PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to eggs??

Devoted 2 Iron
01-27-08, 12:14 am
Everywhere I read I see eggs as a trademark to every breakfast suggestion out there. Big problem is that Im allergic to em! What can I replace em with for breakfast and how much should I be chompin down?

MassMonster
01-27-08, 12:41 am
if your bulkin then alot... switch it wit oatmeal and a protein shake......or have steak for breakfast...lol

GRUNT
01-27-08, 12:44 am
go with a lean beef or chicken..you can make breakfast burritos with lean beef/chicken and throw some onions and peppers in there. Good way to get some carbs and proteins in. Throw some whey in your oats as well. Cottage cheese is good as well.

Preston
01-27-08, 1:17 am
Everywhere I read I see eggs as a trademark to every breakfast suggestion out there. Big problem is that Im allergic to em! What can I replace em with for breakfast and how much should I be chompin down?

Mass has a good point. What are your goals, and what do you do throughout your day? If you are a college student ( or high-school ) like myself, I am always mixing in 1 scoop of casein protein ( which is slow digesting ) because I'm theoretically doing nothing but starving my body for those long 3-4 hour classes. So there is no point for just drinking down a Whey Protein shake when your body is needing constant nutrition! As for the breakfast, it honestly depends on what your day has ahead of you. My days ( the weekend ) start off at 3:45 in the morning working till 2:45, in which those 11 hours I'm lifting 6,000lbs+ of grocery goods for Wal-Mart. I figure that within those hours of working I'll consume 3-4 protein shakes all containing 3 scoops of casein protein each. If you do heavy labor I would suggest using more casein than a whey protein isolate due to the casein protein taking longer to digest, therefore keeping your body feeding off it for quite some time! As for the steak in the morning, great idea, but who has the time to cook a steak in the morning? Theoretically you would do that the night before, right? Then again, all my meals are cooked Sunday night. What I can say, is that if you have to opt out of the egg, I would stick with a 3 to 1 ratio of 3-Whey and 1-Casein mixed in with milk. As for your carbs, go with oats for the win! If you cant muster them without anything, get yourself some splenda packets and have fun conjuring up yourself a sweet tooth attack of pleasure brother. " Oats never tasted so good. " Mmmm and if you're looking for some good fats...and you can swallow it...try mixing in your pb with your oats...it's a bitch to swallow, but once you get it down it's amazing overall!

Food = fuel. And you're fuel efficient.

We still, I still would like to know what your "plan of attack" is anywho! That will honestly determine my answer.

pmug0000
01-27-08, 1:17 am
Make yourself a big bowl of oatmeal, put in a couple scoops PB, a couple scoops protein and you are set. Quick, easy, nutritious and delicious.

Chin
01-27-08, 1:53 am
Periodically I do get sick of eggs... I just typically throw down some lean ground beef and eat that OR I steak it up...

Chin

born0withno0soul
01-27-08, 2:20 am
you can eat anyhting you want for breakfast. you dont have to eat eggs most of us just eat them because they do have a great amino profile. eat anyhting with a good amount of protein

Roland
01-27-08, 2:47 am
Oatmeal with 2 scoops protein and slice up an apple in it...tastes pretty good.

simpleguy
01-27-08, 4:16 am
I never have eggs for breakfast... oats and whey, I got used to it; I have my eggs somewhere in the early or late afternoon depending on the day/schedule

Vinny G
01-27-08, 7:43 am

your trying to build your body.....so you are not normal.

you dont eat normal food......you can eat chicken / steak / shakes / its up too you.

dont look at breakfast like a normal person.

Toni69
01-27-08, 8:16 am

you dont eat normal food......you can eat chicken / steak / shakes / its up too you.

AGREED! I love breakfast..its actually my biggest meal of the day even when dieting. And besides..who says you can only have eggs for breakfast? When Im in bulk mode..I wake up and whatever I feel like eating..I will eat...and sometimes it was a dam burger! LOL

mustgetbig
01-27-08, 8:44 am
i dont eat eggs either i just eat a few tuna sandwhiches in the morning

Toni69
01-27-08, 8:47 am
I eat about 12 eggs now (10 whites)...but first thing when I get up..Im starving..your body is hungry for nutrients after sleeping all that time...just feed yourself with the macronutrients you need..you dont have to overstuff yourself like I do, cause Im a pig on a bulk...LOL. Some people arent breakfast type people, but for us, as BB'rs/Strength trainers, we have to have that first meal upon waking..its crucial to our goals...doesnt have to be eggs or a protein shake but it has to be a solid meal, I think so at least.

Soldier
01-27-08, 10:27 am

Couldn't have said it better myself.

