PDA

View Full Version : Training Grip: Grip Strength

cable
01-28-07, 10:47 pm
looking to improve my grip strength so i dont have to go out and buy a pair of straps for when i do my heavy sets. Anyone know how i could improve on this?

BigNasty
01-28-07, 10:53 pm
Static holds, plate pinchs, and general forearm training.

Hollywood
01-28-07, 11:08 pm
Include wrists and forearms into your workouts. Also using chalk helps as well.

speedster00
01-29-07, 12:28 am
I like static holds as well. And basic forearm curls

Buck Nasty
01-29-07, 1:32 am
this is a good one that ive done. take 225 and put it on the rack just below where you can grab it standing straight up. next grab it and shrug. hold it at the top of your shrug for 45 sec. make sure you use a stopwatch cause youd be amazed at how fast you can count when your forearms are on fire. after your last set...usually 2-3, do some hangs. hang until you fall. then hope your buddies will drive you home since you cant hold the wheel

IronMissouri
01-30-07, 12:14 am
Get a piece of PVC pipe, pretty wide in diameter, a little more than a foot long. drill a hole through one side and put a piece of rope through, about four and a half to five feet long, and tie a big ass knot on the end inside the PVC pipe.

Then attach something small, something that weighs about 5 pounds to the opposite end of the rope.

Hold the pipe out in front of you (sideways), not letting the 5 pound object touch the ground, and twist the rope up and around the pipe using your forearms.

experiment around with it, add bigger weights, ect.

heaviest 5 pounds ever, I swear

Simps
01-30-07, 12:27 am
Actually, while having dependable grip strength for heavy sets is a noble intention, I would still consider get a pair of straps if I were you. For $5 you can get 'em, and they can be a great asset in your lift routine.

For example, one day my training partner and I were destroying ourselves on a 'back' day. Bent-over rows, wide-arm pull-ups, dumbell rows, and all kinds of stuff. Well, on back days we tend to get pull-up crazy. 35lb plate on a chain hangin' off a weight belt (sweet), reppin' 8-10, 3 sets, and then doing sets of 10 pull-ups 7 more times through out the work out.

Well, the point is, my grip strength started to fuckin' fail near the end of our work out. Couldn't do one wide-grip pullup. With a pair of my buddy's straps I could rep out 10 solid reps.

Don't think of straps (or any supplementary equipment) as a wuss crutch, but as a tool for improving your overall physique.

hjayss
01-30-07, 7:56 am
I bought the whole set bro the heavy grippers I have the 150, 200, 250,300 I am currently trying to break into that 300 bro man. This has improved my gripp my hand shake is wicked. Plus it is just fun to let other people try them my wife can do the 150 ha ha some guys can not do it.

IRBS
01-30-07, 9:57 am
Captains of Crush Grippers...awesome

Idlethoughts
01-30-07, 10:08 am
Squeeze a tennis ball, Framers Walk, Grippin a 100lb. plate(in each hand) for 30-45 sec., wrist curls, reverse wrist curls.

Bombboy
01-30-07, 2:24 pm
This is a bit outside thee BB and PL world but here goes. My grip increased tons when a buddy introduced me to bouldering, man hangin from a rock or wall from your fingers, I havent found anything better for grip strength.

BB

T. Kemble
01-30-07, 2:48 pm
DONT OVERTRAIN YOUR GRIP!!
you work your grip strength every time you pick up a weight. train everything without straps and work on using different grips, ie. hook grip, over-under. do some research.
train hard - tek

SLEDGE
01-30-07, 3:07 pm
I've posted about being a big fan of the Captains of Crush Gripper before. I would recommend them to anyone who is serious about grip training. Make grip training a weekly part of your workout. Train forearms specifically. I use the CoC's 2-3 times per week in addition to my normal workouts. If I feel overtrained, I take three days off of any type of grip training. As far as straps, use them when your grip fails. Only use them when your grip fails. If you use straps all the time, your grip can actually get weaker. If you can get by without straps, all the better. I use them, but very little. I prefer to train my grip to keep up with the rest of my strength. Sometimes...it just isn't possible.

Maccabee
01-30-07, 3:08 pm
You can do forearm workouts, those grip crushers that you hold in your hand and squeeze em, do static holds, and remember dont use those wrist wraps. Ppl train with them and get more grip support, but my rule is if i cant grip it then dont lift it. You should be using your own grip strength to lift the weights that you can handle.

PlacentiaBay
01-30-07, 3:32 pm
there is this 1 :

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/CBRollerWristFlexion.html

and i know some1 with a whole program on grip strength, but ill ask his permission before i post the location

ghost
01-30-07, 3:46 pm
where can i get the CoC's from?

my biggest problem with MY grip...shit, id have to show you the picture to fully understand my problem with gripping..

my right hand is missing the pinky and half of the ring finger....and the middle finger cannot fully extend of bend in all the way because of some hand surgeries...so my grip on my right hand sucks...i have been training forearms a lot..trying to fix it..and doing the Shrug Holds.

SLEDGE
01-31-07, 6:21 pm
where can i get the CoC's from?

my biggest problem with MY grip...shit, id have to show you the picture to fully understand my problem with gripping..

my right hand is missing the pinky and half of the ring finger....and the middle finger cannot fully extend of bend in all the way because of some hand surgeries...so my grip on my right hand sucks...i have been training forearms a lot..trying to fix it..and doing the Shrug Holds.

Keep working your grip bro, but don't be afraid to use a strap if you are having problems on that hand. Keep in mind, you don't want to develop an imbalance so you'll have to work your right hand a little harder than your left.

Here is the link to the CoC grippers.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/ironmind/

cable
01-31-07, 8:30 pm
sick reples guys, definetly gonna bring some of this in to help with my grip

PlacentiaBay
02-06-07, 6:14 pm
ok, I got the go ahead from lee hayward to post the link for his grip training method. This is by far the best one that I have come across over the past year and I enjoyed increasing my grip strength.

So here is the link: http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com/

enjoy.

SLEDGE
02-07-07, 3:12 pm
FYI-Ironmind just came out with new levels of grippers. This is a complete listing.

• Guide @ 60 lb. (No. 1401) for entry-level training and hands

• Sport @ 80 lb. (No. 1402) warm up and condition your hands

• Trainer @ 100lb. (No. 1250) if you’re ready for serious grip training

• No. 1 @ 140 lb. (No. 1251) if you have been training your crushing grip or have unusually strong hands

NEW-1.5

• No. 2 @ 195 lb. (No. 1252) if you have—or want!—a truly extraordinary grip

New-2.5

• No. 3 @ 280 lb. (No. 1253) take your place among the elite grip masters

New-3.5

• No. 4 @ 365 lb. (No. 1272) the ultimate feat of (crushing) grip strength*
me out with new levels of grippers

PlacentiaBay
02-08-07, 10:19 pm
was there a reason why the site was removed? I wasnt informed...

hjayss
02-20-07, 8:21 am
FYI-Ironmind just came out with new levels of grippers. This is a complete listing.

• Guide @ 60 lb. (No. 1401) for entry-level training and hands

• Sport @ 80 lb. (No. 1402) warm up and condition your hands

• Trainer @ 100lb. (No. 1250) if you’re ready for serious grip training

• No. 1 @ 140 lb. (No. 1251) if you have been training your crushing grip or have unusually strong hands

NEW-1.5

• No. 2 @ 195 lb. (No. 1252) if you have—or want!—a truly extraordinary grip

New-2.5

• No. 3 @ 280 lb. (No. 1253) take your place among the elite grip masters

New-3.5

• No. 4 @ 365 lb. (No. 1272) the ultimate feat of (crushing) grip strength*
me out with new levels of grippers

but sledge have youo seen that guy ono the websit with the like 30 inch forearm that sucker is like a bi/tri on a forearm that is sick.

