PDA

View Full Version : My Chimera

Gambit
02-01-07, 8:57 pm
I risk everything on a daily basis to come out on top and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's why I call myself Gambit. I'm a college student with a lot of classes, a steady girlfriend (who doesn't totally understand the Animal in me, though she's starting to), a serious job, and I'm a heavily-active member in my Fraternity. Can I do all of this and still live the bodybuilding lifestyle? Fuck yes. And it's what seperates me from everyone else on this campus.

Frat Boys are alcoholics. And that's fine by me, because I'm not a Frat Boy. I am a member of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, but I am no Frat Boy. Sure, I'm the only clean liver in the Fraternity house. Sure, I'm the only one downing 6 meals a day and working out 5 days a week. Looking back, I might not have joined if I had realized that the values that the Fraternity were built upon have taken a backseat to constant alcohol abuse. I got no problem with college kids drinking if that's what they want to do, but it shouldn't be what we as a Fraternity are known for. Grr, sorry guys. But we're better than that.

Everyone gives me a look like they know me when they see me wear my Fraternity letters...like they know I'm an alcoholic and probably drunk, even if it's the middle of the afternoon. Little do they know that I walk a higher path.
I'm not about the alcohol, I'm about the iron. I'm about pounding myself into a mess of sinew and flesh every workout and then limping through the next day until my next workout. I'm about myself. Fuck those people that stereotype me as a Frat Boy, cause they couldn't be more wrong.

more thoughts later, bros, this has just been weighing down on me.

Madcat
02-01-07, 9:07 pm
Well bro let me just start out by saying I was in the same shoes less than a yr ago. I was a 3 yr member of my fraternity, as well as President for 2 yrs along with President of Greek Council, and Vice President of the student body. I went to a small school for about 1800 and everyone knew everyone. I had a steady GF for 2 yrs, and lived in my frat. house for all 3 yrs of my term.
Yes we were totally stereotyped as drunks and alcoholics, BUT the frat. life is what you make it. I took over 3 months off from drinking my sophmore year after moving into the frat. and gainging 15lbs from drinking a case of beer and liquor everyday just because I could. I dropped back to my normal weight and started hittin the weights hardcore. Thats when I found this place.
After that, I began lifting 5 days a week and cardio atleast 4. I ate tuna, chicken, and beef for 4 meals of the day and had atleast 1 protein shake. The funny thing was when people would look at my plate of food and be like no mashed potatos and gravy? No mac n cheese? And Id just look back and say nah, that stuff just doesnt do it anymore.....
Then my Sr. yr. came around and I got injured and had to move out my last semester of college. I gained 20 lbs due to not being able to walk and on bed rest, but now Im back at it and dropped the 20 and put it back on in muscle.
I wanna give you props for truly staying true to the Animal lifestyle and tell you that you can do it. Im pulling for you and you have my total support.
Remember the Fraternity will give you alot but this lifestyle will give you more.

Gambit
02-02-07, 12:59 am
I wanna give you props for truly staying true to the Animal lifestyle and tell you that you can do it. Im pulling for you and you have my total support.
Remember the Fraternity will give you alot but this lifestyle will give you more.

That means a lot, bro. I really appreciate knowing that somebody out there knows what I'm talking about. There's a lot of shit going on between the fraternities on campus, and it's weighing down on us younger guys. The thing is, and I brought this up today, and it's the same in the weight room: "We control the future. It's in our hands, so why are we going through the same motions as the ones that didn't get anything done?"

I'd rather be naive and say that everything can work and we can all work together than say, fuck it, I quit.

Gambit
02-02-07, 11:11 pm
To me, tattoos are one of the most symbolic and meaningful things to a person, or at least they should be. Sometimes you'll see this dude with tattoos all over his body that he doesn't care about or have a meaning for. That bothers me. A lot.

I got two tattoos: A star on my right shoulder and a shamrock with the word "Overcome" near it on my wrist. They are extremely symbolic and sacred to me. The star's five points stand for love, honor, family, self-confidence, and dedication. Some heavy shit, but it's what I gotta remember. It keeps me grounded in this crazy world. The shamrock reminds me of the past and where I come from. Overcome? Shit, I got that before I ever saw Machine's tattoo and I started laughing out loud when I saw his. My explanation? Just what Wrath said in the Journey, "Though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you."

Brothers, there's one reason why every one of us is here today...we've overcome...

D-Rock
02-03-07, 1:55 pm
Tattoos on other people shouldn't bother you, cuz you don't know what those seemingly meaningless tats might mean to that dude. Just like that star just might be something a highly tatted up dude looks and thinks is just some corny tat. Let your tats mean to you what they mean, and vice-versa. Keep lifting and not letting those other stereo-types bother you brother, just don't stereo-type others along the way.

DUB
02-03-07, 6:55 pm
I couldnt agree with you more bro. im currently pledging Delta Sigma Phi, and let me tell you something. The whole hosue is known for its weightlifitng. Half the brothers control the weight room from 4 till 8pm, guiding and helping others looking to follow the same lifestyle. While some brothers tend to drink excessively, I jsut have a few beers on our main party night, saturday, as my cheat meal. Thats right, i dont eat what ive been craving, instead i get some stress releif by just workign the bar and having a good time. People wonder why im not doing keg stands or playing ruit, well its cause i know i have to get my ass out of bed the next day and get to the gym.

Gambit
02-03-07, 10:21 pm
Tattoos on other people shouldn't bother you, cuz you don't know what those seemingly meaningless tats might mean to that dude. Just like that star just might be something a highly tatted up dude looks and thinks is just some corny tat. Let your tats mean to you what they mean, and vice-versa. Keep lifting and not letting those other stereo-types bother you brother, just don't stereo-type others along the way.

Nah, bro, I didn't mean for it to come across like I hate people with lots of tats. I just don't like tats that don't mean anything to the person. Like this buddy of mine, great guy, tons of tats. Some of them mean a lot of important shit to him, but some of them he got because "They just look cool, dude." That's the shit that bothers me.

Gambit
02-05-07, 11:35 pm
People don't get the Animal Gear. People think that they know everything. I love it. I love knowing that they know some, but not as much as they think. That's life.

Somebody walked up to me and wondered why I had this huge baggy hoodie on today as I warmed up in the squat rack, during the middle of my set, mind you! So I racked my weight and told him, "I bought it this way." He looked at me kinda funny. "Cause I plan on growing into this motherfucker..." And I just stared at him. He got scared and walked away.

I started squatting again. And it felt even nicer than ever.

Gambit
02-28-07, 9:22 pm
Chimera means “an imaginary monster made up of grotesquely disparate parts. In mythology, this was represented as a fire-breathing she-monster, with the lion’s head, goat’s body, and a serpent’s tail.”

What does this have to do with me? I am one and I am many. I am Animal. I’m an amalgamation of what I’ve been through and who I was born. I know what I want to become. I know what it’s going to take to get there. But the fucked up thing is, I don’t know what it’s going to take there. I’ve got a lifetime full of twists and turns ahead of me, and that’s going to be a bitch to deal with. But that’s okay. People say, “It’s the journey, it’s the destination.” I truly believe that. And I’m ready to give everything up if it puts me one step closer to the truth.

If I die tomorrow, would I be able to look back and say that while I was here, I did everything I could? Right now, I’m willing to say yes. But the bitch of it is, I’m 19. There’s hopefully a lot more ahead of me. And it’s going to require a lot of sacrifice and choices that are going to be difficult. But everyday, I’m going to have to believe in the man I see in the mirror.

I am my own chimera. And these are my thoughts.

Torque757
02-28-07, 9:30 pm
I know what it’s going to take to get there. But the fucked up thing is, I don’t know what it’s going to take there. .

??

Gambit
02-28-07, 9:35 pm
??

I know it's gonna take a lot of work, but I don't know exactly what kind of work I have to do. There's gonna be a lot of twists and turns, meaning I don't know exactly what is going to happen tomorrow, let alone three days from now. A year? Ha.

Strongarm
03-01-07, 2:13 am
great post bro, i like the way you think.

Gambit
03-01-07, 11:36 pm
“I could take you,” I heard as I walked to grab my hooded sweatshirt off the hook near the door.

“Little shit, why you even in here? Not like you play a varsity sport.” An overweight football player told me.

“It ain’t worth it, kid; you’re wasting your time.” An older twig of a man told me.

“Baby, I don’t want you to look like that.” My girlfriend said, looking at my poster of Wrath in my room.

There are a lot of people in my life that have tried to bring me down. But I’ve proven to be a little more stubborn than to listen to negative feedback. I choose to believe in myself, that I can accomplish more than the person next to me, because I strive to want it. I want it more than 99% of the people in the world. Brothers, you are the 1% that is with me. Stand with me; let us become one another’s foundation to build and build…

Lawman
03-02-07, 2:13 am
Great post dude. Nevermind what the wanna-be's say. We can fart in their general direction.

Ours is a noble quest. We're not hurting anyone (but maybe ourselves). We're not calling anyone down. There is nothing in what we do that isn't positive. There is no negative connotation to our quest. So to all those people who want to call us down, and try to throw up roadblocks before us; I say fuck em. We don't need em anyway.

Toni69
03-02-07, 5:10 am
I like your stlye...its expressive in a manner that others can relate to and communicate with...I like what you have written so far. What else you got in that hat of yours?

Gambit
03-02-07, 11:11 am
I like your stlye...its expressive in a manner that others can relate to and communicate with...I like what you have written so far. What else you got in that hat of yours?

Only time will tell!

Gambit
03-02-07, 1:41 pm
The recent tragedy in Atlanta, Georgia really hit home to me. In case any of you didn’t hear about it, a college baseball team’s bus plunged off an overpass this morning and six people were killed. Now, my baseball career ended after a serious knee injury, but it still means a lot to me. I owe a lot to baseball.

Baseball is where my bodybuilding roots were sown. I began lifting for baseball almost a year and a half ago, and it soon became my obsession. Being the team captain, I strongly encouraged everyone to join me in the weight room during the off-season and I did my research at night, looking up exercises, drills, and things to improve my team’s performance. This is when the obsession began. After a few weeks of my players charting their own progress, I began drawing up individualized workout plans for every person on the team. The boys really began working hard and their progress improved dramatically. I also made a challenge, on the first day of conditioning before the season, that any person with the balls to hang with me in the gym would be rewarded…no one even took the challenge. They had seen the Animal in me while I lifted and it scared them. All of a sudden, when the season began, I was the only one in the weight room. They would be “too tired” after a game to work out; it was “too early” to get up before school to lift. I couldn’t penalize them, being just the captain, but what I could do was push myself and hope to inspire them that way. That didn’t work. But it elevated my personal game to a whole new level. I wasn’t afraid to give it my all anymore because I knew that I’d been under the heavy weights and I hadn’t folded. It broke something inside of me, I was 100% go, every time.

Going 100% every time took a heavy toll on my body. But it was worth it. I never told any of my players what kept me looking like I was slacking sometimes. None of them knew I was on a routine to wake up at 2am just to take more painkillers. None of them knew that I couldn’t physically walk the night after games because my feet had swollen so badly. None of them knew that I was playing baseball with two separated shoulders. None of them knew that both my rotator cuffs were shot. None of them knew about the strained oblique muscle that made it look like I had constant constipation. None of them knew about the nerve damage in both of my shoulders, my elbows, and my hands. But you know what? I’m proud I never told them. I worked through my pain and I still worked harder than all of them. I could look at myself in the mirror and be proud. Today, I do the same thing. Every workout, every rep, I know who I am and that I can go through some hellacious shit and go back and ask for more.

I don’t need a spotter, Brothers, because I know every one of you is in the weight room with me, yelling at me to get up that one more rep.

And to my fallen Brothers from Bluffton, University, rest in peace, and may you look down on me one day and I’ll have made you proud.

Preston
03-03-07, 5:50 pm
Dawg, I'm lovin your posts. One word.

DeeeeeEEEEEEEEP!

Gambit
03-05-07, 7:33 pm
I first read the word chimera in Frankenstein. In that novel, the word was used to describe the catalyst that gave life to Frankenstein’s Monster. I was thinking about it a few days back and I decided to explain my chimera. What makes me tick? A fucking lot brothers…

A fierce lion’s heart
The sweat of a hard-working elephant
The hard-head of a rhino
The hunger of a bear
The energy of a hummingbird
The loyalty of a wolf to his pack

You throw all those ingredients into a pot and crank up the heat to 212 degrees. Let it burn. Out of this concoction, you’ll get an Animal. That Animal is you and it is I. Let us be true to our ingredients, because you must believe that we are on our way to something greater.

BeastFromMiddleEast
03-08-07, 6:39 am
Great thoughts.
Life is what we make of it, and it seems you are doing what you want.

TheOak
03-11-07, 3:27 pm
[QUOTE=Gambit;42444]
“Baby, I don’t want you to look like that.” My girlfriend said, looking at my poster of Wrath in my room.

hahaha, i've heard that one many times.

Toni69
03-11-07, 4:18 pm
you know what's really funny? My husband says that to me! LOL

Gambit
03-19-07, 12:50 pm
Can I just say that I love this lifestyle? Everything about it. Period. Let me give you a little recap of the last couple weeks in my life.

My first college spring break just ended. I’m back to school and back in the grind. But while I was home, catching up with some high school friends, it was evident to them that I wasn’t giving up on bodybuilding. Everyone thought I was just in it to get a nice looking body then give up, ESPECIALLY when I hit college…let alone the Fraternity I decided to join. Everyone at home expected me to gain a bunch of weight, and I didn’t disappoint them…except for the fact that it isn’t a beer gut. When I went to visit one of my old lifting buddies, we pulled our shirts off (I love the old gyms) while we banged out chest, and he almost fell over. He was so surprised that I stuck with it and definitely put on some size. He congratulated me and I just smiled, saying I still have a long way to go.

That same day, I bought Arnold’s Encyclopedia of a Modern Bodybuilder and it was the best investment (besides the Pak) that I’ve ever spent money on. My girlfriend’s starting calling it my own personal bible and I just laugh and her, reach in my desk, pull out my Animal Owner’s Manual and say that THERE’S my bible.

Getting to go back to my old gym (fitness spa, actually) was pretty nice, too. Who’s ever heard of a gym with a no-tank top policy? Well, that’s my college weight room. But whatever, I deal. Pulling my hoodie off at my old gym back home I got looks from every direction. I was one of the only people in there with a physique, but that was not the biggest deal. Some punks, weighing maybe 140 with their shirts wet, come up to me being cocky and ask me what I’m on. This is not a rare occurrence, but it was in the middle of my set. That just pissed me off. After I racked my weight, I look at them with fire in my eyes and I just say “Consistency and Dedication. That’s what’s running through my veins.” That wasn’t the answer they wanted and they scurried off.

But now I’m back at school. No tank-tops in the weight room. But that’s okay, just wait until I take my hoodie off next time.

Gambit
03-30-07, 12:26 am
Faith. A belief in something in something that is rooted deep in the heart, not the mind; the mind oftentimes tries to justify and criticize faith, however, the heart will not let go of it.

