PDA

View Full Version : Eating the South African Menu...

cx_
01-01-08, 1:52 pm
Sup ppl, I was wondering if anyone from RSA has some advise on a proper diet homed for teh South African market availability.

I basically am looking for a program that will help "Fuel the Furnace" with a program that starts off with a 5am workout.

I was thinking something in teh line of the following:

4:30am - PAK, STAK & TEST
5am - Training
7am - Oats / Bunches of Egg Whites
10am - Shake with 41g Protein & 53g Carbs.
12pm - 2 tins tuna (approx 45-50g protein)
3:30pm - Shake with 41g Protein & 53g Carbs.
7:30pm - 2 Chicken Breasts and Pasta
9:30pm - Protein 40g.

<reveals inexperience> 0_o

I know this is not ideal so any help would be appreciated in constructing a decent and effective meal plan from South African foods.

Yeah thats right, I haven't seen any YaMs around here :D

Renji007
01-01-08, 1:57 pm
Not bad in the protien department. But Since We don't know height or weight we really can't make too much of a prediction

Though >> I would go with some more meat in here. and up that meal of tuna with something stronger to back it up man, you're an animal, not a model. Eat big, lift big, get big.

(Also -.- add more whole food >.> shakes are only to add cals not to replace them.)

cx_
01-01-08, 2:04 pm
wow, quick response :D

Soz I 4got teh basics.

I am 6'2" (1.89m) and weight roughly 253 pounds (115 kg's)

continue teh onslaught :)

Renji007
01-01-08, 2:08 pm
O-o Dude......You really need to add some more food.....>.> A guy your size needs more than tuna and powders. Go out and buy some steak or something....RIGHT NOW....Then shovel that shit down.....Seriously -.-

Ajack
01-01-08, 2:14 pm
I would definetly eat something before your workout too. Switch a shake to that spot and add whole food in it's place later in the day.

Renji007
01-01-08, 2:14 pm
Something like this would be better for a guy your size. (This is just an example)

4:30am -2 chicken breasts.1 sausage/Oats PAK, STAK & TEST
5am - Training
7am - Oats / 10 egg whites/ Tilapia, or some other form of WHOLE food
10am - Steak/Chicken/Other form of WHOLE food.
12pm - 2 tins tuna (approx 45-50g protein)/ shake/cottage cheese/ground beef, or other LEAN red meat.
3:30pm - 3 chicken breasts
5:30pm - 2 Chicken Breasts and Pasta
7:30pm - Fish. Chicken. OR another source of WHOLE FOOD
9:30Pm- Protein/ cottage cheese/ Natty peanut butter (All natural)

cx_
01-01-08, 2:15 pm
Do you think that I am on teh right path with the PAK, STACK & TEST before teh training? Maybe I need some intake before I leave for training?

Pizzalamp
01-01-08, 2:19 pm
Sup ppl, I was wondering if anyone from RSA has some advise on a proper diet homed for teh South African market availability.

I basically am looking for a program that will help "Fuel the Furnace" with a program that starts off with a 5am workout.

I was thinking something in teh line of the following:

5am - Training

I know this is not ideal so any help would be appreciated in constructing a decent and effective meal plan from South African foods.

Yeah thats right, I haven't seen any YaMs around here :D
Add some whole eggs into your egg white meal
I'm not sure about the rules of eating before stak and test but i would try to eat something before training-like a shake with oats
add some carbs to your tuna meal
and add some oats to your shake at night

Renji007
01-01-08, 2:19 pm
Yaya. Those are alright at your age. Just don't make a habit of depending on them for everything Like a few guys at my gym do...because trust me. If you do, then you are...Um...Screwed >>.

And keep the mind set of WHOLE food. That will help twice as much as the stak and test ever could.

Preston
01-01-08, 2:41 pm
What is your body fat percentage? You could listen to anyone telling you that you need more protein, but what about your carb intake? How much of your carb intake is just stored then turned into fat? Depends on your goals also, what are you going for?