Dingo
02-20-07, 10:13 am
easiest way ive found, dont flex the wrist during bi/tri exercises, and wrap the dumbells with a handtowel or washcloth,the extra width on the bar helpshand strength. it doesnt do much for getting size on the forearms but helps with strength and stamina.

SLEDGE
02-20-07, 11:09 am
There are lots of good ways to increase grip strength! I'll post some of the stuff I do in here. I'm hoping to be certified on the #3 in the next 2-3 months. Then on to the #4.

One of the things I do for my grip strength is to only use straps once my normal grip has failed. I'll wear my straps, but not use them. When my grip fails, I'll wrap the straps around the bar and go right into another set. Good for my grip and for my lifts.

COLE
02-20-07, 11:15 am
Since grip is mostly forearm strength here is a previous post that you can get some good info from as well.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=2586&highlight=forearm

stumblin54
02-20-07, 11:17 am
I perform farmer's walks at the end of training a couple times a week with balls heavy weight. Just don't drop it on your toes or you'll be in trouble. Peace.

Stumblin

grissinger
02-20-07, 2:07 pm
Static holds.

WillWest
06-28-07, 11:29 am
I'm looking for methods of improving grip. I'm weening myself off lifting straps when doing shrugs. (thats all i use them for now) but my grip is letting me down.

Apart from doing more shrugs and deadlifts what do you do to improve grip?

IRBS
06-28-07, 11:33 am
I'm looking for methods of improving grip. I'm weening myself off lifting straps when doing shrugs. (thats all i use them for now) but my grip is letting me down.

Captains of Crush Grippers, static holds, wrist curls, farmers walk, anything you have to hold for a long time will help.

WillWest
06-28-07, 11:40 am
Thanks IRBS

Can you confirm im right in thinking

static holds= holding plates using fingers and thumb either side?

wrist curls= using barbell keeping forearm still.

farmers walk= holding dumbells by your side and....i guess walking?

IRBS
06-28-07, 11:44 am
Thanks IRBS

Can you confirm im right in thinking

static holds= holding plates using fingers and thumb either side?

wrist curls= using barbell keeping forearm still.

farmers walk= holding dumbells by your side and....i guess walking?

Static Holds = Holding a Heavy BD or BB for a long time as heavy as you can

Wrist Curls = you are correct

Farmers Walk = You got it!

Also, plate flips...take a plate (25/45/whatever) and flip and catch it in one hand....watch your feet on this one!! LOL

benmatthews90
06-28-07, 1:55 pm
ivanko super gripper, im getting one in the post right now should be good, try pinches

Hikeon3
06-28-07, 2:31 pm
Farmer's Walk Dropsets. Will not only send your grip strength through the roof, your forearms will get JACKED.

Also I like to just do hang-holds on a chin-up bar. Incorporate it at the end of back day so you can get a really good stretch on the lats, traps, and rhomboids. Then, while you're getting that stretch, just see if you can't hold on for 30 seconds or more. You'll feel it.

king1
06-28-07, 3:39 pm
I know it been mentioned in every post, but farmers walks are where its at. I hate just standing there holding a barbell, or hanging on the chin up bar for my grip. I grab some 100 lb dumbells, walk as far as i can, set them down and repeat 3 more times. It has gotta be one of the most underrated exercises out there. I know its your grip that will fail you, but your whole arms, neck/traps, and even your legs will feel it. Its one of the most bad ass feeling exercises that i do. Also unless your a strongman walk slowly and make that walk as hard as it can be.

Suleiman
06-28-07, 3:43 pm
go rock climbing without equipment lol worked for me

gflash77
06-28-07, 5:32 pm
towel hangs work very well too.

WillWest
06-29-07, 4:28 am
Tried out farmers walk & wrist curls last night.

Farmers walk was awesome. used 77lb dumbells and did 4 walks until i couldnt hold them anymore. Really enjoyed that one.

Wrist curls i started off pretty light. 27.5lb barbell x8, 33lb barbell x8, 38.5lb barbell x8. Did this palms up then went for the same palms down. Couldnt quite manage it. got 27.5 for 8 then 33 for 6. forearms felt like they were going to rip out of my skin!

I like the sound of towel hangs, is that holding a towel over a bar/beam - one hand either side and holding your own weight?

benmatthews90
06-29-07, 5:56 am
go rock climbing without equipment lol worked for me

going to failure can be a bitch though

violator
06-29-07, 9:25 am
All the above suggestions r great.
another one to add for around the house is to get 2 bricks, hold them by ur fingertips with ur arms out straight untill u cant hold on anymore.

peace

gflash77
06-29-07, 1:15 pm
Tried out farmers walk & wrist curls last night.

Farmers walk was awesome. used 77lb dumbells and did 4 walks until i couldnt hold them anymore. Really enjoyed that one.

Wrist curls i started off pretty light. 27.5lb barbell x8, 33lb barbell x8, 38.5lb barbell x8. Did this palms up then went for the same palms down. Couldnt quite manage it. got 27.5 for 8 then 33 for 6. forearms felt like they were going to rip out of my skin!

I like the sound of towel hangs, is that holding a towel over a bar/beam - one hand either side and holding your own weight?

Get two face towels (bigger than washcloth but smaller than bath towel). Fold it length wise to where the width of it is easy to grip in your hands. Throw them over the top of a bar or beam and grab both ends of one towel with each hand (one for your left, one for your right). Let your body just hang (feel free to take your knees back if you don't have enough room). Two sets to failure should do the trick.

Riesjs
06-29-07, 8:39 pm
Farmer's Walk Dropsets. Will not only send your grip strength through the roof, your forearms will get JACKED.

Also I like to just do hang-holds on a chin-up bar. Incorporate it at the end of back day so you can get a really good stretch on the lats, traps, and rhomboids. Then, while you're getting that stretch, just see if you can't hold on for 30 seconds or more. You'll feel it.

Farmer dropset's are a fantastic idea.......worked wonders.

BigAnt
06-29-07, 8:53 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep off the straps, your grip will improve....
I saw this guy, doing deads, not that heavy, using a smaller Olympic bar...grabbing the lips of the 45lb plates...I tried this...pretty good!

Farmers walk as mentioned is very good and fore arm work...

Like everything else....it will come with time, glad to see you have desire..that is 95% of this battle!

Ant

18-Delta
06-29-07, 9:15 pm
(Cut and pasted this from another thread I wote it in. I swear by this exercise. My forearms get rocked and my grip is the last thing I worry about when doing deads etc. This, in combination with farmers and statics, are bound to give you a kung-fu grip.)

"One of the exercises I do for forearms that make them feel like exploding is a weighted rope.

Went to home depot and made it for a few bucks. Well worth the cost.

Cut a 2x2 piece of wood down to about 18". Rounded the edges a little and sanded the rest smooth. Drilled a hole through the center and threaded a rope through. Rope is about 6-7 ft. long. At the end of the rope I attached a D-ring/caribiner. Throw on a plate or two and away you go. Use it for curls and flexes. I typically will stand on a bench, in order to use the total length of the rope, and hold my arms straight out.

Again, my forearms get slammed with this exercise."

!8-Delta

H Bomb
06-30-07, 11:10 am
Chalk.

sailorjerry
06-30-07, 11:37 am
try hanging from a pull up bar for as long as you can.... once you can do a minute fairly easily put a towel around it to make it thicker this way it forces your hand and forearm muscles to stretch and become stronger

Cru
06-30-07, 11:51 am
try plate pinches. grab a couple of tens, and hold between your thumb and the rest of your fingers. one day, use as much weight as you can and shoot for 10-20 seconds. another day, focus on your pinkie and ring fingers by just using your thumb and last two digits (lighter weight of course). hex dumbbells work just as well. deadlifts with a limited range of motion work great too, just so your hands get used to gripping heavy ass weight. go overhand until you fail, then use an alternate grip. ironmind.com sells tons of useful grip tools, such as the CoC grippers, the ironmind telegraph, etc...

for forearm work, try standing straight up with a ten held at your side, pinched. curl your wrist as far back as you can, hold, then extend up as far as you can. grip work just takes time and commitment, work it about 2-4 times a week, and watch people's faces as you shake their hands.