“What do you have faith in,” someone recently questioned. My answer should not come as a shock. I’m not going to give you the bullshit, cookie-cutter answer that you want to hear and then forget in thirty seconds. This answer is going to be difficult to comprehend and I like that.

“I have faith in one thing and that is me. Many times, I have sat under a heavy weight, capable of crushing me at any moment, and I have tested my mettle. I’ve let the weight push me down and I’ve pushed right back.”

I have clinched my teeth, yelled, and pushed until the weight was gone. But then there was always another weight on my back…the world. There are 6.5 billion people in the world and there are only 6,000 of us Animals. Brothers, that is a heavy burden.

So many people are satisfied with the status quo that it makes me sick to my stomach; so many people just going through the motion that is “life.” People buying things they don’t need and letting their possessions control them. Fancy sports car? Got to have it. Big house with too many rooms? A must have in this “life.” Fuck that. You know what I want?

I want progressively heavier weights. I want shirt sizes to keep increasing. I want to see the scale going upwards. I want the looks that people give us everywhere we go. I want the early nights and morning cardio sessions. I want the drawer full of Universal supplements. I want six meals a day. I want to live like an Animal. This is my “life.”

And brothers, who will provide this? The giver of faith. Myself. That is faith.

Gambit
04-12-07, 11:56 am
4/12/07

“Off day.” Is that what today is supposed to be? No, today’s a “rest day.” No, I still don’t like that. I’m hardly resting and I’m nowhere near “off.” These are the days I dread. There’s no pre-workout routine, no PWO shake (and I love the new Torrent.) There’s no iron and no pump. I’m just stuck here with my thoughts, when doubt seeps in. Shit, I hate these days. That’s why I consider my days away from the iron necessary, and nothing else.

Where would I be without bodybuilding? Well, if I continued down the same path I was headed before I heard the iron’s call, I would probably have already flunked out of college, be depressed and neck deep in a bottle, and weigh about 130 pounds. I’d still play a guitar and sing in a mediocre band that was never good enough to get out of my hometown. Eventually, my luck would run out and something bad would happen to me.

Bodybuilding saved my life. I know it’s a bold statement, but it’s true. I finish what I start. I know how to set long term goals, but also break them down into monthly, weekly, and daily goals. I take pride in my accomplishments, but I never brag. I know what I’m about and what I’ve been through.

But why is it that society puts a size limit on what people consider bodybuilders? I personally don’t use the word, but my girl does. She’ll talk to somebody about me and they’ll immediately question her use of the word. “Society” doesn’t understand that it’s the lifestyle and not the size of the person that deems them a true Animal. I know I’m not the size of Ronnie Coleman or Wrath, but I like to think I have the same drive as they did in their hearts when they first started into this game. The size takes time to build. The dedication is a lifelong task. But, it all starts with a simple question…

Are you man enough?

Preston
04-12-07, 2:35 pm
That is the point in which some people go mad. Keep your head high Gambit, and tredge on mother fucker! You got this shit, we do this day in day out, giving nothing but 100% and sacrificing every little piece you have in that fucking body of yours, just to get so little back. Patience brother, it'll come.

-Preston[ANIMAL] a.k.a "LoneWolf"

Preston
04-12-07, 2:37 pm
4/12/07

“Off day.” Is that what today is supposed to be? No, today’s a “rest day.” No, I still don’t like that. I’m hardly resting and I’m nowhere near “off.” These are the days I dread. There’s no pre-workout routine, no PWO shake (and I love the new Torrent.) There’s no iron and no pump. I’m just stuck here with my thoughts, when doubt seeps in. Shit, I hate these days. That’s why I consider my days away from the iron necessary, and nothing else.

Where would I be without bodybuilding? Well, if I continued down the same path I was headed before I heard the iron’s call, I would probably have already flunked out of college, be depressed and neck deep in a bottle, and weigh about 130 pounds. I’d still play a guitar and sing in a mediocre band that was never good enough to get out of my hometown. Eventually, my luck would run out and something bad would happen to me.

Bodybuilding saved my life. I know it’s a bold statement, but it’s true. I finish what I start. I know how to set long term goals, but also break them down into monthly, weekly, and daily goals. I take pride in my accomplishments, but I never brag. I know what I’m about and what I’ve been through.

But why is it that society puts a size limit on what people consider bodybuilders? I personally don’t use the word, but my girl does. She’ll talk to somebody about me and they’ll immediately question her use of the word. “Society” doesn’t understand that it’s the lifestyle and not the size of the person that deems them a true Animal. I know I’m not the size of Ronnie Coleman or Wrath, but I like to think I have the same drive as they did in their hearts when they first started into this game. The size takes time to build. The dedication is a lifelong task. But, it all starts with a simple question…

Are you man enough?

This gives me goosebumps.

Seriously.

Preston
04-12-07, 2:40 pm
Faith. A belief in something in something that is rooted deep in the heart, not the mind; the mind oftentimes tries to justify and criticize faith, however, the heart will not let go of it.

“What do you have faith in,” someone recently questioned. My answer should not come as a shock. I’m not going to give you the bullshit, cookie-cutter answer that you want to hear and then forget in thirty seconds. This answer is going to be difficult to comprehend and I like that.

“I have faith in one thing and that is me. Many times, I have sat under a heavy weight, capable of crushing me at any moment, and I have tested my mettle. I’ve let the weight push me down and I’ve pushed right back.”

I have clinched my teeth, yelled, and pushed until the weight was gone. But then there was always another weight on my back…the world. There are 6.5 billion people in the world and there are only 6,000 of us Animals. Brothers, that is a heavy burden.

So many people are satisfied with the status quo that it makes me sick to my stomach; so many people just going through the motion that is “life.” People buying things they don’t need and letting their possessions control them. Fancy sports car? Got to have it. Big house with too many rooms? A must have in this “life.” Fuck that. You know what I want?

I want progressively heavier weights. I want shirt sizes to keep increasing. I want to see the scale going upwards. I want the looks that people give us everywhere we go. I want the early nights and morning cardio sessions. I want the drawer full of Universal supplements. I want six meals a day. I want to live like an Animal. This is my “life.”

And brothers, who will provide this? The giver of faith. Myself. That is faith.

You seem like you'd maybe like this book. It's called "Wild at Heart," and I think you might dig it. Check it out sometime? ( Yes it's by a Christian author )

-Preston[ANIMAL] a.k.a "LoneWolf"

Grim Tavis
04-16-07, 1:34 pm
"Wild at Heart" is a great book.

Highly recommended read for all.

Gambit
05-19-07, 11:27 pm
5/19/2007

After enough nagging to drive me insane, my girl finally convinced me to come visit her before I go to work for the summer. She knows me well enough to know that I wouldn’t take a vacation if I had started walking, so she convinced me to come out first thing after school ended. She lives in New Jersey and I live in northwest Ohio, so I loaded up my car for the nine hour drive, charged my ipod and hit the road at 9am last Monday.

I get there and I crash. Not my car, thankfully, just my body. I’m not ready to lift Monday, so I get ready for an assault on Tuesday. So I load up my car with my gear, down my Pump on the way to the gym, and it turns out it’s a new-school fitness center, complete with internet on the bikes and tv’s on the treadmills. I figured I was gonna get kicked out as I assault my chest, because I was probably being “too intense.” I looked at my car on the ride back to her house and said flatly, I’m not going back there.

So she tells me there’s this little hole in the wall gym around the corner, so I know I’ve got to check it out. I walk in and the guy behind the counter stands up and introduces himself and shakes my hand. He shows me around and I could swear I’ve seen this gym in my dreams before. It’s a no-nonsense, go balls-to-the-wall gym that most of us only can dream of. He hands me his card for Manzo’s Gym after I buy a “guest pass” for the next three days and shakes my hand again.

The next morning, when I walk in, the owner walks right up to me, knows my name!, and shakes my hand introducing himself. I’m psyched for this experience. I go in and pound my delts into a pulp and can hardly raise my shoulders by the time I’m done.

It’s not the environment, it’s the person. I’ve heard it time and time before, but when I was in that gym, thinking about the people that’ve come and sweated and bled there, I could only think about proving them proud. I couldn’t let them down, and in turn it made myself prouder. I can walk tall. But I still must continue to prove my own rigor to myself, everyday for the rest of my life.

Liftbig21
05-20-07, 12:06 am
5/19/2007

After enough nagging to drive me insane, my girl finally convinced me to come visit her before I go to work for the summer. She knows me well enough to know that I wouldn’t take a vacation if I had started walking, so she convinced me to come out first thing after school ended. She lives in New Jersey and I live in northwest Ohio, so I loaded up my car for the nine hour drive, charged my ipod and hit the road at 9am last Monday.

I get there and I crash. Not my car, thankfully, just my body. I’m not ready to lift Monday, so I get ready for an assault on Tuesday. So I load up my car with my gear, down my Pump on the way to the gym, and it turns out it’s a new-school fitness center, complete with internet on the bikes and tv’s on the treadmills. I figured I was gonna get kicked out as I assault my chest, because I was probably being “too intense.” I looked at my car on the ride back to her house and said flatly, I’m not going back there.

So she tells me there’s this little hole in the wall gym around the corner, so I know I’ve got to check it out. I walk in and the guy behind the counter stands up and introduces himself and shakes my hand. He shows me around and I could swear I’ve seen this gym in my dreams before. It’s a no-nonsense, go balls-to-the-wall gym that most of us only can dream of. He hands me his card for Manzo’s Gym after I buy a “guest pass” for the next three days and shakes my hand again.

The next morning, when I walk in, the owner walks right up to me, knows my name!, and shakes my hand introducing himself. I’m psyched for this experience. I go in and pound my delts into a pulp and can hardly raise my shoulders by the time I’m done.

It’s not the environment, it’s the person. I’ve heard it time and time before, but when I was in that gym, thinking about the people that’ve come and sweated and bled there, I could only think about proving them proud. I couldn’t let them down, and in turn it made myself prouder. I can walk tall. But I still must continue to prove my own rigor to myself, everyday for the rest of my life.

COngrats on finding that special place bro...keep gettin after it im happy for you.

Gambit
05-25-07, 12:00 am
Fuck cutting down for summer; I'm gonna become the biggest sonofabitch I can in these 12 weeks I have. Strength is what I'm emphasizing this summer, and I've come up with a tentative 5-day split: 3 days on (delts/back/chest) 1 day off, 2 days on (wheels/arms), 1 day off. I've got to have a bit of leeway in my schedule because of some work-related issues. Three jobs will wear anybody down in a hurry. But I will stay committed, and true to each and all of you.

I started today. Began my cycle of the new MStak (first one since I alpha-tested), and got a few new things from Universal. I made BigAnt's secret workout drink for today's workout, and I decided to throw in some GH Stack and EAAs as well as just his BCAAs. Throw Torrent into the mix, a Real Gains shake just after work at the power plant, the Pak everyday, Nitro on the ride back from the gym, and as man liver tabs as I can stand. I know it's a lot of supplements, but I'm eating a full 6 meals everyday, banging out about 300g/protein, 500g/carbs, and a great big helping of fats (haven't figured that out yet.)

Today was only the beginning to my new Journey. Look for it here soon. I'll be keeping a daily log as well as my thoughts on life, similar to the above entries.

This is our time. Join me, brothers, I will not disappoint.

Gambit
06-18-07, 10:29 pm
"Fuck you. You're nothing compared to me."

I wrote this on my bedroom mirror and it's the first thing I see every morning besides those blurry numbers flashing 4:00am. Everyday it lights my ass on fire and I stare down that man in the mirror. What makes him any better than me? And how long before I'm staring down that man in the mirror and I'm proud of what I see? I don't know, brothers, and I hope I'm never satisfied.

So, Animals, do me one thing in this life, and I promise you that you'll be proud:

Fight.

Gambit
06-19-07, 9:12 pm
"If you're up against a bruiser and you're getting knocked about --
Grin.

If you're feeling pretty groggy, and you're licked beyond a doubt --
Grin.

Don't let him see you're funking, let him know with every clout,
Though your face is battered to a pulp, your blooming heart is stout;
Just stand upon your pins until the beggar knocks you out --
And grin.

This life's a bally battle, and the same advice holds true
Of grin.

If you're up against it badly, then it's only one on you,
So grin.

If the future's black as thunder, don't let people see you're blue;
Just cultivate a cast-iron smile of joy the whole day through;
If they call you "Little Sunshine," wish that they'd no troubles too --
You may -- grin.

Rise up in the morning with the will that, smooth or rough,
You'll grin.

Sink to sleep at midnight, and although you're feeling tough,
Yet grin.

There's nothing gained by whining, and you're not that kind of stuff;
You're a fighter from way back, and you won't take a rebuff;
Your trouble is that you don't know when you have had enough --
Don't give in.

If Fate should down you, just get and take another cuff;
You bank on it that there is no philosophy like bluff,
And grin."

-Robert Service

My great-grandpa used to read this to my old man when he was a pup and I remember hearing my dad read this to me when I was growing up. It never really sank in until I started taking this game seriously. This is my philosophy on life. What about yours?

I prefer to grin.

Gambit
07-09-07, 5:18 pm
I am a fucking bum. I lived on the other side of the mediocrity line for the last 5 weeks or so...and I fucking hate it, brothers. So I'm declaring to each and every one of you

I'm back.

ncsu06
07-15-07, 11:42 pm
it is always good to see a brother get back on his feet...life on the mediocre side always re-kindles the fire...good luck on your future endeavors...stay strong...good luck brother

Vaze_06
03-05-08, 8:27 pm
why can people really accept gurls doing and love weight training?! i mean i'm 17... been working for 4 years.. only 2 that i have been doing it hardcore....
my parents say that a girl shouldn't have large shoulder, big muscles, train with heavy weights, it's not pretty... every time i go ask my big brother (bodybuilder) for advice, best way to train... he says that girl shouldn't train like guys, that we can't push as hard as guys ( e.i. never able to work w/ 35 kilo dumbells curl biceps... but guess what big bro... it's with what i'm working right now! and gonna work to get the 50 kilo in... (wish me good luck:P) which got him pretty pissed off and made my day!)... my ex even wanted me to go less hard on the arm, shoulder cauz it was getting hard, big...
even guys of my college think i'm crazy of going to the gym at least 4 time per week ... but they are pussys soo don,t really blame them! lol

i don't mean to disrespect anyone but i mean if bodybuilding is what makes me want to get up in the morning, knowing that i'll be pushing harder myself. can't they simply accept it and not try to stop me .... anyways i have the iron deeply in my blood so more they try to put limits and more i'll go further
am i a little to yourg from hardcore gym?? (doesn,t mean i less work, but should i wait to get older or i don't know... feel strange to be with few gurl really doing weight trainning... but notice few person know what's the real feeling of working out

widdlewade44
03-05-08, 8:35 pm
why can people really accept gurls doing and love weight training?! i mean i'm 17... been working for 4 years.. only 2 that i have been doing it hardcore....
my parents say that a girl shouldn't have large shoulder, big muscles, train with heavy weights, it's not pretty... every time i go ask my big brother (bodybuilder) for advice, best way to train... he says that girl shouldn't train like guys, that we can't push as hard as guys ( e.i. never able to work w/ 35 kilo dumbells curl biceps... but guess what big bro... it's with what i'm working right now! and gonna work to get the 50 kilo in... (wish me good luck:P) which got him pretty pissed off and made my day!)... my ex even wanted me to go less hard on the arm, shoulder cauz it was getting hard, big...
even guys of my college think i'm crazy of going to the gym at least 4 time per week ... but they are pussys soo don,t really blame them! lol

i don't mean to disrespect anyone but i mean if bodybuilding is what makes me want to get up in the morning, knowing that i'll be pushing harder myself. can't they simply accept it and not try to stop me .... anyways i have the iron deeply in my blood so more they try to put limits and more i'll go further
am i a little to yourg from hardcore gym?? (doesn,t mean i less work, but should i wait to get older or i don't know... feel strange to be with few gurl really doing weight trainning... but notice few person know what's the real feeling of working out

There are plenty of us out here to lend support. Good luck on your Journey to that 50 kilo!

