PDA

View Full Version : Metal Turns to Ash

MetalAsh12
02-16-08, 12:58 am
I had a journey in this section a while back, and I ceased the updates as I grew busier and busier...the notes stopped, but the training kept going. Well, here I am, 14 pounds later, ready to let you in on my training.

I've recently made the switch from a bodybuilding perspective to more of a powerlifting perspective. I've started a powerlifting team at my university and I've been getting some great advice from the sport's locals and officials. I have gained a considerable amount of muscle density after I stopped worrying about exact numbers of reps and isolation exercises. I feel stronger and better than ever and I hope to bust a few records in the sport.

This will not be a daily log of events, but rather a summary of my thoughts, trials, and tribulations throughout my career as a power athlete.

MetalAsh12
02-16-08, 1:11 am
The people you meet throughout life are truly astounding; some amaze you, while others disgust you. I tend to be a modest person, I dont gloat or act like an asshole, and I don't capitalize on other's misfortunes.The general population is full of talkers, but is lacking in the area of those that 'do.' I like to think that I am one of those that 'do.'

When I started this team, it was a good five months before I started getting any interest from potential members. But it wasn't as if I lay dormant in those five months. I posted flyers around campus, I talked to individuals, I walked up to welcome tours and gave them a mini-speech about the team and its goals. All this shit wasn't easy, and it was pretty tiresome and monotonous. I must've gone through three full roster rotations before I gained a solid group of individuals who were willing to dedicate their free time to me and the sport; but what a dedicated group of individuals they turned out to be. One member is particularly amazing in my eyes. This guy is paralyzed from the waste down due to a birth defect, walks with crutches. I have never in my life seen someone as dedicated and deadset on success as this guy. Granted, he can only do bench press because of his disability, but he puts every ounce of his soul into it. At his request, we pick up his legs and put them under the securement rolls on the decline so he can do everything we do. When his arms are shaking at the top of the last rep, and I reach out ready to rack the bar, he says, "No, I want more out of this."

I have no doubt in my mind that he will be successful in anything he does.

MetalAsh12
02-16-08, 2:16 pm
Deadlift day, my favorite day of the week...usually falling on a Wednesday at around 7 in the evening. The gym is packed with regulars, newcomers, and the other typicals you see at a gym.

My team and I walk in and head straight towards a back corner of the gym where we have our own section. We've set up the area with an extra mat on the floor at the request of the gym manager...apparently we were making too much noise. The bar is a bit thicker than competition grade and we have no powder or friction materials to help us out with grip.

As we load the bar and eventually work up to the mid 4's, everyone in the gym has to take a glance over at us. Now, 420 pounds is not a big number in this sport, but it's a sight to see for the average gym patron. As we near our heavier weight and fight with the bar for lockout, it's not uncommon for the bar to slip right out of our grip due to the sweat lingering on the surface. I tell my guys that if they give their all at this place, then we are going to dominate our competition... we will see.

People come over to us and ask questions which we are more than eager to reply to, and we sometimes extend invitations to the individuals to come workout with us...most are a bit intimidated by the weight we lift and tend not to show up. So be it; we are a group of individuals who congregate to lift big weight, clear our mind, and have a little fun in the process.

MetalAsh12
02-18-08, 5:57 pm
What is age? A sum of all the years you have lived your life, no doubt, but what does it really mean? Is it a measure of wiseness? No. Is it a measure of maturity? No. Is it a measure of intelligence? No.

So why is it that I see people passing judgement on a person's age? Could it be a sort of inferiority complex? Sure as hell could be...

I had a potential member on my team a month or so ago; this guy was somewhat tall, not a very large frame, and had a smug aura about him. He was going good for a while, but after one of our sessions, he asks to speak with me in private. He tells me he doesn't feel comfortable with a guy a year older than him 'coaching' him. Sounded like an ego thing to me, so I nodded my head and let him go. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If someone younger than you knows more about something than you do, let them enlighten your ignorant ass. Closed-minded individuals stay that way until they die.

Respect everyone you meet, I don't care if they're 17 years old. Respect their knowledge, even if it may be mostly wrong, and acknowledge that they may be able to help you out in some circumstances.

As of late, this forum has been accumulating some real assholes. This place runs on respect; if you don't have respect for me, I certainly won't entertain your presence. If you're here, act mature and be respectful.

Cellerator65
02-18-08, 6:21 pm
yo metal, this is great shit that you are doing. you are wiser and more mature then your age says, and hopefully people will realize that and not pass judgement so easily. respect.

MetalAsh12
02-22-08, 1:17 pm
Your body; a closed system to the world except for some small areas. In order to get materials inside, you must voluntarily put them in. If something gets in that is not wanted, we deem this as an unwanted toxic component...

Viruses, bacteria, junk food; all bad in the eyes of a true athlete. These untouchables are avoided at all cost in order to preserve your domain, your weapon, your body.

But toxicities come not only in the form of visible components, they also come in the form of words and ideas. Stay focused... have faith in yourself, but stay humble.

firsthorseman97
02-22-08, 1:36 pm
Great thread!

