PDA

View Full Version : "Power and Volume" - Jim's Journey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 1:00 pm
I want to thank everyone who supported me and gave me advice over on my old journey, it's time for a switch, and its time to get STRONG. I'm gonna be posting all my workouts here now, and I hope to see you all here. Please, ALL critiques are welcome, I am new to powerlifting and anything that looks like it needs adjustment, please let me know. I am reading every day and learning new things, trying to figure out the workload I can handle, and things like that..So strap in and get ready !

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 1:05 pm
Today was a brief day, since i worked out like normal this week, I had to adjust the training today so I didn't hit the muscles too hard, and overtrain them. I worked with what I did not hit, and like I said, adjusted as I needed

RAW Bench : warmup sets, 135, 185, 225

Board Presses ( pinkie on the ring)

275 x 5( 1 board)
315 x 3( 2 board) <---smoked it
335 x 3( 2 board) <----little awkward, needed a small nudge on the 3rd rep
335 x 3( 3 board) <----clean hard reps
345 x 1( 1 board) <-------solid

225 x 15(regular bench)

DB Flyes : 40,50,60 x 12

BB curls: 4 sets x 12 reps

Felt good today..I did back, and nailed triceps this week hard, so I left those out., I will definitely have them ready for next week though. I'm sitting down with my partner Eric today, and were going to officially outline the plan. This is just a start. I felt good today, really strong, so I'm fucking ready to move some weight.

The looks we got at Globo Gym were hilarious when I walked in with my lumber, it was awesome. Can't wait for the chain work.

Young&Hungry
02-16-08, 1:19 pm
Today was a brief day, since i worked out like normal this week, I had to adjust the training today so I didn't hit the muscles too hard, and overtrain them. I worked with what I did not hit, and like I said, adjusted as I needed

RAW Bench : warmup sets, 135, 185, 225

Board Presses ( pinkie on the ring)

275 x 5( 1 board)
315 x 3( 2 board) <---smoked it
335 x 3( 2 board) <----little awkward, needed a small nudge on the 3rd rep
335 x 3( 3 board) <----clean hard reps
345 x 1( 1 board) <-------solid

225 x 15(regular bench)

DB Flyes : 40,50,60 x 12

BB curls: 4 sets x 12 reps

Felt good today..I did back, and nailed triceps this week hard, so I left those out., I will definitely have them ready for next week though. I'm sitting down with my partner Eric today, and were going to officially outline the plan. This is just a start. I felt good today, really strong, so I'm fucking ready to move some weight.

The looks we got at Globo Gym were hilarious when I walked in with my lumber, it was awesome. Can't wait for the chain work.

Hey bro, about the board presses. For a max effort movement, you want to pick only one board height to do all of your ME work off of. You may see some shirted guys use various board heights on their heavy bench days, but this is because they are learning to touch in their shirts. So for example, if you wanted to do 2-Boards as your ME movement, do nothing but two boards. Since you are a raw bencher you want to work with 1 and 2 Boards on your ME days. Most raw benchers are weak off the chest and can lock out anything they can get past that point, so this explains the low end board work. We need to focus on our off the chest power like a shirted guy focuses on lockout, because he gets support from his equipment at the bottom and it lessens at the top. Remember that raw and equipped lifters have to do things just a little bit differently.

So your next ME Bench day might look a little like this:
Bench (ME Variation) - work up to 1-5RM
DB Press or Pushup Variation - 3x12
Shoulder Press Variation (no machines) or Upper Back work - 4x8, heavy
Lats (T-Bars, pullups, rows) - 4x10
Light Tricep/Bicep Superset - 2x10

Otherwise it looks good bro, make sure to work your overheads heavy and do 4-5 sets of lat work on your bench days. Strong shoulders and powerful lats/upper back are some of the most important things for a raw bencher. I am a raw bencher also and my ME bench day is today so you might want to check that out afterwards as a sample day for yourself. If you need anything else I'll be here bro! Good luck.

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 1:27 pm
Hey bro, about the board presses. For a max effort movement, you want to pick only one board height to do all of your ME work off of. You may see some shirted guys use various board heights on their heavy bench days, but this is because they are learning to touch in their shirts. So for example, if you wanted to do 2-Boards as your ME movement, do nothing but two boards. Since you are a raw bencher you want to work with 1 and 2 Boards on your ME days. Most raw benchers are weak off the chest and can lock out anything they can get past that point, so this explains the low end board work. We need to focus on our off the chest power like a shirted guy focuses on lockout, because he gets support from his equipment at the bottom and it lessens at the top. Remember that raw and equipped lifters have to do things just a little bit differently.

Otherwise it looks good bro, make sure to work your overheads heavy and do 4-5 sets of lat work on your bench days. Strong shoulders and powerful lats/upper back are some of the most important things for a raw bencher. I am a raw bencher also and my ME bench day is today so you might want to check that out afterwards as a sample day for yourself. If you need anything else I'll be here bro! Good luck.

sweet bro, thanks. I figured as much. I haven't done boards in a long time, so today was like an establishment today to see where I'm at. I'll definitely take your advice and use 1 or 2 boards. My sticking point is usually half way.....at about 2 board height, so I'm gonna focus on that probabaly. Thanks for loookin out bro.

I'm gonna have the template ready tonight, so I'll post for critiques.

Young&Hungry
02-16-08, 1:36 pm
sweet bro, thanks. I figured as much. I haven't done boards in a long time, so today was like an establishment today to see where I'm at. I'll definitely take your advice and use 1 or 2 boards. My sticking point is usually half way.....at about 2 board height, so I'm gonna focus on that probabaly. Thanks for loookin out bro.

I'm gonna have the template ready tonight, so I'll post for critiques.

Sounds good Jim, just remember to tailor your assistance work to YOUR needs. Like for the bench, you gotta focus on the floor presses, inclines, reverse bands, 1-2 boards, DB presses, overheads, and lats because they address your issue of being weak off the chest for the bench. If you're missing squats at the bottom, hammer the box squats, RDL/SLDL's, GHR's, back raises, and the like because they address that specific weakness, and so forth. Westside is so good because you can tailor it to fit YOUR needs, making YOU stronger.

You sound like you know what you're doing here bro, can't wait to see what you do on the darkside!

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 1:56 pm
Sounds good Jim, just remember to tailor your assistance work to YOUR needs. Like for the bench, you gotta focus on the floor presses, inclines, reverse bands, 1-2 boards, DB presses, overheads, and lats because they address your issue of being weak off the chest for the bench. If you're missing squats at the bottom, hammer the box squats, RDL/SLDL's, GHR's, back raises, and the like because they address that specific weakness, and so forth. Westside is so good because you can tailor it to fit YOUR needs, making YOU stronger.

You sound like you know what you're doing here bro, can't wait to see what you do on the darkside!

Thanks brother, gonna do my best to make you proud. Question.....what is a Reverse Band? I'm not familiar with that....

Young&Hungry
02-16-08, 2:04 pm
Thanks brother, gonna do my best to make you proud. Question.....what is a Reverse Band? I'm not familiar with that....

Simulates the use of shirts/suits, hang the bands overhead and the weight is lighter at the bottom and heavier at the top. Gets you used to handling heavier weights. Ever wonder why suited guys' raw numbers fly up when they start working with the gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhXgra1Qzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6nPLY_990
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hfuFURBRco

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 5:47 pm
Simulates the use of shirts/suits, hang the bands overhead and the weight is lighter at the bottom and heavier at the top. Gets you used to handling heavier weights. Ever wonder why suited guys' raw numbers fly up when they start working with the gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhXgra1Qzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6nPLY_990
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hfuFURBRco

Ahh nice....makes sense. Thanks!

eblnyc
02-16-08, 5:49 pm
mr volume has a new thread..sweet,i will take this ride..

Malloy1344
02-16-08, 5:51 pm
mr volume has a new thread..sweet,i will take this ride..

Yes he does! Thanks from comin by girl! It's gonna be a good one.

Pizzalamp
02-16-08, 6:10 pm
subbed

Malloy1344
02-17-08, 12:38 pm
ME lower body on Tuesday. I've worked the routine out to be like this:

ME Lower = tuesday
DE upper = wednesday

DE lower - friday
ME upper = saturday

I feel like a train hit me. My medial delts are sore as fuck, I'm guessin from the grip on board presses. More delt involvement? Whatever it may be, I love it. Stay tuned for heavy squats on tuesday.

Big Wides
02-17-08, 12:52 pm
hopping along for the ride....gonna be fun

obrien.sk
02-17-08, 10:39 pm
what up jim. first day looked solid, lets fuckin do this.

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 11:22 am
hopping along for the ride....gonna be fun

what up jim. first day looked solid, lets fuckin do this.

Great to have you both along for the ride. Should be a good one..

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 11:23 am
subbed

Hell yeah bro.

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 11:24 am
I ate a ridiculous amount of food this weekend. Between Saturday and Sunday I probabaly took in roughly 10,000-12,000 calories. I feel great today. Gonna eat up and get ready for some heavy squatting tommorow night

IRBS
02-18-08, 12:20 pm
Nice work Jim. Y&H is right, for RAW work, keep with the lower boards. Keep it up.

T. Kemble
02-18-08, 12:34 pm
haha hell yeah man u gota pack in those calories to keep yourself healed up. westside beats the hell outta you

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 12:37 pm
Nice work Jim. Y&H is right, for RAW work, keep with the lower boards. Keep it up.

Sounds good.....1 board and 2 board at most you think...or ditch 2 board all together? My sticking point it halfway up, at 2 board height.

haha hell yeah man u gota pack in those calories to keep yourself healed up. westside beats the hell outta you

Dude, its rough, lol. I love it. Nothing but heavy lifts. I think with the excess calories and rest I will be ok thought. I never have trobuel getting my 8+ hrs a night. 7 is usually minimum, but thats rare. And eating isn't a problem! haha.

Big Wides
02-18-08, 12:47 pm
Sounds good.....1 board and 2 board at most you think...or ditch 2 board all together? My sticking point it halfway up, at 2 board height.

If that is where your sticking point is, then train to break through it. You may want to try this, get a 3RM on 1 board, then go for a 1RM on the 2board afterwards in the same session. The purpose of board pressing is to get through any trouble spots that you might have during a normal press and it also gets your body used to handling heavy weight.

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 1:01 pm
If that is where your sticking point is, then train to break through it. You may want to try this, get a 3RM on 1 board, then go for a 1RM on the 2board afterwards in the same session. The purpose of board pressing is to get through any trouble spots that you might have during a normal press and it also gets your body used to handling heavy weight.

That sounds good to me Wides. Thanks. I'll definitely do that next time. My triceps/delts were fried from the board work. Definitely a great feeling.

Pizzalamp
02-18-08, 1:03 pm
I ate a ridiculous amount of food this weekend. Between Saturday and Sunday I probabaly took in roughly 10,000-12,000 calories. I feel great today. Gonna eat up and get ready for some heavy squatting tommorow night

damn thats a lot !!!!
prs for sure as a result

IRBS
02-18-08, 1:24 pm

x2.

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 1:44 pm
damn thats a lot !!!!
prs for sure as a result
LOL, i hope. I was a hungry boy this weekend.

x2.

rock on, thanks bro..

Ok here is what I was thinking for my routine....let me know what you guys think..

ME Bench

a.) Bench/boards/floor presse/incline bench
b.) supplemental lift ( Db Presses)
c.) Shoulder press/Row superset
d.) Rear Delt work.
e.) bicep/tricep superset

DE Bench
a.) speed work
b.) shoulder lateral/ Row superset
c.) rear Delt work
d.) Tricep work
e.) Bicep work

ME Squat
a.) Squat/Dead/good mornings
b.) Step ups/Box Jumps OR Speed deads if Squats or good mornings were done.
c.) Hamstrings ( curl)
d.) Hypers
e.) Abs

DE Squat
a.) Box Squats
b.) hypers
c.) one legged squats
d.) weighted ab work

Let me know what needs to be changed and whats missing guys. Thanks!

IRBS
02-18-08, 2:15 pm
Ok here is what I was thinking for my routine....let me know what you guys think..

