PDA

View Full Version : The Decline of the Decline Bench Press?

Matoltsy85
12-19-07, 12:56 pm
Wondering why I never feel the soreness in the bottem part of my pecks the day after I do Decline bench press???

If I do Incline I feel it in the upper, and Flat, I feel it in the middle the following days. But never do I feel it in the lower part of my peck when i do Decline...

Am I doing something wrong???

Cstlfx
12-19-07, 1:28 pm
Try it with dumbbells next time. For decline I get a much better range of motion with DB's, leading to me working more, therefore more soreness. Give it a try and see what you think.

Terranova1340
12-19-07, 2:21 pm
Ya know there was an article on here a few months back that talked about the chest only having two portions and not really being able to specifically train just one portion at a time, the same as biceps, your bi has two heads but supposedly you can't train just one head you can only place a little more emphasis on it... Now I belive that with biceps I don't know how I feel about that with chest though personally my chest gets sore no matter how I train it as long as its hard and heavy.... using dumb bells is a great choice though you get a better range of motion plus you work stabalizer muscles that you don't normally work with a bar.

twisted_steel
12-19-07, 2:24 pm
there are many studies done that state that decline bench press and dumbel press cause the greatest fibre recruitment in ur pec. i notice this, when i do decline, my whole chest is sore the next day and the day after. i think if ur doing it properly, you should feel it al over.

Matoltsy85
12-19-07, 11:19 pm
Thanks guys

My upper chest and mid chest are sore...Just not the lower part...And I dont have heavy enough dumbells right now to do decline dumbells...unless i do a high rep set...I'll check it out tho..

Macrobolic
12-19-07, 11:51 pm
Ya know there was an article on here a few months back that talked about the chest only having two portions and not really being able to specifically train just one portion at a time, the same as biceps, your bi has two heads but supposedly you can't train just one head you can only place a little more emphasis on it... Now I belive that with biceps I don't know how I feel about that with chest though personally my chest gets sore no matter how I train it as long as its hard and heavy.... using dumb bells is a great choice though you get a better range of motion plus you work stabalizer muscles that you don't normally work with a bar.

Exactly. You can work either upper or lower slightly more doing either incline, decline or flat benches, but in the end the whole pectorial muscle gets worked. And I just thought I'd reiterate it here:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS INNER OR OUTER CHEST!

there are many studies done that state that decline bench press and dumbel press cause the greatest fibre recruitment in ur pec. i notice this, when i do decline, my whole chest is sore the next day and the day after. i think if ur doing it properly, you should feel it al over.

EMG studies have show more recruitment in decline bench presses than regular flat barbell press. I say do them all (unless you've got rotator cuff issues, in which case, you gotta train with what won't hurt ya)

hjayss
12-20-07, 1:40 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6144&highlight=decline+bench+press

Nightshift
12-20-07, 1:42 am
Up the bench a couple notches to create even more of a decline. Try it and see if it helps!

Mr.Hardcore98
12-21-07, 7:50 am
when declining you use the untire pec instead of one part and i feel more of a pump use dumbbells opposed to a barbell

pain4life
03-11-08, 11:05 pm
Do you know what has happened to the decline bench press? It seems to me that most workout routines don't involve the Decline Bench Press anymore. I still use it on my Chest days.

Do you use the Decline Bench Press? If not, why don't you include the Decline Bench Press in your Chest routine?

DaFr3aK
03-11-08, 11:08 pm
cuz nobody really ever lags a lower chest

LHS Monster
03-11-08, 11:10 pm
i rarely do it because i feel that the dips i do help to hit the lower portion of my chest plenty

calcaneous
03-11-08, 11:11 pm
i ether do it in low reps, (1-6) or i use it for burns out at the end of the work out (15-20). The decline bench in my gym sucks because you have to practically bb-pullovers to get the bar in the correct spot.

pmug0000
03-11-08, 11:14 pm
i rarely do it because i feel that the dips i do help to hit the lower portion of my chest plenty

Yeah I think Dips beat the shit out of Decline Presses. You should already be doing flat and incline presses, so I think it is a good idea to switch up the movement and do some dips.
Plus, laying down on that decline bench feels too fucking awkward for me.

scals
03-11-08, 11:16 pm
Yeah I think Dips beat the shit out of Decline Presses. You should already be doing flat and incline presses, so I think it is a good idea to switch up the movement and do some dips.

Exactly.