WillWest
07-01-07, 4:18 am
This is great stuff, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Talking of grip - i got 264 x4 deadlift yesterday (personal best) no straps, just chalk.

I'm gonna keep the farmers walk in my routine. I do a good amount of chin ups so might add some hanging til failure on the end of those sets. Not quite brave enough to try the plate flip yet!

I'll give all these suggestions a try and pick out which ones work best for me.

dominatetheiron
07-17-07, 3:33 pm
need some help on my dead lifts and some back exercises i have been having trouble with my grip i use straps every now and again but don't really like too. what can i do to improve my grip strength?

krazyassmexican
07-17-07, 3:34 pm
i am probably wrong but farmers walks helped me a lot

Riesjs
07-17-07, 3:37 pm
Static Holds - grap a plate, a DB stand there, let it hang, and grip the shit outta it till you cant anymore
Farmer Walks - same idea, BUT, walk!
Barbell Wrist Curls - keep the weight light, do 12 reps at a crack, get Full-rom

dominatetheiron
07-17-07, 3:40 pm
thanks fellas you guys jumped all over this one.

brandonA
07-17-07, 3:41 pm
I am doing a 3 day a week grip work that looks like this...

start with plate pinches -
2 fat 25's (or 35's depending on how strong you are) put the hallow faces together and place your thumb on side and fingers on the other, pick them up and hold fot 30 secs....4 sets...

ring curls -
I use the olympic bar, hands sholder width, regular grip (overhand), let the bar roll towards the tips of your fingers and then curl it back in to your plam and squeeze....4 sets of 15-20 weight depends on you....these burn....

reverse wrist curls -
use the olympic bar, over hand, place your fore arms on a bench and curl, some do this in the air, I cant...
4 sets of 15 - 20 weight depends on you

wrist curls -
underhand grip - olympic bar place fore arms on bench or knees - weight depends on you
4 sets of 15-20....

farmers walk with heavy dumbells, walking lunges with heavy dumbells....

-B

brandonA
07-17-07, 3:43 pm
thanks fellas you guys jumped all over this one.

Rember to squeeze the fuck out of the bar, no matter what movement you are doing, dumbell, barbell, machine....squeeze the bar for all you are worth....this will help a ton as welll..

-B

king1
07-18-07, 12:06 am
I find the harder i squeeze the bar the easier the exercise is whether im pulling or pressing. Anyways if your trying to be a bodybuilder i dont see why you should dump the straps. I hate hearing people talk bad about straps, they serve a purpose and when not abused are VERY valuable. But the best way to increase forearm strength is farmers walks. 4 set to ABSOLUTE failure, i mean 2 fingers have already given out but your still moving cuz the other 3 still have a grip. Once you can do all 4 sets for a given distance increase the weight. You should be able to increase the weights frequently since your forearms will quickly adapt to this intense exercise. But unless you have some predisposition to a strong grip i cant imagine having forearms that can handle the same weight as your traps or back (this is where straps come in)

hjayss
07-18-07, 6:04 am
I did a search for yah this is what I came up with reall meaty one
There are a few more on grip strength but this is one for you...
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1476&highlight=grip+strength

Maccabee
07-18-07, 11:23 am
the wrist wraps for deads...throw them away

Dead(Lift)
07-21-07, 2:40 am
Any training tips you wanna give me?

I currently train with the CoC's and my pinch with plate-pinch curls.

I am much stronger with my right than my left on the CoC's. I am proud though, seeing as I'm 14 yr's old and repping the #1 4 times max with my left and 9 times with my right, and only had them for about 3 weeks. My current workout is as follows:
Warmup
TrainerX12, 2 sets
WorkSets
#1Xfailure, 3 sets

My pinch grip isn't as strong. I'm thinking of getting the blockbuster(I think that's the name of it) pinch tool. I can only rep out 8 reps with 2 10's facing eachother.

If anyone doesn't train grip, I suggest you train it now. It's a great feeling when I'm young and may possibly close the #3 at the youngest age! And hopefully the #4. If you do get some grippers buy from Ironmind.com. They're great and reliable.

Good luck on anyone's gripping goals and I appreciate any information/tips you give me on grip.

-Matt, Dead(Lift)

hjayss
07-21-07, 6:10 am
I use the heavy grippers I am on the 250and 300 now I have almost the whole set I doubt I will close the 350 but ahh what a fun day that would be...
there is a few threads on grip strengh also .....

Dead(Lift)
07-21-07, 1:21 pm
Are the heavy grippers and CoC same? I heard on bodybuilding.com that the heavy grippers aren't as good as CoC.

Young&Hungry
07-21-07, 1:31 pm
Starting to do heavy grip work now because I do a lot of olympic lifts and heavy deadlifting without straps or chalk, so my grip strength is becoming more paramount in my training. I never really got accustomed to the feel of straps. Did some plate pinches Thursday for the first time, and those truely do seperate the men from the boys.

Dead(Lift)
07-21-07, 1:37 pm
When doing plate pinches do I just hold it there or do a certain movement with them?

Also I'm getting the #2 and #3 sometime this weekend hopefully, but its gunna be at my moms so I'll have to try to convince my dad to drive me over to pick them up.

MFALCH
07-21-07, 11:14 pm
I used the pinch plate move, worked wonders. I just held them straight out from my body, and knelt so they wouldn't drop too far.

Dead(Lift)
07-21-07, 11:58 pm
I been doing them wrong then... I do curls and that makes it hard.

ghost
07-22-07, 12:13 am
i train my grip any time i do shrugs, deads, bent over bb rows, db shrugs, db calf raises, and db lunges.

Dead(Lift)
07-22-07, 12:20 am
i train my grip any time i do shrugs, deads, bent over bb rows, db shrugs, db calf raises, and db lunges.

That's true. Deadlifting works your grip great if you don't use straps. Have you tried the CoC grippers? It says most people who lift weight can't close the #1

ghost
07-22-07, 12:22 am
no, i use my straps when i go heavier than 225 for deads, seeing as i am missing 2 fingers on my right hnad, it gets really hard to hold the bar with only 2 fingers total gripping, my middle finger has no grip strength because the tendon is messed up on that finger.

Dead(Lift)
07-22-07, 12:28 am
no, i use my straps when i go heavier than 225 for deads, seeing as i am missing 2 fingers on my right hnad, it gets really hard to hold the bar with only 2 fingers total gripping, my middle finger has no grip strength because the tendon is messed up on that finger.

What happened if you don't mind me asking?

ghost
07-22-07, 12:29 am
it is in my log...click on the link in my signature.

Dead(Lift)
07-22-07, 12:33 am
Nice to see your still into lifting. I guess nothing will stop an animal from toying with the iron, huh? I'm guessing you severed the tendons from lifting?

ghost
07-22-07, 10:56 pm
Nice to see your still into lifting. I guess nothing will stop an animal from toying with the iron, huh? I'm guessing you severed the tendons from lifting?

nope......definitely wasnt from lifting.
and nothing will keep me from the weights.

brandonA
07-22-07, 11:03 pm
Check out my log for my grip work...the Heavy Grippers are not equal to the COC's....I can close the #1 a ton and can get the #2 to 1/4" on the 1st time...I do wrist curls, plate pinches, and ring curls....check out the gripboard if you really want some good info...I am getting in to bending as well...I dont use straps, just chalk....

P.M. me if you have any questions...

-B

Dead(Lift)
07-22-07, 11:45 pm
Check out my log for my grip work...the Heavy Grippers are not equal to the COC's....I can close the #1 a ton and can get the #2 to 1/4" on the 1st time...I do wrist curls, plate pinches, and ring curls....check out the gripboard if you really want some good info...I am getting in to bending as well...I dont use straps, just chalk....

P.M. me if you have any questions...

