PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Grip: Questions & Answers

BoomCrane
12-09-07, 11:34 am
Hey fellas, I like using an overhand grip when deadlifting, both palms facing me. I have read that you should have one grip overhand and the other underhand. Why do this? muscle growth, technique, does it make it easier to actually lift the weight? Please explain.

Young&Hungry
12-09-07, 11:50 am
Hey fellas, I like using an overhand grip when deadlifting, both palms facing me. I have read that you should have one grip overhand and the other underhand. Why do this? muscle growth, technique, does it make it easier to actually lift the weight? Please explain.

The under-over is a more traditional grip and a lot more people use it. It's pretty easy to hold the weight this way, but if you go extremely heavy on deads with this grip you risk tearing a bicep.

If you can go double overhand, more power to you. It's a much harder grip to learn but once you get used to it, it has a better grip than over-under and you will not be able to tear a bicep that way.

big H
12-09-07, 12:43 pm
its kind of a simple reason really but most people put more emphasis on whats more comfortable rather than what grip you can lift more weight with. with a hook grip or overhand grip or whatever you want to call it, your using your forarm muscles to stop the bar from rolling out of your hands, think of a behind the back wrist curl. with an over under grip, you can usually pull more because you are still using your forarm strength but your hands are facing diferent directions, so that you are almost twisting the bar. with an over under grip the bar cannot roll out of your hands like with an over hand ..when i get past 365 i usually switch to an over under grip, or toss on my straps. hope it helps bro.

ionacht
12-10-07, 9:34 am
Search "Hook grip". The hook grip is NOT the same as a regular overhand grip. I personally have a very hard time with the hook grip because I have small hands. Look over Sgt. Rock's posts. He is the man for the hook grip.

hjayss
12-29-07, 7:27 am
600 hook grip...
http://media.putfile.com/SGT-Rocks-600x10-Deadlift-at-NERB

MonTanaMusCle
12-30-07, 2:14 am
600 hook grip...
http://media.putfile.com/SGT-Rocks-600x10-Deadlift-at-NERB

Thats Insane !!!

B-rad89
02-18-09, 8:34 pm
Which do you choose and why?

Personally I use the overhand. Why? Haven't really found a reason.

Gambit
02-18-09, 8:55 pm
I rock the hook grip until my forearms won't hold the weight. Once I hit my final weight, I strap in and keep it overhand.

BryanSmash!
02-18-09, 9:35 pm

If you can deadlift with a clean grip more power to you. Most people find it way too painful when the sets get heavy. I personally use an over under grip- it keeps the bar from rotating, which makes it easier to hold on to.

Stovall
02-18-09, 9:41 pm
I mix it up every week. I don't want to be consistant. I try to make sure both arms are worked with the same angles. Just me though

sodapop
02-18-09, 9:42 pm
I normally go with double overhand, but today I used over under.

Big3
02-18-09, 10:55 pm

Once the weight gets heavy, you either have to go hook grip or over under....

I recently started doing all my deadlifting and clean/snatch with the hook grip because I feel the bar is more secure that way, and I don't want to tear my bicep into a thousand fibres.....

trainer89
02-18-09, 11:57 pm
All I use is overhand grip. Today was the first day I used straps and I love them! They make a huge diffrence. I also find them comfortable too.

Jonisocool
02-19-09, 12:32 am
Double overhand until I cant, then over/under the rest of the heavy sets.

theharjmann
02-19-09, 4:07 am

interesting thread......one thing ive noticed in my gym is that so many people are so opiniated when it comes to deadlift grip...."this grip works this part of your back...this grip will be better for overall back growth etc etc"

the way i see it is each to their own.....anybody who can pull 180kg (405lb) off the ground with whatever grip will have a good big strong back. just let people grab the bar how they want to as long as they dont compromise form!

good thread though....interesting to see everyones grips.

srisatta
02-19-09, 9:18 am
I personally like the romanian style , underhand, overhand form of lift. You dont sacrifice form for egotistical weight. That's my opinion,

BCSteel
02-19-09, 9:34 am
I've been using the double overhand but might try the over/under next.

What is a hook grip?

Thanks.

shizz702
02-19-09, 9:41 am
Inevitably, when the weight starts getting really heavy you will either have to strap up or go with the mixed grip. Personally, I go mixed grip when pulling heavy from the floor, after warm ups, and alternate hands to avoid imbalances. I think it's best to use straps very sparingly so you can develop your grip along the way.