ME Bench

d.) Rear Delt work.

DE Bench
a.) speed work
c.) rear Delt work
d.) Tricep work
e.) Bicep work

ME Squat
c.) Hamstrings ( curl)
d.) Hypers
e.) Abs

DE Squat
a.) Box Squats
b.) hypers
c.) one legged squats
d.) weighted ab work

Break your days up, ie:

ME Bench
ME Squat
DE Bench
DE Squat

Some people even like to go:
ME Bench
DE Squat
DE Bench
ME Squat

I just wouldnt train Bench or Squat 2 days in a row. Other than that it looks good to me.

Big Wides
02-18-08, 2:18 pm
ME Bench

d.) Rear Delt work.

DE Bench
a.) speed work
c.) rear Delt work
d.) Tricep work
e.) Bicep work

ME Squat
c.) Hamstrings ( curl)
d.) Hypers
e.) Abs

DE Squat
a.) Box Squats
b.) hypers
c.) one legged squats
d.) weighted ab work

Got a question.....why the supersets, im just a little curious on that.....also I would (this is just me) move your deads to your DE Squat day and use the speed box squats as a warmup.

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 3:11 pm
Oh i wasn't planning on doing them two days in a row, thats my bad.....The week looks like this....

Tuesday - ME lower
Wednesday - DE upper
Friday - DE lower
Saturady - ME upper

My bad for putting them in poor order...

As far as the superset.....I dont' know? Think I should just do straight heavy sets?

Malloy1344
02-18-08, 3:13 pm
I also like your idea of doing Deads after the Box Squats Wides.....

Ok I'll work something new out, and get back to you both. Thanks Wides and IRBS.

Malloy1344
02-19-08, 9:29 am
Tonight is ME Squat....tell me what you think...

Squats - work up to 3RPM max, then drop to singles.
Barbell Stepups - 3 x 10
Hamstring curls - 3 x 10
Hyperextensions - 3 x 15
weighted abs.

hjayss
02-20-08, 12:29 am
looking good bro...solid leg day...

Pizzalamp
02-20-08, 12:30 am
hey jim
it looks like youre doing a okay w/ this powerlifting journey

stay strong bro

violator
02-20-08, 8:01 am
ME this DE that...man im an ignorant fool when it comes to powerlifting styles....
still, the numbers dont lie & thats some heavy benchwork mr. Volume...goodwork...maybe ill catch on as time goes by..haha....good luck with the new journey on 'the darkside' bro...

peace

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 8:44 am
looking good bro...solid leg day...
Thanks brother!

hey jim
it looks like youre doing a okay w/ this powerlifting journey

stay strong bro
Will do Pizza, gotta stay on pace with you guys.

ME this DE that...man im an ignorant fool when it comes to powerlifting styles....
still, the numbers dont lie & thats some heavy benchwork mr. Volume...goodwork...maybe ill catch on as time goes by..haha....good luck with the new journey on 'the darkside' bro...

peace
The darkside is fun :) Thanks bro!

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 8:47 am
Squats

RAW
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
425 x 1 < ---got stuck in the hole for a second
405 x 1

Stepups: 3 x 10
Weighted Hypers: 3 x 10
Leg Curls: 3 x 10
Weight Ab Crunch Machine: 3 x 20

The stepups were a nice change of pace. Really draining. Squatting went good. Didn't feel warm until the 365. 425 didn't feel too bad, I did need a slight spot comin outa the hole, then I was fine. Gotta work on that lower end power clearly. Happy with the day in general.

Big Wides
02-20-08, 9:54 am
nice squatin' Jim, you'll be surprised how much those step ups help with your squat, its a great way to focus on pushing up with one leg

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 10:56 am
nice squatin' Jim, you'll be surprised how much those step ups help with your squat, its a great way to focus on pushing up with one leg

Thanks Wides. The Squats felt good, and those stepups were tough. did them with a barbell, felt better than DBs.

obrien.sk
02-20-08, 11:42 am
squattin heavy, always good. nice way to finish off the hammies too. glad to see all is rollin along well.

Young&Hungry
02-20-08, 11:52 am
Squats

RAW
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
405 x 1

The stepups were a nice change of pace. Really draining. Squatting went good. Didn't feel warm until the 365. 425 didn't feel too bad, I did need a slight spot comin outa the hole, then I was fine. Gotta work on that lower end power clearly. Happy with the day in general.

Good day bro. Once again, the wonders of Westside pointed out your squat weakness in the bottom of the hole. Next squat workout, drop the leg curls for the GHR (you can do these on the lat pulldown station, but you have to play with how to position yourself) and try some box squats for your ME work next week. Also with the rep ranges, they don't have to be the set in stone 3x10. Spend an extra set on your weak area (ass and hams) and add some weight to them. For example, I like to do a 4x8 or so on the GHR because that's where I'm weak, and then I'll do 3x12-20 on quad work because I'm already strong there. The high reps there will give your CNS a break and give you more energy to hit your weak areas harder.

The rest of your program looks solid bro, keep this train going!

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 4:20 pm
squattin heavy, always good. nice way to finish off the hammies too. glad to see all is rollin along well.

Thanks bro, tryin my best.

Good day bro. Once again, the wonders of Westside pointed out your squat weakness in the bottom of the hole. Next squat workout, drop the leg curls for the GHR (you can do these on the lat pulldown station, but you have to play with how to position yourself) and try some box squats for your ME work next week. Also with the rep ranges, they don't have to be the set in stone 3x10. Spend an extra set on your weak area (ass and hams) and add some weight to them. For example, I like to do a 4x8 or so on the GHR because that's where I'm weak, and then I'll do 3x12-20 on quad work because I'm already strong there. The high reps there will give your CNS a break and give you more energy to hit your weak areas harder.

The rest of your program looks solid bro, keep this train going!

Definitely plan on it bro. Gotta get some more power outa the hole. Gotta hit the hamstrings harder with some lower reps. Thanks bro!

Riesjs
02-20-08, 4:44 pm
Some big numbers here Jim...looks like you are starting this off the right way

Rexor91
02-20-08, 4:47 pm
Squats

RAW
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
405 x 1

Nice. Good lookin routine. You usually use that rep count for your core lifts?

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 4:58 pm
Some big numbers here Jim...looks like you are starting this off the right way
Thanks bro, long time! Tryin to establish a good base, and work up from there. Alot of work to go on.

Nice. Good lookin routine. You usually use that rep count for your core lifts?

Core lifts as in the squat/bench/dead? If thats what you mean, then yeah, I do it westside style.....keep working up til you reach a 3 rep max. Then drop weight and do singles until you can hit a single. I used to do alot of heavy training even when I had a more bodybuilding-like split, so the heavy weight/low reps is nothing new for me.

Thanks for coming by!

Riesjs
02-20-08, 5:23 pm
longtime...no kidding, my head is gonna explode. this is the only place to escape. looking good tho

Rexor91
02-20-08, 5:27 pm
Thanks bro, long time! Tryin to establish a good base, and work up from there. Alot of work to go on.

Core lifts as in the squat/bench/dead? If thats what you mean, then yeah, I do it westside style.....keep working up til you reach a 3 rep max. Then drop weight and do singles until you can hit a single. I used to do alot of heavy training even when I had a more bodybuilding-like split, so the heavy weight/low reps is nothing new for me.

Thanks for coming by!

No doubt, I hear ya... I've never done much of the Westsite spite, sure does seem like alot of people do it though

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 5:35 pm
No doubt, I hear ya... I've never done much of the Westsite spite, sure does seem like alot of people do it though

Thats how I got turned onto it. I did alot of research before I started my powerlifting ways, and everything came back to Westside. It's a solid routine, where you can cater it to your needs and adjust according to your weak areas. We'll see how it goes!

Malloy1344
02-20-08, 5:35 pm
longtime...no kidding, my head is gonna explode. this is the only place to escape. looking good tho

Thanks bro you too. I know what you mean, the Forvm is the only place to escape the insane realities of life in general, haha.

Rexor91
02-20-08, 5:36 pm
Thats how I got turned onto it. I did alot of research before I started my powerlifting ways, and everything came back to Westside. It's a solid routine, where you can cater it to your needs and adjust according to your weak areas. We'll see how it goes!

I heard that... I goto more of that type of rep range when getting ready for a comp, but i generally keep at least 5-6 reps until then... unless I feel froggy and I'll see what I've got in me for a new 1rm

Pizzalamp
02-20-08, 11:23 pm
Squats

RAW
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
405 x 1

damn heavy numbers bro
great job

Malloy1344
02-21-08, 10:10 am
Not a bad workout.....I feel like a truck hit me however...

Speed Bench: 2 x 3@ 205, 6 x 3 @ 225
Flat DB Press: 3 sets, 110 x 10 on last
Push Press: 135 x 10 for 3 sets
Iso Hammer Row(one arm): 5 sets, 6pps x 6 on last
Face Pulls : 4 x 15-12 reps
JM Press: 3 sets, 145 x 10 on last
Hammer Curls: 3 sets, 70 x 10 on last

That was alota shit in one day, I feel like something ran me over....then backed up and hit me again.

Malloy1344
02-21-08, 12:07 pm
damn heavy numbers bro
great job

Thanks bro, tryin my best.

IRBS
02-21-08, 12:09 pm
Not a bad workout.....I feel like a truck hit me however...

Speed Bench: 2 x 3@ 205, 6 x 3 @ 225
Flat DB Press: 3 sets, 110 x 10 on last
Push Press: 135 x 10 for 3 sets
Iso Hammer Row(one arm): 5 sets, 6pps x 6 on last
Face Pulls : 4 x 15-12 reps
JM Press: 3 sets, 145 x 10 on last
Hammer Curls: 3 sets, 70 x 10 on last

That was alota shit in one day, I feel like something ran me over....then backed up and hit me again.

Nice work Jim. DE work has a tendancy to really take it out of me.

Keep it up,
IRBS

Malloy1344
02-21-08, 1:02 pm
Nice work Jim. DE work has a tendancy to really take it out of me.

Keep it up,
IRBS

Thanks big guy. I definitely felt what you and Tek were talking about when you said DE Bench sometimes is too taxing on the joints/elbows. I definitely felt some excess discomfort. I might have to lay off DE Benching ,and do the upper assistance thing. I'm going to see how ME goes Saturday to determine.

Young&Hungry
02-21-08, 2:13 pm
Thanks big guy. I definitely felt what you and Tek were talking about when you said DE Bench sometimes is too taxing on the joints/elbows. I definitely felt some excess discomfort. I might have to lay off DE Benching ,and do the upper assistance thing. I'm going to see how ME goes Saturday to determine.

Another thing that a lot of people can't do are JM Presses. Did you experience elbow pain doing them? I've done them a few times and just can't do them anymore, they bug me way too much. One option is to do Kaz Presses, which are just JM's on the smith machine. A lot of big name powerlifters are still able to do JM's because of this.

My advice would be not to throw speed benching out the window just yet. I just dropped it myself and that's only because I've been doing dynamic bench for a LONG time now and didn't see any improvement, so now I do the bench assistance thing. Give it a few weeks, and if you're too beat up or are seeing zero improvement then switch it up.

Malloy1344
02-21-08, 2:46 pm
Another thing that a lot of people can't do are JM Presses. Did you experience elbow pain doing them? I've done them a few times and just can't do them anymore, they bug me way too much. One option is to do Kaz Presses, which are just JM's on the smith machine. A lot of big name powerlifters are still able to do JM's because of this.

My advice would be not to throw speed benching out the window just yet. I just dropped it myself and that's only because I've been doing dynamic bench for a LONG time now and didn't see any improvement, so now I do the bench assistance thing. Give it a few weeks, and if you're too beat up or are seeing zero improvement then switch it up.

I've been doing JMs for awhile without any troubles. I've had pre existing shoulder/elbow issues in the past. I'll keep it around for a bit.....see how it goes. thanks bro!

Sir J-Werk
02-21-08, 6:25 pm
What's happenin' Big Brother?! How's the powerlifting treatin' ya? What's the biggest thing you have had to get use to since you switched over?

