PDA

View Full Version : Unleash the animal within-my journey from fat to fit

Pages : [1] 2

fatbackgoal
09-12-07, 9:23 pm
Well here is the rundown. I am 39 6'5" 310 lbs at 44%. I have always lifted but never seriously with a goal in mind. I have decided I now want to be in the best shape of my life by the time I turn 40 in December. I have started working on my diet by cleaning it up but want to add supps into the mix. I am currently using cellmass, IDS waxymaize and a protein powder. My goals are in this order:

1- reduce bodyfat
2- reduce weight
3- add muscle size and strength
4- compete in a masters event

I will be doing the 4 day split routine from the AOM and working out at the local YMCA. I know the big portion of my transformation will be diet and cardio. Diet has always been a problem with me as I am able to follow the plan for a day or two but always trip up. Looking back I realize this was due to me not taking the time to plan properly and set myself up to succeed rather than fail.

I know this journey will be a long one but realize with hard work and patience all things can be accomplished. I look forward to sharing this journey, learning from the knowledge in these forums and maybe one day inspiring someone else to reach their potential.

fatbackgoal
10-28-07, 10:00 am
Slowly getting into a groove of changing from the out of shape fat bastard I am now to someone who looks like they care. Have joined a gym and trying to go regularly, but with my new job it has been difficult. I have been there long enough now and made the adjustments to my schedule to get in consistent effective workouts. So much out there about what works best that it can be confusing but I feel if I do the basics of diet along with consistent workouts will see results.

Pizzalamp
10-29-07, 10:41 am
good luck bro
if u have any questions ill gladly help u out

simpleguy
10-29-07, 10:46 am
good luck bro
if u have any questions ill gladly help u out

x2

you know what they say, consistency is the key bro, keep on doing what you gotta do to reach your goals

Malloy1344
10-29-07, 11:23 am
rock on bro, stay focused, stay dedicated and were here to help!

fatbackgoal
05-14-08, 5:28 pm
Well I have gone back and forth but now will be the time I am looking and going forward. I purchased a home and now have a garage where I can put the equipment in that I want and will use. Will be buying a Cap 300lbs set, a wavemaster punching bag and have a sledgehammer, flipping tire and sled tire.

The most important part of the journey is my diet and I along with the help and support of my wife will be making those changes. I am taking Flex and will be adding the Pak shortly.

I look forward to the support and assistance from everyone on the board and will thank you in advance for helping me along my journey to become the best me possible!!

fatbackgoal
05-26-08, 8:07 am
Went out and bought a weight set on Saturday and am slowly building up the home gym. My wife has been great about encouraging me to do so which is huge for support. I don't want to let her faith in me down.

Just working on small stuff now as I am really starting slowly with the weights. I want to make sure I have proper form built up before adding the heavy weights. The next step is getting the diet in order which as I am sure with a lot of people on here the problem is I know what needs to be done just have a hard time putting it into action on a consistent basis. Saw an article by Dax Moy about his elimination diet which should be a good place to start.

Well today is tire sled day then tomorrow will be back to the weights. Looking forward to the Iowa ABC meet this Saturday.

js71474
05-26-08, 11:01 am
Congrats on starting your journey! You have set forth some great goals and it is a road that once you are on it there is no turning back. You have joined the best place in the world for info, help, motivation and brotherhood, because we are all on a journey of our own. We have all got your back, and keep it up bro cause it only gets better from here. Good luck and I am subbed in here to keep up with your progress.

Pizzalamp
05-26-08, 11:08 pm
Went out and bought a weight set on Saturday and am slowly building up the home gym. My wife has been great about encouraging me to do so which is huge for support. I don't want to let her faith in me down.

Just working on small stuff now as I am really starting slowly with the weights. I want to make sure I have proper form built up before adding the heavy weights. The next step is getting the diet in order which as I am sure with a lot of people on here the problem is I know what needs to be done just have a hard time putting it into action on a consistent basis. Saw an article by Dax Moy about his elimination diet which should be a good place to start.

Well today is tire sled day then tomorrow will be back to the weights. Looking forward to the Iowa ABC meet this Saturday.

have fun at the abc!

fatbackgoal
05-31-08, 1:54 pm
I was able to go to my first Iowa ABC meet today and it was good. A really good group of guys and it felt real good to get under some heavy weights for a change. Working out with the crew really lit a fire in me, what I needed.

js71474
05-31-08, 3:52 pm
Can't wait to have an event in SC, glad that it was the fire you were looking for! Post up the routine.

HallettHawk
06-02-08, 12:23 pm
I was able to go to my first Iowa ABC meet today and it was good. A really good group of guys and it felt real good to get under some heavy weights for a change. Working out with the crew really lit a fire in me, what I needed.

Glad to help with the fire!!! Keep a focus of your goals and you will reach them. Next ABC in Jesup we are going to train the wheels!! Get ready to do some squats!!!

shortstack
06-04-08, 9:40 pm
Glad that you liked the pics. You're a true animal and if I can help in anyway with your goals, let me know.
Also don't hesitate to hit pizza and some of the other guys up for help. Pizza I know personally and you won't find a more giving, helpful....well wait on here you'll find all kinds of helpful people...hahaha, but Pizza is one of the best and full of great knowledge.

Welcome to the Animal Family.

Shortstack

fatbackgoal
06-07-08, 1:15 pm
No reasoning for this morning, I just wanted to hit back so I did bent over rows. Not any heavy weight I just wanted to really get the reps in which I did going for 6 sets of 10. Followed that up with some hand over hand tire drags. I really need to order a proper rope that is nice and thick to help with the grip and forearm strength.

Diet is still the big question as I go well for a little bit then fall off. I need to be more diligent in planning out meals and preparing them. This week I am buying more tupperware and will prepare the complete days meal the night before. I have been able to get in a good breakfast of scrambled eggs(usually 4 whites/2 yolks) with mushrooms and grits.

Ordered a sandbag from Josh Henkins' site and will just need to get the cage or multi rack system and garage gym will be complete.

And thanks to all for the support.

badrock
06-07-08, 1:20 pm
good luck with your journey my friend

Pizzalamp
06-07-08, 7:50 pm
stay strong bro...yeah def cooking and planning is a big part...your breakfast sounds good to me right now

shortstack
06-09-08, 1:22 pm
How's the battle going??? Don't forget about the meet this Saturday in Jesup again. I'll be meeting my local guys at the MAC at 8 or so to see who wants to ride together.

Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll see ya there.

Shortstack

fatbackgoal
06-19-08, 7:00 pm
I did a home workout today of the following:

BB Rows 5x8
Stiff Leg deads 4x8
High Pulls 4x8
KB Cleans 4x8

I am in a phase right now of just getting the body used to working out on a consistent schedule. Once I have gotten thru a pre-workout phase I will be switching to working out three days a week doing Legs, Back, Chest and on the off days using a tire sled among other things for conditioning. Tonight or Friday I will be putting up my eating plan to hopefully get some feedback.

fatbackgoal
06-21-08, 9:52 am
woke up this morning with a good workout of:

Floor presses 5x10
Pushups 5xfailure
Standing BB presses 4x8

I am really trying to workout out with weights every other day and should be able to get that power rack I want in the next couple of months. Until then have to make due with what I have and go from there.

Eating has been crappy all week but this next week will be more routine and can get back to good habits.

fatbackgoal
06-28-08, 11:34 pm
Well I started a new job this week and I have to say it looks like it will be pretty good. The hours are good and the folks are laid back and enjoy what they do. I have the option of a discounted membership to MAC but don't really have a branch by me so will see what I do. As I am going thru my orientation they tell me there is a fitness room onsite. I wasn't expecting much maybe a busted treadmill and a 1970's Nautilus machine. To my surprise I walk in and find a complete locker room with showers, dumbbells going up to 90 pounds and a BodyLine powerrack with about 400 pounds of weights.

Yesterday I busted out 4 sets of 5 on my back routine of rack deadlifts, bent rows, high pulls and hang cleans. Will be doing some pushups tonight then hitting some floor presses in the garage along with sandbag presses.

Diet took a hit this weekend with the BBQ roundup in town. I went with good intentions but as soon as I smelled those slabs cooking it was all over.

Shortstack was nice enough to hook me up with a couple of guys who are doing to help me with my eating plan which will be good. I need to start walking in the morning to ensure I am getting some cardio. I have a couple of 5k's ( one in the end of July and one in September ) that I want to use as a gauge to see how I am doing.

shortstack
07-15-08, 11:42 am
What's up Bro. Nice to see that you got a hold of the guys to help with the diet. Nice to see also that you hitting the weights and have some good goals set. Let me know what happens with that MAC membership and you can come over to the SW side and work out with me some time.

Let me know if you need anything at all Brother.

Jeremy

Pizzalamp
07-16-08, 9:06 pm
keep it strong bro

fatbackgoal
12-27-08, 5:22 pm
I finally got back under the weight today and it felt good. I will be doing a 5x5 routine over the next 12 weeks to give me a solid base to work on some powerlifting going into summer. The goal is to drop weight which shouldn't be to hard with just some slight adjustments to my eating habits. At the end of the 12 weeks I hope to represent the Iowa ABC at the Arnold properly. With my big frame I should be carrying some serious mass and it is never to late to start. Will keep everyone updated and make sure I update the journal more to keep me on track.

fatbackgoal
12-28-08, 10:14 pm
I had a good day today. Legs were that good sore after you have worked them. I made sure I had a good stretch then tonight I had a hockey game and felt strong thru the whole game. The big area I will have to work on is diet. I know I just need to get 2 solid weeks under my belt and it will be second nature. I don't have to count calories at this point it is just making sure I get the right food and right portions to get me started. Tomorrow will be an off day with just cardio in the morning and start Jiu Jitsu class in the evening.

fatbackgoal
01-03-09, 4:59 pm
Had a good week with a couple of good workouts with Shortstack. I think having a workout partner may be good as it will allow me to lift heavy. I will be going with basic compound movements with a rep range of 5 for 4-5 sets. The next twelve weeks will be spent forming a foundation for a powerlifting program over the summer.

Pizzalamp
01-04-09, 2:17 pm
Had a good week with a couple of good workouts with Shortstack. I think having a workout partner may be good as it will allow me to lift heavy. I will be going with basic compound movements with a rep range of 5 for 4-5 sets. The next twelve weeks will be spent forming a foundation for a powerlifting program over the summer.

i love having a workout partner...hope the next 12 weeks go well

fatbackgoal
01-11-09, 11:56 pm
I was in the local sporting goods store with the family and ran into Shortstack. Introduced the family to him and later told the wife how there was a natural show in September. Much to my surprise she said "I think you should try it". Now you have to understand she has always thought that doing something like this is taking it to the extreme but it was nice to have her support so September 2010 watch out here i come!

fatbackgoal
01-17-09, 2:19 pm
Good ABC meet today. We worked back and as soon as I walked in saw some heavy deadlifts were in order was able to work in and get 365 which is the most I have moved in a long time. I went for 400 and didn't get it but know it is in me. Will push the weight in my 5x5 program and see what happens.

fatbackgoal
01-21-09, 6:54 am
The journey sometimes is not about the final destination but the process in getting there. I found out yesterday that I have a patella tendon tear, torn cartilage and lost cartilage in my right knee. I will not allow this to set me back it will only push me more. It may actually be a good thing as it will allow me to focus on my upper body to get it on par with my legs. And this will not keep me from the Arnold and the Cage. If I have to hobble to Columbus I will.

fatbackgoal
01-24-09, 6:51 pm
I had a good session in the gym today. The goal right now is all about getting a good solid base of consistent workouts. I am following a 5X5 program and this is what I hit today:

Squats:
135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
245x5

Incline bench:
135x5
145x5
165x5
185x5
205x5

Deadlifts:
225x5
255x5
305x5
335x5

I just need to make sure I keep the workouts consistent, dial the diet in and have the cardio. I am researching now which supplements I will be adding.

toobigfred
01-24-09, 8:39 pm
I had a good session in the gym today. The goal right now is all about getting a good solid base of consistent workouts. I am following a 5X5 program and this is what I hit today:

Squats:
135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
245x5

Incline bench:
135x5
145x5
165x5
185x5
205x5

Deadlifts:
225x5
255x5
305x5
335x5

I just need to make sure I keep the workouts consistent, dial the diet in and have the cardio. I am researching now which supplements I will be adding.

Nice workout brother. You keeping your strength up while cutting fat? I am doing okay so far. I am making less and less in the gains department, but still making gains. I will be followingthis journey. Us big guys gotta stick togethor!!

fatbackgoal
01-31-09, 8:07 am
I found out yesterday I will not have surgery on my knee. A good decision which will allow me to continue working hard. I sat down and planned out a pre-contest plan for a show that is going on this year that I have set for my goal next year.

Again the big issue is being consistent with the diet. I have a good couple of days and then bam I am off the wagon. Until I am more diligent with the diet I can't expect the true progress I need to have.

The MoFo
02-01-09, 6:15 am
Hey dude, nice too hear its all goin well and you ain't needin' surgury. I havn't posted on your journey before but i had to lose weight before and it's like you say, the will power is really hard to get. Just thought i'd say though somthing that always helps me avoid food i shouln't eat is to simply think this,
why do i want it so much? normally coz it tastes better than rice or tuna.
my down fall is cheesecake, so whenever i want it that bad i eat it and it tastes real good, but after eatin' the fuckin' thing i'm thirsty as hell, so i have a drink, then try and taste what i just ate and i can't anymore so what was the point? it's the same with any food, chocolate, crisps, burger and chips, you eat it, have a drink and can't taste it anymore,so what was the point, why not of ate tuna and rice instead? all you've done is added on fat you don't want, let yourself down and all that hard work in the gym was for nothin'. i dunno if that would even help coz it's still hard to say no to food but everytime i find myself nearly slipping i just think that to myself and reach for the tin opener lol!

