PDA

View Full Version : What injuries have you had and what did you do about it?

WeeMan
03-16-08, 12:39 pm
recently i injured my shoulder doing push press. i went to the doctor and he said that the cartilage in my shoulder now grinds together whenever i lift my arm above shoulder height.
now the shoulder excercises i can do are a little restricted.

what i had to do was go light on every excercise i can do. and when i do an excercise like dumbbell press or military press, i have to keep my grip as close as possible. no problem!!

what about you?

jeff00z28
03-16-08, 12:42 pm
luckily nothing serious that came from working out. I pinched a nerve in my neck doing a hammer strength wide press machine (i have no idea how) and that put me in bed for a few days but no permanent damage. it hurt

krazyassmexican
03-16-08, 12:46 pm
strained lowerback, what did i do?

RICE!

widdlewade44
03-16-08, 12:49 pm
Pinched nerves, muscle tears and one dislocation (right knee). Time and diet along with rest were my keys to recovering and coming back even stronger. Injuries are part of this game and definitely suck...

Kevin
widdlewade44

intoodeep25
03-16-08, 12:51 pm
hernia..rest and prayer

Iron4Life
03-16-08, 12:59 pm
pinched nerves, dislocated collar bone, torn ligaments... you know the usual contact sport bang ups... all u can do is rest and eat well.... keep your minerals and vitamins high also....

Kev90
03-16-08, 1:04 pm
Inflammation in both my rotator cuffs and knees. Medication took care of the knees along with rest, diet, and proper rehabilitation exercises. Cortisone injections were neccessary on the shoulders. Had to lay away from the heavy weights...that sucks ass.

Ozkar
03-16-08, 1:10 pm
Had Knee surgery after a football injury that just tore it, my shoulder popped out of its socket one time as well, both wrists injured while doing olympic-style lifts and my right ankle's messed up too...

After every injury, just rest for a while, then started doing light exercises, then returned to the gym for my rehab exercises and some swimming...

bigdipper
03-16-08, 10:51 pm
Tore my left pec, anterior delt and bicep all in one shot about 10 years ago. Jumped back into it too soon and blew out the right side.
Learned the hard way to listen to the guys before me that told me to give it time. Hey, at 18 I was an idiot. So to the young guys out there that end up experiencing something similar, remember, taking time off for an injury does not make you a pussy. Being sore, aches and pains, yeah that's stuff we all gotta deal with and you just work through it. But for the serious stuff? Take care of your body..it's the only one ya got!

Rocky

Thrawn
03-17-08, 7:24 am
Tendinitis (? is this the correct word ?) in my left wrist: had to abandon biceps curls, upright rows and side raises for a while. I waited it out and tried once in a while if i could stress it again.
Now i have a strained left lat. Same: i wait it out and go as heavy as i can or feel safe on lifts that are affected.
Eating good and resting plenty also ofcourse, but to me that is logical.

Cellerator65
03-17-08, 8:50 am
tendonitis in both my knees from high school... went to PT, but the pain comes back... i just lift through it

deanna7272
03-17-08, 8:50 am
I have had 2 herniated discs in my back in which I had microdiscectomies on both (1/04 - 3/06)... Mine, more or less, were probably caused from NOT training my core the way I should have and didn't keep it strong.

The first stemmed from shoveling snow, the ball of my right foot went numb and I let it go (there was NO pain, just numbness) and then I went to play volleyball... The next morning I woke up and couldn't stand up straight. They did an MRI and found the herniation, wanted to do surgery , but I refused it. A year later, I climbed through a window and it finally did me in (L5-S1)...

The second disc herniated on the leg press. I went back to the gym in February 06... February 28, I was doing the leg press (only 50 pounds) and stood up to stretch and felt a pop in my lower back, once again, no pain... About 6 days later the nerve pain took me to the floor and I had my second surgery 1 week later....

I was FINALLY able to return to the gym in January 2007... It was SLOW, LIGHT WEIGHT sometimes NO weight, and EVERYTHING BACK SUPPORTED.... I still try to do everything back supported, with a belt, etc but I try to engage my core as much as possible.

Injury recovery is one of the most frustrating things.... I KNEW what I could do BEFORE my injury and wanted to go back to that point ASAP... It's a LONG HARD ROAD and anyone who has been there knows.... GO SLOW, EASE back into it and PREVENT further injury by being SMART.... When you are young, you think you can do just about anything and are invincible, that is not a wise perception, so we find out the hard way...

Believe me, you need to be smart, I could have done it by pressing mad weight on that leg press OR bending over to pick up a pencil.... Train smart, take care of yourself, and prevention, prevention, prevention....

IRBS
03-17-08, 9:18 am
Testicular Tortion (look it up, not fun)
Subluxation of left solder, multiple times throughout high school and college
Degenerative Disk Disease
2 blown disks (between L3 and L4 and L5 and S1, the disk between L5 and S1 is almost gone now...)
Tendonosis in both elbows
Tendonitis in both forearms
Jone's Fracture in my left foot

I am also hard headed, does that count???
IRBS

McFly
03-17-08, 9:26 am
I've been pretty lucky, torn IT band and whatever now is currently making my arms throb....possibly partial tear to both Brachialis...we'll see

scals
03-17-08, 9:29 am
Torn shoulder ... other than that pretty lucky

Big Wides
03-17-08, 9:45 am
2 Patella Disolcations in Left Knee (Aug. 01, Aug. 02)
Strained Bicep Tendon in Right Arm
usual football injuries (strained this, pulled that)

followed what the doctors/trainers told me to do, they know how to deal with these things better than me.

deanna7272
03-17-08, 10:49 am
Subluxation of left solder, multiple times throughout high school and college
Degenerative Disk Disease
2 blown disks (between L3 and L4 and L5 and S1, the disk between L5 and S1 is almost gone now...)
Tendonosis in both elbows
Tendonitis in both forearms
Jone's Fracture in my left foot

IRBS

Wow.... and you're 25.... We need to put you in a bubble (that's what I tell my injury prone kids at school...)

My hubby had the tortioned testicle at 11 and required surgery.... He doesn't remember much about it, other than the PAIN...

You should get that hard head looked at too... THAT can REALLY get you into trouble...lol

ghost
03-17-08, 10:54 am
um....loss of 2 fingers.
torn miniscus.
partial acl tear

what did i do? went to the gym when i was told not to, and lifted my ass off.

callme47
03-17-08, 11:31 am
i once injured my lower back from dead lifting i just left it alone went real light and streched alot.

DaFr3aK
03-17-08, 11:34 am
torn quad

surgery nd relax came back hard with 1 leg xtension nd now the torn leg is stronger than my other one lmao

jeff00z28
03-17-08, 11:50 am
all of this happened to u guys just from lifting?

IRBS
03-17-08, 12:45 pm
Wow.... and you're 25.... We need to put you in a bubble (that's what I tell my injury prone kids at school...)

My hubby had the tortioned testicle at 11 and required surgery.... He doesn't remember much about it, other than the PAIN...

You should get that hard head looked at too... THAT can REALLY get you into trouble...lol

Yeah, I have been somewhat injury prone, LOL.

