PDA

View Full Version : How much protein should you eat?

Strongarm
01-23-07, 1:17 am
I remember hearing somewhere that the body can only use roughly 50g of protein per meal, is this true? My protein powder has 24g a serving, and I usually use 3..which is a good bit more than 50g.

bobbyj654
01-23-07, 1:24 am
you wont shit out the protein if you have too much, it will just be stored for other energy sources

Strongarm
01-23-07, 2:47 am
Yeah, sorry I didn't clarify more, when I said 'use' I meant for anabolic purposes.

hjayss
01-23-07, 2:52 am
There are people who will 27g, 50g, and even people who will say you only need about 60 g in a day, but what do the animals say I do about 60- 70 a meal I eat 8 times a day . man it works for me if I gain muscle I do not loose ir since I started doning it this way.

RoJoHen
01-23-07, 4:27 am
I still haven't figured out how much protein my body really needs to grow. My dad worked at a meat packing plant when I was growing up, so I was constantly eating steak, even as a small child. He also used to make me protein shakes, which is one reason I think they're absolutely delicious as an adult.

However, even after all of that, I am still a very slim person. I grew up eating so much protein that I need a ridiculous amount just to MAINTAIN my current weight, let alone adding mass.

Different bodies respond differently. I've read the 50g rule before, but I don't necessarily buy it. I think you just need to experiment and find out for yourself.

Toni69
01-23-07, 4:33 am
I always wondered if there was any truth to the whole theory that your body can only metabolize no more than 50g of protein at one time. I always ignored it, just in case it was not true. I can easily eat, in one sitting, about 60g of protein, if not more...as long as you your drinking loads of water and eating fiber, like greens and wherever else your fiber sources are coming from, what could go wrong?

Millhouse
01-23-07, 7:32 am
you wont shit out the protein if you have too much, it will just be stored for other energy sources

Just like if you eat too many carbs, i believe that you could run the risk of having some of that excess protien turning into stored fat...(other energy sources). I would suggest as well that it depends on the type of protien. Like carbs they digest at different rates while being broken down. Unlike carbs i think that it is harder for protien to be converted to stored fat, unless its fatty meat. I think that you would have to also take into account body type and previous diet. I too have wondered how much is too much, like some that have posted I take in about 50 G a meal over 6-7 meals.

J-Dawg
01-23-07, 8:25 am
Believe it or not, the body is very efficient at digesting protein. If you were to have a meal with even 100g of protein, your body will still have to break it down. If I remember correctly, about 90-95% of the protein (depends on source) will be broken down. About 5-10% is excreted. What your body does with that other 90-95% depends on where it's needed... tissues, organs, muscle, liver, etc, all require the amino's from protein. I don't know who ever came up with the theory that your body has a threshold on the amount of protein that can be digested & absorbed. The body is very efficient at breaking macronutrients down. So, it just ain't true. I mean think about when you go to an all you can eat buffet... I know I probably ingest 150-200g of protein at once, even then, most of it will be digested (though it will take awhile).

G Diesel
01-23-07, 12:16 pm
Believe it or not, the body is very efficient at digesting protein. If you were to have a meal with even 100g of protein, your body will still have to break it down. If I remember correctly, about 90-95% of the protein (depends on source) will be broken down. About 5-10% is excreted. What your body does with that other 95% depends on where it's needed... tissues, organs, muscle, liver, etc, all require the amino's from protein. I don't know who ever came up with the theory that your body has a threshold on the amount of protein that can be digested & absorbed. The body is very efficient at breaking macronutrients down. So, it just ain't true. I mean think about when you go to an all you can eat buffet... I know I probably ingest 150-200g of protein at once, even then, most of it will be digested (though it will take awhile).

Very informative post J-Dawg... Thanks. Peace, G

Freak
01-23-07, 12:18 pm
I remember hearing somewhere that the body can only use roughly 50g of protein per meal, is this true? My protein powder has 24g a serving, and I usually use 3..which is a good bit more than 50g.

Stop worry about numbers bro. Don't be fixated with 'em. Experiment and see if 24g works for you, or if 50g works better. Everyone's different. You gotta tailor things to your needs.

bobbyj654
01-23-07, 12:46 pm
just do around 50-60 grams 5-6 times a day to be on the safe side
better to have too much protein rather than not enough

xman
01-23-07, 1:55 pm
i usually try to keep it 50 cuz wen you go over thats just more work for your stomach to digest all at once... and in the long run. it ull jack me all up. my grandfather ate meat twice a day through out his whole life and his liver now is barely functioning so ... i always been a little cautious.

Detonator
01-23-07, 2:10 pm
I know I've read more than once that protein intake should be 1 1/2 to 2 grams per pound of body weight. Split the total across the number of meals you eat per day.

BigAnt
01-23-07, 10:12 pm
Off season goals --you want to add mass and size...just eat!
Pre-contest is tricky, you need enough protein for repair and recovery, but to much will not make you shredded, it is very individual from one person to another...example if you eat 350 grams of lean protein a day (egg whites, tuna, shakes, turkey, chicken) and your body only burns-uses 275 grams of protein, the remainder could be stored as fat...

mgmmaze
01-23-07, 11:21 pm
I used to buy into that you can only digest so much protien at one time once. My aunt is a nurse and she kept telling me that shit well since i starting taking in more calories and more protien im slowly becoming bigger but im defitnaly getting bigger.

IRONADDICT45
01-24-07, 1:53 pm
about the whole protien debate that every trainer and doctor tells you...stop OVER COMPLICATING IT...we all know that we need at least 1 gram of protien per pound to maintain...excuse me but i want to grow and with the grueling workouts i/we do we need more amino acids to grow and repair that muscle tissue...so yeah keep the protien coming every 2-3 hours and drink shit loads of water a day (1.5-2 gallons) to keep it all flowing to the muscles

Maccabee
01-24-07, 2:53 pm
Believe it or not, the body is very efficient at digesting protein. If you were to have a meal with even 100g of protein, your body will still have to break it down. If I remember correctly, about 90-95% of the protein (depends on source) will be broken down. About 5-10% is excreted. What your body does with that other 90-95% depends on where it's needed... tissues, organs, muscle, liver, etc, all require the amino's from protein. I don't know who ever came up with the theory that your body has a threshold on the amount of protein that can be digested & absorbed. The body is very efficient at breaking macronutrients down. So, it just ain't true. I mean think about when you go to an all you can eat buffet... I know I probably ingest 150-200g of protein at once, even then, most of it will be digested (though it will take awhile).

I agree with J-Dawg, it makes sence.

Budsbythebeach
04-30-07, 10:44 am
So im asking this because everyone and the mother tells me i need lots of protien, and i obey this, possibly blindly. Most meals i have between 50-70 protien counting the milk i drink. My shakes are usually 70 grams.

Thing is ive read from Sgt. Rock in blue collar blulking, and others, that you only absorb 30-35 grams per meal.

Now im sure some meals you can eat more without wasting the protien, possibly post workout or breakfast, but other then that is over 40grams protien in a meal simply a waste?

Bob
04-30-07, 11:10 am
From what I've read, there's not a set number on how much protein the body can absorb and assimilate. Heck, if you take in 100g, depends on the quality of the protein source, most of it will be absorbed (higher than 90%).
In terms of efficiency-- around 40 seems to be more efficient for the body to process.
But I don't understand how this "set number" came about.

Liftbig21
04-30-07, 11:38 am
i think the whole perception of it is stupid and shameful to follow....If the body only absorbs 30 grams then how does big ron and cutler take in 600 a day?...how? b/c the 30 gram per meal is bullshit....theres alot of brothers on here that preach you have to eat big 6 meals a day then say you can only absorb 30 grams...6 meals at 30 grams is only 180G of protein..what does that tell you?

Giant Killer
04-30-07, 11:55 am
Because I'm hungry.

bharatoza
04-30-07, 12:11 pm
" #4 You can digest only a certain amount of protein per meal.Somewhere along the way, the idea that a body can handle no more than 30 g of protein per sitting wedged its way into nutrition circles. That’s an old wives’ tale. Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger grew on 30 g of protein every three hours, the equivalent of eating only four or five ounces of chicken at each meal? Think again. Protein digestibility and the amount your body can handle per meal is tied to how much you weigh and how hard you train. The more you weigh, the more you need; the harder you train, the more you need. In turn, the more you need, the more you’ll be able to digest, absorb and assimilate. A 200-pound male will, in general, need more protein than a 160-pounder and should be able to digest more per meal. Digestibility is also linked to the amount of protein you consume on a regular basis. The more protein you eat regularly, the better your body becomes at digesting large protein meals. "

http://www.flexonline.com/nutr/61

Toni69
04-30-07, 12:16 pm
i think the whole perception of it is stupid and shameful to follow....If the body only absorbs 30 grams then how does big ron and cutler take in 600 a day?...how? b/c the 30 gram per meal is bullshit....theres alot of brothers on here that preach you have to eat big 6 meals a day then say you can only absorb 30 grams...6 meals at 30 grams is only 180G of protein..what does that tell you?

First off..can most of us even be categorized in the same class as a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler? Hmmmm, NO! so dont compare.

Second, daily protein requirements for active people have been disputed for years between sports medicine professionals and those who decide on the US RDA's. My personal opinion and that supported and accepted by most sports nutritionists and bodybuilding experts is 1 to 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. This is a perfectly safe and very effective amount for any active person. Any less and your recovery and growth will suffer and any higher amounts of protein don't seem to be any more beneficial, either.

