PDA

View Full Version : Recovery: Methods for Enhancing

Moose 13
11-23-07, 11:48 pm
Does anyone know of anything to speed up recovery? Let me know thanks brothers.

Fury317
11-23-07, 11:57 pm
This is kind of a broad question. I mean eating more protien could speed up recovery. Also taking in teh proper supplementation will help after a good diet is in order. Another thing is to not overwork a particular muscle group. For example, you dont need to be doing 5 or 6 different exercises for bi's or tri's because they are a smaller muscle group. How fast do you want to be fully recovered? And how long is it taking you to recover?

Moose 13
11-24-07, 12:04 am
I am advanced in bodybuilding; however, i was wondering if any supps would offer any help. takes me about 2 - 3 days to fully recover a muscle.

Gehlbach!
11-24-07, 12:11 am
I just take a good PWO shake with isolate protien, carbs, and gluamine. Also about 30 mins later eat a good/high protien "snack"! Then dinner about 30 mins later.

Pizzalamp
11-24-07, 12:35 am
Does anyone know of anything to speed up recovery? Let me know thanks brothers.

get enough sleep
eat enough calories
dont overdo training volume
bcaas eaas glutamine
lots of water
proper vitamins and minerals
efas

RoJoHen
11-24-07, 3:12 am
I am advanced in bodybuilding; however, i was wondering if any supps would offer any help. takes me about 2 - 3 days to fully recover a muscle.
And you want them recover faster than 2-3 days?

Is there any reason? That's a pretty decent recovery time, considering a lot of people here only workout each muscle group once a week.

simpleguy
11-24-07, 4:53 am
You said you are advanced in bodybuilding... if so, you should know that 2-3 days is a fast time to recover, it takes me about 5 days or more to recover after leg day;
here are a few tips for faster recovery and muscle growth: eat a lot, get at least 8-9 hrs of sleep a night, stretch between sets and after your w/o, consider supplementing with glutamine , have a good pwo shake like torrent

Tron
11-24-07, 1:12 pm
get enough sleep
eat enough calories
bcaas eaas glutamine
lots of water
efas

Absolutely correct... pretty well all you can do.

Fury317
11-24-07, 2:03 pm
get enough sleep
eat enough calories
bcaas eaas glutamine
lots of water
efas

pretty much hit the nail on the head. if you want to know supplements add in torrent adn nitro. If your using only the supps you list in your sig then you have no post supplementation which is the time when the body needs nutrition most.

king1
11-24-07, 7:27 pm
ive found the more frequent your work out the faster you will recover. Also super light sessions working the sore muscles will make you recover faster. Sled pulling and other GPP work will make you recover faster. If your advanced in bodybuilding you would probably know this. Your best bet is light high rep work to get some blood flowing, and your soreness will disappear.

Moose 13
11-26-07, 6:41 pm
Thanks guys. I say advanced b/c i am huge as hell. I just needed help on the scientific part of the gym. I'm old school; cant help that. Been lifting about eight years i take isolate after workouts, casin at night before bed and supp with regular whey any other times i need a little extra. thanks again will try the glutamine. 5 grams right?

Mr.Hardcore98
11-26-07, 8:53 pm
sleep stretch and glutamine

gsb239
11-26-07, 8:56 pm
5 grams right?

5-10 in every shake for me.

dbbeast
11-28-07, 10:00 pm

anyone who is "advanced" in bodybuilding should know that 2-3 days is a normal (and slightly quick) time to recover a muscle. just up the glutamine and amino supps and maybe more water.

joe-yamma
11-28-07, 11:43 pm
fury said it pretty well.
torrent immediately pwo (followed by a solid meal about 30mins later), glutamine as well as aminos such as nitro, increased water intake, and increase in some good carbs have helped me considerably.

Malloy1344
11-29-07, 12:30 pm
72 hours is pretty good heal time dude. Anything less than that is gonna be counter productive......I give all body parts atleast 96 hours before hitting again. Remember, you grow when you rest.

Moose 13
11-29-07, 7:25 pm
Thanks guys.

youngobrien
02-14-08, 6:22 pm
hey there fellas, posting from the uk here. Just thought id share a wee thing with ya's i do after leg day to improve recovery and stop you walking like a zombie the following day. I play rugby at a fairly high level in the uk, after heavy sprints we normally have a ice bath, theory being that the cold water encourages vasodilation, your body attempting to warm itself, thus more blood flow to your legs, helps flush out all the toxins and metabolites after heavy leg work. I thought id try it after squats, major difference next day! Just half fill your bath with water, throw in a bag of ice from your liquor store, hope in for half a minute a time and alternate with a warm shower! Stay strong!

aussie bulk
02-14-08, 6:38 pm
hey mate,

you're spot on. We in Australia have the option of the ocean and hot showers (sorry mate, gotta get one on you since you bundled us outta the RWC!)

