PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow

doomsdaylover
01-24-07, 1:19 am
a combination of sports and heavy skull crushers have rendered my elbow in great pain. the very tip, around where the funny bone is, hurts constantly on triceps day to the point where I can't do extensions anymore.

Is this normal and how do I heal it up? What else can I do for triceps to build mass besides dips and skulls?

Evaniel
01-24-07, 2:06 am
When I first started showing symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome, I assumed it was tendonitis and did a lot of reading and consulting. Here are some tips:

-Ice, Ice, Ice. An exercise science guy/trainer for the USOEC told me that when he started developing tendonitis, what he did for about a week was take two bags of frozen peas and iced his elbows. Twenty minutes on, twenty off and repeat twice more. He said that was all he needed.

-Some physicians will tell you that tendonitis is an inflammation, and that anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen will help you. Others disagree; check wikipedia for the whole shebang.

-Rest. Sometimes you gotta take it on the chin and consider a week or two off.

-Lightening your load. Try sticking with weights that you might be able to do 15 to 20 of and focus on maintaining/getting cardio until your elbows have had time to heal.

-Supplements. Our own Animalpak has Flex, which is a joint-oriented supplements. Glucosamine/chondroiton are also recommended.

Hope this helps!

TheSolidC
01-24-07, 7:48 am
a combination of sports and heavy skull crushers have rendered my elbow in great pain. the very tip, around where the funny bone is, hurts constantly on triceps day to the point where I can't do extensions anymore.

Is this normal and how do I heal it up? What else can I do for triceps to build mass besides dips and skulls?

bro i had that condition and i would tell u to ice for a while and stay off all training for a couple of weeks at the very least! then when adding mass to those triceps i would say try close grip bench press as a substitute.

Good-Riddance
01-24-07, 10:32 am
Animal FLex, since taking it, I dont get the pain in my elbow's anymore when doing skull crusher's

Stretch
01-24-07, 1:00 pm
When I first started showing symptoms of cubital tunnel syndrome, I assumed it was tendonitis and did a lot of reading and consulting. Here are some tips:

-Ice, Ice, Ice. An exercise science guy/trainer for the USOEC told me that when he started developing tendonitis, what he did for about a week was take two bags of frozen peas and iced his elbows. Twenty minutes on, twenty off and repeat twice more. He said that was all he needed.

-Some physicians will tell you that tendonitis is an inflammation, and that anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen will help you. Others disagree; check wikipedia for the whole shebang.

-Rest. Sometimes you gotta take it on the chin and consider a week or two off.

-Lightening your load. Try sticking with weights that you might be able to do 15 to 20 of and focus on maintaining/getting cardio until your elbows have had time to heal.

-Supplements. Our own Animalpak has Flex, which is a joint-oriented supplements. Glucosamine/chondroiton are also recommended.

Hope this helps!

^^^^^
I think that about wraps it up, I have had the same problem for years.

Maccabee
01-24-07, 1:46 pm
There are so many things you can do for example try taking a little time off and rest it, you can use ice like Evaniel said, go a little lighter. I also used a supplement for my joints and it seemed to help. Good Luck man

tekky
07-11-07, 12:54 am
Alright brothers, I know this topic has been discussed in other threads but I'm looking for opinions on a particular issue. I have tennis elbow for about a month now and I've taken about 3 weeks off from training so far. My question is should I just keep up the diet and cardio until all pain in the elbow goes away or should i slowly ease back into my routine with some pain but do exercises that do not stress the injury? Also some relevant information is that I'm not training for a completion or anything, it just kills to be away from the gym for as long as I've been away. Thanks brothers

hjayss
07-11-07, 3:57 am
easy going in the gym when you get back at it..time heals all wounds like this..you will know when it is time and the time of wil morethan likely help you gain some strength as you are rpairing those muscle...

extremenergy3
07-11-07, 4:17 am
I had tennis elbow for a bit as well. I stopped all tricep exercises for a month and it went away. You kinda gotta stick to the compounds that would triceps though... basically all upper body presses. But if it hurts, stop.

