PDA

View Full Version : Eating at College

BigLansford
10-04-07, 1:09 pm
Doesn't it give you boys a great sense of triumph and accomplishment to walk past the pizza buffet and get more cottage cheese?

Freakshow
10-04-07, 1:11 pm
Doesn't it give you boys a great sense of triumph and accomplishment to walk past the pizza buffet and get more cottage cheese?

Yes and no. I would be lying if I said I never hit up the pizza line..haha.

Shogun Assassin
10-04-07, 1:16 pm
haha, at my college they had an omelet bar... and you could put anything in it. i would load my tray up with tons of veggies and had it with pure egg whites. ah those were the days.

and fuck the pizza line lol. the one they had at my school would just be old ass shit pizza that only the really fat kids would eat. if it was even remotely edible i might have snatched a piece or two a week, but it was just not worth it.

Riesjs
10-04-07, 1:16 pm
2 years removed for the college caf, actually had a lot of protein every night, it was pretty nice

G Diesel
10-04-07, 1:22 pm
I had my own crib sophomore year on up, but I'll tell you I made some of the best gains of my life crushing the school cafeteria freshman year. Peace, G

BigLansford
10-04-07, 1:22 pm
Man, you guys had it made.

Omelet bar? Not fair.

The best we have is all you can eat subs, burgers, and pizza.

brandonA
10-04-07, 1:31 pm
Spent 6 years in school and never ate in the cafiteria once....weird.....

-B

ghost
10-04-07, 1:33 pm
i avoided the caf. too many people got food poisoning at my school from it.

plus i had the college diet of Beer and Cookie Dough..lol.

brandonA
10-04-07, 1:36 pm
i avoided the caf. too many people got food poisoning at my school from it.

plus i had the college diet of Beer and Cookie Dough..lol.

Yea I drank my fair share of liquid bread (couple people's shares)...hahahaha...oh college....I miss it....but not enough to pay for it again....

-B

ghost
10-04-07, 1:40 pm
Yea I drank my fair share of liquid bread (couple people's shares)...hahahaha...oh college....I miss it....but not enough to pay for it again....

-B

hahaha i hear ya on that one.

Freakshow
10-04-07, 1:44 pm
Man, you guys had it made.

Omelet bar? Not fair.

The best we have is all you can eat subs, burgers, and pizza.

We have one on weekends, but weekday mornings they serve us some nasty ass scrambled eggs...but protein is protein.

I had my own crib sophomore year on up, but I'll tell you I made some of the best gains of my life crushing the school cafeteria freshman year. Peace, G

I hear ya on that, G. I have my own apartment right now and I have been utilizing the kitchen for sure.

Maccabee
10-04-07, 1:46 pm
I love the cafeteria they actually got healthy food in mine. Salads, potatoes, noodles, meat, fish...everything a guy on a bulk needs.

Cstlfx
10-04-07, 1:50 pm
I have the skankiest pizza at my cafe. I moved into an apartment complex so I could cook all my own food. That stuff was nasty.

Big Wides
10-04-07, 1:52 pm
used to pillage and plunder the caf at college....would take advantage of the food, even if it was bad. me and my roomates used to bring tuberware containers and take food and/or drinks back to where we lived. yes we had a full kitched but sometimes at night you dont feel like cooking or we were all beat from practice that day. always made sure to get at least 2 trays worth of food down the hatch

gsb239
10-04-07, 1:56 pm

I'm with G too... really thankful to have my own place. Second best thing to being at home, eating home cooked meals.

BigLansford
10-04-07, 2:21 pm
Yeah, I've got my own kitchen, and I've worn out two Foreman grills, but sometimes the caf is too convienient to pass up.

Ronnie Chop
10-04-07, 2:34 pm
I played football, ate at the caf, and went from 195# outta high school to 235# in two seasons, solid. I ate the pizza every now and then, but WAY too much cheese for me. But I went to an HBCU, so it was like having your grandmama in the kitchen...

BigLansford
10-04-07, 2:55 pm
Man, that's awesome.

I got a friend at Clark Atlanta now, and he says the food is amazing.

PocKetWizarD
10-04-07, 3:08 pm
Man, that's awesome.

I got a friend at Clark Atlanta now, and he says the food is amazing.

