PDA

View Full Version : How is your sleep and how much?

Thumperz
01-23-07, 12:02 am
I like to sleep on my side but as I'm getting bigger my hands will fall asleep in the middle of the night or my shoulder will hurt in the morning because it feels like I internally rotated it too much while I slept.

I'm trying to force myself to sleep on my back. How does everyone else sleep and how much do you get? I could sleep 10 hours a day if I let myself. Which is fine when your 18 but I'm 30. I have too much crap to do. I cannot get up in less than 8.

Bam Bam
01-23-07, 4:13 pm
I like to sleep on my side but as I'm getting bigger my hands will fall asleep in the middle of the night or my shoulder will hurt in the morning because it feels like I internally rotated it too much while I slept.

I'm trying to force myself to sleep on my back. How does everyone else sleep and how much do you get? I could sleep 10 hours a day if I let myself. Which is fine when your 18 but I'm 30. I have too much crap to do. I cannot get up in less than 8.

I sleep on mai side most of the time and mai arm also falls asleep during the middle of the nite. I try to get at least 7-8 hours a nite and im 19 years old. If I get any less I feel drained during training.

ghost
01-23-07, 4:14 pm
how do i sleep....i usually close my eyes and pass the F out.

kooldudejm84
01-23-07, 4:41 pm
thats how i sleep too....give me a place to lay and i'm gone...but mostly on my stomach

Maccabee
01-23-07, 5:08 pm
When i have off from school i will take advantage of the extra time and sleep 8 hours a day, but when i have college, work, and other things I am into I sleep only about 5 hours and i have adapted to that time. Sometimes during my vacations i will fall asleep and literally wake up about 5 hours later my body can just sence it i guess.

dirtydean12
01-23-07, 6:23 pm
When i have off from school i will take advantage of the extra time and sleep 8 hours a day, but when i have college, work, and other things I am into I sleep only about 5 hours and i have adapted to that time. Sometimes during my vacations i will fall asleep and literally wake up about 5 hours later my body can just sence it i guess.

I feel ya man, I get home from work around 1030/1100, get a meal or shake in, sleep...then wake up at 545. Its rough.

xschizx
01-23-07, 6:28 pm
I know what you mean, I sleep on my side for the most part, but have been waking up in the morning with my hand/arm asleep.. shit sucks..

Shadow
01-23-07, 6:38 pm
I used to sleep on my side but like you all said you wake and cant feel ur fuckin hand/arm....one night woke up durin the the night..real fuckin tired..went for a piss..my hand was so numb cudnt feel my dick..so i said fuck dat..started sleepin on my back...then i started to snoore..pissed off my girl..now im on my front..no problems yet...............!!

Magnum
01-23-07, 7:06 pm
Sleep's huge... I get around nine hours a day. Usually sleep on my stomach.

xb24
01-23-07, 8:57 pm
nothing worse than trying to sleep on your side after an arm workout, fuckin wake up and arms feel like their so numb you wouldnt even know you had any.

Arbalest
01-23-07, 9:08 pm
Stomach sleeper here.

I won't lie, I barely get any sleep at all. 5 hours max. My life is just soo full right now I don't get the luxury of a full 8 hours. Hopefully next semester though.

Simps
01-23-07, 9:25 pm
I tend to wrap my arms around my wife, while sleeping on my back. I try to get 8 hours of sleep each night, if not, I nap the difference.

vik
01-24-07, 12:06 am
i sleep on my side i try to go for eight and a half hours

bayareasrick
01-24-07, 2:05 am
I like to sleep face down but my girl like me on my back with her head on my chest and arms wrapped around me, she loves to snuggle lol. She calls me her snugglebear haha. I'll wake up face down no matter how I go to sleep though.

As far as time my body automatically wakes up after 6 hrs of sleep, I can't go back to sleep after that and besides I feel more than 6 hrs and I'm wasting time.

couple favorite quotes "I can sleep when I die!!!" young jeezy and "Sleep is the cousin of death." can't remember where I heard that one.

when I was in college my proffessor informed us that if people slept 12 hrs a day they would live longer BUT most of that LONGER time was spent sleeping I thought to myself what a waste of time and I'd rather exeprience life awake young and die earlier than live a long old sleeping life. Again, Just my .02

Thumperz
01-24-07, 4:21 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wakes up with numb hands. For me it's the Ulnar nerve. It controls the pinky finger and 1/2 of your ring finger straight over to your wrist.

