PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder/Delt Pain

TheSolidC
01-23-07, 12:16 pm
i have recently been having trouble with moving my shoulder up and to the side of my body, i experience a rather sharp and annoying pain in the left of my shoulder. I have no idea what it is but i have taken so far 4 days off training and it still feels sore. I did a session of close grip bench presses the other day and thats when it started to get sore. Any ideas on what it could be and what should i do to get it healed quickly.? thanks all

gsb239
01-23-07, 12:22 pm
i have recently been having trouble with moving my shoulder up and to the side of my body, i experience a rather sharp and annoying pain in the left of my shoulder. I have no idea what it is but i have taken so far 4 days off training and it still feels sore. I did a session of close grip bench presses the other day and thats when it started to get sore. Any ideas on what it could be and what should i do to get it healed quickly.? thanks all

I'd get checked out by a doctor, or two just to be safe (opinions vary). Just don't train with it hurting for the time being. Ice it, rest it.

You might have a rotator cuff problem like myself. In which case, you'll probably have to do some physiotherapy.

Arbalest
01-23-07, 1:35 pm
Just as gsb239 mentioned, it could be a rotator cuff. Your symptoms are exactly what I was experiencing when mine were torn.

Goto the dr. before you really mess it up. Thats an injury that you dont just want to "tough it out" because you won't be able to. You might be able to endure the annoying pain, but you'll just be hurting it worse everytime you do something that could injure it further.

BigAnt
01-23-07, 4:27 pm

Without an MRI (with or without contrast) I cannot tell what you did, you are very smart taking time off, do lowers, and you still can train some back-tricep and bicep movements...train smart! Ice and advil for now. Stretch it out AFTER YOU APPLY SOME MOIST HEAT ON IT!

Please make an appointment with an orthopod. and get films taken as soon as possible.

Worst case --tear of labrum or rotator...best case, slight sprain or strain.

We will hope and pary for the sprain-strain.

Just don't do anything that causes pain ok?

E-mail back if you need more info!

Good luck!

Hatred
01-23-07, 4:47 pm
Did you warm up your rotators before every workout where your shoulders were used?

peterpyper
01-23-07, 5:11 pm
ya shoulder problem pain in the ass i get it from time to time,worse was when it hurted for a month when i was 14,but im pretty sure u be allright if u still can move it and it aint killing you,gotta take time off and let it heal than get it stronger

TheSolidC
01-23-07, 11:14 pm
ya shoulder problem pain in the ass i get it from time to time,worse was when it hurted for a month when i was 14,but im pretty sure u be allright if u still can move it and it aint killing you,gotta take time off and let it heal than get it stronger

thanks man and thank you all for your advice, i will continue to ice it and take time off thanks all for your contributions. Godd thing was this morning it feels slightly better and a lot less pain when i move it, so lets hope it gets better cheers.

HAWK
01-23-07, 11:18 pm
There's a big difference between lifting with pain, and lifting injured. The time off could be a blessing in disguise, and it might be just what you need to start growing again. Get that shit checked out, and let the doc tell you what the deal is. We all lift with pain, but lifting injured will definatley set you back more...What is hardcore about being hurt all the time? Get it looked at and fixed quickly and properly, and then get back to growing.

pdiesel
01-23-07, 11:21 pm
possible solutions---rest, rest, rest..damaging your shoulder even more could have you out of the gym for a long time..you can also go see a doctor and get xrays..glucosamine is your last option..i would go with the rest and doctor..

TheSolidC
01-23-07, 11:24 pm
There's a big difference between lifting with pain, and lifting injured. The time off could be a blessing in disguise, and it might be just what you need to start growing again. Get that shit checked out, and let the doc tell you what the deal is. We all lift with pain, but lifting injured will definatley set you back more...What is hardcore about being hurt all the time? Get it looked at and fixed quickly and properly, and then get back to growing.

possible solutions---rest, rest, rest..damaging your shoulder even more could have you out of the gym for a long time..you can also go see a doctor and get xrays..glucosamine is your last option..i would go with the rest and doctor..

thanks again guys, should i still see a doc if my shoulder continues to get better, i dont really want to hear the possible bad news that i wont be able to lift.

stogie622
01-23-07, 11:37 pm
i have a shoulder problem to. mine does not hurt when not lifting only when lifting chest. when i bring the bar down doing bench i get a sharp pain in my left shoulder. anyone else ever get anything like that? any ideas?

Paulie
02-13-07, 2:23 am
Today, when I was working delts I felt a painful, popping sensation in my rear delts during bent over laterals.

It was the third exercise in my routine, following seated overhead dumbbell presses and db side laterals, and I ended up having to stop it the bent over laterals today. I even tried dropping the weight incredibly, so I was only lifting 15lb and it still hurt and popped.

Any recommendations? I've heard BigAnt is the man to ask about these problems.

Cheers for any help.

Nas
02-13-07, 11:18 am
Try some rest, maybe some ice and flexium gel with slow shoulder massage.
Drink plenty of water to clean things up.
if the pain does not go away, see a doc. Shoulders are little b*** that can put u away from the gym for a while if not taken seriously.

donk
02-13-07, 6:47 pm
you should definately rest in bro. hurt the same area on my delt bout 5 months ago and it took me 2 months to recover. of course im not sayin yours is to that point yet. try looking for different exercises that doesnt seem to hurt your delt

Paulie
02-13-07, 6:50 pm
I think what i'll do is change my routine order, working rear delts before side, because i suspect my side laterals are aggravating the shoulder. I'll update the post in a week.