I hate injustice like that. my sis is in Canada and the college she goes to has food fit for a cruise ship =S

i down a lot of chinese and pizza at my school caf. sometimes i just feel so full of oil from that i know i NEED to hit the gym for sure after work the next day. i'm still bulking up but not eating clean makes me feel guilty sometimes even though i need to eat everything in sight =S

eph525
10-04-07, 3:20 pm
I hate injustice like that. my sis is in Canada and the college she goes to has food fit for a cruise ship =S

i down a lot of chinese and pizza at my school caf. sometimes i just feel so full of oil from that i know i NEED to hit the gym for sure after work the next day. i'm still bulking up but not eating clean makes me feel guilty sometimes even though i need to eat everything in sight =S

is it ok to eat the bad foods when bulking or is it best to stay away from them? cause i sure do miss some fast food. lol

Chin
10-04-07, 5:11 pm

He's not lying... its pretty damn good, I don't know about other places but my Caf isn't bad at all... Sometimes I go there for my morning eggs... more or less they try to listen to your needs as much as possible...

Chin

Shogun Assassin
10-05-07, 3:00 pm
oh man, at my school i lived in these piece of shit dorms... but their one bonus was that they had very small cafes at the bottom of each of the dorms... so there were 4 different ones in about a 50 foot radius. there were soooo many options everyday to choose from and it was like each dining hall was competeing with eachother... and all it cost you was one card swipe. they would do meals on demand (you could ask for a specific thing and they'd whip it up for you), my friends and i would do ice cream stands (kind of like a keg stand but on an ice cream machine), and on the day they were closing they had one lobster per person at each place... needless to say we all went around and got a lobster at each one. my friend couldnt eat his fourth one so i ended up having 5!!! now that, my friends, is what the college dining halls are all about.

PocKetWizarD
10-05-07, 3:56 pm
is it ok to eat the bad foods when bulking or is it best to stay away from them? cause i sure do miss some fast food. lol

when you're bulking you can literally eat most things. anything to help put on the weight, actually. personally, i try as much as possible to avoid things that are TOO oily like too much fries etc.

Bduub
06-05-08, 10:21 pm
Hey fellas this is my first post on the forum. I am a college athlete who has seen my fair share of weight programs and lifting. Finally I am on a legit program and seeing huge gains. My problem is maintaining weight and not fluctuating. I feel that if I can find a solid diet I can stop fluctuation weight so much. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am 6ft 3, with a target body weight of 265lbs. I can fluctuate between 260 and 280lbs in any given month. Right now I'm at about 280 and would like to drop down to 265 and stay there. Losing the weight is no problem but every time I try and maintain it I start gaining.

Right now the diet in which Ive gained from 265 is pretty similar to this.

7am-Shake w/skim milk
10am-1 egg yolk and 2 whites, 1 piece whole wheat toast, glass skim milk
1pm-Either turkey on whole wheat with no fat cheese and apple slices or my favorite tuna mix which is one package albacore tuna, 2tbspn Caesar dressing, diced celery and bacos on toast whole wheat. and 2-3 glasses water
6pm-1 lean chicken breast, broccoli, rice, and one slice whole wheat with no fat spread.
9pm-Shake w/skim milk

I was at 300lbs and quit drinking 4 nights a week and reached 260lbs, talk with my position coach ended up with a goal of 265lbs. I've gotten so much stronger just want to find a diet to help me now get to 265lbs and hopefully stay there, thank you very much.

GJN5002
06-05-08, 10:27 pm
youre not getting enough food for a dude your size that is very active.at 265 you need about 3700 calories just to maintain your weight. Other problem i see is there not enough protein.

Bduub
06-05-08, 11:05 pm
I train about 2-3hrs a day my routine looks like this
Mon-Bench, Power Clean, Power Shrugs, Shoulders, Tris, Abs, Cardio
Tue-Squat, Push Press, Romainian Deadlift, Bis, Abs, Cardio
Wed-Off
Thur-Hang Clean, Deadlift, Incline/Decline Bench, Shoulders, Abs, Cardio
Fri-Squat, Lunges, Goodmornings, Bis, Abs, Cardio

I must have a very slow metabolism. In HS i was 225lbs, in college it was mandatory for me to be 300lbs asap and did it all the wrong ways. New staff says now 265 is where to be and Im tired of gaining and losing. But it seems I gain weight on this diet and I am rather strict to it. Thank you.