RenegadeRows
01-27-08, 12:39 pm
I dont have eggs for breakfast. I have 16oz of milk with 2 scoops of protein and 2 cups of oatmeal. Sometimes I add a side of high fiber waffles to this 4 of em.

krazyassmexican
01-27-08, 12:44 pm
i hate eggs but honestly i wouldnt wanna eat tuna or fish or chicken for breakfast
so what i do

i do "huevos a la mexicana"

i use diced red tomatoes, onions and jalapenos and scrambled them
i am bulkin so i dont count anything

it helps me eat them

Bear
01-27-08, 12:48 pm

Vinny said it best. Often times I'll go outside in the morning and throw a steak on the grill and eat it along with my eggs.

RoJoHen
01-27-08, 7:45 pm
I don't really like breakfast food in the morning (eggs tend to give me a stomach ache first thing in the morning), so I eat all sorts of non-breakfast food.

My favorite breakfast is hotdogs. Haha.

Renji007
01-27-08, 8:55 pm
Make oatmeal, Stick peanutbutter in it, then take a large casien protein shake, and repeat.

Indomitable Will
01-27-08, 9:21 pm

Exactly. My wife always has something to say when I eat "dinner" for breakfast. "You're gonna eat a hamburger for breakfast?" Tomorrow will be left over cous cous from tonight's dinner, and probably a couple tuna sandwiches. And most likely a glass of milk.

Glory
06-08-09, 6:09 pm
I know it's one of or arguably the best to have egg's in the morning for breakfast or to have them in your diet at all for that matter but I have a problem.

I've disliked everything about eggs my whole life and just can't down em' without gagging or having to quit eating. I can't stand the smell/texture/taste or anything.

But what I'm wondering is if there is anything out there that can replace eggs in the morning and have the same effect? Thanks bros.

AFTazz06
06-08-09, 7:09 pm
You can eat anything in the morning, lean meats, lean fish, etc. there's no rule that states ONLY eggs can be eaten in the mornings. People enjoy eggs in the morning because theyre the typical "morning food" but you can eat anything. I personally prefer eggs to any meat because (for me) meats are just too heavy for a first meal for my stomach, eggs just fit nicely at the start of the day.

dyskee
06-08-09, 7:49 pm
check my egg recipies in the recipie section

Tork
06-09-09, 3:33 pm
You could always try egg beaters, they are at your local grocery store, oh though I don't know how good they actually are for you. Have you tried putting salt and pepper or some other spices on them? If not dude and you are willing to do it, just suck that shit up and just eat.

You could always try a egg protein in the mornings, Universal makes a good one. Try that.

Aggression
06-09-09, 3:36 pm
I know it's one of or arguably the best to have egg's in the morning for breakfast or to have them in your diet at all for that matter but I have a problem.

I've disliked everything about eggs my whole life and just can't down em' without gagging or having to quit eating. I can't stand the smell/texture/taste or anything.

I feel ya man. I am the same exact way: I hate the smell/taste/texture of eggs. But I still pound them down, as I know they are one of the best sources of protein/nutrients available. I've been hating them, yet eating them every morning for the past 4 years.

Glory
06-09-09, 3:39 pm
I feel ya man. I am the same exact way: I hate the smell/taste/texture of eggs. But I still pound them down, as I know they are one of the best sources of protein/nutrients available. I've been hating them, yet eating them every morning for the past 4 years.

I have no idea how you do it man... I'm not generally a picky eater and I can't stand them, there is no way my stomach can handle em' and it sucks big time.

Aggression
06-09-09, 3:45 pm
I have no idea how you do it man... I'm not generally a picky eater and I can't stand them, there is no way my stomach can handle em' and it sucks big time.

Ha, yeah I feel ya. I just kinda zone out when I'm eating them. For the past 5 months, I've been having 4oz ground beef with 3 whole eggs. Taking a bite of each together helps hide the taste/texture of the eggs.

As I think about it, here is a way to go. If you're bulking, then this would be perfect. If you're dieting, then the excess calories/fat might be too much. Take about 3 handfuls of frozen hash browns and throw them into a skillet. Allow them to cook about 80% of the way. Then throw in some eggs, right into the same skillet. Mix them around, allowing both to finish cooking. Sprinkle some pepper and cheese on it. I swear, you don't even taste the damn eggs in it. I tried it on a whim and it was the best tasting meal I ever had concerning eggs.

Sphinx
06-09-09, 3:49 pm
Since we're on the topic of eggs, I got one question. Does it matter how you make the eggs? What I mean is, if lets say I scramble or fry as opposed to boil, do I lose any nutrients because of the frying or scrambling?

Aggression
06-09-09, 3:51 pm
Since we're on the topic of eggs, I got one question. Does it matter how you make the eggs? What I mean is, if lets say I scramble or fry as opposed to boil, do I lose any nutrients because of the frying or scrambling?