Light_Weight
02-27-07, 2:20 am
Hey guys quick question the other month i began a push/pull system with my buddy and i think i hurt my shoulder but i dont remember when, ne lateral movements hurt pretty bad and i havent done shoulders in about 2 weeks untill yesterday when i tried and i can usually do about 70-80 lbs in dumbell press but 20 made my shoulder kill ne ideas besides seein a doc im at college and i dont have a car so im kinda shit outta luck.

SomeDayI'llBeXL
02-27-07, 4:30 pm
Obviously, the right thing to do would be to see a doctor. I dislocated my right shoulder about a year and a half ago. I didnt have medical insurance back then, so i paid out of my pocket to go see my family doctor. He said not to lift weights for a while. Hmmm, didnt see that one coming. I pretty muched just backed off shouders for a while. I didt some light lat raises a few times a week. And by light I mean 5 and 8 pounders. I iced it every day for about 3 weeks. Slowly my strenght came back. I had it checked out about 2 months ago when i got insurance and it turns out I suffered some slight nerve damage. My advice, see a doc. I didnt and im screwed now, dont make the same mistake I did.

naturalguy
02-27-07, 5:11 pm
It's extremely important to identify the exact injury. Find a way to get to a doctor.

LuvsThePain
02-27-07, 5:58 pm
Since none of us here are physicians of any sort, the best person to see is a doctor brother. Bum a ride off of a buddy or something, but don't hurt yourself any further.

Mr.Totality
02-27-07, 6:08 pm
let me say this, 3 shoulder operations from 20+ dislocations. Find a way to a doctor and an MRI. You need to make sure that all ligaments and tendons are at full strength. With each dislocation or injury they get stretched and hurt. The longer you wait the worse it can get

Light_Weight
02-28-07, 12:26 am
thanks guys i figured thats what was up but its just a depressing thought

hjayss
02-28-07, 2:35 am
My college had a school doctor gave shots and did check ups find out if that is on campus bro hope it is not to bad though.

bchap69
03-17-07, 11:24 pm
yesterday i was doing military press with 275 for 8. asn i brought it down to my traps this sick cracking sound came from my left shoulder. sounded like a tree breaking. need some advice what should i do. did i tear it or just a small pop....help

BIG45s
03-18-07, 9:53 am
I have a "clicking" sound that I have dealt with for years. Once I seriously injured my shoulder but I am thinking it was more of a tendon issue. What is your ROM like? And what is your level of pain? If you tore something, you would not be asking the question; you'd know it.

My general suggestion when someone asks these kinds of question is to tell them the very thing that I hate hearing. Go see the doctor.

If you have full ROM and no pain then it could be nothing more than I shitty sound. My shoulder will occasionally do this while performing military presses. If you determine that all is aok than I'd go at anything shoulder related, whether it be direct or indirect shoulder work, lightly just to test the waters.

Peace

BIG45s

musclealchemist
03-18-07, 1:05 pm
if find your shoulder weak, with no ROM, def go to a doc. Just play it really safe, because you might wind up out of the gym for a long period of time if you dont.

naturalguy
03-18-07, 1:21 pm
Go get it checked out. Do not guess at what might be wrong, you could wind up making it worse.

ironman88
03-18-07, 1:29 pm
yeah deff get that checked out

bchap69
03-18-07, 7:29 pm
since then my shoulder has been sore as hell but i do have full range of motion. i can rotate it good but i dont know if i should train as hard as i have been. thanks for the help fellas.

Anoby
03-18-07, 7:46 pm
wut is ROM?

stumblin54
03-18-07, 7:48 pm
wut is ROM?

Range of Motion.

spartan300
03-18-07, 8:09 pm
yesterday i was doing military press with 275 for 8. asn i brought it down to my traps this sick cracking sound came from my left shoulder. sounded like a tree breaking. need some advice what should i do. did i tear it or just a small pop....help

Why in the world would you be lowering the weight to your traps if you are doing military presses? That "sick" cracking sound could be any number of things but if you ask me I think it is an indicator that you are training above your means and need to modify your work loads. If you are fortunate enough to have avoided serious injury, please heed my advice and make the necessary adjustments so there is no next time!

Fury317
03-18-07, 8:22 pm
hey bro, i had a cracking noise too this past june. went to the doc and it ended up being seperated. its not a huge deal but if its bad enough you might need sugery. keep us posted and good luck.

brewtality
03-19-07, 5:33 am

I heard that same tree cracking sound when i tore my rotator cuff a few years ago. Have it checked.

Mr.Totality
03-19-07, 8:09 am
let me say this as some of the brothers here know my deal, 3 shoulder operations from 27 dislocations combined. Go see a doctor. Trust me, get the MRI so you know if there is an issue and you can treat it. Hell, right now mine hurts with any pressing exercise, but you start to develop ways to train around it.

Big Rich
03-19-07, 8:43 am
Never do heavy military's behind your neck.
Save those for the front and do low weight high rep's for behind the neck.