T. Kemble
06-05-08, 11:09 pm
bro you need to revamp your whole diet. read the articles in my signature especially Powerful Eating part I.
that should set you on the right track

- tek

GJN5002
06-05-08, 11:36 pm
if youre college athlete shouldnt you have access to top notch trainers and sports nutritionists? Also, you should not be lifting weights for 3 hours cut down to closer to an hour.

musclealchemist
06-05-08, 11:42 pm
hey bro, i think you need to try to get more carbs in your diet and calories. Being as active as you are, you need to eat a lot. Being that you workout so hard and such, you need some fuel to lift those weights. I wouldnt worry about gaining weight to much if you are eat super clean, meaning no crappy food. But if you changing your diet a lil bit you should be ok.

Bduub
06-06-08, 12:23 am
Our trainers are top notch. We put in a new S&C program and saw my weights go up huge. I was also a technique player now I have the strength to compliment my already very good speed and technique. The diet they put me on called for something like 8,000 calories. I tried it for about 2 weeks and went from 260 to 278.... started cutting hard and got back to down to 260....now I am eating what previously stated and am back up to about 280. I mean I train hard, constant sweat throwing up big weights. Everything is for 4 sets of 10. Thanks again

Oatmeal Killa
06-25-08, 5:31 pm
Well im heading off to college in about a month and i am living in the dorms. Im a little nervous about the whole diet change bc i kno my diet will look a little different from eating fresh foods at home then going to the dorms. so if any of you that are in college and had a diet in college maybe you guys could give me advise or some hints on what you did you maintian a good diet that be great. Thanks to everyone that replys.

brandonA
06-25-08, 5:44 pm
Tons of info on this subject 'Killa.....

this will get you started...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6026&highlight=EATING+COLLEGE

-B

DEADn
06-25-08, 6:21 pm
I read some of the articles on dieting on a budget. I would agree with the ground beef chili. I personally take ground turkey and cook it. Once it is done I pour a whole can of kidney beans in and it turn the heat off and let it sit a few minutes. Then I scoop it out and put it into 2 rubber maid containers. It fills both of them up. I also take a scoop with a strainer that allows the excess juices and fats to drain out of it. This way I can get rid of some of the unhealthy fats. I heat it up and throw some ketchup on it and drink water. I eat this on both of my breaks at work.

People always coming up to make and making unwanted comments. I usually tell them that I am eating it and they aren't so GO AWAY. Albcore tuna is my other item I use as well because it has more protein than regular tuna.

btw, I am doing college as well but not living in a dorm. I went back to college after 16 years.

TEMPER
06-25-08, 6:31 pm
the food in the cafetaria at my dorms was pretty unhealthy.. alot of fried stuff, burgers, etc... the best thing i could find around to eat was at the salad bar.. id get me some greens and emtpy out the lil platter of sliced chicken breast... often hearing people talkin shit behind me like "he took all the chicken!" i also went home just about every weekend since it was just an hour away so i always came bak with tons of food from home.

Hannonman
06-25-08, 7:58 pm
At my school they grill chicken everyday. Its not always out so you may have to ask for it, but i never have a problem finding lots of grilled chicken and veggies and milk. Also bring containers with you to the dining halls and steal food to have in your room. Honestly getting enough to eat when in college is alot cheaper than having to buy enoguh food. I just went off a meal plan last year and im spending lots of cash on chicken from the store.

The Epidemic
06-28-08, 1:35 am
hot pan

Mutant
06-28-08, 2:12 am
Get a job and spend the money on food. It's hard and it sucks but it works for sure. Just remember to look for the deals at the store.

jarhead316
06-28-08, 10:01 am
Well...does your dorm have a kitchen? If so, then shop for your own food. If your parents are buying you a meal plan (which most colleges have) then ask them to just pay for groceries rather than a meal plan. If you are required to get a job then set your priorities first to whole foods, not booze...hey that rhymes.

I am still in college and I have a few simple strategies that the average working man has...

