PDA

View Full Version : What are those bands on football players arms?

BigBlueBear
10-22-07, 11:06 pm
Simple enough as the topic says... I see a lot of guess now using what looks like thin elastic bands around the upper portion of their arms and something right above the elbow itself. Is their any purpose to this (like numbing the arms to hits, restrict bloodflow incase of bleeding, etc) or is this just another fashion statement?

adidas
10-22-07, 11:14 pm
fashion

Young&Hungry
10-22-07, 11:31 pm
Just a fashion statement. The #1 high school running back in Connecticut, Alex Thomas, already has well over 1,500 yards in just six games and doesn't wear a single extra thing with his uniform, not even Under Armor. His helmet, however, is completely covered in the opponent's helmet color.

It's about how well you play, not how well you look like you can play.

adidas
10-23-07, 1:13 am
Just a fashion statement. The #1 high school running back in Connecticut, Alex Thomas, already has well over 1,500 yards in just six games and doesn't wear a single extra thing with his uniform, not even Under Armor. His helmet, however, is completely covered in the opponent's helmet color.

It's about how well you play, not how well you look like you can play.

unless you're Micheal Irvin...then it's about both.

BigBlueBear
10-23-07, 1:21 am

We make the Cowboy reference without even thinking of Deion?! I kid I kid.

I kept debating it over with myself if it was fashion or what not. It was easy I guess to assign some logical idea to the whole deal, but with as loose as they seemed to fit I couldn't see it being much help.

spyderman4g63
10-23-07, 2:34 am
My dad uses a band (not exactly the same as the football players) above his elbow because of tendinitis.

SpartanGlory96
10-23-07, 11:51 am
we mainly wear it for looks, also sort of advertising the Co. UnderArmour is the SHIT! but yea if you feel good about how you look it can sorta make you a feel a little badass and even help u play better in some ways. Believe me, Ive been there and still doing it. But nothing beats tears in your jersey and paint all over ur helmet from the other team.

Fury317
10-23-07, 12:11 pm

not Irvin- Primetime haha

jer
06-05-08, 3:50 pm
I realize that this thread is like 8 months old, but I had to comment.

There's this kid at my gym, (21y/o, good guy, we get alone and bullshit in between sets and have even gone out to eat together), but he wears one of those damn things while working out. We give him shit all the time, but he's into it big time. He also wears a headband, which is funny too, but at least I can see a little purpose for that (sweating or whatnot).

Mlowe8
06-05-08, 5:16 pm
actually... guys... there is a reason... so sweat from your upper body and jersey doesnt roll down your arm and make your forearms more sweaty than they already are... I dont wear anything other than my uniform.. not even knee high socks.. so... thats just the "real" reason tho...

mfl5027
06-05-08, 7:58 pm
actually... guys... there is a reason... so sweat from your upper body and jersey doesnt roll down your arm and make your forearms more sweaty than they already are... I dont wear anything other than my uniform.. not even knee high socks.. so... thats just the "real" reason tho...

That might be a good reason for you, but the guys on my team wore them just to look "badass" (they admitted to it). More power to you for having a "real" reason though.

GJN5002
06-05-08, 10:23 pm
i always thought they wore them to make their bi's look bigger haha

bovat
06-20-08, 2:14 pm
we mainly wear it for looks, also sort of advertising the Co. UnderArmour is the SHIT! but yea if you feel good about how you look it can sorta make you a feel a little badass and even help u play better in some ways. Believe me, Ive been there and still doing it. But nothing beats tears in your jersey and paint all over ur helmet from the other team.

ya its weird, sometimes wearing stuff makes me feel more comfortable when I'm playing. Like for basketball, i like to wear a rubber band on my left wrist, for some reason i feel i can control the ball better. NO clue why.

waslate
06-20-08, 2:21 pm
ya its weird, sometimes wearing stuff makes me feel more comfortable when I'm playing. Like for basketball, i like to wear a rubber band on my left wrist, for some reason i feel i can control the ball better. NO clue why.

damn i need to get me some rubber bands to wear! maybe I will not throw up so many air balls.

You think 10 rubber bands will make me shoot 10 times better? hahaha jk

bovat
06-20-08, 2:24 pm
damn i need to get me some rubber bands to wear! maybe I will not throw up so many air balls.

You think 10 rubber bands will make me shoot 10 times better? hahaha jk

no only helps with dribbling

Hoffdogg
06-20-08, 6:34 pm
I always wondered that myself...

Answer: Bands that are worn the wrist are for sweating, however most all football players, tennis players etc; will wear tight bands around their elbows because the tendons of the elbow slowly and painfully begin to pull away from the bone of the elbow during stress. This is where the pain in your elbow originates. With continued repetitive use of the elbow, the tendon-bone connection continues to weaken and the pain in your elbow steadily increases. By placing continual pressure on the tendons connecting the Flexor and the Extensor muscles to the Medial and Lateral Epicondyles, thus significantly reducing the tension at the point of connection to the bone. Reduceing the stress on the Tendinitis, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_arm_bands_on_football_players_arms_fo r

Aes_RocK
07-29-08, 10:39 am
some schools (like ours) are sponsored by a brand (nike) so you have to wear a certain amount of their gear during games. the least obtrusive would be the small little bands... also did you know nike came out with new cleats with the logo on the tip of the shoe so its still visible when you spat them. I spat my cleats for a game and got in deep shit because the logo wasnt showing... div 1a schools are all politics and money

freighttrain09
11-21-08, 10:05 am
haha depending on how tight it is. could give you more vascularity witch might intimidate the other opponent a little haha my 2 cents

Big3
11-22-08, 9:09 pm
hehe.... I wear one on each arm during practice and games... for me, its a mental thing.... I feel my biceps and triceps pulsating and feel the bands getting tighter, makes me feel bigger and stronger....

S.S.MP 6
12-12-08, 7:23 pm
I never wear them because it can possibly get in the way of catching.

B.Martin
08-03-09, 12:13 pm
My HS football team is #6 in the nation right now and sponsord by nike. when we wear the bands it has to have a visible swoosh on them or we cant wear it and yes it is a complete fashion statement