Hope this helps anyway, foods just another bit of trainin' that must be overcome, good luck man!

fatbackgoal
02-01-09, 8:12 pm
First I want to say thanks for the support in my journey. Is does make it easier to make it when I know there are others out there fighting the good fight. Had a real good workout on Saturday and now must continue to keep it rolling. Here was the damage from Saturdays workout:

Squats:
Warm Up 135x5
165x5
195x5
235x5
275x5
295x3
155x8

Bench:
Warm Up 135x10
155x5
185x5
215x5
235x3
155x8

BB Row
Warm Up 135x10
185x5
205x5
225x5
135x8

Did nothing today but relax with the family. I will have a morning cardio session on Monday then back to the weights on Tuesday. Right now the first mini goal is being ready for the call to workout with BigAl at the Cage in Columbus. I figure I will have 4 good weeks to work hard, continue lifting heavy and be consistent with the diet.

I am planning on doing a show next year in September but looking at the calendar this year I could get in 16 weeks of heavy training and still do a 20 week cut just to see where I could get. If it all works out I will enter, if not then I have at least learned a lot. I have not really figured out what I could step on stage but going from current stats with my height I should be able to carry some size.

Pizzalamp
02-01-09, 10:24 pm
I found out yesterday I will not have surgery on my knee. A good decision which will allow me to continue working hard. I sat down and planned out a pre-contest plan for a show that is going on this year that I have set for my goal next year.

Again the big issue is being consistent with the diet. I have a good couple of days and then bam I am off the wagon. Until I am more diligent with the diet I can't expect the true progress I need to have.

thats great about the surgery
good luck w/ the diet-if u need any help let me know

fatbackgoal
02-03-09, 10:29 pm
Started the day with a good workout. I stayed away from squats and deadlifts due to my knee. I will be going to my first physical therapy session on Wednesday.

Leg press:
360x5
540x5
720x5

Bench:
185x5
205x5
225x5
235x5(3 solid, 1 slight assistance,1 full assist)

Rack Pulls:
225x5
305x5
305x5

Finished with 3 sets, 8 reps of BW dips, tri pushdowns and curls

Feeling good and just need to add in the cardio and diet.

fatbackgoal
02-05-09, 11:19 pm
Switched things up and hit the gym in the evening. Not sure I like it so will go back to the morning. Just a different vibe in the place between the two. Focus of the day was to not push the knee to much as I have not made it the physical therapy yet.

Smith Machine Incline
Warm up 135x10 155x5 185x5, 205x5, 225x5, 245x5, 155x8

Leg Press
Warm up 270x10 450x5, 630x5, 720x5

Lat pulldown
warm up 70x10 120x8, 170x8, 220x6, 190x8

I was watching some youtube videos of masters competitions and was really getting fired up. I realized after watching this and reading some of the articles on here that the battle is not on stage but rather the journey getting to that point. Once you have put all your efforts into it and reached that point of satisfaction you can then relax and enjoy the moment. I will get there and now I feel it will be sooner rather than later.

NJC_Manhattan
02-05-09, 11:21 pm
Switched things up and hit the gym in the evening. Not sure I like it so will go back to the morning. Just a different vibe in the place between the two. Focus of the day was to not push the knee to much as I have not made it the physical therapy yet.

Smith Machine Incline
Warm up 135x10 155x5 185x5, 205x5, 225x5, 245x5, 155x8

Leg Press
Warm up 270x10 450x5, 630x5, 720x5

Lat pulldown
warm up 70x10 120x8, 170x8, 220x6, 190x8

I was watching some youtube videos of masters competitions and was really getting fired up. I realized after watching this and reading some of the articles on here that the battle is not on stage but rather the journey getting to that point. Once you have put all your efforts into it and reached that point of satisfaction you can then relax and enjoy the moment. I will get there and now I feel it will be sooner rather than later.

hope the therapy goes well bro. Still a rather solid day. Yea, ive lost hours watching youtube vids of the pros.

fatbackgoal
02-08-09, 11:38 am
Another good day in the gym yesterday. I had planned out what weights I was going to use then left my workout book at home. Got a piece of scratch paper from the front desk and decided I would do it off the cuff using the top weight I wanted to hit. I am sticking with the 5x5 as it seems to work well for me. While I am trying to lose a ton of fat I think this is best at this time. Here was the workout:

Smith Machine Box Squats:
warm up 135x10
225x5, 265x5,285x5,305x5,325x5

Incline Bench
Warm up 135x5
155x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5

Barbell Row
Warm up 135x5
185x5, 205x5, 225x5, 245x5

Finished with 2 sets of shrugs on Nautilus machine(not the old school kind, new and improved). Workouts are feeling well and will be glad when the Universal supps come in. I took 1 serving each of creatine and glutamine mixed in water before my workout. This week I will get good deadlift session in but don't want to risk to much with my knee. I will also start more cardio making sure I get at least 5 sessions in a week at 30 minutes each to start. Any thoughts anyone has on how I should attack cardio would be appreciated. Thanks again to everyone for the support!!

toobigfred
02-08-09, 2:51 pm
I think in my humble opinion, us bigger guys, low intensity cardio ie: walking about 2.5-3mph for 30-45 minutes is easier on the joints, and if coupled with an intense lifting session, is more than enough, and looking at those rows you are doing, you got the intense part down right now.

fatbackgoal
02-10-09, 12:13 am
I went to my first physical therapy session and was told I should lay off any leg work for the next two weeks. I can do cardio which is good but not lifting will be difficult as I was making good progress. I don't know how I will adjust workouts as it seems like it will be a quick workout just doing the bench and back work from my 5x5.

My chest workouts are going ok as I am lifing good weight but just don't seem to feel it the day after like I do with my other bodyparts. I may need to make some slight adjustments.

fatbackgoal
02-13-09, 6:47 pm
I decided since I have to lay off leg work for the next few weeks I would go away from the 5x5 slightly and add extra work focusing on chest and back. Here is the damage:

Flat bench DB press
50x10, 70x10, 80x8, 100x5

Smith Incline
135x10, 185x5, 205x5,225x4

Vgrip pulldown
150x10, 180x10, 200x8, 210x6

BB rows(towel around bar0
135x10,185x8,185x6,135x8 (these really had the forearms burning)

Will continue to work like this and may switch it up to a more traditional schedule while not doing legs. Was thinking I could do
Day 1- Chest,tri
Day2- Back, bi
Day 3 Cardio
Day 4- Shoulders
Day 5-Chest/Back
Day 6/7- Cardio

I would really appreciate some feedback on this plan. Right now my main goal is burning the fat then putting on mass since I have a large frame. 1 week till the next IAnimals meet and can't wait!!

toobigfred
02-13-09, 7:39 pm
Your workouts look strong, and if you stick with the heavy compund lifts, I think you might keep or add muscle while dropping fat that way. It looks good.

fatbackgoal
02-14-09, 3:44 pm
I decided to shoulders today as I have not hit them specifically in a long time. I also received my shipment from DPS so I was able to start on my supps plan. They did make the mistake of sending creatine chewables instead of the EAA stack so hopefully that should be coming next week. Here was today's workout:

Started with 5 minutes in the steam room just to get warm and a good sweat.

BB Military press
Warm up 95x10
115x10, 135x5,125x5,115x6,115x5

Seated DB side Lateral
Warm up 10x10
25x10, 35x8, 35x6,35x6-30x6-25x8 (drop set)

Stand Rear Lateral
Warm up 10x10
30x10, 45x8, 50x6, 50x6-45x6-30x7-20x7 (drop set)

Universal Mach Press
Warm up 80x10
120x8, 100x8,80x8, 50x8

Universal shrug
180x10, 270x6, 270x6, 270x6-180x5-90x10 (drop set)
Finished off with another 5 minutes in the steam room then straight to cold shower.

When I woke up I had an Ultra Pro shake with 2 scoops. Before training had a serving of Shock Therapy (will add EAA stack when it arrives). During the workout had Big Ant's drink, then right after a serving of Torrent with another Ultra Pro shake with Waxy Maize and hour later. Feel real good shoulders are a little sore. I will do cardio on Sunday then hit chest/tri on Monday.

fatbackgoal
02-20-09, 6:52 am
With the sickness that is going around the house I have not been able to post but luckily I have not caught anything and able to get to the gym. On Tuesday I hit back/bi's:

Chin Machine (I can't do chins, goal is to do bwx5 by end of summer)
130x8,130x6,130x6
BB Rows
135x12,185x8,225x6,225x6drop135x8
Tbar row
115x12,160x8,205x6
Underhand grip pulldown
180x10,210x6,225x5
BB Curl
70x10,80x10,90x8,100x6
Rope Hammer Curls
70x12,100x12,130x7
Machine preacher
80x8,80x6,60x8,60x7

I started the new supp plan for workout days of Ultra pro shake when I wake up, shock therapy/ECA stack before workout, BigAnt drink during, Torrent right after then ultra pro/waxy maize shake after that. I have been feeling good and getting good pump in gym. I will now work on the diet/cardio portion as we have a weight challenge at work which will run for 12 weeks from March to May. The last one they did the winner took home $600. I am thinking of trying a keto diet during this time.

fatbackgoal
02-20-09, 6:58 am
Yesterday was shoulders:

Smith Military press
50x10,70x10,90x10,110x8,140x6
Reverse Pec Deck Flyes
70x10,120x8,120x8,120x8
Nautilus Overhead press
110x10,140x10,170x8,200x6
Cable rear lateral
40x8,30x10,30x10
BB Shrug
225x10,275x10,275x6,225x10

I am starting to see some fullness coming out of my upper body but have to get on the midsection. If I just drop weight my shoulder to waist ratio will look a lot better. Looking forward to C-bus and meeting a bunch of Animals. Hopefully I get chosen for the workout with BigAl. Tomorrow is the IAnimals meet in Jessup working chest/tri and hopefully I can hit some big weight.

fatbackgoal
02-21-09, 11:28 pm
What a crazy 24 hours it has been. Yesterday at recess my son broke his arm jumping off the jungle gym. 4 hours later he is in surgery getting 2 pins placed in his arm above the elbow. He is home and doing fine which is a relief.

Was supposed to hit it up with the IAnimals but unable to make it with my son's condition so I hit the MAC for chest and tris.

Incline bench
warm 95x10, 115x10,135x10, 185x10, 205x6, 225x4(3 solid)
Flat DB bench
70x8, 85x6, 95x6 (could have gone heavier but no spot)
Cable crossover
70x10, 70x10, Drop 70/50/40x10
Smith Incline
135x10, 155x7, 165x6
Tri Pushdown
40x10, 40x10, 80x10, 100x8
Overhead rope extensions
50x10, 50x8, 50x8
Close Grip Bench
60x10, 60x10, 95x10

Good pump going today, the Shock Therapy/Eaa is really helping. Would like to start a keto for the weight loss challenge at work but not sure if I am to overweight to start it.

fatbackgoal
02-24-09, 8:43 pm
This morning I just wasn't feeling it in the gym so I backed off and went for strict form over heavy weight.

DB Row
Warm up 50x10
80x19, 90x10, 100x8, 110x6

Vgrip pulldown
warm up 105x10
150x10, 195x6, 210x6

BBRow(underhand grip)
135x10, 155x10, 185x8

Universal Seated Machine Row
90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 360x8

DB Curls (Giant Set)
55x6-40x6-30x6
55x5-40x5-30x6

I will be ordering Animal Cuts this week and starting a 12 week weight loss program at work. I am looking to drop 40 pounds in that time which will jump start me to maybe getting onstage late this year but definitely next year.

NJC_Manhattan
02-24-09, 8:44 pm
This morning I just wasn't feeling it in the gym so I backed off and went for strict form over heavy weight.

DB Row
Warm up 50x10
80x19, 90x10, 100x8, 110x6

Vgrip pulldown
warm up 105x10
150x10, 195x6, 210x6

BBRow(underhand grip)
135x10, 155x10, 185x8

Universal Seated Machine Row
90x10, 180x10, 270x10, 360x8

DB Curls (Giant Set)
55x6-40x6-30x6
55x5-40x5-30x6

I will be ordering Animal Cuts this week and starting a 12 week weight loss program at work. I am looking to drop 40 pounds in that time which will jump start me to maybe getting onstage late this year but definitely next year.

Lookin good man. Best of luck with the cut. I'm on one as well.

fatbackgoal
02-26-09, 9:34 pm
I played an indoor soccer game last night so instead of hitting the gym this morning I had a evening workout. I am not a big fan of the evening workout (gym crowded, energy). I was surprised about the workout I got in. Hitting delts I just felt like doing pressing movements:

Standing BB presses
Warm barx10
95x8,115x8,125x8,145x6

Seated DB press
40x8,40x8,50x8,60x8 (wanted to go up but nobody to really spot)

Nautilus overhead press
125x8 (4 sets)

DB bent laterals
30x8,50x8,70x6,70x6

DB shrug
110x8,125x6,1110x6,80x10 (second and third sets were stopped because I was losing grip. I want to work on forearms and grip so I dont use straps but may change that)

Well the Arnold is one week away and I am looking forward to it. Can't wait to put faces to name and feel the energy in the room and around the Cage. It has been 15 years since I went to the Arnold so it should be fun. I will do cardio in the morning then chest/tri on Saturday.

Pizzalamp
02-28-09, 9:11 pm
great workouts man!

fatbackgoal
03-01-09, 4:43 pm
I was supposed to hit chest/tri on Saturday but was not feeling it so I went in today and glad it did. Started out with 5 minutes on the stationary bike then got into it.

