PDA

View Full Version : When and how often to train abs?

Ski
01-22-07, 6:11 pm
is it cool to do abs everyday, well the days i work out, monday, tuesday, thurs, and fridays?

i mean im not hitting them hardcore, but just enough to feel it the day after.

IronHouse
01-22-07, 6:16 pm
Abs is like any other muscle, you should give it time to rest and work them with weights. But i guess what you are doing is allright for the abs. Since you giving it a days rest. Is it working? If it is, why stop?

-peace out-
IronHouse

karmazon
01-22-07, 6:45 pm
Just remember, abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym.

Ski
01-22-07, 6:48 pm
thanks for the input guys.

JUGGERNAUT
01-22-07, 7:00 pm
You are ok doing them the way you are but try throwing in a day or two of forcibly heavy abs training (not one or two more days but one or two of your four) and just annihilate them. Holding a dumbbell doing crunches or using more weight on the rope pull downs whatever ... like the guy said about making your Abs in the kitchen I would also like to add you sure as shit can make them thicker and stronger doing what I listed. Don't forget to hit hip flexors with some leg raises (this too you can add weight to in addition to just your legs)

Wonderwheels
01-24-07, 1:48 pm
So fellas, just out of curiousity how many times a week do you hit abs and what sort of exercises do you do? I currently hit them once a week, but I dont think that is doin crap for me. What would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance

Stretch
01-24-07, 1:50 pm
3X per week, High Rep, body weight. Works great for me.

Joe D'Amato
01-24-07, 7:35 pm
i do abs everyday. works good for me.

jermaine
01-24-07, 7:41 pm
1 < ab workouts in a week < 4

Freakshow
01-24-07, 7:43 pm
3 days per week, high reps. Usually leg lifts, crunches, or work on the decline bench with a medicine ball.

joe.ameen
01-24-07, 9:24 pm
I work just about every day. I do crunches both with my legs on the ground and in the air. I shoot for at least two hundred a day but I'm always trying to do more.

Simps
01-24-07, 9:29 pm
Well, for the Navy physical readiness test I can do 105 sit-ups in two minutes. With strict ass form! I probably hit 'em three times a week, half an hour at at time with various exercises. Love the medicine ball.

Maccabee
01-24-07, 10:04 pm
I know some guys who have crazy fast metabolism and always have abs and never work them out. Myself on the other hand i hit them about 4 times a week. It works well for me.

BrokenShell
01-24-07, 10:05 pm
One thing you got to remember with abs is that any exercise you do with your feet/legs being held by a machine or someone else isn't going to hit your abs like you think it will. When you hold your feet down you use your hip flexors more than your abs to perform the movement. Personally I like doing Russian Twists with a medicine ball, Weighted crunches on a Swiss ball, High-Low woodchopp, and a (dont laugh) yoga move where you're on you hands and knees and lift your right hand in front of you at the same time as extending your left leg. To do it right you have to keep your core really tight and I find it helps to keep my stomach flat. It'll also help with stability on other exercises. I do the above usually 3x/week.

Stay strong,
Chris

J D R
03-08-07, 10:06 pm
can i work my abs on a day off...should i let my abs rest just as often as my other muscles or can i work em everyday??

focused
03-08-07, 10:11 pm
can i work my abs on a day off...should i let my abs rest just as often as my other muscles or can i work em everyday??

Calves, abs, and forearms you can work everyday bro. they are all needed in regular daily functions, so blast em' everyday if you want.

JMC
03-09-07, 10:05 am
Calves, abs, and forearms you can work everyday bro. they are all needed in regular daily functions, so blast em' everyday if you want.

Agreed...I work abs every lifting day (2 on/1 off). They've never been as cut as they are right now.

brandonA
03-09-07, 12:17 pm
I have found that the best time for me to do abs are the "off" days...i bust ass so hard on lift days that i dont have anything left in the tank for abs...i need to hit them even harderd though, felt the weakness during squats, kept bending at the waist..not cool..
-B

GRUNT
03-09-07, 12:40 pm
im going with the flow man, work em on days off. I find that i have more strength to work them out hard. IF i do it on my regular work days i get a half assed ab workout, i mean you use your ab muscles for stabilization in alot of exercises...

PuSHiT89
06-10-07, 11:53 pm
wsup fellas... need a little advice here on working in my cardio and ab workout in my routine. for starters i eat good and have a very solid diet. its lean and gets me what i need... but to the point.

i work from 8-4 every day. manual labor at a wildlife refuge, so its not your typical day job. i'm taxed after. i usually hit the gym around 7. and work for near 50 minutes, bustin ass. i lift 4 days a week... no real set on/off days, but i try to get them in during the week.

i plan on doing cardio and abs 3 times a week. would it be better for me to work them in on off days when i have more energy, or after workouts. i know it burns more fat to do cardio after a workout. but if i do abs then run on a fresh day, i was thinking it would be better... hell i dunno i'm just trying to get some opinions. let me know what you all think.

