PDA

View Full Version : "Enter the Confessional" - Rev's Research

rev8ball
01-11-08, 3:13 am
I am constantly coming across great research, and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread relating to the research behind the madness. Here, I will post articles relating to any aspect of the iron world, or, if it's too long, I'll just post a link to it. Some I have written personally, but mostly they will be from peer-reviewed journals and studies. If you have any questions about a particluar topic, ask away and I'll see what I can find out. Hey, I already have to do this for work and school, so you guys might as well benefit from it, too!

So, without further delay...

"Renounce your training sins of poor form and bad habits! Using the science behind the sport, you will be healed of your vile training ways..."

rev8ball
01-11-08, 3:14 am
As part of my pre-proposal for my thesis, this semester I did a literature review for Beta-Alanine.

There is a lot of scientific blah blah, but ultimately, it supports all the stuff that we know about BA. If you're considering taking it, give this a quick read - all of the research is cited, so it will allow you to see the evidence that this stuff may actually work.

http://dominateyourgame.com/new_page_8.htm

rev8ball
01-11-08, 3:19 am
Here is a summary of an article written regarding the what and when of taking protein in relation to resistance training. Great support for Animal Nitro:

http://dominateyourgame.com/new_page_9.htm

McFly
01-11-08, 8:40 am
awesome! looks like i found my morning reading materials!!!!

thanks for sharing!

McFly
01-11-08, 11:36 am
i just read through all this with my yellow highlighter!!....VERY good read lots of good info.

check it out, thanks Rev

J-Dawg
01-11-08, 12:02 pm
Great reads Rev. Thanks for posting these. I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeves.

Hardcore4Life
01-11-08, 12:27 pm
this will turn out to be a very useful thread.....

live2lift
01-16-08, 12:03 pm
Just subbed to this thread. Awesome info brotha. Peace

Wasteland
01-16-08, 12:04 pm
Great thread. Let's use it to have a lively and productive discussion.

Freakshow
01-16-08, 12:07 pm
Looks like this is going to be a great resource thread. Thanks Rev

BigMikey21
01-16-08, 12:09 pm
Def a good thread to have in any forum...Good work!

PJC
01-16-08, 12:24 pm
Subbed

Wasteland
01-16-08, 12:26 pm
Maybe we could turn this into a discussion thread? Like a book club but for bodybuilders? We'd all read the same research, then have a conversation about it.

Wasteland
01-16-08, 12:30 pm
"It appears that the benefit of pre-exercise EAA ingestion is not seen with whole proteins. Increases in arterial amino acid concentrations is approximately 100% higher than resting levels after ingestion of EAAs but only 30% higher after whey protein ingestion. The addition of whey protein (17.5 g) to an EAA and CHO (77.4 g) drink consumed 1 hour after resistance training does appear to enhance muscle protein net balance by extending the anabolic response. In addition, the consumption of milk 1 hour after resistance training demonstrated a stimulated significant net uptake of amino acids."

I've said it many times, free form EAA are far more beneficial than intact proteins such as whey. However, one must always take into account factors like timing, cost, application, etc.

rev8ball
01-16-08, 12:37 pm
"It appears that the benefit of pre-exercise EAA ingestion is not seen with whole proteins. Increases in arterial amino acid concentrations is approximately 100% higher than resting levels after ingestion of EAAs but only 30% higher after whey protein ingestion. The addition of whey protein (17.5 g) to an EAA and CHO (77.4 g) drink consumed 1 hour after resistance training does appear to enhance muscle protein net balance by extending the anabolic response. In addition, the consumption of milk 1 hour after resistance training demonstrated a stimulated significant net uptake of amino acids."

I've said it many times, free form EAA are far more beneficial than intact proteins such as whey. However, one must always take into account factors like timing, cost, application, etc.

Exactly. The EAAs seem to be more beneficial immediately pre-work out. But a whole protein post-workout is better than EAA alone.

Another thing that I found interesting in these studies was that the consumption of a whole protein and EAAs, and also a whey with a casein, did not affect the timing absorbtion of any of them. It seems that the body is able to separate what it needs at what time it needs it, and uses it accordingly.

Wasteland
01-16-08, 12:41 pm
Exactly. The EAAs seem to be more beneficial immediately pre-work out. But a whole protein post-workout is better than EAA alone.

Another thing that I found interesting in these studies was that the consumption of a whole protein and EAAs, and also a whey with a casein, did not affect the timing absorbtion of any of them. It seems that the body is able to separate what it needs at what time it needs it, and uses it accordingly.

I would extend that superiority to post-workout as well, based on the literature I've read. That said, let's be careful to contextualize what we're talking about rev8ball, right? I'm mainly talking about enhanced protein synthesis (anabolism). There are many instances where intact proteins would be superior to free form EAAs. What I do PWO is take EAAs alone, then follow it up with a more nutrient-dense meal (whole meal, Torrent, etc.).

rev8ball
01-22-08, 3:14 am
Optimizing Squat Technique
Paul Comfort, MS, CSCS
Peter Kasim
National Strength & Conditioning Association
Volume 29, Number 6, pages 10-13

Summary

Contrary to popular belief, research has demonstrated that the squat does not place excessive strain on the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), even though compressive and shear forces to the knee have been shown to increase as knee flexion increases, reaching peak values near maximum knee flexion. Research has shown that the squat exercise produces significantly less anterior displacement when compared to the open kinetic chain (OKC) exercise of the leg extension, thus reducing the amount of strain placed on the ACL. Similar results regarding peak posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) forces have also been found, with forces >4.5 times body mass during isokinetic and isometric leg extension, compared to 3.5 times body mass during the squat. ACL forces were also much lower when the squat was performed with heals on the ground compared with heels elevated during both the descent and ascent.

A deeper squat tends to lead to anterior displacement of the knees and may increase strain on the ACL and meniscus. However, research has demonstrated that restricting anterior movement so that the knees do not pass beyond the toes results in a decreased knee torque. However, the restricted squat also increased forward lean, which was shown to increase lumbar shear forces. However, maintaining a forward or upward gaze with in head positioning will help prevent this increase in lumbar shear forces.

Rotating the feet (neutral, 30-40 degrees, medial, 80 degree lateral rotation) while performing the squat, regardless of depth and stance width (75-140% shoulder width), has been shown to have no noticeable effect on muscle activity of the lower leg (rectus femoris, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, adductor longus, semimembranosus, semitendinosus, and bicep femoris). Two studies indicate stance width variation does alter muscle recruitment patterns increasing activity of the adductor longus when a wide stance is used (> shoulder width). This increase in activation may increase force production and therefore performance during the execution of the lift.

It is also important to ensure adequate conditioning of the hamstring muscles in comparison to the quadriceps to ensure adequate force generation during co-contraction to minimize both anterior and lateral tibial translation, decrease shear forces, and increase knee stability. Increasing the force of co-contraction of the hamstrings has also been shown to reduce ACL forces during knee flexion and therefore may reduce injury.

Conclusion:
Optimal squat technique to minimize the risk of injury and ensure maximal activation of the leg muscles should be wide stance (feet > shoulder width) with a natural foot positioning; unrestricted knee movement of the knees (heels remain in contact with the floor, knees do not travel over toes); and gaze should stay forward or upward.

*Summary by Michael S. Palmieri, CSCS, USAW

Big Wides
01-22-08, 10:24 am
thats good information Rev. so what i can gather from the Squat Tech. is that wider is better not only for the knees but for muscle recruitement as well?

Wasteland
01-22-08, 10:28 am
I realize this is takes us out of bounds of this thread, but anyone interested in having a discussions about protein, aminos and insulin, check it out: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=14363

rev8ball
01-22-08, 11:51 am
thats good information Rev. so what i can gather from the Squat Tech. is that wider is better not only for the knees but for muscle recruitement as well?

Bingo.
Wider stance, keeping heels on the ground and knees behind toes, will result in less knee injuries and increased power. The article also mentioned about how parallel or lower squat depth may help as well, but didn't really focus on it.

live2lift
01-22-08, 4:16 pm
Good info Rev...I will use this tonight when I hit the squats. Peace

rev8ball
01-31-08, 3:51 am
I got a special request regarding the science behind exercise hyperemia, also know as the ever elusive "pump." Believe it or not, there has been a lot of research regarding it, but, the results are only general. Trying to narrow it down to something more specific just hasn't been accomplished yet.

Take a look:

http://dominateyourgame.com/exercise_hyperemia.htm

McFly
01-31-08, 7:54 am
another good read. thanks for sharing this info.

NumeroUno
01-31-08, 10:19 am
Thanks for fulfilling my request Rev, you're still the best!

