PDA

View Full Version : Should I use/wear a weightlifting belt?

Quadz
01-28-07, 7:26 pm
I have a real small waist and my lats attach very low so it looks even smaller. A female bodybuilder told me i should wear a belt when i do deads, squats, leg press because it would keep my waist from expanding during these movements. I've never worn a belt, felt like it messed with my breathing. However i don't want to lose my taper. Any opinions??

Big Jawn
01-28-07, 8:43 pm
I have a real small waist and my lats attach very low so it looks even smaller. A female bodybuilder told me i should wear a belt when i do deads, squats, leg press because it would keep my waist from expanding during these movements. I've never worn a belt, felt like it messed with my breathing. However i don't want to lose my taper. Any opinions??

Use a belt for your sets above 90% when doing heavy movements that could have a potentially damaging effect on your back, such as back squats, deadlifts and heavy rows. Some people perfer not to wear them, its really personal preference. I take my health very seriously and enjoy the extra support on my heavier sets, it does not effect my breathing.

IronLeague
01-28-07, 8:44 pm
I don't know about it keeping your waist small. I always wear a belt on heavy sets of deads, squats, and shrugs, but that's just me. I feel better when everything is tight on heavy sets.

Respect,
IronLeague

Jester
01-28-07, 9:12 pm
Yes having the belt around your waist might restrict a little bit of your air flow but if you breath right you wont have a problem. Just look at this way would you rather not wear a belt so you can breath and potentially screw up your back or take the precaution and be able to go heavier with support. I personally use a belt when I am trying to go up on the last set that way if I can only squeeze out a few, that I at least keep my form correct and dont potentially damage my back.

workoutfreakk
01-28-07, 10:46 pm
using a belt is more of a safety issue than anything. i use mine when going heavy on squats and deads only, and would strongly recommend doing that also. you definitely don't want to mess up you low back.

Hollywood
01-28-07, 11:17 pm
Agreed. Some people say not to use belts with anything under 75% max cause it hurts with core strength development. I could see that, but definitely anything over 80% you should wear a belt, especially deads and squats. Back injuries are the worst, so keep it healthy.

Maccabee
01-28-07, 11:37 pm
I always put my belt on when i do compound movements, however you have muscles around your entire stomach and back that doesnt get worked out when you have your belt. So i was told by an expierenced lifter to try training with out for a while because he said it would increase my lifts and make you stronger.

speedster00
01-29-07, 12:26 am
maybe I need to start....but I've never worn a belt...ever...

IronLeague
01-29-07, 1:21 am
maybe I need to start....but I've never worn a belt...ever...

Once you start moving some big weight you will use a belt. Throw 500 on the barbell and squat it in the bucket, lets see how that back holds up. Or dead 405 for ten without a belt, see how that feels. Unless your a vet sporting decades of hard earned muscle, I recomend using a belt for heavy sets. It doesn't make you any more of a hard ass to go heavy without a belt.

Respect,
IronLeague

Buck Nasty
01-29-07, 1:28 am
i wore a belt all through HS then stopped my senior yr because of an article i read about core strenght. i feel that wearing a belt is good for when you approach exhaustion and EXTREME weights. about the breathing problem... when your adjusting your belt tighten it until it gets to the point where its the tightest, then back it off one notch. this will allow for you to "set your core". what you do is at the top of your rep for squats you take a big breath and hold it in your gut instead of your chest. this acts as a means of tightening your core and supports your lower back. breathe out on the way up to get through the top of your stick point. hope this helps

pdiesel
01-29-07, 2:13 am
i only wear a belt when im squatting (because i train back before i train legs and my back is still recovering)..i also use it on my heaviest set of press or deadlift..i dont like relying on it too much, but sometimes, it's a must..safety is a priority in this game and you dont wanna mess up a sensitive area like the lower back..my buddy here at school had a back injury..at first he thought it was nothing, but soon, it got worse and worse..he took some time off and then started lifting again..his back starting hurting even more, so he went to see a doctor..the doctor told him he messed up some discs in his lower back..needless to say, hes out of the game now..he tried taking 6 months off, but it did nothing..he had a lot of passion and dedication to the sport, but a stupid injury with careless form has landed him out of the gym..i always told him to strap on a belt on the heavy heavy sets (4 reps or less)..he didnt listen and is screwed now..a few days ago he told me hes gonna need surgery..

The_Dude
01-29-07, 9:51 am
Cool. I just started getting in the habit of wearing one. uncomfortable at first..

ILL
01-29-07, 10:31 am
Shieck belts are amazing... I used to have the plain 6" all the way around, and now I got the sheick belt the difference is AMAZING, the shieck is actually shaped....fits me so well, VERY pleased with my purchase!

gsb239
01-29-07, 12:37 pm
Use a belt for your sets above 90% when doing heavy movements that could have a potentially damaging effect on your back, such as back squats, deadlifts and heavy rows. Some people perfer not to wear them, its really personal preference. I take my health very seriously and enjoy the extra support on my heavier sets, it does not effect my breathing.

Shieck belts are amazing... I used to have the plain 6" all the way around, and now I got the sheick belt the difference is AMAZING, the shieck is actually shaped....fits me so well, VERY pleased with my purchase!

Above 90% of what? 1 rep max or 10 rep max?

I'm also thinking of buying a Shieck belt but I can't decide between leather or the regular canvas type material. Any advice?

tank2k7
01-29-07, 12:37 pm
I agree, a belt is good to wear not only to prevent lower back injury and stabilize you, but it is also good protection against hernias. You dont want to get one of those and then be out of the game for several months. Better safe than sorry

dragondad
01-29-07, 3:41 pm
I have both. I use the leather belt on my heavy weight days and I actually wear the canvas belt all other times while lifting. The canvas seems to stay put better unless you really sinch down the leather. Both are great, but, Maybe, from what I'm reading I need to not wear it unless I'm goin heavy??

TheNaturalG
01-29-07, 4:56 pm
I agree, a belt is good to wear not only to prevent lower back injury and stabilize you, but it is also good protection against hernias. You dont want to get one of those and then be out of the game for several months. Better safe than sorry

Yea, they really help with preventing hernias. I already had an operation and basically wear a belt now on anything that puts alot of pressure on my stomach.

speedster00
01-29-07, 5:32 pm
Once you start moving some big weight you will use a belt. Throw 500 on the barbell and squat it in the bucket, lets see how that back holds up. Or dead 405 for ten without a belt, see how that feels. Unless your a vet sporting decades of hard earned muscle, I recomend using a belt for heavy sets. It doesn't make you any more of a hard ass to go heavy without a belt.

Respect,
IronLeague

right on. right now i'm in the 300+ range for DL and Squat

I do need to look into a belt. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

workoutfreakk
01-29-07, 6:18 pm
like most of us have been saying all along, use a belt when going heavy...not to look cool or seem like a badass, but for safety. i think it's time to start thinking about a belt if you are repping out over 300 on squats and deadlifts.

speedster00
01-29-07, 6:49 pm
any body have any suggestions on where to buy one???? Things to look for and so on?