For those of you who don't know what the hook grip is, that is double over, with your thumbs under your fingers, like this: http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/hookgrip/4511451994
I only use the hook grip for olympic lifts.

theharjmann
02-19-09, 9:42 am

What is a hook grip?

Thanks.

Just Google "hook grip"......

http://www.webefit.com/articles_100_199/ART_140_Img/HookGrip.jpg

brandonA
02-19-09, 9:45 am

What is a hook grip?

Thanks.

Hook grip:
http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/#/hookgrip/4511451994

I normally go dbl over till my heavy sets..(around 405) and then switch to over/under. But as I work my form I find that my under hand (left side) causes the bar to swing away from my leg about 4 inches. So I am going to work the dbl over and when that gives out, go to the hook grip. I find that the dbl over puts my upper body in a better position over the bar..

The reason for the mixed grip is that the bar will "roll" in your hand to the weakest point. For most people that is your thumb. You will notice that the bar will roll from your thumb to your finger tips as you reach your max grip strength. The hook grip locks the bar in place, not allowing it to roll.

-B

andrewT
02-19-09, 4:51 pm
I use dbl over. And under over for my heavy sets. I feel imbalanced though when I do that, so I have been trying to do it dbl over even on heavy. Not workin too good though...

shizz702
02-19-09, 5:01 pm
I use dbl over. And under over for my heavy sets. I feel imbalanced though when I do that, so I have been trying to do it dbl over even on heavy. Not workin too good though...

Just alternate hands once in a while and you'll avoid imbalances.

JUGGERNAUT
02-19-09, 5:05 pm
My fingers really are not long enough to hook grip well but have tried it with success on lighter weight. An over/under grip is by far the strongest grip for heavy weight. I don't use straps so I know this is a fact.

As for imbalances, matter where your grip is, it won't affect your muscle symmetry at all. You are still pulling in a straight plane and can only blame your own muscle contraction timing (or other exercises) on an imbalance. Don’t blame the grip.

Dead(Lift)
02-19-09, 8:26 pm
I do Over-under, without thinking about it. I tried hook grip, may have done it wrong, but it hurt so I don't do it.

I put my thumb under my fingers and grip with my other fingers. Is that right?

Big3
02-19-09, 8:41 pm
I do Over-under, without thinking about it. I tried hook grip, may have done it wrong, but it hurt so I don't do it.

I put my thumb under my fingers and grip with my other fingers. Is that right?

Yes, you did it correctly. It should hurt at first, but you should get the hang of it. The reason I go hook is because 1 I do lots of oly lifts, 2 the bar feels more secure, and 3 The last thing I need are torn biceps. I already had a bruised bicep tendon which sucked, so I try my best to go hook most of the time.

Dead(Lift)
02-19-09, 9:05 pm
olympic lifts - like clean and jerk?

That's part of my school's lifts, Bench, Squat and clean and jerk. No deadlift =(. But I have to work on my form with clean and jerk, I just can't get under the bar doing my cleans.

NickSP
02-19-09, 9:38 pm
always over-under, I've got small hands

Big3
02-19-09, 9:46 pm
olympic lifts - like clean and jerk?

That's part of my school's lifts, Bench, Squat and clean and jerk. No deadlift =(. But I have to work on my form with clean and jerk, I just can't get under the bar doing my cleans.

Yes, but I focus more on power cleans, hang cleans, power snatch, etc... modified oly lifts to suit football training.

BCSteel
02-20-09, 9:35 am
Thanks for the hook grip links. Much appreciated.

natty
02-20-09, 11:54 am
always over-under, I've got small hands

Me too, I always use the same over-under grip without alternating. That might make me off-balance somehow in the long run, but it's what works..

Northman
02-20-09, 10:29 pm
This brings up something I've noticed this past year. Due to deadlifting always with an alternating (over/under) grip my left shoulder is larger and stronger than my right and my right lat is larger and stronger than my left. This is noticeable just by looking at me. Now I use a hook grip until my last 2 money sets. I try to switch which hand I have over (and under) each week during stiff-legged deads to try and repair this biomechanical disfunction.

joelast
02-21-09, 10:31 am
This brings up something I've noticed this past year. Due to deadlifting always with an alternating (over/under) grip my left shoulder is larger and stronger than my right and my right lat is larger and stronger than my left. This is noticeable just by looking at me. Now I use a hook grip until my last 2 money sets. I try to switch which hand I have over (and under) each week during stiff-legged deads to try and repair this biomechanical disfunction.

