PDA

View Full Version : Meditation for the Animal

LegendKillerJosh
11-30-07, 10:37 pm
Ever sit there in the gym, resting between a set, and your mind is saying "that guy is only using that much weight, jesus look at what that chick is wearin, boy that guy trains chest every time he's in here?" It's easy to get distracted in the gym. So take some time, between sets, to FOCUS. You are there to improve yourself, who cares about anyone else there. I challenge any of you, next time you are at the gym, not to look at anyone else the entire workout. Not as easy as it sounds, but I guarantee it will help. Only focus on what you're about to do, and go one full workout only tihnking about yourself. Take the challenge.

mbrennan85
12-01-07, 12:15 am
I am definetly guilty of looking at other people and critiquing them instead of paying attention to myself. While I was deployed, I worked out in a gym with no mirrors. It was the best place I have ever lifted because I did not look at any one else, only myself. The only mirror in the place was in front of the cage and that was nice so I could make sure I went down far enough when doing squats. I wish gyms did not have mirrors. I want a gym like the one that Wrath works out in Animal Arms. That is one savage gym. No one around to distract and just the bare equipment. I love it.

Tron
12-01-07, 1:29 am
Good philosophy. The focus is a key to an amazing work out.

Energizer
12-01-07, 4:02 am
Thanks for the advice.

rainwave
12-01-07, 5:15 am
Good advice bro.

Riesjs
12-01-07, 12:10 pm
It is hard not to critique others when we critique our own selves all the time...like JLK said, its time to FOCUS!

Torque757
12-02-07, 7:22 pm
Ever sit there in the gym, resting between a set, and your mind is saying "that guy is only using that much weight, jesus look at what that chick is wearin, boy that guy trains chest every time he's in here?" It's easy to get distracted in the gym. So take some time, between sets, to FOCUS. You are there to improve yourself, who cares about anyone else there. I challenge any of you, next time you are at the gym, not to look at anyone else the entire workout. Not as easy as it sounds, but I guarantee it will help. Only focus on what you're about to do, and go one full workout only tihnking about yourself. Take the challenge.

My goal when I go lift is to NOT make eye contact with anybody.

jeff00z28
12-02-07, 8:21 pm
i find it better to not think about lifting at all in between sets. Sometimes i psych myself out and it makes me lift less. One time i was going to do a simple set of 4 on d/l and i couldn't do it because i obsessed over it too much and i ended up launching my belt up into the air and felt pretty stupid and immature afterwards.

Hoffdogg
12-03-07, 3:25 pm
I usually keep my hat pulled real low, and rarely make eye contact with anyone while working out. My ipod loud enough to drown out the gym pop music and the conversations around me.

I do admit the occasional distraction may walk by, but luckily that is not often in my gym.

sanga
03-28-09, 11:48 am
When I was in the cage Vinny asked me where the name Sanga came from, I explained that its the name for a family of buddhist monks and that I`d studied Tibetian buddhism for 18 months some years ago, in which time I did a lot of meditation daily, the name I liked and so used for my forum name.

Originally I went to meditation classes to calm myself down and to help with the stress of life, it worked so well I became interested in other aspects of buddhism so went to classes regularly.

Vinny also asked me if I still did meditation, I said no as I don`t need it, well I have been reflecting on that short converstaion for a while now as I do need it, I realised I cope better with stress and due to the meditation classes I deal with everyday stress in a positive way but thats not to say it doesn`t take its toll on me mentally.

I am about to return to meditation on a daily basis, first thing in the morning or last thing at night or both, not only is it calming but it also gives you focus and direction, this can only be positive in your goals for a better physique, a bigger total in your lifting or weight loss and in your everyday life.