-NumeroUno

rev8ball
08-20-08, 3:50 pm
A popular research topic in the modern Sport Science studies has been pre- and post- training nutrition, and their effects on performance. However, more recent research has focused on intra-workout nutrition as well. This review will touch on all three.

Before proceeding further, one must understand the concept of Net Protein Balance. Net Protein Balance (NPB) equals Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS) minus Muscle Protein Breakdown (MPB), or NPB = MPS - MPB. And for muscle repair to occur, NPB must be positive, that is, MPS > MPB. And though MPS does increase with resistance training, it is not enough to be greater than MPB. NPB can only be positive when some sort of protein is consumed in conjunction with resistance training. Phillips et al JACN 2005.

Pre-workout nutrition has been discovered to be as important, if not more, than post. In several recent studies, the consumption of plain water, a carbohydrate (CHO) drink, a whole protein and CHO drink, and an Essential Amino Acid (EEA) and CHO drink was analyzed. The results were that with the consumption of 6g of EEA, along with 35g of CHO, stimulated the greatest amount of net protein synthesis, and that this combination is significantly superior to the other fluids. More importantly, however, is that NPS is superior when this combination of EEA and CHO is consumed prior to exercise as compare to when consumed after exercise. Tipton et al AJP 2001.

For intra workout nutrition, the consumption of 6g of EEA with 35g of CHO, independent of the pre-workout meal, presents several major benefits: a greater decrease in Cortisol; the greatest effect on Insulin release post exercise; the greatest effect on Testosterone release during exercise; and the greatest decrease in Muscle Protein Breakdown up to 48 hours post exercise. It also boosts the anabolic effect of resistance training to greater extent vs. CHO or EEA independently. Byrd et al 2006. Also, during glycolysis, carbohydrate ingestion helps with the maintenance of intramuscular glycogen stores due to greater glycogen resynthesis during resistance training: muscle glycogen stores are used during repeated bouts of anaerobic activity. When a particular set is discontinued, the glycogen stores attempt to reload, up to the commencement of another bout of exercise, in which the glycogen stores are activated once again. The consumption of 4-8g/mL of CHO provides adequate CHO for glycogen maintenance during exercise without gastric emptying distress.

In regards to post workout, both casein and whey protein are very rich in EEAs and BCAAs. Since casein clots in the gut, it delays gastric emptying, thereby exhibiting a slower release of aminos. Whey is soluble, allowing for a faster gastric emptying, and therefore a more rapid release of aminos. It had been thought that consuming casein with whey post workout would delay the absorption of whey, minimizing the effectiveness of its rapid release of aminos. However, a major find is that consuming casein and whey together will not negatively affect the absorption of each individually. In fact, the combination of both, such as in milk, seems to improve their absorbability, and will actually provided protein synthesis 4-9 times better and for longer period of time post workout than casein or whey individually. Bilsborough et al IJSNEM 2006.

At least 15g of whole protein is needed in order to get at least 6g of EAAs post workout. However, the effectiveness ceiling may be 40g.

Also, though no study has definitively concluded a specific ratio of CHO and protein post workout (2:1, 4:1, etc.), research has concluded that the aforementioned protein must be consumed in conjunction with a CHO in a ratio greater than 1:1 in order to maximize the absorbability of both the protein and the CHO. And, since glucose is not insulin dependent post workout, a combo of CHO/PRO will also provided for greatest storage of glycogen, as well as a greater insulin response. Ivy et al JAP 2002, Van Loon et al AJCN 2000.

Summarized by Michael S. Palmieri, CSCS, USAW, from the NSCA National Conference 2008 symposiums presented by:
•Jose Antonio, PhD, CSCS, FACSM, FNSCA, FISSN
•Jeffrey Stout, PhD, CSCS, FNSCA
•Joseph Weir, PhD, FNSCA
•Joel Cramer, PhD, CSCS, FNSCA
•David Sandler, MS, CSCS*D, FNSCA

McFly
08-21-08, 7:43 am
another good read...thanks rev

NickSP
09-06-08, 11:30 pm
so EAA's greatest benefits comes from taking them preWO rather than postWO (something that reverses what I have always believed),
EAA's/carbs would be the best thing intra,
more carbs than protein postWO,
and as many know...get your shit in before an hour's up.

Anything I screwed up?

NickSP
09-06-08, 11:45 pm
"Some other factors that promotes blood flow in association with muscle activity must first overcome the contraction induce impediment to flow for the muscle pump to be effective."

This one kinda got my attention a bit...since it says the biological things are slower to happen, would this mean that to at least a small extent, pausing at the bottom of a rep for example (while the muscle is NOT contracted and therefore not "kinking" the vein) would actually help promote the blood flow to the muscle?

rev8ball
09-08-08, 11:46 am
so EAA's greatest benefits comes from taking them preWO rather than postWO (something that reverses what I have always believed),
EAA's/carbs would be the best thing intra,
more carbs than protein postWO,
and as many know...get your shit in before an hour's up.

Anything I screwed up?

Pretty much it.
EEAs are effective both pre and post. However, pre-EEAs has been shown to be more effective than a pre-whole protein. And, there is a better anabolic effect from pre than post. On the other side, both EEAs and a whole protein post are about equally effective, so it comes down to cost; since EEAs are much more expensive, save them for pre, which shows better results, than post.

rev8ball
09-08-08, 11:50 am
"Some other factors that promotes blood flow in association with muscle activity must first overcome the contraction induce impediment to flow for the muscle pump to be effective."

This one kinda got my attention a bit...since it says the biological things are slower to happen, would this mean that to at least a small extent, pausing at the bottom of a rep for example (while the muscle is NOT contracted and therefore not "kinking" the vein) would actually help promote the blood flow to the muscle?

Possibly, almost allowing for a "re-filling" effect. But, that's the problem with the ever-elusive "pump:" the exact form and function of it is not exactly know.

Universal Rep
09-08-08, 12:04 pm
Pretty much it.
EEAs are effective both pre and post. However, pre-EEAs has been shown to be more effective than a pre-whole protein. And, there is a better anabolic effect from pre than post. On the other side, both EEAs and a whole protein post are about equally effective, so it comes down to cost; since EEAs are much more expensive, save them for pre, which shows better results, than post.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this, R... I've seen compelling studies of EAA use post-workout... And while both EAAs and whole protein post are effective, EAAs are far more efficient, calling into question the issue of cost...

rev8ball
09-08-08, 12:29 pm
I'm not sure I'd agree with this, R... I've seen compelling studies of EAA use post-workout... And while both EAAs and whole protein post are effective, EAAs are far more efficient, calling into question the issue of cost...

EAAs are very effective post. However, current research has shown that Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS) is much higher and lasts longer when EEAs are consumed pre vs. post. When consumed post, there is an elevation, but not as much and for not long as when consumed pre. EEAs will always be the preferred form of aminos pre and post by the body; non-EEAs have shown basically a nil effect on MPS, except to maybe help overcome a rate-limiting amino acid. But, the same research demonstrates that the body is able to draw the EEAs from a whole protein post workout meal almost as effectively as just consuming EEAs independently. That's the reason I said it may be a cost issue. If one can afford taking EEAs pre and post, then they should. However, if they must make a choice of one or the other due to financial reasons, then they should consume EEAs pre and a whole protein post.

Universal Rep
09-08-08, 12:32 pm
EAAs are very effective post. However, current research has shown that Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS) is much higher and lasts longer when EEAs are consumed pre vs. post. When consumed post, there is an elevation, but not as much and for not long as when consumed pre. EEAs will always be the preferred form of aminos pre and post by the body; non-EEAs have shown basically a nil effect on MPS, except to maybe help overcome a rate-limiting amino acid. But, the same research demonstrates that the body is able to draw the EEAs from a whole protein post workout meal almost as effectively as just consuming EEAs independently. That's the reason I said it may be a cost issue. If one can afford taking EEAs pre and post, then they should. However, if they must make a choice of one or the other due to financial reasons, then they should consume EEAs pre and a whole protein post.

As always, I'd be much obliged if you could send/PM/post the studies brother... Again, based on the literature I'm familiar with, free form EAAs, post, have been shown to be more effective than intact protein (whey).

rev8ball
09-08-08, 1:04 pm
As always, I'd be much obliged if you could send/PM/post the studies brother... Again, based on the literature I'm familiar with, free form EAAs, post, have been shown to be more effective than intact protein (whey).

No prob, bro. I'll go through what I've got and compile a list for ya....

Universal Rep
09-08-08, 1:07 pm
No prob, bro. I'll go through what I've got and compile a list for ya....

Sweet. Thanks, R...

rev8ball
09-10-08, 2:59 am
Sweet. Thanks, R...