I have seen many people injure their shoulders doing these!
Too many.

bchap69
03-21-07, 2:46 am
brethren i went to the doctor. he told me that i had torn my bicept extender which goes from forearm to right above the rotator cuff.. it is a bitch but i lifted today and well my chest day sucked lets just put it that way

Malifik
03-21-07, 10:17 am
since you're doing military presses behind the back, i'm gonna bet that was your rotator cuff. if you're still in a lot of pain in a few days, go see a doctor. if you heal up, i'd suggest incorporating some rotator cuff strengthening exercises into your shoulder routine.

oh yeah, NEVER, EVER do military presses or lat pulldowns behind the back. it places a huge amount of stress on the rotator cuff which can lead to some serious injuries.

Edit: didn't see that you went to the doctor already. i'd still say to incorporate some rotator cuff exercises into your shoulder routine (can help to increase you bench press and prevent injury) along with never doing presses or pulldowns behind the back at risk of further and more severe injuries.

Hornets DT #69
04-11-07, 11:47 pm
So as you all know i got a mean case of elbow tendonitis. The good news is its starting to go away. The bad news is that over the past months ive noticed burning in my shoulders after bench and chest workouts. I finally started to research it and am almost positive its tendonitis in my rotator cuff. I have alot of problems getting out of the hole on bench and i cant do dips or DB presses. I have 2 combines and 2 comps in the next 3 weeks and i need to get this fixed. I know Bigant knows alot about this stuff so hopefully he can help me get rid of this!

BigAnt
04-12-07, 12:17 am
So as you all know i got a mean case of elbow tendonitis. The good news is its starting to go away. The bad news is that over the past months ive noticed burning in my shoulders after bench and chest workouts. I finally started to research it and am almost positive its tendonitis in my rotator cuff. I have alot of problems getting out of the hole on bench and i cant do dips or DB presses. I have 2 combines and 2 comps in the next 3 weeks and i need to get this fixed. I know Bigant knows alot about this stuff so hopefully he can help me get rid of this!

I am glad to hear that your elbows are getting better!

**I know you been to various Dr.'s and seen PT's...but to be on the safe side...please have them evaul you to make sure it is just tendonitis...

And if it is....

Tendonitis is from "over use" and rest is key...but in your case, we have to (cheat) our way around this so you can be at your best for your
comps-combines!

We cam still work on lowers and speed, you still need that for the combines, maybe if squats bother you (shoulders in a hyper-extended position) when grabbing the bar, switch to the machine (monster squat) for a while. We want that bench to get strong and have less strain on your cuff.

Cuff exercises..you must do, either with a T-band or T-Tube internal and external rotations and extensions. Do 3 sets each shoulder 25-30 reps, make it burn and do 5 more. Focus more on rear delts-scapula...rear delt
rev pec-dec, seated row on a chest pad machine with a pinch (3/4 of the finishing movement, pause and squeeze your shoulders PINCH them together) db-bb shrugs, seated vertical chest press with a punch (3/4 of the finishing movement, pause, lock your shoulders/elbows and extend them PUNCH forward). Do these 3 sets of 15-20 reps...

Again my famous words..
YOU GOTTA BE IN A PAIN FREE ZONE---
You see, we are strengthening the supporting muscles and also the muscles that attach to the shoulder-rotator cuff. Also great for shoulder stability BOSU ball push ups do 2 sets to failure. Please do this every day for 7-10 days..NO OTHER SHOULDER-CHEST WORK...Still do back-arms, again PAIN FREE!

When you look up exercises online and don't understand them, please let me know, I will help!

You will be fine, I know it is hard, you have to stay positive...and take your anti in flams (advil, animal flex, motrin) Also flax seed oil and evening primrose oil caps are noted to help with some inflammation...Vit. C is also used fot this.

Heat the area up with a Icey hot or Mineral Ice rub, and wear layers to keep heat locked in..Always warm up good and stretch--stretch-S T R E T C H !

Throw ice on it right after training..use the friction massage we talked about with the frozen ice cups!

We have to rest a bit now, so you can be at your best in the future...

STAY STRONG..

WORK ON SPEED DRILLS, AND OTHER COMBINE DRILLS...

Keep your diet healthy with good proteins-carbs and fats and drink your water!

And WHEN you make it to the Pro's for football, you better get me an autographed NFL Jersey from your team!

Hit me up if you need more help!

Ant

Hornets DT #69
04-12-07, 5:25 pm
Thanks Bigant ill start tomorrow!

jonsbsn
09-12-07, 10:19 am
For the first time ever I had a little bit of shoulder pain yesterday during chest day. I've always had little cracks or pops in my left shoulder but no big deal because I could usually warm up and they would disapear, they are also never painful. But after my first warm up set on db press (first exercise), I felt a little pain right where my clavical meets my shoulder. It went away a couple hours after I was done lifting and it wasn't too bad, but is this something I should worry about. Has anyone experienced pain in that location? I wasn't too worried about it so I kept lifting and it didn't bother me DURING the lift, but more when I would rotate my arm between lifts. Sorry if I'm giving too much info, but any help would be appreciated

on a positive note, I PRed on DB flat press. 95lb dbs 3x6reps. Deep and completely unassisted.

cviewmike851
09-12-07, 10:43 am
Any pain that just doesn't quite feel right is something to be of concern in the lifting world. Especially since you were feeling pain in rotating your arm. Here on the forvm we always preach "listen to your body" so if your having some pain bro I would keep an eye on it. maybe next time you do something that involves shoulders lighten it up a little bit and if it still hurts take action from there. Don't let it go and be a hardass and end up messing it up real bad. Do you take animal flex?