-B

On the first time? Nice. I think I'm pretty close to closing the #2 with my right. I'd love to be the youngest to close the #3 or #4. Thatd be like benching 500+ at a young age.

ghost
07-22-07, 11:46 pm
another great exercise for training grip is Rock Climbing. :)

Dead(Lift)
07-22-07, 11:52 pm
another great exercise for training grip is Rock Climbing. :)

I've never went rock climbing. I want to go do alot of things. Hunting, White water rafting, and camping are a few.

My dad thinks hunting and camping are redneck things and he doesn't like rednecks because he's had some bad experiences with some.

ChandlerXJ
07-28-07, 1:02 pm
I got the hexvy grips set and its done nothing but help my bench and reads and give al OST an inch to my forearms, I think these things are amazing, lots of people over look the grip

RipTheMonster
07-28-07, 10:53 pm
What is CoC?

norrim1
07-28-07, 11:39 pm
When I train at home sometimes I add some tape to the bar to thicken it up a little, also I think that plate pinches are key. You see a lot of guys, especially when benching, shaking like a leaf because they have a poor grip. Definently adds pounds to your deadlift.

Dead(Lift)
07-29-07, 12:35 am
What is CoC?

Nickname for Captain of Crush grippers.

SolidTongan
09-29-07, 2:53 pm
I'm havin' a problem with my grip strength. They say to use no straps when I'm liftin' so that my grip will get stronger, but at tha same time, I can't really overlooad tha muscles I'm workin' out becuz I can't go that heavy without the straps. For instance, on deadlifts, I can do 250-300 without the straps, but the workload is too easy. I usually do between 400-500 with the staps to feel the pump. Are there certain excercises that y'all know of to increase grip strength? If so, please help me out! The next time I shake my boss' hand, I want him to know I mean business!

GatorMP_69
09-29-07, 3:04 pm
I have noticed that when I work on my forearm curls, I feel it in my grip as well. I do reverses, so when the weight goes down, I let it roll down to my finger tips and start the curl with my fingers, rolling it up into my palms and then rolling up more and holding the flex at the top of the exercise. I try to do 10 - 12 reps with 135#. That seems to be a comfortable weight. I hav ebumped it up to 185# a few times. Feels good. Does your gym have a gripper (AKA a grip machine)? Try the forearm curls and see if they help you any. Good luck, and if you find somethin that works better, let me know.

norrim1
09-29-07, 3:05 pm
Work on your forearms. Exercises like heavy wrist curls or pinching a few plates together will help. Check this link out, there's a few other tips in here:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=10841&page=2&highlight=big+forearms

Torque757
09-29-07, 3:28 pm
Behnind the back forearm curls will be your best bet. Also, try this stretch after working your forearms, definantly at the last thing in a workout becuase your grip will be fried:

Get in position for setaed forearm curls, with hands of the edge of a bench, lower it into the bottom portion of the lift, get a good stretch just holding the bb in your fingertips. Let it stretch and pull for 60 seconds.

Squat_Heavy
09-29-07, 3:37 pm
Curls dont do shit for grip. Do plateflipping, pinchgrip holds, deads with 1-2-3 fingers on each hand, take lots og 2.5kgplates and pinch em together( smothe sides out) and hold em for time. Thats how i train my grip and i have a pretty DAMN good grip

IRBS
09-29-07, 4:13 pm
Curls dont do shit for grip. Do plateflipping, pinchgrip holds, deads with 1-2-3 fingers on each hand, take lots og 2.5kgplates and pinch em together( smothe sides out) and hold em for time. Thats how i train my grip and i have a pretty DAMN good grip

x2, you want a solid grip? Hold on to some heavy stuff for a long period of time, that will do it...

Also, throw out your lifting straps. Do all your deads, rows, shrugs, etc without straps. Your grip will improve tremendously.

Elite
09-29-07, 4:20 pm

Also, throw out your lifting straps. Do all your deads, rows, shrugs, etc without straps. Your grip will improve tremendously.

No doubt!

Never used wraps and ok, it was a pain in the ass doing deads and not being able to lift to my potential due to weak grip. But, slowly but surely my grip has caught up and is nearly in tandem with lifting my full dead capacity. Rome wer'nt built in a day and patience is a neccesary part of bodybuilding/powerlifting.

Tho you could always split your deads into two sections. Start of with no wraps and work to your full grip potential to improve grip. Then add wraps and hit the deads harder. Pinch holding plates as stated already will also add to rectifying your grip woes.

SolidTongan
09-29-07, 4:32 pm

What's plate flipping?

SolidTongan
09-29-07, 4:33 pm
Thanks foe da advice, fellas! Will try next time when workin' out forearms.

IRBS
09-29-07, 4:36 pm
What's plate flipping?

Grab a plate, flip it, and catch it...plate flipping.

SolidTongan
09-29-07, 4:40 pm
Thanks. Appreciate it

Squat_Heavy
09-29-07, 4:53 pm
When you have a 45' in each of your hand and can flip it 8-10 times, you will have a good grip( yes i have done that!). BUT; it has to be a smooth plate, no rim on it.

king1
09-29-07, 5:04 pm
Im doing a beginner westside program. The end of every lower body workout ill grad the heaviest dumbells i can and hold them as long as i can for 3 sets. THe next workout ill grab the heaviest plates i can and pinch two of them together in each hand. Hold them until they fall, rest and repeat 2 more times. Im goin on my third week and my strength is flying up. Heavy dumbell holds and plate pinches work great for me. I used to do farmers walks (walking with heavy dumbells) but in the schools crowded gym i cant do that, anyways work your grip by overloading it any way you can. And if you have to use straps on deads go for it. My grip still fails me on some upper body days and i just pull out the straps. Use straps when you need to, but make a solid effort to increase your grip at the same time.

Medford
09-29-07, 5:06 pm
I'm getting those gripper squeeze thingies...they range from 50lbs pull to 350 lbs pull

Northman
09-29-07, 8:34 pm
When you are done on deads day, set up the rack like you would for shrugs. Put as much weight as you can hold on to for 15 seconds on the bar and hold it for 20.

Medford
10-01-07, 1:28 pm
I actually also reccomend the weight with the string, simple but effective

burns the forearms something firece

ChandlerXJ
10-01-07, 10:51 pm
dudes, go with grip training, like heavy grips. add some behind the back BB curls, bingo.

lose the straps, on shrugs, if you need the help, just use a Dead Lift grip, helps a lot.

let me know if you guys find improvements!

Tron
10-02-07, 12:40 pm
When you have a 45' in each of your hand and can flip it 8-10 times, you will have a good grip( yes i have done that!). BUT; it has to be a smooth plate, no rim on it.

Doesn't sound too safe to me. You got your steeltoes on then? How many times have you popped your shins? Just curiousity.

Squat_Heavy
10-02-07, 12:56 pm
Doesn't sound too safe to me. You got your steeltoes on then? How many times have you popped your shins? Just curiousity.

I only did mye toe in once! Its a damn good exercise!!!!

Shogun Assassin
10-02-07, 2:21 pm

yeah thats what i thought too the first time i heard about plate flipping... but my friends do it with 25s and they say its not that bad.

another good way to improve your grip is to use a talon grip on a pull up bar and do a few of those... to do that you use your first two fingers and thumb only as you pull yourself up. my friend does this and he said it improved his grip substantially.

LegendKillerJosh
10-02-07, 2:23 pm
x2, you want a solid grip? Hold on to some heavy stuff for a long period of time, that will do it...

Don't throw out the straps - it's not worth sacrificing weight on your back workout because your forearms can't handle the load. Use chalk - you'll be suprised you can hold just as much, chalked hands on a bar won't slip.