I always wondered about this, I really feel it when doing RDL's for reps with an alternating grip. Looks like I'm switching to hook grip.

Lawnmower Man
02-21-09, 11:09 am
i use over under on my heavy sets

pvcowboy13
02-21-09, 3:17 pm
I do over under on my deads, for straight leg and normal. At the heavy weights I can't keep the bar from rolling out of my hands otherwise. Also I try to stay away from straps as much as possible. If you constantly rely on them to support the bar your grip will turn to shit. Its better to maintain the balance and strengthen in your grip and fore arms. Well thats my opinion take it as you will.

mritter3
02-21-09, 6:55 pm
i use on over and one under and switch it up every so often.

NickSP
02-21-09, 7:45 pm
I do over under on my deads, for straight leg and normal. At the heavy weights I can't keep the bar from rolling out of my hands otherwise. Also I try to stay away from straps as much as possible. If you constantly rely on them to support the bar your grip will turn to shit. Its better to maintain the balance and strengthen in your grip and fore arms. Well thats my opinion take it as you will.

I avoid straps for everything but shrug work, chalk on deads.

shizz702
02-21-09, 8:06 pm
Try alternating your mixed grip hands, I developed some imbalances too and the alternation is seeming to solve it.

I avoid straps for everything but shrug work, chalk on deads.

hell yea chalk only!

Northman
02-21-09, 10:06 pm
Try alternating your mixed grip hands, I developed some imbalances too and the alternation is seeming to solve it.

Already do my friend! At least during stiff-legs, which make up about 75% of my deadlift work.

shizz702
02-21-09, 10:19 pm
Already do my friend! At least during stiff-legs, which make up about 75% of my deadlift work.

Ok cool, missed that part ;)

I always pulled left under/right over for my top sets, and recently noticed the bar seeming to lockout unevenly and immediately knew what it was having read up on potential imbalances from not alternating your grip. What's funny is I'm now pulling right under/left over and feel much stronger and more natural that way. I tried the hook grip and it just doesn't work for heavy sets for me, I only like the hook grip for oly lifts since it helps avoid bending the arms too early.

Big Wides
02-23-09, 10:31 am
My fingers really are not long enough to hook grip well but have tried it with success on lighter weight. An over/under grip is by far the strongest grip for heavy weight. I don't use straps so I know this is a fact.

As for imbalances, matter where your grip is, it won't affect your muscle symmetry at all. You are still pulling in a straight plane and can only blame your own muscle contraction timing (or other exercises) on an imbalance. Don’t blame the grip.

Bingo. the way you have your hands gripped has shit to do with muscle symmetry. one arm isn't going to be bigger than the other, your back will grow evenly. The best way to ensure this is to ditch the straps and grip the holy hell out of the bar. keep the grip constant between the two hands and you'll be fine.

BB
02-23-09, 11:11 am
Do you guys think that straps are a good call for deadlifts??

JUGGERNAUT
02-23-09, 11:15 am
Do you guys think that straps are a good call for deadlifts??

Less you use them, the better. If you plan to compete you can't use them anyway.

Woolsey
02-23-09, 5:27 pm
Hmm over/under grip. When i started liftin thats what all the big guys seemed to be doin lol so naturally i followed n have been doin it that way ever since

bhanma
02-23-09, 10:32 pm
interesting thread......one thing ive noticed in my gym is that so many people are so opiniated when it comes to deadlift grip...."this grip works this part of your back...this grip will be better for overall back growth etc etc"

the way i see it is each to their own.....anybody who can pull 180kg (405lb) off the ground with whatever grip will have a good big strong back. just let people grab the bar how they want to as long as they dont compromise form!

good thread though....interesting to see everyones grips.

thats hilarious....i hear that same stupid shit...no matter what grip u use u dont work a different part of the back....it cant ur arms are only theyre to hold the weight...same results the only difference in back mass from deads is from conventional to sumo...sumo is mostly all back rack pulls is all back....

i use overhand only cause when i do deads i think of myself as a strong man, and i want a stronger grip

FUCK STRAPS

t_mh
07-23-09, 12:41 am
I'm making progress in almost all of my lifts, except the deadlift. My deadlift is atrocious and I can't figure out how to train best. To put it into perspective, I currently bench 300 and probably cannot deadlift anymore than 340. Clearly my strength is lopsided. While a lot of this is because I haven't been deadlifting consistently for as long, I am also having trouble with my grip and training regime in general.

