PDA

View Full Version : German Volume Training (GVT) & German Body Composition GBC

Cyrus The Virus
01-23-07, 1:53 am
Just wanted to know if any one has used German Volume Training and if you have seen good results from it? I just started using this method this week.

TARGET
01-23-07, 3:22 am
When using this program or any other, you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form. Here are a few more guidelines to ensure optimal progress:

Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue. (Interestingly enough, you might find you get stronger again during the eighth and ninth sets. This is because of a short-term neural adaptation.) Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.

Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 4-0-2 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift for two seconds. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3-0-2 tempo.

Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out; squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.

Training Frequency: Because this is such an intense program, it'll take you longer to recover. In fact, if you're familiar with the writings of Peter Sisco and John Little, you'll find that the average "Power Factor Rating" of the 10-sets method is about 8 billion. Consequently, one training session every four to five days per body part is plenty.

Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4% to 5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolonging techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping

dyskee
05-21-07, 6:11 pm
hey guys,
i was wondering if any of you used this method of training also known as 10sets of 10 reps so i want to know if anyone tried it because i was cutting and i had to stop goin to the gym because of my exams and iam coming back to the gym tomorrow so i will warm up for the end of the week and then use the german volume training, also during my stay at home i gained some of the fat that i lost so can i apply this method while cutting or what should i do?

Maccabee
05-21-07, 8:37 pm
I tried it a while back it was crazy and tough. I was doing like pull ups for 10 sets of 10. I kept doing this program until I was able to do 10 sets for 10. It came to a point where I was doing like 20-30 pull ups straight. Its a great strength builder. Thanks for the reminder, I think I am going to do it again. Peace

lightattheend
05-21-07, 8:46 pm
ive used germanvolume training before for about 4 or 5 weeks. yes it is real tough, and worked well for me to put on a little size, but depending on your recovery abilities it may be too many reps/sets for cutting. While cutting I usually go with lower reps to keep strength without destroying too much muscle.

Brute Strength
05-21-07, 9:51 pm
Yep they all hit it on the nail...hard as hell but will get you size and yea it all depends on your recovery...if you can't recover welll than don't do all 10 sets.

dominate77
05-22-07, 12:03 am
how many excercises per body part?

dyskee
05-22-07, 9:35 am
2 excercises a mass builder and a shaping one , here is a sample program that i will use:

DAY 1

Exercises

Chest
Dumbell Bench Press 10 10
Dumbell Flyes 3 10-15
Shoulders
Barbell Shoulder Press 10 10
Seated Side Lateral Raises 3 10-15
Calves
Standing Calf Raises 10 10
Seated Calf Raises 10 10

DAY 2 - OFF
DAY 3
Exercises Sets Reps
Back
Bent-Over Barbell Rows 10 10
Standing Straight Arm Pulldowns 3 10-15
Hamstrings
Deadlifts 10 10
Lying Leg Curls 3 10-15
Abs
Hanging Leg Raises 10 10
Crunches 10 10

DAY 4 - OFF
DAY 5
Exercises Sets Reps
Quads
Barbell Squats 10 10
Leg Extensions 3 10-15
Biceps
Barbell Curls 3 10-12
Alternating Dumbell Curls 3 10-12
Triceps
Close Grip Bench Press 3 10-12
Cable Pressdowns 3 10-12

DAY 6 - OFF
DAY 7 - REPEAT

G Diesel
05-22-07, 10:25 am
I like the concept, as is the case in power bodybuilding, it really beats the shit out of the most critical and effective exercises. GVT looks like a solid strategy for size and strength, especially if you are using challenging weights. Peace, G

Maccabee
05-22-07, 12:32 pm
2 excercises a mass builder and a shaping one , here is a sample program that i will use:

DAY 1

Exercises

Chest
Dumbell Bench Press 10 10
Dumbell Flyes 3 10-15
Shoulders
Barbell Shoulder Press 10 10
Seated Side Lateral Raises 3 10-15
Calves
Standing Calf Raises 10 10
Seated Calf Raises 10 10