Tron
06-11-07, 12:11 am
The only way to tell is to try it yourself. I personally just get some abs after every one of my work outs.

sully
06-11-07, 10:16 am
yea i agree with Tron; you gotta find what works for u. I do abs every other day in my split and when i do cardio(Im not doing it right now because im bulking), I do it after my worlouts(except for leg day, i do 10 mins before i lift to warm up and 20 mins after) for the reason u have already listed. Another suggestion that i have never tried, but haveheard some do is get ur cardio in right wen u wake up. From what I've read its harder because u got nothing in ur stomach and ur energy is low, but its a good way to burn fat. Cardios a pain for most, but u gotta get it in.

ironshaolin
06-11-07, 10:19 am
if your plan is cardio/abs 3 days a week, try to schedule them on off days, but at least 2 days apart.

BamBam
06-11-07, 1:05 pm
I would try to find a way to get them in on an off day, or personally I get a mile in with some good, nonstop ab work in b4 all my workouts (except legs), then take my Pre Workout stuff, then go to town.

ncsu06
06-11-07, 1:28 pm
yea do cardio in the morning before you go to work if possible....but i always do mine right after i get done lifting.....i would do your most extreme cardio on one of your off days...the other off days just rest....no need to jepordize your rest with some light cardio that you can do after a workout...hope this helps..good luck brothers

damitramit
01-15-08, 2:50 am
how often should 1 train abs in a week?and should one do lower.middle and obliques all at once? or can i divide em?can i do like lower one day..middle..the next and then obliques a seperate days?or do all 3 at once?

Toni69
01-15-08, 3:12 am
Im an abs girl you see..so asking me this question, you may not like my answer..or you may. LOL...also I have good genetics when it comes to ab development...usually abs are the first thing that comes out on me for show prep...then my back..chest...and so on.

I always found targeting the weak areas of abs first and foremost to be the best option here..such as your transverse abdominus (which most people seem to ignore). These are the muscles you cannot see on the outside but they support and cushion your low back and your lowback supports your transverse..they work together. These muscles must be trained often because these muscles are your stabilizing muscles for every lift you do in the gym. This requires loads of core training and real concentrated movements. Once you get this going..everything else falls into place. The next thing that most people have issues with are the lower areas of the rectus abdominus (that long strip of ab muscle down the center of your midsection).

To strengthen and tighten this area requires very difficult moves and if your transverse isnt strong...you wont pull those lower abs moves off with proper form.

I like training abs every other day till I cant breathe normally anymore..I mean I train them hard but I dont do loads of sets cause I dont need to. The sets I do..are very difficult for the average person to perform correctly and it took me a while to build that strength as well.

I say start hitting abs 3x a week....and go from there. I always figured...if I trained abs and was really sore the next day..I would give that muscle group enough recovery time before I hit it again..like you would any other muscle group. But the exercises I chose for my abs were very specific to what I wanted to work. Sometimes I did only core training using the physio balls, medicine balls, floor work...other times I hit machines, used cables...did hanging sorta stuff with my bw...just change it up and train your abs like you would any other muscle group you enjoy training.

Dozer
01-15-08, 3:47 am
I'll second the core training bit--I was involved with martial arts, and we did a few crunches, etc., but the majority of our training involved straight core work. It worked--everyone in the dojo had a 6-pack..

I used to train twice a week and it was enough for me. Just think of it this way--the more you do, train less often. If you want to train abs more often, do less work each time so as to not wear yourself out--the abs are involved as stabilizers in every lift..

ReLoaDeD57
01-15-08, 4:00 am
omg i can't stress enough on the CORE... I can't remember the details but .. there was this lady ... let's just call her jane.. jane had a tremendous amount of problems with her back.. so she went to the doctor and the doctor would do all these types of massages to help with her lower back and anything you could think of .. from taking medication of the back to back braces.. she went from doctor to doctor to doctor.. until finally one the smart docs recommended her to a physical therapist and the.. doc told jane .. all you need to do is work on you're core... just work on you're abs and you're core will fix you back so a month or so later jane NEVER had a back problem

Toni69
01-15-08, 4:30 am
Absolutely agree with the abs/back connection..for most cases. My case is different cause I have 2 bulging disks and a central protrusion at L5/S1...so as strong as my abs are...my back still suffers...however, my back is better than what it was last year cause of the core training I do and the types of ab training and stretching I do.

When your bulking...some may still keep their lines in their abs, like I do..I still get loads of water retention there though. I still train my abs so they remain strong and conditioned; I just dont worry so much about how they look on the outside as long as my midsection is firm and strong overall, thats all I care about in my offseason.