And yes, the pain is the one thing you cant forget...I spent some time in the hospital for it, but got around the surgery...thank goodness. I think I was 12 when I went through all that...I went to my dad and said, "Hey Dad, is this normal?" I then showed him my grapefruit sized left-nut, to which he responded, "NO! Get dressed and get in the car, we're going to the doc!" LOL It was definately not pleasant...the funny thing that happened is when I was lying in bed at the hospital I was flipping channels with my Dad and came accross one of those surgery shows and guess what they were showing...the exact surgery I was facing, LOL! Luckily, I didnt have to have it.

Matt Dickerson
03-17-08, 2:15 pm
I have strained my lower back 3 times. Twice when squatting with higher reps and once from deadlifting with higher reps. I was bed ridden for 2 days each time and would use ice and heat pads to help speed up recovery. These back injuries were a result from tight hamstrings that would cause my lower back to round over when in the bottom position of the squat and deadlift. Once I began to improve my flexibility I stopped having back problems.

I tore my right quad when squatting. I couldn't move too well for a couple weeks but forced myself to do some recovery movements, iced and heated regularly, and got massages.

I have torn my ACL completely in two and stretched my MCL. Took me about 8 months to get back to my old strength after having re-constructive surgery. Physical therapy involved stretching, mobility work, resistance training, and using a sonogram to break up scar tissue. I now have less range of motion in the leg and it is difficult to kneel on the leg. I wear knee raps religiously when using max poundages for the squat. The knee sometimes swells up and I have to stop movements that bend the knee for a couple of weeks until the swelling goes away.

WeeMan
03-17-08, 3:57 pm
um....loss of 2 fingers.
torn miniscus.
partial acl tear

what did i do? went to the gym when i was told not to, and lifted my ass off.

you lost two fingers?! how do you kick my ass on cod4 then!? what happend?

deanna7272
03-17-08, 4:09 pm

He's BAD ASS...

Gambit
03-17-08, 4:23 pm
Torn ACL, MCL, and lateral meniscus in my left knee. Luckily, I didn't need surgery. I've got nerve damage in both of my shoulders and elbows and hands; both shoulders have been separated.

I messed up my knee when I used to play baseball. It was torn up, but I was lucky enough to have been taking lifting serious enough that I didn't need to have surgery. I wasn't able to pursue my baseball career, but I can focus now on lifting. Just had to take enough time off.

The nerve damage is just something I've learned to deal with, as well as the separated shoulders. I just have to really focus when I'm doing my lifts, which is better anyway.

fireman9
03-17-08, 4:49 pm
Just curious if anyone has ever had this. About 2 weeks ago I did something to my wrist. Not too sure what led up to it but end result is I can't hold weight in my right had while it is fully supinated. It became inflamed and I had a cortizone shot in my hip (he didn't want to do the wrist right yet) then put on a predisone dose pack. it helped because at the time it hurt to supinate at all and on every hour it got 20% better. Now I have full range of motion it's just weightbearing that seems to give me trouble. I am a massage therapist so I can't lay off it and if I stop working out then my back starts giving me trouble. I just don't do any curls that aren't hammers and try to use different grips while I am training other body parts.

escholar05
03-17-08, 7:48 pm
to the guy that had a testicular tortion, I had a friend with, and seeing the pain he was in, I feel for ya.

Anyways, my list-
Torn ACL, LCL, PCL both left and right knees
broken T-12
torn paroneal (sp?) nerve at left and right knees
osteolysis in the distal end of my clavicle from benching like an idiot.

For the knees I'm just extremely mindful of my form when doing squats, deads, etc. I also can't do walking lunges, they make me feel like my ACLs are gonna snap. The broken vertebrae isn't too bad, I just get weird back pains sometimes when I squat. As for the torn nerve, I ended up having ankle surgery on both legs to fix the effects that had. Luckily I'm young, but I have a bad feeling about arthritis in my near future, haha.

ironindian22
03-17-08, 8:19 pm
man where do i start . . . dislocated knee, torn meniscus, mcl, and partial acl,
broken all 8 fingers, broken foot, torn lat,( one arm is shorter than the other) dislocated wrists, too many concussions to count lol, all this from football.

broke my sternum in 3 places and my back in 2 (c-4 and t-12)

wat did i do about all these?. . .. . rehab rehab rehab and more motha fuckin rehab!!!!
and im only 17 so who fuckin knows how many more injuries i have comin lol

ghost
03-17-08, 8:23 pm

how did i kick your ass at cod4? because im fucking good at that game. :) and you dont need a pinky or ring finger to play cod4.

Chin
03-17-08, 11:49 pm
Partial ACL Tear and MCL tear in my right knee... Partial ACL tear in my left knee...

Led to a Full tear of my ACL and MCL in my right leg... leading to the hacking of 1/3 of my hamstring to fix the problem...

Broken Thumb in my right hand...

Shattered Collarbone, 4 pieces... lost an inch off my left arm due to overlapping of the 2 pieces... Had to deal with the separation of the shoulder also...

Time heals all wounds... and I am back at 100% now...

Chin

Chin
03-17-08, 11:49 pm
how did i kick your ass at cod4? because im fucking good at that game. :) and you dont need a pinky or ring finger to play cod4.

That's just badass...

Chin

ironman_KIMO
03-18-08, 12:59 am
I had a hernia few years back. It sucked so bad. A lot of rest and patience.

BrotherInArms
03-18-08, 10:22 am
My training partner and I have developed the same shoulder injury at the very same time. Clearly, it's something we've done wrong. I'm watching my form as well as his now to make sure I don't aggravate it further and I'd like to find out why it happened.

The pain - for all you doctors out there - feels like a burning of the muscle tissue in the top of my left shoulder where all of the deltoids seems to converge into a 'muscular hole.'
I haven't gotten it checked out yet because I'm definitely in denial.

WeeMan
03-18-08, 4:01 pm

i am TAKIN U DOWN!!! as soon as my xbox gets back from microsoft.....

BigDubbDiesel
03-18-08, 9:27 pm
torn rotator cuff and dislocated shoulder 3 years ago from a boxing incident, out of the gym for 6 months in an isolation sling followed by 8 weeks of physical therapy, no surgery so i was lucky, 3 years later and its 99%, gotta bite the bullet and do what the doc says, no heavy liftfin for 6 months is better than 12 months to recover from shoulder surgery...and i always warm up my rotator cuffs for about 5 mins before working out, be easy and train hard (but safe, to avoid injury) -Dubb

ghost
03-19-08, 10:42 am
i am TAKIN U DOWN!!! as soon as my xbox gets back from microsoft.....

was wondering where you had been....

prowrestler
03-19-08, 1:44 pm
worst was my knee.

i am not sure what happened. strain i believe but never got surgery or anything. i healed it myself. i had to rest it and ice ice it for a week with stretching and all.

it happened last january. my squat was at like 200 pounds for a few reps and now i am going for a 350 tomorow tonight.