LHS Monster
03-11-08, 11:17 pm

yea plus last year i rolled up off it and it contorted my spine into a funny angle as i was dodging the bar with my head and sitting up at teh same time and it hurt my back something serious so im afraid of it lol thats why i dont do it pure fear.... and in the words of big ant "if it causes pain, dont do it" serious bodily pain not i just squatted 400 for reps and i cant walk and now im on teh ground lying in my own vomit pain

Torque757
03-11-08, 11:22 pm

Not to mention all the extra blood rushing in your head from lying on the decline

The decline is completely unecessary, and trying to find a place in a routine for it is the exact opposite of keepin it simple.

Camdog
03-11-08, 11:40 pm
Do you know what has happened to the decline bench press? It seems to me that most workout routines don't involve the Decline Bench Press anymore. I still use it on my Chest days.

Do you use the Decline Bench Press? If not, why don't you include the Decline Bench Press in your Chest routine?

Decline is out brother, its all about them weighted dips :)

Brick By Brick
03-11-08, 11:47 pm
It exists in Mountain Home. I see someone doing decline bench presses almost every time I go to the gym. I do dips instead, just like the rest of the group.

Hola Bola
03-11-08, 11:49 pm
Add me to the group that does weighted dips instead.

Chin
03-12-08, 12:29 am
I don't do decline bench just because of the awkward positioning of the bar and the stress it puts on my collarbone... I excel much better at decline hammer presses or Weighted dips because of the positioning of my hands...

Chin

simpleguy
03-12-08, 12:38 am
well, they do have some benefits, but imo they hit your tris mostly - which is good for anyone interested in strength, increasing their bench and so on

Themostocles
03-12-08, 2:40 am
I don't think its a foundational exercise, but I do occasionaly alternate with my dips. -T.

k1usa
03-12-08, 3:25 am
I use the hammer streangth plate loaded for decline as well as do dips....I always mix it up...never count out a move to murder the muscle cells.....now...barbell decline was one of my favorites...till I blew my shoulder out....way out....

Toni69
03-12-08, 3:33 am
I use the decline bench often but I prefer using db's to the barbell for bench and I use the decline bench for db tricep extensions...killer shit right there. Watch the elbows! Your arms should be still and never lock out your joints!

Carpe Diem P.T
03-12-08, 3:46 am
yea plus last year i rolled up off it and it contorted my spine into a funny angle as i was dodging the bar with my head and sitting up at teh same time and it hurt my back something serious so im afraid of it lol thats why i dont do it pure fear.... and in the words of big ant "if it causes pain, dont do it" serious bodily pain not i just squatted 400 for reps and i cant walk and now im on teh ground lying in my own vomit pain

lol sounds like some sort of gym nightmare!

little nick
03-12-08, 8:05 am
But when my old gym, who had a decline bench closed down, my new gym doesn't. I wasn't impressed but then just opted for the extreme and started doing more incline presses, and I 've lost NOTHING on my lower chest and gained on my upper chest (obviously) so I rate if you don't have a poor lower chest don't be too worried about the decline, I think incorporating other movements in ends up being more beneficial.

Enforcer
03-12-08, 8:08 am
I don't use it because I feel as though I get nothing out of it. I would much rather do dips to carve out my lower chest.

jer
03-12-08, 9:33 am
Hurts my shoulders. Just too uncomfortable to me.

Wasteland
03-12-08, 10:20 am
Weighted dips here.

MightyMouse666
03-12-08, 10:48 am
I'm gonna agree AND disagree with most of you at the same time.

Decline barbell, I don't like it, I feel it in my tris and shoulders much more than chest, the range of motion also feels extremely limited.

For these reasons, I do weighted dips, one of my favorites. My body seems to be getting a little used to the weighted dips.

So I'll jump back to decline DUMBELLS. Wow, they really ripped that shit up, do slow negatives, get a full stretch. I think decline dumbells are great, unlike barbell, I actually feel it in my CHEST!

Costo
03-12-08, 12:37 pm
Decline just doesnt feel comfortable to me so I just stick to flat.

Brutus_515
03-12-08, 12:41 pm
I used to pound the hell out of it everyone and a while i will do some big numbers on it...I think there are plenty of other (more affective) movements to assist in the chest...because you need to get some meat up there before you really need to "bring out" your lower chest...OH and causes havoc on the shoulders and pounds the Tri's In my own opinion

the delcine hammer strength is pretty decent to thow in if available

BrennANIMAL
03-12-08, 2:52 pm
Hadn't done the decline in a long time, tried it a few weeks ago just to change things up. My shoulder hurt so bad afterwards, I remembered why I stopped using it. Most likely never do them again.