DB Flat bench
warm up 50x10 2 sets
70x10,80x10,90x6,100x5

Smith Incline
warm up 95x10
135x10,205x6,225x6,245x4

Nautilus Pec Fly
125x10,155x10,200x8 (first time using this machine and did not like)

Nautilus chest press
90x10, 180x6,180x6,90x6

Dips
BW(330lbs)x8, BWx6

Tri Pushdowns
75x10, 75x10, 120x8, 120x8

Close grip bench
95x10, 115x8, 115x8, 115x4

Good workout and I think you can start to see me filling out a bit more in my upperbody. Still have not worked legs in sometime as I let my tendon tear heal. Found out that the weight loss challenge at work is $800 to first place and $400 to second. I am coming away with that first prize. Will hit back/bis on Tuesday then hopefully meet up with someone in Columbus to hit shoulders, chest and tri.

toobigfred
03-02-09, 12:03 am
Bodyweight dips!? That is amazing strength bro. I might try them..lol I might get one or two.

McFly
03-02-09, 8:39 am
doing some serious work in here bro!!!

are you going to be training with Big Al at the ABC??

fatbackgoal
03-02-09, 3:34 pm
doing some serious work in here bro!!!

are you going to be training with Big Al at the ABC??

Thanks for the support. I have not heard anything yet so don't know if I will be training with BigAl. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

Beast Genetics
03-02-09, 3:51 pm
Looking good man, best of luck on your goals. It's never too late! Truly inspirational.

McFly
03-04-09, 1:41 pm
looks like you are banging chest with Big AL!!! have fun!!!

fatbackgoal
03-08-09, 9:28 am
Well what can I say about the last 48 hours? I got to see in living color what the Animal movement was all about. Working out with Big Al, meeting new people and the best part of it all was having my wife join me on Saturday at the Arnold (although I think she was hugging Mike O'hearn a little to tight:)). A great weekend and one I am sure we will do again!!

McFly
03-09-09, 12:52 pm
hope you had a good time this weekend....banging shoudlers with Big AL, G and bobby was no joke.....stay strong brother! it was good meeting you!

fatbackgoal
03-11-09, 2:03 pm
Well coming back down to earth after a great weekend. Have to thank BigAl for the experience of lifting with him on Saturday. I worked out in the evening as I stayed up to late the night before getting caught up on rugby from the weekend. I will not workout at night anymore. Hit back but did not have enough time to do bi's as well due to folks just standing around.

5 minutes on bike
BB row
135x10,135x10,185x8,225x6,245x6,155x12
Wide grip pulldown
70x10,150x10,200x8,220x7,120x12
Vgrip pulldown
90x10,135x8,180x8
Rackpulls (still not cleared on my patella tear so cant do full deads)
135x10,225x8,315x6,365x5

I have not gone over my workout schedule and would really like some feedback on where folks think I should concentrate my attack over the next few months. I know I need to reduce the bf but don't want to do a pure cut. Any feedback from the crew would be greatly appreciated. Long term goal is a bb competition in late October. Currently I am on the following (please remember that I am not doing legs as the patella tendon tear I have heals)

Monday-Cardio
Tuesday-Back/BI
Wed-Cardio
Thursday-Chest/Tri
Friday-Cardio
Saturday-Shoulders
Sunday-Rest

firsthorseman97
03-11-09, 2:08 pm
It was nice training with you and the Big 3 saturday. Consider me subbed!

fatbackgoal
03-12-09, 1:02 pm
Back in to my regular morning workout and felt much better. I think I may finally getting my diet dialed in which is making a big difference. This morning was chest/tri:

5 minutes stationary bike
BB Incline
90x10,90x10,135x8,185x8,205x6,225x4,155x10
Smith flat bench
135x10,185x8,225x10,275x3,185x12
Stand cable fly superset pushups
40x12-bwx6,60x12-bwx5,80x8-bwx3+2 neg
Nautilus Incline
95x8,95x10,95x8
Tri pushdowns
50x12,50x12,90x12,120x8,120x8
Overhead rope extensions
60x12,80x12,100x8,100x8-70x7-40x12(dropset)

Good workout with lots of energy. I think getting a good meal in the night before and good amount of rest was the difference. I have not mentioned what supplements I am taking so I will do that now and if anyone has suggestions please feel free to comment. Currently I am taking:

Animal Cuts
Animal Flex
Ultra Pro
Shock Therapy
Torrent
EAA stack
Creatine
Glutamine

I have a plan for days I workout but not quite sure what I should be using on non-workout days. Currently I am only taking Cuts, Ultra Pro on these days. Should I use the Shock Therapy/EAA Stack before cardio sessions?

firsthorseman97
03-12-09, 1:10 pm
Glad to hear your diet is getting dialed in, it sure makes a big difference. WO looks strong. You moved some nice weight. IMO, I would just use the cuts before on your cardio days and save the ST and EAA Stack.

fatbackgoal
03-14-09, 9:50 am
Yesterday I tried doing double cardio sessions for the first time. I have to say I was suprised how drained I was for my second 45 minute session in the evening. I don't know how often I will be able to do it with soccer season starting so I was thinking of buying a used exercise bike off craigslist since it will be hard to get to the gym in the evening.

toobigfred
03-14-09, 11:14 pm
Double cardio, buh, I will start that in April, buh............Good luck, I would def get an exercise bike.

fatbackgoal
03-15-09, 11:39 am
Ok it was time to hit shoulders so I decided to follow the workout from last week in Columbus with a little change.

Smith Military press
90x10,90x10,135x10,155x8,185x6,205x4,225x3,145x8
DB side lateral(from the hips no swinging)
15x10,20x10,25x8,30x6,15x12(not heavy but when you do them strict it burns)
Machine side lateral
145x8,95x7,50x12(dropset)
seated db rear lateral
20x10,20x10,25x10
BB Shrug
225x6,315x6,315x4,315x10

Felt really dumb on shrugs. I was losing my grip using an overhand (need to work on forearm strength). Then right before the last set I remember BigAl saying he uses a over/under deadlift grip doing shrugs. Lo and behold I bang out 10 reps. I am feeling good right now but have become preoccupied with the weight I am losing since I have dropped 12 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I really don't care about scale weight, I just really want to work on bf. Soccer practice starts this week so all workouts will have to be in the morning. It would be nice to have a cheap stationary bike to put in the garage.

fatbackgoal
03-16-09, 5:24 pm
Took a day off from the gym yesterday and it felt good. I did cardio this morning and coach soccer tonight so I will try to get something in while training. I have our weekly weigh in for our work transformation contest tomorrow morning and will be interesting to see what the new eating style has produced. Started at 331 on March 3 and was 328 last week. I think I have been on the Cuts for a whole week and think it is helping but hopefully will kick in. Thanks to Pizzalamp for coming up with the eating plan which is:

1)2 yolks, 5-8 egg whites,small chicken breast(like 5oz) 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 grapefruit

2)45g whey protein shake(low in carbs, whey isolate is good) and a small handful of raw nuts or like a tablespoon and half of natural peanut butter

3)7oz(raw weight) chicken or turkey or tuna, 3/4 cup brown rice or sweet potatoe, serving of green veggies

4)pre training:45g whey protein shake, small handful raw nuts or tablespoon and half of natural peanut butter

5)post training:45g whey protein shake w/ 40g carbs,( like a scoop of waxy maize or a small sweet potatoe or baked potatoe)

6)7 oz (raw weight) salmon, chicken, turkey, tuna, or lean steak(steak like 2-4 times a week), green veggies...if u dont have steak or salmon, then u could put a tablespoon of xtra virgin olive oil on your veggies

It is very weird to go from not usually eating breakfast to putting down this much. BF will be tested later this week to see if any improvement has been made in that area.

fatbackgoal
03-17-09, 1:25 pm
Here is the Fitday breakdown of what I ate yesterday. I am just curious if this is enough?
Grams Calories %-Cals
Calories 1,824
Fat 47.9 430 24 %
Saturated 9.4 85 5 %
Polyunsaturated 11.6 104 6 %
Monounsaturated 14.3 128 7 %
Carbohydrate 77.5 306 17 %
Dietary Fiber 9.9
Protein 264.3 1,086 60 %
Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

firsthorseman97
03-17-09, 1:38 pm
IMO, no its not enough. Your at a huge cal deficit right now. I think you need to up the cals by almost 1000. I honestly wouldn't be afraid to up your carbs.

fatbackgoal
03-19-09, 11:13 pm
Yesterday was back and bi's and I was looking for more form over weight.

Seated cable rows(wide grip)
105x10,105x10,180x10,210x8,240x8,270x5
Assisted pullups
150x6,150x6,150x6(2 partials)
Underhand BB rows(towels wrapped around bar for thick grip)
135x10,135x10,185x8,225x4,225x4-135x12(drop set)
Vgrip pulldown
120x12,180x12,210x5,135x8
Incline db curls
30x8,30x6,30x6
rope hammer curls
50x12,80x12,120x8,160x6

I don't know why but I struggle to get a good pump doing bi's. This morning I hit 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical. Trying to get the food right is the toughest part. I never thought I would say I am finding it hard to get all the food in.

firsthorseman97
03-20-09, 8:49 am
Nice back workout Rod. I think lifting is the easiest part about what we do. Dieting is always the hardest. Remember, if this was easy, everyone would do it. Keep up the hard work.

fatbackgoal
03-22-09, 2:34 pm
I was supposed to workout yesterday but running around with the family took longer than expected, which turned out to be a good thing because I really hit chest/tri's hard. I was in about 30 minutes after the gym opened and I was the youngest person in there by a good stretch. Quite funny as I was wondering who would be available for a spot. Anyway I ventured on.

BB Incline
barx10,95x10,135x10,135x10,185x10,225x4+1,155x10(r eally making sure the shoulder is warm)
Flat db press
50x12,70x10,90x6,100x4
Nautilus incline(plate loaded)
90x10,135x8,135x8
Dips
BW(320)x6,Bwx3,BWx3+2neg
Rope pulldown
30x12,30x12,50x10,50x8,50x6-30x6(drop set)
seat ez french press
30x12,50x10,50x10
1 arm undergrip pulldown
30x10,30x12,30x12

On the tri's I was really making sure to get the full motion and good form. Will be outlining my cardio schedule a bit more for the next 10 weeks working toward double daily sessions the last 4 weeks of my work weight challenge.

fatbackgoal
03-26-09, 6:39 pm
Was time to hit back/bi's

Rack Pulls(sumo stance)
135x6,225x6,315x6,365x6
Assisted pull up
150x8,130x8,130x6,130x6
Wide grip pulldown
120x10,150x10,180x8,210x6
DB rows
60x10,80x8,90x7
bb curls
65x10,85x8,95x6
1 arm machine preacher
30x10,30x10,30x10
rope hammer curl
100x10,120x8,140x7

Felt really good today. I had a basic fitness assessment last night that showed my strength and cardiovascular are good but poor on bf, flexibility and core. I will start adding abs and flexibility to the end of my workout. I had my bf tested by the machine where they stick a probe against your arm and it showed 24%. At the Arnold the Tanita scale said I was 330 at 30%. I weighed in yesterday at 321 so making progress but still a long way from where I want to be.

fatbackgoal
03-28-09, 3:32 pm
Had to hit the gym before soccer practice so kinda short on time.

DB incline press
40x12,50x12,70x12,90x6,100x5
Smith bench press
135x10,185x8,225x6(used a wide grip)
Nautilus incline(plate loaded)
90x12,180x6,180x5
dips
bwx8,bwx5
rope pulldowns
30x12,80x12,80x12,80x12(slow pace full movement)
skullcrushers
50x12,50x12,50x8
smith close grip bench superset underhand pulldowns
95x10/40x12,145x10/40x12

With the whole workout I wanted to back down weight and really go for full movement and good form. Having some pain in my right shoulder so I may need to back it down for a few weeks and rethink my training. I am considering a keto diet for the last 8 weeks of my work biggest loser competition so I will be doing some research this weekend. I have been reading some articles by Palumbo.

toobigfred
03-28-09, 3:38 pm
I would love to do Keto, but to chickensh*t to try it, there is a mind block about eating all that fat.

fatbackgoal
03-31-09, 5:17 pm
After reading the post from Vinny I am going to take the week off from the gym. I have been going for a steady pace and a week off will feel good. I will do no lifting but may sneak in a cardio session or two.

I sent a PM to Bobby Fields about powerlifting and he responded in less than a day. I can't say enough about the guy or the community that is Animal. I am thinking I will go to a powerlifting program for the next 3-4 months to really work on the strength portion. I will post my program once it is devised.

toobigfred
04-01-09, 9:20 am
Enjoy the powerlifting, I used to do a powerlifting routine. Did it for 4 years. Have any questions just let me know.

firsthorseman97
04-01-09, 9:21 am
Enjoy your week off, Rod. You've more than earned it.

fatbackgoal
04-02-09, 1:47 pm
Ok..it is very hard to step away from the gym completely so I ended up doing 45 minutes on the treadmill last night. I think I will go back to the 5x5 program for the next 8 weeks then look at a proper powerlifting program if my leg has healed completely.

The weight is staying good and I am sitting at 315-318 which is a 16 pound drop since the Arnold. I am currently trying to decide between the Anabolic or keto diet. I have to find a local place that does good bodyfat testing to see where I am at. Pictures in the transformation thread are due next Monday so we will see what progress I have made.

toobigfred
04-02-09, 4:28 pm
If I had to choose between Keto and anabolic, I would choose anabolic. I am gonna do one or the other once I get down into the low 300's.

Enjoy the week off. I have one coming in May. Cant wait.

