PDA

View Full Version : The Mind Game: Panzer's Progress

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

panzerwagen
03-26-08, 2:39 pm
This thread is going to be sort of a log book regarding my training. It will contain random entries, as well as the little journeys I happen to engage in every now and then. Right now I'm not striving for any specific goal; I just want to eat healthy and do my thing in the gym. I will, however, begin on of them little journeys quite soon - The first stage of my plan is this:

Step One - Maintaining the level of high intensity training that I do right now (2 days on, 1 day off: day 1 = back, chest, shoulders, arms / day 2 = legs, abs / day 3 = rest - repeat! The workouts last about 45 minutes, maximum 1 hour! In this short time I barely rest in order to be able to go through the bodyparts I need to train that day). I also want to eat right, with but ONE cheating day a week!

Step Two - Making sure to lose a few pounds of body fat (maybe 2-4 lbs)

When I feel good about these things I'll try my first cycle of M-Stak - ever! This is when my little journey begins for real. Since I rarely use performance supplements ( I only eat the Pak, omega 3, and whey), it's going to be really interesting to see what the M-Stak can do for me. I've been training on such high levels of intensity the last few months, making good progress without creatine or anything similar, and I'll use this supplement as the last bit of spark to fire up what I'm doing, and hopefully reach yet another level in this mind game.

Does anyone have opinions on how much more to eat while cycling the M-Stak? I've heard I'm supposed to eat a shitload of food, but I would appreciate a few more opinions on this! And please, by all means, post other points of view regarding M-Stak or anything else.

Well, this seems to be a little journey after all.. I'll get back to you when I'm about to try the M-stak, or whenever I feel I need to share some experience that I had in the gym.

panzerwagen
03-28-08, 6:50 am
Today is leg day.. when I left for the gym my legs still hurt from the previous leg session I had three days ago. I went ahead and did it all the same.. but it was kind of tough getting there. As I keep my workouts short and highly intense, I don't have much time to do what I want to do in the gym. 45 minutes is what I aim at.. sometimes I let an hour pass, because I just can't stop training.. because it feels so great play the mind game! Today's session allowed about 10 minutes of squats. Feeling sore and all, I managed to squeeze in 7 sets for the quads:

(bodyweight 75-76kg)

100kg x 9 reps
100kg x 8 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 6 reps
100kg x 4 reps

Afterwards, while hitting seated calf raises, I did 3 light sets of wide stance squats w/ 60kg - all basically to faliure (I don't squat to faliure without a spotter). Due to the soreness in my calves and hamstrings, I was too weak to make anything really intense out of it; I just did a few strict sets to get a pump and let some blood flush through the muscles. About 10 minutes of abdominal training followed leg training, and then a 10 minute slow jog back home. Anyway, this made a fairly good session of quick quad training, but I wish I'd felt better and more energized this morning. I suppose you can't get away with this if your legs already feel fucked up when you start off to the gym.

Boz
03-28-08, 8:07 am
Today is leg day.. when I left for the gym my legs still hurt from the previous leg session I had three days ago. I went ahead and did it all the same.. but it was kind of tough getting there. As I keep my workouts short and highly intense, I don't have much time to do what I want to do in the gym. 45 minutes is what I aim at.. sometimes I let an hour pass, because I just can't stop training.. because it feels so great play the mind game! Today's session allowed about 10 minutes of squats. Feeling sore and all, I managed to squeeze in 7 sets for the quads:

(bodyweight 75-76kg)

100kg x 9 reps
100kg x 8 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 7 reps
100kg x 6 reps
100kg x 4 reps

Afterwards, while hitting seated calf raises, I did 3 light sets of wide stance squats w/ 60kg - all basically to faliure (I don't squat to faliure without a spotter). Due to the soreness in my calves and hamstrings, I was too weak to make anything really intense out of it; I just did a few strict sets to get a pump and let some blood flush through the muscles. About 10 minutes of abdominal training followed leg training, and then a 10 minute slow jog back home. Anyway, this made a fairly good session of quick quad training, but I wish I'd felt better and more energized this morning. I suppose you can't get away with this if your legs already feel fucked up when you start off to the gym.

Hey bro, your legs were still hurting because you are not getting enough rest between workouts. It's been said on here many times, you don't grow in the gym. That's where we break it down so we can grow while eating and resting. The intensity you bring is comendable, but you have got to make sure that you are getting enough rest. Is there any particular reason you are cramming all of your workouts into two days? There are many splits on here that would give you the rest you need while fitting into your schedule, because you are still lifting 5 days a week on your current schedule.

panzerwagen
03-28-08, 1:13 pm
Hey bro, your legs were still hurting because you are not getting enough rest between workouts. It's been said on here many times, you don't grow in the gym. That's where we break it down so we can grow while eating and resting. The intensity you bring is comendable, but you have got to make sure that you are getting enough rest. Is there any particular reason you are cramming all of your workouts into two days? There are many splits on here that would give you the rest you need while fitting into your schedule, because you are still lifting 5 days a week on your current schedule.

Hey! Thanks for the points of veiw. I am aware of everything you say. I do hold rest as a very important issue in this game, and I've tried many different ways and routines ever since I happened to engage in the iron way. Lately, however, my interest has been the "intensity/insanity" way of approaching bodybuilding (there are articles on this on animalpak.com, written by John DeFendis), an idea that former bodybuilding champion Steve Michalik made the most of. Steve's philosophies contradict some ideas that many of us hold as true (regarding overtrainig, among other things), but I figured I'd try to approach his way of doing it to see if something positive happens! In Steve's (and in the training systems of old-school bodybuilding as well), training a certain bodypart/week is not enough if one wants to develop.. the body has to tormented into a "survival" state. That's why I train like I do. And I can tell you - I feel better than ever, and I'm developing. Hell, I haven't even used creatine for a long time - still I manage to go all the way.

I suppose I should write a few lines and post a more detailed outline on how I train and how I have responded to it?

Boz
03-28-08, 2:17 pm
No problem brother. As far as the rest and your routine goes, if its working for you than keep at it. Only you can tell if you've had the proper rest. Keep us posted on how its working. Peace.

panzerwagen
04-06-08, 12:15 pm
Allright. Today's my birthday, which means I've eaten a lot of crap and I feel totally strange from all the damn sugar. I just got home from the gym.. today was leg day again. Third time this week I did legs, and I'm very tired in my quads and my feet (?). The squat session was quite intense; I did supersets with leg press / light front squats. I believe it fucked me up fairly good!

So, from tomorrow I'll aim at letting in more cardio and a stricter diet into my game. I see it as a preparation before I try out the M-Stak. I want to make my routine as intense and insane as possible before I use supplements like that. Because if I keep the quality and level of the diet and workouts as high as possible without taking any potent supplements (such as M-Stak), I will get the most out of using it and also sense how my body responds to it in a greater way.

I'll get back to you soon enough.

panzerwagen
04-07-08, 7:14 am
Today is off-day.. resting for a day, just to face the intensity of tomorrow's workout. As far as being a "good" boy, I started the day with a 45 minute walk before breakfast. Food intake has also been good so far.. Maybe I'll do some more cardio later in the evening, if time allows for it to happen.

panzerwagen
04-07-08, 1:09 pm
There will be no more cardio today.. I believe. I went to the chiropractor this afternoon, and I feel a bit messed up from the treatment. Today's food intake is still good!

It was an interesting visit at the chiropractor (he's also a masseur). He told me a lot of useful stuff I haven't even considered of before. Among other things, we talked about abdominal training, and he had several good points in this discussion. As for any muscle, it can only contract to a certain point of maximum contraction. I haven't realised that when doing sit-ups for example, the abdominals are already fully contracted quite early in the movement (if one performs the movoment correctly) - the rest of the movement toward the thighs, is just a waste of energy if you want to focus on abdominals ONLY - after a certain point, the muscles in the hip area kick in without further contraction of the abs. So, I believe a shorter, more strict, movement is recommended if one wants to focus on abs only. And do not forget to give the obliques som attention as well!

panzerwagen
04-11-08, 1:31 pm
As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm into high intensity training. This type of training doesn't really allow me to use the heaviest weights during a workout, but that's ok, because I'm not a powerlifter anyway. Still, the training sessions turn out to be more of a mind game. So here's what I do on a typical workout:

My workouts follow a three-day cycle; 2 days on / 1 day off - REPEAT

Day 1: chest/shoulders/back/arms
Day 2: legs/abs
Day 3: rest

I always aim for 45 minute workouts, and training such a big part of your body in such short time demands high intensity, because I don't want to train for too long due to catabolism etc.. Sometimes I have to give it a little bit more time though. This means a lot of supersets, tri-sets and giant sets! The idea is to let the muscle suffer the highest stress possible during the shortest amount of time. (I got this idea from reading articles about former bodybuilding champion Steve Michalik)

First thing is a PROPER warm-up. I always jog to the gym - it takes me a little less than 10 minutes. When I get there I stretch and warm up my abs and back. Second thing - I always do about three or four sets of warm-up for the designated muscle group.

Example of a Day 1 workout:

Chest: 3-4 tri-sets (incline dumbbell press/incline bench/cable cross) all to positive faliure

Shoulders: 4-6 tri-sets (seated dumbbell press/dumbbell lateral raise/cable lateral raise) after this I might add excessive cable raises + light overhead press w/ barbell

Back: 3-4 supersets (cable rows/close grip pulldown); 5-6 sets of barbell rows

Arms: Biceps - 3 supersets (heavy barbell curls/dumbbell curls); 4 sets of hammer curls. Triceps - 3-4 tri-sets (scull crushers/dips/rope press-down); Forearms - 4-5 supersets (wrist curls/overhand barbell curls)

When the session is over, I jog back home.

This is what I might do on a typical Day 1 workout. However, time and energy levels don't always allow for this to happen - sometimes even more is done! In between the sets, I often warm up the next muscle group to save time. The rest-time I take between the sets varies depending on muscle group, but I strive to keep it really short. These are not the only exercises I chose to do my thing. I try to use a variation of exercises, and as an example of this, sometime every week my back training includes chins and dead lifts.

... ... ...

I'll provide a Day 2 workout sample later on.. Thanks for reading this stuff!

panzerwagen
04-12-08, 7:04 am
After having warmed up I might do like this on a Day 2 workout:

Quads: 3-4 supersets (leg extensions in groups of 3*/leg press); sometimes I end the session with a drop set on the leg press.

* I try to work 3 sets to faliure with very little rest in between - I approach the next set when the pain from the previous set starts to fade away.

Calves: 3-4 sets of calf raises in the hack-lift - all sets performed in groups of 3*; sometimes I finish it off with a few quick sets of toe raises.

Hamstrings: 3-5 supersets (straight leg deadlifts/leg curl)

Abs: various exercises done in super- tri- and giant sets. Regular sit-ups and broom stick are often included.

As always, I aim to do this in about 45 minutes.

... ... ...

Carpe Diem P.T
04-12-08, 7:18 am
good to see you are warming up properly and good luck with the body fat loss bro! its a tough one. good luck!

panzerwagen
04-12-08, 7:27 am
good to see you are warming up properly and good luck with the body fat loss bro! its a tough one. good luck!

Thanks a lot mate! This is just a minor fat loss I've got going, and I also want to optimize the intensity and effectiveness of my training before I move on to use the M-Stak. I'll start in about a week, and I'm real curious to see what happens!

Have you tried the M-Stak? If so, do you have any recommendations regarding diet and training?

Carpe Diem P.T
04-12-08, 7:36 am
Thanks a lot mate! This is just a minor fat loss I've got going, and I also want to optimize the intensity and effectiveness of my training before I move on to use the M-Stak. I'll start in about a week, and I'm real curious to see what happens!

Have you tried the M-Stak? If so, do you have any recommendations regarding diet and training?

no m stak yet. i have only just found a universal supplier in my country today :)

panzerwagen
04-12-08, 7:48 am
no m stak yet. i have only just found a universal supplier in my country today :)

Damn.. Great thing! I hope they offer a wide selection of stuff.. I go for the Pak and Nitro on a daily basis.. it's a good supplement foundation I believe.

Carpe Diem P.T
04-12-08, 7:52 am
Damn.. Great thing! I hope they offer a wide selection of stuff.. I go for the Pak and Nitro on a daily basis.. it's a good supplement foundation I believe.

what do you find it does for you?

panzerwagen
04-12-08, 1:25 pm
what do you find it does for you?

First of all, as they all say, the Pak is a good daily fundament when it comes to vitamins, minerals and stuff like that. And since I started using Nitro, I feel I have developed in the right direction muscular-wise, which might be due to better better recovery as well as a nice supply of aminos.

panzerwagen
04-17-08, 12:48 pm
Ok. Felt like shit when I woke up today. I rarely sleep well, but this morning was bad.. and my body felt like shit.. in other words - time to take a few days off! I went to the gym anyway, just to get pumped, to flush some blood through the muscles. I'll do the same thing tomorrow morning, then take two entire days off. So, after a few days of rest, monday will be a good day to finally try out the Animal M-Stak.. I'm looking forward to experience what this stuff can do for me!

Cheers

Carpe Diem P.T
04-17-08, 5:38 pm
sounds like a good time for a rest! funny to be called mate by a swede. whats the go there?

panzerwagen
04-19-08, 1:33 pm
sounds like a good time for a rest! funny to be called mate by a swede. whats the go there?

Of course I have to call you mate.. and since I'm studying to be an English teacher, it's my job to keep an eye on how to use this darn language properly (but of course I make mistakes language wise all the time).

I think you have to explain to me exactly what "whats the go" means.

panzerwagen
04-21-08, 12:20 pm
Just got home from a decent back workout. I'm altering my routine for two cycles this week, doing a more common 4-day split instead. I need to get back on track after a few days of rest and because I've been feeling kind of bad during the weekend - my stomach's been fucked up and I've been feeling really out of balance. A good thing is that I was going to rest this weekend anyway. Still, due to these bad feelings, I didn't start my firtst cycle of M-Stak today. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow if I feel better!

Today's workout included:

4 Supersets of cable rows/close grip pulldowns
3 regular sets of barbell rows + 2 sets in groups of 3
4 light sets of dumbbell shrugs (while waiting for another guy to finish up with his deadlifts)
5 sets of deadlifts
3 sets of barbell shrugs

Total time: 35-40 minutes.

Does anyone have an opinion on how M-Stak affects the stomach?

panzerwagen
04-22-08, 5:37 am
This is my first day using the Animal M-Stak. I sweated like an angry conductor during my short jog to the gym, and I kept on sweating pretty good during the workout. I usually sweat like a pig due to the high intensity of my workouts, but this excessive sweating was evidence enough that at least the energy complex-pill worked. I'll give it a few more days and stick to hard and intense training, and then get back to you on how ithe M-Stak affects my training.

panzerwagen
04-30-08, 11:45 am
Managed to mess my back up once again during today's workout. I was doing deadlifts, first set, and I felt this strange pain increasing in my lower back. After a while it felt better, but right now I'm in a bit of pain and my lower back is also stiff. Hopefully it's just a strain of some kind. DAMN fucking shit.. I had similar problems before, and now I wasn't going too heavy either! Maybe I did it too intensely, or maybe it's just plain bad luck? It gets me down though.. depressing me.. Hopefully it'll feel all better tomorrow, but I fear that this is not the case. Damn the back!

panzerwagen
05-01-08, 10:50 am
Feeling better today - the back is pretty ok compared to yesterday, but I better watch out tomorrow when I train. When I get hurt in the gym, I tend to get scared.. I worry that I won't be able to squat or deadlift again, and thinking of this I get really depressed. I try to repress those feelings and stay positive - but it's impossible! Then again, things could have been so much worse. I have to remember that I'm a healthy guy without any permanent bodily ailments or any disability at all. I should be thankful and think more about this - but try to stay out of trouble when working out! Even though I don't believe I did anything wrong during yesterday's workout, one has to train in a smart and effective fasion, else one can actually END UP disable for the rest of life.. How depressing would that be?

How do you cope with injury due to training?

panzerwagen
05-03-08, 7:10 am
My back feels even better today, but I won't take anything for granted.

panzerwagen
05-07-08, 10:06 am
Back got fucked again the other day! Feeling better now though..

I've decided on getting one of them big gym balls.. I'm going to fix this thing once and for all. Sick and tired of fucking myself up due to poor stability in the core muscles. I think it's going to be a good thing using this ball at home every now and then. Even sitting on it for a while every day while reading and studying should do the trick!

Anyone else using the big ball at home?

panzerwagen
05-07-08, 2:13 pm
8.15 PM

A cup of good coffe in my belly, time to get out of here and take an intensive walk for an hour or so..

Tomorrow is leg day. Hopefully the back will be even better and allow to do some very light squats along with leg extesions!

I'm glad things are happening in the Sweden Animals thread.. why don't you check it out?!

Lethal_Banana
05-10-08, 9:39 am
Looking good here bro!

Make sure to take care of that back and listen to your body as you're having quite an intense schedule workout-wise :)

Cheers,
LB

panzerwagen
05-11-08, 3:12 pm
Looking good here bro!

Make sure to take care of that back and listen to your body as you're having quite an intense schedule workout-wise :)

Cheers,
LB

You bet I will do that! But I admit it's heavy on both body and mind.. especially the mind.

panzerwagen
05-12-08, 3:35 pm
I was tired this morning. I'm tired every morning basically... got my ass to the gym none the less. I always seem to end up in the gym. This morning held a "Day 2" workout; I did legs and abs. After a proper warmup including a 10 minute jog to the gym; some random gym-ball exercises; some stretching, and 4 or 5 light sets of squats and leg extensions, I was good to go. Keeping in mind that my back hasn't been all well lately, I decided to really keep it careful, even though I felt quite good in the back today. It's a common mistake (at least to me) to get carried away if things happen to feel good... before you know it you're back in a state of piss and shit, just because you weren't smart enough to take it easy until your body has managed to healed up. So, here's what I did today:

3 tri sets - Squats w/ bodyweight on the bar + leg extensions + sissy squats
3 sets in groups of 3* - leg extensions
4 sets in groups of 3* - standing calf press in hacklift + each set followed by some toe raises
3 supersets - light stiff leg deads + leg curls. Last set I did a few drops on the curl.