ItsSteveBlack
09-12-07, 11:29 am
hey man, read your post and id have to say ive had many shoulder injuries in my time i used to be a wrestler then moved to the sport of bodybuilding. i recently stopped using straight bars on chest days because its not too good for the rotator cuf of the shoulder.. ill go back eventually but i need to give my shoulders a break, for now im on hammer presses and dumbbells.. if the pain gets worse or is still a bother id get it looked at. like the guy above said, anything that hurts cant be good.

eatNlift
11-15-07, 8:02 pm
sup guys i try to go back to doing chin ups but for some reason it really hits my right shoulder bad.i even tried doing half way it still hurts.tried doing straight bar pull down still lotta pain.for some reason right shoulder hits me alot when it come to pulls.i used to do lotta heavy pulls but down to less than half duo to the pain.what can i do to cool down my right shoulder? help me out guys.thanx

Young&Hungry
11-15-07, 8:04 pm
sup guys i try to go back to doing chin ups but for some reason it really hits my right shoulder bad.i even tried doing half way it still hurts.tried doing straight bar pull down still lotta pain.for some reason right shoulder hits me alot when it come to pulls.i used to do lotta heavy pulls but down to less than half duo to the pain.what can i do to cool down my right shoulder? help me out guys.thanx

Stick with neutral grip pullups/pulldowns for a while, they place no stress on the rotator cuff. Plus, they hit the lats much more directly than a wide grip. Do some cuff work before your pressing days to warm your shoulders up, and gradually ease back into the straight bar.

Pizzalamp
11-15-07, 8:51 pm
Stick with neutral grip pullups/pulldowns for a while, they place no stress on the rotator cuff. Plus, they hit the lats much more directly than a wide grip. Do some cuff work before your pressing days to warm your shoulders up, and gradually ease back into the straight bar.

yeah good advice
also when u start doing chins again make sure u go down nice and controlled so u dont stress the shoulder

LHS Monster
11-15-07, 9:28 pm
yea i kindahave the same problem but only its with incline presses my right shoulder just feels like its going to seperate once i get up to 200+ pounds

sanga
01-30-08, 4:00 pm
I have some pain in my front delt from right hooking the heavy bag a hell of a lot before christmas just gone.

I can`t bench press heavy or do dips but I can bench light, its been around 3 months now and although I have no pain at all when resting I get pain when I train heavy pressing movements on chest.

I have iced this up and rested it long and treated it but I just can n ot return to heavy benching.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 5:20 pm
Well if you can still move your arm, there is little chance there is something wrong with your joint. Or so i believe myself.

But what i want to know from you first is: Do your train your 'Rotator Cuffs'?

Cstlfx
01-30-08, 5:21 pm
Do you do rotator cuff warmups? That could help if you're not doing it. If you are, I wouldnt know where to go.

Lunatic001
01-30-08, 5:26 pm
bro, get it checked out with a doctor....lets try to catch the problem before it gets to be something serious. I would say warm up the rotator cuff throughly and start lifting light and go up as you can tolerate it. Ice it for at least 20 mins which will help if there is any swelling. I had the same problem and I actually took almost two months off and started doing presses light until the shoulder felt better. but sometimes it acts up and warmups and a good stretch after working out has been working for me.

my .2 cents,
Lunatic001

spanish.iron
01-30-08, 6:16 pm
From your discription it seems like I have the EXACT same problem. It was a result of me spraining my shoulder from a bad fall on my bike and it not healing very well. I spent a couple months not doing any chest exercises while continuing with everything else... I never felt pain unless I did chest. But I still have a bit of a sharp pain when exerting myself so now I'm not hittin the gym at all. I'm not gunna touch those weights till this thing is fixed. If you find something helpful let me know!

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 6:18 pm
From your discription it seems like I have the EXACT same problem. It was a result of me spraining my shoulder from a bad fall on my bike and it not healing very well. I spent a couple months not doing any chest exercises while continuing with everything else... I never felt pain unless I did chest. But I still have a bit of a sharp pain when exerting myself so now I'm not hittin the gym at all. I'm not gunna touch those weights till this thing is fixed. If you find something helpful let me know!

Oh man thats gotta be a bitch.

sanga
01-31-08, 5:11 am
Thanks for the replies lads.

Yes I warm up with rotator cuff exercises and go light and get heavier and heavier, no swelling or pain after training, just when I press either with bar or d/bells.

Maybe I just need to keep at it with light weights and add slowly but surely with no rush, I just wondered what some of you have done or would do if you couldn`t press, you see I can squat and deadlift heavy but not being able to bench or dip isn`t good but I`ll work round it.

spanish.iron I would still hit the gym, I`d train all other bodyparts if I was you.

hjayss
01-31-08, 5:50 am
I had the same problem...Warming up my cuff and doing joint work helped a lot..also look at your water intake you gotta lubricate those joints...if that is not helping
1.animal flex
2.doctor

sanga
01-31-08, 6:03 am
animal flex, i`ll take a look.