I see many people go from one extreme to another with abs..either they go on bulks and totally ingore their guts, eh hem..abs..LOL...or they worry too much about the bulking process and desire to keep a tight ass midsection on the outside while gaining all this weight on a bulk..forgetting the abdominal muscles on the inside, the transverse abdominus we talked about in my first post here. Then these people attempt these heavy ass lifts and wonder why they get back pains. hmmmm???

RoJoHen
01-15-08, 6:17 am
^So if you had a basic ab/core workout to recommend to start with, what would it be? And if you're doing it 3 times a week, it will likely overlap with your other training, so would you do it at the beginning, end, or middle of your workout?

My abs are definitely my most neglected muscle group, and I'm trying to fix that, but I need a decent routine.

damitramit
01-15-08, 8:49 am
good input guys, thanks! looks like i definetly need more core training!!

shepsc02
01-15-08, 11:23 am
So fellas, just out of curiousity how many times a week do you hit abs and what sort of exercises do you do? I currently hit them once a week, but I dont think that is doin crap for me. What would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance

However many times a week you do abs, make sure you are cooncentrating just as hard on cardio so your ab workouts will be worth something

pmug0000
01-15-08, 11:35 am
I think it doesn't really matter how often to train abs. I've seen guy with 8 packs who train abs every day, I've seen guys with cut abs who never train them. I personally go for twice a week, on days when I don't lift.
I think it is all about training intensity, cardio, and especially DIET for a carved out set of abs.

Toni69
01-15-08, 1:33 pm
it does matter if your concentrating on strengthening your core and building a foundation..a structure of sorts. We arent necessarily focusing on the chisled abs look cause genetics, diet and cardio run that show. However, if you dont train your abs, when you diet down...you may have nothing to diet down to...like any other muscle..you will look flat and scrawny.

Toni69
01-15-08, 1:43 pm
^So if you had a basic ab/core workout to recommend to start with, what would it be? And if you're doing it 3 times a week, it will likely overlap with your other training, so would you do it at the beginning, end, or middle of your workout?

My abs are definitely my most neglected muscle group, and I'm trying to fix that, but I need a decent routine.

I train my abs every other day usually but like I said...I dont just get on the floor and crunch till it hurts. I do abs exercises that target specific weak areas and to strengthen my core and this is how I build a great and strong midsection. I will train abs after my lifting or after my cardio...sometimes in between sets instead of just resting. Like today...I was actually supersetting deads off the floor with hanging reverse crunches.

I would say, to start...get on that physio ball...work with a medicine ball and start strengthening your core. I can give you a wo if you want...pm me if you need help organizing a wo.

Dozer
01-15-08, 7:48 pm
Twice a week--one day I'll do core movements, mainly planks. The other day I'll do crunches on a decline bench, romanian twists, and leg lifts. I like to keep it simple.

The Consumate Dragon
01-16-08, 6:33 am
Absolutely agree with the abs/back connection..for most cases. My case is different cause I have 2 bulging disks and a central protrusion at L5/S1...so as strong as my abs are...my back still suffers...however, my back is better than what it was last year cause of the core training I do and the types of ab training and stretching I do.

I have a similar problem. I have spondilolithesis at L4, L5 & L6. For a long time i would work my abs and still have a small amount of back pain (from a car crash). Once i did some core work, the back pain has started to fade away. I can still feel the place where my discs/vertebrae have moved foward, but they have moved back into place a little. Enough to help.

That, and i'll be honest, starting out with deadlifting just the bar and moving VERY slowly up in weight helped me get abs and a stronger back. Honest. I've got better abs now than i did with abs 3 or 4 times a week. Different strokes i guess.

LegendKillerJosh
01-16-08, 11:24 am
The only time my abs get a workout is when I squeeze them doing squats or deads. Maybe a few times a year(?) I actually hit them with direct work.

Toni69
01-16-08, 11:30 am
The only time my abs get a workout is when I squeeze them doing squats or deads. Maybe a few times a year(?) I actually hit them with direct work.

wouldnt direct work mean actually targeting your ab muscles with ab exercises? If your relying on their contractions during squats and deads..they are assisting the lift...being indirectly affected...in my opinion...cause the main muscles being directed in those moves are not your abs...they are a stabilizing muscle in those movements.

Some people just have strong abs and a strong low back naturally, therefore squats and deads dont challenge their abs as much. If I didnt train my abs the way I do...my deads would suffer because I wouldnt be able to control my breathing and muscle contractions properly with each lift. I have caught myself holding my breadth on occasion and man..thats not good on your abs at all.