Your protein intake should be approximately 30 to 35% of your total caloric intake. A 200 lb male eating 3000 calories per day would want to consume 250g of protein per day, this would be around 33% of his total calories.
If your bulking, you want more carbs right? About 2 to 2.5, maybe 3g of carbs per lb of bodyweight.

Take into consideration, everyone has different metabolic rates...The human body's metabolism is controlled by one main factor, your thyroid gland, which is determined on how much you eat and how often you eat. The macronutrient that is going to help you gain muscle or maintain muscle is carbs, NOT protein.

Eating too many carbs can make you gain excess body fat, (if your hormones allow it), but this can be controlled by eating protein, because protein releases very little insulin and helps to keep insulin stabilized. Protein is also the hardest of the three macronutrients to digest and get into your system, so your body has to work harder to digest the food, this in turn increases your metabolism.

This is why we limit the amt of protein we eat in one sitting (especially when dieting)...you have to time your meals accordingly, eat small meals more frequently, and combine protein with some carbs for balance and proper digestion so the body can better metabolize what your consuming.

Budsbythebeach
04-30-07, 1:02 pm
First off..can most of us even be categorized in the same class as a Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler? Hmmmm, NO! so dont compare.

Second, daily protein requirements for active people have been disputed for years between sports medicine professionals and those who decide on the US RDA's. My personal opinion and that supported and accepted by most sports nutritionists and bodybuilding experts is 1 to 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. This is a perfectly safe and very effective amount for any active person. Any less and your recovery and growth will suffer and any higher amounts of protein don't seem to be any more beneficial, either.

Your protein intake should be approximately 30 to 35% of your total caloric intake. A 200 lb male eating 3000 calories per day would want to consume 250g of protein per day, this would be around 33% of his total calories.
If your bulking, you want more carbs right? About 2 to 2.5, maybe 3g of carbs per lb of bodyweight.

Take into consideration, everyone has different metabolic rates...The human body's metabolism is controlled by one main factor, your thyroid gland, which is determined on how much you eat and how often you eat. The macronutrient that is going to help you gain muscle or maintain muscle is carbs, NOT protein.

Eating too many carbs can make you gain excess body fat, (if your hormones allow it), but this can be controlled by eating protein, because protein releases very little insulin and helps to keep insulin stabilized. Protein is also the hardest of the three macronutrients to digest and get into your system, so your body has to work harder to digest the food, this in turn increases your metabolism.

This is why we limit the amt of protein we eat in one sitting (especially when dieting)...you have to time your meals accordingly, eat small meals more frequently, and combine protein with some carbs for balance and proper digestion so the body can better metabolize what your consuming.

Thats why i love toni, you ask for answer, instead of spewing out random thoughts, this girl pulls out medical and nutritional books.

Currently cutting but when i start bulking again ( 1 month ) im going to put myself in her hands.

Maccabee
04-30-07, 1:14 pm
I respect the whole scientific stuff, but just keep it basic bro

1-2 grams of protein
2-3 grams of carbs

others say

1-1.5 grams of protein
2-2.5 grams of carbs

Just keep it at those ranges and everything will be ok. Drink lots of water and get your kidneys and liver checked out once in a while. Lets get real here the amount of protein we eat is going right to our kidneys, so take care of em.

stumblin54
04-30-07, 1:17 pm
I'd rather be safe than sorry bro. I'll stick with eating more than I am "supposed to eat." Peace.

Stumblin

Giant Killer
04-30-07, 1:18 pm
I'd rather be safe than sorry bro. I'll stick with eating more than I am "supposed to eat." Peace.

Stumblin

My thoughts exactly.

Toni69
04-30-07, 1:22 pm

Stumblin

If you do..make sure you drink loads of water and eat lots fiberous foods and carbs to help the liver and kidneys do their job in busting ass and processing all the protein your consuming at once. Keep in mind, your body is your temple, treat it like one and it will last a long time...over compensate when you dont have to and you may find yourself with kidney stones or worse one day. Less is sometimes more...

Budsbythebeach
04-30-07, 1:24 pm

Stumblin

My thoughts exactly.

Well i love how everyone gives there quick answers, especially the ones like
" do you think thats how jay ronnie or arnold got big? "

well this is what Sgt rock mentioned, and all im asking is whats the reasoning behind it.

stumblin54
04-30-07, 1:50 pm
Well i love how everyone gives there quick answers, especially the ones like
" do you think thats how jay ronnie or arnold got big? "

well this is what Sgt rock mentioned, and all im asking is whats the reasoning behind it.

If you do..make sure you drink loads of water and eat lots fiberous foods and carbs to help the liver and kidneys do their job in busting ass and processing all the protein your consuming at once. Keep in mind, your body is your temple, treat it like one and it will last a long time...over compensate when you dont have to and you may find yourself with kidney stones or worse one day. Less is sometimes more...

I would say that there is no specific reasoning behind this, because there is no definitive research that proves how much pro can be digested per meal. I follow my method because it is exactly how the pros have gained quality mass, and if nothing else was there first giant step into the game. I would just rather stick with what's tried and true from past experiences Buds. And thanks for lookin' out Toni, you're the best. Just to let you know though, right now I'm drinking 2gal water per day, and I eat more greens than cows do. We're actually conducting some science experiments at CSU right on protein vs. water consumption in our EKG lab with some world class athletes. Pretty cool stuff.

Stumblin

Budsbythebeach
04-30-07, 2:00 pm
-Fuck
I was kind of hoping sgt rock was right, part of the time i love nothing more then eggs and chicken, the other part it makes me physically ill just looking at it, i try to eat with my mind elsewhere.

-Thanks for the help, so i take it sgt rock was incorrect?

Giant Killer
04-30-07, 2:28 pm
-Thanks for the help, so i take it sgt rock was incorrect?

I would definitely not say that. I think he's more onto something than absolutely "black & white" right. Like it has been said, there's really-surprisingly-not very much definitive research on this. Just keep your nutrition on and don't worry about numbers too much.

billmd1334
04-30-07, 2:35 pm
there's no proof that too much protein is a bad thing... so I would aim higher than lower... like with anything in lifting if you just aim for the lowest number possible you aren't going to accomplish much. Take in 60g of protein if you want... I think it's agreed upon by everyone that you need at least 1g of protein per lb you weigh... so just aim for that...

Budsbythebeach
04-30-07, 2:42 pm
there's no proof that too much protein is a bad thing... so I would aim higher than lower... like with anything in lifting if you just aim for the lowest number possible you aren't going to accomplish much. Take in 60g of protein if you want... I think it's agreed upon by everyone that you need at least 1g of protein per lb you weigh... so just aim for that...

i dont think i could make it thru my day with anything less then 200 grams ( 1 per lb )
and its not so much that i dont want to consume the protien, but i dont want waste it either, im mean lets be real protien isnt cheap. dunno about you but on a bulk i spend 80+ a week on just the bare essentials.

billmd1334
04-30-07, 3:07 pm
While I'm not a doctor by any means... I can't imagine you body having a shut off valve at 35g of protein for a meal...

stumblin54
04-30-07, 6:13 pm
Sgt. Rock was wrong by no means, and I don't think I was either. In fact, we could both be right because food is processed differently by different people, and I don't think there will ever be a black and white answer concerning how much pro can be utilized per meal because of all the different possible variables. Do what works for you though, and stick with it. Consistency is crucial in diet and training.

Stumblin

Liftbig21
04-30-07, 8:25 pm
Nobodys wrong,Nobodys right...Nobody really truely knows.Experiement with how much each meal works for you and stick with it,Might be more/less for some.Like everything else in this sport,everything works differently for everyBODY.

HardWorker
05-01-07, 8:34 am
If you are worried about wasting protein do what I usually do. Lets say your meal has 60-70g of protein. Just split the meal in half so you eat one half now and the other one hour later. For me it's easier to eat all the food that way.
Hope that helps

Budsbythebeach
05-01-07, 8:37 am
If you are worried about wasting protein do what I usually do. Lets say your meal has 60-70g of protein. Just split the meal in half so you eat one half now and the other one hour later. For me it's easier to eat all the food that way.
Hope that helps

possibly, but 70 isnt alot when ur bulking, chick breast-50 rice-10 or so, milk another 20+

Thanks everyone i didnt get any scientific answers like i wanted but eh.

Sgt Rock
05-01-07, 10:17 am
WOOOOO....calm down here folks! The AVERAGE person can digest in the neighborhood of 30 grams per meal...there is scientific data suggest this is accurate. Bodybuilders need much more protein...with that being said you CAN digest more....but dont for a minute believe you can just take in 100 grams of protein 3 times a day and get your 300g, its not going to happen. There are SO many variables involved in how much protein you can assimilate in one sitting, type of protein, activity level, age, sex, weight, and on and on. In my blue collar series some meals are over the 30 gram mark, because you need extra protein. Here is a simple meal plan to get 250-300 grams, aiming at 50 grams per meal:

1. 4 eggs, toast, cereal, 1 scoop whey with milk
2. Tuna sandwich, 1 scoop whey
3. 6oz chicken, veggies, potato
4. 2 scoops whey with skim and creatine, glutamine, fruit and granola bar
5. PWO shake with 50g protein
6. same as meal 3
7. Last snack 1 scoop whey with skim, oats

250-300g protein, remember the 30 grams is a guideline, I never said if you ate 30 you would assimilate 30! Aim for 1gram per lb bodyweight each day minimum

Semper Fi

Brute Strength
05-01-07, 11:22 am
we all know our bodys better than anyone else, and if you can take in that much protein at a time and not waste it, then go ahead but if not, save it for another meal. Then again poeple take mass shakes with their meals and the mass shake has 52 grams of protein along with the meal.....thats alot of protein!!

