PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion? Football or bodybuillding?

IronGame033
04-04-08, 7:49 pm
ok so i have come to a pretty big decision. one of the biggest in my lifetime. to keep things short in the past year i have put on some SERIOUS mass while still haveing a really low body fat. actually as of right now its probly the lowest i have ever been. so im not bragging but im am in the best shape i have ever been in my life. now the question comes to me. should i play football for my highschool this year. ive played since 7th grade and i do love it, but now as a sophmore almost a junior, im prb the biggest in my school between muscle and conditioning. but goin through 2adays and everything again this year will make me lose alot of the muscle i have worked so hard to gain. and bodybuilding is my ultimate dream. but if i drop football i prb wont play if i come back. should i drop football and continue training and eventually enter in a show? just wanted to see what you guys would think. thanx

mikejones1
04-04-08, 8:20 pm
honestly...are you going to go pro in the nfl and make some money? is it worth it?

and then again...are you going to be a pro bodybuilder?

bottom line. do what you love

thats my 2 cents

Adrenaline Junkie
04-04-08, 8:34 pm
Dude, Do whats cha do!

lol

Find out what your really passionate about, and follow that route...

Or figure out a way to incorporate both into your lifestyle.

jer
04-04-08, 8:36 pm
Well, welcome to adult hood. lol The first of many big choices you're gonna face.

It's it's really your dream to be a bodybuilder, it would be hard to not tell you to follow it.
However, take a step back and look a couple years down the road. Is there a possibility of a football scholarship for you? It would be hard to turn down a free education, college ain't cheap. I'm still paying back student loans at 28.

It there just no way to continue both endeavors? Keep the carbs up and burn them instead of muscle. You'll lose a little, but nothing you can't get back.

Lowdown5
04-04-08, 8:44 pm
My input,

Jay Cutler, House, Trey Brewer, Evan I believe, alot of big cats and Pros played ball in high school and look at what they accomplished in bodybuilding. Do what you love but understand that once football is over it is over. But you need to make the decision, not a bunch of cats on an internet forum.

Cstlfx
04-04-08, 8:46 pm
Dude, I miss football so much since I graduated high school. I played all four years and I wish I had played football in college. If you like football a lot, keep doing it. That kind of training also builds an incredible base, which in my opinion, makes it easier to build muscle.

However, if you're not that big into football, by all means go ahead and leave. But take it from me, I miss every moment of it.

killyouintheface
04-04-08, 10:23 pm
I wish I had played football in school. I was too busy being a moron. Now I'm 28 and I'm just now getting into all this stuff.

HardGainer369
04-04-08, 10:29 pm
Bro you lucky to be choosing between bodybuilding and football...do both, me on the other hand..i have to choose between bodybuilding and golf..i cant do both...but you can..

big bear
04-04-08, 10:37 pm
play football, you have the rest of your life to be a bodybuilder

JMC
04-04-08, 10:40 pm
Bro you said bodybuilding is your dream. If that's so, and a realistic one at that, go for it. Personally I'd do a lot to go back 15 and play some football through HS. But that's me.

LegendKillerJosh
04-04-08, 10:44 pm
play football, you have the rest of your life to be a bodybuilder

I like this response. Chances are you'll never play football again after High School. Bodybuilding you can do pretty much till you drop dead. Sometimes I get so upset with myself for failing on a lift or something like that, then I tell myself the more important thing is I didn't get injured and I can get that weight up next week. Enjoy High School while you can, it's only a few years. After that, when your real life comes at you, then you can unleash the Animal.

But on another note - who says you can't do both? Football practice is mostly running, or basic movements like pushing a dummy or something, so you can always train at nights or on the weekends.

Renji007
04-04-08, 10:45 pm
ok so i have come to a pretty big decision. one of the biggest in my lifetime. to keep things short in the past year i have put on some SERIOUS mass while still haveing a really low body fat. actually as of right now its probly the lowest i have ever been. so im not bragging but im am in the best shape i have ever been in my life. now the question comes to me. should i play football for my highschool this year. ive played since 7th grade and i do love it, but now as a sophmore almost a junior, im prb the biggest in my school between muscle and conditioning. but goin through 2adays and everything again this year will make me lose alot of the muscle i have worked so hard to gain. and bodybuilding is my ultimate dream. but if i drop football i prb wont play if i come back. should i drop football and continue training and eventually enter in a show? just wanted to see what you guys would think. thanx

Bodybuilding is a much tougher sport than football, keep that in mind.