Zealz
02-05-08, 8:11 pm
Hey just a real quick question on abbs. How often should they be done, and around what body fat percentage do you see them, ? Thanks

DreamZero
02-05-08, 8:14 pm
I like to do it 3-4 times a week, 1 exercice, 3 to 5 sets, 8 to 15 reps.. You'll start seeing upper row around 15%, and solid 6-pack around 8-9%

Zealz
02-05-08, 8:20 pm
thanks alot man.

damitramit
02-20-08, 2:16 am
can i seperate my ab workout and do em rigth when i wake up? or should i do em AFTER my workout? does it matter? and if so..should i isolate and seprate each parts ..like one day..lower..next obliques..next mid..?or just do em all in one day and do em every other day?

pmug0000
02-20-08, 12:05 pm
I don't see any reason not to separate your ab workout from the rest of your routine, in fact I think it's a pretty good idea if you've actually got the time. As for splitting up the sections of your abs, I think you shouldn't get too caught up with it. All of the abdominal muscles are connected, and even when you do an exercise that emphasizes the upper abs, the other areas will get some work too.
Just train abs a few times a week, and vary your exercises every once in a while, and you should be fine.

Nephilim
02-20-08, 12:46 pm
I never heard it matters when you do them, but get them done. I cant stand people doing 100000000000000000000000 situps and best ab work out.

Use weioghts when you work out your abs. Nothing that crazy needed, you'll notice a difference.

Universal Rep
02-20-08, 12:50 pm
Fellas, let's use the search function so as to not clutter up this place. This thread is about timing of ab training: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1039&highlight=abs

Giocatore4
02-20-08, 4:00 pm
The way that I like to train em is 4x a week focusing on the different sections of the abdominals.

Workouts 1 & 3: (Upper and Lower Abs)
Workouts 2 & 4: (Obliques)

As for the exercises, my current program is flexible based on the amount of effort I feel my abs need that day. If I am disappointed in the last workout, I will hit em first, or may add an extra set or number of reps. Every few weeks I sub in an exercise and sub one out. I like to keep the abs (as well as the other muscles guessing as to what's coming at them).

A plan would look something like this:

Day 1: (Upper and Lower)
Incline Hip Raise (4 sets x 15)
Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches (5 sets til failure)
Hanging Leg Raise (4 sets x 15)
Weighted Cable Crunches (Rope) (5 sets til failure)

Day 2: OFF

Day 3: (Obliques)
Decline Oblique Crunches (5 sets x 20)
Weighted Russian Twist (4 sets x 1 minute)
Weighted Side Bends (4 sets x 15)
Seated Medicine Ball Twists (5 sets til failure)

Day 4: (Upper and Lower)
Repeat Day 1, switch up the order

Day 5: OFF

Day 6: (Obliques)
Repeat Day 2, switch up the order

Day 7: Off

'til failure is basically when you collapse to the ground, but you can't lay perfectly flat because your abs are still contracted, and you can't sit all the way up because your abs are screaming for rest. I love that feeling.

But like other people have said, Abs are made in the kitchen. Make sure you are eating clean and getting enough water or else all of your hard work will be hidden behind that added layer built by oreos and ice cream. It might taste good going down, but accomplishing your goals is something that tastes even better.

Just my two cents.

scals
02-26-08, 10:52 pm
Hey brothers,

I'm about to start cutting and someone told me that when they cut they do both cardio and abs first thing in the morning. Last time I cut I just did cardio. Is it a good idea to hit abs before your first meal with cardio, or do you guys think its better to add them in with whatever you're training that day. Thanks a lot.

Scals

Classified09
02-26-08, 11:05 pm
Abs are just another muscle group, train them when you have time.

As for cardio, time varies. Some do cardio in the morning because you're running off fat stores and by doing it before your first meal you are essentially burning fat.

I personally do my cardio post workout. I changed from steady state to HIIT and damn, shits difficult.

When it comes down to it, as long as it gets done, thats what counts. Sure certain times are more optimal but as long as your bustin your ass bro, your on the right track.

GL

Carpe Diem P.T
02-26-08, 11:28 pm
Abs are just another muscle group, train them when you have time.

As for cardio, time varies. Some do cardio in the morning because you're running off fat stores and by doing it before your first meal you are essentially burning fat.

I personally do my cardio post workout. I changed from steady state to HIIT and damn, shits difficult.

When it comes down to it, as long as it gets done, thats what counts. Sure certain times are more optimal but as long as your bustin your ass bro, your on the right track.

GL

im totally agreeing with this guy. he is on the ball.

Its best to do your abs in the middle of your work out. when i write programs for clients, i find if i leave their abs to the end of their work out, they dont get done. if i program them in the middle, they get done.

Just dont be doing 3 sets of 400 crunches. throw some resistance in, use med balls and decline. do some twists and keep it all slow. The longer they are under the load, the better.