Kevin
widdlewade44

eblnyc
03-05-08, 8:46 pm

do what you want not what others want you to do..you want to lift heavy do it..fuck them..

Vaze_06
03-05-08, 8:55 pm
There are plenty of us out here to lend support. Good luck on your Journey to that 50 kilo!

Kevin
widdlewade44

thanks!, I'll need more luck into squats with 200lb, but had problems w/ my left knee... which really sucks.... but got to suck it up

widdlewade44
03-05-08, 9:10 pm
thanks!, I'll need more luck into squats with 200lb, but had problems w/ my left knee... which really sucks.... but got to suck it up

Check out the 'Ask Big Ant' thread, here's a link below:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8049

And maybe even post in there asking Big Ant himself. I'm sure he would have some great advice on how to properly heal up, strengthen your knee and then crush that 200lb squat.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Vaze_06
03-05-08, 9:19 pm
Check out the 'Ask Big Ant' thread, here's a link below:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8049

And maybe even post in there asking Big Ant himself. I'm sure he would have some great advice on how to properly heal up, strengthen your knee and then crush that 200lb squat.

Kevin
widdlewade44

really, i'm already asking big dog for advice... but do they also know how to strength shoulder, like i broke my collar bone, bad fall doing judo one years ago, and since then i still feel some pain when doing tricep drip machine (165lb), push up.... (boys i'm telling u... broke anything that you want but not the collar bone!!... i think it's one of the worst part of the body to break....)
thanks for the advice

widdlewade44
03-05-08, 10:13 pm
really, i'm already asking big dog for advice... but do they also know how to strength shoulder, like i broke my collar bone, bad fall doing judo one years ago, and since then i still feel some pain when doing tricep drip machine (165lb), push up.... (boys i'm telling u... broke anything that you want but not the collar bone!!... i think it's one of the worst part of the body to break....)
thanks for the advice

it's what we're here for and Big Dog knows his stuff too. All our Pros do, we've got a minimum of decades worth of practical experience and application available here on the FORVM.

Diet and rest are going to be important in your healing but the proper exercises and rehab will have you back, better then you were before.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Gambit
03-05-08, 11:56 pm
Damn. I didn't realize it's been a year since I posted on this thread. Like the title says...a loner now, but never happier.

Shit gets rough when you're living in the shadows. It's hard sometimes to keep pushing on but it's the rough shit that makes you realize exactly what you can do.

I'll post more tanglible thoughts tomorrow.

Gambit
03-06-08, 12:14 am

Hey friend, I didn't mean to jack your thread. I'm all confused.

Ricky P
03-06-08, 12:23 am
I risk everything on a daily basis to come out on top and I wouldn't have it any other way. That's why I call myself Gambit. I'm a college student with a lot of classes, a steady girlfriend (who doesn't totally understand the Animal in me, though she's starting to), a serious job, and I'm a heavily-active member in my Fraternity. Can I do all of this and still live the bodybuilding lifestyle? Fuck yes. And it's what seperates me from everyone else on this campus.

Frat Boys are alcoholics. And that's fine by me, because I'm not a Frat Boy. I am a member of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, but I am no Frat Boy. Sure, I'm the only clean liver in the Fraternity house. Sure, I'm the only one downing 6 meals a day and working out 5 days a week. Looking back, I might not have joined if I had realized that the values that the Fraternity were built upon have taken a backseat to constant alcohol abuse. I got no problem with college kids drinking if that's what they want to do, but it shouldn't be what we as a Fraternity are known for. Grr, sorry guys. But we're better than that.

Everyone gives me a look like they know me when they see me wear my Fraternity letters...like they know I'm an alcoholic and probably drunk, even if it's the middle of the afternoon. Little do they know that I walk a higher path.
I'm not about the alcohol, I'm about the iron. I'm about pounding myself into a mess of sinew and flesh every workout and then limping through the next day until my next workout. I'm about myself. Fuck those people that stereotype me as a Frat Boy, cause they couldn't be more wrong.

more thoughts later, bros, this has just been weighing down on me.

I personally never understood the Frat scene. I was in college on an athletic scholarship so I never got into it, probably never would have it's just not my style. I like your attitude though and love what you're talking about. I know a lot of guys at my old school who are involved in Fraternity life but are big in the weight room, so I know where you're coming from. It's tough to walk in your shoes knowing you're being looked at in a negative light by some people who just don't know who you are, but I like how you're taking that higher path like you had said. I'll sub into this, I'd like to hear some more of your thoughts. Keep going strong, brother.

jeff00z28
03-06-08, 12:29 am

i think it is great. most women let themself go completely around mid-late 20s.

Themostocles
03-06-08, 12:57 am

There is nothing wrong with girls lifting, whether for tone or size. I have had a few gf's that lifted and its always a great thing. Its always something you always can have in common. Some men maybe intimidated by it, but thats not the kind of man you want. That 50 kilos is lightweight girl, GO GET IT. -T.

Ricky P
03-06-08, 12:59 am
There is nothing wrong with girls lifting, whether for tone or size. I have had a few gf's that lifted and its always a great thing. Its always something you always can have in common. Some men maybe intimidated by it, but thats not the kind of man you want. That 50 kilos is lightweight girl, GO GET IT. -T.

Funny, I actually think it's a turn-on. I'd love to find a girl who can get into the gym and actually care about her body. I think that's awesome to have a girl who shares the same interest in the gym that you do. It'd be easier to plan meals, too. Especially if you're both bulking or cutting, haha.

Themostocles
03-06-08, 1:10 am
Actually it is a total turn-on, I was trying to get at that in a round about way. Makes for great cardio sessions too, lol. -T.

Ricky P
03-06-08, 1:11 am
Actually it is a total turn-on, I was trying to get at that in a round about way. Makes for great cardio sessions too, lol. -T.

Cardio..... You gotta find motivation somewhere, right? Haha.

Vaze_06
03-06-08, 10:47 am
Hey friend, I didn't mean to jack your thread. I'm all confused.

hey bro, jack my thread?! naaa confused? about what.... i'm a loner, nobody will come and say go gurl kill that last set... it's even the opposite! so i learned to rely only on myself and keep pushing harder and harder
friends (boys & gurls) try to get in the game with me... but end up choking cauz don't have the commitment, serious for it...(pretty sad) but i don't need their help or support, at least alone i can do all my shit and no waste of time
just felt that it was like a stereotypes young women being hardcore...

but stereotype or no, i think the only thing that might stop me from working out is a broken bone

who cares if you didn't have post a thing for a year! the important is that you haven't stop trainning, that you're still has serious about it as before... the rest doesn't really matter

peace

ghost
03-06-08, 10:57 am
if someone has a problem with who or what you are, fukem. they aren't worth the time, energy, or effort it will take to explain or show them.

this is a lonely lifestyle, but we are all in it together.

i walk through these streets arm n arm with my brothers and sisters in battle. and we will be victorious.

Vaze_06
03-06-08, 11:00 am

hell no! maybe that's one of the reason why that most of my bf are around 22 years old... guys my age just don't get it, they prefer little weak chick.... they just can't handle it
BUt intimidated about what??! i mean by nature man are stronger than woman sooo if they shut the f*** up more and went trainning as seriously as me, they would for sure get stronger than me, would stop telling shit about girl lifting and be happy to have a girl pushing them hardcore

Themostocles
03-06-08, 11:07 am
hell no! maybe that's one of the reason why that most of my bf are around 22 years old... guys my age just don't get it, they prefer little weak chick.... they just can't handle it
BUt intimidated about what??! i mean by nature man are stronger than woman sooo if they shut the f*** up more and went trainning as seriously as me, they would for sure get stronger than me, would stop telling shit about girl lifting and be happy to have a girl pushing them hardcore

BUt most guys don't take it that seriously. The only curl they do is the twelve ounce curl. They are intimidated by the drive and dedication that you have. Men may gentically have the advantage, but you have the will power to crush most people. This life style demands commitment in all parts of your life, or it won't work. Most men can't commit to a to a relationship, much less a lifestyle. I hate to admit that being a man, but damn, society as a whole is pathetic lot anymore. -T.

Gambit
03-06-08, 12:51 pm
3/6/08

Heroes.

Ask almost any random kid on the street under the age of 21 who his/her hero is, and you'll usually get a blank stare. What the fuck? Do kids not look up to anybody anymore? Do they not realize that every action is being watched, not necessarily by the older generation, but also by the younger ones. The younger people see our, the Starbucks Generation, lack of heroes as a reason to continue to ignore this vital piece of life.

I could name my heroes and why they mean so much to me. First and foremost, Arnold Schwarzenegger. The man has the mentality that anything is possible, and through sweat and hard work, he has accomplished more than anyone ever thought. My great-grandpa Johnny. I never got to meet him, but hearing what kind of man he was, the things he fought for, and the family man he also was, makes me strive to grow up in his image.

Then there's you out there. All of the Animals that are never satisfied. The people who don't know when to say when. Who inflict damage to their own self worse than the worst torture you can think of, on a daily basis. The ones who never miss meals. The ones who would never miss a workout. The ones that would rather die than to say "That's good enough."

Thank you, all, my heroes. May you look back at me one day and say the same thing.

Chevy_
03-06-08, 1:30 pm
“Consistency and Dedication. That’s what’s running through my veins.”

Amen.
Great posts Gambit.

jeff00z28
03-07-08, 10:51 am
i rly don't see what is so lonely lol. i have met a lot of people thru the gym. and i train 100%

dominatetheiron
03-07-08, 11:04 am
Somebody walked up to me and wondered why I had this huge baggy hoodie on today as I warmed up in the squat rack, during the middle of my set, mind you! So I racked my weight and told him, "I bought it this way."

i did the same thing i have a double XL bodybuilding sweater i wear it to the gym daily as a reminder of where i am and where i would like to be.

Gambit
03-07-08, 11:53 am
i did the same thing i have a double XL bodybuilding sweater i wear it to the gym daily as a reminder of where i am and where i would like to be.

same thing happened when i picked up a universal nutrition shirt, by accident, actually. they sent me the wrong size, and i got a double XL, and it's gonna look pretty damn good when i fill it...

Vaze_06
03-07-08, 2:37 pm
i rly don't see what is so lonely lol. i have met a lot of people thru the gym. and i train 100%

you think it isn't lonely cauz you're surrounded by people and friend that have the same interest, passion as you.
but if most of your friend aren't even sure of what is doing simple biceps curl with dumbbells or that Arnold isn't just a actor for action movie.... you better not be someone who complains that you can't go to the gym alone cauz you aren't gonna go often!:P

Gambit
03-07-08, 2:49 pm
shit gets lonely. happens to everybody. it's something that might not build up a muscle we can see, like a pullup builds the lats or a pushdown builds the triceps, but it's one of the most important muscle we all carry: the one in our head. our minds are the hardest part to train, but also the one we need more than anything.

keep pushing on. never back down.

jeff00z28
03-07-08, 11:27 pm
you think it isn't lonely cauz you're surrounded by people and friend that have the same interest, passion as you.
but if most of your friend aren't even sure of what is doing simple biceps curl with dumbbells or that Arnold isn't just a actor for action movie.... you better not be someone who complains that you can't go to the gym alone cauz you aren't gonna go often!:P

i suppose thats true. none of my friends outside to the gym lift. they might go once or twice a week but they avoid going w/ me because they are scared of how soar they will be the next day lol. I go alone i am just used to seeing all same people every time.

Gambit
03-11-08, 11:53 am
This is my manifesto.

I am going to press harder than I've ever pressed before and get to know the man on the other side. The me I see in the mirror. Eventually, as I build myself up with iron and sweat, my own image will turn into what I want to. The future is in my hands. The future is my hands...

mcbeast
03-11-08, 11:55 am
The future is in my hands. The future is my hands...
\

Nicely said

Iron 3
03-11-08, 3:24 pm
Hey man, great posts!

Gambit
03-14-08, 9:44 pm
Why am I here? It's early in the morning. The lights were still off and most of the boys in the frat house I stay in had just gone to bed about an hour earlier. But I am awake. It's like being alive and dead at the same time. Utter silence engulfs me as I go through my morning routine.

The most unassuming thing can be the most dangerous thing in the world. Everyday, I remain quiet, only speaking with a few people. But inside, I am constantly screaming to break free. The chains that hold us down are invisible, but ever-present.

It seems odd that I only choose to speak with a few people. I'm never rude with people, but I keep my own council very small. It's difficult for other people to understand that it's just how I choose to run my life. They label me, for their own personal satisfaction. They believe their labels to bring me down, to control me, but in my reality, the label only brings down the speaker. I am free in so many more ways.

My council is ripe with strong people. These people are no-bullshit-types. They don't make excuses. They celebrate everyday that they are still alive. They are working to be the best individuals that they can be. That's why I choose my council so carefully.

The strength of our few will outweigh the strength of the many. But that's okay. We'll keep living our lives, as long as they keep living theirs. That's the way it is.

REBORN1
03-14-08, 10:00 pm
just read through this thread, you are writing some strong shit man, and i think those of us including myself who sometimes fall off the tracks need to read this, great job man

Gambit
03-15-08, 12:52 am
just read through this thread, you are writing some strong shit man, and i think those of us including myself who sometimes fall off the tracks need to read this, great job man

hey man, we've all been there. you find me one honest person in this game that says that he/she never slipped onto the wrong side of the fence, and i'd be a little surprised at how many there were. point being, shit happens to everybody.

it's all a part of our growth.

thanks for reading, brother. love and respect.

Gambit
03-16-08, 7:31 pm
Today, the tail end of my spring break, when I move back into my fraternity house for bearing down on the rest of the semester until the summer, I spent most of my off-day reading and attempting to keep myself occupied.

John Henry.

I'm a big believer in tall tales. It doesn't matter if the story is true or not, if these people existed or not, but what matters is what the story teaches us. The human will, hard work and determination will always defeat technology.

Those of you who might be hazy on the story of John Henry, it goes a little something like this. John Henry was a steel driver working on the railroads. He worked his ass off and became a legend across the country as the man pushing the railroad west with every swing of his sledgehammer.