1. plan and prepare your meals ahead.
2. keep left overs in fridge
3. Almonds and other nuts/seeds to class

This all depends on if your dorm has a kitchen. If it has one of those community kitchens then try and store stuff in your own personal fridge.

Some foods to consider that are reasonably cheap:

Beans, Canned Tuna, Pasta , Eggs...those are just a few

waugie14
06-28-08, 10:09 am
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne6.htm

good article man, good luck

r-ace-f
06-28-08, 2:01 pm
it's not that tough man, u can make it happen. read up on all those articles and u can figure something out. i went to college and dorms this year and manage to do it after i went through all those articles before the beginning of the year. goodluck man

musclealchemist
06-28-08, 2:11 pm
tuna and rice will be your best friend. Get the tuna in the packets that are flavored, and put it over rice. I did that when i didnt have a kitchen. Its pretty good too. The salad bar will be your best friend too, because my caf sucks at everything but that.

TheDarkHalf
06-28-08, 10:03 pm
Go to the grocery store and buy some shit for your room. I had my parents buy my first batch of groceries, and I had a part time job throughout college so I always had food on hand. You could always try to find a part-time job on campus, a lot of those student jobs allow you to spend half of the time doing your homework.

Also, most universities generally have a website where you can check what's going to be served in the various cafeterias for the week. Once you get a feel for the food on campus, you'll be able to better select where and when you want to eat (some cafeterias are better than others!). Don't be afraid to ask some of the sophomores, juniors, and seniors where the best places are to eat. They've got the experience they should also be a help.

MetalAsh12
06-28-08, 11:33 pm
If you're in the South, Publix and Kroger have these bags of trimmed medium sized chicken breasts that you can just throw in the microwave for 6 minutes. They're called 'Healthy Choice Chicken Breasts.' It's a light blue bag with the AHA symbol on the bottom righthand corner. THey're light sodium and taste pretty damn good too. Those along with some instant rice and you're set.

HardGainer369
07-23-08, 1:51 pm
Im not sure if this goes under livin or diet..but i am in college and i searched on here but couldnt find anything about snacks at college.

so i was wondering if its ok to make 2-3 cups of oatmeal..mix it with yogurt and let it sit in ur backpack and throughout the day/classes would it be ok to eat? with a protein shake. or would it go bad? im making my schedule so i have classes right after another and i wont get time to eat..so im trying to figure out some snacks to bring...

thanks guys

so far i figured to bring 3 scoops of protein...mix it with water and drink when i am eating my oatmeal.

johnny7
07-23-08, 1:56 pm
peanuts were the easiest. just dont add water to the protein shake until you are going to drink it. eat the oats alone, yogurt may go bad in a backpack.

thelunchbox
07-24-08, 8:09 pm
I carry a giant lunch box that looks like a diaper bag. I have a ton of shit in it with plenty of ice pack it weighs more than my back pack. I have a crap schedule of up early gym at school then class then work then home so I am on the go from 6 am to 12pm some days. I carry tons of tuna and cottage cheese, triscuts, banannas, almond flax seed bars, luna bars, a bit of milk, and boiled eggs. You know what turns off a girl? You eating four boiled eggs with hot sauce during lecture. All my notes have stains on them. But she isnt trying to squat mount olympus.

HardGainer369
07-24-08, 9:08 pm
Hahaha, what can i mix with oats that wont go bad.. i usually use yogurt but will peanut butter be ok? i did that this morning and it was amazing..minus burning the roof of my mouth lol.

under7he13lood
07-24-08, 10:04 pm
I carry a giant lunch box that looks like a diaper bag. I have a ton of shit in it with plenty of ice pack it weighs more than my back pack. I have a crap schedule of up early gym at school then class then work then home so I am on the go from 6 am to 12pm some days. I carry tons of tuna and cottage cheese, triscuts, banannas, almond flax seed bars, luna bars, a bit of milk, and boiled eggs. You know what turns off a girl? You eating four boiled eggs with hot sauce during lecture. All my notes have stains on them. But she isnt trying to squat mount olympus.

LOL! Next time just look over and be like *yeah...i'm really strong.* then flex as you eat your next egg.

thelunchbox
07-27-08, 2:01 pm
LOL! Next time just look over and be like *yeah...i'm really strong.* then flex as you eat your next egg.