* do one set, short rest (just until the pain starts to fade away), do another set, short rest, do another set

+ various exercises for abs, mainly with gym ball.

I felt that I wanted to go heavier on the squats, but I decided that it would be wise to use bodyweight only! I think it was a wise desicion, since I manged to go through the whole workout without fucking my back up.

panzerwagen
05-15-08, 1:10 pm
Today was leg day again. Today, it was sort of a battle just getting to the fucking gym. I have problems sleeping... I've had them for a long time now. And when you're tired and miserable in the morning, going to the gym to do legs isn't really what makes you go YES!

I got my ass to the gym none the less... always seem to do that. Luckily. Even though it didn't turn out to be my greatest workout, I feel it was ok.

Warmup: 10 minute jog to the gym + some gym ball exercises + some stretching
Warmup: a bunch of light sets of squats, working my way up to working weight, 100kg

Now, I didn't dare to go heavier. This IS heavy for me, but I can go heavier, and I can go harder than I did. But I had to keep my bad back in mind.

Quads: 5 quick sets of squats, 6-8 reps each, all w/100kg
Quads: a few sets of sissies + some "squatting" without any weight on shoulders, just to get a serious burn

Calves: 3 sets in groups of 3 of seated calf raise. Rounded off with 3 quick sets of toe raises

I skipped the hams. I'll be doing legs 3 times in total this week anyway.

Abs: gym ball exercises + broomstick twists

Round off: 10 minute jog back home

Made it all without making my back hurt, which I count as a success! Hopefully things will feel better day by day, allowing heavier weight and more intesity. Not being able to traing with severe intensity is what disturbes me most when injured.

Today was also my last day using a cycle of M-Stak for the first time over. It's hard to tell what it has done for me. What I can tell though, is that the stim pill gives you a fucking amazing sweat = a fired up engine; also, it seems as if I have gotten a bit more swollen muscle wise = some muscle has probably been added to my fram during tha last 3 weeks.

That's it folks

panzerwagen
05-17-08, 8:28 am
Tried out Shock Therapy before yesterday's workout. I never really rely on anything except my own abilities to keep the intensity up while in the gym, and I don't expect miracles to happen while using supplements - but if I try a supplement that works, it's just a great bonus! Anyway, I had a tremendous workout. I have to say I could actually feel the effect of Shock Therapy already the first day of trying it out. usually i keep my intensity levels really high, but I've been kind of slow moving lately. None the less, this workout I just kept bulldozing my way through the entire workout - without being hindered by the lactic acids.. acids seemingly reduced quite a lot. Sure, my heart pumped on like... well, have you ever listened to the bass drumming of Morbid Angel? It kept pounding hard and fast, and finally I had to stop training because of having trouble breathing properly, and due to a strange feeling in my chest, hehe! i had to slow down...

I like being able to train like a tank engine during the whole workout, and I believe Shock Therapy helped me in doing this. Still, I have to try it for a few more days before casting my final judgment of this product.

---------------------

The Workout (I rarely count everything I do, which means I can't give exact details of number of sets etc.)

Warmup: 10 minute jog + gym ball exercises + stretching
Warmup: a few light sets of lifting before engaging in the real work

Chest: 3 or 4 tri sets - (light bench press + standing cable flyes + machine press)

Shoulders: a strange, chaotic mix of cable raises + dumbbell press + lateral dumbbell raises + rotator cuff movements

Back: 7 (?) quick light sets of barbell rows, reverse grip + 3 supersets (T-bar rows + one arm machine rows) + 3 quick sets of hyperextensions

Arms / Biceps: 3 tri sets (heavy barbell curls + hammer curls + light dumbbell curls supinated throughout)
Arms / Triceps: 3 giant sets (light skull crushers + dips w/feet on bench + dumbbell press behind neck + rope pushdowns)
Arms / Forearms: standing wrist curls + reverse grip barbell curls

Round off: gym ball + stretching + 10 minute jog back home

-------------------

panzerwagen
05-18-08, 6:55 am
Leg session today

Proper warmup, aiming to do heavy squats only for quads, and I had about 15 minutes to use timewise. heavy squats was followed by calves, and finally some light supersets for hammies...

Quads 15 minutes
Heavy Squats:

10x100kg
10x100kg
10x100kg
7 or 8x110kg
6 or 7x120kg
2x130kg
8x110kg
10x100kg

Calves

3 sets in groups of 3 - standing press in hacklift
3 sets of donkeys

Hams

3 supersets - light stiff deads + leg curls (I didn't dare go heavy due to my bad back)

Carpe Diem P.T
05-18-08, 7:58 am
smart move going easy on that back! nice numbers bro. quality sets.

were u smashed after the supersets?

panzerwagen
05-18-08, 9:45 am
smart move going easy on that back! nice numbers bro. quality sets.

were u smashed after the supersets?

Thanks a lot mate!

Not too smashed today actually, since they were quite light (40kg on the bar while stiffdeadin'). When I go a little heavier, I usually get quite f***ed up. I'm not too keen on training hams, but I find these kinds on supersets work fine - mentally anyway. It's intense and I have to stay focused. I usually do 3 or 4 supersets for the hams.

But when doing the sets in groups of 3 (set + short rest, just until the acid fades - etc.), I feel totally mangled! Also, supersetting squats w/ any other quad exercise, is the way to go!

Lethal_Banana
05-18-08, 9:55 am
That's some insanely heavy squatting my man!

Cheers,
LB

panzerwagen
05-18-08, 9:59 am
That's some insanely heavy squatting my man!

Cheers,
LB

Well, I don't know.. Yes, for me at least. I'm a little man you know - 75kg's of pure bitterness and a taste for intesive training, hehe! It gets really tough when you don't allow much rest between the sets... you should try it if you haven't already. But hey, thanks for the compliment Mr. Banana!

Jonken
05-18-08, 11:14 am
wow those are some heavy squats! Bra jobbat!

panzerwagen
05-19-08, 3:39 am
wow those are some heavy squats! Bra jobbat!

Tack!

panzerwagen
05-19-08, 7:02 am
A 50 minute workout after proper warmup

Back: chins - 4 sets (warming up chest between the sets)

Chest:
4 giant sets - incline DB press + pushups + incline DB flyes + machine press

Shoulders:
various light exercises without rest, including cable raises/Arnold Press/DB raise for posterior delts/rotator cuff movements

Back:
1 regular set of BB rows + 3 similar sets in groups of 3 (50kg on bar)
3 supersets T-bar rows + close grip pulldowns

Arms:
Only forearm work today - many sets, combining reverse grip BB curls + BB wrist curls + DB wrist curls

Back:
3 sets of hyperextensions made in a slow and controlled manner

-----------------

panzerwagen
05-19-08, 11:25 am
To me, Henry Rollins is a great source of inspiration! In case you haven't heard of that man, I just wanted to post some lyrics written by him. I find these words fit neatly along the lines of the Animal spirit. I also provide a YouTube link for a live performance of it - enjoy!

ON MY WAY TO THE CAGE

On my way to the cage
I'm getting taught a lesson
On my way to the cage
I'm choking on the medicine
On my way to the cage
I'm stepping hard on four leaf clovers
On my way to the cage
I'm learning the same thing over and over

On my way to the cage
The taste of blood is in my mouth
On my way to the cage
The fear is in their eyes
On my way to the cage
My animal blood is pure
On my way to the cage
No regrets and no last words

On the way to the cage
I heard the crowd roar
Thoughts of you were long behind me
I couldn't ask for more
The lights are almost blinding
Come closer, see yourself in my eyes
And fear me
And fear me

Your soul on a leash
Your mind on a string
Your world's inside my fist
You put yourself above me
But there's something that you've missed
You always say you hate me

But you watch me anyway
It's a pain you can't resist

On my way to the cage
I'm larger than life, laughing at death
On my way to the cage
I'm tripping on pain and feeling fine
On my way to the cage
You're paying your price and I'm paying mine
On my way to the cage
I'm watching you cry and wave goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtf4I8x3JOo

---------------

panzerwagen
05-20-08, 11:41 am
I figure it's time to try shedding some fat away. I'm not looking to get totally shredded, just lose a few pounds of it.

Anyway, yesterday evening I did an hour of cardio - walking hard...
Same story this morning before breakfast

I've also eaten a little less, so I figure this is a good start. Maybe I'll start using some kind of fat burner in a few weeks or so.

Tomorrow morning: legs + abs

Cheers

panzerwagen
05-21-08, 5:57 am
Damn I felt fucked up while training quads today!

After warmup + some stretching, 45 minute workout as described below:

Hammies:
Supersets - 4 x stiff deads + lying leg curls; high reps on the stiffs

Quads:
Leg press - 2 sets in groups of 3 w/150kg; short rest between these two sets
Sissy Squats - 3 sets x 10; warming up calves between sets

calves:
Standing leg press - 3 sets in groups of 3; increasing the weight w/ two plates for each set. After one set of 3, I lowered the weight 2 plates, starting off from a lighter weight than I finsihed with. (example: set one (no. of plates) - 8, 10, 12 / set 2 - 10, 12, 14 / set 3 - 12, 14, 16)

Abs:
Crunches on gym ball - 3 sets in groups of 3, each set followed by 1 set of stick twists
Some static training (the plank)

10 minute jog back home
------------------

panzerwagen
05-23-08, 6:49 am
Yesterday's Work -

45 minute Upper body routine of the day:

Shoulders:
DB press + cable lateral raise + DB post. delt raise + rotator cuff monements; many sets performed in various combinations

Chest:
5 supersets - push ups + DB flyes

Back:
4 supersets - seated cable row + T-bar row
3 sets - hyperextensions

Arms:
5 Tri sets - heavy BB curl + dips on bench + rope pushdowns
Some extra sets of BB curls

--------------------------

Evening - 50 minutes of cardio (hard walking)

panzerwagen
05-23-08, 11:45 am
This afternoon: 45 minutes of cardio
------------------
I'm hungry

panzerwagen
05-24-08, 8:18 am
Saturday equals cheating day. I've been looking forward to eating whatever I want all week. Though it is Saturday, there was by no means any cheating going on in the gym this morning.

L e g s / a b s - 50 miuntes

Quads:
Leg press - 2 sets in groups of 3, 150kg (reps: group 1 - 18, 9, 7; group 2 - 12, 7, 6)
Squats - 3 medium light sets, 70kg wide stance ass in the grass

Calves:
Standing press in hacklift - 200 reps total

Hammies:
Supersets - 3 x (stiff deads 60kgx10 reps + lying leg curl)

Abs:
Tri sets - 3 x (crunches on gym ball in groups of 3 sets + stick twists + regular crunches)

----------------------------

panzerwagen
05-25-08, 10:31 am
Today's workout.. chest was excluded today due to lack of time. But it's allright, chest got some this week already anyway. 45 minutes...

Back
Chins - 2 sets; warming up back with other exercises between sets
Tri sets - 4 x (chins + T-bar rows + shrugs)
Hyperextensions - 3 sets

Shoulders
BB military press - 3 sets
Supersets - 3 x (seated DB press + rotator cuff movements)
DB lateral raise - 2 sets

Arms
Tri sets - 3 x (BB curls + DB curls + rope curls)
Tri sets - 3 x (skull crushers + bench dips + rope pushdowns)

10 minute jog back home

--------------------

panzerwagen
05-26-08, 10:12 am
Hey. Off-day from weight training today. But I went ahead and got myself some cardio/strength training. A friend and I did some slow fighting and ground fighting for about an hour. That ground fighting is sooo tiresome... a very good alternative to "regular" cardio training, and your muscles really have to work their ass off. A lot of acids flush the system, no need to doubt that!

Hopefully I'll be alert enough later this evening to do some hard walking as well.

Cheers for now

panzerwagen
05-26-08, 3:09 pm
50 minutes of hard walking done... feels good, but I'm so damn tired.
-------------

panzerwagen
05-28-08, 1:42 pm
Upper Body Training

Warmup:
Some core stability training w/gym ball
10 minute jog to gym + some quick stretching
Proper warmup with weights before working sets

50 minute workout as follows

Chest:
3 x Tri sets - plate loaded machine press + push ups + cable cross

Shoulders:
A number of sets - mix between cable raises + rotator cuff work
3 sets of heavy standing military press
3 sets of light standing BB press behind neck directly after the heavy ones
3 sets of seated DB press, last set = dropset

Back:
2 sets in groups of 3 followed by 1 light set - Supported T-bar rows, reversed grip
Supersets + 3 - seated cable row + plate loade one arm rows
4 sets of hyperextensions

Arms:
3 sets of standing alternate DB curls, all dropsets
3 x tri sets - skull crushers + bench dips + rope pushdown
Some forearm work - reverse BB curls + wrist curls
3 sets of hammer curls

Enjoying a pack of Animal Nitro + grape juice

10 minute jog back home
---------------------------

js71474
05-28-08, 2:18 pm
Looks like a good package bro, Im sub'd. I hear ya on the Nitro, I have been using it for a little while myself and have seen some extra lbs. on the lifts. Good work!

panzerwagen
05-29-08, 6:51 am
Looks like a good package bro, Im sub'd. I hear ya on the Nitro, I have been using it for a little while myself and have seen some extra lbs. on the lifts. Good work!

Thanks man! I have a question regarding language though: "Sub'd" - I can't really relate to what you guys mean when you say it? It's yet another mystery to the non native English speaker, hehe!

Cheers

js71474
05-29-08, 7:49 am
Thanks man! I have a question regarding language though: "Sub'd" - I can't really relate to what you guys mean when you say it? It's yet another mystery to the non native English speaker, hehe!

Cheers

Sub'd is when one forvm member subscribes to another members threads. Mostly to keep track of their progress or just to drop in and give some encouragement from time to time.
If you sub this way you can quickly access all of them by hitting the shortcuts tab on the top right of your screen.

panzerwagen
05-29-08, 9:50 am
Sub'd is when one forvm member subscribes to another members threads. Mostly to keep track of their progress or just to drop in and give some encouragement from time to time.
If you sub this way you can quickly access all of them by hitting the shortcuts tab on the top right of your screen.

Ah! ... damn, I didn't think of it as subscribed. Thanks man! And thanks for subscribing to this thread.

panzerwagen
05-29-08, 3:44 pm
Morning: 45 minute hard walking before breakfast

Evening: 1 hour of hard walking

That's it!

panzerwagen
05-30-08, 7:33 am
Legs and abs, Friday morning

Warmup
10 minute jog
gym ball exercises
warmup w/light weights + some stretching

Quads
Front squats - 6 sets, ass to the grass
9 x 50kg
9 x 50kg
7 x 55kg
5 x 60kg
3 x 65kg

Leg extensions - 3 sets in groups of 3 (total 9 sets, holding the weight for a while at maximum contraction)

Hams
Supersets - 3 x stiff legged deads + lying leg curl (stiffs = 50kg, 70kg, 70kg)

Calves
Standing leg press in hacklift - 2 sets in groups of 5 (total 10 sets)

Abs
Tri sets - 2 x crunches on gym ball in groups of 3 + crunch w/ body lying flat on floor + stick twists (total 10 sets)

Round off - stretching + 10 minute jog
-----------------------

panzerwagen
05-31-08, 8:36 am
Did some light deadlifting when I worked out this morning. Luckily, I don't feel bad at all in my back now. I've been having some problems with my back, and most often it seems as if it is a long way back to get back on track again. I've never been a strong lifter, so I'm not looking to blast my ass off with some monster weights. No no no... But fear keeps me from coming back. I'm afraid to fuck my back up again. That's why I take it, one step at a time... a slow progress.

I'm not badly hurt. But due to poor core stability, my lower back muscles tend to cramp up now and again, and it hurts like a bitch when it does. Still, I have no protruding discs or anything like that - in other words I'm OK. But it sucks being afraid of doing what you want to do in the gym. In the end, the only option is to try to be smart and strategic when you train. You're supposed to last a lifetime. When I'm 40 years old, or even older, I want to be in my prime - I'm gonna be in my prime dammit! The only way to get there is playing this game in a smart fashion.

Fucking hell...

js71474
05-31-08, 3:57 pm
When you have had an injury smart is the only way to go. You will be back to lifting all that you want soon, because of the can do attitude you have. Attitude and outlook mean alot in this game and looks like you have that covered. You are putting up good routines and the progress looks good! Keep up the good work bro and you WILL grow!

panzerwagen
06-02-08, 10:26 am
Just got home from the gym, and I'm totally wasted. Felt like a pile of shit when I jogged off for the workout. I've been sitting at home all day, writing on the last term paper before summer. Anyhow, the workout was splendid! After a big swig of Shock Therapy, I jogged off to the basement gym.

Legs and Abs - 50 minute workout after warmup and some stretching

Quads
4 supersets - leg press + deep hack squats
Squats - 3 sets w/bodyweight + 5kg on bar

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 3 sets in groups of 3 + 1 set of toe raises

Hammies
3 supersets - stiff legged deads + lying leg curl

Abs
3 special tri sets - gym ball crunches in groups of 3 + crunches w/body flat on floor + stick twists

Animal Nitro + some grapefruit juice in my belly and a terrible 10 minute jog back home

--------------

panzerwagen
06-03-08, 9:53 am
Inspired by the post by Sanga regarding intensity/insanity training (http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18343) I decided to try and speed up the workouts even more, keeping rest between the sets even shorter than it already is. My training has been inspired by Steve Michaliks method for a while now, and I feel it has provided some nice results.