Liftbig21
05-01-07, 3:55 pm
WOOOOO....calm down here folks! The AVERAGE person can digest in the neighborhood of 30 grams per meal...there is scientific data suggest this is accurate. Bodybuilders need much more protein...with that being said you CAN digest more....but dont for a minute believe you can just take in 100 grams of protein 3 times a day and get your 300g, its not going to happen. There are SO many variables involved in how much protein you can assimilate in one sitting, type of protein, activity level, age, sex, weight, and on and on. In my blue collar series some meals are over the 30 gram mark, because you need extra protein. Here is a simple meal plan to get 250-300 grams, aiming at 50 grams per meal:

1. 4 eggs, toast, cereal, 1 scoop whey with milk
2. Tuna sandwich, 1 scoop whey
3. 6oz chicken, veggies, potato
4. 2 scoops whey with skim and creatine, glutamine, fruit and granola bar
5. PWO shake with 50g protein
6. same as meal 3
7. Last snack 1 scoop whey with skim, oats

250-300g protein, remember the 30 grams is a guideline, I never said if you ate 30 you would assimilate 30! Aim for 1gram per lb bodyweight each day minimum

Semper Fi

Great job Rock..And thanks for the clearup.

J-Dawg
05-02-07, 10:34 am
Just to clear up what my boy, Sgt. Rock said-- it's much more efficient for the body to process 30-50 grams of protein at a time (this number of course will decrease if you weigh less and increase if you weigh more).

As for protein digestability and absorption-- let's just say the body can process a lot of protein at one sitting. Now, say you eat out at a buffet and take in 150g of protein at that sitting (I know I would eat that much haha), the truth is that the body will be able to break just about all of it down (the exact percentage depends on the source and the bioavailabilty of the protein).

The problem with the above scenario is that this is a rather inefficient method for consuming your meals and it would take forever to digest (other problems can arise from this). As Sarge listed in his diet plan, it's much more efficient and less taxing on the body when you consume smaller, more frequent, quality protein meals in your diet and this is why I personally shoot for about 40-50g/ sitting. This is what I find works most efficient for me and it won't be the same for everyone here.

Wasteland
05-02-07, 10:55 am
Really, it all depends on the context here. Is the context post-workout? Is the goal sparking an anabolic response via protein synthesis? If so, 25g of whey protein might even be too much. Is the context a bulk? If so, though excess protein may ultimately be converted to urea, you are still deriving the calories from the protein. So a 50g protein shake is still going to give you 200 calories. So when people ask how much protein they should have per serving, it depends on the goals, or the "context".

YeaILift
05-06-07, 12:52 pm
I am 99% sure your body can process 50g's every 2 hours.

darkside64
05-06-07, 5:12 pm
like some of the more experienced guys have said. You cant say that 30grams works for everyone. It is kind of like saying 10 reps for exercises is optimum. I weigh 250lbs. I'm obviously not going to eat the same amount of protein a 200lb guys weighs. I have found that it is best if I take in 50-70 grams of protein every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. This keeps my muscles fueled, and I dont add useless fat. I would also like to say that I'm a firm believer in listening to your body, and going by results rather than rules. I'm 19 and weigh over 250 with less than 10% percent bodyfat. I have never had a personal trainer or nutritionist(not that I'm condemning them)

The TITANIC
05-08-07, 8:19 am
eat according to how much you train.if you kill your body at the gym,feed it proportianaly... hell,that could be 90g of protein a meal

Mule83
05-08-07, 10:16 am
When people are taking in 90-100g of protein and doing it no where near a workout is wasteful to me. Not only is it wasteful, I think it is borderline hurtful to your body. You start taking that that amount of protein a couple times a day just as a meal replacement and you are asking for problems. You are putting excessive strain on both the liver and the kidneys. Because, as you consume more protein, the kidneys must increase their filtration rate along with the liver. For some people they can do this and have no side effects. But if you are going to do this I would have a blood test to check your liver functions every 6 months or so to make sure it can handle that kind of load.

doomsdaylover
05-08-07, 10:59 am
my weight fluctuates between 190lbs and 210 or so over the last year and I follow a personal motto for determining how much protein to eat: I follow my gut. Right now I take in about 50 grams per meal, which is 1.5 grams x my current weight of 200 (300), divide that by how many times a day I try to eat, which is 6. So I take in about 50-60 grams per meal easily. And in my experience, no matter what type of food you're choking down, overeating is overating and excess calories turns to fat plain and simple.

grissinger
05-08-07, 11:21 am
When people are taking in 90-100g of protein and doing it no where near a workout is wasteful to me. Not only is it wasteful, I think it is borderline hurtful to your body. You start taking that that amount of protein a couple times a day just as a meal replacement and you are asking for problems. You are putting excessive strain on both the liver and the kidneys. Because, as you consume more protein, the kidneys must increase their filtration rate along with the liver. For some people they can do this and have no side effects. But if you are going to do this I would have a blood test to check your liver functions every 6 months or so to make sure it can handle that kind of load.

There is NO published evidence that too much protein is hazardous to your health in people that have normal functioning kidneys. All the negative information put out about high protein consumption and its hazrards has been extrapolated from studies done on patients with various kidney diseases. Those are the facts.

Mule83
05-08-07, 11:41 am
To say that there are "NO" evidence saying that too much protein could be hazardous to your health is a little out there. My wife, who is a pharmacist, has shown me several articles on the effects of too much protetin. I don't want to get into an argument, but I'm saying is that when you take that much protein (i.e. in excess of 100g per sitting) you are putting extra strain on your liver and kidneys. Just like anything else in your body, you work something too hard for an extended period of time, you are increasing your risk to have something go wrong. I'm not saying protein is bad.....that would be retarded. I consume 200g of protein a day, but not in two sittings.

There is NO published evidence that too much protein is hazardous to your health in people that have normal functioning kidneys. All the negative information put out about high protein consumption and its hazrards has been extrapolated from studies done on patients with various kidney diseases. Those are the facts.

flamey40
05-08-07, 12:19 pm
I'm not trying to be a dick but i'm not sure if i agree with you mule83. i think a lot of it has to deal with how old you are and what your size is. i think protein consumption is similar to alcohol consumption. this is a really bad example but it illustrates the point i'm trying to get across. if you take out the fact that everyone has their own tolerance to drinking you can see that the bigger you are the more alcohol you can consume without really feeling the effects. my girlfriend is like 150 pounds and can start to feel it after like 3 shots.
once again this is a bad example but i think the bigger you are, the more you can handle it. and by bigger i mean muscle wise, not being a fat ass. even look at wrath's dietary plan. 14-16 oz of steak in one meal. dude thats a pound of steak in one sitting, he does that 4-5 times a day. yea thats a shit load of protein, but then again wrath is a friggan monster.

grissinger
05-08-07, 12:29 pm
It is really a simple fact, I am not making it up do the research. There is NO, zero, zilch, direct evidence that high intakes of protein have an adverse effect on people that have normal functioning kidneys. All the negatives r/t high protein intake have been extrapolated on studies of pople with diseased beans. I am not going to go into the rodent studies where 80% of their energy intake came from protein with no remarkable data to the relationship with the kidneys or any other organ system. The only thing that a 100gram protien meal has the potential to be hard on is your wallet. If I am wrong please show me the research. Thx

Mule83
05-08-07, 12:32 pm
I'm not trying to be a dick but i'm not sure if i agree with you mule83. i think a lot of it has to deal with how old you are and what your size is. i think protein consumption is similar to alcohol consumption. this is a really bad example but it illustrates the point i'm trying to get across. if you take out the fact that everyone has their own tolerance to drinking you can see that the bigger you are the more alcohol you can consume without really feeling the effects. my girlfriend is like 150 pounds and can start to feel it after like 3 shots.
once again this is a bad example but i think the bigger you are, the more you can handle it. and by bigger i mean muscle wise, not being a fat ass. even look at wrath's dietary plan. 14-16 oz of steak in one meal. dude thats a pound of steak in one sitting, he does that 4-5 times a day. yea thats a shit load of protein, but then again wrath is a friggan monster.

I agree completely, if you are large enough mammal and your body can tolerate it without any side effects, take in as much protein as possible. I am just sayin if you do it, you might want to have a blood test to make sure your liver isn't begging for mercy.

Giant Killer
05-08-07, 12:40 pm
As for protein digestability and absorption-- let's just say the body can process a lot of protein at one sitting. Now, say you eat out at a buffet and take in 150g of protein at that sitting (I know I would eat that much haha), the truth is that the body will be able to break just about all of it down (the exact percentage depends on the source and the bioavailabilty of the protein).

The problem with the above scenario is that this is a rather inefficient method for consuming your meals and it would take forever to digest (other problems can arise from this). As Sarge listed in his diet plan, it's much more efficient and less taxing on the body when you consume smaller, more frequent, quality protein meals in your diet and this is why I personally shoot for about 40-50g/ sitting. This is what I find works most efficient for me and it won't be the same for everyone here.