7Forty7
01-29-07, 7:59 pm
Everything's been said already, but I'll throw my 2c in - I use to wear one for everything, but now I try and compromise between support and core development. So when I'm at about my 8 rep max on squats/deads, I'll belt up. As someone has said - doesn't feel good at the bottom of squat with close to 500 on the bar, and no extra support.

I've read a fair bit lately about constant wearing of belts keeping your waist small. Interesting to note some bodybuilders (like Ronnie) who seem to wear a belt during every part of every workout.

bobbyj654
01-29-07, 8:04 pm
wearing a belt is a sign of weakness to me

unless, unless you really really need it, in other words you have back and core problems and CANT do anything about it, other than that, you should really teach your core and back to get stronger, remember, everything starts from the core, all movements originate from the core, so do not do it unless it is a real necessity

Wolf Man CHG
01-29-07, 8:12 pm
never wear a belt........i make sure to keep my core muscles tight on heavy lifts for stability

heavyliftin
01-29-07, 9:01 pm
You want a hardcore belt, get one off of inzernet.com, powerlifting though it may be, they'll never wear out. I have a 13mm double pronged one, inside is leather and outisde is felt, really quality belt, you'll never need another one. A lot better than those stupid tapered ones, I hate those. I busted two belts like that on squats, and after that I had to get one from Inzer and never had any trouble with it.

Mickey
01-29-07, 9:02 pm
wear a belt if and only if youre goin heavy, very heavy (1 to 4 reps) otherwise youre not gonna strengthen your ligaments and tendons so youll end up with a week abdomin and back; same goes with your knees and elbows with wraps...

gsb239
01-30-07, 12:47 am
Yea, they really help with preventing hernias. I already had an operation and basically wear a belt now on anything that puts alot of pressure on my stomach.

Schieck and Altus belts are supposed to be very good. I'm also looking for one at the moment.

workoutfreakk
01-30-07, 12:18 pm
the forever lever belt from inzer is my new belt of choice. it's so much easier to put on and take off, and it'll never wear out.

speedster00
01-30-07, 12:50 pm
On inzer's website, they have a lever and buckle belt. Any preferance?

Quadz
02-01-07, 9:38 am
Thanks for all the replies. I have a belt i'll start using it on my heavier sets to get the extra support.

speedster00
02-01-07, 12:00 pm
I just ordered an Inzer Forever Lever yesterday......cant wait till it gets in.

G Diesel
02-01-07, 12:13 pm
I've got an old, crusty leather belt that I've had the entire time I've trained... We've been through some shit together. Wear it on heavy sets of squats, rows and deads. That fucker has basically molded itself over the years to fit me perfectly. Peace, G

rev8ball
02-01-07, 12:19 pm
I've got an old, crusty leather belt that I've had the entire time I've trained... We've been through some shit together. Wear it on heavy sets of squats, rows and deads. That fucker has basically molded itself over the years to fit me perfectly. Peace, G

Exactly, G. I have an Inzer Lever Belt that I kept from my comp days: crusty, musty, and saw-dusty! It even still has an autograph from Anthony Clark that I got yeeeeaaaarrrrs ago. Any time I still put it on, I wonder if it gets that much closer to permenantly grafting itself to my skin....

SLEDGE
02-01-07, 12:25 pm
There was a scientific study done recently that showed that you actually recruit more quad muscle fibers when you wear a weight belt for squats. It was in IRON MAN magazine a couple months ago. As far as losing core strength, I don't follow the school of thought that says you lose core strength when you wear a belt. I specifically work my core and see steady improvement. Risk vs reward would lead me to believe that the rewards of wearing a belt, with more quad muscle fiber activation and reduced risk of injury, far outweigh any risk of losing core strength.

TimW123
03-01-07, 12:51 am
Should I use a belt for all core lifts?

Sir
03-01-07, 1:27 am
ITS ALL PREFERENCE!!!

I only use one for heavy squats (400lbs+) and heavy standing military presses...if ur back need support, then use it.

gsb239
03-01-07, 1:29 am
No. I don't see any reason to wear a belt on bench press.
Deadlifts and squats are a different story since the lower back/abdominal wall come into play significantly. Again, don't use the belt on all of your sets for squats and deads, especially warm-up sets. Ideally you should use the belt on sets where you're using 60% or higher of your one rep max. Personally, if I was doing 5 sets of squats or deads, I'd only be using the belt on my last 2 at the most.

the Force
03-01-07, 2:15 am
I can't recall the lifter at the moment, but he said "if you never use a belt while you're getting stronger, you'll never need one." There is a lot of truth in this statement. If you never use a belt or wraps while you're a lightweight, when you get to the mean weight your body will be accustomed and all those little stabilizers will be ready. However obviously if you're going to be going ultra heavy on deadlifts or squats or anything olympic i would probably use a belt. The rule of thumb i've heard people throw around the gym, is once you start going above your body weight is when you should think about the belt. If you're 150lbs of lean ripped muscle that rule sucks ass. But if you're 300lbs of blah, and you're squatting 400, well you get the picture.

workoutfreakk
05-22-07, 10:48 pm
Does anyone know why a lot of pros wear a belt almost the entire time they're in the gym? Anytime anyone asks the purpose/uses of a belt, it is always said to basically only use them on heavy squats and deads. However, on many bbuilding vids pros are wearin them on chest day or whatever. Any comments?

MELTDOWN
05-22-07, 10:59 pm
always have..always will. just something about the "tight" feel of the midsection and back that i like. that's just me, and i'm old.....

TheOak_akl
05-22-07, 11:00 pm
Does anyone know why a lot of pros wear a belt almost the entire time they're in the gym? Anytime anyone asks the purpose/uses of a belt, it is always said to basically only use them on heavy squats and deads. However, on many bbuilding vids pros are wearin them on chest day or whatever. Any comments?

I wear mine pretty much all the time, especially for the big lifts. I loosen it every once in a while between sets

Brute Strength
05-22-07, 11:03 pm
There is a post on this but i will tell you...most of them use it because if you watch the weight they are pulling that isn't a pencil with two peices of paper..it is HEAVY. Some people say they only use it on weights above 135 on the bar and over 60 on the dumbbell. I prefer to use it only on squats and deads and some other mass building excersices. But to sum it all up it's not a cane, its not a crutch...so don't think it is bad to use it all the time but don't feel like you are being a punk neither putting it on. Also i've read that not to use it all the time because not using it on some excersices help build the muscle in those areas where the belt is at...EX. Lower Back. Go ahead and use it on your heavy sets...but if you can do something with small weight then don't use it.

Testpolska
05-22-07, 11:23 pm
I beleive Ronnie Coleman accually asked...Joe Wieder (spelling) on what he could do about his extruding 'gut'. If you've ever seen Big Ron you know what I'm talking about. He instructed him to always keep his abs tight not flexed but tight and wear a belt in the gym constantly in order to keep his 'gut' from being relaxed. I beleive I read or heard that somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chin
05-22-07, 11:59 pm
Hrmm... I don't even own one... I would think just as long as you aren't wreckless with your form.

