PDA

View Full Version : Doing work, my own way

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

panzerwagen
07-05-10, 7:54 am
THOMAS!!! Good to hear from you, my swedish brother!!
Alive and well, had a setback last year, but that is in the past now. I dont wanna linger on that too long.
I hear ya on the 'no fire and inspiration'. I struggled with that last year once things fell apart.
When i felt more at ease again (i was kinda burned out) i felt the urge to start moving things again. I just did very simple things at home: doing movements with broomsticks, bags filled with books, lifting TV's etc. It will take you a week or two, but i am sure that WILL spark your fire again. Its the initial push to get yourself going again that is the hardest part. And if i can do it, YOU can, my brother!
Just work within your physical limits and timetable. Who cares about others deadlifting a nuclear submarine. You work with what is good for YOUR back. Deadlift a pack of newspapers if that gets you fit. Who cares others have 60 hours a week to train. If you have only half hours a day: use them.
Work with what you have and set realistic goals. That is all you need to get you going.
Now, do you want me to come to Sweden to jump-start your ass =)) hahaha!

VERY happy to hear from you, Thomas!! Glad you are alive and okay!

Thanks for the inspiring words Bert. Well, I wouldn't want you to come here to kick my ass, so I guess I better put some effort into training. I just came back from the gym actually, and I did light squats today (even though I probably shouldn't, but it feels good so I figure it IS good) - man, I feel totally mangled from doing 'em with 55kg on my back! But the back took it without any effort or pain or anything of the kind.

I see you're doing some good numbers on the deads as well - good for you my friend!

T

Thrawn
07-05-10, 1:06 pm
Awesome workouts Thrawn. Congrats on that great Deadlift PR.
Hope the interview goes well tomorrow.

-Rob

Thanks Rob!
I hope so too!!

Thanks for the inspiring words Bert. Well, I wouldn't want you to come here to kick my ass, so I guess I better put some effort into training. I just came back from the gym actually, and I did light squats today (even though I probably shouldn't, but it feels good so I figure it IS good) - man, I feel totally mangled from doing 'em with 55kg on my back! But the back took it without any effort or pain or anything of the kind.

I see you're doing some good numbers on the deads as well - good for you my friend!

T

Never mind the weight, Thomas! Its the squat that counts, not the weight. As long as you can perform them without pain or risk, that is the main issue for you!
Congrats on your 'comeback' =)

And thanks =)

Thrawn
07-05-10, 1:08 pm
Finished up the strongman log. Carmen is fully dressed now. All she needs is a few coats of clear and she is ready to be manhandled.

I put on the A in gold. Not as nice as i wanted it to be, the can was faulty. It started dripping gold paint all over the place, so on some places the paint leaked through the masking or came on way too thick.
All in all, not too bad tho. I wasnt expecting perfect work anyway with the leftover paint and tape. I am pretty happy with it =))

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/05072010310.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/05072010311.jpg

Brick By Brick
07-05-10, 1:33 pm
Carmen looks hot. Great paint job, I am jealous!

Thrawn
07-05-10, 4:59 pm
Carmen looks hot. Great paint job, I am jealous!

Thanks =)
If i could, i would be more then happy to make you one =)

Thrawn
07-05-10, 5:00 pm
Conditioning training, cause it has cooled down some.

Same as last time:

3 trips jogging up the fly-over. Still a bit hard to breath above the hot tarmac, but it was pretty okay.

Phil800101
07-05-10, 5:28 pm
Carmen looks amazing bro! Nice work.

Sounds like some brutal work in that heat today, good stuff!

Firedrake
07-06-10, 1:45 am
Finished up the strongman log. Carmen is fully dressed now. All she needs is a few coats of clear and she is ready to be manhandled.

I put on the A in gold. Not as nice as i wanted it to be, the can was faulty. It started dripping gold paint all over the place, so on some places the paint leaked through the masking or came on way too thick.
All in all, not too bad tho. I wasnt expecting perfect work anyway with the leftover paint and tape. I am pretty happy with it =))

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/05072010310.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/05072010311.jpg

I think the "A" looks just fine . . . very Animal.

Some guys custom paint their rides . . . you, your lift. <grin>

Thrawn
07-06-10, 6:36 am
Carmen looks amazing bro! Nice work.

Sounds like some brutal work in that heat today, good stuff!

Thanks Phil!
The jogging was tough, but we gotta do what we need to get done.

I think the "A" looks just fine . . . very Animal.

Some guys custom paint their rides . . . you, your lift. <grin>

Thanks, Jim. Guess its part of the perfectionist i am. I used to do custom painting, so i know how good it COULD be. But i promised myself to use only leftover old paint and old masking tape that is just taking up space to work this puppy up again. So i should remind myself it would never be a matchup for my usual standards =)
But it looks good enough.

LOL. Yup. If i am gonna lift that sucker, i might as well make it look good! And nothing wrong with making a bit of a statement with it!

Thrawn
07-06-10, 6:50 am
No lifting today, darn it. The whole country has gone soccer crazy, so today the gym is closed. Needless to say i am rather %$#@*& off about that. I HATE soccer and this is one more reason to hate it.

Luckily enough my brother called. Some more shoveling and busting up old concrete can be done at his house =) I will get my workout there tomorrow. Love that kinda honest work for deload anyway =)

rob_in_korea
07-07-10, 4:24 am
Sorry to hear about your gym being closed Thrawn.
Great work on Carmen.

-Rob

Thrawn
07-07-10, 3:16 pm
Sorry to hear about your gym being closed Thrawn.
Great work on Carmen.

-Rob

Yeah, its a bit annoying, but what can you do?

Thanks =)

Thrawn
07-07-10, 3:19 pm
Todays workout:

Shoveling several trailers of sand, taking an old foundation out of the ground and moving some big logs of wood.
Nothing like an honest days work. Always a ton of fun working with my brother. You should see us, we chatter and giggle like girls all the time.

Hell, it would have been a perfect day if i hadnt forgotten SUNBLOCK.
Paying the price for it right now. I am glowing in the dark =/

Havent finished all of the work yet, tomorrow will be more of the same. But this time i will be wearing a longsleeve tshirt =)

Thrawn
07-09-10, 6:23 am
Yesterdays work: more shoveling sand and paving a new pathway.
Done in a longsleeve with a lot of sunblock and a lot of curses towards the sun.
Today i am taking it easy, taking care of my skin.

My new favorite breakfast: oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon. NOMS NOMS!

Brick By Brick
07-09-10, 12:37 pm
Sounds fun and painful (sunburn). I concur that oatmeal with apples and cinnamon is a most excellent breakfast. Your nation is about to shut down completely because of the World Cup final, beware!

Thrawn
07-09-10, 1:26 pm
Sounds fun and painful (sunburn). I concur that oatmeal with apples and cinnamon is a most excellent breakfast. Your nation is about to shut down completely because of the World Cup final, beware!

The sunburn was so bad yesterday that wearing a tshirt was a problem to say the least...

Yeah... i know.... i SO hope that it is all over soon. The amount of soccer i hear and see here is reaching a level where i almost wanna go on a random killing spree.
I watch cycling? They talk about soccer.
I try to watch the news? Drenched in soccer.
Commercials are annoying by definition, but now they are alllll about the soccer too...

I am ready to tear my (and everybody else's) hair out.

Brick By Brick
07-09-10, 1:41 pm
The sunburn was so bad yesterday that wearing a tshirt was a problem to say the least...

Yeah... i know.... i SO hope that it is all over soon. The amount of soccer i hear and see here is reaching a level where i almost wanna go on a random killing spree.
I watch cycling? They talk about soccer.
I try to watch the news? Drenched in soccer.
Commercials are annoying by definition, but now they are alllll about the soccer too...

I am ready to tear my (and everybody else's) hair out.

I know! I'm confused about a few things here; I don't understand how the tier system works in World Cup soccer. It makes it hard to really get into it, in that manner. I played soccer as a child (like everyone else in the States), and appreciate it as a spectator, but can someone explain to me why Germany is not in the final? I think I just need to do more research on this matter. No offense, Bert, I can't get excited about a Netherlands/Spain final. And the officiating was pretty bad, so there's that as well.
Get some aloe vera for your sunburn, and don't kill anyone. Being a futbol serial killer in prison won't get you a lot of respect amongst the fellas.

TXPWRLFTR
07-09-10, 2:33 pm
Come Sunday it is all over bud. I only watch the world cup every 4 years...lol...
I understand where you are coming from in that soccer is every where on the news...the sport is a great sport and the message FIFA is putting out there is a good one in ending racism.
One good thing about world cup soccer ending is American football begins soon :)
Even though I am in the Tampa area I am still a Cowboys fan!!! LOL

A commercial that had me laughing was the one that has a soccer player getting ready to kick a penalty kick and his fans put cards that form a woman...then the goalie's fans put up Budweiser in the stands...lol...he misses the goal lol

Sun burns sucks! Take care of it bud...lots of aloe!!!!!!!

How are things?

Thrawn
07-09-10, 3:21 pm
I know! I'm confused about a few things here; I don't understand how the tier system works in World Cup soccer. It makes it hard to really get into it, in that manner. I played soccer as a child (like everyone else in the States), and appreciate it as a spectator, but can someone explain to me why Germany is not in the final? I think I just need to do more research on this matter. No offense, Bert, I can't get excited about a Netherlands/Spain final. And the officiating was pretty bad, so there's that as well.
Get some aloe vera for your sunburn, and don't kill anyone. Being a futbol serial killer in prison won't get you a lot of respect amongst the fellas.

Thanks on the aloe vera tip! Will do!
I cant get excited about ANYTHING regarding soccer, so dont feel guilty =))

Come Sunday it is all over bud. I only watch the world cup every 4 years...lol...
I understand where you are coming from in that soccer is every where on the news...the sport is a great sport and the message FIFA is putting out there is a good one in ending racism.
One good thing about world cup soccer ending is American football begins soon :)
Even though I am in the Tampa area I am still a Cowboys fan!!! LOL

A commercial that had me laughing was the one that has a soccer player getting ready to kick a penalty kick and his fans put cards that form a woman...then the goalie's fans put up Budweiser in the stands...lol...he misses the goal lol

Sun burns sucks! Take care of it bud...lots of aloe!!!!!!!

How are things?

Yeah. The problem here is that soccer is almost the only sport to get any real interest or coverage here. At LEAST you have SEVERAL national sports going. Over here its soccer, then a deafening silence, wait a few months and then maybe something else.

Things here a pretty good, even tho we have a heatwave here. Its hard to be outside or inside. I also have a 'easy week', next week i am starting my 5 3 1 =))) Looking forward to that.
I will also be having some improvised material at my girls house so i can train there in the weekends.
So overall, i cant complain.

Thrawn
07-10-10, 8:10 am
Strange to see this country in this heatwave. All sorts of weather alarms we didnt even knew we had. Electricity companies having problems as cooling water is almost not available anymore. Water companies having trouble with supplying demand. Old people fainting on the streets.
Outside there are not a lot of ppl to be seen. Everybody is at home, curtains closed, keeping the heat out.

I didnt feel like going to the gym. I have had a lot of trouble with sleep last two days in this blasted heat. Food intake is also a lot lower, there is just no appetite at all. Its all about water intake right now =)
I went anyway, felt like i was obligated to myself, even tho it is a deload week.

Did the main four, just a few sets of each with medium weight.

Squats
80kg x 5 x 4

Standing strict mil press
40kg x 5 x 4

Deadlift from one inch deficit
100kg x 5 x 4

Benchpress, meet technique (rest paused on chest)
60kg x 5 x 4

Was done, but felt cocky about my new found love for milpress
60kg x 1
65kg x 1 PR

Over and done. Left for home and shade. This was a no fun session, more about survival.

Brick By Brick
07-10-10, 12:40 pm
Strange to see this country in this heatwave. All sorts of weather alarms we didnt even knew we had. Electricity companies having problems as cooling water is almost not available anymore. Water companies having trouble with supplying demand. Old people fainting on the streets.
Outside there are not a lot of ppl to be seen. Everybody is at home, curtains closed, keeping the heat out.

I didnt feel like going to the gym. I have had a lot of trouble with sleep last two days in this blasted heat. Food intake is also a lot lower, there is just no appetite at all. Its all about water intake right now =)
I went anyway, felt like i was obligated to myself, even tho it is a deload week.

Did the main four, just a few sets of each with medium weight.

Squats
80kg x 5 x 4

Standing strict mil press
40kg x 5 x 4

Deadlift from one inch deficit
100kg x 5 x 4

Benchpress, meet technique (rest paused on chest)
60kg x 5 x 4

Was done, but felt cocky about my new found love for milpress
60kg x 1
65kg x 1 PR

Over and done. Left for home and shade. This was a no fun session, more about survival.

Sounds unpleasant, but big ups to you for getting it done. That's what dedication is all about. Congrats on your military press PR!

Thrawn
07-10-10, 12:57 pm
Sounds unpleasant, but big ups to you for getting it done. That's what dedication is all about. Congrats on your military press PR!

It is very tiring here. Its not only me =) All ppl are having a hard time in this heat. Lack of sleep, easily annoyed, cant get comfortable wherever you sit down. This kind of weather is not my favorite.
Yup, i am rather proud too that i pulled it together and went regardless. Was HARD, i spent as much time in front of the ventilators as i did pushing weight. But i did what i had to do.
Yeah, that felt great =) I dunno where that came from, but i just went back to the powerrack after benching and did it. =)

Brick By Brick
07-10-10, 1:06 pm
It is very tiring here. Its not only me =) All ppl are having a hard time in this heat. Lack of sleep, easily annoyed, cant get comfortable wherever you sit down. This kind of weather is not my favorite.
Yup, i am rather proud too that i pulled it together and went regardless. Was HARD, i spent as much time in front of the ventilators as i did pushing weight. But i did what i had to do.
Yeah, that felt great =) I dunno where that came from, but i just went back to the powerrack after benching and did it. =)

That's awesome, that's how winning is done, right there. It was 100 degrees here yesterday, but I'm used to it. I was begging for hot weather to happen, so I can't complain. Sometimes you feel inspired, and that's all it takes, great job on your part!

