PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Fasting (IF)

adidas
09-17-07, 2:18 pm
for those interested in it...

http://www.fatlosstroubleshoot.com/if.html

calcaneous
11-06-07, 10:17 am
Have any of you guys heard of this? apparently, you fast for around 16 hours a day, and eat for 8 hours a day.

the first real meal you have is your pre-workout meal, and for the rest of the 8 hour "feasting zone" you have all your daily calories, then go back to fasting till the next pre-workout meal.

seems like you would be eating away at lbm.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831

NickSP
11-06-07, 12:55 pm
I'll be honest I think that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. No matter what your goals are people always tell you to spread your meals out through the day...smaller/more frequent, because it keeps your metabolism up a bit. Taking in so many excess cals all at once you clearly won't need all that for the moment which means your body is just going to store it. We know what that means. And what happens during 16 hours? Why would you ever not eat for 16 hours? I think all this "fasting strategy" would do is increase your bodyfat.

krazyassmexican
11-06-07, 1:05 pm
shit somebody better close this thread before bullshit starts

fasting?
my ass!

bodybuilder
powerbodybuilder
powerlifter
or a fitness shit head
your stomach should never be empty!
or it is gonna lead you to have some serious fat gains or muscle waste

now please
someone
close this shit

SQUAT or DIE!
11-06-07, 1:19 pm
well if you can fit 400 cals into an 8 hr period, one i dont think thats healthy and two its just gotta be difficult, i had a problem doing it in 16-18 hrs i dunno how you can do that n 8. and as a powerlifter/ fatboy i just enjoy eating so that sounds god awful if someone could do that to themselves

G Diesel
11-06-07, 1:20 pm
I wouldn't advise fasting for any hard training athlete... The body is a machine that needs fuel to function properly.

The only exception to this would be athletes observing religious traditions, but those are special occasions and rare cases. Peace, G

simpleguy
11-06-07, 1:22 pm
I agree... the machine must have enough fuel in it any time of the day (and night)... so eat up

calcaneous
11-06-07, 2:33 pm
don't think im going to not eat for 16 hours, i can barely go 30 mins after a meal without eyeing food. I just don't see how someone can promote a diet where you starve yourself for such a long time.

krazyassmexican
11-06-07, 2:38 pm
don't think im going to not eat for 16 hours, i can barely go 30 mins after a meal without eyeing food. I just don't see how someone can promote a diet where you starve yourself for such a long time.

i dunno either
but a lot of dumb people trust them
it reminds me of my ex girl
at 17 years old
she was fasting for 2 or 3 days
then maxing out for a meal
and puking 5 minutes after it

Bob
11-06-07, 3:03 pm
Have any of you guys heard of this? apparently, you fast for around 16 hours a day, and eat for 8 hours a day.

the first real meal you have is your pre-workout meal, and for the rest of the 8 hour "feasting zone" you have all your daily calories, then go back to fasting till the next pre-workout meal.

seems like you would be eating away at lbm.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831

It might work if your goal is NOT to maximize your overall gains lol, but seriously, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who is truly serious about packing on the most amount of lean mass possible.

Renji007
11-06-07, 3:10 pm
I know what you mean. Some of my friends don't eat for hours on end....Sometimes I wonder how they can even live like that since every two hours I've gotta eat or I feel like I'm dying..

jac71
11-06-07, 3:25 pm
I read on Gerard Dante's book, can't remember the name of the book, were he talks about structured fasting....believe it or not it was during a bulk that he suggests you to do it, however he doesn't recommend fasting for a day, what he recommends is to take a day when you only eat at times when you get hungry, now we all know that on a bulk there are times when it is hard to eat another meal, his argument is that your body needs a break from all the food you are feeding it and a day off from all the food intake can actually be beneficial.
Is that consider a fast? well if you are normally eating every 2 to 3 hours and on a given day you go without food for lets say 10 to 12 hours than I guess it can be considered a form of fasting.

Punisher
11-06-07, 3:27 pm
isnt that called the warrior diet?

Bob
11-06-07, 3:39 pm
isnt that called the warrior diet?

I think they are different... the warrior diet allows for a 4 hour overeating phase and a 20 hour undereating phase w/ the overeating phase taking place during nighttime prior to sleeping. Interesting concepts, just not for me.

jac71
11-06-07, 3:39 pm
the book is called something like "extreme bodybuilding" something like that.
I thought it was helpful cus he didn't push sups per se but instead recommends a solid nutrition plan and off course bustin your ass on the gym and proper rest.....sound familiar?