DAY 2 - OFF
DAY 3
Exercises Sets Reps
Back
Bent-Over Barbell Rows 10 10
Standing Straight Arm Pulldowns 3 10-15
Hamstrings
Deadlifts 10 10
Lying Leg Curls 3 10-15
Abs
Hanging Leg Raises 10 10
Crunches 10 10

DAY 4 - OFF
DAY 5
Exercises Sets Reps
Quads
Barbell Squats 10 10
Leg Extensions 3 10-15
Biceps
Barbell Curls 3 10-12
Alternating Dumbell Curls 3 10-12
Triceps
Close Grip Bench Press 3 10-12
Cable Pressdowns 3 10-12

DAY 6 - OFF
DAY 7 - REPEAT

Dont forget about the tempo bro. good luck

dyskee
05-22-07, 12:47 pm
thx guys

Cyrus The Virus
05-22-07, 3:01 pm
Thanks for the input.

NEW B
05-22-07, 4:57 pm
what is the tempo? i have never tried this but would like to

dyskee
05-22-07, 6:12 pm
ur welcome bros and new b if u have read the post u would have discovered what the tempo is!!!!!

Kev90
08-06-07, 10:16 pm
Sup Fellas, just a quick question. I'm also trying the gvt and liking it so far but i was wondering if i'm supposed to this kind of training only once every few weeks or can I continue it for about 3 weeks?

Maccabee
08-06-07, 10:41 pm
I would do it as often as you want only...and only if your getting results doing it. I tried German Volume Training it was the shit. I got so strong off of it.

Kev90
08-06-07, 10:42 pm
Damn, bro......that's good to hear. How long you do it for?

Maccabee
08-06-07, 10:59 pm
I think it was like a program for 10 or 14 weeks... I dont remember. But it was realy intense. It had like two compound exercises 10 sets of 10. Then 2 isolations like 4 sets of 8-12. Something like that. It was pretty cool.

Maccabee
08-06-07, 10:59 pm
I remember I had to do pull ups 10 sets of 10. At first i couldnt get it. But I kept doing the program until I was able to get 10 for 10.

Miller54
09-25-07, 10:52 pm
BB.com has an article on German Volume Training (GVT). Since I really don't care what most of those tools have to say on their forums, I want to know what my fellow animals think about it. Post away.

Thanks
mills

Terranova1340
01-31-08, 2:32 pm
I have been doing some reading on Charles Poliquin and I find some of the training methods he describes to be very interesting. I have read about German Volume Training, and most recently I found and article in regards to German Body Composition. If you don't know what it is I will give a brief summary of it,

The idea is to do 6 to 9 exercises per training session in groups of three at specfic rep ammounts and specific ammounts of rest in between each exercise.

I was wondering if any one has tried this? I was also wondering if any one has tried this and tied it then into GVT (German Volume Training)

GBC seems like a nice change up however it seems like GBC might cause GVT to not be as effective if you were to go from GBC to GVT....... thats kinda a mouthful. The reason I say that is because to me it seems that both GBC and GVT work on the "shock" principal which is you shock your muscles into growing. GBC seems like it would shock your muscles more then GVT but perhaps they are different enough that this isn't the case. Any insight on this would be great thanks.

Dozer
03-26-08, 10:35 pm
Couldn't really find anything in the search, so I've got a question on GVT. The system is built around supersets of two exercises, like bench and rows, or squats and leg curls--is the superset part important? For a lot of the days, I won't be able to superset between two exercises, as the pieces of equipment I'd need would be on opposite sides of the gym, and someone would take my spot. I'm especially worried about leg day--squats and leg curls--the squat rack WILL be taken if I leave it, and I don't want that to happen.

So, couldn't I just do the ten sets of one exercises, maybe with less rest, and then do the ten of another?

Thanks for any input.

Big Wides
03-26-08, 10:37 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1085&highlight=GVT

check out this thread here bro

lespaul59
03-27-08, 12:11 am
Let me see if I understand what I'm reading right. So your basicly doing a superset of 10 sets and 10 reps each set. Basicly bench press and flys 10x10 right? I might have to give this a try when I have to cut back from 4 day a week to three. And do you pick one weight and use it all 10 set or do you go up in weight every set?