i had hurt my delts without warming up on chest day.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARM THE FUCK UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MassMan
03-19-08, 3:32 pm
1) Tore both quads doing a triple dropset of squats back in '07
2) Light ACL tear in left knee
3) Tore achilles tendon in right leg
4) Broken collarbone from a monster tackle back in '07 football season
5) Light tear in groin from '07 wrestling season
6) and most recently, shattered wrists from 400lb bench attempt in 1/15/08

I have been through my fair share of injuries. That;s where Flex and Bengay comes into play. Just rest and recover. Eat lots of good food and get enough rest. Don't try to rush the injury. Lots and lots of ice also helps.

malink
03-19-08, 4:00 pm
yesterday was chest and bi's day and something happen...when i was doing db press the moment I kick my right db and lay flat I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder....today i notice that its really hurts when i do shoulder press with no weight at all at my home and when i stretch it backward...what could it be

Big Wides
03-19-08, 4:21 pm
We dont know, since we are not doctors here.....go to the doc and get it checked out. rest it up, do what he says, them come back to training when your healed up

Enforcer
03-19-08, 4:28 pm
We dont know, since we are not doctors here.....go to the doc and get it checked out. rest it up, do what he says, them come back to training when your healed up

Best advice you can get right there bro.

joe-yamma
03-19-08, 4:29 pm
this may be the best advice i've ever read on the Forvm. +1

sanga
03-19-08, 4:31 pm
Could be a lot of things, I agree get it checked out.

But rest is a must.

ghost
03-19-08, 5:41 pm
Best advice you can get right there bro.

this may be the best advice i've ever read on the Forvm. +1

that right there is the standard answer we give people who are asking for Injury advice.

always remember guys, even if there are medical professionals on here, no one can diagnos a problem over the internet.. your best bet, is if it feels broken or painful, go get films. and see the doctor.

Themostocles
03-20-08, 2:14 am
Detached retina
Broken arm
concussion
dislocated left knee cap and shattered it
left patellar tendon reconstruction
pinched nerves in my neck

WeeMan
03-20-08, 9:24 am
Detached retina

ewwww how did you do that??

Themostocles
03-20-08, 11:39 am
ewwww how did you do that??

Lol, got hit by a car when I was biking. If I could have seen right I would shoved her cell phone up her ass. Its also when the broken arm and concussion came into play. -T

GJN5002
03-23-08, 4:05 pm
tricep tendonitits
cartilidge damage to left knee
shoulder impingment? (diagnosis without MRI)
lower ab strain/tear
all the small random things

rest, live with it, physical therapy, avoiding excercises that cause more pain, enduring the normal pain that cant be avoided. I cant believe how banged up I am at 23 haha.

bovat
03-23-08, 7:19 pm
walk it off

or

put some dirt on it...itll be fine

ralf_snake
03-23-08, 7:20 pm
In b4, Animal Flex is magic!

Left side of my lower back(the muscle above my left butt cheek)
Right wrist

My wrist was healed due to Flex
My back was healed by some rest, maybe Flex took care of it too, or i might get it back in a couple of weeks or months.

TylerC
03-24-08, 4:54 pm
I searched for this and, although not really knowing what to search, came up with nothing. I hate starting new threads because most of the time I'm 80% sure it's been posted before.

Anyways, I have a pain somewhat in between my ribs on the left side, directly under the pec. Whenever I lean backwords or forwards the pain gets worse and I can also feel it when I breath. The pain isn't unbearable at all (i can still function well) but its noticeable. The day after my last leg workout (a week ago today) it was almost too much to handle and I'm hoping I wont screw it up anymore today. My thoughts is that I went to low on either leg presses or squats and somehow my knees hit my ribs and the ribs spread apart and that it just takes time to heal. But any thoughts? Maybe somebody out there knows more about this than i do. So if anybody can provide some insight or help, it'll be appreciated.

Thanks

MassMan
03-24-08, 6:57 pm
I searched for this and, although not really knowing what to search, came up with nothing. I hate starting new threads because most of the time I'm 80% sure it's been posted before.

Anyways, I have a pain somewhat in between my ribs on the left side, directly under the pec. Whenever I lean backwords or forwards the pain gets worse and I can also feel it when I breath. The pain isn't unbearable at all (i can still function well) but its noticeable. The day after my last leg workout (a week ago today) it was almost too much to handle and I'm hoping I wont screw it up anymore today. My thoughts is that I went to low on either leg presses or squats and somehow my knees hit my ribs and the ribs spread apart and that it just takes time to heal. But any thoughts? Maybe somebody out there knows more about this than i do. So if anybody can provide some insight or help, it'll be appreciated.

Thanks

Not to be an ass, but we can't help anyone with an injury over the internet. I strongly advise that you see a medical doctor as anything that inhibits proper movement, or any injury for that matter, should be condulted with a medical practicioner. The only adivise we can give to you otherwise, is RICE!!!!!!!!! ( not the carb source)

Rajati
03-26-08, 11:13 am
So I was doing barbell shoulder presses yesterday and on the last rep of my last set, I felt/heard a series of popping sounds in my upper chest as I pushed the weight from my chest over my head. It didn't really hurt, more like it felt like some went all chiropractor-ish on my chest. I felt a slight pain sensation a few minutes later, but nothing really bothersome. Of course I stopped pressing, but more out of shock than pain.

Now today when I let my arms hang down by my sides, if I hold them down too hard, I feel pain in my collarbone area, really deep in though. Like, if I held some heavy dumbbells by my sides, it'd probably hurt. It's still not very intense of a pain or anything, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows what happened or has had a similar experience.

Only thing I can think of is maybe I use too much range of motion doing shoulder press. I bring the bar down until it touches my chest on each rep.

Thoughts?

mustgetbig
03-26-08, 11:20 am
So I was doing barbell shoulder presses yesterday and on the last rep of my last set, I felt/heard a series of popping sounds in my upper chest as I pushed the weight from my chest over my head. It didn't really hurt, more like it felt like some went all chiropractor-ish on my chest. I felt a slight pain sensation a few minutes later, but nothing really bothersome. Of course I stopped pressing, but more out of shock than pain.

Now today when I let my arms hang down by my sides, if I hold them down too hard, I feel pain in my collarbone area, really deep in though. Like, if I held some heavy dumbbells by my sides, it'd probably hurt. It's still not very intense of a pain or anything, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows what happened or has had a similar experience.

Only thing I can think of is maybe I use too much range of motion doing shoulder press. I bring the bar down until it touches my chest on each rep.

Thoughts?

did u let it bounce off of your collarbone?

scals
03-26-08, 11:27 am
did u let it bounce off of your collarbone?

That's the only thing that I could think of too. Maybe you clipped it when you lowered the weight down?