But personally, I would go for bodybuilding, I mean you said that you were in the best shape of your life right? Why get rid of that? Get bigger man, you still have time. I'm a Junior in High school who loved wrestling, but now I'm a Full time bodybuilder and I have to say I love it that way.

But that's just my opinion. Go with what draws your heart most man.

MedusaThrills
04-05-08, 8:51 am
If you are going to be pro in either, i would suggest football (more money, more popularity etc) Do what you love. Drop bodybuilding and you will find it hard getting back into. Drop football and if you want to continue you will still have an awesome body (if not much bigger and better)

Joseb
04-05-08, 9:03 am
ronnie coleman played as a middle linebacker in college football
look, you'll only lose muscle if you stay in a negative calorie balance. As long as you have ALOT of carbs to be used as energy.. your body wont begin to use your muscle for fuel.

DO BOTH.. why not?

born0withno0soul
04-05-08, 6:19 pm
i think if you enjoy football you had better play while you can. if you quit you will never be able to go back. football is temporary, bodybuilding is forever

MassMan
04-05-08, 6:31 pm

I was in your shoes last year. It was my first year of highschool football. I was a freshman, and I pulled off 2adays in the gym. August rolls along and I'm ~265lbs@15% bf... I have a deep passion for football AND bodybuilding/powerlifting (done both). I asked myself what's more important. Sure enough, I couldn't answer that question.

Anyways, enough chit chat. What I did was play football and continue bodybuilding. Please, if you do this, go easy with heavy weights and opt for more vloume and focus on form.... The last thing you want to do is injure yourself traiing tooo heavy and sit out from doing both. Also, if you're going to continue both, make sure you dedicate the summer to bulking. This is the only way you can do both at the same time. No matter how strong you are, the coaches are not going o want a player who's cutting weight on the team because you will be practically useless ( not meant to offend anyone). This is speaking from my experience....

What I do is cut during the winter months (wrestling season) and cut during the spring and early summer months (Track/shot). I repeat this cycle constantly and consistently and I am doing well. I'm taking 10 months to bulk up, big time and remain injury free. Does this help, sorta?

Joseb
04-05-08, 7:20 pm
yo.
not to hijack the thread. but to those who play football while bodybuilding..
hows your split during football season?
If you lift heavy [especially] with bigger bodyparts, your game performance would be hindered..

MassMan
04-05-08, 7:29 pm
yo.
not to hijack the thread. but to those who play football while bodybuilding..
hows your split during football season?
If you lift heavy [especially] with bigger bodyparts, your game performance would be hindered..

During football season, I have a lot more to worry about than how big my arms look.
So, I focus more on oly lifts and basic compound movements. I do little to no isolation exercises at this point because during football, every single calorie matters....

My split goes like this...

Mon:rest, light cardio and agility work

Tues:legs

Wed:back

Thurs:rest, light cardio and agility work

Fri:chest,shoulders

Sat:rest, light cardio and agility work

Sun:serious R&R

During football everything is open season, and I mean EVERYTHING!!! IF I want a stick of butter, then I'll have it... but I have yet to do.... Some of you know that I eat an entire pizza and upto 36 buffalo wings everyday...

I think cheat meals are an absolute must during football because for me, it keeps my morale high and look foward to crush skulls on the field. Aim for some extreme eating. I eat around 6K to 10k everyday during the season. I don't give a flying fuck about gaining some fat, and even though I eat like this, I don't get fat because I work my ass off everyday in and out of the gym. Does this help?

Joseb
04-05-08, 7:43 pm
i see your point on taking out iso movements and focusing on powerlifting techniques, but i have games on fridays and saturdays. So i want to be at optimum performance at that time.. I would usually have a split like this.
Monday:Legs/Calves
Tuesday:Chest
Wednesday: Back/Traps
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Gameday/Rest
Saturday: Gameday/Rest
Sunday: Church

i hope my sophmore year i can be much more of a beast. I was cutting during the season last year b.c my wrestling coach wanted me to go from 189 to 160 [i think i told you about this]

MassMan
04-05-08, 7:52 pm
i see your point on taking out iso movements and focusing on powerlifting techniques, but i have games on fridays and saturdays. So i want to be at optimum performance at that time.. I would usually have a split like this.
Monday:Legs/Calves
Tuesday:Chest
Wednesday: Back/Traps
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Gameday/Rest
Saturday: Gameday/Rest
Sunday: Church

i hope my sophmore year i can be much more of a beast. I was cutting during the season last year b.c my wrestling coach wanted me to go from 189 to 160 [i think i told you about this]

I have games on Fridays too. I play the entire game, and afterwards, I drink a protein shake and hit the gym for chest and shoulders.... That's just me though... YOu have games on Saturdays, too?