Have any of you done or are currently doing meditation?

mritter3
03-28-09, 11:52 am
i meditate from time to time, it is a great stress releaser, kind of brings everything back in sync after destroyer our bodies in the gym. nice post sanga.

violator
03-30-09, 2:06 am
Every day man.....i mainly practice visualization & seeding emotions in the visualization....
by this i mean, visualise what i want/ goal to achieve and then picture myself reaching that goal and the feeling that comes with it....an amazing tool....i do it for 5 mins everyday after ive showered, about an hour before gym....whether im focusing on the next big lift, or something at work, or in my relationship....it makes a HUGE difference....
as for pure meditation, as in clearing ones mind and focusing on nothingness....i do it too, but not as regularly....like after a really stressful week....or on a weeknd when im bored......

the power of the mind is greater than any muscle, and should be regularly exercised....

good post sanga.....

pmug0000
03-30-09, 1:24 pm
I had a class on Tibetan Buddhism last year, taught by a Tibetan Buddhist monk (who oddly enough was a woman). And one of the requirements was to go to her monastary for meditation classes three times during the semester.
Over the course of my college career I've been to I think a total of nine Buddhist and Hindu temples (one of my majors is religion) and seen a number of different styles of meditation. It was pretty cool, but I don't really do it on my own.

Elite
03-30-09, 1:49 pm
Is it possible to harbour the aggression still and unleash it to your advantage (the gym), yet remain tranquil throughout the rest of the day. Can it all be controlled?

sanga
03-30-09, 4:24 pm
Is it possible to harbour the aggression still and unleash it to your advantage (the gym), yet remain tranquil throughout the rest of the day. Can it all be controlled?

Yes but takes a lot of practice and varies greatly from individual.

The only thing I can advise is to attend a meditation class and then go from there.

A simple meditation is to close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing, everytime your mind wanders bring it back to your breath, breath normally, it takes some practice but soon you will be able to do it for longer periods, you can then switch it to focussing on others things, that 500lb squat for instance, practice over and over again is what is required.

NJC_Manhattan
03-30-09, 4:48 pm
When I was in the cage Vinny asked me where the name Sanga came from, I explained that its the name for a family of buddhist monks and that I`d studied Tibetian buddhism for 18 months some years ago, in which time I did a lot of meditation daily, the name I liked and so used for my forum name.

Originally I went to meditation classes to calm myself down and to help with the stress of life, it worked so well I became interested in other aspects of buddhism so went to classes regularly.

Vinny also asked me if I still did meditation, I said no as I don`t need it, well I have been reflecting on that short converstaion for a while now as I do need it, I realised I cope better with stress and due to the meditation classes I deal with everyday stress in a positive way but thats not to say it doesn`t take its toll on me mentally.

I am about to return to meditation on a daily basis, first thing in the morning or last thing at night or both, not only is it calming but it also gives you focus and direction, this can only be positive in your goals for a better physique, a bigger total in your lifting or weight loss and in your everyday life.

Have any of you done or are currently doing meditation?

Buddhism, or basically the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, and meditation is really supposed to help--literally cure you--of the 4 noble truths, and thus pursue the path toward Enlightenment and Nirvana.

The types of Buddhist meditation are...

From the Pali Canon
- Buddha's four foundations for mindfulness
- Messengers of Nibbana: Serenity and insight

From the Pali Commentaries
- Kuei-feng's 5 types of zen

Individuals, however, use the techniques for the pursuit of physical and mental health. I have tried some meditation, but not in the traditional sense of sitting cross-legged (dont know formal term for this) with my hands in bhavacakra (wheel of becoming aka wheel of life) it kinda looks like one hand over the other with palms facing each other. I do, however, meditate during cardio/steam room and clear my mind completely.

weedlewott
03-31-09, 12:58 am
I like what everyone said. Meditating before a workout usually helps me. I like to sit there and think about what I want to get done and then do it. Cardio is a wonderful way to meditate. I find myself running further than I intended to when I do it though. I enjoy just "zoning out" and letting my thoughts go to where ever. I never thought of it as meditation though. Thanks Bro. You helped put it all in perspective for me. At least now I know where I can start.