MetalAsh12
02-24-08, 9:25 pm
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

"I'll either find a way, or make one."

ATLMusclBro5
02-24-08, 9:46 pm
Hey bro. Looking forward to seeing you at the next Georgia ABC session! Missed you back in January. Next one is probably in March after the Arnold Expo.

MetalAsh12
03-02-08, 2:13 pm
I've waited a long time for this day;

Today was my bench day, I started off with the usual warmup with the bar, getting my shoulder injury accustomed to the weight. Then I put on 135, then 185, then 225, then 275 for an easy two reps. Then I went to 295, easy one rep. So I figured I would try 315, why the hell not?

Got under that shit and popped it up like a jack in the box. So, my new, ungeared one rep max is officialy 315. Felt like I just won the lottery.

I think this will be competitive in the 175 weight class once I get on my gear. I'm guessing I'll be able to add 40-50 pounds shirted...

MetalAsh12
03-03-08, 3:04 pm
Id, Ego, and Superego; those of you who have taken a course or two in Freudian psychology are familiar with these terms. When you are born, you are said to be at the "Id" stage of maturity. This is the stage where a person thinks "I want it and I want it now, and I don't care how I get it." Consideration of others is nonexistent.
The "Ego" stage is said to be the point where one begins to mature a little from the "Id" stage and begins to develop some moral and rational boundaries. Many people are stuck in this stage until death...

The superego binds itself with those who are extremely rational, considerate, and completely aware of their surroundings. They think before they act and have lengthy thought processes.

All three stages coexist in everyone and can be seen at certain times.
Now we get to the subject of lifting;

Lifting for mass, power, dominance...this is what we all want to get out of lifting. This physiological occurence fuels and assists our "Id" personality. We are more apt to get what we want and get it now if we are massive and scary looking. But those who are massive and scary who possess the superego mentality are more respected and revered...

MetalAsh12
03-05-08, 12:30 pm
There are those of us who can look at a weight and our muscles will begin to grow, then there are those of us who actually have to work for the mass we have. I am not gifted with outstanding genetics...granted I was never a skinny little guy, but I wasn't a big guy either.

Those of us who have to work for our muscle know what it takes to build and be cut down, we know that if we'd stopped lifting long ago, people would be sneering at us instead of looking on with awe. We work for our gains, and we know what it takes...

MetalAsh12
03-05-08, 4:34 pm
Just wanted to take some time to thank everyone on the forvm. I came here a little over a year ago and didn't know anything about lifting....I saw some huge guy (Frank) on the front page and thought, "damn." Since I first found this place, I've put on about 40 pounds of muscle with the help of all of you. I'm still going and still gaining tons of knowledge everyday from the forvm. Thanks everyone...

MetalAsh12
03-08-08, 1:52 pm
When I started this sport, I was just another average kid with a skinny cow complex looking to kill some time. I started with bodybuilding, then worked my way up to powerlifting at the collegiate level. I never thought I would be benching 315 raw...EVER. I kept going and going and it eventually became an addiction, when I didn't go to the gym, I had withdrawals.

I used to sit on my bench in between sets and look at some of these massive guys repping out their loaded barbells and wonder how they could find the time to be like that...then I figured it out. You don't find the time, you live the time. It doesn't end when you leave the gym every day, it just begins. Your muscles are just damaged and broken when you step out after your last set. You must consume, consume, consume. You must rest; and your body will reward you with growth.

MetalAsh12
03-13-08, 9:47 pm
Today started just as any other day. I woke up, went to class, hit the gym, and have been eating since. Only one thing was different, my girlfriend of one and a half years decided she didn't like me anymore 'like that' and left me. So yea, the day took a turn for the worst...I'm always a nice guy, especially to her, but things change, shit happens. More focus can now be given to the iron.

All I have to say is "Oh well."

MetalAsh12
03-21-08, 9:40 pm
Dwelling on stupid shit gets you nowhere...it actually retards your goals. Figured that out the hard way, lost a little size as a result of last week's events...but no strength. Popped out some 405lb. squats today with my team and more people are showing interest in the sport...

the team is steadily growing with dedicated members...

BrotherInArms
03-21-08, 10:14 pm
Dwelling on stupid shit gets you nowhere...it actually retards your goals. Figured that out the hard way, lost a little size as a result of last week's events...but no strength. Popped out some 405lb. squats today with my team and more people are showing interest in the sport...

the team is steadily growing with dedicated members...

Good shit.

MetalAsh12
03-27-08, 10:50 am
Thanks man;

Everything's going smooth with everything...life's flowing like water. Have an interview for a 'doorman' position at an upscale restuarant tomorrow, excited about that.

Our team will be assisting with loading/spotting at the competition on April 5th in Duluth, GA. If you're free that day (it's a Saturday) come out. PM me for more details.

MetalAsh12
03-27-08, 9:35 pm
Let me start off by saying that I have no problems with people who are religious; how or what they practice makes no difference to me.

It seems that people have become less-considerate as the years go by; they shut the door in your face, never return a smile, say things behind other people's backs..etc.

