PDA

View Full Version : The Deadlift and Proper Form

Mr. Thursday Night
11-27-07, 1:24 am
When doing deadlifts, make sure you have the proper form, as your deadlifts will skyrocket like mine did tonight...

I pulled 565, which is a 115 lb. improvement. Who knew that the proper form would add so much weight?

M...T...N

Seifer
11-27-07, 2:04 am
what WERE you doing (wrong)?

Mr. Thursday Night
11-27-07, 5:42 am
what WERE you doing (wrong)?

I was using my hips first, giving me sort of a stiff-legged deadlift effect.

Tron
11-27-07, 10:42 pm
Not only will you get a strength boost, but it's much safer for your body!

king1
11-27-07, 11:39 pm
Hopefully i can make a 115lb jump simply by changing my form, i doubt it though.

violator
11-28-07, 4:15 am
I was using my hips first, giving me sort of a stiff-legged deadlift effect.

so how did the lift differ this time?, i.e. what is ur version of proper form??

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 10:34 am
so how did the lift differ this time?, i.e. what is ur version of proper form??

Instead of standing and then hoisting the weight, I kept my ass in, back arched, and drove through the heels into the quads/hams.

ionacht
11-28-07, 10:58 am
When doing deadlifts, make sure you have the proper form, as your deadlifts will skyrocket like mine did tonight...

I pulled 565, which is a 115 lb. improvement. Who knew that the proper form would add so much weight?

M...T...N

Since you started this thread I feel I can ask this. Your sig indicates a pull of 500lbs with 2 1/2 lb plates. Since that would be 200 plates total, how the hell does that work?

mex.i.can
11-28-07, 11:10 am
thanks for the tip mtn. i did deads today for the first time in forever and it felt great. did 315lbs. effortlessly for a few reps with no gear. could've probably done a lot more but i want to take it easy since i did mess up my back while in the military; it feels good now and i don't want to ruin it again. i'll up my weight a little each week.

joe-yamma
11-28-07, 11:46 am
thanks for the pointers.
deadlift is one of the few exercises that i never learned to do (i know, gasp). i have recently started doing them, but only with light weights, working to get good form before i try to go heavy.
if we work back for our Pittsburgh ABC, maybe someone can check my form and i can see what i can do.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 12:04 pm
Since you started this thread I feel I can ask this. Your sig indicates a pull of 500lbs with 2 1/2 lb plates. Since that would be 200 plates total, how the hell does that work?

I have to use a 20 ft. bar. Believe me, it's not pretty.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 12:06 pm
thanks for the tip mtn. i did deads today for the first time in forever and it felt great. did 315lbs. effortlessly for a few reps with no gear. could've probably done a lot more but i want to take it easy since i did mess up my back while in the military; it feels good now and i don't want to ruin it again. i'll up my weight a little each week.

No problem, bro. Remember that the form is the key. If you hoist heavy weight in an incorrect manner, then you run the risk of doing major damage to your back.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 12:08 pm
thanks for the pointers.
deadlift is one of the few exercises that i never learned to do (i know, gasp). i have recently started doing them, but only with light weights, working to get good form before i try to go heavy.
if we work back for our Pittsburgh ABC, maybe someone can check my form and i can see what i can do.

No problem at all. Remember, the deadlift is a cornerstone of power lifting, so you want to do it right so you can get strong the right way.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 12:10 pm
Fellas--and ladies--another thing: make sure you have someone with you to make sure your form is correct; you're not going to be able to see yourself, even in the mirror, as you need to keep your head up and forward the whole time.

joe-yamma
11-28-07, 12:20 pm
Fellas--and ladies--another thing: make sure you have someone with you to make sure your form is correct; you're not going to be able to see yourself, even in the mirror, as you need to keep your head up and forward the whole time.
that's what's holding me back. i lift alone, so i need to find someone to help out in this regard.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 12:28 pm
that's what's holding me back. i lift alone, so i need to find someone to help out in this regard.

Get a TRUSTWORTHY training partner; someone who will push you to beyond your limits.

mex.i.can
11-28-07, 1:16 pm
unfortunately, i do not know anybody here that shares the same passion for iron as myself.

RogueLion
11-28-07, 1:39 pm
There is something real awesome about picking a spot on the ceiling and driving your heels through the ground as you pull massive weight. It's really satisfying.

Mr. Thursday Night
11-28-07, 2:44 pm
There is something real awesome about picking a spot on the ceiling and driving your heels through the ground as you pull massive weight. It's really satisfying.