Dozer
03-27-08, 12:38 am
Let me see if I understand what I'm reading right. So your basicly doing a superset of 10 sets and 10 reps each set. Basicly bench press and flys 10x10 right? I might have to give this a try when I have to cut back from 4 day a week to three. And do you pick one weight and use it all 10 set or do you go up in weight every set?

Well, it wouldn't be flyes, it'd be a back movement, like rows or chins. You do one set of ten on the bench, one set rowing, and then rest, and repeat nine more times. After the two big lifts are done, you move to three sets of an isolation move (or a different exercise), like flyes or pulldowns. So it'd look like this:

Bench--10x10
Rows--10x10
Those two are supersetted
Flyes--3x12
Chins--3x12
Those two are supersetted.

Dozer
03-27-08, 12:39 am
And you use the same weight for all the sets. If you can complete the 10x10, then you move up in weight (about 5%) for the next time.

Dozer
03-27-08, 12:40 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1085&highlight=GVT

check out this thread here bro

Thanks Big Wides!

BryanSmash!
03-27-08, 3:12 am
If you are a natural lifter the GVT may be too much for you. It would be very easy to overtrain on this program.

Dozer
03-27-08, 3:43 am
If you are a natural lifter the GVT may be too much for you. It would be very easy to overtrain on this program.

I am a natural lifter, actually. I'm planning on giving myself at least three rest days during the week. I felt pretty good on my first day of it, and actually did less work than a normal day for me. Normally I'll do 16 sets for back, 15 for legs, and 13 for chest, all very heavy with minimal rest (60 seconds on average). Do you think, with that in mind, that it would still be so easy for me to overtrain? I'm using it because my current (or it was as of last week, I JUST started GVT) program had me in a plateau.

BryanSmash!
03-27-08, 1:23 pm
Only by listening to your own body will you be able to determine if you are overtraining.It sounds like you have already recognized the signs and therefore have switched your previous program to this one, so if those symptoms return, then you will be know right away if you are overtraining on this program.
If you are splitting your bodypart days, it looks like you were following a good '20 sets or less per workout' rule, which is good for natural lifters. If the GVT program is something that you really want to do, you should do it. Give it an honest effort. If it works for, then keep doing it. If not, try something else.
Instead of getting on a whole new program though, here are some plateau busters that you can easily fit into any routine:
Partials.
21's.
1.5's.
Drop sets.
Burns. (or pulses, X-reps, etc)
Or simply vary your rep range.

I would stay away from supersets if you are having problems with people stealing your equipment.

Dozer
03-27-08, 3:09 pm
Only by listening to your own body will you be able to determine if you are overtraining.It sounds like you have already recognized the signs and therefore have switched your previous program to this one, so if those symptoms return, then you will be know right away if you are overtraining on this program.
If you are splitting your bodypart days, it looks like you were following a good '20 sets or less per workout' rule, which is good for natural lifters. If the GVT program is something that you really want to do, you should do it. Give it an honest effort. If it works for, then keep doing it. If not, try something else.
Instead of getting on a whole new program though, here are some plateau busters that you can easily fit into any routine:
Partials.
21's.
1.5's.
Drop sets.
Burns. (or pulses, X-reps, etc)
Or simply vary your rep range.

I would stay away from supersets if you are having problems with people stealing your equipment.

Yeah, I'm going to do the exercises one at a time. I already had forced reps, negatives, x-reps, and drop sets in my old routine--I think I might have overdone it--I think the simplicity of GVT will help me grow finally. The thing is, the program calls for a workout every 5 days, but I'm repeating the cycle every seven, to allow for more recovery time.

BryanSmash!
03-28-08, 2:12 am
That is good. Ample recovery time is necessary. You can only grow while at rest.

zanderfever
03-28-08, 2:38 am
you could also just change the exercises. Go between bench press and barbell rows by doing both in a power rack, squats and stiff legged deadlifts, mess around, make it work

Chin
03-28-08, 2:04 pm
lol GVT... sounds above and beyond anything I could do... and you accuse me of "Volume" training eh Dozer...