When people are nice, it is usually because they are "being a good christian" or trying to get their way.
What the fuck is the matter with people; why is an extrinsic factor needed to be polite to others? Is this a fuckin' game to you? Are you trying to score points in life so you can get what you want later on, using others as pawns? Be nice for the sake of being nice, not for the sake of self-indulgence. Religion may not be the root of all evil, but it certainly is the root of most problems.

MetalAsh12
03-29-08, 4:03 pm
So it's like this; you sit around and wait for your friends all day, you won't get shit done. People are unreliable as a whole, live your life according to your schedule, not your buddy's.

MetalAsh12
03-31-08, 6:36 pm
Like any city, Atlanta has its derelict problems...

To get back from chemistry lab on Mondays, I have to walk down some roads that are a bit less than safe at times. Today, as I was walking this route, I came across a little problem.

I was walking behind a young girl, a student; As we rounded a corner, this guy in a large black jacket starts harassing her about money or something and how he needs it for some drinks. He wasn't homeless, at least from what I could tell, he seemed like the wannabe gangbanger type. So he keeps on this girl for a minute or so, and I'd had enough. I told the guy to back off, then he turns, looks at me and starts giving me shit. Sayin' stuff like "You're all buff n shit, you need to be made an example of." This was mid rush hour btw, so people saw what was going on as we were near the road. I tell him one last time to back the fuck off, he keeps taunting me...so I turn, put down my bag, and briskly walk his way. He starts backpedling and eventually walks off. Thinking back on it, it was a stupid thing I did; he could've pulled a gun, or it could've escalated into something involving the police...but what I do not regret is getting that asshole off that girl's case.

Stay alert, but keep your cool.

Cellerator65
03-31-08, 7:20 pm
hopefully you dont have to run into that guy ever again bro.... but you did do the right thing, as alot of people on here say... "we protect those who cannot protect themselves"

MetalAsh12
03-31-08, 9:09 pm
hopefully you dont have to run into that guy ever again bro.... but you did do the right thing, as alot of people on here say... "we protect those who cannot protect themselves"

Hopefully not, thanks for the feedback.

MetalAsh12
04-08-08, 11:45 pm
Injured myself on bench last Friday...it's already starting to heal. This may set me back a little in strength, but no worries, muscle memory is real....

YOUNG_BB
04-09-08, 12:06 am
Injured myself on bench last Friday...it's already starting to heal. This may set me back a little in strength, but no worries, muscle memory is real....

how did this happen? we need to u be at 100% for the ANIMAL SESSIONS!
why cant u squat?

MetalAsh12
04-09-08, 12:16 am
how did this happen? we need to u be at 100% for the ANIMAL SESSIONS!
why cant u squat?

A few of the muscles in the scapular area were weakened when I used to lift with bad form, they decided to snap on Friday. I can't squat because my arms have to be up in a weird position...you can hold the bar on my back if you want... :)

MetalAsh12
04-09-08, 9:44 am
After watching "Pumping Iron" last night, I've come to the conclusion that Arnold is a complete dick. Yea, he had a great body, but his attitude sure did suck...

YOUNG_BB
04-09-08, 11:40 am
that sucks bro, i hope u get bette
i wish the gym had a bar pad something like this
if u go to universalnutrition.com then click athletes corner in bottom left column, and look in the right side where it says videos, and theres a small clip of alex doing squats with this bar pad that u can hold to the front its in minute: 1:52

MetalAsh12
04-16-08, 7:41 pm
The almost two week old injury is feeling a lot better...I almost feel like I could get back in the gym and start doin some upper body minus the chest, but I think I'll give it more time. I'd rather be small for a little while while my body heals than be small for a lifetime because I was stupid.

Reacher34
04-16-08, 8:21 pm
The almost two week old injury is feeling a lot better...I almost feel like I could get back in the gym and start doin some upper body minus the chest, but I think I'll give it more time. I'd rather be small for a little while while my body heals than be small for a lifetime because I was stupid.

Wise beyond his 19 years.

twisted_steel
04-16-08, 9:03 pm
I must say MetalAsh, your posts have really inspired me to learn to live my life MY way and no fucking other way. I read ur posts all the time and you definitely put things in the light. I appreciate all the philosophical messages ur sending to all of us who are always looking for that new idea, that new attitude, that new...feeling. I appreciate it man. Keep it coming. Wer'e with you in this game bro!

MetalAsh12
04-16-08, 10:21 pm
I must say MetalAsh, your posts have really inspired me to learn to live my life MY way and no fucking other way. I read ur posts all the time and you definitely put things in the light. I appreciate all the philosophical messages ur sending to all of us who are always looking for that new idea, that new attitude, that new...feeling. I appreciate it man. Keep it coming. Wer'e with you in this game bro!

Wise beyond his 19 years.

Haha, Reacher...thanks guys, I'll keep 'em coming. I'm happy to have inspired someone!Keep up the hard training!

MetalAsh12
04-17-08, 5:57 pm
As final exams near, many of my friends are getting extremely nervous about how they will do and how it will reflect their overall GPA and so forth.