Beast Genetics
04-03-09, 4:59 pm
Looking good Bro, I like the numbers.

fatbackgoal
04-04-09, 8:51 pm
Went thru the living hell that is cardio this morning. 45 minutes on the stair stepper and while it sucks going thru it when it's over you feel good about it. Every little bit counts and in the end it will all be worth it.

toobigfred
04-04-09, 9:24 pm
Went thru the living hell that is cardio this morning. 45 minutes on the stair stepper and while it sucks going thru it when it's over you feel good about it. Every little bit counts and in the end it will all be worth it.

Damn right.

fatbackgoal
04-11-09, 11:47 pm
Well I have gotten back in the gym but not posted anything here in a while so I better make an update. The time off was good and now ready to make another run. On Wed I hit back and bi's with the following:

Assist pullup(140x8,140x6,140x6,140x6)
bb bent rows(135x10,135x10,225x5,225x5)
Rev grip pulldown(105x12,150x10,180x8,210x6)
db row(50x10,80x8,90x8,100x6)
BB curl(90x8,90x8,90x6)
Nautilus preacher(20x10,45x8,45x8)plate loaded weird to describe you curl above head
rope hammer(70x10,90x8,110x7)

fatbackgoal
04-12-09, 12:10 am
Today was chest/tri. Feeling good and have decided to alternate between barbell and dumbbells each session. I added in decline just to make sure I am hitting all areas. Here it is:

Smith incline(95x15,135x10,225x5,225x5,225x5,185x8)
Flat bench(135x10,185x5,185,5,185x5)
Decline bench(135x10,185x10,185x10,185x5)
Nautilus incline-plate loaded(90x8,180x5,140x6,90x5dropset)
I love this machine as it has very thick grips on it
Rope pulldown(50x12,50x12,50x12,50x10)
seated dip machine-plate loaded(90x12,180x8,180x6)
cable overhead ext-wide v grip(50x12,80x12,120x8,80x12)

Felt good and have good pump going. Not seeing the biggest jump in strength so I may get thru the weight loss challenge at work(7 more weeks) then do a nice strength based workout. So far I am down to 313 from 331 at the Arnold. I have started to move into a anabolic diet and working on fine tuning that.

fatbackgoal
04-21-09, 1:29 pm
After my week off it has been difficult to get consistent again with the workouts and diet. I feel like I am finally getting back into the groove I had going previously. I am moving forward nicely but have to be reminded that change will not occur overnight but at the end of the ride the effort will be noticed and appreciated. Got a good cardio session in this morning and I am down 23 pounds in the last 7 weeks. Will right out the weight loss challenge her at work for another 6 weeks then start working on a long term plan for October.

toobigfred
04-21-09, 2:18 pm
After my week off it has been difficult to get consistent again with the workouts and diet. I feel like I am finally getting back into the groove I had going previously. I am moving forward nicely but have to be reminded that change will not occur overnight but at the end of the ride the effort will be noticed and appreciated. Got a good cardio session in this morning and I am down 23 pounds in the last 7 weeks. Will right out the weight loss challenge her at work for another 6 weeks then start working on a long term plan for October.

THe main thing is that you are back on track, and getting back into the groove. I took a week off last week, and friday I injured my neck sleeping on a f*cked up pillow, now I am on week 2 of off time. But enough about me. it is hard to remember that getting into shape is a lifelong goal. It cant happen overnight. Keep up the good work brother.

fatbackgoal
05-03-09, 10:14 am
I have not posted in some time but have been in the gym. Right now I am sitting at 310 which is 21 pounds down from the Arnold. I sat down with my wife and figured I have not been under 300 in 7 years.

I think the biggest thing that has kept me going is the feeling when someone ask you if you have lost weight and that you look good. I have three pairs of jeans in my closet that I can now wear because of the weight loss. I am getting rid of my fat man pants with the elastic waistband because they are now to big. I still have my off days with the diet but I am making more good choices than bad ones.

When I first started this I said my goal was to get on stage and compete at a masters event. In the back of my mind I felt it was an unrealistic goal and thought I might be setting myself up for failure. Now I feel like it could really be attained. Again I have to thank all of you for the support and more importantly my wife who never laughed when I said what I wanted to achieve and has helped me every step of the way. It is a long journey but this time I can see the promised land.

toobigfred
05-03-09, 10:17 am
I have not posted in some time but have been in the gym. Right now I am sitting at 310 which is 21 pounds down from the Arnold. I sat down with my wife and figured I have not been under 300 in 7 years.

I think the biggest thing that has kept me going is the feeling when someone ask you if you have lost weight and that you look good. I have three pairs of jeans in my closet that I can now wear because of the weight loss. I am getting rid of my fat man pants with the elastic waistband because they are now to big. I still have my off days with the diet but I am making more good choices than bad ones.

When I first started this I said my goal was to get on stage and compete at a masters event. In the back of my mind I felt it was an unrealistic goal and thought I might be setting myself up for failure. Now I feel like it could really be attained. Again I have to thank all of you for the support and more importantly my wife who never laughed when I said what I wanted to achieve and has helped me every step of the way. It is a long journey but this time I can see the promised land.

YOu are a lucky guy to have such good support. I wish I did.

fatbackgoal
05-07-09, 7:59 am
I have reached the next level of Hell known as double cardio sessions. For this week I will be doing 30 minutes each session and adding 5 minutes for the next 3 weeks until my final weigh in on June 2. Currently I am doing 3 workouts a week but I think I will switch to higher reps with a 3 on 1 off rotation. I am trying to find a good eating plan for the next 4 weeks that would mimic a pre-competition diet to get some practice and see how it goes. From what I have read I will slowly cut out carbs. Ran out of Ultra Pro but the new tub should be here in a couple of days.

fatbackgoal
05-10-09, 7:00 am
Good day in the gym yesterday. I got in early and busted out chest/tri. I've been having a little trouble with my right delt so I tried something different and did 3 sets of machine flyes to warm up and that really helped.

DB Incline 50x12,60x12,70x10,80x6
Incline BB bench 135x10,155x6,155x6,155x6
Flat Smith press 135x12,185x12,225x7
Tri pressdown 50x12,50x12,50x12
BB skull 45x10,65x6 (stopped due to pain in right elbow(
Dips BWx10,BWx7,BWx5
Single arm undergrip 40x12,40x12,40x12,50x10

My chest is sore today and will be hitting legs and delts this morning. After that it is breakfast in bed for the wife on her special day.

Steve101
05-10-09, 8:59 am
Great Workout - Trying to Lose Weight when you are in your 40's SUCKS.........
Stay Focused and you will get to that Masters Event!

fatbackgoal
05-14-09, 11:30 pm
I have had a couple of workouts so I thought I would at least write them down. Heading into the final two weeks of the weight loss challenge at work so here it goes:

Yesterday Back/Bis
Deadlifts 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5
BB Row 135x8, 135x8, 225x5, 225x5
Chins(assisted) 120x6, 120x6, 140x8
Front pulldown med overhand grip 105x12, 150x7, 150x7
Nautilus Shrug 2 plates each sidex20, 2Px20
Abs

This was a workout I found on the site from Sgt Rock and I think I will stickwith it. First time I have done deads in over 2 months and if felt good. I will really need to work on the bottom portion of the lift. Abs were new and will start adding them in at the end of the workout.

fatbackgoal
05-14-09, 11:37 pm
Tonight was Chest/Tri and I feel like I am finally making some strength gains along with some size. Still you can't see anything under layers of fat so that still is the ultimate end.

Flyes (I have started to use these as a warmup to help with my right shoulder)
Smith incline press 135x10, 135x10, 225x5, 245x5
DB flat bench 60x12, 80x8, 100x5, 60x12
Nautilus Incline 2plates each sidex6, 2px5, 2px5
Dips bwx6, bwx6
Tri pressdown(v grip) 100x12, 120x12, 150x12, 170x12
DB overhead press 30x12, 50x12, 50x12
Rope pulldown 50x12, 70x12, 70x12

Getting back into a good groove and getting the diet down. If that UPS driver doesn't show up with my Project C tomorrow I am going postal. Will hit gym in the morning for shoulders then ABC on saturday I will try to hit some legs.

fatbackgoal
05-18-09, 8:01 am
Had a great leg day with the IAnimals in Cedar Falls on Saturday. First time I had done legs since the Arnold and I think I held up pretty good. Did Back this morning and will post workout later.

I will be glad when this weight challenge at work is over as I find myself looking at the scale way to much. I get pissed with every 1 pound fluctuation and know I am missing the progress (however little it is) that I have made over the last 10 weeks. Since the Arnold I have dropped 20 pounds but more importantly have gone down roughly 6-7 % on bf with some thickness coming in. I will hopefully start Project C today (UPS willing/fingers crossed), working with RagingMuscle on a diet plan and not worrying about the scale. A show I am thinking about doing is 21 weeks away and will work over the next 8-10 weeks to see where I am to decide if I want to compete. I have been looking at some video and photos of Natural Masters events and it looks like most guys are either light and cut or bigger with no definition. I have the size and want to see if I can add the definition.

Sorry for the long rant just stuff going thru my head. I would like to thank everyone especially my wife for their support and input.

fatbackgoal
05-22-09, 11:28 pm
Hard to keep two logs going but workouts going well. Cardio is being upped and diet is coming in nicely. Legs tomorrow so got to get some sleep.

fatbackgoal
05-27-09, 6:36 pm
Ok will post up what workouts I have done over the last couple of days. Really been hitting the cardio hard as my biggest loser contest at work is in the final week.

On 5/22 i hit legs

Leg press drop sets 3 sets start with 4 plates each side for 20 reps each hit all 80
Hack squat 1P each side 3x10
Walk lunge w/ 20lb db 10 steps each leg
Leg Ext 105x12,135x15,210x15

I need to work hamstrings more and stretch but other than that feel good.

fatbackgoal
05-27-09, 6:40 pm
On 5/25 i hit back

Smith mach inverted pullup bwx8,bwx10,bwx7
Nautlilus lat pulldown 2p each sidex12, 3px10, 4px6
Smith machine row 135x12, 225x8, 225x10,225x8
1 arm pulldown 125x12, 170x12, 200x12
Straight arm pulldown(FST) 80x12(3 sets, 110x12(4 sets)

I had to workout at the smaller gym as the regular one was closed for the holiday. I think I am going to be going back to deadlifts soon.

fatbackgoal
05-27-09, 6:43 pm
Yesterday I hit chest

Mach flye 155x12, 155x12,155x12
DB incline bench 50x12,50x12, 70x8, 90x7
Flat bench bb 135x12, 225x5, 185x8, 185x8
Nautilus incline 2p each sidex8, 2px5
Underhand low cable crossover fst 40x12(3 sets), 30x12(4 sets)

Had a real good pump going and will start looking to add more weight working toward a powerlifting type program.

fatbackgoal
06-01-09, 1:44 pm
I have been doing a lot of cardio over the last couple of days getting ready for my final weigh in tomorrow for our work challenge. It has been 12 weeks since the Arnold so I thought I would take a look back at what I have accomplished.

I started out at 331 at 31% bf, which would have me at 102 fat pounds and lean weight of 229. The last reading on my scale yesterday said I was 298 at 25% which would put me at 75 fat pounds and lean weight of 223. I am happy with the way it is going but still not near the finished product. Will really be working in the summer on bringing up my strength numbers so trying to decide if I should do a powerlifing type routine or 5x5.

fatbackgoal
06-02-09, 4:56 pm
I had the final weigh in for our biggest loser challenge at work today. I started on March 3rd weighing 331.6 and this morning I weighed in at 291.2. It was tough but once I got into a groove it was nice. I learned this whole time it is all about planning and preparing. Also want to thank everyone for their support and help. Now we continue on to the next goal...getting onstage!!!

shortstack
06-04-09, 9:46 am
Nice job Rod. You've really come a long way with your strength and conditioning since we first meet.

I think I'll kick in a hybrid of power and bodybuilding, G-Diesel style, between now and next year when I decide to follow your lead and get on stage. We'll have to both hit it together and see what we can accomplish.

Congrats on the weight loss and setting those goals high.

I'll see ya soon Rod,

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
06-06-09, 9:29 am
Nice job Rod. You've really come a long way with your strength and conditioning since we first meet.

Congrats on the weight loss and setting those goals high.

I'll see ya soon Rod,

Jeremy

Thanks for the support Jeremy.

Well yesterday was chest and back with Jeremy. You would think that by now I would learn that when I work out with Jeremy I end up in bad shape the next day and today is no exception.

Flat bench: 135x15, 225x6, 225x6, 245x3, 275x1
Sumo deadlift: 135x10, 225x6, 275x6, 315x4, 365 missed, 315x2 (first time doing sumo)
Incline DB: 80x8,90x8,100x4,80x10
Close grip Neutral pulldown: 130x12, 160x12, 200x8, 230x6
Hammer bench press: 90x12, 230x10, 270x6
BW neutral grip pullups: BWx3, BWx3 +3assist

Great workout and I would like to plan on working with Jeremy every Friday as it will allow me to go heavy on bench work where I need the most work. Will add additional days where I do legs, shoulders and arms.

Beast Genetics
06-10-09, 8:43 pm
Thanks for the support Jeremy.

Well yesterday was chest and back with Jeremy. You would think that by now I would learn that when I work out with Jeremy I end up in bad shape the next day and today is no exception.