One day, the company he was working for, bought a steam-powered hammer to work more efficiently. John knew that the buying of the machine meant that him and most of his crew were going to be out of a job. He decided to challenge the inventor of the machine to a race, John Henry vs. the steam-powered hammer.

Through hard work and sweat, John Henry outworks the machine. But, after the toll wears on his body, he collapses and dies.

Why do I bring up John Henry? Man can achieve the unthinkable. But it's never going to be given to us. We're going to have to work our asses off. There's always going to be machines that make the job easier, but if you want to become a legend, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

Gambit
03-20-08, 4:20 pm
Picked up "Into the Wild" last night. It's a great movie about a kid that gives up his possessions and goes off to live off the land. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's a good tale. This movie really hits home with me because I've been in a similar situation. I wasn't always the Gambit you see around this forum.

When I was a little over 15, I ran away from home. Looking back, I can't say exactly why I left, I don't know what I was running from, but that's what happened. I left. Didn't say anything to anybody, snagged a car, and took off. Mind you, I didn't even have my temporary permit yet.

I was free. It was me alone traveling across America. I had no connections anymore to what I had left behind. Me and the road. I wanted it that way.

That is, until I got picked up in New Mexico. A 15 year old kid made it over 3000 miles, not half bad. Went to juvie for a couple days, until my parents came out to get me. Their faces had changed. I'd only been gone for a few days, but it looked like it added years to them. In that instant, I was ashamed at what I had done.

I don't regret leaving like I did. The journey changed me. I realized that you can't just run away from problems, but you've got to face them like a man. Ever since then, that's how I deal with things. I'm blunt, I'm not afraid of conflict. I stand up to adversity and look it dead in the eye.

Every little thing that we have gone through shape who we are. I'm not the long-haired punk I used to be. But there's still that kid's experiences in me and they help shape every decision I make.

Preston
03-21-08, 1:35 am
Picked up "Into the Wild" last night. It's a great movie about a kid that gives up his possessions and goes off to live off the land. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's a good tale. This movie really hits home with me because I've been in a similar situation. I wasn't always the Gambit you see around this forum.

When I was a little over 15, I ran away from home. Looking back, I can't say exactly why I left, I don't know what I was running from, but that's what happened. I left. Didn't say anything to anybody, snagged a car, and took off. Mind you, I didn't even have my temporary permit yet.

I was free. It was me alone traveling across America. I had no connections anymore to what I had left behind. Me and the road. I wanted it that way.

That is, until I got picked up in New Mexico. A 15 year old kid made it over 3000 miles, not half bad. Went to juvie for a couple days, until my parents came out to get me. Their faces had changed. I'd only been gone for a few days, but it looked like it added years to them. In that instant, I was ashamed at what I had done.

I don't regret leaving like I did. The journey changed me. I realized that you can't just run away from problems, but you've got to face them like a man. Ever since then, that's how I deal with things. I'm blunt, I'm not afraid of conflict. I stand up to adversity and look it dead in the eye.

Every little thing that we have gone through shape who we are. I'm not the long-haired punk I used to be. But there's still that kid's experiences in me and they help shape every decision I make.

Your past is most def a great one my friend, and as I just read, one of consequences. With the knowledge that you have now, I have no doubt in you my friend. I would give you the shirt off my back, any day.

Gambit
03-25-08, 6:18 pm
Tell me what's scarier than realizing that you will never be where you are again, and I'll give you the shirt off of my own back.

To me, there's nothing scarier than knowing that I'll never be where I am ever again. I'll never know this feeling, this song ringing in my head, this drink I have; these things may still be present, but this moment never will. Moments come and go in less time than it takes to blink. That frightens me beyond belief.

That's why it's so important to be conscious of every single moment we have. Whether it's the good things or the bad things, the ugly side of life or the fleeting beautiful scenes. There is beauty in the darkness and there is always a shadow in the bright sunshine. That's just the balance of life.

Focus on where you are right now. It doesn't matter if it's a noisy dorm room, a quiet library, a busy house, or wherever you may be. Focus on your surroundings and all the things going on around you. These things may be obvious, but we can learn so much from the subtle things that you routinely overlook. Remember this, there is never nothing going on.

When you turn out the lights and crawl into bed at night, do you stare at the ceiling and reflect on your day? Or do you just roll over and ignore everything you could have learned throughout the day? Many people see sleep as relaxing and comforting, but there's nothing scarier to me. I don't like letting my mind separate from my body. Most nights, I stare at the ceiling until the wee hours of the morning, when my body won't let me fight anymore and sleep takes over. But there is an honor in the fight.

I hope this note reaches you out there and you slow down. Maybe today you'll notice something subtle that you've never thought about before. Just allow me to part on the words of a literary hero of mine:

"There are no ordinary moments."

brandonA
03-25-08, 9:27 pm
There ya go, bro....keep pounding...

-B

Preston
03-25-08, 9:30 pm
Tell me what's scarier than realizing that you will never be where you are again, and I'll give you the shirt off of my own back.

To me, there's nothing scarier than knowing that I'll never be where I am ever again. I'll never know this feeling, this song ringing in my head, this drink I have; these things may still be present, but this moment never will. Moments come and go in less time than it takes to blink. That frightens me beyond belief.

That's why it's so important to be conscious of every single moment we have. Whether it's the good things or the bad things, the ugly side of life or the fleeting beautiful scenes. There is beauty in the darkness and there is always a shadow in the bright sunshine. That's just the balance of life.

Focus on where you are right now. It doesn't matter if it's a noisy dorm room, a quiet library, a busy house, or wherever you may be. Focus on your surroundings and all the things going on around you. These things may be obvious, but we can learn so much from the subtle things that you routinely overlook. Remember this, there is never nothing going on.

When you turn out the lights and crawl into bed at night, do you stare at the ceiling and reflect on your day? Or do you just roll over and ignore everything you could have learned throughout the day? Many people see sleep as relaxing and comforting, but there's nothing scarier to me. I don't like letting my mind separate from my body. Most nights, I stare at the ceiling until the wee hours of the morning, when my body won't let me fight anymore and sleep takes over. But there is an honor in the fight.

I hope this note reaches you out there and you slow down. Maybe today you'll notice something subtle that you've never thought about before. Just allow me to part on the words of a literary hero of mine:

I ignore almost everything...more or less I'm disgustingly oblivious to anything and almost everything that goes on with life...I kind of like it that way. Not getting into the tiny details keeps me from overthinking and over analyzing; I do all two quite well ;)

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I love my sleep :D

Keep ya head up shawty. :))) <--- more smiles.

ha!

Iron 3
03-25-08, 10:49 pm

Totally agree man. All people do these days is scurry about their lives without thinking about really living. Just by acknowledging the gift of life you can begin to live more. A favorite quote of mine by Jonathan Swift- "May you live all the days of your life." When I first read it I kinda thought well duh, if you're alive you're living (the days of your life). Shortly after it hit me, what is living really? What is the difference between being alive and really living. Ya gotta have that joie de vivre. That just might be the key to being sucessful and rich (not in the monetary sense) and happy.
I think that the best thing to do is to find solace in the fact that now is the only time it can possibly be. In my opinion, it would be better to enjoy the moment than to worry about where it's going to go (even though I agree it really is humbling when you ponder how just about everything about our human existance is so insignificant in relation to time on a cosmic scale, from the length of a day or a lifetime to the location of our little planet. The length of a life is like one flutter of a hummingbird's wing). Enjoy the moment and there will be fond memories to look back upon. Things happen in due time (except in the gym. Someone on Animalpak.com wrote somewhere something to the extent of "Spend 99% of the time improving yourself and the other 1% tearing yourself apart because you should be further along." I think it might have been Machine).
Also, the part where you bring up the balance of life brings to mind the Asian philosophy of Taoism. I'm not sure how familiar you are with it, but I think you might find the book the Tao Te Ching intereting (seeming how you seem to be interested in learning). If you end up learning about it let me know.
Your post did bring up a new thought to me. I think it's more of a (close) spinoff of what you were saying, but either way it's on the same track. Whenever you drink something or listen to a song in the gym, it will never really be the same experience ever again. Not to mention the external variables like the next time you listen to the song you'll be stronger, the weather, but just the fact that the specific moment has gone will prevent it from being the same experience as before.
Hope I didn't start to ramble a little too much towards the end there and that it made some sense. Its getting late.
Peace!

d3sh
03-26-08, 11:22 pm
i saw that movie peaceful warrior also, it really makes you take in everything.....

Gambit
03-31-08, 7:08 pm
I keep seeing this figure everywhere I look. It's not real but it's not a daydream. I see this faceless man in every facet of life. He's sitting in there at class everyday, right next to me, pissed at me about how little I've studied. He bitches at me when I'm eating about how little I'm eating. He screams at me in the gym when I start to get tired. But he's a man without a face...an image that scared me for a long time until I manned up enough to stand up and look into the oblivion.

It's me. It's the man I'm striving to be. I know he exists now because I can see him. I can see that I'm not just running in place, but actually getting somewhere. That's why he's always on my ass; it's because I'm starting to get somewhere. He'll never let me settle. And I thank him every day for that.

Gambit
11-14-08, 6:49 pm
Functional strength. Machine brought it up in an article he wrote. Why is it that we do what we do? Survival. And don't let anyone tell you differently. We do this to become the best we can be so that when tested, we will rise to the challenge and defend the one thing we actually own: our mind and body.

What we do is melt these two together into one single, powerful weapon. When I'm in the middle of a set, no matter what the exercise, I'm completely in the moment, feeling the muscle work. I'm not thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner or what the weather is like outside. If you aren't completely in the moment, chances are, your results aren't what you want.

I've had the misfortune, over the last few months, to suffer some rotten luck that kept me from the gym. Injuries, family issues, and legal troubles all hindered my resolve and tested my mettle. But it also helped me sort myself out and realize exactly what I want to get out of my time in the gym.

When I am on the bench, readying myself up for a set of bench presses, I don't think about a bar loaded with plates; I think of a do-or-die situation. This bar is the boot of an attacker and the only way I can get out from under it, is to push with everything I have. When I grip the bar for a deadlift, I see a fallen telephone pole trapping someone. If I don't lift it, he will perish. The squat? Holding up a timber so that others can escape the burning building. See where I'm going with this?

My reasoning for this is twofold. Psyching myself like this not only trains my muscles, but it also evokes the stress response. I'm training not only my body, but also my fight-or-flight mechanism of the brain. My lifting has transcended not only my musculature, but has begun to explore new depths of my brain.

Gambit
12-28-08, 1:23 pm
Bend and Not Break

We've all been there. At the edge of the precipice, the razor's edge in which we could go or way or another. There's no place scarier than that, no matter how big or small you are. Brings up an interesting question. Will you venture into the unknown, where you may fail? Or will you stick with the easy path that has been worn down by many before us? Is the choice even your choice anyway?

I've recently traveled deep into the blackest, scariest place I've ever been. It wasn't a good place. I was scared, reaching out for help and couldn't find any. It was like I was drowning in plain sight and people just watched, completely indifferent. I would wake up everyday nervous to get out of bed and meet the world.

That scary place? It wasn't some dungeon in Transylvania or a deserted island. It was in between my ears. I was a prisoner in my own mind. I let myself fall off the wrong side of the precipice and I become ashamed to meet the world.

I lost my faith in humanity. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I know it did. Many things went wrong and I didn't know how to face the world. I let go of my rock, the iron, and I become adrift in the world, not knowing what I needed to do or how to do it. I become a shell of the man I was. I couldn't face myself in the mirror.

And then I woke up. I opened my eyes one morning and put my feet on the ground. I looked around in the blackness and it was beautiful. I realized that I'm not supposed to know how to get through this life. If I did, it wouldn't be my life that I was living. I realized that I was not a broken man, but I had merely bent. The real me was yearning to be out. and I was free.

I reached back out to the iron and it welcomed me home. I rediscovered that which I felt like I had lost in my life. I'm embracing the fact that I can be lost, yet know exactly where I am. It's beautiful and ugly at the same time. So what is wrong with that?

Being lost is one of the most exciting things in this world. Are you?

Gambit
12-31-08, 3:08 pm
One Second

Tonight brings the new year. 2009. It's early in the day still and most people are getting ready for their parties, getting wasted remembering the good parts of the year that they've had. But they choose to block out the hard times, the times that helped them sculpt them into the people they now are. Me? I embrace the hard times. The good times are the easiest time and I realize they won't last. Life is a struggle, no doubt, and I'd be lying to say I didn't enjoy the good times, but I realize the lies in only living for the good times.

Tonight, at the stroke of midnight, astronomers and physicists and all kinds of other scientists have decided that we need an extra second to keep all of the clocks synchronized. Time, these scientists say, will stop for that split second. This second will go unnoticed by many and will be completely forgotten by tomorrow. But to me, and I can't explain exactly why, that second means everything to me.

Maybe it's because I know that time is not going to stand still. It's not a giant pause button on the universe. No one can stop time. No matter how many scientists in the world agree that the clocks should all be synced, they can't stop the earth from spinning, nor time. They are completely indifferent, completely impartial to what people try to do to them.

I can't really explain it, but if you're really paying attention, you can live an entire lifetime in that one split second that no one else notices.

Gambit
01-25-09, 8:27 pm
Been having some fucked up dreams lately. I'm gonna try and make sense of nonsense.

I was standing in a council chamber, looking up to the judges. I was looking up to the men looking down and me in judgment. I stood alone, hands at my sides, with no one else in the room except the judges and me. Every word shouted at me struck me like a dagger. Everything spoken was negative and chilled me to the bone. I felt deflated, broken. But I stood there and took their vicious words. I never let their barbs knock me down. This only enraged them more. Their words became more cruel, louder.

Then, they gave my verdict. Death, by firing squad. I'll never know exactly why I was on trial, but I was condemned to die. I walked down the corridor towards the chamber. They asked if I had any last words, I said no. One man walked up to me and cocked his revolver. He raised it in between my eyes and I looked down the barrel. I took a deep breath as the hammer hit the cartridge.

I woke up, a cold sweat covering me. I had woken up violently, sitting up quickly, short of breath, scaring the hell out of my girl. My hand covered my heart, beating hard. Had I really done it? I was breathing, no hole where my face should be. I had faced my own death and stood against it without backing down. I am lucky, because I've come to realize the one truth in life.

We are going to die. No matter what we do, no matter how hard we try...we will die. We can build slabs of muscle, eat healthy every single day, make millions of dollars, but that isn't going to prevent the inevitable. You can develop a groundbreaking logarithm that changes the entire world, but guess what? You're not going to live forever.

So own it. You've got right now. I wish I could be sunshine and rainbows, but this is my burden, to bear honesty. Enjoy what you have right now, it's the only thing that matters.

Preston
01-26-09, 12:05 am
That's so true bro - you're only guaranteed one thing at birth; death.

Gambit
02-10-09, 8:36 pm
I've been working on my philosophy. Been thinking a lot about what I want to do in bodybuilding...and how I can get there. I don't like to think about it, but I had to. I couldn't sleep. An aching shoulder was keeping me up while my girl was quietly snoring next to me.