Riesjs
03-12-08, 3:13 pm
Decline skulls, thats about it

jeff00z28
03-12-08, 3:46 pm
ive never done decline presses in my life. thats been my response to a lot of these threads lately lol

Toni69
03-12-08, 4:42 pm
Obviously if it hurts ya, dont do it..find another way to target that particular muscle. For me, I thankfully do not have any joint issues or upper body injuries. My only occasional issue is a couple of bulging disks that come out of the woodworks whenever I attempt heavy enough barbell squats.

So for me, I hit my muscles at every possible angle I can...decline db presses work well for me and I like the range of motion way better than that of decline barbell presses. I wont do these every chest day...I do like dips for chest as well. I just think variety is important in your wo's, targeting muscle fibers at different angles. You shouldnt limit yourself to doing the same basic movements in every wo you do. By hitting the muscles from different angles using different exercises you will achieve maximum growth of all muscle fibers.

joe-yamma
03-12-08, 7:46 pm
for those of you looking to target your "lower chest" google "Gironda dips"
if you do these right, you'll feel them big-time in the lower part of your chest
(and not your shoulders and tri's like regular dips)

THERISING
03-12-08, 7:49 pm
blood rushing to head felt like i was gonna pass out

dips suit me

pain4life
03-13-08, 1:50 am
It sounds like a lot of you prefer doing dips on chest days. I would have to agree that dips are a great exercise. I would also like to add that the decline can be an awkward position if not done on a regular basis. Like some of you Animals, I would have to say I prefer to do decline bench press with dumbbells over using a barbell.

RoJoHen
03-13-08, 2:47 am
I prefer dips also.

If I do declines, I use dumbbells. I've tried using the barbell, and I feel like I'm going to drop it on my throat. Hard to concentrate on chest if you're too busy trying not to crush your windpipe.

Cellerator65
03-13-08, 11:04 am
its too awkward and puts alot of stress on my shoulders... pain that can be avoided. Weighted dips works wonders for me

MetalAsh12
03-13-08, 11:08 am
I do decline press because I feel it, I also think it simulates the motion of a powerlifting bench press very well.

brandonA
03-13-08, 11:09 am
Nothing happened to it in my gym, we have a decline bench and it gets used often. Powerlifters use it a lot, if you bench in the MM style, it is a staple of your training. Burns states that the bigger of an arch you have the more effective the decline will be to your bench press...Keeping in mind that powerlifters dont train chest, the benifets of it are great for many other muscle groups....

-B

MetalAsh12
03-13-08, 11:15 am
Nothing happened to it in my gym, we have a decline bench and it gets used often. Powerlifters use it a lot, if you bench in the MM style, it is a staple of your training. Burns states that the bigger of an arch you have the more effective the decline will be to your bench press...Keeping in mind that powerlifters dont train chest, the benifets of it are great for many other muscle groups....

-B

B hit it on the head

joe-yamma
03-14-08, 1:22 am
for those of you looking to target your "lower chest" google "Gironda dips"
if you do these right, you'll feel them big-time in the lower part of your chest
(and not your shoulders and tri's like regular dips)
here is a page that explains how to do them (with drawings):
http://www.ironguru.com/Home/tabid/637/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/29/Wide-Grip-Gironda-Pec-Dips.aspx
i don't use the "palms out" grip because it's too hard on my shoulders,
but even with a normal "palms in" grip, you'll feel these in your "lower chest" like crazy.
i usually do 3 sets of 10 (or fail) right after my pressing exercise.

mustgetbig
03-14-08, 11:39 am
i love decline press and use it every chest day

theharjmann
03-14-08, 12:13 pm
i was reading one of the recent Muscle and fitness mags. In there they had an interview panel who they were asking questions about chest training. The panel consisted of: Gunter Shlierkamp, Ronnie Coleman, Franco Columbu, Arnold, Phil Heath, Lou Ferrigno, Mark Dugdale. Every single one said that none of them use decline presses. They dip. If you want to build mass on the whole chest to incline and flat presses and flyes. Then cut to get definition.