Flat bench: 135x15, 225x6, 225x6, 245x3, 275x1
Sumo deadlift: 135x10, 225x6, 275x6, 315x4, 365 missed, 315x2 (first time doing sumo)
Incline DB: 80x8,90x8,100x4,80x10
Close grip Neutral pulldown: 130x12, 160x12, 200x8, 230x6
Hammer bench press: 90x12, 230x10, 270x6
BW neutral grip pullups: BWx3, BWx3 +3assist

Great workout and I would like to plan on working with Jeremy every Friday as it will allow me to go heavy on bench work where I need the most work. Will add additional days where I do legs, shoulders and arms. Haven't forgot about you brother, Very nice Flat Bench number progress and the incline DB is looking good as well. Keep it up!!

fatbackgoal
06-12-09, 8:35 pm
Again made the trip crosstown (all 10 minutes) to hit chest and back with Jeremy/Shortstack. Good workout as follows:

Incline BB- 135x12,135x12,185x8, 225x4,245x1,135x12
BB Row- 135x12,225x8,225x8,275x5
DB flat bench- 90x8,110x4,100x7
Reverse grip pulldown- 130x12,150x12,150x12
Hammer bench- 2P each sidex12,3Px8,3Px6
BW chins/neutral grip(assisted)- BWx4,BWx4,BWx4

Will hit legs on Sunday, Delts Tuesday and arms Wednesday. Got a good pump this morning and have finished Project C. I will be going back to the shock therapy pre and big ant drink during. Diet will be focused toward a Palumbo style to see what I can do on that. Cardio will be 30 minutes on off days.

fatbackgoal
06-20-09, 11:08 am
Another good workout with Jeremy(shortstack) on chest and back. Being able to go heavy knowing you have a spot has been helpful.

Incline bench 135x10,135x10,225x5,225x4
Sumo Deads 135x6,225x6,315x4,315x6
DB Incline 70x10,90x8,100x5
DB Row 55x12,120x8,125x6
Smith flat bench 225x8,275x4,275x5 (assist on last two sets last 2 reps)
Neutral wide grip pulldown 150x10,200x8,200x8

For my size I know the numbers aren't great but I am getting there. It was only my second workout with sumo deadlifts so I am still trying to get a feel for correct foot placement and form. Legs will be hit on Sunday, Delts Tuesday and Arms Wednesday. Diet has been loose but I am hanging around 300. Another weight challenge weigh in will be in 10 weeks so I am going to start cleaning it up to hit it at the 8 week mark. I have added fish oil caps and will be going with Storm, Shock Therapy, Ultra Whey until it runs out.

fatbackgoal
06-20-09, 10:03 pm
Today was no weights but felt bad about hitting the treats at the farmer's market. I decided to do some cardio but wanted to do something different so I decided on hitting the pool.

100 meters freestyle
100 meters breaststroke
100 meters freestyle with float in legs
100 meters fins and paddle
50 meters hard swim

I think I will add swimming for a few weeks just as something different to do.

fatbackgoal
06-21-09, 7:27 pm
Today was legs and working on good form when squatting. I got video so hopefully can get some critique to take my leg development to the next level. Was watching a video with Ed Nunn who said he as a tall bodybuilder realizes it is tougher to do ATG squats and tries to fatigue the muscle then go to parallel so it decided to do that.

Started with bike for 10 minutes then adductor/abductor machine, 3 sets of 15 for each with 80 pounds on nautilus machine followed by leg extensions 2 sets of 10 with 100 pounds.

Squats 135x5, 185x3, 205x3,225x3
Hack squat 90x12, 90x12, 90x12
Stiff Leg DL 135x12,135x12,135x12

Finished off with Adductor/Abductor machine for two sets of 15 reps then stretching. I know it is not a lot of weight but really working on form. The goal is to work up to powerlift over the winter getting ready for a show in spring 2010.

firsthorseman97
06-22-09, 9:05 am
You've been putting in some work! Swimming, now that's a workout. Keep up the hard work!

shortstack
06-22-09, 4:48 pm
Nice work on the swimming Rod. We'll keep tackling chest and back on Fridays and I guarantee the # will go up. I plan on going a bit heavier this week than last to see how it feels.

See ya Friday Rod,

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
06-26-09, 10:02 am
Worked delts and tris:

smith military press 95x10,135x10,155x8,185x6,135x10
db side lateral 20x12,20x12,20x12
seated rear 30x8,30x8,30x8
Nautilus press(fst7) 90x12,90x12,90x12,90x12,70x12,50x12,50x12
Vtri pushdown 90x10,90x10,90x10
smith close grip 135x12,185x12,225x6
cable 1 arm overhead ext 50x6,50x6,50x6

During the seated real laterals felt a little twinge in my left delt and pec. Still sore today so not sure what happened. Feeling good as I have stayed around 299 consistently.

I spoke with Rage and he has been nice enough to help me get ready for a show Oct. 24. I know it is a short deadline but I think I can give it a good go. A natural show so hoping I can come in with some size. At the very least I will be in better shape and maybe can set up a proper winter offseason growing period for early spring shows.

McFly
06-26-09, 10:29 am
I spoke with Rage and he has been nice enough to help me get ready for a show Oct. 24. I know it is a short deadline but I think I can give it a good go. A natural show so hoping I can come in with some size. At the very least I will be in better shape and maybe can set up a proper winter offseason growing period for early spring shows.

GOOD LUCK!!! stay focused!!!! I'll be checking in....

fatbackgoal
06-28-09, 8:39 pm
Just busting out cardio. Will be doing 2 45 minute sessions each day. I think one of the sessions will be in the gym and the other walking around my neighborhood. We have some good sized hills so should make for a good walk. I have a Garmin forerunner which tracks time distance and pace. I then download to my computer which tracks elevation and calories burned.

fatbackgoal
07-02-09, 7:22 pm
I am hitting Rage's precontest plan in prep for making a run at a show in October. Here was chest/bi day:

bb neck press 215x8,225x5,225x5
Incline db 80x8,80x8
Flat db flye 20x12,20x12
Seat alt curl 30x15,30x15x30x15
Standing hammer curl 20x20,20x20
Mach preacher 60x12

Followed this up with 30 minutes on the treadmill

fatbackgoal
07-02-09, 7:25 pm
On to legs on Tuesday:

leg press 4 plates each sidex50, 3px50,2px50
squat 90x20,90x20
leg ext 120x20x120x20,120x20
lying leg curl 120x12,90x12,90x12

was supposed to finish with standing leg curl but we dont have that machine at the gym so I think I will add stiff legs next time. I just got the book and dvd starting strength and I can tell the squat section already made a difference.

Steve101
07-02-09, 9:24 pm
Great Job on the Legs - Looks like the Weight is starting to drop off - Congratulations!!

fatbackgoal
07-07-09, 7:27 am
On a week long business trip that is not conducive to working out or eating properly but will make the best of it. I was able to get in a walk on Sunday and worked out last night. Hit chest and bi's as best as I could;

Incline Smith Press 135x12,135x12,135x12
(this was an old school smith machine that felt a lot heavier, you could move it forward/back like a power rack)
flat db press 50x12,50x10,45x12
bw dips bwx6, bwx4
cambered bar reverse curls 30x15,40x15,50x15
double arm db curl 30x15,30x15
double arm cable curl 40x15, 60x13

Got a really good pump on the curls. Just waiting today like a lot of people to see if I made the cut for Rage's contest.

Love2lift21
07-17-09, 4:44 pm
Took a day off from the gym yesterday and it felt good. I did cardio this morning and coach soccer tonight so I will try to get something in while training. I have our weekly weigh in for our work transformation contest tomorrow morning and will be interesting to see what the new eating style has produced. Started at 331 on March 3 and was 328 last week. I think I have been on the Cuts for a whole week and think it is helping but hopefully will kick in. Thanks to Pizzalamp for coming up with the eating plan which is:

1)2 yolks, 5-8 egg whites,small chicken breast(like 5oz) 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 grapefruit

2)45g whey protein shake(low in carbs, whey isolate is good) and a small handful of raw nuts or like a tablespoon and half of natural peanut butter

3)7oz(raw weight) chicken or turkey or tuna, 3/4 cup brown rice or sweet potatoe, serving of green veggies

4)pre training:45g whey protein shake, small handful raw nuts or tablespoon and half of natural peanut butter

5)post training:45g whey protein shake w/ 40g carbs,( like a scoop of waxy maize or a small sweet potatoe or baked potatoe)

6)7 oz (raw weight) salmon, chicken, turkey, tuna, or lean steak(steak like 2-4 times a week), green veggies...if u dont have steak or salmon, then u could put a tablespoon of xtra virgin olive oil on your veggies

It is very weird to go from not usually eating breakfast to putting down this much. BF will be tested later this week to see if any improvement has been made in that area.

I just started reading your journey and so far I am inspired. I just joined the FORVM, I'm 26 years old, have a little man on the way. I have some BF to lose as well, and my biggest problem is also the nutrition. That plan looks solid, and I'm definitely subbed for the rest of your journey. It's awesome to see someone get it in around work and family, and good to know that it can be done because it will be me soon.

fatbackgoal
07-28-09, 7:41 am
I am putting all my workout stuff in the Honored section for Rage's contest. I will resume using this thread when that contest is over.

fatbackgoal
10-21-09, 7:19 am
Well the Rage contest is over and I have to say I am ok with what I was able to accomplish. I have learned alot and I am thankful for that. I will now turn my attention back to this thread and getting ready for the 2010 Arnold where it all began.

My goal for this Arnold will be coming in at my precontest ready condition. I would like to be at 10% bf and hesitate to throw a number out for my weight but am thinking 250 would be good. During this time I will be using the Wendler 5/3/1 system and continuing the diet I was on for the contest. My major focus will be bringing up my legs to match my upper body.

Let's do this and see you in C-bus!!!

fatbackgoal
10-24-09, 9:25 am
Talked things over with Rage and we have decided that a local show in October will be our goal. This will allow a slow decrease in weight and making sure my skin tightens up. I will shoot for a couple of powerlifting shows in March and July.

toobigfred
10-24-09, 12:28 pm
Talked things over with Rage and we have decided that a local show in October will be our goal. This will allow a slow decrease in weight and making sure my skin tightens up. I will shoot for a couple of powerlifting shows in March and July.

Keep me posted.

J Wong
10-26-09, 12:28 pm
Nice, if you need any help with the powerlifting part of your journey, just ask.

Beast Genetics
10-29-09, 9:26 pm

Hell yeah man, holler if you need something!!

fatbackgoal
10-31-09, 1:06 am
Today was my first leg day since my PRP treatment on my right knee two weeks ago. I went very light and really looked at getting a full motion. Since I want to do powerlifting I have decided to make sure I am lifting by the rules. The damage was:

Squats- 135x5, 155x5, 175x5
Leg Ext- 5 sets of 100x10
Leg Curl- 5 sets of 100x10
Finished with work on the foam roller

The knee felt pretty good and held up for the session. Will continue to take it easy and not force anything. Cardio starts next week so should be interesting. Tonight I hit the bodybuilding jackpot, boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.79 pound. 25 packs later my son and I were out the door. Some funny looks when your whole cart is chicken breast and McCormicks seasoning. The drive for the Arnolds start in earnest on Monday and I will be ordering MStak and maybe a lifting belt over the weekend. Think I will lay off the creatine for now.

toobigfred
10-31-09, 5:12 pm
HAHA, I hear ya on the chicken, I get to buy about 6 bags today, and some natty PB abd cottage cheese. I get some looks as well. Keep at it, never stop.

fatbackgoal
11-03-09, 8:07 am
Just a simple little workout of Military press. Elbow held up well, the EFT sleeves are magic

Standing BB Military press: warm up of 65x10 for two sets then 85x3, 95x3, 110x3
Dips BW x10 for 3 sets then BWx8 for 2 sets
Smith machine shrugs: 225x12, 315x12, 315x12, 315x12

Still not feeling 100% convinced about my elbows so pressing movements are being backed off. Since I had taken so much time off I really wanted to make sure I work my way into it. Cardio starts this week with consistency being the key. A wise man once said "Marathon not a sprint"

Mr. Dead
11-03-09, 1:09 pm
Lookin' good in here!!! Gettin' in, and gettin' it done!!!

fatbackgoal
11-04-09, 1:59 pm
Today was deadlift day. Get in do work get out. I really like this Wendler system. Will be interesting to see how much strength I can keep as I begin to diet down and add cardio.

Warm up- 5 minutes on bike
Deadlift: Warmup 2sets of 135x10 255x3, 290x3, 330x6
Good mornings(barbell): 45x12,3 sets of 65x12

This was the first workout using the APT single ply knee sleeves. Man these are sweet. Gave a nice secure feel and support. Also deadlifts were done in sumo style as that is the way I will lift in the meet in March. Don't know if I have said but will be entering a push/pull meet. Don't expect to set the world on fire, just want to go for the experience.

J Wong
11-04-09, 3:03 pm
Today was deadlift day. Get in do work get out. I really like this Wendler system. Will be interesting to see how much strength I can keep as I begin to diet down and add cardio.

Warm up- 5 minutes on bike
Deadlift: Warmup 2sets of 135x10 255x3, 290x3, 330x6
Good mornings(barbell): 45x12,3 sets of 65x12

This was the first workout using the APT single ply knee sleeves. Man these are sweet. Gave a nice secure feel and support. Also deadlifts were done in sumo style as that is the way I will lift in the meet in March. Don't know if I have said but will be entering a push/pull meet. Don't expect to set the world on fire, just want to go for the experience.

Good work man, I'm sure you will not only keep strength, but gain it with this program during the dieting and cardio.

firsthorseman97
11-04-09, 3:06 pm
Nice deadlift work, Rod. I'm going to have to follow along more closely to what's happenin' in here!

Mr. Dead
11-06-09, 12:23 pm
Great session!!! I know you'll tear it up, at your meet!!!

fatbackgoal
11-06-09, 5:24 pm
Today was chest and although there was a twinge in the elbow to start it did go away. I am going to make sure I warm up thouroughly to get the blood into the elbow.

