PDA

View Full Version : Shake before/after cardio?

JHOORNSTRA
01-28-07, 8:13 pm
Yo guys. I always wondered this. When Im cutting, I do 45 minutes cardio after my workout. But I know that there is like a 30 minute window after your workout to drink your whey protein. So should I be drinking my shake and then doin cardio? Or is it ok to do 45 minutes cardio...then take the shake?

Gfactor
01-28-07, 10:28 pm
Yo guys. I always wondered this. When Im cutting, I do 45 minutes cardio after my workout. But I know that there is like a 30 minute window after your workout to drink your whey protein. So should I be drinking my shake and then doin cardio? Or is it ok to do 45 minutes cardio...then take the shake?

I recommend eating a high protein meal before hand. Enough to keep you going through your workout. If you do cardio a lot I recommend buying a home cardio system so you can do it in the mourning or a different time then when doing weights.

speedster00
01-29-07, 12:06 am
I drink my during cardio or ASAP when I'm done. But I never skip it. Sinc I work out between 1-3pm, I make my PWO shake my last carb load of the day.....when I'm cuting.

gsb239
01-29-07, 12:34 am
I've also been wondering this. Thanks for posting the topic!
What I'm doing right now is eating my meal an hour before weights and then after weights I take some BCAAs (eg. Nitro), do my cardio and then have a shake.
Do you guys add simple carbs to your PW shake when cutting or not?

BradPDX
01-29-07, 2:28 am
If I am just doing a cardio day I try to do it in the morning and normally on an empty stomach as I feel better doing that. But immediately after finishing cardio (regardless of time) I take in a whey shake but no simple carbs. On days I lift I have food or a shake at least an hour before. And if I do some cardio in conjunction with lifting I do it afterwards. But in either case I immediately take in a whey shake with some dextrose when done. I have been cutting for the last 5 weeks and have been losing bf and doing as I described so working for me.

speedster00
01-29-07, 11:40 am
I've also been wondering this. Thanks for posting the topic!
What I'm doing right now is eating my meal an hour before weights and then after weights I take some BCAAs (eg. Nitro), do my cardio and then have a shake.
Do you guys add simple carbs to your PW shake when cutting or not?

Yes. Always take your carbs post work out. Just try to limit it.

Redman
02-01-07, 3:13 pm
Should I take my PWO shake right after my lifting on the way to my cardio, or should I do my cardio first and then take it?

Maximus
02-01-07, 3:20 pm
I take mine after cardio...

gBloodWill3
04-07-07, 1:30 pm
I currently do cardio after my weight workout. My cardio session usually lasts 30-45 min. Should I down a whey protein shake right after lifting or after cardio? My goal is to become leaner, but I feel that I should get that protein in me and a form of simple carbs immediately after the weights. Will taking these carbs and shake make me burn less calories from fat during my cardio session?

Toni69
04-07-07, 1:41 pm
I also do my cardio right after I lift, then I down storm and starting Monday, Cuts too. Then I wait about 20-30min and I drink my whey shake with raw oats.

Giant Killer
04-07-07, 1:59 pm
How many carbs does your post workout shake have?

Toni69
04-07-07, 2:06 pm
For me, it depends if I am on a low carb day or a high day. I will add 1/2cup raw oats if I am on a high day, 1/4cup raw oats for a low day. So, my post workout shake ranges between 23g carbs to 33g carbs.

Giant Killer
04-07-07, 2:10 pm
For me, it depends if I am on a low carb day or a high day. I will add 1/2cup raw oats if I am on a high day, 1/4cup raw oats for a low day. So, my post workout shake ranges between 23g carbs to 33g carbs.

No, I mean the poster, sorry I didn't specify. I ask because, if your post-workout shake is low in carbs, you don't have to worry so much about taking it before cardio. If it's high in carbs, your just burning up the carbs you wanted to go to your muscles.

Either way I wait until after cardio like Toni advised. As long as your cardio session is 45 min or less the stretch is not a big deal.

The_Beast
04-07-07, 2:24 pm
Have you Ever Drank 8-12Oz. of Milk, and then Ran, Swam, or Jogged for 30-45minutes. Not a Great thing. Save the shake for later.-

The_Beast

Toni69
04-07-07, 3:19 pm
Have you Ever Drank 8-12Oz. of Milk, and then Ran, Swam, or Jogged for 30-45minutes. Not a Great thing. Save the shake for later.-

The_Beast

Really good point! LOL

billmd1334
04-07-07, 3:58 pm
I drink my PWO shake after I'm finished both lifting and cardio... that way your body is completely done and ready to begin recovering

Dobby
04-07-07, 4:00 pm
its certainly an interesting question. there have been a couple of studies published recently looking at the effect the timing of supplementation has rather than just looking into the effects of supplementation itself. these studies concluded that it was more beneficial to take your PW shake before training, if it consists of simple sugars and high bio-available proteins (such as whey). obviously if it has say 100g of oats in it you would not want to consume that before any type of intense training.