We do the same thing after sprint training, cold ocean water, hop in the shower, rince and repeat!!!

What rugger are you playing over there?

Tiny
02-15-08, 7:26 am
I know athletes who do this but not bodybuilders. With the high volume I usually practice, the target muscle(s) couldn't possibly enjoy any greater flushing or vasiodialation. Not to mention that as you get cold, blood flow to the extremities is actually reduced so your body can maintain the greatest warmth in the torso and chest area to preserve and protect vital organs. I am sure an ice bath feels very envigorating but not convinced this offers any advantage to a hard training bodybuilder. No disrespect what so ever - it may work wonders for athletes engaged in your line of sport or similar - like I said I know a few pro athletes who do this themselves - just not bodybuilders. Plus, I ain't puttin my "boys" through this kind of trauma; nature blessed me fairly well and I ain't trying to encourage any unneccessary atrophy in that department.

prowrestler
02-15-08, 11:29 pm
I know athletes who do this but not bodybuilders. With the high volume I usually practice, the target muscle(s) couldn't possibly enjoy any greater flushing or vasiodialation. Not to mention that as you get cold, blood flow to the extremities is actually reduced so your body can maintain the greatest warmth in the torso and chest area to preserve and protect vital organs. I am sure an ice bath feels very envigorating but not convinced this offers any advantage to a hard training bodybuilder. No disrespect what so ever - it may work wonders for athletes engaged in your line of sport or similar - like I said I know a few pro athletes who do this themselves - just not bodybuilders. Plus, I ain't puttin my "boys" through this kind of trauma; nature blessed me fairly well and I ain't trying to encourage any unneccessary atrophy in that department.

love your posts man, true/in your face facts and some humor to kick it off!!! i believe the sameway you do in this subject. the cold centralises blood flow and contracts the blood vessels.

BUT, i tried this thursday night after leg day. fuck did it ever work!!!! i can move and leg day was one of the hardest ones i have had in my life so far. drop sets, partial reps, nearly pukin and blessed with a strong gut, strip set squats, you name it, i did it. normally i am sore as hell for 5-6 day after making walking look like heavy squating again. but now as i type this, my legs are only sore when i flex them or stretch them but i can even run at 90%.

p.s. how is mike miller's wrestling comin along Tiny?

V23
02-16-08, 8:10 am
Ice therapy is proven to work wonders.
It initially causes vasoconstrictrion, but after
you remove it (right after it numbs up or about 20min)
there is something called the Hoffman Response, where you
get massive vasodilation. This is your body's attempt at
overcompensating to warm the area up. (feel the part you
iced a few minutes later and its hot and red from the blood
flow)
This is much greater than anything flow you would get
from working out or superficial heat (which doesn't even get
to your muscles).
The best ways to recover from workouts regardless of what
sport you are in would be to 1. Stretch immediately after you
lift to remove lactic acid and other wastes.
2. Ice your muscles and tendons later that night (muscle growth
is an inflammatory process so you dont want to stop it early)
3. Do cardio the next day or before your next workout --
nothing instense just jump on the bike to get your blood flowing
this will again remove wastes and bring in fresh blood.

Mr.Totality
02-16-08, 10:49 am
I have heard some amazing things about ice treatment, however I dont necessarily know if I coudl sit through it. The more I hear about it, the more tempting it becomes

Tiny
02-16-08, 1:20 pm
love your posts man, true/in your face facts and some humor to kick it off!!! i believe the sameway you do in this subject. the cold centralises blood flow and contracts the blood vessels.

BUT, i tried this thursday night after leg day. fuck did it ever work!!!! i can move and leg day was one of the hardest ones i have had in my life so far. drop sets, partial reps, nearly pukin and blessed with a strong gut, strip set squats, you name it, i did it. normally i am sore as hell for 5-6 day after making walking look like heavy squating again. but now as i type this, my legs are only sore when i flex them or stretch them but i can even run at 90%.

p.s. how is mike miller's wrestling comin along Tiny?

