PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Post-Workout (PWO) Shake

IronMan360
01-30-07, 12:00 am
I was wondering what a PWO shake for cutting should look like, currently I do 30 min cardio in the am, around 5 and then 30 min cardio around 1-3... what should my PWO shake consist of?

IronMan360
01-30-07, 12:00 am
I was wondering what a PWO shake for cutting should look like, currently I do 30 min cardio in the am, around 5 and then 30 min cardio around 1-3... what should my PWO shake consist of?

speedster00
01-30-07, 1:10 pm
Are you not lifting at all? If its cardio only, I dont take a PWO shake. If I'm lifting as well, which you should be doing, you NEED those carbs to replinish muscle and keep as much mass as you can. Nothing like going catabolic.

IronMan360
01-30-07, 2:45 pm
yeah i am lifting at night along with the other 30 min of cardio... I was wondering what the PWO shake should look like for this workout since i am cutting.

hscrugger
01-30-07, 10:48 pm
bump?

brennan

speedster00
02-01-07, 1:09 pm
If your lifting you still need your post carbs and protein. Keep it simple. Low amounts of carbs and load the protein. Try a few tablesppons of natural PB to help slow digestion.

IronMan360
02-01-07, 2:06 pm
ok thanks for the advice, I will def give it a try

jarhead316
04-01-08, 8:29 pm
Hey, currently on a cut....for my PWO shake, I have a pack of Nitro prior...I am currently doing 1 banana, 1/3 cup of oats, flax and 2 scoops of whey. Should I ditch the banana considering I am trying to eliminate carbs? I also heard this causes an insulin spike with the banana, which we all know isnt good on a cut. Let me know... thanks animals

Thetasteofink69
04-01-08, 8:31 pm
I think post workout is an exception to sugar intake.. Pile up the sugars after your workout and keep them under control the rest of the day

jarhead316
04-01-08, 8:36 pm
yea i was thinking that too...I am getting under 160 grams of Carbs (coming from 1 large yam + the oats and banana in PWO shake) at 200 pounds, just seeing if maybe I should try to limit them even further. thanks dude

GJN5002
04-01-08, 9:00 pm
as long as youre not doing keto, keep the pwo carbs. they are kinda like freebies because they dont effect the body the same way carbs normally do.

Phenom
04-01-08, 9:27 pm
Hey, currently on a cut....for my PWO shake, I have a pack of Nitro prior...I am currently doing 1 banana, 1/3 cup of oats, flax and 2 scoops of whey. Should I ditch the banana considering I am trying to eliminate carbs? I also heard this causes an insulin spike with the banana, which we all know isnt good on a cut. Let me know... thanks animals

When cutting, I use "Specialized Protein for Lean Mass" by universal. 24g Protein 110 cals. >1g Carb...About halfway thru the can...about to order the next one!

jarhead316
04-01-08, 10:04 pm
ill check that out

zanderfever
04-01-08, 10:06 pm
I just mix in 50 g of whey protein + 2.5g CEE in water and chug.

dsmyl666
04-02-08, 11:41 am
I like:

25 Gram protein (mint chocolate)
1/4 cup dry milk
12 oz water
ice

Macro:
240 K cal
33 grams protein

jarhead316
04-02-08, 11:47 am
Yea i should probably throw in some milk, although my whey tastes good...just isnt that great with water alone. I need a banana to bind the flavors. Maybe ill try flax + whey + milk. Question, isnt casein bad for PWO because of its slow digestive process? Or do the whey's effect cancel that out?