Agreed. I'm one of those guys who, unfortunately, relies on the two most impractical types of strength:

1. Retard strength
2. "Dad" strength

It's a blessing and a curse at the same time! Instead of relying on proper technique, I hoist the weights like a savage.

jeff00z28
11-28-07, 4:28 pm
im pretty sure my form sucks. sometiems i hit a weight really easy for a few reps. Then i increase it the next week by 5 lbs and the bar wont go anywhere. This kinda helped me http://www.fiercebodybuilding.com/upload/showthread.php?t=840, but i guess i need to do it w/ some other people that can help. I usually don't max out on d/l anyway however but i would still like to be able to do more

gsb239
11-28-07, 4:32 pm
I have to use a 20 ft. bar. Believe me, it's not pretty.

hahahah u got any pictures of this? i would love to see!

Mr. Thursday Night
11-29-07, 12:49 pm
hahahah u got any pictures of this? i would love to see!

Those photos were confiscated; they'll be used to commit me to the mental ward at Bellevue.

foxhoundbb
12-04-07, 11:02 pm
I added deadlifts into my back regimen about 2 months ago and what can I say I love them. The only thing is that sometimes when I get up and lift I get a pinching feeling sort of in the middle of my back by my left shoulder blade. And I only get it when I do my warm up set. The next day I feel fine (my back is sore of course) but it is weird. Its not that heavy (125 x 12 warm up) my back is straight as so is my face direction. Any suggestions on what it can be? Thanks

BigAnt
12-04-07, 11:52 pm
I added deadlifts into my back regimen about 2 months ago and what can I say I love them. The only thing is that sometimes when I get up and lift I get a pinching feeling sort of in the middle of my back by my left shoulder blade. And I only get it when I do my warm up set. The next day I feel fine (my back is sore of course) but it is weird. Its not that heavy (125 x 12 warm up) my back is straight as so is my face direction. Any suggestions on what it can be? Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you warming up good, I mean...core body temp with a 5-8 min. walk on the tread...what about stretching, maybe try some rear delt work also...very light reverse pec-dec and shrugs prior to your next deadlift session...

foxhoundbb
12-05-07, 12:08 am
I am stretching but not really warming up. Thanks for the advice, ill for sure try what u suggested on my next session. Thanks

Last Rep
12-05-07, 12:15 am
sounds familiar. my roommate used to have that problem about 9 months ago. he was keeping his back straight but was letting his shoulders roll forward. Gotta keep the shoulders back and stick out your chest. I corrected him(Really noticable), and he just about doubles his deadlift in a run of 9 months. He just pulled 435 a couple of times the other day. Nothing beats deadlifts.

foxhoundbb
12-05-07, 1:19 am
I never thought about it, but, yea I am letting my shoulders roll when I do lift it. Thanks for all the good advice, really appreciate it.

malink
01-24-08, 8:02 pm
ok guys...my current deadlift is about 250but after my 3 sets of 8 reps my lower back is tight and pretty tense...like a small tension but i can still move all around and strech...I know my back is straight and that i can do a proper deadlift but is it nomrla to experience that. After 1 hour, the tension go away

any ideas????

Brick By Brick
01-24-08, 8:07 pm
If your form is solid, I would be curious about a few other things. What sort of warm-up are you doing? Do you wear a belt? Is your ab work sufficient to work in harmony with your lower back on heavy DLs? Is the rest of your posterior chain solid? I'm no expert, just a few ideas.
If your lower back is just tense, but isn't painful, I don't know if that's necessarily abnormal or bad. Maybe just a normal reaction due to overloading a particular muscle group.

malink
01-24-08, 8:11 pm
i come in the gym....15 minutes of GOOD streching anf then i do 30 pullups in 3 sets and BANG deadlift time but ive started doing them since 1 month....i started off with the bart only just to get the good form and get a feel and since then i just keep going up in weights but idk about that tension :S

Brick By Brick
01-24-08, 9:23 pm
Maybe do the DLs right after you stretch and do the pull-ups on shoulder or back day? Or after the DLs?

dominate77
01-24-08, 9:26 pm
is it a really tight feeling? it's probably just pumped with blood

LHS Monster
01-24-08, 9:31 pm
i get this all the time esp after reverse hypers its pumped your experiencing a pump no diff. from the one in your arms only everyone in the world is afraid of "back pain" so they get jumpy it will go away after some light rest normal as long as its a tense not a pain if the muscles feel knotted up and tight then a pump if its a soreness then it has to be your form

scrawn2brawn
03-22-08, 11:03 am
what is the proper way to do deadlifts and is it for backs or hamstrings?

ralf_snake
03-23-08, 4:05 pm
Is this all true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc

mcbeast
03-23-08, 4:42 pm
Get technique down pat,form an approach to maximize your poundages on the deadlift and SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LIFT...