Today's muscle mash - upper body training 50 minutes - tried to keep rest at about 15-20 seconds between sets

Chest
4 x tri sets: incline DB press + DB flies + weight loaded machine press

Shoulders
2 x supersets: light cable lateral raise + rotator cuff movement
3 x tri sets: seated DB press dropset (4 different weights) + rotator cuff movement + light cable lateral raise

Back
3 x supersets: supported T-bar row, reverse grip + one arm plate loaded machine rows
3 sets: hyperextensions
3 sets: light DB shrugs

Arms
(biceps) 3 x giant sets: heavy BB curl + DB curl + DB scott curl + light BB curl
(triceps) 3 x giant sets: skull crushers + bench dips + overhead DB press + rope pushdown
---------------------------

FourThirty
06-04-08, 10:31 pm
Great job on the tri-sets. Looks brutal.

panzerwagen
06-05-08, 3:39 am
Great job on the tri-sets. Looks brutal.

Thanks! It feels brutal too, even though I don't use the heaviest weights. I can seriously recommend to try it out if you don't do this type of training already.

panzerwagen
06-07-08, 6:19 pm
Ok. It's time to change the workouts for some time ahead. Up to now I've been doing my 3-day cycle for quite some time, and I figure I'll change that a bit for a month or two. I'll swith to a 4-day split, still trying to keep intensity levels as high as possible, which means short but severely brutal workouts. Apart from this I'll try to get som fighting done once a week or so - ground fight and some light stand up fight. This is good for both body and mind! Anyway - the new deal starts tomorrow with some leg training. I'll see what I come up with workout-wise later on...

panzerwagen
06-08-08, 9:45 am
Did some legs today. The back felt quite bad due to yesterday's deadlifts. Maybe I shouldn't do them any more. My back never seems to recover enough. Depressing, but there are ways to go even if one can't do exactly what he or she wants. Anyway, here's how I did it:

Quads
5 x supersets - leg extensions + light wide stance squats, ass to the grass
3 sets - front squats w/50kg bar
3 sets - sissies

Calves
2 sets in groups of 5 - standing calf press in hacklift
1 or 2 sets of toe raises
2 quick sets of standing calf press in hacklift
1 set of toe raises

Hammies
I just did some gym ball work for the backside today. Didn't feel motivated due to the stupid ass back of mine. I suppose it did me some good anyway.

js71474
06-09-08, 8:45 am
Good work on the legs bro, and deads are a back killer but in a good way. Maybe spread them out a little longer next time but I love the deadlift and would hate to see you scrap it but only you know if that is what is needed. Try some rack pulls, maybe rotate deads and rack pulls from week to week. Good luck!

Jonken
06-09-08, 2:15 pm
Im sorry to see that you got hurt from the Deads, hope your next split will work well for you. btw, aint it hard to do so heavy squats with an injured back?

panzerwagen
06-09-08, 4:22 pm
Im sorry to see that you got hurt from the Deads, hope your next split will work well for you. btw, aint it hard to do so heavy squats with an injured back?

The squats weren't heavy, so I did allright this time. But usually, when I don't feel any pain or stiffness, I can go up to squatting 120-130kg without feeling bad at all in the back. It's the deads.. those damn deads. I love doing them but I'm not allowed to...

Jonken
06-10-08, 8:55 am
The squats weren't heavy, so I did allright this time. But usually, when I don't feel any pain or stiffness, I can go up to squatting 120-130kg without feeling bad at all in the back. It's the deads.. those damn deads. I love doing them but I'm not allowed to...

Ow, that sucks. So theres no way you can recover from the back injury? I just thought that 120Kg squats would put alot of presure on your back, but maybe its another thing. Glad you can do the lovely squats anyway.

panzerwagen
06-10-08, 12:36 pm
Ow, that sucks. So theres no way you can recover from the back injury? I just thought that 120Kg squats would put alot of presure on your back, but maybe its another thing. Glad you can do the lovely squats anyway.

I feel like I'm recovering, but the injury seems to come back every now and then, even if I take it slow. I believe it's due to poor core stability. And yes, the squats put pressure on the back, but it works as long as I'm not currently bad in the back.

panzerwagen
06-10-08, 12:42 pm
Did back only today

BACK

5 x Chins
6 x BB rows
3 x tri set - supported T-bar row + close grip pulldown + one arm plate loaded machine row
3 x cable row (quick sets)
4 x hyperextensions
3 x DB shrugs (light)

+ some forearm work

panzerwagen
06-11-08, 2:42 pm
Chest
3 x giant sets - DB press + incline bench press + incline DB flies + cable cross

Shoulders
4 x rear delt cable cross
3 x seated DB press dropset (4 different weights)
3 x giant sets - rotator cuff exercise + lateral delt cable raise + DB lateral raise + light BB press behind neck

-----

Jonken
06-11-08, 5:19 pm
Chest
3 x giant sets - DB press + incline bench press + incline DB flies + cable cross

Shoulders
3 x giant sets - rotator cuff exercise + lateral delt cable raise + DB lateral raise + light BB press behind neck

-----

Oh thats almost the same Giantset for chest i did, but i did incline DB instead of bench this week. How did it work for you? it gave me one hell of a pump.

panzerwagen
06-12-08, 3:10 am
Oh thats almost the same Giantset for chest i did, but i did incline DB instead of bench this week. How did it work for you? it gave me one hell of a pump.

Yes, it pumps you up quite well. And it wears you down quickly. Hell, after one set you're already tired enough. But that doesn't give you any reason for resting too long between the sets, right!? hehe..

Jonken
06-12-08, 3:55 am
thats right, never knew that 30kg bench could be so heavy. And yeah, my pump also disappeared real quick, but i had it after the first set.

panzerwagen
06-12-08, 9:57 am
thats right, never knew that 30kg bench could be so heavy. And yeah, my pump also disappeared real quick, but i had it after the first set.

I didn't mean the pump was worn down quickly. I meant the body, worn into tiredness. Anyway, listen to Thrawn, he's got good ideas. As long as you don't lift the bar too far from the shinbones while doing the deadlift. And if you are bothered by dragging the bar along the bones, you can always wear long legged trousers! There will be holes in them eventually, but that's just cool, hehe! If I deadlift with shorts, I usually smear the thighs with sweat in order to make the bar run more smoothly.

js71474
06-12-08, 10:05 am
Nice job on the giant sets and trisets. Good sessions bro! Keeping the intensity peaked is the key and you are definitely doing that! Nice!

panzerwagen
06-12-08, 10:12 am
Thanks. Well, I try to keep the tempo up. Damn, the last session (chest/shoulders) lasted for about 35 minutes or so. Felt good!

Toni69
06-12-08, 11:35 am
Chest

Shoulders

-----

Just thought I would pass on through and say what's up. I see your into giant sets...not really my thing, although I have done Milos Sarcev's 500 rep leg wo numerous times and that's all about giant sets. Much respect for doin giant sets especially with compound moves..they are brutal. I would get more into training like this as I get deeper into show prep usually, where everything is high rep, lighter weights.

Good stuff...

panzerwagen
06-12-08, 2:42 pm
Just thought I would pass on through and say what's up. I see your into giant sets...not really my thing, although I have done Milos Sarcev's 500 rep leg wo numerous times and that's all about giant sets. Much respect for doin giant sets especially with compound moves..they are brutal. I would get more into training like this as I get deeper into show prep usually, where everything is high rep, lighter weights.

Good stuff...

Thanks for checking in Toni. Yes, I do like this type of training. I'm not moving any big weights but I don't know if I'm looking to do that anyway. A 500 rep leg WO you say? Damn.. 500 reps on one WO?

/P

panzerwagen
06-12-08, 2:47 pm
Cardio done today = before breakfast (hard walking); evening (slow jog + hard walking)

Toni69
06-12-08, 3:07 pm
Thanks for checking in Toni. Yes, I do like this type of training. I'm not moving any big weights but I don't know if I'm looking to do that anyway. A 500 rep leg WO you say? Damn.. 500 reps on one WO?

/P

check this out:

http://thefitshow.tv/remastered/season4/?videoId=348390905

panzerwagen
06-13-08, 8:43 am
check this out:

http://thefitshow.tv/remastered/season4/?videoId=348390905

Checked! Interesting stuff.. this is my kind of training, hehe. Nah, I don't do all of that, but I like the idea of stacking sets and really fucking yourself up - PROPERLY! I'll give this a shot, but adapted to my own ideas and needs.

panzerwagen
06-13-08, 8:44 am
Did some cardio before breakfast today. Now I'm off to the gym to punish my arms.

See you later

panzerwagen
06-13-08, 3:18 pm
A
R
M
S

Biceps
3 x heavy BB curls (40kg, did some decent reps, felt great!)
4 x giant sets - BB curls (first 2 sets 40kg; last 2 sets 30kg) + alt. DB curl + one arm conc. curl + light BB curls/light DB curls

Triceps
4 x giant sets - Skull crushers + bench dips + DB french press + rope pushdowns
3 x close grip pushdowns

Forearms -
Wrist curls w/BB (overhand + underhand grip)
Reverse grip light BB curls
Hammer curls
DB wrist curls

Abs
2 x tri sets - gym ball crunch in groups of 3 + crunch w/body flat on floor + stick twists

All done in less than 45 minutes

panzerwagen
06-14-08, 6:00 am
Some extra back work done today. Just wanted to mash the back a little more this week. This is how I did it.

Back
One arm DB row: 6 sets performed basically without rest, just kept going up the rack.
Supersets: 4 x Supported T-bar row (light, squeezing fashion) + wide grip pulldown
Rope rows in cable cross: 4 sets. A nice exercise to squeeze the remaining energy out of the mid back.

js71474
06-16-08, 9:08 am
Nice intense workouts bro! Like the 'extra' back work. Routines are looking good, and the intensity boosters are the way to go to grab that pump. Nice!

panzerwagen
06-17-08, 8:45 am
Nice intense workouts bro! Like the 'extra' back work. Routines are looking good, and the intensity boosters are the way to go to grab that pump. Nice!

Thanks for the support man!

panzerwagen
06-17-08, 8:57 am
Monday: Legs

Today, my girlfriend joined to train legs. Apart from using lighter weights than me, she followed and performed the same routine that I describe below, except from the leg extesions where she did singles instead of 3-grouped sets. She kept really good form - Damn, I'm proud of her!

Quads
Leg extensions - 3 sets in groups of 3, increasing the weights for every set the first 6
Heavy squats - 3 sets 100kg, reps: 10, 8, 7 (or something)
Leg press + hack lift - 3 supersets, heavy press, light hack

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 2 sets in groups of 3
Seated press + toe raises + standing press in hack - 2 tri sets

Hams
Stiff legged deads + lying leg curl - 3 supersets

--------------------

Tuesday: Back

Chins + light T-bar row + one arm DB rows - 4 tri sets
Seated DB shrugs - 5 sets, increasing weight for each set
BB rows - 2 sets in groups of 3, maintaining same weight
Deadlifts - 3 medium light sets; gotta watch that back of mine

----------------------

Jonken
06-17-08, 3:42 pm
looks like a nice workout. I really like how you have setuped the leg w/o. Its to bad my knees hate leg extensions though. Did the deads feel good this time?

panzerwagen
06-17-08, 4:51 pm
looks like a nice workout. I really like how you have setuped the leg w/o. Its to bad my knees hate leg extensions though. Did the deads feel good this time?

Yes, the deads felt really nice. No pain afterwards.. not so far anyway. I only lifted 70kg, but it can be enough to hurt yourself if you have a bad back..

Jonken
06-18-08, 1:21 am
Yes, the deads felt really nice. No pain afterwards.. not so far anyway. I only lifted 70kg, but it can be enough to hurt yourself if you have a bad back..

Im glad to hear it works for you. Hope your back will become less fragile in the future. Just take it slow and wish for the best.

js71474
06-18-08, 10:23 am
Nice showing on legs and back and glad you worked in some deads. Shows you have persistence bro, just take care of it and before long the deads will climb. Keep up the good work!

panzerwagen
06-18-08, 10:51 am
Nice showing on legs and back and glad you worked in some deads. Shows you have persistence bro, just take care of it and before long the deads will climb. Keep up the good work!

Cheers man! Yes, I managed to do some nice reps on the deads. Even though it was only 70kg, it felt good not to feel any "bad" pain afterwards. Thanks for the support!

Hell, I haven't felt this sore in my legs for a long time. It was a good session even though it wasn't as intense as I usually keep it. Most of the time we waited for each other to finish a set before we could move on. This takes time and this is one of the reasons why I prefer to train alone. Still, occasionally some spotting is always appreciated!

panzerwagen
06-18-08, 11:11 am
Today is a day of rest. At least I didn't go to the gym this morning. Instead I dragged my sore-ass body to a friend's place to do some groundfighting for about an hour or so. Damn, this kind of training really squeezes the last bit of shit out of you. So, now I'm probably even more tired than before, and I'm up for chest and shoulders tomorrow. It's gonna be tough but great fun, and I'll have two days of rest from weightlifting after tomorrow's workout.

panzerwagen
06-19-08, 9:01 am
Proper Warmup - 10 minute jog + some stretching + some rotator cuff work w/cables

Chest
4 x giant sets - slightly inclined DB press + same angle DB flyes + plate loaded machine press + cable cross
3 quick sets of light bench press

Shoulders
3 sets - Heavy standing BB military press
3 drop sets (4 different weights used) - Seated DB press
5 quick sets of forward leaned cable cross raises for posterior delts
3 tri sets - DB lateral raise + rotator cuff movement + press behind neck w/light BB

Round off - 10 minute jog back home

------------------

panzerwagen
06-22-08, 7:34 am
My back feels rather fucked. It has been shitty since Friday afternoon, and I don't know what I did to make it feel this way. Last workout was on Thursday and I've been resting for two days until today's workout. I guess the back tries to tell me something.

Anyway, did arms today - here's the story:

Biceps
Heavy BB curl - 3 sets
Giant sets - 4 x /heavy BB curls + seated DB curls + DB scott curls + lighter BB curls/

Triceps
Tri sets - 4 x /dips + DB press behind neck + pushdowns
Close grip bench press - 3 quick sets

Forearms
Giant sets - 3 x /reverse grip BB curl + reverse grip wrist curl + underhand wrist curl + DB wrist curl/ performed w/light weights
Also added some hammer curls

Total time: 35-40 minutes

js71474
06-23-08, 8:42 am
Nice workouts Panzer! Doing alot of quality work, and getting the mass builders in there too, great job bro! Hate to hear about the back flaring up on you again, hope it gets better quickly!

panzerwagen
06-23-08, 9:50 am
Nice workouts Panzer! Doing alot of quality work, and getting the mass builders in there too, great job bro! Hate to hear about the back flaring up on you again, hope it gets better quickly!

Thanks JS! Yeah, the back sucks - BIG time! Hate to have it like this.

----------------------

Anyway, 30 minute jog yesterday evening, and I did some leg stuff today. Back is still bad, but I managed to do some light squatting without any problems. I started off and finished up with some abs training.

Abs
A few sets of crunches + some gym ball crunches

Quads
Leg extensions - 3 sets in groups of 3, increasing weight for each group of 3.
Supersets x 3 - DB walking lunges + light wide stance (sumo) squats
Hack lift - 3 quick sets w/relatively light weight

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 3 sets in groups of 3
Toe raises - 3 sets x 20

Hams
Standing leg curl - 2 sets in groups of 3, increasing weight on the first group - decreasing weight on the second

Abs
Gym ball crunch - 8 sets

panzerwagen
06-24-08, 11:23 am
Today's cardio: Hard walking for almost an hour this afternoon

Tomorrow will be back training day. I sure hope that I will be able to get some serious training done with this crappy back of mine.

Cheers

Jonken
06-24-08, 12:37 pm
Hey, good luck with back tomorrow! Hope nothin fucks up.

panzerwagen
06-24-08, 1:14 pm
Hey, good luck with back tomorrow! Hope nothin fucks up.

Thanks man!

panzerwagen
06-25-08, 5:59 am
My back feels a little better today, but it's still not good enough. Anyway, today's workout said BACK - and I managed to keep really high intensity, pulling through 2 giant sets + a little more stuff - a total of 35 working sets.

4 x Giant Set 1

Chins - 8 to 4 reps + forced (felt weak today)
T-bar row - 25 kg on bar (bar in corner)
One arm DB row - 23 kg
Standing cable row w/rope - ?

4 x Giant Set 2

Supported T-bar row, reverse grip - 40 kg
One arm plate loaded row - 20 kg
Seated cable row - 50 kg
Close grip pulldown - ?

Hyperextensions x 3 quick sets

Total time: 30 minutes

js71474
06-25-08, 7:43 am
Great session Panzer! Nice volume with the 35 sets, I am sure you are feelin it! Glad to hear the back is a little better! Keep it up bro!

panzerwagen
06-28-08, 6:23 am
Great session Panzer! Nice volume with the 35 sets, I am sure you are feelin it! Glad to hear the back is a little better! Keep it up bro!

Thanks for dropping by.. thanks for the support!

Jonken and Barpen showed up at the gym this morning. Great to see that they get up early and ride across the entire city just to get there..

Today was a day of arms - a quick and intense workout, 35-40 minutes

Biceps
4 x giant sets: Heavy BB curl / hammer curls / one arm DB concentration curl / straigt bar cable curl

Triceps
4 x giant sets: Skull crushers / bench dips / close grip bench press / rope pushdown

Forearms
4 x giant sets: Reverse grip BB curl / reverse grip wrist curl / underhand grip wrist curl / DB wrist curl

----------

panzerwagen
06-28-08, 7:00 am
Hell, forgot to write about yesterday's session!