Hey, maybe it is good stuff but like I said - I'll pass on this technique and somehow press onward without it. Mike actually landed a part in the new Mickey Rourke movie "The Wrestler." Google this movie and you'll be counting the days until it comes out - I think it will be awesome.

Tiny
02-16-08, 1:24 pm
Ice therapy is proven to work wonders.
It initially causes vasoconstrictrion, but after
you remove it (right after it numbs up or about 20min)
there is something called the Hoffman Response, where you
get massive vasodilation. This is your body's attempt at
overcompensating to warm the area up. (feel the part you
iced a few minutes later and its hot and red from the blood
flow)
This is much greater than anything flow you would get
from working out or superficial heat (which doesn't even get
to your muscles).
The best ways to recover from workouts regardless of what
sport you are in would be to 1. Stretch immediately after you
lift to remove lactic acid and other wastes.
2. Ice your muscles and tendons later that night (muscle growth
is an inflammatory process so you dont want to stop it early)
3. Do cardio the next day or before your next workout --
nothing instense just jump on the bike to get your blood flowing
this will again remove wastes and bring in fresh blood.

Really? I'll buy it all except for your proposition that this "flushing/vasiodialation" is much better than anything you could achieve by working out. In fact, I would and am willing to lay some money on the line and bet you that I can demonstrate a much, much greater flush/pump/vasiodialation from a leg workout then an ice bath. Saying it works is one thing and probably true but you are seriously reaching and mistaken with this other part.

strongkid963
02-16-08, 11:30 pm
Really? I'll buy it all except for your proposition that this "flushing/vasiodialation" is much better than anything you could achieve by working out. In fact, I would and am willing to lay some money on the line and bet you that I can demonstrate a much, much greater flush/pump/vasiodialation from a leg workout then an ice bath. Saying it works is one thing and probably true but you are seriously reaching and mistaken with this other part.

dont worry v23 his signature says it all!
j/k ;)

V23
02-17-08, 12:32 pm
To clarify my point. When you exercise you create
waste products like lactic acid and CO2, so you really
aren't flushing out wastes. You are getting a great
amount of vasodilation to bring in oxygen and nutrients
because your muscles are doing work. But icing
helping remove the wastes and bring in nutrients
via blood better than weightlifting, was my point.
If your biceps are sore from lifting, going and lifting
more the next day wouldnt improve your recovery.

That was the point I was trying to get at. So sorry
if I confused you.

prowrestler
02-17-08, 10:47 pm

if I confused you.

actually man, some people do a light day after they lift for sorness relief. like, i did calves tonight, tomorow i do 3 sets of hih rep calves to get some blood in there.

i do not do that though

Tiny
02-18-08, 12:48 pm
It is truly a case of "apples and oranges" so I agree to disagree. My physique isn't even built for your sport whatsoever - no b.s. honest truth. My legs are too big (for what you do) and were I to even attempt to engage in such play, very quickly my lower extremeties would become so pumped as to nearly render themselves useless. I literally could get a very severe "pump" if I ran around for five minutes trying to chase and or kick a ball. For ME no fucking ice bath on this planet would reprodice a similar pump - just the facts, Jack.

krazyassmexican
02-18-08, 12:52 pm

if I confused you.

according to a pro that tiny doesnt like LOL

he says in the offseason there's no need for flushin lactic acid on leg days
there has to be a reason why

i am with tiny on this shit
besides

i really enjoy walkin fucked up after a leg day

Tiny
02-18-08, 1:20 pm
according to a pro that tiny doesnt like LOL

he says in the offseason there's no need for flushin lactic acid on leg days
there has to be a reason why

i am with tiny on this shit
besides

i really enjoy walkin fucked up after a leg day

It may be good shit for some folks - just not for me. I haven't tried anything like that to date and I am where I am - development wise, so if it ain't broke, don't break it. AND I just ain't dunking my "boys" in no fucking tub of ice - I'm out of that "Big Hand Mob" and I'm good with all that, I ain't trying to fuck around and bring on some bad karma in that department.

krazyassmexican
02-18-08, 1:27 pm
It may be good shit for some folks - just not for me. I haven't tried anything like that to date and I am where I am - development wise, so if it ain't broke, don't break it. AND I just ain't dunking my "boys" in no fucking tub of ice - I'm out of that "Big Hand Mob" and I'm good with all that, I ain't trying to fuck around and bring on some bad karma in that department.

true, my mom taught me, cold showers when muscles are warm can bring you different problems
if you live in chicago we can start with flu!