As long as you give everything your absolute best effort, there is nothing more you can do. If you fail that class or that life objective, maybe you weren't working hard enough, or maybe you didn't really want it in the first place.
Reevaluate, gain your footing once again, and set course.

MetalAsh12
04-19-08, 11:14 am
Expect nothing, and you'll never be disappointed.

Reacher34
04-28-08, 9:48 pm
What the story with your pec?

Cellerator65
04-28-08, 10:12 pm
Expect nothing, and you'll never be disappointed.

i gotta a quote i tell myself, just like that...

"expect nothing, take everything"

MetalAsh12
04-29-08, 12:57 am
My injury is still healing, the MRI people messed up my results so I still don't know exactly what ripped.

MetalAsh12
04-30-08, 1:13 pm
Only one more day until my 'summer break' begins. But I don't plan to be on break at all during this month off; slowly returning to the heavier weight minus the benchpress is on the agenda. My diet will be put back in check, and my catabolism reversed. This will be a 'summer recovery.'

MetalAsh12
04-30-08, 4:27 pm
Just got back from the orthopaedic surgeon's office for the follow up on my MRI scan; he said that there is certainly a tear in the ligament area, but they don't know whether it tore from the bone or if it's just a mid-muscle tear...so they recommended surgery to find out what the situation is and repair it if it's torn from the bone. I'm going back in 4 weeks for another follow-up appointment, but in the meantime, he said I can still workout and work back up to my former numbers.

BarryClark
04-30-08, 4:38 pm
I had a potential member on my team a month or so ago; this guy was somewhat tall, not a very large frame, and had a smug aura about him. He was going good for a while, but after one of our sessions, he asks to speak with me in private. He tells me he doesn't feel comfortable with a guy a year older than him 'coaching' him. Sounded like an ego thing to me, so I nodded my head and let him go. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If someone younger than you knows more about something than you do, let them enlighten your ignorant ass. Closed-minded individuals stay that way until they die.

Respect everyone you meet, I don't care if they're 17 years old. Respect their knowledge, even if it may be mostly wrong, and acknowledge that they may be able to help you out in some circumstances.

That bothers me big time too--when people just can't stand the concept that maybe somebody younger might actually be more knowledgeable and hardworking...that is ego and pride...shame they let that get in the way of gaining some great knowledge.

MetalAsh12
04-30-08, 6:54 pm
That bothers me big time too--when people just can't stand the concept that maybe somebody younger might actually be more knowledgeable and hardworking...that is ego and pride...shame they let that get in the way of gaining some great knowledge.

Completely agree

MetalAsh12
05-03-08, 12:46 pm
Yesterday was my first day back at the gym for upper body after my injury. I was able to pull a raw 405 deadlift without much pain, rep out on some heavy barbell rows, and put away the cable rows.

One of my friends called and asked where I was coming from. I told him...his reponse, "Are you kidding me? Didn't you just rip your pec not even a month ago?" I told him yea, but this is what I do. You have your drinks, video games, crappy food; I have the gym. He then responded, "Matt, that's not all there is to life."

I told him, "No, but it can teach you much about it."

ATLMusclBro5
05-06-08, 10:29 am
Awesome bro! Glad to hear you're healing...and throwing around some heavy weights again!

MetalAsh12
05-07-08, 8:14 am
Awesome bro! Glad to hear you're healing...and throwing around some heavy weights again!

Thanks man; the surgeon said the thing won't heal itself though...so I'm torn between surgery and being inactive for 5 months or working through it and have the possibility of having a weak shoulder for the rest of my life...

MetalAsh12
05-07-08, 11:22 pm
My second back workout since the injury, and I'm feeling real fucking good. I pulled a 450 deadlift today...new PR. If I do end up having surgery, which I probably will, I figure that I can try to get as big as I can and maintain for five months.

MetalAsh12
05-21-08, 1:22 pm
I've cracked down hard on my diet this past month. It's been chicken, steak, protein shakes, and rice for a while now. I'm noticeably losing some of that extra fat I had and some extra definition is appearing. Still no word on surgery for my shoulder...

MetalAsh12
05-23-08, 1:38 pm
Just read rev8ball's thread and came across the post about the pump...just thought I'd throw this in:

Since I've been eating as forementioned, the pump has been coming to me much, much, MUCH more easily. I'm talking not being able to scratch my head after an arm workout. So get your diet in check and see what that does for you...sure as hell worked for me.

mcbeast
05-23-08, 1:50 pm
So it's like this; you sit around and wait for your friends all day, you won't get shit done. People are unreliable as a whole, live your life according to your schedule, not your buddy's.

Speaking real shit on here brother,everyday matters.Your numbers and dedication are pretty intense as well,im subbed.

MetalAsh12
05-26-08, 12:26 am
Speaking real shit on here brother,everyday matters.Your numbers and dedication are pretty intense as well,im subbed.

I appreciate it, man.

MetalAsh12
05-26-08, 12:39 am
As Darwin studied the newfounded ecosystem and species within the Galapagos, he noticed something interesting; these animals were adapting to their environment. Over time, they developed specialized attributes that allowed them to survive. The animals that didn't adapt were killed by the climate or those animals that did adapt. This is Darwin's theory of natural selection... "The strong survive."