Big Wides
02-21-08, 7:02 pm
I've been doing JMs for awhile without any troubles. I've had pre existing shoulder/elbow issues in the past. I'll keep it around for a bit.....see how it goes. thanks bro!

ok let me see if i got this straight, a JM press is were you take a close grip on the bar, cock the elbows in at 45 degrees, bend wrists back, and bench towards your neck?

Malloy1344
02-22-08, 8:42 am
What's happenin' Big Brother?! How's the powerlifting treatin' ya? What's the biggest thing you have had to get use to since you switched over?
The frequency of hitting the muscles, along with multiple muscles per session probabaly......gonna take a bit for my connective tissues to build up...its going well though!!

ok let me see if i got this straight, a JM press is were you take a close grip on the bar, cock the elbows in at 45 degrees, bend wrists back, and bench towards your neck?

Sorta of.....I'll try to explain this best I can... I take a grip with index finger on the start of the smooth section. You drop down towards your neck with your elbows still pointing out and press up with your triceps. Its like a skullcrusher/CG Bench hybrid. If I had youtube access I'd post a video right now but I dont :( ....

Terrible description, I know.....LOL

Big Wides
02-22-08, 11:51 am
Sorta of.....I'll try to explain this best I can... I take a grip with index finger on the start of the smooth section. You drop down towards your neck with your elbows still pointing out and press up with your triceps. Its like a skullcrusher/CG Bench hybrid. If I had youtube access I'd post a video right now but I dont :( ....

Terrible description, I know.....LOL

works for me, thinking of throwing these bad boys in today....see what all the hub bub is about

Malloy1344
02-22-08, 12:52 pm
works for me, thinking of throwing these bad boys in today....see what all the hub bub is about

You will love them Wides. There great. Just really focus on keeping your delts/chest tight. And press with your triceps. Start off light to get the feel, but Im sure you'll be able to work up to well over 135. Your a strong presser. Drop that bar towards your neck and explode!

Pizzalamp
02-22-08, 11:24 pm
i actually want to try jm presses
im gonna try em tommorow

Malloy1344
02-23-08, 12:42 am
i actually want to try jm presses
im gonna try em tommorow

you'll get hooked bro. there awesome. I noticed immediate differences in my pressing power

Malloy1344
02-23-08, 12:44 am
Well....i was kinda at a loss today as what to do. So I checked out some journeys, got some ideas....here is how it went...

Box Squats
8 x 3 @ 225 (approx. 50%)

45 degree hypers
3 x 10

GHRs
3 x 7 ( still tryin to master the technique, think I did better cuz it fuckin hurt, LOL.)

Leg Raises
2 x 20

Ab Crunch Machine
2 x 20

Nothing special today, in and out in 35 minutes. My legs were still whooped from Tuesday.

Malloy1344
02-23-08, 2:08 pm
Well today was rough. I definitely felt the effects of hitting chest after 72 hours. Alot weaker today....gotta get used to it i guess.

Flat Bench
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 1
315 x 0 <--just lost focus...

Incline DB : 3 x 10
Side Laterals : 3 x 10-12
Reveres Grip Pulldowns 4 x 12-6
Pushdowns 4 x 15
BB Curls : 3 x 12

Not the kinda of day I wanted, but I was whooped

Young&Hungry
02-23-08, 4:37 pm
Nice bench session Jim, looks real strong. Don't worry about missing 325, you hit your max single for the day and that was enough bro. You will definately get used to training everything 72 hours later, it took me about 2 weeks to adjust but now I only need a day or so to feel fresh again. Big things happening here, looking forward to what you've got in store next week.

Pizzalamp
02-24-08, 9:57 pm
Well today was rough. I definitely felt the effects of hitting chest after 72 hours. Alot weaker today....gotta get used to it i guess.

Flat Bench
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 1

Pushdowns 4 x 15

still a good day bro

Ricky P
02-24-08, 10:31 pm
I want to thank everyone who supported me and gave me advice over on my old journey, it's time for a switch, and its time to get STRONG. I'm gonna be posting all my workouts here now, and I hope to see you all here. Please, ALL critiques are welcome, I am new to powerlifting and anything that looks like it needs adjustment, please let me know. I am reading every day and learning new things, trying to figure out the workload I can handle, and things like that..So strap in and get ready !

YEAH JIM! GET SOME BABY! Like where your head's at, can't wait to follow along on this journey. If it's anything like the first, we're in for a treat brother!

violator
02-25-08, 1:58 am
insane workouts as usual jim...great stuff...i know ur gonna get seriously strong on a powerlifting tip....ur a fuckin animal man....

Malloy1344
02-26-08, 10:08 am
Nice bench session Jim, looks real strong. Don't worry about missing 325, you hit your max single for the day and that was enough bro. You will definately get used to training everything 72 hours later, it took me about 2 weeks to adjust but now I only need a day or so to feel fresh again. Big things happening here, looking forward to what you've got in store next week.

Hopefully I get accustomed. I'm pumped for this week!

still a good day bro
thanks Pizza!

YEAH JIM! GET SOME BABY! Like where your head's at, can't wait to follow along on this journey. If it's anything like the first, we're in for a treat brother!
Thanks bro, means alot. I'm hopin to post some big numbers here.

insane workouts as usual jim...great stuff...i know ur gonna get seriously strong on a powerlifting tip....ur a fuckin animal man....

Thank brother, I hope I don't dissappoint. Aiming for some big goals this year.

hjayss
02-27-08, 12:31 am

Flat Bench
warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
325 x 1

Pushdowns 4 x 15

I like what you did here..I think I might try warm ups at a higher weight to see wher my bench stands...my arms just get tired quick guess rhe old age ha ha ha ha ...nice work bro very impressive...

Big Wides
02-27-08, 8:59 am
have another question for ya big guy, i've noticed that on your ME days after you hit a certain weight, like your bench as an example you got 325x1, then on the next set you dropped to 315, I saw it on your squat workout as well. just trying to understand

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 9:09 am
I like what you did here..I think I might try warm ups at a higher weight to see wher my bench stands...my arms just get tired quick guess rhe old age ha ha ha ha ...nice work bro very impressive...
Thanks big guy! I usually do the higher weight warmups. Helps alot.

have another question for ya big guy, i've noticed that on your ME days after you hit a certain weight, like your bench as an example you got 325x1, then on the next set you dropped to 315, I saw it on your squat workout as well. just trying to understand

Basically it was instinct. I knew I wasn't gonna get 325 again. Same for 425 on squats. It was a ball buster, and I wasn't hitting that weight again, however I felt like I needed atleast 1 more set in there. I'm probabaly not going to do that again, it was experimentation. I gotta realize that one I hit that 1 RPM, I'm done. I need to make smaller jumps too on bench.

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 9:12 am
Today went really well. No frills, nothing fancy..

Deads(sumo)
135 x 6
226 x 6
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 3
425 x miss (switched to conventional after this miss)
425 x 1
455 x 1
475 x 1 < ---new PR!!

Single Leg Press
2pps x 10
3pps x 10
4pps x 8
4pps x 8

GHRs
3 x 8 @ BW

Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 20

The deads felt really good. Sumo was interesting, and it was a nice warmup for conventional. Did some single leg presses and some GHRs(which im getting better at) and called it quits. WAnted to puke.....haha.....

DE Uppper tonight.

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 10:18 am
Here is what the diet is looking like

8am = 1000 cal shake w/ oats + Banana ( honestly just lazy, and hate making breakfast)
1015am = 10oz ground turkey/1 cup green beans
1200am = 40g protein/30g carb shake approx. 600 cals.
215pm = lunch break - Huge Turkey/Roast Beef Sub OR .5lb steak w/white rice+beans
4:45pm = 10oz ground turkey/1 cup green beans
615pm = preworkout sup w/ AKG stack.
8pm = Torrent
845pm = 3 turkey burgers w/ brown rice
1030pm = shake w/ oats. 40g protein, 30 carbs, 500 cals.

Big Wides
02-27-08, 10:34 am
i hear you on the sumo, takes some getting used to but hell a PR is great shit. diet is just as beastly as your sessions

Ricky P
02-27-08, 10:52 am
You're numbers are lookin' like you're well on your way to RAW power, Jim. Lookin' real good. 325 on the bench, 475 on the deads. Those are big boy numbers, brother.

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 12:24 pm
i hear you on the sumo, takes some getting used to but hell a PR is great shit. diet is just as beastly as your sessions

Thanks Wides. 475 is one step closer to that 505 I've been tryin to hit.

You're numbers are lookin' like you're well on your way to RAW power, Jim. Lookin' real good. 325 on the bench, 475 on the deads. Those are big boy numbers, brother.

thanks Ricky, there better numbers than last year, but so far off from being where I want. Hard work will get me where I want.

LegendKillerJosh
02-27-08, 1:17 pm
Checkin in for the first time. I think we have semi-similar training styles. I follow a HIT style routine ala Mike Mentzer. It's cool to see more people out there not on the high-volume-wagon. HIT and DC style seem to be growing. I know yours isn't exactly like those but it is low volume, heavy weight, high intensity, and I like that.

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 1:35 pm
Checkin in for the first time. I think we have semi-similar training styles. I follow a HIT style routine ala Mike Mentzer. It's cool to see more people out there not on the high-volume-wagon. HIT and DC style seem to be growing. I know yours isn't exactly like those but it is low volume, heavy weight, high intensity, and I like that.

Hey thanks for comin by Josh. I used to be a huge volume junkie, but I'm doing Westside Barbell style now. I've noticed very nice increases in power in 2 weeks already. I'm excited for whats to come.

norrim1
02-27-08, 1:39 pm
Today went really well. No frills, nothing fancy..

Deads(sumo)
135 x 6
226 x 6
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 3
425 x miss (switched to conventional after this miss)
425 x 1
455 x 1
475 x 1 < ---new PR!!

Single Leg Press
2pps x 10
3pps x 10
4pps x 8
4pps x 8

GHRs
3 x 8 @ BW

Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 20

The deads felt really good. Sumo was interesting, and it was a nice warmup for conventional. Did some single leg presses and some GHRs(which im getting better at) and called it quits. WAnted to puke.....haha.....

DE Uppper tonight.

Great pulling bro! I seen a few posts back that you pounded out 325 on the bench too. Keep the momentum rolling bro, 505 on deads is well within your reach..

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 3:02 pm
Great pulling bro! I seen a few posts back that you pounded out 325 on the bench too. Keep the momentum rolling bro, 505 on deads is well within your reach..

Thanks bro! Appreciate you comin by! The 325 was low for me actually.....I was hittin in the 350-365 range a few months ago. The speed day 72hrs before max day really was an adjustment. Still tryin to figure it out.

Young&Hungry
02-27-08, 8:01 pm
Great work on those deads bro, 475 is a very nice weight to be pulling conventionally. I am a sumo guy myself, but I don't think I'd be able to even get 315 off the ground conventional. Like Powerfreak said, sumo pullers are born and not made, so keep doing what you're doing because you have some awesome strength. Westside full steam ahead baby!

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 9:53 pm
Draining session today. Re did my 60% for Max Bench since I only hit 325 on max last week, so I did it off that number, not my previous max...

Speed Bench
8 x 3 @ 195

Pushups: 5 sets, worked up to 3pies on my back for 6, then a burnout at BW
DB Military Press: 4 sets x 10-7 reps.
Nose Pulls:4 sets x 15-12 reps
DB Skullcrushers: 4 sets x 10-6 reps
Hammer Curls: 4 sets x 10 reps

Didn't do any back work cuz my whole back is friend from those deads. I was beat. Tried some pullups, but wasn't happening. Will nail it hard on ME day Saturday. Almost puked today.....Awesome!!

Malloy1344
02-27-08, 10:13 pm
I've also decided that I'm going to aim to compete in the 242 class. I don't think I'll be strong enough to hang with the 275ers. Not right now atleast. I'm gonna try to drop about 10lbs and stay under 242. I think I'll do better with all things being said. The Goal by the end of the year is to press atleast 430+, Deadlift atleast 545, and squat near the 500's. If I can obtain those goals, I think I will have a decent start. I know my first meet will definitely be a huge learning experience, and I'm anxious. This year I'm focusing on developing my strength and reading everything I can get my hands on.

