PDA

View Full Version : Making Use of Widowmakers

pmug0000
02-09-08, 11:16 pm
I was just wondering how often, and for what bodyparts/exercises do ya'll use widowmakers?

I personally think they are great after a few sets of heavy squats, then I also like to do them for other leg exercises like Stiff-leg DL's and leg extensions, and leg press.

I don't really do them for upper body, except for some high-rep sets for shoulders or back. I never really do 20+ reps for arms or chest, but I am wondering if I should be. Sure I'll do some sets of about 15 for arms and chest, but I never really thought that 20+ was good for these body parts.

What do you guys think? What exercises are the best to make use of widowmakers on, and how many will you incorporate into the same training session?
Thanks for any input.

Madcat
02-10-08, 9:19 am
I believe actually in the DC training manual they state that this shouldnt be used with DLs and back exercises. More for like quads, etc.

I know I use them on squats/whatever quad exercise Im doing for them, and arms, chest, thats about it.

I love um.

Maccabee
02-10-08, 11:03 am
I use them on everything...I think its important to apply a little bit of everything here and there. Drop sets, super sets, etc...

ANewBreed
04-08-08, 1:32 am
I recently converted to DC and today was quad, hammy, bi, forearm day. It was also squat day. I've never done anything this intense, and I clearly why I see they do not reccommend it to anyone who's been training less than 3 years (I've been training 4). I immediately decided to push myself to the limit and set my set of 6 for 300. With other programs I made excuses not to go too heavy, but DC inspired me to make no excuses and to push myself. I banged out the 6, barely surviving the 6th rep. First goal accomplished. Now onto unexplored territory. I've never tangoed with this kind of intensity but I was already pumped and ready to try anything. I was shooting for doing 225 for my widow maker, but after some careful thought, expierience kicked in and told me to go down a notch to 205. This turned out to be the perfect decision. By 10 I was already hurting. I hit 2 more for 12 and really began to fight myself mentally. As I did small restpauses of 2 reps at a time, I felt my legs begin to weaken. By 16 my legs were shot on my mind was the only thing keeping me in it. At 18 I seriously contemplated racking the weight. But then, like a flip of a switch, I said fuck it and blasted out the final two reps. I racked it and feel to my knees trying to catch my breath. Thats the kind of shit that keeps you addicted to the gym.

violator
04-08-08, 9:57 am
haha...good ol widowmakers....not for the faint hearted...

Barker
04-08-08, 12:38 pm
doesnt matter who you are, widowmakers on squats are a mother.

rhane
04-08-08, 1:51 pm
sweet.

bigla2004
04-08-08, 2:42 pm
Sounds about right.. dc is great man.. welcome

ANewBreed
04-08-08, 6:49 pm
oh yeah on a sidenote, my first thought after completing the set was how spot on ironshaolin's description was..."you'll be huffing and puffing like a locomotive" haha

Pigskinmuscle
07-17-10, 10:04 pm
Anyone here do them every now and then? Have any on video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSW3Jxm3FI

I went for 20 reps but lost control after 18.... let's hear your experiences!

mritter3
07-17-10, 11:05 pm
ran dc about a year ago...widowmakers are a bitch....but a great way to end a workout.

Pigskinmuscle
07-17-10, 11:53 pm
ran dc about a year ago...widowmakers are a bitch....but a great way to end a workout.

one of the best ways to test mental strength!

mritter3
07-18-10, 11:43 am
one of the best ways to test mental strength!

thats for sure man.

strivin for more
07-18-10, 1:12 pm
crazy stuff man.. nice work in that vid.

Pigskinmuscle
07-18-10, 10:04 pm
crazy stuff man.. nice work in that vid.

thanks man.

theharjmann
07-19-10, 7:14 am
I dont understand why they are given a fancy name such as "widowmakers".

In my opinion they are just an intense set that we all should be incorporating into all of our workouts if we want to grow and be the best.

Nevertheless, fucking amazing work for an 18 year old. Your depth was fucking awesome for every rep.

If I had one criticism it would be to incorporate some cardio and shed some fat in order to improve cardiovascular health. Do that, and you will bang up 20+ reps with ease! And when you drop the bar behind you, be careful; just let it go and keep your arms and shoulders forward; you dont want to fuck your shoulder joints up.

Keep pushing man. What is your goal anyway? As in what are you training for?

P.S. I loved the little drunken dance you did at the end after you dropped the bar. I couldnt stop laughing haha.

barbell
07-19-10, 8:35 am

I don't understand why you gave yourself the name "the harjmann"

I don't understand why they spell it FORVM instead of FORUM

I don't understand why you would ask such a silly question.

Pigskinmuscle
07-19-10, 9:13 am

In my opinion they are just an intense set that we all should be incorporating into all of our workouts if we want to grow and be the best.