Stretching helps a lot. I'm sure you remember them from gym class in middle school :P Stretching an hour before workouts and immediately post. Short stretching between sets/exercises helps momentarily... Glucosamine is also a livesaver! But yeah. Hope this helps!

tekky
07-11-07, 1:40 pm
thanks guys, yeah i've been taking flex and making sure i'm taking it easy, its just hard and I just wanted to know how some others have dealt with tennis elbow.

BigAnt
07-11-07, 1:48 pm
Alright brothers, I know this topic has been discussed in other threads but I'm looking for opinions on a particular issue. I have tennis elbow for about a month now and I've taken about 3 weeks off from training so far. My question is should I just keep up the diet and cardio until all pain in the elbow goes away or should i slowly ease back into my routine with some pain but do exercises that do not stress the injury? Also some relevant information is that I'm not training for a completion or anything, it just kills to be away from the gym for as long as I've been away. Thanks brothers---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from over use....ice and rest are #1

heat prior exercise with a neoprene elbow sleeve, do wrist curls-rev wrist curls...

you have to train in a pain free zone...

take flex and keep your protein high for healing...

Flash419
10-26-07, 5:59 pm
Got a sharp pain starting on my forearm, right near my elbow, and running down the bottom of my forearm to my pinky. Anybody had this? Had it looked at by a doctor? Basicly any excercise where I have to keep my wrist locked unsupported sends a sharp pain up my arm. Ex... side dumbbell laterals, high cable rear laterals... any ideas?

Just trying to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I saw some tennis elbow bands, that strap around your forearm near the elbow. Just wondering before I spend the money if this is my problem or.... ?

naturalguy
10-26-07, 7:05 pm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from over use....ice and rest are #1

heat prior exercise with a neoprene elbow sleeve, do wrist curls-rev wrist curls...

you have to train in a pain free zone...

take flex and keep your protein high for healing...

Doing the wrist curls are key!!

I had golfer's elbow which is the same as tennis but on the inside of the elbow. I struggled with it for almost a year, I rested and iced a ton but it did not start to get better until a doctor told me to do wrist curls. It got better within a week and continued to get better quickly.

Your injury is caused by overuse and a strength imbalance. Do your wrist curls diligently. Start light and do them 3 x per week. 3 sets around 12-15 reps and reverse wrist curls also as BigAnt pointed out.

naturalguy
10-26-07, 7:07 pm
Got a sharp pain starting on my forearm, right near my elbow, and running down the bottom of my forearm to my pinky. Anybody had this? Had it looked at by a doctor? Basicly any excercise where I have to keep my wrist locked unsupported sends a sharp pain up my arm. Ex... side dumbbell laterals, high cable rear laterals... any ideas?

Just trying to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I saw some tennis elbow bands, that strap around your forearm near the elbow. Just wondering before I spend the money if this is my problem or.... ?

I would have a doc diagnose it to be sure. If it is tennis elbow then that strap will help.

Machine
10-26-07, 8:24 pm
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/dethtuch/100_0649.jpg

This is what "tennis elbow" can lead to if ignored for too long. I have endured this tedious , annoying , bullshit injury that took my pressing power back to ZERO and fucked up my training for too long. Pay attention to the signs and symptoms your body gives you...it could save you alot of pain and lost time in the weightroom. This is a complete triceps tendon rupture , requiring open surgery with placement pins. BE SMART...

MACHINE

TufffGuY
10-26-07, 8:26 pm
Look at those stretch marks...DAMN!!!!!

Flash419
10-26-07, 8:34 pm

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/dethtuch/100_0649.jpg

This is what "tennis elbow" can lead to if ignored for too long. I have endured this tedious , annoying , bullshit injury that took my pressing power back to ZERO and fucked up my training for too long. Pay attention to the signs and symptoms your body gives you...it could save you alot of pain and lost time in the weightroom. This is a complete triceps tendon rupture , requiring open surgery with placement pins. BE SMART...

MACHINE

So.. does what I got sound like Tennis Elbow? If so ... do the straps work? how about the reverse wrist curl idea?