Either way, good luck, good size for a start :)

cx_
01-01-08, 2:50 pm
I honestly don't know what my BFI is... :(

I am however seeing a rep at my gym tomorrow and that will be part of all that.

Thanks for the size comment Preston :) +rep :D

My end goal is to have my body as defined as possible with nice size & definition on all muscle groups. I don't want to look like the cardio instructor, I wanna be a true animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at heart and in physique !!!!!!!!

Elite
01-01-08, 2:57 pm
Bend Violator or D-Bomb's ears, and get their perspective on good South African food, in fact, anything South African.

cx_
01-01-08, 3:01 pm
Bend Violator or D-Bomb's ears, and get their perspective on good South African food, in fact, anything South African.

Thanks ThirdEye, I will do that.

Elite
01-01-08, 3:09 pm
D-Bomb
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=13622

Violator
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=4696

D-Bomb
01-03-08, 8:04 am
Sup ppl, I was wondering if anyone from RSA has some advise on a proper diet homed for the South African market availability.

I was thinking something in the line of the following:

5am - Training

Yeah thats right, I haven't seen any yam's around here :D

that diet would be good for someone who is still coming up in the ranks of weight lifting and is looking for a slow lean bulk. for someone of your size ( 6.2"" 253lbs ) you need something a whole hell of a load more substantial even to still just cut ( which i assume is what fuel the furnace means? ) and to maintain the muscle.
the foods in there are mostly good & healthy which is great. In South Africa we have Pick 'n Pay and etc, which usually would sell things like chicken quite cheap. There is better substitutes for carbohydrates than pasta, and I have found Yams in South Africa before bro! just shop around!! If you find pasta is going to be a staple in your diet then change around your meals with the pasta/chicken with the cans of tuna, you will need that mid-day energy.

if your training so early you will either have to get used to training on a empty stomach ( make sure your well hydrated then!, or you must have a light protein shake before hand or even a BCAA or EAA drink to keep your body in an energized and anabolic state so early in the day. I have read up that With TEST you need to have it with food, so maybe have some oats ( nothing heavy ) before you take all your pills, so that they don't just boil and simmer in your digestive system.

If you really wanna be strict cut off carbohydrate intake ( expect for fibrous carbohydrates ) after mid-day so they do not get stored as fat ( if you sleep after having a high carbohydrate meal then that energy is not being used up. If you do choose to eat Carbohydrates at night to keep the thyroid happy and to replenish glycogen stores then choose low glycemic index carbohydrates, you should also then have this with good fats to avoid a high insulin spike. Do not drink water within an hour before or after a carbohydrate based meal to avoid it drawing any water into your abdominals blurring them and creating a bloated feeling.

I am 6'2" (1.89m) and weight roughly 253 pounds (115 kg's)

It would help here if you could find out your body-fat and Lean Muscle mass, you must build a diet around the LMM and not support the FAT weight at all.

http://www.fitwise.com/calculator.asp

try out this site, it would of course be a lot better to get a proper BF caliper test to just get a bearing of where you are.

Do you think that I am on the right path with the PAK, STACK & TEST before the training? Maybe I need some intake before I leave for training?

as said above, it is recommended you consume something to avoid any discomfort or anything else which is negative. it would be pretty awesome though to see where that stack takes you though!!

I honestly don't know what my BFI is... :(

I am however seeing a rep at my gym tomorrow and that will be part of all that.

Thanks for the size comment Preston :) +rep :D

My end goal is to have my body as defined as possible with nice size & definition on all muscle groups. I don't want to look like the cardio instructor, I wanna be a true animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at heart and in physique !!!!!!!!

with your height and Weight your Body mass Index would be In the Obese Class I but that is where I am at as well ( i am 5.68" at 87.7 kilograms with about 15% body-fat, and i am read off as Obese ) so it is better to get proper readings BMI does not help THAT MUCH.
update after you see the rep!
yeah man thats impressive weight and height!!
awesome brother, well update us on any numbers/stats that could help...

by the way if i have said something which is not clear to anybody please ask me to explain i get lost in my thoughts sometimes.