Chest and Shoulders

Chest
4 x tri sets: DB press, slight incline + DB flyes + cable cross

Shoulders
3 x Supersets: Rear delt DB raise + rear delt cable cross
3 x Seated DB press: dropsets w/3 different weights
3 x DB lateral raise
5 x seated DB shrugs

------

js71474
06-28-08, 12:18 pm
Killer work with all the giant sets and tri sets, you are really pushing hard brother! Good to see all that work. Keep it up P.

panzerwagen
06-29-08, 6:22 am
Killer work with all the giant sets and tri sets, you are really pushing hard brother! Good to see all that work. Keep it up P.

I really like doing the tri sets and the giant sets. I don't know exactly why, but doing them makes basically every workout feel like a great one.

Today I rest from the gym, but did cardio before breakfast. I nice way to start the day in my opinion.

panzerwagen
06-30-08, 7:57 am
Back felt strange this morning. Still, I went ahead and did some serious leg work, including fairly heavy squats and other bonebreaking stuff. I felt weak in the squats, but I'm still satisfied with the workout and the intensity I managed to keep during the 50 minute workout.

L
E
G
S

Proper warmup

Quads
Heavy Squats - 5 sets w/ little rest between

9 x 100kg
7 x 100kg
6 x 100kg
7 x 100kg
6 x 100kg

Supersets x 3 - Leg press x 12 reps, all w/ 150kg + hack lift for as many reps I could muster

Leg extensions - 2 sets in groups of 3

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 4 sets in groups of 3; increasing weight on set 2 and 3, set 4 w/ start-off weight

Hams
Standing leg curl - 5 sets without rest
Stiff legged deads - 5 quick sets, 12-8 reps

Summing up a total of 39 sets

Round off - 10 minute jog
----------------------

js71474
06-30-08, 8:00 am
Great leg session panzer, you really pushed it hard and you will def. feel that one! Thanx for the link, very intense ABC, good to put faces with names. If I ever get over there we will have to train!

panzerwagen
06-30-08, 8:03 am
Great leg session panzer, you really pushed it hard and you will def. feel that one! Thanx for the link, very intense ABC, good to put faces with names. If I ever get over there we will have to train!

I figured it's a nice way to give other users a chance to see the faces belonging to our user names. Mug shots for real!

Yes, if you get here we will train! That would be something...

panzerwagen
07-01-08, 8:51 am
Back has been good today, so I figured I'd dare to try out some deadlifting during today's back workout. Right now I feel great in my back. Though I didn't go too heavy on the deads. I wanted to do more sets but I managed to stop before anything bad happened. So all in all, this workout turned out a nice one!

B
A
C
K

5 x Giant sets - Chins + T-bar (cornered barbell) + One arm DB row + Seated DB shrugs
6 x BB row, underhand grip
4 x Deadlifts; repped out first set on 70kg, rest of the sets 80kg

After the back was done, I did a series of sets for the abs

ABS
3 x Tri sets - Gym ball crunch (in groups of 3) + crunch w/body flat on ground + stick twists

Right now I just hope that the back will keep steady even though I did the deads. Fingers crossed!
--------------------

Now I'll enjoy a couple of days at the summer house and rest for two days. I'll be back in the gym on Friday. Cheers to you all!

js71474
07-01-08, 9:23 am
Nice back day panzer!! Love those cornered BB T bars! Great to see the back is allowing for some deads. Great workout bro, and hope you enjoy your off days, you def. deserve it!!! Have fun.

Jonken
07-02-08, 8:04 am
Ey, glad to see your able to do Deads again! hope it works out better this time. Do you workout on sundays btw?

panzerwagen
07-02-08, 5:41 pm
I'm at the summer house and posting with my mobile phone just for fun. Let's see how it turns out!
JS : thanks a lot for the support. It's great being at the summer house and not spending a lot of energy thinking about anything really. Deads felt great, and the back seems to be good!
Jonken: I train any day. I usually do 2 days on, 1 day off, but right now I just make sure to train 4 days a week. I don't think i'm gonna train this Sunday. Why? Were you guys planning on getting to Bandhagen?

Jonken
07-03-08, 4:34 am
just thought if that would be a good day to take that leg session. Hope your having a peaceful time at your summerhouse ;) *yuuck*

panzerwagen
07-04-08, 4:41 pm
just thought if that would be a good day to take that leg session. Hope your having a peaceful time at your summerhouse ;) *yuuck*

I had a great time at the summer house, but now I'm back in the city again... for a while at least. I've been eating like a fucking lunatic.. bull shit food.. I love it! It's a shame that this kind of crap diet fucks your physique up.. then again.. one has to live a different kind of life at times.. or am I mistaken?

I worked out this evening when I got home, and I'll train tomorrow morning at 10.00 again. Sunday is off day, but if you guys are coming on Sunday I'll be happy to coach you. I suppose I can do it basically at any time during the day, but I'm not sure yet. The hours of the gym on Sat-Sun is 10.00-16.00, just so you know. Let me know what you wanna do. Saturday morning (tomorrow) I won't be able to focus on you guys since I have to do my own shit rapidly.
------------------------------------------------------

Today's Workout - Chest n' Shoulders

Chest
DB press (slight incline) - 5 x dropsets w/4 different weights on each set; very little rest between sets, making it feel like giant sets

Shoulders
DB raises x 5 - dropsets w/3 different weights; each set I leaned forward to do the rear delts, then moving on to do lateral raises at once w/ same weight
Seated DB shrugs - 5 sets
Rotator cuff work - a couple of sets for each side
-------------------------

Jonken
07-05-08, 4:48 am
I had a great time at the summer house, but now I'm back in the city again... for a while at least. I've been eating like a fucking lunatic.. bull shit food.. I love it! It's a shame that this kind of crap diet fucks your physique up.. then again.. one has to live a different kind of life at times.. or am I mistaken?

I worked out this evening when I got home, and I'll train tomorrow morning at 10.00 again. Sunday is off day, but if you guys are coming on Sunday I'll be happy to coach you. I suppose I can do it basically at any time during the day, but I'm not sure yet. The hours of the gym on Sat-Sun is 10.00-16.00, just so you know. Let me know what you wanna do. Saturday morning (tomorrow) I won't be able to focus on you guys since I have to do my own shit rapidly.
------------------------------------------------------

Today's Workout - Chest n' Shoulders

Chest
DB press (slight incline) - 5 x dropsets w/4 different weights on each set; very little rest between sets, making it feel like giant sets

Shoulders
DB raises x 5 - dropsets w/3 different weights; each set I leaned forward to do the rear delts, then moving on to do lateral raises at once w/ same weight
Seated DB shrugs - 5 sets
Rotator cuff work - a couple of sets for each side

Nice workout, youve started to do dropsets now? or maybe youve done that all the time. And i know what you mean about summerhouse diet... But its nice to get an break from everything now and then. Im trying to get my parents to eat better food, but it usually ends up with me cooking for myself.

About the workout tomorrow, ill have a look with Mr. Barp and see if he has some hours he would rather go, then ill post here or something later tonight, sounds ok?

panzerwagen
07-05-08, 5:59 am
Nice workout, youve started to do dropsets now? or maybe youve done that all the time. And i know what you mean about summerhouse diet... But its nice to get an break from everything now and then. Im trying to get my parents to eat better food, but it usually ends up with me cooking for myself.

About the workout tomorrow, ill have a look with Mr. Barp and see if he has some hours he would rather go, then ill post here or something later tonight, sounds ok?

Thanks man.. I include dropsets in my workouts pretty often. Sometimes I do them like yesterday, sometimes I just add a dropset or two if I don't feel wasted enough after a set. I think doing dropsets is a great way to bring out intensity during a workout.

About the leg session tomorrow - send me an sms as soon as you and barpen come up with something. Hopefully I'll be able to meet you at the gym.
----------------------

panzerwagen
07-05-08, 6:09 am
A
R
M
S

Biceps
4 x Giant sets - Heavy BB curl + hammer curls + one arm DB preacher curl + straight bar cable curl

Triceps
4 x Giant sets - Skull crushers + close grip bench press + DB press behind neck + rope pushdown

Forearms
3 x Tri sets - Reverse grip BB curl + standing wrist curl (overhand grip) + seated wrist curl (underhand grip)
3 x super dropsets - Heavy BB wrist curls + light BB wrist curls (both overhand grip)

Abs
6 quick sets of gym ball crunches

Total workout time: 35-40 minutes

----------------

Toni69
07-05-08, 1:13 pm
you asked me:

Toni - any suggestions for efficient training of the upper/middle section of the back? The area between the shoulder blades (lower traps right?)... I need more meat there I suppose. Any favourite exercise? If you want you can post a suggestion in my Mind Game thread.

Ok..To hit the middle and lower fibers of the traps and the rhomboids we can do any one of the following:

we know bent over barbell rows (pronated or neutral grip) and also bent over or incline bench pulls or db rows (palms face inward on incline bench) are great for middle back, lats and rear delts. You can also lie face down on an incline bench and pull db's up as if you are doing a reverse bench press. Remember to look straight ahead and keep your back flexed. I have actually done this on a bench using a cambered bar for something different.

like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CamberedBarLyingRow.html

I like old skool tbar rows (bar in a corner), for middle back work and lats. Seated cable rows will target those areas as well.

To build the upper traps and levator scapula, you can focus on upright rows (wider grip and close grip) and shrugs (DB and BB). Dont forget the high row which covers alot of areas of your back.

I love face pulls with a rope on the cable pulley..great for rear delts, traps and upper back region. I also love using the seated cable row, single arm (using a handle). Great one for lower and middle traps, lats, teres major and minor, rhomboids, and your obliques if you twist through the waist just slightly when pulling in. So you sit on the seated cable row, pull shoulders back and sit upright while pushing chest forward during contraction. Return until arm is extended and shoulder is stretched forward.

I can go on forever here man. LOL

panzerwagen
07-06-08, 11:01 am
Resting form the gym today. Did some cardio before breakfast.

js71474
07-06-08, 1:22 pm
Nice sessions bro! You def. have the intensity down with all the drops and giant sets, love seeing that kind of work! Glad to hear you had fun at the summer house and enjoy your rest day. Don't worry about that diet, sometimes the body needs a little reset, and with the work you put in, the cheat meals will fade fast!

Thrawn
07-07-08, 4:52 am
Hey Panzer!
Just thought about catching up with you and your journey.
You have been pushing hard in here, i see. But what is wrong with your back, brother? What kind of pain/problem do you seem to have?

panzerwagen
07-07-08, 9:22 am
Nice sessions bro! You def. have the intensity down with all the drops and giant sets, love seeing that kind of work! Glad to hear you had fun at the summer house and enjoy your rest day. Don't worry about that diet, sometimes the body needs a little reset, and with the work you put in, the cheat meals will fade fast!

Hehe, I hope those meals will melt away quickly! Appreciate the support JS.

Hey Panzer!
Just thought about catching up with you and your journey.
You have been pushing hard in here, i see. But what is wrong with your back, brother? What kind of pain/problem do you seem to have?

Thanks for catching up on my stuff. Well, both chiropractors I have seen say I have problems with core stability. It started out as pain and serious stiffness in my lower back on the left hand side. Apparently this is the body's way of hindering me from doing anything dangerous; since the core muscles are too weak, the bigger ones cramp up in order to protect.

At times I'm doing really well - I can deadlift some, do heavy squatting etc. But then, out of clear blue sky, the back snaps back at me. I often feel a bit 'strange' in the back, stiff after sleeping etc, but most often this feeling passes away after me behaving good, doing mobility work and core training. For example, this morning I felt no pain at all. I went to the gym to do legs, warmed up with 5 or 6 sets. On my last set of warmup - BANG - the back just cramped up, and now I'm not moving too good and it hurts. I suppose it's not a protruding disc, because then I wouldn't be able to move much - right?

I get so damn depressed from this shit.. it's a drag, expecially since I reckon I'm paying close attention to the back, I warm up PROPERLY, stretch.. you name it.

js71474
07-07-08, 9:28 am
The back just won't leave you be, hate to hear it's still giving you trouble. Maybe you could devote a day or two a week to only hitting moves for the core to try and beef that are up some? Just a thought. I really hope you can get that back under control and get to a point to where it doesn't flare up. Good luck with it, you know we are all here for you. Take care bro!

panzerwagen
07-07-08, 9:29 am
Legs today. Or.. leftovers of legs. Damn fucking shit! Today my back broke down badly. It cramped up during my last set of warm ups for squats.. I'm feeling depressed, but hopefulle time and persistance will allow me to get back on track. Anyway, I felt like going home crying because of the unfairness I experience, feeling sorry for myself.. but I stayed put, moving quite slow, and did a small leg session.

Quads
Leg extensions - 6 sets in groups of 3

Calves
Seated calf press - 4 sets in groups of 3

Hams
Lying leg curl - 3 drop sets, lowering w/one plate at a time, each set consisted of 3 different weights

I added some abs work performed mainly on gym ball. Also did the core training my back could take at the moment.
------------------

Then Barpinator and Jonken showed up. I stayed for an hour or so to coach them through some leg work. Thet did well, and next time we'll "up the dosage" as Mr. Michalik said.

Now I'll creep up in a corner and feel sorry for my stupid ass self

Cheers!

panzerwagen
07-07-08, 9:32 am
The back just won't leave you be, hate to hear it's still giving you trouble. Maybe you could devote a day or two a week to only hitting moves for the core to try and beef that are up some? Just a thought. I really hope you can get that back under control and get to a point to where it doesn't flare up. Good luck with it, you know we are all here for you. Take care bro!

Thanks JS.. True. I probably have to make a desicion and focus more on the core.. also do more mobility stuff: ground fighting, boxning etc... Maybe this is a good opportunity to combine fat shedding w/ core training for a while? We'll see what I'll come up with. Thanks once again!

/P

js71474
07-07-08, 9:34 am
Look at it this way.......you are miles ahead of the game because at least you went in and did what you could instead of doing nothing. So keep your head up panzer, don't let it get you down! You have alot of determination bro and you will get through this. Take it easy till next session and hope you feel better!

panzerwagen
07-07-08, 9:39 am
Look at it this way.......you are miles ahead of the game because at least you went in and did what you could instead of doing nothing. So keep your head up panzer, don't let it get you down! You have alot of determination bro and you will get through this. Take it easy till next session and hope you feel better!

Yeah, I'm glad I stuck in the gym (I also had to wait to help my fellow animals out - important stuff! even though I felt like digging a hole and.. you know).. you know, one comes to the gym and really wants to do some serious training - the goal is to get so damn fucked up, to mash muscle for real. And then BOOM - you're fucked. So depressing. You just want to leave, but at the same time all you want is to be there and do your thing. I'm glad I stayed.

panzerwagen
07-07-08, 2:35 pm
About 8.30 PM. I'm having difficulties in moving around properly. It feels as it has done earlier with this injury or whatever one might call it - still it feels a bit worse this time. I hate this state that I'm in, but I have to find a way out of it! The sad thing is, that every now and then the back works really well - you believe you're getting better and better. The next day you wake up with a slight sensation of pain, noting bad.. but still. Next day: Great feeling again! And today... fucking Hell is unleashed in my back muscles. So boring, so depressing.

Still, I'm happy not to be born with any permanent bodily ailments. As far as I know I'm not carrying any bad disease; I'm not disfigured (some might say so though); I lead a healty life because I want and because I CAN do it. So, this is why I have to find another way of solving this particular problem. It's not lost... not yet anyway. I still feel bad as of now... but I guess it'll pass away soon enough.

Hopefully I'll be able to do some strategic, non lethal back training tomorrow anyway. See you then!

Cheers

js71474
07-07-08, 3:02 pm
I'm no doctor, but sounds like you may have an underlying serious problem panzer. I know the chiropractor said core stability but it sure sounds like a little more than that to me. You may want to have a specialist look at it via x-rays, mri's or however it needs to be done. Really hope it's nothing serious but it wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it.

Thrawn
07-07-08, 3:48 pm
I'm no doctor, but sounds like you may have an underlying serious problem panzer. I know the chiropractor said core stability but it sure sounds like a little more than that to me. You may want to have a specialist look at it via x-rays, mri's or however it needs to be done. Really hope it's nothing serious but it wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it.

I agree here.
Get it checked out, Panzerwagen. Better safe then sorry.
Sucks, but i know how you feel. I always get very down too if things dont work out or if you have an annoying injury. Beginning of the year i had a strained left lat. It frustrated me to the point of tears. But like you, i just put in the effort i COULD do. That builds character and ultimately makes you undefeatable on your journey.

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 4:29 am

I agree here.
Get it checked out, Panzerwagen. Better safe then sorry.
Sucks, but i know how you feel. I always get very down too if things dont work out or if you have an annoying injury. Beginning of the year i had a strained left lat. It frustrated me to the point of tears. But like you, i just put in the effort i COULD do. That builds character and ultimately makes you undefeatable on your journey.

Well, what can I say. Last night I thought about the fact that it might be more serious than I have thought it to be. When I went to bed I was in pain, and I was also behaving like I usually do when in a fever. Suppose my body reacts this way to the injury. After lying in the bed for an hour, maybe more, maybe less, I had to get up. Not only did I have problems moving while lying in the bed - another problem was that I had real trouble just standing up. I kept having to sit down again because of the pain and the back that wouldn't carry me. Anyway, I got up but I had to hold on to the walls, taking little steps in order to stay on my feet. Damn, I was so sad and also afraid. I could still walk, but I surely got a glimpse of what it's like to be disabled in a way. Scary shit brothers. I hope it's not a protruding disc or some other disastrous injury.