Check your inbox.......

rev8ball
07-01-09, 3:26 am
Okay, so it's been too long since I posted in here. School and work have been kicking my ass. But some good has come of it. What I've been getting done there, I'm gonna be posting here.

First off is a 4.5 minute sample video of my presentation (using biocmechanics to analyze performance testing) at the Arnold Strength Training Summit 2009. The entire lecture lasted an hour, so this only covers a little bit, specifically the deadlift. But I think you will get the just of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voI_KvKG5x4

Also, in May, we did a research project using EAA Nitro (thanks to UN!) in regards to extending time to muscular fatigue. I haven't been able to post it here yet because of some things that I had to go through with it for school, but it should be up in the next week or so.

J-Dawg
07-01-09, 8:38 am
Also, in May, we did a research project using EAA Nitro (thanks to UN!) in regards to extending time to muscular fatigue. I haven't been able to post it here yet because of some things that I had to go through with it for school, but it should be up in the next week or so.

This is very exciting Rev. Looking forward to hearing the results.

J-Dawg
07-01-09, 8:45 am
First off is a 4.5 minute sample video of my presentation (using biocmechanics to analyze performance testing) at the Arnold Strength Training Summit 2009. The entire lecture lasted an hour, so this only covers a little bit, specifically the deadlift. But I think you will get the just of it:

This is a very scientific and informative video on deads. Great job. Do you have any more Rev?

Wasteland
07-01-09, 2:17 pm
Okay, so it's been too long since I posted in here. School and work have been kicking my ass. But some good has come of it. What I've been getting done there, I'm gonna be posting here.

Interesting. Outcome?

rev8ball
07-01-09, 2:54 pm
This is a very scientific and informative video on deads. Great job. Do you have any more Rev?

Thanks, J. The hour-long version is probably pretty boring, though, except to nerds like us....LOL

The only other vids I have on youtube right now are "webisodes" (as I like to call them) where people send us questions, and we answer them (generically) in about 1.5 minutes. I have a few other lectures coming up in the next few months, so, hopefully, I'll get those recorded and posted.

rev8ball
07-01-09, 2:55 pm
Interesting. Outcome?

Results, as well as the entire study, should be up in about a week or so...

rev8ball
07-14-09, 2:14 am
Okay, so with the NSCA National Conference last week, I got delayed posting this. But here it is.

I did a research project this past Spring investigating if an Essential Amino Acid (EAA) and Carbohydrate (CHO) product (EAA Ntiro in particular) could extend the time to muscular fatigue in an anaerobic exercise, namely, the deadlift.

Here is the Discussion and Practical Application of the paper. If you really want to read all of the scientific gobbely-goop, the link to the full article is at the bottom. Have fun!

Discussion

The aim of this investigation was to examine if the effects of a CHO and EAA blend consumed prior to an exercise regimen would increase the time to observing the biomechanical qualities indicative of the muscular fatigue characteristics of anaerobic exercise by increasing skeletal muscle levels of glycogen. Several studies have reported on the successful effects of a CHO and EAA supplement’s effect on muscular fatigue for an anaerobic resistance exercise, and this study is in agreement with those (1, 5, 6, 10, 12, 23). Yet, application to a specific multi-joint, compound movement like the deadlift is not quite as common, though a strong connection between anaerobic exercise and multi-joint movements has been established (22). The results of this study, therefore, demonstrate that this may be the case; specifically, supplementing nutritionally with 35 g of CHO and 6 g of EAA may increase the time to muscular fatigue during a multi-joint exercise in an anaerobic environment.

An increased Force production for P1 in the tenth repetition in the second trial demonstrates the possible success of the treatment. Muscles will display an increase in the biomechanical signs of muscle fatigue as the exercise time increases, including Force (13, 17, 25). These signs will begin to increase at a later point in the exercise as the overall time to fatigue extends. Therefore, increasing the number of repetitions of where Force decreases from ten to fifteen will reflect the increase in time to failure. Consequently, this shifts the points in time when the signs of fatigue begin to manifest.

The number of repetitions completed by the participants before muscular failure in the pre-intervention test is in agreement with, and is within, established norms, that is, 8-12 repetitions with an 80% 1RM load (24). However, the increase to fifteen repetitions that P1 accomplished is noteworthy, even though the mean difference between the participants was only 1.5. Heavy, complex, multi-joint movements like the deadlift tend to produce muscle exhaustion relatively quickly, as mentioned above. This is why percentages of 1RM greater than 80% show a rapid decrease in the number of repetitions (24). Therefore, what was accomplished with these trials may be important since this range was extended.

The increase in Power in P1 is an obvious consequence of the increase in Force, particularly with this exercise because Distance and Time stay relatively constant. Consequently, as the Force increases, Power will increase as well.

P1 showed a marked increase in the acceleration of the bar between pre and post tests. However, the small mean difference between the participants may be apparent for many of the same reasons as cited above regarding the number of repetitions. The deadlift is intended as a strength exercise, that is, heavy weights are needed to stimulate fast twitch fibers, and it is expected to be a slow movement. Therefore, what may at first seem like a small increase may actually be significant.

Overall, P2 maintained her performance from pre-intervention to post-intervention testing. This correlates to the established models for this type of activity, as mentioned before. However, P1 saw a marked increase in his performance, as is obvious with his collected data. This current investigation may support the aforementioned studies, as well as extending their validity to this particular type of exercise, and possibly expanding its relevance. Further investigations regarding these outcomes should be conducted, broadening the sample size to exhibit statistical significance.

Practical Application

Anaerobic applications dominate modern sporting activities. The strength and conditioning programs that help improve these athletes are anaerobic as well. However, the anaerobic states that these programs possess demonstrate short validity, and must be kept to limited time periods. Continuing past these time restraints can only assure a decrease in exercise proficiency and effectiveness, and increase the possibility of injury. Increasing the time to muscular fatigue with these exercises can broaden their application by allowing longer and more intense use of the movements. This will also demonstrate a decrease in the risk of injury from these programs by increasing the maintenance of proper form for the duration of the exercise.

http://dominateyourgame.com/cho.htm

J-Dawg
07-14-09, 12:02 pm
Very good writeup Rev. Sounds very promising even though this is just a few whom were tested.

rev8ball
07-14-09, 12:21 pm
Very good writeup Rev. Sounds very promising even though this is just a few whom were tested.

Thanks, J.
Yeah, the project for my professor was more for method development, but I ran the whole gambit in doing the study since it is similar to my thesis (using beta-Alanine, though). Even though the sample size was small, the differences in the means were impressive. There have been previous studies supporting the use of an EAA/CHO supplement in extending time to muscular fatigue. But applying it to something more anaerobically specific like the deadlift has been rare. So, with this behind me, I'm pushing to have a more extensive study done - we'll see.

live2lift
07-14-09, 12:28 pm
Great info Rev...thanks for posting that.

Peace

rev8ball
02-05-10, 11:32 am
I just realized that I never posted my review of Rage's Hell Raiser training regimen here in my research thread. So, for ease of access and reference, here it is:

Although Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and Myofibrillar hypertrophy can never be completely separated, an individual can focus training on one over another. The theory behind Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is that by forcing the muscle fibers to exert force to a certain level of exhaustion, it conditions the body to compel the muscles to increase the storage of necessary nutrients in order to maintain the required levels of energy to sustain the needed levels of force. Increases in stored levels of glycogen, ATP, Calcium, CHOs, CP, etc., lends to the increase in the size of the Sarcomere, without a corresponding increase in contractile proteins. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy also alters the osmotic gradient across the cell, that is, fluid flows into the cell to reestablish it. In turn, the cells swell, thereby increasing total muscle size.

One of the most productive means to induce Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is eccentric training. It is known that if the same force is exerted during the concentric phase of the lift as in the eccentric phase, fewer muscle fibers are activated while the muscle lengthens. Because of this, eccentric contractions allow greater overall force production in addition to less fiber recruitment, which means the fibers are stressed more.

Because of this difference in fiber activation and utilization, a typical pyramid loading method may not be the most effective in the development of muscle. The torque generated by the eccentric load is greater than during the concentric contraction. In regards to typical resistance training, both types of contractions are involved, and, therefore, the concentric contraction limits the performance of the muscle; hence the amount of load that can be used is also limited. Similarly, since the intensity of exercise is reliant on the magnitude of the load relative to maximum capabilities, it is logical to assume that the concentric phase is the variable that experiences the greater stress, and therefore the greater adaptation (Hortobagyi and Katch 1990).