WE DO NOT NEED DECLINE!!

ironshaolin
03-14-08, 12:58 pm
I do dips as a triceps excersise. I've never done them as a chest excersise, I know it uses chest, just harder for me to focus on chest it just seems more an arm move to me. I think that flat bench is one of the worst excersises ever, it will destroy your shoulders. Decline is a much safer option IMO. Also, it has a short range of motion so you can really jack the weight up.

Mr.Totality
03-14-08, 1:52 pm
I havent done it too much recently, I was always concerned about getting too overdeveloped in that region

Freak
03-14-08, 2:53 pm
This thread ought to be renamed "The Rise and Fall of the Decline Bench". Popularity waxes and wanes. If you like something, if something's done right by you, keep it.

Tano
03-14-08, 6:59 pm
I like declines and dips. I alternate them to have something fresh to do.

BrotherInArms
03-14-08, 7:53 pm
Decline is still a great way of getting your chest pumped to a point where it just -when pumped- hangs over your abs.
It's still in favor with me because it's a free-weight movement.. which you can't go wrong with. I'm not a big fan of cables.

Maharg
03-14-08, 8:35 pm
I tried decline benchs for awhile, my old gym as well had a hammer strength decline Bench, not a machine, bench. Hopped in and gave it a run, and ended up with shoulders bout popped out of place. So now i just load up weight on the dip belt and pound em out.

Gio71
03-29-09, 3:02 pm
Yoo Bro's, wanted to ask why declines aint so much in routines or should i say nowhere?

I thought decline benchpress is good for under chest, wouldnt it be better to put about 4 x 6-8 reps of decline benchpress on the chest day?

flat bench 4x 6-8
incline with dumbells 4x 6-8
and decline 4x 6-8

and for the end some machine exercise like butterfly oder cable flys?

Tell me what you think about that.. or maybe i should try and look if its good

pmug0000
03-29-09, 3:11 pm
For a long time I never did decline bench press, then a couple months ago I started it up again and now its a staple in my routine. I don't do it every week but I think it's good to add into the mix consistently.

The routine you've got posted looks like a good assortment of exercises, I always do something similar but never exactly the same two weeks in a row. I also like to switch up my rep schemes more than the 6-8 range every set, but to each his own.

Gio71
03-29-09, 3:32 pm
For a long time I never did decline bench press, then a couple months ago I started it up again and now its a staple in my routine. I don't do it every week but I think it's good to add into the mix consistently.

The routine you've got posted looks like a good assortment of exercises, I always do something similar but never exactly the same two weeks in a row. I also like to switch up my rep schemes more than the 6-8 range every set, but to each his own.

ok good to know

eric downey
03-29-09, 3:32 pm
Decline Is A Waste Of Time. How Ever If You To Do Them Use Db So You Can Go Full Range. The Bar Only Allow You To Do A Partial Lift. Your Best Bet Is A Vertical Chest Machine With Verticle Handles. Using The Up And Down Handles Put The Seat All The Way Up And Stretch Back And Squeez As You Push. Again Decline Is A Waste. Ive Never Done Them

mritter3
03-29-09, 4:41 pm
i don't think it is a bad exercise but i don't do it every chest session, i throw it in once every 2 months to keep things interesting, always using a db.

BeastCook
03-29-09, 4:44 pm
Yoo Bro's, wanted to ask why declines aint so much in routines or should i say nowhere?

I thought decline benchpress is good for under chest, wouldnt it be better to put about 4 x 6-8 reps of decline benchpress on the chest day?

flat bench 4x 6-8
incline with dumbells 4x 6-8
and decline 4x 6-8

and for the end some machine exercise like butterfly oder cable flys?

Tell me what you think about that.. or maybe i should try and look if its good

remember you there is no magic routine, decline is pretty much a flat bench press with your back arched if you think about it, dont worry about your routine, worry about your diet

Gio71
03-29-09, 5:56 pm
remember you there is no magic routine, decline is pretty much a flat bench press with your back arched if you think about it, dont worry about your routine, worry about your diet

My Diet is alright, only wanted to know if decl.benchpress is ok , because most of the people tell its a waist

TigerAce01
03-29-09, 6:12 pm

Don't worry about your routine?? Whoever told you that was not well informed.

My Diet is alright, only wanted to know if decl.benchpress is ok , because most of the people tell its a waist

Listen to eric downey on this one. PM him for an awesome routine. He gave me one, and it's awesome.