I don't think you have to worry about that. I make them 'over easy' and 'scrambled', depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Glory
06-09-09, 3:51 pm
Ha, yeah I feel ya. I just kinda zone out when I'm eating them. For the past 5 months, I've been having 4oz ground beef with 3 whole eggs. Taking a bite of each together helps hide the taste/texture of the eggs.

As I think about it, here is a way to go. If you're bulking, then this would be perfect. If you're dieting, then the excess calories/fat might be too much. Take about 3 handfuls of frozen hash browns and throw them into a skillet. Allow them to cook about 80% of the way. Then throw in some eggs, right into the same skillet. Mix them around, allowing both to finish cooking. Sprinkle some pepper and cheese on it. I swear, you don't even taste the damn eggs in it. I tried it on a whim and it was the best tasting meal I ever had concerning eggs.

I'm currently bulking so that sounds damn delicious. I'll give it a go.

CuttDeez
06-09-09, 3:53 pm
I'm sorry guys I can't equate. I just love eggs. Have them every morning. What I do to make them taste great is add vegees, spices, and some hot sauce. I put in green onions, mushrooms, peppers, and spinach. Then I season the eggs with some seasoned salt and pepper, sometimes i put in some cajun seasoning. Then when all that is scrambled up I throw some hot sauce on it. Its a breakfast of choice!

mritter3
06-09-09, 4:01 pm
the egg protein may be a good choice...do you like hardboiled eggs, or egg whites, they make liquid egg whites that i mix in my shakes from time to time.

GJN5002
06-09-09, 4:02 pm
some days I cant eat them early in the morning. The more you mix in the less you taste. Hot sauce, some ham, onions, green peppers, salt, spinach etc. Cook it all in and you will like it better. Also, I hate egg whites. I cant eat 10 egg whites but 5 whole eggs is mighty fine. Try using more yolks if you arent.

Aggression
06-09-09, 4:05 pm
I'm currently bulking so that sounds damn delicious. I'll give it a go.

You don't be disappointed. Matter fact, I'll be eating this tomorrow morning. I totally forgot about it until this thread.

Glory
06-09-09, 4:08 pm
the egg protein may be a good choice...do you like hardboiled eggs, or egg whites, they make liquid egg whites that i mix in my shakes from time to time.

Where can you buy liquid egg whites and how do they change the taste of your shakes? If they do at all?

... This sounds like an interesting idea since I can't stand the natural taste of eggs.

Sphinx
06-09-09, 4:11 pm
Where can you buy liquid egg whites and how do they change the taste of your shakes? If they do at all?

... This sounds like an interesting idea since I can't stand the natural taste of eggs.

I've seen them in the same area where eggs are in the store. They come in small cartons like milk. As for the difference... I think they're a bit modified, anything that comes processed out of a factory I don't take as being the 'real' thing.

BigDubbDiesel
06-09-09, 5:23 pm
dude i fucking pop boiled eggs like theyre sunflower seeds....haha

GJN5002
06-09-09, 8:26 pm
I've seen them in the same area where eggs are in the store. They come in small cartons like milk. As for the difference... I think they're a bit modified, anything that comes processed out of a factory I don't take as being the 'real' thing.

i think egg substitute tastes absolutely horrible, plus all the nutrition is in the yolk.

JasonG
06-09-09, 8:49 pm
Another option for when you get sick of oatmeal is a high protein cereal. There's Special K protein plus for example. Around 20 grams a bowl. Throw in some raisins and it's pretty damn good.

GJN5002
06-10-09, 11:28 am
Another option for when you get sick of oatmeal is a high protein cereal. There's Special K protein plus for example. Around 20 grams a bowl. Throw in some raisins and it's pretty damn good.

What kind of protein does it have? I'd assume plant based or soy

krazyassmexican
06-10-09, 11:31 am

i can only imagine how packet with sugar it is, if i would go for cereal i will wait for dr scott conelly to launch his

GJN5002
06-10-09, 1:46 pm
i can only imagine how packet with sugar it is, if i would go for cereal i will wait for dr scott conelly to launch his

I hope he brings the pizzas back

krazyassmexican
06-10-09, 2:16 pm
I hope he brings the pizzas back

he said he will, packed with protein and only 60grams of carbs

JasonG
06-11-09, 4:35 pm

It's soy protein isolate. It also has 2 grams of sugar and 14 grams of carbs per serving. But people usually don't eat by the box serving so double those.

krazyassmexican
06-11-09, 4:38 pm
It's soy protein isolate. It also has 2 grams of sugar and 14 grams of carbs per serving. But people usually don't eat by the box serving so double those.