Nevertheless, fucking amazing work for an 18 year old. Your depth was fucking awesome for every rep.

If I had one criticism it would be to incorporate some cardio and shed some fat in order to improve cardiovascular health. Do that, and you will bang up 20+ reps with ease! And when you drop the bar behind you, be careful; just let it go and keep your arms and shoulders forward; you dont want to fuck your shoulder joints up.

Keep pushing man. What is your goal anyway? As in what are you training for?

P.S. I loved the little drunken dance you did at the end after you dropped the bar. I couldnt stop laughing haha.

they are called widowmakers because the goal is to take a weight you normally do 10 with and go for 20... if done right, you don't ever want to do them again....

i look more bloated in the video than i do in real life haha.... i had a pretty dirty cheat day before this took place... lots of carbs

i didn't intend to drop the bar.. i've broken both wrists and reinjured them many times playing football and they just gave out on me..

i am coming off a season ending injury to my right ankle and i am comimg back stronger than ever for my freshman year of college football

haha i was so out of it i couldn't walk straight... every reaction after a 20 rep squat is real.. people don't bullshit their post squat status!

Birdman
07-19-10, 9:44 am
I feel ya brother, last week I did 4 sets of 20 with a weight I can get 12 with. Passed out on set 4 rep 13. Luckily I racked it and found a bench just in time. Woke up, dropped 10 lbs and banged out 8 more. Great video man.

theharjmann
07-19-10, 9:58 am
they are called widowmakers because the goal is to take a weight you normally do 10 with and go for 20... if done right, you don't ever want to do them again....

i look more bloated in the video than i do in real life haha.... i had a pretty dirty cheat day before this took place... lots of carbs

i didn't intend to drop the bar.. i've broken both wrists and reinjured them many times playing football and they just gave out on me..

i am coming off a season ending injury to my right ankle and i am comimg back stronger than ever for my freshman year of college football

haha i was so out of it i couldn't walk straight... every reaction after a 20 rep squat is real.. people don't bullshit their post squat status!

Awesome. Very inspiring. Keep it up!

Cstlfx
07-19-10, 3:33 pm
I don't understand why they spell it FORVM instead of FORUM

In classic latin the letter "V" was their letter "U". The spelling ties in with the whole theme.

RogueLion
07-19-10, 4:05 pm
@ pigskinmuscle..cool video dude. Are you korean? Koreans always have huge legs and calves. I'm envious.

@ widowmakers...I only do them for squats...I started doing 225 for 20 and after a month I abandoned the widowmaker 20 rep concept and starting pushing myself for reps. The most I did was 225x50 after my working sets. So fucking tough.

@ Widowmakers for upperbody...Sometimes I do a burnout on bench with 225 just like a rep test, usually hit 20-25. But I would be too worried about injuring something to do a true widowmaker with benching. I've already torn my pec once. When bulking 315 for rep burnout is also niiiice.

Cstlfx
07-19-10, 4:26 pm
crap, cant believe I forgot to add my comment on the video!

Very impressive olympic squats. I'm wondering one thing, was it easier to breathe when you put your head down? I've found it easier to breathe by sticking my chest out and bringing my chin up.

May I also say, very ballsy doing widowmakers with no spotter! Keep it up. When do we get to see the video of 405 widowmakers?

Pigskinmuscle
07-19-10, 4:49 pm
@ pigskinmuscle..cool video dude. Are you korean? Koreans always have huge legs and calves. I'm envious.

haha yea. i started lifting my freshman year of high school and all i did were squats, incline bench, deadlift, and calf raises.. i used to bike 8 miles uphill everyday freshman year during two a days....

I used to have bigger legs and calves but they shrunk 2 inches after my season ending injury... used to be 30 inch quads and 21 inch calves.. bringing them up again is pretty slow.....

crap, cant believe I forgot to add my comment on the video!

Very impressive olympic squats. I'm wondering one thing, was it easier to breathe when you put your head down? I've found it easier to breathe by sticking my chest out and bringing my chin up.

May I also say, very ballsy doing widowmakers with no spotter! Keep it up. When do we get to see the video of 405 widowmakers?

yea for me its easier to breathe looking down because i have the bar up higher on my traps than most people.. plus my upper back was shot from the previous workout, making it even harder to stay tight. since its offseason and im out of high school, i have no one to lift with so i only use a spotter on bench because i can bail from any other lift if things go wrong.... im hoping to hit 405 next offseason but at the moment, i never want to touch anything higher than 8 reps!!!!

Pigskinmuscle
07-19-10, 4:52 pm
In classic latin the letter "V" was their letter "U". The spelling ties in with the whole theme.

barbell's just responding to the other guy asking why widowmakers are given a fancy name.... hehe