My deadlift days generally start with a warmup, then 225 in the mid-range, then a few reps at a low 300 weight and then a couple 1RMs which inevitably fail. I'm sure there is a better routine. How do you guys train deadlifts?

Also, and equally as important, my grip blows. Is there anything I can do besides continuing to tug on weights until my hands adapt? I usually do a double overhand grip for lower weights and then an alternating one when I get to higher ones.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was never properly taught the deadlift and need advice.

Ironjaw
07-23-09, 12:55 am
work on your forearms.... get a pair of grippers ...

and as far as actual deads go it might be a few things....

1. your stance..... you ight be better at sumo or a wider base
2. Erectors... they might be underdeveloped and in hat case hypers and goodmornings....
3. Form....it might be off and maybe you should make sure you got the lift down and arent puttin oo muh back into the movement and make sure its not rounded .... legs are alo a big part of the lift so it might be a leg thing as well

Kingquads
07-23-09, 1:16 am
I'm making progress in almost all of my lifts, except the deadlift. My deadlift is atrocious and I can't figure out how to train best. To put it into perspective, I currently bench 300 and probably cannot deadlift anymore than 340. Clearly my strength is lopsided. While a lot of this is because I haven't been deadlifting consistently for as long, I am also having trouble with my grip and training regime in general.

My deadlift days generally start with a warmup, then 225 in the mid-range, then a few reps at a low 300 weight and then a couple 1RMs which inevitably fail. I'm sure there is a better routine. How do you guys train deadlifts?

Also, and equally as important, my grip blows. Is there anything I can do besides continuing to tug on weights until my hands adapt? I usually do a double overhand grip for lower weights and then an alternating one when I get to higher ones.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was never properly taught the deadlift and need advice.

easy....

get some baby powder!!! works everytime!!

Cstlfx
07-23-09, 1:32 am
Well, for starters, it may be your form. Best thing to do is take a video and post here or in Sgt. Rock's thread.

Next, dont train your forearms, but train your grip. There is a difference. Forearm work makes your fingers fatter, giving you a harder time with your grip. Plate pinches are excellent if you have the right plates at your gym. Hopefully your gym has plates with one smooth side. You just put some plates together (as many as your grip will allow) with smooth sides out and hold for time. Look for it on Youtube if you need a visual.

Another grip aid is to not use straps. Do heavy cheat movements on on arms, or shoulders, etc, that will make you have to improve your grip.

Dont forget to bring your squat up! Go deep and it will aid in bringing up your deads. Good mornings are huge and there are many variations. Dont forget all chain work (abs, erectors, etc.). Hamstring work is also important, pullthroughs, good mornings, stiff legged dead lifts.

In my opinion, if you're trying to get the biggest 1 RM, you shouldn't be deadlifting every week. Take sometime in between and work on all the accessory lifts.

TigerAce01
07-23-09, 1:42 am
For your grip on deadlifts, I learned a great trick from a strongman I once worked out with on occasion.

Head over to a smith, have the bar about where you would have it if you were about to do shrugs. Load it up with 90 lbs more than you deadlift. Grip the bar with a suicide grip, all fingers on the same side of the bar. Unlock the weight and let it hang for 5-15 seconds. If you get more than 15 seconds, load up more.

This will strengthen not only your grip, but it will teach your body to adapt to a load heavier than you are used to, so when you go for a PR, you already know what that heavy weight feels like. Your overall deadlift will start to go up quite a bit.

Also, work your hamstrings with more dedication. I had very weak hamstrings, and it affected my deadlift. I was told to take a couple of weeks off, and on the days I was supposed to deadlift, do dedicated glute and ham work, along with back extensions, and the static hold mentioned above. Go in these 3 week cycles, and you definitely should see an increase.