Totally sucks.

Thumperz
01-28-07, 2:37 am
I'm amazed how little people sleep on their backs. I sleep with a body pillow under my knees when I'm on my back or between them if I'm on my side.

When I was taking one of my classes I realized I sleep with all of my joints in an open pack position. (When there is the most amount of space between the bones)

big H
01-28-07, 2:47 am
definately dont sleep verymuch anyway but like when i get less than 4 hours im usually pretty damn tired come party night. I definately like my tummy the most tho.

niladmirari88
01-29-07, 12:56 pm
with AM cardio, about 5-6 hours

Alivewhenimdead
01-29-07, 7:45 pm
during the school week I get about 4 a night and then 12 on the weekends...it was hard to get used to, but now it seems normal

Mickey
01-30-07, 7:41 pm
how do i sleep....i usually close my eyes and pass the F out.

nice, very nice...

LuvsThePain
01-30-07, 8:01 pm
I can't sleep on my side. I always wake up in the morning with a numb arm. Sounds like everyone else has the same problem. I usually get at least 8 hours each night on my stomache. I would rather sleep on my back because I've heard that it's healther for your spine that way.

musclealchemist
01-30-07, 8:34 pm
i dunno how people can sleep on their stomachs, it hurts my neck and my lower back

jeff00z28
04-28-07, 1:52 pm
Im kinda in between jobs for a few weeks right now... Left one for another but I dont start the other until may 14. So I wanted to make some sick gains the next 2 weeks. If i got 10-12 hours of sleep per night would it be ok to train every day? I would do a 5 day split, and on the 6th day start over. Normally that would be too much obviously but it seems like it would be pretty easy w/ such a large amount of sleep and rest time. I wanted to know if any1 else has done this.

Giant Killer
04-28-07, 2:09 pm
An even better idea is to just keep your training the same and get the extra sleep. I'm sure it would ifluence your gains.
I can't recommend training every day as you have to remember you're training stabilizer muscles and complimentary muscles every time you train. In addition to that you will get mentally worn down.

Remember you grow when you're out of the gym.

Torque757
04-28-07, 5:02 pm
An even better idea is to just keep your training the same and get the extra sleep. I'm sure it would ifluence your gains.
I can't recommend training every day as you have to remember you're training stabilizer muscles and complimentary muscles every time you train. In addition to that you will get mentally worn down.

Remember you grow when you're out of the gym.

ya man, just keep training the way you are with the extra sleep.

RoJoHen
04-28-07, 5:09 pm
Time off = extra sleep and extra food. I wouldn't train any more than you are, though.

jeff00z28
04-29-07, 1:19 pm
ya i know what u mean w/ the stabilizers. i was doin some db press w/ weight taht i can usually hammer out 8+ reps and my wrists were twisting all over the place when i usually never had that problem

Maccabee
04-29-07, 1:44 pm
I cant wait for school to be over. I am still going to train the same way, but like others said I am going to be resting a lot. 9-10 hours sleep a day, and I am going to throw in a 45 minute nap.

jeff00z28
04-29-07, 2:17 pm
ya i am in college as well but out already for the year. when i had my christmas vacation i gained 10 lbs of muscle in a few weeks i was amazed at what could be done when u have all the time in the world to sleep. my ultimate goal is to be 230-240 ripped naturally but im about 210ish right now

Giant Killer
04-29-07, 2:32 pm
How tall are you jeff?

jeff00z28
04-29-07, 2:35 pm
About 6,2. So I obviously have a while to go. a lot better than the 165 i was tho lol

NickSP
04-29-07, 2:41 pm
I cant wait for school to be over. I am still going to train the same way, but like others said I am going to be resting a lot. 9-10 hours sleep a day, and I am going to throw in a 45 minute nap.

I can wait...kinda....my summer job is like fuckin high school all over again: Mon-Fri 7-3:30 (our HS went 7:20-2), the office is about 100 yards from the school, and my gym is almost a half hour from home. Only reason I wanna leave is to see my friends, not worry about homework, and make money lol

Maccabee
04-29-07, 2:41 pm
ya i am in college as well but out already for the year. when i had my christmas vacation i gained 10 lbs of muscle in a few weeks i was amazed at what could be done when u have all the time in the world to sleep. my ultimate goal is to be 230-240 ripped naturally but im about 210ish right now

I have the same goal bro. I am also about 210's, and I wanna become 230-240 ripped.