Edit

will be editing this post later when i find a certain book i have.

cx_
01-03-08, 8:14 am
Yo D-Bomb, very nice response (+rep, +set) ;) , answered most of my questions right away.

Will update as soon as I have finalized everything.

Peace,

cx_
01-03-08, 10:53 am
OK, the verdict is in.... sigh..... Note 2 all, don't train and then stop physical activities due to work and expect to have a reasonable BMI when you return to training :(. FFS!!!!!!!!!

My Stats now are as follows:
NOTE: Grab a hold of something sturdy in case you faint...

Height: 6'2" / 1.89m
Weight: 261lbs / 118.4 kg's
body fat: 30.4%
BMI: 33.1
blood pressure: 126/80 mmHg

well, all that aside, NOW I HAVE A GOAL TO KICK ASS AND TRAIN LIKE AN ANIMAL!!!!!!!

I will regularly be updating my progress in My Journey.

I will be posting my workout routines and nutritional info as well. I will update the foodz0rs 2nite as soon as I have recovered from my shock measurements...!!!

cx_
01-04-08, 1:15 pm
I have decided to go for something like this:

4:15am - STAK2
4:30am - PUMP
5am - Training
7am - Oats / 10 egg whites & PAK
10am - Steak / Chicken
12pm - 2 Tins Tuna & MAX
3:30pm - MAX
5:30pm - 2 Chicken Breasts and Large Potato
7:30pm - Fish / Chicken / Beef & Pasta
9:30pm- MAX

I will run the TEST phase on my next 3 month cycle

Do you think I have all bases covered?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

D-Bomb
01-04-08, 2:43 pm
Looks like a pretty good plan there man!, look the best you can really do is go by experimenting and you will eventually figure out when your body is at its peak and when it needs this or that, so you may end up adding or changing food up, changing training time, adding volume/different methods/exercises...

if your at 30+ % BF then you have some work ahead of you but if you eat clean and make sure you stay focused you will get there. remember for the supplements make sure your drinking at least 500ml water with them,so id say a litre of water in the morning would do well, start with 3 litres consumed over the day.

cx_
01-04-08, 3:25 pm
Will do.

Thanks 2 all thus far for the guidance received!!

violator
01-07-08, 1:26 am
I have decided to go for something like this:

4:15am - STAK2
4:30am - PUMP
5am - Training
7am - Oats / 10 egg whites & PAK
10am - Steak / Chicken
12pm - 2 Tins Tuna & MAX
3:30pm - MAX
5:30pm - 2 Chicken Breasts and Large Potato
7:30pm - Fish / Chicken / Beef & Pasta
9:30pm- MAX

I will run the TEST phase on my next 3 month cycle

Do you think I have all bases covered?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Yo, yo...SA in the house!

always good to see a fellow south african in the ranks, welcome to the forvm(altho uve been here 4 a while..)

Dude..what the fuck is max?, im guessing its ur protien?, becareful with protiens here bro, alotta them are shit...i stick with biogen nitro-gain, 42g pro, 19g carbs...good nutes & minimal carbs, if ur 30%, itll work a charm...for ur evening protien check out an isolated protien with no carbs & mix it with milk/ cottage cheese & eat 1/2 a cup of plain unsweetened yogurt with it...u dont want carbs stacking up into fat deposits overnight..

D-Bombs on the right track, keep ur water intake high, around 6-9 litres(9 on training days), ull find u drop allota weight when u start doing this, cause all the water retained in ur muscle flushes out, its not uncommon to see cats drop 5kgs in the first week they start drinking water....