Throughout the night I've been sweating like a pig, having trouble turning in bed... I guess you get the picture. Even though it felt a little better pain-wise when I tried to get up this morning, I still had problems staying on my feet, walking... Right now I feel a bit better. I believe it's important not to lie still for too long. Gotta keep moving.. gotta keep using my body to avoid growing stale. I does help to tense the abs when walking.

Today I'll go see my friend who is a chiropractor and a massage therapist. Hopefully he'll be able to soften me up a bit, and maybe he can give me some advice on where to turn in order to find out more about this mess.

Thanks for checking up on me guys!

Thrawn
07-08-08, 4:36 am
You are welcome, Panzerwagen! I just hope you can get it sorted out. I am no doctor nor a specialist, but i would almost say that it sounds like some tissue tear or inflamation of some tissue. Take care of it, brother! Never forget, its a long distance run, not a sprint. Better of missing out on some workouts now then the dreaded long term injury.
Crossing my fingers for you.

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 4:44 am
You are welcome, Panzerwagen! I just hope you can get it sorted out. I am no doctor nor a specialist, but i would almost say that it sounds like some tissue tear or inflamation of some tissue. Take care of it, brother! Never forget, its a long distance run, not a sprint. Better of missing out on some workouts now then the dreaded long term injury.
Crossing my fingers for you.

Yes, it's a long distance run for sure. And that is how I have figured this injury to be for quite a long time now. I'm not a sloppy guy - I do my warmups properly, I do the stretching, never hit the heavier weights, keeping track on form. All this makes it feel even worse, because I feel that I have done it carefully. But what the hell... hopefully it isn't too serious of an injury, and I will be back!

The Cage in 2009 sounds tempting. It would be really something to go there. Maybe I can work something out as well.

Thrawn
07-08-08, 4:57 am
Yes, it's a long distance run for sure. And that is how I have figured this injury to be for quite a long time now. I'm not a sloppy guy - I do my warmups properly, I do the stretching, never hit the heavier weights, keeping track on form. All this makes it feel even worse, because I feel that I have done it carefully. But what the hell... hopefully it isn't too serious of an injury, and I will be back!

The Cage in 2009 sounds tempting. It would be really something to go there. Maybe I can work something out as well.

Haha, it almost sounds like i hear myself here. I also always warm up, do my stretching. Do the working sets BEFORE attempting anything heavy. And i still got a bad strain in the beginning of the year. Now that got me MAD.
And you WILL be back, Panzer. The iron bug got you bad. Admit it =)))
Would be nice to have a big European delegation at the Cage.

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 5:06 am
Haha, it almost sounds like i hear myself here. I also always warm up, do my stretching. Do the working sets BEFORE attempting anything heavy. And i still got a bad strain in the beginning of the year. Now that got me MAD.
And you WILL be back, Panzer. The iron bug got you bad. Admit it =)))
Would be nice to have a big European delegation at the Cage.

Man, I want it so bad Thrawn... I want to lift, I want to do my thing in the fucking gym! I love it in a way that cannot be explaind in words, and I need to get back for real. Just the sensation of holding that Eleiko barbell.. curling it.. !

European delegation, hehe.. that's a nice (and important) way to see it!

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 5:11 am
Hey, I just rose from the computer and I can actually bend forward a bit without falling apart. That is true luxury!

Toni69
07-08-08, 5:13 am
Im all too familiar with back pain...2 bulging disks right on top of one another and a central protrusion in L5/S1 put me out of the game for a long while..and I still did a show in tremendous pain. It took me months to even work my way back into light lifting in a semi-pain free zone because I kept pushing myself till finally I did literally reach my breaking point. This didnt make me hardcore, working through that pain (and I have a high threshold for pain as it is), it made me realize I was being an idiot for forcing my body to do things it wasnt strong enough to do.

To this day, I know when my back acts up and I know how to train smart and I also know when enough is enough. You cannot..and I repeat CANNOT dick around when your back is hurting that bad. Get an MRI and find out what is goin on cause Im gonna tell you..you keep trying to force lifting with a back already weakened by some injury or excess strains, you will do more harm than good to yourself long term. Your back is not something to just take lightly when its injured. Your back and abs take on a huge load when lifting and if that foundation is slowly chipping itself away, your body is telling you something is out of whack and you need to act on it and take care of it now.

Thrawn
07-08-08, 5:13 am
Keeping your head together is what is most important now, Panzer. Frustration will not help and make things worse. Get it checked out and take it day by day. Abide your time and you WILL prevail over this. Just promise you will have it properly examined, brother.

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 5:23 am
Keeping your head together is what is most important now, Panzer. Frustration will not help and make things worse. Get it checked out and take it day by day. Abide your time and you WILL prevail over this. Just promise you will have it properly examined, brother.

Will do!

Jonken
07-08-08, 5:38 am
Hey bro, just checking in on you. Damn didnt understand the injury was so bad yesterday. I hope you'll be back on track soon.

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 5:45 am
Hey bro, just checking in on you. Damn didnt understand the injury was so bad yesterday. I hope you'll be back on track soon.

I didn't either I think. Felt like a sack of shit when you guys showed up, but things turned out even worse during the course of the evening and night. Right now I feel better. Fortunately I'll be able to get to my friend the chiropractor/massage therapist. I suppose this will be a new first step in coming to terms with this mess. The sad thing is that earlier on, I have managed to get back, feeling all right most of the time. But then all of a sudden a strike like this comes out of apparently nothing. Feels a bit unfair.

How are your legs feeling today? I hope we managed to do some damage at least, hehe!

Jonken
07-08-08, 6:21 am
Maybe you'll get a better view of whats wrong with your back. So you can find a way to repair it.

And my legs are quite good right now, ok i can admit that my calves are fucked up. And im quite sore in my hammies, but the quads feel quite untouched. Maybe the soreness in them will come later when im at work

panzerwagen
07-08-08, 6:32 am
Maybe you'll get a better view of whats wrong with your back. So you can find a way to repair it.

And my legs are quite good right now, ok i can admit that my calves are fucked up. And im quite sore in my hammies, but the quads feel quite untouched. Maybe the soreness in them will come later when im at work

Well, I thought I was actually repairing my back.. but no no no.. hehe!

Give your calves a stretch every now and then just to keep 'em from getting too stale. Makes it a bit easier for the blood to flush through the muscles.

I think you did good on the squats.. you didn't have the same tendency of falling forward as Barpen (even though I think he also did a good job) which is a good thing. I want you to get sore in the quads.. just so you know ;o)

Gotta go now. It's time to get moving and meet my friend and get some help with the damned back. Have a good day!

js71474
07-08-08, 8:17 am
Hey Panzer, sorry to hear about all that pain you were in last night! Hope you get some answers when you see the DR. I really hope it's nothing real serious but I know you are in alot of pain. Please take it easy on the back until you can figure out what it is and how to handle it!!!! Good luck at the Dr. and hope you feel better!

panzerwagen
07-09-08, 4:22 am
Hey Panzer, sorry to hear about all that pain you were in last night! Hope you get some answers when you see the DR. I really hope it's nothing real serious but I know you are in alot of pain. Please take it easy on the back until you can figure out what it is and how to handle it!!!! Good luck at the Dr. and hope you feel better!

Thanks man. I went to the chiropractor, and at first he managed to relieve some of the pains I felt by manipulating joints and whatever they say that they're doing. An unfortunate thing though, was that we decided to go for massage/hard pressure on the lower back muscles as well. A natural thing to do I suppose. This caused stiffness and pain, and I actually had a less mobility then when I got there. By then I'd had too much joint manipulation to do it all over again. So.. hopefully I'll get a bit better during the course of the day. I'm not feeling very well right now.

My injury is somewhat tricky my friend, the chiropractor says. In some ways I show symptoms of protruding disc, but I recover way to fast for this. And he says that I shouldn't suffer from promblems like this, considering the shape I'm in and that I'm still young. because of this, he doesn't think any doctor would sign me up for x-rays or other expensive stuff. I'll see him again next week to do the joint manipulation only. Hopefully it'll turn out for the better. If things won't go the right way I have to pick a fight with the doctors.

Another thing that might be part of my problem is that the size of my glutes doesn't match legs or back. Possibly, the glutes are too weak compared to the surrounding muscles, which means they might be the weaker link in my squats and deads etc. Hehe, my friend (Spinkolores here on the FORVM) used to say that "success is located in the castle" - the castle being his way of referring to the glutes. Maybe he's on to something there!

As you can see, there will be no working out in the gym for me today. Still, I hope to get out for an intense walk for an hour or more later today.

Cheers to you all

Thrawn
07-09-08, 4:29 am
Thanks for the update, Panzer! It sucks, but i think that after a while the treatment will help. Joint manipulation sometimes makes the symptomes worse first before it gets better.
Hmmm. Underdeveloped glutes... Do you have a vid of you squatting, brother? Normally the glutes should be a big assistance in squats and grow quick along with your quads.

panzerwagen
07-09-08, 4:34 am
Thanks for the update, Panzer! It sucks, but i think that after a while the treatment will help. Joint manipulation sometimes makes the symptomes worse first before it gets better.
Hmmm. Underdeveloped glutes... Do you have a vid of you squatting, brother? Normally the glutes should be a big assistance in squats and grow quick along with your quads.

Yeah, they should have developed along with the legs. I haven't really thought about it, but when my friend asked me about my small ass compared to the legs I started thinking about it.. I can't say I have done my lunges throughout the years..

No video, sorry.. maybe later when I can walk properly again, hehe...

Thrawn
07-09-08, 4:43 am
Yeah, they should have developed along with the legs. I haven't really thought about it, but when my friend asked me about my small ass compared to the legs I started thinking about it.. I can't say I have done my lunges throughout the years..

No video, sorry.. maybe later when I can walk properly again, hehe...

Hmmmm. No old vid or old pics of you squatting? Too bad. It might be that you are leaning too much forward. This will put more stress on the back and take the load somewhat off the glutes and hams...

js71474
07-09-08, 7:48 am
Thanx for the update panzer, hopefully the line of treatment the DR. wants to do will help but sounds like it may take awhile to gat you feeling better. I'm with Thrawn on the squatting, check the form, you could be leaning a little and not realizing it. Lunges will help bring that area up as well as leg pressing with your feet high on the foot pad, almost like a vertical leg press. Keep us posted brother and we all are hoping for a very speedy recovery!

panzerwagen
07-09-08, 4:14 pm
Hmmmm. No old vid or old pics of you squatting? Too bad. It might be that you are leaning too much forward. This will put more stress on the back and take the load somewhat off the glutes and hams...

Thanx for the update panzer, hopefully the line of treatment the DR. wants to do will help but sounds like it may take awhile to gat you feeling better. I'm with Thrawn on the squatting, check the form, you could be leaning a little and not realizing it. Lunges will help bring that area up as well as leg pressing with your feet high on the foot pad, almost like a vertical leg press. Keep us posted brother and we all are hoping for a very speedy recovery!

Well, apparently something's not as it should be. It might be form, it might be something else - it might be both! I'll start doing the lunges as soon as my back will allow for it to happen.

-------------

Today I've had two nice and intense walks that each lasted a little over an hour - one during the day, the other one in the evening. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym if it feels ok. Do some chins and gym ball work.. abs and stuff..

--------

js71474
07-09-08, 4:21 pm
Well, apparently something's not as it should be. It might be form, it might be something else - it might be both! I'll start doing the lunges as soon as my back will allow for it to happen.

-------------

Today I've had two nice and intense walks that each lasted a little over an hour - one during the day, the other one in the evening. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym if it feels ok. Do some chins and gym ball work.. abs and stuff..

--------
Hey P, just remember if something don't feel right stop what you're doing, reevaluate, and try again. I don't want to see you layed up and not able to do anything. Hope you do well bro and hope the pain subsides for you!

panzerwagen
07-09-08, 4:27 pm
Hey P, just remember if something don't feel right stop what you're doing, reevaluate, and try again. I don't want to see you layed up and not able to do anything. Hope you do well bro and hope the pain subsides for you!

No problem brother! I'd never do anything stupid. Ego stays under the sofa at home.. I do only what seems sensible and feels totally ok!

Thanks for caring...

js71474
07-09-08, 4:30 pm
No problem brother! I'd never do anything stupid. Ego stays under the sofa at home.. I do only what seems sensible and feels totally ok!

Thanks for caring...
That's what we are here for P, keep us posted.

Themostocles
07-10-08, 3:43 am
Well I hope the treatment helps, and way to be smart about it and not push it. Feel better. -T.

panzerwagen
07-10-08, 8:24 am
Well I hope the treatment helps, and way to be smart about it and not push it. Feel better. -T.

Cheers!

-------------------

How I feel today

I felt better getting out of bed this morning. I could even walk properly already from the beggining, which helps keeping the spirit up! So before breakfast I did 45 minutes of walking. Right now I just came back home from the gym, and I feel even better in my back.

Today's workout

Chins - 6 or 7 sets, a 10kg plate was used in two of the last sets
Close grip pull ups - 3 sets, superseted with the last 3 sets of the chins
Supported T-bar rows, reverse grip - 5 sets

Bar dips - 3 quick sets

Rotator cuff work - a series of different movements, several sets

Some light abs work
------------

I'm really in higher spirits now. This little workout went just fine, and I'm glad I was able to do some supported rows and weighted chins.

js71474
07-10-08, 8:45 am
You had a great session bro and very glad to see you are back in high spirits. Glad you were able to hit a routine at the gym and we are all hoping you continue to feel better. Keep your head up P!

Thrawn
07-10-08, 9:18 am
Nice work, Panzer! It seems the back held up nicely! I hope this continues to do so.
Just be carefull, brother!
Keep it coming!

Carpe Diem P.T
07-10-08, 11:04 pm
good to see the back is holding up!

thanks for all your kind words in my thread. life throws these curve balls at ya but ya gotta keep going.

im glad to see you are staying so consistent. very motivating!

Themostocles
07-11-08, 4:40 am
Be careful, but that was a nice little w/o. Keep at it and things will get better. -T.

panzerwagen
07-12-08, 3:24 pm
You had a great session bro and very glad to see you are back in high spirits. Glad you were able to hit a routine at the gym and we are all hoping you continue to feel better. Keep your head up P!

Nice work, Panzer! It seems the back held up nicely! I hope this continues to do so.
Just be carefull, brother!
Keep it coming!

good to see the back is holding up!

thanks for all your kind words in my thread. life throws these curve balls at ya but ya gotta keep going.

im glad to see you are staying so consistent. very motivating!

Be careful, but that was a nice little w/o. Keep at it and things will get better. -T.

Thanks for your support lads! I'm playing it as safe as possible (without sitting totally still), I believe it's better to use a broken body than to stall and get stale. Today it's Saturday and I feel even better. Haven't thought about the back very much today, because I haven't felt any pain whatsoever. Yesterday I did some cardio in the morning, then I went out to the summer house for a night.. just slacking, taking care of the house, taking a quick swim in the lake nearby, went for a long walk in rainy weather.

Now I'm back, and tomorrow morning I'm going to the gym to see what I can do. As for the nearest future, I'll avoid squats and stuff that taxes the back heavily. Apart from that I'll stick to a bit of fat burning while I'm at it.

The good thing about an injury like this, is that one has to pay close attention and focus hard on everything that is done with the body. This is a way of finding new ways to exhaust different bodyparts, doing things stricter and safer.. another way of learning and relearning to play the game. All in all, it's still a mind game, but now one has to add a parallel level of doing it. The trick is to make all the pieces fit together tightly, and to do it as intensely as possible while at it.

And Brad: A kind and supportive word doesn't cost a thing. Still it can mean so much, not only to the one it's directed, but also to the one that gets the chance to say it.

Cheers to you all!

panzerwagen
07-13-08, 5:40 am
Even though my back isn't nearly as good as it should be, I had an allright session in the gym this morning. Started off with a proper warmup, walking and jogging slowly to the gym. Took my time to stretch properly and I also made sure to warm up my rotator cuffs before I started working.

Chest
Tri sets - 3 x Incline bench press + cable cross flyes + seated plate loaded press

Shoulders
Additional warm up - cable raises + rotator cuff work
Supersets - 4 x Lateral DB raise (working w/light weight first, then going up the rack one step for the last few reps) + rotator cuff movement w/cable

Arms
Biceps: Supersets - 4 x Standing alt. DB curl + straight bar cable curl
Triceps: Tri sets - 3 x Close grip pushdown + bench dips + rope pushdown
Forearms: Supersets - 4 x DB curl w/overhand grip (almost with a hammer curl angle to it) + standing DB wrist curls

Finishing off with some lighter abs work, proper stretching and a slow jog back home. Back feels ok at the moment.

Themostocles
07-13-08, 1:55 pm
Lots of supersets, liking it. Glad the back is doing ok; slept funny on mine and its sore. So I don't know much about you Panzer, what kind of lifter are you are at 100%, power or bodybuilder? -T.

panzerwagen
07-13-08, 3:28 pm
Lots of supersets, liking it. Glad the back is doing ok; slept funny on mine and its sore. So I don't know much about you Panzer, what kind of lifter are you are at 100%, power or bodybuilder? -T.

I've never been a heavy lifter, which means I don't do the powerlifting at all. Not a strong guy weight wise. I'm a high volume lifter, focusing much on intensity and quick workouts. This means including a lot of super- tri- and giant sets in the game. You can see what I do in the earlier posts in this thread if you're interested. I really like the furious manner I manage to bring out in these workouts, and I find this way of training fits me rather well. But who knows? I might find new and interesting stuff as time files.