Good to see that cleared up. Either way, protein with every meal, and 40-50 per sitting like you said J.

grissinger
05-08-07, 12:54 pm
Sports Nutrition Review Journal 1(1): 45-51 2004
High-Protein Diets and Purported Advers Effects: Where is the Evidence?
By Anssi H. Manninen

Universal Rep
05-08-07, 12:55 pm
What's the question here--whether extra protein can be utilized? For what? The "for what" is the real question.

grissinger
05-08-07, 1:07 pm
The original question was about absorbtion. SGT Rock/J-Dawg cleared that up pretty good. I only chimed in when I saw a statement about negative health effects of high protein diets. I hate when people make absolutley wrong statements and act like they know. Like I said, if you have normal functioning kidneys, the only thing a high protein diet can hurt is your wallet b/c your beans piss away the excess. I have an idea of what I am talking about, this was my thesis for my masters I spent 100's of hours researching this.

H.U.G.E
05-08-07, 1:20 pm
one of the best quotes i ever heard was summin like this.. " do you think arnold grew eating only 30 grams of protien per meal...no way man.. obviously it depends on your body type but i feel it is complete garbage.. eat big to get big man...

Mule83
05-08-07, 1:48 pm
The original question was about absorbtion. SGT Rock/J-Dawg cleared that up pretty good. I only chimed in when I saw a statement about negative health effects of high protein diets. I hate when people make absolutley wrong statements and act like they know. Like I said, if you have normal functioning kidneys, the only thing a high protein diet can hurt is your wallet b/c your beans piss away the excess. I have an idea of what I am talking about, this was my thesis for my masters I spent 100's of hours researching this.

Once again....to say that you can take in as much protein as you want no matter your body size or tolerance just as long as you have healthy kidneys is retarded. That statement tells me a 150 pound individual could start a diet plan of 150g of protein 7 times a day??? Shit....you might start with healthy kidneys. 99% of us don't look like Wrath, hate to break it to ya. I have an idea of what I am talking about.......My wife is a DOCTOR, not a self proclaimed expert who did a paper after 28 hours of grad school. She went to school for 5 YEARS to study what affects drugs and supplements have on people's body. That's her job. My info isn't coming from a grad student who might or might not have received a D on a thesis for all I know. That's what I hate, people who look up a few articles online and maybe write a paper in psych class and all of the sudden they are apparently writing for medical journals as experts in their field.

grissinger
05-08-07, 2:08 pm
Once again....to say that you can take in as much protein as you want no matter your body size or tolerance just as long as you have healthy kidneys is retarded. That statement tells me a 150 pound individual could start a diet plan of 150g of protein 7 times a day??? Shit....you might start with healthy kidneys. 99% of us don't look like Wrath, hate to break it to ya. I have an idea of what I am talking about.......My wife is a DOCTOR, not a self proclaimed expert who did a paper after 28 hours of grad school. She went to school for 5 YEARS to study what affects drugs and supplements have on people's body. That's her job. My info isn't coming from a grad student who might or might not have received a D on a thesis for all I know. That's what I hate, people who look up a few articles online and maybe write a paper in psych class and all of the sudden they are apparently writing for medical journals as experts in their field.

I am not going to argue with you or call you names. I was grad student many years ago. I have been in the medical field for over 20 years. The info I got didn't come from a grad student or a wife. It came from reviewed literature from experts in the field. Now they might have gotten their info from their wives but I doubt it. It is this simple show me the proof. DO not tell that your wife is a DOCTOR and went to school for 5 YEARS, ordinarilly it takes a little longer then 5 years to put MD behind your name, but that doesn't matter. Show me the studies that high protein diets have a negative effect on individuals with healthy kidneys. That is all you have to do, legimate research. I am sure you are looking now good luck. BY the way I received an A on that paper.

Preston
05-08-07, 2:20 pm
I am not going to argue with you or call you names. I was grad student many years ago. I have been in the medical field for over 20 years. The info I got didn't come from a grad student or a wife. It came from reviewed literature from experts in the field. Now they might have gotten their info from their wives but I doubt it. It is this simple show me the proof. DO not tell that your wife is a DOCTOR and went to school for 5 YEARS, ordinarilly it takes a little longer then 5 years to put MD behind your name, but that doesn't matter. Show me the studies that high protein diets have a negative effect on individuals with healthy kidneys. That is all you have to do, legimate research. I am sure you are looking now good luck. BY the way I received an A on that paper.

Drop it the subject grissinger. Be the bigger person.

G Diesel
05-08-07, 2:21 pm
This is an argument to a certain degree based almost entirely on anecdotal evidence... Is there any proof that large amounts of protein are dangerous for healthy individuals? No. Is there any reason for a 150 lb guy to be eating 700g of protein a day? No. We should eat for our short term size goal. We should eat in direct corrrelation to the intensity of our training. We should eat for efficiency. Do I believe that 100g of protein divided over the course of two meals would probably be more efficiently utilized than eaten all in one shot? Yes, probably... But I have no real proof. I think you each have valid points, but I tend to err on the side of guys who've lived it and who have applied theory to life in the real world. Regardless, show some respect. This is a place for the purposeful exchange of ideas... Not pin dick pissing matches. Peace, G

grissinger
05-08-07, 2:29 pm
You guys are right I am dropping it. I never said I thought it was the right way to eat, I agree 40-50g/meal q 2-3 is the best way to utilize protein. However G my comments are not anecdotal it is proven research. A 150 lb guy consuming 4200 calories of protein is anecdotal, and very constupating. I do give up anybody intersted just research it.

TehXshizzit
10-03-07, 8:42 pm
iv always herd 50g but dudes....in a good 12oz steak u can easy get like 60g of protein right there.....so ya??

whats the "REAL" answer..

Testpolska
10-03-07, 9:00 pm
You can take in 300g in one meal. Will your body use it? Well that depends on alot of different factors.

adidas
10-04-07, 8:41 am
Just to clear up what my boy, Sgt. Rock said-- it's much more efficient for the body to process 30-50 grams of protein at a time (this number of course will decrease if you weigh less and increase if you weigh more).

this is by far the BEST answer on this subject here...

the only part of your responce J that drives me nuts (and not just yours, but others i read here as well), is the word "sitting" when referring to protein absorbtion/utilization....

my question to any one who said the body can only absorb/utilize "X" amount of protein in one sitting is: "what is a SITTING?" because generally when you ask that one question, the person stumbles all over them selves with no definitive answer...

IRBS
10-04-07, 9:32 am
I hope no one takes offense to this, but if you do, oh well...

You guys are worrying WAY to much about little crap. Are you bulking or cutting? If you are bulking then eat like there is no tommorrow...if you are cutting, you will be eating less. The way to lose weight is by calorie reduction and the types of calories they are, but we all know this. This aint freakin rocket science here guys. If you eat 80g of protien in one meal and you weigh 200lbs, yeah, youve probably overdone it. If you eat 20g of protien, youve underdone it. Find a happy medium and see how YOUR body responds to it. I shoot for 50g of protien in one meal and I weigh 255lbs, but I know how much I need based on what I have done over time and the results I have gotten.

The way that my body responds to different types of food is completely different than the way other people's body responds. You have to play with your diet and see how YOU react to the changes. Once you find what works, go with it. If you want an in depth study and explanation, go to a sports nutritionist. The internet is a great source of information, but there is A LOT to be said for experimentation and doing it yourself. I think you'll find that most sucessfull bodybuilders/powerlifters/athletes have used the trail and error method very effectively. That is how they got to where they are. They experimented, took risks, strayed from the norm and found what worked for THEM. That is what you have to do with lifting, diet, and life. What works for one person will not always work for another. Take a risk, experiment with yourself, then let everyone know the results.

Also, when people respond with answers you dont like, dont worry about it. There is no need for a smartass answer in return. You asked on a public forum, be ready for whatever comes your way. Just dont respond to those reply's. Focus on the good info thats out there.

Hope this helps, its just my 2 cents...
IRBS

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread was, I do not mean to stir the pot here and bring this back up. Hopefully this thread will go back into the grave.

JMC
10-04-07, 9:40 am
Very well said IRBS

Wasteland
10-04-07, 9:48 am
All too often, we got bogged down on the details and we let them get in the way. Guidelines and recommendations are a good starting point. But that is all they are. The key is to use them, in the beginning, as a baseline. After that, it's all about experience and experimentation. No two people are going to respond exactly the same way to the same stimuli. See what works and doesn't work. If it doesn't work, tweak it. Keep tweaking until it works. Soon, you'll find what meal plan, how many grams of protein per sitting, whatever, works best for you. It's really so simple and basic, but at the same time, I can see how daunting it seems when you're starting out. People want simple, clear cut answers. Truth is, they often don't exist.