LOL

Enforcer
02-18-08, 2:25 pm
When i played football in college I used to sit in an icebath for 10 minutes everyday after practice, hurts like kiek for the first 2 minutes but then you get used to it. The next day though you feel amazing and your muscles are relaxed and ready to be put through even more abuse.

ComptonUhh
02-18-08, 4:57 pm
I ran track in high school and after every tough practice we were sent to do this in a giant horse trough. This worked wonders for me in high school. I have yet to try it after a leg workout but now that you mention this I will definitely be trying this one.

strivin for more
12-13-08, 9:49 am
hey fellas. anyone have any opinions on a hot tub? would i benefit from doing it after a workout or no? any negatives? thanks.

prowrestler
12-13-08, 11:28 am
hey fellas. anyone have any opinions on a hot tub? would i benefit from doing it after a workout or no? any negatives? thanks.

give it some time after a workout, after workout, ice bath is waaay better

strivin for more
12-13-08, 1:10 pm
alrite. is there any particular reason why?

sanga
12-13-08, 1:38 pm
Only thing I need after a workout is food, food and more food.

prowrestler
12-13-08, 2:22 pm
alrite. is there any particular reason why?

the ice will recover you way faster

the hot bath will drain the living shit outta you right after a workout.

sauna is reccomended 4 hours after, hot bath= same thing

simpleguy
12-13-08, 2:53 pm
a good thing is to alternate from hot to cold... I don't remember the exact name of this, but the basics are 1-5 minutes in hot water, 1-5 minutes in cold water... easy to do it in the shower (or if you got two tubs)

simpleguy
12-13-08, 2:58 pm
a good thing is to alternate from hot to cold... I don't remember the exact name of this, but the basics are 1-5 minutes in hot water, 1-5 minutes in cold water... easy to do it in the shower (or if you got two tubs)

ok I found the article where I've seen this: It's on http://www.universalusa.com/ ... look in the training section for the article 'restorative techniques'... the last part of the article

RENFRO
12-13-08, 3:08 pm
true mass gainer, and then proceed to stuff my face an hour later with FOOOOOOOD! ;)

strivin for more
12-13-08, 4:57 pm
alrite. so basically food and 4 hours later? sounds great. thanks all, and the links were helpful.

strivin for more
12-18-08, 4:03 pm
hey fellas i have a question. the past few days ive been tired, super hungry, and no energy for the gym. this is my body saying take that few days off right? i guess what im asking is more of a what would you do type thing?

sanga
12-18-08, 4:04 pm
IMO sleep if tired, eat if hungry and take a break.

MVP
12-18-08, 6:14 pm
Agreed with above. Energy comes from food, so eat more, alertness (being awake) comes from sleeping. So if you're tired sleep.

shizz702
12-18-08, 6:32 pm
If ever in doubt take some time off. Growth happens OUTSIDE of the gym, not in it. Your body needs to heal and repair itself from the vigors of training and if you aren't fully recovered and continue to train anyway you are just hacking away and hindering gains.

What you posted sounds to me like the typical symptoms of overtraining and you should definitely take some time off. I just recently took an entire week off and came back stronger than ever and feeling great to boot. Remember if ever in doubt and if you feel the need take some time off. Drop the ego and do what is necessary.

While most of the general population is lazy and doesn't train enough, we animals at times do too much, and overtraining is just as counterproductive.

prowrestler
12-18-08, 6:33 pm
if your hungry you eat, tired, you sleep

strivin for more
12-18-08, 7:46 pm
alrite, thanks guys. looks like a i need a lil r&r

sunny_max
10-08-09, 11:49 pm
i din find a thread for it...if there is i wld appreciate it if someone can post link or move this to it.....that being said
i was wondering what y'all use for recovery after a good heavy workout......liek to treat a point of pain in back or a sore knee after heavy squats ......you knwo what i am talking about...not an injury but to replinish muscles for next week of heavy training....i am talking supplements and methods.......any suggestions brothers??

TigerAce01
10-08-09, 11:57 pm
Warm up is extremely important to recovery. I know it sounds weird, but my best recovery comes from workouts in which I warm up for at least 30 mins. Lots of stretching after warm up and after the workout, then a nice hot bath/shower with a menthol shower gel, followed by the use of a menthol muscle rub on the sore joints if I have them. Joint supplements help, as do aminos for sore muscles. Occasionally I do use some over the counter pain meds because I've had injuries to my knees, ankle, and shoulder, but most of the time I warm up enough to avoid any pain in the joints at all.

