PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo and Elk Meat

Northman
09-25-07, 10:10 pm
I just thought I'd share some information on bison (north american buffalo) and elk. Two species native to north america that are both exceptional sources of low fat protein. This website contains some nutritional information as well as recommended cooking methods. It also looks as if you can order the meat here, but I get mine locally. Take a look around and support whoever you have in your area.

gsb239
09-25-07, 10:42 pm
Yeah I was reading about buffalo meat in a Canadian fitness magazine... can't remember the name. But anyway, equal amount of protein as beef per serving, with much less fat and cholesterol. Some people say it even tastes better than beef according to the mag.

I've been looking for it in my area... not much luck so far.

MDur8
09-25-07, 10:53 pm
I just thought I'd share some information on bison (north american buffalo) and elk. Two species native to north america that are both exceptional sources of low fat protein. This website contains some nutritional information as well as recommended cooking methods. It also looks as if you can order the meat here, but I get mine locally. Take a look around and support whoever you have in your area.

Whats the website bro?

Northman
09-26-07, 6:55 pm
Whats the website bro?

WOW! I feel like an idiot, I forgot to put in the website. Anyways here it is...

http://www.bisoncentral.com/

This website has slightly better cooking directions...

http://www.buybuffalomeat.com/facts.htm

MDur8
09-26-07, 10:22 pm
sweet bro thanks

Northman
09-26-07, 10:24 pm
sweet bro thanks

No problem, have you ever eaten any elk or bison?

MDur8
09-26-07, 10:38 pm
no i havent...i heard the bison is a little sweeter. I also saw the nutrition facts and it looks pretty solid

brnrbr911
09-27-07, 9:48 am
buffalo meat is tasty--it has a beef-like taste to it but not completely, i cant describe exactly how it tastes like. it cooks ridiculously fast. 5-6 mins per side on a 1 inch thick steak. oh, and they say to either cook it with high heat for a short period of time or very low heat for an extended period of time.

Northman
09-27-07, 12:09 pm
buffalo meat is tasty--it has a beef-like taste to it but not completely, i cant describe exactly how it tastes like. it cooks ridiculously fast. 5-6 mins per side on a 1 inch thick steak. oh, and they say to either cook it with high heat for a short period of time or very low heat for an extended period of time.

The key is not to overdo it, or it tastes like overdone liver. I tired it in the microwave once, and still cringe when I think of how it tasted.

4NIM4L2D4
09-27-07, 3:52 pm
man i love bison. it has no antibiotics because they raise em organically without growth hormones. i hav not had elk but want to try that and ostrich which i heard is good plus ive had ostrich jerkey and liked that.buffalo is expensive at whole foods like $20 a lb for buffalo steaks or tri tip but i work at a grocery store and we dont have much rare meats but we do have ground buffalo for $5.49 a lb but when it needs to be used or frozen i buy it at a discount price.

Northman
09-27-07, 10:00 pm
man i love bison. it has no antibiotics because they raise em organically without growth hormones. i hav not had elk but want to try that and ostrich which i heard is good plus ive had ostrich jerkey and liked that.buffalo is expensive at whole foods like $20 a lb for buffalo steaks or tri tip but i work at a grocery store and we dont have much rare meats but we do have ground buffalo for $5.49 a lb but when it needs to be used or frozen i buy it at a discount price.

True, the cost can be prohibitive. I use it as a treat when I bring my own steak to a barbecue so as to not feel deprived when I see people eating all sorts of food I used to enjoy. Helps me to stay on track.

Big Rich
09-28-07, 8:38 am
<--- Loves buffalo burgers

MRmichael.hooker
10-12-10, 6:06 pm
what is your opinion on it? I was looking into it because an 8oz portion is only 248cals, 48g pro, and 4.5g fat. Anyone used bison meat in their diet before? How did you like it?

GC
10-12-10, 6:30 pm
im a part time meat cutter at a local chain, and we get in some bison products which are fantastic. Taste great, low fat and cholesterol content, and has omega 3, 6. We sell ground for 5.99lb. Thats out of my price range for any ground meat. If its reasonably priced i would eat that in place of 90/10 beef any day.

MRmichael.hooker
10-12-10, 7:01 pm
im a part time meat cutter at a local chain, and we get in some bison products which are fantastic. Taste great, low fat and cholesterol content, and has omega 3, 6. We sell ground for 5.99lb. Thats out of my price range for any ground meat. If its reasonably priced i would eat that in place of 90/10 beef any day.

yeah the place I was looking at was $100 for 10lbs. Def. not worth that lol. Maybe i'll look at a local butcher shop

C.Coronato
10-13-10, 9:55 am
Its absolutely great stuff, if you can afford it my man.

Big Wides
10-13-10, 11:14 am
Bison rocks. Eat it up man, nothing but good stuff

Makes a good chili too

FITGYM
10-13-10, 12:04 pm
Bison rocks. Eat it up man, nothing but good stuff

Makes a good chili too

what he said and makes a banging ass burger

bdb1513
10-13-10, 12:15 pm
i can usally pick it up in a pre packaged 1 lb brick at my supermarket. little pricey, but makes great burgers

Upstatebuilder07
10-13-10, 1:09 pm
my supermarket carries it and I had about a lb a day last year everyday. The stuff is shipped in from across the country and I ended up getting sick a few times off of it, so I cut it out of my diet. great nutrition profile though.

mritter3
10-13-10, 1:22 pm
i have used buffalo meat from time to time...whenever it goes on sale at my grocery store i stock up...usually pretty expensive, but the taste to me is out of this world...im a big fan of it.

machineman
10-13-10, 2:03 pm
i have used buffalo meat from time to time...whenever it goes on sale at my grocery store i stock up...usually pretty expensive, but the taste to me is out of this world...im a big fan of it.

Where you getting yours at Matt? I may look into it and see if we can swing it. At least just to try it out.

dannynb
10-13-10, 2:40 pm
Good stuff but like they said a little pricey.

mritter3
10-13-10, 2:41 pm
Where you getting yours at Matt? I may look into it and see if we can swing it. At least just to try it out.

i get mine at Giant Eagle in perrysburg...every once in awhile they got it for cheap...if i see it, ill let ya know.

rev8ball
10-13-10, 2:44 pm
Great stuff.

Here's an awesome recipe for a soup with buffalo:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=29167&highlight=soup

machineman
10-13-10, 2:55 pm
i get mine at Giant Eagle in perrysburg...every once in awhile they got it for cheap...if i see it, ill let ya know.

thanks, bro...appreciate it.

Madcat
10-13-10, 4:40 pm
This is discussed almost monthly in MD, branch eats it year round. Seems to work pretty well for him.

I started a Venison kick last year, and am starting to use more of it in my life now. Hoping that will get rid of some unecessary fats from red meat, as venison, bison, buffalo, all low fat healthy red meat options.

Girevik 69
10-13-10, 6:14 pm
BISON MEAT RULES!!!

That being said, it is admittedly on the pricey side.

Good stuff, though.

Donvio
10-13-10, 11:45 pm
Awesome post. Im in Utah so wild game is pretty easy to find. I got 45 lbs of Elk coming this way this week free!

BamBam
10-20-10, 12:45 pm
I am extremely happy that there is a new place coming to town that is going to sell Bison... def going to be eating there more..

Gonna go hunting here soon to kill a good size deer and hopefully later in the year an elk to have plenty of meat to get BIG on this winter

Donvio
10-20-10, 8:41 pm
Hunting season is growing season! I wish bison wasnt so damn expensive though. Elk and deer work just fine though.