so recently i tried this and found beneficial results. my immediate PW consists of whey, dextrose and water and i found that i was able to exercise for longer and harder having consumed my shake around 20mins BEFORE starting lifting - i then had a 'mass gain' shake about 45mins after training. i would encourage other people to try this - maybe split it half and half if you are unwilling to not consume anything directly after training i know i was

gBloodWill3
04-08-07, 1:11 am

Usually, I drink a whey protein shake and combine it with half a 20 oz. sports drink (22g carbs). Aren't simple sugars better than complex carbs such as oats post workout? I've also read that when great amounts of fiber are consumed after exercise, insulin release is slower, whereas this is the best time to spike them. Is this true?

Toni69
04-08-07, 5:40 am
Usually, I drink a whey protein shake and combine it with half a 20 oz. sports drink (22g carbs). Aren't simple sugars better than complex carbs such as oats post workout? I've also read that when great amounts of fiber are consumed after exercise, insulin release is slower, whereas this is the best time to spike them. Is this true?

Your right but I am dieting for a show in 8wks..so I stay away from all simple sugars now. I use solid food as my main source of fuel now. I only intake one shake and thats right after I train, after storm and cuts. I also use the quick cooking one minute raw oats which are ground to a finer grain and faster digesting as opposed to regular oats, that are not ground and are slower digesting (which is what I would eat with breakfast or dinner).

Ricky P
04-09-07, 12:18 am

Directly after a workout is the best time to spike insulin levels, and probably the only time you should do so. That is true. I usually down white bread after a workout but at any other time of the day it's going to be whole wheat. You want insulin levels to spike to help rush the blood and nutrients to your muscles after a workout.

Toni69
04-09-07, 5:56 am
The body's main priority post-workout is to replenish glycogen stores. The body stores glycogen in two places: in the liver and in muscle tissue. Of these two, the muscles can store a far greater amount. Moreover, it is primarily muscle glycogen that is depleted during a workout.

Post-workout is the one time that high-glycemic carbs are preferred. This term refers to carbs that are high on the glycemic index. This is a measure of how quickly a food raises blood sugar and hence insulin levels. Normally, throught out your day, its best to eat lower glycemic foods so as not to initiate an insulin spike. But post-workout, the exact opposite is true. The elevated insulin levels will help to drive nutrients into the muscle cells.

Moreover, speed is of the essence. It is vital to get the carbs to the muscle cells as quickly as possible. And again, high-glycemic carbs are preferred to lower glycemic carbs for this purpose.

Usually, when one thinks of high-glycemic carbs one thinks of simple sugars. However, most simple sugars would not be beneficial to consume post-workout. Non-beneficial sugars would include fructose, sucrose, and lactose.

As for the first, fructose ("fruit sugar") is very low-glycemic as compared to other sugars. So it is not digested quickly and does not significantly raise insulin levels. What this means is that fruit juice is not exactly the best source of carbs for the post-workout drink. Sources like soda are surely not a good form of simple sugars because its just junk!

So, complex carbs like those found in breads and cereals can be used to restore muscle glycogen. And at other times, complex carbs are the best source of carbs. However, post-workout, healthy carb containing foods like whole grain breads and cereals would not be good. As Ricky P mentioned earlier, white bread is fine..in my case, dieting for a show..its not. I wont eat any bread at all.

You cant go wrong with a liquid post workout shake and a combo of dextrose (which is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream) and malodextrin (which is slower than dextrose since the liver has to break this down first, but it still raises blood sugar and insulin levels as much as dextrose does). This is a main reason why the new Universal PWO shake is so amazing..Torrent has it all.

gBloodWill3
04-09-07, 2:43 pm
Moreover, speed is of the essence. It is vital to get the carbs to the muscle cells as quickly as possible. And again, high-glycemic carbs are preferred to lower glycemic carbs for this purpose.

Usually, when one thinks of high-glycemic carbs one thinks of simple sugars. However, most simple sugars would not be beneficial to consume post-workout. Non-beneficial sugars would include fructose, sucrose, and lactose.
(as quoted by Toni69)

What other sources high-glycemic carbs are beneficial? Like I mentioned before, I take a sports drink such as Powerade, which I assume has sugars that are sucrose, and basically junk. How bout eating a banana or a white potato? They have a pretty high GI. Are liquid carbs better absorbed than solid food pwo? And like you said, speed is of the essence. This is what puzzles me. I feel that I waste time not getting fuel to my muscles when I instead do cardio and use more fuel up.
Thanks for your posts. They're very helpful.