Warm up with pressdowns not a lot of weight just working kinks out

Bench press: 2 sets 135x10 145x8-all warmup
185x3, 205x3, 225x6
DB Incline: 60x15, 60x13, 50x15, 50x15,40x15
DB Rows: 60x10, 4 sets of 80x10

Looking back I probably should have done flat db since I am going for strength. Getting a good pump in the workouts and the weight and reps don't seem like a lot but know this is just the first cycle and can adjust later. My M-Stak and Flex arrived today so very happy. Will be ordering a belt from APT most likely a 10mm 4 inch double hook belt. I will need something that is good for squats, deadlift and bench.

Mr. Dead
11-06-09, 5:27 pm
Looks good... And, at our tender young ages, warm-ups become more and more crucial... But it looks like you have everything going great!!!

weedlewott
11-06-09, 5:51 pm
Hey man. I'm in on this one. Sorry I just found it.

fatbackgoal
11-07-09, 6:01 pm
Ok today was legs and hit them in the afternoon. Nothing big but just trying to get the body back into the groove of doing squats and taking care of my knee.

Squats (warm up with bar and 135) 140x3, 170x3, 205x8
Leg ext: 5 sets of 110x10
Seated leg curl: 5 sets of 110x10

Felt pretty good as I try to get used to doing full range squats. I think I will continue to run this through the end of the year then see what you guys think I should be doing going into my meet in March.

Got a crazy idea that I am going to do some solid research on. In this area we have nothing like an warehouse or underground gym. I was thinking of running something that would cater to unconventional training for athletes then also run a "boot camp" for others who want to start a more physical lifestyle. If anyone has experience with this would really appreciate your feedback. I am in the early stages but have found a place I feel would work well for this type of thing.

fatbackgoal
11-08-09, 12:28 pm
A good 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Today is the first day of running an M-Stak cycle so interested in seeing what that can add to the mix. I have a lot riding on the Arnold weekend so the hard work starts now.

J Wong
11-08-09, 3:30 pm
Last 2 sessions look good man. Nothing wrong with DB incline on your bench day.

fatbackgoal
11-08-09, 4:08 pm
Forgot to add I also did 200 reps of various calf raises after cardio.

fatbackgoal
11-08-09, 4:12 pm
Last 2 sessions look good man. Nothing wrong with DB incline on your bench day.

Thanks for stopping by. I may have started off a little low on the 1 rep max but I want to make sure I bring my knee back slowly.

Firedrake
11-09-09, 12:11 am
Lookin' good, bro -- you're keeping it going, and that's the point. I wish I knew more about running a club, but sorry, I can't help.

fatbackgoal
11-09-09, 7:04 pm
Lookin' good, bro -- you're keeping it going, and that's the point. I wish I knew more about running a club, but sorry, I can't help.

Thanks for continuing to check in on me. How is your prep going?

fatbackgoal
11-09-09, 7:05 pm
Hitting Military press this morning and just started Universal M-Stak.

Standing Military press (warmup barx12 2 sets, 65x8) 95x5, 105x3, 115x10
Dips(all bodyweight) 10 reps, 10, 7, 8, 6, 7 (50 ttl reps was the goal)
Chins(done on smith with feet on block laying flat) 10, 8,6,6,5
Hammer machine shrugs 180x15, 180x15, 180x15, 180x15, 180x15

Felt really good and like the fact that I am lifting some decent weight. I obviously set my marks to low but can adjust my next cycle.

Q
11-09-09, 9:46 pm
Looking good in here FBG... How is the knee treating you?

fatbackgoal
11-09-09, 10:40 pm
Looking good in here FBG... How is the knee treating you?

Knee is holding up pretty good. I am just taking it easy and building up my weights.

fatbackgoal
11-10-09, 12:45 pm
Today was deadlifts. Last week I went with the sumo style but that just didn't feel comfortable. Today I went with the traditional style.

Deadlifts: (warm up 135x8, 205x3) 275x5, 315x3, 345x8
Good morning: 65x12, 65x12, 65x12
Hanging leg raises: 5 reps, 5 reps

Couple of things:
- Deadlifts felt really good. The APT knee sleeves I got felt really good and provide just a little support but keep my knees warm.
- I DID HANGING LEG RAISES-the proper way. Can't believe I was able to keep my big a@@ up. I finally get to work these muscles you call "abs"?
- The Wendler system says next week should be a deload week but I am thinking that since I put my starting weight so low I will just go into the next cycle. The only problem is I am not sure what to set the weight at.

Currently I am taking the following supplements:
Universal Uni-Liver
Omega 3 capsule
Animal M-Stak
Animal Pak
Animal Flex

I was listening to an interview with Layne Norton and I think I am going to add two sessions of HIIT cardio to my week so I will have 4 slow, 2 HIIT and off on leg day. Diet is getting dialed in daily. I am getting that constant hunger feeling but not starving.

fatbackgoal
11-12-09, 11:10 am
Bench press day this morning. Dragging a little bit from what feels like a cold coming on but amazing what a packet of M-Stak can do for you.

Bench press: (warm up 2 sets 135x10) 185x5, 210x3, 235x8
Incline DB: 60x15, 60x15, 50x15, 45x14
bb bent rows: 4 sets of 135x10

Everything felt real good today. Don't know if the M-Stak would really have an effect after only 4 days but I feel pretty good lifting the weight. I watched a video of Flex Lewis doing bent rows where he pulls the weight a little higher to his chest and this really worked. I have been downing a shake only about 45 minutes before training but I think I may add some oatmeal as I was starting to get real hungry during the inclines. Need to order a belt but can't decide where to get it from. Also thinking about trying some Crealyze.

J Wong
11-12-09, 11:28 am
www.prowriststraps.com

...for a belt

Firedrake
11-12-09, 7:09 pm
Lookin' GOOD, bro! Congrats on the hanging leg raises!

Mr. Dead
11-13-09, 2:53 pm
Lookin' GOOD, bro! Congrats on the hanging leg raises!

x2!!!

fatbackgoal
11-14-09, 2:30 pm
A quick workout today, just trying to get it in along with son's hockey practice and haircuts. This was the last buildup of my first wave using 5/3/1. I know my max numbers were set low especially with the squat but wanted to see how the knee held up. Will now pick numbers that are more in line with what I am lifting and really push myself.

Squats( warm up with light single leg extensions then one set 135x5) 145x5, 175x3, 205x10
Leg press: 3 sets of 5plates each side for 10 reps

Feeling good and will now hit it hard building up to next March. Tomorrow will be sled drags and maybe some car pushing.

fatbackgoal
11-15-09, 12:54 pm
Easy day today. Took my 8 year old son out with me and we did some work with sandbag carries, tire sled drags and hills. Nothing like spending time with your kids outdoors doing something physical.

fatbackgoal
11-16-09, 9:26 am
Ok..feeling good this morning and went in and hit the military press hard. Still need to work on my pre-workout meal in the morning. Currently I am just having a shake with roughly 40 g Pro but I might add some oatmeal to the mix.

Stand BB Military press (warm up bar only then 65x10) 90x5, 105x5, 120x10
Dips BWx13, BWx10, BWx10, BWx8
Chins (neutral grip) BWx5, BWx4, BWx4, BWx3
BB Shrug 4 sets of 225x10

Not a lot of reps on the chins but just wanted to get used to pulling my weight up. I will switch between these and chins on the Smith with my feet supported. Dips are feeling good and it may be time to add some weight here soon. Feeling good and excited about what I can do over the next 4-5 months if I stay steady with the weight and get the food dialed in.

J Wong
11-16-09, 9:54 am
Great work man, definitely add oats in the pre workout meal.

Firedrake
11-16-09, 4:52 pm
Looks like we're right in the same ballpark on chins, bro -- let's face it, at our weights, it's a major challenge!

Great work!

fatbackgoal
11-17-09, 4:20 pm
Short and sweet today with deadlifts on the menu. I got to the gym late so only had time to hit my deadlifts and hanging raises.

Deadlifts (warm up with 135 and 225 working on form) 250x5, 285x5, 325x6
Hanging leg raises 3 sets of 5 reps (know that is not alot but a good start and working my way up)

Can really feel my strength going up while on the M-stak. Thinking about adding the Big Ant workout drink back into the mix. Tomorrow is cardio HIIT style, gonna give it a run.

Firedrake
11-17-09, 4:34 pm
That's some solid work, bro! Keep climbin'!

shortstack
11-17-09, 4:59 pm
You and me both brother.

Been seeing alot of improvement with your lifts Rod. Deads, pullups, all the stuff you struggled with before your tackling easily now.

Nice work.

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
11-17-09, 8:02 pm
Looks like we're right in the same ballpark on chins, bro -- let's face it, at our weights, it's a major challenge!

Great work!

Thanks man. Any small guy can do pullups but when us big boys get up and start doing them watch out. Have to make sure we hit them at the Arnold.

Beast Genetics
11-18-09, 7:44 pm
Looking solid in here brother, keep it up!!!

fatbackgoal
11-19-09, 11:53 am
Well when the day first started I couldn't see it being anything but bad. We had folks at the house last night so did some panic cleaning. Moved my protein tub and this morning couldn't find. How does one lose a giant oil drum size tub of protein powder. I headed to the gym to hit chest not sure what to expect. Popped on Pandora and the first three songs were Ratt, Kiss and old school Van Halen. It was on from there!!!

Bench press: Warm-up (bar for 10, 95x10, 135x6- I am really trying to get my form down)
175x5, 205x5, 230x7
DB bench: 4 sets of 60x15 then 60x12
DB rows: 5 sets of 80x10

Feeling really good and just trying to get that good solid base built. Big frame can take a lot of muscle so just trying to pack it on. I am going to add cardio as I want to be around 270 for the Arnold. If you squint real hard in a low lighted room you can almost see the foundation of a halfway decent body.

firsthorseman97
11-19-09, 12:56 pm
Nice workout, Rod. Once you have your form nailed the weights will really skyrocket! I like what I'm seeing in here.

Firedrake
11-19-09, 8:40 pm
Oh, I've seen the foundation, Rod -- you have it in there -- now to bring it out!

Good work!

fatbackgoal
11-20-09, 12:17 pm
Legs today. Working on making sure I have proper form for powerlifting so concentrating on getting deep.

Squat WU 135x5 150x5, 170x5, 190x8
DB lunge with 20lbs 2 sets of 24 lunges
Leg Ext 2 sets of 100x10
Leg Curl 3 set of 100x10

This weekend will be cardio. Looking back I think I have set the right numbers for my maxes in this system.

Firedrake
11-20-09, 3:20 pm
Lookin' GOOD, bro -- keep the form tight and you'll get it right!

fatbackgoal
11-27-09, 10:32 pm
Well yesterday I was finally able to get back into the gym and it felt good. While the time off is good for the body in my mind it just does something to me especially when I have a good string of workouts going. Did an AM and a PM workout yesterday hitting shoulders first then back. I had to use the express facilities of my gym since the main ones were closed. Not as good a selection of exercises but good enough to get work done coming off being sick.

AM: Shoulders
Smith military press: 95x10, 135x10, 155x8, 175x8, 205x3
Dips: BWx10, BWx8, BWx9,BWx8
Smith machine pullups(lateral) BWx8, BWx6

PM:Back
Nautilus deadlifts: 1plate each side X10. 2Px10, 3Px10, 4Px6
smith rows: 135x10, 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
Reverse hypers: BWx10, BWx10

Started feeling the pain again in my right elbow so pulled back a little. I just wanted to make sure I got some work into these areas. Stayed pretty controlled over thanksgiving dinner

fatbackgoal
11-27-09, 10:36 pm
Today back in the gym and hitting chest.

Bench press: 135x10, 135x10(warmup) 190x3, 210x3, 240x6
DB bench: 70x10, 70x10, 90x10, 90x8
Lat pulldown: 100x10, 150x10, 150x10

Elbow was still feeling a bit off so shut it down. Tomorrow will be legs. Finally starting to get some thickness built up which was one of the major things I wanted to accomplish in this run.

fatbackgoal
11-28-09, 10:40 pm
Legs were the order of the day today. Really trying to focus on bringing up my quads and hoping the extra effort put into leg work will show in the upper body as well.

Warm up: Foam roller then leg ext for 3 sets of 10 with 100 lbs
Squats: Warm up with 135x10 for 2 sets
160x3, 185x3, 205x7
Leg Press: 5 plates a side for 10, 6Px10, 8Px6, 9Px6
Leg Curl: 105x10 for 4 sets

Feeling good but will see how we are in the morning. Cardio then crank it up next week with new wave.

Firedrake
11-28-09, 11:09 pm
Nice way to get back in there! Very well done -- even that first "improv" yesterday was some solid work!

Big Al
11-28-09, 11:31 pm
Keep it up Big man!!!

belladiabla13
11-29-09, 12:14 am
Solid workouts! Love your determination!! Keep it up!!

fatbackgoal
11-30-09, 12:46 pm
Feeling a little off this morning and I don't know why. Feels like it is going to be a struggle to keep anything down. Have not felt right in over a week so it better clear up pretty quick.

Standing Military press: Warm up with bar then 65 for a couple sets
105x5, 120x3, 135x6
Dips: 3 sets of BW times 10
Chins (close neutral grip): 3 sets of BW times 4. Just trying to work on full range and force my body towork for these.

Got out of the gym as I said earlier was just not feeling right. Workouts are going good and can definitely feel that I am getting stronger and possibly adding some size. Will not be shredded for the Arnold but if I can come in big and thick and ready to roll for contest time later in the year that will be perfect. Number 1 goal is to do what they say is to difficult- pack good size on a 6 foot plus bodybuilder au natural.

fatbackgoal
11-30-09, 12:47 pm
Solid workouts! Love your determination!! Keep it up!!

Thanks for the support. How are your workouts going?

fatbackgoal
11-30-09, 12:47 pm
Keep it up Big man!!!

