PDA

View Full Version : Mattman: Life after 40!

Mattman33
02-24-08, 7:45 pm
Let me first say that I had no idea what I stumbled upon when doing some mild research on various possible supplements. I cannot believe the resource of information and real world experience that lives within these walls. I know I have days and days worrth of reading to do to find the answers to my questions. Thank god there is a serach button...

I figured I would start this right away. I hope I am not jumping the gun. I am 40. I am tall, and have always be told by coaches and fellow athletes that I was never going to be big! I was told that I was too tall, too athletic, and that it would be unhealthly for me anyways. yada yada yada!

So here I am. I am 6'8", and have been sitting around 240 for the last 2-3 years. It was work getting to that point (from the 200 pound swimmer that I was in college). I knew nothing about supplements, and did everything from pure nutrition and lifting. Hell I did not even know if I was lifting right.

Skip to the present. I tried stak 2 (I guess it is just stak now) over the summer to give myself a break from the nanovapor that I had been using. In those 3 weeks I could not believe what happened to me in the gym. i was doing a measely 5 reps at 225 (my endurance sucks). Suddenly I was hitting 10-12 without an issue. Umm I didn't think it worked like that. Ok, so I take my week off and found the animalpak.com site (not the forums yet). I took the sites recommendation and added pump and nitro to my stak. Again I was amazed at how I felt in the gym. Oh and I added 8-10 pounds in those 2 months.

So Here I am! My journey to "The way of the Animal" has started. More to come.

Mattman33
02-24-08, 8:04 pm
Figured I had better post that before I deleted it. I do stupid stuff like that all of the time.

Here are my current stats as well as some of my goals. I am not posting anything here to be motivated. I am already more motivated that you would probably believe. I want to use this public 'journey' to get advice from you, and to make myself slightly more accountable for my actions in the gym.

Currently:
255 lbs at 15% bodyfat

The next step:
275 lbs at 8-10% bodyfat would be a great place for me. It would not be the end result, but it would make me happy.

Lifting Benchmarks for reference:
Deadlift: 315 for 6 reps
Flat Bench: 275 for 3 reps (Max is 315)
Pullups: (Man do I hate these) 4-5 with good form
Straightbar Curl: 135 for 8 reps

Workout:
Sunday: Chest and Biceps (Cardio in Am)
Monday: Abs, Calves, and Cardio ( My off day)
Tuesday:Pullups, Dips, Shrugs, Overhead Presses
Wednesday: Legs, and Biceps (Cardio in Am)
Thursday: Light Bench (Speed Work) and Triceps
Friday: Back and Shrugs (Cardio in AM)
Sat: Shoulders and Triceps (Laterals, and Pushdowns only)

Current Stak
M-Stak
Shock Therapy
Storm, BCAA Stack, and Glutamine (*Big Ant's Drink)
PWO Protein Drink

*I have to tell you that I have taken this drink for 3 workouts. I have had 3 of the best workouts in my life. I almost feel that I can actually feel myself growing. I can't say enough about having this info out here on these forums. Awesome!

More to come...

Mattman33
07-14-08, 7:40 am
Ok. Update after 4 months. Hopefully I will start to use this more in the future.

I have been tall and skinny my entire life. Yesterday I saw someone at the gym that has not seen me in 6-8 months and his only comment was "Dude, you have gotten big! What have you been doing?" My response was that "I finally started to eat and train like an ANIMAL!"

Yesterday was a good day in the gym

Chest/Shoulders
Incline Bench 5 sets of 8,6,3,3,10 reps respectively

Flat DB (100's)/Flat Bench (225) compound movement for total reps for 3 sets
*I averaged 8-10 with the DB's and the 4-5 with the bar.

1 set of body weight bench for total reps. I was pleased with 6 today considering the prior workload

Flye Machine 3 sets of 20 (focusing on inner ranges only)

Flat flyes/Incline flyes combo 3 sets of 10 for each

Front laterals/side laterals 3 sets of 15 for each

Side laterals 3 sets of 8-10

Rear laterals/rear raises (not really sure as to the name for this but is does really hit that rear head) for 3 sets of 10-15 for each

*I have issues with doing presses for shoulders on the same day that I do bench, so we split the shoulder presses up to a sperate day.