-Ace

pmug0000
03-29-09, 8:34 pm
Decline Is A Waste Of Time. How Ever If You To Do Them Use Db So You Can Go Full Range. The Bar Only Allow You To Do A Partial Lift. Your Best Bet Is A Vertical Chest Machine With Verticle Handles. Using The Up And Down Handles Put The Seat All The Way Up And Stretch Back And Squeez As You Push. Again Decline Is A Waste. Ive Never Done Them

How can you say decline bench press is a waste of time? I know you've got a strong bench press, much stronger than mine, but your reasoning doesn't make sense. You do work with boards which cuts off your range of motion, so why is that not a waste of time but decline bench is?
And especially from a bodybuilding perspective, anytime you can switch things up to trick your body and you activate the muscle fibers it's a good thing. And there are plenty of big, strong guys out there who do decline bench.
Maybe its not the best choice if you're preparing for a powerlifting comp, but for someone just trying to get bigger and stronger I think it's not fair to brush it off as a total waste of time.

cstmgp
03-30-09, 7:12 am
I was having trouble getting a good pump in my chest untill I added decline bench. I now hit a couple sets before my flat bench to pre exhaust my chest. I'm still somewhat a beginner, but I feel it has given me some good gains in my bench.

On a side note, I could have sworn it was Eric who suggested it to me,lol. I am obviously mistaken, maybe it was Nick. Now that I think about it, it was definitely Nick.
Shaun

Gio71
03-30-09, 7:27 am
Don't worry about your routine?? Whoever told you that was not well informed.

Listen to eric downey on this one. PM him for an awesome routine. He gave me one, and it's awesome.

-Ace

I'll do that thanks

eric downey
03-30-09, 7:30 am
How can you say decline bench press is a waste of time? I know you've got a strong bench press, much stronger than mine, but your reasoning doesn't make sense. You do work with boards which cuts off your range of motion, so why is that not a waste of time but decline bench is?
And especially from a bodybuilding perspective, anytime you can switch things up to trick your body and you activate the muscle fibers it's a good thing. And there are plenty of big, strong guys out there who do decline bench.
Maybe its not the best choice if you're preparing for a powerlifting comp, but for someone just trying to get bigger and stronger I think it's not fair to brush it off as a total waste of time.

i did bodybuilding for 8 yrs prior to getting in to power-lifting as a bet. i started at 145lbs the guy who used to train me was a national level bodybuilder. he wouldn't even have a decline bench in the gym. ive also trained over 50 guys and girls for shows on both pl and BB and NEVER use a decline bench of any-kind. Also the brds do more than cut range of motion, thats not what there for. i never said that people didnt do it. shit gunny green is one of the best single ply lifters a out there and loves decline. ive never and wont ever see the point in it. that is my opinion

eric downey
03-30-09, 7:31 am
I was having trouble getting a good pump in my chest untill I added decline bench. I now hit a couple sets before my flat bench to pre exhaust my chest. I'm still somewhat a beginner, but I feel it has given me some good gains in my bench.

On a side note, I could have sworn it was Eric who suggested it to me,lol. I am obviously mistaken, maybe it was Nick. Now that I think about it, it was definitely Nick.
Shaun

i may have but if i did it was decline DB's for the complete range of motion. Never would i say use the bench.

cstmgp
03-30-09, 4:14 pm
i may have but if i did it was decline DB's for the complete range of motion. Never would i say use the bench.

Yeah, I found the post. You simply said it can be useful as a good pump/stretch move. That's all I use it for, I'll hit it light with some DB's before my flat bench. For some reason I can concentrate on the pecs better with the decline DB.

Shaun

pmug0000
03-30-09, 10:25 pm

I tried decline DB press for the first time tonight, and it definitely has a much different feel than using a barbell. I thought it was hard to balance the DB's, but once I get used to it I think it will be a solid addition in my chest routine

BeastCook
03-31-09, 12:42 am
Decline is out brother, its all about them weighted dips :)

yep

Gio71
03-31-09, 11:37 am
If i do Dips it work the triceps more than the chest i dont feel the chest when i do dips, so i think dips are shit for chest, better do decline benchpress with DB's

fingerM3
03-31-09, 5:15 pm
Is it true that Arnold didn't believe in decline benching?

Apollo Knight
08-05-09, 1:45 am
Alright I got a quick question about decline bench. I notice everyone always talking about flat incline and dips, but I was wondering if someone could breakdown why no one (or at least it seems no one) declines. I have declined alot in the past and seen my flat go up alot from heavy decline. What I would do is I would go about 2-4 weeks where all my chest days started with heavy decline, then I went onto high rep flat or incline followed by some dips or cables. I would then go back to heavy flat after the 2-4 weeks and it always went up, sometimes by alot (I would shock myself).