Another tip: breathe and breathe hard. You cant 'crunch' a stomach thats full of air.

vgiordano
02-27-08, 1:21 pm
One thing you got to remember with abs is that any exercise you do with your feet/legs being held by a machine or someone else isn't going to hit your abs like you think it will. When you hold your feet down you use your hip flexors more than your abs to perform the movement. Personally I like doing Russian Twists with a medicine ball, Weighted crunches on a Swiss ball, High-Low woodchopp, and a (dont laugh) yoga move where you're on you hands and knees and lift your right hand in front of you at the same time as extending your left leg. To do it right you have to keep your core really tight and I find it helps to keep my stomach flat. It'll also help with stability on other exercises. I do the above usually 3x/week.

Stay strong,
Chris

What ab sets do you prefer then?

Hellreaver
02-28-08, 9:14 pm
Ok, here's the deal, or my opinion at least. A day off is just that. A day OFF. Not doing abs, not doing cardio, not lifting weights or moving your grandma's house from California to New Jersey. Your body needs time to recuperate, not only the muscles, but the cardiovascular system and immune system as well. Any stress placed on the body lowers your body's immune system. As far as doing abs, calves, and forearms everyday, people are different. Personally, I would never train any body two days in a row. The point is to become stronger, right? So training the next day when your abs are still a bit sore defeats the purpose of letting the muscles recuperate and grow stronger. By the way, if you are NOT sore the next day, you definitely are not working the muscle hard enough, or you have plateaued and you need to change things up. Personally, I feel like my forearms are lagging a bit, so I've upped my forearm training to twice per week. That's enough for me that my forearms are responding favorably. I'm noticing a lot more size AND separation. Find what works for yourself, but don't overtrain. Give your muscles time to rest. Take at least one or two days of FULL rest, no exercise at all.

train.eat.supp.sleep
03-14-08, 4:39 pm
trying to get the six pack..cutting down the bf%, but should i do abs every day? or every other day?

Maccabee
03-14-08, 4:48 pm
I usually hit abs 2 times a week and some times 3. In my opinion I think you should do the same.

Torque757
03-14-08, 4:52 pm
trying to get the six pack..cutting down the bf%, but should i do abs every day? or every other day?

Less. You could not do abs at all, it all depends on your bf %. Do not fool yourself into thinking the more you do abs the better they will show.

Like Pokoritel said, 2-3x a week is best.

BrotherInArms
03-14-08, 8:12 pm
Less. You could not do abs at all, it all depends on your bf %. Do not fool yourself into thinking the more you do abs the better they will show.

Like Pokoritel said, 2-3x a week is best.

Dude, seriously?
Abs, like any other muscle in your body have to be exercised regularly to prevent atrophy. Keep the form nice and slow because with abs quality reings supreme, not quantity. Hit them often as long as they're not too sore. Same rings true with calves.

LegendKillerJosh
03-14-08, 10:16 pm
I wouldn't train abs any more than any other muscle group. 1 time per week max.

Phil800101
03-14-08, 11:57 pm
I hit my abs three times a week. One exercise for about four-five sets. Works for me.

Seifer
03-15-08, 12:01 am
My abs respond best to 3 days a week. Anything less is, well, less.

Hanging leg raises

Decline crunches

Side crunches

Serratus (sp?) crunch*

*changes every workout

elgallo89
04-08-08, 11:12 am
is there anyway i can workout abs everday or is that considered overtraining. I had read you can workout abs since u use that muscle everday for other bodyparts....tell wut u think brothers

Ou1champions
09-24-08, 12:14 pm
How Often should you train abs?

What are some good routines to do for abs?

Mangekyou
01-18-09, 5:52 pm
I am curious as to how you guys work your abdomen and how often you do it, i personally work it monday, wednesday, and friday i do 650 reps each day for abdomen, besides the major body part im working out that day and calves i also do calves on those three days, that being said....you guys think its too much? I mean my abdomen is very defined however i read an article that said all you need is 5-6 sets and about 8-12 reps at most then it just recomends diet,rest, and plenty of water. Also when you do Legs, is it ok to do abdomen? Any suggestions and help appreciated

redskin 344
01-18-09, 6:05 pm
You basically work strengthen your abs everytime at an intense workout with intense breathing so IMO you are working your abs all the time. It is the powerhouse of your body and weak abs create a weak body.

rocky36
01-18-09, 6:10 pm
650 reps ?? damn thats alot

J Wong
01-18-09, 6:13 pm
If it's working for you, keep on doing it.

TigerAce01
01-18-09, 6:13 pm
I am curious as to how you guys work your abdomen and how often you do it, i personally work it monday, wednesday, and friday i do 650 reps each day for abdomen, besides the major body part im working out that day and calves i also do calves on those three days, that being said....you guys think its too much? I mean my abdomen is very defined however i read an article that said all you need is 5-6 sets and about 8-12 reps at most then it just recomends diet,rest, and plenty of water. Also when you do Legs, is it ok to do abdomen? Any suggestions and help appreciated

I too work my abs multiple times through the week, usually only twice though. Once after chest and the other after arms, Mon and Fri respectively. Three days shouldn't be too bad, but maybe go with just twice. For calves, I know of a lot of guys that train their calves two or three times a week... but they all have tiny calves. When you hit calves, don't pussy foot, you have to be absolutely intense, you have to kill your calves to make them grow. I train them once a week, and when they used to be a weak point, I trained them first, before chest.