As for your form, watch videos, get an experienced spotter to watch you, and as Cstlfx said, film a vid and post it for a critique.

-Ace

K Stro24
07-23-09, 3:11 am

I saw my dead jump up alot over about 4 months by practicing my form on it for the first two months or so, then I got it down, watched youtube videos, looked around posts and forums. But then I saw it jump up alot when I didn't do them for about a month and just did weighted hypers, heavy squats, some cleans, and some rack deads.

One thing I try to do when I deadlift, is in the beginning of a heavy rep, don't grab it and just try to explode up but rather drive your heels into the fuckin floor and pull up hard. I visualize it before I do it too, visualizing the drive down with the legs and pulling. Dave Tate says something like it when hes explaining how to increase your bench, he said something like "Don't push the weight away from you, but push yourself into the bench." And I apply it to the DL too. As far as grip, chalk it up if you aren't, but grip strength will come over time with the excerises the others have mentioned

MVP
07-23-09, 3:57 am
Invest in some chalk.

On the other hand, some heavy grippers will increase your grip strength unbelievably.

Or you could always reduce the weight and switch to thick bar work for a cycle.

hjayss
07-23-09, 4:57 am
For your grip on deadlifts, I learned a great trick from a strongman I once worked out with on occasion.

Head over to a smith, have the bar about where you would have it if you were about to do shrugs. Load it up with 90 lbs more than you deadlift. Grip the bar with a suicide grip, all fingers on the same side of the bar. Unlock the weight and let it hang for 5-15 seconds. If you get more than 15 seconds, load up more.

This will strengthen not only your grip, but it will teach your body to adapt to a load heavier than you are used to, so when you go for a PR, you already know what that heavy weight feels like. Your overall deadlift will start to go up quite a bit.

Also, work your hamstrings with more dedication. I had very weak hamstrings, and it affected my deadlift. I was told to take a couple of weeks off, and on the days I was supposed to deadlift, do dedicated glute and ham work, along with back extensions, and the static hold mentioned above. Go in these 3 week cycles, and you definitely should see an increase.

As for your form, watch videos, get an experienced spotter to watch you, and as Cstlfx said, film a vid and post it for a critique.

-Ace

good one..My shrugs most def helped my deads..also doing rack pulls really helped with my issues as well...get your but down swing those hips forward....watch the strongman comps on espn those guys really use great form in most cases if you dont you will pay later...YOU ONLY GET ONE BACK ONCE YOU MESS IT UP YOUR DONE...

McFly
07-23-09, 7:59 am
Now many may disagree with me but hell use straps if you grip is failing...to be very honest I never trained "grip" and up until about 3 weeks before my first meet always used straps, realizing I couldn't use straps in the meet I chalked my hands up good and managed to hold onto 625 for all white lights, grip not an issue.

I don't train deadlift every week, maybe every other or every third. I did find HEAVY partials/strongest ranges really helped my deadlift and let my body get use to some big weight. have your form checked out and try not to be hung up mentally on what you are stuck at. Pulling bigger numbers can totally be a head game, I know it is for me. keep you head clear, sit back and PULL!!

Young&Hungry
07-23-09, 8:11 am
Well, for starters, it may be your form. Best thing to do is take a video and post here or in Sgt. Rock's thread.

Next, dont train your forearms, but train your grip. There is a difference. Forearm work makes your fingers fatter, giving you a harder time with your grip. Plate pinches are excellent if you have the right plates at your gym. Hopefully your gym has plates with one smooth side. You just put some plates together (as many as your grip will allow) with smooth sides out and hold for time. Look for it on Youtube if you need a visual.

Another grip aid is to not use straps. Do heavy cheat movements on on arms, or shoulders, etc, that will make you have to improve your grip.

Dont forget to bring your squat up! Go deep and it will aid in bringing up your deads. Good mornings are huge and there are many variations. Dont forget all chain work (abs, erectors, etc.). Hamstring work is also important, pullthroughs, good mornings, stiff legged dead lifts.

In my opinion, if you're trying to get the biggest 1 RM, you shouldn't be deadlifting every week. Take sometime in between and work on all the accessory lifts.

What he said.

naturalguy
07-23-09, 8:35 am
Now many may disagree with me but hell use straps if you grip is failing...to be very honest I never trained "grip" and up until about 3 weeks before my first meet always used straps, realizing I couldn't use straps in the meet I chalked my hands up good and managed to hold onto 625 for all white lights, grip not an issue.