Chin

stronghold
03-28-08, 4:12 pm
GVT is good. Make sure you are eating and sleeping a lot. The 10x10 squat day is a harrowing experience if you are pushing yourself (many people think they are but arent).

Gman32
05-26-08, 7:48 am
Gday Boys, what are your thoughts on German Volume Training, I know you guys have all tried it, I love the simplicity, what are your thoughts???

Cheers
Greg @ Bondi

dyskee
05-26-08, 7:56 am
did it before for 4 weeks with a heavy diet and mstack added , i added 7 pounds to my frame and lost bf too.

IronWilson
05-26-08, 12:51 pm
I did some german volume training with the exercises I actually could do when I was injured. It was pretty helpful.

Littlefry
05-26-08, 2:46 pm
I just finished a cycle of OVT - Optimized Volume Training, which is a hybrid program develope from GVT which worked great for me

Gman32
05-26-08, 9:15 pm
So what's the run down for OVT?

waslate
05-26-08, 10:22 pm
I am going to do it as soon as I finish my cut in two weeks. Going to hit it with lots of MStak and food. I've heard good things. Here is the program I am going to do.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=658759

Littlefry
05-27-08, 8:38 am
gman ill post the rundown of OVT when I get home from work

waslate
06-13-08, 2:45 pm
I just finished day 1 of Advanced GVT

to say the least, I can hardly move haha....

I'll post my results after my 2 month go at it

waslate
08-22-08, 1:01 pm
I am finally finished with my stint of advanced german volume training.

I was very impressed with this program, strength and weight wise.

Here is the rundown on my newfound strength:
Bench Press:
Start -- 225 10 sets, 5 reps
End -- 260 10 sets, 5 reps
Ass to Grass (literally) Squats:
Start -- 250 10 sets, 5 reps
End -- 295 10 sets, 5 reps
Deadlift
Start -- 345 10 sets, 5 reps
End -- 395 10 sets, 5 reps
Barbell Curl
Start --110 10 sets, 5 reps
End -- 130 10 sets, 5 reps

Starting Weight, 195.5 lbs (morning weight after pissing)
Ending weight, 210 (morning weight after pissing) I put on a very minimal amount of body fat as I just upped my calories about 500 above maintenance.

What supps I used you may ask?
Shock/Storm, Big Ants workout drink, Whey, WMS, 2 cycles of M Stak

This is a GREAT program to run for a change of pace from your usual routine. It definatly shocks the muscles into growing! If you guys have any questions just ask me. I put a link of the routine I followed earlier in the thread.

waslate
08-22-08, 3:29 pm
GVT

Buh-Buh
03-27-09, 5:17 pm
I have been hearing alot about this method lately, and all the posts are at least 6 months old. Any success stories here? I have done DC in the past, how does this compare?

rocket1
03-29-09, 9:06 pm
Waslate (or anyone else) I would like to know if this will increase your 1RM.

waslate
03-31-09, 1:56 pm
Waslate (or anyone else) I would like to know if this will increase your 1RM.

yes

GLHF
04-16-09, 10:03 pm
I've done GVT Phrase 1, 4weeks.
If you have ur mind set on it, be ready for some mental pain. You really have to concentrate the entire day before ur workout. It is hard, finishing a decline db bench set of 10 and jumping up for set of 10 of chin ups...The worst is the leg day. After the first 2 5day cycles it gets easier (it did for me). Your body gets used to the method of training and you don't get as sore as when you started.
Ones you start noticing THIS ^ its time to move on. Go on to the Second Phrase for 2 weeks. And then go to the advanced training for up to 10 5day cycles. It is very hard to stall on this kind of program simply because the advanced training setup is 10x5/4/3/2 and it changes all the time. Exercises change as well every 5 day cycle.

Nayanlion
05-01-10, 10:29 am
Hey guys

I was thinking of starting the german volume training I just wanted to get some feedback has anybody tryed it and had sucess with it?