Pizzalamp
02-27-08, 10:38 pm
I've also decided that I'm going to aim to compete in the 242 class. I don't think I'll be strong enough to hang with the 275ers. Not right now atleast. I'm gonna try to drop about 10lbs and stay under 242. I think I'll do better with all things being said. The Goal by the end of the year is to press atleast 430+, Deadlift atleast 545, and squat near the 500's. If I can obtain those goals, I think I will have a decent start. I know my first meet will definitely be a huge learning experience, and I'm anxious. This year I'm focusing on developing my strength and reading everything I can get my hands on.

sounds great jim
u have a strong mind and an unquenchable thirst for more and more power in the gym that cant be quenched

hjayss
02-28-08, 12:16 am
Draining session today. Re did my 60% for Max Bench since I only hit 325 on max last week, so I did it off that number, not my previous max...

Speed Bench
8 x 3 @ 195

Pushups: 5 sets, worked up to 3pies on my back for 6, then a burnout at BW
DB Military Press: 4 sets x 10-7 reps.
Nose Pulls:4 sets x 15-12 reps
DB Skullcrushers: 4 sets x 10-6 reps
Hammer Curls: 4 sets x 10 reps

Didn't do any back work cuz my whole back is friend from those deads. I was beat. Tried some pullups, but wasn't happening. Will nail it hard on ME day Saturday. Almost puked today.....Awesome!!

looking good bro...see you got pinned nice...now I do not have to look around for you...lol...

Riesjs
02-28-08, 12:26 am
where and how did you come up with this power routine? i am intrigued

Ricky P
02-28-08, 12:35 am

Me too.

Malloy1344
02-28-08, 9:02 am
sounds great jim
u have a strong mind and an unquenchable thirst for more and more power in the gym that cant be quenched
Thanks bro, everyday is a battle to improve.

looking good bro...see you got pinned nice...now I do not have to look around for you...lol...
Thanks Homer, I was also surprised when I got pinned...couldn't find my journey at first..haha.

Me too.

Alot of West Side reading. I'm use the Westside Template, upper/lower body workouts with an ME/DE split. My exercise choices are ones that I think will improve my weaknesses. Its all a big learning experience for me.

Big Wides
02-28-08, 9:19 am

your numbers that you do for your speed bench should be based off the orginal max that you started the wave with, not each individual max that you get from the ME sessions. So, if lifter A bases his DE days off a 500lb press, then during a ME day he happens to hit 520, he still stays with the 500lb press to base his wave off of, since the cycle started with that. Also, follow the wave percentages each week as they go up, no matter what your ME day outcome was. You will get stronger this way and faster as well. Stick with it bro, doing good

Malloy1344
02-28-08, 9:21 am
your numbers that you do for your speed bench should be based off the orginal max that you started the wave with, not each individual max that you get from the ME sessions. So, if lifter A bases his DE days off a 500lb press, then during a ME day he happens to hit 520, he still stays with the 500lb press to base his wave off of, since the cycle started with that. Also, follow the wave percentages each week as they go up, no matter what your ME day outcome was. You will get stronger this way and faster as well. Stick with it bro, doing good

Sounds good wides. Will do. Thanks bro. So for instance.....if I hit 350 on bench this weekend.....should my 60% be off that?

Big Wides
02-28-08, 9:27 am
Sounds good wides. Will do. Thanks bro. So for instance.....if I hit 350 on bench this weekend.....should my 60% be off that?

base it off what it was when you started the bench cycle. then go like this:

60% - Week 1
65% - Week 2
70% - Week 3
75% - Week 4

then start the wave over again, keeping it at the same percentages as before. The only time it switches is when you find a new max and start a new bench cycle

Malloy1344
02-28-08, 10:07 am
base it off what it was when you started the bench cycle. then go like this:

60% - Week 1
65% - Week 2
70% - Week 3
75% - Week 4

then start the wave over again, keeping it at the same percentages as before. The only time it switches is when you find a new max and start a new bench cycle

Gotcha. Thank you Mr. Wides. Always a big help.

Malloy1344
02-29-08, 8:00 pm
Not a bad day today....focuses on explosion. I really have little explosive power, so I gotta get to work...

Box Squats : 8 x 2 @245
Box Jumps: 6 x 6 at various heights. Last set was at 32 inches or so. Really trying to work on these.
Seated Leg Curls: 4 x 10
Rope Ab Crunches: 4 x 20

In and out in 45 minutes. Nothing special. Box jumps were something new for me. Didn't go too crazy cuz I didn't want to eat shit in the aerobics room of Globo Gym....

violator
03-01-08, 1:32 am
Damn Jim, ur dead is looking solid!...particularly liked those pushups bro!
i have nno doubt ur gonna reach ur goals....uve got one helluva work ethic bro!
keep killin!

hjayss
03-01-08, 3:01 am
Still beatin them body parts up...nice leg session...

Malloy1344
03-01-08, 1:49 pm
Damn Jim, ur dead is looking solid!...particularly liked those pushups bro!
i have nno doubt ur gonna reach ur goals....uve got one helluva work ethic bro!
keep killin!

Thanks bro, Gotta keep hittin those PRs!

Still beatin them body parts up...nice leg session...

Thanks Homer, light day, but still painful..

Malloy1344
03-01-08, 1:51 pm
Today felt really good.

Floor Press
135 x 6
185 x 3
225 x 3
255 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 1
315 x 1

Incline DB: 4 sets, 70,80,100,110 x 10-8
Side Laterals: 4 x 10
Pullups: 4 sets, 6,6,5,5
JM Presses: 4 sets, 165 x 8 on last
BB Curls: 4 sets, 135 x 6 on last set

Really strong today. Westside Rocks.

violator
03-03-08, 1:22 am
shit jim!!!, 315 off the floor!!!, u one strong brother!!, how exactly to u get under the weight??, do u use a spot??,outstanding strength my bro!!!

Malloy1344
03-03-08, 9:02 am
shit jim!!!, 315 off the floor!!!, u one strong brother!!, how exactly to u get under the weight??, do u use a spot??,outstanding strength my bro!!!

Thanks bro! I just use the squat rack and drop the pins low and just drop my ass on the floor. I do have a spot to help me unrack it however. Felt really strong on them!

IRBS
03-03-08, 2:48 pm
Today felt really good.

Floor Press
135 x 6
185 x 3
225 x 3
255 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 1
315 x 1

Incline DB: 4 sets, 70,80,100,110 x 10-8
Side Laterals: 4 x 10
Pullups: 4 sets, 6,6,5,5
JM Presses: 4 sets, 165 x 8 on last
BB Curls: 4 sets, 135 x 6 on last set

Really strong today. Westside Rocks.

Awesome session Jim! And yeah, Westside is very solid, LOL!

Malloy1344
03-03-08, 5:31 pm
Awesome session Jim! And yeah, Westside is very solid, LOL!

Thanks big man, I'm glad I made the move over to the darkside. Its more my style! HEAVY HEAVY!

Pizzalamp
03-03-08, 11:12 pm
things looking great here jim
im stunned w/ those floor presses

Malloy1344
03-04-08, 7:57 pm
Well today was fun......puke...

Squat
135 x 10
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
415 x 1

Step Ups: 3 sets, 185 x 6 per leg on last
Romanian Deads: 4 sets, 315 x 10 on last
GHRs: 3 x 8-6 reps. ( I was friend)
Hanging Leg Raises: 4 x 15

The step ups were brutal, heaviest i've gone on them. Squats feel ALOT better. No PRS, but the weight feels better coming down and going up. Much more steady.

eblnyc
03-04-08, 8:30 pm
awesome squats mr. volume..looking great..

Big Wides
03-04-08, 8:31 pm
nice step ups Jim and squatting.....glad to see that Westside is agreeing with you very well

Malloy1344
03-04-08, 8:32 pm
awesome squats mr. volume..looking great..
Thanks girl, tryin to get to that 500 mark sometime......baby steps first.

nice step ups Jim and squatting.....glad to see that Westside is agreeing with you very well
Thanks big man, the step ups were god aweful, I think I had a few more at 185, but I thought i was gonna pass out, LOL.

Young&Hungry
03-04-08, 9:54 pm
185 on stepups after dunking four plates in the bucket, can ya say beast?

Pizzalamp
03-05-08, 12:26 am
awesome job jim

stepups are looking great

violator
03-05-08, 1:20 am
415x1, fuckin awesome bro!

Malloy1344
03-05-08, 8:51 am
185 on stepups after dunking four plates in the bucket, can ya say beast?
Tryin to become a monster. Gotta get the big numbers someday...

awesome job jim

stepups are looking great
Thanks Pizza....they were more draining than squats. I almost fell over, LOL

415x1, fuckin awesome bro!
Thanks bro, not quite a PR, but it was much more solid than my 425 attempt. I'm getting more comfortable hitting depth with heavier weights on my back.

LegendKillerJosh
03-05-08, 4:46 pm
Keep up those heavy weights. If I ever stop the HIT I'm doing now, I may consider Westside Barbell training. It's very similar to the routine I was doing before I started this HIT routine. Nice workouts bro, keep it up.

The Guardian
03-05-08, 6:47 pm
looking good bro, keep it up. Just pay those dues and pound that iron. The more you beat on it, the more it beats you back until you become just like it...SOLID

Malloy1344
03-05-08, 8:04 pm
Keep up those heavy weights. If I ever stop the HIT I'm doing now, I may consider Westside Barbell training. It's very similar to the routine I was doing before I started this HIT routine. Nice workouts bro, keep it up.

Its awesome bro, i highly praise it.

looking good bro, keep it up. Just pay those dues and pound that iron. The more you beat on it, the more it beats you back until you become just like it...SOLID

thanks bro, those dues gotta be paid.

Malloy1344
03-05-08, 8:06 pm
Good day, my throat is getting kinda itchy tho, I hope I'm not catching the bug floating around.

Speed Bench: 8 x 3 @ 195(60%) * still not as explosive as i'd like to be
DB Bench: 3 sets, 120 x 6 on last
Standing Push Press: 3 x 10 @ 135
Dual Arm Iso Rows: 4 sets, 5pps x 8 on last
Nose Pulls: 4 x 12
Cross body DB Extensions: 3 x 10
Hammer curls: 3 sets, 75s x 8 on last.

Overall went well. Felt like dying afterwards though

mchik
03-05-08, 8:36 pm
Wow! Big #s. Especially on those IsoRows, DB presses, and hammer curls.

Malloy1344
03-05-08, 9:05 pm
Wow! Big #s. Especially on those IsoRows, DB presses, and hammer curls.

thanks! Big numbers = bigger Jim. I'm still far from what I want...my partner was throwing up 140s on DB presses, so it just motivates me.

eblnyc
03-05-08, 9:08 pm
awesome job mr.volume..killing that shit..gotta love it..

Big Wides
03-05-08, 9:17 pm
work on the explosivness of the bench each time you do the lift, on ME days when warming up see how fast you can get the bar moving.....same with the DE days. Floor presses is a great way to get the body used to exploding and overcoming inertia of paused muscles.....also this shit takes time to get the timing down, but once you do it becomes second nature

violator
03-06-08, 1:45 am
"bigger numbers equal bigger jim"

damn skippy bro.....

Malloy1344
03-06-08, 11:20 am
awesome job mr.volume..killing that shit..gotta love it..
Thanks girl, can't waste a day in there.

work on the explosivness of the bench each time you do the lift, on ME days when warming up see how fast you can get the bar moving.....same with the DE days. Floor presses is a great way to get the body used to exploding and overcoming inertia of paused muscles.....also this shit takes time to get the timing down, but once you do it becomes second nature
Will do my friend, the weight doesn't feel heavy....the timing thing is just tough. I also read a bunch of articles explaining i should be using 3 different grips. This is gonna be better once I get some chains/bands too. You think I should do some rack lockouts to help with my explosions? Also would I do the rack locks on ME or DE day?

"bigger numbers equal bigger jim"

damn skippy bro.....
LOL, hell yeah dude.