Eccentric contractions are generally believed to induce greater gains by providing a greater training stimulus because there are greater forces associated with them. This fact may lead someone to believe that training eccentrically exclusively would be the best choice for the best gains. This, however, is not the total case. The size of the force relative to the maximum is what determines training stimulus, not the absolute force. Many studies show that concentric-only and eccentric-only programs yield similar gains in strength and work capacity. It seems that programs that include both provide the greatest results, rather than programs that are exclusive of one or the other (Dudley, et al 1991; Colliander and Tesch 1990; Godard, et al 1998). Alternatively, some studies have shown that an increase in peak torque in a concentric/eccentric exercise is greater after training with eccentric-only contractions (Higbie, et al 1996). These seemingly contradictive characteristics of eccentric contractions can be attributed to the following characteristics:

1. Cross-Bridge Activity: The high amount of stresses associate with eccentric training may actually lead to a mechanical disruption of the chemical actin/myosin bond in contrast to the systematic binding of ATP. Because there are less total number of contractile proteins during eccentric movements, as well as the amount of overlapping among sarcomeres, the maximum force that each sarcomere can exert varies along the length of a muscle. Therefore, each sarcomere is stretched and then popped as it reaches its stress limit during the lengthening of a muscle, that is, the eccentric motion (Morgan 1990; Morgan and Allen 1999).

2. Motor Unit Activity: Synchronization among motor units is increased during eccentric movements, and the proportion of common input to pairs of motor units is greater as well (Semmler, et al 2000).

3. Maximality of Activation: Muscle force is greater during a voluntary eccentric phase; however, EMG is substantially less than during concentric. This implies that an individual is unable to maximally activate a muscle during an eccentric phase (Higbie, et al 1996; Nakazawa, et al 1993; Kellis and Baltzopoulos 1998; Pasquet, et al 2000; Tesch, et al 1990; Webber and Kriellaars 1997; Westing, et al 1991).

4. Hypertrophy: Eccentric movements may be a more effective stimulus for hypertrophy, which might be mediated by a differential control (transcription verses translation) of protein synthesis (Booth and Baldwin 1996; Williams and Neufer 1996; Wong and Booth 1990).

We can see by this research that an effective training method could be developed as followed: In order to facilitate intracellular fluid depletion, total volume is more important than volume per set. In a concentric/eccentric movement, the load should be about 80% 1RM, and 60-80 total reps per body part. Remember, we are not going for complete and total failure of the muscle tissue.

After this, it is necessary to condition the body to increase the levels of intracellular fluid storage by increasing the demand of these substrates, as mentioned before. This is done with an eccentric-only phase; the load for this segment should be about 100-140% 1RM, and reps should stay between 3-5 reps per set. This is why that a training regimen similar to the "Hell Raiser" split set training with forced negatives can be an effective hypertrophy program.

This type of training, however, can be very intense, and serious injury can result if it is not done properly by an experienced lifter with a coach or a reliable training partner present. Also, proper diet and nutrition is of vital importance if an athlete is to increase and maintain the levels of the intracellular substrates, thereby increasing and maintaining the size of the sarcomeres.

100jan
02-17-10, 9:23 pm
A lot of useful information in this thread rev, great researches, thanks!

rev8ball
02-18-10, 1:03 pm
A lot of useful information in this thread rev, great researches, thanks!

Thanks, bro. Hopefully more to come very soon......

Beowulf
02-18-10, 1:08 pm
Okay, so with the NSCA National Conference last week, I got delayed posting this. But here it is.

I did a research project this past Spring investigating if an Essential Amino Acid (EAA) and Carbohydrate (CHO) product (EAA Ntiro in particular) could extend the time to muscular fatigue in an anaerobic exercise, namely, the deadlift.

Here is the Discussion and Practical Application of the paper. If you really want to read all of the scientific gobbely-goop, the link to the full article is at the bottom. Have fun!

Discussion

The aim of this investigation was to examine if the effects of a CHO and EAA blend consumed prior to an exercise regimen would increase the time to observing the biomechanical qualities indicative of the muscular fatigue characteristics of anaerobic exercise by increasing skeletal muscle levels of glycogen. Several studies have reported on the successful effects of a CHO and EAA supplement’s effect on muscular fatigue for an anaerobic resistance exercise, and this study is in agreement with those (1, 5, 6, 10, 12, 23). Yet, application to a specific multi-joint, compound movement like the deadlift is not quite as common, though a strong connection between anaerobic exercise and multi-joint movements has been established (22). The results of this study, therefore, demonstrate that this may be the case; specifically, supplementing nutritionally with 35 g of CHO and 6 g of EAA may increase the time to muscular fatigue during a multi-joint exercise in an anaerobic environment.

An increased Force production for P1 in the tenth repetition in the second trial demonstrates the possible success of the treatment. Muscles will display an increase in the biomechanical signs of muscle fatigue as the exercise time increases, including Force (13, 17, 25). These signs will begin to increase at a later point in the exercise as the overall time to fatigue extends. Therefore, increasing the number of repetitions of where Force decreases from ten to fifteen will reflect the increase in time to failure. Consequently, this shifts the points in time when the signs of fatigue begin to manifest.

The number of repetitions completed by the participants before muscular failure in the pre-intervention test is in agreement with, and is within, established norms, that is, 8-12 repetitions with an 80% 1RM load (24). However, the increase to fifteen repetitions that P1 accomplished is noteworthy, even though the mean difference between the participants was only 1.5. Heavy, complex, multi-joint movements like the deadlift tend to produce muscle exhaustion relatively quickly, as mentioned above. This is why percentages of 1RM greater than 80% show a rapid decrease in the number of repetitions (24). Therefore, what was accomplished with these trials may be important since this range was extended.

The increase in Power in P1 is an obvious consequence of the increase in Force, particularly with this exercise because Distance and Time stay relatively constant. Consequently, as the Force increases, Power will increase as well.

P1 showed a marked increase in the acceleration of the bar between pre and post tests. However, the small mean difference between the participants may be apparent for many of the same reasons as cited above regarding the number of repetitions. The deadlift is intended as a strength exercise, that is, heavy weights are needed to stimulate fast twitch fibers, and it is expected to be a slow movement. Therefore, what may at first seem like a small increase may actually be significant.

Overall, P2 maintained her performance from pre-intervention to post-intervention testing. This correlates to the established models for this type of activity, as mentioned before. However, P1 saw a marked increase in his performance, as is obvious with his collected data. This current investigation may support the aforementioned studies, as well as extending their validity to this particular type of exercise, and possibly expanding its relevance. Further investigations regarding these outcomes should be conducted, broadening the sample size to exhibit statistical significance.

Practical Application

Anaerobic applications dominate modern sporting activities. The strength and conditioning programs that help improve these athletes are anaerobic as well. However, the anaerobic states that these programs possess demonstrate short validity, and must be kept to limited time periods. Continuing past these time restraints can only assure a decrease in exercise proficiency and effectiveness, and increase the possibility of injury. Increasing the time to muscular fatigue with these exercises can broaden their application by allowing longer and more intense use of the movements. This will also demonstrate a decrease in the risk of injury from these programs by increasing the maintenance of proper form for the duration of the exercise.

http://dominateyourgame.com/cho.htm

Interesting, I may have to look into EAA Nitro. I wonder what the outcome would be like using this during the workout?

rev8ball
02-18-10, 1:21 pm
Interesting, I may have to look into EAA Nitro. I wonder what the outcome would be like using this during the workout?

It works very well. I personally use a carb/EEA combo during my workout, as do all of my athletes. Check out my post #25 in this thread regarding it.

Mr. Dead
02-18-10, 1:23 pm
Great stuff, in here!!!

ghost
02-18-10, 1:24 pm
Rev, you have some of the most indepth research I have seen in a long time, Glad to see people like you who are living this daily backing it up with Science.

rev8ball
02-18-10, 1:33 pm
Thanks, bros.
Ultimately, I'm just a 255 lbs nerd.....

Mr. Dead
02-18-10, 1:36 pm
Thanks, bros.
Ultimately, I'm just a 255 lbs nerd.....

*LOL* I'm a bit of a nerd, as well... But, 180 lbs and shrinking...

Beach91
02-18-10, 1:45 pm
Thanks for all the info in her Rev, I m definitely subbed, Have you studied or seen studies that suggest "a best way" to take beta alanine, ive heard of guys taking 2 grams a serving several times a day, and then I have heard of guys take 3-5 grms both pre and post workout. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on a recommended dosing scheme

rev8ball
02-18-10, 2:01 pm
Thanks for all the info in her Rev, I m definitely subbed, Have you studied or seen studies that suggest "a best way" to take beta alanine, ive heard of guys taking 2 grams a serving several times a day, and then I have heard of guys take 3-5 grms both pre and post workout. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on a recommended dosing scheme

The research for my thesis involves beta-Alanine, and I've posted some of it here (post #2 in this thread). Past studies have shown a consumption of 4-6g per day, with significant results starting in about 4 weeks. However, timing was never really a factor, until recently. There are currently several studies being done around the country dealing with this, and, hopefully soon, I will be able to post the findings.