Rajati
03-26-08, 11:30 am
Nah, I would've felt the hit on my collarbone, wouldn't I? Or have some kinda bruising or something. I didn't notice anything different from my usual sets except of course the popping. It did it when the bar was about in line with my face, as I was pushing the weight up.

xxscaxx
03-26-08, 11:45 am
i dont know about anyone else, but i go to where my arms are bent at a 90 degree angle, or a little past that, pretty much for any exercise with the exception of like BB bench press. i used to go all the way but then screwed my shoulder up, and ever since i started doing it at 90 degrees it hasnt bothered me at all or very little.

so when i do BB shoulder press the bar ends up stopping around the middle of my face, maybe a tad lower. id give that a shot for a while, maybe u just over stretched something, i could see that being a possibility especially if you were using moderate/heavy weight.

mustgetbig
03-26-08, 11:50 am
you should prolly see a doctor to be safe wouldnt want to mget a worse injury in the long run go to the doc

Wicked
03-27-08, 2:57 pm
I have a quick question for you guys. I busted my hand when I hit head on with a mini van and out for 6 weeks"out of work and I can't lift anything over 5lbs". during this time I wanted to do some cardio and drop a couple pounds. now if I lose some mass and power will I gain it back quick when I can lift again via "muscle memory"? I know diet is king but I'm still worried about droping all that hard gained size. Thanks boys

priority
03-27-08, 3:44 pm
yuo will get the mass back once again, as long as you work hard for it!
You will get it back easier than than you got it originally because of the muscle memory aswell as other physiological adaptations that you will still have (e.g mitochondria, myoglobin stores).
You may even bust through your previous level because of the extended rest!
good luck bro and dont let it get you too down!

jer
03-27-08, 4:02 pm
You'll loose a little mass, but you'll be back. Just make sure you let it heal brother. You don't want to rush it and re-break it and have to sit out another six weeks.

aweb
03-27-08, 5:39 pm
after many years of football my left elbow has taken a beating, usually getten hit by helmets. Just this past monday at boxing practice while working catchmits it got tweaked pretty bad, anyone got any advice on recovery tips.

MonTanaMusCle
03-27-08, 6:40 pm
Injuries are a sad part of the game, but the best thing for recovery, is lots of ice, rest,(and rest means no work, not just lowering the weight or doing a light practice it means doing nothing to the elbow) and low doses of ibuprofen. As long as its not a major injury give it a week of rest and you should be back in the game. Good luck brother

Carnut909
03-27-08, 7:36 pm
if you try to push yourself now you might really screw things up, which could leave you out much longer, take things day by day and fully recover and then get back to training, good luck and get better!

newbreed
03-27-08, 8:18 pm
I would say resting and icing would be your best bet. If it bothers you still after a few days, see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

Rock05
03-27-08, 9:33 pm
i've always known how rough squatting can be on your shoudlers and rotator cuffs but i finally pinched a nerve badly. injury has lasted almost a month b/c i reinjured it after resting it a week. point of the thread is wonderign if anyone has used the manta-ray or another idea to alleviate pain. i squat with the bar very low on my traps. i was thinkin higher up and even usin the pad to allow less stress. jus want some opinions fellas. thanks

hallde
03-27-08, 9:40 pm
I broke my hand in football and was out for awhile. I trained my legs hard and did peck deck flyes and other lifts that did not require me to use my broken hand so I did not loose much bodyweight but my main lifts went down. Not to long after the cast came off I put the bodyweight back on and my lifts actually went up.

scals
03-27-08, 9:51 pm
I know a lot of guys hate the pad because they don't feel like they have the bar secured on their back. I use it all the time, so if that alleviates the pain go for it. I would also suggest possibly rocking a sweatshirt while you squat, that might help too.

The Wanderer
03-27-08, 10:22 pm
When I broke my hand a few months ago it was hard. I was out for a total of 3 months. I learned how to do smith machine squats unhooking it with 1 hand. Lunges and hops became regular. Another thing you can work on is your neck, neck bridges are fun and challenging. I have been lifting for about 3 months again and I have regained all that I lost and more. Do not feel discouraged at all.

hallde
03-27-08, 11:00 pm
I have used the manta ray and the pad and I hate them both. I like the feel of the bar on my back. The pad feels like the bar is going to slide down my back and the manta ray just doesn't feel right. But if you are having pain then maybe this will work for you, the manta ray does distribute the weight over a larger area on your shoulders.

GJN5002
03-27-08, 11:04 pm
check out a safety squat bar if you can get your hand son one. Distributes the weigth well and you can grip it in the front rather than behind the neck.

BigAnt
03-27-08, 11:36 pm
i've always known how rough squatting can be on your shoudlers and rotator cuffs but i finally pinched a nerve badly. injury has lasted almost a month b/c i reinjured it after resting it a week. point of the thread is wonderign if anyone has used the manta-ray or another idea to alleviate pain. i squat with the bar very low on my traps. i was thinkin higher up and even usin the pad to allow less stress. jus want some opinions fellas. thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the body is in need of rest--for a short time...does your gym have a power squat machine?

Rock05
03-28-08, 5:41 pm
ya ive heard of safet squat bars n theyre great to use months before a comp to save the shoulders, but unfortunately theyre like 300 bucks or somethin....closest thing we got to squattin is a smith machine but i dont think that will help, or squattin in the leg press machine... guess ill have to deal with it ahwile..jus nerouvs itll come right back once i hit it hard again in about 3-4 weeks thanks bros

XIronAcesX
03-30-08, 2:34 pm
I recently injured my left shoulder; I took at least 2 weeks off hoping it would improve. I went to the gym this morning to work out with light weight to see if I still had pain and I did. how long do you guys think a shoulder injury takes to heal 3 or 4 more weeks?

Fury317
03-30-08, 2:40 pm
Too vague for any of us to tell you. There is a lot going on in the shoulder. Its the most mobile joint in the body. Could be joint or muscular? Best bet is to see a doctor. You did the right thing in taking time off then going light, but if that still aggravated it, you gotta see that MD or you can do some major damage.

XIronAcesX
03-30-08, 2:46 pm
i believe its the muscle because i can move my shoulder just fine to the side, but if i move it outward it burns like hell. I could be wrong, but your right i should go see an md.

born0withno0soul
03-30-08, 2:52 pm
you need to see the doc. as someone said its the most flexible joint in the body. if you sit around letting heal on its own its possible it may not heal back right

sanga
03-30-08, 3:05 pm
Agreed, go see your doctor before working out your next plan of action, in the meantime train the hell out of your legs.

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 3:08 pm
i agree with pretty much everyone, ive had 2 shoulder operations in 6 months.. see a doc and dont do anything til he tells you whats up

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:02 pm
I have a quick question for you guys. I busted my hand when I hit head on with a mini van and out for 6 weeks"out of work and I can't lift anything over 5lbs". during this time I wanted to do some cardio and drop a couple pounds. now if I lose some mass and power will I gain it back quick when I can lift again via "muscle memory"? I know diet is king but I'm still worried about droping all that hard gained size. Thanks boys

yeah, you'll be able to regain streght by training hard and eating big. Ain't muscle memory awsome?

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:08 pm
ive had two shoulder surgeries in 5 months, tore tendons in both shoulders, doc said my muscles held em together.. im 2 weeks out of the second and it sucks, im sore from my traps to my upper bi's, and into my upper chest.. its a relatvely short recovery compared to some operations but it feels liek forever since ive done anything...