Prototype
10-03-07, 10:07 am
damn plate flippin, now that i have to try thanx for the advise.

ghost
10-03-07, 12:42 pm
I'm havin' a problem with my grip strength. They say to use no straps when I'm liftin' so that my grip will get stronger, but at tha same time, I can't really overlooad tha muscles I'm workin' out becuz I can't go that heavy without the straps. For instance, on deadlifts, I can do 250-300 without the straps, but the workload is too easy. I usually do between 400-500 with the staps to feel the pump. Are there certain excercises that y'all know of to increase grip strength? If so, please help me out! The next time I shake my boss' hand, I want him to know I mean business!

i have no choice BUT to use straps when i lift....i have 2 fingers missing from my right hand, and cant fully make a fist with my right hand....only finger that goes all the way in is my index finger...so i cant grab a crapton of weight with just thatfinger.

BigLansford
10-03-07, 6:40 pm
I've started squeezing the shit outta the bar everytime I think about it.

Usually on curls and back day.

Seems to be working pretty well.

That and going down to the local dollar store and getting one of those rubber high bounce balls and squeezing that every chance I get.

laxnit23
12-08-07, 3:22 pm
Does anyone have any tips on strengthening grip? Mine is very weak, and at first I attributed it to just having certain areas that are under-developed since I have only been lifting for three years. For example, while deadlifting and shrugging or holding any "heavier" weight, the bar seems to slip out of my hands. I've read about Grippers which hold certain poundages (100, 150, 200lbs) and my training partner suggested heavy farmer walks. What do you guys do?

norrim1
12-08-07, 3:27 pm
Does anyone have any tips on strengthening grip? Mine is very weak, and at first I attributed it to just having certain areas that are under-developed since I have only been lifting for three years. For example, while deadlifting and shrugging or holding any "heavier" weight, the bar seems to slip out of my hands. I've read about Grippers which hold certain poundages (100, 150, 200lbs) and my training partner suggested heavy farmer walks. What do you guys do?

Check this link out bro, a whole thread on what your looking for:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=11146&highlight=Forearm+training

gsb239
12-08-07, 3:46 pm
Farmers walks are good.

I do forearms after bis and tris. My forearm routine is usually like this:
Reverse BB curls 3x15-20
Behind the back BB wrist curls 3x12-15
Seated BB wrist curls 3x20
Seated BB wrist extensions 3xfailure

For the seated BB curls I place my forearms between by thighs and my wrists hang over the edge off the edge of the flat bench (Arnold style).
For seated BB extensions, my forearms rest on top of my thighs and my wrists hang off the edge of my knees. Hope that makes sense.

Geek
12-08-07, 4:13 pm
and this is what i do.

first and foremost, get rid of your gloves and straps (if you use them)! only use them at the very end of your workout, for your heaviest lifts, if you MUST.

i work my grip/forearms 3 times a week. one day i will do the typical forearm curls, one day i will do 3 sets of farmers walks for about 100-150ft (as heavy as i can, if i have to drop to 'get my grip' no stress, just pick the weight right back up, this will work your 'support strength', which is what you are saying is your problem area), and the third day i use captains of crush grippers (works your 'crushing strength') and train with them.

another option (and this works your 'pinch grip') you can do is take 2 plates of the same weight and put them face to face (i.e. smooth side out) and pick them up and hold them with your finger tips for as long as you can. if you get to a weight where you cant put two plates together and lift them, use a lighter weight and then a small bar through the center and add 2.5lbs or 5lbs as needed until you are ready to move up to a larger set of plates. i try to pick up the plates im using next in this method, just to change things up.

Shawn J
12-08-07, 5:26 pm
I agree. Straps only if absolutly needed.

gripperm
01-02-08, 1:43 am
Finally something I can help with, I own and run a website site dedicated to grip training only so if you have any questions please feel free to ask

hjayss
01-02-08, 1:55 am
6) Expressing Yourself...
Shit, we all got something to say... We all want to get our points across. How? Through the "clever" use of emoticons? By using an image as a "witty" or "humorous" response to a post? Fuck that... Here, there are only two ways to express yourself. First and foremost, through wise and informed posts. Second, through your signature. If you elect to use a "sig", use it wisely. Use it to express yourself, to share a vital insight into your your philosophy. Sigs are most certainly not for posting links to other sites, especially commercial ones. You also won't be allowed to post in color, make fancy pictures out of words, or promote anything other than yourself--unless you have specific, express permission from Management. Break these rules, and your sig will be automatically removed or modified. Bottom line, wanna make a name for yourself here? Get your weight and stats up and be a solid member.
b4 it gets outta hand remember this...

jeff00z28
01-02-08, 3:59 am
Get a piece of PVC pipe, pretty wide in diameter, a little more than a foot long. drill a hole through one side and put a piece of rope through, about four and a half to five feet long, and tie a big ass knot on the end inside the PVC pipe.

Then attach something small, something that weighs about 5 pounds to the opposite end of the rope.

Hold the pipe out in front of you (sideways), not letting the 5 pound object touch the ground, and twist the rope up and around the pipe using your forearms.

experiment around with it, add bigger weights, ect.

heaviest 5 pounds ever, I swear

my school has one of those they work

Tiny
01-02-08, 8:17 am
Masterbation works well not only to develop grip and forearm muscularity but it is equally an exercise in ambidexterity. Just lift the fucking weights and if you do it long and hard enough you will end up with moster grip strength and good forearms to boot - this shit takes care of itself. Don't cheat yourself out of the "whore" growth where it is a freebie - later, much later, if you find a balance problem relating to underdevelopment of forearms, then look at specifying. You've got one fucking nervous system - no matter what bodypart you are working, you are still firing along the same central nervous system and this is the most highly misunderstood aspect to overtraining. The undertrained athlete still progresses, the overtrained does not.

gripperm
01-02-08, 9:56 am
6) Expressing Yourself...
Shit, we all got something to say... We all want to get our points across. How? Through the "clever" use of emoticons? By using an image as a "witty" or "humorous" response to a post? Fuck that... Here, there are only two ways to express yourself. First and foremost, through wise and informed posts. Second, through your signature. If you elect to use a "sig", use it wisely. Use it to express yourself, to share a vital insight into your your philosophy. Sigs are most certainly not for posting links to other sites, especially commercial ones. You also won't be allowed to post in color, make fancy pictures out of words, or promote anything other than yourself--unless you have specific, express permission from Management. Break these rules, and your sig will be automatically removed or modified. Bottom line, wanna make a name for yourself here? Get your weight and stats up and be a solid member.
b4 it gets outta hand remember this...

Who's sig are you saying this towards? If you meant about my post that I have knowledge because of a grip training site then I will edit it, I made no mention of the actual site, just that I do have some knowledge that I could help people. I am not trying to rock any boat and if I voilated rule number 6 than sorry. Now I cant edit my post

Lethal_Banana
01-02-08, 10:28 am
Who's sig are you saying this towards? If you meant about my post that I have knowledge because of a grip training site then I will edit it, I made no mention of the actual site, just that I do have some knowledge that I could help people. I am not trying to rock any boat and if I voilated rule number 6 than sorry. Now I cant edit my post

Don't worry ;) He didn't mean you, as he is talking about signatures, not the actual posts.

Cheers,
LB

LiftBig315
01-05-08, 8:26 pm
What are some exercises I could do to get my grip strength up. I don't know if it is just that my grip is weak as hell or it is the fact that the bars at the gym all seem to be greasy. I don't know if they allow chalk at the gym, never seen anybody use it. And there wasn't anybody around to ask if they allowed it or not. I don't have straps, and don't feel I should need them doing only holding as much weight as I was. I was just doing bb shrugs. Sorry for the random question, but I figured somebody on here would have some pointers.

Thanks.

EDIT - Or will it just come along with strength gains from other lifts?

kamrynd
01-05-08, 8:44 pm
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=8

Elite
01-05-08, 8:47 pm
Here...
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=11146&highlight=grip+strength

LiftBig315
01-05-08, 8:48 pm
Thanks man, if I was shruggin 275 and the bar started slipping on the 3rd set of 10, at 6 reps. what would you say I should start out at with the link you gave me?