Mattman33
07-14-08, 7:45 am
Current Split
Sunday - Chest/Shoulders (mostly laterals)
Monday - Pullups (lots and lots throughtout the day), Calves, and forearms
Tuesday - Arms
Wednesday - Legs/Shoulders (Presses)
Thursday - Light bench (for reps)/Triceps(mostly dips and overhead)
Friday - Back/Traps
Sat - Calves, Squats for reps and range of motion, Biceps, and forearms

Current stack
Cuts
Iso whey
Bcaa stack
Shock Therapy
Storm
*I am adding Flex today

Mattman33
07-14-08, 7:49 am
I have learned here about how much diet really does impact so I have taken the time to try to get a grasp of it and start to practice it. I have added 2 meals per day, and have really started to see a difference.

As I mentioned above I am have been on cuts for the last two weeks. I have also increased my diet as well. I have actually gained a few pounds, but have seen a tremendous difference in definition that I am amazed.

All I can say is that I am going to continue reading all of the great information here and trying to apply it into my training. Thanks for everyone who has posted here at these forvm's as they have all helped me in some way or another.

Shukin
07-14-08, 8:47 am
Welcome to the Forvm! Like your post so far, I just turned forty myself so it's good to see you in here. You might look into Torrent for post workout, it is the shit! you will make even greater gains and rest assured that your PWO is spot on! I don't know what your financial situation is but you might look into Nitro or EAA stack as well. I love the universal line....

Keep posting!

S
P.S. If you haven't read G Diesel's ANTE UP, Do; http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=216&section=training

Mattman33
07-15-08, 8:34 pm
P.S. If you haven't read G Diesel's ANTE UP, Do; http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=216&section=training

I had not read this. Great article!
Thanks.

Mattman33
07-15-08, 8:47 pm
Today was arms...Triceps first!

Warmup with light decline close grip presses for reps 3 sets of 20 reps
*Each week I pick a different angle for my warmups

Close Grip Presses - 5 sets of 10, 8, 8, 5, as many as possible at 225 (8)

Skull crushers/bench dips - 4 sets of 10-12 reps each exercise

Overhead DB extension - 3 sets of 6 reps

Pushdowns/Reverse Pushdowns - 100 reps total (Switch every 10 reps)
*No rest - Adjust weight as needed to finish 10 reps

Kneeling Barbell curl - 3 sets of 20 reps
*I kneel on a bench to protect my lower back

Seated Hammer curls (Alternating) - 3 sets of 15 reps

Standing Single Alternating curls - 3 sets of 6 reps

Wrist curl/Reverse Wrist curl - 100 reps total (Switch every 10 reps) *No rest

Overall it was a good workout for me. I was solo as my partner could not make it, but i ended up finishing 20 minutes earlier due to less rest. I did my cardio and left....

Hollow
07-16-08, 2:15 pm
Workouts are looking solid Mattman33! Sounds like you've gained quite a bit over the past few months.

Mattman33
07-17-08, 8:43 am
Workouts are looking solid Mattman33! Sounds like you've gained quite a bit over the past few months.

Thanks. Yes I have. I know it's I have put on a few pounds of lean bodyweight, and I am see more weight and more reps in almost everything. It is a good thing when you can learn from others from this forvm. Finding this place was definitely the boost that I needed.

Mattman33
07-17-08, 8:58 am
Yesterday was legs/shoulders

My legs are definitely my weak area. I am really trying to concentrate on ROM now to develop the full range squat. It is coming but It is very slow. I blew out 2 lumbar disks in my back due to no flexibility in my hamstrings and calves.