Beach91
02-18-10, 5:47 pm
Thanks REv, I am forver a follower in your church, Now preach on buddy!

Ive used Beta alanine for the past two years and simply love it, just looking for a standard dosing protocol and will wait till u post something on it

thanks for all the info on this thread, its definitely a must read

100jan
02-18-10, 7:28 pm
Thanks, bro. Hopefully more to come very soon......

Looking forward, can't wait!

Rage
02-18-10, 8:16 pm
I just realized that I never posted my review of Rage's Hell Raiser training regimen here in my research thread. So, for ease of access and reference, here it is:

Although Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and Myofibrillar hypertrophy can never be completely separated, an individual can focus training on one over another. The theory behind Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is that by forcing the muscle fibers to exert force to a certain level of exhaustion, it conditions the body to compel the muscles to increase the storage of necessary nutrients in order to maintain the required levels of energy to sustain the needed levels of force. Increases in stored levels of glycogen, ATP, Calcium, CHOs, CP, etc., lends to the increase in the size of the Sarcomere, without a corresponding increase in contractile proteins. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy also alters the osmotic gradient across the cell, that is, fluid flows into the cell to reestablish it. In turn, the cells swell, thereby increasing total muscle size.

One of the most productive means to induce Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is eccentric training. It is known that if the same force is exerted during the concentric phase of the lift as in the eccentric phase, fewer muscle fibers are activated while the muscle lengthens. Because of this, eccentric contractions allow greater overall force production in addition to less fiber recruitment, which means the fibers are stressed more.

Because of this difference in fiber activation and utilization, a typical pyramid loading method may not be the most effective in the development of muscle. The torque generated by the eccentric load is greater than during the concentric contraction. In regards to typical resistance training, both types of contractions are involved, and, therefore, the concentric contraction limits the performance of the muscle; hence the amount of load that can be used is also limited. Similarly, since the intensity of exercise is reliant on the magnitude of the load relative to maximum capabilities, it is logical to assume that the concentric phase is the variable that experiences the greater stress, and therefore the greater adaptation (Hortobagyi and Katch 1990).

Eccentric contractions are generally believed to induce greater gains by providing a greater training stimulus because there are greater forces associated with them. This fact may lead someone to believe that training eccentrically exclusively would be the best choice for the best gains. This, however, is not the total case. The size of the force relative to the maximum is what determines training stimulus, not the absolute force. Many studies show that concentric-only and eccentric-only programs yield similar gains in strength and work capacity. It seems that programs that include both provide the greatest results, rather than programs that are exclusive of one or the other (Dudley, et al 1991; Colliander and Tesch 1990; Godard, et al 1998). Alternatively, some studies have shown that an increase in peak torque in a concentric/eccentric exercise is greater after training with eccentric-only contractions (Higbie, et al 1996). These seemingly contradictive characteristics of eccentric contractions can be attributed to the following characteristics:

1. Cross-Bridge Activity: The high amount of stresses associate with eccentric training may actually lead to a mechanical disruption of the chemical actin/myosin bond in contrast to the systematic binding of ATP. Because there are less total number of contractile proteins during eccentric movements, as well as the amount of overlapping among sarcomeres, the maximum force that each sarcomere can exert varies along the length of a muscle. Therefore, each sarcomere is stretched and then popped as it reaches its stress limit during the lengthening of a muscle, that is, the eccentric motion (Morgan 1990; Morgan and Allen 1999).

2. Motor Unit Activity: Synchronization among motor units is increased during eccentric movements, and the proportion of common input to pairs of motor units is greater as well (Semmler, et al 2000).

3. Maximality of Activation: Muscle force is greater during a voluntary eccentric phase; however, EMG is substantially less than during concentric. This implies that an individual is unable to maximally activate a muscle during an eccentric phase (Higbie, et al 1996; Nakazawa, et al 1993; Kellis and Baltzopoulos 1998; Pasquet, et al 2000; Tesch, et al 1990; Webber and Kriellaars 1997; Westing, et al 1991).

4. Hypertrophy: Eccentric movements may be a more effective stimulus for hypertrophy, which might be mediated by a differential control (transcription verses translation) of protein synthesis (Booth and Baldwin 1996; Williams and Neufer 1996; Wong and Booth 1990).

We can see by this research that an effective training method could be developed as followed: In order to facilitate intracellular fluid depletion, total volume is more important than volume per set. In a concentric/eccentric movement, the load should be about 80% 1RM, and 60-80 total reps per body part. Remember, we are not going for complete and total failure of the muscle tissue.

After this, it is necessary to condition the body to increase the levels of intracellular fluid storage by increasing the demand of these substrates, as mentioned before. This is done with an eccentric-only phase; the load for this segment should be about 100-140% 1RM, and reps should stay between 3-5 reps per set. This is why that a training regimen similar to the "Hell Raiser" split set training with forced negatives can be an effective hypertrophy program.

This type of training, however, can be very intense, and serious injury can result if it is not done properly by an experienced lifter with a coach or a reliable training partner present. Also, proper diet and nutrition is of vital importance if an athlete is to increase and maintain the levels of the intracellular substrates, thereby increasing and maintaining the size of the sarcomeres.

You are the man brother...no one can say it better.

Bob
02-19-10, 9:03 am
The research for my thesis involves beta-Alanine, and I've posted some of it here (post #2 in this thread). Past studies have shown a consumption of 4-6g per day, with significant results starting in about 4 weeks. However, timing was never really a factor, until recently. There are currently several studies being done around the country dealing with this, and, hopefully soon, I will be able to post the findings.

This sounds very interesting. What is the best timing for beta alanine?

rev8ball
05-17-10, 5:37 pm
I was reading through my latest issue of the NSCA’s Strength and Conditioning Journal. What really makes it interesting is that it is a special edition for Sports Nutrition, written and edited by some heavy-hitters in the industry. Soooooo, as a resource for my fellow Animal’s, I will post here my reviews of a number of topics that are covered in the Journal. Some things we already know, but now have even more (and recent) support; but also some new twists to a few existing products.

Let’s start with Caffeine:

1. It has been shown to be more effective when combined with other thermogenic compounds.
2. Increase in time to fatigue with endurance activities is due to enhanced fat oxidation
3. Can also increase volume of training
4. However, caffeine has shown no effect on power performance

rev8ball
05-17-10, 5:38 pm
On to a personal favorite of mine, beta-Alanine:

1. Effectiveness achieved by consuming 0.8g – 1.6g every three hours, until desired daily dosage is attained (about 3 – 6.5g per day). This will allow proper utilization with a much lower incidence of parethesia.

2. Combining Creatine Monohydrate with beta-Alanine may extend the effectiveness of both products.
a. Increase in phosphocreatine decreases muscles’ reliance on glycolysis, thereby decreasing the amount lactic acid produced, in turn decreasing the amount of hydrogen ions (what carnosine buffers).
b. Creatine Monohydrate may function as a free radical scavenger, thereby decreasing carnosine’s role in this process, and allowing it to function more as a buffer.
c. Creatine may help maintain pH.

3. 4-10 weeks of use may be needed for carnosine levels to reach optimum levels. Therefore, to benefit the most for an athletic competition, an athlete should start using a minimum of 4 weeks out, but better if that time is tripled. Also, carnosine levels may stay elevated for up to 9 weeks with out supplementation.

rev8ball
05-17-10, 5:40 pm
Carbohydrates:

1. During exercise, glucose uptake and oxidation peaks and plateaus, even with increased intake. However, combining glucose with other CHO types may increase higher oxidation rates.

2. Post workout, there is an enhanced uptake of CHOs due to gluT4 translocation (vs. insulin) when they are consumed within 30 minutes. If delayed by only 2 hours, glycogen recovery can decrease by as much as 50%.

3. CHO + Protein post exercise: 0.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight with CHOs immediately post exercise, and then every 2 hours, for up to 6 hours post.

I found interesting some findings of the use of CHOs for other types of athletes, and wanted to include these by way of comparison to what physique athletes may be used to.

For aggressively training athletes, with an ultra high level of intensity, daily competitions, etc:

1. 6 – 10 g of CHOs per kg of body weight per day

2. 3 – 4 hours prior to exercise: 1 – 2g/kg of BW (low in fat, low in fiber)

3. During exercise: 30g – 60g per hour of performance (approx 600 – 1200 mL of 6% – 8% CHO/hour)

4. Post exercise: Immediately – 1.5g/kg of BW, then 1.2g’kg of BW every 30 minutes for up to 5 hours.

smoothballer
05-17-10, 10:08 pm
Very cool and informative write-ups!