Universal Rep
11-06-07, 3:44 pm
Hey fellas, let's not get crazy with this whole IF thing... There is a basis for it and, depending on who you ask, a solid rationale. Let's not bash it simply cuz we don't understand it. Me, I think it's kinda interesting--the basis for it, that is.

Giant Killer
11-06-07, 4:15 pm
It's not for me. That's where I draw the line...I won't go so far as to say it wont work for anyone else. My boy Arbalest says it's working great for him, so be it. Like I said, I'm not interested in any sort of fasting, but if it works for you, do it...just like everything else in bodybuilding.

born0withno0soul
11-06-07, 4:36 pm
if you want to get big. you eat. a lot.

Universal Rep
11-06-07, 4:41 pm
It's not for me. That's where I draw the line...I won't go so far as to say it wont work for anyone else. My boy Arbalest says it's working great for him, so be it. Like I said, I'm not interested in any sort of fasting, but if it works for you, do it...just like everything else in bodybuilding.

Maybe we're all gettin' caught up on the term "fasting". What's that period between meal #5 and #6? Is that a fast?

All I'm saying is, before we dismiss an idea, we should have a discussion... Not singling you out GK...

Syringemouth
11-06-07, 5:14 pm
I just wonder how your body could hadle 3,500 calories in 8 hours time. If you broke that down to say 4 meals in 8 hours that would be 875 calories a meal. That is A LOT of solid food to digest.

How would your stomach react to the massive change in calories as well? Hypothetically speaking lets say you sleep for 8 hours and then don't eat for another 4 hours, eat like crazy for 8 hours and then another 4 hours of nothing? It just seems like it would be A LOT to ask of your body.

Just my 2 cents

bobbymart
11-06-07, 5:15 pm
Ok so I was watching the national geo channel and sumo wrestelers do the same thing and the crazy thing is that they are very healthy they get up in the morning and train for upwards of 10 hours before they even eat and starting at about 5 or 6 in the pm they start eating everything in site all the way up until they sleep.... the rational behind this is that all of the fat they put on is surface fat there organs and blood remain relativley untouched by fat that is how thay remain in good health and have decent cardio..... now as for bodybuilding who knows it may work for some! sumo guys are not lifting weighs if they were maybe alot of what they put on would be muscle hope I did not get too far off topic I just thought it was interesting.

stumblin54
11-06-07, 5:40 pm
This rings a bell...maybe that's because there are already threads about this, and the very knowledgeable adidamps already enlightened the forum about it...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=10755&highlight=intermittent+fasting

Stumblin

adidas
11-07-07, 10:49 pm
I just wonder how your body could hadle 3,500 calories in 8 hours time. If you broke that down to say 4 meals in 8 hours that would be 875 calories a meal. That is A LOT of solid food to digest.

How would your stomach react to the massive change in calories as well? Hypothetically speaking lets say you sleep for 8 hours and then don't eat for another 4 hours, eat like crazy for 8 hours and then another 4 hours of nothing? It just seems like it would be A LOT to ask of your body.

Just my 2 cents

so is eatting every 2-3 hrs over a course of a day's meals. 4000 cals is 4000 cals regardless if you eat the shit over 6-8 meals or over a course of 3-4 meals. the calories remain the same. all it boils down to is, the larger the meals the longer it takes to digest. that is it.

also don't forget the body will adapt to eatting styles also.

adidas
11-07-07, 10:50 pm
This rings a bell...maybe that's because there are already threads about this, and the very knowledgeable adidamps already enlightened the forum about it...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=10755&highlight=intermittent+fasting

Stumblin

thanks Stumblin' and it wasn't well recieved then either...LOL

Maccabee
11-08-07, 12:36 am
With the way we Animals train fasting like that is just crazy. However everyone is different. If its working for this guy then so be it. I wouldnt bother with it anyways. Intresting article though. Peace

Bob
11-09-07, 3:29 pm
I guess the question is, is this the most efficient way to take in your calories? And how many top level bodybuilders use this method? Would be interesting to see and would love to see some comparisons to guys who use both methods. I sure as hell ain't gonna be the guy to try this diet lol.