My bodyweight is about 75-77kg, 180cm tall/short
Max deadlift: 1 rep on 130kg (sorry, wrote 2 reps but edited. my fault)
Max squat: 2 reps on 130kg

As far as the deads are concerned, I haven't been able to max out for ages. I don't know why (probably the back issue), but I haven't even been able to rep out on 100kg since a couple of years back. I used to be able to do well over 10 quick and intense reps for a couple of sets when things were ok. At some point I stopped including them in my workouts, and later when I starded doing them again, my form was shitty and the back took some abuse. Squats have been ok despite the back issue. It wasn't more than 2 months ago I did 130kg for 1 rep during a leg session.

Apart from the bodybuilding mentality and the training itself, I have a mind set on the aesthetic part of this game. This is also why I don't appreciate the bodybuilding heroes of today as much as I enjoy the physiqal appearences of old school bodybuilders.

Thanks for showing interest in what I do Themostocles! So whatabout yourself - what do you do, and why do you do it?

Cheers

Themostocles
07-13-08, 3:39 pm
As for what I do, I am still figuring that out. I hit a year of dedicated lifting this next week. Right now though I am the cliche powerbuilder; I incorporate bodybuilding, power, and olympic lifts into my routines. I don't ever plan on competing in anyway, besides with myself. Or some friendly competition with my fellow animals. I am trying to slim down right now. As for your method, I have a friend that works out the same way. He's got a bigger frame than you, but he is a volume/superset addict. It works awesome for him, and he is getting ready to compete next summer. He squats, but rarely deadlifts, and rarely does barbell benches. He has alot of good stuff in his journey.-T.

panzerwagen
07-13-08, 3:45 pm
As for what I do, I am still figuring that out. I hit a year of dedicated lifting this next week. Right now though I am the cliche powerbuilder; I incorporate bodybuilding, power, and olympic lifts into my routines. I don't ever plan on competing in anyway, besides with myself. Or some friendly competition with my fellow animals. I am trying to slim down right now. As for your method, I have a friend that works out the same way. He's got a bigger frame than you, but he is a volume/superset addict. It works awesome for him, and he is getting ready to compete next summer. He squats, but rarely deadlifts, and rarely does barbell benches. He has alot of good stuff in his journey.-T.

I see. Well, it certainly takes a while to figure out what compels most to you in this game. Time is an important factor for allowing what will happen or not.

I rarely do BB bench either. And when I do them it's light stuff because of a shoulder injury way back. The incline, especially DBs, have worked though, but I'm not strong in the press.. don't even enjoy training chest that much actually.

Who's this guy with the good-stuff-journey you're talking about?

Themostocles
07-13-08, 3:51 pm
Hola Bola, my ABC coordinator. He got a journey on here, and vids on you tube. -T.

Thrawn
07-14-08, 4:10 am
Looks like you are easing your way back into it, Panzer! That brings a smile to my face.

js71474
07-14-08, 7:44 am
I see your easing back into the gym, great news! Glad you are feeling better and you have a great positive attitude about just having to find new ways to do things! Glad to see you hitting the gym bro, just really keep your focus sharp. Hope all is well with you P, take care!

panzerwagen
07-14-08, 3:32 pm
Thanks guys for supporting the slightly disabled Swede! It means a lot to have you on board my Mind Game, no doubt about it! I'm getting better but I won't take anything for granted. I'll get back to you on Wednesday after next leg session. I'll see what I can do next time.

Thrawn
07-14-08, 3:34 pm
Easy does it, Panzerwagen. Train smart and safe. We got your back, no doubt about that.

panzerwagen
07-16-08, 2:14 pm
Back in the gym this evening. Did legs, and I managed to keep an intense session without any problems with the back.

LEGS and ABS - 55 minutes work time

Quads
4 x Special supersets - Leg extensions done in groups of 3 + DB lunges w/18kg in each hand

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 4 sets in groups of 3; increased weight on set 3 and 4

Hammies
3 x Supersets - Standing leg curl + stiff legged deadlifts w/barbell only (playing it safe)

Abs
3 x Supersets - Sit up on decline bench + stick twist
3 sets of crunches w/body flat on floor

Round off - 10 minute slow jog back home

I think I managed this fairly well considering the problems I've had with the back. A good recovery, although I'm far from superior shape.

Cheers

Jonken
07-16-08, 2:19 pm
hey! great to see your doing good. Just play it easy so you wont get stuck again. But i bet you do.

js71474
07-16-08, 2:22 pm
Hey panzer, glad to hear you are feeling better!! The leg work you did looks good bro, nice and intense!! Killed the abs as well, I'm sure it felt good to throw the weight around for awhile. Hope you enjoyed your time at the summer house, and hope you continue to feel better. Stay strong P!

panzerwagen
07-16-08, 2:38 pm
Hey panzer, glad to hear you are feeling better!! The leg work you did looks good bro, nice and intense!! Killed the abs as well, I'm sure it felt good to throw the weight around for awhile. Hope you enjoyed your time at the summer house, and hope you continue to feel better. Stay strong P!

Thanks for dropping by! Yeah I had a nice time at the summer house. I tend to keep myself busy there even though I also want to get some serious reading done.. I go to the sea or the lake for a swim, working on the house - painting, garden work and whatever needs to be done. Even did some morning cardio before breakfast yesterday.

It was nice to hit the gym in this intense manner. Man, the gym is what I miss most when I'm out of town..

js71474
07-16-08, 2:43 pm
Thanks for dropping by! Yeah I had a nice time at the summer house. I tend to keep myself busy there even though I also want to get some serious reading done.. I go to the sea or the lake for a swim, working on the house - painting, garden work and whatever needs to be done. Even did some morning cardio before breakfast yesterday.

It was nice to hit the gym in this intense manner. Man, the gym is what I miss most when I'm out of town..
Glad you had a great time, and got a chance to get some stuff done. Missing the gym is the ANIMAL in you bro! Good to have you back and stay on track to continue to get better!!

panzerwagen
07-16-08, 2:49 pm
Glad you had a great time, and got a chance to get some stuff done. Missing the gym is the ANIMAL in you bro! Good to have you back and stay on track to continue to get better!!

I'll try.. no man.. sorry.. I will - period! Hehe...

Thrawn
07-16-08, 4:04 pm
Nice work, Panzer! Good to see you work around things and keeping the intensity up. Man, i can still feel your frustration. Must be hard on you, not being able to let it all out in the gym. Just keep at it. After rain comes sunshine. You WILL persevere and you WILL overcome this bump. No doubt in my mind about that.

panzerwagen
07-17-08, 9:46 am
Nice work, Panzer! Good to see you work around things and keeping the intensity up. Man, i can still feel your frustration. Must be hard on you, not being able to let it all out in the gym. Just keep at it. After rain comes sunshine. You WILL persevere and you WILL overcome this bump. No doubt in my mind about that.

Thanks man! It is frustrating, but yesterday I think I managed pretty good to go on with enough force and intensity. The only thing is that I don't dare to move around faster between exercises and in general.. I want things to happen at high speed, but I guess I'll manage anyway.. for now. I just got home from the gym, and today I had a good session as well.. Half way through the workout I felt nauseous, so I guess that's evidence enough that the workout held intensity enough!
------------

Today's workout - Upper body

Shoulders
Supersets x 3 - Seated DB lateral raise (leaning forward) w/one drop down the rack each set + cable rotator cuff movement
BB Clean and press - 3 quick sets, performed from standing position w/light weight

Back
Supersets x 3 - Chins + bent over BB row w/fairly light weight to save the back
Supersets x 3 - Supported T-bar row + close grip pulldown

Chest
Tri sets x 3 - Decline bench + DB flyes + plate loaded machine press

Arms
Tri sets x 3 - Heavy BB curl + hammer curl + DB scott curl
Tri sets x 3 - Skull crushers + bench dips + rope pushdown

I jogged back home even though I felt miserable during and after the session.. it's like the final test.. do I have what it takes to get home a little faster than by just walking, hehe.. I skipped out on forearms today.. shame on me!

---------------

js71474
07-17-08, 9:52 am
No shame in skipping forearms cause you killed your upper body bro! Awesome session P! You did a ton of work and I know it felt good, you will definitely be sore after that!!

panzerwagen
07-17-08, 10:01 am
No shame in skipping forearms cause you killed your upper body bro! Awesome session P! You did a ton of work and I know it felt good, you will definitely be sore after that!!

Thanks JS.. Yeah, I hope I get sore enough. Today my damn glutes are fucked from yeterday's lunges. I also got a nice cramp in the back of the thighs during yesterday's workout when I did them together with the leg extensions. I'm gonna stick to doing lunges if I can, because I suspect the glutes may be part of my back problems. I need a stronger ass strictly speaking! "Success is located in the 'castle' " so to speak...

Thanks for dropping by

js71474
07-17-08, 10:10 am
Thanks JS.. Yeah, I hope I get sore enough. Today my damn glutes are fucked from yeterday's lunges. I also got a nice cramp in the back of the thighs during yesterday's workout when I did them together with the leg extensions. I'm gonna stick to doing lunges if I can, because I suspect the glutes may be part of my back problems. I need a stronger ass strictly speaking! "Success is located in the 'castle' " so to speak...

Thanks for dropping by
Sounds like the lunges worked, keep up the good work you are doing!!

panzerwagen
07-18-08, 10:25 am
Went to see the chiropractor-friend this morning. He helped me by sort of "waking up" my left hip joint.. activating it so to speak.. feels quite allright at the moment. I just got home from some intense training of ground fighting/wrestling/grappling at a friend's place. It was awsome but both my upper and lower body is already sore from the recent workouts I've had, so it got a bit tougher for me to hang on, hehe... Anyway, this type of training is fucking great for stamina as well as cardio! Tomorrow I'm up for some leg training. Hopefully the back will be in fairly good shape!

Cheers

panzerwagen
07-19-08, 9:33 am
Got up this morning to do some leg training done. But my body felt so sore and broken from the previous workouts, and from yesterday's wrestling. My knee joint was stiff and hurt from this shit... So, ending up in the gym anyway I decided to do something that I had never done before. Enven though the calves and hammies didn't get what they deserve, this workout really got me. The warm up contained some ab stuff, stretching and 3 sets of hyperextensions.

Legs
I did some sort of circuit training for the entire legs, kind of giant sets or whatever you might want to call them. One set of each exercise following each other without rest. This is how the story went:

Leg extensions (done in groups of 3)
Squats while holding a barbell with arms stretched above my head
Seated calf press
Lying leg curls

Increasing the weight on every exercise but the squat for each circuit. The whoe circuit was done x 4.

Abs
Tri sets x 3 - Decline bench sit ups + gym ball crunches + stick twists
Rounded off with another 3 sets of hyperextensions + some gym ball exercises for the back

-----------------

panzerwagen
07-20-08, 5:44 am
Upper body training. Felt like shit when going to the gym, and I figured I could have taken this day off to get properly rested until next workout. Nonetheless I got there. It was a good workout, but it wasn't what I would want it to be like. Still, one can't always play the game on top of it all.. the ups and downs are part of the game whether we like it or not.

Back
Giant sets x 3 - Chins + T-bar (cornered) + one arm DB row + standing cable rows w/rope

Shoulders
Giant sets x 3 - Seated Arnold press + seated DB lateral raise + cable rear lateral raise + rotator cuff movement

Chest
Flat DB press x 3 - Dropping weight once every set. Going heavier each set. Haven't done the flat press in a LONG time due to past shoulder problems. I think it went fairly well.

Arms
Supersets x 5 - DB curl + heavy cable pushdown
Standing wrist curl w/barbell, first underhand, then overhand grip x 2
Supersets x 3 - Standing heavy BB wrist curl behind back + standing DB wrist curl

Carpe Diem P.T
07-20-08, 9:14 am
u could have come up with a million excuses not to go. but u didnt. plain and simple. now thats the difference between wanting something and earning it.

panzerwagen
07-20-08, 10:30 am
u could have come up with a million excuses not to go. but u didnt. plain and simple. now thats the difference between wanting something and earning it.

Hehe, thanks man! Nice of you to drop by with some words of motivation...

Thrawn
07-21-08, 6:23 am
Thats Brad for ya =) Sharp tongue and never holding back in his replies. Great motivator, great in giving critique.
And i agree with him, Panzer! Its easy NOT to go to the gym with everything going on. It takes HEART to keep doing this, regardless of your circumstances.

js71474
07-21-08, 7:26 am
Way to go P! You went in and did your thing instead of staying home, that proves you are an ANIMAL bro! Hope the back is continuing to get better, great to see you getting in there and hittin it hard P!

panzerwagen
07-22-08, 7:35 am
Thats Brad for ya =) Sharp tongue and never holding back in his replies. Great motivator, great in giving critique.
And i agree with him, Panzer! Its easy NOT to go to the gym with everything going on. It takes HEART to keep doing this, regardless of your circumstances.

Way to go P! You went in and did your thing instead of staying home, that proves you are an ANIMAL bro! Hope the back is continuing to get better, great to see you getting in there and hittin it hard P!

Thanks guys!
----------

Just got home from the gym. Today I tried to squeeze in many sets into the workout. Even though many of these sets didn't hold many reps, I think I managed to mangle the legs up pretty good.

LEGS und ABS

Quads
Leg extensions - 2 sets in groups of 10 (going for 10 straight sets each time, only letting the pain fade away between each set)
DB lunges - 4 sets w/moderate weight

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 3 sets in groups of 4

Hammies
Supersets x 3 - Light stiff legged deads + lying leg curl

Abs
Special tri sets x 2 - Gym ball crunches in groups of 3 + crunch w/body flat on floor + stick twists

Total sets: Legs = 42; Abs = 10
Total work time: 1 hour
Round off: 10 minute jog back home
----------------------

js71474
07-22-08, 7:41 am
Good leg day P! You hit some intensity boosters and got some lunges in there. Still got some good volume and done in an hour, good day panzer, you will be feeling that one for a couple days!

panzerwagen
07-22-08, 7:53 am
Good leg day P! You hit some intensity boosters and got some lunges in there. Still got some good volume and done in an hour, good day panzer, you will be feeling that one for a couple days!

Yeah, I hope so! It's a great feeling not being able to walk stairs or sit down properly due to soreness.. you gotta love it.. 'Love hurts' someone sang in a tune a looong time ago, and he's right.

Cheers JS!

js71474
07-22-08, 8:22 am
Yeah, I hope so! It's a great feeling not being able to walk stairs or sit down properly due to soreness.. you gotta love it.. 'Love hurts' someone sang in a tune a looong time ago, and he's right.

Cheers JS!Not being able to walk stairs or sit down tells you that you hit it hard, and agreed that 'love hurts' especially in this case! Cheers back to you P!

panzerwagen
07-23-08, 11:31 am
Morning: 45 minutes of cardio before breakfast
------------------
Afternoon: Upper body mangle

Chest
Giant sets x 3 - Flat DB press + incline DB flyes + plate loaded machine press + cable cross

Shoulders
Tri sets x 4 - Cable rear delt pull + BB clean and press (from upright position) + seated DB lateral raise

Back
Giant sets x 3 - Chins + bent over BB row + one arm DB row + seated DB shrugs

Arms
Giant sets x 3 - Skull crushers + bench dips + DB press behind neck + rope pushdowns
Giant sets x 3 - Standing alt. DB curl + hammer curls + close grip EZ-bar curl + straight bar cable curl
Supersets x 5 - Reverse grip BB curl + BB wrist curl

js71474
07-23-08, 11:35 am
You got to be hurtin after all that work! You killed your upper body P, nice job bro!! Threw in some really good exercises too. Good to see that kind of volume. Serious training, I love it....hope all is well with you and hope the back is getting better and better!

panzerwagen
07-23-08, 11:42 am
You got to be hurtin after all that work! You killed your upper body P, nice job bro!! Threw in some really good exercises too. Good to see that kind of volume. Serious training, I love it....hope all is well with you and hope the back is getting better and better!

Cheers JS... yeah, I got a bit tired from doing this. The back is fairly OK today, but I have my ups and downs... each day is sort of a different story. Got to start working the abs, obliques and lower back like a bloody animal if I ever want to get better for REAL.

Thanks for checking in...

Themostocles
07-23-08, 12:03 pm
Those are some amazing giant sets, you must have amazing endurance. I would be panting and lying on the floor after those. -T.

panzerwagen
07-24-08, 4:16 am
Those are some amazing giant sets, you must have amazing endurance. I would be panting and lying on the floor after those. -T.

Thanks Themostocles. I suppose my endurance has developed some since I started working like this. Of course, there's no way to go very heavy throughout these sets, but that's not what I'm after either. Believe me, I feel like lying on the floor for a while to get rested, but some strange thing in you just makes you get back in the saddle to do it. Hell, between (and during) each set I feel like I want to rest more, catch my breat just a while longer to get ready for the next amount of work to be done. But even though I feel like shit I get on it again... out of breath when I begin, out of breath when I finish. And obviously it can be done this way even if you feel like just giving it up. It's more of a mind game than anything else, and I recommend you to give it a shot sometime. It's as beautiful as it is ugly!

Thanks for the brotherhood request by the way!

Thrawn
07-24-08, 6:48 am
Good Lord, Panzer.... that is some awesome giant sets... how the hell did you handle that? Think i would have folded for that...
Keep at it, brother, good to see you working your ass off despite everything!

panzerwagen
07-25-08, 3:02 am
Good Lord, Panzer.... that is some awesome giant sets... how the hell did you handle that? Think i would have folded for that...
Keep at it, brother, good to see you working your ass off despite everything!

I don't know... felt sick during most of the workout. But it's fun... in a way.

Anyway, I hope you'll be able to cope with your situation and your temper. Just like everyone else I'll try to help out to keep your spirits up the best I can. Thanks for dropping by Thrawn!

panzerwagen
07-25-08, 12:59 pm
Oh boy, this day has definitely worn me down to the bone. Started off with some cardio before breakfast; went to do legs and abs at noon; shortly after the gym session I went to a friend and did some fight training... I'm wasted!

