PDA

View Full Version : Head To Head: Whey Concentrate vs. Whey Isolate

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:01 pm
Which do you prefer, WPC or WPI and why? Does the increased cost of WPI justify your use of it over WPC? State your case.

Giant Killer
11-05-07, 4:09 pm
I will always use WPC, aka "poor mans whey". This is because in the refining process from concentrate to isolate, it is true that it rids it of trace carbs & fats...but it is also true that it loses valuable protein fractions in this process.

Now, if I was dieting for a show...I would probably opt for a more refined protein, but for now, Concentrate suits my needs and I feel is a more complete and superior protein to Isolate, despite the hype!

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:11 pm
I will always use WPC, aka "poor mans whey". This is because in the refining process from concentrate to isolate, it is true that it rids it of trace carbs & fats...but it is also true that it loses valuable protein fractions in this process.

Now, if I was dieting for a show...I would probably opt for a more refined protein, but for now, Concentrate suits my needs and I feel is a more complete and superior protein to Isolate, despite the hype!

Depends on the processing... I suppose I have to start a "Head To Head" comparing filtration vs. ion-exchange methods?

Giant Killer
11-05-07, 4:13 pm
Depends on the processing... I suppose I have to start a "Head To Head" comparing filtration vs. ion-exchange methods?

Yup, and microfiltration, cold filtration, etc...head to head to head to head, I'm getting dizzy here!

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:15 pm
Yup, and microfiltration, cold filtration, etc...head to head to head to head, I'm getting dizzy here!

Don't make me giant killer. Don't push my buttons, LOL.

Giant Killer
11-05-07, 4:26 pm
I should also mention that I do not have any milk allergies, which would predispose me to get a more pure whey. Those with lactose intolerance issues would definitely deal with Isolates better than Conc.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:30 pm
I should also mention that I do not have any milk allergies, which would predispose me to get a more pure whey. Those with lactose intolerance issues would definitely deal with Isolates better than Conc.

Yes, but being "allergic" to milk is not just limited to a discussion about lactose...

Giant Killer
11-05-07, 4:35 pm
Yes, but being "allergic" to milk is not just limited to a discussion about lactose...

Umm, let me think here, lactalbumin "and stuff" is what you're referring to?

Northman
11-05-07, 4:36 pm
I used to use isolate post wo, but have switched to hydrolyzed. Other than that I focus on cost so I can take in a high quantity of protein. Whey concentrate is often in the mix as it is affordable.

Wasteland
11-05-07, 4:36 pm
Umm, let me think here, lactalbumin "and stuff" is what you're referring to?

Sorry, beta lactoglobulin. Allergenic fraction found in cow milk.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-08, 7:01 pm
ok guess ive been using whey proetin since i can remember, ive also used some soy products a while back, and they both seem to do just fine.

but i heard about isolate ( i believe thats the name) protein, and i would liek to know more, see if its worth while to use or just keep with the same old whey that i know works..

any thoughts or comments fellas??

Terranova1340
01-24-08, 7:06 pm
umm Google?? lol jp I've heard the same thing I have also heard something aboyt soy and estrogen?? dunno maybe some one has an aarticle they could post

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-08, 7:13 pm
haha why google it, at least when i ask a question here i get a no BS answer that i understand and opinions that matter..

Terranova1340
01-24-08, 7:21 pm
I was kidding.... though some times I ask a question here and google it so I get opinions plus hopefully find some type of information on a study or what not that was done.... just to help me form my own unique opinion.

Lionstrong
01-24-08, 7:30 pm
whey concentrate= uses whey concentrate as an only protein source usually. Usually the most economical. Slightly higher fat and carbs, but still miniscule. Higher in lactose than isolate.

whey isolate= higher percentage of protein per serving usually so of course this means less carbs also. Usually no to little fat. Less lactose.

ion exchange= uses a resin during manufacturing that removes glycomacropeptides from whey which are importnt for immune and digestive functioning.

Brute Strength
01-24-08, 8:19 pm
i would consider dropping the soy
yes i know there are many many debates on whether its good for males or not and the last study i read in M&F not too long ago said a whole bunch of crap about how its bad for you and for me to sum it all up for you, its not the GREATEST protein for men. yes its a protein and will help with gains, but i would really stick with the casein and whey and goat.

Lionstrong
01-24-08, 10:14 pm
women tend to gravitate towards soy due to the increased isoflavones...which in turn effects estrogen.

Lionstrong
01-24-08, 10:42 pm
unless your on an extreme keto diet, or lactose intolerant its all the same really. Breaking everything down to the infinitesimal degree like Einstein serves no purpose, but I thought it would be good to know the differences.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-25-08, 12:11 am
alright guys appreciate the input..