Gonz
07-30-08, 9:41 pm
This is a controversial subject with the bodybuilding crowd, but I figure I may as well ask here. I do intermittent fasting, following the Warrior Diet loosely as well. I eat my main big meals within a 4 hour period, and water fast the rest of the time. I workout at 0445 in a fasted state and take a protein shake with milk about 30-45 minutes afterward. I continue fasting from there on out until 1600 or 1700 where I eat until 2000. Now I'm curious, does anyone follow IF or the Warrior Diet? I love doing IF, but I'm thinking maybe I should switch my workouts to the evening after work in which case I could "saturate" my body with everything it needs post workout. Thing is, I started working out so early because I was usually too tired after work, and I could never sleep well after a workout so late. Anyone have any guidance on this? Please only informative posts, I don't need people bashing this way of eating. Thanks

getbiggest
07-30-08, 9:57 pm
This is a controversial subject with the bodybuilding crowd, but I figure I may as well ask here. I do intermittent fasting, following the Warrior Diet loosely as well. I eat my main big meals within a 4 hour period, and water fast the rest of the time. I workout at 0445 in a fasted state and take a protein shake with milk about 30-45 minutes afterward. I continue fasting from there on out until 1600 or 1700 where I eat until 2000. Now I'm curious, does anyone follow IF or the Warrior Diet? I love doing IF, but I'm thinking maybe I should switch my workouts to the evening after work in which case I could "saturate" my body with everything it needs post workout. Thing is, I started working out so early because I was usually too tired after work, and I could never sleep well after a workout so late. Anyone have any guidance on this? Please only informative posts, I don't need people bashing this way of eating. Thanks

what are your goals?
and if you were too tired after work but wanna go back to evening workouts i would say try out shock therapy pre workout its a great suppp that kicked my ass into gear when i needed it

GJN5002
07-30-08, 10:15 pm

not to be a dick but i think this is a hideous idea if your goals are to get bigger, stronger, and leaner. So whats your body use for fuel when you work out on an empty stomach? what does your body feed on all day to keep a positive nitrogen balance. Im not schooled in this practice but it seems to go against everything we know about nutrition timing. If im missing something please let me know i dont want to come across as though my ways are better than yours..just different.

Gonz
07-30-08, 10:44 pm
Yes, I'm sure I'll receive more "what are you thinking" type responses, but I've done my research. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/ That's a good place to start, this is an ongoing blog about the "lifestyle" http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/ which I read pretty religiously. Also read up on the Warrior Diet. Before you call me crazy, just think about how crazy it is to constantly be eating, everyone has their own perceptions on what should be eaten and when effectively. All I know is that IF definitely keeps me focused and makes me feel a lot better. I don't plan on changing it, just tweaking it. As far as energy supps, Pump is what I use, and it works great. I'm just worried that I won't have time to workout, cook, and get plenty of rest if I pack it all in after work. I could stay up later than when I do now though, so I'll see. I'll give it a month, I'm going to eat as clean as I can, keep the carbs to 80-100g per day and get the proper protein amounts. My goals? Well I'm doing this as a lifestyle change, I'm not a power lifter, nor do I plan on competing, I just want to be fairly muscular and lean overall. My ultimate goal is to be 10-12%BF at most. I've been doing IF for about 3-4 months now, just had a physical done and they were quite surprised how healthy I was, so I know it's not killing me. Just think about it, if you give your body food all the time, it's tiring itself out by digesting food all the time. Give it time to digest, and it'll work more efficiently. Anyways, not trying to sell anyone on this, everyone has their own views and what works for them. Just looking for others that have adopted this lifestyle and could give me guidance to help me out.

GJN5002
07-30-08, 10:56 pm
i feel you im not trying to down what youre saying just offering up the other side of the arguement and all i can really say is that if you eat small frequent meals you wont 'tire' your body out...plus i love eating haha. congrats on you having the will to fast on water.

ROC1291
07-30-08, 10:58 pm
Yes, I'm sure I'll receive more "what are you thinking" type responses, but I've done my research. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/ That's a good place to start, this is an ongoing blog about the "lifestyle" http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/ which I read pretty religiously. Also read up on the Warrior Diet. Before you call me crazy, just think about how crazy it is to constantly be eating, everyone has their own perceptions on what should be eaten and when effectively. All I know is that IF definitely keeps me focused and makes me feel a lot better. I don't plan on changing it, just tweaking it. As far as energy supps, Pump is what I use, and it works great. I'm just worried that I won't have time to workout, cook, and get plenty of rest if I pack it all in after work. I could stay up later than when I do now though, so I'll see. I'll give it a month, I'm going to eat as clean as I can, keep the carbs to 80-100g per day and get the proper protein amounts. My goals? Well I'm doing this as a lifestyle change, I'm not a power lifter, nor do I plan on competing, I just want to be fairly muscular and lean overall. My ultimate goal is to be 10-12%BF at most. I've been doing IF for about 3-4 months now, just had a physical done and they were quite surprised how healthy I was, so I know it's not killing me. Just think about it, if you give your body food all the time, it's tiring itself out by digesting food all the time. Give it time to digest, and it'll work more efficiently. Anyways, not trying to sell anyone on this, everyone has their own views and what works for them. Just looking for others that have adopted this lifestyle and could give me guidance to help me out.