Mr. Dead
05-17-10, 10:10 pm
Solid info!!!, and I know the research is very sound, and grounded...

J-Dawg
05-18-10, 10:28 am
Great updates Rev. All solid ergogenics--caffeine, BA/creatine & carbs.

rev8ball
05-18-10, 10:55 am
Thanks, bros.

I'm finishing a write-up for EAAs. Should be posting in the next day or so.

Mattman33
05-18-10, 11:19 am
Thanks, bros.

awesome. thanks for the reviews and the updates.

Mr. Dead
07-26-10, 3:43 pm
Thanks, bros.

*Still waiting...*

rev8ball
07-26-10, 4:36 pm
*Still waiting...*

Doh!

I had to put it aside for a bit due to some other pressing research that I had to get done. I should have it posted by the end of the month....

Mr. Dead
07-26-10, 5:35 pm
Doh!

I had to put it aside for a bit due to some other pressing research (HRT...) that I had to get done. I should have it posted by the end of the month....

*Fixed...* All right... But, at least ya know I'm waiting... *LOL*

rev8ball
07-27-10, 11:18 am
*Fixed...* All right... But, at least ya know I'm waiting... *LOL*

Thanks, bro.

HRT is one, plus a few others. Got lots in the works right now......

Mr. Dead
07-27-10, 11:37 am
Thanks, bro.

HRT is one, plus a few others. Got lots in the works right now......

Nice!!!

Hercules
07-27-10, 2:15 pm
Doh!

I had to put it aside for a bit due to some other pressing research that I had to get done. I should have it posted by the end of the month....

I'd be interested in ANY research you may be doing. I'm a science nerd; research is fun for guys like me... :)

rev8ball
07-28-10, 3:19 pm
Nice!!!

I'd be interested in ANY research you may be doing. I'm a science nerd; research is fun for guys like me... :)

I got some MAJOR, and I mean HUGE, stuff coming down the pipe... stuff that could impact the entire sport science industry. I am trying to get the just of it down by the O, so hopefully, that will happen. We'll see...

To borrow UR's quote, "Stay Tuned...."

Mr. Dead
08-18-10, 11:42 am
I got some MAJOR, and I mean HUGE, stuff coming down the pipe... stuff that could impact the entire sport science industry. I am trying to get the just of it down by the O, so hopefully, that will happen. We'll see...

To borrow UR's quote, "Stay Tuned...."

Uhm... *Still tuned...*

rev8ball
08-18-10, 1:02 pm
Uhm... *Still tuned...*

Good....

Mr. Dead
08-18-10, 1:18 pm
Good....

I can't help it... I'm a bit of a "Geek", when it comes to this stuff... *LOL*

Hercules
08-18-10, 1:24 pm

Same here. I'm totally a Science nerd...

rev8ball
08-18-10, 1:37 pm

Same here. I'm totally a Science nerd...

LOL, nothing wrong with that.... That's why the ladies love us....

Mr. Dead
08-18-10, 1:51 pm
LOL, nothing wrong with that.... That's why the ladies love us....

Brains + Brawn = Total Package...

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 1:11 pm
*Still waiting...*

Juggernaut_Jones
09-15-10, 2:15 pm
Good stuff Rev!

Tell me guys– I saw the article mentioning EAA, what is behind nitro that makes it do what it does?

Mr. Dead
02-18-11, 12:23 pm
*Still waiting...*

*Has now forgotten what it was, that he was waiting for...* *LOL*

rev8ball
02-18-11, 12:28 pm
*Has now forgotten what it was, that he was waiting for...* *LOL*

I haven't.... don't worry, D, I got your back!

Mr. Dead
02-18-11, 12:30 pm
I haven't.... don't worry, D, I got your back!

*LOL* Thanks... Can't wait...!!!

rev8ball
02-18-11, 12:57 pm
*LOL* Thanks... Can't wait...!!!

Things got crazy with me opening my new facility. On the good side, this bigger place will allow me a better ability for research. On the bad side, with the move, opening, etc., it has pushed a lot of my current research to the back burner unitl things settle down.

Mr. Dead
02-18-11, 1:02 pm
Things got crazy with me opening my new facility. On the good side, this bigger place will allow me a better ability for research. On the bad side, with the move, opening, etc., it has pushed a lot of my current research to the back burner unitl things settle down.

Change, evolution, and progress stop for no one...

Survivor831
02-18-11, 2:45 pm
Why am I just now finding this thread..........Awesome stuff!

rev8ball
02-18-11, 3:46 pm
Why am I just now finding this thread..........Awesome stuff!

Thanks, bro. Lots of fun stuff in here.

Been kinda slow being active in here due to the situation mentioned above, but it will pick up. Let me know if you have any questions....

Survivor831
02-18-11, 5:03 pm
Thanks, bro. Lots of fun stuff in here.

Been kinda slow being active in here due to the situation mentioned above, but it will pick up. Let me know if you have any questions....

Absolutely........Good Luck with everything

rev8ball
03-25-11, 5:53 pm
Just came out 3 days ago, and only the abstract is available, but it is definitely sick-ass!

Analysis of the efficacy, safety, and regulatory status of novel forms of creatine.
Jäger R, Purpura M, Shao A, Inoue T, Kreider RB.

Increnovo LLC, 2138 E Lafayette Pl, Milwaukee, WI, 53202, USA.

Abstract
Creatine has become one of the most popular dietary supplements in the sports nutrition market. The form of creatine that has been most extensively studied and commonly used in dietary supplements is creatine monohydrate (CM). Studies have consistently indicated that CM supplementation increases muscle creatine and phosphocreatine concentrations by approximately 15-40%, enhances anaerobic exercise capacity, and increases training volume leading to greater gains in strength, power, and muscle mass. A number of potential therapeutic benefits have also been suggested in various clinical populations. Studies have indicated that CM is not degraded during normal digestion and that nearly 99% of orally ingested CM is either taken up by muscle or excreted in urine. Further, no medically significant side effects have been reported in literature. Nevertheless, supplement manufacturers have continually introduced newer forms of creatine into the marketplace. These newer forms have been purported to have better physical and chemical properties, bioavailability, efficacy, and/or safety profiles than CM. However, there is little to no evidence that any of the newer forms of creatine are more effective and/or safer than CM whether ingested alone and/or in combination with other nutrients. In addition, whereas the safety, efficacy, and regulatory status of CM is clearly defined in almost all global markets; the safety, efficacy, and regulatory status of other forms of creatine present in today's marketplace as a dietary or food supplement is less clear.

PMID: 21424716

Mr. Dead
03-25-11, 6:02 pm
Great stuff, there, Rev...!!! Kind of figured this... But, nice to know that science can validate it...!!!

J-Dawg
04-01-11, 10:26 am
Just came out 3 days ago, and only the abstract is available, but it is definitely sick-ass!

Analysis of the efficacy, safety, and regulatory status of novel forms of creatine.
Jäger R, Purpura M, Shao A, Inoue T, Kreider RB.

Increnovo LLC, 2138 E Lafayette Pl, Milwaukee, WI, 53202, USA.

Abstract
Creatine has become one of the most popular dietary supplements in the sports nutrition market. The form of creatine that has been most extensively studied and commonly used in dietary supplements is creatine monohydrate (CM). Studies have consistently indicated that CM supplementation increases muscle creatine and phosphocreatine concentrations by approximately 15-40%, enhances anaerobic exercise capacity, and increases training volume leading to greater gains in strength, power, and muscle mass. A number of potential therapeutic benefits have also been suggested in various clinical populations. Studies have indicated that CM is not degraded during normal digestion and that nearly 99% of orally ingested CM is either taken up by muscle or excreted in urine. Further, no medically significant side effects have been reported in literature. Nevertheless, supplement manufacturers have continually introduced newer forms of creatine into the marketplace. These newer forms have been purported to have better physical and chemical properties, bioavailability, efficacy, and/or safety profiles than CM. However, there is little to no evidence that any of the newer forms of creatine are more effective and/or safer than CM whether ingested alone and/or in combination with other nutrients. In addition, whereas the safety, efficacy, and regulatory status of CM is clearly defined in almost all global markets; the safety, efficacy, and regulatory status of other forms of creatine present in today's marketplace as a dietary or food supplement is less clear.

PMID: 21424716

Can't beat good ol' creatine monohydrate. Simple, but proven so effective study after study.