RenegadeRows
01-25-08, 12:36 am
just use unysin or animal max dude. Problem solved ;)

SQUAT or DIE!
01-25-08, 12:37 am
never heard of that, ill check it out

RenegadeRows
01-25-08, 12:47 am
it is the animal/universal line of protien. Go to DPS nutrition website (Dont know it exactly, google it), they sell unysn for $17 bucks and $17 for animal max and even the "milk and egg" protien (which is a great night time protien).

all have about 35 servings per tub and about 24 or a little more grams of protien per serving.

ironshaolin
01-25-08, 9:53 am
Currently I use a straight up whey concentrate. I prefer to use an isolate, but 9.99 per lb vs. 5.65 per lb is a big difference. The company I buy from has a milk protein isolate for 7 something, any comments on milk protein isolate vs. whey protein isolate?

Also, heads up everyone. I just read an article that within the next 6 months, milk prices are going to shoot up even more. I say lets start some more dairy farms, start breeding more cows, problem solved. But, we may have to start looking for alternative protein sources.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-25-08, 12:42 pm
thats freaking ridiculous!! milk is already like 3+, im not exactly sure i just buy it and dont look at the price cause it hurts..

alright guys thanks for the info ima check it out right now.. im out of protein so ive been eating chicken and anything i can get my hands on that has protein in it for the last few days..

SQUAT or DIE!
01-25-08, 1:01 pm
it is the animal/universal line of protien. Go to DPS nutrition website (Dont know it exactly, google it), they sell unysn for $17 bucks and $17 for animal max and even the "milk and egg" protien (which is a great night time protien).

so if i got the ultra why protein and the milk and egg protein, i could use the ultra wehy during the day and have a milk egg shake before i got to bed?

that sound liek a decent plan?

bovat
01-28-08, 6:08 pm
i have a problem with milk, it makes me bloated and sick. so im lookin for a new whey, that wont cuz this problem. Ive seen some of the isolate wheys, and they say lactose free, but are still made from milk, does this not matter, is it cool cuz its lactose free. I get a least three shakes in a day, and sometimes 5, so there a big part of my diet.

WK
01-28-08, 6:26 pm
i had the same problem but it seemed like the more milk i drank - the less it affected me. and i saw huge gains so i just said fuck it. but i switched to Muscle Milk and it helped a lot.(sue me)

stumblin54
01-28-08, 6:27 pm
Sorry a little off topic here, but do you mind me asking why some days you're drinkin' five shakes?

Stumblin

Renji007
01-28-08, 6:29 pm
If it's lactose free then it should be fine. at least that's my two cents on that matter.

Though more importantly, you have to get some solid food down in place of some of those shakes, since shakes do NOTHING and I really mean NOTHING to your metabolism where as solid food allows the metabolism to speed up.

bovat
01-29-08, 9:50 am
Sorry a little off topic here, but do you mind me asking why some days you're drinkin' five shakes?

Stumblin

because school decides taht a baked potatoe and salad is for lunch, or soup day. and when i get home, my mom wants to cook spaghetti, and bread, nothing else. so thats why the shakes come in. really pisses me off though, im so sick of cookies and cream.

bovat
01-29-08, 9:54 am
well, the whey i have now, is scifit 100% whey isolate, but non the less i still get milk problems.
i was thinking about trying natures best isopure, cuz it said lactose free, which scifit didnt. So pretty much what im asking, is i want to get a lactose free whey, right?

krazyassmexican
01-29-08, 10:18 am
well, the whey i have now, is scifit 100% whey isolate, but non the less i still get milk problems.
i was thinking about trying natures best isopure, cuz it said lactose free, which scifit didnt. So pretty much what im asking, is i want to get a lactose free whey, right?

how about you try this?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/ultra.html

Wasteland
01-29-08, 10:24 am
You sure the issue is lactose intolerance and not an allergy to a milk fraction (e.g., beta-lactoglobulin)?

bovat
01-29-08, 10:40 am
You sure the issue is lactose intolerance and not an allergy to a milk fraction (e.g., beta-lactoglobulin)?

not sure, i had milk problems when i was a kid, i would get sick, and just really started to eat dairy again, and the problems back. i can have dairy, just when i get to a certain amount, i start getting bloated and gonna puke.

bovat
01-29-08, 10:41 am
how about you try this?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/ultra.html

ya i would get universal, i just wish they would sell 5 lbs. or bigger tubs.

stumblin54
01-29-08, 10:55 am
Well I understand why all the shakes now...but would you ever consider going to the doctor to have him run some tests to find out what you're allergic to? It would make your life a lot easier.