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:14 pm
ive had two shoulder surgeries in 5 months, tore tendons in both shoulders, doc said my muscles held em together.. im 2 weeks out of the second and it sucks, im sore from my traps to my upper bi's, and into my upper chest.. its a relatvely short recovery compared to some operations but it feels liek forever since ive done anything...

2 surgeries in 5 months is rough. Hang tight.

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:18 pm
2 surgeries in 5 months is rough. Hang tight.

yeah man im surviving, hittin wheels pretty damn hard, lg curls, presses, smith machine squats.. really workin on some mass best i can

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:21 pm
yeah man im surviving, hittin wheels pretty damn hard, lg curls, presses, smith machine squats.. really workin on some mass best i can

We're on the same boat. I have been training legs only since mid janurary, and let me tell you, my wheels are hard as rock and have some good separation goin!!!

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:24 pm
We're on the same boat. I have been training legs only since mid janurary, and let me tell you, my wheels are hard as rock and have some good separation goin!!!

ahh yeah im a bit on the thicker side so i dont quite have the def. i want but its gettin better, you can tell a bit more when i flex.. But hey ya cant get to a 600lb squat and not go hard right?

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:33 pm
ahh yeah im a bit on the thicker side so i dont quite have the def. i want but its gettin better, you can tell a bit more when i flex.. But hey ya cant get to a 600lb squat and not go hard right?

you squat 600 raw? that shit's impressive...

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:35 pm
you squat 600 raw? that shit's impressive...

oh no not yet man... thats the goal by october... its in the 500-510 range.. sorry to confuse ya bro...

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:39 pm
oh no not yet man... thats the goal by october... its in the 500-510 range.. sorry to confuse ya bro...

500lb is still impressive. You'll get 600 no prob. Just work hard and it'll come.

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:43 pm
500lb is still impressive. You'll get 600 no prob. Just work hard and it'll come.

its what im doin man, 800 by the time i graduate college in 2.5 years...

MassMan
03-30-08, 9:44 pm
its what im doin man, 800 by the time i graduate college in 2.5 years...

Raw or suited? Either way, that's a high fucking number. Do you compete?

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 9:56 pm
Raw or suited? Either way, that's a high fucking number. Do you compete?

i plan on getting it raw... i want to compete but since the shoulders are healing i cant even do a normal squat right now, just smith machine... i want to toward the end of the year

Joey D
03-30-08, 10:10 pm
Try the Trap bar for shoulder pressing. It awesome! The way that the grip is set, your grip is palm to palm,your shoulder's do not get a chance to Hyper extend as much.

Joey D

intoodeep25
03-30-08, 10:25 pm
man yall are lucky you can even hit wheels..ive been out since january from everything, its been one of the worst experiences mentally and physically, i feel like such a bum

zanderfever
03-30-08, 10:32 pm
Minor herniated disc. Luckily, the only thing it prevents me from doing is squats. I can still deadlift. Makes no sense to me, but i'm happy to deadlift. Months of PT, no squats for a year and a half. I can do light front squats, but its not the same.

zanderfever
03-30-08, 10:36 pm
man yall are lucky you can even hit wheels..ive been out since january from everything, its been one of the worst experiences mentally and physically, i feel like such a bum

Whats the injury?

mark
03-31-08, 2:33 am
About 3.5 years ago, i partially tore my right miniscus, ACL, and a partial rupture of my patella tendon as well. Spent 3 months in a knee immobilizer, then 3 months doing nothing but stretching exercises, massage work and ultra sound. Then i spent 3 months doing TKEs and body weight exercises. Final 3 months i added light weight (no more than 95lbs) high rep exercises for all body parts. All rehab was self guided. Only thing Physical Therapy did was the ultra sound on my legs. Went to my own massuse too.

SQUAT or DIE!
03-31-08, 3:42 am

bro i thought i had it bad, thats gotta be horrible to nopt be abel to train at all... hoep you heal up quick

mark
03-31-08, 4:13 am
man yall are lucky you can even hit wheels..ive been out since january from everything, its been one of the worst experiences mentally and physically, i feel like such a bum been there, done that bro. I know your pain. No worries though, you'll come back bigger and stronger.

Hindustani
03-31-08, 9:26 am
omg , so many injuries , i am jus 3 months into liftin

but i guess we must have a thread on how to avoid any type of lifting injuries

so that the replies in this topic become less, and me and all the new people dont get injured

what say?

jeff00z28
03-31-08, 9:39 am
Yeah, I have been somewhat injury prone, LOL.

And yes, the pain is the one thing you cant forget...I spent some time in the hospital for it, but got around the surgery...thank goodness. I think I was 12 when I went through all that...I went to my dad and said, "Hey Dad, is this normal?" I then showed him my grapefruit sized left-nut, to which he responded, "NO! Get dressed and get in the car, we're going to the doc!" LOL It was definately not pleasant...the funny thing that happened is when I was lying in bed at the hospital I was flipping channels with my Dad and came accross one of those surgery shows and guess what they were showing...the exact surgery I was facing, LOL! Luckily, I didnt have to have it.

when i was 5 i had a tick bite in that region so i partially understand

MassMan
03-31-08, 5:11 pm
Whats the injury?

x2

HardGainer369
03-31-08, 7:15 pm
Last year i woke up one morning...my left testicle was killing me...but i was at a golf academy so i still went to class and practiced, about the 5th hole i was in severe pain so i went to the doctors and i found out it was testicular torsion...i don know if you guys know it, but its when a blood vessel in your scrotum wraps around it and cuts off the blood or something like that...very painful lol so anyways , they said it was from lifting weights with a full bladder...and i did deads the night before, so now i make sure i don't have anything in there when im working out haha. so i just had to take some medication and stop lifting for a week and a half.

MassMan
03-31-08, 7:21 pm
Last year i woke up one morning...my left testicle was killing me...but i was at a golf academy so i still went to class and practiced, about the 5th hole i was in severe pain so i went to the doctors and i found out it was testicular torsion...i don know if you guys know it, but its when a blood vessel in your scrotum wraps around it and cuts off the blood or something like that...very painful lol so anyways , they said it was from lifting weights with a full bladder...and i did deads the night before, so now i make sure i don't have anything in there when im working out haha. so i just had to take some medication and stop lifting for a week and a half.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!No more with testicular torsions, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HardGainer369
03-31-08, 7:25 pm
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!No more with testicular torsions, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahha

have you gone through that shit aswell?

MassMan
03-31-08, 7:26 pm
hahahha

have you gone through that shit aswell?

No, but I saw a picture of a guy who was getting surgery because he had a double torsion. This was him in surgery and it looked disgusting. I went to the bathroom and puked for about 15 minutes from looking at such a painful injury..... A Double Torsion!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HardGainer369
03-31-08, 7:30 pm
Hahahhaha

yeah the doc was like it will heal itself but if it doesnt we will have to remove it through surgery and then i went to the bathroom to throw up haha.

zanderfever
03-31-08, 9:56 pm
What
The
Fuck.

God, I know I have never been very spiritual, but I will bow down to you forever, just please, PLEASE, leave my testicles alone...