My water intake could be higher too.

sanga
01-31-08, 9:46 am
I was told ny someone in my gym today that ultrasound will work wonders for this problem, any experience in this area anyone?

spanish.iron
01-31-08, 10:06 am
Thanks for the replies lads.

Yes I warm up with rotator cuff exercises and go light and get heavier and heavier, no swelling or pain after training, just when I press either with bar or d/bells.

Maybe I just need to keep at it with light weights and add slowly but surely with no rush, I just wondered what some of you have done or would do if you couldn`t press, you see I can squat and deadlift heavy but not being able to bench or dip isn`t good but I`ll work round it.

spanish.iron I would still hit the gym, I`d train all other bodyparts if I was you.

That's what I've been doin for the past few months and my progress has been minimal. I'm doing this as a last resort. I'm taking a lot of time to do stretching and such though. We'll see where i'm at in a couple months.

firsthorseman97
01-31-08, 10:11 am
I was told ny someone in my gym today that ultrasound will work wonders for this problem, any experience in this area anyone?

Ultra sound is really good. But why keep beating around the bush? Get your ass to a doctor and figure out what's wrong! The sooner you figure it out, the sooner you can get back to normal!

Lunatic001
01-31-08, 10:50 am
Ultra sound is really good. But why keep beating around the bush? Get your ass to a doctor and figure out what's wrong! The sooner you figure it out, the sooner you can get back to normal!

X2

Also, ultra sound worked great for rehab and therapy after my wrist surgery.....but see a doctor bro....

ashnicholls
01-31-08, 4:04 pm
I had similar problems, down to bad form on chest press, seems to have sorted now after some rest, but I still get some pain the day after.

What are good exercises to warm up the rotarty cuff?

As I am just getting stuck into it and hoping for the best and as I say getting sharp pains the day after.

sanga
02-01-08, 3:19 am
Doctor, yeah I`ve got an appointment for Monday Feb 4th, see what he has to say.

Hopefully it will be "Take this letter to outpatients department and get ultrasound" lol

spanish.iron
02-01-08, 3:36 am
Doctor, yeah I`ve got an appointment for Monday Feb 4th, see what he has to say.

Hopefully it will be "Take this letter to outpatients department and get ultrasound" lol

Good luck, man!! Post up how it goes.

sanga
02-01-08, 4:16 am
Will do mate, thanks.

sanga
02-04-08, 8:12 am
Well the Dr told me its a repetition strain caused by overstretching from chest exercises, to stop training upper body and perhaps do a bit of running or cycling for a few months until my shoulder could have time to heal.

I asked about ultrasound, he said he didn`t think it would do much as I would only be going to the gym again anyway.

WTF? I will have to get an expert opinion on this, I have BUPA cover so might be able to get it done that way, in the meantime I have Animal Flex, this may help somewhat

spanish.iron
02-04-08, 8:36 am
Well the Dr told me its a repetition strain caused by overstretching from chest exercises, to stop training upper body and perhaps do a bit of running or cycling for a few months until my shoulder could have time to heal.

I asked about ultrasound, he said he didn`t think it would do much as I would only be going to the gym again anyway.

WTF? I will have to get an expert opinion on this, I have BUPA cover so might be able to get it done that way, in the meantime I have Animal Flex, this may help somewhat

Shitty deal... I bet that's not what you wanted to hear eh "no upper body training for a few months". 2nd opinion sounds like a good idea. I'm takin animal flex as well.

sanga
02-04-08, 8:43 am
To be honest it seems to be a little easier since doing the rotator cuff exercises seen here, a few warm up sets and not going too heavy along with the Flex might do it, see what happens, in the meantime I`ll sort out an appointment with a specialist.

Cheers.

Ter11h
02-04-08, 6:01 pm
I did something similar to my shoulder back in december and the doctor said it was an inner deltiod strain and with 2 weeks off I could continue to wrestle/lift. In my first match back I had to injury default and go back to the doc for an MRI, which revealed I had a torn tendon in my shoulder, lost my whole season and still can't lift. So just be careful and get it healed bro..

houseofpain
02-04-08, 6:05 pm
Get it checked by a doctor. if he says its nothing serious and to to just take it easy, get some Animal Flex. However, this isn't a license to do heavy behind the neck military presses. Keep your injury in mind while your lifting. Be an Animal, not a stupid Animal.

sanga
02-05-08, 3:30 am
Yeah I`ll get a specilist to look at it.

I have just started Animal Flex,

I never do press behind neck or pulldowns behind the neck anyway.

hatebreedXXX69
09-03-08, 8:14 am
hey guys, after lifting heavy weights, i developed a pain in my right shoulder n its in the front delt to be more precise. it has coem to the point where i can't do bar dips as the pain is unbearable. however i dnt feel any discomfort when doing decline pushups. any idea what it might be?