Giant Killer
04-29-07, 2:43 pm
About 6,2. So I obviously have a while to go. a lot better than the 165 i was tho lol

I was just curious how you would be carrying that 230. Sounds feasible.

jeff00z28
04-29-07, 2:54 pm
i wanna be big enough to where every1 turns and looks, but i dont want to be as huge as an ifbb star. not to mention i want to keep it natural

Chin
04-29-07, 3:29 pm
I can wait...kinda....my summer job is like fuckin high school all over again: Mon-Fri 7-3:30 (our HS went 7:20-2), the office is about 100 yards from the school, and my gym is almost a half hour from home. Only reason I wanna leave is to see my friends, not worry about homework, and make money lol

Crappy deal bro... I decided to take a summer class so I can stay and train ha... My gym is in plain sight of my house while I am here...

PikeBoy22
04-30-07, 12:04 am
I know what ya'll mean...just got out of college this last week...finals killed my sleep/lifting pattern and its gonna be nice to get back into a groove

Aengus
04-30-07, 8:30 pm

I don't know...a part of me just gets fucking insane when I get fresh off a 15-hour day of work and class, I feel like I am inhuman, going to the gym after I had busted balls all day. Like a machine.

jeff00z28
05-01-07, 12:12 am
ditto. I'm a full tiem colelge student and my college is 8-2 monday - friday basically then went to work and after that a power nap and then kill the gym. Now that im not so busy i miss looking forward to the gym all day while i was busy nonstop.

mcbeast
05-01-07, 2:40 pm

at 5'7" 215 @ 10% bf sounds reasonable..
im 195 now at about 15% i think

then again im more for strength,id just like an impressive back

mcbeast
05-01-07, 2:41 pm
yeah school stress n work are a bitc..only sleepin about 5-7 hrs a night

tekky
05-01-07, 3:11 pm
Jeff, like others said before the time you grow is when you're not in the gym. Keep the training the same and eat clean, and eat more. The gains will follow.

You hit it brother, the 45 minute nap is so clutch when you're lacking with sleep. I love coming home from work and getting that nap in when I have time.

ironshaolin
05-01-07, 7:35 pm
Even Arnold, who worked every bodypart intensely 3 times a week had a rest day. You need to have at least one day to recover completely. With that much sleep, I could recommend finding a split in which you have one day rest, and hit every body part maybe twice a week. Get Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding, best book ever made.

billmd1334
05-01-07, 7:41 pm
I'd keep the training the same and get as much sleep as possible... remember you grow when you rest.. not while you're at the gym...

Keep the intensity high, and keep the diet tight... and the sleep will reward everything....

jeff00z28
05-01-07, 7:50 pm
unfortunately i have the stomach flu right now and havent eaten or moved in over 24 hours. If I eat I will just throw it up. It sucks

jeff00z28
05-03-07, 3:30 pm
lost close to 10 lbs so from this fucking shit. still cant eat. a buddy asked me if i was taking cocaine

Dingo
05-03-07, 6:28 pm

feasible?????
anything is possible with determination, knowledge and the common sense to use that knowledge.

im climbing the road to to 265 at 5'10''

mcbeast
05-03-07, 6:40 pm
265 damn..
got pics?

Frankie86
05-03-07, 8:04 pm
for some reason if i sleep longer than 8 hours im even more tired through out the day..like last night i got about 5 1/2 6 hours of sleep and i was perfectly fine durin the day and my workout was awesome..two nights ago i got about 9-10 hours of sleep and i was more tired through the day and my workout was under par..and it got me frustrated because i figured more rest better workout.. I try and stay to about 7 or 8 hours and no more..I dunno it works for me

Northman
05-26-07, 7:34 pm
I work for myself now and I am able to do something similar. I added an additional back day. One for hypertrophy and the other for strength. I got the idea from a very competitive bench presser who does a power day and a hypertrophy day. It has worked REALLY well for me. I also would take a nap in the middle of the day as opposed to all at once at night. This way you get to eat to make sure you aren't getting catabolic while you sleep.

18-Delta
05-27-07, 12:36 pm
There is tons of science out there about the detriments of too much sleep. Some even suggesting it is more damaging than too little sleep. Hop on a search engine and check it out. What you find could very well change your minds about trying to get massive amounts of sleep. Below is an excerpt that I think is very interesting.

Too much sleep can weaken your sleep system. Your body is not awake for long enough to absorb enough sunlight, get enough exercise or partake of enough tiring activities.