Big Wides
03-06-08, 11:37 am
Will do my friend, the weight doesn't feel heavy....the timing thing is just tough. I also read a bunch of articles explaining i should be using 3 different grips. This is gonna be better once I get some chains/bands too. You think I should do some rack lockouts to help with my explosions? Also would I do the rack locks on ME or DE day?

I employ the 3 grip method and break it down my DE days to 9x3 (3wide, 3normal, 3close). Rack lockouts usually help with getting you past a sticking point, like the board presses but combines the interia of a floor press (if that makes sense). For me I have done them as an ME exercise since i go for max weight push. My DE days were extremely simple on the bench were it was:

DE bench
tricep exericse
shoulder exercise
back exercise
maybe a static hold thing
abs

however there are many different train of thoughts out there, use which one works best for you. keep reading up on this, the more you know the better off you'll be. Knowledge is Power

Malloy1344
03-06-08, 11:49 am
I employ the 3 grip method and break it down my DE days to 9x3 (3wide, 3normal, 3close). Rack lockouts usually help with getting you past a sticking point, like the board presses but combines the interia of a floor press (if that makes sense). For me I have done them as an ME exercise since i go for max weight push. My DE days were extremely simple on the bench were it was:

DE bench
tricep exericse
shoulder exercise
back exercise
maybe a static hold thing
abs

however there are many different train of thoughts out there, use which one works best for you. keep reading up on this, the more you know the better off you'll be. Knowledge is Power

makes perfect sense. I'll just focus on getting in the groove with the speed. I really feel foolish for neglecting explosive power in my workouts over the past few years, but now atleast I know my weak points. Thank you Wides. I will let you know how it goes. Probabaly gonna work off a 1 board this week on bench for ME day.

Big Wides
03-06-08, 11:56 am
makes perfect sense. I'll just focus on getting in the groove with the speed. I really feel foolish for neglecting explosive power in my workouts over the past few years, but now atleast I know my weak points. Thank you Wides. I will let you know how it goes. Probabaly gonna work off a 1 board this week on bench for ME day.

no problem Jim, and dont feel foolish. Yes get into the groove of the DE days before you add the chains/bands, it is a completly different feel on the bench with them. Finding your weak points and working on them is the basis of Westside.

Hoffdogg
03-06-08, 1:39 pm
Damn look here what happens when I leave for a few days. Looking strong bro!!

Malloy1344
03-06-08, 10:05 pm
Damn look here what happens when I leave for a few days. Looking strong bro!!

hahah i know right the volume nut turns powerlifting......

Malloy1344
03-06-08, 10:06 pm
Alright guys....sadly to say I might miss DE Lower tommoroow night. I've come down with something. I feel like crap. I always get told not to lift when I'm sick, Toni especially reprimanded me for lifting LEGS when sick, LOL!!

I don't wanna be slagging ass on ME bench on saturday......so I gotta see how I Feel tommorow night, I don't need this cold hindering my progress and keeping me out of the gym more days than need be.....

Fuck I hate missing a day in general, but I gotta be smart.

Ricky P
03-06-08, 10:11 pm
Jim, you're doing the right thing. Don't let it bother you, just hydrate and take care of yourself. Make sure to get your sleep in tonight and hydrate like crazy tomorrow. Try to wash it out of your system. Get better, buddy.

violator
03-07-08, 7:37 am
Good to take the rest bro, ur CNS will thank u for it!
stay hydrated at all costs!
feel better soon big G!

Hoffdogg
03-07-08, 1:39 pm
So as I read through here I realize how different Powerlifting is, sounds like an S&M practice...bands, chains, boards.

Rest up and feel better.

brandonA
03-07-08, 2:11 pm
Feel better bro......

I stopped using the 3 position method on my DE days, I found that it was messing up my rhythem...On my DE day I focus on my set up, getting my arch (as little as it may be) tight, setting my legs and keeping my whole body tight....I then focus on my breathing and explosion off the chest. Not too worried about how fast I can do 3 reps, just one..

Looking strong bro...rest up....

-B

Big Wides
03-07-08, 2:13 pm
So as I read through here I realize how different Powerlifting is, sounds like an S&M practice...bands, chains, boards.

thats why its so much fun.....

Young&Hungry
03-07-08, 2:15 pm
It's one day Jim, you've had years of consistancy so this won't hurt. I am actually taking this week to deload myself because I'm beat up. Can you believe I just said that disgusting d-word? You'll be ready to tear it up once you bite this bug, I trust in that.

Pizzalamp
03-07-08, 2:22 pm
Alright guys....sadly to say I might miss DE Lower tommoroow night. I've come down with something. I feel like crap. I always get told not to lift when I'm sick, Toni especially reprimanded me for lifting LEGS when sick, LOL!!

I don't wanna be slagging ass on ME bench on saturday......so I gotta see how I Feel tommorow night, I don't need this cold hindering my progress and keeping me out of the gym more days than need be.....

Fuck I hate missing a day in general, but I gotta be smart.

feel better!

Malloy1344
03-07-08, 2:56 pm
Jim, you're doing the right thing. Don't let it bother you, just hydrate and take care of yourself. Make sure to get your sleep in tonight and hydrate like crazy tomorrow. Try to wash it out of your system. Get better, buddy.
Thanks Ricky, your words are always appreciated.

Good to take the rest bro, ur CNS will thank u for it!
stay hydrated at all costs!
feel better soon big G!
Thanks Bro, gonna eat up, and rest for a big Saturday morning.

Rest up and feel better.
LOL, don't you want to join?

Feel better bro......

I stopped using the 3 position method on my DE days, I found that it was messing up my rhythem...On my DE day I focus on my set up, getting my arch (as little as it may be) tight, setting my legs and keeping my whole body tight....I then focus on my breathing and explosion off the chest. Not too worried about how fast I can do 3 reps, just one..

Looking strong bro...rest up....

-B
I noticed that as well, I still lack the explosion off my chest, especially for how light I do my speed with. Gotta keep at it!

thats why its so much fun.....
True statement....the looks you get when you walk in the gym with lumber and chains is great.

It's one day Jim, you've had years of consistancy so this won't hurt. I am actually taking this week to deload myself because I'm beat up. Can you believe I just said that disgusting d-word? You'll be ready to tear it up once you bite this bug, I trust in that.

The dreaded D-word. Almost as bad as the C-word ( cardio) !!! Your right bro, I gotta keep thinkin like that. I'll just hit it extra hard next week!

feel better!
Will do Pizza thanks!

Pizzalamp
03-08-08, 12:13 am
how are u feeling today jim?

Roland
03-08-08, 1:04 am
sup bro how are ya?

Malloy1344
03-08-08, 2:28 pm
how are u feeling today jim?
not too terrible bro.....little under the weather still, how about you?

sup bro how are ya?

good bro, just nursing a cold. you?

Malloy1344
03-08-08, 2:31 pm
Well, i felt good this morning, but about 3 sets into the workout i started feelin the cold catchin up with me. It was tough to finish...

Bench
warmups...

225 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 1
325 x 1
225 x 16 <---PR....4 reps from 20.

Incline DB: 3 sets, 10-8 reps
Side Laterals: 3 x 10
Cable Rows(close grip): 4 sets, stack x 6 on last
Nose Pulls: 4 x 15
Skullcrushers: 3 x 10

Couldnt do Biceps, I felt way to sick and drained....session sucked overall.....no intensity. Taking the next two days to rest, and eat. Thank you as always for all your support brothers and sisters

Lowdown5
03-08-08, 2:33 pm
Rest up, get to 100% and then come back and hit it hard.

obrien.sk
03-08-08, 7:09 pm
225 for 16 after maxin out is still pretty damn impressive for being sick. stay strong and you'll hit it next week. all we have is time in this game.

Pizzalamp
03-09-08, 2:50 pm
Well, i felt good this morning, but about 3 sets into the workout i started feelin the cold catchin up with me. It was tough to finish...

Bench
warmups...

225 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 1
325 x 1
225 x 16 <---PR....4 reps from 20.

Incline DB: 3 sets, 10-8 reps
Side Laterals: 3 x 10
Cable Rows(close grip): 4 sets, stack x 6 on last
Nose Pulls: 4 x 15
Skullcrushers: 3 x 10

Couldnt do Biceps, I felt way to sick and drained....session sucked overall.....no intensity. Taking the next two days to rest, and eat. Thank you as always for all your support brothers and sisters

rest up man
that 225 was great considering you were feeling crappy

Malloy1344
03-09-08, 6:58 pm
Well, I went into the gym to train a off the books client, and decided to hit the biceps quick since i missed them yesterday due to me almost passing out.

BB Curls
65 x 12
95 x 12
135 x 6

Cross Body Hammers
40 x 12
40 x 12

Nothing much, just catch up

Malloy1344
03-09-08, 7:18 pm
Rest up, get to 100% and then come back and hit it hard.
Thanks John, will do!

225 for 16 after maxin out is still pretty damn impressive for being sick. stay strong and you'll hit it next week. all we have is time in this game.
Thanks bro, 20 reps could have possible happened yesterday if i wasnt so crappy..

rest up man
that 225 was great considering you were feeling crappy

thanks Pizza, hopefully more reps next week.

violator
03-10-08, 3:45 am
yo Jim!, hope ur feeling better dude!

Malloy1344
03-10-08, 1:29 pm
yo Jim!, hope ur feeling better dude!

Thanks bro....feelin at like 85%......

Sir J-Werk
03-10-08, 4:30 pm
Thanks bro....feelin at like 85%......

Damn Brother, there must be some strange shit going around.... You ain't the only one under the weather.... Hell I went to bed with the shakes, woke up every hour and a half aching all over and then finally at six this morning I got cold sweats.... I think thats the most symptoms I've had in the last 4 years!

Kick that cold in the ass and get better Brother!

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 10:48 am
Damn Brother, there must be some strange shit going around.... You ain't the only one under the weather.... Hell I went to bed with the shakes, woke up every hour and a half aching all over and then finally at six this morning I got cold sweats.... I think thats the most symptoms I've had in the last 4 years!

Kick that cold in the ass and get better Brother!

Feel better yourself bro. I think I'm 100% today. I'm ready to kill it tonight. Sounds like you got it worse than me though. Heal up !

Hoffdogg
03-11-08, 2:03 pm
Good to hear you feel better, it's a MF badass flu this year.

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 7:47 pm
Today was " ME Lower" And i use the term loosely......another lackluster lift....

Deads: warmups, 405 x 3, 435 x 1, 455 x miss ( This is the second fucking time, and its happened at the same gym...I'm thinkin the plates are off at Globo Gym or something....cuz I pulled 475 pretty easy there)

Front Squats: warmups, 225 x 6, 245 x 4
One Legged curls: 3 x 10
GHR: 3 x 7
Weight Ab Crunch: 3 x 20-15

Today sucked horribly. My intensity isn't there......I'm startin to not like the whole regimented routine thing again....this happened the last time I did a powerlifting cycle....I don't like having a set rep range, and set requirements for the day, I am more of an instinctive trainer... I'm just not enjoying the training as much as I used to.

So my question to you all, I want honest opinions, should I stick this out, or adapt back to my powerbuilding ways? If I do go back to the powerbuilding, I'm going to take the rest of this week off, to let my body fully heal, then come back strong next monday with a new plan of attack, give it to me honest boys.....what do you think?

Lowdown5
03-11-08, 8:00 pm
"Today sucked horribly"

You trained, how bad can that be? You did more than most would do.

Head up Bro, it is all good!

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 8:02 pm
"Today sucked horribly"

Thanks John, always good to hear you come by.....

I'm just lacking my normal intensity and hunger..... I might be burnt out.....need a few days off possible....it's been a good while.

Lowdown5
03-11-08, 8:04 pm
Thanks John, always good to hear you come by.....

I'm just lacking my normal intensity and hunger..... I might be burnt out.....need a few days off possible....it's been a good while.

I firmly believe that if you think you need some time off, you do. Take it, enjoy it. Heal, rest, eat, read, fuel the desire and then come back and kill it!

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 8:08 pm
"Today sucked horribly"

I firmly believe that if you think you need some time off, you do. Take it, enjoy it. Heal, rest, eat, read, fuel the desire and then come back and kill it!