-Ace

BigChrisF
10-09-09, 12:18 am
Stretching after weight training. Forms of self massage like foam rolling. Alternating heat and ice on muscle groups or joints. Contrast baths or showers. Massage therapy from someone who knows deep tissue/ART therapy.

sideburnz
10-09-09, 12:39 am
GLUTAMINE.GLUCOSAMINE for healthier joints.

sunny_max
10-09-09, 1:24 am
Warm up is extremely important to recovery. I know it sounds weird, but my best recovery comes from workouts in which I warm up for at least 30 mins. Lots of stretching after warm up and after the workout, then a nice hot bath/shower with a menthol shower gel, followed by the use of a menthol muscle rub on the sore joints if I have them. Joint supplements help, as do aminos for sore muscles. Occasionally I do use some over the counter pain meds because I've had injuries to my knees, ankle, and shoulder, but most of the time I warm up enough to avoid any pain in the joints at all.

-Ace

warm up is the key!! yep thnx brother.......i do the hot bath too....but i actually pulled something in my back after a set of heavy deads and then jump[ing to barbell curls.....made me realize the importance of warmups and recovery....do you think ice baths are too unconventional or do they work?

Stretching after weight training. Forms of self massage like foam rolling. Alternating heat and ice on muscle groups or joints. Contrast baths or showers. Massage therapy from someone who knows deep tissue/ART therapy.

thnx for the info brother......

GLUTAMINE.GLUCOSAMINE for healthier joints.

yep i usue glutamine religiously...i appreciate the info bro...thnx....

BigChrisF
10-09-09, 4:40 am
Contrast baths are proven to be an effective recovery technique if you can pull them off. A simple way is to sit in a hot tub for while then jump in the pool. The greater the contrast the better. Sit for about 5-10 minutes for each. If you can't do that, an easier way is to do it in the shower. Heat it up as hot as you can stand it and direct the water on the specific muscle group for a few minutes, then crank it to cold for a few. Do this a couple times and you will feel better.

Big Wides
10-09-09, 6:06 am
For recovery after a good heavy workout is rest and eating food. Don't be afraid of carbs, yet your protein and healthy fats in as well. For joint pain if the next time your going to do an exercise that involves that joint, if its not feeling good, train another bodypart or go light.

Sho
10-09-09, 10:30 am
sleep

sunny_max
10-09-09, 11:27 pm
good info brothers........appreciate it.....

ronnie
10-09-09, 11:35 pm
warm up, do your buisness, stretch after, eat lots, use a hot waterbottle or any hot pack on the worked muscles to keep the blood flowing well. sleeping with firm pillow below your knees while laying face up can make your back feel wonderfull sometimes. i have yet to experiment with a foam roll but i plan to get one very soon.

sunny_max
10-10-09, 2:09 am
warm up, do your buisness, stretch after, eat lots, use a hot waterbottle or any hot pack on the worked muscles to keep the blood flowing well. sleeping with firm pillow below your knees while laying face up can make your back feel wonderfull sometimes. i have yet to experiment with a foam roll but i plan to get one very soon.

YEAH I WAS LOOKING THEM ONLINE...FOAM ROLLS HAVE SOME GOOD REVIEWS.....I MIGHT GET ME ONE.....I CANT SLEP WITH MY FACE UP BUT I WILL GIVE THAT PILLOW THING A SHOT...THNX BROTHER.....

100jan
10-10-09, 4:54 am
Stretching pre and post workout, glutamine, glucosamine for joints, hot and cold water massage.

shizz702
10-10-09, 7:48 am
Eat big, sleep big, recover big, lol.

The main thing is to eat enough and get plenty of sleep. I try to get a good 9-10 hrs sleep after a hard workout.

Foam rolling will help as well. Menthol rub is great for sore joints.

sunny_max
10-10-09, 8:26 am
Eat big, sleep big, recover big, lol.

The main thing is to eat enough and get plenty of sleep. I try to get a good 9-10 hrs sleep after a hard workout.

Foam rolling will help as well. Menthol rub is great for sore joints.

i hear ya man...i do the eat big part but the sleep big is a lil concern......i am part time model and we live real close to the property i work at....the most is get is 4-5hr straight sleep or just power naps as much as i can...or like a 12 hr sleep after 6-7 days!!!! does naps help or are they a waste of time????

ronnie
10-10-09, 11:16 am
naps are good for energy at least, not sure about recovery.

prowrestler
10-10-09, 1:45 pm
if your knees are gettin sore from squatting, you need to learn how to squat properley. - Dave Tate ... or one of the Elite FTS guys lol

foam roll, sleep alot, high protien, stretch.