10 minute warmup on the treadmill
Bodyweight squats used to help force stretch my lower body - 3 sets of 10

Squats - 3 sets of 10-12 at 135 - Full range - wide stance
followed by narrow stanced bodyweight squats for ROM (more of a stretch)

Working set - Box squats - 5 sets of 2 (I am really trying to push this, but I am having issues getting the bar comfortable on by back)

Deadlifts - 4 sets of 6-8 reps

Leg Curl - 4 sets of 10-12 (followed directly by forced stretching)

Standing Calves/Reverse calves - 3 sets to failure on each (usually 20-25 reps)

BigAnt 6 way raises - 3 sets with the smallest db's I can find (Damn these things hurt)

Shoulder barbell press (standing) - 4 sets of 8-10

Upright row - 3 sets of 15

35 minutes of cardio - 5 min at 0%, 5 at 5%, 5 at 10%, 5 at 15%, 5 at 10%, 5 at 5%, and 5 at 0%

I drink my eaa nitro, strom, and crawl out to the truck to leave.

Mattman33
07-17-08, 9:21 am
Getting serious on my nutrition as well

meal 1 - protein drink + bcaa stack
meal 2 - 2 servings of kashi lean cereal (mainly due to time factor when i am in school)
meal 3 - PB and J and protein bar
meal 4 - 4-5 eggs (or 2 chicken salad sandwiches)
meal 5 - Dinner (Usually a breast of chicken, and veggies, but it depends on wife and what I can get her to cook)
meal 6 - PB and J and bar
meal 7 (before bed) - Protein drink and bcaa stack

I am really trying to overhaul this and I am worried about keeping this going when I get back to school in September.

Mattman33
07-23-08, 6:25 pm
note to self: be sure to take more clubs to the driving range...

my son is taking a golf camp this week so i thought i would take my driver to the range. bad mistake. the size and strength that i have gained since last year came out during the least likely place. the golf course!

i got called a beast (i correctly informed them that i was more of an animal) and got kicked off the range. i hit 3 balls over the hill ( at 300 yards) in the air. needless to say the guy running the range started getting concerned for the golfers on the other side of the hill.

Mattman33
08-04-08, 5:53 pm
great chest workout on sunday

incline barbell for 6 sets (2 warmup, 3 sets of 3 reps, and 1 set to failure)

flat barbell bench - 3 sets at 250 for reps. after incline i was still able to bang out 10 clean reps. i cannot believe i am now readjusting to hitting 275 for 10. that is crazy stuff for me. i got 5 clean reps for my second set, and then backed it down to 225 for 10.

pec deck maching for 4 sets of 15 with a pause

flat db/close grip db (db's pegged together) - 3 sets for 12-15 reps of each

cable xovers/rear pec deck for 4 sets of 15

rear laterals/pushups for 3 sets to failure

3 sets of bigant raises to finish things off

i absolutely felt like a beast today. more reps, and more weight then ever before, and that is with my workout focused more for reps then for weight. man i cannot wait to see what happens when i start to focus in more on power movements. i guess i need to go read matt dickerson's log to get some pointers.

BigAnt
08-24-08, 12:01 am
great chest workout on sunday

incline barbell for 6 sets (2 warmup, 3 sets of 3 reps, and 1 set to failure)

flat barbell bench - 3 sets at 250 for reps. after incline i was still able to bang out 10 clean reps. i cannot believe i am now readjusting to hitting 275 for 10. that is crazy stuff for me. i got 5 clean reps for my second set, and then backed it down to 225 for 10.

pec deck maching for 4 sets of 15 with a pause

flat db/close grip db (db's pegged together) - 3 sets for 12-15 reps of each

cable xovers/rear pec deck for 4 sets of 15

rear laterals/pushups for 3 sets to failure

3 sets of bigant raises to finish things off

i absolutely felt like a beast today. more reps, and more weight then ever before, and that is with my workout focused more for reps then for weight. man i cannot wait to see what happens when i start to focus in more on power movements. i guess i need to go read matt dickerson's log to get some pointers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLOD TRAINING SESSION...DIET LOOKS GOOD ALSO!