The only way I would see myself getting anyone anytime soon is if I decided to go for record deads and squats each week.

crypto
05-23-07, 12:26 am
i used to never wear a belt but now i always wear one. it just seems to give me so much support in the back and like a famous body builder (dont remember which one) said, that ure muscles can take a beating, but not ure bones.

Frankie86
05-23-07, 2:21 am
i dunno..ive never worn one before..never went heavy enough too..but all i know is that i heard its not good to wear unless u have to(deads, squats)..no one i know wears them unless there doin those exercises..ive been told its not good to wear everyday..same thing with wraps..heard those arent good to wear everyday either

k1usa
05-23-07, 3:05 am
when I started BB back 24 year ago...had one on all the time...then took a long brake....and now..just use one on dead lift day...for some reason...when I try to ware it duing my other movements...I dont like the feel

Wrestling Freak
05-23-07, 5:05 am
I personally feel that a belt takes good developmental stress off of the lower back. I never wear one, even if I'm doin' a heavy single or double on squats or deads... That's just me though.

Gainer65
05-23-07, 6:51 am
Never have,never will.They're annoying,and restrict my movements

Xander
05-23-07, 1:07 pm
I like the belt for a couple reasons.

Helps control my breathing.

Keeps my core "tight" or I percieve it to keep it tight..

Prevents injury when you cheat or force a rep.

Plus..mine is the old Rebok Pump Belt made by Cardillo back in the 90s. The fit is amazing and it's worked flawlessly for 12-14 years now.

Ditch it after heavy sets tho'..to let the breathing get heavy or I'd puke.

-Xander-

ironshaolin
05-23-07, 1:10 pm
I save it for special occasions. I think wearing it all the time will inhibit your midsection from getting as strong as it can. I'd rather be able to squat 300 with no belt, thats really raw. However, I always do my warmups, and maybe 1 working set with no belt. Once I get heavy enough where I feel I could hurt myself, then I throw it on.

bharatoza
05-23-07, 1:12 pm
Funny you started this thread. Just yesterday I was watching those videos on bodybuilding.com - 'Getting Cut with Glass'. Charles Glass and Bob Chicerello briefly spoke about wearing belts.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut4.htm

G Diesel
05-23-07, 1:31 pm
I wear a belt on my heavy sets for squats, leg presses, hacks, standing military, rows, barbell shrugs and deads... Basically any set of a back/legs movement that is heavy enough for me to compromise my lower back. Peace, G

Punisher
05-23-07, 1:55 pm
I hate wearing a belt, though I should probably wear one on heavy squats and deads I just don't like it and choose not to. I don't get why people wear em to do chest or triceps, basically any movements that dont require a heavy load on your core or lower back. To me it seems like poeple who wear a belt alll the time from the moment they step in the gym till the time they leave never really seem to be pushing too much weight anyway, jmo.

J-Dawg
05-23-07, 2:06 pm

I know many who use a belt as a safety precaution when training heavy on leg day or back day. I haven't personally seen many pros use a belt on chest or arm day, however, those that do are often using some heavy weights and as such their midsection may not be able to support such heavy loads, in turn they use a belt to act as a stabilizer so that they can focus on the bodypart they are training and not worry about the midsection giving out.

Personally, I opt for a belt only on heavy rows, deads or squats. I'd rather strengthen my midsection so that it can support heavy weight on its own and not have to rely on using a belt when training chest, arms and shoulders.

brandonA
05-23-07, 3:31 pm
I dont use a belt..yet...I may when I get to the heavy weights...for me that means over 300 in squat and high 3's maybe even 400 on deads...plus right now my quest is to drop poundage...be my stupid luck that i will get a nice belt and then it dont fit in a couple of months.....If I was wearing a belt last night for squats, I might not have really noticed how weak my core is, now i know and will set the process in motion to bring it up to where it needs to be....

-B

Maccabee
05-23-07, 3:49 pm
Belts is something used to support you on heavy ass lifts. There are muscles around your waist that when you put on a damn belt it just doesnt get worked out. So if you always wear a belt dont forget to do some GM's or Hyperextensions with some damn weight.

I personally use the belt once I go real heavy. If I am doin squats I wont put on the belt until I go higher then 315 lbs. The stronger I get, eventually I wont wear the belt until I go higher then 365 and so on. The same goes for knee wraps bro. You cant always be putting them on for every damn set. There are muscles in your knees that need to be worked out. Thats just my opinion. Out of my entire leg workout I only put on a belt on my last two sets of like leg pressin, squat, hack squat, but before that I dont put on any of that shit.

gsb239
05-23-07, 6:32 pm
I wear a belt on my heavy sets for squats, leg presses, hacks, standing military, rows, barbell shrugs and deads... Basically any set of a back/legs movement that is heavy enough for me to compromise my lower back. Peace, G

I agree with G Diesel on this one. I like to use it on my heavy sets for the exercises he has listed.

workoutfreakk
05-23-07, 8:47 pm
I agree with all you guys that say to only use the belt on those heavy sets...that's what I do too. I was just bringing up the point that if you watch almost any bodybuilding vid the pros wear their belt when doing chest and arms (sometimes you have to look closely with Jay because he'll wear his under his shirt). On the battle for the Olympia '06 when Branch and Johnnie are training chest, they both wear their belt when doing bench presses, but remove them for their cable crossovers.

MetalAsh12
05-23-07, 8:51 pm
I used one the other day during deadlifts and it cut into my stomach like a sunuva bitch. Hurt like nothing before...I don't like belts :)

Sensei
05-24-07, 1:01 am
Always thought the belt took away from mid section development. Your core needs to be just as strong to support the heavy weight that your pushing elsewhere, the belt is supporting where the midsection isn't so its not getting any stronger. Just my 2 cents.

peterpyper
05-24-07, 1:17 am
i hadnt wear my belt in a long time,i use to wear it when i first started out,but i think wearing it too much aint good for ur bones over a long period of time,because it leaves the area damp and the bone suck in the moisture,later on in life causeing arthritis..same thing as goin to bed with ur hair wet,causeing headaches and migrains the chinese call it wind disease

thats my 2 cent weather u belive it or not

SolidTongan
05-24-07, 4:28 pm
I've read that it it trains the core muscles...but I've also read that it's not the best idea, because it weakens your lower back muscles because they aren't gettin' that much work.

ironshaolin
05-24-07, 4:33 pm
I think wearing a belt in the gym makes you look sexy and tough. Like, ooo look at him he has that belt on with his leather gloves, wrist wraps for pressdowns, knee/elbow wraps, and tight spandex shorts he must be hardcore. HAHA but my opinion is if you need a belt for anything other than the heaviest sets, your core is too weak and you should train it more.

krazyassmexican
05-24-07, 4:34 pm
i wear it all the times why?

i feel my back more secured and i care for my balls (sounds funny but i heard heavy lifts fuck with ur balls)

JMC
05-24-07, 4:39 pm
I think wearing a belt in the gym makes you look sexy and tough. Like, ooo look at him he has that belt on with his leather gloves, wrist wraps for pressdowns, knee/elbow wraps, and tight spandex shorts he must be hardcore. HAHA but my opinion is if you need a belt for anything other than the heaviest sets, your core is too weak and you should train it more.