Thrawn
07-10-10, 1:18 pm
That's awesome, that's how winning is done, right there. It was 100 degrees here yesterday, but I'm used to it. I was begging for hot weather to happen, so I can't complain. Sometimes you feel inspired, and that's all it takes, great job on your part!

I guess that is the biggest problem: we have hot weather sometimes, true, but the last week it has been unusually hot here (right now its a little over a 100 INDOORS) We are just not used to this, so we suffer more from it.
Yeah, i felt totally inspired somehow. I guess one part is the new found technique with the closer grip. Now i can finally DO it instead of fearing it. And i didnt even use a belt or wristwraps for that pr...

Thrawn
07-10-10, 4:47 pm
It starts next week.
I am gonna stay as close to Jim's philosophy as i can. Go in, do what needs to be done, get out. I have a tendency to do a lot. I WANNA do a lot. Time to try it the other way around. Focus on the main things. Do more with less exercises.
I am doing the triumvirate version. I keep it short. One main lift, two accessory lifts. Those are MUST DO's. IF i do feel like i can / should hit more accessory, i will. But my main task will be to whoop my ass with this program i have made with the help of friends.
All numbers noted in kg's. Accessory weights estimated, i am going by gut feel on what i can do there. I am not used to high rep ranges, so i might have to re-adjust that.

PR's 90%
Millitary press 65 60
Squat 130 115
Deadlift 175 160
Benchpress 95 85

WEEK 1
LOGPRESS
Logpress 40 x 5 45 x 5 50 x 5 or more
Bent over rows 80 x 10 x 5
Car/tractor pulling

DEADLIFT
Deadlift 105 x 5 120 x 5 135 x 5 or more
Dips with chains 50 reps
Weighted abs 60 x 15 x 5

BENCHPRESS
Benchpress 55 x 5 65 x 5 70 x 5 or more
Incline DB 20 x 15 x 5
Shrugs 80 x 15 x 5

SQUAT
Backsquat 75 x 5 85 x 5 100 x 5 or more
Legpress 140 x 15 x 5
SLDL 90 x 10 x 5

Week 2
LOGPRESS
Logpress 40 x 3 50 x 3 55 x 3 or more
Car/tractor pulling

DEADLIFT
Deadlift 110 x 3 130 x 3 145 x 3 or more
Dips with chains 50 reps
Weighted abs 60 x 15 x 5

BENCHPRESS
Benchpress 60 x 3 70 x 3 75 x 3 or more
Incline DB 20 x 15 x 5
Shrugs 80 x 15 x 5

SQUAT
Backsquat 80 x 3 90 x 3 105 x 3 or more
Legpress 140 x 15 x 5
SLDL 90 x 10 x 5

WEEK 3
LOGPRESS
Logpress 45 x 5 50 x 3 55 x 1 or more
Car/tractor pulling

DEADLIFT
Deadlift 120 x 5 135 x 3 150 x 1 or more
Dips with chains 50 reps
Weighted abs 60 x 15 x 5

BENCHPRESS
Benchpress 65 x 5 70 x 3 80 x 1 or more
Incline DB 20 x 15 x 5
Shrugs 80 x 15 x 5

SQUAT
Backsquat 85 x 5 100 x 3 110 x 1 or more
Legpress 140 x 15 x 5
SLDL 90 x 10 x 5

WEEK 4 DELOAD
LOGPRESS
Logpress 25 x 5 30 x 5 35 x 5
Car/tractor pulling

DEADLIFT
Deadlift 65 x 5 80 x 5 95 x 5
Dips with chains 50 reps
Weighted abs 60 x 15 x 5

BENCHPRESS
Benchpress 35 x 5 45 x 5 50 x 5
Incline DB 20 x 15 x 5
Shrugs 80 x 15 x 5

SQUAT
Backsquat 45 x 5 60 x 5 70 x 5
Legpress 140 x 15 x 5
SLDL 90 x 10 x5

Every week i will also go for the uphill running TWICE.

Looks very easy to me, but as far as i have heard, this is DECEPTIVE. It should kick my ass. Personally i feel like i could do week 3 right now with ease. BUT i am trying to go in and do this. Try to get that presumption out of my head. I HOPE i get humbled.

The Sun
07-10-10, 7:28 pm
looking good T. I'll keep an eye on your training sheet. see how it goes...

Brick By Brick
07-10-10, 9:08 pm
Looks good, T. I'm doing 3x10 sets on the assistance exercises, as the 5 sets is a lot of volume, and I'm working up to that. I'm excited to see your progress.

Thrawn
07-11-10, 3:51 am
looking good T. I'll keep an eye on your training sheet. see how it goes...

Thanks, brother!
I have made a fully automatic Excell sheet for it. All i have to do is fill in eventual new PR's and the sheet calculates all the rest, rounded and all. If you wanna use it, lemme know.

Looks good, T. I'm doing 3x10 sets on the assistance exercises, as the 5 sets is a lot of volume, and I'm working up to that. I'm excited to see your progress.

Thanks, Kellee!
The assistance i have noted down is just on gut. I have not a lot of experience in high rep training, so i just went by 'feel'. The exercises themselves are set it stone. I know they work for me, i know they are great strength builders. But the rep-range and sets... i am prepared to adjust them.

Thrawn
07-11-10, 5:11 pm
Moved the strongman log and some secondhand iron to my girls house. I now have the ability to train 4 days a week, as is my plan with the 5 3 1.

I also couldnt resist and did a few series of presses with my strongman log. Just focussing on technique and getting its 'feel'. I also weighed the lady, she is 40kg / 90lbs.
Went up nice and easy, great fun!!

mritter3
07-11-10, 6:03 pm
the 531 looks solid man...like the routine.

Thrawn
07-12-10, 6:46 am
the 531 looks solid man...like the routine.

Thanks, Matt!

Thrawn
07-12-10, 6:49 am
Looks like there is finally some relief coming for the heatwave. Its kinda normal to have some lightning storms after warm weather spells over here. But the extreme heat lead to another weather alarm and the last two days we have had GREAT lightning storms. Trees flying around, cars being blown sideways. Last night it was more like a constant rumble and lightshow from 1 to 4 in the morning.
I LOVE that kind of weather. I ADORE it. Nothing like going for a walk in such a storm. Its like drinking up the electricity for me. Even as a little kid i was hypnotized by this weather. I would sneak out of home and go for a walk.

Thrawn
07-12-10, 9:43 am
Todays work:
conditioning.
I am taking care of my brothers house for today, so i thought i might as well do the running here.
A nice lightning storm came along, so i went out to do the work. There is a flyover nearby that is almost the same as the one i run where i live. To my surprise i found a small road leading off the top of that flyover. Much steeper, shorter and less well maintained. SO i used that one instead.

Running uphill:
One time jogging up the flyover.
5 times running up the smaller road.

Thrawn
07-12-10, 3:20 pm
Tomorrow it starts, my journey into 5 3 1 =) I am SO thrilled =)
I made on error in the schedule, which is easy to fix. In the posts above you can see i would start with logpress. That will not be the case. That will be done in weekends at my girls place, where the log is. So the week starts with deadlifts, then bench, then squats, then logpress.
TOMORROW.
WHOOHOOOOO!

rob_in_korea
07-13-10, 2:58 am
Excellent workout the other day Thrawn. Congrats on the PR.
The new program looks great.

-Rob

Thrawn
07-13-10, 8:02 am
Excellent workout the other day Thrawn. Congrats on the PR.
The new program looks great.

-Rob

Thanks Rob!

Thrawn
07-13-10, 8:08 am
Not the way i wanted to start my new program. The continuing swampy heat makes it hard to get a good nights sleep. Last night i barely had any shuteye and on top of that i was plagued by a massive heartburn attack.
Guess all the loss of sleep and less food intake is finally catching up with me. I SO hope things cool down soon. At leas at night, so i can get some SLEEP.
When i woke up i felt like weaksauce and knew i was in for trouble in the gym.
Ah well. Last couple of weeks were all near perfect, offdays DO happen. At least i know why, everyone in the gym is starting to get grumpy and having bad days in the gym because of the weather.

Only worksets are noted.

Deadlifts
105kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 135kg x 7 very disappointed here.

Dips with one chain, 50 reps target
10, 10, 10, 7, 7, 6

Weighted abs
60kg x 15 x 5

Super pullovers
70kg x 10 x 4

I was already struggling with grip and sweating horribly after the first workset. Normally my grip is never a problem with deadlifts. On the last set i had to put new chalk on my hands after 5 reps, cause i was slipping. I did NOT like the fact i could only bang out 7 reps. it bothered me that much that i did an extra accessory exercise, the super pullovers. Normally they always cheer me up, but even those were a struggle.

Bad days happen. Good news is i got all the work in. And i did more then 5 reps on the last set. But BOY was that a struggle. Felt like i was pulling near PR weight.

The Sun
07-13-10, 10:22 am
hope you feel better T. way to push through that workout.

Brick By Brick
07-13-10, 10:44 am
Great job pushing through, the weather sounds unbearable. Kudos for digging deep and making it happen!

Thrawn
07-13-10, 3:09 pm
hope you feel better T. way to push through that workout.

I am over the disappointment =) What can i do about this? Not much. Just keep on going. All i need is a break from the weather so i can get some sleep and my appetite back =)

Great job pushing through, the weather sounds unbearable. Kudos for digging deep and making it happen!

Its getting pretty well on everyones nerves. Cranky is the new fashion here right now. A lot of ppl have the same problems as i do: lack of sleep, no appetite. All i hear in the gym is ppl having 'offdays' or just taking a step back.

Its alright, thanks for the pickup =) I am glad i went in and did the work even tho i wasnt able to perform to my liking.
Like JIm Wendler says himself: on offdays you go in and do what you can do.

Brick By Brick
07-13-10, 7:11 pm
I am over the disappointment =) What can i do about this? Not much. Just keep on going. All i need is a break from the weather so i can get some sleep and my appetite back =)

Its getting pretty well on everyones nerves. Cranky is the new fashion here right now. A lot of ppl have the same problems as i do: lack of sleep, no appetite. All i hear in the gym is ppl having 'offdays' or just taking a step back.

Its alright, thanks for the pickup =) I am glad i went in and did the work even tho i wasnt able to perform to my liking.
Like JIm Wendler says himself: on offdays you go in and do what you can do.

True, true. Even if you can only get the main lift done, at least you got something done.

Thrawn
07-14-10, 4:57 am
True, true. Even if you can only get the main lift done, at least you got something done.

Yup, and i DID make it more then 5 reps with the max weight =) Only a poor 7, i was hoping on at least two more, but the job got done.
I HAVE to remember to stay humble. Bad days happen, no matter what caused them. You take it on the chin and go on.

Thrawn
07-14-10, 4:59 am
I FINALLY got in a good nights sleep last night. Not nearly enough to fully recover, but more then enough to make me feel reborn.
Weather forecast is that today is gonna be the last horrible day for at least the rest of the week. Today is gonna be humid and tropical, and in the afternoon all hell should break lose again with storms and big rain. After that, weather should stay warm, but far more normal for the rest of the week.

To celebrate, i am making the hugest stack of pancakes you ever did see. Gotta get some food and carbs in to get my energy going again.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-14-10, 6:26 pm
"humid and tropical" now i dont know what that means for the netherlands.. like 80F and like 50% humidity? LOL

Thrawn
07-15-10, 4:41 am
"humid and tropical" now i dont know what that means for the netherlands.. like 80F and like 50% humidity? LOL

LOL. No. Thats what it is right now, it has cooled a bit since the storm last night.
Last week it was at 100 with 80% humidity for days on end. Even the nights were only a few degrees cooler.

Thrawn
07-15-10, 8:58 am
Today went a bit better even tho i still feel way off my usual 'strength' level. Ran into a buddy of mine who i hadnt seen in a while and he shed a different light on my problem =)
"Ofcourse you are not feeling too good. You always hated working out in the morning"
Totally true. Due to the summer holidays, i have to train in the morning and i HATE that. I am so NOT a morning person. This might also contribute to me feeling somewhat off.

Benchday, only worksets noted
55kg x 5, 65kg x 5, 70kg x 12 so i easily beat the 5 required.

Incline DB press
20kg x 15 (too many reps, adjusted)
20kg x 10 x 4

shrugs
80kg x 15 x 5

extra accessory:
band assisted chins.
5 sets of 10 with green band.

Done. Session went pretty good, even tho i felt off and wrong. Did not really enjoy this somehow. Chasing reps with lightweight sure needs a different mindset.
Gotten some decent sleep last two days, so i feel a whole lot better. But i am certain my buddy has a point also. I need to adjust to training in the morning too. This will be until the end of august, then i can train at my normal time (afternoon) again.

Thrawn
07-15-10, 10:26 am
Coming back to my deadlift session of last tuesday. I wasnt too pleased with it, but re-calculating with Jim's formulas... i didnt even do tooo bad. 135 x 7 would estimate a PR of 165. It is 175. So for a big offday, its actually not too bad.

Brick By Brick
07-15-10, 10:36 am
Very nice work on the bench day. I can't life for s%#t in the morning, so I can relate to your problem there. Hope all is well, training looks great!

Thrawn
07-15-10, 12:20 pm
Very nice work on the bench day. I can't life for s%#t in the morning, so I can relate to your problem there. Hope all is well, training looks great!

Thanks!
Yes, the benchday went pretty okay, even tho i felt off. But i BET its the morning training. I hadnt even thought about that yet. But yes, since the start of this program i am on mornings for a while. And that is not my best time of the day.

All is okay, a bit less hot FINALLY.
Feels a bit strange to be hunting for strength with lightweight, so i have to adjust for that mentally as well. Guess i will get the hang of it in a week or two.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-15-10, 2:22 pm
LOL. No. Thats what it is right now, it has cooled a bit since the storm last night.
Last week it was at 100 with 80% humidity for days on end. Even the nights were only a few degrees cooler.

LOL welcome to what i do like 6 months a year, i love it.. 2 months its cold down here...

Thrawn
07-15-10, 2:52 pm
LOL welcome to what i do like 6 months a year, i love it.. 2 months its cold down here...

You are used to that kind of weather, buddy. We are not. We arent even close to being prepared for this kind of weather.