I will, I'll tell her I'm gonna put hot sauce on her and eat her like one of these eggs. That will get me some digits. But I wont let her drink out of my gallon water jug I carry around. ha

Devoted 2 Iron
10-24-08, 12:48 pm
I have always struggled with eating enough to grow. Being one with a very high metabolism, the food I eat just does not seem to translate into muslce gains. I eat six to seven times a day, consuming around 300 grams of protein and 400-450 grams of carbs on average. My daily calorie intake is around 6000 calories. Even with this diet, I cant break 200 lbs. Im currently at a steady 195 and cant get any bigger. That is only problem number one. Any advice?

Problem two is that getting quality food is tough for me now that Im in college. I only have three meals provided a day so the other three are out of my own pocket. I cant afford all the protein powder I have been consuming for much longer. Anyone have any ideas? I have to eat but dont have the wallet to match.

musclealchemist
10-24-08, 1:00 pm
getting some tuna over rice is an easy meal, plus some type of power bar (ie zone bars, marathon bars) those are good was to get your meals in.

On Letting Go
10-24-08, 1:06 pm
Add some gainer to your meals throughout the day.

Big Wides
10-24-08, 1:14 pm
I have always struggled with eating enough to grow. Being one with a very high metabolism, the food I eat just does not seem to translate into muslce gains. I eat six to seven times a day, consuming around 300 grams of protein and 400-450 grams of carbs on average. My daily calorie intake is around 6000 calories. Even with this diet, I cant break 200 lbs. Im currently at a steady 195 and cant get any bigger. That is only problem number one. Any advice?

Problem two is that getting quality food is tough for me now that Im in college. I only have three meals provided a day so the other three are out of my own pocket. I cant afford all the protein powder I have been consuming for much longer. Anyone have any ideas? I have to eat but dont have the wallet to match.

Dude there are a number of threads about eating in college. Here is what you do, instead of buying food, get Tubberware or food storage containers and stock up your fridge with food from the cafe. I am guessing its an all you can eat bonanza? If it is, while you are there eat whatever you want to, then after you are feeling full get more food but put it in the food storage things that you bring in with you in your backpack, fill them with food, head back to your room, put them in the fridge and you have some food for later.

simpleguy
10-25-08, 6:00 am
even being a hardgainer it's pretty weird you're not gaining on 6000 cals at 195lb... keep an eye on your training as well (like making sure you don't overtrain)... consider supps like creatine, m-stak, and make sure you have a good pre-intra-post w/o nutrition... supps like intra-aid, torrent, eaa nitro are very useful

also remember it is all a slow process which takes time, chances are you won't add more then 1-2 lb of lean mass in a month unless you are rebounding from a cut

Aggression
10-26-08, 1:00 pm
Try reading up on healthy fats. Add a good amount of peanut butter and olive oil to your diet. Everyone's body is different. Some people respond different to different diets, i.e., high protein, high carb, low fat VS. high protein, high fat, moderate carb. Add a serving or two of healthy fats per meal, and maybe lower ur carbs a bit. Also, do the Tupperware idea from BIGWIDES, its exactly what I did in college.

Devoted 2 Iron
10-27-08, 1:06 pm
I should continue to record my diet than? I analyze everything I eat on a website that tells me the calories, fats, carbs, and protein. Works pretty well but Im not sure if that is going overboard or not.

Maximum4
10-27-08, 1:21 pm
The best thing to do is throw as much food in a container as you can. That should give you an extra two meals or so. Then for your final meal try to whip up a shake before bed. Maybe drinking it before you go to bed can help you put on that extra weight you need.

Aggression
10-28-08, 11:00 am
The best thing to do is throw as much food in a container as you can. That should give you an extra two meals or so. Then for your final meal try to whip up a shake before bed. Maybe drinking it before you go to bed can help you put on that extra weight you need.

Def do the tupperware idea. Before bed, have a shake and a scoop or two of natty pb to help keep you satisfied through the night. the peanut butter will also help slow the digestion of the protein you take at night (unless its casein your taking, then u dont need pb)

bigmike08
12-17-09, 2:52 am
Alright guys, I have been out of the game for about 8 months...I have become that average college student that eats a frozen pizza a shit ton during the week....I know how to eat healthy and all that good stuff but so easy to just put something in the oven for 15 minutes then consume.