Stumblin

bovat
01-29-08, 7:05 pm
Well I understand why all the shakes now...but would you ever consider going to the doctor to have him run some tests to find out what you're allergic to? It would make your life a lot easier.

Stumblin

i have a physical coming up, ya think i could get this test then.

t_mh
12-02-09, 3:12 pm
I know whey isolates are supposed to be absorbed more quickly than whey concentrate, but are whey isolates better in every way? Is there any benefit to having whey concentrate in a supplement or is it just due to a company cutting costs?

Thanks.

GJN5002
12-02-09, 3:18 pm
I know whey isolates are supposed to be absorbed more quickly than whey concentrate, but are whey isolates better in every way? Is there any benefit to having whey concentrate in a supplement or is it just due to a company cutting costs?

Thanks.

isolate has more protein per serving. a 30g serving of isolate will have upwards of 27g of protein while a 30g scoop of concentrate will have between 21-24. isolate has no lactose which is important for some and is a more pure protein. if you cant afford isolate concentrate works just as well in my opinion. I like to get milk protein isolate which is basically a mixture of casein and isolate so you get slow and fast absorbtion and the cold filtration keeps the protein factions in tact.

t_mh
12-02-09, 4:11 pm
The difference in g of protein per g of powder seems small though. I feel like isolates would be better but I don't think I can justify going for the ultra whey iso if there's not a significant difference because iso is pretty expensive.

msktyshha
12-02-09, 10:17 pm
where do you get pure whey from? as in how is it produced and also where to buy it from

JasonG
12-03-09, 2:03 am
http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm#6

Lot of info there. Have you not supplemented with whey before?

msktyshha
12-03-09, 8:11 am
yeah I have taken and am still taking whey but I am talking about the purest form of whey. what is the most purest form of whey and where can you buy it from?

JasonG
12-03-09, 8:12 pm
Sorry I guess I overlooked the pure in your post. Search around for Hydrolyzed Whey Protein. If your looking for a product with just high quality whey isolate without added flavor or other added ingredients they exist but can't talk about them on this forum. But Ultra Iso Whey from Universal is a very good option and doesn't mix in whey concentrate and still call it isolate. Some other companies call their product isolate and looking at their ingredients shows a blend of concentrate and probably more concentrate than isolate.

Beowulf
12-04-09, 11:09 am
http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm#6

Lot of info there. Have you not supplemented with whey before?

Sorry I guess I overlooked the pure in your post. Search around for Hydrolyzed Whey Protein.

Yeah, a lot of "info". The site is run by a whey manufacturer with a specific kind of product, lol..

Sorry, but hydrolyzed whey, while good, is not a great choice for most people out there..

JasonG
12-04-09, 9:02 pm
Yeah, a lot of "info". The site is run by a whey manufacturer with a specific kind of product, lol..

Sorry, but hydrolyzed whey, while good, is not a great choice for most people out there..

Yeah I noticed that later but figured it would answer his questions at least.

Why is hydrolyzed whey not a great choice for most people?

Beowulf
12-07-09, 3:36 pm
Yeah I noticed that later but figured it would answer his questions at least.

Why is hydrolyzed whey not a great choice for most people?

The cost doesn't justify the benefit.

JasonG
12-07-09, 4:37 pm
Oh by a money standpoint ok. I thought you were gonna give me some scientific reasoning...

Goliathus
12-14-09, 2:41 pm
Have any of you ever had experience with Hydrolyzed Whey?
I mean when you look at some study, the body's response when you take whey that acts quickly such as hydrowhey, so to say, protein synthesis is increased.

But if you take Whey in the form of hydrolysate, mixed with a compound like a glucose polymer, or a simple sugar even, something that contains Dextrose, mixing hydrolysate with some nitro g would be IDEAL, you're getting your protein needs as WELL as the carbs your body would need PWO.

Your body needs sources to restore glycogen stores pwo, giving the body carbs that can digest fast enough as WELL as a protein that can get through your body just as fast would be a good response wouldn't it?

That's what I've been doing.
I mean you can't go wrong with whey concentrate and a jacked meal with some nitro or something, but its certainly an idea I've been exploring.

sin-city-customs
01-17-10, 10:23 pm
Which do you guys use and is there a big difference? I hear it all the time, but does it really matter?

Thanks,
Dave

Kryptonite
01-17-10, 11:13 pm
God, I love Google.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-isolate-concentrate.htm

NaturalTrainee
01-18-10, 7:47 am
Concentrate. It always worked better for me and it's cheaper(ultra important).

Beowulf
01-18-10, 3:32 pm
Is there a difference? Yes. Does it matter? Depends on who you ask. Does it matter to me? Absolutely not.