Enforcer
04-02-08, 11:53 am

Def ditch the banana bro. Way too may carbs to be having when on a cut

Survivor831
04-02-08, 12:15 pm
Remember to watch your fat intake postworkout. It slows down digestion.

simpleguy
04-02-08, 2:21 pm
depending on many variables you could or could not have your pwo shake...
for instance, I just began cutting and I'm still having around 90g of dextrose surrounding my workout

you see, simple carbs during and post w/o are a great opportunity for some massive growth... the insulin response makes this possible

however, if I were cutting for a show, or if I plateau at some time, I'll have to ditch them out

so it depends on how strict your cut currently is

zanderfever
04-02-08, 10:24 pm
OK, comprehensive post workout rundown

Insulin spike aids muscle recovery by bringing in more nutrients into the muscles so have simple carbs post workout

You need the protein to get there fast so have whey protein

You need everything to get there fast so do NOT have any fat if possible

So-
0-80 grams of dextrose, sugar, fruits, something very simple is optional
40-60 grams of whey is a good ballpark for a minimum protein
0-0 fat

People with the milk-we are bodybuilders(generally) we can deal with less than 10 seconds of chugging a drink that tastes bad. You do not need milk or ice or whatever. 15 oz of water, whey, shake/stir, chug. done. simple. Bring a shaker bottle with you to the gym and down it immediately after your workout, head home, and eat again an hour later.

zanderfever
04-02-08, 10:25 pm
Pre workout diet is much simpler. 40 grams of lean protein minimum. If you are bulking or can get away with the carbs, have between 30 and 60 grams of complex carbs. No fats if possible.

LegendKillerJosh
04-02-08, 10:35 pm
Even when cutting I wouldn't skip Torrent PWO. Besides - It's only 300 some odd calories. I think 1 of your six meals can be this and it wouldn't hurt at all.

zanderfever
04-02-08, 10:43 pm
Even when cutting I wouldn't skip Torrent PWO. Besides - It's only 300 some odd calories. I think 1 of your six meals can be this and it wouldn't hurt at all.

Would depend on the person, but for the most part, i'd say you could keep Torrent in. maybe drop it the last 2 weeks or so before the end of the cut

Phenom
04-03-08, 12:02 am
I just cut the creatine out of my stack...already lost 3 lbs.

zanderfever
04-03-08, 12:11 am

That doesnt sound good. If its monohydrate its most likely a combination of water and muscle, if its not CEE or Kre Alkalyn...ouch

simpleguy
04-03-08, 12:30 am

doesn't make sense to me... but if you're so concerned about weight I guess...

simpleguy
04-03-08, 12:33 am
OK, comprehensive post workout rundown

Insulin spike aids muscle recovery by bringing in more nutrients into the muscles so have simple carbs post workout

You need the protein to get there fast so have whey protein

You need everything to get there fast so do NOT have any fat if possible

So-
0-80 grams of dextrose, sugar, fruits, something very simple is optional
40-60 grams of whey is a good ballpark for a minimum protein
0-0 fat

People with the milk-we are bodybuilders(generally) we can deal with less than 10 seconds of chugging a drink that tastes bad. You do not need milk or ice or whatever. 15 oz of water, whey, shake/stir, chug. done. simple. Bring a shaker bottle with you to the gym and down it immediately after your workout, head home, and eat again an hour later.

some pretty good advice... just that I don't like telling someone the exact amounts they should have
I sometimes have more than 80g of dextrose (when bulking it's anywhere between 120 and 200)

also, imo fructose is not as effective as dextrose or sucrose for our purposes during or post w/o

jarhead316
04-03-08, 2:50 pm
Ok, i might have to buy another bag of Dextrose and ditch the Flax seed oil. Ill prolly throw that in my oatmeal in the morning. Thanks for the help guys

Enforcer
04-03-08, 2:53 pm
A good shake to try would be UltraIsoWhey. No Carbs, No Sugar. Pretty good tasting 2. I am going to try the Lemonade Chiller soon as I am done with my Animal Max

Big Wides
04-03-08, 3:00 pm
A good shake to try would be UltraIsoWhey. No Carbs, No Sugar. Pretty good tasting 2. I am going to try the Lemonade Chiller soon as I am done with my Animal Max

great shake there, I am currently using it and its great. Mixes real well and you cant beat the taste. Used this after my last session with a Nitro packet

zanderfever
04-03-08, 10:18 pm
doesn't make sense to me... but if you're so concerned about weight I guess...