My question is what can I get that easy and healthy? I mean of course I know salad, tuna, ground turkey. But is there something that I should or could be having that is fast and healthy? Full of protein would be ideal. Im just at a point that I hate my body and what I have let it become. I suffered and injury over the summer and just haven't gotten back in the game.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also I live with 3 other guys that NEVER go to the weight room, so drinking 5 nights a week is pretty typical. Being around these guys is pretty hard to stick to a diet. Motivation is where I'm lacking I guess...help me out brothers...

Mike

ryan23
12-17-09, 4:26 am
hey man sorry dont mean to sound brash but stop making excuses....cut the beer and pizza and if the friends dont understand why you are doing it then cut them as well....you have to make a decision on what you want and if you are dedicated and serious enough the first two things i suggested will be simple....but as for quick and easy...grab some protein, oats, and a fat source (almonds, pb, almond butter, various oils), mix in a bowl with water cinnamon and splenda if you want stir and eat it cold or microwave....so quick and easy less than 3 minutes and even less time if no microwave. Have to manage the amount though depending on your macros

prepare your food ahead of time when you have free time, nothing like living out off of tubberware meals......sorry if i came off as an ass not my intentions at all i just think tough love is better than someone holding your hand and telling you it will be okay....you can do it the best luck to you STAY STRONG haha.

Mizzarler
12-22-09, 5:10 am
You know what turns off a girl? You eating four boiled eggs with hot sauce during lecture. All my notes have stains on them. But she isnt trying to squat mount olympus.

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Jonisocool
12-23-09, 4:21 am
invest in a george foreman grill and rice cooker!

Brown rice is 47 cents a pound. 5 bucks, and you wont need rice for awhile.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts come in giant bags from costco

top round is usually pretty lean and 2.99-3.99lb at albertsons/safeway. it always go's on sale. just pickup a newspaper weekly and check out albertsons/safeways sales on meat.

5 dozen eggs are usually 7 bucks

Old fashioned oats are around 50 cents ish a pound too. Cheaper to buy them in bulk, then packaged.

if you dont care how bland your meals are, you can get a weeks worth of this stuff for under 40 bucks a week.

Salsa/hot sauce may spruce up the eggs and rice.

cut up the chicken into strips and put it in salad mix to bling that up a bit too.

hope that helps

hrdwork
03-24-10, 6:15 pm
Hey guys,

I haven't posted on here in a while and I am looking for some diet help. I am in college and my class schedule makes it hard to get meals in (Most of my classes are in the morning and food is not allowed). I also cannot afford to buy a lot of extra food because my fraternity meal plan is what i have to make due with most of the time. Please help me out and make some good suggestions and corrections!
I am 5'11' 170lb about 8% bf.

Here is the bulking diet I did over the summer but it didn't produce a whole lot of results.

Meal 1(8:30 am):
- 8 eggs (4 Whole, 4whites only) mixed with deli ham
-Whey Shake (1 banana, Scoop of Natty PB, Oats)
-Animal Pak

Meal 2(10:30 am):
-Can of tuna
-PB sandwich on whole wheat bread

Snack:
-2 scoops of whey

Meal 3(1:30 pm):
(Pre workout)
-2 turkey sandwiches
-Animal Stak

30 min. Before workout
-Animal Pump

Immediately after workout
-Animal Nitro
-Real Gains

Meal 4 (3:00 pm):
(Post workout)
-1 8 oz Chicken breast
-1 cup of Brown rice

Meal 5 (5:30 pm):
-8-10 oz Ground beef
-Baked Potato

Meal 6 (8:30 pm):
-Real Gains

Meal 7 (before bed):
-2 scoops whey
-2 tbsp peanut butter

I am looking to get to around 185lbs over the next few months without gaining a whole lot of extra bf.

Thanks for reading!

PORTERHOUSE
03-24-10, 6:32 pm
Just at a glance, Meal 1 is probably a little too much protein and fat.

It looks like you have the right idea, but if I were in your shoes I might try and scale back the fat intake. Save the PB for before bed w/ a casein shake (like your meal 7). Meal 1 would probably be better if it looked more like this:

8 whole eggs
1 cup oats

again, in meal 2, I would drop the PB from the sandwich, etc etc etc...