The legs and abs

Abs
(Back) Hyperextensions - 3 sets
Standing oblique crunch w/dumbbell - 3 sets
Lying leg raise w/light dumbbell between the feet - 3 sets

Quads
Leg extensions - 2 sets in groups of 5
Walking DB lunges - 3 sets

Calves
Seated calf press - 3 sets in grups of 3

Hams
Stiff legged deads - 5 rapid sets, moderate weight

Abs
Standing oblique crunch w/dumbbell - 5 sets, going up the rack without any rest
Decline bench static crunch - 5 sets w/15kg plate
(Back) Hyperextensions - 3 sets

I wanted to focus on my abs today, and I try to take it slow, playing it safe with the back... need to be careful with the SLDL. This was a hard working day!
----------------

Themostocles
07-25-08, 11:03 pm
I understand working your core hard, but why do it before your legs? I would think the pre-exhaustion would make the risk worse for your back... -T.

panzerwagen
07-26-08, 3:38 am
I understand working your core hard, but why do it before your legs? I would think the pre-exhaustion would make the risk worse for your back... -T.

I get your point Themostocles. But I make sure to think about these things before I go ahead, and I made sure not to go too hard with the first series of exercises for the abs. Still, I believe it's important to warm up the abs properly when I'm up for leg training, you know to really get the abs activated to be able to take the workload. Also remember that I didn't squat, which meant I didn't put too much pressure on the back this day. Trying to take it slow with squats and leg presses. Man, I want to do that stuff but I have to keep myself from doing it for a while longer. Partly because I'm afraid things are gonna fuck up again.

Anyway, point taken and I appreciate your concern. Thanks!

panzerwagen
07-26-08, 3:46 am
Today my obliques are very sore. I'm not used to do that dumbbell shit for abs, but right now it feels like I found something new to play with. In the future I will put more focus into abs and lower back training, including additional weight in exercises whenever possible. Adding weight is something I haven't done much for a long time, which can also be an important reason for why I suffer from this back injury. As time flew by, my squats improved, but did I make sure to bring the same strength to my abs and lower back? - Nope, I didn't... and now I've learned a lesson.

Tonight I think I actually slept through the entire night, and unfortunately this rarely happens. I guess I have to put in as many as 3 training sessions every day in order to be able to sleep like this, hehe... yesterday's work really got to me. So today I'm taking a day off to get proper rest.

Check you later

js71474
07-26-08, 4:30 pm
Enjoy your day off P, you deserve it. Nice leg and ab day bro!! Real good, solid work! I think you will like adding the weight to the ab work, you will see some amazing results, kills you at first but the payoff is worth it. Good to see you hittin it without a whole lot of pain! Hope you are feelin better. Keep up the good work, and I am going to steal your phrase....Cheers to you P!

panzerwagen
07-26-08, 5:14 pm
Enjoy your day off P, you deserve it. Nice leg and ab day bro!! Real good, solid work! I think you will like adding the weight to the ab work, you will see some amazing results, kills you at first but the payoff is worth it. Good to see you hittin it without a whole lot of pain! Hope you are feelin better. Keep up the good work, and I am going to steal your phrase....Cheers to you P!

Thanks JS! The back feels great today - haven't felt anything at all except the soreness I got from doing those standing dumbbell oblique crunches... hurts as hell! What do you native speakers of English call that specific exercise by the way?

You go ahead and steal whatever you need!

panzerwagen
07-26-08, 6:19 pm
Dumbbell side bend?

Themostocles
07-26-08, 6:57 pm
Dumbbell side bend?

That is what I call them. -T.

panzerwagen
07-27-08, 6:45 am
Upper Body Training

Chest
Tri sets x 3 - Incline DB press + plate loaded machine press + incline DB flyes

Shoulders
Giant sets x 4 - Standing DB lateral raise + seated DB shrugs + rear delt cable raise + rotator cuff movement

Back
Supersets x 3 - Bent over BB row + chins
Supersets x 3 - Supported T-bar row + hyperextensions (last 2 hypers w/additional weight)

Arms
Tri sets x 3 - Heavy BB curl + hammer curl + standing DB preacher curl
Supersets x 5 - Skull crushers + rope pushdown (all supersets done with almost no rest at all)

Total workout time 55 minutes. I don't like that. I don't know why it takes so long. I want to keep the workouts a bit shorter timewise, but then I would have to cut down on the rest time which is already very restricted. I have to figure something out. I also skipped forearms today due to the time limit. My fault, I'll make it up tomorrow morning or tonight I suppose.

panzerwagen
07-27-08, 5:13 pm
It's close to midnight. Not too long ago I came home after doing a gig at a small music festival here in Stockholm. I was tired when I got home, but I also wanted to get on my feet to walk for a while in the cool night air. It's been very hot in Stockholm for a few days now... too hot. Anyway, I went for a walk despite the tiredness. Glad I did it... 50 minutes of normal walking is 50 minutes of good stuff. Tomorrow I'm up for morning cardio as well as legs and abs at the gym. I don't think I'll go for squats yet considering the troublesome back, but we'll see. Maybe I'll dare hitting some high reps in the leg press to burn up my quads... smother them in the painful acids of exhaustion.

Good night for now

js71474
07-28-08, 10:24 am
Dumbell side bends fit the bill for those.....Nice upper body work P, and 55 minutes is pretty quick for all that work! The forearms got some work from what you did there so don't sweat not hitting them directly. Glad to hear the back is better, definitely a relief!! What kind of music you play? Great work man as always!!

panzerwagen
07-29-08, 11:25 am
Dumbell side bends fit the bill for those.....Nice upper body work P, and 55 minutes is pretty quick for all that work! The forearms got some work from what you did there so don't sweat not hitting them directly. Glad to hear the back is better, definitely a relief!! What kind of music you play? Great work man as always!!

Damn, I'm still a tiny bit sore from the side bends... fantastic! True, the forearms got some work done anyway. I rarely see people hit the forearms directly, which is a shame. It's good to let them work for real regularly.

The back IS better. But I'm still afraid it's gonna sneak up on me when I least expect it and go BOOM! But yesterday I even did some light squats, and it feels great both in back and quads today. I'll tell you all about it below...

Right now I play rarely, but when I do it's with my progressive metal band Wolverine (http://www.wolverine-overdose.com) or with a guy called Frasse - some sort of singer/songwriter/folk stuff... don't know what to call it in English terms. Last Sunday was a gig with Frasse, me playing the upright bass. Apart from all the metal I've been playing throughout the years, a lot of time has been put into jazz of different kinds.

Thanks for checking in JS. Appreciate it for real!

-----------------------------

Yesterday's legs and abs

Proper warmup including stretching, some hypers, very strict and light squatting. Due to the time I put on the squats (slow and controlled) I didn't do anything for the hammies. Priorities.

Quads
After proper warmup w/light weights I decided to try squatting with my bodyweight on the bar only. One step at the time to get back in the saddle. Not much rest between these sets though. I fear... no I REALLY fear to lose it again! And yesterday was 3 weeks since the back said no.

Squats - 3 slow sets w/ bodyweight (75kg) on bar, a 4th set of 20 reps w/50kg to burn out
Supersets x 3 - Leg extensions in groups of 3 + DB walking lunges

Calves
Standing press in hacklift - 3 sets in groups of 3, going heavier than usual on every set

Abs
Lying leg raise - 5 sets w/light dumbbell between feet, burnout without weight for the last reps of every set
(Back) Hyperextensions - 3 sets w/additional weight

js71474
07-29-08, 12:07 pm
Good to see you warming up properly and easing your way on the squats. Nice session, and the side bends will make you sore, nice move. Good that the back is slowly coming around. I have heard of your band, damn it is a small world bro! Love the music, I am a huge metalhead and just all out music lover, music has been a huge part of my life for many years. When I hit the link to your site it clicked immediately that I have heard your stuff, great stuff you guys are doing! Continue the way you are going P, the injury seems to be getting better and better, you will be back lifting hard and heavy very soon. Take care of yourself bro!

panzerwagen
07-30-08, 6:22 am
Good to see you warming up properly and easing your way on the squats. Nice session, and the side bends will make you sore, nice move. Good that the back is slowly coming around. I have heard of your band, damn it is a small world bro! Love the music, I am a huge metalhead and just all out music lover, music has been a huge part of my life for many years. When I hit the link to your site it clicked immediately that I have heard your stuff, great stuff you guys are doing! Continue the way you are going P, the injury seems to be getting better and better, you will be back lifting hard and heavy very soon. Take care of yourself bro!

I always try to warm up in a proper manner. I even believe it's more important to cut the workout time I do in the gym if I feel I need a longer warm up.

Hey, can't believe you've heard of the band I play in... Amazing! Where did you hear about the band first place? Glad you like the stuff we do.. thanks a lot for that!

I try to stay composed, try to play it safe with the damned back. Damn it to hell, hehe! I'm not a very strong fellow, so working the heavier weights is something that I'm not doing. When I feel good enough I'll try to continue a little heavier than I'm currently doing. Still, what is to be considered heavy is not the weight itself, but rather my own relation to a particular weight. If it's heavy for me, I'm lifting heavy. I weigh in at about 75 kg, and I have done a 130 kg squat maximum. I can work a couple of sets around 10 reps +/- with 100 kg. To me this is heavy stuff even though I can rep out fairly well around 100 kg. But things are gonna need a change someday. I think I need to skip the giants and tri sets for a while to do some regular sets in order to increase the weights. Even though I really like to train the way I do, more poundage is probably needed if I want to develop in the right direction. But we'll see what happens. Right now I'm glad to be able to use my back and walk properly. Not everyone can do that!

Thanks for your fantastic support JS!

panzerwagen
07-30-08, 6:26 am
Went to my friend to do some MMA training this morning. It's a very nive way of training many different things... stamina, fighting, cardio... you name it! I always get beaten because I suck. And even though we take it easy and do it all in a gentle manner, I find myself fucked up and exhausted every time we do it. This is great!

I'm gonna rest now for a few hours, then get my ass to the gym to do some upper body training. Today I think I'm gonna focus on my shoulders - take time to do a lot of rotator cuff work and get a good pump and pain.

See you later

js71474
07-30-08, 10:05 am
I always try to warm up in a proper manner. I even believe it's more important to cut the workout time I do in the gym if I feel I need a longer warm up.

Hey, can't believe you've heard of the band I play in... Amazing! Where did you hear about the band first place? Glad you like the stuff we do.. thanks a lot for that!

I try to stay composed, try to play it safe with the damned back. Damn it to hell, hehe! I'm not a very strong fellow, so working the heavier weights is something that I'm not doing. When I feel good enough I'll try to continue a little heavier than I'm currently doing. Still, what is to be considered heavy is not the weight itself, but rather my own relation to a particular weight. If it's heavy for me, I'm lifting heavy. I weigh in at about 75 kg, and I have done a 130 kg squat maximum. I can work a couple of sets around 10 reps +/- with 100 kg. To me this is heavy stuff even though I can rep out fairly well around 100 kg. But things are gonna need a change someday. I think I need to skip the giants and tri sets for a while to do some regular sets in order to increase the weights. Even though I really like to train the way I do, more poundage is probably needed if I want to develop in the right direction. But we'll see what happens. Right now I'm glad to be able to use my back and walk properly. Not everyone can do that!

Thanks for your fantastic support JS!And I appreciate your support P! Heavy is great but really hittin the form and feelin every muscle work is the absolute key to growth, and from what I always see in here is you staying true to form and really getting that connection to feel what muscle group you are working so with that being said you are doing exactly what you need to for growth. Heavy will come once the back is in 100% shape and hittin all the giants and supers the way you do is just awesome cause it takes alot out of you. Don't sell yourself short bro, you consistently hit it hard everytime and I love coming in here and seeing all the work you put in! Remember, heavy is just a word but truly making the muscles and body work is where it's at. Love what youre doing here! I am a big fan of metal and I heard of your band through a friend of mine that works at an independent record store that I go to all the time, and from there I saw you guys on the candlelight website and read about Prog Power fest and reviews in mags. When it comes to metal there's not much I haven't heard of. I am still in that 'HOLY SHIT' mode that you are in that band. that is awesome Panzer (I sound like a total nerd right now).

Went to my friend to do some MMA training this morning. It's a very nive way of training many different things... stamina, fighting, cardio... you name it! I always get beaten because I suck. And even though we take it easy and do it all in a gentle manner, I find myself fucked up and exhausted every time we do it. This is great!

I'm gonna rest now for a few hours, then get my ass to the gym to do some upper body training. Today I think I'm gonna focus on my shoulders - take time to do a lot of rotator cuff work and get a good pump and pain.

See you laterThe MMA training is great for you man, it trains so many different things at once and will definitely put a hurtin on your body. I have done a little with some friends of mine, but nothing major and it is tough. Can't wait to see your shoulder routine bro! Keep up all the good work P!

panzerwagen
07-30-08, 11:49 am
And I appreciate your support P! Heavy is great but really hittin the form and feelin every muscle work is the absolute key to growth, and from what I always see in here is you staying true to form and really getting that connection to feel what muscle group you are working so with that being said you are doing exactly what you need to for growth. Heavy will come once the back is in 100% shape and hittin all the giants and supers the way you do is just awesome cause it takes alot out of you. Don't sell yourself short bro, you consistently hit it hard everytime and I love coming in here and seeing all the work you put in! Remember, heavy is just a word but truly making the muscles and body work is where it's at. Love what youre doing here! I am a big fan of metal and I heard of your band through a friend of mine that works at an independent record store that I go to all the time, and from there I saw you guys on the candlelight website and read about Prog Power fest and reviews in mags. When it comes to metal there's not much I haven't heard of. I am still in that 'HOLY SHIT' mode that you are in that band. that is awesome Panzer (I sound like a total nerd right now).

What can I say - Thank you once again JS! And nothing silly about being in that 'holy shit' mode... It is quite unexpected I suppose. But I'm just one of those guys in the street you know... just with some circus tricks in my back pocket, hehe! Would you like to PM me your address so I can send you something?

panzerwagen
07-30-08, 12:00 pm
First a good warm up
At home I did some stretching and gym ball exercises for the back. A big swig of Shock Therapy and then off to the gym.

More stretching and warm up. Made sure to warm up my shoulders properly, including some rotator cuff stuff. Started off with chest just to get it done. Wile doing the arm circuit I focused on forearms today.

Chest
Supersets x 5 - Incline DB flyes + push ups (DB weights in kg were 17,5; 20; 20; 17,5; 15)
Total time for chest: 5 minutes

Shoulders
Special superset x 3 - Seated DB press w/2 drops + rotator cuff exercise w/cable done in groups of 3 - that is 3 sets per side in one set
Supersets x 3 - Seated rear lateral DB raise + cable lateral raise

Back
Tri sets x 5 - Seated DB shrugs + one arm DB row + cornered reverse grip T-bar w/light weight

Arms
Giant sets x 3 - Hammer curl + reverse grip BB curl + BB wrist curl + DB wrist curl
Supersets x 5 - Heavy close grip cable pushdown + heavy BB curl

This was a nice workout. Total work time: 50 minutes

Now I'm going to the opera to listen to some stuff Claudio Monteverdi wrote back in the 1640s. All these contrasts in life... you gotta love them!

Good night to you all
-------------

js71474
07-30-08, 1:27 pm
What can I say - Thank you once again JS! And nothing silly about being in that 'holy shit' mode... It is quite unexpected I suppose. But I'm just one of those guys in the street you know... just with some circus tricks in my back pocket, hehe! Would you like to PM me your address so I can send you something?I appreciate the offer P, I'll PM you but I want to support your band so let me know where to send the $$ for it!

First a good warm up
At home I did some stretching and gym ball exercises for the back. A big swig of Shock Therapy and then off to the gym.

More stretching and warm up. Made sure to warm up my shoulders properly, including some rotator cuff stuff. Started off with chest just to get it done. Wile doing the arm circuit I focused on forearms today.

Chest
Supersets x 5 - Incline DB flyes + push ups (DB weights in kg were 17,5; 20; 20; 17,5; 15)
Total time for chest: 5 minutes

Shoulders
Special superset x 3 - Seated DB press w/2 drops + rotator cuff exercise w/cable done in groups of 3 - that is 3 sets per side in one set
Supersets x 3 - Seated rear lateral DB raise + cable lateral raise

Back
Tri sets x 5 - Seated DB shrugs + one arm DB row + cornered reverse grip T-bar w/light weight

Arms
Giant sets x 3 - Hammer curl + reverse grip BB curl + BB wrist curl + DB wrist curl
Supersets x 5 - Heavy close grip cable pushdown + heavy BB curl

This was a nice workout. Total work time: 50 minutes

Now I'm going to the opera to listen to some stuff Claudio Monteverdi wrote back in the 1640s. All these contrasts in life... you gotta love them!

Good night to you all
-------------Nice job P, hammered those forearms! You hit the upper body hard bro and fast too! Great job as always P!

panzerwagen
07-31-08, 12:05 pm
I appreciate the offer P, I'll PM you but I want to support your band so let me know where to send the $$ for it!

Nice job P, hammered those forearms! You hit the upper body hard bro and fast too! Great job as always P!

Thanks man! Well, we'll see about the Dollars regarding Cds or whatever. It's nice to give stuff away you know!
------------

Today's Workload

Legs and Abs

First of all a decent warmup including some jogging, abs activation, hypers and stretching. Also a bunch of very light sets of squats before making my way forward. As the last workout I played it safe with the squats, lifting bodyweight on bar only.