Humans are mammalian beings; we are of the same class as monkeys, birds, whale, etc. So is it of any surprise to you that most human reactions seem a bit animalistic? People see abnormally large muscles on a person, they veer or look away quickly. Why? We are more favorable in the eyes of natural selection, and deep down, they know this. Animal instinct takes over, and they do what's best for their survival...walk the other way.

MetalAsh12
05-29-08, 5:17 pm
Today was my follow-up visit to the ortho. surgeon. He came in and said that he would not recommend surgery at this time. After reviewing the MRI scans, he noticed that it appears to be a fiber tear and NOT a tear at the tie-in area of the frontal delt and pec muscles. He did say that it was very hard to tell though. He did give me the green light to start training very light with dumbbells...but I think I'll wait another month before I start that just as a precaution. I was informed that scar tissue will reform around the damaged area and I should be back up to my former bench weight with time.

I go back in a month for another follow-up.

MetalAsh12
05-29-08, 8:35 pm
Got a good laugh in the gym today; I pulled into the parking lot to find a fire truck and an ambulance parked outside with the lights flashing. I walk in the gym and find a friend from high school in there working out. Now, this guy just got accepted to West Point so he's training his ass off almost every day to prepare. He walks up to me in between sets and says hello. I asked him what was with the EMS guys out front. He says some kid, whom which he was an acquaintance of, dislocated his shoulder while lifting. The EMS guys asked the kid who he was working out with, and he responded with my friend's name. My buddy hadn't spoken to this guy in years and he certainly wasn't talking to him today. The paramedics call him over and ask him to take the injured guy to the hospital because the kid didn't want to ride in an ambulance. So, my friend says no; he tells them he hasn't spoken to this guy for years and that he was not working out with him when this happened. He then said that he was in the middle of his workout and couldn't be bothered...
Apparently they all gave him a look after he said that...which I can understand;

Some of you may think him an asshole for saying that but I just think it's kind of funny. I think I would've taken the guy to the hospital, but that's just my opinion. Although, I can understand where my friend was coming from.

Reacher34
05-29-08, 10:05 pm
Today was my follow-up visit to the ortho. surgeon. He came in and said that he would not recommend surgery at this time. After reviewing the MRI scans, he noticed that it appears to be a fiber tear and NOT a tear at the tie-in area of the frontal delt and pec muscles. He did say that it was very hard to tell though. He did give me the green light to start training very light with dumbbells...but I think I'll wait another month before I start that just as a precaution. I was informed that scar tissue will reform around the damaged area and I should be back up to my former bench weight with time.

I go back in a month for another follow-up.

That's great news and you still have my best wishes. Check our thread, tell me what you think.

MetalAsh12
06-08-08, 8:09 am
Some of my team members informed me that they are fuckin' with superdrol, D-bol, and some other steroid products. You know, to be honest, if we were pro bodybuilders that have reached our maximum physical potential and knew EVERYTHING about proper PCT, I wouldn't have much of a problem...but we're far from that, and these fuckers need to put in more time and dedication to the gym and their diet before they mess around with pro-anabolics. Anyway, I advised them against the products...we'll see what happens. They're certainly not representing GSU Powerlifting until that shit is out of their system.

mcbeast
06-08-08, 8:36 am
Some of my team members informed me that they are fuckin' with superdrol, D-bol, and some other steroid products. You know, to be honest, if we were pro bodybuilders that have reached our maximum physical potential and knew EVERYTHING about proper PCT, I wouldn't have much of a problem...but we're far from that, and these fuckers need to put in more time and dedication to the gym and their diet before they mess around with pro-anabolics. Anyway, I advised them against the products...we'll see what happens. They're certainly not representing GSU Powerlifting until that shit is out of their system.

You know whats funny tho? With your grit and determination your probably still just as strong as them.If not stronger.

MetalAsh12
06-08-08, 9:59 am
You know whats funny tho? With your grit and determination your probably still just as strong as them.If not stronger.

Hey man I appreciate that; they'll do something wrong and it'll bite them in the ass...the only way to learn is through experience.

mcbeast
06-08-08, 10:13 am
Hey man I appreciate that; they'll do something wrong and it'll bite them in the ass...the only way to learn is through experience.

Yeah man,and law is crackin down alot on that now a days too.

MetalAsh12
06-09-08, 11:21 pm
Haven't posted one of these in a while...an actual workout that is; so here's what I did for back today:

+Rack Deads: 1x12 135lbs., 1x10 225lbs., 1x8 315lbs., 2x4 405lbs., then a half-rep with 495

+T-Bar Rows (close grip): 1x16 50lbs., 1x12 100lbs., 1x8 140lbs., 1x6 200lbs. then pyramid back down

+Cable Rows: 1x12 135lbs., 1x12 165lbs., 1x10 200lbs., 1x8 240lbs., 1x4 300lbs.