DANO
07-15-10, 3:35 pm
glad it is cooling off some for ya... it is going to be over 100 here today..

SQUAT or DIE!
07-15-10, 4:01 pm
You are used to that kind of weather, buddy. We are not. We arent even close to being prepared for this kind of weather.

shorts, sandals and t shirts... boxers if you want extra ventilation

Thrawn
07-15-10, 5:18 pm
glad it is cooling off some for ya... it is going to be over 100 here today..

Good luck with that =/ I have had enough of those days for a while =) Actually, 100 is hot but can be tolerable i think. It was the high humidity that was total murder.

shorts, sandals and t shirts... boxers if you want extra ventilation

If the humidity is 80% or higher, those will not help, brother. I was wearing nothing at night and still couldnt sleep as i was dripping with sweat.
I am glad you can stand that kind of weather =) For me, and with me i think 75% of the Dutch ppl, 100 degrees and high humidity is total hell =)

Thrawn
07-16-10, 8:01 am
Pretty good day. One thing was out of whack. My right shoulder again. Few weeks ago i had the same problem, wasnt able to get under the bar properly. A LOT of tension somewhere in my right shoulder. Was gone next day. This morning it was back. I spent a LOT of time trying to figure it out. I couldnt. Stretching went fine, normal range of motion is all fine. I just have a problem once i try to get under the barbell.
Some experimentation with grip width and elbow position led to a compromis. Able to squat with bar firm low on the traps, but not my 'usual' grip.

Squats
75kg x 5
85kg x 5
100kg x 9 this was also the best set, two previous sets were still but uncomfy

Legpress
140kg x 15 x 5

SLDL
90kg x 10 x 5

Extra accessory:
Axe swings on lat pully
35kg x 10
40kg x 10 x 2
45kg x 10

Test for farmers walk in the gym. Made a path of 15 meters / yards long. Took 2 db's of 26kg / 58lbs.
two trips of 60 meters / yards (fairly easy)

DONE.
Felt better then last two sessions. I have also slept well again and food intake is up, that will add to the better spirit.
A bit puzzled about that right shoulder. I dunno what the hell it is about. I will watch it closely tho.

TXPWRLFTR
07-16-10, 9:34 am
Maybe squeeze the traps and sit up high on them when you bench, this will "encapsulate" the gh joint and allow for a "stronger" base for the shoulder...now make sure to tuck the elbows when you bench...if you do not, then you will definately feel the pain in the shoulder. Also, if you aren't doing it, train the rotator cuffs, basic external and internal rotation and some shoulder abductions too plus add some shrugs. Also, if you have access to bands, do some band pulls to really hit the area. Also ice the shoulders after a workout

SQUAT or DIE!
07-16-10, 5:00 pm
If the humidity is 80% or higher, those will not help, brother. I was wearing nothing at night and still couldnt sleep as i was dripping with sweat.
I am glad you can stand that kind of weather =) For me, and with me i think 75% of the Dutch ppl, 100 degrees and high humidity is total hell =)

LOL i wear jeans and boots in 100+ deg with high humidity.... im used to it, working outside alot on the farm... people around me are dying and they are half my size and its no big deal to me... but it took 10+ years to get used to it after i moved to TX, it was by no means an over night deal.

Thrawn
07-17-10, 4:00 am
Maybe squeeze the traps and sit up high on them when you bench, this will "encapsulate" the gh joint and allow for a "stronger" base for the shoulder...now make sure to tuck the elbows when you bench...if you do not, then you will definately feel the pain in the shoulder. Also, if you aren't doing it, train the rotator cuffs, basic external and internal rotation and some shoulder abductions too plus add some shrugs. Also, if you have access to bands, do some band pulls to really hit the area. Also ice the shoulders after a workout

Thanks for the tips. So far the problem only occurs when i try to get under the barbell with squatting. I have tried all sorts of other movements and i feel no problem at all during the rest. I HAVE found a few spots on my rightshoulder yesterday that are a bit tender to the touch. The middle head, on top of my shoulder itself. Feels like the end / tendons are a bit sore.
I am stretching them and icing them. I have bands, will do the band pulls. Will look into rotator cuff training.
THANKS big man!

LOL i wear jeans and boots in 100+ deg with high humidity.... im used to it, working outside alot on the farm... people around me are dying and they are half my size and its no big deal to me... but it took 10+ years to get used to it after i moved to TX, it was by no means an over night deal.

LOL. Very impressive =) Even when i was a kid i wasnt a very big fan of the very hot and humid =) It only happens very occasionally here, so when it happens, it kills us poor Dutch ppl =) My dad is like you. This kind of weather doesnt faze him one bit. At all.
You moved to Texas? Where are you originally from, buddy?

Thrawn
07-17-10, 4:02 am
Taking it easy today. Gonna take good care of that shoulder even tho my gut tells me its a 'minor' problem.
Tomorrow is my last day of my first week of 5 3 1. I will do a small recap of my first impression of this new schedule.
Tomorrow shoulders and car pulling. CANT WAIT!!

Greg, next week i will make a first vid of SLDL to challenge your butt! Hope i can give you a run for your money =)

Thrawn
07-19-10, 4:33 am
Yesterday went pretty well. It felt a bit strange to train in the backyard, but i can get used to this for sure =) Too bad i havent got toooo much material here yet, but i work with what i have. I am considering buying a workout bench, oly bar and some extra plates from my savings account.
Anyways: yesterdays work.

Logpress
40kg x 5 (officially i had to start at 37,5kg, but i couldnt rack that weight up)
42.5kg x 5
50kg x 9 good stuff

Bent over rows
80kg x 10 x 4

Lets call this one partial cleans. I picked up my pressing log and focussed on the technique of getting it on the chest, trying to get some biceps work in also.
45kg for 4 sets of about 5-6 reps

Carpulling.
1400kg for 4 pulls of 100 meters / yards.

Done. Felt good. Right shoulder still has a strange tight feel in some places. I am working on that: massassing, stretching, icing, pressing on the painful places. It didnt bother me at all during the logpresses. Not even a small twitch or sign.

Brick By Brick
07-19-10, 4:59 am
Great work, Bert. Log pressing looks good. Keep it up, hope your shoulder feels better.

Thrawn
07-19-10, 5:48 am
Great work, Bert. Log pressing looks good. Keep it up, hope your shoulder feels better.

I am not complaining right now. If i look upon things objectively, i am making enough reps to justify my current PR's (using Jims formulas). I need to adjust my mindset still. I am not used to chasing reps, so that is kinda strange to me. I should become better at that with time.
I like it a lot so far, looking back upon my first week. Very compact training. Get in, get out. You know what to do beforehand. You just need to dig in and do it.
I HOPE the current prediction of another heatwave coming up here is WRONG. =)
My shoulder is a strange case. There is no pain at all in 'regular' life or training. Only when i try to get under the bar for squatting.

Brick By Brick
07-19-10, 5:57 am
It works, just give it time. Txpwrlifter gives good advice. Hope that heat wave passes you by, it'll be 110 f in Vegas this week!

Thrawn
07-19-10, 7:00 am
It works, just give it time. Txpwrlifter gives good advice. Hope that heat wave passes you by, it'll be 110 f in Vegas this week!

Oh, i am sure it works! All i meant to say is that i need to set my mind to chasing reps instead of chasing weight, lol. That might take me a few sessions.

Guess i am not that lucky. The weather alarm has been given again for tomorrow. It will be 100 plus outside, so that means it will be 5 to 10 degrees warmer in the gym... again, on my deadlift day. That sucks.
But i will go in and dig as deep as i can. I already feel ībetterī in this weather. Today is pretty blazing hot also. Most depends on me being able to sleep. If i can get shuteye, i am pretty okay. I might just lose a bit. If i cant get shuteye with this weather, i am toast.
It appears to be a short heatwave, just a few days this time.
110 in vegas.... that will be tough...

rob_in_korea
07-19-10, 7:01 am
Awesome workouts Thrawn. Hope your shoulder doesn't bother you too much, and I really hope that the heat wave misses you.

-Rob

wedge
07-19-10, 11:24 am
Screw the heat bro. Way to push through it and still get the work in.

Brick By Brick
07-19-10, 11:31 am
Oh, i am sure it works! All i meant to say is that i need to set my mind to chasing reps instead of chasing weight, lol. That might take me a few sessions.

Guess i am not that lucky. The weather alarm has been given again for tomorrow. It will be 100 plus outside, so that means it will be 5 to 10 degrees warmer in the gym... again, on my deadlift day. That sucks.
But i will go in and dig as deep as i can. I already feel ībetterī in this weather. Today is pretty blazing hot also. Most depends on me being able to sleep. If i can get shuteye, i am pretty okay. I might just lose a bit. If i cant get shuteye with this weather, i am toast.
It appears to be a short heatwave, just a few days this time.
110 in vegas.... that will be tough...

I had the same problem with 5/3/1 to begin with. With the reps come the weight. One more rep, Bert! LOL! It's ALL YOU!!!!
That sucks big time, relentless weather conditions are the worst. High heat and high humidity are terrible. I know you will get it done. Hope you can get some sleep.
I'll be inside the casinos in Vegas, it'll be ok. We'll run from place to place to avoid the hot hot sun.

Thrawn
07-20-10, 11:40 am
Today i was better prepared for the heat and morning training. Felt stronger and WAS stronger. All adjustment i needed was a bit lower pace then normal. Taking a few minutes more between exercises to recover better; breathing is hard in these condition.
I had some residual tiredness in the lowerback, probably from the bent over rows sunday. So on the last set i used my belt.

Deads
110 x 3 with a mirrored alternate grip for fun
130 x 3 nice
145 x 7 good reps. was very winded after 5 but squeezed out two more so i could have the familiar black spots before the eyes.

Dips with chain; target 50 reps
10, 10, 10, 10, 10 a LOT better then last week

Weighted abs
65kg x 15 x 5

Extra accessory
Facepulls
50kg x 20 x 2
50kg x 15 x 2

Farmers walk tryout
60 meters; 32kg db's no real problem

Workout went GREAT. Nice 'payback' for my previous deadlift session which left a lot to be desired as far as i was concerned.
Celebrated todays workout with 2 steaks.

rob_in_korea
07-21-10, 5:33 am
Excellent work on those deads Thrawn......and everything else.

-Rob

Thrawn
07-22-10, 3:18 pm
Excellent work on those deads Thrawn......and everything else.

-Rob

Thank you, Rob!

Thrawn
07-22-10, 3:25 pm
Benchday. Went really nice.
AND i might have found the problem with my right shoulder. Greg tipped me to do some shrugs. That got my mind thinking, cause i just added those to the mix. I did them in front of the mirror today (normally i go on feel) and there is DEF a deviation in the movement when right and left shoulder are compared. So, i adjusted things until all was evened out and guess what? Shrugs also felt WAY lighter then normally (i kinda struggle with it). So i might just have made a breakthrough with these now.

Bench
60 x 3
67,5 x 3
77,5 x 9 nice, felt good

Incline DB
22 x 10 x 5

Shrugs
80 x 15 x 5

Extra accessory
Hammer curls
20 x 10 x 2
20 x 9
20 x 8

Test with the farmers walk
36kg db's for 60 meters / yards. Still no problem

Done.
Pretty happy with my find on the shrugs. Strange how things just seem to change in time. I wasnt aware of the uneven movement before, even tho i did perform them in the cage in front of a mirror. But i tend to focus on a point, not stare at my reflection. But it was easy to see. And once fixed, shrugs felt WAY better and easier. Now i just gotta wait and see if the tightness in my right shoulder will fade.

Thrawn
07-23-10, 7:42 am
Squats. GREAT session, even tho i struggled a bit with form in the first two worksets. Felt like i wasnt in good position somehow. The last set was a dream tho.
Also, less problems with the right shoulder. A lot of stretching and icing this week (THANKS GREG) and it seems like the problem is subsiding. Last week i wasnt able to get under the barbell at all in the beginning. Only after more stretching and 'forcing' did i get under it.
This time there was discomfort, but well within tolerable limits. No problem getting under the bar.

Squats
80 x 3
90 x 3
105 x 9 (3 required) pretty good. strengthwise i felt like there was one or two reps more there, but i was GASSED.

Legpress
160kg x 15 x 5 could really tell the squats took a lot of juice away, i was burning like never before here

SLDL
90kg x 10 x 4

Extra accessory
Axe swings
40kg x 10 x 2
45kg x 10 x 2

Done. Awesome session. That last set of squats felt so gooood. Getting used to chasing reps. A bit more stamina and i should be able to get more reps out.

rob_in_korea
07-23-10, 8:57 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. It's great to hear that your shoulder is starting to fell better.
Solid squats.

-Rob

Jonken
07-25-10, 1:26 am
well done thrawn. You keep dominating the last sets! Gives you a great momentum for gains when it starts to get heavy later :)

Thrawn
07-26-10, 6:29 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. It's great to hear that your shoulder is starting to fell better.
Solid squats.

-Rob

Thanks Rob!
Yes, it is probably just a tight muscle, nothing more. Stretching more appears to do the trick!

well done thrawn. You keep dominating the last sets! Gives you a great momentum for gains when it starts to get heavy later :)

Thanks, Jonken!!

Thrawn
07-26-10, 6:34 am
Had a pretty okay workout yesterday. I had to force myself through it, to be honest. My girl is a bit sick, so she is a bit of a tosser and turner at night =) Didnt get much sleep in the weekend so i felt a bit weary when i had to do the work. I decided to skip the carpulling for that reason.

Logpress
40kg x 3
45kg x 3
52.5kg x 7 good enough, still felt a bit disappointed

Bent over rows
80kg x 10 x 5

Log cleans
45kg x 5 x 4

Side raises
12kg x 8 x 4

Did two singles with 60kg on the logpress to have a good feeling ending. They went pretty good.
Not a bad workout for not feeling like it =)

The Sun
07-26-10, 9:16 am
how do you find the log presses? always been interested in trying them. its a shame we don't have any in Israel. they seem to be brute strength enhancers

Thrawn
07-26-10, 9:49 am
how do you find the log presses? always been interested in trying them. its a shame we don't have any in Israel. they seem to be brute strength enhancers

It certainly feels different from normal militariy press. Cant say i have a favorite at this moment. At the risk of sounding silly, i would say this;
- logpress feels more awesome, is also a bit more difficult as the grip is different
- military press feels more elegant, more 'natural' in grip.
I do tend to think that the logpress will do more for overall bodystrength. Feels like you use more muscles and in a different way.