My current calf routine:
Standing Calf Raise - 300lbs x 12, 350lbs x 10, 400lbs x 8
-ss-
Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets to 100 reps
Donkey Calf Raise - 3 sets of 25 reps
-ss-
1 Minute Tip Toe Hold (following each set of Donkey's)

This routine is not for the faint of heart, but it will absolutely get your calves growing. Only do it once a week, anymore than that and you will not grow.

Hope this helped.

-Ace

arsilva
01-18-09, 6:40 pm
I too work my abs multiple times through the week, usually only twice though. Once after chest and the other after arms, Mon and Fri respectively. Three days shouldn't be too bad, but maybe go with just twice. For calves, I know of a lot of guys that train their calves two or three times a week... but they all have tiny calves. When you hit calves, don't pussy foot, you have to be absolutely intense, you have to kill your calves to make them grow. I train them once a week, and when they used to be a weak point, I trained them first, before chest.

My current calf routine:
Standing Calf Raise - 300lbs x 12, 350lbs x 10, 400lbs x 8
-ss-
Seated Calf Raise - 3 sets to 100 reps
Donkey Calf Raise - 3 sets of 25 reps
-ss-
1 Minute Tip Toe Hold (following each set of Donkey's)

This routine is not for the faint of heart, but it will absolutely get your calves growing. Only do it once a week, anymore than that and you will not grow.

Hope this helped.

-Ace

some serious weight on that standing raise bro. i've been stoked gettin my 260x12's in lol

to OP, i currently train my calves twice a week, go heavy, for 8-10 sets. but this may not have been what did it for me. what i really feel helped was a fundamental concept: switching it up. for alot of the time i had been lifting, i trained calves 3 times a week, high rep sets, never lower than 20 reps. once i switched to sets of 12-6 twice a week, they blew up

Mangekyou
01-18-09, 8:37 pm
Thanks for the advice everyone ill take it into consideration.

J.Damico
01-18-09, 9:34 pm
If it's working for you, keep on doing it.

x2 everyones body is different. Go with what yours tells you. You are the only one who knows how it will respond to certain stimuli

Cstlfx
01-18-09, 11:03 pm
I do my lower abs on tricep day, upper abs on bicep day, then obliques every other week after DE leg or dead day (I do a westside variation).

mritter3
01-19-09, 8:24 am
my abs get hit everytime im in the gym as long as im lifting heavy my core is being worked, i usually finish my workout with 2 sets of hanging knee raises, and some weighted sit ups.

Tron
01-20-09, 12:26 am
As long as you don't wear a belt for squats and such exercises needed for stabilization... you should get a strong core. The rest is just low BF and icing on the cake.

theharjmann
01-20-09, 6:50 am
As long as you don't wear a belt for squats and such exercises needed for stabilization... you should get a strong core. The rest is just low BF and icing on the cake.

yeah man, i usually do a little bit of abs after back, after legs and after arms.

on back and leg day, i can just about to 2 sets of 12 reps on leg raises or something like that.....i never wear a belt, so squats, deadlifts, walking lunges and rows all hit my abs like nothing else. I just to a bit of abs at the end just to finish them off.

Personally, I would say to stick with the compound movements for your abs, and use direct ab work as "the icing on the cake".

Peace

redskin 344
01-20-09, 5:42 pm
If anyone has heard of the 'scissor' method of ab training, it incredibly cranks up the intensity and tension in your abs. This is when you push your knees towards eachother while doing heavy crunches or whatever ab exercise.

For example, sit down and tense your abs and place your fists inbetween your knees and push your knees together so you crush your fists together, you will notice that your abs tense even harder.

It is a tension technique soviet trainers and specs use for core workout.

phlex_ing
01-20-09, 5:50 pm
abs in the winter?? damn i'm still working on getting my bulking belly nice and round. i don't worry with abs untill late may.

live2lift
01-20-09, 6:01 pm
I agree with the earlier post...if its working dont bother changing it. I think you can do abs after legs since you are probably not using extreme weights while doing them. Good luck with your 8 pack bro.

Peace

RooRooTJ
01-21-09, 3:28 pm
I agree with the earlier post...if its working dont bother changing it. I think you can do abs after legs since you are probably not using extreme weights while doing them. Good luck with your 8 pack bro.