+Close Grip BB Rows (underhand grip): 1x20 85lbs., 1x16 95lbs., 1x12 135lbs., 1x10 170lbs.

Ended here;

mcbeast
06-09-08, 11:25 pm
Nice pullin there brotha! I did racks today as well,but screwed up,haha<--Check log if interested in how i screwed up

MetalAsh12
06-09-08, 11:32 pm
Nice pullin there brotha! I did racks today as well,but screwed up,haha<--Check log if interested in how i screwed up

nah you're fine, I screw up pin placement every once in a while as well

mcbeast
06-11-08, 11:11 am
nah you're fine, I screw up pin placement every once in a while as well

By screwing up i sacrifice any use of my hammies,so it drops my weights down alot.My back kinda hurts now as well.Next time ill be sure to do em right.The pins were right,but i used the wrong box to step on.

MetalAsh12
06-15-08, 10:40 am
I wear my hat frontwards for practical purposes; to keep the light out of my eyes during the day, to catch my sweat as I'm in the gym, and to avoid seeing the majority of morons who step foot in the gym.

Number three was of no use for me today...for as I removed my hat to wipe the sweat from my forehead, I saw him. The stereotypical gym douche; not a big guy, but somewhat in shape, wearing a weighted vest that looked like some kind of body armor. Under the vest was a tight black shirt and some kind of necklace. He was screaming at the top of his lungs while squatting 225...and after he finished his last set of five, he removes a 45lb. plate and bounces up and down like a slinky, looking around to make sure everyone saw his miraculous feats of strength.

I'll be sure to pull my bill further down over my eyes next session.

MetalAsh12
06-19-08, 7:17 am
My favorite lift is the deadlift; nothing works more muscles than this lift and requires as much strength. If your mind is not ready to lift, then you're certainly not going to lift.

I've been at a sticking point with 450 on deads for the past few weeks. I figure I'll throw in some 495 rack deads in the coming weeks to try and overload my back and see if that helps at all. I've also started doing some 15 minute cardio sessions (speed walking) after my workouts, trying to get my size to show a little more through definition...we'll see how that goes.

Thrawn
06-19-08, 7:19 am
Do some chainwork on deads to get through your sticking point. That works better then doing rackpulls for this problem.

MetalAsh12
06-20-08, 10:55 am
Do some chainwork on deads to get through your sticking point. That works better then doing rackpulls for this problem.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

MetalAsh12
06-22-08, 10:36 am
You know, every single time I look at a bodybuilding magazine at work or when I'm taking a break, people always come up to me and ask, "Do you want to look like THAT!?"
Now, I know if I say "yes" that this will start a big thing with them and they'll suddenly become an expert psychiatrist, so I respond with a "no." But damnit, my answer is yes.

All the guys I workout with at the Atlanta ABC events have ALL been getting bigger since the first session. This is awesome, and I know people are coming to you with the same lame argument about how that physique is disgusting and blah blah blah. Ignore these fools, keep pushing forward. What they don't understand, they mock. Take pride in knowing that one day you won't be able to fit in your car... (this may be true for some of you already :) )

MetalAsh12
06-23-08, 8:15 am
Got off work a little late yesterday evening so I got to the gym a bit late as a result. Well, I get in there and they close 5 minutes after I start my first rep. No way I was ending my back workout after 2 exercises...I drove down the road a little and found this place called "LifeTime Fitness." I thought LA Fitness was bad...this place takes the cake.

I walk in to this lobby that looks like some kind of upscale hotel entrance and walk past some coffee shops and nutrition stores to the front desk. I ask them how much it is to workout for a day and gave them the five bucks. I then asked where the free weight area was: "Down the hall to the right, up the stairs, past the nutrition bar vendor all the way in the back corner." Great, they shove the free weights in the back corner of this place, hidden from anyone who isn't looking for them. I get up there and there is ONE other person in there. The plates are rubber and still have that greasy shit on them because no one ever uses them. People were looking at me like I was retarted while I was doing rack deads and BB rows. Granted, no one was lughing when the 4th plate was loaded...but this place was weird as shit. Sparkling signs all over the place, two giant swimming pools, shops all over the place...wtf. Anyway, that was my weird experience of the year, thought I'd share it.

I lost about 50 animal points for stepping foot in there...

Reacher34
06-23-08, 2:42 pm
Got off work a little late yesterday evening so I got to the gym a bit late as a result. Well, I get in there and they close 5 minutes after I start my first rep. No way I was ending my back workout after 2 exercises...I drove down the road a little and found this place called "LifeTime Fitness." I thought LA Fitness was bad...this place takes the cake.

I walk in to this lobby that looks like some kind of upscale hotel entrance and walk past some coffee shops and nutrition stores to the front desk. I ask them how much it is to workout for a day and gave them the five bucks. I then asked where the free weight area was: "Down the hall to the right, up the stairs, past the nutrition bar vendor all the way in the back corner." Great, they shove the free weights in the back corner of this place, hidden from anyone who isn't looking for them. I get up there and there is ONE other person in there. The plates are rubber and still have that greasy shit on them because no one ever uses them. People were looking at me like I was retarted while I was doing rack deads and BB rows. Granted, no one was lughing when the 4th plate was loaded...but this place was weird as shit. Sparkling signs all over the place, two giant swimming pools, shops all over the place...wtf. Anyway, that was my weird experience of the year, thought I'd share it.