Just wondering why it seems everyone shy's away from decline? My bad if its a dumb question.

Thanks

whosnexttt
08-05-09, 2:26 am
Alright I got a quick question about decline bench. I notice everyone always talking about flat incline and dips, but I was wondering if someone could breakdown why no one (or at least it seems no one) declines. I have declined alot in the past and seen my flat go up alot from heavy decline. What I would do is I would go about 2-4 weeks where all my chest days started with heavy decline, then I went onto high rep flat or incline followed by some dips or cables. I would then go back to heavy flat after the 2-4 weeks and it always went up, sometimes by alot (I would shock myself).

Just wondering why it seems everyone shy's away from decline? My bad if its a dumb question.

Thanks

Because doing declines as a 3rd or 4th exercise on chest day there is really no point because your triceps are tired from heavy inclines and flat pressing, so thats why we do dips to focus on just chest, plus starting out with declines is just point less unless you want droopy chest

theharjmann
08-05-09, 3:27 am
nothing hits your pecs better than flat and incline work.

BubbyLight
08-05-09, 7:14 am
i dont even do declines

Razor
08-05-09, 8:30 am
Once in a while i'll do them but like everyone else, once i'm through 3 or 4 exercises my chest is shredded to all hell and the next morning the entire pec is sore not just one part.

IronJunkie
08-05-09, 11:25 pm
Everyone seems to be tearing apart decline presses, but in all reality, everyone is different. I can't say that decline is a staple in my training routine, but IMO it's nice to throw in every once in a while to mix things up. Once again, I'm not saying decline should be used by everyone every week, but I notice a nice stretch and soreness in my chest and intercostals after a few heavy sets of decline on my chest day, especially with dumbbells. Keep hitting it hard and heavy, bro.

dyskee
08-06-09, 1:26 pm
DIPS

Razor
08-06-09, 3:37 pm
DIPS

Yup. Dips hit mine everytime!

Ironjaw
08-06-09, 3:40 pm
isnt decline a really un natural movement that puts pressure on your delts almost solely???
i didnt realize ppl still did um... i tried them a bit back but seriously felt it tugging on my fronts...

whosnexttt
08-06-09, 6:06 pm
I Dont Want Droopy Tits! Inclines All The Way Baby!!!!!

BryanSmash!
08-07-09, 7:14 am
Everyone seems to be tearing apart decline presses, but in all reality, everyone is different. I can't say that decline is a staple in my training routine, but IMO it's nice to throw in every once in a while to mix things up. Once again, I'm not saying decline should be used by everyone every week, but I notice a nice stretch and soreness in my chest and intercostals after a few heavy sets of decline on my chest day, especially with dumbbells. Keep hitting it hard and heavy, bro.

I think this about sums it up right here, IronJunkie is right on.
For me personally, I get better thickness in my chest without the droop with doing declines. I like to flat bench for power, but it doesn't develop my chest as I am mostly a tri and delt presser.

IRN-NML
08-07-09, 8:55 am
I like the decline, but it's not a staple. I'd really prefer a steeper decline & conversely, wish the fixed incline was 30 degrees instead of the standard 45 degrees. Everyone IS different & it can be the benches we're stuck with in the gym; not the lifts that don't agree with us.

FWIW, the decline bench is good for close grip presses for tris.

sideburnz
08-07-09, 11:22 am
Dips with the upper body forward, hits the lower pec real hard. better than declines.

IRN-NML
08-16-09, 12:30 pm
Fwiw, as a chest/back finisher I did 3x25 40# dbell presses & 55, 65, 75# x 10 rep dbell pullovers on the decline. My outer chest still feels pumped and sore as h*ll. Even if the decline isn't a barbell staple, it's not bad for shaking things up now & then.

MVP
08-16-09, 3:30 pm
I prefer weighted dips, hits the clavical head of the pectoralis major just as hard.

But as far as decline presses go, people are too soon to say they are useless when no exercise (except those that can cause injury) is useless.

I feel a good contraction with my lower chest when doing decline presses. I use a certain technique though where I don't push the weight up completely vertically, I bring it down to my neck and push it up through squeezing the pecs at a slight 70 or 80 degree angle.