I actually find straps to be worse for me with the deadlift (they help on other back exercises) but I feel the bar roll out of the straps. My grip is stronger on deads barehanded with some chalk.

CuttDeez
07-23-09, 8:40 am
Train Grip not forearm strength!!!

McFly
07-23-09, 9:20 am
I actually find straps to be worse for me with the deadlift (they help on other back exercises) but I feel the bar roll out of the straps. My grip is stronger on deads barehanded with some chalk.

Goes to show everyone is different!!! On my rep sets I like straps so I don't have to worry about holding on but once I get heavy doing singles and doubles I chalk up real good and go strapless

t_mh
07-23-09, 10:50 am
Thanks everyone. My legs are definitely getting stronger. I'll keep working on them and try to incorporate some grip exercises. I may end up posting a video too, but I think I have decent form.

Dedicated
07-23-09, 10:51 am
The way I've always seen it, when I do deads I'm focusing on working my back primarily. If my grip keeps me from working my back as efficiently as possible, then I use straps.

Young&Hungry
07-25-09, 7:58 pm
The way I've always seen it, when I do deads I'm focusing on working my back primarily. If my grip keeps me from working my back as efficiently as possible, then I use straps.

I don't understand this logic. How have I never had a problem with holding onto the bar for deads? I don't have a world class grip by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I have used straps twice in my life and have noticed no difference in the weight I can pull with them and without them. The more you use something as a crutch to hide a weakness, the weaker it will get and the less well rounded you become. Train your weaknesses first and not your strengths.

TigerAce01
07-25-09, 8:13 pm
If you want to use straps...use straps. If you don't want to use straps, don't use straps.

I don't care how the next man trains. I'm the only person that trains my body.

-Ace

Kingquads
07-25-09, 10:24 pm
Train Grip not forearm strength!!!

lol....

Apollo Knight
08-28-09, 11:54 pm
So Im doing heavy deads today and I notice, once I hit 405 and above, my grip in my left hand pretty much starts to fail. I hate it. I can pull 405 once or twice then my grip fails and Im not one of those guys who can stop mid-set and re-adjust and start pulling again, I have to have a nice rythem about things. I know I could do more, I mean 405 is heavy, but I know I could do more if my damn hand could hold the bar.

I heard plate pulls work well for increasing grip. Should I lighten the weight for a few sessions? its funny because I can pull 385 for 8-10, but once I hit 405...well you know, I use standard gloves, no straps or chalk tho. Should I start using straps? Never tried chalk either, maybe its time.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

rocky36
08-29-09, 12:01 am
Chalk is great, i always use it on deads or even rows and shrugs. personally i get better results with chalk than i do with straps but there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on that. try them both see what works for you. They are both cheap to get and are well worth the money imo.

rocky36
08-29-09, 12:01 am
also, do you use a over-under grip or double over ?

BryanSmash!
08-29-09, 12:23 am
^ What he said. Also ditch the gloves, they increase the diameter of the bar, making it harder to grip.

K Stro24
08-29-09, 1:29 am
use an over-under grip, invest in some chalk and/or straps, will barely cost you a thing and greatly increase ur grip

eclipsegsx102
08-29-09, 5:06 pm
straps are the way to go. If your worried about your forearms not growing then do forearm exercises.

D-Bomb
08-29-09, 6:49 pm
used to be just about the same thing with me man, But you need to keep pulling and keep working the reps and tonnage until the strength comes. Also i usually pull the lighter weights with gloves but with 405-440lbs i use just my hands. which i know gives me so much more grip. an mixed grip is also helpful. you may need to work on the surrounding muscles as well and grip movements.

Reacher34
08-29-09, 7:33 pm
Typically I'd recommend using bare hands (no gloves) when you're working with a weight for reps. If you're aiming for 8 or more reps and CAN'T use bare hands, then use straps.

If you are aiming for 6 or less reps, I'd say use a over/under grip. When you're hitting that HEAVY single or double, use over/under and chalk. It makes a huge difference.

If you're going for heavy singles, I wouldn't use straps unless you can wrap em real fast. The general rule that I've been told by elite powerlifters is that once you step in front of that bar, you have 4 seconds to squat down, grab it, and pull that bitch. Any longer and you increase your chances of overthinking the lift, and therefore possibly risking injury.