soy has no nutritional value for bb

JasonG
06-11-09, 7:18 pm
soy has no nutritional value for bb

I know it's not the best but it works as an alternative to eggs and oatmeal on occasion .
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/soy.html <-- check that out and this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/soy.html

krazyassmexican
06-11-09, 10:43 pm
I know it's not the best but it works as an alternative to eggs and oatmeal on occasion .
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/soy.html <-- check that out and this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/soy.html

many companies sell soy protein but again studies show that it offers zero benefits to the bodybuilder and the average joe as well

Offerstoff
08-11-09, 8:21 pm
I am sorry if the information is out there, I have been unable to find it (and my brain is working against me to figure out a make-up on my own =P).

What sort of food sources/make-ups (e.g. source of protein + source of fat) would be recommeneded to use instead of eggs to obtain a similar complex as eggs?

In short, I ask this because my body cannot tolerate eggs (everything sans mayo and sour cream my body has no problem digesting). Yes, I have tried every kind of egg out there (general mass market, Omega-3 eggs, brown, organic, liquid egg whites, etc), but still cannot tolerate them - I get massive stomach cramping (so bad I'm incapable of moving for 2-3 hours), and this just suddenly occured one day and continues (was eating 4 whole, 4 white before).

Because of the makeup of eggs (and digestibility), they work well in my diet, and were the best for breakfast for me (if I eat chicken or red meat, I feel sick all day). Thus I would like to try to construct something similar.

Anyone hve some suggestions?

GJN5002
08-11-09, 10:15 pm
Try having some digestive enzymes with your eggs. Theres really nothing similar to eggs that is not an egg.

strivin for more
08-11-09, 10:44 pm
i think youre gonna have to mix and match macros now. no other food is as "complete" as an egg. nothing matches all the amino acids it has.

Offerstoff
08-11-09, 11:44 pm
/sigh I feel like an idiot now. I tried many different things, but forgot about adding digestive enzymes. Any recommendations (unit amounts)? I'm not familiar with the units and their ratios (i.e. how much protease for each gram of protein).

Glory
08-11-09, 11:54 pm
I can't stand eggs. I just live without them even though I know they are superior.

fenix237
08-12-09, 12:38 pm
i eat 4-8 whole eggs every day but i do get sick of eating them- eggs are much tastier if you got some bacon and buttered toast (Rye 4 me!), but that's not the best route in terms of nutrition...

i put some peppers (green and hot), onions, tomatoes into a skillet and get it going to the point where the veggies are mostly sizzling, then add 1 cup of precooked brown/wild rice, 3 large whole eggs, and 4-6oz of precooked lean ground beef. with the spatula work the mixture until it's all small crumbles and until the eggs are dry. add spices and top with salsa (and cheese if you want).. roughly 50 protein, 50 carbs, and @25grams of fat- tastes great!

GJN5002
08-12-09, 1:06 pm
/sigh I feel like an idiot now. I tried many different things, but forgot about adding digestive enzymes. Any recommendations (unit amounts)? I'm not familiar with the units and their ratios (i.e. how much protease for each gram of protein).

Dont feel dumb, I do it all the time. I'll go a week and wonder why Im so bloated or nauseous and I remember to throw in some digestive enzymes and Im good.

I would use a protease enzyme, thta is the enzyme that breaks down protein. Also. bromean in (pineapple) and papain (in papya) help break down protein, so you could have a dish of those frutis with your eggs.

Just experiement with amounts and see if it helps.

androidhinter
05-20-10, 12:19 pm
I'm trying to cut right now and I've been having 1-2 whole eggs and 4-5 whites every morning for a long time. Any suggestions on some other meats for breakfast? I have tried using kipper. Sometimes I have a whey shake and some kind of whole grain low glycemic like oats or brown rice cakes with a banana. Here's what my morning looks like:

Pak, aminos,efa's (and cuts when its in the budget)
2 eggs, 5-6 egg whites sometimes with lean turkey
oatmeal with a banana or raisins
glass of low sodium V8 and some water (this breakfast makes me thirsty)

Yeah yeah I know suck it up and eat the eggs but if i dont have to I gonna have some variety. I'm kind of low budget right now which is the main reason for the eggs (all natural XL eggs $1.66 per dozen)

LegendKillerJosh
05-20-10, 12:23 pm
throw some lean ham in there. also try low calorie options like peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes or anything else you like.

NJC_Manhattan
05-20-10, 1:27 pm
Im a big supporter of lean steak for breakfast.

Though on my cut, its a little different.....

Toro
05-20-10, 3:16 pm
Another cheap option is canned tuna fish. Yeah it tastes like shit, but if you can suck it up it is very economical.