I couldnt get one in the Netherlands either. I am lucky i made friends with Rene Minkwitz in Denmark and that he was willing to sell one of his =)
And if you are a handy man... it shouldnt be too hard to make one.

Thrawn
07-26-10, 10:05 am
Another difference i forgot to mention, The Sun.

The press position for military press is pretty easy. You can nicely focus. The log however has a big circumference. So when its on your chest/shoulder region it feels totally different and you are (at least i am) not as stable. Its there in front of you and you have limitid vision =). Once you press it up and move your head forward it starts to feel comparable.

TXPWRLFTR
07-26-10, 12:24 pm
Nice work!

The Sun
07-26-10, 4:05 pm
gotta try them one day, Thrawn. brute strength it is.

Brick By Brick
07-26-10, 4:14 pm
Sorry I haven't checked in with you, Bert. Back from Vegas, but got bronchitis from the air conditioning in the MGM Grand, and have been sleeping all the time. Took two days off work, etc.. Your training looks very solid, glad to hear you're making progress with that pesky shoulder. Hope your girl feels better so you can get some sleep.

Thrawn
07-27-10, 4:29 am
Nice work!

Trying to catch up with my big Greg!

gotta try them one day, Thrawn. brute strength it is.

If you get the chance, do it for sure. Its great fun. And with your technique for cleans... you will probably rock them. Maybe ask some friends who are good with metal and make one yourself? I can give you the full measurements of this one if you like.

Sorry I haven't checked in with you, Bert. Back from Vegas, but got bronchitis from the air conditioning in the MGM Grand, and have been sleeping all the time. Took two days off work, etc.. Your training looks very solid, glad to hear you're making progress with that pesky shoulder. Hope your girl feels better so you can get some sleep.

No apologies needed. SUCKS about that bronchitis. That is a PAIN in the ass.
I seem to be adepting to the reps, that is for sure. And that shoulder will come back in line, it is nothing but a muscle that is tight.
She IS feeling a bit better now, thanks. I am back in my house now, so i certainly got my zzzz's in last night =)

Thrawn
07-27-10, 8:23 am
Good day. Deads went great. First week 135 x 7, second week 145 x 7, now 150 x 7. I am not sure if this is me getting stronger / more stamina, or that i am more efficient / better at battling bigger weight. I dont like doing high reps with low weight, that is for sure.

Third week, the 5 3 1 week =)
Deadlift
120kg x 5
135kg x 3
150kg x 7 nice!

Dips with chains. Target 50 reps
1 chain: 10, 10, 10
2 chains: 10, 10

Weighted abs
72kg x 15 x 5

Extra accessory
Seated rows, medium wide grip
70kg x 8 x 2
75kg x 8
80kg x 8

Done. Feel like a million bucks.

Brick By Brick
07-27-10, 10:27 am
Great job, T. Congrats on your DLs, looking very good there.

Thrawn
07-27-10, 10:51 am
Great job, T. Congrats on your DLs, looking very good there.

Thanks! I am rather pleased with it myself. Last week the 145 went for 7 reps, so i expected something like 4 maybe 5 reps... but i dunno. Once i started the set it was ON. I kept picking it up again. After 7 it took me some time to get my breath back, but i atribute that to my age, LOL.

Brick By Brick
07-27-10, 10:55 am
Blame it on the rain, it's still great work. Good job!

Thrawn
07-27-10, 10:57 am
Blame it on the rain, it's still great work. Good job!

Lol =)
Maybe it was my black cape that gave me that extra oomph?? LOL

I must say that this program kicks your ass. I was rather 'disappointed' with the workload when i first saw my new program. But honestly; i am happy that i can deload next week. Not that i am dead tired, but i can tell i did some GOOD WORK last couple of weeks.

Brick By Brick
07-27-10, 11:05 am
Lol =)
Maybe it was my black cape that gave me that extra oomph?? LOL

I must say that this program kicks your ass. I was rather 'disappointed' with the workload when i first saw my new program. But honestly; i am happy that i can deload next week. Not that i am dead tired, but i can tell i did some GOOD WORK last couple of weeks.

It has to be the black cape! 5/3/1 is deceptively tough, I always look forward to the deload week.

rob_in_korea
07-27-10, 11:09 am
Incredible workouts Thrawn. Outstanding work on the deadlifts and dips.

-Rob

Thrawn
07-27-10, 11:19 am
Incredible workouts Thrawn. Outstanding work on the deadlifts and dips.

-Rob

Thank you, Rob! It appears that this program is working well for me right now!

Thrawn
07-29-10, 8:26 am
Benchday. What can i say. Not my favorite day, but today i was loving it. Went well and i even surprised myself.

Bench, week 3
65kg x 5
72,5kg x 3
80kg x 9 i was in a zone here. more reps then i expected and it felt GREAT.

Incline DB
22kg x 10 x 3
24kg x 10 x 2

Shrugs The 'new and improved' form really works. WAY easier then normal
80kg x 15 x 2
90kg x 15 x 2
100kg x 15

Extra accessory
Another Farmers Walk test. I am LOVING this.
40kg / 90lbs per arm These are the biggest db's we have and they are NO fun. Why? The handle is too long and its too thin. So they actually kinda hang unstable in your fingers instead of having a good grip on them. But thats not bad for farmers walk practice.

First try; 60 meters / yards
Second; 90 meters / yards <---- for my Kellee

Video of the second set farmers walk.
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=29072010005.mp4

And here, last sunday, having fun with my pressing log. Forgot to post it then. Not bad for a fun attempt 10lbs below my PR.
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/?action=view&current=25072010.mp4

weedlewott
07-29-10, 2:16 pm
I like it. Sorry I've been out, bro. Everything looks solid.

wedge
07-29-10, 3:01 pm
Nice bench work bro. Love the farmers walk on the end.

rob_in_korea
07-30-10, 6:49 am
Awesome workout Thrawn. Thanks for sharing those vids, great stuff.

-Rob

Thrawn
07-30-10, 7:36 am
I like it. Sorry I've been out, bro. Everything looks solid.

No need to apologize, brother!
Thanks!

Nice bench work bro. Love the farmers walk on the end.

=) Thanks wedge!

Awesome workout Thrawn. Thanks for sharing those vids, great stuff.

-Rob

Thank you, Rob =)
That farmers walk was more me just having some fun =))

Thrawn
07-30-10, 7:36 am
Strange day in the gym.
Feeling strong, weight felt light. I started out with very good form. Then i lost form on the last two reps of the squats and after that i couldnt get into my rythm again. VERY strange as form problem was easily identified and didnt bother me physically. But it totally threw me off mentally. Later on in the session i had enough of my bad form and gave myself a time-out and kicked myself out of the gym. Better safe then sorry and missing the last two sets wont be a problem at all.

Squats; week 3 of 5 3 1
85kg x 5
100kg x 3
110kg x 7 great set, but last two reps i lost form. butt up, back following later. bummed me out in a major way, unexpectedly

Legpress (last time, on advice from wedge they will be replaced with probably frontsquats)
160kg x 15 x 5 not going smooth

SLDL
90kg x 10 x 2
First set felt off, second set i had someone check. Form was not off but it certainly felt that way to me. Not able to trust my instinct, i threw the towel here.

So so session. Live and learn. I opted to leave. I have no desire for an injury. Bad form days dont happen often to me, so this one wont hurt me one bit.

Thrawn
07-30-10, 7:53 am
By the way, right shoulder still improving. No problem getting under the bar anymore. Only mild discomfort / stretchy feeling in final sets.
VERY happy with that.
I have found an exercise with a band that is helping me a lot.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-30-10, 3:01 pm
whats up with the shldr???

i make sure to do lots of raises before i bench, has helped me lot... but thats injury specific for me.

Brick By Brick
07-30-10, 3:25 pm
Training looks excellent, T., congrats on your big bench day! Your farmer's look good, it's a lot tougher with DBs than handles, so I don't have any tips for you regarding the video. With actual handles, the turn is a lot trickier because they swing around, and if you don't time it right and put some resistance the other direction in the inside handle, you'll dern near spin around in a circle. But that's a discussion for another time, I suppose. Great job, little buddy! Wear the cape next time.

Thrawn
07-31-10, 8:24 am
whats up with the shldr???

i make sure to do lots of raises before i bench, has helped me lot... but thats injury specific for me.

I am not sure, it appears to be a very tense muscle. I had problems getting under the bar for squatting few weeks ago. It hurt pretty bad. After some good extra stretching and specific exercises it is on its way outta here.
I can sure give it a try to do some raises. But it appears to be specific for squatting for me. I have trouble getting under the bar. The right shoulder feels like it cant handle being that far back. Was never a problem before and i appear to have NO problem with it during any other activity.
Its doing better everyday now.

Training looks excellent, T., congrats on your big bench day! Your farmer's look good, it's a lot tougher with DBs than handles, so I don't have any tips for you regarding the video. With actual handles, the turn is a lot trickier because they swing around, and if you don't time it right and put some resistance the other direction in the inside handle, you'll dern near spin around in a circle. But that's a discussion for another time, I suppose. Great job, little buddy! Wear the cape next time.

Thanks, Kellee! This was just for fun, to see what i could do after a few tryouts. I expect that my own made handles will be a bit easier for me, as these specific Db's i used here totally suck with their thin and long handles. But i can sure imagine that longer / bigger objects will carry over some inertia when doing turns. I can already feel that with these db's: once you think you made the turn, you start to walk, but you will have to force yourself against the turning motion =)
But boy is it fun to do =))
I will see what i can do about that cape =)

Brick By Brick
07-31-10, 2:49 pm
I can already feel that with these db's: once you think you made the turn, you start to walk, but you will have to force yourself against the turning motion =)
But boy is it fun to do =))
I will see what i can do about that cape =)

Make sure you include the 'brand' on the back. Maybe corp can sell them in the shop.

DANO
08-01-10, 12:50 am
Everything looks strong as hell on here big T! Could the shoulder thing be something left over from being hit by the car way back when? Sometimes alignmet issues do tricky stuff with the body.

Firedrake
08-01-10, 1:14 am
Looking good, bro -- knowing when to step back is a big thing -- sometimes the smallest shit can through your head out of the game, and if you can't get it back, you're just going to get into trouble.

Thrawn
08-01-10, 4:35 am
Everything looks strong as hell on here big T! Could the shoulder thing be something left over from being hit by the car way back when? Sometimes alignmet issues do tricky stuff with the body.

Thanks, Dano!
Hmmm. I personally think its just my shoulders that have to get used to more workload. I always had problems with overhead press and only recently found out why. So now my technique is better and weight has increased rapidly. I also own my own pressing log, so i do more overhead work. I think its just some muscles that are protesting somewhat =)

Looking good, bro -- knowing when to step back is a big thing -- sometimes the smallest shit can through your head out of the game, and if you can't get it back, you're just going to get into trouble.

Thanks Firedrake, and that was exactly my train of thought at that time. Why go on if i cant get my rythm back? I might just be heading for trouble. And the most important work had been done already!

Thrawn
08-01-10, 8:35 am
Another strange day. Pretty sure i DO have something on my mind i am not aware of. It was pretty clear to me this time that i have a hard time concentrating.
No problem tho. Cant complain about the session, did all the work i needed to do. I do hope i can get my concentration / intensity up again soon.

Overhead logpress; week 3 of 531
42,5kg x 5
50kg x 3
55kg x 7 Last two reps grinders, lost focus, but i could power them out okay.

Two singles with 62,5kg for good measure, trying to force focus back (is 2,5kg below my PR)

BOR
80kg x 10 x 5

Log cleans
50kg x 5 x 4

Side raises
16kg x 8 x 4

Normally i end on sunday with carpulling, but not today. That will be done tomorrow.

rob_in_korea
08-01-10, 9:34 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. Great work on those log presses...it seems pretty intense to me.

-Rob

Firedrake
08-01-10, 3:52 pm
Where's your head wandering when you can't concentrate? Just random stuff, or someplace in particular?

Nice work. I'd love to have a log to work with.

Thrawn
08-02-10, 3:29 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. Great work on those log presses...it seems pretty intense to me.

-Rob

Thanks, Rob!
Logpresses is pretty taxing. It def uses other muscles then a normal mil press. Its a LOT of fun.

Where's your head wandering when you can't concentrate? Just random stuff, or someplace in particular?

Nice work. I'd love to have a log to work with.

It appears to be random. Once i notice i am not focussing on the weight the fleeting thought is also gone. Very strange. I have a lot of these 'fleeting thoughts' lately.
I know this sometimes happens when i get creative mindset again. That should be lovely. I have been in a creative draught for months now.

Thanks! Its a lot of fun and i can recommend it! They are rather easily available in the States tho, you should be able to get one. But the pricetag is not attractive...

Thrawn
08-03-10, 7:08 am
Thanks to the nonstop rain no carpulling this week. (my harness and rope stay at my girls place where i have access to a car).
Got a new project i am working on: the farmers handles. I purchased some old scrap metal: a long H-beam which they are gonna cut up into two pieces of 4 feet. I also found a solid iron axle there that is 1.3 inch thick, those will be the handles. Next week wednesday my brother and i are going to pick those things up, with some extra tubes and plates and then we are going to weld them all together. I estimate that one farmers handle will be around 30kg / 70lbs.
No name yet for the twins, but that will come =)

weedlewott
08-03-10, 9:32 am
Man, that all sounds pretty awesome. H-Bars, axels... Yep... I'm pretty excited for the outcome.

wedge
08-03-10, 1:33 pm
I was lucky enough to get to the Hartford Europa show last weekend and watched their strongman contest. Winners got their pro cards.
One of the events was car deadlift. Now I not only want to pull a car, I want to deadlift it as well.
Deads aren't quite where they need to be for that, but another reason to work harder.
You get the chance to do that yet?

Thrawn
08-03-10, 5:27 pm
Man, that all sounds pretty awesome. H-Bars, axels... Yep... I'm pretty excited for the outcome.