Thanks

Irish Muscle
05-01-10, 2:06 pm
I've tried it before and it's brutal. You'll be nice and sore after training with GVT. Go for it...

Robin
05-24-10, 12:08 pm
Sup fellas 8D

It's been a while since the last time.
Been training hard using westside, and for the last 2months it's been heavy weights(madcow - 5x5) and got some nice results and PR's.

Im now in for some hypertrophy workouts and been looking at the GVT program. The program I want to use is: "Advanced German Volume Training by Charles Poliquin" (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/advanced_german_volume_training)

My problem lies with leg workouts - day 2 and 7. The squat rack and the lying leg curls machine is far away from eachother in the gym (in a different room). It takes 20-25 sec. to get there so will this time interval ruin the superset?

Also on day 7 i have to do Farmers walk but the gym doesn't meet the..... "requirements" for this workout. Are there any alternative excersice? Would also like to know an alternative excersice for Glute-ham Raises aswell if there are any?

Any help would be appreciated ;) Thx guys

Cheers Robin

Robin
05-25-10, 2:30 pm
anyone??

I'd really like to get started with GVT so need to get things straight before i hit the gym.

Robin

Aggression
05-25-10, 2:39 pm
20-25 seconds won't be an issue, brother. Not at all.

What do you mean by saying it won't meet the 'requirements'?

Sho
05-25-10, 3:17 pm
If its anything like my gym there is absolutely no room to walk in a straight line long enough for an effective farmers walk set.

Robin
05-26-10, 1:24 pm
Thx for the reply. I hope theres not gonna be anybody using the leggcurls when I'm there.
Guess I'll have to run between squat and legcurls , though it might look awkward at the 7th superset.

Regarding the "meeting the "requirements"", the gym I'm in isn't great. It lacks alot when it comes down to machine's space and the staff seriuosly needs a new understanding about workouts. They have spread the machines out. Before, all the leg related equpment was stacked in the same room, but now it scattered all over the place (annoying). And they lack alot on equipment so I can't do any of the nice exercises like: farmers walk, gluteham raises,... I bring alot of my own stuff when I train. But still, can't carry my own gym down there.

By the way. What cardio would you do during GVT? And would swimming 3xweek do it?

Robin

Aggression
05-26-10, 2:25 pm
I'm not really familiar with GVT, but I don't think you need a specific type of cardio for it. Do whatever works for you. Swimming burns a ton of calories, so depending on your goals, you may want to take it easy there. Don't burn too many calories and risk losing muscle.

Robin
05-26-10, 3:08 pm
Thx brow

Ya, I think I drop the cardio during this cycle, and bring it back with the next one.
Just got done planing the workout, so I'm heading down the gym tommorow to do a max test.

Robin

Robin
06-07-10, 10:27 am
Hey Aniamls

I have been running the GVT for 9 days know (done both workout 1 and 2) I have been useing the 60% of my 1RM and from what I have read, then I should be dragging my body around. But the only workout where I was sore was leg 1 when squating, the otherones havent "touch" me. I do the program as outlined I keep my restperiods as descriped and do the moves in the tempo as outlined aswell.

So I'm wondering if I just should increase the whiegt with 10kg, and see how it goes this next woukout? I have done 10x10 as mentioed so I should increase the wheigth im lifting, but Im courios off how much so that I get the optimal out of my training.

I eat a ton of stuff aday, take my shakes and sleep at least 8-10 hours.
But after some of the training sessions I dont feel like I have the "right" to take the shake and eat all that food because I dont fell like I have been hit hard enough. ( I HATE that feeling)

Hope some of you experianced animals that have been there would share some of your knowlegde, on how I should aproch this issue.

Robin

Aggression
06-07-10, 10:36 am
I'm not very familiar with GVT. But with any training routine/program, its all about intensity. If you're not feeling it with the weight, go heavier. If the weight is heavy, yet you're not feeling 'worked', then up the intensity; less rest, more reps, etc.

This may not fall within the guidelines/rules of GVT, but in normal cases, there are plenty of techniques to get it up; super sets, drop sets, less rest, more reps, etc.