How has your shoulder(s) been feeling?

Mattman33
08-24-08, 8:34 am
SOLOD TRAINING SESSION...DIET LOOKS GOOD ALSO!

How has your shoulder(s) been feeling?

Thanks for checking in ANT! The shoulders are doing fine, and getting stronger. Trying to get ready to get back to school, and figure out my new lifting schedule. Took a long look at a "Journey" book and really like how Wraith has it set up for his off season workout, especially how he alternates calves and abs after every workout.

Sunday - Chest/Calves
Monday - Back/Traps/Abs
Tuesday - Arms/Calves
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Shoulders/Traps/Abs
Sat - Off

Hollow
08-24-08, 11:01 am
Workouts are looking great Mattman33! Your split looks real good.

Mattman33
08-25-08, 3:16 pm
First day on the new split was yesterday. I must say that I like concentrating on one body part, and really felt like i got a great workout.

Yesterday - Chest/Calves
Flat Bench - 3 sets for warmup
- 3 sets of 3 at 275
- 2 sets of 5 at 225 with a pause and a very slow decent
- 1 set of 225 for max reps
Incline Hammer Strength Machine/Incline DB Presses (Compound set)
- 4 sets of 6-8 on the hammer, and then 8-10 on the db presses
Flat DB Press - 3 sets with 100# for reps
- 1 set with 65# for reps
Cable Xovers - 4 sets of 12-15 (with a pause contraction with each rep)
Decline Press/Pushups - 3 sets of each to failure (15 plus reps)

Seated Calves - 4 sets of 25 reps with a slow decent
Seated Straight legged calves - 3 sets of 25 reps with slow decent
- 1 drop set of 20 reps per drop (300/200/100)

I took my nitro and crawled out of the gym....

Mattman33
08-25-08, 3:25 pm
Today was Back/Traps/Abs

Neutral Pullups/Deadlifts - 4 sets of 10 reps on each
*I do 4-5 pullups on my own and then get a spot for the rest (full range and very slow)
Rack Pulls/Hammer Lat pulldown
- 5-6 reps with the rack pulls (no straps) and 10-12 for the pulldowns
Low Pulley Row - 4 sets (10/8/5/12) Last set I do pauses for the extra contraction
Nose Pulls - 3 sets of 15 reps
Wide grip pulldowns - 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Pullovers (my favorite)/ reverse grip rows on the smith machine
- 4 sets of 10 reps for each
Bungie cord pulldowns (straight arms)/Machine shrugs
- 4 sets of 20-25 reps on each
Barbell shrugs - 3 sets of 10-15 reps (heavy but no straps)

Weight incline situps - 3 sets of 25 reps with a plate
Crunches on an exercise ball to finish things up
* I will do more abs later tonight when I do my cardio!

And yesterday I usually do my cardio first thing in the morning. It usually consists of walking on the treadmill at varying speeds and inclines for 25-30 minutes.

Mattman33
09-02-08, 6:11 am
Just logging it here so that I can keep a time table for reference.

my bodyweight has been hanging around 250. I have been doing alot more cardio and really starting to feel like my bodyfat was droping. I step on the scale today and I was 263. Yes. Maybe 275 is not out of the question.

My new training split has been fantastic. I feel like I am getting a great workout in every time. I guess the best part is that my shoulders are feeling great and are allowing me to really push on my chest day. Yes!

I just hope I can get my nitro to last long enough so I can order that and Intra-Aid at the same time. My wife will kill me if I have to put in two different orders.

Thanks for reading!!!!

Mattman33
11-10-08, 10:28 am
Note to self:

Accomplished - 315 for 3 reps on flat bench
- 335 for one clean rep, and one slow negatve rep
- Then did 275 for 8 reps
- Finished off with 12 reps at 225

New Focus - Squats
I really need to work on my flexibility and my range of motion. I have started squating every Saturday. I follow that with a 30 minute kettlebell class, and then go back to the gym and finish up legs with lunges, extensions, and curls. It was tough walking today...