Joseb
04-05-08, 8:33 pm
its not two games week. its either a saturday game or a friday game.
I personally like the friday night games. I feel stronger at night and also the lights pump me up more than anything. If its on saturday, its aaround 3:00.
I've never thought of lifting right after a game.. sounds good LOL.
I'm still building my foundation and trying to get thick. So working only the main muscle groups for a couple months is fine with me. Then i can start to chip and cut away to refine my body.
Theres a saying i have..
it goes, before you make the sculpture, you must have the rock.

MassMan
04-05-08, 8:38 pm
its not two games week. its either a saturday game or a friday game.
I personally like the friday night games. I feel stronger at night and also the lights pump me up more than anything. If its on saturday, its aaround 3:00.
I've never thought of lifting right after a game.. sounds good LOL.
I'm still building my foundation and trying to get thick. So working only the main muscle groups for a couple months is fine with me. Then i can start to chip and cut away to refine my body.
Theres a saying i have..
it goes, before you make the sculpture, you must have the rock.

Are you JV or Varsity? I love playing on Friday nights... The lights are on and kickoff is at 7:00pm. By 9"30, we all go home and I go have me a workout... I like that saying. Need a base before you have a finishing product.

Joseb
04-05-08, 11:15 pm
we have a mandatory freshman team in our division.
I'm hoping to be on the varsity team next year. add a second pin to my collection.
I'm not gonna get a jacket till i'm a senior. I need the money for supps!
Yeah, people in the gym always tell me this and that for "shaping" and "toning" and I still dont have enough mass to shape anything with.

Mlowe8
06-05-08, 5:30 pm
WO WO WO... if someone can workout after a game... than someone doesnt push hard enough.. just kiddin... I cant even walk after a game... but on the varsity team last year.. i was the starting running back, strong safety, kick return and punt return, and the punter/kicker (only kickoffs)...

now for me... I workout in season with the team and without... I actually get bigger durring season because i do my shit like this.

Saturday: legs with calves
sunday: chest and bi's
monday: back
tuesday: shoulders and tris
wednesday: rest
Thursday: rest
friday: game time
repeat

I eat a ton! and I also take tons of different EFA's and vitamins... as a teen i can get away with this... that you take good joint and tendon building supps durring season. monday and tuesday is hardcore practice... wednesday is light.. and thursday we dont even wear pads (jsut helmets) so I can get away with this...

So in my opinion, FUCK NO, dont quit football! haha (unless you have some sort of complication with doing both)

mfl5027
06-05-08, 7:54 pm
You can do both if you really want to, I did and I'm sure many others have too.

Hags
05-15-10, 9:18 pm
Bro heres what you gota think about... and believe me I know because im in the same situation.

Highschool is only for a couple more years right? you have the rest of your life to do bodybuilding.

And on Friday night would you rather be at home planning out your next days meals and split routine? Or out on the field under those lights knockin the shit outa people.

Good luck bro

Ive made my choice

Make yours

College Boy
05-15-10, 10:31 pm
I reached the same impasse two years ago in my own life. What I relaized was that I truly enjoyed football for the physical challenge it offered. Sure, winning feels good. But I came to seek the long term gratification which came from altering my body and mind, and thus gravitated towards pure physical development.

Football is a more glorious road. Though things are far from certain, it promises more potential for short term pleasures. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, and not one to be taken lightly. I have only recently come to realize the toll which it can take mentally and emotionally to do something so few understand (and that so few view as a sport, moreover).

Therefore, I suggest that you analyze yourself and your goals. It is often difficult to turn one's analytical eye inwards, but more rewarding for the challenge.

xlionx
05-15-10, 11:58 pm
ur still in high school,high school football you cant go back to once its gone its gone.....bodybuilding/powerlifting is a long process but its one u can start today or a year from now,granit youll be a lil behind but im thinkin youll regret it if u quit football.Your an ANIMAL either way

tdubs
05-17-10, 8:40 am
As the saying goes, you're a long time retired.

Somone posted it a while back but you only have a few years where you're fast, agile and able to recover quickly from injuries i.e. play football. Bodybuilding (in addition to general fitness) will last you the rest of your life.

If it was me, I'd play for as long as I could and then pour all my competitive endeavours into bodybuilding.

ruggerlad69
08-15-10, 5:38 pm
man play football, that biggest regret i have is not playing enough in high school. and yea you do have the rest of your days to be a huge massive builder of body