Robin
06-07-10, 3:20 pm
Hey

The GVT is doing to exercises in a superset with 10x10 each. ex. squat and legcurl.

the rest is good in the middle towards the ending so the only parameter I think I really can change has to be the wheigth.

thx for the reply

jeff00z28
06-07-10, 11:49 pm
i would try doing a normal routine

Robin
06-08-10, 5:10 am
What do you mean by normal routine?

I plan on doing the GVT finsih and then do some westside again.

MrMonday
06-08-10, 9:31 am
i would try doing a normal routine

I would echo what jeff is saying here.

I have never seen anyone achieve great results from "GVT". You can't beat a traditional bodybuilding routine.

Robin
06-08-10, 12:04 pm
Mr.monday - that sounds interresting, From what I have heard it is a very rewarding program. What would you then recommend as a normal bodybuilder routine?

Still looking for some inputs on how to make the German more "intense", I have just trained arms today an I increased the bar with 10 kg's got quite "burned"/worrenout after the supersets.

Joe J
06-08-10, 12:23 pm
Robin, just click on the 'training' tab on the top of your page and select one of those split routines that work best for you. They really are top notch regimes.

Robin
06-08-10, 1:33 pm
Joe I have seen the splits and tried one some time ago, its okay. I will look at it when Im in my next bulking cycle.

Mr. monday, would you please elaborate on not getting great results? (how much muscle are we talking?)

Agressin thx, for trying to help me out with my question about how to adjust the GVT. Im going to increase the wheigth and, cutting some resttime off.

Robin

MrMonday
06-09-10, 1:31 pm
Joe I have seen the splits and tried one some time ago, its okay. I will look at it when Im in my next bulking cycle.

Mr. monday, would you please elaborate on not getting great results? (how much muscle are we talking?)

Agressin thx, for trying to help me out with my question about how to adjust the GVT. Im going to increase the wheigth and, cutting some resttime off.

Robin

I don't have anything to elaborate on, just try to find one person who has gone from skinny to big using the program. I haven't been able to. To me, that says a lot.

jeff00z28
06-09-10, 6:27 pm
I don't have anything to elaborate on, just try to find one person who has gone from skinny to big using the program. I haven't been able to. To me, that says a lot.

That is my reasoning behind a lot of things that i say. there was a thread about a bodybuilder kid who wanted to do olympic lifts to get bigger. I said it was a bad idea. People will always argue because they saw some random person doing whatever it was and is jacked then it "must work", and I can't argue with that because they usually are jacked due to genetics regardless of how they trained, kinda like dexter jackson doing 1/4 squats aka weighted courtseys in his videos and winning mr olympia. Dexter jackson was a bad example since hes a bodybuilder who trains like a bodybuilder but I just used him to emphasize genetics being at the top now matter what you are on or how hard you train. But my argument for all of these non-bodybuilding specific training programs will always be if they trained like a bodybuilder and that was their focus they would most likely be MORE jacked, and for newbies its better to go with the majority.

theharjmann
06-10-10, 6:10 am
Hey

The GVT is doing to exercises in a superset with 10x10 each. ex. squat and legcurl.

the rest is good in the middle towards the ending so the only parameter I think I really can change has to be the wheigth.

thx for the reply

GVT is NOT supersets.

I have done shit ton of research on GVT and I am employing it now. Its awesome. TARGET has given an excellent explanation on page 1 of this thread. To add, the main aim of GVT is to target a maximal amount of motor neurones in the muscle fibres. This stimulates a lot of growth.

The weight you should use is 60% of you're 1 rep max. I personally feel that any more than 90 seconds rest is too much...if you can't handle it then that means you are an unfit fatty and need to get your fat ass on the treadmill. This program isn't about trying to move a huge amount of weight with a big ugly belly. Its about hypertrophy

great post TARGET!

theharjmann
06-10-10, 6:19 am
I would echo what jeff is saying here.

I have never seen anyone achieve great results from "GVT". You can't beat a traditional bodybuilding routine.

what are you on about?!?!