I will post photos during the making process =)

I was lucky enough to get to the Hartford Europa show last weekend and watched their strongman contest. Winners got their pro cards.
One of the events was car deadlift. Now I not only want to pull a car, I want to deadlift it as well.
Deads aren't quite where they need to be for that, but another reason to work harder.
You get the chance to do that yet?

No, i havent, Wedge =) I would love to give it a go myself too. I would start with a light car tho =)
I am secretely thinking about a tool what would help me doing it.

Thrawn
08-04-10, 6:40 am
Deload week, so just lightweight aaaallll the way =0

Warmup:
Farmers walk with 40kg db's. 60 meters, twice

Deads
65kg x 5, 80kg x 5, 95kg x 5 did a mirrored alternate grip to have at least a bit of my mind stimulated....

Various little sets of exercises with bands
- behind neck pulls, curls, b.o.r.'s.

Hyperextensions
10, 10
red band 8
blue band 5
red band 5

Hanging leg raises
4 x 15

Done.

Brick By Brick
08-04-10, 10:22 am
Good job! Nice deload!

Firedrake
08-04-10, 1:27 pm
Very nice -- sometimes it feels good just to move the body . . .

Thrawn
08-04-10, 3:09 pm
Good job! Nice deload!

Felt great too =)

Very nice -- sometimes it feels good just to move the body . . .

Thats exactly what i intend to do in this deload week. i will do the prescribed exercises and then add a few that 'feel' right with almost no weight at all. or maybe with bands. to get the blood flowing.
Gotta get primed for the next wave =))

DANO
08-04-10, 5:09 pm
Make the next wave a TSUNAMI!! enjoy the deload....

Thrawn
08-05-10, 4:34 am
Make the next wave a TSUNAMI!! enjoy the deload....

Thats the plan, Dano!

I intend to do three full waves, then take one week off of lifting totally. Then i will take two weeks to bust all my current pr's. 2 major lifts in every week. Then start all over again =)

Thrawn
08-05-10, 11:11 am
Benchpress deload day

bench
35kg x 5, 42,5kg x 5, 50kg x 5

Few very lightweight sets of triceps pushdowns and bicep curls. More to pump some blood around then anything else

About 10 minutes of various olympic lifts. Hang cleans, power cleans and clean and jerk with empty barbell.

Sweating like a pig afterwards, beeftaco's to eat =)

Thrawn
08-05-10, 11:25 am
Am i ready for next week? The next wave?
Does this deload week prime me for it?

All i can say is that i am ITCHY to say the least =)
We all know there is always this small annoying muscle here, a twinge there.
But i am in great shape. I feel good and strong. Confident. And without bragging? I am SURE i could beat all my current PR's in bench, squat, deads and mil press at this point already. But i plan to do at least one, but probably two more waves. THEN crush them all.

Phil800101
08-05-10, 1:16 pm
What's going on my man? How are things?

Thrawn
08-05-10, 1:58 pm
What's going on my man? How are things?

All is WELL, Phil!
Doing good. I started a 5 3 1 program and so far it appears to work GREAT for me. Deload week now, next week the second wave.
My shoulders are coming along nicely lately, so they are less of a weak spot.
And where have YOU been ? =)

deanna7272
08-05-10, 2:12 pm
:) ... Just saying... lol

Thrawn
08-05-10, 2:44 pm
:) ... Just saying... lol

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! You are back! Hows things, sweetie?

Phil800101
08-05-10, 3:14 pm
Sounds good Bert!

I've been around...couple of vacations/trips, then just busy. Back on the grind now.

Thrawn
08-05-10, 3:43 pm
Sounds good Bert!

I've been around...couple of vacations/trips, then just busy. Back on the grind now.

Yeah, i actually truly like this 5 3 1. I dont like the deload week =), but its necessary, i know.

Ah, some good R & R. You should be well rested and primed for some GOOD solid work, my brother! LIFT BIG, my friend!

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 3:48 pm
All i can say is that i am ITCHY to say the least =)

Uhm... They make creams for that... *LOL*

So... What's up, in here...???

Thrawn
08-05-10, 4:05 pm
Uhm... They make creams for that... *LOL*

So... What's up, in here...???

LOL!

At this moment, my evening STEAK =)
Tomorrow another deload session, legs. Sunday deload session shoulders. And then, my second wave of the 5 3 1. i am SO READY to tear it up!

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 4:07 pm
LOL!

At this moment, my evening STEAK =)
Tomorrow another deload session, legs. Sunday deload session shoulders. And then, my second wave of the 5 3 1. i am SO READY to tear it up!

Cool!!! Lookin' forward to seein' the damage ya do!!!

Thrawn
08-05-10, 4:34 pm
Cool!!! Lookin' forward to seein' the damage ya do!!!

Thanks!

And dont forget 'Project Farmers Handles'.
Next week i will start working on my own set =) AND i will make them in such a way that i can use them as a yoke too!
Great for those lazy sundays!

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 4:38 pm
Thanks!

And dont forget 'Project Farmers Handles'.
Next week i will start working on my own set =) AND i will make them in such a way that i can use them as a yoke too!
Great for those lazy sundays!

Sweet!!! I got a chance to train with HIGA MONSTER and did my 1st "Farmer's Walk"...

Thrawn
08-05-10, 5:21 pm
Sweet!!! I got a chance to train with HIGA MONSTER and did my 1st "Farmer's Walk"...

You DID? MAN, that must have been SO awesome!
How was it to train with him? And how did you like the farmers walk? So far i have only done them with db's, but soon.... pretty soon i will have my own twins to carry =)

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 5:25 pm
You DID? MAN, that must have been SO awesome!
How was it to train with him? And how did you like the farmers walk? So far i have only done them with db's, but soon.... pretty soon i will have my own twins to carry =)

It was awesome!!! I felt a bit awkward, but eventually, I got the feel for it... It was an entirely different way for me to train, but was a great experience...

Thrawn
08-06-10, 3:40 am
it was awesome!!! I felt a bit awkward, but eventually, i got the feel for it... It was an entirely different way for me to train, but was a great experience...

*jealous*

Thrawn
08-06-10, 7:50 am
Deloading continues, squats:

Backsquat
45kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 5 did these rest paused to keep my interest going.

Onelegged SLDL with Db's
few sets with 20kg db

Walking lunges
couple of short walks with barbell

Gripwork, Grant Higa's tip:
Hanging from a bar that was put on top of the power rack
4 times as long as i could

Done. i cant wait to put on weight again. Deloading is necessary, but i have a hard time focussing with this lightweight stuff.

Thrawn
08-06-10, 9:06 am
Been looking at my first wave and i am pretty happy with it. With that i mean: the ability to keep making the reps, how i feel afterwards and during, the choice of accessory exercises. So i will only make minor changes. Legpress is out, on advice of Wedge. They will be replaced with frontsquats and / or walking lunges. I also felt my lower back was pretty tired after the third week. Probably because i am not used to high rep ranges and i did several exercises that put work on that area (squats, bor, sldl, logpress). So i might skip SLDL for the next wave and do hamwork with legcurls, pullthroughs or onelegged db SLDL's.

Not sure yet, i will finalize things in the weekend, but there will be no major changes. i CANT WAIT to get cracking again.
I know deloading is necessary and a big part of the process. But i will be honest: i have a hard time focussing using weight as low as this. No disrespect meant, no ego talking here. If things move this easy, i cant get the right mindset very easy. Thats all.

TXPWRLFTR
08-06-10, 11:13 am
Nice work brother! Keep em goin'!

Thrawn
08-08-10, 8:17 am
Nice work brother! Keep em goin'!

Thanks, Greg! First wave done, went GREAT. On to the next this week. Cant WAIT.

Thrawn
08-08-10, 8:20 am
Deload mil press..

Milpress
22.5kg x 5
30kg x 5
35kg x 5

Rev bi curls supersetted with bent over side raises
20kg for curls, 5lbs plates for raises, 4 sets

Done. Deload is over. I feel good and rested. And more importantly, Confident. Time TO TEAR IT UP!!!! Second wave starts tuesday.

weedlewott
08-08-10, 9:30 am
Deload? Over? SWEET!!!!

rob_in_korea
08-08-10, 12:25 pm
Nice looking deload workouts Thrawn. I am looking forward to seeing how the second wave goes.

Vaze_06
08-08-10, 5:56 pm
eww... deload.. thank god its over. ill come back tuesday lol

Brick By Brick
08-08-10, 8:34 pm
Congrats on finishing your deload! I can't get into it, I just take the week off most of the time. I get enough cardio at work, so that's how I rationalize my thinking. Deload weeks are boring, hate to admit it....

Phil800101
08-08-10, 11:19 pm
Nice work there Bert! Keep on killing it.

Firedrake
08-08-10, 11:26 pm
Deload done, now crank it up!

Thrawn
08-09-10, 2:59 am
Deload? Over? SWEET!!!!

Yes, finally =))

Nice looking deload workouts Thrawn. I am looking forward to seeing how the second wave goes.

Thanks, Rob! Necessary part, so i do that as well as i can.
ME TOO =))

eww... deload.. thank god its over. ill come back tuesday lol

HAHA =) LOL
See ya then =)

Congrats on finishing your deload! I can't get into it, I just take the week off most of the time. I get enough cardio at work, so that's how I rationalize my thinking. Deload weeks are boring, hate to admit it....

Yeah, i know what you mean. I find it very hard myself too. I cant get the focus for it. But for now, i WILL keep trying to do them.
I have turned focus on FORM for those days. Experiment a bit with grips and stances. Keep things interesting.

Nice work there Bert! Keep on killing it.

Thank you, Phil!

Deload done, now crank it up!

Exactly what i have in mind for the next three weeks!

Thrawn
08-09-10, 3:02 am
Will have a busy week, so forgive me if i do not post as much in your journeys.
Today i will have a meet with someone who runs a company for contracting laborants like me. So even tho deadlifts are my favorite, they are postponed till tomorrow.
Wednesday i will also putting in some hard honest work at my brothers house, hauling sand and bricks. And start welding my farmers handles.
After that i should have more spare time again.

I WILL be checking you all to see what you are all up to tho =)

JUGGERNAUT
08-09-10, 12:26 pm
Today i will have a meet with someone who runs a company for contracting laborants like me. So even tho deadlifts are my favorite, they are postponed till tomorrow.
Wednesday i will also putting in some hard honest work at my brothers house, hauling sand and bricks. And start welding my farmers handles.

hauling sand and bricks would make Juggs happy. Enjoy THRAWN

Steve48
08-09-10, 1:22 pm
Sounds like you are ready to crank it up - I'm Subbed looking forward to seeing your PR's fall

Phil800101
08-09-10, 11:25 pm

Sounds good bro.

Thrawn
08-10-10, 8:24 am
hauling sand and bricks would make Juggs happy. Enjoy THRAWN

Oh, i WILL, big man!!

Sounds like you are ready to crank it up - I'm Subbed looking forward to seeing your PR's fall

Oh YES, i am =)
Thanks for the support, Steve!

Sounds good bro.

=))

Thrawn
08-10-10, 8:36 am
Not TOO proud of this, cause i badly lost my temper here, but in hindsight it could be an enjoyable read.

I walk into the gym and go straight to MY corner, that is reserved for deadlifting. As soon as i gather my materials and set things up, some guy starts doing lunges behind me. I asked him politely to find another spot, i need my space, there's only 4 ppl here, plenty of places to do lunges, only ONE place to do deads.
*Why? Do i make you nervous cause i do heavy stuff?*
*I stare at his 22lbs db's*
*I stare at him*
'No, but why crowd eachother and risk injury when there is NO need to do that?'
After that, he gets an attitude and keeps doing his work behind me.

Irritated, i do my first warmups. 60Kg. Nice, but he keeps annoying me by singing along with the music.
I look around. Still an ocean of space here. Why the HELL is he behind me...
80kg warmup set.
THEN it happens.
He walks in front of me to grab a bar while i am STILL working.
I stare at him ice-cold and finish up the set.
I take off the 10kg plate.
I stare at him still.
I throw it on his foot, making sure he KNOWS its not a mistake.
"Oh, i am sorry, must be the crowded place here that made me do it...NOW will you go elsewhere?"
He mutters and shouts, i keep my calm and keep staring, chalk up my hands.
He gets the message and few moments later i see him on the other end of the gym with an icepack on his foot.

Not my best moment, but i am NOT sorry for this.

Thrawn
08-10-10, 8:43 am
Wave two, week 1
Excellent session, except for 'tooltime' in the beginning. But enough of that.

Deads (used hookgrip on warmup sets)
105kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 9 HAPPY with this, good amount of reps.

Dips
Target 60 reps (50 reps in wave 1)
Two chains around neck: 10, 10, 10, 10, 7, 7, 6

Weighted kneeling ab crunches
75kg x 15 x 5

Super pullovers
75kg x 10 x 4

Felt GREAT and pumped after this session. Had a grin on my face on the way back home.

Brick By Brick
08-10-10, 10:49 am
Wave two, week 1
Excellent session, except for 'tooltime' in the beginning. But enough of that.

Deads (used hookgrip on warmup sets)
105kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 9 HAPPY with this, good amount of reps.

Dips
Target 60 reps (50 reps in wave 1)
Two chains around neck: 10, 10, 10, 10, 7, 7, 6

Weighted kneeling ab crunches
75kg x 15 x 5

Super pullovers
75kg x 10 x 4

Felt GREAT and pumped after this session. Had a grin on my face on the way back home.

Great work, Bert! I'm impressed. Funny story about the lunge monster, I liked it. Sounds like he can't take a hint, maybe his bruised foot will remind him to get the frick out of the way. Congrats on your tremendous lifting, and regulating the weight room.

Vaze_06
08-10-10, 9:28 pm
next time throw the 45s plate... he will never come back.... well at least not when u are around =p
awesome work out thrawn

Phil800101
08-11-10, 1:53 am
Sick work there Bert! Looking strong.

Lol, I think he learned his lesson...

weedlewott
08-11-10, 9:40 am
Haha... Almost like the time I threw a 50lb DB at someone... Yeah. Not too proud of that one either, but the guy was curling a foot away from me and I was doing Flat Flies and he hit my DBs 3 times before I had enough. So I sat up, asked him to leave, he looked at me, curled another time and turned back to the front. So I literally threw the DB at him. He wasn't too happy. Solid work going on, though. Eff that guy.