That one got me laughing....good one!

G Diesel
05-24-07, 4:41 pm
That one got me laughing....good one!

Dude at my gym last night... Bandana on backwards, riding on the ellliptical, lifting gloves and a belt on, headphones jacked up, singing at the top of his lungs. I shit you not. Peace, G

Punisher
05-24-07, 4:41 pm
i wear it all the times why?

i feel my back more secured and i care for my balls (sounds funny but i heard heavy lifts fuck with ur balls)

lol are u wearing it as we speak???

Punisher
05-24-07, 4:43 pm
honestly i think that jay and branch wear a belt to make sure that their midsections do not get worked on these movements, they are at the point where any abdominal muscle growth would not be beneficial to their physiques but most guys do not and will not have this problem any time soon

JMC
05-24-07, 4:45 pm
Dude at my gym last night... Bandana on backwards, riding on the ellliptical, lifting gloves and a belt on, headphones jacked up, singing at the top of his lungs. I shit you not. Peace, G

I love those guys!!! Kind of like when I was in Cali and this place was FULL in the cardio area....like 50 machines, full... Seriously like 10 people sunglasses on....SUNGLASSES!!! It was like 78 degrees and cloudy outside....only in CA!

Good story though...you'll never forget that cat!

ironshaolin
05-24-07, 4:47 pm

I got a guy like that at my gym, I think he's retarded or something. He has this huge gut, seriously its the only fat part of him but it sticks out like he's 8 months pregnant. He wears windbreakers and a beater ALL the time, headphones, gloves, elbow wraps, belt the works. His appearance is only the beginning, his workouts are something else. He walks around for like 5 mins, checking out the girls, walking with his elbows flared like his lats are too big(they aren't), checks himself out in the mirror, then finally picks any random machine, sits down and does like 8-10 reps through 1/4 range of motion and makes a face like he's cumming all over. Then he stands up, looks around to see who's watching him, and repeats. If I made a workout video, I'd put him in it.

BamBam
05-24-07, 4:50 pm
I like the belt all the time...keeps me tight and I see pros using them all the time and I think why not do it if they do it? There has to be something there that is meant to help you cuz it sure as hell aint for fashion.

Malloy1344
05-24-07, 4:55 pm
i use the belt on my heavy sets of squats, deads and shoulder shrugs........i find it most useful doing shrugs....the back takes a beating when your holding 500+ pounds in your hands....same for deads.....but there the only 3 exercises I use it for....

Punisher
05-24-07, 4:56 pm
I like the belt all the time...keeps me tight and I see pros using them all the time and I think why not do it if they do it? There has to be something there that is meant to help you cuz it sure as hell aint for fashion.

honestly i think that jay and branch wear a belt to make sure that their midsections do not get worked on these movements, they are at the point where any abdominal muscle growth would not be beneficial to their physiques but most guys do not and will not have this problem any time soon

with that said i dont think you nee dto wear the belt all the time, but if it makes you happy you can do it

JMC
05-24-07, 4:57 pm

I see some pros with some horrid cutoff booty shorts and no sleeve flannel shirts too, you aint gonna catch me dead in any of that garbage!

Liftbig21
05-24-07, 6:12 pm
I beleive Ronnie Coleman accually asked...Joe Wieder (spelling) on what he could do about his extruding 'gut'. If you've ever seen Big Ron you know what I'm talking about. He instructed him to always keep his abs tight not flexed but tight and wear a belt in the gym constantly in order to keep his 'gut' from being relaxed. I beleive I read or heard that somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah i def saw that in a video as well...i wear mine most of the time but really tight on heavy lifts...without your back,your nothing.

TufffGuY
05-24-07, 6:16 pm
Just an FYI, the belt was originally designed for over head lifts, such as push press or military press.

Gainer65
05-24-07, 6:37 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong.I read that unless you wear a belt tight enough where you can't get your fingers between your body and the belt,it actually does'nt do any good.

king1
05-24-07, 10:19 pm
I wear a belt on heavy shrugs, deadlifts, squats, military press, and heavy rows. Since ive been cutting, my reps never fall below 8, and ive been doing short rest periods im never working with really heavy weights so i leave the belt at home.

workoutfreakk
05-24-07, 11:56 pm

this could possibly be the answer i was looking for.

Sensei
05-25-07, 1:06 am

Yea I think every gym has their character.... We have a 40 year old former pharmacist who got his liscense stripped for selling illegally, now he spends his time working as a trainer with his shorts waist band pulled to his nipples, playing air guitar and talking in demonic tongue to people while they have 200 plus on there chest. What I'd give to knock the old man off his high horse.

BamBam
05-25-07, 1:44 pm
I see some pros with some horrid cutoff booty shorts and no sleeve flannel shirts too, you aint gonna catch me dead in any of that garbage!

Flannel shirts and boty shorts dont really serve the same purpose as a belt...if that were the case I could've saved a hell of a lot of money on my belt and just bought a 5 dollar flannel shirt from Wally World and tied it around m waist to do squats. Clothes are clothes, hence a persons style...shit, look at Colemen...the skin tight zooba pants? Those are so damn funny to look at but shit, he pulls it off with MASSIVE legs. The belt is a necessity...maybe not all the time...just stating personal preference.

I used it yesterday when I did standing military and it helped...so I really think the only time it would be pointless to wear a belt would be for arms.

[FreaK] of [NatuRe]
05-25-07, 4:44 pm
I agree with all you guys that say to only use the belt on those heavy sets...that's what I do too. I was just bringing up the point that if you watch almost any bodybuilding vid the pros wear their belt when doing chest and arms (sometimes you have to look closely with Jay because he'll wear his under his shirt). On the battle for the Olympia '06 when Branch and Johnnie are training chest, they both wear their belt when doing bench presses, but remove them for their cable crossovers.

Like most of everybody else said, belts are excellent for heavy sets on squats, standing military press, deads, power cleans, hang cleans, shit of that sort. If you wear a belt any other time. You'll find out that even though you look so big and burly with that shit on, you'll actually weaken your core immensely, thus making you more vulnerable to injuries and shit when you dont wear it.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
BOTTOM LINE

Keep it short and sweet; when you're not lifting heavy on legs, or standin up and doing shoulders, or doing deadlifts, or you're just walking around... take that shit off. Wear it only during your sets. and exercises that put a of weight on your spine veritcally
.................................................. .................................................. ...

haha speakin of which, i got to make fun of this guy at my gym when he has the guts to tell me not to do squats cause it supposedly fucks up my back... with good form and belt, you'll be just fine. That guy walks around with his belt on nice and tight and puffin out his body to look big, but when it comes to fuckin doing the weight on ANYTHING. he can't. because he relies on it too much. You can have to much of a good thing. :) use it wisely

workoutfreakk
05-25-07, 4:52 pm
While we're on the topic of belts, do you guys prefer a standard leather belt, or a thck powerlifting belt. I have both, and tend to use my powerlifting belt for the absolutely heaviest sets on days I feel really good, and use the leather one for all other times that truly call for a belt.