Like D said, cut out carbs in ur last 3 meals before bed, this will help with unwanted fatr deposits, only stick with fibrous carbs, broccoli, cauliflower(sorry to repeat Bomb here, but its essential)

so to re-iterate once again, id go with something like this;

4:15am-stak
4:30am-pump
workout
7am-1 1/2 cups oatmeal, 12-15eggwhites, 2 pieces fruit, pak
10am- 300g steak/chicken, fibrous carbs
1pm- 2 tins tuna, 2 pieces fruit
4pm-shake +fruit
7pm-300g steak/chicken + fibrous carbs(1cup - 1 1/2cups)
10pm- isolated protien + cottage cheese + 1 cup unsweetened yogurt + natty PB

remember, 9litres water during training fdays, this is soooo neccesary......

u can find ggod food at P n P, spar & woolires, the only place ive seen natty PB is at woolies, in the yellow jar....add loadsa top quality steak, from pick n pay, i love the lazy aged steak....

well good luck bro, catch u in the trenches....

cx_
01-15-08, 8:29 am
Yo, Thanks man, Looks like pretty good advise!

I will run another 2 weeks with my current Diet and then see what I might need to swap out.

In the back of my mind I am currently feeling that I am missing something in the protein section. The MAX i refer 2 is Animal MAX, the chocolate flavor.

My mind feels all lost now, weird actually, I am confident yet uncertain.

violator
01-17-08, 8:24 am
[QUOTE=cx_;265945]...In the back of my mind I am currently feeling that I am missing something in the protein section. The MAX i refer 2 is Animal MAX, the chocolate flavor....QUOTE]

Good stuff, but way expensive man....check out dischem....biogen nitro-gain..R 360.00 for 2.2kg.....if u wanna up protien, also check out dessicated liver tabs, have a couple with every whole food meal....

& DRINK A SHITLOAD OF WATER!!!, or u might fuck ur kidneys up from elevated protien synthesis....

cx_
01-20-08, 9:30 am
I spoke the rep at Dischem today and he recommended that I maybe go for the Biogen nitro-gain mass. Seems pretty decent, only problem is that I will be using two tubs per month in stead of 1 as there are roughly 30 servings per tub, thus 15 day supply....

sigh....

violator
01-22-08, 1:20 am
Man i hate those useless fucks at dischem that dont know what their talkin about....i shoulda warned u not to engage with any conversation with them, why?, cause their fuckin morons that wouldnt know a protien powder from a tub of nesquik...

Brother...i did hear u straight when u said u were lookin to lean up a bit from 30%??
then i hate to break it to ya, but nitro-gain MASS aint the right choice...as i recall its got like 77grams of carbs perserving.....this will thicken u up in know time flat & ull increase BF for sure....if u can, take it back & swap it for Nitro-gain...42protien / 19carbs...much better....otherwise...just finish the tub & start with the other next time.....also, look into isolated protien for a bed time shake, because it has NO carbs in it....

hows the workouts goin?

Northman
01-22-08, 6:12 am
I've read through your thread and it looks like you are receiving some solid advice AND implementing it. Just a few pointers from myself... It looks like you are waking around 4am and your first nutrient intake is at 7am. This is NOT ideal. If you can stomach it have some protein a little while before training and you must have a fast digesting protein IMMEDIATELY after training. A whey protein would be ideal. Then continue with the rest of the day as you stated. Make sure you get enough sleep so you are well rested for those early morning workouts. If there is anything I can help you with, just shoot me a PM... later.

cx_
01-28-08, 8:03 am
@violator:

luckily I haven't bought the Nitro-Gain as yet, I am still finishing my Animal MAX tubs... and yes, I am looking to minimize my BF and max my Muscle gain. I know you can't have the best of both world's so I would prefer to drop the BF and then Bulk. Don't you guys maybe think I should bulk while I'm at this size or not?

@Stiff:

ta bro, always nice to get some motivational posts from other people. You have a valid point there on the Protein b4 training, Maybe I should take some. Any recommendations from anyone? Like I mentioned earlier, I am finishing my last tub of MAX so will that b fine for now? maybe until I get Nitro-Gain?

Also on the Tuna side of Life.... I have started to add some cocktail tomatoes and some Cross & Blackwell Trim Low Fat Dressing to the Tuna for taste. Do you think the salad dressing will screw up something?

Whats your thoughts guys?