BigTimCoats
04-01-08, 5:15 pm
Hello my name is tim and ive been lifting for a couple years now.. ive had a few minor hurts and aches but nothiing like the one i have right now.. my elbow is killing me whenever i try to do any press or tricep exercize.. my right elbow.. it doesnt hurt to straighten it unless there is resistance then i kills in pain.. does anyoone have any tips or advice for me on how i could take care of it?? its been bugging me for over a month now

never_2_big
04-01-08, 5:21 pm
whats up bro, youre not really gonna like my answer but i'll give it to you anyway... in my opinion i think you should head to the doctor and give your elbow some rest.

youre 15, a few weeks or even a month off are not gonna destroy you, what will though is the stubborness that will make any injury worse, this sport is not a sprint, if youre looking for longevity you have to listen to your body and it sounds like yours is screaming.

for short term though and if you still wanna lift, heat rubs can help and a real thorough warmup will also dull the pain maybe... but id still prefer you seek medical advice

BigTimCoats
04-01-08, 5:27 pm
whats up bro, youre not really gonna like my answer but i'll give it to you anyway... in my opinion i think you should head to the doctor and give your elbow some rest.

youre 15, a few weeks or even a month off are not gonna destroy you, what will though is the stubborness that will make any injury worse, this sport is not a sprint, if youre looking for longevity you have to listen to your body and it sounds like yours is screaming.

for short term though and if you still wanna lift, heat rubs can help and a real thorough warmup will also dull the pain maybe... but id still prefer you seek medical advice

thanks for the advice!!! ya i will schedule an appointment with my chiropractor to see if it needs to be taken care of or not.. but in the mean time ill try resting it up..

MonTanaMusCle
04-01-08, 5:29 pm
It sounds like tendonitis to me. Did the pain start with a sharp pain or did it come on over time. Stop doing any lifts involving your elbow give it a rest, plenty of ice, ibuprofen. if it doesnt clear up in 2wks go to a doctor. Hope this helps injuries suck.

fawaz
05-19-10, 4:18 pm
i just wanted to post this thread to hear more about what kinds of injuries you have all suffered in the pass and what you have done to help heal up those injuries and prevention for the future.also what you did during those depressing times when you couldnt train.
i would apprecieate some advise aswell.

BigAnt
05-19-10, 4:26 pm
i just wanted to post this thread to hear more about what kinds of injuries you have all suffered in the pass and what you have done to help heal up those injuries and prevention for the future.also what you did during those depressing times when you couldnt train.
i would apprecieate some advise aswell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full thickenss tear rotator cuff, torn ditsal head of bicep, tendonitis of the knees-elbows, sprained adductor. Doctor's visit with films are a must, than rest. Go back training in a pain free zone use heat and ice, gradually it will heal, takes time,! We gotta remain positive! Right now I am training with a partial torn rotator cuff, using pain free movements, Animal Flex, ice and heat, it is healing S L O W L Y...Some movements I cannot do, but in time they will return.

You can only do what YOU can do!

Geronamezzy
05-19-10, 7:11 pm
Crushed my finger spotting on the leg press about 8 months ago, 900+lbs right on the tip of my middle finger. Talk about nasty, put a hot dog in the microwave and let it explode...that was my finger for yah. Went to the E.R. stitched it back together and gave me a splint. I trained through it, not heavy just nice and ez. Healed great

Cellardweller
05-19-10, 9:13 pm
I did something or other to my shoulder doing DB presses once. I had to take 6 weeks off. I never got it checked out but it's fine now. I also have busitis in my elbow from skull crushers. As much as I love skullcrusher, it's an absolute no go for me. For about 3-4 days following tri's day my elbow looks like I've got an egg sticking out of it.

I once saw a guy at the gym doing chest flys and when he banged the dumbells together over his head, the weld broke on one and at least 2 10lb plates hit him in the face.

Bard of Rage
05-20-10, 3:22 pm
I'd gotten a hemorrhoid last year and ended up taking almost a month off over the holidays. Started training again in January and hurt my shoudler, I still don't know what happened to it and the military doctors told me it's probably not a rotator cuff issue. For now I just make sure I warm up properly when I do chest or shoulders and keep taking Flex. A nice epsom bath every once in a while isn't too bad either, though I still feel a bone pop/lurch in my shoulder when I move it.

charlievanriper
05-20-10, 3:53 pm
I have had a partially torn bicep, fractured back, broken collarbone, fractured wrist, currentl have a screwed up middle finger from not resting long enough and allowing it to heal properly. Fractured ankle ( when younger) partially seperated shoulder. All these except ankle and Collarbone and the fractured Back I studied did the research and rehabed them myself. The Back I took care of the secondary Rehab myself, and the seperated shoulder except for the MRI I took care of that. The Collarbone I wrapped it in an Ace bandage ( with help) and 3 days later went to the doctor and He said I did a standout job that the break was healing smoothly and that was that!

Maccabee
05-20-10, 5:30 pm
After deadlifting heavy I got bruising on my right bicep.

Last week after squating heavy I got bruising on my left leg lower quad area.

Crushed my index finger once and it was popping out the side. Spent 3 hours in a hospital for a moron doctor to tell me to go see another doctor.

After rack pulls once my lower back got hit hard. I was on the floor for half an hour. It took another 1 hr to get home and I live only 15 mins away from the gym.

I messed up my left shoulder once. I did not get a full range of motion until after 3-4 weeks. I literally was not able to lift my arm the first two weeks.

These injuries are all small compared to what others had. Fricken torn quads and hernias. I have taken it upon myself to warm up very well.

This is all apart of the game.

To heal it. I just trained around the injury area and sometimes I trained through it like an idiot. Lots of ice and rest. Thats it.

Deathride
05-20-10, 8:48 pm
IRBS

Dude......i think they can be the same thing if you aren't careful? The first one is not fun :-P

For me, back ache and shoulder twinges but nothing serious. Hey, I'm nowhere near an animal but I like to think I've been lucky so far! My balls are intact that's for certain.....

fawaz
05-21-10, 10:16 am
sprained lower back from heavy sqauts.
one time i was training real dealts and i did bent over laterlas and the dumbel slammed into my middle finger causing it to bleed internaly it turned blue to black within a few weeks and i peeled my own nail off and it grew back thats minor but my back injury is worse and reqiures physiotherapy.

Razor
05-21-10, 1:30 pm
Strained my whole upper back going super heavy on seated machine rows after barely warming up. It was so bad i was out for 3 wks straight. Learned my lesson though.

etank
05-21-10, 11:21 pm
Dual patella dislocations
Left knee surgery
Oral/Maxilla surgery......big time brakes on training. Couldn't break a sweat for about 8 weeks because it would elevate blood pressure. Oh, and only being able to eat out of a syringe for 2 weeks didn't make bulking any easier... = )

All in all my injuries have been a good time for research, reflection, and planning. You can't stop accidents from happening, use the time you have to come back stronger and smarter.