Peace

I believe it is dependant on the person. I used to work abs 3 times a week and didnt get very good results. Now I work them everyday and get very good results.

quejo
09-08-10, 3:13 pm
I know some of u know it all's will get angry about my question but so what....besides dieting and cardio..how many reps of ab work should one do daily to get a 6 pack?and what r the best exercises for abs?

calcaneous
09-08-10, 3:36 pm
do the exercises you feel hit those muscles.

I dont ever feel my "lower' abs when i do hanging knee raises, so i dont do them.

Aggression
09-08-10, 3:39 pm
Reverse Crunches, Lying Leg Raises, Hanging Leg/Knee Raises. Focus on what you're doing. Don't just swing yourself up and down. If you're doing it right, you'll be able to feel it in your lower abs.

C.Coronato
09-08-10, 3:46 pm
Reverse Crunches, Lying Leg Raises, Hanging Leg/Knee Raises.

AMEN. Good things right there. Thats what i like to do. Usually 3-4 sets of each.

SpankyC
09-08-10, 4:48 pm
do the exercises you feel hit those muscles.

I dont ever feel my "lower' abs when i do hanging knee raises, so i dont do them.

Really? Try slowing down the movement and squeeze each rep rather than just going through the motions.

SpankyC
09-08-10, 4:48 pm
I know some of u know it all's will get angry about my question but so what....besides dieting and cardio..how many reps of ab work should one do daily to get a 6 pack?and what r the best exercises for abs?

Abs are a muscle, so you wanna build it? Train it like if it were your chest or arms, 3-4 sets each exercise, squeeze each rep out, control the negative etc.

quejo
09-08-10, 5:29 pm
I appreciate the info fellas

Machine
09-08-10, 8:08 pm
Rubbish...

I have said this a million times...but no one listens. And American bodybuilders always have been worried about the abdominals. The fact is that the abdominals, primarily - are what holds the upper and lower body together. By virtue of that fact, and because of the ancillary work the abdominals receive through major bodypart training, athletics, and through daily living...there is no real reason to train the abdominals directly.

Having said that, if you are a competitive athlete such as a strongman, powerlifter, olympic lifter, or practioner of the big 4 sports...my answer is decidedly different.

Your efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

MACHINE

Cellardweller
09-08-10, 11:12 pm
Rubbish...

I have said this a million times...but no one listens. And American bodybuilders always have been worried about the abdominals. The fact is that the abdominals, primarily - are what holds the upper and lower body together. By virtue of that fact, and because of the ancillary work the abdominals receive through major bodypart training, athletics, and through daily living...there is no real reason to train the abdominals directly.

Having said that, if you are a competitive athlete such as a strongman, powerlifter, olympic lifter, or practioner of the big 4 sports...my answer is decidedly different.

MACHINE

Setting aesthetics aside, don't you worry about an imbalance in your core strength? Wouldn't that invite injury?

J Wong
09-08-10, 11:19 pm
I used to rarely train abs, but at the start of my current training cycle I stayed consistent and trained them after my deadlift workout, bench workout, and squat workout. Coincidentally, my squat and deadlift are feeling stronger then ever right now. I don't know if it is due to the extra ab work or the programming I have myself following, but something is working and I would like to think the extra ab work has a part in my improvement.

SpankyC
09-08-10, 11:23 pm
Rubbish...

MACHINE

Sheesh! Someone needs a chill pill!!! hahaah JK!

agree with ya, doing the big movements will def make your mid core grow

Legacy
09-09-10, 12:21 am
Setting aesthetics aside, don't you worry about an imbalance in your core strength? Wouldn't that invite injury?

I agree with you cellardweller. Putting aesthetics aside, just because you weight train doesn't no mean your core and balanced. I am a firm believer in dynamic and performance based abdominal routines to engage all aspects of the core and lower back to make sure everything is properly balanced. Helps with overall strength and also with posture and spine alignment; again setting aesthetics aside.

Machine
09-09-10, 8:28 pm

Everything we do invites injury...having said that, I dont believe in the idea of a "core imbalance" Think of what that implies...all of the living evolutionary physiology compressed into the machinations of the human body, and we hold out the theory that the human design can potentiate flaws such as a "core imbalance."

I dont mean to be terse but I don't believe in ghosts...

Most hard training athletes' cores are just fine whether we want them to be or not, the daily activities of most people, whether they weight train or not, insure that the strength of they're cores is acceptable. The body's inborn processes and systems have seen to that as a matter of course.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for your insight though, it is greatly appreciated.

MACHINE

Cellardweller
09-09-10, 9:48 pm
I don't know. I'm not sold on that yet. I agree that there's ab involvement with pulldowns, squats, deads and even bicepts curls. Average people definitly aren't. I see an abundance of pot bellied people come into the ER with back problems. I think most people rely on just their back. I don't see how normal daily activities give your abs any kind of work. Abdominal hernias are also pretty common in older, but not exactly elderly people.