Personally, I try and avoid extra fat when Im bulking. Except for the eggs in the morning and the PB/casein meal at night, i stick with meals that are protein/carbs sources only. Its clean and mean.

Legacy
03-25-10, 12:46 am
Same as above man, meal 1 is too much protein. 8 eggs is 48 grams of protein, too much for you. Gaining weight is all about excess calories, but you want to have a good balance of your macronutrients. Since your in college man and I am sure your on a budget, oats are a great source of carbs for a cheap price. When I was in college, every meal that had carbs in it came from oats, I love them. Sandwiches are also good cheap meals as is ground beef. Not sure where you live, but go out and hunt a deer or have a friend do it and that meat will last you a while. Also, if you eat in the cafeteria and are able to eat all you want each time you go, bring tupperware with you and after you eat, fill the tupperware up with another meal. Here is an article from G Diesel about being big on a budget. Good read.

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=290

C.Coronato
03-25-10, 9:55 am
I disagree on eating 8 eggs is too much. I think thats perfect.

Dont have any strait whey shakes. Add Oats, PB, Whole milk, bananas, ect to it.

I lived off eggs, oats, rice, potatoes, tuna, pasta, and bulk burgers in college. May not have been the most healthiest but it made me grow. Go to Costco or something like that and pick up the boxes of burgers that have like 200 burgers in them. I used to have 4-5 patties after training and a solid weight gainer shake

Legacy
03-25-10, 10:04 am
I disagree on eating 8 eggs is too much. I think thats perfect.

Dont have any strait whey shakes. Add Oats, PB, Whole milk, bananas, ect to it.

I lived off eggs, oats, rice, potatoes, tuna, pasta, and bulk burgers in college. May not have been the most healthiest but it made me grow. Go to Costco or something like that and pick up the boxes of burgers that have like 200 burgers in them. I used to have 4-5 patties after training and a solid weight gainer shake

My bad, I meant the 8 eggs was too much because he was also drinking a whey shake with it, forgot to add that part. The kid is only 170.

C.Coronato
03-25-10, 10:07 am
My bad, I meant the 8 eggs was too much because he was also drinking a whey shake with it, forgot to add that part. The kid is only 170.

Ahh ok. My mistake. Then yes, i agree 8 eggs, AND a shake is too much. Agreed!

hrdwork
04-05-10, 2:06 pm
ok ill definitely scale back my first meal. any other suggestions you guys have?

Goliathus
04-05-10, 2:31 pm
What is your meal plan like?
I know when I was in college, I could go and eat and eat and eat nonstop man

I would go in during breakfast and just dominate: eggs, belgian waffles ,biscuts and gravy.

Go in for lunch every day, eat whatever I wanted
And the same for dinner..

newtrainer55
10-26-10, 10:10 am
Trying to be a bodybuilder at college.

Anyone have to do this? Tips, tricks, hints? Do you buy your own food or just eat what the college gives you? Post up your experiences.

Wreck
10-26-10, 10:39 am
Buy your own food at the grocery story and learn how to cook. It will save you TONS of money and is much healthier. Don't by the meal plan at school it's just a waste of your money and no to many healthy options there. I find it easiest to cook most of my food for the week in 1 or 2 days. Cook up a bunch of chicken breast, rice, boiled eggs etc. and just keep them in the fridge so you can pack them and go whenever you need them. Good luck

Imjorman
10-26-10, 11:40 pm
Buy your own food at the grocery story and learn how to cook. It will save you TONS of money and is much healthier. Don't by the meal plan at school it's just a waste of your money and no to many healthy options there. I find it easiest to cook most of my food for the week in 1 or 2 days. Cook up a bunch of chicken breast, rice, boiled eggs etc. and just keep them in the fridge so you can pack them and go whenever you need them. Good luck

What would you say to someone whose college doesn't allow not purchasing a meal plan. We don't have a "plan" per say. Its built into living expenses and it allows us to eat anytime we want from 7 AM to 7 PM, as many times. For the average guy its sweet, but for me - its a blow hard.

C.Coronato
10-27-10, 11:17 am
Here are some ideas my man:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?11278-Eating-at-College

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?23427-The-College-Cut

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?21107-Dirty-bulking-in-college

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?27930-Bulk-diet-in-college

Aggression
10-27-10, 12:33 pm
niCe links, CC.