Bard of Rage
12-08-10, 2:55 pm
My foot was hurting last month and then got a hell of a lot worse when I tried to run. I got it checked it out on base and was told it's a bunion, asked for a second opinion and got to see a doctor off my base. Turns out I had a stress fracture on my left foot for 2-3 weeks. Combine the inability to do any movement requiring me to put weight on my foot with my currently working 7 days a weeks and I'm a little screwed for working out. To top it off that initial major pain was during some minor running at physical therapy for my back which has been giving me pain when I run. Starting to think my body is trying to kill it self at age 25.

fawaz
12-08-10, 3:56 pm
[QUOTE=dalthorn;1048018]My foot was hurting last month and then got a hell of a lot worse when I tried to run. I got it checked it out on base and was told it's a bunion, asked for a second opinion and got to see a doctor off my base. Turns out I had a stress fracture on my left foot for 2-3 weeks. Combine the inability to do any movement requiring me to put weight on my foot with my currently working 7 days a weeks and I'm a little screwed for working out. To top it off that initial major pain was during some minor running at physical therapy for my back which has been giving me pain when I run. Starting to think my body is trying to kill it self at age 25.[/QUOTE

everyone involved in fitness such as running,bodybuilding and all sorts of sports gets injured inevitably and you must be patient its hell i know trust me i will never forget the pain of sorrow i had i dont even like to think and talk about it but it will pass and you will get back on track sooner rather than later if you take treatment sereously.

Bard of Rage
12-08-10, 4:10 pm
Very true, I'm just going to take the time off durign the holidays and rest. Might see if my foot's healed enough that the doctor will let me work out as long as I keep weight off it.

BarbellManiac
12-08-10, 4:54 pm
Tendonitis in elbows, heals easily with ice, but remains in the elbow. Makes skullcrushers hard, but as long as you get some blood in the tricep tendon with thorough warmup, you're good.

fawaz
12-08-10, 5:10 pm
Tendonitis in elbows, heals easily with ice, but remains in the elbow. Makes skullcrushers hard, but as long as you get some blood in the tricep tendon with thorough warmup, you're good.

yeah true i know what u mean

fawaz
12-08-10, 5:11 pm
Very true, I'm just going to take the time off durign the holidays and rest. Might see if my foot's healed enough that the doctor will let me work out as long as I keep weight off it.

good one have a merry christmas then

Machine
12-08-10, 8:31 pm
Injuries are not fun and can be really depressing. I always try to keep my diet clean for obvious reasons, but try to remember that depression and sadness can quickly become indulgent; and people, whether they make $200,000 a year and have the world by the balls...or if they are standing on the unemployment line, people still need to be reminded of good they have it, and how much worse things can get.

Try to keep things in perspective and remember that this too shall pass.

Good luck everyone!

MACHINE

Puke
12-11-10, 1:20 am
herniated disc- rest, ice , nsaids, then light heavy ab work, proper form, proper rest

torn pec- rest ice nsaids started light worked my way back

blown rotator-still working on it. any advice?

torn callouses

bleeding eardrums

life of a powerlifter

fawaz
12-11-10, 5:29 am
herniated disc- rest, ice , nsaids, then light heavy ab work, proper form, proper rest

torn callouses

bleeding eardrums

life of a powerlifter

so how long did it take for you to get back to doing deads and sqauts after that hernaited disk?

Machine
12-11-10, 9:41 pm

torn callouses

bleeding eardrums

life of a powerlifter

Now this makes me feel more normal...that is why I love this place...thank you and keep kicking fucking ass!

MACHINE

BigChrisF
12-11-10, 9:57 pm

Good luck everyone!

MACHINE

Great advice for kidney stones.

Maccabee
12-12-10, 1:12 am
Once I was doing heavy rack pulls. I was maxing out and strained my lower back. I got the rep, but afterwards I hit the floor.

It took me about twice as long to walk home. Every few steps I had to stop walking because it was to much pressure and pain in my back.

Eventually I got home and I couldnt walk normally for 2 weeks. Took another few weeks to recover. I did my own rehab and I came back stronger.

AWARD
12-12-10, 7:56 pm
Used to do heavy overhead dumbell extensions + skull crushers until my elbow started having this sharp pain.. continued thru most pushing movements so I took out skull crushers + db extensions for about 6 months and bought an elbow sleeve. Started to do really light rope pushdowns before all pushing movements to warm elbows up. Almost 100% better, and I just started to introduce skulls back.. fuck I missed them. Hah

billmd1334
12-13-10, 8:19 am
I broke my wrist back in August and I still cannot workout, it was removed from the cast about 3 weeks ago and I still don't have full ROM to be able to do anything safely in the gym. I didn't do cardio or anything and my body is currently paying for it... I am going to get in and work on some cardio now, I'm hoping to be back in the gym working out in a few more weeks. It's frustrating, but it's better than forcing myself and being out even longer.

G Diesel
12-13-10, 1:03 pm
Injuries are not fun and can be really depressing. I always try to keep my diet clean for obvious reasons, but try to remember that depression and sadness can quickly become indulgent; and people, whether they make $200,000 a year and have the world by the balls...or if they are standing on the unemployment line, people still need to be reminded of good they have it, and how much worse things can get.

Good luck everyone!

MACHINE

That is a great fucking post... Thanks for the perspective, Machine.

Peace, G

WinnipegMuscle
12-13-10, 1:50 pm
Cant say ive had any major injuries, a few strains here and there. DOMS that last a hell of a lot longer then usual. As much as I love to lift I still have the live to fight another day mentality. If I have to rest it,ice an injury...anything. I will do so, much rather sit a week out to get it right then push it and make that 1 week turn into 1 month and so on.

GSant434
12-13-10, 2:30 pm
Strained muscles, pulls, sprains, a broken hand, a sub dermal hematoma or two, and mind fogging concussion. Only two of which I'd like to note.

My right ankle in particular has little to no tension left in it from a ridiculous sprain at the end of my senior year of high school. I can bounce around on the outside of it like a trampoline. Just ice and rest to let that heal however it did. I suppose the silver lining is that it hasn't sprained since so I can't be too mad

Worst being the torn up knee that cost me my last year of college rugby. Like Machine said you can choose to stay wallowing in your own self-pity when hurt or move forward with the cards you've been delt. I worked my ass off to come back from that injury after surgery+rehab and I was rewarded by being named to The First 15 All NJ in April at the State Tournament a total of 7 months post op, something the Orthopedics at UPenn told me was unrealistic at the onset. Your injury can only keep you down for as long as you let it. For me I'd trade that knee surgery over again and again than have been one of our soldiers who lost everything below the knee to an IED.

That old addage I believe rings true, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". While you may have been physically weakened by your injuries, you will gain new strength in perseverance and the will to adapt and overcome, both of which will serve you well going forward.

Cellardweller
12-13-10, 5:29 pm
a sub dermal hematoma or two, and mind fogging concussion.

From working out?!!

GSant434
12-13-10, 6:08 pm
From working out?!!