LiftBig315
01-05-08, 9:02 pm
Here...
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=11146&highlight=grip+strength

Thanks man, guess I shouldn't have even posted this. and I didn't see your reply as I was writing mine at the same time.

powerhouse
01-24-08, 2:39 am
hi all i wanna get my grip up for wrestling/judo can anyone help and what excerise should i do and how many days do i train grip wb all

BigBlueBear
01-24-08, 2:51 am
Static holds, farmer's walks, forearm work will get your grip up in no time. Avoid usin straps and gloves when doin any other work you're doin (ie deads, shrugs, etc)... it's just counter productive to what you're wanting to achieve.

Dozer
01-24-08, 4:02 am
If you have access to kettlebells, I'd definitely recommend using them--I had a great grip after training with them for a few months.

BrokenShell
01-24-08, 5:35 am
Another good thing to try is making the bar thicker by wrapping a towel around it, then holding that part when you're doing things like chins. It'll challenge your grip a lot more than when the bar is thinner.

Rexor91
01-24-08, 12:05 pm
Static holds, farmer's walks, forearm work will get your grip up in no time. Avoid usin straps and gloves when doin any other work you're doin (ie deads, shrugs, etc)... it's just counter productive to what you're wanting to achieve.

True this. I'd say do 4-5 sets of medium volume with deads and shrugs.... probably the best things for grip besides pullups. And like the Bear said, no straps!

Brick By Brick
01-24-08, 12:22 pm
Plate pinches and dead hangs from a pull-up bar.

powerhouse
01-24-08, 12:24 pm
i went on here to see the post and i listen to yeah i done what yh said yh i dnt use straps or gloves any way i done farmers walk pinch grip pinch plate wrist rollers and done reverse curls and made one of my barbell thicker it seems alot harder thxs guys

Geek
02-19-08, 9:26 am
There have been many posts asking about various aspects of forearm training and grip strength. I want to specifically talk about training your forearm strength. While I am not an expert, I have learned a little about training this specific area, and I want to share it. Let’s begin….

When you talk about grip strength, you have three types:
Support: Directly linked to how much weight you can hold and how long you can hold it
Crush: Think about a hand shake
Pinch: the force applied when you squeeze a finger (any one of them) against your thumb

Support Strength Expanded
‘Support’ strength comes in handy (and is trained) when you are doing exercises like deads, shrugs, or farmers walk. While you may not want to train this type of strength specifically, support strength will probably be your single biggest limiting factor on the about of weight you can lift in the three lifts mentioned above (and similar lifts).

Support Strength Training
This sounds ultra simplistic….pick up heavy shit. Flat out, if you want to train your support strength, pick up something heavy and hold it for as long as you can. When you grip fails, rest a moment and repeat.

Another good idea is to get rid of your straps and gloves, except for your heaviest lifts after your grip has failed. Remember these items are tools, but if you over use them, they become a crutch and a detractor from your training goals.

Crush Strength Expanded
Have you ever gone to give someone and handshake and you get the ‘dead fish’ grip? EWWWWW…..I fucking hate that. That gives the impression that this guy is weak (both of flesh and spirit) right? Now, have you ever gone for the hand shake and had your hand crushed? Granted, it sucks to get your hand crushed, but damn, didn’t that make an impression? A solid handshake leads off a good first impression.

Fuck a handshake for a second…how cool would it be just to be able to crush an unopened can of soda (a coke or a frosted barley pop)? Would make a great bar trick or pick up line right?

Crush Strength Training
There are lots of tools out there that will help your crush strength, check out Captains of Crush grippers. You can also find grip trainers in some gyms.

Pinch Strength Expanded
I really do not know why you would want to train this, but hey, who cares. Yet another ‘bar trick’, how about we go and bend some horseshoes or some nails? Pretty neat trick right?

Pinch Strength Training
The easiest way to describe this, pick up a plate (of an appropriate size of course) with just the tips of your finger (just one) and your thumb. Hold, drop, and repeat. There are also smaller grippers you can purchase. Smaller being both in size and resistance.

Well, there you have it…some basics for grip strength. Someone else can talk about forearm size training if they want to…I figure that if train your grip strength, your forearms will naturally grow in response.

I feel as if I must cite some sources:
http://www.gripfaq.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_strength

sanga
02-19-08, 9:30 am
Mobster, who is a member here is the man to talk to, he competes in grip competitions and has a grip of steel, I never shake his hand.

LiftBig315
06-01-08, 7:34 pm
I ordered up a hand gripper. I was just wondering if any of you guys use them, and what kind of routine do you follow for them. How many sets, reps and all that good stuff...also for warm ups and anything to do with the routine I guess.

shizz702
06-01-08, 7:39 pm
Never used them but am a big fan of grip work. My favorite grip exercise is famer walks. I also deadlift without any straps.

Feel The Power
06-01-08, 7:40 pm
I have one at home that I use from time to time.. my gym has one that looks like a hack saw, but you can adjust the resistance which is helpful. I like to do it once a week after back day. Since I rely on my grip alot for deadlifts. I also borrowed an idea from KrazyAssMexican for grip work where you hold heavy dumbells for as long as you can.. usually 20-30 seconds.. and do 3 sets.

LiftBig315
06-01-08, 7:48 pm
I also wanna get away from straps on deads...I like using the conventional grip for them. I don't use them on the lighter sets of 8-10, but once I get into the 3-5 range I gotta use em.

BryanSmash!
06-01-08, 8:50 pm
What kind of gripper did you get? Hopefully a Captains of crush.

LiftBig315
06-01-08, 9:02 pm
of course, just didn't know if I should post up the name or not.

BryanSmash!
06-01-08, 9:12 pm
Ah, true. That kind of determines the answer to your question though.
Personally, I find that if you legitimatly close whatever level gripper you are on for 10-12 reps, you should be able to close the next # level up once. Ive found this works until you are trying to close the #3 because of the large jump of psi required to close it from the #2. Fortunately, they make grippers in half increments now, such as the 2.5 to make this easier. I'm assuming your goal is to close the #3 as well as build greater grip strength.

LiftBig315
06-01-08, 9:20 pm
yes sir, i would like to close the #3...so if I can get the one I ordered for 10-12,,go ahead and order the next level up> Or should I be working with a couple different grippers?

BryanSmash!
06-01-08, 9:38 pm
I'd order the next one up anyway. You can use it for two hand closing and negatives if you find you can't close it one handed right away.

LiftBig315
06-01-08, 10:24 pm
Right on, I will see how this one goes...maybe I will have to order one lower ;)

So as far as a routine, should I do like 3 sets of 10-12 or 5-6 or whatever I can get like I regularly do with my other training? Or does it come with an outline to follow.

Brick By Brick
06-01-08, 11:24 pm
I do plate pinches, wrist rollers, COC gripper #1 (can't close it), Harbinger gripper, DLs without straps, and farmer's walks. Also working in hub grippers and hex dumbbell grippers.

BryanSmash!
06-01-08, 11:54 pm
Right on, I will see how this one goes...maybe I will have to order one lower ;)

So as far as a routine, should I do like 3 sets of 10-12 or 5-6 or whatever I can get like I regularly do with my other training? Or does it come with an outline to follow.

CoC gripper training works just like regular weight training: You have to find out what works best for you. So experiment and have fun with it. Ironmind does have a book however, called "Captains of Crush grippers: what they are and how to close them." that they sell if you want to look further into it.
Personally, I like static holds. Just take an appropriate gripper and hold it closed for as long as possible. Fun.
Also, to do these progressively, take a piece of leather or cloth and attach it to a kids sand bucket handle. Fill the bucket with some sand or whatever, put the cloth or leather between the gripper handles, do a static hold and lift it off the ground for reps, or a specific period of time. When you reach your goal, throw another handful of sand into the bucket.
Credit for this exercise goes to John Brookfield.