Your body temperature takes a long time to climb to normal in the morning making you very drowsy for several hours after waking. In fact you body temperature may not climb to its peak at all, so you may feel lethargic all day. This is because excess melatonin that has been released by keeping your eyes closed for a long time does not dissipate quickly leaving you feeling drowsy and drained of energy.

Too much sleep can actually weaken your immune system leading to lowered resistance to colds, flu or worse.

Bruiser
05-27-07, 1:01 pm
keep your training the same. remember, you grow while you sleep. so keep the same training but add the extra sleep and you'll see a difference

dominate77
05-27-07, 4:22 pm
Im kinda in between jobs for a few weeks right now... Left one for another but I dont start the other until may 14. So I wanted to make some sick gains the next 2 weeks. If i got 10-12 hours of sleep per night would it be ok to train every day? I would do a 5 day split, and on the 6th day start over. Normally that would be too much obviously but it seems like it would be pretty easy w/ such a large amount of sleep and rest time. I wanted to know if any1 else has done this.

i always feel more tired when i get extra sleep, for the whole day...but i've gone times where i didn't take a day off for like a month while still getting about 8-9 hours a night when i was trying to get my bench and squat max stronger by trying to train every body part twice a week with a chest, back, shoulders, legs split....of course since there was not 8 days in a week i just ended up not taking a rest day....it worked well, (for a while) i did what your suggesting but when i was done i was really really tired mentally so it wasn't good for me and i wont do it again....i do have a friend that almost never misses a day in the gym (even when he stays home from school...i know)....he's the strongest mother fucker in my school for his weight and most other weights....he's 17, about 190...max bench was 305 last year, squated 405x10 recently, and i think his max squat was 495...was overhead pressing 225 for a few reps...that might not be that strong to all of you but in my small town thats insane....but yeah anyways everyones different, it works well for him, but not for most people

peterpyper
05-28-07, 2:15 pm
There is tons of science out there about the detriments of too much sleep. Some even suggesting it is more damaging than too little sleep. Hop on a search engine and check it out. What you find could very well change your minds about trying to get massive amounts of sleep. Below is an excerpt that I think is very interesting.

Too much sleep can weaken your sleep system. Your body is not awake for long enough to absorb enough sunlight, get enough exercise or partake of enough tiring activities.

Your body temperature takes a long time to climb to normal in the morning making you very drowsy for several hours after waking. In fact you body temperature may not climb to its peak at all, so you may feel lethargic all day. This is because excess melatonin that has been released by keeping your eyes closed for a long time does not dissipate quickly leaving you feeling drowsy and drained of energy.

Too much sleep can actually weaken your immune system leading to lowered resistance to colds, flu or worse.

sounds pretty good i agree with it,shit for some reason the sun gives me crazy energy heard it was good for the bones aswell

humanforklift
05-29-07, 12:52 pm
Keep it the same bro, I aim for the same amount of sleep each night, even on the weekends. Since I wake up at 5 for work during the week, I don't sleep much later than 6 on the weekends. When I sleep longer, I just feel overtired and like I missed a meal. I'd keep the gym time the same as well..

Lightnin'
10-29-09, 2:14 pm
What's the word on sleep? and how much?

Sometimes I struggle to get 6 hours. Any Pins or Stickys out there on Sleep? I couldn't find any.

C.Coronato
10-29-09, 2:18 pm
I get as much as i can, which hurts, because between 2 jobs, am cardio , night training, and cooking equals to about 5 hours.

I have grown accustomed to it, and i feel ok with 5-6 hours. When i can sleep in on the weekends if i go over 6, i feel real shitty.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-29-09, 2:19 pm
What's the word on sleep? and how much?

Sometimes I struggle to get 6 hours. Any Pins or Stickys out there on Sleep? I couldn't find any.

As much as possible. haha

I function best on about 6-8 hours. Anything more than that and I feel groggy all day. I'm sure some pro bodybuilders that don't have jobs outside of bodybuilding get 10-12 hours of sleep a day, but on the flipside of that you have pro's like The House that have a wife, kids, and a job. I'm sure Erik doesn't get 12hrs of sleep a day, and he's growin just fine.

Lightnin'
10-30-09, 3:19 pm
I get as much as i can, which hurts, because between 2 jobs, am cardio , night training, and cooking equals to about 5 hours.

I have grown accustomed to it, and i feel ok with 5-6 hours. When i can sleep in on the weekends if i go over 6, i feel real shitty.