Time to go read about squats here at the forums so I can learn....

*Torent loaded for 4 weeks, and then had to switch to Intra Aid because of money. I absolutely loved the torrent and will go back ASAP.

I am now stacking Mstak, Stak, Pump, and Nitro for the next 3 weeks. MStak is taken at least 4 hours apart from my training. Its funny. I take the Mstak and can just feel the hunger starting.

I know I dont post too often here....so thanks for reading!

Mattman33
12-09-08, 8:05 pm
I wanted to try to keep this log up to date for awhile as I am really concentrating on tracking my results. I am embarking into the world of the basic 5X5 workout that people mentioned around here. I looked into it at strongman.com and found it pretty intriguing as I have never tried anything like that seriously. I am adding some other minor exercises to it, but will concentrate on the squat, deadlift, bench, pullups and pushups for now.

12/1/2008
SQUAT
5x5-195
Bench Press
5x5-245

12/3/2008
SQUAT
5x5-205
Overhead press
5x5-85
Deadlift
1x5-250

12/5/2008
SQUAT
5x5-225
Bench Press
5x5-250

12/8/2008
SQUAT
5x5-235
Overhead press
5x5-115
Deadlift
1x5-275

Wish me luck! So far I things are pretty easy. I know it will ramp up in difficultly pretty quick so I am am trying to enjoy the succes I am having so far.

Mattman33
12-10-08, 6:18 pm
12/10/2008
SQUAT
5x5-245
Bench Press
5x5-255

today is a nice short day in the gym, but man do i come out beat. 10 killer sets (plus various warmup sets) and i am done. that is a sure sign that i am beginning to push things.

i know i need to really check my rest in between sets....

off tomorrow and then the fun stuff.

Mattman33
12-13-08, 1:41 pm
12/12/2008

SQUAT
5x5-255
Overhead press
5x5-135
Deadlift
1x5-300

so far here are my 2 week totals
Date Body-weight Body fat Squat Deadlift Bench Overhead
12/1/08 260.0 18.0% 185 250 245 85
12/5/08 264.0 18.0% 225 250 250 95
12/12/08 268.0 18.0% 255 300 255 135

I am interested to see how things go from here. I am now starting to get to weights that I feel are acuarate in terms of my goal rep range of 5 reps. Only time will tell...

Mattman33
12-18-08, 3:21 pm
12/15/2008
SQUAT
5x5-265
Bench Press
5x5-265

12/17/2008
SQUAT
5x5-275
Overhead press
5x5-140
Deadlift
1x5-315

Squats are starting to feel really good. I am concentrating on my form, and making sure I get that nailed. The presses and the bench are starting to get to my upper limits and is getting very hard. I guess that only means that it is time to get stronger and shatter those upper boundaries.

Mattman33
12-19-08, 7:59 pm
Happy Birthday to me!!!!!

http://www.picvault.info/images/537083810_birthday.jpg

Mattman33
02-02-09, 6:11 pm
i needed to take a break from the 5X5. I guess I made it about 6 weeks, and had great results. I really tried to focus in on my squats with it. I started at 185 because I really had no idea what to expect. I ended with a set of 5 at 365, and even did one easy test rep at 405.

i need to start back up. i was thinking of starting back with 250, but any not real sure on that.

Here is my current split. It is split this way becasue I am limited on time, and this just seems to work for me. The second body part not a major focus. For example on Sunday I did dips, and pushdowns for Tri. Just a quick burn!

Sunday-Chest/Tri
Monday-Shoulder
Tues-Back/Bi
Wed-Squats/Tri
Thur-Off
Fri-Back/Shoulder
Sat-Leg/Bi

Mattman33
02-02-09, 6:15 pm
Chest/Tri
Incline 4 sets (8,5,5,10)
Flat (1 set only for reps) @ 250
Low inlcine DB Press- 4 sets of 8 reps
pec deck - 3 sets of 15

Dips - 3 sets to failure
Pushdowns 4 sets or 20 reps (just going for a nice slow burn)

20 minutes on cardio and left....