Firedrake
08-12-10, 12:58 am
Nice work. I love those dips with chains. They sound much easier to deal with than the plate swinging between my legs.

Thrawn
08-12-10, 2:52 am
Great work, Bert! I'm impressed. Funny story about the lunge monster, I liked it. Sounds like he can't take a hint, maybe his bruised foot will remind him to get the frick out of the way. Congrats on your tremendous lifting, and regulating the weight room.

Thanks, i felt pretty good about the deads and dips myself! After some time cooling down, the story becomes funnier to me too =)

next time throw the 45s plate... he will never come back.... well at least not when u are around =p
awesome work out thrawn

I certainly hope he has learned NOT to bother ppl while they are in the middle of their lifts. That is intolerable to me. Standing close when not needed to is annoying, but i will not act against that. But running up close while i am doing deads? Uh-uh. NO.
Thanks, Vaze!

Sick work there Bert! Looking strong.

Lol, I think he learned his lesson...

Thank you, Phil! I BET i have that 4pps dead in me now for SURE.

I certainly hope so!

Haha... Almost like the time I threw a 50lb DB at someone... Yeah. Not too proud of that one either, but the guy was curling a foot away from me and I was doing Flat Flies and he hit my DBs 3 times before I had enough. So I sat up, asked him to leave, he looked at me, curled another time and turned back to the front. So I literally threw the DB at him. He wasn't too happy. Solid work going on, though. Eff that guy.

Sounds like the same type of idiot to me, indeed.

Thanks, weedlewott!

Nice work. I love those dips with chains. They sound much easier to deal with than the plate swinging between my legs.

Thank you, Jim!

Hmmm. Yes and no. I do them with chains around my neck for a purpose. My tri's are not my weak link, but my chest is for sure. With the chains, i hang forward some more, putting more work into my chest combined with tri's. Shoulders get hit too, which also need more power. So i use them for my tri's, chest and shoulders. It makes for easier work in a sense that i use more musclegroups and can do more reps then i normally could with BW or added weight. BUT those chains will wobble and move. That is NOT easy. And once my chest and shoulders burn out, i quickly lose my ability to do reps also =)
With the plate between your legs, you can do them more upright, focussing on your tri's.
Here is an old vid of me doing them with the chains (year ago i guess), you can see that i move forward a bit when i go down, which is the way to do them if you want to incorporate chest and shoulders. Also note the moving of the chains:

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/shrogran/Examples%20for%20forvm/?action=view&current=Dipswithchains.flv

Thrawn
08-12-10, 2:57 am
Yesterday was going to be a hauling sand and bricks day with my brother and i was going to start with building my farmers handles with him.
Well, it certainly wasnt a good day. Thanks to other ppl NOT doing their work we lost a LOT of time before we could even start the work on the pavement.
- we had to clear out the trailer before we could even fill it
- we couldnt get the trailer out of the yard, because it was blocked by building material on the driveway
- the sand and bricks couldnt be loaded cause the company had forgotten to set aside the order for my brother
- at the scrapyard i found out that they had lost all the material i had put aside for my farmers handles. so we had to search for it all over again.

When we finally arrived back at his house, most of the day was already over. And both of us were not in the very best of spirits anymore.
We did put in good honest work, but not nearly enough as we wanted.
Ah well, one of those days everything does NOT go according to how you planned it because of others messing up.
Work on my farmers handles will probably be done now on friday.

I have been VERY sluggish from the deads, so that is good. I expect good growth and new strength there. My CHEST was pretty sore from the dips, that is also good.

Today chest, now breakfast =)

weedlewott
08-12-10, 8:24 am
Shitty day, man. But at least you got something done. Progress is progress, bro. Look at it that way. Hate you gotta postpone the handles, but shit. It'll be worth it a little more in the end.

Thrawn
08-12-10, 8:27 am
Shitty day, man. But at least you got something done. Progress is progress, bro. Look at it that way. Hate you gotta postpone the handles, but shit. It'll be worth it a little more in the end.

Yup, and the most frustrating part is that it was all beyond our control =) What could have been done in a 1 hour drive around and pickup, took us half a day.

Oh yes, it will be!!

Thrawn
08-12-10, 8:31 am
Excellent chestday. Expected to be a bit sluggish because my pecs were still pretty tight and sore from the dips tuesday, but to my surprise i was on fire today.

Week 1 of second wave 5 3 1
Benchpress
57,5kg x 5
65kg x 5
75kg x 12 and all solid good reps.

Incline DB press
24kg x 10 x 5

Shrugs
100kg x 15 x 5

Bandassisted chins, green band
10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Done. Had excellent pace and focus today. Felt indestructible.

mritter3
08-12-10, 8:36 am
great last few sessions there bert....keep it up man.

Brick By Brick
08-12-10, 8:50 am
Great bench work, mister. Sucks about the frustrating day on construction duty, perhaps it provided the fire for your lifting?

Thrawn
08-12-10, 9:30 am
great last few sessions there bert....keep it up man.

I will, Matt. I feel like i am on a roll, so i will keep pushing this momentum as long as i can.

Great bench work, mister. Sucks about the frustrating day on construction duty, perhaps it provided the fire for your lifting?

Thanks, i was kinda surprised about it too!
Nope, i am sure its the dips with chains i do. They work my pecs BIGTIME. Putting in those has made them grow visibly lately!

Brick By Brick
08-12-10, 10:52 am
Thanks, i was kinda surprised about it too!
Nope, i am sure its the dips with chains i do. They work my pecs BIGTIME. Putting in those has made them grow visibly lately!

Interesting. Keep up the good work! Read this article at work tonight and I thought it was really funny.
"The Most Hardcore Article Ever." http://articles.elitefts.com/uncategorized/the-most-hardcore-article-ever/

Steve48
08-13-10, 9:22 am
Always great to go into the gym with no expectations and have a killer workout.
Well Done!

TXPWRLFTR
08-13-10, 10:30 am
Nice work brother! Send your story to elitefts and post it to SOYG! That was funny.

Firedrake
08-13-10, 1:47 pm
Great chest day -- sorry about the mix up on the "work" day with everything, but as you say, not everything goes as planned.

Thrawn
08-14-10, 5:50 am
Interesting. Keep up the good work! Read this article at work tonight and I thought it was really funny.
"The Most Hardcore Article Ever." http://articles.elitefts.com/uncategorized/the-most-hardcore-article-ever/

I will =)

that was a great one indeed =) 'Grab the bar like it did your wife' ROFL =)

Always great to go into the gym with no expectations and have a killer workout.
Well Done!

Thanks, Steve!

Nice work brother! Send your story to elitefts and post it to SOYG! That was funny.

Thanks and i will try =)

Great chest day -- sorry about the mix up on the "work" day with everything, but as you say, not everything goes as planned.

My chestdays are getting better all the time. It is FINALLY becoming more solid.
Yup, thats life for ya.

Thrawn
08-14-10, 5:54 am
Couldnt find what you meant with SOYG on elitefts, Greg... could you sent a more elaborate link?

Thrawn
08-14-10, 6:02 am
Yesterdays leg workout went OUTSTANDING. I was pressed for time and i never like that, but it didnt bother me at all during training and i will surprised myself.
This is also the only day that has been altered on my 5 3 1, so i was not sure about weights for accessory exercises.

Week 1 of second wave 5 3 1
Squats
80kg x 5
90kg x 5 hookgripped it for fun
105kg x 11 All well below parallel. After this i stood before a fan for a while to cool down and get AIR.

Legcurl
40kg x 8 x 5 i could up this next time, either weight or reps

Frontsquat
60kg x 6 x 4
65kg x 6 x 1 a bit disappointed about the weight

Axeswings at cable
40kg x 8 x 5 short breaks

Farmers walk
40kg db's for 60 meters
40kg db's for 30 meters left db shifted out of balance on the turn because of sweat.

Done and VERY happy with this.
I brought my stance for squats in a bit, inch in total i estimate. That makes me feel more solid in the hole and gives me a bit more oomph to come out of it. Feels a bit less stable going down, but i am pretty sure thats 90% mental.
Finished up with some more yardwork at my brothers house. Hauling sand, bricks and rubble. Should be able to finish that up monday, so we can finally work on my farmers handles.

Firedrake
08-14-10, 7:30 am
VERY nice -- glad it went well . . . good luck with the rest of the yard work.

TXPWRLFTR
08-14-10, 2:06 pm
Nice work.
Go to www.elitefts.com
Click on Q&A
Scroll down and on the left side under comments you will find SOYG
Once on SOYG, scroll to bottom and click on Ask An Expert. Make sure you title it SOYG.

I had an incident that I sent to them and it was added to their list. Some of the stuff you will read will have you laughing!

Thrawn
08-15-10, 9:07 am
VERY nice -- glad it went well . . . good luck with the rest of the yard work.

Thanks, Jim!

Nice work.
Go to www.elitefts.com
Click on Q&A
Scroll down and on the left side under comments you will find SOYG
Once on SOYG, scroll to bottom and click on Ask An Expert. Make sure you title it SOYG.

I had an incident that I sent to them and it was added to their list. Some of the stuff you will read will have you laughing!

Thanks!
Got it and sent it to Jim as a SOYG title =)

Thrawn
08-15-10, 9:14 am
Had an outstanding overhead press session.

Week 1 of second wave, log press session

Strongman Logpress
40kg x 5
45kg x 5 hookgrip here for fun
50kg x 10 sadly loss of balance on last rep, otherwise i would have gotten 11 i think.

60kg with belt and wristwraps x 2
60kg without gear for a solid relative easy single. YES, my shoulders are coming along nice lately.

Hangcleans with strongman log
52,5kg x 5 x 4 hookgrip on set 2 and 3

Bent over rows, yates style
85kg x 10 x 4

Side raises
16kg x 8 x 4 hookgrip on set 3

It was stormy weather outside and that fit my mood exactly. Nothing like doing this kind of work in your backyard.
Too bad i have not been able to pull cars on the last two sundays. My girl has been working weekend shifts and the friend with the tractor i sometimes pull is on holiday. i certainly HOPE that next week i will be wearing my harness again...

rob_in_korea
08-15-10, 9:34 am
Awesome workouts Thrawn. Great job on those Log Presses and Squats.

-Rob

Brick By Brick
08-15-10, 6:04 pm
Great job, Bert! Leg work and log work look tremendous.

Firedrake
08-15-10, 11:21 pm
Solid damn work, Bert!

Thrawn
08-17-10, 9:11 am
Awesome workouts Thrawn. Great job on those Log Presses and Squats.

-Rob

Thank you, Rob!

Great job, Bert! Leg work and log work look tremendous.

Felt tremendous too =) Thanks =)

Solid damn work, Bert!

Thank you, Jim!

Thrawn
08-17-10, 9:17 am
I aint gonna lie, this day was HARD. Yesterday me and my brother finished up the yardwork FINALLY. Certainly felt sluggish going to the gym, but i was in high spirits, looking forward to my deadlift session. Just minutes before i started the workout i got two calls in a row about me being rejected for job applications. That totally bummed me out and i felt in no mood to do anything at all anymore. Decided to go in and see how it would go. Despite not being into it the session went great, even tho every rep was a battle this time.

Week 2 wave 2
Deadlifts; used hookgrip on all but the last set
115kg x 3
130kg x 3
145kg x 8 good work.

Dips, two chains around neck, 60 reps target
10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 7, 5

Sitting weighted ab crunches
75kg x 15 x 5

Facepulls
50kg x 20 x 2
50kg x 15 x 2

Farmers walk
40kg db's for 60 meters

Feel great about being able to put in such a good session without wanting to be there.

Firedrake
08-17-10, 11:18 am
Sometimes, my brother, pushing through discouragement gives us the greatest rewards of all! I'm sorry about the job apps (boy, do I understand that one), but keep at it. The RIGHT job is out there, honest.

You got in some solid damn work, and that's what counted!

Brick By Brick
08-17-10, 3:37 pm
Much respect to you Bert, for putting in a great session even though you were dealing with some disappointing news. 145 kg DLs x 8 reps makes me want to barf even thinking about it! You're a monster!

Thrawn
08-17-10, 4:42 pm
Sometimes, my brother, pushing through discouragement gives us the greatest rewards of all! I'm sorry about the job apps (boy, do I understand that one), but keep at it. The RIGHT job is out there, honest.

You got in some solid damn work, and that's what counted!

Very true words!
Yeah, i know. Its hard for all ppl unemployed. Hard times. I WILL be patient =)
I am pleased with it myself. It was kinda robotic and without the soul, but it went WELL.

Much respect to you Bert, for putting in a great session even though you were dealing with some disappointing news. 145 kg DLs x 8 reps makes me want to barf even thinking about it! You're a monster!

Thanks! It was tough, but i was not going to miss my workout.
You gimme a bit too much credit about the monsterthing but every session brings me a step closer =)
next week there will be 155kg on the floor waiting for me... i am already looking forward to that.
I am SURE i got the 4pps pull in me right now. I can taste it.

Steve48
08-17-10, 7:49 pm
Great job Overcoming the disappointment and hitting your workout would have been easy to shut it down. In 1991 I was unemployed for 6 months so I'm very sensitive to people being out of work and these days I'm doing everything I can to get people work.

Good Luck!

TXPWRLFTR
08-17-10, 10:11 pm
Hang in there bud, I know the feeling. I have applied at 39 private schools, 2 colleges, 19 public schools...and nothing...very frustrating. At least a person from the district did tell me it was going to be hard getting a job as a teacher/coach this year...I have been appying since May...sad thing is a few of the schools never replied to my emails or even return phone calls...but I know something will come about for you and I...I have been looking into the medical field too, have some experience in health and wellness, rehab modalities, etc...have a good lead on one...just need to hear more from the director...

I was at the gym tonite and saw one of our lifters performing SLDL's, dude is a beast...he had 425 and was repping away...my hammies began to scream just looking him...lol...
He is something else...lol...ME for every workout he does...lol...so it seems...lol.