[FreaK] of [NatuRe]
05-25-07, 4:54 pm
While we're on the topic of belts, do you guys prefer a standard leather belt, or a thck powerlifting belt. I have both, and tend to use my poserlifting belt for the absolutely heaviest sets on days I feel really good, and use the leather one for all other times that truly call for a belt.

Leather bro. My school was poor. I'm poor. haha, I've a got an old leather belt passed down to me that's survived for some years. It's like old faithful. never lets me down.

BamBam
05-29-07, 1:13 pm
Leather...and I like the thick powerlifting belts as well

workoutfreakk
05-29-07, 9:39 pm
Just for the record, I just watched an old Shawn Ray vid and he said he wears a belt ALL the time he's in the gym.

I also just saw an old Haney vid and he said it's very important to wear a belt on shoulder press and squats.

I know that studies show that wearing a belt all the time will prevent some core muscles from strengthening, but I have to wonder if these pros always followed this practice, or did they start once all their muscles were pretty much developed?

mcbeast
05-30-07, 10:50 am
there weights progressed as their size did so idk

as for the belt.
NO i will only use it on my 1rm's for deads.
and squats if i ever decide to try a 1rm
overhead presses is a maybe,depending how taxed your back is from the week

G Diesel
05-30-07, 11:38 am
of [NatuRe];95673']Leather bro. My school was poor. I'm poor. haha, I've a got an old leather belt passed down to me that's survived for some years. It's like old faithful. never lets me down.

Hell yeah bro... My belt is a hand-me-down that has seen some shit. I've been using it for 10+ years and it was far from new when I got it. Peace, G

BamBam
05-30-07, 12:10 pm
I hope to do that with my son or my grandson or whatever when I am older...My belt was a gift from my mom so I use it no matter what cuz I knnow how hard it was for her to get it when I needed it. SO, hopefully I can wear it down and give it hell, and then let my little Animal do the same...someday!

Powerfreak
05-30-07, 12:43 pm
I try not to use a belt .
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/bdweston/?action=view&current=DSCN0967.flv

crypto
05-30-07, 3:59 pm
now i know wearing a belt will restrict someone strengthening their core, but what if someone wears a belt all the time in the gym but also workout their core like on another day or at the end of a workout? would that make sense?

Bruiser
05-30-07, 4:00 pm
belts are like wraps or braces. they're a great help help but if you overuse them you will never strengthen that particular area.

G Diesel
05-30-07, 4:45 pm
belts are like wraps or braces. they're a great help help but if you overuse them you will never strengthen that particular area.

Well said bro... Utilizing them when necessary is the key, not depending on them at times when they are not needed. Peace, G

boar
05-30-07, 5:33 pm
I don't think a belt is necessary for wearing all the time. It does not enhance lifts other then squats and deads. It just keeps the abs contracted.

A belt should be used for 90% of max for deads and squats. weights under 90 percent you could go without a belt to develop core stength.

Joe D'Amato
05-31-07, 2:30 pm
they probably dont want to hurt there lower back, making them take off duew to injuries.

trainer89
03-14-09, 11:17 pm
I have never used a belt before but im thinking about buying one tomorrow. I rather spend $30-$60 on a belt then blow out my back and spend god knows how much on hospital bills. Now I dont lift much compared you guys cause im only 19 and weight 144 lbs but the weight i use is heavy to me. I just rather be safe on my deadlifts and squats. Should I go buy one tomorrow? Thanks.

Camdog
03-14-09, 11:24 pm
better safe than sorry

trainer89
03-14-09, 11:27 pm
better safe than sorry

I was thinking the same thing

rocky36
03-14-09, 11:42 pm
better safe than sorry

Very true, however don't become dependent on it

Psycho77
03-15-09, 12:06 am
A belt should be part of your gym bag arsenal but don't use it all the time. I only break out the belt when I do about 75-80% of my 1RM or above.

Do some back/lower back work to keep your back conditioned.

J-PILE
03-15-09, 12:14 am
Very true, however don't become dependent on it

A belt should be part of your gym bag arsenal but don't use it all the time. I only break out the belt when I do about 75-80% of my 1RM or above.

Do some back/lower back work to keep your back conditioned.

x2.

dedsqtbnch
03-15-09, 12:43 am
i use my belt the last 3 to 4 sets on dead squat or bench depending on the sets and i always go heavy other than that i may use it on a cheat for biceps some time

ironbound
03-15-09, 10:05 am
Hey bro,
I personally believe a belt is a good investment. The biggest mistake people make though is using them too much. You'll see some guys in the gym wearing a belt from the time they arrive to the time they leave, which is overdoing it. They'll never have good core strength. I think it's only necessary to always wear a belt in the gym if you find your midsection is getting too big. That's why you'll see a lot of pros wearing belts a lot, which makes sense. But as for me, I only strap on mine when I'm going heavier on my squats and deadlifts. Roofing fucked up my back a bit, and like you, I've gotta be careful.

mritter3
03-15-09, 10:19 am
i would only use the belt for heavy lifts, otherwise on lighter ones focus on keeping your abs tight and your back straight.

andrewT
03-15-09, 11:53 am
Hey bro,
I personally believe a belt is a good investment. The biggest mistake people make though is using them too much. You'll see some guys in the gym wearing a belt from the time they arrive to the time they leave, which is overdoing it. They'll never have good core strength. I think it's only necessary to always wear a belt in the gym if you find your midsection is getting too big. That's why you'll see a lot of pros wearing belts a lot, which makes sense. But as for me, I only strap on mine when I'm going heavier on my squats and deadlifts. Roofing fucked up my back a bit, and like you, I've gotta be careful.

When you mean waist gets too big do you mean muscle?
so the belt actually prevents the use of the core and keeps those muscles from working therefore not allowing growth?

RhinoJoe
03-15-09, 12:02 pm
I don't use a belt at all anymore. I think I started to depend on it too much and when I didn't wear it, the muscles didn't know what to to do. That's how I injured my lower back. I think you should just wear it when you are lifting really heavy, like 80% max or so. Or maybe incorporate a lot of trunk strengthening exercises into your routine to be sure.

mark
03-15-09, 12:25 pm
I've pulled and squatted 4+ before with no belt and have no back injuries.
Just do tons of weighted ab work, esp for your obliques.
If you're that worried, get one but only wear for a weight you can't get for at least 3 reps.

prowrestler
03-15-09, 12:28 pm
i took off my belt when i deadlifted 495, i thought i should bring it that night, then said fuck it.

a strong lower back and abs and proper warm up is all i need.

J Wong
03-15-09, 12:28 pm
I wear one now after trying it, the support is great (I have an actual PL belt, not a standard walmart belt). I used to never wear one though, and on my heavy sets I had some lower back pain.

reconlife43
03-15-09, 1:05 pm
so i was watching some lifting vids and was wondering...what does the belt do for you when benching or any chest and bi's workout?

ironbound
03-15-09, 2:32 pm
When you mean waist gets too big do you mean muscle?
so the belt actually prevents the use of the core and keeps those muscles from working therefore not allowing growth?