That's the biggest assumption ever. You've never done it and by he sounds of it u done know many people have tried it. Arnold used a LOT of GVT when he was in Austria putting on most of his bulk. And he was a bodybuilder. In fact, he won mr Olympia 7 times.... And that is the world cup of bodybuilding...

Robin
06-10-10, 7:08 am
GVT is NOT supersets.

I have done shit ton of research on GVT and I am employing it now. Its awesome. TARGET has given an excellent explanation on page 1 of this thread. To add, the main aim of GVT is to target a maximal amount of motor neurones in the muscle fibres. This stimulates a lot of growth.

The weight you should use is 60% of you're 1 rep max. I personally feel that any more than 90 seconds rest is too much...if you can't handle it then that means you are an unfit fatty and need to get your fat ass on the treadmill. This program isn't about trying to move a huge amount of weight with a big ugly belly. Its about hypertrophy

great post TARGET!

Im not sure I understand your post right, but as I understand it, you are saying that when training GVT you shouldn't do supersets? as in your own link to the first post by TARGET he says you can do it like a superset, and thats the same info I have found on different forums. So im not quite sure I know what you are meaning by that.

Is the second part referring to me?, I use 60% of 1RM but its to light. So I add more wheigt to the next lift. And yeah offcouse this program is all about hypertrophy ? if one needed strength then I would go back to MADCOW (nice program). again im not sure what you are trying to say..

Have I understood you correctly?

And I agree that Bodybuilders have used it, and alot of people have got some really nice gains during this program. And I hope I will aswell.

Robin

theharjmann
06-10-10, 9:02 am
Im not sure I understand your post right, but as I understand it, you are saying that when training GVT you shouldn't do supersets? as in your own link to the first post by TARGET he says you can do it like a superset, and thats the same info I have found on different forums. So im not quite sure I know what you are meaning by that.

Is the second part referring to me?, I use 60% of 1RM but its to light. So I add more wheigt to the next lift. And yeah offcouse this program is all about hypertrophy ? if one needed strength then I would go back to MADCOW (nice program). again im not sure what you are trying to say..

Have I understood you correctly?

And I agree that Bodybuilders have used it, and alot of people have got some really nice gains during this program. And I hope I will aswell.

Robin

No mate I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. I was just saying that you shouldn't need to rest much longer than 90 seconds inbetween sets.

As for the supersets, GVT is a program that incorporates one compound movement per bodypart predominantly. Although there would be nothing wrong with doing some supersets occasionally to add variety. Be careful not to overtrain though.

Robin
06-10-10, 2:02 pm
Okay, I rest 90-100 sec.

I will take train smart and lookout for any overtraining signs. Thanks for the help.-

Filosi
06-28-10, 10:11 pm
What are your thoughts on German Volume Training (GVT) or in other words 10x10 training?

jeff00z28
06-29-10, 12:57 am
a guy at my gym swears by 10x10 but hes on a ton of gear. and the doctor told him to stop all the fuckin squats

mcbeast
06-29-10, 2:11 am
My thoughts? Pain, and not the good kind. Unless you've got some amazing recovery rate, or are using then I can't see how someone would benefit from this too much. Kinda reminds me how back in the day arnold trained 2 a days. Every muscle like 2x a week. Keep it simple. I have done a 10x10 workout for the hell of it, but have never followed the program. Try doing 10x10 squats tell me how you feel afterwards, lol.

suicidegripme
06-29-10, 11:38 am
Ive tried 10x10 methods. Not fun IMO. I actually lost strength in a month with this kind of training. If I do run this program again, I think Ill utlize 10 sets of 5 or something like that.

Robin
06-29-10, 1:48 pm
Im currently in the middle og GVT, I like it. But nothing I would do forever. My arms have gained in size, and first time my triceps seem to pop up.
The Squat time isn't that bad. But Im also just doing it with 105 kg at the moment. But the first squat session on this program damm I couldent walk without pain for 6 days!.

But other than that, Its nice doing supersets, but i better like doing a Westside attitude program, and just use GVT approach when hitting a plateu.

Robin