Peace,

D-Bomb
01-28-08, 1:50 pm
Rather try cut down to what is "considered" a healthy Body fat % 15-18 percent and then consider trying to gain strength and size etc. I sit around 17% body-fat and am getting stronger every week, At 30+% your playing games with your health at a high level, your body will be happier with less fat bro, then muscle.

cx_
01-28-08, 1:58 pm
Then do you think I should change my diet to do that? Or do you think that the current diet will do the trick of dropping the BF?

D-Bomb
01-28-08, 2:01 pm
as you said to Vio earlier in the thread, keep running with your current plan and then see where it has brought you, and make the changes. :)

cx_
01-28-08, 2:07 pm
on my tuna question of earlier... what is your opinion?

D-Bomb
01-28-08, 2:22 pm
it shouldn't destroy the benefits of the Tuna, just make sure you read the label info and know what contents you sticking into your stomach. I often use Tomato sauce or what not at supper time etc, obviously the best is to have tuna RAW, but we know that STINKS after a couple weeks, as long as you keep it in check.

cx_
01-28-08, 2:44 pm
I'll post the nut info tomorrow, I let the bottle at work.

One thing I can remember is that it is low FAT and only has 6kj / g ... supposed to be good for controlled diets according to the label.

cx_
01-29-08, 6:38 am
Ok, the name of the stuff is Crosse & Blackwell TRIM 1000 islands Salad dressing with the following nut info:

Nutritional info per 100g:
Energy: 523kj
Protein: 0.3g
Fat: 9.6g
Carbs: 9.0g
Dietary Fibre: 0.3g
Sodium < 120mg
Cholesterol < 5mg

details are listed here: http://www.nestle.co.za/default.aspx?pid=145

Thanks Bro!

Peace,

violator
01-29-08, 8:59 am
Brother, contrary to what u believe, u can lose the fat & GAIN muscle...thats right, i said it & im not talking shit....the key remains in ur diet & doin CARDIO...i dropped 3kg fat & increase muclse mas by 5kg in 12 weeks last year, its not a myth..
ur success at it is determined by ur own dedication to those 2 things, i.e; how many clean calories u can eat(& how much), & how much time u put in on the dreadmill..perod..finished & klaar, nahmean?

the pros bulk & cut, u dont neccesarily need to do what they do exactly, try eating no carbs, it blows...& i doubt ur training for a show anytime soon, just wanting to beef up & get trim!, it can be done!

As for the mayo, dont sweat it, its fine, just dont go overboard with it...

cx_
01-29-08, 3:15 pm
I do a hard 10 mins bike every morning before hitting the iron. I do a hard fast bike session to make my heart beat at least at 150 bpm avg for the 10 mins.

On the salad dressing... I only have it once a day at lunch with my Tuna. PerioD!! :D

I dont feel like im losing much cm's in weight, except for the pump that Im getting.

Your spot on with my goal for the moment, I am not training for a show, only doing it for my health and physique. If I do well enough, maybe then I'll do a show or 2 :)

hmmm, why does this post feel telegraph style?? maybe anxious about the next load shedding? :P

D-Bomb
02-18-08, 4:56 am
lol weird enough the ld has stopped, so updateS?

osiris
02-18-08, 12:56 pm
Yo bro, just thort I'd thro in my 50cents.
On those low fat goodies, like the mayo, check the ingredients- they list it in order of quantity, and if sugar is in the top 3, don't use it.

Welcome and good luck with your goal.

violator
02-21-08, 7:11 am
where u at cx?

ashalley
02-21-08, 5:04 pm
Where's the beef? Literally work some lean cuts of steak in there and pound down some biltong. I had trouble cutting out boerewors especially in the form of boerie rolls.

aussie bulk
02-21-08, 8:02 pm
hey man........ to get your diet up to scratch get yourself a bracelet made up that reads...

WWODRD

Which means, 'What Would Os Du Rant Do?'

You can bet that the big prop foward eats like a damn lion!!!!!

Grue
07-07-10, 3:28 am
hey man........ to get your diet up to scratch get yourself a bracelet made up that reads...

WWODRD

Which means, 'What Would Os Du Rant Do?'

You can bet that the big prop foward eats like a damn lion!!!!!

lol