Big Wides
09-03-08, 8:54 am
the only person who can answer what the problem is, is a doctor so please go see one

mritter3
09-03-08, 8:56 am
def. want to see a doctor, he possibly do an mri or ct scan, i would take some time away from the weights to help with the recovery. good luck

loiacanoa
09-03-08, 10:10 am
This area of pain seems to be common among lifters. I'm doing physical therepy as we speak for my left shoulder. Many people I have trained with complain about their shoulders. I also see people on here posting about it. My training now will focus on keeping the shoulders strong as well as the tendons to prevent injury.

hatebreedXXX69
09-03-08, 10:25 am
ah the doctor is useless. he will tell me to stop training for a month or something

Gunz1
09-03-08, 10:27 am
see the doc... wat good is pushing through a mild injury that can prob be cured in a week or two to possibly tear something and be out a few months... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Big Wides
09-03-08, 10:31 am
ah the doctor is useless. he will tell me to stop training for a month or something

you dont know if you dont go.....why screw around with something that can be treated with a week or two off (its not going to kill you), then if you push through it, injure it more then have to go under the knife and miss 6-8 months of training because you didnt want to get something minor checked out because your afraid of missing a couple of weeks. I'd rather miss the weeks than the months

hatebreedXXX69
09-03-08, 10:41 am
true..i'll get it checked out, but after having a feel with it it only hurts when i do dips. when i do pushups it's fine. I'm taking this week off and enxt week when i start lifting again, i won't go too heavy on the shoulders, maybe stay away from bar dips for a month or so. I'll just do decline pushups this week so keep my body in shape and that should rehabilitate my shoulder as well.

basketcase
09-03-08, 1:43 pm
My doctor actually did tell me to stop pushing it so hard. Nothing more, nothing less. If I didn't want it to hurt, stop training.

I need a new doctor!

joe-yamma
09-03-08, 2:29 pm
great advice from Big Wides.

it only hurts when you do dips now, but you keep pushing it and pretty soon you can barely brush your teeth.
trust me bro, i've been there.
got to the point where "working around" my injury limited me so much that i had to get something done.

also, guys, if you truly feel you have a sports-related injury, see your family dr and then go see A SPECIALIST. an orthopaedic surgeon.
most family dr's are going to give you the "rest it and see what happens" or "quit training so hard" approach.

an ortho is going to test your range of motion and modalities and perhaps order x-rays and/or and MRI.
they'll probably go with physical therapy if there is a deficiency or problem. PT helps for a lot of people.

if you have more questions, hit up Big Ant... he is very knowledgable.

BigAnt
09-03-08, 8:31 pm
hey guys, after lifting heavy weights, i developed a pain in my right shoulder n its in the front delt to be more precise. it has coem to the point where i can't do bar dips as the pain is unbearable. however i dnt feel any discomfort when doing decline pushups. any idea what it might be?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of good advice, see the Dr., get films, I work in PT...Please seek out help from a professional...in the mean time...ice it 3x a day with a bag of frozen peas 20 minutes on...It would be nice if you take 5-7 days off from the gym..OFF TRAINING EVERYTHING !except cardip for endorphine release...But I know, I was young also..you MIGHT not do that...So train--if you will not take off---in a pain free zone, use lighter weights-higer reps--machine-cables-dumbbels -- you can control better than a barbell for pain tolerance and point specific...Maybe try a Icy Hot-Mineral Ice rub prior with pleanty of very very light warms ups...Animal Flex is also good. But all in all - the Dr will be your best bet...Hit me up and keep me up to date with your progress, wishing you a pain free shoulder soon!

GJN5002
09-03-08, 9:53 pm
pain free zone is the best advice next to seeing a dr. Ive had shoulder problems for a year and i just stopped overhead pressing and flys which kille dmy shoulder. Its healed decently on it own and im starting to do moderate weight presses again now. Make sure to warm up those shoulders!

A-Rod
09-03-08, 10:59 pm
Hey, question for ya. Do you warm up your rotator cuffs? I highly recommend warming up your rotator cuffs for every work out, EVERY WORKOUT!!

Seriously, it makes a world of difference. Especially during chest and shoulder days.

jeff00z28
09-04-08, 12:22 am
i got it and took about 14 months off flat bench and only did flat dumbell bench. my shoulder is fine now

gymEvo
09-04-08, 8:37 pm
Sounds like you have something very similar to wut i have...it might be a shoulder seperation... I cant do dips and and bench heavy without feeling a sting there...Look up AC joint injury...Maybe it might not be the front deltoid at all.

Dedicated
09-04-08, 9:18 pm
I had the same thing happening to me at the beginning of the summer, and decided to keep working through it.

I was doing my last set of dumbell presses and on the sixth rep my shoulder just gave out, and then the pain was unbearable from then on. Went to the doc and turns out I started with just a sprain, but I tore some cartilage that day working out. So now I'm out for 6 months with shoulder surgery.

Get it checked bro.

Desert Muscle
09-05-08, 3:50 pm
Dude... same thing happened to me last week. Took a couple days off, went back today and did arms... started feelin it again doing CG bench press. I had my medic take a look at it, and forget what he called it, will post later when I get with him about it, but basically told me to take it easy for a while. I agree, definitely nothing to mess with, and time away from the weights is all thats gonna make it easier. And I know its a killer not bein able to lift. Im gonna hit legs tomorrow, and take another couple days off, really to me the only way to heal this up.

Someone mentioned rotator cuff warmups (dont mean to hijack thread)... can ya give a little more insight into this? Definitely want to start doing those... thanks.

bovat
09-06-08, 6:26 pm
ive had shoulder problems for two years, one is rotator cuff and the other is shoulder girdle, i just do rotator cuff exercises before i lift, and very good form, somedays tho you just have to lift trough the pain i guess. I mean i had therapy for my shoulder for some months, yet everyone once in a while it will hurt.