Littlefry
10-10-09, 2:28 pm
1.Quick 5min warmup on bike
2.Streching with 5lb dumbbells for 5mins
3.Weight training/or cardio
4.Streching for 5mins again
5.Hot shower

Thats my basis and I seem to recover good, without soreness or Doms except on some leg training days.

theharjmann
10-10-09, 3:51 pm
especially if u train naturally....dont train with weights for more than 4 days a week. and its also benefitted me hugely from taking 1 hour naps on saturday and sunday when im not at work...

TigerAce01
10-10-09, 4:25 pm
especially if u train naturally....dont train with weights for more than 4 days a week. and its also benefitted me hugely from taking 1 hour naps on saturday and sunday when im not at work...

I've seen countless natural athletes train more than 4 times a week and keep improving, I know I do, and I know plenty of high school and college athletes that have never touched a performance enhancement drug and practice 6+ times a week. I also have seen several top elite level bodybuilders who are juiced to the gills feel that their bodies recovered best working out twice or three times a week, the most famous being Dorian Yates and Mark Dougdale. The debate between overtraining compared in natural and enhanced athletes is overhyped. It depends on how much your central nervous system can handle as an individual, and over time you can raise your anaerobic threshold. Look at Giant Killer, the guy's a natural pro and has more volume in his workouts than Arnold...

-Ace

sunny_max
10-11-09, 10:40 pm
if your knees are gettin sore from squatting, you need to learn how to squat properley. - Dave Tate ... or one of the Elite FTS guys lol

foam roll, sleep alot, high protien, stretch.
thnx brother...yes ia m working on my squat form right now...but i kinda messed ity up on incline leg press pne time...its good now and i can push weights again...i was just curious how to recover from it...appreciate it....

1.Quick 5min warmup on bike
2.Streching with 5lb dumbbells for 5mins
3.Weight training/or cardio
4.Streching for 5mins again
5.Hot shower

Thats my basis and I seem to recover good, without soreness or Doms except on some leg training days.
good advice bro....thnx

I've seen countless natural athletes train more than 4 times a week and keep improving, I know I do, and I know plenty of high school and college athletes that have never touched a performance enhancement drug and practice 6+ times a week. I also have seen several top elite level bodybuilders who are juiced to the gills feel that their bodies recovered best working out twice or three times a week, the most famous being Dorian Yates and Mark Dougdale. The debate between overtraining compared in natural and enhanced athletes is overhyped. It depends on how much your central nervous system can handle as an individual, and over time you can raise your anaerobic threshold. Look at Giant Killer, the guy's a natural pro and has more volume in his workouts than Arnold...

-Ace

agreed....i have done 6 days high volume and had good resulst from it.....i just workout 3 times now cause i dnt get the time......yep giant killer is an awesome example...good words there bro......

sunny_max
10-11-09, 10:41 pm

thnx for teh advice bro...btu yeah as ace said its more of a CNS thing and is different for individuals.....

J Wong
11-12-09, 3:18 pm
What do you guys do for recovery? Whether it's post workout, on your off days, etc. I used to take contrast showers and they seemed to work well, but recently I have been getting into my cold pool (trying to resemble an ice bath) for about 10 minutes or so, maybe a little less, then getting out and going into a hot shower. This makes me feel very fresh after my lifting session. I do this on the tough days (deadlift day, squat day, sometimes a bench workout). I always stretch post workout. On off days I either do some cardio or conditioning work, or take the whole entire day off and relax.

Just wondering what all you guys do for recovery.

Fury317
11-12-09, 3:28 pm
What do you guys do for recovery? Whether it's post workout, on your off days, etc. I used to take contrast showers and they seemed to work well, but recently I have been getting into my cold pool (trying to resemble an ice bath) for about 10 minutes or so, maybe a little less, then getting out and going into a hot shower. This makes me feel very fresh after my lifting session. I do this on the tough days (deadlift day, squat day, sometimes a bench workout). I always stretch post workout. On off days I either do some cardio or conditioning work, or take the whole entire day off and relax.

Just wondering what all you guys do for recovery.

Relax and stretch!!! No one stretches enough. Something you might want to look into is a foam roller. They are awesome and really cheap. Basically its pressed foam that you roll around on and use for myofacial release adn self massage. 20 bucks and they last a while.

Also on off days, I tend to up my cals, seems to help me recover faster.