Over 6? Wow, that sucks man. Do you nap?

N. Motta
10-30-09, 3:32 pm
Usually at least 8.5 for me.

willah
10-30-09, 10:31 pm
I shoot for 9 or 10 hours, definitely at least 8.

I love sleep, though, and it makes me feel great...

I am a side sleeper, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to force myself to sleep on my back - too bad, because it makes my back feel awesome in the morning.

BarbellManiac
04-03-11, 10:57 pm
Well spring break ends today, school tomorrow, have been averaging 10 hours for the past 8 days or so. Will go back down to 6-7 starting tomorrow. Was curious to see how much you guys get? And how you function with that amount?

IronWilson
04-03-11, 11:38 pm
6-7 Hours usually. 8-9 If I'm really tired and make it a point to go to sleep. Sometimes I have enough time to take a nap on my off days from the gym. We all just have to do what we can.

Isn't it sad that 8 hours of sleep is a tall order for a person these days?

TigerAce01
04-04-11, 12:08 am
I've been getting 4-5 hours broken in half lately. My baby was born 3 weeks ago, so it's been a little rough. Honestly though, after a couple of weeks, I began to function just like before when I got 10 hours. I just try to get as much sleep as possible on the weekends, and I seem to be pretty much okay.

Also, if you find yourself tired during the day, try some meditation. It sounds like a load of shit, but I've been meditating and visualizing for years, and 30 mins of meditation feels like a good couple of hours in the sack.

-Ace

violator
04-04-11, 6:11 am
when i was 26% bf i found i needed 9-10 hours

at sub 8% now, i find i only need 6-7, cant actually get any more than that even if i try but recovery is still just as good.

Back To Basics
04-04-11, 6:13 am
I try to get 9-10 hours a night, but find it really hard to fall asleep if I'm shooting for 10.. So most times it's 9 hours.

I get 8 hours and I feel like falling apart.

MRmichael.hooker
04-04-11, 7:08 am
I've been getting 4-5 hours broken in half lately. My baby was born 3 weeks ago, so it's been a little rough. Honestly though, after a couple of weeks, I began to function just like before when I got 10 hours. I just try to get as much sleep as possible on the weekends, and I seem to be pretty much okay.

-Ace

Ha, dont worry bro, it gets easier. Congrats on the baby.

Punisher
04-04-11, 8:50 am

at sub 8% now, i find i only need 6-7, cant actually get any more than that even if i try but recovery is still just as good.

I def feel being leaner I need much less sleep sometimes I only get 5-6 hours and I even wake up in the middle of the night ....in the past if I didn't get at least 8 hours straight I'd be done the entire day it's weird how the body changes

Loomis
04-04-11, 8:56 am
on average 5-6 hours a night. On my days off I like to sneak in a "healthy" nap (2 hours).

Bruiser
04-04-11, 9:09 am

Also, if you find yourself tired during the day, try some meditation. It sounds like a load of shit, but I've been meditating and visualizing for years, and 30 mins of meditation feels like a good couple of hours in the sack.

-Ace

Congrats bo. I know how you feel. My son who is almost five has been sick since last Tuesday and I have to sleep in a single bed with him when he's sick (how do you tell an autistic child with tears streaming down his face that it hurtsDdaddy's back to sleep like that?). So I've been getting maybe 3-4 hours a night lately. I ususally shoot for 9-10 hours, especially during a cut. It's not that hard to get the sleep in here at my house. I'm old school when it comes to my kids. At 8:00pm shut off all TVs, computers, etc. and get ready for bed (brush our teeth, wash our face and hands). Then I read the boys a bedtime story for an hour and lights out at 9:00pm. Since we home school, we don't have to be up early and most times aI can sleep til 7am. It's good to be Daddy.

G Diesel
04-04-11, 9:24 am

I def feel being leaner I need much less sleep sometimes I only get 5-6 hours and I even wake up in the middle of the night ....in the past if I didn't get at least 8 hours straight I'd be done the entire day it's weird how the body changes

That is really interesting. I bet there is something to that. I also believe that attitude and disposition play a large role in sleep requirements.

I get about 5-7 hrs on average during the week and try to get 8-10 on the weekends.

Peace, G

chrisco915
07-07-11, 9:04 am
As sleep is imperative.........how are you sleeping these days.

Brick By Brick
07-08-11, 3:00 pm
I get about 9-11 hours a night. Making the most of this time off from work, while it lasts.