Quads
Squats - 5 sets (12, 10, 10 ,10 ,10) w/bodyweight on bar (75kg)
Leg press - 3 sets w/150kg, 15 reps on all sets

Hammies
Supersets x 4 - Stiff legged deads + lying leg curl (dared to work the weight up to 70kg on SLDL)

Calves
Standing press in hack lift - 3 sets in groups of 3, going heavy, forcing out reps with the help of my girl. After I was done my lovely girl encouraged me to do more, and I did one more single set adding weight. Last set held 130kg. She IS a lovely young woman

Abs
DB side bends - 5 sets, working up the rack without rest, ending up with 28kg dumbbell
Leg raise - 5 sets, holding small dumbbell between feet
Machine crunch - 3 sets; plate loaded machine, all sets held static reps

That's it for today. Total work time: 1 hour (slow like a slug today)

js71474
07-31-08, 1:07 pm
Squatting the bodyweight I see. How's it feel on the back? Nice session bro, saw those side bends again, that's a great move, I like them! Slow?? That was alot of work for 1 hour. Great stuff Panzer, hope all is well!

Thrawn
08-01-08, 7:45 am
Looking good, Panzer. Easing your way back into things, my brother! NICE work.
I know another rather good exercise for the obligues, but i am not sure your back could take it. Put a 20kg barbell in your neck, grip it wide and rotate from left to right. Focus on getting it to rotate at nice speed and then bring it to a halt with your obligues. Hope you understand what i am describing here. Might wanna give that one a try, but if you are not certain regarding your back, stay away from it. It is a rather HEAVY exercise. Might not look like it, but it is.

panzerwagen
08-07-08, 2:14 pm
Squatting the bodyweight I see. How's it feel on the back? Nice session bro, saw those side bends again, that's a great move, I like them! Slow?? That was alot of work for 1 hour. Great stuff Panzer, hope all is well!

Thanks man! The back feels fine doing the side bends, and I must say I really enjoy doing them as well! Sorry for not being here in a while. I've been traveling the roads of Sweden for a week, but now I'm back in town. All is well, and I hope JS is fine too!?

Looking good, Panzer. Easing your way back into things, my brother! NICE work.
I know another rather good exercise for the obligues, but i am not sure your back could take it. Put a 20kg barbell in your neck, grip it wide and rotate from left to right. Focus on getting it to rotate at nice speed and then bring it to a halt with your obligues. Hope you understand what i am describing here. Might wanna give that one a try, but if you are not certain regarding your back, stay away from it. It is a rather HEAVY exercise. Might not look like it, but it is.

Sounds like a good exercise. I usually do broom stick twists when hitting the abs, usually leaning forward a bit. The barbell variety you describe is a similar exercise I suppose, only you add weight to it, right? And with a barbell on the neck one might perhaps have to stay away from leaning forward when executing the movement. I'll give it a shot, and see if the back likes it. Thanks for dropping by Thrawn. As I said above, I've been away for a week. How are you feeling regarding work and temper and training?

Cheers

Themostocles
08-07-08, 2:24 pm
Good to see you back on mate, hope everything is going and feeling good. -T.

panzerwagen
08-07-08, 2:32 pm
Good to see you back on mate, hope everything is going and feeling good. -T.

Thanks Themostocles! I think it's all right. Back feels good most of the time. At least the injury from a few weeks back has subsided, but every now and then I feel a bit stiff and strange in other parts of the back. I'm working on that though, and I'm going to put a lot of effort into developing stronger abs and lower back in the nearest future. I hope you're all well too?

Appreciate your concern

js71474
08-07-08, 3:20 pm
Good to have you back brother! Hope you had a great time, and I hope all is well with you!

Thrawn
08-07-08, 4:28 pm
Sounds like a good exercise. I usually do broom stick twists when hitting the abs, usually leaning forward a bit. The barbell variety you describe is a similar exercise I suppose, only you add weight to it, right? And with a barbell on the neck one might perhaps have to stay away from leaning forward when executing the movement. I'll give it a shot, and see if the back likes it. Thanks for dropping by Thrawn. As I said above, I've been away for a week. How are you feeling regarding work and temper and training?

Cheers

Yes, they are the same exercise, but now with an olympic barbell. Do that 5 x 25 for each side and try to do it fast. I use my obliques to slow the swing down, great exercise.
My temper is subsiding, but work is still horrible. There is a very depressed atmosphere right now, but that is logical. I TRY not to let it go to my head. Does not work perfectly, but i am getting better at it.

panzerwagen
08-08-08, 11:09 am
So. Back in town, back in the gym. Been away for about a week now, and I only managed to visit one gym during this time. Did some shoulder- back- and abdominal work that session. Even managed to do some deadlifts with 80kg without breaking my back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I hit legs and abs with a total work time of 45 minutes. I started the warm up at home, some gym ball work, some stretching etc. - jogged off toward the gym and continued the warm up. More stretching, some crunches and hyperextensions were included. Then several sets of light squats and leg pressing before I went ahead and got to work. I chose to stay with bodyweight for squats once again. Don't want to push it too far just yet.

Quads
Supersets x 3 - Squats w/bodyweight on bar + leg press loaded w/150kg worth of plates; reps were: 12/10, 10/10, 10/10

Calves
Supersets x 3 - Seated calf raise (in groups of 3) + toe raises; weight was added on the press for each circuit

Hams
Supersets x 3 - Stiff legged deads + standing leg curl; adding weight on the SLDL for each set

Abs
Supersets x 3 - Leg raise w/light dumbbell between feet + crunches on decline bench, holding a 15 kg plate

Dumbbell side bend - 5 sets, going up the rack without rest, ending up on 32,5kg dumbbell for the last set. Weights and reps for each side in kgs: 20x12; 22,5x12; 25x12; 30x10; 32,5x6

Stick twists - 2 sets as a round off for the obliques

Themostocles
08-08-08, 11:42 am
Good looking day, great job getting it done. Glad you were able to deadlift again, promising recovery fr your back. -T.

panzerwagen
08-08-08, 12:04 pm
Good looking day, great job getting it done. Glad you were able to deadlift again, promising recovery fr your back. -T.

Yes, the back feels better and better basically. Some strange feeling every now and then, but it's heading in the right direction. THanks for dropping by T! By the way, I saw that you're also an inked creature. I have started to feel more and more annoyed about people eyeballing me for the sake of my looks... I know it's my own choice to get tattooed, but still. There are good ways and there are bad ways of looking at people right? How do you feel about it all?

Themostocles
08-08-08, 2:54 pm
Yes, the back feels better and better basically. Some strange feeling every now and then, but it's heading in the right direction. THanks for dropping by T! By the way, I saw that you're also an inked creature. I have started to feel more and more annoyed about people eyeballing me for the sake of my looks... I know it's my own choice to get tattooed, but still. There are good ways and there are bad ways of looking at people right? How do you feel about it all?

I like to subvert society from the inside lol. I am fairly clean cut and normal to most people, quiet and wears glasses. All my ink is under my clothing, unless I have a tank top on. I also used to have a number of piercings, but those have fallen to the wayside. I only have my tongue ring left. I think it is a personal choice, and I am ok with all body modification. But if you choose to do it, you should be aware that parts of society are going to disagree with you. You are not going to make it in the corporate business world with a tattoo on your face. But I will admit ink is an addiction for me. I love the personal expression and how each piece is unique. Would love to see some of you artwork if you feel like posting some of it. -T.

panzerwagen
08-08-08, 3:03 pm
I like to subvert society from the inside lol. I am fairly clean cut and normal to most people, quiet and wears glasses. All my ink is under my clothing, unless I have a tank top on. I also used to have a number of piercings, but those have fallen to the wayside. I only have my tongue ring left. I think it is a personal choice, and I am ok with all body modification. But if you choose to do it, you should be aware that parts of society are going to disagree with you. You are not going to make it in the corporate business world with a tattoo on your face. But I will admit ink is an addiction for me. I love the personal expression and how each piece is unique. Would love to see some of you artwork if you feel like posting some of it. -T.

'I like to subvert society from the inside' - hehe, I love the fact that you wrote that! Yeah, I know about the disagreement from society's part, and honestly I kind of like that. It's only that even though people find it interesting to look at, the looking at can be done in different ways. I'm used to it, but people are rude in manners. I can post some stuff later maybe... you might see some of the ink in the Sweden ABC-thread. There's a link to the pics right here below on my sig. "pictures..."

Themostocles
08-08-08, 3:16 pm
'I like to subvert society from the inside' - hehe, I love the fact that you wrote that! Yeah, I know about the disagreement from society's part, and honestly I kind of like that. It's only that even though people find it interesting to look at, the looking at can be done in different ways. I'm used to it, but people are rude in manners. I can post some stuff later maybe... you might see some of the ink in the Sweden ABC-thread. There's a link to the pics right here below on my sig. "pictures..."

Good looking sleeve, and partial. I am looking to do a half sleeve on my right arm, but I don;t have any good ideas yet. And some people are jerks about it. But I find that most that are tend to be overly judgemental of everything, and some have more vice in their lives than most. Deflecting their own self-loathing onto others. Its a pretty common defense mechanism. -T.

panzerwagen
08-08-08, 3:34 pm
Good looking sleeve, and partial. I am looking to do a half sleeve on my right arm, but I don;t have any good ideas yet. And some people are jerks about it. But I find that most that are tend to be overly judgemental of everything, and some have more vice in their lives than most. Deflecting their own self-loathing onto others. Its a pretty common defense mechanism. -T.

Thanks man.. and don't worry about coming up with ideas for a sleeve. You know it'll come to you in due time. Unfortunately I didn't have an entire game plan from the beginning, but what the heck...

Thrawn
08-09-08, 4:08 am
Nice to see you keep pushing, Panzer! And never mind ppl, they will look and think what they want anyway. Your tattoo's are awesome and they are there for YOU, not for them. You did yourself a favor by getting them and you are not doing it for others. Not to please them, not to annoy them. What they get out of it is their own business.
Have you tried the barbell twist?

panzerwagen
08-09-08, 6:23 am
Nice to see you keep pushing, Panzer! And never mind ppl, they will look and think what they want anyway. Your tattoo's are awesome and they are there for YOU, not for them. You did yourself a favor by getting them and you are not doing it for others. Not to please them, not to annoy them. What they get out of it is their own business.
Have you tried the barbell twist?

True!

No I chose not to try them yesterday since I felt I put the enough strain on the back yesterday with the squats and the leg presses. But next leg/abs session I'll give it a shot if the back feels good. My plan is to take it real slow with the barbell in the beginning, then maybe I can speed up a bit. I have to play it safe as you know. Still, I did some high reps on 70kg deads today, not using the belt. Feels fine so far.

panzerwagen
08-09-08, 6:31 am
Today's workout was a good one, though I wanted to work faster. It turned out to be mostly a back workout. Total work time: 50 minutes

UPPER BODY

Back
Supersets x 5 - Chins + Cornered T-Bar Row
Supersets x 3 - Deadlifts + Seated DB Shrugs

Shoulders
Tri Sets x 3 - Standing Front BB Press + DB Lateral Raise + Rotator Cuff Movement

Chest
Supersets x 4 - Incline DB Flyes + Pushups

Arms
Supersets x 3 - Heavy BB curl + Close Grip Bench
Supersets x 3 - Cable Pushdown + DB Curls

----------------------------

js71474
08-09-08, 6:09 pm
Nice leg and upper body work P!! Relieved to hear that the back is continuing to get better!! Hope you had a good time away bro, may have been just what the body needed. On the tats, I saw some of yours in the pix from the ABC's and I like them, I like tats, I have one but am really ready for some serious ink just trying to finalize what I want, as far as people in general looking at you strange for having them, it's just like in the iron game bro there will be those that hate and those that gawk but I say those people are just jealous and really need to get a life of their own. Haters are everywhere but they fuel my fire daily and maybe one of these days they will grow up but if they don't no big deal. As long as you like what you got it don't matter what no one thinks. Glad to see you hitting it hard Panzer and I hope all is well with you bro! Quoting you.....CHEERS!!!!

panzerwagen
08-10-08, 3:53 am
Nice leg and upper body work P!! Relieved to hear that the back is continuing to get better!! Hope you had a good time away bro, may have been just what the body needed. On the tats, I saw some of yours in the pix from the ABC's and I like them, I like tats, I have one but am really ready for some serious ink just trying to finalize what I want, as far as people in general looking at you strange for having them, it's just like in the iron game bro there will be those that hate and those that gawk but I say those people are just jealous and really need to get a life of their own. Haters are everywhere but they fuel my fire daily and maybe one of these days they will grow up but if they don't no big deal. As long as you like what you got it don't matter what no one thinks. Glad to see you hitting it hard Panzer and I hope all is well with you bro! Quoting you.....CHEERS!!!!

Thanks JS. Hopefully the back will keep its shit together, so to speak. Still I'm afraid that it's just going to crack while doing squats or something. I fear it's going to be there, like a lightning coming from a clear blue sky you know... like it appeared last time. But we'll see what happens. I try to piece it together, a tiny fragment at a time.

I wouldn't blame people for looking at me, not even in a surprised fashion. If someone all inked, with an entirely black forearm for example (hehe) it's hard not to look. It's just that people tend to be very un-smooth when they do it. They might not think it shows, but they really look like jackasses when they stare. I think they could use a tad bit more of 'stealth' tactics when they do it. That's all. And when I grow bigger, maybe, they'll stare at me because of that. And when I used to work inner city security, they stared. And when I'm on stage - they stare, hehe. And when I'll start working as a teacher... guess what? They'll stare too. Maybe I like to get stared at, totally, but won't admit it, hehe.

Themostocles
08-10-08, 10:38 am
The only difference between tattooed and untattooed people is that tattooed people are way more cool and can kick you ass lol. -T.

panzerwagen
08-10-08, 11:43 am
The only difference between tattooed and untattooed people is that tattooed people are way more cool and can kick you ass lol. -T.

Correction: ...tattooed people LOOK like they can kick your ass! hehe...

Thrawn
08-11-08, 5:27 am
Excellent, Panzer. Keep pushing the envelope in a safe way.
Hopefully the back keeps getting better and better, brother! And who knows, maybe one day we will be deadlifting side by side in a gym somewhere =)) That would be GREAT.

panzerwagen
08-11-08, 7:23 am
Excellent, Panzer. Keep pushing the envelope in a safe way.
Hopefully the back keeps getting better and better, brother! And who knows, maybe one day we will be deadlifting side by side in a gym somewhere =)) That would be GREAT.

Hehe, my puny stature could never match up to the weight you pull.. but who gives a shit - training side by side can be done perfectly well without trying to break each other's backs!

panzerwagen
08-11-08, 7:29 am
Today I trained quads and abs only, and let the other stuff go. I wanted to focus on squats only for the quads.

After warmup

Quads

Squats only, going deep and keeping it up without much rest in between the sets.

50kg
60kg
70kg
75kg
80kg
85kg
90kg
90kg

Abs
Tri sets x 3 - Barbell Twists + Lying Leg Raise w/6kg Dumbbell Between Feet + Hanging Leg Raise
Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 sets going up the rack without rest. Weights ranged from 21kg - 34kg

Glad to be able to squat a little heavier, but I was a bit scared during the workout. Don't want the back to crack again! I was going to do one final set on the 90kg, but something said I should stop, and I did.

Themostocles
08-11-08, 7:46 am
Hehe, my puny stature could never match up to the weight you pull.. but who gives a shit - training side by side can be done perfectly well without trying to break each other's backs!

Its fun to have someone who understands your drive to lift with, to push you. -T.

panzerwagen
08-11-08, 7:47 am
Its fun to have someone who understands your drive to lift with, to push you. -T.

It definitely is!

Themostocles
08-11-08, 7:53 am
It definitely is!

Though I have had a couple lift partners get a little too enthusiastic. They get so serious and worked up, it makes me start laughing instead of increasing my focus. Especially when they start yelling at weight they aren't even lifting. -T.

Thrawn
08-11-08, 8:05 am

That is not a problem, and you know it. It is the LIMIT that is the focal point. Just push eachother to the limit. My battle with 180kg is the same as yours with xxx kg and also the same as Sgt Rock unbelievable 700lbs deadlifts. The LIMIT. That is where we will take eachother. We are equals there.

Today I trained quads and abs only, and let the other stuff go. I wanted to focus on squats only for the quads.

After warmup

Quads

Squats only, going deep and keeping it up without much rest in between the sets.

50kg
60kg
70kg
75kg
80kg
85kg
90kg
90kg

Abs
Tri sets x 3 - Barbell Twists + Lying Leg Raise w/6kg Dumbbell Between Feet + Hanging Leg Raise
Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 sets going up the rack without rest. Weights ranged from 21kg - 34kg

Glad to be able to squat a little heavier, but I was a bit scared during the workout. Don't want the back to crack again! I was going to do one final set on the 90kg, but something said I should stop, and I did.

GREAT work, Panzer. And some good squatting too! Smart to listen to your instinct. Most of the time it is RIGHT. Better safe then sorry here.

Exactly.

js71474
08-11-08, 8:06 am
Hey Panzer, the squats looked great and I see you went low on them so nice work! How did they feel on the back? Ab work looked solid! Good stuff as always bro! Saw your comment after my post on the tats and I like the way you always stay positive about things, you always have a great outlook and a great attitude so keep that up P, I know you will. Take care of yourself!

panzerwagen
08-12-08, 12:50 pm
Hey Panzer, the squats looked great and I see you went low on them so nice work! How did they feel on the back? Ab work looked solid! Good stuff as always bro! Saw your comment after my post on the tats and I like the way you always stay positive about things, you always have a great outlook and a great attitude so keep that up P, I know you will. Take care of yourself!

Thanks JS --- During the squats the back felt fine. I was scared of breaking down though. After the second set on 90kg I felt a tiny tiny sensation that might have been something bad, and that's why I stopped right there. And afterwards and today everything feels just fine.

Thanks for the kind words!