Bruiser
04-01-11, 11:23 am
I'm sure a lot of people are like me and when it comes to supplements, and cut their teeth on creatine monohydrate. Everytime another article comes out about how great it is, I feel like someone just told me one of my kids is the best student in their class! (which they are of course)

Beach91
04-02-11, 7:03 pm
Bump for some Beta Alanine info - Recommended dosage?

rev8ball
04-04-11, 12:47 pm
Bump for some Beta Alanine info - Recommended dosage?

Unfortunately, nothing of consequence has really changed over the last two years. The majority of the studies still last about 4-6 weeks, and the standing doages still stand at 4-6g/day. However, this daily dose can be broken up throughout the day without affecting it's effectiveness, while at the same time decreasing the circumstances of parathesis ("tingling" of the skin); though it is still suggested that one of the dosages be taken pre-workout.

Theonidus
06-09-11, 12:00 pm
As cheesy at the title may be, it's true. Most of the features on the FORVM (such as trying to watch videos, linking to other sites, etc) are blocked while I'm at work, but I'm loving the reads. I like to think of myself as a geek/nerd, and the more I learn the more excited I get about putting this knowledge into practice.
Thanks, Rev. Definitely subbing in on this one.

rev8ball
06-09-11, 12:42 pm
As cheesy at the title may be, it's true. Most of the features on the FORVM (such as trying to watch videos, linking to other sites, etc) are blocked while I'm at work, but I'm loving the reads. I like to think of myself as a geek/nerd, and the more I learn the more excited I get about putting this knowledge into practice.
Thanks, Rev. Definitely subbing in on this one.

Not a prob, bro, glad you're enjoying.

Stay tuned, though - got a few things coming up in the next few months.....

RhinoJoe
06-09-11, 1:45 pm
I read through your stuff and am really liking what you've got to say. Good info.

Got a question though. Being the old guy that I am, one of the issues I'm facing is lower T levels. I haven't been tested, but I can tell cause it's hard to get rid of the fat at my beltline, I get fatigued easily and the muscles just don't seem to respond the way they used to to hard training. So my question is: What does good science show is the best way (other than a patch or other scrip) to get the T levels close to where they should be for me to get the response I need? I've tried tribulus and some other vitamin store complexes with little or no effect other than some zits. I don't wanna go balls out and jack my T levels through the roof, though, either. I'm enough of an ass without that. I just wanna try to bring em up to the point where all the hard work I do in the gym, shows a little better.

I've done some research and everything seems to point me to a patch. I don't wanna do that.

Any thoughts?

rev8ball
06-09-11, 2:58 pm
I read through your stuff and am really liking what you've got to say. Good info.

Got a question though. Being the old guy that I am, one of the issues I'm facing is lower T levels. I haven't been tested, but I can tell cause it's hard to get rid of the fat at my beltline, I get fatigued easily and the muscles just don't seem to respond the way they used to to hard training. So my question is: What does good science show is the best way (other than a patch or other scrip) to get the T levels close to where they should be for me to get the response I need? I've tried tribulus and some other vitamin store complexes with little or no effect other than some zits. I don't wanna go balls out and jack my T levels through the roof, though, either. I'm enough of an ass without that. I just wanna try to bring em up to the point where all the hard work I do in the gym, shows a little better.

I've done some research and everything seems to point me to a patch. I don't wanna do that.

Any thoughts?

It's not impossible, just more difficult as we get older.

I'm sure you know of the basics of testosterone manipulation using resistance training: Large muscle group, compound exercises, >85% 1RM, etc.

In regards to dietary needs: adequate kCals - protein is obvious, but there has been some emerging research showing how CHOs can help maintain T levels; and fats, included saturated, needed for hormone production.

Supplement-wise:

ZMA shows promise, not so much by elevating T by itself, but by providing the body the building blocks (that are generally depleted due to intense training) needed to increase T production as well as decrease T suppression.

With Universal, I have heard good things about Natural Sterol Complex. I have used Animal Stak with decent results, esp when I stack it with ZMA. Animal Test is supposedly off the hook, though I've never tried it personally. The only issues with these are that research on the some ingredients in these products is limited, so most of the pros and cons are anecdotal. However, as members of this forum know that I call it like I see it: if I think it's good, then I'll say so; if not, I'll call it crap. And I can't really say that about any of the above products.

I would try some of this before resorting to an Rx. Even my own physician echos my opinion.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if I need to clarify anything.

Best of luck.....

RhinoJoe
06-09-11, 6:11 pm
It's not impossible, just more difficult as we get older.

I'm sure you know of the basics of testosterone manipulation using resistance training: Large muscle group, compound exercises, >85% 1RM, etc.

In regards to dietary needs: adequate kCals - protein is obvious, but there has been some emerging research showing how CHOs can help maintain T levels; and fats, included saturated, needed for hormone production.

Supplement-wise:

ZMA shows promise, not so much by elevating T by itself, but by providing the body the building blocks (that are generally depleted due to intense training) needed to increase T production as well as decrease T suppression.

With Universal, I have heard good things about Natural Sterol Complex. I have used Animal Stak with decent results, esp when I stack it with ZMA. Animal Test is supposedly off the hook, though I've never tried it personally. The only issues with these are that research on the some ingredients in these products is limited, so most of the pros and cons are anecdotal. However, as members of this forum know that I call it like I see it: if I think it's good, then I'll say so; if not, I'll call it crap. And I can't really say that about any of the above products.

I would try some of this before resorting to an Rx. Even my own physician echos my opinion.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if I need to clarify anything.

Best of luck.....

Thanks for the advice.

I'm doing HRT, so I think I'm covered in the workout department.

And, I'm already taking a nighttime ZMA/GABA blend, so I think I'm ok there. Thinking I may try Animal Test, though if it makes me more of an ass, it's your fault!

Keep ya posted!

Appollonian
06-09-11, 6:34 pm
I alway like when people back up their words with some research... I'm staying tuned.

NJC_Manhattan
06-09-11, 11:12 pm
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

Boom

RhinoJoe
06-17-11, 1:03 pm
Just as an update, I decided to take Animal Stak instead of the Test at this time. been on it a week and starting to feel like my old self again. Mood has definitely improved and I'm sleeping better. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I'm really hoping to see some serious changes in the mass department.

rev8ball
06-17-11, 1:18 pm
Just as an update, I decided to take Animal Stak instead of the Test at this time. been on it a week and starting to feel like my old self again. Mood has definitely improved and I'm sleeping better. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I'm really hoping to see some serious changes in the mass department.

Good way to start.
That's awesome. From personal experience, I started to see the most improvements with Stak by my third week, and going into my first week of the second cycle was great.....

rev8ball
06-27-11, 10:40 am
Spent the last several days at the International Society of Sports Nutrition's (ISSN) annual conference out here in LV. Got lots of great new research and info to talk about, so, as I get everything sorted out, be sure to check in on this thread over the next few days.......

Survivor831
06-27-11, 11:05 am
Spent the last several days at the International Society of Sports Nutrition's (ISSN) annual conference out here in LV. Got lots of great new research and info to talk about, so, as I get everything sorted out, be sure to check in on this thread over the next few days.......

Excellent . Knowledge is power my friend and I am ready to absorb it all. Looking forward to it

rev8ball
06-27-11, 8:02 pm
ISSN Conference
Friday June 24, 2011

Creatine Roundtable
Richard Kreider, PhD; Dan Gwartney, MD; Darryn Willoughby, PhD; Roger Harris, PhD

- To load, 20g per day for 5-10 days, then 5g - 10g per day; this is for use in a rapid performance atmosphere. However, 5g - 10g per day without loading will attain same levels as loading within 30 days

- Rapid absorption may not be best. Increased uptake may also increase output through urine, thereby not allowing sufficient absorption

- Smaller doses may actually increase more complete absorption

- Also, splitting into multiple small doses may increase efficient retention

- Now believed that creatine monohydrate (CM) consumed this way may allow an almost 100% absorption, contrary to older studies

- CM shows most consistent absorption and results, versus other types

- CM may actually increase muscle hypertrophy
...Maybe by affecting satellite cells
...Maybe by affecting myogenic regulatory factors
...Or maybe both

- Creatine Ethyl Ester (CEE)
...Small amount survives low pH of stomach intact
...What does survive shows a rapid breakdown to creatinine
...Could actually compete with creatine phosphate, thereby inhibiting muscle function

- Other health benefits of CM
...Multiple types of neurological support
...Improve elderly cognition
...Improve dementia
...Improve depression
...Improve Traumatic Brain Injury recovery
...Improve fetus/newborn brain function when born from total vegan mothers

Flash419
06-27-11, 8:09 pm
Interesting info on the Creatine... I've honestly never found it to be that effective for me.. but maybe I'll give it another try.