BryanSmash!
06-01-08, 11:55 pm
I do plate pinches, wrist rollers, COC gripper #1 (can't close it), Harbinger gripper, DLs without straps, and farmer's walks. Also working in hub grippers and hex dumbbell grippers.

I love plate pinches.

killyouintheface
06-02-08, 1:08 am
The gym I go to just replaced all their dumbbells with the kind that has fat grip handles (instead of the kind that has the same diameter as the olympic barbells). I do shrugs with the dumbbells instead of barbells or the shrug racks, and it was surprising at first with the new dumbbells how much that fatter grip section tests your hands compared to the skinny grips.

BryanSmash!
06-02-08, 1:26 am
Thickbar training will surely test you grip like never before.

killyouintheface
06-02-08, 1:31 am
Thickbar training will surely test you grip like never before.

As a bonus, I like the knurling on the new dumbbells way better also.

I kind of wish they'd buy some barbells or ez-bars with the thicker diameter.

BryanSmash!
06-02-08, 2:41 am
As a bonus, I like the knurling on the new dumbbells way better also.

I kind of wish they'd buy some barbells or ez-bars with the thicker diameter.

Yeah I know how you feel. A good quality thick bar costs about 800 bucks, so its hard to convince the gym owners that we need one. That, and the fact that i'd probably be the only one using it, but hey, they dont need to know that.

powerhouse
06-02-08, 3:06 am
i never used straps for anything never even for deadlifts and i do alot of plate pinching farmers walk hanging from a chining bar with a towel around it wrist rollers i might get a coc but i dont no how much they are

LiftBig315
06-02-08, 6:04 pm
i never used straps for anything never even for deadlifts and i do alot of plate pinching farmers walk hanging from a chining bar with a towel around it wrist rollers i might get a coc but i dont no how much they are

20 bucks a pop...not bad I don't think...Do you use an alternate grip on the deadlift? I don't like the strain that puts on my bicep...so I stick to conventional even if it means using straps...but I really wanna get away from em as much as I can....I ordered the number 1...we will see how it goes.

jeff00z28
06-03-08, 12:55 am
shrugs and rows w/ a super skinny hard to grip dumbell always helped me. and just never owning straps. sometimes i think i would benefit from straps like on high rep deadlifts, shrugs, rows, lunges, etc but i don't want to get in the habbit

Maharg
06-03-08, 1:08 am
Yeah I know how you feel. A good quality thick bar costs about 800 bucks, so its hard to convince the gym owners that we need one. That, and the fact that i'd probably be the only one using it, but hey, they dont need to know that.

I have been to only one gym in all my travels that had a thick bar. Found it in the very farthest back corner, at the deadlift/squat station. Thing weighed prolly 75lbs!

Northman
06-03-08, 1:37 am
I have been to only one gym in all my travels that had a thick bar. Found it in the very farthest back corner, at the deadlift/squat station. Thing weighed prolly 75lbs!

One of the guys on this forum, gazzara, uses pvc pipe around his bars when he wants to make them "fat" bars. Perhaps you could give this a try.

Maccabee
06-11-08, 9:39 am
For grip strength just do the basics and it will come in time.

Farmers Walk, Behind The Back Wrist Curl, Reverse Curls,

Get rid of your straps if you use them...

Just train heavy with strict form and it will come. Also when I do deads at the last rep I usually hold the bar for a few seconds.

This is all I do and my grip strength is improving. Good luck.

shizz702
06-11-08, 5:22 pm
The best thing for my grip has been consistent deadlifting without straps.

futurefreak101
01-23-09, 10:51 pm
i found these grippers on bb.com that go up to 350 pounds....how hard would it be to close one? what is a good starting weight...i think the lightest one starts at like 100 pounds...did it make your forearms bigger?

Maharg
01-23-09, 10:58 pm
I have one of those grippers, but only the 200lber. But hell yes they help. I try and work grip a couple times a week, and since i have, i can hold on to much heavier weights for much longer. I used to have to strap in my deadlifts after just 315. now its 455 no straps. Start off with 100, then the 150 just to work up.

futurefreak101
01-23-09, 11:03 pm
I have one of those grippers, but only the 200lber. But hell yes they help. I try and work grip a couple times a week, and since i have, i can hold on to much heavier weights for much longer. I used to have to strap in my deadlifts after just 315. now its 455 no straps. Start off with 100, then the 150 just to work up.

ok cause i tried everything...i hate everything..straps gloves...not really a fan..just recently ordered animal straps..but wasnt really feeling them...i can deadlift 415 for a few good reps without anything..do you think the 150 grips would be to easy for me?

Maharg
01-23-09, 11:22 pm
ok cause i tried everything...i hate everything..straps gloves...not really a fan..just recently ordered animal straps..but wasnt really feeling them...i can deadlift 415 for a few good reps without anything..do you think the 150 grips would be to easy for me?

Yea i didnt know your numbers. Then you can honestly start off with the 200s. They arent that hard but is kind of difficult. so yea 200s a good place to start.

futurefreak101
01-23-09, 11:26 pm
Yea i didnt know your numbers. Then you can honestly start off with the 200s. They arent that hard but is kind of difficult. so yea 200s a good place to start.

thanks bro..not trying to waste money i dont got lol

Tron
01-23-09, 11:37 pm
Do they have a variable weight one anywhere?

sanga
01-24-09, 5:31 am
i found these grippers on bb.com that go up to 350 pounds....how hard would it be to close one? what is a good starting weight...i think the lightest one starts at like 100 pounds...did it make your forearms bigger?

Mobster is your man on here for grip info as far as I know, he is England and European grip champion and has a vice like grip.

Feel The Power
01-24-09, 8:37 am
my gym has the hand grippers with 2 springs in one so if you move the springs closer together its easier, but if you move them father out it makes more resistance. I would look for something all in one like this if you can find it. Google "captains of crush" they have lots of different things for grip strength.

I usually do this hand gripper after arm day at my gym, just 3-4 sets till failure. I am a big deadlifter and it definately has helped my grip on these.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/departments.asp?dept=7

futurefreak101
01-24-09, 12:29 pm
im just gonna order the ones from bb.com
im sure the ones that go up to 350 must be pretty fukin hard to close?

Feel The Power
01-24-09, 1:32 pm
hell yeah.. it took me a while to feel comfortable closing the 100lb ones..

im just gonna order the ones from bb.com
im sure the ones that go up to 350 must be pretty fukin hard to close?

prowrestler
01-24-09, 1:37 pm
i wouldnt buy one, i use dumbells instead and do the smae exercise and i can progressivly increase weights and it translates better into my deadlift.

another thing, take a clip that ud put on a barbell, take a 10 pound plate and close the clip on the 10 pound plate and hold it,really good one

brandonA
01-24-09, 1:42 pm
There are much better ways of training your grip than grippers...But if you are going to buy any, or you want some good info, check out this site...

www.ironmind.com

check out the captains of crush...they are pretty much a standard. plus you can see what the raiting are in poundage...

for example. I can close a 2.5 in either hand and it clocks in at around 200 i think....If you can close a #3 you are pretty damn stong.....and thats around 280....

Check out the www.gripboard.com ....more info on grip building than anywhere elas....

-B

brandonA
01-24-09, 3:06 pm
Here is another great website for solid info....

http://gripfaq.com/Hand_Strength_and_Grip_Strength_Tutorial/

-B

fenix237
01-24-09, 3:35 pm
i once read an article about old school strongmen (john grimek, reg park etc) and one guy said to develop a really strong grip is to fill a bucket with sand, then drive your hand down towards the bottom, squeezing the sand, and working your hand, flexing your fingers and hand in general

FarBeyondDriven
08-04-09, 2:39 am
What does everyone do to improve grip strength here? A weak grip is really holding back my deadlifting and shrugs and i would love to hear how you guys all get your grip strength up?