Upstatebuilder07
10-04-07, 11:13 am
" #4 You can digest only a certain amount of protein per meal.Somewhere along the way, the idea that a body can handle no more than 30 g of protein per sitting wedged its way into nutrition circles. That’s an old wives’ tale. Do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger grew on 30 g of protein every three hours, the equivalent of eating only four or five ounces of chicken at each meal? Think again. Protein digestibility and the amount your body can handle per meal is tied to how much you weigh and how hard you train. The more you weigh, the more you need; the harder you train, the more you need. In turn, the more you need, the more you’ll be able to digest, absorb and assimilate. A 200-pound male will, in general, need more protein than a 160-pounder and should be able to digest more per meal. Digestibility is also linked to the amount of protein you consume on a regular basis. The more protein you eat regularly, the better your body becomes at digesting large protein meals. "

http://www.flexonline.com/nutr/61

good call and good post

Tampa-Boy
03-05-08, 5:35 pm
How much protein can your body take at one sitting? Is 60g ok, or is that a bit much.
Let me make it simpler I have to consume 4000cal a day, 400g of protein, 400g of carbs, and a 100g of fat (how many meals should I eat a day to reach this goal)

Geek
03-05-08, 5:44 pm
tiny put up something about this in his 'ask tiny' thread....

basically he was saying that that whole 'limit of protein use' in your body is crap. basically, due to the ability of the body to process proteins differently that 'rule' is shit....

prowrestler
03-05-08, 8:31 pm

exactly!!!!!!!!! the bigger you are, the morey you will NEED. so your body will NEED to absorb and use this amout of protein. just multiply your weight by 2 and divide by 6 and you will see how much each meal should contain.

prowrestler
03-05-08, 8:33 pm
I hope no one takes offense to this, but if you do, oh well...

You guys are worrying WAY to much about little crap. Are you bulking or cutting? If you are bulking then eat like there is no tommorrow...if you are cutting, you will be eating less. The way to lose weight is by calorie reduction and the types of calories they are, but we all know this. This aint freakin rocket science here guys. If you eat 80g of protien in one meal and you weigh 200lbs, yeah, youve probably overdone it. If you eat 20g of protien, youve underdone it. Find a happy medium and see how YOUR body responds to it. I shoot for 50g of protien in one meal and I weigh 255lbs, but I know how much I need based on what I have done over time and the results I have gotten.

The way that my body responds to different types of food is completely different than the way other people's body responds. You have to play with your diet and see how YOU react to the changes. Once you find what works, go with it. If you want an in depth study and explanation, go to a sports nutritionist. The internet is a great source of information, but there is A LOT to be said for experimentation and doing it yourself. I think you'll find that most sucessfull bodybuilders/powerlifters/athletes have used the trail and error method very effectively. That is how they got to where they are. They experimented, took risks, strayed from the norm and found what worked for THEM. That is what you have to do with lifting, diet, and life. What works for one person will not always work for another. Take a risk, experiment with yourself, then let everyone know the results.

Also, when people respond with answers you dont like, dont worry about it. There is no need for a smartass answer in return. You asked on a public forum, be ready for whatever comes your way. Just dont respond to those reply's. Focus on the good info thats out there.

Hope this helps, its just my 2 cents...
IRBS

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread was, I do not mean to stir the pot here and bring this back up. Hopefully this thread will go back into the grave.

well said man. whoops, guess i un buried it by posting!

hardcoregue
03-14-08, 3:00 am
I think 30-45g a meal will be enough for begining,after that increase your proteins for 5 g per meal...and continue as you get your mass..

Gazzara
03-14-08, 6:29 am
Here's some protein info that I put together in a summary of various sources:

30 grams of protein is probably the maximum that you can absorb at one time, so don't waste it. You can always have more later. It is more important to keep you protein/nitrogen levels adequate throughout the day, rather than in surges. Critics will claim that extra protein will just turn to fat. It's not that simple and it would contradict the thoroughly doccumented fat loss of the high-protein Atkins diet.

After digestion and breakdown of protein, the various free amino acids can be activated for muscle synthesis by their specific enzymes plus one of the energizing phosphate compounds - either ATP [adenosine triphosphate] or AMP [adenosine monophosphate].

If not needed for muscle synthesis, the process of deamination in the liver will remove nitrogen from the amino acid turning it into a keto-acid which makes it available for other body functions. These keto-acids can be either glycogenic [carbohydrate forming] or ketogenic [fat forming]. The majority of amino acids, if not used for muscle or other body protein synthesis, become glycogenic.

So, if your consume 40 grams of a "quick" protein like whey, and your body can only use 30 grams for muscle and other body protein synthesis at that particular time, some of the "extra" grams of protein can be turned into carbs by your body which will then convert to glucose. If you are on a high-protien / low-carb diet, you probably could use some glucose to refill the glycogen stores in your liver and muscles, which means that it probably would not spike your insulin or be stored as body fat.

A big complaint against high-protein diets [Atkins] is that you do not have enough glucose. The same critics claim that the small amount of possible protein derived glucose will make you fat. Which is it? An extra 10 grams of protein, that possibly will be converted through a complex process into glucose, cannot be compared to a bagel that has 51 grams of high-glycemic carbs that convert directly to glucose.

And my conclusion:
Obviously meat is going to digest much slower than protein powder the same whay that broccoli will digest slower than white bread. It seems to me that getting your protein requirements from 100 grams of whey isolate in one meal would be like getting your carbs requirements from 5 slices of white bread in one meal. One goal of protein intake is to keep your nitrogen levels from dropping just as carb intake is best when it keeps your glucose level reasonably constant. So unless you just finished a hard workout, I don't think there is much benefit to spiking your nitrogen [protein] levels or your glucose [and insulin] levels.

BrotherInArms
04-11-08, 12:58 am
If this topic has been posted before, please move it.

I've stumbled upon a myriad of answers in doing research and asking nutritionists about just how much protein is too much.

Now, I know it varies from one body to the next, but how much is simply too much for a person lifting five days a week (195 @ 5'11")?

Is it 35-40 or a little closer to 55?

RenegadeRows
04-11-08, 1:02 am
bulking or cutting.... anywhere from 1-2g per body pound. Spaced out 2.5 - 3 hours apart. Anything above 2 and you will shit it out (for your stats anyway)

ANewBreed
04-11-08, 2:20 am
yeah man the answer varies depending on the person u talk to...a very credible scientific study has it somewhere like .6 per KG of BW for muscle growth. But in my opinion, this is the very end of the spectrum. I believe you should consume AT LEAST 1 gram per lb of body weight.

Now as for absorption rate...a 180lb man is different than a 220 lb man. Someone whos weighs 180 might only be able to assimilate 30-40 grams of protein per 2-3 hours, however, a 220 lb man may be at 50-60g per 2-3 hours.

sanga
04-11-08, 2:24 am
Personally I lean to the 2g per lb bodyweight. Divide that between 6-8 meals a day.

rbh84
04-11-08, 5:43 pm
Personally I lean to the 2g per lb bodyweight. Divide that between 6-8 meals a day.

(x) grams per pound of muscle or muscle and fat? Why would one want to take (x) grams of protien towards body fat %. Should it be only towards the amount of muscle you actually have?

intoodeep25
04-11-08, 6:07 pm
simple...eat enough that you grow, when you stop growin eat more

Joseb
04-11-08, 7:57 pm
intoodeep has got it right. there isnt a set formula for how many grams of protein a person needs. as for me, i started out with the 2g protein per LBM formula and now my protein intake is TOTALLY different from then. you just gotta tweak it til it works, then tweak it again once it stops

intoodeep25
04-11-08, 8:13 pm
exactly, its constant change..ive thought i had my diet perfect too many times to remember, but there are always tweaks to be made along to way..play with it and when it stops working play with it again

palchod
04-16-08, 6:19 pm
Does anybody know how many grams of protein one can ingest in one sitting??

SQUAT or DIE!
04-16-08, 6:25 pm
i think it depends on your size...

i dont eat more than 50g at one time..

pmug0000
04-16-08, 6:43 pm
This question has been posted about 75 times, and there has never been a definitive answer. Your best bet is to figure out your own daily protein requirements, and divide it up relatively evenly between 6-8 meals throughout the day.

SQUAT or DIE!
04-16-08, 6:44 pm
pmug's got it prety much perfect.. i wish i would have thought of that..

pmug0000
04-16-08, 6:46 pm
pmug's got it prety much perfect.. i wish i would have thought of that..

LOL you can use that answer the next time this question comes up (which it surely will).

SQUAT or DIE!
04-16-08, 6:47 pm
YES!..

jeff00z28
04-16-08, 6:48 pm
depends. in the morning if i eat a lot of protein and carbs then i end up in the bathroom losing it all. but not too long after i workout ive had 80 grams in a meal before, not including my pwo shake i had before that

Tork
04-16-08, 8:04 pm
To each individual person it is different. The most that I ingest in one sitting is between 30 and 40, usually never more than that. I am on a Cut and I eat about 10 times a day. That is why. It also depends upon your comfort, body type, and bulk or Cut. Your call bro, what you feel comfortable with, just remember 1g to 1.5g per pound of body weight for protein intake.

John-TNS
04-16-08, 8:11 pm
i think it depends on your size...

i dont eat more than 50g at one time..