Yeah man exactly. After lifting for several years some guys will notice their abs and obliques getting a little too big, making their V taper less dramatic. Ever notice your abs burning when you're doing an exercise you wouldn't think related to them at all? My abs tend to burn when I do rope push-downs on the cable for triceps. Heavy squats and deadlifts will do it too. Wearing a belt will take the strain off of your midsection so those muscles aren't worked as much. This tends to be a problem only very experienced bodybuilders face though. In short, try to only wear your belt when doing heavy squats and deadlifts to protect your spine.

dedsqtbnch
03-15-09, 4:14 pm
so i was watching some lifting vids and was wondering...what does the belt do for you when benching or any chest and bi's workout?

well on the bis part
you are always putting your back at risk when lifting something, anything really which is y you need a good core. when you were a belt doing curls you have to keep your back at a arch to support the weight that is in front of you in the curling motion .

now think about this. you have a very strong tree standing strait up to the sky with a very strong limb facing stait out. if you throw a ton of weight on the limb your not going to put much stress on the body of the tree but a ton of weight on the limb which if to much will snap. thats how a belt works making your posture and erect form stronger so that you can do those extra cheat curls if your arms are lacking or if you just want some extra strength in them. if you didnt have a belt using heavy weight it would try to brack that strick and erect form causing you to bend your back pop than your hurt and you cant move for a few min lol people lookin at you like y is he leaning kockied with that look on his face lol. yea it happend to me one time

well hoped that helped. i dont think im very good at explaining things inless im there lol

reconlife43
03-15-09, 4:25 pm
thanks bro that made since to me, good analogy for what u were explaining. soon as i get bac to the states ill be purchasing a belt...not trying to get that look lol

Fricano
04-01-09, 10:41 am
Should you wear a lifting belt? I have read lots of things from how wearing a belt will weaken your core muscles and it does not help it actually hurts you. Then I see all the pros who wear belts and say they would rather not hurt themselves and the belt will keep that from happening and that a belt keeps their waist smaller. What do you guys do? I bought a belt I would only use it on sets that get into the 6 rep range.

C.Coronato
04-01-09, 10:47 am
Everyone has their own opinions with it. I dont wear a belt unless 100% necessary. Like you do i only use it if im down to 6 rep range. That is what i like personally, but i know others who like to wear them. You transverse abdominis is an internal lifting belt. It is there to protect your core and keep you tight. The more you use a belt the more weak your transverse is going to become.

theharjmann
04-01-09, 10:48 am
Should you wear a lifting belt? I have read lots of things from how wearing a belt will weaken your core muscles and it does not help it actually hurts you. Then I see all the pros who wear belts and say they would rather not hurt themselves and the belt will keep that from happening and that a belt keeps their waist smaller. What do you guys do? I bought a belt I would only use it on sets that get into the 6 rep range.

i never use a belt because i never go below 3 reps.
i also never break form
i would rather do a little less weight than break form

i still want to engage as many muscles as i can to grow

but yeah the pros use belts but they are massive!

OverDose
06-16-09, 6:15 pm
I personally never use a belt because i feel that it will weaken my lower back by making it dependent on the belt, so i always do my squats and deads without a belt (i strive for perfect form of course), anybody else feel the same way as i do about this? with a belt i can increase the weight that i lift but i feel as if i'm cheating and the belt is doing alot of the work for me, and that i can gain more strength by not using a belt. Just wanted to hear you guys opinions on this. Overdose.

TigerAce01
06-16-09, 6:17 pm
I hate wearing belts. Even on my PR for deads (495lbs), I didn't wear a belt. It feels constrictive, it pinches my skin, and I just don't feel it helps me that much.

-Ace

Dedicated
06-16-09, 6:24 pm
To me, longevity and injury prevention means more than the supposed loss of strength in the core from using a belt. That being said, I don't use them on all my sets, but if I'm dealing with heavy weight (something that I can get around 1-5 reps) I always use it.

MVP
06-16-09, 6:29 pm
I personally never use a belt because i feel that it will weaken my lower back by making it dependent on the belt, so i always do my squats and deads without a belt (i strive for perfect form of course), anybody else feel the same way as i do about this? with a belt i can increase the weight that i lift but i feel as if i'm cheating and the belt is doing alot of the work for me, and that i can gain more strength by not using a belt. Just wanted to hear you guys opinions on this. Overdose.

You're right.. to an extent it will.

I'll tell you a story, my cousin got me into weightlifting. He's 6'0" and he weighs 195lbs, he's a powerlifter. His personal best/raw deadlift has been 505lbs. His workout partner always trained with a belt, his workout partner was 5'10" 185lbs... his personal best deadlift in a belt was 455. Well, they came down one time and decided to go to a gym, my cousin never trained in a belt... his friend always did. The first set my cousin always works out with 315 for 3 reps... then moved to 355 X 3, 405 X 3, then finishes up with 435 X 3. Well at the set where it was time to reach 355 X 3, my cousins friend grabbed a hold and was he was pulling up he immediately dropped - he damn near pulled out his back. So my suggestion, is please train raw.

BigChrisF
06-16-09, 11:29 pm
Belts are important tools for core stability. You shouldn't wear a belt from set 1, but at some point when the weight gets heavy, you should put one on. It's not cheating and you won't lose any low back strength by using one.

OverDose
06-16-09, 11:43 pm
hmmm i don't know, i just feel that you could benefit so much more from doing all of your deadlifts and squats raw (assuming you're using good form, of course), as you are utilizing your core and stabalizer muscles more...just a thought.

LegendKillerJosh
06-17-09, 12:26 am
You can strengthen your back other ways. For heavy squats and deads, protect yourself with a belt.

MVP
06-17-09, 1:27 am
This is what Eric Cressey says about using the belt:

This issue has been addressed quite a bit, but for some reason, the message never seems to hit home with people. Perhaps the problem is that a lot of the research cited only investigates the use of belts in workplace safety scenarios and not resistance training contexts.

As is the case with a lot of these adages, the decision to use or not use a belt is goal-dependent. First, let's make it clear that you should not be using a belt for anything below 90% of 1RM; for most, this comprises sets of more than three reps.

One of the most common misconceptions regarding belt use in a resistance training context is that simply because the belt assists in increasing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP), it must automatically reduce the compressive load on the spine. This is completely false; the belt certainly doesn't have a favorable impact on compressive forces, and may even increase the compressive load! (5)

It's readily apparent that wearing a belt has helped many lifters to move heavier weights than they would under "raw" conditions, but the question remains: do they decrease the risk of injury? Well, in consideration of the fact that they restrict the end of the range of motion in lumbar spine flexion, one would have to agree that they do, especially in those who cannot maintain a neutral spine.

Interestingly, this is one of the reasons belts can add pounds to your total; they facilitate the elastic response to torso flexion; the more neutral the spine is (as it should be), the less profound this effect is. Oddly enough, as McGill puts it, "to obtain the maximal effect from a belt, the lifter must lift poorly and in a way that exposed the back to a much higher risk of injury."(5)

An additional mechanism by which belts increase one's ability to move big weights are via expansion of the base of support to increase torso stiffness when placed under heavy loads. This stiffness helps to prevent the spine from buckling. (As someone with a pretty sound knowledge of biomechanics, I can assure you that buckling is a bad thing.) Belt use and "natural" methods to increase IAP are both effective in enhancing stability, both individually and in tandem.(8)

So what's the problem with belt use? It alters firing patterns such that the belt becomes a crutch, and important core musculature is not called upon to stabilize the spine. Considerable evidence exists to suggest that wearing a belt causes individuals to unknowingly alter their motor patterns.