Toni69
04-09-07, 2:50 pm
Hey, I dont mean to sound like a know-it-all..believe me..I learn something new everyday when it comes to diet and all this stuff. I do loads of research plus I learn through trial and error myself. Check out J-Dawg's post in this thread..its kinda funny because we both posted today the same idea but in different threads...great minds think alike huh? LOL...Well, he summed it up dam good here.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=5090

TufffGuY
04-09-07, 5:34 pm
The body's main priority post-workout is to replenish glycogen stores. The body stores glycogen in two places: in the liver and in muscle tissue. Of these two, the muscles can store a far greater amount. Moreover, it is primarily muscle glycogen that is depleted during a workout.

Post-workout is the one time that high-glycemic carbs are preferred. This term refers to carbs that are high on the glycemic index. This is a measure of how quickly a food raises blood sugar and hence insulin levels. Normally, throught out your day, its best to eat lower glycemic foods so as not to initiate an insulin spike. But post-workout, the exact opposite is true. The elevated insulin levels will help to drive nutrients into the muscle cells.

As for the first, fructose ("fruit sugar") is very low-glycemic as compared to other sugars. So it is not digested quickly and does not significantly raise insulin levels. What this means is that fruit juice is not exactly the best source of carbs for the post-workout drink. Sources like soda are surely not a good form of simple sugars because its just junk!

So, complex carbs like those found in breads and cereals can be used to restore muscle glycogen. And at other times, complex carbs are the best source of carbs. However, post-workout, healthy carb containing foods like whole grain breads and cereals would not be good. As Ricky P mentioned earlier, white bread is fine..in my case, dieting for a show..its not. I wont eat any bread at all.

You cant go wrong with a liquid post workout shake and a combo of dextrose (which is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream) and malodextrin (which is slower than dextrose since the liver has to break this down first, but it still raises blood sugar and insulin levels as much as dextrose does). This is a main reason why the new Universal PWO shake is so amazing..Torrent has it all.

Good point, felloz listen to Toni she knows what shes talkin about

tbone
04-09-07, 8:58 pm
I am generally doing two cardio sessions now, one after i lift and another later on in the evening. now, my question is, during a diet, what do you eat after the second cardio session? do you treat it as you would a lifting session and take in a good amount of carbs or not? Or should I just stick to BCAA's and protein after the later session? I just started thinking of this because I am about to do my second session soon.

stumblin54
04-09-07, 9:25 pm
Does your second session follow your training?

tbone
04-09-07, 10:44 pm
Nope I lift early in the day and do cardio immediately after that...Then I do cardio later in the evening by itself.. and i'm wondering what would be the best post-cardio nutrition for my second cardio session.

tbone
04-10-07, 12:16 am
i guess in a more simple form my question is what do you guys eat/what is recommended after a cardio only session in regards to nutrition?

born0withno0soul
04-10-07, 3:35 am
keep going as normal. you dont need a post-workout meal for just cardio. cardio is no where near as fatiguing as weightlifting. after your second time of cardio just eat your normal meals.

hjayss
04-10-07, 4:01 am
I replenish my carbs with a shake sip real slow so your body will not store anything so I do that over a 45 minute period throw down somoe bcaa and maybe a peanut butter sandwhich to clean out the pipes.

dIdDy
04-10-07, 5:09 am
after cardio only, I throw some oats in my shake and have a chicken breat afterwards...

cornfed86
03-10-08, 10:09 pm
ok here's somethin that's been racking my mind for a while. normall i do weights, then take in like 40g of whey, then do cardio. should i switch the shake to after cardio?

Pizzalamp
03-10-08, 10:11 pm
ok here's somethin that's been racking my mind for a while. normall i do weights, then take in like 40g of whey, then do cardio. should i switch the shake to after cardio?

i would-and depending on ya diet-add some carbs to that shake
u could have some aminos before cardio if u want

LegendKillerJosh
03-10-08, 10:14 pm
I would either save the cardio for a different time than after the weights or wait to drink the shake, because cardio with that shake in your gut is bad news.

GJN5002
03-10-08, 10:40 pm
drinking the shake between defeats the purpose of doing the cardio. After weight training glycogen levels are depleted and youre prob as close to being on an empty stomach as possible (in essence mimicking cardio in the a.m. on an emtpy stomach). SO hit the weights, hit some aminos like pizzalamp said, then hit the cardio, after go for the shake.

Polish Prince
03-11-08, 2:13 pm
lift then do cardio, that way your glycogen levels are depleted and you actually burn fat. if you take the shake between lifting and cardio you are just going to burn off shit from the shake you just took

Toni69
03-11-08, 2:20 pm
Personally, and again we all have our ways of doing shit and we know what works for us individually, there really isnt a rule of thumb here unless your dieting for a show; I take in my post wo shake and supps after all my training is done. So, I do cardio post lifting...then my shake, then my meal about an hour and half after that shake. This works for me though.