My 2 cents..

need2getBIG
03-23-08, 5:09 pm
Get technique down pat,form an approach to maximize your poundages on the deadlift and SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LIFT...

My 2 cents..

i second that,technique is the most important,focus on weight later,if your form sucks youll get injured

BrotherInArms
03-23-08, 11:30 pm
Let this serve this as a reminder to us all.. Let even the most seasoned vet examine their form every so often.

bigforgood1
03-11-09, 11:56 pm
i hit a 455x1 DL today, and got it on video. Just want to see what the FORVM thinks of my form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33GRmW5kNk

shizz702
03-12-09, 12:03 am
Not bad at all bro, solid lift.

Only two pointers I'd give is make sure the bar is touching the shins at the start of the pull, and do not over exaggerate the lockout and hyperextend your back like that. Other than, good job bro, strong pull.

bigforgood1
03-12-09, 12:16 am
iight, its just that thats really the first time i did over 405, so i was a little skeptical about it.

shizz702
03-12-09, 12:23 am
iight, its just that thats really the first time i did over 405, so i was a little skeptical about it.

Yea bro that's some heavy pulling, very impressive for a 16 year old. Good form too, considering you were maxing out.

Here's a vid on setup that has helped me a lot and will help you understand what I mean about the shins touching the bar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

set up like this every time and you can't go wrong

getapump
03-12-09, 3:08 pm
and i thought the blair witch project had shitty camera work... lol j/k bro. nice weight 4 a 16 year old... keep up the good work

Semprini
03-12-09, 3:18 pm
Here's a vid on setup that has helped me a lot and will help you understand what I mean about the shins touching the bar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Good looks bro!!

IRBS
03-12-09, 3:37 pm
Good pull man. Focus on getting back on your heels more and off of your toes. Overall, not bad.

IRBS

Elite
03-12-09, 4:19 pm
That was the easiest PR i've ever seen. You had loads more in the tank. Yea, def listen to shizz & IRBS and you cant go wrong. I think you have more PR's in you now, especially with the guidance shown.

1qazx
03-12-09, 4:34 pm
thanks guys, i got shit on bb.com, so i came here where people actually know what they are talking about and you guys have better criticism. thanks again.

ironbound
03-12-09, 5:07 pm
Nice! You could have done more. If you're not red in the face and about to shit your pants, it's not your max!!!

Sidle
03-12-09, 5:37 pm
Good job bro.
You make me feel like a pussy now, haha.
I'm 18, and your out lifting me.
I shouldn't have taken a break from lifting.
Thanks for the motivation though.

Go for 500!
Props on not using straps too.
I can never do more than 315 without straps. =\

ironbound
03-12-09, 6:18 pm
I can never do more than 315 without straps. =\

Yeah same! I have good forearms, but my grip is weeeeeeeak.

bigforgood1
03-12-09, 10:41 pm
from these posts, i think im going for 475 next back day, its just that im going up slowly.

-and about the straps, i just got forearm/grip strength from deadlift in general.

oh and wow, i realized i used my other account to make posts, i made this account because i forgot the pass and name to the other one but it was saved to my other computer.

Mattman33
03-12-09, 10:48 pm

love the video. thanks for posting. something he said that really peaked my interest was to keep your feet width in vertical jump distance. i am much wider, and plan on putting that to work on sat.

nice lift BFG1, especially for your age....

msktyshha
10-28-09, 11:31 am
wats the correct way to perform deadlifts? some people say u must take ur butt down as u let the bar touch the ground and some say u shouldnt take ur butt too down cuz u'll b using mostly quads when coming back up. i know ur back must be straight but if i don't take my butt too down i get my back rolled. so guys for the last time whats the most proper way to perform a deadlift? any videos or pictures would be extremely helpful

prowrestler
10-28-09, 11:39 am
depends. we are all different and have different levrages to work with.

normaly a 5 foot 5 and a 6 foot 5 guy will pull differently.

if your back is straight and tight, your gonna be fine.

go watch some youtube videos of matt kroc. i like his DL style and the guys pulled over 800 in a meet

msktyshha
10-28-09, 12:13 pm
u sort of resolved my problem cuz i was looking at a guy who was around 6'3 and he was doing his lift wid his legs straight he had just a little bit of bend at the knees and he was moving thru his legs at all. while me at 5'9 i usually take my butt down with my shoulders.