Thanks brother, I dont think i'm ever gonna be able to kick my volume junkie ways........I think I'm gonna take the next few days off to re-evaluate my training and plan of attack......

Lowdown5
03-11-08, 8:11 pm
Thanks brother, I dont think i'm ever gonna be able to kick my volume junkie ways........I think I'm gonna take the next few days off to re-evaluate my training and plan of attack......

You gotta enjoy it, Machine said that to me in our one on one talk. He said that if you don't love the way you train, truly love it then don't fuckin do it. Train so you have some joy!

This sport can be so much fun, so enjoyable and then we fuck it up by making it so difficult. Like G Diesel said "It ain't rocket science, we are just lifting weight"

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 8:17 pm
You gotta enjoy it, Machine said that to me in our one on one talk. He said that if you don't love the way you train, truly love it then don't fuckin do it. Train so you have some joy!

This sport can be so much fun, so enjoyable and then we fuck it up by making it so difficult. Like G Diesel said "It ain't rocket science, we are just lifting weight"

I'm sure the knowledge you got in that one on one is irreplaceable. Your right John, I just feel like a quitter.....but at the same time, if I'm not enjoying it, then i'm really doing myself no good....

One of the hardest things for me is sticking to something, Lifting has been my only constant so far...school, jobs, relationships....i never stuck to. Lifting has been my release for year. I need to truly enjoy it, to make it beneficial and worthwhile......

I gotta learn that I'm Jim Malloy........I need to do what I want, and what works for me....I can't force myself to adapt to something.......thank you John for helping me clear my head. You have been one of the most inspirational and motivating people i've met on this Forvm

Lowdown5
03-11-08, 8:30 pm
Just returning all the support I get from you Jimmy. This is a lonely endeavor we undertake. We have to find joy where we can. The "average" person finds no joy in laying under a heavy bar and lifting it, we do.

But you have to love it, be it volume or whatever. You have to ache for it, it has to bring a smile to your face as you prepare for it. And there is no right or wrong way, just whatever way you do it. As long as it works keep doing it. We all need that reminder.

Look at House, Ox, Wrath, Big Ant, Machine, Big Al, G Diesel and so on. You know what the one constant theme between them is? None of them do exactly the same thing. They may have similiar styles in some things but none of them do exactly the same thing. And all are successful.

Big Wides
03-11-08, 9:05 pm
let's put it this way, are you happy PLing? Do you like what you see? If the answer is yes then stick the split out, if its no well then its time to change gears. you and only you can determine what is working for your body, if you like the results. I personally think that you havent given this enough time, but thats me I'm a PLer by trade its how I started out. Assess the situation and go from there.

And anyday you make it to the gym is not a blah day

Young&Hungry
03-11-08, 9:08 pm
I know how you feel Jim about getting discouraged about Westside when you first start. I am NOT saying this because I am a powerlifter, but I think you'd be making a bad mistake if you quit now. You are still in your infancy in your body adapting to this kind of training and haven't attained a total grasp on how this program works and how to tailor it to your needs. This is very hard and at times very technical training, so saying it doesn't work for you when you just started is ignorant. My advice: give this program 3-6 months and then tell me where you stand. I have only been powerlifting since October, but I will tell you that due to my exposure and education in this type of training, if I ever chose to go back to bodybuilding (which is highly unlikely at this stage) I will never lift even close to the same way again. This program teaches you what works best for you, what's important, and above all what you've got hanging between your legs. Even if you decide to go back to bodybuilding in 6 months or whenever, just having this powerlifting experience will do more for your lifting career than anything you will ever do.

You do not need a foot in the ass from me brother, you have proven yourself to be a warrior and have never let me down. In the end this is 100% your decision. But because of my experience, I think if you gave this program more time, educate yourself further on how this program works, and learn what you're all about in powerlifting you will be better qualified to make a decision at that time than if you made it now and be able to carry the lessons learned if you decide to switch gears at the end of it all.

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 9:30 pm
Thanks Wides and YH. Both of your replys have been exactly what I'm looking for. In reference to Mr. Wides.....am I happy PLing. I dont know. Thats the problem. I do enjoy going in there, and moving some heavy as weight, but at the same time, its killing me missing the supersets/dropsets and crazy ass high rep sets I used to do. I've always trained instinctively, thats how i've always been. Somedays i went in there straight for power, other days I went in and totally just abused myself with all the volume possible. I like maxing, and I like 1-5 rep sets, that won't change for anything, even if I do decide to switch back.

I completely agree that I haven't given it enough time, but usually my gut feelings have been right, and following that has been my best approach. I really want to stick it through, but when I'm not enjoying the training, it's almost like I'm going to be wasting sessions. Its such a hard balance between bodybuilding/powerlifting and I can't seem to find what the fuck is best for me.

I'm the type of person who hates having to follow regimen. I don't like having to do certain things, certain days, so I should have thought about this before. I don't regret going into the PL mode because its experiencing me to new things and its really letting me find who I am.

I'm a baby in the iron game compared to most of you guys who have been lifting since high school. I really only have 2 solid years under my belt, really less because I didn't know wtf dieting was and I was a bench warrior back then as well. I trust your advice and your direction because I know tons of you have been here.

Watching videos of Dorian Yates training, and watching his intensity, and constant insanity while blasting out rep after rep, then having to do more forced reps brings a huge smile to my face......but at the same time watching Ryan Kennelly, Jeremy Hoornstra and such throwing around huge weights does the same......

The blessing is I know that no matter what I decide everyone will stand behind me, and not place judgements, which is why I can relax and really think this out.

I'm definitely gonna take a few days off, and think about what I want. I haven't had time off in about 4 months anyways, so it won't hurt to let the CNS heal up a bit. I'm gonna think long and hard, and try to figure out the best route for me, because in the end I need to better myself, and I need to decide overall, which is the right route for me.

Thanks so much guys for the input, it means alot to me......

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 9:32 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crc_0IfLqBE

This is the video that really makes me turn on that switch....watching it pre-workout is like a massive pump up......its one of my favorites, and it's the type of training I attempted to emulate, even though I am not even close to that level, but I sure as shit gave 110% to it.

Lowdown5
03-11-08, 9:34 pm
Jimmy, I am gonna add one last thing to the discussion. My Dad used to say this,

"Unless you can get some other man to do it for you, you had better enjoy doing it"

My two cents!

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 9:44 pm
Jimmy, I am gonna add one last thing to the discussion. My Dad used to say this,

"Unless you can get some other man to do it for you, you had better enjoy doing it"

My two cents!

I can definitely see like father like son, both very wise men. Thank you again bro.

Malloy1344
03-11-08, 11:08 pm
Alright guys, I haven't made a decision by any means, but I have decided to take off til next monday, relax, let some of these pains heal up, and ditch the supplements til then too. Body could use the cleansing. I'm gonna think about things, and my decision...

Pizzalamp
03-11-08, 11:27 pm
Alright guys, I haven't made a decision by any means, but I have decided to take off til next monday, relax, let some of these pains heal up, and ditch the supplements til then too. Body could use the cleansing. I'm gonna think about things, and my decision...

sounds smart to me

Matt Dickerson
03-12-08, 12:16 am
Today was " ME Lower" And i use the term loosely......another lackluster lift....

Today sucked horribly. My intensity isn't there......I'm startin to not like the whole regimented routine thing again....this happened the last time I did a powerlifting cycle....I don't like having a set rep range, and set requirements for the day, I am more of an instinctive trainer... I'm just not enjoying the training as much as I used to.

So my question to you all, I want honest opinions, should I stick this out, or adapt back to my powerbuilding ways? If I do go back to the powerbuilding, I'm going to take the rest of this week off, to let my body fully heal, then come back strong next monday with a new plan of attack, give it to me honest boys.....what do you think?

You are starting to dislike it because you aren't doing westside. What you are basically doing is rotating your squats and deadlifts every week and going over 90% with them too often. Doing max full free squats and full deadlifts over 90% too often takes more out of your body then it builds. You need to box squat on your speed days and max days. This is why you are starting to go backwards instead of forward. With west-side the only time you ever do the main lift is on your speed day and at a competition. Max once every 12 weeks or so.

ME day lower movement do:

Good morning variations with various bars and at different heights (arched, rounded, seated, wide stance, narrow stance, etc.) You need to do a good mornings 2 out of every 4-5 weeks. Do a box squat with a variety of bars at various heights 1 out of 5 weeks and do a pull variation 1 out of 5 weeks. Pull variation is rack pulls, pull with bands or chains, reverse band pull, etc. Do both styles of pulls (sumo and conventional).

On ME bench day rotate a variety of exercises that work as well. Use various grips (Floor press, board press, incline, decline, pin press, overhead press, flat with bands or chains or reverse band) Don't max out on a regular flat press, competition setup as well. Only on competitions or once every 12 weeks.

Basically you will be coming back to and doing the same max effort movement once every 9-12 weeks. This is the conjugate method. You cannot lift the full competition lifts for over 90% of your max on a consistent basis.

violator
03-12-08, 6:45 am
yo Jim!

sounds like u gotta bit of a situation there bro...
let me ask you....are you just tired with the routine, or tired in general....if u feel u need a week off, take it& see how u feel when u step back thru the doors of the gym....
from what ive seen u moving lately, im sure ur CNS is feeling fried, this will fuck u up worse than u think, thats why i lift hard for 6-8 weeks, then take a 1 week 'cruise' of lighter weights/cardio/machine work to reload the CNS....be careful with ur decision bro, u dont want an injury....

Big ups

Malloy1344
03-12-08, 4:12 pm
sounds smart to me
Thanks Grant, I hope so.

You are starting to dislike it because you aren't doing westside. What you are basically doing is rotating your squats and deadlifts every week and going over 90% with them too often. Doing max full free squats and full deadlifts over 90% too often takes more out of your body then it builds. You need to box squat on your speed days and max days. This is why you are starting to go backwards instead of forward. With west-side the only time you ever do the main lift is on your speed day and at a competition. Max once every 12 weeks or so.

ME day lower movement do:

Good morning variations with various bars and at different heights (arched, rounded, seated, wide stance, narrow stance, etc.) You need to do a good mornings 2 out of every 4-5 weeks. Do a box squat with a variety of bars at various heights 1 out of 5 weeks and do a pull variation 1 out of 5 weeks. Pull variation is rack pulls, pull with bands or chains, reverse band pull, etc. Do both styles of pulls (sumo and conventional).

On ME bench day rotate a variety of exercises that work as well. Use various grips (Floor press, board press, incline, decline, pin press, overhead press, flat with bands or chains or reverse band) Don't max out on a regular flat press, competition setup as well. Only on competitions or once every 12 weeks.

Basically you will be coming back to and doing the same max effort movement once every 9-12 weeks. This is the conjugate method. You cannot lift the full competition lifts for over 90% of your max on a consistent basis.

Matt thank you very much, that helped out alot. Much knowledge there that I was unfamiliar with....this has made a big impact on my decision making.

yo Jim!

sounds like u gotta bit of a situation there bro...
let me ask you....are you just tired with the routine, or tired in general....if u feel u need a week off, take it& see how u feel when u step back thru the doors of the gym....
from what ive seen u moving lately, im sure ur CNS is feeling fried, this will fuck u up worse than u think, thats why i lift hard for 6-8 weeks, then take a 1 week 'cruise' of lighter weights/cardio/machine work to reload the CNS....be careful with ur decision bro, u dont want an injury....

Big ups

I'm tired of the routine pretty much, and tired physically. The routine feels stale, and as Matt pointed out, I was doing too much at over 90%. Gonna rest up, and think things through.

Thanks again to everyone for the unbiased support and advice.....I'm still rockin this fucking cold as well. This is a bitch to get rid of. The 4 days off better help....

Matt Dickerson
03-12-08, 6:32 pm
Thanks Grant, I hope so.

Matt thank you very much, that helped out alot. Much knowledge there that I was unfamiliar with....this has made a big impact on my decision making.

I'm tired of the routine pretty much, and tired physically. The routine feels stale, and as Matt pointed out, I was doing too much at over 90%. Gonna rest up, and think things through.