Thanks

PowerBuilder
10-28-07, 11:39 pm
dont do preacher curls or skull crushers it puts alot of stress on it u cant even do biceps ... i had it and couldnt bench for like months.. just try 2 use machines that dont put pressure on it .. dont go heavy ull fuck it up.. i got a cortizone shot nd it helped a little .. it happened like 7 months ago for me nd my elbow is still not 100% its always poppin nd crackin nd shit nd i cant go real heavy or it hurts.. its a fuckin terrible injury man but ull get through it .. what you cant do in the gym make up in the kitchen nd fuckin perfect ur diet

IRBS
10-29-07, 7:24 am
Find a Doctor of Chiropractor in your area that is certified in ART. It will do wonders for your elbow. Has for mine.

RenegadeRows
12-31-07, 4:12 pm
Anyone have this? it only happens when I workout the bicep and it kinda hurts to straighten my arm out all the way. Feels kinda like tennis elbow but instead of having a locked elbow, the part where the bicep connects with the joint kinda locks up and is tight as hell. Stretching it out helps a little bit for a while but it goes back to getting tight again.

Anyone have this happen? if so, you guys know anything that works (stretches, icing, whatever) that can relax the muscle?

Vader
12-31-07, 8:20 pm
I am not sure if what you have is Tennis Elbow. That is actually damage to the muscles and tendons of your forearm extensor muscles. If you have pain in the arm when you move your wrist around, you probably have tennis elbow.
With that said, you might have strained your bicep near the elbow insertion. Either way, take a few workouts off from bicep training, yeah it sucks, but you will be glad you did.
Apply Ice a few times a day to reduce inflammation. I would get some massage to break up the spasm and promote healing. Heat can be used as it starts feeling better to increase blood flow, delivering oxygen and nutrients to the area, further increasing healing, and loosening the area up. It should feel better in a few weeks, sart slow with the bicep training. Stretching the area (bicep and forearm extensors and flexors) as you rehab will also prevent reinjury.

pmug0000
12-31-07, 9:20 pm
I had some hardcore tennis elbow a couple months back, and couldn't do upper body work for about three weeks (I did work the hell out of my legs though).

If you do have chronic tendon problems in your arms, one thing you should try which helped me a lot is to choose dumbbell curls with a neutral grip more often than barbell curls. For whatever reason these didn't bother my arm at all.
Same goes for preacher curls, incline curls, or whatever bicep exercises you do. Just try for a slightly more neutral grip rather than the typical underhand grip, and you might find this much more comfortable.

joe-yamma
12-31-07, 11:27 pm
BigAnt is usually good at answering these types of questions... maybe shoot him a pm or post in the "Ask BigAnt" thread.

my advice would be to give bi's a week off or so. i don't think you can ever go wrong by trying to stretch more before your workout (before during and after) and make sure you get good warmup sets in before you push hard.

advil and ice after workout probably can't hurt either.

LegendKillerJosh
01-01-08, 8:01 pm
I just ordered some extremely tight elbow sleeves from inzer. They are seriously hardcore, they have 3 straps on each one.

RenegadeRows
01-01-08, 10:50 pm
wow thanks guys. Switching from barbell to DB curls helped a bit. I think I might have to go to a sports store and see if they have those brace things too. I took a about 4 days off training totally to let it heal. Seems like it is doing a little better since day 1

TylerC
01-01-08, 11:05 pm
I just ordered some extremely tight elbow sleeves from inzer. They are seriously hardcore, they have 3 straps on each one.

my gym has several of these laying around that people use. I've used them before and they help but they cut into my arm seriously bad, i mean to a bleeding point. Plus it takes another guy to help you get them on right. But that being said, they do work.

hjayss
01-02-08, 1:15 am
http://www.righthealth.com/Health/Tennis_Elbow_Symptoms/-od-definition_adam_1%25252F0004491-s

Addicted_2iron
07-13-09, 12:01 am
I have never played tennis but in highschool i had tendonitis but it went away for a while. now the back of my elbow is killng me again even when im not lifting. anybody got any problems like this?

pmug0000
07-13-09, 1:55 pm
Yeah I had it bad for a while. When it was at its worst I couldn't do any upper body training for 3 or 4 weeks. What helped the most for me was constant icing and wearing an elbow sleeve for most of the day. Also taking animal flex I think has been a big asset in keeping the problem from flaring up again. And if icing, rest, and the elbow sleeve aren't enough look into getting some equine liniment.