Ady
10-28-09, 12:18 pm
Just make sure your back is straight and everything is tight, everything else will fall into place

Peace

Dr.Platypus
10-28-09, 12:37 pm
yeah, gotta stay tight, don't let your back roll unless you want to get injured. I

mritter3
10-28-09, 1:39 pm
back straight abs tight, and head up, follow these and your fine.

msktyshha
10-28-09, 8:40 pm
the way i do it i feel my hams working more. how do i perform the deadlift so it would help me get a wider and thicker back? i see some guys leaning alot forward in their lift...what do u guys have in ur mind when u r performing ur deads so u know that ur performing it correctly.

prowrestler
10-28-09, 9:12 pm
the way i do it i feel my hams working more. how do i perform the deadlift so it would help me get a wider and thicker back? i see some guys leaning alot forward in their lift...what do u guys have in ur mind when u r performing ur deads so u know that ur performing it correctly.

deads get your lower back and spinal erectors bigger.

for width/thickness, you need barbell rows and pullups.

shizz702
10-28-09, 9:20 pm
You only need to squat down as far as needed to the point where you hands grip the bar, while keeping your arms straight.

As said the starting position varies from individual structures, a taller guy like myself is gonna use much more hams and lower back than a shorter guy.

But regardless the fundamental set up for everyone should look something like this: http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/squat-deadlift.jpg

Here's a vid with great set up tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

msktyshha
10-28-09, 9:40 pm
that pic and the video helped totallyyyy thank you so muchh

desolation
11-03-09, 10:48 pm
deads get your lower back and spinal erectors bigger.

for width/thickness, you need barbell rows and pullups.

not to disagree with u but deads do work ur upper back too, especially the trap area, it doesnt emphasise it specifically but alot of ppl recomend the deadlift for overall back width nd thickness

if u want to focus more on ur upper back do racked deadlifts in a power rack - do either from just below knees or just above knees nd dnt be afraid to stack the weights on either

as far as techniques goes that vid showed eveything - just keep ur back tight nd u will be fine

TigerAce01
11-03-09, 11:08 pm
not to disagree with u but deads do work ur upper back too, especially the trap area, it doesnt emphasise it specifically but alot of ppl recomend the deadlift for overall back width nd thickness

if u want to focus more on ur upper back do racked deadlifts in a power rack - do either from just below knees or just above knees nd dnt be afraid to stack the weights on either

as far as techniques goes that vid showed eveything - just keep ur back tight nd u will be fine

I agree, especially if you mess with your grip and get creative. A snatch grip dealift absolutely fries my traps, and a narrow grip even gets my rear delts.

-Ace

prowrestler
11-04-09, 12:21 am

staticaly, yes.but there are better ways to go get big traps.

a quick check on the human anatomy will tell you so.

prowrestler
11-04-09, 1:11 am

u no a seated calf extension hits my whole body, frys my grip to un rack it, deeply burns my quads cuz they support the machine right, and makes my calves burn like mad, i also clench my jaw real hard so it works my massetar muscles 2 right...

every lift normaly makes all muscles work. but that doesnt mean much. the muscle that gets put under the most stress and overload will grow.

ur lats will contract AS WITH alll your other muscles during the deadlift.

a deadlift = knee extension and hip extension...how that is a lat exercise is beyond me lol

desolation
11-04-09, 4:21 pm
u no a seated calf extension hits my whole body, frys my grip to un rack it, deeply burns my quads cuz they support the machine right, and makes my calves burn like mad, i also clench my jaw real hard so it works my massetar muscles 2 right...

every lift normaly makes all muscles work. but that doesnt mean much. the muscle that gets put under the most stress and overload will grow.

ur lats will contract AS WITH alll your other muscles during the deadlift.