Amurai
08-04-09, 2:55 am
Kroc Rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jAIdoORxI

sanga
08-04-09, 7:42 am
Check out Mobsters log, the man has a vice like grip and is UK and European grip champion.

trainer89
08-04-09, 9:11 am
Kroc Rows:

a dumbbell that goes up to 225? geez. i remember seeing a video with a dumbbell that was 300 lbs. it was huge. the guy was also doing one arm bent over rows. crazy.

T o m m Y
08-04-09, 10:58 am
KRoc Rows Brotha!!!

BryanSmash!
08-04-09, 6:57 pm
Kroc Rows:

lol at the vise grips holding the plates on. Fucking awesome!

rlopez4550
01-22-10, 9:23 pm
Has anyone ever trained with Hand Grippers or any grip specific tools?

Ive been using a double overhand grip with 405 deadlifting to increase my grip strength but anything over 405 i have to use an over-under grip. Not a big fan of hook grips either...

I have been doing manila rope pull ups and some other grip training but am considering a hand gripper

Legacy
01-22-10, 11:23 pm
For grip strength man, do a lot of holding. Hold dumbbells in each hand as heavy as you can go and do it either standing in place or you can walk up and down the gym floor (farmers walk). Also hang from a pull up bar and try to hang on as long as you can. You can also do a lot of forearm work to build up some size and decent strength.

As far as those grip strength tools go, be careful as to which ones you buy if you do buy some. Most common ones are ones that you hold in your and squeeze together, all that works is your pinch grip strength and not actual hand and forearm grip strength.

Since forearms do play a role in strength, one product you can look into buy is the link I posted. Not gonna help with direct holding strength, but works the forearms real good. We used this in our strength and conditioning program for our players. Hope this helps bro

http://www.eiyc.com/hammer.htm

rlopez4550
01-23-10, 1:14 am
Well my issue is that with the heavy weight my fingers just start to slide open. I have been doing some farmers walks. Those are definetly one of my favorite exercises. That website is pretty sick ive never seen a lot of the stuff they have to offer.

Thanks bro ill check it out and send an update if i find anything good

Max-Angle
01-23-10, 1:41 am
I use a 300lb tension hand grip on both forearms after my forearm workout, i just hold it as closed as i can for as long as i can a couple times, good to finish up

ironshaolin
01-23-10, 8:48 am
Captains of crush makes a good gripper. A few other options to improve grip: After your regular deadlifts, try adding 5x10 deadlifts with a thick bar. You can do 5 sets of 10 reps, 5 sets of timed holds, singles, etc...working with a thick bar will definately improve grip. If you can even work up to like 70% of your current deadlift with a thick bar, you'll have no problem blowing past your current max with a regular bar.

Also, try kroc rows. Basically a dumbell row done for high reps with a heavy weight. Typically done for just one big set, no straps allowed! Matt Kroc has done these with 200lb dumbells for over 20 reps to give you an idea of what high reps and heavy weight is.

If you don't have access to a thick bar, get tylergrips or fat gripz. Then try doing various curls, rows, and pullups with them.

rlopez4550
01-23-10, 1:59 pm
Man thanks for all the info. I really wish we had some 2 inch bars at my gym. Lately I just make sure I buy my beer in cans and crush each one after I finish them. I get about 20 reps in though and im done!

t_mh
01-23-10, 5:10 pm
I think deadlifting as heavy as you can with a double over and dumbbell rows are the best. If you can double overhead 405 your grip can't be that bad.

BryanSmash!
01-23-10, 5:36 pm
do a lot of holding.

^This. Grippers aren't going to help much for your static hold strength.

shizz702
01-23-10, 5:52 pm
Get yourself a copy of Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik, has a good overview of everything you need to know for grip training.

rlopez4550
01-23-10, 6:03 pm
Oh boy... I already have T-rex arms but ill look into it! Hehe thanks

I have sort of a stigma as far as using straps... I just cant get myself to do it but in a few weeks i think ill try them out.

J A Y
01-23-10, 6:09 pm
Oh boy... I already have T-rex arms but ill look into it! Hehe thanks

I have sort of a stigma as far as using straps... I just cant get myself to do it but in a few weeks i think ill try them out.

no, straps are the enemy, serious post too, dont use them, they will do nothing for your grip...

work at it! adapt and overcome! NO STRAPS!

Legacy
01-23-10, 6:13 pm
^This. Grippers aren't going to help much for your static hold strength.

Just like bryansmash said, if you do buy something make sure it is for grip strength. The majority of things that people sell are "hand grippers" which only help you out for your pinching grip strength. When you started this thread im sure you were talking about isometric grip strength of just holding something like a heavy bar in your hand, so make sure you get what you need man, hate to see you buy the wrong piece of equipment and use it for a while and see no progress. Good luck bro

ironshaolin
01-23-10, 7:07 pm
Dude, get a pair of tyler grips. Then you don't have to "wish" your gym had a thick bar, you'll take a conversion kit with you. Just take a few weeks off your "current" grip routine, i.e. crushing beer cans.

rlopez4550
01-23-10, 7:31 pm
I had planned on taking a little time off deadlifting heavy and spend a few weeks on form so would should I just work the tyler grips into that or lift without them and use the tyler grips for a few sets after?

As far as taking a few weeks off of my 'current' routine... thats probably a good idea too and it would offset the cost of the tyler grips. Although the 5 cent return isnt bad

rlopez4550
01-23-10, 7:38 pm
Dude, get a pair of tyler grips. Then you don't have to "wish" your gym had a thick bar, you'll take a conversion kit with you. Just take a few weeks off your "current" grip routine, i.e. crushing beer cans.

My bad I hadnt seen that you mentioned the tyler and fatgripz up above there! Im checking them out now i think ill be ordering a pair soon.

The_Legacy
01-23-10, 9:13 pm
farmers walk definatly helps man, try grabs some 50kg dbs and walk around the gym a few times!

ironshaolin
01-24-10, 8:43 pm
What makes you want to take time away from deadlifting?

I'll tell you my experience with that. I had gotten myself up to a 375lb deadlift for 5 reps, and a 315lb squat for 5 reps about a year, maybe longer ago. Then I flatlined, and started losing reps. In retrospect, what I should've done was de-load for a week, then come back and work triples, or just drop the weight 90% and start again. Instead, I dropped both, and switched to front squats. I got pretty decent at those, working up to about 250x5, but when I came back I couldnt get 1 rep at 315 for the squat, and my dead was down to 365x1. So I started alternating, doing squats for 3 weeks, deads for 3 weeks, but everytime I came back I'd be weaker.

I've now taken up Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, and 2 weeks ago hit a 315 squat for the first time in a year. My deadlift is up to 380. From my experience, if you want to get good at a certain lift, DON'T drop it. De-load, work your way up, or drop your training max down a bit and work up again, but if you aren't practicing the lift you aren't getting better at it.

TheTinyHulk
01-25-10, 10:55 am
My bad I hadnt seen that you mentioned the tyler and fatgripz up above there! Im checking them out now i think ill be ordering a pair soon.

I'm a supporter of fatgripz. I like using them on pull/chin ups and some of my presses. Definately get a crazy forearm pump on the pulls/chins.

PORTERHOUSE
01-25-10, 12:51 pm
I always warm up on back day with towel pull ups. It helped my grip tremendously.

JustRIOT
01-25-10, 6:57 pm
i noticed when i do heavy cable rows for my back, my forearms get really pumped... i was wondering if that can help strengthen the grip too

Anihilator09
07-07-10, 11:55 am
I want to improve my grip strength so that I can be a better lifter. Any suggestions?

rmt0512
07-08-10, 12:27 pm
This is what I've done, and it's helped my grip a lot. I use a Smith Machine, get either a towel and wrap it around or use the squat pad (if your gym has one), just so you can't get your fingers all the way around the bar. Use a low weight (I use 140 lbs.) and just hold on as long as possible. If you can't hold for at least 30 seconds, you're using too much weight. You'll really feel the effects in the last 5-10 seconds of this exercise. Hope it helps out, brothers.