Thanks again to everyone for the unbiased support and advice.....I'm still rockin this fucking cold as well. This is a bitch to get rid of. The 4 days off better help....

No problem brother. Take the rest that you need and come back strong. You won't get tired at training over 90% if you constantly change your Main exercises and monitor your volume on the assistant work. Doing the same lifts over and over at 90% plus is what fries the CNS.

Malloy1344
03-13-08, 4:29 pm
No problem brother. Take the rest that you need and come back strong. You won't get tired at training over 90% if you constantly change your Main exercises and monitor your volume on the assistant work. Doing the same lifts over and over at 90% plus is what fries the CNS.

Sounds good to me bro. Thanks again.

Malloy1344
03-13-08, 4:30 pm
Fuck.....I still can't kick this nasty cold........Everyone has been sick lately.....

Sir J-Werk
03-13-08, 5:07 pm
Fuck.....I still can't kick this nasty cold........Everyone has been sick lately.....

Jim, try finding yourself some Oregano pills. You can find them in an herb shop. That with a healthy dose of Vit C should clear you right up.

Malloy1344
03-13-08, 5:21 pm
Jim, try finding yourself some Oregano pills. You can find them in an herb shop. That with a healthy dose of Vit C should clear you right up.

Will do bro, that sounds like a good plan. I'll look for some tonight after work.

eblnyc
03-13-08, 8:19 pm
i say do what you dig...if you want to pl then do it..it's your choice mr volume..

Malloy1344
03-13-08, 10:25 pm
i say do what you dig...if you want to pl then do it..it's your choice mr volume..

True Girl....I miss my volume alot :(

Feelin a little better now.......head doesn't feel as shitty. A few more good nights rests should clear this shit up I'm hopin.

Pizzalamp
03-13-08, 11:01 pm

rest up jim
hope u get well as soon as possible

Malloy1344
03-14-08, 11:27 am
Thanks Grant, feeling better today. Should be primed for Sunday.

LegendKillerJosh
03-14-08, 11:32 am
I know what you are going through...I was just sick and out of the game for 10 days about 3 weeks ago, and I think I just caught another cold yesterday that I'm starting to feel today. Luckily with my routine I don't mind even resting an entire week. I just gotta do a better job of getting all my calories and supps in this time because I lost about 5 pounds the last time I was sick. Hope your getting better.

Malloy1344
03-15-08, 3:12 pm
I know what you are going through...I was just sick and out of the game for 10 days about 3 weeks ago, and I think I just caught another cold yesterday that I'm starting to feel today. Luckily with my routine I don't mind even resting an entire week. I just gotta do a better job of getting all my calories and supps in this time because I lost about 5 pounds the last time I was sick. Hope your getting better.

Thanks Josh, I think I'm healed up now. I Feel good today. Thank you for the kind words.

Lowdown5
03-15-08, 3:17 pm
Get to 100% and then get back to action. But not until you are 100%.

Roland
03-15-08, 3:18 pm
Hope you are feeling better bro!!!

Malloy1344
03-16-08, 2:31 am
Get to 100% and then get back to action. But not until you are 100%.

Hope you are feeling better bro!!!

Thanks fellas, I'm feelin 100%. The few days off made the burning desire inside even hotter.

Malloy1344
03-16-08, 3:02 pm
Well guys, I thought about it and made my choice. Basically I need to train that way I like to train. I am still going to train for power, looking for some big weights, but I am going to incorporate alot of my old school volume shit.

I can't do a set routine, i've discovered this. I need to train instinctively and enjoy it or I am not going to get shit out of it. I still plan on attempting a meet next year. I'm confident with my plan of attack, and I can put up some big numbers. With that being said, here is how Chest and Biceps went today..

Incline Bench
135 x 15
185 x 10
225 x 8
255 x 5
185 x 12

Incline Flyes w/ incline Press: 3 sets, 60 x 10/10 on last
Decline Xovers w/ Chest Press Machine( not too bad of a machine) 3 sets, 50x10/200 x15 on last.

Seated DB Curls: 30 x 10, 1 rep = one each arm, then a dual arm. So it was pretty much 20 reps per set.

Standing BB Curls: 55 x 10 for 10 sets ( yes, 10 sets, only rest was when my partner did his set, kept going back and forth)

It felt great to be back to this kind of training..........my strength wasn't there but the pump was fucking nuts....

Get ready for some crazy shit here...

Hoffdogg
03-16-08, 3:25 pm
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! Tough decision I am sure, but you have to do what feels right and keeps you motivated.

Malloy1344
03-16-08, 3:30 pm
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! Tough decision I am sure, but you have to do what feels right and keeps you motivated.

Thanks big dog. John told me I have to love what I do, or have someone else do it........well nobody else is going to lift FOR me, so I have to make it as enjoyable as possible. I still plan on throwing around 1 RPMs on Bench/Deads/Squats however....... Powerbuilding is the way for me, and I've accepted it. I must learn.....if it aint broke, don't fix it.

As much pain as I felt today, I LOVEEDDD every minute of it.

Hoffdogg
03-16-08, 3:36 pm
Thanks big dog. John told me I have to love what I do, or have someone else do it........well nobody else is going to lift FOR me, so I have to make it as enjoyable as possible. I still plan on throwing around 1 RPMs on Bench/Deads/Squats however....... Powerbuilding is the way for me, and I've accepted it. I must learn.....if it aint broke, don't fix it.

As much pain as I felt today, I LOVEEDDD every minute of it.
I ditched the log book weeks ago, just doing what feels right/good and I am having great workouts now that I am healthy again. It's ignited a passion for it again, that I lost a little bit in trying to be too detailed.

Malloy1344
03-16-08, 3:52 pm
I ditched the log book weeks ago, just doing what feels right/good and I am having great workouts now that I am healthy again. It's ignited a passion for it again, that I lost a little bit in trying to be too detailed.

Very true bro. I was the same way. I tried loggin shit, but it wasn't for me. I like just doing my thing. As long as I feel like puking afterwards, I know i did it right.

Lowdown5
03-16-08, 4:01 pm
You loved it, that means that it will be successful. There is no one way to do it, no right and wrong. What matters is "Do you burn to do it day in and day out?"

That is what makes it for you.

LegendKillerJosh
03-16-08, 4:26 pm
Good to see you back in the gym Jim. Now start tearin' shit up!

Pizzalamp
03-16-08, 6:02 pm
Well guys, I thought about it and made my choice. Basically I need to train that way I like to train. I am still going to train for power, looking for some big weights, but I am going to incorporate alot of my old school volume shit.

I can't do a set routine, i've discovered this. I need to train instinctively and enjoy it or I am not going to get shit out of it. I still plan on attempting a meet next year. I'm confident with my plan of attack, and I can put up some big numbers. With that being said, here is how Chest and Biceps went today..

Incline Bench
135 x 15
185 x 10
225 x 8
255 x 5
185 x 12

Incline Flyes w/ incline Press: 3 sets, 60 x 10/10 on last
Decline Xovers w/ Chest Press Machine( not too bad of a machine) 3 sets, 50x10/200 x15 on last.

Seated DB Curls: 30 x 10, 1 rep = one each arm, then a dual arm. So it was pretty much 20 reps per set.

Standing BB Curls: 55 x 10 for 10 sets ( yes, 10 sets, only rest was when my partner did his set, kept going back and forth)

It felt great to be back to this kind of training..........my strength wasn't there but the pump was fucking nuts....

Get ready for some crazy shit here...

im glad u found what u love
im the same way-i cant stand a st routine

Malloy1344
03-16-08, 11:45 pm
You loved it, that means that it will be successful. There is no one way to do it, no right and wrong. What matters is "Do you burn to do it day in and day out?"

That is what makes it for you.

Thanks John, you were a big help in aiming me in the right direction.

Good to see you back in the gym Jim. Now start tearin' shit up!

Damn right bro, took it a little easier than normal today.....just a shit load of reps.

im glad u found what u love
im the same way-i cant stand a st routine

Thanks Grant, set routines never seemed to pan out for me. I like being sparatic.

Malloy1344
03-17-08, 8:01 pm
Man, today was a kick in the ass. I don't have anywhere near the muscular endurance I used to have. Gotta build this shit back up!!!

Leg Press: 6 sets, 10pps x 6 on last (didn't like this machine, hurts my knees)
Hack Squat: 4 sets, 4pps x 6 on last set
Squats: 3 x 15
Laying Leg Curls 3 sets, 180 x 6 on last
Standing Leg Curls: 3 x 10

Hack Calve Raises: 3 x 15

Alot of pain today, almost puked. My body has to readjust to the volume. But it felt great.

Lowdown5
03-17-08, 8:06 pm
It will adjust in no time. Welcome back "Volume-Aholic"

Malloy1344
03-17-08, 8:09 pm
It will adjust in no time. Welcome back "Volume-Aholic"

Haha thanks John. There is no rehab for this, once you have it, your done.

I feel like I'm dying right now.....

Lowdown5
03-17-08, 8:10 pm
Haha thanks John. There is no rehab for this, once you have it, your done.

I feel like I'm dying right now.....

No dying. Got it?

Malloy1344
03-17-08, 8:11 pm
No dying. Got it?

Got it! Never.....I gotta make this year better than last......I feel weak as hell right now, not pushing heavy weights, but I gotta let the body get used to the insanity again. Total abuse is going to come soon.

Lowdown5
03-17-08, 8:12 pm
Got it! Never.....I gotta make this year better than last......I feel weak as hell right now, not pushing heavy weights, but I gotta let the body get used to the insanity again. Total abuse is going to come soon.

Make it happen Jimmy. I got your back 100%.

Malloy1344
03-18-08, 6:27 pm
Make it happen Jimmy. I got your back 100%.

Thanks John, the support here is the very best. Gonna kill it next week. I feel like a cripple today though! LOL

widdlewade44
03-18-08, 6:31 pm
Nice leg's session bro. Kicking it and taking names, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

LegendKillerJosh
03-18-08, 8:18 pm
Back on the volume wagon. Noooooooooooooooooo! Just kidding. Whatever you feel you need to do, I'm sure you have well enough instincts.

Malloy1344
03-18-08, 8:43 pm
Nice leg's session bro. Kicking it and taking names, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Thanks Kevin, good to hear from ya bro!

Back on the volume wagon. Noooooooooooooooooo! Just kidding. Whatever you feel you need to do, I'm sure you have well enough instincts.

I know, I collapsed!! LOL. Volume produced great results for me. I wanted to try something new, but it wasn't as enjoyable. I love volume.

Malloy1344
03-18-08, 8:44 pm
On a side note, I really gotta use my gloves again. My callouses are literally torn off at the crease. It's painful to even bend my fingers. I gotta go gloved for a bit to let them heal....ugh...I hate gloves..

Big Wides
03-18-08, 9:52 pm
On a side note, I really gotta use my gloves again. My callouses are literally torn off at the crease. It's painful to even bend my fingers. I gotta go gloved for a bit to let them heal....ugh...I hate gloves..

do you have access to a pumice stone? if so then just rub those bad boys off, or worse comes to worse, sandpaper....haha

Young&Hungry
03-18-08, 10:00 pm
do you have access to a pumice stone? if so then just rub those bad boys off, or worse comes to worse, sandpaper....haha

Sounds so weird but I love picking my callouses off. After a heavy clean or dead day I just get to ripping and bam, problem solved.

Malloy1344
03-18-08, 10:20 pm
Hmmm.....I'll look into that stone Wides. Sounds good.......and sandpaper will work!

and Y&H, I pick them too!! LOL

Heres the problem..I picked it....and it tore....and the tear is right where my finger meets my palm, underneath. So there is like a huge hole under two of my fingers where they bend....I need those to heal up atleast, cuz it's hard even holding grip.

Regular Callouses I don't care about, but these two are hindering things, haha.

eblnyc
03-18-08, 10:41 pm
mr volume back in action..very nice..

Malloy1344
03-19-08, 12:59 pm
mr volume back in action..very nice..
I'm back! Shits gonna get insane soon.

IRBS
03-19-08, 1:00 pm
Nice Leg day Jim!

