PDA

View Full Version : Head To Head: Quick Oats vs. Rolled Oats

Wasteland
11-05-07, 1:29 pm
Do you prefer quick oats (easy oats) or rolled oats (old fashioned oats) and why? Do you prefer the more convenient option or the more nutritious one? State your case.

Northman
11-05-07, 1:38 pm
I prefer the rolled oats, as I eat them by the handful raw and they are easier to pick up in addition to being healthier.

G Diesel
11-05-07, 1:41 pm
I prefer quick oats... They microwave better and blend into a finer dust in the Magic Bullet. That said there is a big difference between the sludge that comes out of the nuker and a bowl of real, slow cooked oats made in a pot. Peace, G

Universal Rep
11-05-07, 1:42 pm
In a pinch, the quick oats. Most of the time, rolled oats though. When I have the time, I "treat" myself to steel cut oats. Never the instant oatmeal though.

Pizzalamp
11-05-07, 1:48 pm
i use the 1 minute oats
i love irish oats though

adidas
11-05-07, 2:21 pm
quick outs vs rolled oats is almost pointless IMO...the real question should be rolled/quick outs vs steel oats.

but in the end it wont matter. the nutritional difference is marginal at best here. they all can be quickly tossed into a coffee grinder and then into a blended protein shake.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:41 pm
quick outs vs rolled oats is almost pointless IMO...the real question should be rolled/quick outs vs steel oats.

but in the end it wont matter. the nutritional difference is marginal at best here. they all can be quickly tossed into a coffee grinder and then into a blended protein shake.

Meal to meal, I might agree. Over the course of a lifetime? Much more significance.

adidas
11-05-07, 4:49 pm
Meal to meal, I might agree. Over the course of a lifetime? Much more significance.
"over the course of a life time"?

over the course of a life time i doubt the use of quick vs rolled vs steel cut is going to matter, with ALL the other variables in one's diet over that course also.

71bbo455
12-08-09, 5:31 am
Ok so according to the Quaker container they both have the same nutrition and cook time. Both cook for 1 to 1.5 minutes. So is one better then the other and for what reason? The only difference I see is that they make the oats smaller in the quick oats. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

IRBS
12-08-09, 9:09 am
Ok so according to the Quaker container they both have the same nutrition and cook time. Both cook for 1 to 1.5 minutes. So is one better then the other and for what reason? The only difference I see is that they make the oats smaller in the quick oats. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

either one, doesnt matter.

LayzieBone085
12-08-09, 9:11 am
Just eat them.. Simple.. dont complicate things. You will not eat oats by themselves, for the most part you will have some protein source or fat source with them changing the GI of them and slowing the release in your body. It will not make a damn difference in the end.

Aggression
12-08-09, 9:19 am
.. dont complicate things..

One of the best pieces of advice you'll find.

C.Coronato
12-08-09, 9:21 am
I think it simply comes down to taste preference. I like whole oats more, and they "quick" are not much faster.

Lightnin'
12-08-09, 11:39 am
What about Quaker weight control instant oatmeal? Where does that rank on this list?

MR.TeachFreak
12-08-09, 11:42 am
Gotta be quick oats for me just because they cook easier in my experience.

Aggression
12-08-09, 11:43 am
I just buy the quick oats in bulk. throw 1c in the micro with water for 2min and 'boom', carbs. I never have, and never will worry about the difference between that and other oats.

G Diesel
12-08-09, 11:46 am
What about Quaker weight control instant oatmeal? Where does that rank on this list?

The macros on the weight control are far less preferable than just straight oats assuming you don't modify the bulk oats greatly. It is basically marketing hype. The stuff in the individual packages tends to have a lot of shit in there that you'd probably rather do without--fillers, flavoring, sweeteners. If I'm eating oats I'm not having them because they are so delicious, but instead because they serve a purpose in my diet and help in performance. If I'm going to eat something with sugar and goodies in it for enjoyment, it ain't gonna be oatmeal.

Buy the raw bulk oats and add what you like--milk, whey, honey, banana, Splenda, cinnamon, raisins (other than Big Al--haha), etc based on your personal goals and preferences.

Peace, G

Aggression
12-08-09, 11:47 am
If I'm going to eat something with sugar and goodies in it for enjoyment, it ain't gonna be oatmeal.

damn straight, G.

J-Dawg
12-08-09, 12:01 pm

Profile looks like it's rolled oats with some whey isolate (2g more) added and fiber (2g more) and a dusting of some extra vitamins vs. your typical serving of straight oats. Essentially it's like buying regular rolled oats but adding some whey protein to it, a bit of fiber and a sprinkle of vitamins.

Beowulf
12-08-09, 12:02 pm
Profile looks like it's rolled oats with some whey isolate (2g more) added and fiber (2g more) and a dusting of some extra vitamins vs. your typical serving of straight oats. Essentially it's like buying regular rolled oats but adding some whey protein to it, a bit of fiber and a sprinkle of vitamins.

I can do that on my own and save a few bucks.

Lightnin'
12-08-09, 1:21 pm
Buy the raw bulk oats and add what you like--milk, whey, honey, banana, Splenda, cinnamon, raisins (other than Big Al--haha), etc based on your personal goals and preferences.

Peace, G

Good call G. Btw, really good feedback on this post. I just bought the prepackaged stuff cause it was easy. I'll buy the bulk raw oats from now on. Having drunk the old Weider weight gainer back in the day, I should be able to put these down no problem.

Lightnin'
12-08-09, 1:23 pm

Thanks Dawg, good info. I'm drinking a shake and taking a pak with it anyway so the extra 2g of pro is a so what. I'll just buy the bulk Quaker from now on.

J-DOG
12-08-09, 8:54 pm
i use the 1 minute oats
i love irish oats though

Quick question what are irish oats? Oh one more question can anyone tell me what the difference is with Steel Cut Oats as opposed to normal oats?

JD

LayzieBone085
12-08-09, 9:13 pm
Quick question what are irish oats? Oh one more question can anyone tell me what the difference is with Steel Cut Oats as opposed to normal oats?

JD

The amount of refining done on the oat, a little less nutrients/vitamins causing it to be cooked easier as Steel Cut are more dense/finer.

There is no huge difference, a GI difference of 5 between all of them in the end eat what you want, and what you prefer. Its not going to make a damn difference.

I eat reagular oats because 1 -- im a college student , 2 -- I have a microwave, 3 -- They taste just like all the other oats and dont take forever to cook.

J-DOG
12-08-09, 9:31 pm
The amount of refining done on the oat, a little less nutrients/vitamins causing it to be cooked easier as Steel Cut are more dense/finer.

There is no huge difference, a GI difference of 5 between all of them in the end eat what you want, and what you prefer. Its not going to make a damn difference.

I eat reagular oats because 1 -- im a college student , 2 -- I have a microwave, 3 -- They taste just like all the other oats and dont take forever to cook.

Thanks for the info LB!

Peace

JD

Notorious
12-09-09, 12:18 pm
Anybody mix ground flaxseed in with their oats or see any benefit in it?

I usually mix a couple of tablespoons in, but it doesn't taste too good.