Today is shoulders. I am limited on time, and equipment and will depend on Big Ant's 6 way raises. I absolutely love these.

calcaneous
02-26-09, 12:56 pm
where in NJ are you from?

Mattman33
02-26-09, 3:24 pm
where in NJ are you from?

South Jersey. Near Vineland/Millville/Bridgeton area.

NJC_Manhattan
02-26-09, 3:28 pm
Note to self:

Accomplished - 315 for 3 reps on flat bench
- 335 for one clean rep, and one slow negatve rep
- Then did 275 for 8 reps
- Finished off with 12 reps at 225

New Focus - Squats
I really need to work on my flexibility and my range of motion. I have started squating every Saturday. I follow that with a 30 minute kettlebell class, and then go back to the gym and finish up legs with lunges, extensions, and curls. It was tough walking today...

Time to go read about squats here at the forums so I can learn....

*Torent loaded for 4 weeks, and then had to switch to Intra Aid because of money. I absolutely loved the torrent and will go back ASAP.

I am now stacking Mstak, Stak, Pump, and Nitro for the next 3 weeks. MStak is taken at least 4 hours apart from my training. Its funny. I take the Mstak and can just feel the hunger starting.

I know I dont post too often here....so thanks for reading!

Nice work man. Keep it up

Mattman33
04-10-09, 9:19 pm
I know it has been awhile since my last post. I kind of got sidetracked into a new hobby of sorts. I started training every other week on various stronman events. I have found a new focus in the gym now that I have been able to test myself in the real world.

This was today. It is me flipping a 600lbs tire. It was my first attempt at tire flipping and I must say that I loved it. Please feel free to correct my form and share any tips. All I know is that is was mad fun and I got a rush that I never had before. It was too cold outside to show off my animal shirt that is always on when I workout.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/33Mattman33/Tire1.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/33Mattman33/tire2.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/33Mattman33/tire3.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/33Mattman33/tire4.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv347/33Mattman33/tire5.jpg

Mattman33
05-02-09, 11:34 am
getting ready for my first ABC in deleware soon. i am psyched to train with others from the boards and put faces to the names. hopefully this will be the first of many such ABC events.

todays plan is to work chest and tris. i guess we will have to wait and see if it is just me and my cousin or if we get to workout with others....time will tell.

current stack is flex, pump, natural sterol complex, and torrent. this is pretty much my core stack everyday.

wish me luck...

Mattman33
05-05-09, 10:35 pm
the delaware ABC was awesome. great gym and great people.

i can say that watching Big Al, McFly, and others pulling those heavy rows was incredible. i got the chance to talk to Big Al about it, and used his tips during my next back workout.

3-4 strict sets, and 3-4 heavy sets. i was so pumped that i ended up a PR for rows. (by about 50 pounds). great stuff. i just cant say enough about how great the ABC's are, and that i plan on getting to as many as i can.

Mattman33
05-19-09, 10:00 pm
trying to get ready for my summer training schedule. i am a school teacher and will be off (from work) for the first time all summer. i am setting up the base for some serious summer gains. ground work is being laid now for what will surely be my best summer ever.

the minor strongman training i have been doing has really given my weight workouts some spice. it is amazing how having that minor real world test of tire flipping really comes to play in the gym. my dead lifts just went through the roof for me. i have been doing them 1X every two weeks, with heavy rack pulls the off week workout. today i jumped up 35 pounds for my 3 rep set, and was not using any wraps.

the early squat program i have done will come back soon. i have really been working on my flexibility, and concetrating more for that ATG squat instead of parrallel. it is on.

body weight is up to 280 consistantly, and i am really getting into a better routine for my diet.

summer goals will be to eat big, lift big, and get big! i can't believe i am saying this but 300 is just around the corner....hopefully i can get in some training with the deleware crew to help give me that needed push. i sure as hell know how much i got from the few minutes of speaking personally to McFly, and Big Al. my back will never be the same thanks to the tips for rows. i heard about those killer friday night shoulder sessions at OSX....if you are reading this, thanks.