Thrawn
08-18-10, 3:18 am
Great job Overcoming the disappointment and hitting your workout would have been easy to shut it down. In 1991 I was unemployed for 6 months so I'm very sensitive to people being out of work and these days I'm doing everything I can to get people work.

Good Luck!

Thanks, steve!
Yeah, my mind was in a state of 'shut down'. Not wanting to be there. I forced it. Doesnt always work, but this time it did!

Hang in there bud, I know the feeling. I have applied at 39 private schools, 2 colleges, 19 public schools...and nothing...very frustrating. At least a person from the district did tell me it was going to be hard getting a job as a teacher/coach this year...I have been appying since May...sad thing is a few of the schools never replied to my emails or even return phone calls...but I know something will come about for you and I...I have been looking into the medical field too, have some experience in health and wellness, rehab modalities, etc...have a good lead on one...just need to hear more from the director...

I was at the gym tonite and saw one of our lifters performing SLDL's, dude is a beast...he had 425 and was repping away...my hammies began to scream just looking him...lol...
He is something else...lol...ME for every workout he does...lol...so it seems...lol.

Yeah, it totally SUCKS when they dont even bother to contact you about your interest. Makes you wonder why you took the trouble in the first place.
Hope your good lead comes through, brother!!! Got my fingers crossed for you!

425 sldl...? Thats 190kg.... for REPS? that would tear my hammies right off.... if i remember correctly, the biggest i ever did was 130kg / 290lbs... for a single or double.

About our challenge.... i am pretty sure i can rep at least a dozen with bodyweight =) How about YOU? Lets see where we stand right now...

Thrawn
08-18-10, 3:33 am
Gonna have an exciting day... i have a job interview at 13:00.
Its way below my capabilities and its only for 5 months with a fixed contract, meaning that IF something better comes along, i cant get out of the contract. 5 months is 5 months.
Its not perfect, BUT its very nearby and EASY work.
It would take some of the pressure off of me.

Got my fingers, toes and nuts crossed for this one.

Brick By Brick
08-18-10, 3:58 am
Gonna have an exciting day... i have a job interview at 13:00.
Its way below my capabilities and its only for 5 months with a fixed contract, meaning that IF something better comes along, i cant get out of the contract. 5 months is 5 months.
Its not perfect, BUT its very nearby and EASY work.
It would take some of the pressure off of me.

Got my fingers, toes and nuts crossed for this one.

Best of luck, hope you get it! Remember to uncross your nuts after you get the job.

weedlewott
08-18-10, 9:12 am
Work is work, bro. How are things going?

Thrawn
08-18-10, 9:35 am
Best of luck, hope you get it! Remember to uncross your nuts after you get the job.

Interview went great, now its up to the company to decide which of us is the best candidate for the team.
Lol: WILL DO =)

Work is work, bro. How are things going?

Exactly. It will put food and supps on the table =)
Actually, GREAT. This 5 3 1 appears to suit me fine. I keep getting better at it. Weights keep going up, but i keep repping better. I am on ramming course for my PR's!

Thrawn
08-18-10, 5:35 pm
Talking about a BEAST.
Look at this olympic lift. A snatch.
This is SO deceptive; he is so fast and explosive he makes it look easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARBnihM7Xzk

THEN consider it is 205kg / 455lbs!!

I cant even deadlift that yet. Hell, my max lift on rackpulls is only 15kg more.
But that is only a small distance for a lift.
Consider having to pull that weight a meter / yard high in a WIDE grip. THEN flip it overhead in full lockout. THEN stand up.

I cant even fathom the strength and focus needed for this.

Thrawn
08-18-10, 6:14 pm
And to stay in this state of amazement...

A 420kg / 933lbs squat with a belt and kneewraps... NO suit. NO cage. Just a rack and spotters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqmQe13j3F8&feature=related

Mr. Dead
08-18-10, 6:20 pm
What's up, in here...???

TXPWRLFTR
08-19-10, 8:42 am
Bodyweight SLDL's for reps huh? That's 250lbs for me...lol

I will look into shooting a video next week or so an posting it on here lol.

Talk about a bummer, Amy calls me yesterday evening and tells me the van is over heating...I get to her and sure enough...engine coolant all in the floor board on the passenger side...heater coil gone...so the only way to fix it is to unplug the hoses into the heater coil and plug them together to circulate water throught the motor area...sounds easy but it's a Nissan van...not enough room to reach back behind the motor....so what seems like hours later, I cut the hoses, joined them together...added more coolant and water into the radiator...drive it a mile and damn thing heated up again...

Thrawn
08-19-10, 9:35 am
What's up, in here...???

My weights and my bodyweight =) So good news all around, huh? lol!

Bodyweight SLDL's for reps huh? That's 250lbs for me...lol

I will look into shooting a video next week or so an posting it on here lol.

Talk about a bummer, Amy calls me yesterday evening and tells me the van is over heating...I get to her and sure enough...engine coolant all in the floor board on the passenger side...heater coil gone...so the only way to fix it is to unplug the hoses into the heater coil and plug them together to circulate water throught the motor area...sounds easy but it's a Nissan van...not enough room to reach back behind the motor....so what seems like hours later, I cut the hoses, joined them together...added more coolant and water into the radiator...drive it a mile and damn thing heated up again...

I will take a vid in about a week too, just before deload.

Oh man, that SUCKS. Nothing gets more under my skin then problems like that. SO annoying.

Thrawn
08-19-10, 9:39 am
Well.
To start with the bad news...
Last week i got bummed out two minutes before i went into the gym. Two calls of job rejections right after eachother. So i went from high spirits to bummed out.

This time its the other way around =) I leave the gym in high spirits because my benching is becoming better and better. Few minutes after i walk out of the gym... another job rejection.
From high spirits to bummed out again.

Things are turning for the worst now. Within a few weeks i will lose additional income because i am unemployed for too long. That puts my house and life savings at risk.

Thrawn
08-19-10, 9:43 am
Awesome benchsession today. Had a ton of fun in the gym.

Week 2 of wave 2
benchpress
62,5kg x 3
70kg x 3
80kg x 11 =) whoohooo!

Incline db press
24kg x 10 x 3
26kg x 10 x 2

Shrugs
100kg x 15 x 3
110kg x 12 x 2

Powersnatches for the hell of it. i am not allowed to do them, but the owner is on holiday and there is nothing in the world better then being a bad boy.
Just for fun, lightweight, been AGES since i done them.
40kg x 1 x 3
50kg x 1 x 3 last two without belt and that went way better.

Hammer curls
20kg x 10 x 3
20kg x 9

And on my way home! Psyched about the 11 reps. Thats 3 more then expected.

wedge
08-19-10, 10:31 am
Nice job on the bench bro. Looks like you are adapting to 531 nicely.

TXPWRLFTR
08-19-10, 1:02 pm
Nice work!

rob_in_korea
08-20-10, 5:14 am
Incredible workouts Thrawn. Congrats on that solid benching and deadlifting.
Thanks for sharing those videos.
Sorry to hear about the job situation, but remember in the end it will all work out.
I say this because I went form having 50 cents left in my bank account in 2003 to earning $125,000 a year by 2006......of course then I left it all behind to start our business.

-Rob

Brick By Brick
08-20-10, 6:46 am
Nice bench session, T. Sorry to hear about the job situation, thoughts and prayers that your luck changes soon.

Thrawn
08-20-10, 7:32 am
Wedge:
Thanks, yes, it seems like it is tailormade for me =)

Greg:
Thank you!

Rob:
Thanks!
Glad you liked the vids =)
Yeah, its a bit hard right now to keep the head up, but i know my time will come.

Brick;
Thanks, Kellee!
I am with you on that one... =)

Thrawn
08-20-10, 7:42 am
I dunno what it is with this 5 3 1. The weight keep getting bigger, but i still keep getting the reps or more. Not that i am complaining =), but shouldnt it be the other way around?

Week 2 of wave 2
Squats
85kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x 10 just a belt. VERY happy here. There were 2 reps that were not up to my standard (butt up too fast), but i am working on that. HIPS, Bert. Use your HIPS.
I WILL admit i spent a good 2 minutes in front of a fan after this set to recover.

Legcurl
45kg x 8 x 5

Frontsquats
65kg x 6 x 4 still lightweight and not happy with this (damn ego), but after those squats this appears to be more then enough to put an excellent burn in my legs.

Axe swings
45kg x 8 x 4

Awesome day. I have to work a bit more on driving my hips up while coming up from the hole. I am relying too much on legpower only. I notice that when i time it right, put hips into it, arms pushing up under the bar, i can stay upright better and the ascent is much smoother.

Moment of the day:
Somewhere during the last reps of the last set on squats i gave a pretty hard grunt. Dunno why, it just happened. So i drew some attention from some older folks in the cardio room.
I sit there in front of the fan trying to recover. Sweating, panting heavily, a few dry heaves, shaking.
"Are you feeling sick?"
I smile and say:
"No, it doesnt get better then this, its called leg day. Its great fun"
The old man shakes his head in disbelief and goes back to the spinning bike.

weedlewott
08-20-10, 7:57 am
Cool deal. I wouldn't complain about the weight/rep ratio, either. Progress is progress no matter where it comes from, right? Good, solid day.

Brick By Brick
08-20-10, 10:56 am
Good job, buddy. Glad to see that 5/3/1 is working so well for you. I'm excited to see your progress with this great program.

Thrawn
08-21-10, 4:16 am
Cool deal. I wouldn't complain about the weight/rep ratio, either. Progress is progress no matter where it comes from, right? Good, solid day.

Absolutely!
Well, i KNOW i need to feel some resistance to get me going. I can warmup better with 220lbs then 120lbs for deadlifts, for instance. So i did expect to do relatively better in the second and thirds weeks of 531. But without braggin, i am amazed at how well its going. Normally i NEVER rep high and i wasnt very good at it either. Last two weeks i AM and its still the lack of stamina that makes me stop 1 or 2 reps early.

Good job, buddy. Glad to see that 5/3/1 is working so well for you. I'm excited to see your progress with this great program.

Thanks, Kellee =) Much appreciated. Your support has been a big factor for me, so consider my progress partially yours =)
Because it is going so well i will go for new PR's after this wave. I will make a great deload week, rest and relax. Then take all PR's (that matter to me) to the butchers house.
I expect military press, deadlift, squat, bench, rackpull and frontsquat to fall (those last two are extra and for fun). Then i should have some nice new numbers to calculate the next 2 - 3 waves from.
I MIGHT enter a comp at the end of the year if all keeps going well. I am NOT sure about this. I lost a lot of fun last year when i started training for a comp. Dont want that to happen again.

I just heard from my brother that pretty nearby there should be a truckpull contest. DAMNIT. We are going there to watch, but i would sure liked to have known this earlier. I would have loved to enter, to see if i can do it.
The strength sports in the Netherlands should do a LOT more promotion for these type of events. This sucks.

Brick By Brick
08-21-10, 5:11 am
I do what I can! And thank you for your support, it means the world. Talk to the people who are running the truck pull and see if you can get any info about upcoming events. Strength sports always seem to need more competitors. This gives you time to train for the next comp, yes?

Steve48
08-21-10, 6:28 am
Great Job on the 5.3.1......Sounds like your body is adapting to it real well.
Great Progress - the PR's will Fall

Thrawn
08-22-10, 8:34 am
I do what I can! And thank you for your support, it means the world. Talk to the people who are running the truck pull and see if you can get any info about upcoming events. Strength sports always seem to need more competitors. This gives you time to train for the next comp, yes?

You are more then welcome =)
I tried, but there were some unlucky events. First of all, the comp had to be postponed because of sudden downpours. After starting two hours late, we couldnt stay until the end of the comp: we still had groceries to do and supermarkets were about to close.
I DO have the phonenumber of the person who organized it, so i will see if i will be able to gather some info from him.

Great Job on the 5.3.1......Sounds like your body is adapting to it real well.
Great Progress - the PR's will Fall

Thanks Steve!
Oh YES they will.

Thrawn
08-22-10, 8:44 am
Another pretty good workout. Like last week, nice stormy weather outside. Makes for a great workout in the yard.

week 2 of wave 2
Logpress
42.5kg x 3
47.5kg x 3
55kg x 8 NICE.

65kg x 1 for two good solid singles. My shoulders are DEF improving

Log hangcleans supersetted with fighting one of my cats =)
55kg x 5 x 4 Our cat Goofy discovered my shoelaces while i was doing this =) So i let him go at it while i hangcleaned, then played with him during the short breaks.
All was safe, i'd rather break my own back then get one of my cats hurt.

Bent over rows, undergrip
85kg x 10 x 5 First two sets felt entirely strange.

Side raises
16kg x 8 x 4

Good fun and felt great. Strange that the first two sets of the BOR felt totally off. I was prepared to skip them if the third set was also strange. But the third started out fine and the strange feeling never returned.

rob_in_korea
08-22-10, 11:02 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. You are making some great progress on this routine.

-Rob

The Sun
08-22-10, 7:53 pm
good work T. when are you going for PRs?

Brick By Brick
08-22-10, 9:08 pm
Nice log presses, T. You're really getting the hang of it!

Thrawn
08-23-10, 4:17 am
Outstanding workouts Thrawn. You are making some great progress on this routine.

-Rob

Thanks Rob!!

good work T. when are you going for PRs?

Thank you, buddy!
One more week of 5 3 1, then a week of deload. Then its ON.

Nice log presses, T. You're really getting the hang of it!

Thank you, sister. Its fun stuff to do.

Thrawn
08-23-10, 9:37 am
Just to remind you Americans how lucky you are to live in a country where lifting is still being done and pricing is cheap.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/index.php/Powerlifting-Bars/Ivanko-Black-Oxide-Olympic-Bar-28mm

210 dollars in the US.

http://www.sport-tiedje.com/nl/ivanko/hantelstange/obx_black.htm

that very same bar, ON SALE, for 760 euros. I dunno the current exchange rate, but you could easily say its 4 times more expensive here.

DAMN THIS COUNTRY. Damn it straight to hell.
There is not a decent bar for a fair price available here. Its either the tinfoil crap the local gym has, or Eleiko / Ivanko. There is nothing in between.
Having a bar shipped to me from overseas will make it unaffordable again, adding 250 dollars in shipping costs.