D-Kev
12-07-09, 5:36 pm
My current Deadlift best is 205 for about 2-3 reps...I hit that a few days ago and I'm gonna be deadlifting later tonite...

Currently I Use a double overhand grip, no straps. Though I do prefer to lift in gloves and wrist wraps. What grip do you prefer and would it be beneficial to switch to a snatch grip etc...If so, at what weight?

Thanks

Cstlfx
12-07-09, 6:38 pm
The strongest grip to use while deadlifting is one overhand and one underhand grip (staggered).

A snatch grip is double overhand as close to the collars as your hands allow.

I use double overhand until I cant grip it well enough, then I switch to a staggered grip.

J A Y
12-07-09, 6:44 pm
i would lose the gloves and the straps, just go with bare hands, more of a pyschological thing, i always thought my grip was weak then i decided to ditch everything and just work on it, it soon caught up

i have heard people go with the double overhand up untill their final heaviest set then switch to one over, one under...

just experiment with it and you could also try training your grip, there are a host of exercises you can do! look them up, if i had a link i would post one! of my head i can think of static dumbell holds, and plate pinches

TigerAce01
12-07-09, 7:54 pm
The strongest grip I've had with any type of pull is the hook grip, but it's also pretty painful. Second comes the mixed grip which is one overhand, one underhand, but it can lead to physiological imbalances if you use it too often. A snatch grip would not help you unless you are Oly lifting, it doesn't really translate into anything besides that, and your weights would have to be significantly reduced.

-Ace

brickhead
12-07-09, 8:13 pm
My strongest grip is one underhand and one overhand. I find that I could do more reps with this grip and for some reason I dont like using gloves when going heavy on deads.

t_mh
12-07-09, 8:33 pm
I use double overhand until I cant grip it well enough, then I switch to a staggered grip.

Definitely.

And there is no reason to use gloves unless your hand is injured.

almosteasy
12-07-09, 8:40 pm
The strongest grip I've had with any type of pull is the hook grip, but it's also pretty painful. Second comes the mixed grip which is one overhand, one underhand, but it can lead to physiological imbalances if you use it too often. A snatch grip would not help you unless you are Oly lifting, it doesn't really translate into anything besides that, and your weights would have to be significantly reduced.

-Ace

Ace is the hook grip when you dont wrap your thumbs around and just use the fingers for gripping?

rev8ball
12-07-09, 8:45 pm
The strongest grip I've had with any type of pull is the hook grip, but it's also pretty painful. Second comes the mixed grip which is one overhand, one underhand, but it can lead to physiological imbalances if you use it too often.
-Ace

Dittos on this....

Ace is the hook grip when you dont wrap your thumbs around and just use the fingers for gripping?

A hook grip is what is used for the snatch movement. First, wrap your thumbs around the bar, and then, wrap your fingers around the bar/your thumbs. It can be quite painful at first, but if you continue to do it, you will get used to it, and your numbers will go up.

TigerAce01
12-07-09, 8:51 pm

Dittos on this....

A hook grip is what is used for the snatch movement. First, wrap your thumbs around the bar, and then, wrap your fingers around the bar/your thumbs. It can be quite painful at first, but if you continue to do it, you will get used to it, and your numbers will go up.

As Rev stated, the thumb goes on the bar, then you wrap your fingers around the bar and thumb. I use it for all BB pulls, including the snatch, clean, the pulls associated with those movements, and even deadlifts. My thumbs are slowly building up a tolerance to the pain, and getting a thick layer of hardened skin over them. The pros associated with the hook grip include more relaxed arms (which means you are pulling with the correct muscles, instead of with your forearms, biceps, and rear delts), an almost unbreakable grip, no imbalances over time, and a more natural movement overall.

-Ace

J Wong
12-07-09, 10:56 pm
I hate the hook grip, but it was great for the clean and jerk when I trained it. I use a staggered grip for my deadlifts.

Cstlfx
12-07-09, 11:12 pm
Call me a baby, but I got up to 225 with the hook grip and said fuck that pain.