Cholewicki et al. (1999) compared belt use and increasing intra-abdominal pressure "naturally" under situations where lumbar spine stability was challenged via a sudden load release (in either trunk flexion, extension, or lateral flexion). The investigators found that belt use caused activity to decrease for the thoracic erector spinae in extension and the lumbar erector spinae in flexion (8).

With all this in mind, here are four broad recommendations for belt use:

1. Gym-goers with purely physique benefits in mind have little to no use for belts.

2. Powerlifters and those most interested in optimizing strength should use belts as a means of increasing spinal stability only on their heaviest attempts. A noteworthy exception is when the belt is used to hold other equipment (e.g. squat suit, bench shirt) in place.

3. When used, belts should be coupled with natural methods of increasing IAP.

4. Use belts for winning competitions, not improving core strength.

Here is the link: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=40DB765C0F14CF773FA10207 9CED1FB6.hydra?id=603563

Big Wides
06-17-09, 6:26 am
Dude use a fucking belt, injury prevention is 100% the goal here and when you utilizie the belt properly your abs get stronger and for those wackjobs out there who say using a belt is considered "not a legit raw lift" are just that, wackjobs. I compete raw and use a belt, which if that makes my lifts count less or it makes me a pussy for using one then I guess I am.

But back to using a belt properly, when you are using a belt you flex your abs and push out against the walls of the belt when you squat or deadlift to increase your stability and pushing your abs out against the belt makes the lift eaiser. An example would be in the squat, as you unrack the weight flex your abs, keeping them tight on the desent and when you come up push your abs out against the belt for more stability and power. You'll be able to lift more weight, which equals bigger muscles. So use a fucking belt it will not take away anything from your lifts, physqiue or any of that other happy horseshit. It still makes your lifts raw if that is what your going for and keeps you safe, which keeps the muscles growing.

mritter3
06-17-09, 8:14 am
i dont wear a belt til i get to my heaviest lifts with squat and deads, i rely too much on my back, i feel a little more secure with the belt when there is a lot of weight.

WeeMan
06-17-09, 8:31 am
im with you overdose, using a belt does stunt the growth and strength of your back. and i just cant breath when im deadlifting with a belt. i use a belt when i squat though, for the one reason that i went for my ORM withouta belt and i swear i nearly slipped a disc or something!

OverDose
06-17-09, 9:44 am
Now don't get me wrong, if i am doing a set of 3 or less, i'll deffinatley use a belt because...well i'm not stupid lol. But i'm just saying if you're doing a set of more than 3 of squats and deadlifts and are able to keep your form clean, wouldn't it benefit you more to not use a belt?

J Wong
06-17-09, 10:03 am
Use a belt on your heavy sets. If you believe that you will get a weak core even while utilizing the belt correctly, do extra core work.

live2lift
06-17-09, 11:47 am
Dude use a fucking belt, injury prevention is 100% the goal here and when you utilizie the belt properly your abs get stronger and for those wackjobs out there who say using a belt is considered "not a legit raw lift" are just that, wackjobs. I compete raw and use a belt, which if that makes my lifts count less or it makes me a pussy for using one then I guess I am.

But back to using a belt properly, when you are using a belt you flex your abs and push out against the walls of the belt when you squat or deadlift to increase your stability and pushing your abs out against the belt makes the lift eaiser. An example would be in the squat, as you unrack the weight flex your abs, keeping them tight on the desent and when you come up push your abs out against the belt for more stability and power. You'll be able to lift more weight, which equals bigger muscles. So use a fucking belt it will not take away anything from your lifts, physqiue or any of that other happy horseshit. It still makes your lifts raw if that is what your going for and keeps you safe, which keeps the muscles growing.

Well said BW...I feel that if you are lifting a weight that takes you under 8 reps or so then use one. Too many people abuse the belt, wearing it for every set. That is where the problems arise...then you are relying too much on the belt. I use one, but only on my heaviest set of exercises that I feel put my lower back at risk.

IRBS
06-17-09, 12:14 pm
If you want to wear a belt, wear it. If you dont, then dont. You are not harming yourself by wearing a belt in any way, shape, form or fashion.

This isnt a difficult question to answer. Often times I notice that the guys who are pimping that "belts are bad, they make your 'core' weak'" are typically the weaker guys. I use a belt after I warmup for sets well below the 90% mentioned above.

Not saying you "have" to use a belt, I'm just saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with throwing a belt on.

miles123
06-18-09, 12:10 am
i personally dont use a belt here is why...
when i got knee surgery i was always told by my dr, pt, and lifting coaches to never use the knee braces since my knees would become more reliable on the braces to do the weight... i didnt listen and i used them, when i forgot to bring them one day i did squats with the weight i normally use and it was more difficult than normal. whether it was a mental thing or not i dont know. from then on i have never lifted with braces.
i tried using a belt the other day i never noticed anything different.
i think it is a personal opinion whether to use a belt or not. all i know is that i lift the weight that i know i can get back up with proper technique.

LegendKillerJosh
06-18-09, 1:14 am
Dudes, people who don't use a belt to strengthen their back are the same people who don't use straps to strengthen their forearms. Train forearms seperately and make sure your fucking grip doesn't give out before you lats. Train lower back seperatley and make sure your fucking spine doesn't snap when you are squatting 500lbs.

Max-Angle
01-17-10, 7:36 pm
Should I wear one?

Muscleguy93
01-17-10, 8:50 pm
if you use good form you shouldnt have too.

Fury317
01-17-10, 9:02 pm
For a long time I would have said no, BUT I recently started using one again, and must admit it feels a lot better AND a lot SAFER. I definitely don't wear it on anything I dont need, but for sure squats, sometimes deads, and sometimes shrugs but thats about it.

mcbeast
01-17-10, 9:07 pm
They have theyre place for heavy squats and deadlifts. Not all sets, but when your going for your heaviest set its a good idea. Overall, Wear one. Your back will thank you in 20 years.

etank
01-17-10, 9:07 pm
I'd recommend using it as little as possible. You might want to experiment with one when you start to lift real heavy weight, but for day to day training it could hinder the development of your supportive/core muscles.

I've met hardcore guys that swear by them and others who never use them at all....I guess it comes down to your own preference or necessity.

Stay Strong

BionicMasterPiece
01-17-10, 10:27 pm
Should I wear one?

for your heavy squats,deads,military,shrugs,cleans....yes wear it only on those lifts

Max-Angle
01-17-10, 10:47 pm
I'd recommend using it as little as possible. You might want to experiment with one when you start to lift real heavy weight, but for day to day training it could hinder the development of your supportive/core muscles.

I've met hardcore guys that swear by them and others who never use them at all....I guess it comes down to your own preference or necessity.