Thanks. Trying to really push the weight to lead to some size gains. Not gonna be the smallest one in our ABC group in Cbus this year.

fatbackgoal
11-30-09, 12:48 pm
Nice way to get back in there! Very well done -- even that first "improv" yesterday was some solid work!

Thanks. Just want to make sure I have a solid base for my workout but don't get stuck in a rut.

fatbackgoal
12-01-09, 11:40 am
Tuesday is here so that means deadlifting . I am really liking this move as to me it is a true test of your overall body and lets face it nothing looks more impressive to me than someone lifting heavy weight off the floor then letting it crash down. I am not in that group yet but getting there.

Deads: warmed up with 135 and 225. 285x5, 325x3, 365x5
Good mornings: 4 sets of 10 with just the barbell
Hanging leg raise: 3 sets of 6 (working up on these)

I really paid attention to my form on the deadlifts. Last week one of the trainers told me I was rocking so I went back and watched the "starting strength" dvd again and that helped alot. Gonna complete the last two days of this wave then for the month of December do the "big but boring" routine for the 5/3/1. In January will start the cut for the Arnold.

J Wong
12-01-09, 11:48 am
Great deadlifts man!

Firedrake
12-01-09, 8:00 pm
Very nice work, bro -- I can't get all the way to the floor because of my back implants, but I loves the rack deads, I do.

firsthorseman97
12-02-09, 10:02 am
Great Dead work, Rod. 4 pies for reps before ya know it!

shortstack
12-02-09, 3:51 pm
Nice work Bro. I'm pretty sure you've been a little off because I haven't been there in the mornings. haha

I hope to be back in Tomorrow big guy.

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
12-03-09, 2:18 pm
Chest today and feeling good. While strict form has you lighten the load when you do hit that groove it feels great and everything feel lighter.

Warmed up the shoulders with some small dumbbell work then did the pec dec machine to top everything off

Bench press: 2 sets 135x8(WU) 205x5, 230x3, 255x4
Incline DB press: 3 sets of 80x10
Kroc BB row: 3 sets of 135x10

I probably should and could have gotten more reps on the last set of benches but didn't had an inexperienced spotter and didn't want to chance it. Kroc rows were a little bit different but felt really good.

Been eating big to get big and I think it is starting to show. Will be cutting down here shortly and changing over the workout slightly to the bodybuilding version of 5/3/1. If I can keep progressing with the weight increase regardless of the amount then I will be happy.

Firedrake
12-03-09, 2:58 pm
Looking real solid, bro -- great benching!

fatbackgoal
12-04-09, 4:23 pm
Rough morning in the gym. Went out with my wife to her company holiday party last night but did not have anything to drink. This morning just did not feel it happening. It had nothing to do with the fact it was leg day as I have had some really good sessions lately. Not a whole lot to write about so here it is.

Squats: 175x5, 195x3, 220x7
leg press: 5 plates x 10, 7 plates x 10 (shut it down as my legs were dragging)
leg ext: 4 sets of 100x10

Progress has been going well and today was the first day I have been on the program that I just wasn't feeling it. Next week I may do the suggested deload week then come back from that. I will once again need to refigure my max weights to plug in.

Firedrake
12-04-09, 5:27 pm
Bad days can happen. You got solid work done, though, and that's key. Dragging or not, you got in there and made it happen.

Keep goin'!

fatbackgoal
12-06-09, 10:44 pm
Bad days can happen. You got solid work done, though, and that's key. Dragging or not, you got in there and made it happen.

Keep goin'!

Thanks I appreciate the support. Have to look at all the factors to see why I felt like that and realize everything within my control.

I am going to go with my deload week this week then plug the following maxes into the formula:

Military press: Current-155/New-170
Bench press: Current-300/New-310
Deadlift: Current-425/New-450
Squat: Current-255/New-275

Also I am going to switch over to the bodybuilder template.

Firedrake
12-07-09, 1:01 am
Make it happen! You've got a good plan, now get to work! Hey, we may no longer be in a contest, but I'm still gonna push! <grin>

BionicMasterPiece
12-07-09, 1:03 am
Thanks I appreciate the support. Have to look at all the factors to see why I felt like that and realize everything within my control.

I am going to go with my deload week this week then plug the following maxes into the formula:

Military press: Current-155/New-170
Bench press: Current-300/New-310
Deadlift: Current-425/New-450
Squat: Current-255/New-275

Also I am going to switch over to the bodybuilder template.

Lets do IT!!!!!!!!!

fatbackgoal
12-11-09, 9:36 pm
Today was just a deload session of chest. No big numbers just working out reps with moderate weight of 185, 195 and 205. Inbetween sets was doing assisted chins with a wide grip and getting a great pump. I am going to add these back to my workout. Finished up with 3 sets of Nautilus incline and 3 sets of wide grip pulldowns where I really paid attention to strict form and slowing down the reps.

fatbackgoal
12-17-09, 11:30 am
Time to get caught up on the workouts that I was able to get in so far this week. Sorry for not being more timely but will do better in a week.

12/15/09

Deads: warmup with 135 and 225 for 3-4 sets really working on form
265x5, 305x5, 345x8
Seated rows: 135x10 for 4 sets(emphasize a good stretch pull with back)
Good Mornings: 45x10, 65x10, 65x10

I love to deadlift and it was feeling good. With the heavier work I have been doing I can really tell a difference in my grip strength. I need to concentrate on my form as I have a tendency to rock back and forth and not bring the weight up in a straight line.

12-16-09

Military press: couple of warm up sets 100x5, 115x5, 130x10
Dips: BW times 10 for 4 sets
lateral pullup: BWx8, BWx8, BWx6
DB side Lateral: 20x10 for 4 sets

Delts, lats and upper chest are finally starting to get some size and shape. Just need to work on losing the love handles to show some taper.

Extreme
12-17-09, 12:30 pm
Just read through your journey and have to say much respect. I too am a bigger guy who is in need of a major body recomp and I've just recently come back to the gym. Your journey has given me some extra motivation and desire and for that I thank you. Keep up the awesome work!

J Wong
12-17-09, 2:49 pm
keep it up bro!

firsthorseman97
12-18-09, 6:29 am
Great work, Rod!

shortstack
12-18-09, 2:43 pm
Nice work Rod. I'm really impressed with your lifting improvements.

I over slept this morning courtesy of the little one but I'll be in the gym tonight at about 5:30pm to catch up.

Hope to see you in they gym sometime again to ive me some spots. Also check out the Iowa animals, I posted a couple of dates to see what sticks.

Stay hard at it bro. See ya soon

Jeremy

Big Al
12-19-09, 2:37 pm
Yo big man, heres a link to my diet.....changed some but still mostly the same.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=27089

fatbackgoal
12-19-09, 7:36 pm
Really good day today in the gym. After taking my son to hockey practice I was able to get in a good chest workout.

Bench press: 4 warmup sets then 180x5, 210x5, 235x7
Incline with towel wrapped around bar: 4 sets 135x10
Tbar rows: 2plates x 10, sets of 3 plates x 10
tri pushdowns: 2 sets 70x10, 2 sets 60x10 (right elbow really tender on these today)

I switched things up and added some exercises I have not used on the program. I am trying to get 4 shakes in today and so far have had 3. Cardio shall begin next week and I will be cranking up the contest prep full gear. Would like to get on stage for at least 2 shows next year.

Steve101
12-20-09, 5:52 pm
235 x 7...........Great Job!!

Firedrake
12-20-09, 6:02 pm
Solid work, bro -- keep grindin'!

fatbackgoal
12-21-09, 9:15 pm
Ok let's start with yesterday. Due to work being crazy right now I had to switch things around and get a leg workout in on Sunday. The bad thing was I had to do it at the express workout facility that has no barbells. Had to make due and get on with it.

Smith Squats wide stance: warmup 135x8(2 sets) 160x5, 185x5, 210x8
back raise(holding 25 pound plate): 25x12(4 sets)
lunges: 2 sets of 20 holding 25 lb plate in each hand
Leg ext:4 sets of 100x20

I really like the feel of the wide stance squats. I know a lot of people say don't do smith squats but they felt good. I may add them in here and there.

fatbackgoal
12-21-09, 9:39 pm
Today was a good day focusing on military presses.

Military press: couple warm up sets then 105x3, 120x3, 140x7
Dips: BWx10 for 5 sets
DB rows: 80x10 for 4 sets
Tri Ext: 80x15 for 4 sets

I think the presses are really helping me get growth on my delts which will help the taper once I lose this gut. I wanted to add weight to the dips but they didn't have a belt for big boys so luckily a guy I workout with sometimes is going to let me borrow his.

Soreness today from the leg workout yesterday but a good sore. I may have to jump in the hot tub on the porch and have a soak. Tomorrow will be deadlifting and chiro appointment. I am looking for a massage therapist that does ART as that seems to have some real benefits for bodybuilders. Also going to put together my list of supplements I will be ordering to take me up to the Arnold. Need to find a good protein and glutamine powder. I may also give Gaspari Novadex XT a run.

fatbackgoal
12-22-09, 4:38 pm
Feeling good day as it was deadlift day. Did not have a lot of time and my legs were still feeling sore from Sunday so I decided to drop the leg presses that were supposed to be done at the end of the workout.

Deadlift:135x5(2 sets) 225x5, 285x3, 325x3, 365x10(PR!!)
Leg Curl:4 sets of 80x10(slow pace squeezing at the top)

The deadlifts felt real good and have to say there was no issue with my grip which was the trouble when I started the program. Maybe just maybe I can get some size on my back and legs. The weird thing today was that looking in the mirror with my belt on gave me some real inspiration. I actually saw some taper which tells me if I put my nose to the grindstone (or treadmill) and drop the weight I have a real chance of looking halfway decent. Went to the chiropractor in the afternoon and although my regular guy wasn't there was still able to get a nice adjustment. Real wierd how once you find a good chiro you are almost afraid to go to anyone else.

J Wong
12-22-09, 5:19 pm
Awesome deadlifts, 365x10 is no joke. According to Wendler's formula you are around a 485 deadlift.

fatbackgoal
12-24-09, 6:28 pm
Since I was off today I went into the gym about 3 hours later than I usually do. Holy weightbelt Batman. Place was packed but luckily folks were staying off the machines that build muscle.

Bench: 135x10, 135x5, 195x3, 225x3, 250x5
Incline bench: 135x10, 155x10(4 sets)
Lat Pulldown neutral wide grip: 120x10, 150x10, 200x10, 250x10
Tri rope pulldowns: 75x10 (3 sets)

My right elbow was really hurting on the pulldowns. It was hurting a bit during the bench press but once I widened my grip it went away.

The real news of the day was my wife closing on her first house. She has put up with so much for me to go through this crazy lifting schedule and it was nice to see her doing so well with her new profession. I am very proud of her!!

fatbackgoal
12-24-09, 6:29 pm
Awesome deadlifts, 365x10 is no joke. According to Wendler's formula you are around a 485 deadlift.

Thanks. For some reason I have really taken to them. How is your training coming along?

fatbackgoal
12-28-09, 2:01 pm
Ok the holidays are over and time to press the gas pedal. New year will be best year. Have really made a lot of improvements I didn't think were possible and those have me excited about what is yet to come. Yesterday was a makeup leg day so tried to make the best of it.

Squats: 135x5(2 sets warmup) 175x3, 200x3, 225x10
Back Raises: 4 sets of 10 holding a 25 lb plate
Seated leg curl: 4 sets of 110x15
Leg ext: 4 sets of 125x15

Really good feel to my legs. I know the weights are nothing but if you had told me I would be doing 225 for reps with the way my knee was feeling I would have told you that you were crazy. Dropping the weight and getting the form down has really helped. The next week will be spent getting the eating plan in place and stocking up on supplements. Trying to find a good protein powder at a good price so we will see what happens. Probably the biggest change I will be making is getting more sleep at night. Gonna give it a go of trying to cut out the tv and see how my body responds to more sleep.

toobigfred
12-28-09, 5:30 pm
Long time no chat. Keep up the hard work.

shortstack
12-28-09, 5:51 pm
Nice work Rod. You're really making a ton of improvements and def headed in the right direction. Nice work on those squats.

PS I'm heading in Thursday night to work out with Sean, Chest and Shoulders. If you can make it let me know, otherwise I'll be back in on Friday around 8 when they open.

See ya See ya Tuesday Bro.

Jeremy

Firedrake
12-28-09, 6:18 pm
Great looking work, bro -- I'll be hitting the squats again tomorrow -- the knee finally seems to have calmed down.

fatbackgoal
12-28-09, 10:32 pm
Nice work Rod. You're really making a ton of improvements and def headed in the right direction. Nice work on those squats.

PS I'm heading in Thursday night to work out with Sean, Chest and Shoulders. If you can make it let me know, otherwise I'll be back in on Friday around 8 when they open.

See ya See ya Tuesday Bro.

Jeremy

Will probably go in the morning as that is year end close and we will be busy all day. See you tomorrow morning, gotta big pull coming.

fatbackgoal
12-28-09, 10:33 pm
Great looking work, bro -- I'll be hitting the squats again tomorrow -- the knee finally seems to have calmed down.

Backing the weight down and using good form has really helped me out. Let me know how it goes.

fatbackgoal
12-28-09, 10:38 pm
Military press day:

Standing military press: (warmup sets of 95x5) 115x5, 130x3, 145x5
Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps with 25 pound plate around waist
Tbar row: 4 sets of 10 reps with 4 plates
Vbar pushdown: 4 sets of 15 reps with 120

Good workout tonight as the Shock Therapy kicked in. Thanks Jeremy for letting me use your dip belt as the added weight really made a big difference. Gonna get some rest in tonight as i have a big deadlift day coming in the morning.

fatbackgoal
12-29-09, 11:41 am
Deadlift day today so I was really pumped. Adding Shock Therapy before workout. Not a whole lot in the workout as I had done legs on Sunday and after the deadlifts would like to give them a rest.