Reacher34
09-09-10, 11:21 pm
I'm willing to set aesthetics aside... but I still must say this: When I train abs consistently (1-2x a week), my squat and deadlift will both feel much stronger and stable. I found this out through experience and without any preconceived notions that this would be the outcome.

Perhaps its because I'm not being efficient and "staying tight" when I perform squats and deadlifts. And maybe training abs simply puts me more "in touch" with the need to stay tight. Either way, my body responds and my training is better if I work my abs. I don't obliterate my abs, I do anywhere from 4-10 sets total of various exercises.

Is this an "imbalance" or is it simply me failing to engage the whole body in my squats and deadlifts?

Machine
09-10-10, 11:49 pm
I don't know. I'm not sold on that yet. I agree that there's ab involvement with pulldowns, squats, deads and even bicepts curls. Average people definitly aren't. I see an abundance of pot bellied people come into the ER with back problems. I think most people rely on just their back. I don't see how normal daily activities give your abs any kind of work. Abdominal hernias are also pretty common in older, but not exactly elderly people.

Are you saying that pot bellied people's core is not affected by the very virtue of the fact that they are pot bellied?

Are you saying that pot bellied people dont reach to place things on shelves, bend over to pick things up, turn from side to side, walk up and down stairs, etc, etc?

Incidentally, many, many, many bodybuilders, power lifters, strong men, football players, and even some basketball players are pot bellied...are you saying that they're cores are not affected by their daily activites as well as their athletic exertions?

When I say everything...I mean everything we do impacts our core stability and balance...it is incidental to all that we do.

Did I wear you down yet?

MACHINE

charlievanriper
09-11-10, 12:06 am
Rubbish...

MACHINE

Agreed total Rubbish x2. I dont train Abs, I wont train abs, and I have a great set of Abs, Once every 14 to 21 days I may do a couple sets, but then I remember what a waste of time it is and dont do them anymore. Abs are built in the kitchen not in the gym, quit wasting time and energy that could be used better under some heavy lifts.

Cellardweller
09-11-10, 1:31 pm
Did I wear you down yet?
MACHINE

I'm ready for another set bro!

Don't you have to build your abs like quads or any other body part? Sure you can shed fat through a tight diet, but are you going to have a shreaded 6-pack just by holding your core tight during a set? You're saying your upper and lower abs both get worked out? Don't you have to build your peaks and valleys like any other body part? This is coming from a guy who's never had a 6-pack.

I still think avg people aren't useing their abs much. Even when working out, you have to consciously make a little effort to hold those abs tight. Do average people hold their abs tight when they carry the groceries from the car? Nope. Its all back work.

ontheEDGE
09-11-10, 1:49 pm
My abs show all the time. Ripped? I wouldn't say that but as I drop body fat percentage they show more and more, especially if I tighten them up. Anyway the point is that I do very little ab exercises at all, so in my experience getting that six pack is more about body fat than any amount of sit ups you do. That said I think it's a good policy to keep some ab work in any routine for synergy if nothing else, and maybe it does help that "core". It can't hurt so I throw a few sets in. Like Machine said though I wouldn't recommend spending a ton of time on them.

charlievanriper
09-11-10, 2:20 pm
My abs show all the time. Ripped? I wouldn't say that but as I drop body fat percentage they show more and more, especially if I tighten them up. Anyway the point is that I do very little ab exercises at all, so in my experience getting that six pack is more about body fat than any amount of sit ups you do. That said I think it's a good policy to keep some ab work in any routine for synergy if nothing else, and maybe it does help that "core". It can't hurt so I throw a few sets in. Like Machine said though I wouldn't recommend spending a ton of time on them.

Again agreed get over it people if you want to waste your time and energy have fun but the rest of those of us that want to grow and change our bodies "DONT DO ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT ACTUALLY BUILD MUSCLE"

Cellardweller
09-11-10, 2:48 pm
It just sounds too good to be true. It's like someone saying you don't have to do dead lifts because everytime you lift a plate up to the bar on the squat rack you get enough low back workout.

Fearless Rabbit
09-11-10, 3:21 pm
Ever saw a strong guy in the gym, who benches twice his weight, with no abs? I sure did. Most of these guys have their bellies come out of a corner before them.

Ever saw a guy who can run for full hour without rest, with belly? No? Me neither. They`re all ripped to the bones. Some are muscular, and some are not, but perfect abs are present in any case.

So, my 2cents are cardio and proper diet. Low bf% is the key, how you get there is a matter of personal choice.

Cellardweller
09-11-10, 3:32 pm
Again, aesthetics aside,fork aside, it doesn't seem like enough. Even most (but not all) of the Animal routines include abs and those routines come from guys like Machine, G, House, all the U-guys and Vinny.