Unbelievable.

Brick By Brick
08-23-10, 10:14 am
Just to remind you Americans how lucky you are to live in a country where lifting is still being done and pricing is cheap.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com/index.php/Powerlifting-Bars/Ivanko-Black-Oxide-Olympic-Bar-28mm

210 dollars in the US.

http://www.sport-tiedje.com/nl/ivanko/hantelstange/obx_black.htm

that very same bar, ON SALE, for 760 euros. I dunno the current exchange rate, but you could easily say its 4 times more expensive here.

DAMN THIS COUNTRY. Damn it straight to hell.
There is not a decent bar for a fair price available here. Its either the tinfoil crap the local gym has, or Eleiko / Ivanko. There is nothing in between.
Having a bar shipped to me from overseas will make it unaffordable again, adding 250 dollars in shipping costs.

Unbelievable.

I love America! Do you know anyone who is a decent welder?

Thrawn
08-23-10, 10:21 am
I love America! Do you know anyone who is a decent welder?

Lucky bastard =)) But come one, you gotta admit, this price difference is just plain idiotic.

Yup, my brother can weld pretty good.

Brick By Brick
08-23-10, 10:36 am
Lucky bastard =)) But come one, you gotta admit, this price difference is just plain idiotic.

Yup, my brother can weld pretty good.

The price difference is idiotic. Use your redneck ingenuity and see if he can weld you some of the equipment you'd like to have. My husband has built a prowler, two logs, a conan's wheel, and is building me a 2 inch axle right now. Not that it never crossed your mind, just sayin', don't let the man keep you down. Creativity, baby!

Thrawn
08-23-10, 10:41 am
The price difference is idiotic. Use your redneck ingenuity and see if he can weld you some of the equipment you'd like to have. My husband has built a prowler, two logs, a conan's wheel, and is building me a 2 inch axle right now. Not that it never crossed your mind, just sayin', don't let the man keep you down. Creativity, baby!

Oh, my brother and i are going to make some stuff for SURE. Problem is my lack of financial bloodflow and my brothers work schedule.
But we are certainly making a prowler, farmers handles and a yoke. The farmers handles start thursday, the raw material is already in his garage.

But i also want a GOOD bar i can depend on. I am not looking for a perfect OL bar or PL bar, as i love to do both. And a bar is not something we can make. That is beyond our capabilities. And i cannot seem to find ANY store in this flat ugly country that sells anything decent like York, Rogue, Pendlay or Texas. The good midpriced, but still competition spec bars.
And when i check those webstores in the US, i just cannot help but get SO frustrated at whats available to you all and at such low prices...

Brick By Brick
08-23-10, 10:52 am
Oh, my brother and i are going to make some stuff for SURE. Problem is my lack of financial bloodflow and my brothers work schedule.
But we are certainly making a prowler, farmers handles and a yoke. The farmers handles start thursday, the raw material is already in his garage.

But i also want a GOOD bar i can depend on. I am not looking for a perfect OL bar or PL bar, as i love to do both. And a bar is not something we can make. That is beyond our capabilities. And i cannot seem to find ANY store in this flat ugly country that sells anything decent like York, Rogue, Pendlay or Texas. The good midpriced, but still competition spec bars.
And when i check those webstores in the US, i just cannot help but get SO frustrated at whats available to you all and at such low prices...

I feel your pain. Looking at the prices for a cambered, buffalo, or safety squat bar make me cringe. I have the money, I just can't justify it for some reason. Karl is building an axle out of 1.9 inch 40 schedule pipe, we're just welding collars on both ends. It's nothing fancy, don't get the wrong idea.

Thrawn
08-23-10, 11:04 am
I feel your pain. Looking at the prices for a cambered, buffalo, or safety squat bar make me cringe. I have the money, I just can't justify it for some reason. Karl is building an axle out of 1.9 inch 40 schedule pipe, we're just welding collars on both ends. It's nothing fancy, don't get the wrong idea.

I cant even get those things =) LOL
Yeah, its frustrating.
Oh, never mind it being fancy or not. Its weight, its needs to be lifted. Its not a fashion show. I am pretty happy how my Strongman log turned out after my custom paint job, but the farmers handles will be made in the same way. First and foremost, they must be GOOD and functional. IF i can make them pretty, sure, i will. But that is the last thing on my mind.

Same for the prowler / sled. Its gonna be a rough one. I dont care. I want it to wear me down, not make me look good.

Glad to hear your man is able to make you some good stuff, Kellee!! Its FUN to have your own stuff. Everytime i take my strongman out of the garage, i am smiling.

Brick By Brick
08-23-10, 11:35 am
I cant even get those things =) LOL
Yeah, its frustrating.
Oh, never mind it being fancy or not. Its weight, its needs to be lifted. Its not a fashion show. I am pretty happy how my Strongman log turned out after my custom paint job, but the farmers handles will be made in the same way. First and foremost, they must be GOOD and functional. IF i can make them pretty, sure, i will. But that is the last thing on my mind.

Same for the prowler / sled. Its gonna be a rough one. I dont care. I want it to wear me down, not make me look good.

Glad to hear your man is able to make you some good stuff, Kellee!! Its FUN to have your own stuff. Everytime i take my strongman out of the garage, i am smiling.

Not a fashion show? Bite your tongue. Just kidding... Your strongman log is pimp, love the paint job. I've been trying to figure out how to paint an A logo on my gray log. Excited to see how the farmer's turn out, as well. I'm sure they will be rock solid.
I agree with you, form creates function, 100%. I am lucky to have a husband that knows how to weld - funny how that came in handy so late in life!

Thrawn
08-23-10, 11:40 am
Not a fashion show? Bite your tongue. Just kidding... Your strongman log is pimp, love the paint job. I've been trying to figure out how to paint an A logo on my gray log. Excited to see how the farmer's turn out, as well. I'm sure they will be rock solid.
I agree with you, form creates function, 100%. I am lucky to have a husband that knows how to weld - funny how that came in handy so late in life!

If shipping wasnt so extra terrestrial expensive, i would say: send me your log and i will do some custom work on it for ya, free of charge =)

Brick By Brick
08-23-10, 1:03 pm
If shipping wasnt so extra terrestrial expensive, i would say: send me your log and i will do some custom work on it for ya, free of charge =)

No worries, I'm scheming on a paint job right now. It might not be as pretty as yours, but it'll work.

Thrawn
08-24-10, 3:46 am
This session has been on my mind for the last two weeks. The last big lift before i go try a new PR.
Deadlift is my favorite, even tho i suck at it. I should be able to pull a LOT more, imo. But it is the way it is.

345lbs will be on the floor for max reps in week 3 of 5 3 1. As i am shooting for a new PR, anything less then 5 reps is unacceptable to me.

This will be a hard one tho. I am NOT in a good state of mind last two days. Hitting a nice string of more bad luck to add to my normal bad luck. Life is NOT treating me nicely lately. So i feel 'defeated by life', 'down on my luck'.

But i will do my utmost best and try to make myself and others proud.
This was the session i was looking forward to the most. Now its time to MAKE IT COUNT today.

Thrawn
08-24-10, 9:08 am
Session went outstanding, even tho i felt slightly down.
I was able to 'black it out' during the actual lifting, but in the rests i couldnt shake it. I wonder if i could have done even better if i had been in my normal state of mind.

Week 3 of wave 2
Deadlifts
120kg x 5
140kg x 3
155kg x 7 YAY =)

Dips, two chains around neck, 60 reps target
10 x 5, 7 ,3

Weighted abs
80kg x 15 x 3
80kg x 14
80kg x 12

Seated rows, medium wide grip
70kg x 8 x 2
75kg x 8
80kg x 8
85kg x 6

And done! Good speed, good solid reps. Very happy with the 7 reps on 345lbs. 2 more then i was shooting for. NICE.

Tomorrow is benching. Normally i have a day of rest after deads and dips, but thursday i will be at my brothers house working on the farmers handles =)))))))
So i hope my chest / shoulders recover quickly, otherwise i might miss a few reps tomorrow. Thats not bad either, part of the game.

TXPWRLFTR
08-24-10, 9:48 am
Nice work my friend.

Brick By Brick
08-24-10, 10:16 am
Damn good DLs Bert. Nice session there, bud.

Firedrake
08-25-10, 12:45 am
Very solid work, weird mood or not, Bert!

Thrawn
08-25-10, 2:50 am
Nice work my friend.

Thank you, Greg! I am pretty happy with how things are going right now =)

Damn good DLs Bert. Nice session there, bud.

Thank you, Kellee!

Very solid work, weird mood or not, Bert!

Thanks Jim!! I was trying to block out the weird mood as much as i could. It did help!

Thrawn
08-25-10, 2:55 am
Not even feeling sore today. Very strange. I was expecting to have some soreness in the lowerback and hams, maybe under the traps. Those familiar pains after deadlifts. At the very least the dips always gimme some reminder the next day.

Not so, it appears. Except from a minor problem in my forearms (i appear to develop triggerpoints there) i feel shiny and brandnew.

I have heard that my gym is getting some new equipment. Replacing the old busted up stuff and if all goes well, new DB's. Could be interesting =)

Thrawn
08-25-10, 7:47 am
Excellent benchsession. Form was slightly off compared to last week, but what i lacked in consistency of form, i made up with determination and power.
Lack of form was probably because even tho i felt fresh and new, my shoulders were feeling rather sluggish and tired, unstable, from yesterdays dips / deads.

Week 3 of wave 2
Benchpress
65kg x 5
75kg x 3
82.5kg x 10 nice! After unracking i lost position slightly, but i thought 'fuck it' and repped it.

Incline DB press
26kg x 10 x 5

Shrugs
100kg x 15 x 2
110kg x 15 x 2
110kg x 10

V-Bar pushdowns
70kg x 10
80kg x 10
85kg x 10
90kg x 10

Done. Too bad benching was a bit shaky, cause the weight felt easy-breasy.

Relaxing now, tomorrow at my brothers house making my very own Farmers handles.

weedlewott
08-25-10, 10:03 am
Wicked awesome work, bro. Great things going down in here. How are you?

Brick By Brick
08-25-10, 1:48 pm
Bench monster Bert. Look at you! Great job! Can't wait to see the farmer's when they're done.

rob_in_korea
08-26-10, 4:47 am
Sick workouts Thrawn. Congrats on those deadlifts.

-Rob

Thrawn
08-26-10, 6:38 am
Wicked awesome work, bro. Great things going down in here. How are you?

Thanks, brother! I will keep it going, thats a promise!
With me it is so so. I feel pretty good physically, but mentally i am a bit off because of the no-job and no-money situation. It is really starting to bum me out.

Bench monster Bert. Look at you! Great job! Can't wait to see the farmer's when they're done.

Thanks Kellee =))
Me neither, but the project has been postponed again...

Sick workouts Thrawn. Congrats on those deadlifts.

-Rob

Thanks Rob, i was mighty pleased with them! there is more to come!

Thrawn
08-26-10, 6:40 am
Once again the work on my farmers handles has been postponed. We have had some good steady weather lately, but since yesterday it is all torrential rain.
My brothers garage is pretty full so the welding and cutting needs to be done outside. NOT an option in this kind of weather.
Pretty annoyed by this, but the weather is beyond my control.

Steve48
08-26-10, 9:47 pm
Good Job on the Bench.....we just got thru 3 days of rain so I feel from you .

TheBaroness
08-26-10, 11:51 pm
Sounds like the weather has gotten the best of many of us. Dealing with the same out here. My legs get an extra day of rest ( with the exception of torturous cardio this morning before work) do to this crappy weather. =)

Thrawn
08-27-10, 4:06 am
Good Job on the Bench.....we just got thru 3 days of rain so I feel from you .

Thanks Steve!

Sounds like the weather has gotten the best of many of us. Dealing with the same out here. My legs get an extra day of rest ( with the exception of torturous cardio this morning before work) do to this crappy weather. =)

Then we are all in the same boat =)

Forecast is the same for the next couple of days. Relentless rain. Yesterday was pretty bad. In some parts of the Netherlands there fell so much rain cars were up to halfway in water. According to the news, some parts received more rain in a day then it gets normally in a month...

mritter3
08-27-10, 8:29 am
some strong work going on in here Bert...looks good man.

Thrawn
08-27-10, 11:12 am
some strong work going on in here Bert...looks good man.

Thanks Matt!

Thrawn
08-27-10, 11:19 am
Battled myself through a workout with a difficult start. Overslept badly, had to rush through breakfast to still have some time for training. It was an absolute downpour when i went to the gym and there was some pretty strong wind too. Finally at the gym i was pretty damn soaked and shivery cold.
Took some extra time to do get warmed up properly but it appears it wasnt enough yet. The warmup sets with squats went amazing, but when i started the worksets they felt pretty heavy. But no problem, i just put on my stubborn head and took it in stride.

Week 3 of wave 2
Squats
90kg x 5
105kg x 3
115kg x 8 this is good enough, i had secretly hoped for one more.

Legcurl
45kg x 8 x 5 fairly easy

Frontsquats
70kg x 5 x 3
75kg x 5

Felt low on energy after that, probably because normally my breakfast is a bit bigger. So i called it a day, was near closing time anyway. No problem tho, the workout was solid and felt great.

Brick By Brick
08-27-10, 11:25 am
Very solid work, Thrawn. Nice job on the last set of squats, that's pretty damn good. Good job busting through and getting it done though you felt a little subpar.

Mr. Dead
08-27-10, 11:26 am
How's it goin', in here...???

Thrawn
08-27-10, 11:29 am
Very solid work, Thrawn. Nice job on the last set of squats, that's pretty damn good. Good job busting through and getting it done though you felt a little subpar.

Thanks, Kellee!
I think it was more BEING subpar. Just had a hard time getting warm and moving after being so soaked and cold (damn icecold wind) in the rainstorm. Also the smaller then usual breakfast played its part. I felt pretty good.

How's it goin', in here...???

Its going well and after next week, a proper deload, it will be ON.

Mr. Dead
08-27-10, 11:33 am
Its going well and after next week, a proper deload, it will be ON.

Nice!!! Lookin' forward to the carnage, after the deload!!!