I lost about 50 animal points for stepping foot in there...

Haha, you got plenty to spare, bro. No worries...do what you gotta do.

MetalAsh12
06-29-08, 10:28 am
Haha, you got plenty to spare, bro. No worries...do what you gotta do.

hah thanks man;

I started to incorporate higher rep regimens for all my lifts except the big three...and it is working as far as I can tell. Muscles seem more full and vascular...and they are getting noticeably bigger. But my deadlift and squats are still staying in the high numbers, those are my big weight lifts no matter what.

Thrawn
06-30-08, 3:33 am
hah thanks man;

I started to incorporate higher rep regimens for all my lifts except the big three...and it is working as far as I can tell. Muscles seem more full and vascular...and they are getting noticeably bigger. But my deadlift and squats are still staying in the high numbers, those are my big weight lifts no matter what.

If that works for you, then keep it that way =) I tend to agree on that kind of training. I keep the heavy weights for the big three (and for all compound movements), the accesoiry exercises i will go for more reps.

mcbeast
06-30-08, 1:30 pm
Place sounds like a shopping mall...haha.They should have an abercrombie in there too

MetalAsh12
07-07-08, 12:09 pm
I knew college wouldn't be easy, but I was strongly mislead during my first year and a half. I took all my core required classes that every B.S. major had to take. They were easy for me; I either made a high B or an A in each of them. Halfway through my sophomore year I finished these classes...all I had left were my sciences: Organic Chemistry, Physics, Molecular Biology, etc.

I began taking these classes and applied the same study habits I had all through my previous year...that was a big hell no. I passed my classes, but my GPA plummeted quite a bit. I am in the process of taking a summer biology class with the hardest professor I have ever had. We are essentially learning the material on our own by reading the book and taking crazy notes. The midterm was the craziest exam I've had in my life, hardest thing by far. My friends that I study with tend to have a natural inclination towards the sciences, I am quite the opposite. I'm better at the arts than they are, but I have to work twice as hard to keep up with them in sciences. But I'm still there as a bio major...didn't quit or back down. I just adjusted my study habits and kept at it.

Same goes for lifting; if you are not as genetically gifted as your friend, don't sweat the small shit. Hard work and perseverance take you much further than things that are handed to you. My friends may be better students, but better practitioners they will not be. Work hard, stay focused, and never back down...ever.

MetalAsh12
07-09-08, 12:00 am
As I loosened my grip on the bar after doing a set of deads yesterday, I noticed a small amount of blood smeared over my palms and the cracked skin around the base of my fingers. This was a new bar, one that did not have the rough areas smoothed out by repetitive use; with its reflectiveness and shine, I though it had to be broken in with a heavy set of deads. But it bit back, tearing at the flesh and opening the skin.

A new bar may look too pretty; you may want to rough it up a bit to get rid of its shine and break it in; but that bar's teeth are not worn down, they are still new and untarnished. This bar will rip you up and remind you of who dictates who. The new and unused often serve as little reminders...

YOUNG_BB
07-09-08, 1:00 am
You know, every single time I look at a bodybuilding magazine at work or when I'm taking a break, people always come up to me and ask, "Do you want to look like THAT!?"
Now, I know if I say "yes" that this will start a big thing with them and they'll suddenly become an expert psychiatrist, so I respond with a "no." But damnit, my answer is yes.

this happened to me yesterday, i was over at my training partner's house, (the guy i come with to the animal sessions) btw his mother passed away fourth of july. and he had some people over at his house, and we're all in his room and he puts on Ronnie Coleman in the 2005 Mr.O the posing routine, and this one girl is like "y'all want to get that big?" but the tone of her voice is like saying eww its gross if u do. i say "ehh" and sort of ignore it, but i truly do want to get that big. i know im not Ronnie Coleman, he's a genetic freak of nature and he's been blessed, but i know i'll take it as far as humanly possible. so YES i do want to get that big.

Thrawn
07-09-08, 3:56 am
Maybe for me its easy to say, but i could care less what other ppl think about what i want or do. If thats what you want, stay dedicated and speak it out loud. Be confident. Ppl will think what they want anyway.

MetalAsh12
07-09-08, 9:51 am
If you say you're going to do something, then do it... Don't be a flake
That's all I have to that say about that.

YOUNG_BB
07-10-08, 2:28 am
If you say you're going to do something, then do it... Don't be a flake
That's all I have to that say about that.

i'll stay quiet with and let my body do the talkin'

MetalAsh12
08-02-08, 9:47 am
So I was speaking with my biology professor the other day about myostatin inhibition. Myostatin is a gene in skeletal muscle that actually inhibits muscle growth...so, in simple terms, if you can inhibit the binding of myostatin to receptor sites, it is said that you can significantly increase muscle growth. Successful tests have been run on mice; the products being 'schwarzenegger mice.' No successful tests have been run on humans though...