Stay Strong

Until im pushing monsterishly huge weight or before i know for a fact i need one ill go without, i don't want my back to give out in twenty years because my core wasn't strong enough, period.

BionicMasterPiece
01-17-10, 11:16 pm
Until im pushing monsterishly huge weight or before i know for a fact i need one ill go without, i don't want my back to give out in twenty years because my core wasn't strong enough, period.

Smart choices are made everyday.....kudos to you.

Littlefry
01-17-10, 11:19 pm
I would reccommend not using one unless you are lifting 400lbs+ for reps on your major compounds lifts. The main reasons I suggest not to use one is because naturally you will develope a stronger core, and this is accomplished by you intra-abdominal pressure system.

Which basically builds up air pressure in your abdominal cavity and Diaphragm in turn placing pressure on your core muscles as well as the erector muscle of the back. Wearing a belt can change the natural of this intra-abdominal pressure, so as stated previously unless you are using very heavy weight I would hold off on the belt for now.

Max-Angle
01-17-10, 11:19 pm
Smart choices are made everyday.....kudos to you.

Thanks man

Kryptonite
01-17-10, 11:21 pm

Hahaha, what?

Get a belt. The weight may not be heavy for IFBB pros, but it is for you.

Put one on and squat. For me, it has a great feel. I can focus more on my quads.

NaturalTrainee
01-18-10, 7:36 am
Well, if your form is questionable yes. If not, I wouldn't recommend it since it doesn't allow the participation of the lower back.

fenix237
01-18-10, 11:13 am
I would reccommend not using one unless you are lifting 400lbs+ for reps on your major compounds lifts. The main reasons I suggest not to use one is because naturally you will develope a stronger core, and this is accomplished by you intra-abdominal pressure system.

Which basically builds up air pressure in your abdominal cavity and Diaphragm in turn placing pressure on your core muscles as well as the erector muscle of the back. Wearing a belt can change the natural of this intra-abdominal pressure, so as stated previously unless you are using very heavy weight I would hold off on the belt for now.

x1

i agree with Lil'fry- i think until you have conditioned yourself to the point of being able to rep 3/4 pies on the big 3, i would say rarely use a belt (don't know your what your lifts are). yes, it feels good and secure, allowing you to add weight, BUT that's not the point. you must be patient and let your body do it's thing- adapt (same holds true for lifting straps)

you need to build up your own 'internal belt' at the novice level- it will only make you that much stronger when you start using a belt, AND you will likely be more injury free. at minimum, use a belt for only your most demanding set or 2 IMO

Razor
01-18-10, 11:27 am
Personally i only wear a belt when i'm into my really heavy sets. Other than that i don't really worry about it. Guess its just all in how you feel, but at the same time you don't want to risk hurting your back period.

WeeMan
01-18-10, 1:18 pm
Use a belt on your heavy sets. If you believe that you will get a weak core even while utilizing the belt correctly, do extra core work.

thats a total waste of time. someone said to me once that using straps makes lateral raises easier, and in reply to me saying that your grip should be strong enough they said 'just do forearm excercises'
its just stupid. why do extra work on a bodypart later when you could be doing it now!

The_Legacy
01-18-10, 1:51 pm
i'm not ashamed to say i use a belt. i only use it when lifting heavy though.

IRBS
01-18-10, 2:04 pm
Using a belt will not make your core weak. Generally speaking, most of the guys advocating to never use a belt are pretty weak.

If you want to use a belt, use one. If not, don't. But saying that using a belt will give you a weak core is categorically false.

TigerAce01
01-18-10, 2:23 pm
Using a belt will not make your core weak. Generally speaking, most of the guys advocating to never use a belt are pretty weak.

If you want to use a belt, use one. If not, don't. But saying that using a belt will give you a weak core is categorically false.

In my experience, to use a belt correctly, you must already have a strong core, mostly in order to push your abs and obliques against the belt. Most people think that just slapping a belt on will do the job, but it actually takes some technique and getting used to in order to fully take advantage of it.

-Ace

IRBS
01-18-10, 2:55 pm
In my experience, to use a belt correctly, you must already have a strong core, mostly in order to push your abs and obliques against the belt. Most people think that just slapping a belt on will do the job, but it actually takes some technique and getting used to in order to fully take advantage of it.

-Ace

Agree...mist people do not know how to use it correctly.

MELTDOWN
01-18-10, 2:57 pm
Agree...mist people do not know how to use it correctly.

I agree 100%. BTW who are these MIST people you speak of... the gathering beyond we mere mortals ??....LOL

fenix237
01-18-10, 3:48 pm
weightlifting belts have their place- but not in the very beginning. too often i see novices in the gym wearing a thick powerlifting belt while squatting 185lbs (along w/gloves). part of the appeal is the 'look'

i'm not disrespecting anyone- it's a mistake i made way back- my head was all pumped up into the iron game, i bought all kinds of mags, supps, belt, lifting straps, knee wraps etc...a waste at that point

omfgapolarbear
01-18-10, 4:50 pm
any body have any suggestions on where to buy one???? Things to look for and so on?

Inzer and ATP belts are quite good.

I use a belt on heavy triples and singles. For everything else, I don't feel I need it and feel it would be a detriment to the development of my core strength.

Joe J
06-14-10, 12:06 pm
I have recently been saving to buy a weight belt to help aid me in heavy squats and deadlifts, as sometimes I find the pressure on my lower back too much. However, when looking over the internet I have found many things to support or not to support the use of a weights belt, and i'd like your opinions!
Also, I have an 'S-Shaped' backbone that I have recieved through my bad posture throughout my life, and the wearing of a weights belt would help to restore this.
What do you think?

adidas
06-14-10, 12:23 pm
I have recently been saving to buy a weight belt to help aid me in heavy squats and deadlifts, as sometimes I find the pressure on my lower back too much. However, when looking over the internet I have found many things to support or not to support the use of a weights belt, and i'd like your opinions!
Also, I have an 'S-Shaped' backbone that I have recieved through my bad posture throughout my life, and the wearing of a weights belt would help to restore this.
What do you think?

THIS is what matters most of all in your query...once this is FIXED...then worry about the use of the belt (or lack of use)

BamBam
06-15-10, 5:34 pm
I will simply state that some of the strongest and the strongest men in the world (record wise and event wise) wear belts. Also, something to look into for those who like to wear belts, are the REHBAND lower back supports. Some are basically just like sleeves and others have some belts built on. Im going to get a sleeve myself and wear my powerlifting belt over it. The REHBAND material is top of the mountain type shit for me and I wear the knee and elbow sleeves when I workout and my joints don't NEARLY hurt like they did before I got them.

For those of you who don't know what this is, watch the WORLDS STRONGEST MAN competition and they r the bright blue sleeves the athletes wear. They are NOT supports like knee or elbow wraps. All the rehband sleeves do are take some of the blood inside the muscles and put it in and around the joints. Also, the warmth on your joints is incredible. They won't make you lift more or help like a true wrap, but the health benefits are a better aspect IMHO. Any more questions hit me up..

IN IRON,
BB-