Suck it up and get through the pain, it'll be the toughest grip. And major props for being able to use it. If you're like me and want to cry when the hook grip gives me a boo boo, staggered grip it is.

t_mh
12-07-09, 11:54 pm
I'd never even heard of the hook grip before. Maybe I'll give it a go. It would probably put a lot of stress on my thumb, which I broke last year, though.

omfgapolarbear
12-08-09, 12:14 am
I deadlift sumo style (it feels better on my back), and I use one over one under, usually alternating between sets.

J Wong
12-08-09, 6:33 pm
Call me a baby, but I got up to 225 with the hook grip and said fuck that pain.

Suck it up and get through the pain, it'll be the toughest grip. And major props for being able to use it. If you're like me and want to cry when the hook grip gives me a boo boo, staggered grip it is.

Layne Norton deadlifted 690 with a hook grip at an APA meet not too long ago haha, I remember him saying it doesn't hurt too bad on one rep, but after a rep the pain starts to get bad

rev8ball
12-08-09, 7:19 pm
The hook grip is a fav of our very own Sgt Rock.

The biggest pull I have ever witnessed with a hook grip was Brad Gillingham's 881 at the 2009 Arnold.

shizz702
12-08-09, 7:59 pm
Do you guys think there is a big risk for a bicep tear pulling mixed?

I've seen straps advocated over the mixed grip on some boards for those that aren't competing, stating that the risk for injury just isn't worth it.

I'm undecided on that. On one hand I don't plan to compete but like to work and develop my grip, but on other I don't want to risk and injury. I've tried the hook grip and didn't like it. So I'm thinking about just strapping up, Once I got above 315 my grip gives out.

TigerAce01
12-08-09, 8:03 pm
The hook grip is a fav of our very own Sgt Rock.

The biggest pull I have ever witnessed with a hook grip was Brad Gillingham's 881 at the 2009 Arnold.

I believe Sgt Rock started using it because of his torn bicep, correct? That's definitely one big advantage to using the hook, your body just naturally uses the right muscle groups to pull. I like to put tape on my thumbs to prevent the rubbing that occurs, and that cuts down on some of the pain. My personal best with a hook grip deadlift is 315x5.

-Ace

mritter3
12-08-09, 8:27 pm
for proper balance and good form i go overhand for both hands...hits the forearms as well...just my 2 cents.

D-Kev
12-09-09, 3:30 am
Thanks for the great replies, I've picked up some good info from you all...I like the double overhand, it just feels most comfortable and balcanced.

I've recently been doing 195 for 6 sets of 3. (after working up to it)
If I want more size, should I lower the weight and go for something like 5x5?
I do like to keep the reps low with the deadlift but know that size rep ranges are usually a bit higher?

Thanks

Razor
12-09-09, 1:55 pm
The strongest grip to use while deadlifting is one overhand and one underhand grip (staggered).

x2 on this one. It's definitely going to be your strongest and IMO most stable when piling on the weight.

ghost
12-09-09, 2:02 pm
Definitely.

And there is no reason to use gloves unless your hand is injured.

gloves.....................

fuck that,. even when injured, you dont need that shit. im missing fingers and dont use those.

Grip it... and Rip it. did 315 for 10 last night, one hand over, one hand under.

Razor
12-09-09, 2:03 pm
gloves.....................

fuck that,. even when injured, you dont need that shit. im missing fingers and dont use those.

Grip it... and Rip it. did 315 for 10 last night, one hand over, one hand under.

HAHAHAAHA when i replied i had a feeling that you were going to chime in. I'm rolling over here. 315 for 10 bro nice!

ghost
12-09-09, 2:06 pm
HAHAHAAHA when i replied i had a feeling that you were going to chime in. I'm rolling over here. 315 for 10 bro nice!

shit, you saw me hit that 225 for 20+ reps.. i dont fuck around when it comes to deads... i have the highest dead for a man with 8.5 fingers. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Razor
12-09-09, 2:07 pm
shit, you saw me hit that 225 for 20+ reps.. i dont fuck around when it comes to deads... i have the highest dead for a man with 8.5 fingers. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

hahahaha you are correct sir! It was very motivating i must say!

daninarmy
12-09-09, 6:17 pm
I get more out of one under and one over grip.

smith06
12-13-09, 11:27 am
I've heard wonders about the hook grip..but I've never been able to use it.

Over/Under is the way to go for me. Right hand over/ Left hand under. (i'm right handed)