My rule of thumb as well.....

bovat
09-05-08, 2:47 pm
so i just read that the body can only assimilate 30 g of protein a meal, and most bb eat more then 30g a meal, so ya...whats the deal with that lol

VishGT2
09-05-08, 2:55 pm
where did you hear this nonsense?

don't trip over it. just eat like you have been. i'd say just don't go over like 75g pro in one meal, cuz then the rest will either be pissed out or turned to fat

bovat
09-05-08, 2:58 pm
brother i thought the same thing, but i read it from this brian urlacher training thing, and it was from the guy coaching him through lifting and running and eating, i looked at brian urlacher so i could get a sense of what other football players are doing.

simpleguy
09-05-08, 3:46 pm
whoever makes such statements is out of his mind... why?

say our fat Joe is sitting on his couch all day long... even 20g of protein per sitting won't be needed for muscle repair

but then what about an elite athlete training 5 hours a day? do you think he won't assimilate more then 30g of protein per meal?

so you can clearly see there's no such thing as the magic number, whether it's 30, 40 or 50... adjust your protein intake taking into account your lean mass weight, level of activity, how much/hard you train and so on...

mritter3
09-05-08, 3:49 pm
maybe too much for the normal people but we are not normal people so we need the extra protein to repair the damage we do to our bodies at the gym day in and day out

IRBS
09-05-08, 3:49 pm
who cares, just eat......

Aaron590
09-05-08, 4:27 pm
so i just read that the body can only assimilate 30 g of protein a meal, and most bb eat more then 30g a meal, so ya...whats the deal with that lol
ha, I wish, if that was the case, I wouldnt have to eat so much damn chicken...

haha, thats what Im talkin about :D

adidas
09-05-08, 5:59 pm

ask your self this.

what is a meal? and how long is this period from (time to time)? how long does "protein" take to digest? how BioAvailable is the protein source? how much of the protein is being used for muscle building and how much is being use for the plethora of other roles it plays in the human body?

as you can see there are a ton of variables to take into account in this case...

bovat
09-05-08, 6:37 pm
ask your self this.

what is a meal? and how long is this period from (time to time)? how long does "protein" take to digest? how BioAvailable is the protein source? how much of the protein is being used for muscle building and how much is being use for the plethora of other roles it plays in the human body?

i dont wanna, ouch my brain.

ralf_snake
09-05-08, 6:46 pm
With the 3 main meals (small meals not taken in) i take Real Gains, is that exeeding the amount of protein a meal?

Giant Killer
09-05-08, 7:18 pm
Fuck that.

Pound your protein, and I mean pound it. Every BODY is different and no guru can claim 2g/lb bodyweight is good or bad.

What do you think would happen if you took in even 2.5/lb? Try it, maybe you'll start rapidly accumulating muscle mass...

Get a massive amount of protein in and then fill up with carbs or fats.

Drink a large amount of water to help filter excess through the kidneys.

Grow.

LuvsThePain
09-05-08, 7:25 pm
Like everyone's said thusfar, do what works for you. Experiment with your protein intake and see what optimizes your growth.

LTP

NumeroUno
09-05-08, 7:52 pm
Your intestines where your proteins are absorbed is long and the rate of digestion is different for everyone. Thirty grams a protein a meal for six meals is only 180g. You think Victor, Arnold, Dexter, Dennis and all the other greats get by on 180g a day? It is a silly unproven idea that your body can only absorb 30. Maybe if you're three years old.

-NumeroUno

SQUAT or DIE!
09-05-08, 11:43 pm
i take between 40-75g a meal...... like GK said POUND IT!!!!

prafull
09-05-08, 11:57 pm
Every Body Is Different, Good Nutrition Is Universal.

Dingo
09-06-08, 12:07 am
eg. my dinner tonight. 2 whole eggs, 3 whites, plus 3/4 a chicken breast, plus 3-4oz ground beef. (meat omelet) with onions and bell peppers.
i washed it down with water, then 10 mins later had a whey protein shake, aprox 40gs with 2 uniliver tabs.
im not sure of the protein content, but its well over 30gs

T o m m Y
09-06-08, 7:33 pm

x2!!

Renji007
09-06-08, 8:37 pm
A person whom utterly destroys there body's muscle structure in order to let it rebuild and expand most defiantly NEEDS protein and can most defiantly take in more than 30 grams a meal.

Now if you were to go for lets say....70 or 80 then you would have a problem. But I don't believe many would do this without knowing they could. So just pound back the food, relax, and grow bro.

CatKelly
09-15-08, 9:35 pm
Sup all just wanted to know about how much protein per meal ( 6 meals) would be enough to bulk up. I weigh about 155 and I hear the body can only absorb something like 35g per meal? This was on bb.com though and everyone saying it was roughly my weight so I figured I'd ask hear for some real advice. Peace

SQUAT or DIE!
09-15-08, 9:43 pm
man i take in between 40 an 80 a meal......

just eat it!!!

pmug0000
09-15-08, 9:53 pm
man i take in between 40 an 80 a meal......

just eat it!!!

There are about 5000000 threads on this topic and that's the best answer there.

sanga
09-16-08, 2:42 am
Depends on bodyweight, goals etc, as mentioned do a search mate.

ironshaolin
09-16-08, 8:07 am
If there's one thing I've learned....its not to listen to bodybuilding.com. Although they do have some good info over there, the majority of what they say is somewhat bogus. Remember, they sponsor pro's and supplement companies, and therefore try to write articles based on what will appeal. I don't care what you're taking, someone your weight is not going to benefit from following Jay Cutler's super chest blast routine.

That being said, I believe for ANYONE who wants to gain muscle, they MUST take in about 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. I like to go up around 2 on workout days, and keep it about 1.5 for off days. That being said, shoot for anywhere from 232-310 grams of protein daily. Divide that by 6 and you get...anywhere from 38-51 grams of protein per meal. To round things off, I'd say just aim for 40-50. Yes, I know they say your body won't absorb the extra, but I'd rather have too much and crap it out then too little and not grow.

A great example? Look at Dante's theories, the founder of DC. He makes tons of guys huge, based on a super-high protein diet. He's claimed to take a large bodybuilder who wasn't gaining, dispite all their "extra" supplements, made them cut down their "special" stuff in half, and double their protein intake and got them growing again.

Gunz1
09-16-08, 9:50 am
If there's one thing I've learned....its not to listen to bodybuilding.com. Although they do have some good info over there, the majority of what they say is somewhat bogus. Remember, they sponsor pro's and supplement companies, and therefore try to write articles based on what will appeal. I don't care what you're taking, someone your weight is not going to benefit from following Jay Cutler's super chest blast routine.

That being said, I believe for ANYONE who wants to gain muscle, they MUST take in about 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. I like to go up around 2 on workout days, and keep it about 1.5 for off days. That being said, shoot for anywhere from 232-310 grams of protein daily. Divide that by 6 and you get...anywhere from 38-51 grams of protein per meal. To round things off, I'd say just aim for 40-50. Yes, I know they say your body won't absorb the extra, but I'd rather have too much and crap it out then too little and not grow.

A great example? Look at Dante's theories, the founder of DC. He makes tons of guys huge, based on a super-high protein diet. He's claimed to take a large bodybuilder who wasn't gaining, dispite all their "extra" supplements, made them cut down their "special" stuff in half, and double their protein intake and got them growing again.

great post brother!!! agree 100% with everything your saying... take home message 2 grams per lb roughly 310 grams a day for you divided by 6 and pow theres your answer

CatKelly
09-16-08, 9:53 pm
Thanks alot guys, better to take in extra than not enough =p

InkdMuscle
09-17-08, 5:52 pm
for me. I try to get about a min of 30+ grams of protein per meal. but that is not including the snacks that have the lil amounts and my 3 shakes a day i take.

Jormungand
10-29-08, 10:47 pm
How much protein does the body take in at one sitting before it starts to waste it? I heard something like 25-30g at one sitting? Is that close or is that off? Any one know?

I'm 6'3 180 if that matters. (And growing...)

P.S. I tried the search function first but couldn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks!

zanderfever
10-29-08, 10:55 pm
It all depends on the person. Some guys only need 30 grams of protein in a sitting while some guys like to have 80. Judging from your size, i'd say you need calories more than anything else. Just try to get at least 200 grams of protein at least in your day and you should be fine for the protein.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-29-08, 11:01 pm
like Z said depends... BUT i say just eat it anyway.. it aint gonna kill ya, 30 grams or 100 grams just eat it..

J Wong
10-29-08, 11:29 pm
like Z said depends... BUT i say just eat it anyway.. it aint gonna kill ya, 30 grams or 100 grams just eat it..

x2!!!

simpleguy
10-30-08, 7:05 am
P.S. I tried the search function first but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I will sound like a dick, but this is pretty unlikely, I think this question has been asked at least 50-100 times or so... it's true though that the words sometimes differ, but I found the 'maybe something more specific' part of the search function to be very useful, like searching only in thread titles and so on

sanga
10-30-08, 7:09 am
Someones sick granny who sits watching the TV all day long might only need 30g protein a day but you as a bodybuilder training ya arse off will need much much more.

1.5g - 2g per pound bodyweight IMO.

Bodybuilders can assimulate a lot more than 30g per feeding.

simpleguy
10-30-08, 7:12 am
Someones sick granny who sits watching the TV all day long might only need 30g protein a day but you as a bodybuilder training ya arse off will need much much more.

and this is why nobody can answer that question exactly... because it matters a lot on your lbm, training style/volume, general activities, metabolism, genetics and other factors

machineman
10-30-08, 7:47 am
I have personally found that I have been able to increase the amount of protein I can consume in a single meal...I have on several occasions had close to 80g per meal....I subscribe to the 1.5-2g per pound bodyweight.....that iw aht works for me.....you really need to start experimenting and see where you get the best gains.....there is no cut and dried gauranteed formula.....