Malloy1344
03-19-08, 1:02 pm
Nice Leg day Jim!

Thanks bro. I'm suffering immensely today. I can't even move. I love it. This is just the start of bigger things to come.

IRBS
03-19-08, 1:03 pm
LOL, I bet. Well, more volume = bigger muscles, bigger muscles = stronger muscles!

Get on the pain train,
IRBS

Malloy1344
03-19-08, 1:06 pm
LOL, I bet. Well, more volume = bigger muscles, bigger muscles = stronger muscles!

Get on the pain train,
IRBS

Got my ticket, and my seat is next to you on the pain train bro!!

I'm gonna incorporate some heavy as powerlifting moves, and then smoke the muscles with volume. It's gonna be fun......

I'm thinkin about doing one week of training with high volume 10-15 reps, just nuts. Then the next week total annihilate with reps in the 1-6 range. Gotta work out my gameplan. See what works best.

IRBS
03-19-08, 1:08 pm
Got my ticket, and my seat is next to you on the pain train bro!!

I'm gonna incorporate some heavy as powerlifting moves, and then smoke the muscles with volume. It's gonna be fun......

I'm thinkin about doing one week of training with high volume 10-15 reps, just nuts. Then the next week total annihilate with reps in the 1-6 range. Gotta work out my gameplan. See what works best.

Sounds like a solid plan to me bro.

Malloy1344
03-19-08, 8:10 pm
Today was one of the best sessions in awhile. The old anger and aggresssion is coming back...

Side Laterals(palms up starting position) 5 sets: 50 x 8, and 50x8/30x10/15x10 dropset.
Upright rows: 3 sets, 135 x 6 on last
Seated Alternating DB Front Raise: 3 sets, 40 x 10 on last
Hammer Shoulder Press: 4 sets, 3pps x 10 and 4pps x 6 on last.

Decline Skullcrushers: 4 sets, 115 x 6 on last
One Arm Overhead DB Extensions: 4 sets, 50 x 8 on last
RopePressdowns: 4 sets, stack x 8 on last

I am fuckin smoked, awesome intensity today...

One a side night, me and my training partner were flirting with the idea of moving to Arlington TX next year, we have a possible contact with the Arlington or Dallas Police Department. Train at Metroflex and live it up.......we'll see what happens....gotta get outa Florida some day.

Lowdown5
03-19-08, 8:20 pm
Good day Jimmy.

MetroFlex would be cool, you couldn't help but be motivated!

Malloy1344
03-19-08, 9:01 pm
Good day Jimmy.

MetroFlex would be cool, you couldn't help but be motivated!

Hell yeah John. I hope it happens.

Pizzalamp
03-19-08, 9:31 pm
Today was one of the best sessions in awhile. The old anger and aggresssion is coming back...

Side Laterals(palms up starting position) 5 sets: 50 x 8, and 50x8/30x10/15x10 dropset.
Upright rows: 3 sets, 135 x 6 on last
Seated Alternating DB Front Raise: 3 sets, 40 x 10 on last
Hammer Shoulder Press: 4 sets, 3pps x 10 and 4pps x 6 on last.

Decline Skullcrushers: 4 sets, 115 x 6 on last
One Arm Overhead DB Extensions: 4 sets, 50 x 8 on last
RopePressdowns: 4 sets, stack x 8 on last

I am fuckin smoked, awesome intensity today...

One a side night, me and my training partner were flirting with the idea of moving to Arlington TX next year, we have a possible contact with the Arlington or Dallas Police Department. Train at Metroflex and live it up.......we'll see what happens....gotta get outa Florida some day.

awesome job!
metroflex very cool!

Big Wides
03-19-08, 10:14 pm
looks like the crazied madman is back in action.....good shit Jim and TX you say? Well that is def a change of pace.

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 8:58 am
awesome job!
metroflex very cool!

Thanks Grant, Its a definite possibility....

looks like the crazied madman is back in action.....good shit Jim and TX you say? Well that is def a change of pace.
The madman is back.......Texas would be a nice change of pace from Florida. I can't justify ever raising a family in this superficial area. So I'd be moving eventually....may as well start now.

ghost
03-20-08, 9:06 am
Thanks Grant, Its a definite possibility....

The madman is back.......Texas would be a nice change of pace from Florida. I can't justify ever raising a family in this superficial area. So I'd be moving eventually....may as well start now.

Tx huh.... ive been playing with the notion of moving there as well lately.!

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 9:14 am
Tx huh.... ive been playing with the notion of moving there as well lately.!

Yeah dude, I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan as well. So I'd get to go to Cowboys games, train at Metroflex, and be a cop......it pretty much sounds amazing.... LOL

ghost
03-20-08, 9:19 am
Yeah dude, I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan as well. So I'd get to go to Cowboys games, train at Metroflex, and be a cop......it pretty much sounds amazing.... LOL

ive been applying at a LOT of jobs in the San Antonio area.

i hate michigan. im tired of this economy, weather, all that shit.

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 9:44 am
ive been applying at a LOT of jobs in the San Antonio area.

i hate michigan. im tired of this economy, weather, all that shit.

I hear that, I'm sick of Florida.....the superficial and fake people drive me nuts. Not to mention I pay a shit ton for rent, and its not even for a real nice place. I can get a place 3x as nice in Arlington for the same I pay now.

LegendKillerJosh
03-20-08, 10:05 am
Crazy delt and tricep session yesterday. I'm diggin the pre-exhaust - laterals and upright rows before hammer shoulder press. Awesome work.

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 10:18 am
Crazy delt and tricep session yesterday. I'm diggin the pre-exhaust - laterals and upright rows before hammer shoulder press. Awesome work.

Thanks Josh. I really thought my pressing power would suffer, but the 4pps felt stronger than ever. Seems all the preexhaust warmed up the shoulder girdles and A/Cs very well.

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 10:45 am
Scale said 260 last night.....someone asked me WTF i've been eating. hahaha. 275 by September when I go home for my boys wedding.

mchik
03-20-08, 2:47 pm
growin' like a weed i see!!!

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 4:38 pm
growin' like a weed i see!!!

Haha, tryin my best. The couple days off helped alot. Feeling intensity like crazy again.

Hoffdogg
03-20-08, 5:08 pm
Dude 50lb side laterals? daaaaamn!

Sir J-Werk
03-20-08, 5:11 pm
Jim, I have to echo what you talked about the other day about training on instinct. My workouts just aren't enjoyable unless I let myself go off the cuff a bit.... Thought I would try this routine I read up on and it just isn't fun.... Kinda like what you were saying about the PL routine.... Guess we both learned our leassons. LOL!

Toni69
03-20-08, 5:55 pm
Thanks Josh. I really thought my pressing power would suffer, but the 4pps felt stronger than ever. Seems all the preexhaust warmed up the shoulder girdles and A/Cs very well.

I talked about pre-exhaust in a few threads already (Hoffdogg's for one). I love this intensity priniciple. I use it on leg day...leg ext before the heavy compound stuff and I have done it on chest day by going with incline flys before presses...killer stuff. It warms you up, gets you pumped..and improves on your bigger lifts.

Great work Jim!

Young&Hungry
03-20-08, 9:04 pm
Strong shoulder session bro. I agree with the general consensus that the 50's on the side laterals are fuckin' sick! Keep going hard at what ya do best brother.

Pizzalamp
03-20-08, 9:08 pm
sup bro

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 10:05 pm
Dude 50lb side laterals? daaaaamn!
Thanks Bro! It may have been a PR...not sure..

Jim, I have to echo what you talked about the other day about training on instinct. My workouts just aren't enjoyable unless I let myself go off the cuff a bit.... Thought I would try this routine I read up on and it just isn't fun.... Kinda like what you were saying about the PL routine.... Guess we both learned our leassons. LOL!

Pretty much bro, but thats what its all about. Trying new things, and learning from them. I made my fair share of wrong choices in this game and life in general! LOL

I talked about pre-exhaust in a few threads already (Hoffdogg's for one). I love this intensity priniciple. I use it on leg day...leg ext before the heavy compound stuff and I have done it on chest day by going with incline flys before presses...killer stuff. It warms you up, gets you pumped..and improves on your bigger lifts.

Great work Jim!
Thanks Toni! I agree 100%. It made a massive difference in my pressing because my delts were already so tight...

Strong shoulder session bro. I agree with the general consensus that the 50's on the side laterals are fuckin' sick! Keep going hard at what ya do best brother.
Will do my friend, the 50's felt clean, and with a pause at the top. 60's next week for sure.

sup bro
Not much Grant, playing some Call of Duty a little while ago, preppin to go to bed. Just ate a Spinach/Tomatoe Pizza in preparation for Back day tommorow.

Lowdown5
03-20-08, 10:07 pm
Pizza before bed huh? Gotta love bulking!

eblnyc
03-20-08, 10:08 pm
sweet mr volume..strong my boy..

Malloy1344
03-20-08, 10:26 pm
Pizza before bed huh? Gotta love bulking!
lol bulking is quite fantastic......the cut has to come sooner or later though. I think I'll be ok however..

sweet mr volume..strong my boy..

Thanks girl....Mr volume might go overkill tommorow night for back....we'll see..

Pizzalamp
03-20-08, 10:38 pm
that pizza sounds great

Malloy1344
03-21-08, 8:31 pm
Today was a brutal day....fucking brutal......I had to swallow my puke twice...

Reverse grip pulldowns: 5 sets, stack x 4 on last
BB Rows: 4 sets, 315 x 6 on last
Close Grip Cable Rows: 4 sets, stack x 8 on last
DB Rows: 140 x 12 for 2 sets

Nose pulls superset w/ seated real laterals: 3 sets x 15/10

Volume Ahoy today..........ugh...I feel like a truck hit me....

norrim1
03-21-08, 8:33 pm

Haha...at least you kept your food down! Do you do nose pulls often? I've yet to try them, but I hear many good things about them.

Lowdown5
03-21-08, 8:33 pm
And it feels good feeling like a truck hit you huh??

Malloy1344
03-21-08, 8:36 pm
Haha...at least you kept your food down! Do you do nose pulls often? I've yet to try them, but I hear many good things about them.
I am a firm believer in nose pulls. I use the rope and usually do them seated. Noticed better thickness in my upperback from them. Try em!!

And it feels good feeling like a truck hit you huh??

LOL, yes...it feels awesome!! I know that i gave it all in there..

Pizzalamp
03-21-08, 9:09 pm
nice bro
the old jim is back

Big Wides
03-21-08, 10:08 pm
your psychotic and I'm liking every minute of it.....way to go you crazy SOB

Roland
03-22-08, 12:22 am

oood workout man!

Malloy1344
03-22-08, 12:29 pm
nice bro
the old jim is back
He is back, LOL. Thanks Grant.

your psychotic and I'm liking every minute of it.....way to go you crazy SOB
Hahaha...thanks Wides, I had someone tell me I should smile more when I'm in the gym, I laughed...

oood workout man!
Thanks Roland, I'm in utter agony today. My back is smoked.

Lowdown5
03-22-08, 12:30 pm
Hey Jimmy, how goes it today?

Malloy1344
03-22-08, 12:32 pm
Hey Jimmy, how goes it today?

I'm beat. LOL. I woke up today and couldn't get outa bed I was so sore. But my friend is having a BBQ today. So that means lots of burgers. Gotta get some serious food in me today. How about you my friend? how are things?

Lowdown5
03-22-08, 12:35 pm
I'm beat. LOL. I woke up today and couldn't get outa bed I was so sore. But my friend is having a BBQ today. So that means lots of burgers. Gotta get some serious food in me today. How about you my friend? how are things?

Enjoy the BBQ. Just chillin, watching some college basketball. Need to do some yard work, probably tomorrow.

Sugarbutt
03-22-08, 12:43 pm

Nice workout!! Just reading that almost makes me throw up! =)

Enforcer
03-22-08, 12:47 pm

Fuckin sick bro- love how u just chewed it back and kept on going. That is Animal. Most people when they feel qeezy or light headed will stop or go lighter- u worked through the pain. That is what it is all about. That is the only way you will grow. And while you are growing all others will perish.