I've been reading a lot about Dorian Yates and his training philosophy. His idea, an expansion of Mike Metzner's, was that if you could put your muscle through a full range of motion, then countless sets were unnecessary. He believed in warm ups, then one, final, all-out set. He had a strong training partner, and when he would hit failure, his partner would help execute rest pauses, negative reps, etc., until Dorian couldn't physically lift the weight any longer.

Recently watching Blood and Guts, I realized that I needed to dial up my intensity. I'm only about 10lbs heavier than when I started a few years ago, but I feel it's good weight. Now it's time to up the intensity.

I don't use a training partner. I've been working to maximum (or near) failure on my exercises and honestly, I'm making tremendous strides. I'm not quite to Dorian's intensity with the one full-out set, but I'm working on cutting sets and upping intensity. It's been a fantastic ride so far.

Gambit
03-01-09, 8:26 pm
Do you know what you're fighting for? What's your great motivator? Do you have a battle cry? Doesn't matter if it's as loud as a lion or much more quiet and subtle...the fact is: everyone must find their voice in this life. Without your voice, you're going to be trampled and downtrodden.

When I'm gone, will I be remembered? Will my life leave such an indentation in this world that it will take generations to fill the void? Maybe not, but that's where I've set my sights. But I want no role of Achilles in my own personal Iliad. I want a much simpler life. I want the simple pleasures in life that my family and my hobbies can give me.

Life is what you make of it. Give it your best shot at whatever you do, and you will be rewarded on a daily basis.

Gambit
03-10-09, 6:44 pm
Close Your Eyes

What happens when you close your eyes? Do you see stillness? A blackness? Or can you see it, too?

Can you see the bright lights? Can you see that person you're destined to become, the physique you're striving for? You're looking into the world beyond time. You're looking into the struggle itself.

No matter what your goals are, I plead to you that you burn them into your eyelids so that you can never shy away. You must see that person that you are working to become at all times, so that you remember the struggle and continue for the right reasons.

This is tunnel vision, I know, but it is what we must do to stay honest. We must avoid all paths except the one to our goals. Enjoy the challenge, face your destiny, and you will succeed.

machineman
03-10-09, 8:29 pm
good shit in here, G......keep it coming.....

Preston
03-18-09, 12:22 pm
Close Your Eyes

What happens when you close your eyes? Do you see stillness? A blackness? Or can you see it, too?

Can you see the bright lights? Can you see that person you're destined to become, the physique you're striving for? You're looking into the world beyond time. You're looking into the struggle itself.

No matter what your goals are, I plead to you that you burn them into your eyelids so that you can never shy away. You must see that person that you are working to become at all times, so that you remember the struggle and continue for the right reasons.

This is tunnel vision, I know, but it is what we must do to stay honest. We must avoid all paths except the one to our goals. Enjoy the challenge, face your destiny, and you will succeed.

Word. You are a lyrical genius my friend. True talk - love it. :)

Gambit
03-18-09, 3:19 pm
Thanks MM and Preston...

New one in the works about what I want.

Preston
03-18-09, 3:35 pm
Thanks MM and Preston...

New one in the works about what I want.

I tried to meet your standards and I always seem to fall short. Check it.

Gambit
03-18-09, 3:58 pm
I tried to meet your standards and I always seem to fall short. Check it.

Don't say that, man. We've all got our own voice to shout with, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Preston
03-18-09, 4:31 pm
Don't say that, man. We've all got our own voice to shout with, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Well now that you've talked some trash - IT'S ON! lol.

Gambit
03-19-09, 3:14 pm
My Toolbelt

I was about four years old when we moved into the house that I grew up in. We lived about a block away and moving was like a big adventure to me. I remember pulling my little red wagon down the sidewalk, unsure of what I was going to find, but anxious at an entirely new world opening up to me.

That summer after we moved in, my old man decided to build a deck. Being a construction worker, this wasn't as big of a challenge as one might think. He was a meticulous planner and he began to map out the deck. Being a huge baseball fan (and a helluva player, in his day) he drew up the blueprints for a deck in the shape of home plate. We go to the lumber yard, I help him load up the truck and we head home to start building.

I was more eager to start than he was. He went into the garage and came back a few minutes later with a beaten-up leather toolbelt. Remember, I was only four and not a very big kid. Took him two times to wrap it around me. Turns out, it was HIS old man's toolbelt from his carpenter days, and he gave it to my dad when my dad first started working in the ship yard. This was like a bolt of lighting to a bright-eyed little kid. I felt like a grown up construction worker.

He didn't put too many tools in the belt, for fear I might get hurt or the belt might slide off. But I had the basics: a hammer, a screwdriver, a pretty dull pocketknife, a pencil, some screws and nails, and a level. These were the bare necessities, I wanted to use to stapler, the drill...the big shiny shit. My old man kept me safe but that didn't matter to me, I got over it quick. If there was something I could do to help, I was all over it. I think my enthusiasm helped keep him enthused as well. We finished ahead of schedule and that surprised even him. He gets a big kick out of it, still, to this day, when we talk about building the deck.

It wasn't until recently that this story finally came full circle to me. I don't need anything except the bare necessities in order to build a solid structure. There's no reason for over-complicated tools or things in life, whether in be in the weight room or even in a new apartment. "Needs" are few, but important. "Wants" are the worst in us. I wanted all the shiny and important looking things when my dad and I built the deck. What I got were the bare essentials. The funny part? We could have built that deck using only the bare essentials, but my old man used the adult tools (to a four-year old) to make things easier. The result? The deck was finished ahead of time and still stands to this day. Ain't nothing wrong with some hard labor.

I was at my parents house a few days ago and I saw that toolbelt hanging up in the garage. I looked at it with amazement, even after 17 years, it still gives me chills. I asked my old man if I could hang on to it, and he gave me a funny look. He took it off the hanger and handed it to me, with a curious look in his face. I smiled from ear to ear as he handed me the toolbelt. I don't know if I could explain how this simple piece of leather taught me to be comfortable with the bare essentials to him, but I think he understood it without me saying a word.

mcbeast
03-19-09, 3:21 pm
Great words here brotha..Very true stuff.We always tend to overcomplicate things..

ghost
03-19-09, 3:24 pm
great post brother. definitely an awesome story

Gambit
03-19-09, 4:09 pm
Great words here brotha..Very true stuff.We always tend to overcomplicate things..

great post brother. definitely an awesome story

Thanks, fellas. This one's been bouncing around in my head since I hung the belt up a few days back. Just hanging there, reminding me everyday.

Gambit
03-19-09, 10:57 pm
Drank my first soda in a while. Hated it. The sugar tastes like shit.

That is all.

Did sit out on the deck at the old house, today for a while. Brought back some great memories.

Gambit
03-20-09, 2:23 pm
Us and Them

What makes us Animals? What is it that separates us from the rest of the world? Is it our animal-instincts and search for personal growth? Is it our bodies...the temple and physical manifestation of our efforts in the gym and at the dinner table? Is it our intense devotion to something that most people see as a waste of time?

I believe it's the simple fact that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than most people. By no means am I saying that makes us any better than anyone, don't get me wrong. We will never be better, the same way we can never be worse, than anyone else. We take pride in our lives and the standards we hold ourselves to living by. Never in my life, have I gotten a phone call in the middle of the night by an Animal that's been at the bar for eight hours and needs a ride home because he can hardly speak, let alone drive. Never have I ever met an Animal that didn't know his own limits. But plenty of the rest of the people in my life would fall into that category. But it's okay for them...at least, that's what the television tells them.

That can sometimes create a rift. It's difficult to digest that not everyone holds themselves to a higher standard. I'm no saint...often, I've looked at my friends having a great time at the bar while I sit drinking ginger ale, envious of their ability to let go of all inhibitions and get shit-housed at the bar, knowing that they have a DD already in the building.

I do not apologize for holding other people to a standard. My forgiveness for careless bullshit is difficult to gain. Honest mistakes? No problem, unless it is a routine. But when someone consciously makes a choice to fuck someone else over or uses someone else as a doormat? That's one of the worst things in the whole world to me.

Vaze_06
03-20-09, 4:34 pm
great post bro, can only agree with u

Gambit
03-20-09, 7:03 pm
great post bro, can only agree with u

Thanks for reading, Vaze. This shit's just been pouring out of me lately...not sure why.

machineman
03-20-09, 8:00 pm
Us and Them

What makes us Animals? What is it that separates us from the rest of the world? Is it our animal-instincts and search for personal growth? Is it our bodies...the temple and physical manifestation of our efforts in the gym and at the dinner table? Is it our intense devotion to something that most people see as a waste of time?

I believe it's the simple fact that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than most people. By no means am I saying that makes us any better than anyone, don't get me wrong. We will never be better, the same way we can never be worse, than anyone else. We take pride in our lives and the standards we hold ourselves to living by. Never in my life, have I gotten a phone call in the middle of the night by an Animal that's been at the bar for eight hours and needs a ride home because he can hardly speak, let alone drive. Never have I ever met an Animal that didn't know his own limits. But plenty of the rest of the people in my life would fall into that category. But it's okay for them...at least, that's what the television tells them.

That can sometimes create a rift. It's difficult to digest that not everyone holds themselves to a higher standard. I'm no saint...often, I've looked at my friends having a great time at the bar while I sit drinking ginger ale, envious of their ability to let go of all inhibitions and get shit-housed at the bar, knowing that they have a DD already in the building.

I do not apologize for holding other people to a standard. My forgiveness for careless bullshit is difficult to gain. Honest mistakes? No problem, unless it is a routine. But when someone consciously makes a choice to fuck someone else over or uses someone else as a doormat? That's one of the worst things in the whole world to me.

great post, bro.....I don't know if I ever told you, but it was nice to be able to chat and bs heading to and from Columbus.....it is nice for me to see that the next generation is not completely lost......keep up the hard work in all that you do, G......you KNOW I got your back!

Gambit
03-20-09, 8:26 pm
And it was great to meet you and the missus, Bob.

My generation is not completely lost... just misguided. It's my personal challenge, my cross to bear, to help open up the minds of the masses and try to teach them the value of hard work, honesty, and true courage.

Gambit
03-23-09, 7:39 pm
Burn

"You know, sometimes is hard to breathe... like there's this beast inside of me."
- Rocky Balboa

Have you ever felt like you were drowning? Ever felt like the weight of the entire world was bearing down on your shoulders, like the weight of the Sky that Atlas held? Has your life ever taken such awkward and disturbing turns that you feel like you can't go on? When the water creeps over your head, what can you do. Reach up and find the one, unchanging force... the iron.

Not too long ago, I went through some serious personal issues. I was out the gym and out of shape. I couldn't figure out what to do in my life. I was looking for answers in the wrong places. I was easily irritable. I was in a lot of fights, not just with myself, and made a lot of bad decisions. My girl almost left me and my closest friends wondered what'd become of me. Ended up with me spending the night in jail wondering what the hell had happened to me.

That's when I woke up from the hell that I was living. I rolled over and put my feet back on the real earth. I reached out and the one thing left for me to grab onto was the iron. It helped me drag my ass back out of the overbearing world and give me back my perspective. This place, this lifestyle, it's not just something I take part in, it's something that is a part of me. Looking back, I realize exactly what was fucked up in my life and it was the lack of the iron. But it was more than willing to let me back in. I gained a lot of self-identity after coming out of the whole situation. I may have neglected the Animal for a long time, but the Animal... the Beast inside of me... was just ready and eager to come back out.

And now here I am. Into the best shape I've been yet and following my dreams. This isn't just to tell you who I am... please, heed my words as a warning. Beware the pitfalls of the "other side" because it will take everything you have and leave you with nothing. Embrace the iron, because it's always willing to embrace you... no matter who you are.

Crave
03-23-09, 8:18 pm
Burn

"You know, sometimes is hard to breathe... like there's this beast inside of me."
- Rocky Balboa

Have you ever felt like you were drowning? Ever felt like the weight of the entire world was bearing down on your shoulders, like the weight of the Sky that Atlas held? Has your life ever taken such awkward and disturbing turns that you feel like you can't go on? When the water creeps over your head, what can you do. Reach up and find the one, unchanging force... the iron.

Not too long ago, I went through some serious personal issues. I was out the gym and out of shape. I couldn't figure out what to do in my life. I was looking for answers in the wrong places. I was easily irritable. I was in a lot of fights, not just with myself, and made a lot of bad decisions. My girl almost left me and my closest friends wondered what'd become of me. Ended up with me spending the night in jail wondering what the hell had happened to me.

That's when I woke up from the hell that I was living. I rolled over and put my feet back on the real earth. I reached out and the one thing left for me to grab onto was the iron. It helped me drag my ass back out of the overbearing world and give me back my perspective. This place, this lifestyle, it's not just something I take part in, it's something that is a part of me. Looking back, I realize exactly what was fucked up in my life and it was the lack of the iron. But it was more than willing to let me back in. I gained a lot of self-identity after coming out of the whole situation. I may have neglected the Animal for a long time, but the Animal... the Beast inside of me... was just ready and eager to come back out.

And now here I am. Into the best shape I've been yet and following my dreams. This isn't just to tell you who I am... please, heed my words as a warning. Beware the pitfalls of the "other side" because it will take everything you have and leave you with nothing. Embrace the iron, because it's always willing to embrace you... no matter who you are.

fuckin true that man. great post, ive been reading the thread....

Gambit
03-23-09, 8:37 pm
fuckin true that man. great post, ive been reading the thread....

Great to have you along, Crave. Thanks for readin'

Crave
03-23-09, 8:44 pm
Great to have you along, Crave. Thanks for readin'

I just read your first post again man.... cant believe how true that is. keep doin what your doin, its working

Gambit
03-23-09, 8:56 pm
I just read your first post again man.... cant believe how true that is. keep doin what your doin, its working

Geez man, you made me go back and read that post. Haha. I can't believe I wrote that over two years ago. People say that life has its ups and downs, but it's more like a fucking scary roller coasters, I guess.

I transferred from that school, and I'm no longer affiliated with that chapter of the Fraternity. Marietta College was a nice place, but now I'm back home and couldn't hardly be happier.

Crave
03-23-09, 9:05 pm
Geez man, you made me go back and read that post. Haha. I can't believe I wrote that over two years ago. People say that life has its ups and downs, but it's more like a fucking scary roller coasters, I guess.

I transferred from that school, and I'm no longer affiliated with that chapter of the Fraternity. Marietta College was a nice place, but now I'm back home and couldn't hardly be happier.

it seems like sometimes the happier we are the closer to our home it is, even if we dont have great relationships with the people back home.... i guess im just speaking for myself. just a thought.

Gambit
03-23-09, 10:45 pm
it seems like sometimes the happier we are the closer to our home it is, even if we dont have great relationships with the people back home.... i guess im just speaking for myself. just a thought.

That's pretty true sometimes, C

machineman
03-23-09, 10:50 pm
Burn

- Rocky Balboa

definitely something I can relate to, bro.....keep up the good work in and out of the gym....you know I am but a phone call away.......

ricohitman
03-24-09, 11:52 am
Fuck yeah, man. Fuck yeah.