Jormungand
10-30-08, 7:52 am
When I searched I used the words: "protien" "one" "sitting" and absolutly nothing relevent came up. Maybe I don't know how to use search, but I tried it and couldn't find what I was looking for. So I posted.

As for protien intake, we're supposed to spread our protien intake throughout the day and this is because your body can only take in, digest, and use so much protien in one sitting, correct? So then my question would be (if it is answerable, maybe this depends as well which now I am thinking it will), but how much time does it take the body to take the protien and break it down and use it before you can start feeding yourself more? For example, lets just say the body can take 30 grams of protien in a 2 hour period. Thats just an example but is what I am kind of asking.

I am wondering if 50 grams per sitting will be too much or just right. Thats what my plan is. Combined with my shake and food, 50 per sitting will lead to 200 per day since I eat four meals.

Thoughts? Thanks guys. And sorry for the novice-ness...

sanga
10-30-08, 9:07 am
What you need to do is work out how much protein and other macros your body needs to gain, lose or maintain for the diet you will be on, then say its 300g protein you need as you wish to gain some size, all you do is divide meals, in my case 6 meals=50g per meal.

sanga
10-30-08, 9:07 am
and this is why nobody can answer that question exactly... because it matters a lot on your lbm, training style/volume, general activities, metabolism, genetics and other factors

Spot on, good post.

mdh84
10-30-08, 9:30 am
When I searched I used the words: "protien" "one" "sitting" and absolutly nothing relevent came up. Maybe I don't know how to use search, but I tried it and couldn't find what I was looking for. So I posted.

As for protien intake, we're supposed to spread our protien intake throughout the day and this is because your body can only take in, digest, and use so much protien in one sitting, correct? So then my question would be (if it is answerable, maybe this depends as well which now I am thinking it will), but how much time does it take the body to take the protien and break it down and use it before you can start feeding yourself more? For example, lets just say the body can take 30 grams of protien in a 2 hour period. Thats just an example but is what I am kind of asking.

I am wondering if 50 grams per sitting will be too much or just right. Thats what my plan is. Combined with my shake and food, 50 per sitting will lead to 200 per day since I eat four meals.

Thoughts? Thanks guys. And sorry for the novice-ness...

I read somewhere that your body can use about 20-30 grams at a time and everything else would not be utilized. While this may or may not be true, I would suggest adding another meal or 2 and eating more frequently. If you want to stick with 200g/day, eat 5 meals with 40g or 6 with 35g. Like other have said, the extra protein isn't a bad thing and it's calories, so eat as much as you need to in order to reach your goals. Good luck.

Aggression
10-30-08, 9:52 am
I've heard you can only take in 50g/day, I've heard you can only digest 30g/meal, and a whole bunch of other crap. To me, it depends on the person. I usually eat about 40-45g protein/meal, at a total of 4-5 meals per day, along with 2-3 shakes, totaling 50-60g/shake. Depending on the day and foods, I get anywhere from 300-350g protein/day.

Big Wides
10-30-08, 10:13 am

Had to quote this......

Jormungand
10-30-08, 11:20 am
Good post/quote.

I think I was just worried about how much is actually used (after digestion) in the body before it becomes waste and wasted. I don't want to waste protein. Protein is expensive and I want to make sure I eat/drink it efficiently. But as these guys said it depends, so now I have to go play a guessing game to see where I am at. I was aiming at 50 per meal. 5 meals a day.

Aggression
10-30-08, 4:49 pm
Just eat up and see what happens. If you're growing and not making pit-stops in the bathroom after every meal, then you're good to go. Start at a certain amount, and work up from there.

Factory
10-30-08, 5:00 pm
warning: This is a little off-topic

I was reading a post on the Forvm a little while ago, about 3 groups of people, Sumo-wrestlers, Powerlifters, and Bodybuilders, and they took the Lean Muscle Mass of these groups of people and divided it by their height. SUMOS came out on top. Obviously it has something to do with them being 500+lbs, but all I'm saying is that they eat up rediculously and gain a lot of LMM, without lifting! Food is anabolic. Eating up really adds a ton of size, If your bulking, eat as much as you can!

Personally I eat about 45g of protein a meal, and I feel like I'm goanna puke half the time when I'm almost done eating, Eat as much as you can as often as you can IMO.

simpleguy
12-28-08, 6:44 pm
thought I'd bump this thread

warning: This is a little off-topic

I was reading a post on the Forvm a little while ago, about 3 groups of people, Sumo-wrestlers, Powerlifters, and Bodybuilders, and they took the Lean Muscle Mass of these groups of people and divided it by their height. SUMOS came out on top. Obviously it has something to do with them being 500+lbs, but all I'm saying is that they eat up rediculously and gain a lot of LMM, without lifting! Food is anabolic. Eating up really adds a ton of size, If your bulking, eat as much as you can!

LOL but our goals are not to become sumos, we wanna have as much lean mass as possible, but not carrying too much lard... and how do you know sumos don't lift? personally I don't know it, but I don't see why they wouldn't, they need strength in their sport

pedraza
12-29-08, 12:48 pm
i once saw something on tv once about sumos and they have some prity intense workouts of their own.

but back on the sub. i think it would depend on your body size. i try and stay around 60grm per meal and that seems to work for me

simpleguy
12-29-08, 3:33 pm
i once saw something on tv once about sumos and they have some prity intense workouts of their own.

but back on the sub. i think it would depend on your body size. i try and stay around 60grm per meal and that seems to work for me

that's cool if it works for you

personally I don't see why one would keep protein too high when bulking, but to each his own

prowrestler
12-29-08, 3:51 pm
i can absorb a million grams in a meal

i just cant eat that amount though so i stick with 50-60

simpleguy
12-29-08, 4:07 pm
i can absorb a million grams in a meal

i just cant eat that amount though so i stick with 50-60

lol; but seriously, you can't... had to say it

GJN5002
12-29-08, 4:54 pm
i dont worry about it because if Im going ot overeat any of my macros and not worry, it will be protein

prowrestler
12-29-08, 5:04 pm
lol; but seriously, you can't... had to say it

im 500,000 pounds?

NPRamirez
12-29-08, 5:44 pm
I would say ingest no more than ~325 grams of protein, assuming your weight is average (200ish). There has to be some truth to the "myth" that consuming a huge abundance of protein can harm your liver, even if you counter it with large amounts of water/nutrients. I can't imagine your body can efficiently use more than 325 grams at a weight around 200 lbs anyways. I could be wrong but it is just my opinion. I know 300 grams at my current weight (190) is forcing me to grow rapidly.

!NPR!

simpleguy
12-30-08, 1:43 pm
I would say ingest no more than ~325 grams of protein, assuming your weight is average (200ish). There has to be some truth to the "myth" that consuming a huge abundance of protein can harm your liver, even if you counter it with large amounts of water/nutrients. I can't imagine your body can efficiently use more than 325 grams at a weight around 200 lbs anyways. I could be wrong but it is just my opinion. I know 300 grams at my current weight (190) is forcing me to grow rapidly.

!NPR!

I think almost the same as you... I don't mean that the body can't absorb a lot of protein... it's just not needed for muscle repair... I can't give an accurate number of protein needed for repairing damaged muscle fibers, b/c that depends on a load of variables but I think it's a lot lower then what some people take in thinking that 2-3gr of protein per lb will produce more growth then 1-1.5

the benefit of high protein is a great metabolic boost, which is great when looking to shed fat

simpleguy
12-30-08, 1:44 pm
i dont worry about it because if Im going ot overeat any of my macros and not worry, it will be protein

I do agree on that one

prowrestler
12-30-08, 4:35 pm
I do agree on that one

i eat and dont ask questions

pedraza
12-30-08, 4:46 pm
I think almost the same as you... I don't mean that the body can't absorb a lot of protein... it's just not needed for muscle repair... I can't give an accurate number of protein needed for repairing damaged muscle fibers, b/c that depends on a load of variables but I think it's a lot lower then what some people take in thinking that 2-3gr of protein per lb will produce more growth then 1-1.5

the benefit of high protein is a great metabolic boost, which is great when looking to shed fat

back when i looked into it someone told me if you are on a regular traing cycle then use 1.5gr to every 1lb of body weight, if your cutting then use 1gr to 1lb and if you are bulking then do 2gr to every lb of body weight

simpleguy
12-31-08, 3:13 am
back when i looked into it someone told me if you are on a regular traing cycle then use 1.5gr to every 1lb of body weight, if your cutting then use 1gr to 1lb and if you are bulking then do 2gr to every lb of body weight

ok bro more power to you

oneidjack
05-28-10, 12:49 pm
I was reading through a magazine last night and came across an article that stated eating more than about 30gms of protein at one time was a waste because the body can only absorb that much at one time, converting the rest to stored energy..basically fat. The article went on to say to eat smaller meals 4-6 times a day. Following this logic would mean finding the time to eat 8 or 9 meals a day in order to pull in enough protein to fuel any serious growth. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ass to Ankles
05-28-10, 12:57 pm
I was reading through a magazine last night and came across an article that stated eating more than about 30gms of protein at one time was a waste because the body can only absorb that much at one time, converting the rest to stored energy..basically fat. The article went on to say to eat smaller meals 4-6 times a day. Following this logic would mean finding the time to eat 8 or 9 meals a day in order to pull in enough protein to fuel any serious growth. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Everybody is different, period. there is no set amount that is too much, too little, or just right. And youre body doesn't absorb it, its broken down into amino acids.