You lose some of the muscle you gained while on creatine. I'm saying ouch because a chunk of that is most likely quality muscle

zanderfever
04-03-08, 10:20 pm
some pretty good advice... just that I don't like telling someone the exact amounts they should have
I sometimes have more than 80g of dextrose (when bulking it's anywhere between 120 and 200)

also, imo fructose is not as effective as dextrose or sucrose for our purposes during or post w/o

They're ballpark numbers. Naturally, they'll vary from person to person but for the majority they are about right. True, fructose is not as effective, but sometimes its the best you can get

jarhead316
06-22-08, 11:46 pm
I am starting a serious cut tomorrow. I am 1/2 way through Torrent but I have a question. Should I stick to just 50 grams of Whey Isolate + PB For my cut or is Torrent fine, even with the insulin spike...which we all know slows down fat oxidation. I can always save my torrent for my bulk. But I just hear mixed reviews on my question, some people think PWO carbs are okay on a cut, some say its a 'no-no'

TheDarkHalf
06-23-08, 12:04 am
Well i'm carb cycling right now and try to keep my carbs to around 100g on low days (this includes torrent). I usually do cardio after I lift, so i wait and take my torrent then.

However I'd be interested in what some of the big guns have to say about this.

jarhead316
06-23-08, 12:06 am
Yea, I am keeping my carbs low...only carbs in the morning and PWO. I also do cardio after I train so maybe Torrent is OKAY. Ive just heard mixed things on this issue.

TheDarkHalf
06-23-08, 12:11 am
I started this thread a little while back - maybe it'll help

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18748

jarhead316
06-23-08, 12:16 am
I think the carbs are important PWO considering I may not be getting alot the rest of the day.

TheDarkHalf
06-23-08, 12:17 am
I think the carbs are important PWO considering I may not be getting alot the rest of the day.

You know i'd have to agree. Torrent consists of the last carbs I get for the day. All my meals after that consist of veggies and a protein source.

simpleguy
06-23-08, 4:18 am
again, this is all relative to each person... if it fits your macros, go ahead and use it... imo 50g of carbs is not too much to worry, but it depends on how strict your diet is and other stuff... just don't take it before cardio

Macrobolic
06-23-08, 6:21 pm
I am starting a serious cut tomorrow. I am 1/2 way through Torrent but I have a question. Should I stick to just 50 grams of Whey Isolate + PB For my cut or is Torrent fine, even with the insulin spike...which we all know slows down fat oxidation. I can always save my torrent for my bulk. But I just hear mixed reviews on my question, some people think PWO carbs are okay on a cut, some say its a 'no-no'

It'll be fine. Fat oxidation is happening during exercise. Not after.

Also, when exercising, you body is able to push glucose into the muscle WITHOUT insulin. This mechanism keeps going for a short time after your workout so take Torrent after your workout and the insulin response will be pretty low.

jarhead316
06-24-08, 2:10 pm
Sounds good...Yea Im gonna stick with Torrent...stuff is too amazing to wait for

FarBeyondDriven
06-22-09, 12:25 am
Guys i just went through a container of torrent and it was terriffic. Got great results but now im cutting and have no torrent. I have searched for this on the forvm but come up with nothing so im wondering should i still be including carbs pwo considering im on a cut. I have a pretty slow metabolism and am very happy with the muscle i put on during my bulk. My current pwo shake includes carbs and looks like this. 16oz water, 2 scoops whey(48g protein), and 1/2 cup oats for carbs. Feedback much appreciated guys thanks!

Firefist
06-22-09, 12:53 am
i have been cutting for the last 3 weeks and had carbs post workout. actually, id get carbs pre workout/intra/ and post. i felt like shit when i trained with no carbs in me, and i felt much better the day after i got some post workout carbs. im not sure if this is hindering me in the long run, but it is working for me.

FarBeyondDriven
06-22-09, 1:28 am
ok thanks and from what sources are you getting your carbs from pre/intra and post cheers