Gambit
03-24-09, 2:37 pm
Lift the Pain

Most of the people on here know where I got this phrase. It's on a new ad and on a poster that was being given away in the Cage. When I first saw the ad in an issue of Flex..I tore it out and hung it up on my wall without thinking too hard about it. I skimmed over the words and checked out the picture, and decided it was a pretty bad ass advertisement. But the words took a while to sink it.

I was sitting there, yesterday morning, eating my breakfast in the living room. My girl was quietly snoring in the bedroom. My shoulder was aching, the smell of scrambled eggs and oatmeal was almost nauseating. The milk I was drinking, mixed with some protein powder tasted like it had a fucking turd swimming in it. Even the Pak looked insurmountable.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught something. I looked up and there was the two torn-out magazine pages, taped to my wall. Staring back at me were the words "Lift the Pain." I moved my food tray and got up to look at the poster closer. As I walked across the room, my whole body ached. I was soon eye-to-eye with the poster, it's words staring back at me. As I read it slowly, every word began to sink into the deepest parts of me.

Suddenly, nothing ached. I had no reason to be sore anymore. It was there, standing in front of the poster that I realized... there's no more glorious burden than the one I am a part of. I welcome the pain. This early morning realization has changed my complete outlook on the gym and my path. I've always had a thing for Atlas... the titan who was burdened with holding the sky above the earth. This is how I feel. Although I'm willing to take on the burden. If it will take weight off of your shoulders, please, I implore you, add it to my back.

This is my sacrifice. This is my choice. This is my cross. This is my transcendence.

firsthorseman97
03-24-09, 2:39 pm
I read this whole thread today. Good shit, G.

Gambit
03-24-09, 2:51 pm
I read this whole thread today. Good shit, G.

Hope some of it helped, Ryan. I meant what I said about the place to crash and get away.

Gambit
03-31-09, 9:43 pm
Control

You eat well today? How did your training go? You busted your ass in the gym, I bet. You choked down your clean calories, mixed countless powders like a chemist, and swallowed more than a dozen pills. You put in a hard day's work, either at the office or in the classroom. You called your ma to say you loved her, too, I bet. Oh, you didn't? That's okay. There's always tomorrow, right?

That's the illusion we're spoon-fed everyday. It hits us from every single direction on a constant basis. Everyday we're told that it's "okay" to not accomplish something today because we always have tomorrow. Didn't talk to your family today? That's okay, call tomorrow. Tell your girl how much she means to you? Nah, just do it tomorrow. But what happens if tomorrow never comes?

At some point, you have to stand up and recognize that no matter what, you really have no control over life. Sure, we work at sculpting our bodies like a statue, but we can't completely control it. No matter how hard we work, no matter how good and right the decisions we make, we're still not in control. Ever see a bolt of lightning in the sky? That's how unpredictable life can be. Turn on the news and chances are, you'll see a guy who never did a bad thing in his entire life that just had a heart attack.

Own it. The hardest thing to do in life is to cherish every moment that we're given. I've been lucky, in a way, to have some very close scrapes with my own demise. Instead of regrets, instead of despair, I was blessed with a sense of overwhelming awe. Instead of fear, I've developed a sense of power over what I see with my own eyes, as if I can control my own reality.

Although I know that it is impossible to control, there's nothing wrong with trying to control your own destiny. That's all we're really meant to do anyway. Give it your best and you will lead an extraordinary life.

Gambit
04-02-09, 9:36 pm
Mirror, Mirror

I have a complicated relationship with the mirror. Depending on the day, I'll either look in and see a giant or I'll see a skinny twig. Some days, I won't recognize the reflection staring back at me, egging me on...daring me. But it's fucked up. I know it's always me.

Ever since I really started working hard at bodybuilding, the relationship with the mirror has gotten more interesting. I bleed, busting my ass everyday in the gym and at every meal. I do the best I can to build myself a physique worth dying for, and I've actually gotten more timid about it.

When I was still at my first college, my fraternity entered me into a "Greek God" competition (without asking me first.) It was basically a best-body contest for the campus. None of them told me until about 4 days beforehand and I freaked the fuck out. I'd never done anything like that. I've actually gotten more timid and self-conscious about my body since I've started bodybuilding.

I see myself as an artist. In anything I do, I never really like to show the work in progress. Whether it was one of my novels or my films in high school, I've never been one to show anything but the finished product. That's how I feel now. The only time I peel layers back at all is when I'm in the gym. Even though I ended up winning that contest in college, it didn't mean I liked being shown off... not yet...

Out in the "real world," I'm covered up. I hide in plain sight, among mortals and also-rans. One day, when I pull a layer off, it'll be undeniable. The sculpture will never be finished, I know, because I never want it to be. I've got an entire lifetime to refine myself. So I've gotta ask....

Mirror, mirror...why do I let you fuck with my head?

Sidle
04-03-09, 12:16 pm
I feel ya bro.
I am the only one that does not drink on my campus.
People always ask why.
I don't really have a reason other than,
1. I'm a criminal justice major (caught once and i cant get a job)
2. Personal fitness is my life.
-Do you know how hard it is for people to understand that your crazy about fitness?

Also,
I have pictures of bodybuilders all over my wall in my dorm,
and supplements all over my side of the room.
I am constantly called "Gay" just because I have guys on my wall,
and it's ridiculous.
It's getting harder by the day not to kick someones ass.
People don't understand "Animal"
I feel like an outcast everyday.

machineman
04-03-09, 12:23 pm
I feel ya bro.
I am the only one that does not drink on my campus.
People always ask why.
I don't really have a reason other than,
1. I'm a criminal justice major (caught once and i cant get a job)
2. Personal fitness is my life.
-Do you know how hard it is for people to understand that your crazy about fitness?

Also,
I have pictures of bodybuilders all over my wall in my dorm,
and supplements all over my side of the room.
I am constantly called "Gay" just because I have guys on my wall,
and it's ridiculous.
It's getting harder by the day not to kick someones ass.
People don't understand "Animal"
I feel like an outcast everyday.

you have a good head and attitude, bro....let them hate....let them spew their venom because deep down they are envious of what you are and what you will become....let them be your fuel...use that fuel in the gym every day you train.....I have people around me that have been giving me shit because I have gained most of the weight back that I lost last July.....I don't care....I don't listen...why? because I know that, like Gambit said, this sculpture is nowhere near completed....I know I am carrying some extra bf....but I am not worried about it....I am working on the BIGGER picture....just keep that in your minds eye and go about your busines.....good luck and keep training hard, bro.....

Sidle
04-03-09, 12:26 pm
People don't get the Animal Gear. People think that they know everything. I love it. I love knowing that they know some, but not as much as they think. That's life.

Somebody walked up to me and wondered why I had this huge baggy hoodie on today as I warmed up in the squat rack, during the middle of my set, mind you! So I racked my weight and told him, "I bought it this way." He looked at me kinda funny. "Cause I plan on growing into this motherfucker..." And I just stared at him. He got scared and walked away.

FUCK YES. FUCK YES.
i get looked at so much when im in the gym.
i have an animal cut off and some other shirts that quite obviously dont fit me.
i have them so i can grow into them.
Gambit, i want to meet you someday.
I might have to come up to toledo,
im only about an hour away.
Im guessing you go to UT too?
Quite a lot of people from my High school go there.

Sidle
04-03-09, 12:29 pm
you have a good head and attitude, bro....let them hate....let them spew their venom because deep down they are envious of what you are and what you will become....let them be your fuel...use that fuel in the gym every day you train.....I have people around me that have been giving me shit because I have gained most of the weight back that I lost last July.....I don't care....I don't listen...why? because I know that, like Gambit said, this sculpture is nowhere near completed....I know I am carrying some extra bf....but I am not worried about it....I am working on the BIGGER picture....just keep that in your minds eye and go about your busines.....good luck and keep training hard, bro.....

Thanks man.
I use that fuel a lot. I love going to the gym late at night.
(I know a lot of people like the morning, but my body doesnt agree with that,
I feel the best at night.)
I love being the only one in the weightroom, listening to my music.
That shit about drinking pisses me off so much,
that i need the iron.
The iron is the only thing that keeps me sane.
After football/wrestling got over and I cant physically inflict pain on someone legally,
i started going crazy.
Thank god for the iron.

im currently cutting so i can get a 6 pack.
not for the girls, not for the summer,
but just because i have never had one.
i want to achieve my goal,
then start bulking again.

Sidle
04-03-09, 12:45 pm
The recent tragedy in Atlanta, Georgia really hit home to me.

a kid from bryan died on that bus.

my parents say that a girl shouldn't have large shoulder, big muscles, train with heavy weights, it's not pretty... every time i go ask my big brother (bodybuilder) for advice, best way to train... he says that girl shouldn't train like guys, that we can't push as hard as guys ( e.i. never able to work w/ 35 kilo dumbells curl biceps... but guess what big bro... it's with what i'm working right now!

there needs to be more women like you.

Heroes.

I could name my heroes and why they mean so much to me. First and foremost, Arnold Schwarzenegger. The man has the mentality that anything is possible, and through sweat and hard work, he has accomplished more than anyone ever thought.

McGrath is my hero. I feel like we have the same sort of lifestyle.
I feel like no one understands us.

I have to take a break from this thread to go to class,
but this should definitely be stickied.
Props to this thread.

Gambit
04-03-09, 1:44 pm
Sidle-

I really appreciate your support. It's great to know that my words are hitting home out there.

I attend the University of Toledo. I transferred Fall '08 from a small school called Marietta College, and it's been a strange transition for me. But overall, it's really given me a chance to bear down and really blaze my own trail. Do you go to Defiance College?

We talk a lot about strength on this FORVM, our sacred place, but it's the mental fortitude that really separates us from the average Joe.

Looking forward to you joining us at the next Toledo, ABC. We're thinking about doing it in May. Check out the thread in my sig.

Got another post rattling around in my head, I'll probably start working on it now.

Sidle
04-03-09, 3:26 pm
Yeah, I go to DC.
Freshman here this year.
I would go to Toledo,
but it's a little hard with school, ya know?
Also, I would probably feel like a bitch after I saw some of you guys.
Haha.

machineman
04-03-09, 3:30 pm
Yeah, I go to DC.
Freshman here this year.
I would go to Toledo,
but it's a little hard with school, ya know?
Also, I would probably feel like a bitch after I saw some of you guys.
Haha.

bro, it's not how much you move it is that you move the weight, period.....we have a great group of guys that showed up last month....you NEED to get you ass up here!

Sidle
04-03-09, 3:43 pm
bro, it's not how much you move it is that you move the weight, period.....we have a great group of guys that showed up last month....you NEED to get you ass up here!

I suppose man.
Are there some older people that could help teach me?
I know a few things, but you can always learn more.
Im just not much of a social butterfly I guess you could say.
I tend to be a loner, and I always lift a lone.
I do not do better with people in my ear screamin.
Think I should still come?
Plus, is it on a weekend? or perhaps thursday?
I dont have class thursday/sat/sun.

Gambit
04-03-09, 3:47 pm
I suppose man.
Are there some older people that could help teach me?
I know a few things, but you can always learn more.
Im just not much of a social butterfly I guess you could say.
I tend to be a loner, and I always lift a lone.
I do not do better with people in my ear screamin.
Think I should still come?
Plus, is it on a weekend? or perhaps thursday?
I dont have class thursday/sat/sun.

More than likely, it'll be a saturday again. And like machineman said, it isn't about the weights. I lifted on my own at the last ABC. I'm a lone wolf, too.

You should definitely come. It's a great experience and it's a lot of fun to have a meal with the fellas afterwards. I'd definitely help you with whatever I could. I ain't a big guy by any means, but I've come along way from where I started.

Sidle
04-03-09, 3:51 pm
More than likely, it'll be a saturday again. And like machineman said, it isn't about the weights. I lifted on my own at the last ABC. I'm a lone wolf, too.

You should definitely come. It's a great experience and it's a lot of fun to have a meal with the fellas afterwards. I'd definitely help you with whatever I could. I ain't a big guy by any means, but I've come along way from where I started.

as have i.
have you checked out my bodyspace in my sig.
i use to be quite a little scared girl. haha, no joke.
i just need someone to teach me how to blast my pecs.
my pecs refuse to grow, no matter how hard i try.

what really happens at this thing?
we all lift together? share roids? just jokin on the last one there.
dont i have to sign up for ABC too?
im clueless.

p.s. whats your real name gambit?

Gambit
04-03-09, 3:54 pm
as have i.
have you checked out my bodyspace in my sig.
i use to be quite a little scared girl. haha, no joke.
i just need someone to teach me how to blast my pecs.
my pecs refuse to grow, no matter how hard i try.

what really happens at this thing?
we all lift together? share roids? just jokin on the last one there.
dont i have to sign up for ABC too?
im clueless.

p.s. whats your real name gambit?

That's the real mystery; I won't tell, but I think a few guys know if you ask around.

You haven't gotta sign up or anything. Just post on the Toledo ABC thread. We lift at the same gym, some guys train together, and then we grab a meal together. Last time, we ate at a Chinese Buffet just down the street from the gym. It was a great time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Sidle
04-03-09, 3:56 pm
That's the real mystery; I won't tell, but I think a few guys know if you ask around.

You haven't gotta sign up or anything. Just post on the Toledo ABC thread. We lift at the same gym, some guys train together, and then we grab a meal together. Last time, we ate at a Chinese Buffet just down the street from the gym. It was a great time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Alright sounds good.
How many people do you think will be there?
and how much money would i need?
gym cost? food cost?

Gambit
04-03-09, 3:58 pm
Alright sounds good.
How many people do you think will be there?
and how much money would i need?
gym cost? food cost?

If we do it at the same gym, we got free passes. Just bring some cash for the food. If it's nice when we do the next one, I remember throwing the idea around with machineman about having a cookout. Check out our thread here:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=12706

Gambit
04-04-09, 4:28 pm
Thick as Thieves

"When I was a child, I thought as a child, I spoke as a child and I behaved as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things," 1 Corinthians 13:1

When I was a child, I acted like a child. I let things bother me all too much. I worried about fitting in with the crowd, having as many friends as I possibly could. My feelings were hurt when I wasn't invited somewhere or when I wasn't picked first in gym class. It lasted too long, nearly all through high school. I didn't have much self-respect for myself. My self-worth came from what I thought others thought of me.

But I woke up from that nightmare when I became enamored with the iron... The Riddle of Steel. I slowly realized that the only thing in this life that can tell me what I'm worth is me. I became uncontrollably happy and optimistic. Nothing in life really bothered me deep down, because I knew it was only a passing thing. No matter what happened, I was going to be whole.

I discovered something else, too. You really can live forever. You can become a legend. Sound unbelievable? Then it may not be your destiny to live among the history books... you gotta believe that you matter before anyone else will ever say you do.

I want to just say "Thank you" to all of you out there that will read this and take it to heart. You're making yourself better and you may not even realize it yet. This life can be crazy and hectic, but I encourage you to take everything in stride. It will be for the best.

Never be afraid, for I am with you, always. Whether in words or when I am honored with your presence, know that you will always have my council... thick as thieves.