Mattman33
05-24-09, 9:36 am
training schedule until June 22....

Sunday: Chest/Tris
Monday:Back/Shoulders (rear and traps)
Tuesday: Legs (Dead Lift and leg press only)/Bis (Off every other week)
Wednesday:Bench/Tris
Thurs: OFF
*Friday:Back/Shoulders (presses)
Sat: Legs/Bis (light)

Week 1 is as it is posted, but week 2 is a stronman event workout that consists of tires, log press, stones, and farmers walk. These weeks alternate.

Current stack includes torrent, nitro, NSC, BetaAla 9, and ST.

Mattman33
05-24-09, 5:10 pm
Today's workout
Incline Press 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Flat Bench 4 sets of 5 reps with one set of 135 for reps (35 reps)
Incline DB Press 3 sets of 12 reps with incline flyes 15 reps
Cables Mulit levels for 5 sets of 12 reps
Pushups to failure

Pushdowns for 3 sets of 15 reps
Single Db ext (normal and cross chest) 3 sets of 10 reps each way
bench dips with overhead extensions (not sure of name but it is the reverse of a hercules curl)
reverse pushdowns 3 sets of 20 reps

took my nitro and went and did 20 minutes of cardio

Mattman33
06-15-09, 6:18 am
I know I do not post evey workout, and only ever seem to post higlights of my week. It is baseball season and my son is keeping me very busy. Next is swim season, then piano lessons....well you get the idea of how busy a 7 year old can be.

I have been focusing on reps for the last month in my bench program. I have taken a step back to build a better base. I have always said that I wanted to do reps with 225, and I have managed to get those out to 16. I actually moved up my rep workout to 250 and banged out a solid ten reps. My goal is to get 275 for the 10 plus rep range and then dive back into the heavier weight to see how far I can take it.

Mattman33
07-09-09, 11:19 am
had a great back/chest workout yesterday. i really like the change from the standard push/pull split.

5X5 Squats - concentratin on form more than anything else. Still I am ahead of schedule as compared to my last run at the 5X5 squats and the form is so much deeper, and more controlled.

Overhand Machine rows - AKA Vinny's video - 3 sets of 20 reps
Close grip pulldowns - 4 sets of 15 reps with 1 sec pause
Reverse rows/rear laterals - 3 sets of 10 reps each

Neck Bench Press as a warmup - 3 sets of 15 reps
Incline BB Press 10 sets of 10 reps
Flat DB Flyes - 4 sets of 10 reps

Pushups/Abs and I was out of the door.

Mattman33
08-30-09, 7:42 am
just noting that i am short on time due to a new job and schedule changes. i decided to run a standard 531 split, 4 days per week.

sun-bench
tues-squat
wed-mil. press
sat-deadlift

on the days when i have issues i plan on cutting out the assistance exercises. i figured this give me a good chance to stay in the gym with the extra work, and then can ramped things up when i get more time.

Mattman33
09-05-09, 9:40 pm
1st week of the 531 was great. starting week 2 tomorrow and I am looking forward to the 3 reps. i love the last set where you push past the reps for as many as you can. great workouts so far.

Mattman33
09-20-09, 10:58 pm
4th week of the 5-3-1

this deload week is a killer, but i need the rest. week 3 was awesome. lots of PR's for reps that i never imagined completing. the bench and the squat will remain the same. the military and the dead must go up. might switch up some assistance work as well when i start back up...

mcbeast
09-20-09, 11:01 pm
You are one tall dude...Geez! Where are you from in NJ? Hope progress is going as planned..

Mattman33
09-21-09, 3:41 pm
You are one tall dude...Geez! Where are you from in NJ? Hope progress is going as planned..

south jersey (just about as far south as you can go (not counting cape may)

things will be going even better when i get my dps order of pump, shock, carbmax, intra aid, and nox 3. i can't wait until sunday to start it all up again.