Carpe Diem P.T
09-06-08, 9:23 pm

you are right, the doctor is useless and will tell u to stop training. He will however put you on to a specialist and thats what you need.

GC
05-29-09, 7:54 am
Going to the orthopedic doc today. Been getting pain in the posterior region of the shoulder when doing flat flys, and shoulder presses. No pain in daily activities.The pain seems to lessen when i employ scapular retraction. Hoping its nothing major. Anyone else had/have this issue?

naturalguy
05-29-09, 9:02 am
Wait to hear what the doc says but it sounds like it may have something to do with your rotator cuff.

C.Coronato
05-29-09, 9:54 am
Could be too much stress from heavy movements. How old are you? Ever try a joint compound, like Flex? I used to get pains in my wrists while benching, or strait bar curling. They are virtually gone, and im only 23.

BLOWNBY
05-29-09, 10:37 am
I have similiar pains. Daily no issues. Hurts on military press, Incline press & squat. Back middle of right shoulder. My pain has come about just recently from heavy squats and LOW placement of bar on my back now! I used to have it higher on my traps and no shoulder issue.

I am trying to work through it. Let me know what doc says.

GC
05-29-09, 10:48 am
Blownby, thats exactly the same shit i have.

heres the verdict...
basically there is some instability within the rotator cuff and possibly a minor tear to the labrum. Our joints are not keeping up with the torture we put on our muscles. i actually can still lift providing that form is flawless.
He prescribed some strengthening exercises for the cuff and advised not to bench past 90 degrees, and to really make use of scapular retraction. Also, i have to lay off any overhead shoulder pressing movements for a while...i have to construct a new routine now, if you have any suggestions feel free to leave them.

BTW. Im buying flex RIGHT now.

BLOWNBY
05-29-09, 10:54 am
Cool, i have severly limited my shoulder presses to light (like 95# barbell & 35# dumbells to avoid much pain.) I have gone wide grip and flase grip on squat to help that a lot too!

Flat bench I have no issues, just incline, might be to the fact that i can tuck my shoulder blades and arch very well onflat bench??

Is icing gonna help this kind of injury or not?

GC
05-29-09, 11:04 am
Its actually the opposite for me, incline is fine, flat is discomforting so i am using dumbells with a slightly supinated grip.

Icing specifically will not help. Heating will help blood circulation to the joint to speed the repair of any damage. Im going to use the shower trick where you let ice cold water run on it for a while, then hot water, and back and forth a few times for thirty seconds each.

BLOWNBY
05-29-09, 11:05 am
Cool..Thanks,

Definitly gonna put the Red Hot to it before lifts!

Maccabee
05-30-09, 10:13 pm
Dude go to tmuscle.com. In the SEARCH type in Shoulder Savers by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson.

Three series articles follow everything they say and your shoulders will feel awesome.

Razor
05-30-09, 10:27 pm
Funny a thread like this pops up. I hurt my shoulder about 2 years back when i was spotting for a guy benching 300lbs. Well the fuckin'g thing slipped on his hands and i caught it for him. Needless to say my day was done. After that could hardly do shoulders or go heavy on chest day. Took a few months of being away from that to really heal. Now every so often the pain is there when i bench (i don't bench anymore since i did that) or do some shoulder exercises but i never really prevents me from going heavy. It like flares up once in a while then leaves. I should go get it checked out but like i said it's not extreme pain just more of an annoyance.

GC
05-31-09, 2:50 pm
yes. it is very annoying. I checked out that article. very very informative, some advice he mentions is so obvious we over think it. Even my doc said to me, as a bodybuilder he knows my training is not going to halt. So he suggested just modifying my routine until i am healed. If anyone reading this has pain, definitely look up the article Pokoritel mentioned.

BigAnt
05-31-09, 6:09 pm
Blownby, thats exactly the same shit i have.

heres the verdict...
basically there is some instability within the rotator cuff and possibly a minor tear to the labrum. Our joints are not keeping up with the torture we put on our muscles. i actually can still lift providing that form is flawless.
He prescribed some strengthening exercises for the cuff and advised not to bench past 90 degrees, and to really make use of scapular retraction. Also, i have to lay off any overhead shoulder pressing movements for a while...i have to construct a new routine now, if you have any suggestions feel free to leave them.

BTW. Im buying flex RIGHT now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you get an MRI?

Arthogram is the best (MRI with contrast)

Tear?
We gotta know for sure!

Seated rows with a pinch, rear delt work (rev pec dek) internal/external rotaions with a
t-band-tube and serrarus punches with light dumbbells or in a vertical chest machine are great movements!

Shoulders---do scaption raises and customize your side raises to your tolerance--Remember soreness is good---getting fresh blood & oxygen to the muscles for healing---Pain is bad!

Also seated shoulder dumbbell shrugs will do nicely!

Hope you heal well, ice after training and moist heat prior!

Hit me up if you need any other help!

GC
05-31-09, 7:39 pm
Yeah, he said any tear present isn't of serious magnitude and will heal on its own..providing i modify some exercises, and do the things you mentioned.

For my internal and external rotation and diagonal flexions. when should i do those? separate from workout? before? after?

BigAnt
05-31-09, 10:18 pm
Yeah, he said any tear present isn't of serious magnitude and will heal on its own..providing i modify some exercises, and do the things you mentioned.