Deadlift:135x5, 225x5, 225x5, 310x5, 345x3, 385x10(PR)
Leg curls: 2 sets of 120x15, 2 sets of 100x10

That was it time to go to work. I did have shortstack video the 385 set and I will be posting to get feedback on my form. After looking at it I think I am not using my legs enough to start driving the weight off the floor. Crazy to think that on 7/25 I struggled to get 405 off the ground for 1 rep. I did not really add deadlifts to my program until I started the Wendler program the first week of November. Now to bring up the squat and all will be good.

shortstack
12-29-09, 11:51 am
Very good work today Rod. You got those 10 reps with good form and probably could have pushed a couple more.

Excellent work today

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
01-01-10, 9:04 pm
Well I was a good boy last night and stayed in. My wife had to work at her job at a nice restaurant so I waited for her to get home with some leftovers and we shared a bottle of bubbly. This morning it was up and at them for bench press day.

Bench press:135x5, 135x5, 205x5, 235x3,265x5(pr)
Rack chins(on Smith machine): 4 sets of BW x 10
Incline bench: 135x10, 155x10, 185x10, 185x10
Overhead Tri Rope Ext:4 sets of 100x15

Good session today. The bench work went up pretty well. I had talked myself out of using the 185 for all my sets of incline then I heard BigAl's voice telling me to not be a pussy and put the weight on the bar and look what happened, I nailed them. Thinking of skipping the deload week next week when I add in my M-Stak cycle. Tomorrow is legs and will be using a wider stance to give it a go.

firsthorseman97
01-04-10, 6:51 am
Solid session, Rod! Great way to start off the new year.

fatbackgoal
01-05-10, 9:32 am
Solid session, Rod! Great way to start off the new year.

Thanks for the support!!

Firedrake
01-05-10, 9:39 am
Make it happen bro! You GOT it goin', and you're makin' progress!

fatbackgoal
01-11-10, 1:49 pm
Ok I have been out of the loop for the last week as I wanted to give my shoulder a chance to take a rest and do some healing. So here are the new numbers for the next cycle:

Bench: 325
Deadlift: 500
Military P: 185
Squat: 300

I know that eventually I will need to start pushing the weight on squats but right now it is going good and I don't want to push things.

firsthorseman97
01-11-10, 2:00 pm
You will definitely make those numbers a reality! Time to get after it, Rod.

Firedrake
01-11-10, 6:14 pm
Make it happen, bro -- I know you can!

fatbackgoal
01-17-10, 9:44 pm
Ok I have been away for a little bit but did get some workouts in. Soccer training has started again so coaching 3 nights a week and trying to get some cardio in with the kids.

I have been using the Wendler 5/3/1 program and am seeing really good results. With that being said I am going to step away from it for a bit and go back to a more traditional bodybuilding type workout. I will still incorporate the big lifts but will bring the weights down a little and up the reps. Yesterday I decided to do a little Chest/Back work.

Bench Press: 135x10, 135x5, 225x4, 275x1, 295x1, 225x5
T bar row(v grip): 3 plates for 10, 4p x 10, 5p x7, 5p x 5
Dips: 4 sets of bodyweight times 10
Pulldowns(medium grip): 4 sets of 120x10
Rope hammer superset with V bar pushdown: 4 sets of 10 with 70-hammer curl/80-pushdown

Felt really good and got a good pump going. With my next program I am going to move legs up to the beginning of the week and work at a slightly quicker pace. Time in the gym is becoming a premium so will have to get more done with less time. Also starting a post workout shake with protein and glutamine.

fatbackgoal
01-18-10, 11:16 pm
Today was a shoulder workout with a more traditional bodybuilding protocol.

Smith Military Press: 95x10,135x10,185x5, 205x2/135x10 (drop set)
DB side lat: 25x8 for 4 sets
Incline rear laterals: 20x10 for 4 sets
DB shrugs:120x10 for 4 sets

Good workout this morning. Shoulders are really responding to training. Tomorrow is leg day, leg press and power squat.

firsthorseman97
01-19-10, 6:32 am
Nice shoulder work, Rod. Glad their responding. That's what counts.

fatbackgoal
01-23-10, 10:42 pm
Well today was a simple day in the gym but of course I left my workout book at home. I will try to remember what was done.

Warmed up with cable crossovers going slow and holding
Db bench: 70x10, 80x10, 90x8, 100x8
Smith incline: 135x10, 185x10, 205x8, 225x5
Partial Dips with 45plate: 4 sets of 8
Neutral grip wide pulldown: 150x10, 200x10, 220x10,220x10
Hammer row: 3Px10, 4Px10, 5Px8, 5Px8
Straight arm pulldown: 4 sets of 10x50

The M-stak kicked in nicely and really powered through the workout. Starting to get some good size but need to work on the midsection. Gonna be allover that treadmill like Forrest Gump.

toobigfred
01-24-10, 4:11 pm
Great job

BubbyLight
01-24-10, 4:54 pm
get it gump

fatbackgoal
01-24-10, 9:42 pm
Great job

Thanks man..how have your workouts been going?

fatbackgoal
01-24-10, 9:42 pm
get it gump

Thanks man. How is the contest going for you so far?

J Wong
01-24-10, 9:44 pm
Are you still planning on competing?

fatbackgoal
01-24-10, 9:49 pm
Nice day today. Did 45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill and abs (have never seen them but they tell me they are there so I will go with it) Then this afternoon went to the ice rink and worked with my son playing goal. Tomorrow is delt day so i see heavy shoulder presses in my future.

toobigfred
01-25-10, 1:00 am
Thanks man..how have your workouts been going?

Consistent. That is the best way to describe them.

fatbackgoal
01-25-10, 4:57 pm
Well I woke up this morning and my knee felt like the size of a basketball. I think playing goalie will be put on hold for awhile. Unable to get a workout in at the office and I don't want to put it off a day so tonight I will be doing standing presses in the garage. Current temperature is 21 degrees with a windchill of 3 so it should be interesting. I am thinking 100 reps of standing presses. Can't wait!

fatbackgoal
01-26-10, 9:40 am
Due to the weather my soccer practice was cancelled so no training. Had my stuff in the car so I decided to work out at the express location of my gym. Not bad but really not a whole lot of free weights mostly machines and db's up to 75 lbs.

Smith shoulder press: 135x10, 135x10, 185x10, 205x5, 225x5
DB laterals: 20x10 for 4 sets(slowed down movement really trying to get a good pump)
Rear cable laterals: 65x10 for 4 sets(again good squeeze)
Heavy Db side laterals(partial reps): 50x10 for 4 sets
shrug machine: 2Px10, 3Px10, 4Px10, drop set to failure to finish

Felt really good and I am finally starting to get some thickness on my delts. Body is finally starting to get a good shape that right now only needs to be dieted down.

fatbackgoal
01-29-10, 7:07 pm
Hit chest hard yesterday and felt it all day and today. Switching from the 5/3/1 to a more traditional program has felt good. After testing it first hand will switch to Rage's system up until the summer. Had a dose of M-stak about 20 minutes prior to the workout.

BB Incline: 135x10, 185x10, 205x8, 225x5
Hammer flat chest: 2Px10, 2Px10, 2Px8, 2Px6
DB fly: 20x10, 30x10, 30x10
Partial Dips(with 25lbs): 2 set of 8 then took weight off BW full reps 10,6
Close grip bench:135x10, 135x8, 135x10
Rope pulldown:3 sets of 80x10

First time I have done flyes and close grip in a long time. Workout felt really good. Hammer machine felt weird so it may be something I need to grow used to. Sucked down some AllTheWhey and glutamine afterwards and it was all good.

toobigfred
01-29-10, 7:42 pm
I remember first doing the hammer press, it felt weird to me as well, but boy did it work the chest, gave me insane pumps every time.

fatbackgoal
01-30-10, 10:24 pm
Slept in this morning as my wife and I went out last night with friends to a local casino to see a good comedian and do a little gambling. Taught her how to play craps and we ended up $40 ahead which paid for dinner. This morning had to help my sister move her stuff out of storage into her new place. What is it about family that they feel the need to move into the apartment on the top floor. Had a little rest then hit back/bi's.

Wide grip lat pulldown: warmup 2 sets 120x10, 180x10, 210x8, 210x8
Tbar row(chest support): 2px10, 3Px10, 3Px8, 3Px8
Rope low pulls: 120x10, 160x10, 200x10, 200x10
Incline db curls:3 sets of 30x8
Machine preacher curls: 3 sets of 125x8
DB Hammer curls: 3 sets of 30x10

Whey and glutamine after and it was all good. Tomorrow is leg day...YEAH!!!!

fatbackgoal
01-30-10, 10:25 pm
I remember first doing the hammer press, it felt weird to me as well, but boy did it work the chest, gave me insane pumps every time.

Yeah I used to the one that pushes out a little lower. Will take some time getting used to it but I will.

shortstack
02-02-10, 3:21 pm
Awww I missed hauling furniture and boxes up stairs. Shoot bro you should have called...oh well, maybe next time,..wait I'm busy that day hahaha

Good to se I'm not the only one sleeping in. I have to go in tonight an make up a leg workout today, should be great with all the rubber neckers that show up at night.

See ya on Thursday Rod.

Jeremy

Firedrake
02-02-10, 5:07 pm
Gee, you helped your sister and THEN did all that? I feel like a wuss! My back workout on Saturday was helping my roommate move storage units. Granted, there were three truckloads, but I was wiped after all that.

Great stuff!

shortstack
02-04-10, 1:42 pm
Looked real good today Rod. I can tell that your strength is really climbing. Come October you should be in beastly shape.

See ya next week bro,

Jeremy

fatbackgoal
02-04-10, 2:20 pm
Another cold morning but that seems to get me fired up for a good workout. Chest and tris were the order for the day. Switched the exercises around a little bit to give it a different feel.

DB flyes: 20x12, 20x10, 50x8, 50x8, 50x8
Bench press: 135x10, 225x8, 245x6, 275x2
DB Incline: 70x8, 90x8, 105x5
Dips(with 35lb plate): 10,6,6
Tri pressdown(v grip): 100x12, 150x12, 150x12, 150x12

Felt good and really feeling the workout now. Have gone away from the Wendler systerm to give my body a rest on the joints and go to a more traditional system. Went to my son's wrestling practice last night and worked out with one of the high school kids. I am feeling it this morning, can't wait to do it again next week!

fatbackgoal
02-04-10, 2:21 pm
Looked real good today Rod. I can tell that your strength is really climbing. Come October you should be in beastly shape.

See ya next week bro,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. Your workouts are looking solid. After the Arnold let's make sure we start hitting the HellRaiser program.

Firedrake
02-04-10, 3:37 pm
Great stuff! Your training is looking solid!

fatbackgoal
02-04-10, 9:08 pm
Great stuff! Your training is looking solid!

Thanks man. I am now going to work on cutting the fat and see what lies underneath.

fatbackgoal
02-06-10, 1:47 pm
Nothing gets your Saturday going like a good back workout.

Assisted pullups(pin set at 120): 8,6,6
Rack deadlifts(pin below knee): 135x5, 225x6, 315x3, 405x5, 455x2
V grip pulldown: 210x8, 255x5, 255x6, 255x5
BB bent row: 135x8, 225x5, 225x6, 225x5/135x10-drop set
BB curl: 3 sets of 70x10
Machine preacher: 110x10, 125x10,125x10
Rope hammer curls: 100x10, 150x10, 150x10

I don't know why I was not doing chins at the beginning of my workout before. These will now be a staple and will work on dropping the counter weight used. Grip was a little off today so will have to keep working on that.

fatbackgoal
02-09-10, 2:23 pm
A little snow fell last night and this morning so I didn't want to slide over to the gym then try to make it to work so used the gym at our office building. Not the greatest but it has enough to get the job done. Working shoulders and using a workout from Flex Lewis that felt pretty good.

DB side laterals: 25x10, 35x10, 35x10, 35x10
BB clean/press: 65x8, 65x8, 95x6, 95x6
DB partials: 55x10, 75x10, 75x10, 75x10
BB shrugs: 3 sets of 225x15

On the clean press you clean the weight to your shoulders then do 2 presses which equals one rep. These felt really good and will now work towards adding more weight. Shoulders are responding well and finally seeing some growth.

shortstack
02-09-10, 3:24 pm
Nice Rod, I'll have to try that shoulder press thing and see how it works.

I'll catch up with ya later this week bro.

Jeremy

Firedrake
02-09-10, 6:23 pm
Great work, Rod! Nice way to improvise.

fatbackgoal
02-13-10, 8:21 pm
Great work, Rod! Nice way to improvise.

Thanks appreciate you stopping by.

fatbackgoal
02-13-10, 9:53 pm
Something about the cold weather gets you going to workout. It was chest/back day and I was using some of the items Dorian Yates talked about in his videos over on MD. If you have not seen them you need to. The way he explains things is simple but effective, and it doesn't hurt being a multiple Mr. Olympia winner

10 minutes on the stationary bike
Machine press: 1Px12, 2Px10, 2Px10, 2Px6
Assisted Chins(pin on 120lbs) 8, 6, 6
Smith Incline: 135x10, 205x8, 225x8, 245x6
BB Bent Row: 135x10, 185x10, 185x10
DB Fly: 30x10, 40x10, 40x10
Pullover Machine: 110x10, 110x10, 110x10

I have made a slight change to my shake intake as I will be trying to get in 3-4 shakes daily that have 66 grams of protein. I will also add a shake with glutamine at bedtime.

fatbackgoal
02-14-10, 2:34 pm
45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill then calves and abs. Legs tomorrow so gonna get set for that by resting and watching the Olympics.