Mickey
03-31-09, 4:48 am
I meditated daily a few years back. I had a friend who was buddhist and the shit interested me. I loved it and the feeling that came with it, and now I can't frankly remember why I quit. lol

victore
04-12-09, 12:02 am
Wow how cool to find this thread. Meditation is an ultimate on so many different levels. I use to be a long distance runner when I was first introduced to it. My coach would lead visual meditations prior to big races and I was blown away by how much better my results were. I have been doing meditation off and on for years. Recently I have been practicing Vipassana styly meditation, which is a style that directly confronts the ego. Yo udo this by learning how to control the unconcious mind. All those bad habits and self-limiting behaviors are rooted in the unconcious mind. I have been using meditation to help curb self-defeating thoughts and it works.
I went to my first ten day silent meditation retreat this year. When I came out of it I made huge gains in my lifts...one in particular went up 40 lbs in two weeks, which shocked me. I kept checking the machine like is this right?? Now I go to a regular group on Sundays (in addition to a regular practice) and go to the gym directly afterwards to do my weekly squats and legs routine...bam!! I am doing so much more and with better form. My focus to get really into my work-outs is 100 percent after meditating. I have even gone so far as to just do a quick sit at they gym for 5-10 mins before a workout just to let the kinks unravel and be really present with what I am here for.
Just in regular life it is awesome too. I find myself making better choices, saying the right words instead of cramming my foot in my mouth and feeling more content with what is here in reality now.
I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks they may be interested. Feel free to pm me for any sharing or info you may like. Thanks for this thread...just another found inspiration on this forum!

sanga
04-12-09, 7:28 am
Great post mate, thanks for the pm and congratulations on the lifts.

"When you lose small mind you free your life! When you free your life eternal prize"

Now the above are two lines from S.O.A.D. song Ariels but its so spot on its scarey, but in reality how many of us do it? Not many as we are all obsessing about tomorrows meeting, getting to the gym on time, getting that loan for a new car, making sure we earn enough money to go to The Cage next year and so on, we are all in this rat race but for a few minutes a day you can lose all the crap and focus on meditation, you will be amazed at what effect it has on your life and the outcome of things around you.

xMATT182x
04-12-09, 7:58 am
Great post sanga, glad to hear other people harness their minds too. When I was in my early teens I had a big anger problem and a lot of family issues that fueled them. I had to learn to channel all my stress and anger in order to control it and I ultimately learned how to tap into it and use it.I manage my stress much the same way these days and it makes a huge difference in my workouts and daily lifee It's great to hear about meditation on here, again great post man.

Maccabee
05-16-10, 12:40 am
Anyone have any ideas on this. Like books or examples. I just started doing this. I sit down and just try to clear my mind for about 30 minutes.

Let me hear your ideas on this. What are your experiences?

mdh84
05-16-10, 2:09 am
I haven't read too much about meditation per say, but I just read the book Super Squats and for a few pages it talks about deep breathing and relaxation techniques that you can do before a big lift or heavy set to help you focus. It then says to practice the techniques before going to sleep to help get you used to the relaxed and focused state of mind. Pretty interesting stuff. Hope this helps

IRONADDICT45
05-16-10, 9:40 am
meditation is such a useful tool to use guys. As much as you need to know when and how to "crank it up" you also must be able to quiet your mind, it works better when you can lower the volume at will. I have great mental and physical benefits from even 10-30 mins when i can, if you have music that helps, if not just listen to your breathing and slowly put things into perspective before you're done.

hope that helps you guys, best of luck always

Legacy
05-16-10, 11:40 am
I don't do meditation, however I do use relaxation variations. Its a 20 minute audio clip that takes you through a relaxation routine that deals with letting your muscles come loose and breathing. Very good when you need to get away from everything.

Girevik 69
05-16-10, 11:53 am
I don't meditate per se, but I'm big on visualization--eg., repeatedly picturing myself executing a certain lift with a certain weight, with perfect form. This kind of mental training was pioneered by Dr. Aladar Kogler, the Hungarian fencing coach who worked for the Communists, back in the day. Kogler wrote:

"When an athlete imagines certain movements, a specific system of neural connections is activated. When the image is repeated over and over, the tenuous system of these nerve connections is strengthened and thus improves the physical execution of the movement. If the student imagines the correct exectution of a particular movement, the correct system of nerve connections will be strengthened."

korinek00
05-16-10, 2:37 pm
I'm actually just taking up meditation. Starting at 10 minutes a day and gradually adding time. I think being able to quiet and clear your mind is of huge benefit. Improving focus, attention span, and being able to stay calm in stressful situations. First time I sat down for 10 minutes, thoughts were racing through my head about 100 different things and it was hard to sit still. Being able to stay calm, centered, relaxed, clear minded, and balanced. Yup, meditation is something I'm adding to my daily regime, why workout the body and not the mind?