I could not drink a shake and then do cardio..I would be sick! LOL

I eat a pretty solid meal containing a substantial balance of protein, fats and carbs pre wo that Im good till Im completely done training...then I take in the post wo shake with a Nitro pak/Animal pak, right after. Also, during my wo, I sip off a mixture of Shock Therapy, Storm and EAA's.

gsb239
03-11-08, 2:47 pm
I lift, take some bcaas, do my cardio and then have a protein, carb and glutamine shake.

I'm with Toni.. I think I'd feel sick if I had my shake and then did cardio.

bovat
03-11-08, 3:08 pm
ya, the cardio will just burn through the shake, then you will need to replenish once again, save postworkout nutrition for after all your lifting and cardio.

cornfed86
03-11-08, 3:25 pm
haha i'm on dieting down now so carbs are at a minimum still. i've been drinking the shake after lifting because i still have a pump and figured that the blood flowing to my muscles need a little something in it. as for the cardio after the shake, i just burp a whole shitload haha people look at me but whatever. i'm gonna try the bcaa's after weights and before cardio though. thanks brothers you've been a big help

bovat
03-11-08, 3:29 pm
the cardio isnt as effective if you hit the shake before it. So if you want to take somthing, than some bcaas sounds solid.

swartz77
06-19-08, 6:46 am
ok, so we all know it's best to do the cardio after the lifting, but when do you take the post workout shake, after the cardio or after the lifting?

Pizzalamp
06-19-08, 10:55 am
ok, so we all know it's best to do the cardio after the lifting, but when do you take the post workout shake, after the cardio or after the lifting?

i like to take the shake after cardio

Lunatic001
06-19-08, 11:05 am
I agree with pizza....I don't like a full stomach when doing cardio, that is my view....but find what works for you...

FREEK
06-19-08, 12:07 pm
after lifting though you can take something like eaa stack, or some sort of eaa's. That will help you stay more anabollic through your cardio.peace

Cstlfx
06-19-08, 12:12 pm
after lifting though you can take something like eaa stack, or some sort of eaa's. That will help you stay more anabollic through your cardio.peace

This is excellent advice, especially when cutting. You want to get some sort of EAA's in before doing cardio so it doesnt break down your muscle for fuel.

shizz702
06-19-08, 3:39 pm
Depends on your goal. If you are going on an all out cut then after cardio. However if you are in a bulking or a maintenance phase, I would probably want to take a shake during lifting or before the cardio so you don't lose too much weight.

ChandlerXJ
06-19-08, 4:13 pm
Simply put, if you eat too soon before training, or right before cardio, you're gonna burn what you ate FIRST...

sideburnz
08-10-09, 6:11 pm
Hey bros.. i really don't know if i should post this on the diet column or here.. but i'm guessing its here.. anyway here's my dilemma.. i'm trying to cut now.. so i'm doing cardio 5 times a week..3times of which falls on the training days.. i wanna do my cardio right after my training.. my question is that, should i take my protein shake straightaway after my training or after the cardio? i know its necessary to have some sorta supplement in your body within 30minutes after training.. and my cardio is exactly 30mins..

Ironjaw
08-10-09, 6:13 pm
cardio counts as training in my book

sideburnz
08-10-09, 7:01 pm
cardio counts as training in my book

hmm okay.. thanks for that but it didnt answer my question..

Ironjaw
08-10-09, 7:12 pm
hmm okay.. thanks for that but it didnt answer my question..

it does actually your stomach will toss that shake right back at you if you take it then do cardio .... besides the window only counts when the body stops tearing itself down

jesse45690
08-10-09, 10:42 pm
your cardio is training. as long as you take your pwo meal wether its a shake or food within 30 minutes after you get done with cardio you should be fine.

Ady
08-11-09, 6:19 am
within 30mins of finishing cardio and ya should be good

sideburnz
08-11-09, 12:13 pm
do you guys do that for yourselves too?

fenix237
08-11-09, 1:31 pm
sideburnz- if you're concerned about muscle catabolism during your cardio session, a lot of athletes take in some aminos (EAA&BCAA) in a drink or a pak or two of Nitro before they start their cardio after weight training. after your 30 mins is over- take your normal PWO drink/shake/meal

also, remember not to go beyond 120/130 BPM during your cardio session if your goal is to burn bodyfat- if you go much above that, you'll burn muscle

msktyshha
08-11-09, 10:50 pm
dats a veryy toughh question ..a question dat i was dieng to find the answer for thanx for posting.........theres 2 ways 1) do weights den cardio for abt 25mins instead of 45 and take the shake ryte after so deres a 45 min window u'll hit it after 25 mins. but if ur cutting and all n u dun wana decrease ur cardio then...2) do weights and take half of ur protein and bcaa+glutamine do cardio and ryte after cardio take the rest of ur protein+ur simple and/or complex carbs. orrrr like mentioned before don;t do cardio ryte after weights