He has a point...
And I'm not going either way on this, but I get too hungry to be doing this kind of stuff.

On the matter at hand...
It seems like you may have a dilemma bro. Working out at night/late afternoon has always been my thing. I personally cannot lift in the morning, my CNS is never awake enough for that. I tried it the other day and got in 11 sets at best for legs. I had to go home early.

My suggestion, workout after work. Feed up afterwards. If you really have trouble sleeping, try some ZMA or another product I can suggest if you PM me.

The stims in PUMP should be giving you a good release of energy over time. To blunt this effect, you need to bust your ass in the gym. I'm gonna ask you a question, how long are your workouts?

If you don't finish up in 60 minutes or less, it's probably not intense enough. Kick up the intensity and leave your heart and soul on the squat rack and guaranteed you will come home ready to crawl in bed after that last meal.

Gonz
07-30-08, 11:33 pm
Thanks for the info all. Well I used to workout all the time around 1800, then I'd have trouble sleeping because I'd still be energized from working out. Then again back then I didn't do IF, nor did I eat as well or anything. I suppose I could take Pump and just leave the red pill out. I also take Scivation's Knockout to help me sleep at night, it definitely works. We'll see, I'm still optimistic about keeping my mornings as my time to workout. I used to hate mornings, and now I love them. We'll see, as far as tiring your body out, regardless how much you eat, you're still constantly digesting. Whether you eat 4 meals a day or 8, you're still having to digest that on a constant basis. I eat within a certain window, making sure to get all my calories and macros in during that timeframe. It's hard at times, but I feel better during my fasting period. Oh I forgot to mention, all my workouts are an hour or less. 45 minutes usually is what I like to keep it at. I do P90X+ (yes yes make your jokes), and it's pretty intense stuff, it's not the intensity I'm worried about.

adidas
07-31-08, 5:33 am

All the reading I have done on this diet suggest that you work out right before your re-feed/cal load time. so I would definetly change up your work out time.

Gonz
07-31-08, 6:17 am
All the reading I have done on this diet suggest that you work out right before your re-feed/cal load time. so I would definetly change up your work out time.

Thanks for the info, I mean already knew that but sometimes you just need someone to tell you I suppose. I'll finish off the week working out in the morning, then switch during the weekend. I just hope it works out better. Thanks for the input everyone, definitely a lot better responses than what I've gotten on other forums.

JMC
07-31-08, 8:22 am
Thanks for the info, I mean already knew that but sometimes you just need someone to tell you I suppose. I'll finish off the week working out in the morning, then switch during the weekend. I just hope it works out better. Thanks for the input everyone, definitely a lot better responses than what I've gotten on other forums.

I was wondering what the deal was with your program from another post of yours. I wouldn't expect to get bashed here. The fact is, I don't agree with these programs as they're not for me and are not consistent with my goals or my lifestyle. If you are getting your desired results, that is all that matters. Glad you found some answers here. Good luck bro!

Gonz
07-31-08, 10:42 pm
I was wondering what the deal was with your program from another post of yours. I wouldn't expect to get bashed here. The fact is, I don't agree with these programs as they're not for me and are not consistent with my goals or my lifestyle. If you are getting your desired results, that is all that matters. Glad you found some answers here. Good luck bro!

I have another thread in here "Timing" under the supplement packs section. I've been getting some heat from it, even though I just mentioned it once. Well tonight I'll be doing my first evening workout, it's Friday so I'll be able to see how it effects me. Saturday I'll do the same and possibly even Sunday. I really hope this works out for the best.

violator
09-30-09, 9:18 am
I know theres a couple of animals here that use this method...do any of you have any links to decent research or trials of this diet system?

the best i could find was this: http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objective-look-at-intermittent-fasting.html

Any useful info would be appreciated, but please dont send me the link to the 170+pg thread at BB.com...id like to finish my research before the end of the year..haha...