Sidle
04-04-09, 8:41 pm
I agree man.
I have became very happy and optimistic since picking up the iron.
I use to care what other people thought too,
but not anymore.
I love being different.
When I show people pictures of Frank,
and say I want to look like that.
You know what their first reaction is,
"That's disgusting."
I can't wait.
Amen brother.

Gambit
04-05-09, 2:21 pm
Little Bombs

"Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth." - V for Vendetta

Is it your desire to become dangerous? To stand up against the grain and become a revolutionary figure? To be that salmon that fights the current downstream to the ultimate goal? To reinvigorate the ideal of individuality into the hearts of others? Do you want to become a man more dangerous than any other? It's easier than you might believe.

A man has limits. A man can be destroyed. But ideas will never die. This is why religions are thousands of years old. You'd be hard pressed to find a person that had ever shook Christ's hand or took a walk with Buddha. But that doesn't matter, what still survives is their idea... the ideals that they instilled into their followers.

The greatest strength of a man is not the strength of his back or the size of his muscles. It is in his words... in the strength of his mind. Take a look back at pictures of some of the most influential men and women in history. Most of them are not goliaths or titans, but rather smaller men. Does this make them any less mighty? Is their strength diminished because of their size? Not in the least. That is the power of words.

Every few weeks, I'll retreat into a dark place of personal solitude. I lock myself in, with only the necessities and several blank notebooks. This is a very important function to me, one that was started not by choice, but by a short incarceration. My time away from the world allows me to relight my own fires and delve deep into my psyche... the parts I cannot show to the world. I emerge days later, stubble covering my face, with my notebooks full of words. Powerful, dangerous words.

My reason for this is that I know how powerful and dangerous words can be. That's why I allow all of it to flow out of me... and for society's protection, I do it while I lock myself away from the world. Will my words one day be remembered? Maybe, maybe not. But I believe they will have an impact out there... when it's time to hear them, I will not hold back my little bombs.

Sidle
04-06-09, 1:23 am
I might have to try taking time away from everything.
It's really hard here at college, so how do you find the time/place to do it?
library?
I can't wait to see the iron tomorrow bro,
and I also can't wait to meet you at the next event.

firsthorseman97
04-06-09, 9:40 am
I definitely took your message to heart, G! Two more great posts in here. I always look forward to seeing what's going thru that head of yours.

Gambit
04-06-09, 9:43 am
I might have to try taking time away from everything.
It's really hard here at college, so how do you find the time/place to do it?
library?
I can't wait to see the iron tomorrow bro,
and I also can't wait to meet you at the next event.

How do I do it? Well, I've got my own place up here in Toledo and I don't live on campus, so if it comes to it, I can just lock up here.

Usually, I'll hop in my truck and just go for a while. When I feel satisfied, I'll find a place to stay for the weekend (like a motel.) That's when it's on.

I definitely took your message to heart, G! Two more great posts in here. I always look forward to seeing what's going thru that head of yours.

Thanks, FHM. I'm glad to hear that it made sense to you. Who knows what I'll come up with next

Vaze_06
04-06-09, 12:11 pm
can u post some of the texts u might write while being alone. interested in seeing what goes in your mind lol great post bro

Gambit
04-06-09, 2:40 pm
can u post some of the texts u might write while being alone. interested in seeing what goes in your mind lol great post bro

I'll try and dig up one of the ones that won't alert the authorities and have them lock me up for the rest of my life! haha

New one coming up... "Practical Knowledge"

Gambit
04-06-09, 3:23 pm
Practical Knowledge

This isn't your orientation...this is your disorientation. You've been orientated to believe only what you're told and to never find out anything on your own. There's no more surefire way to piss me off than to see someone told something and then accept it as gospel, without ever trying it on your own.

Ever hear of 6x Mr. Olympia winner Dorian Yates? Thought so. Ever seen how massive and thick his wheels were? Guess what exercise he didn't do. The barbell squat...the "best leg builder." They just didn't work for him. But did his wheels suffer? I sure as fuck don't think so.

My point here, is just because you're told something...doesn't mean it's true. I want you to forget everything you think you know, because in reality, it isn't that much. I've made this sacrifice and become more whole because of it. The only things I want you to believe and accept as truth are things that you've done personally.

I'll use myself as an example. The flat, barbell bench press is the bread-and-butter exercise for the chest, right? I've got long arms, makes it hard for me to put up a lot of weight on the flat bench. But ever since I started training, I relied on it, every single chest day. Nothing. My chest stayed pretty flat, but my front delts popped and my shoulders ached. I kept reading that the flat bench is the one thing you've gotta have to pop out a massive chest. So I kept trying, and my joints kept suffering.

Then one day, I decided to start off with the incline press. I'd never felt my chest as pumped as I did that day. That's when it clicked. Everything I'd been told as truths, everything I'd been spoon-fed, and force-fed was bullshit. The flat bench didn't really work my chest the way it did for everybody else. So what did I do, I swapped it out with the incline, and my chest is the biggest it's ever been because of it.

That's a long, boring story to tell you...just because it works for somebody, doesn't mean it will work for you. Unlearn everything you've been told. Rely on your own reactions to the world, to exercises, and use what works. This isn't just for the gym...this is a daily battle. You will know when something is true when you live through it.

Never be afraid to try something new. It may lead you in an entirely new and scary direction, but never be afraid. The more practical knowledge you can attain, the more likely you are to lead a good life. You will be happier than you could ever believe if you just do it for yourself...

Sidle
04-06-09, 3:45 pm
Agreed.
I just now started to stop flat benching.
That shit tears up my shoulder worse than what it already is.
Everyone is unique and different,
and they should think about that.

Gambit
04-06-09, 6:02 pm
I found a notebook from my last isolation session. I'll probably clean it up a little bit and post a blurb or two from it in here relatively shortly...

Preston
04-06-09, 9:43 pm
I found a notebook from my last isolation session. I'll probably clean it up a little bit and post a blurb or two from it in here relatively shortly...

Good idea - no body likes it dirty.

Gambit
04-07-09, 2:57 pm
"Cold again tonight. Alone in this darkness. Doubt is creeping in. Will I make it? Even my shadow isn't coming near me. The reflection is there, daring me. Haven't slept in days. Every time I dose, I dream I'm drowning. Nothing left for me. I've reached the bottom. My mind is my jail. I wonder how that kid in that New Mexico jail is. Wonder how his leg healed. Never prey on the weak. Stand up for the quiet. Broke his leg. Must always stand up for the weak. Must make myself strong so they will pick on me instead. The monster is waiting. Waiting to let him out. Can I control it this time? No. Never let the monster out. Must remain inside. Hidden. Threat to life if released again. Not strong enough to control it. Never strong enough. Must keep it fed, hidden from the world. The monster is inside of me. Always there. Waiting for my guard come down. Must never let it out."

----------------

The entries are scatter-brained like this one. I'll try and find some more.

Vaze_06
04-07-09, 7:06 pm
I'll try and dig up one of the ones that won't alert the authorities and have them lock me up for the rest of my life! haha

New one coming up... "Practical Knowledge"

What the hell!!!! Dont u dare do that!! i want THE REAL NAStY SHIT!
otherwise i aint your friend anymore =p

Gambit
04-07-09, 7:36 pm
What the hell!!!! Dont u dare do that!! i want THE REAL NAStY SHIT!
otherwise i aint your friend anymore =p

I gave you one just above your post!

I'm in the middle of typing another one up for you!

mritter3
04-07-09, 7:37 pm
that is some crazy shit G.....i like it, keep em coming.

Gambit
04-07-09, 7:38 pm
that is some crazy shit G.....i like it, keep em coming.

And that's the tame shit. I'll be pulling the venomous ones out soon enough.

Thanks for droppin' in, bub.

Gambit
04-07-09, 9:01 pm
I saw my reflection in a broken mirror.

Fuck you. Fuck your self-indulgent behaviors. Fuck beating yourself to a bloody mess in the gym. Fuck your self improvement. Fuck eating right. Fuck your life. Fuck going to a university just so you can get a dead-end job in a cubicle. Fuck not working with your hands, being a real man. Fuck your rough, calloused hands. Fuck your beat up pair of boots. Fuck your parents. Fuck owing anything to anybody. Fuck trying to help others. Fuck getting fucked over. Fuck your movie collection. Fuck your religion. No dead guy tells me what to believe. Fuck the same bullshit reruns on television that rots your fucking brains. Fuck your family. No, fuck you Gambit. You had the whole world and you threw it away.

This life came so close to never happening.

Dress this copse in his best. We only have one shot to knock ‘em dead.

You will not kill me.

Gambit
04-08-09, 3:21 pm
I called up my girlfriend the other day to find out what she wanted me to cook for dinner. She was pissed off about this or that (probably my fault) and answered her phone angrily...

"What do you want?"

My brain exploded. Nothing was spoken out loud as my mind wandered through the whole galaxy...what do I want...

What do I want....

To exist...

I couldn't say anything out loud and she hung up angrily after saying some obscenities. Hey, if she didn't want the answer, she shouldn't have asked the question...

ghost
04-08-09, 4:08 pm
that's awesome.. great answer. lol.

Preston
04-08-09, 7:46 pm
I called up my girlfriend the other day to find out what she wanted me to cook for dinner. She was pissed off about this or that (probably my fault) and answered her phone angrily...

"What do you want?"

My brain exploded. Nothing was spoken out loud as my mind wandered through the whole galaxy...what do I want...

What do I want....

To exist...

I couldn't say anything out loud and she hung up angrily after saying some obscenities. Hey, if she didn't want the answer, she shouldn't have asked the question...

Oh geeze...lol you were asking for that.

that's awesome.. great answer. lol.

Yeah that's great if you like being disowned for a while. lol

Gambit
04-08-09, 8:11 pm
Thanks, Rob. Luckily, I said it out loud after she hung up.

And Preston... never let them tell you who the man is!

mritter3
04-08-09, 8:27 pm
I like it G, whoooaaa the broken mirror one....all i can say is....fuck. and yeah never let them tell you who's the man, nicely spoken.

Preston
04-08-09, 8:37 pm
There's a fine line between the two Gambit - and I think you know that. There's a saying that a lot follow which can carry you through a relationship....agree to disagree.

Gambit
04-10-09, 8:39 pm
Demons

Everywhere. Watching. Constantly. Always hiding, just out of sight. They are waiting for us. Just waiting for us to lose a step, to slip and fall. Waiting to destroy every facet that we've tried to build. Preying on our mortality.

Our demons wait so that when we stumble, they reach out with open arms. Our lives are more dangerous than walking a tightrope.

It's days like today when I think back to my childhood, the good and bad parts. I was a twig, and I got picked on quite a bit. I grew up tough. Had a lot of scraps as a kid. Won some, lost some. When I was a kid, I was a powderkeg... always ready to go off if I was insulted.

As I've gotten older, I've calmed down. But that fiery kid is still inside of me. These days, whenever somebody insults me, that kid still wants to throw fists. But I don't. I've learned to control myself and just calm down. But that kid will always be a demon inside.

No matter what you've gone through, no matter what you will go through, you must learn to keep your demons at bay. Mine are constantly speaking to me, telling me how to live my life. But I have learned to ignore them. Our demons want us to fail. Our demons want to destroy us. But we cannot. We must not. Never surrender. Never give in to your demons.

Sidle
04-10-09, 11:31 pm
i like it.

My demons get me sometimes,
just the other day i almost fought someone. =\

Gambit
04-12-09, 10:17 pm
Hatred.
My mind's like a waiting room for hell.

Heart pounding. Sweat dripping. Eyes closed.

All I see around me are empty shells, broken dreams, worthless causes. People that never gave it their all. People that didn't go for the win. People that were content with remaining stagnant. People that believe "stuff" will solve every problem. People that refuse to put down the shitty foods and TV remote. People that have no idea how to raise a child, birthing quintuplets. People that cannot will themselves to change. People that will die.

Our teachings must live on. We must forever better ourselves through every possible facet. We must push ourselves beyond the physical realm and transcend this moment. Our world is, in fact, spiraling into nonexistence, but it is within our power to become the strongest men to have ever lived.

Stand with me, my brothers. I will never let us fall.

machineman
04-13-09, 12:14 pm
good shit, G...never forget, bro...just a phone call away.....

mritter3
04-13-09, 1:01 pm
those last 2 were pretty sweet, especially the one about the demons, i too was picked on as a little scrawny kid, and believe me he always wants to show his face but i don't let him, i too have learned to keep him inside and behind the locked door.

Gambit
04-13-09, 3:54 pm
good shit, G...never forget, bro...just a phone call away.....

Thanks, Bob. You're a great fella, one I'm proud to know is near.

those last 2 were pretty sweet, especially the one about the demons, i too was picked on as a little scrawny kid, and believe me he always wants to show his face but i don't let him, i too have learned to keep him inside and behind the locked door.

Thanks, Matt. It's tough sometimes to beat them down, but such is life. If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it.

Gambit
04-13-09, 6:52 pm
Declaration of War

For too long, the status quo has been obeyed without question. For too long, people have tolerated “good enough.” For too long, my brothers, we have been stagnant. No more. I simply cannot allow it to be tolerated any longer.

I’m talking about a revolution.

It happened overnight. I pulled my hooded sweatshirt on and walked into the cold, dark night. I walked out into the darkness in order to escape my binds. In the cover of darkness, I allowed myself to wander, through a world without time.

I will never be able to share with you exactly what I learned in the darkness that night. I knew that I must travel into the dark in order to find the light within myself. Dangerous. Terrible things lay before us. This world that we live in is dead to me. I destroyed that part of me and I’ve been reborn.

This burden that I’ve bestowed upon myself is heavy, but at what cost? I will happily take your weight upon my shoulders as we march into the river together. I will never let you fall. I am willingly allowing my sacrifice. Let it not be in vain.

Vaze_06
04-14-09, 12:45 pm
I gave you one just above your post!

I'm in the middle of typing another one up for you!

indeeed... finally had time to read them.. thank u :)

Gambit
04-16-09, 10:16 pm
Miracle

The stars were out and bright last night. I climbed up onto the roof and sat, looking up for hours. I knew that staying up late last night was going to take its toll today, but that didn’t matter. I had a lot that I needed to sort out.

I went up there to think about just how fragile life really is. When I stare at the stars and try to picture them up close, thinking about how we’re just a speck of dust to the rest of what’s out there, it’s a reality check for me. That’s why I do it on occasion. To remind myself that everything is so frail and fragile that it must be taken care of and properly handled. It can be taken away before you can even blink your eyes.

When I look up there, all I could really think of is the astronomical odds that we’re even sitting here. Can you truly comprehend just how much of the universe is stacked against us in creation?

Why do I think about stuff like this? We’re handed this gift… and it’s been squandered by so many. You’ve got to do it for yourself… do what you love and love what you do. Give yourself a good, happy life. Surround yourself with people you love to be around. Besides, it’s our choice to live well.

Not all of us have this choice. A friend that I grew up with was recently sentenced to life imprisonment. He made his choices and he’ll be the first to admit it. But knowing that our lives can be snatched from us in an instant…that’s a scary thing thought. So do your best to take full advantage of every moment that you have. You owe it to yourself. Take advantage, because you’re a part of the miracle.

machineman
04-17-09, 11:58 am
Miracle

The stars were out and bright last night. I climbed up onto the roof and sat, looking up for hours. I knew that staying up late last night was going to take its toll today, but that didn’t matter. I had a lot that I needed to sort out.