Addicted_2iron
07-14-09, 7:08 pm
itd be arite if i do some back workouts and of course legs right?
theyve been laggin anyway

pmug0000
07-15-09, 12:13 pm
itd be arite if i do some back workouts and of course legs right?
theyve been laggin anyway

If it feels fine on your elbow then absolutely, do it up

conjugalburns
04-07-11, 7:21 am
I had to go and buy a "Tennis Elbow" support type thing, haha don't know what its called. I've seen Brad rocking them in his videos though. My progress has kind of been up and down though lately because of my tendons. Every time I do Skull crushers I feel like my arms are about to tear apart and I've stalled at 105. Working Chest today, and hopefully this thing will work!

MRmichael.hooker
04-07-11, 7:23 am
I had to go and buy a "Tennis Elbow" support type thing, haha don't know what its called. I've seen Brad rocking them in his videos though. My progress has kind of been up and down though lately because of my tendons. Every time I do Skull crushers I feel like my arms are about to tear apart and I've stalled at 105. Working Chest today, and hopefully this thing will work!

Let us know after the workout

BarbellManiac
04-07-11, 7:29 am
Lot's of rest and rice, that's how I healed mine.

zubda345
04-07-11, 7:47 am
Whenever I do skullcrushers I also feel like my arms and specially forearms are gonna tear out.... 1st I thought I don't have the correct form but I have the form right it's just the way my arms are takin the weight... I am not worried about it. I am gonna do crushers today but still I don't have any "Worries" in my mind about it.

xVOYCEx
04-07-11, 8:15 am
Tennis Elbow is a result of an action at the wrist, likewise with Golfer's Elbow. Tennis Elbow or lateral epicondylitis, is an overuse injury creating microtears along the extensor (for the wrist) mass along the lateral aspect of your elbow. Try passively stretching your wrist downwards, then apply pressure to the top of your hand and try extending your wrist upwards. Pain in either direction is a good indication that it truly is Tennis Elbow.

How often do you work your forearms? Or more specifically perform reverse wrist curls or reverse curls?

Sure the old fashioned R.I.C.E (rest,ice,compression,elevation) helps, but a recent study came out discussing that ice may actually hamper the healing process my not allowing the body to inflame and bring the need chemical mediators to the injury site.

Exercise is the best rehabilitation.

Bruiser
04-07-11, 8:28 am
Tennis Elbow is a result of an action at the wrist, likewise with Golfer's Elbow. Tennis Elbow or lateral epicondylitis, is an overuse injury creating microtears along the extensor (for the wrist) mass along the lateral aspect of your elbow. Try passively stretching your wrist downwards, then apply pressure to the top of your hand and try extending your wrist upwards. Pain in either direction is a good indication that it truly is Tennis Elbow.

How often do you work your forearms? Or more specifically perform reverse wrist curls or reverse curls?

Sure the old fashioned R.I.C.E (rest,ice,compression,elevation) helps, but a recent study came out discussing that ice may actually hamper the healing process my not allowing the body to inflame and bring the need chemical mediators to the injury site.

DAMN. Thanks for the deatailed info bro. I like the way you broke things down. I appreciate it.

naturalguy
04-07-11, 8:37 am

I couldn't agree more. I battled golfer's elbow for over a year. I finally went to a good orthopedic doc who understands athletes and he had me fixed in 2 weeks by simply doing wrist curls (light, high reps) for both sides. He said my injury was caused by an imbalance in my forearm muscles.

Big D
04-07-11, 9:32 am
I couldn't agree more. I battled golfer's elbow for over a year. I finally went to a good orthopedic doc who understands athletes and he had me fixed in 2 weeks by simply doing wrist curls (light, high reps) for both sides. He said my injury was caused by an imbalance in my forearm muscles.

you got golfer's elbow from jaggggggin off too much NG.. its ok your secret is safe with me.

but back to topic.. i had it bad tendonitus when i played football in college in my elbows.. and stretchin like above but also pointing your fingers down with your palm away from you and stretchin that way helped as well...

naturalguy
04-07-11, 10:37 am
you got golfer's elbow from jaggggggin off too much NG.. its ok your secret is safe with me.

I am just a man Big D

Big D
04-07-11, 11:02 am
I am just a man Big D

no judgement here