a deadlift = knee extension and hip extension...how that is a lat exercise is beyond me lol

serioulsy how u can compare a pewny exercise like seated calf raised to a deadlift is beyond me nd is pretty fukn insulting

and as for how it works is simple - the shear weight being lifted will strain all ur muscles intensly, rack deadlift allow to add more weight due to the decrease of distance the bar has to travel, increasing the strain of weight on upperbody, it also eliminates majority of leg work. no it may not be the best for width nd thickness but it definetly adds alot to the work out nd is a true testament to ur manhood

prowrestler
11-04-09, 5:04 pm
serioulsy how u can compare a pewny exercise like seated calf raised to a deadlift is beyond me nd is pretty fukn insulting

and as for how it works is simple - the shear weight being lifted will strain all ur muscles intensly, rack deadlift allow to add more weight due to the decrease of distance the bar has to travel, increasing the strain of weight on upperbody, it also eliminates majority of leg work. no it may not be the best for width nd thickness but it definetly adds alot to the work out nd is a true testament to ur manhood

i laughed when i read "is pretty fukn insulting"....ummm im sorry?

for testing my manhood, ill do other things. i personly weight lift to be bigger and stronger.

it doesnt take the legs out, it shortens the ROM. over loading the top of the lift.

i never compared a dl to a calf raise, that was an example of how everything makes all your muscles work. even a calf raise.

by the way, it doesnt always decrease weight lifted. im an example of that. my weakness is DL lock out, im strong off the floor. so when i train weak spots, im weaker, thus, less weight is lifted.

why would you say "its not the best for width and thickness"? are you not tryin to prove me wrong?
so my post it took seriously, im aiming to deadlift 600 in my first meet at 19 years old in the 198's.

im not tryin to take shots at you man, just speakin on this. i have strong feelings on DL related topics lol

Cstlfx
11-04-09, 9:12 pm
For deadlifting, I have a body most like Ed Coan (but damn do I wish I had that strength!!).

Check out Youtube for videos of him deadlifting. He does both sumo and conventional. He said his tactic was to tighten his muscles and then bring his body down to the bar until he was so compressed that he couldnt go any further. Then he'd take the slack out of the bar and pull up.

If I can do 3/4s of what Coan has done, I'll be happy with my powerlifting.

JasonG
11-04-09, 10:47 pm
I think deads are a good general thickness exercise. Sure you need rows for direct work on thickness, but I tell you what after a heavy ass dead day I feel that shit all the way up in my traps too.

desolation
11-05-09, 11:01 am
i laughed when i read "is pretty fukn insulting"....ummm im sorry?

for testing my manhood, ill do other things. i personly weight lift to be bigger and stronger.

it doesnt take the legs out, it shortens the ROM. over loading the top of the lift.

i never compared a dl to a calf raise, that was an example of how everything makes all your muscles work. even a calf raise.

by the way, it doesnt always decrease weight lifted. im an example of that. my weakness is DL lock out, im strong off the floor. so when i train weak spots, im weaker, thus, less weight is lifted.

why would you say "its not the best for width and thickness"? are you not tryin to prove me wrong?
so my post it took seriously, im aiming to deadlift 600 in my first meet at 19 years old in the 198's.

im not tryin to take shots at you man, just speakin on this. i have strong feelings on DL related topics lol

first of all i apologise that came out wrong, i typed it in a hurry b4 work nd i wanted to change it but it was too late. i meant to say it is very wrong to compare nd a big difference inbetween the 2 exercises because there is no way u can compare the strain during any calf raise to dat of a deadlift, nd i thought that was what u were implying with the "u no a seated calf extension hits my whole body, frys my grip to un rack it, deeply burns my quads cuz they support the machine right," line

nyways about the manhood i dnt knw how u took it but it was supposed to be along the lines of truely testing urself (again bad choice of words on my part). nd it is not the most targeting specific but u cnt deny that it will tear ur whole body up (especially the back & legs) if done properly due to the shear strain of the weight on body.

nyways once again ma bad for making it sound screwed up previously - miscommunication on my part nd bad way of putting ma point across, hopefully no hard feelings

prowrestler
11-05-09, 11:15 am
it will hit the back and legs like a beast, for sure.

my real despise is when people say back and mean lats. cuz no it fucking doesnt.

back as in lower back and spinal erectors, fuck ya, itll make it look like you got anacondas coiled up to your neck from your lower back.

will it overload your lats? harldy...does flexing your lats hard get them bigger then bb rows and pullups? no. thats what happens when you DL. the lats simply flex with ALL the bodys other muscles.

i hope my point is clear.

desolation
11-05-09, 12:10 pm
i gt ur point but the only thing i would argue is that there is a difference between just flexing ur lats nd havin a massive weight trying to rip em apart. nd by no means am i saying they are better then bb rows/chins but doing them with addition to the others should hav good effects.

glad to hav cleared that mess up