I went up there to think about just how fragile life really is. When I stare at the stars and try to picture them up close, thinking about how we’re just a speck of dust to the rest of what’s out there, it’s a reality check for me. That’s why I do it on occasion. To remind myself that everything is so frail and fragile that it must be taken care of and properly handled. It can be taken away before you can even blink your eyes.

When I look up there, all I could really think of is the astronomical odds that we’re even sitting here. Can you truly comprehend just how much of the universe is stacked against us in creation?

Why do I think about stuff like this? We’re handed this gift… and it’s been squandered by so many. You’ve got to do it for yourself… do what you love and love what you do. Give yourself a good, happy life. Surround yourself with people you love to be around. Besides, it’s our choice to live well.

Not all of us have this choice. A friend that I grew up with was recently sentenced to life imprisonment. He made his choices and he’ll be the first to admit it. But knowing that our lives can be snatched from us in an instant…that’s a scary thing thought. So do your best to take full advantage of every moment that you have. You owe it to yourself. Take advantage, because you’re a part of the miracle.

good shit, G.....

Gambit
04-20-09, 8:24 pm
Stayed up late last night. Alone in the dark. Again. Been at war with myself for the last few days. Having a hard time coping with some things that I need to live with. Because they will not change.

Life is war. Never compromising, never caring who you are or what you've done. It will drop you to your knees if you are weak. You must understand that no matter who you are, you will never know what's going to happen or how anything is going to happen.

But never despair. Walk with your head up and meet life head-on. Stand up to adversity. Find something worth giving your life for. Find anything you can in life and do it to the best of your ability. Own your own life. Don't look to anyone else for anything.

Trust the one motherfucker in the world that you can trust... yourself. You won't be disappointed if you bust your ass and never give up.

You might actually start to live a little...

Sidle
04-20-09, 8:57 pm
Gambit, keep your head up bro.
I love your writing.
Everyday I read this it makes me feel better.

Gambit
04-30-09, 5:39 pm
update very soon. this time away from the iron has been really fucking with my head... and I'm damn sure this cold isn't helping either.

Gambit
05-01-09, 9:29 pm
Saints and Sinners

Which one am I? Many of us has asked ourselves...haven't we? That's the scary part of life...

We are both, my friends. Within us is both the ability to be a saint and to be a sinner... we are both friends and foes to one another, among ourselves.

Just a teaser... just wait till you read the rest :-D

mritter3
05-01-09, 9:40 pm
Saints and Sinners

Which one am I? Many of us has asked ourselves...haven't we? That's the scary part of life...

We are both, my friends. Within us is both the ability to be a saint and to be a sinner... we are both friends and foes to one another, among ourselves.

Just a teaser... just wait till you read the rest :-D

so far so good....lets hear the rest.

Gambit
05-22-09, 11:01 pm
Just wanted to tell everyone that I am still around. Still unforgiven. Still Gambit.

Been working hard on a new short story. Can't always help it when the inspiration bug gets a hold of you. I don't mind. Fill up four full composition books already and I've barely hit my stride...turns out it may be a pretty long short story in the end.

Had to do a little soul-searching in the last few days. Found something I liked. Found some stuff I didn't like. Took that part of me into the desert and buried it, with another thousand souls.

Look for a new entry by the end of the weekend.

Preston
05-22-09, 11:26 pm
Hey bro, glad you're getting your head straight! You don't need all of that non-sense fucking up your taining. Keep your self together bro.

I made an addition to mine also bro...check that shit.

Vaze_06
05-23-09, 12:53 am
u lazy ass, u just copy/paste..... lol
hope everything is good for ya

Gambit
05-24-09, 12:55 am
The world is dying

Vaze_06
05-24-09, 9:43 am
The world is dying

LMAO!!!....... (sorry mentally burn, almost done...almost done...)

tho.. Come On!!!!!! ..... its kinda... a lil bit.... reallly... Obvious?!
its almost like saying ''Chicken has a lot of proteins''..... :)
really have to be living in a cave, cut from civilization to Not acknowledge the fact we are screwing over our planet....

bring on the writing :]

mritter3
05-24-09, 11:23 am
Just wanted to tell everyone that I am still around. Still unforgiven. Still Gambit.

Been working hard on a new short story. Can't always help it when the inspiration bug gets a hold of you. I don't mind. Fill up four full composition books already and I've barely hit my stride...turns out it may be a pretty long short story in the end.

Had to do a little soul-searching in the last few days. Found something I liked. Found some stuff I didn't like. Took that part of me into the desert and buried it, with another thousand souls.

Look for a new entry by the end of the weekend.

looking forward to it G, short story huh, sounds cool.

Gambit
05-24-09, 8:03 pm
Deserted

I vaguely mentioned in an earlier post that I've been fighting some personal demons lately. Things that cannot be changed, and yet, here I sit, struggling. It's just not in my genetics to give up the fight. No matter what it is, I cannot give up fighting. I go in, guns-blazing, every single time...but that can also become an opening to my enemy if I am not careful.

Been doing a lot of thinking about the world. About people. About what it means to be a man. About fate. We are capable of amazing things, but can you honestly tell me that you have never squandered an opportunity? It honestly doesn't matter, because if you are reading this, then you are alive. You have made the right choices. Maybe not the best choices, but the right ones.

During this last week, I've smoked a lot of cigarettes and shook my head a lot. Quit shaving. Buzzed my hair off yesterday. Written what may become my second novel. Got a chance to spend a lot of time with my blood-brother, contemplating the meaning of life. Also got a good chance to refocus on my efforts in the gym. A beaten-up body and jury duty has caused me to be away from the iron since the Toledo ABC last Saturday (5.16) but I have had a chance to figure out what I'm trying to do.

In reality, it's simple.

Survive.

Vaze_06
05-24-09, 8:28 pm
Maybe not the best choices, but the right ones.

Ah, that made me smile....
spend hours trying to understand and analyze what might be those ''best'' or ''right'' choice. why people make those choices.. tho in reality its all bullshit. there isnt a right or wrong choice. Right/Wrong; thats a concept we created so the universe doesnt turn into chaos. a standard so we dont kill each other.... what may seem right to one may not be for another... bottom line, we make choices to live longer or get screwed over less by people. anyways getting lost in my thought here

great post bro, tho u better quit those cigarettes young man! lol

welcome back into our madness

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-24-09, 9:47 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice!!!

Gambit
07-22-09, 11:48 am
Damn, been a while since I been in here. Look for a new one tonight.

Gambit
07-26-09, 10:32 pm
Have you ever lost a battle? Sure you have. You lick your wounds and get back up or just chalk it up to fate? It's only down to one person whether you live or you die...and that's up to you.

I preach a lot in here about self-reliance and self-identity. But there's a reason for that. No matter what happens, it's up to you. From the very moment we're pushed out, we're on our own. Once your taught how to do something, you're expected to go out and do it on your own. Remember when the training wheels came off your bike? Your parents wanted you to be out there, riding the wheels off. It wasn't up to anybody else anymore.

That's what it all comes down to. Doing it yourself. People can only help you so far, but you've gotta take the training wheels off and give it everything you have. If you don't, you're never going to get anywhere...

Gambit
10-28-09, 11:27 am
The End is Where We Begin

Had a dream last night that I was standing in a dark tunnel. The kind of tunnel one sees in shitty zombie movies. With dark, wet concrete in a semi-circle above me, faint light from incandescent bulbs hanging above me, I could see the damp blacktop below my feet. As I looked around me, I noticed that the ground was moving, pushing me like a conveyor belt towards the open end of the tunnel; into the light.

I could see a figure standing in the opening, obstructing the light. As the ground below me crept closer, I could see the hooded figure, waiting with open arms. I turned around and tried my hardest to run back into the the tunnel, but to no avail. The harder I tried to run away from death, the more tired and beaten I felt. I fell to my knees and wondered why this was happening to me.

And then it hit me. I stood up and held my head high. I turned around and grinned at the hooded figure at the end of the tunnel. Somewhere deep down I finally figured it all out...

The sooner we accept our mortality, the sooner we can embrace our vitality.

Mr. Dead
11-16-09, 5:31 pm
Some great stuff in here!!! Can't wait to read more!!!

Gambit
11-16-09, 6:40 pm
Drift Away

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I opened them… I was reclined in a chaise lounge looking out on the waves. My feet were lying in the sand and a glass of lemonade perspired in my hand. The sun was beating down on me and I tasted the cold glass against my lips. I sat the drink down, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath.

When I opened them, I was back to reality. I was thirty-six minutes into a forty-five minute session on the bike. I was looking through sweaty eyes and wiping my brow just about every minute. My tattered tee shirt was soaked through with my sweat, and my hooded sweatshirt was heavy with my perspiration. I looked up to the ceiling fan that wasn’t running, even although it was about ninety-six degrees in the gym. I had dozens of people in the gym giving me looks like I was too intense during my session. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

I opened my eyes. I was sitting in my apartment, staring at my laptop and a blank Word file. My school books are piled up beside me and Bach’s Suite No.1 Prelude in G Major blasted from my ipod. I looked longingly towards my comfy chair and my xbox controller, wishing I could just skip what I knew I needed to finish. I reached for my sugar-free Red Bull, upset to find it empty before I break the top on a new can. I locked my fingers together and cracked my knuckles. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

When I close my eyes, I’m holding my cell phone in a dark room, staring at the screen. A new friend, a very special person, had just told me that everything had been a lie. I had been being used to hurt another person and I was completely oblivious. I felt like that text message had stuck a knife into my lungs and the slow, painful escaping air was the most unbearable pain that I could ever feel. All I could do is close my eyes and take a deep breath.

My eyes open as the bike begins beeping frantically. I had ridden for over fifty-six minutes. The deep stink of sweat pierced my nose and stung my eyes. I stood up slowly, unsure of the power left in my legs. But I stood up and didn’t wobble. I walked towards the exit and took a sharp breath when the cold air penetrated my lungs. I pulled my hood up as I walked towards my truck, towards the rest of the world. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath…

Firedrake
11-16-09, 7:03 pm
whuf!

That's a powerful series of images and feelings. Makes one wonder where you really were. <grin>

I'm afraid it -sounds- like the moment with the cellphone and the text was one of the "real" moments involved.

Mr. Dead
11-16-09, 7:13 pm
whuf!

That's a powerful series of images and feelings. Makes one wonder where you really were. <grin>

I'm afraid it -sounds- like the moment with the cellphone and the text was one of the "real" moments involved.

I have to admit... That was my impression, as well...

Gambit
11-16-09, 9:49 pm
whuf!

I have to admit... That was my impression, as well...

I just want everyone to remember the power and necessity of personal reflection. Always take the time to remember why you are where you are and what it took to get there. And never lose track of where you are headed...

Demikus
12-12-09, 4:55 am
subbed.

NJC_Manhattan
12-17-09, 1:13 pm
Word. Real talk

mritter3
12-17-09, 1:44 pm
I just want everyone to remember the power and necessity of personal reflection. Always take the time to remember why you are where you are and what it took to get there. And never lose track of where you are headed...

well said G

Gambit
01-23-10, 10:51 pm
Read this, print it out, and read it every goddamn day. Then read it again.

"When you're lost in the Wild, and you're scared as a child,
And Death looks you bang in the eye,
And you're sore as a boil, it's according to Hoyle
To cock your revolver and . . . die.
But the Code of a Man says: "Fight all you can,"
And self-dissolution is barred.
In hunger and woe, oh, it's easy to blow . . .
It's the hell-served-for-breakfast that's hard.

"You're sick of the game!" Well, now, that's a shame.
You're young and you're brave and you're bright.
"You've had a raw deal!" I know -- but don't squeal,
Buck up, do your damnedest, and fight.
It's the plugging away that will win you the day,
So don't be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit; it's so easy to quit:
It's the keeping-your-chin-up that's hard.

It's easy to cry that you're beaten -- and die;
It's easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight --
Why, that's the best game of them all!
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try -- it's dead easy to die,
It's the keeping-on-living that's hard."

Gambit
07-15-10, 12:18 am
No one is innocent in this.

mritter3
07-15-10, 8:05 am
some powerful stuff there G...thanks for posting that.

Gambit
07-15-10, 12:42 pm
Isn't it funny the way it is when we know how it should be?

We bitch about slow drivers even though they are actually going the speed limit. We dine out while we know someone is going hungry. We laugh while children somewhere are crying. The hottest song on the radio was written after the songwriter got her heart broken. It's considered artistic to paint an entire canvas blue.

It's funny because we all do this. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing or preaching, but the thing is, we have to consciously think about the bad and not the good.

Don't become negative, but just time some time today to remember how lucky we really are to have the choice between something as simple as 1% and 2% milk, I implore you.

Preston
02-24-11, 2:07 pm
Isn't it funny the way it is when we know how it should be?

We bitch about slow drivers even though they are actually going the speed limit. We dine out while we know someone is going hungry. We laugh while children somewhere are crying. The hottest song on the radio was written after the songwriter got her heart broken. It's considered artistic to paint an entire canvas blue.

It's funny because we all do this. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing or preaching, but the thing is, we have to consciously think about the bad and not the good.

Don't become negative, but just time some time today to remember how lucky we really are to have the choice between something as simple as 1% and 2% milk, I implore you.

Where have you gone?

Gambit
06-24-11, 1:18 pm
Shadow on the Wall

He stood there, in thunderstorms and in sunshine
hidden in an alcove away from the beat cops.

Against cracked plywood boarding up an abandoned disco
where no one had entered in at least fifteen years.

He stood there, in stark contrast to the faded particle board,
the man in full black clothes and a pair of black wings.

I wondered how long he had been standing watch of the passersby
and exactly who spray-painted him into existence.

Why does the message stick in my brain?
Why worry when that shadow figure in London is always there?

He gives me the hope that one day I can explain why:
“This revolution is for display purposes only.”

Preston
03-23-12, 5:10 pm
BUMP

Where are you homie.

Gambit
04-02-15, 8:16 pm
If you're only killing time, it'll kill you right back

Gambit
04-02-18, 11:04 pm
Goddamn. I never thought I'd come back to this place, this haven for the like minded.

Where do I start? How can I start? I feel like old guard and a newb all at the same time.

Fuck that.

Times change, people change. Circumstances change. I am so different from my last posts!

I have a beautiful son! Holy crap!

I'm still in the Glass City. My town is Toledo. I love it here.

Umm, there's so much more I can and will start to explain.

Let me just leave you with this...

I am Gambit. I will always call your bluff

Jay Nera
05-27-18, 12:33 am
Drift Away

When I close my eyes, I’m holding my cell phone in a dark room, staring at the screen. A new friend, a very special person, had just told me that everything had been a lie. I had been being used to hurt another person and I was completely oblivious. I felt like that text message had stuck a knife into my lungs and the slow, painful escaping air was the most unbearable pain that I could ever feel. All I could do is close my eyes and take a deep breath.

Dude...heavy.