What are your thoughts on intake? I have a tub of Creatine Mono... is taking it with a suger / non acidic drink stil the prefered method? Grape juice? Apple juice??

Thanks..

rev8ball
06-27-11, 8:20 pm
Interesting info on the Creatine... I've honestly never found it to be that effective for me.. but maybe I'll give it another try.

What are your thoughts on intake? I have a tub of Creatine Mono... is taking it with a suger / non acidic drink stil the prefered method? Grape juice? Apple juice??

Thanks..

I'd give it shot. As the MD on the panel said, it seems more and more to be a type of supplement that everyone should take a few grams of everyday, almost in the same way we comsume a multi.

According to the panel, what to take it with doesn't seem to matter anymore, except for getting a too rapid intake (as mentioned above).

Flash419
06-27-11, 8:42 pm
I'd give it shot. As the MD on the panel said, it seems more and more to be a type of supplement that everyone should take a few grams of everyday, almost in the same way we comsume a multi.

According to the panel, what to take it with doesn't seem to matter anymore, except for getting a too rapid intake (as mentioned above).

Thanks... I'll give it a shot..

Firedrake
08-11-11, 9:44 pm
I just saw the creatine findings -- interesting. I may alter the way I take it.

rev8ball
10-14-11, 1:57 pm
After there were some discussions in another thread about DAA, I was asked if I knew any research regarding it. I attended an ISSN conference this past summer here in LV, where they discussed it, among other possible other T boosters, in one of the lectures. Here is a summary:

D-Aspartic Acid
• Positively impacted sex hormones in dose ranging proof of concept study (US)
• TT increased by 20 - 64% by day 15
• T increased by 13- 57% by day 31
• Free- T increased by ~83% by day 31
• Inverse relationship for Estradiol; LH tended to increase
• D-Aspartic acid containing (centric) product.
• Larger confirmatory RDBCT study underway
The FASEB Journal. 2011;25:29.6

• 23 men DAA vs. 20 placebo for 12 days
• Animal (rats) also studied to determine mechanism of action
• In men, enhancement of LH and T
• In rats, NA-DAA ↑release & synthesis of LH via cGMP
• In testes ↑synthesis & release of T via cAMP
• DAA is synthesized in the pituitary & testes
• Pituitary & testes “trap” DAA from hexogen or endogen sources.
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2009;27:7:120

Other supplements discussed were:
• Vitamin D
• Lepidium meyenii (Maca)
• Magnesium
• Tri-substututed benzoflavone (BZF) moeity from
Passiflora incarnata Linn
• Prunella vulgaris
• Massularia acuminata Stem
• L-carnitine L-tartrate
• Calcium D-glucarate

Douglas S. Kalman PhD, RD, FISSN
ISSN National Conference 2011, Las Vegas, NV

Hope that helps......

Mr. Dead
10-14-11, 2:15 pm
rev... Did they discuss dosages...???

RhinoJoe
10-14-11, 2:25 pm
Ok...cool. I'm on my second cycle of Animal Test. Whaddya think about switching to something containing DAA next cycle?

rev8ball
10-14-11, 2:36 pm
rev... Did they discuss dosages...???

They didn't really discuss in too much details about dosage, but the going amount from what I have seen is 3g/day, of course, that will most likely change as the rest of these studies begin to conclude.

Ok...cool. I'm on my second cycle of Animal Test. Whaddya think about switching to something containing DAA next cycle?

How is the Test going for you?

I would hold off a bit on the DAA for right now and wait for some more literature to come in from the research first (theraputic dose, timing, etc.). Sucks to waste money if something can be done more effectively.

RhinoJoe
10-14-11, 11:09 pm
Test is going well. Had to get through the first cycle before anything happened, but then..BAM! it kicked in! Liking it so far. I'm also doing Animal Rage stacked with Storm pre, so I'm really getting decent workouts. I'm also eating a lot. The weights are all up and so's mine. Shirts are starting to get smaller, in a good way. Doing HRT, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I'll give this stack another month or so and see what happens.

rev8ball
10-15-11, 2:52 pm
Test is going well. Had to get through the first cycle before anything happened, but then..BAM! it kicked in! Liking it so far. I'm also doing Animal Rage stacked with Storm pre, so I'm really getting decent workouts. I'm also eating a lot. The weights are all up and so's mine. Shirts are starting to get smaller, in a good way. Doing HRT, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I'll give this stack another month or so and see what happens.

That's awesome, and those are some great combos. Glad to hear everything is going up, that way you'll have some room for Christmas dinner....lol

rev8ball
10-21-11, 3:19 pm
I will be presenting a lecture at an NSCA conference in San Francisco on 11/12, and the topic is going to be on Concussions. In the process of completing the literature, my RD forwarded this article to me which was just posted today by the sport nutrition guru, Dr Jose Antonio. It discusses a study done on admisitrating creatine to kids with a TBI. I find it absolutely amazing, particularly the dosage size:

http://sportsnutritioninsider.insidefitnessmag.com/2611/creatine-and-kids-brains

rev8ball
11-02-11, 12:26 pm
"...curcumin, which also gives the spice turmeric its trademark bright yellow colouring, can be used to suppress biological mechanisms that spark inflammation in tendon diseases."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110809083455.htm

Thought this was pretty sweet. Could hold some promise....

rev8ball
11-15-11, 12:42 pm
3-D mapping of muscles, nerves, arteries, etc., of the human body:
http://health.yahoo.net/3dbodymaps

Mr. Dead
11-15-11, 12:46 pm
Every time I pop my head in this thread, I come away with something new... Thanks...!!!

Sandman
11-15-11, 12:48 pm
3-D mapping of muscles, nerves, arteries, etc., of the human body:
http://health.yahoo.net/3dbodymaps

Thats some cool stuff.

rev8ball
11-15-11, 1:35 pm
Every time I pop my head in this thread, I come away with something new... Thanks...!!!

Not a prob. Trying to keep the bro science at bay........

Thats some cool stuff.

I thought it was pretty sweet. It has a ton of details and views - really nice.....

awayoflife
06-16-12, 10:24 am
I have a question for ya’ my man

What would be the difference between taking EAA immediately before w/o or sipping on it during your w/o? And would a BCAA product like Atomic 7 have similar effects as a EAA product?

rev8ball
06-16-12, 1:10 pm
I have a question for ya’ my man

What would be the difference between taking EAA immediately before w/o or sipping on it during your w/o? And would a BCAA product like Atomic 7 have similar effects as a EAA product?

The prime situation would be to take EAAs before, during, and after an intense workout (especially with some carbs). However, with EAAs being as expensive as they are, that can be tough.

The research shows that if you can only take EAAs one of those times, it seems to be the most beneficial pre workout. Protein and carbs will work during and post workout, just not as well.

Though Atomic 7 tastes great, I encourage my athletes to stick with EAAs, since they are all of the essential amino acids, inclusive of the BCAAs.

awayoflife
06-16-12, 6:46 pm
The prime situation would be to take EAAs before, during, and after an intense workout (especially with some carbs). However, with EAAs being as expensive as they are, that can be tough.

The research shows that if you can only take EAAs one of those times, it seems to be the most beneficial pre workout. Protein and carbs will work during and post workout, just not as well.

Though Atomic 7 tastes great, I encourage my athletes to stick with EAAs, since they are all of the essential amino acids, inclusive of the BCAAs.

And if I take a pre w/o supp like Animal Rage (powder) 15 minutes before I begin my training when would be the best time to take the EAA’s (also a powder form like EAA Stack or EAA Nitro)?
Will the EAA shake blunt in any way the effect of the Rage shot?

rev8ball
06-16-12, 11:38 pm
And if I take a pre w/o supp like Animal Rage (powder) 15 minutes before I begin my training when would be the best time to take the EAA’s (also a powder form like EAA Stack or EAA Nitro)?
Will the EAA shake blunt in any way the effect of the Rage shot?

EAAs should be taken 15 - 30 mins pre, so taking it together with something like Rage is not a problem.
And there are no negative interactions between EAAa and caffiene. In fact, there were a few studies done on products containing both.
Stack may be a bit more cost effective over Animal Nitro.

awayoflife
06-17-12, 5:28 am
Solid info bro!

Thanks a lot for the info, I will see what my budget will allow and if I can afford doing EAA’s pre and post I will! I also would test to see if it will impact Rage’s effect, I usually tend to see the effects lessened when I didn’t leave enough time between my last meal and Rage or if I take it with lots of water, I believe it is absorbed better in a shot form, even though some people mix it with other stuff with grate results. Also thinking of adding some extra glutamine to the post EAA shake.