Anyway, we were talking and I may begin working in the lab on this specific problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

mcbeast
08-02-08, 10:12 am
So I was speaking with my biology professor the other day about myostatin inhibition. Myostatin is a gene in skeletal muscle that actually inhibits muscle growth...so, in simple terms, if you can inhibit the binding of myostatin to receptor sites, it is said that you can significantly increase muscle growth. Successful tests have been run on mice; the products being 'schwarzenegger mice.' No successful tests have been run on humans though...

Anyway, we were talking and I may begin working in the lab on this specific problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

Interesting enough brotha.Keep us updated.

MetalAsh12
08-04-08, 10:09 pm
I spoke with one of the head biology professors at GSU today regarding my interest in myostatin inhibition research; as it seems now, I will be the founder and head of the research project. She offered a group of students to work under me, research grants, and lab space for the research. Everything's looking good so far

ATLMusclBro5
08-04-08, 11:59 pm
Congrats bro!

You just joined a short list of people who actually get paid to do what they enjoy!! It's a great opportnity you have to pursue your passion and to lead others. No doubt you'll do both with excellence.

There was a movie out a few years back called "No Pain, No Gain" that basically acted out what you're attempting! The main character was a bodybuilder who wanted to be appreciated for his mind and was doing the same research on myostatin that you are planning. It's definitely worth checking out.

Best wishes to you bro. When (not if) you figure out this mystery, you'll become rich! Just make sure you don't sign your patent rights away to your research advisor!!

MetalAsh12
08-05-08, 7:27 am
Congrats bro!

You just joined a short list of people who actually get paid to do what they enjoy!! It's a great opportnity you have to pursue your passion and to lead others. No doubt you'll do both with excellence.

There was a movie out a few years back called "No Pain, No Gain" that basically acted out what you're attempting! The main character was a bodybuilder who wanted to be appreciated for his mind and was doing the same research on myostatin that you are planning. It's definitely worth checking out.

Best wishes to you bro. When (not if) you figure out this mystery, you'll become rich! Just make sure you don't sign your patent rights away to your research advisor!!

Thanks bro! I'll be sure to patent any decent findings...then sell them to Universal! haha

MetalAsh12
10-07-08, 12:56 am
Here are some videos from practice tonight;

www.youtube.com/metalash12

Reacher34
10-07-08, 9:04 am
I spoke with one of the head biology professors at GSU today regarding my interest in myostatin inhibition research; as it seems now, I will be the founder and head of the research project. She offered a group of students to work under me, research grants, and lab space for the research. Everything's looking good so far

If you need someone to test it on, look me up.

Just kidding.....sorta.

MetalAsh12
11-05-08, 7:38 pm
Long time no see; I have a video here of a DL max of mine a few weeks ago at 455; my max has since gone up to 465

455DL video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlB8vEsHye4

MetalAsh12
11-05-08, 7:51 pm
Oh, and if you look to the right, you'll see a related video with the name of 'Courtney.' This is the sole female on our team who's an absolute powerhouse; she lifts 325 in that vid.

Side note: I don't let my team use wrist wraps/chalk during practice :) Everyone's grip strength is going up as a result

MetalAsh12
11-09-08, 11:20 am
I've decided that I am going to throw chest back into my routine starting today...we'll see how the few muscle fibers left in my right shoulder/pec area hold up against some light weight.

MetalAsh12
02-17-09, 11:24 pm
Attempted a 495 deadlift tonight at the gym and got the bar about 2/4 off the floor when my shoulder injury caused me to drop it...hurt like a bitch. The back is definitely there though, if it weren't for the injury I would've pulled it easily.

MetalAsh12
04-01-09, 1:39 pm
Shoulder injury is healing nicely; I'm able to hit military presses again at 120 and bench again at 130. Hit the 500 mark on deadlifts the other night...shoulder hurt like nothing I've felt before, but I locked out...

As the seals say, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." (or the onset of a new injury)

MetalAsh12
04-29-10, 5:49 pm
Damn, just found this ancient thread...might as well update it.

Currently on a stack of Animal Cuts to shed a few pounds.
The injury is healed as much as it's going to, so I'm going in for a surgical consult on Monday with the Atlanta Falcons/Thrashers doctors to see what they have to say.
I'm also about to graduate GSU with my degree in biology, so I've been looking into the job market. My prime interest at the moment is a career with the SEALs after I get my shoulder fixed...so I've been running a hell of a lot of miles lately to condition my heart.

MetalAsh12
04-29-10, 6:01 pm
I still frequent the free weight area every day of the week to keep my muscle content up, and the things I see are mildly hilarious. A whole new group of high school kids have flocked to the free weight area and have taken up the "lift anything and everything while eating candy bars and attempting to stare you down" method. Not only the high school kids do this, but adults as well. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I've come to the realization that while being big is great, you need to have functionality to go along with that muscle. What good is benching 450 if you can't run a mile without having heart palpitations? It is also better for your body in the long run...this is the only body you'll have for the remainder of your life...better take care of it, joints and all.