For my internal and external rotation and diagonal flexions. when should i do those? separate from workout? before? after?
Do them 2x a day and do them as a warm as well...In Physical Therapy...we tell patient's to do them unti it "burns"...than do 4 more....

Please be careful with your shoulders! I had two tears, a full thickness tear (had surgery now 100% fine) and a partial (rehabbed myself and also good) but I still do my ins/exs as a warm up every upper workout!

GC
06-01-09, 7:55 am
perfect. thanks a lot man, i appreciate it.

BLOWNBY
06-01-09, 10:44 am
Great info BigAnt!

Thanks as well!

BLOWNBY
06-01-09, 10:46 am
& what are these?

serrarus punches with light dumbbells
and scaption raises

GC
06-01-09, 3:00 pm
its like holding your arm straight up (lying on a flat bench) and only moving the shoulder blades as if you were reaching out.

I believe?

t_mh
06-01-09, 5:25 pm
I had a problem like this for a while. Overhead presses and raises killed. I stopped really training shoulders for almost a year. My girlfriend's dad's an ortho surgeon and I'm constantly hearing lists of exercises that "are bad for you" including overhead presses. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to just stop lifting.

BigAnt
06-01-09, 6:28 pm
perfect. thanks a lot man, i appreciate it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad I could be of help...STAY POSITIVE!

BigAnt
06-01-09, 6:30 pm
its like holding your arm straight up (lying on a flat bench) and only moving the shoulder blades as if you were reaching out.

I believe?---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! I like doing them in the vertical chest machine I do a press, pause, than do the punch...very good movement for the shoulders, and guys with bad shoulders can still get some chest work in with no pain!

BigAnt
06-01-09, 6:30 pm
Great info BigAnt!

Thanks as well!

Your welcome...how is your training going?

Spartiate
09-08-09, 5:16 am
Hello,

I started having shoulder pain about 2 months ago when I was doing heavy bench pressing but I ignored the pain because it wasn't really serious, I continued the heavy bench press and the pain got worse. Maybe my shoulders weren't strong enough to stabilise the weight.

- What can I do to rehab my shoulder besides applying ice to it?
- For how long should I rest my shoulder to properly recover?
- During the rest period what upper body exercises can I still perform that won't hinder my recovery? (even doing pushups result in mild shoulder pain)

I'm also taking Animal Flex, with which meal should I take it? Morning, Midday or Evening?

Thank you very much for all your help.

Senny
09-08-09, 5:28 am
From previous experience it sounds like it may be your rotator cuff flaring up. I would say you can still bench but I would keep it light. I would also go with rotator cuff exercises using the cable cross over machine. Set it about elbow height, keep your elbow tucked in at your side and grasp the handle across body and rotate shoulder outwards keeping your shoulder tucked in. That will work the rotator cuff, you can also switch it and pull from the other way(opposite of across body) to work it from another angle. These were the exercises I was told to work on by my physio for rotator injury. Hope that helps.

sanga
09-08-09, 7:19 am
First and foremost go see your doctor, he / she will be able to give expert advise, nobody on this forum as far as I know is a doctor, once you have the all clear to exercise we can go from there.

sunny_max
09-08-09, 7:33 am
First and foremost go see your doctor, he / she will be able to give expert advise, nobody on this forum as far as I know is a doctor, once you have the all clear to exercise we can go from there.

x2....plus no one here knows the extent of your injury man......even light weights can screw you over.....give it rest and see a doc.....

NJC_Manhattan
09-08-09, 7:39 am
Hello,

I started having shoulder pain about 2 months ago when I was doing heavy bench pressing but I ignored the pain because it wasn't really serious, I continued the heavy bench press and the pain got worse. Maybe my shoulders weren't strong enough to stabilise the weight.

- What can I do to rehab my shoulder besides applying ice to it?
- For how long should I rest my shoulder to properly recover?
- During the rest period what upper body exercises can I still perform that won't hinder my recovery? (even doing pushups result in mild shoulder pain)

I'm also taking Animal Flex, with which meal should I take it? Morning, Midday or Evening?

Thank you very much for all your help.

A test to know the seriousness of the problem.

I did this with my doctor.

Put your arms on your side. Lift your hands up, but keep your elbows by your side. If you do it right, you should have a right angle with both your arms.

Then have a friend apply light pressure to each elbow. Then try to lift your elbows out. Kind of looks like your flapping your wings.

If there is any pain or discomfort, you should see a doctor ASAP. It means your rotator is injured or you are on the brink of injury.

Spartiate
09-10-09, 6:24 am
I followed the advice here and went see a doctor.

He prescribed me anti-inflammatory and pain killer drugs.

I'll take those for 5 days and see what happens...

In the meantime I'll just work my legs and abs.

Xklubr
12-20-09, 8:27 pm
So Friday night when I was hitting arms I noticed a dull ache that started in my rear delt and spiraled to the front right in between my bicep and tricep. Saturday was legs, and today was chest. As I was warming up I felt it again, but decided to work through it. By the time I was ending on cable flies I was in some pain. My partner said he has had the same thing before and had to take a month off. I am really making some big gains right now and a break would really set me back. Does anyone have some advice for me? I have taken some Ibuprofen and doubled my dose of post workout BCAAs and it feels better but still a dull ache. Please help.