Maccabee
05-16-10, 4:08 pm
I had the same experience. I had hundreds of thoughts in my mind. Things were coming up in my mind that I never thought was there.

LegendKillerJosh
05-17-10, 12:43 pm
When I'm driving to the gym, I don't play any music. I want my car to be silent. All I do when I'm on my way is just try to focus on what I'm about to put myself through. I know their is going to be pain, and I really need to get that siege mentality going. I focus on the muscle groups I'm going to hit that day, and concentrate on having total control of the muscles and imagine what it's going to feel like when the weight is moving up and down.

Cellardweller
05-17-10, 8:58 pm
Anyone have any ideas on this. Like books or examples. I just started doing this. I sit down and just try to clear my mind for about 30 minutes.

Let me hear your ideas on this. What are your experiences?

Not Always So by Shunryu Suzuki

Deltoid
05-17-10, 9:08 pm
I'm gonna try this tommorrow.

Deltoid
05-18-10, 10:57 am
Just got back from the Gym. And just so you guys know, I failed miserably. Everytime I caught myself staring at someone I tried so hard to look away but then I looked back up like 5 seconds later haha. This is hard! But I usually do have good works so if I try this more it'll only enhance my workouts. It was on my 1-2 minute breaks that I was looking around like a fucking prairie dog coming out of a hole in the ground.

Maccabee
05-18-10, 1:08 pm
Just got back from the Gym. And just so you guys know, I failed miserably. Everytime I caught myself staring at someone I tried so hard to look away but then I looked back up like 5 seconds later haha. This is hard! But I usually do have good works so if I try this more it'll only enhance my workouts. It was on my 1-2 minute breaks that I was looking around like a fucking prairie dog coming out of a hole in the ground.

I used to do the same thing and it would ruin my form. My neck would move from side to side, and that aint to safe. I just pick a spot on the wall and stare at it.

Another thing I like to do is I stand a few feet away from the squat rack and just relax. Control your breathing.

When the time comes to do the next set I step into the squat rack and I become more aware and aggresive NATURALLY. I kind of conditioned my mind to quickly change into a different state by just coming closer to the bar.

I dont yell or anything like that, I just become more aware. Since I have started doing this I have become more successful in my training. I am no longer behind schedule. I am actually ahead of schedule now.

Mind is everything. Peace.

Deltoid
05-18-10, 4:02 pm
Haha, I usually blare my music so I can't hear myself yelling (or tell how loud I am). It's only when I'm doing forced reps though.

korinek00
05-18-10, 11:23 pm

Like a fuckin' prairie dog. Priceless. Hahaha... My gym is small, SMALL, forget trying not to look at people, I'm trying not to fuckin' breathe on anybody. It has to be no larger than like 20x40 feet, just a box. More than 2 people and it's crowded.

Aggression
05-19-10, 12:20 pm
I've had some of the best workouts in my life at my hometown gym of Toms River Fitness on Friday nights. I'd walk in at 8pm and it'd be deserted. Everyone is already showered up, rocking their button ups, pre-gaming for the night. Meanwhile, I'm in a gym all on my own, blowing my arms up with free range of any and all equipment. I'm all alone and I have no distractions. Complete focus and intensity.

That being said, I've also had some of the best workouts at certain gyms, like Apollon Gym in Edison or Jersey Shore Fitness where the population at the current time is nothing but serious men/women. Being in the gym at a time like that, you can feel the electricity soo much, it almost injects some of its power into you, allowing you to squeeze out an extra rep or two, or add another 10lbs to your previous best lift.

Birdman
05-19-10, 12:46 pm
May sound weird but when I'm laying in the tanning bed I "meditate." Haven't been in a while thought. Just the gentle hum of the bed and warmness send me to complete nothingness in my mind. Best 20 minutes of my day.

Deltoid
05-19-10, 3:05 pm
Hopefully I'll be getting a job at a Gold's Gym near me soon. That way I can change gyms and have the convenience of having a free membership.