Yeah in undergrad, went way to heavy on leg press thinking I was a big shot and made the mistake of not breathing on the way up on one of my last reps. Popped a blood vessel in the back of my head/neck as I was putting the safety back in. Felt completely foggy as I was asked by one of the gym workers if I was done my set. Had some interesting bruising on my neck afterward. I had one other with a concussion when I got a nasty impact playing rugby my junior year, got sandwiched with a high tackle and low tackle at the same time. Quad had the hematoma and my leg pumped up tighter than it's ever been in my life, I could barely bend my knee at first. The concussion wasn't too bad thankfully it was towards the end of the spring season and I had the summer to recover. Two injuries I never want to experience again.

Cellardweller
12-13-10, 6:18 pm
Gotta breath through it. I thought you were gonna say you got bashed in the head with a bar or something.

I broke my hand at football practice with 2 weeks left of my senior year. Sounds cool to say you broke your hand playing football, but all I did was trip on some guys leg after a tackle and landed on my hand wrong. Dispite the pain I went in for the next play and just finished breaking 2 bones in half. We all do stupid stuff.

GSant434
12-13-10, 6:49 pm
Gotta breath through it. I thought you were gonna say you got bashed in the head with a bar or something.

I broke my hand at football practice with 2 weeks left of my senior year. Sounds cool to say you broke your hand playing football, but all I did was trip on some guys leg after a tackle and landed on my hand wrong. Dispite the pain I went in for the next play and just finished breaking 2 bones in half. We all do stupid stuff.

And were it not for the doing of stupid stuff we would have a much steeper learning curve on our path to success.

Pigskinmuscle
12-17-10, 2:33 am
*broken wrists, both wrists
*Left MCL sprain
*Blown out right ankle
*tears to every ligament in right ankle, including Achilles tendon
*AC Joint sprain
*numerous stingers to shoulder/neck
*slight pinched nerve to neck
*numerous overuse injuries to elbow. tricep, and wrists

how did i get all these injuries? football and continuing to playing football when I had minor injuries, which got worse..... what did i do for all these injuries? well.....

the wrists, I was in a brace because the breaks werent that severe.. more like fractures, but I had and have ligament damage in my left wrist... cant do much but wear wraps/tape/brace... lots of ice when it starts to flare up..the MCL sprain, It was my junior year of football and it was the 2nd game.. nose guard flew helmet first into my knee... miracle that I didnt tear anything, but I actually played the whole game and the entire season.... it kind of went away on its own, but it was very painful for a bit. The ankle, took a helmet full speed while I was in midst of spraining it in a ditch my senior year of football.. cost me the season and my D IAA interests, I actually had a severe injury that I didnt get any medical attention for because I couldnt afford it... I know that there were tears because I could feel the ligs catching whenever I moved my ankle in every direction.. Achilles tendon suffered a minor rupture... I used to put my foot in a bucket of ice for upwards of 8 hours a day, on and off, of course... in class, at home, during practice, and lots of ibuprofen and fish oil.. stingers, just rest and strengthening the neck.. mine were results of a piece of shit going full speed in a half speed tacking drill... practice all american decided to earhole me after a 10yd full sprint.. -__- and the shoulder/neck went numb.. same thing for the pinched nerve...

bottom line is you need to rest and apply ice/heat to the injury.. diet becomes important because your injury will likely prevent you from being 100% active.. do what you can to allow bloodflow throughout the entire body and the injured parts as well... obviously dont do squats if you had surgery for a torn ACL, but you get the picture... sorry for the novel post, but injuries are something that I have experience in.. its mind over matter.. if you dont mind, it dont matter.... be 100% confident that your injuries are healed when its go time... dont think too much.. its all about how you react and respond to the injury that makes the difference.

eddieanton
12-17-10, 12:39 pm
I have had several injuries in Taekwondo training and competition. I have in my right knee ACL surgery, knee kick left knee, left, right wrist broken, left collarbone broken. For that I have concern with an Orthopaedic to get the better and effective surgery.

shizz702
12-17-10, 9:05 pm
I had some very nasty inflammation in my right anterior delt, and bench pressing and some curl variations would aggravate it. Any kind of flat or incline barbell bench at the time was out.

So I took some time off and for a long while eliminated flat benching and the curl movmements that aggravated it, and switched to dumbbells and weighted dips for my pressing movments.

I also would do shoulder dislocations with a rolled up towel once a day, and foam rolled on non workout days.

As of now it's as if I never had the injury and I can flat bench and do curls with no issues at all.

Rippetoe has a good quote on injuries: "There are those that you can train through, and those that you have to train around."

On this occasion I trained around it, eliminating what caused the pain, and continuing what didn't.

Puke
12-18-10, 2:41 am
so how long did it take for you to get back to doing deads and sqauts after that hernaited disk?

It took a year till I was legit and pain free. Pain meds, chiros, ice, and heavy dose of restrengthening my core with weighted exercises combined with weighedt hyperextensions. I Have squatted over 600 raw since then and pulled 6. If I would trained abs heavy and had good form I would haver never blown it out. I was pushing too hard too fast, and not listening to my body. One way or another you are going to rest.

Machine
12-18-10, 4:12 pm
Leg Training the day after minor heart surgery....

I fucking said it...

Squats...
Leg Presses...
Barbell Hack Squats...
Ham Tractor...
Leg Extensions...
Pwer Top Squats....

And on and on and on...I am unstoppable, I cannot be shaken...I know no fear...and I am fucking coming for you...right in your rear view mirror...I hope you feel my fucking breath on the back of your neck while your squatting...and I hope it drives you to push past anything you ever dreamed of...

Full leg training session 16 hours after minor heart surgery.

You can do anything...

MACHINE

Reacher34
12-18-10, 4:15 pm

I fucking said it...

Squats...
Leg Presses...
Barbell Hack Squats...
Ham Tractor...
Leg Extensions...
Pwer Top Squats....

And on and on and on...I am unstoppable, I cannot be shaken...I know no fear...and I am fucking coming for you...right in your rear view mirror...I hope you feel my fucking breath on the back of your neck while your squatting...and I hope it drives you to push past anything you ever dreamed of...

You can do anything...

MACHINE

And still kickin ass. This shit is better than any caffeine pill, stimulant, nitric oxide supp they got out there.

BarbellManiac
12-18-10, 5:47 pm
Machine, you are the most craziest, most hardcore iron bastard I have ever seen. Beyond imaginable, you defy the laws of human body and you defy the laws of the mind. Hats off brother!

fawaz
12-22-10, 5:36 am

I fucking said it...

Squats...
Leg Presses...
Barbell Hack Squats...
Ham Tractor...
Leg Extensions...
Pwer Top Squats....

You can do anything...

MACHINE

truely inspiring.people like you machine keep bodybuilding hardcore.

Machine
12-22-10, 1:17 pm
You fellas inspire me to keep coming back...every time I here a grim prognosis...I think of you guys and tell the doctor to get the fuck out of my room...I thank you all more than words can say.

MACHINE

fawaz
12-22-10, 3:23 pm
You fellas inspire me to keep coming back...every time I here a grim prognosis...I think of you guys and tell the doctor to get the fuck out of my room...I thank you all more than words can say.

MACHINE

and for that machine its all out war in the gym tomorow YEAH!!!.
we are with you until the final breath.until theres nothing left.