John_Mora
05-28-10, 2:10 pm
Yo!

Hello brothers,
i take 385g of protein a day, and my body like it like shit. When you do "hard training" you need a lot of protein, all depends on your body...

Tuna, turkey, chicken breast, steak, cheese, white eggs... MMMM... so fucking good!

Punishir
11-24-10, 11:33 am
I dont know if its been posted but I didnt see it. How much protein can be aborbed per hour or every 2 hours I dont want to waste protein and money. Im 5'7" 182 lbs. and Im trying to get to 200lbs + then cut up.So if some 1 can help I would appreciate it. Thx.

Peace

C.Coronato
11-24-10, 11:43 am
You want to shoot to have 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. Its different for everyone, but i would suggest for you at 182 lbs, try to get in somewhere around 300 grams of protein to start. Split that up into 6 meals, which will give you 50 grams of protein each meal, spaced 3 hours apart. You will also need your fats and carbs to grow as well my man.

Punishir
11-24-10, 1:40 pm
Cool I couldnt find my post at first. This is very helpful info. thx. My current intake is roughly 3200 cals., 260 carbs., and 320 protein. Let me know what any 1 thinks.

Supps.
All Universal (Animal) Products.
Pak
Stak
Test
Pump
Nitro
PM
Eaa
Bcaa
WPI
and lots of water.

Carrnage
11-24-10, 4:58 pm
I dont know if its been posted but I didnt see it. How much protein can be aborbed per hour or every 2 hours I dont want to waste protein and money. Im 5'7" 182 lbs. and Im trying to get to 200lbs + then cut up.So if some 1 can help I would appreciate it. Thx.

Peace

How are you doing finnacial wise? Can you afford to eat 300g protein daily? If not dont worry about it, I always tell people that "Do what you gota do", figure out how much you can afford then just work from there. Unless someone is paying you to swoll up then id spend more money on the protein sources, if your just doing this for yourself then I wouldnt worry about it too much, just get in good quality nutrition everyday, clean sources, atleast 4-5 solid meals a day, 3 hours apart, containing around 30-70g protein per meal depending on your mass. And in between meals eat a serving or half a serving of nuts. I myself am not the wealthiest person on the planet, right now I dont have a sponsorship but hopefully soon I will!! Good Luck brother. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

prowrestler
11-24-10, 7:00 pm
Cool I couldnt find my post at first. This is very helpful info. thx. My current intake is roughly 3200 cals., 260 carbs., and 320 protein. Let me know what any 1 thinks.

Supps.
All Universal (Animal) Products.
Pak
Stak
Test
Pump
Nitro
PM
Eaa
Bcaa
WPI
and lots of water.
you take way to many supplements and not enough calories.

Carrnage
11-24-10, 7:05 pm
you take way to many supplements and not enough calories.

Nah his calories are fine, but it really depends on what he can afford, if he can afford to eat more, then shame on him! Eat more meat! lol, but if not hes fine with what hes currently working with.

Punishir
11-24-10, 11:11 pm
I do eat whole foods like steak when I can. Brown rice oat meal a few different kinds of fish chicken veggies and fruits 10-12 eggs with yokes. Some times I may consume more cals. in whole foods aroumd 3400-3500 2-3 times a day, Is there anything Im missing. Thx again. Im just trying to learn and read as much info., but I like getting imfo. from ppl that tried or have more knpwledge im thif area. thx again.

And I do bust my ass at the gym.

Jon
11-24-10, 11:22 pm

proteins only get absorbed in the small intestines unlike Carbs... and when you eat it takes 24-48hrs to go through your whole body.... doesnt get absorbed right when you eat it,, so eat your damn protein and dont worry about it ^^

henrystyrish
11-25-10, 9:56 am
I was wondering about this for some time now - I personally tend to make the meals the day I am learning and waking is rich in protein, and less worry about my intake over the weekend and non-training days. I have no idea if this is supported by science itself.

gi4arata
11-25-10, 1:35 pm
I was reading through a magazine last night and came across an article that stated eating more than about 30gms of protein at one time was a waste because the body can only absorb that much at one time, converting the rest to stored energy..basically fat.
I can stand behid that there is certain amount of protein used for muscle repair and anything above that is stored as fat, I've personally tried that

Jon
11-25-10, 2:24 pm
I can stand behid that there is certain amount of protein used for muscle repair and anything above that is stored as fat, I've personally tried that

Protein intake is not converted into fat... the excess is shitted out... its been proven

N. Motta
11-25-10, 2:51 pm
In reply to the title, I'm going to push the envelope of how much protein I can absorb today haha.

Machine
11-25-10, 4:06 pm
Athletes would do well to worry about some others issues ahead of total protein consumed per feeding:

1. Frequency of feeding - it is wiser to make certain that you have SOME protein per every two waking hours.

2. Timing of feedings - It is wiser to make certain that your feeding times are as close to the same time each day as possible.

3. Total calories consumed per meal - I would consider total calories consumed per meal, as well as daily totals ahead of all other nutritional factors because the plain truth is that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Good Luck

MACHINE

prowrestler
11-26-10, 12:24 am
Nah his calories are fine, but it really depends on what he can afford, if he can afford to eat more, then shame on him! Eat more meat! lol, but if not hes fine with what hes currently working with.

hes trying to get up to 200lbs and he is 18. metabolism is gonna kill him, id deffinatly prefer to see him at 4000 cals of good food

Punishir
11-26-10, 12:47 am
hes trying to get up to 200lbs and he is 18. metabolism is gonna kill him, id deffinatly prefer to see him at 4000 cals of good food

Im 33 next week. When I was 18 I weighed about 145lbs. hope this sheds some light.

CoolFrog
11-26-10, 2:10 pm
Now i know there are a lot of pussies out there. I just want to klear one thing up and i dont want to hurt any feelings. There are 2 kinds of cheaters, and i know most of the people here are cheaters. They cheat in the gym and what not and they cork their spot buddies spin. Smack that jarjar.. The socend kind of cheating is meal cheaters. I am prototype cheater 2 and i have to ask what everyones favorite cheat food is. My is nutella made with the goodness of hazzelnuts and skim milk for protien

ronaldoyesher
11-27-10, 6:15 am
It depends on body size and genetic make up. Typically an average person can absorb 25-30 grams per sitting. Make sure you are consuming whole food proteins as well as quality chemical free whey protein products.

1skinnyassedrunt
11-30-10, 1:24 pm
See this is where I can get confused, my trainer at the gym tells me I need to graze on protein every few hours, have some carbs with it or some fat, a friend of mine that is a perso trainer tells ALL his clients you need 1g of protein per kg of body weight so id only need 10g of protein a meal, which i think is tiny.

C.Coronato
11-30-10, 1:28 pm
See this is where I can get confused, my trainer at the gym tells me I need to graze on protein every few hours, have some carbs with it or some fat, a friend of mine that is a perso trainer tells ALL his clients you need 1g of protein per kg of body weight so id only need 10g of protein a meal, which i think is tiny.

You are asking too many people, my man. Everyone has a different perspective on things. A personal trainer who is there simply to be healthy will tell you one thing, where another personal trainer who wants to build muscle will tell you something else, and still a bodybuilder will tell you something else.

I think its safe to say, that most people here try to get in at least 1gram of protein per lb of body weight. According to a nutritionist that would be wrong, as they say one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass .. which would be far less .. Regardless, 10 grams of protein per meal is entirely too little.

1skinnyassedrunt
11-30-10, 1:32 pm
I try and shoot for @ least 6oz of protein per meal, sometimes 8oz, in the morning i eat 3 egg whites and 3 whole eggs. I stick with eggs, lean beef, fish fillets and chicken fillets.

brayanfraser
12-06-10, 8:32 am
I think twice about the need to influence the movement of 40-50g protein. Think of the children and puppies, you can save on gas whey proteins.

gollumcaprio
12-07-10, 6:43 pm
We all know that we need at least 1 gram of protein per pound to maintain but if we want to grow and with the workouts then we need more amino acids to grow and repair that muscle tissue.So keep the protein coming every 2-3 hours and drink lot of water a day about 1.5 to 2 gallons to keep it all flowing to the muscles and our body.

MRmichael.hooker
02-22-13, 9:39 am
So the general thought is you should have X amount grams of protein per lb. .5, 1, 1.5, 2, etc per lb of muscle. This has been the general rule of thumb as long as I've been following exercise, weight lifting, bodybuilding, etc. Most diets seem to be based off this. A lot of guys in here do it. A lot of guys in gyms do it. General thinking is the body can only digest so many grams of protein a day without wasting it or w/e. What's been on my mind lately with that (and i thought could start a decent discussion) is how is that even possible? A 175lb bodybuilder's kidneys are infereior to someone like Cutler only because he's 280lbs? Why can someone who is bigger handle more grams of protein a day? Just because someone has more muscle than someone, has nothing to do with the body's ability to digest protein. Thoughts?

awayoflife
02-22-13, 10:07 am
I don’t think it’s about the ability to digest it but more about how much does the body need to repair the muscle or how much can your body utilize… So the kidneys can process 600g of protein even if you are 180 but your muscles don’t use all of it and that’s why you piss what is not used. At least this is my take on the subject, I can be wrong.