I wasn't a competitive bodybuilder while in college, though I did consider myself a bodybuilder. For the most part, I ate what the dining halls offered. I made the best choices in terms of food. Mornings were eggs, oatmeal and maybe a banana. For lunch and dinner, the one chef made fresh turkey burgers and chicken breasts, so we feasted on that. It got to the point where our chef set aside chicken for my roommate and I because she knew we were coming! Great. I would also fill up shakers with milk to save and put in my room's fridge. I'd grab some bananas too. You have the option for good choices in most college dining halls. I also bought chicken and other foods to cook up in the community kitchen we had and then our final year I had my own kitchen which made things a lot easier. You can get the job done. It all comes down to discipline.

jesse45690
10-28-10, 3:09 pm
I'm in college now and I work with the shitty situation that I have. I'm only a sophomore, which means where I go I have to have a meal plan and live in a dorm. All I have to cook is a microwave. There's several dining hall on campus, I just know from experience which one's are the best for me. I choose the best choices I can in the dining halls. When I'm not in the halls there's tuna, and pre cooked chicken in cans or whatever. Oatmeal can be cooked in the microwave as well. I have to add a couple protein shakes in there and I'm fine. Not perfect, but it's the best I can work with at this point in my life.

Aggression
10-28-10, 3:14 pm
I'm in college now and I work with the shitty situation that I have. I'm only a sophomore, which means where I go I have to have a meal plan and live in a dorm. All I have to cook is a microwave. There's several dining hall on campus, I just know from experience which one's are the best for me. I choose the best choices I can in the dining halls. When I'm not in the halls there's tuna, and pre cooked chicken in cans or whatever. Oatmeal can be cooked in the microwave as well. I have to add a couple protein shakes in there and I'm fine. Not perfect, but it's the best I can work with at this point in my life.

Amen. I did exactly the same thing. In the room, I'd have tuna, oatmeal, and protein shakes. I tried having 4 whole food meals a day and then 2 shakes.

Here is a short list of just a few Get Big foods to stock in your dorm room for college:
- whole wheat bagels
- tuna
- oatmeal
- protein powder
- peanut butter
- cottage cheese
- bulk protein powder (I used to buy the big 6lb bags from Costco/BJs for ~$35)

I always had these stocked on top of my fridge.

rmt0512
11-01-10, 12:57 am
I always used to get a tray load of sandwiches made when I went to the dining hall, and just wrap them up and eat them throughout the day until dinner time. Also, make friends with the kitchen staff, they'll hook you up.

Howitzer
11-01-10, 2:13 am
I was in the same situation last year. Had to hit up school meals. I definitely put on some quality mass though, and here's how.

Morning time: Eat as many hardboiled eggs as they let you take. Hit up fruit from the salad bar. I liked eating melon. Grits are ok, oatmeal is better.

Midmorning: Get your shake on.

Lunch: Huge salad, the leanest meats you can find, some kind of complex carb. If you're doing cardio then pasta is okay (moderation)

Mid afternoon: Find yourself a snack. Make yourself a sandwich. Do you have a mini fridge? Cottage cheese is also good.

Evening: Dinner. Eat big. Chicken of any type, beef patties, brown rice, another huge salad

Workout

Keep oatmeal and protein powder in your room for post workout. My best games came during school when I religiously ate a huge dinner before workout, and 2 scoops of oatmeal 2 scoops of whey afterwards.

Cheers man. I know it's not specific, but you need to look for the healthiest options and eat as much of those as you can. That's the secret.

Howitzer

Aggression
11-01-10, 8:36 am
nice points, Howizter. That's how I did it up at college.

I always used to get a tray load of sandwiches made when I went to the dining hall, and just wrap them up and eat them throughout the day until dinner time. Also, make friends with the kitchen staff, they'll hook you up.

Probably the best advice for a young, hungry bodybuilder at college ^^

jonathanhaze
11-16-10, 12:06 pm
Use of campus facilities can also help maintain good nutrition. If you have food allergies, food allergies or dietary preferences, and tell the campus food services director. Meeting with the dietitian if you have college experience changes in weight or appetite.