PDA

View Full Version : The Epic Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) Thread

Ox
04-07-08, 6:04 pm
The more and more I talk to people as of late, I'm beggining to see that many people have finally de-brainwashed themselves and are including ample amounts of EFAs and other fats into their diets. We all know what a job the media did on fats for a number of years convincing the public that dietary fat will make you fat and unhealthy. Consequently, for most of us, we grew up with the notion that fats is a four letter word.

And while EFAs are finally beginning to gain the recognition they deserve, placing them at equal importance alongside proteins and quality carbohydrates in the macronutrient arena and exposing them as vital nutrients for growth, fat loss, and a host of other benefits from the perspective of sports supplementation; the bottom line is that some people just can't seem to shake the negative stigma attached to fats. I understand, it's tough to undo what years and years of bad press can do to one's reputation, but as someone who has experienced tremendous success with EFA supplementation, I feel a responsibility to tell the truth about them.

In the beginning, when presented with the idea of incorporating substancial amounts of EFAs into my diet, while actually trying to get into contest shape, I was skeptical to say the least. But after hearing the logic behind EFA supplementation and the benefits of basing a diet on quality proteins and healthy fats I was willing to try it. To make a long story short, I've made EFAs, healthy fats, and quality proteins the foundation of both my pre-contest and offseason regimens since 2006 and have been able to bring my physical progress as well as my sense of well being to new heights enabling me to win the 2006 NPC Jr. Nationals and the 2007 NPC Nationals where I attained my professional status.

But I'm not here to talk about me. I already know the value of EFA supplementation and the place that healthy fats have in my bodybuilding nutrition. If you read my article, "Essential" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=401), you know where I stand. I know that a lot of you have been incorporating EFAs and other healthy fats into your diets and have experienced good results. I believe it is important to talk out loud on the subject so that others can benefit from the lessons that your experiences offer.

We've got a lot to talk about...

Lunatic001
04-07-08, 6:08 pm
Thanks for opening my eyes on fats.....I added them to my diet and I have seen improvements. I can't wait to read the input from other Animals.

Lunatic001

MassMan
04-07-08, 6:08 pm
The more and more I talk to people as of late, I'm beggining to see that many people have finally de-brainwashed themselves and are including ample amounts of EFAs and other fats into their diets. We all know what a job the media did on fats for a number of years convincing the public that dietary fat will make you fat and unhealthy. Consequently, for most of us, we grew up with the notion that fats is a four letter word.

And while EFAs are finally beginning to gain the recognition they deserve, placing them at equal importance alongside proteins and quality carbohydrates in the macronutrient arena and exposing them as vital nutrients for growth, fat loss, and a host of other benefits from the perspective of sports supplementation; the bottom line is that some people just can't seem to shake the negative stigma attached to fats. I understand, it's tough to undo what years and years of bad press can do to one's reputation, but as someone who has experienced tremendous success with EFA supplementation, I feel a responsibility to tell the truth about them.

In the beginning, when presented with the idea of incorporating substancial amounts of EFAs into my diet, while actually trying to get into contest shape, I was skeptical to say the least. But after hearing the logic behind EFA supplementation and the benefits of basing a diet on quality proteins and healthy fats I was willing to try it. To make a long story short, I've made EFAs, healthy fats, and quality proteins the foundation of both my pre-contest and offseason regimens since 2006 and have been able to bring my physical progress as well as my sense of well being to new heights enabling me to win the 2006 NPC Jr. Nationals and the 2007 NPC Nationals where I attained my professional status.

But I'm not here to talk about me. I already know the value of EFA supplementation and the place that healthy fats have in my bodybuilding nutrition. If you read my article, "Essential", you know where I stand. I know that a lot of you have been incorporating EFAs and other healthy fats into your diets and have experienced good results. I believe it is important to talk out loud on the subject so that others can benefit from the lessons that your experiences offer.

I agree with you here.... I got a real quick question..... If I cook my eggs with Olive Oil, should I count the amount of fat from the oil into my total fat intake? Kinda confused....

and also, what's your take on a fatty fish like catfish?

Lunatic001
04-07-08, 6:09 pm
Ox,

How much is too much? How much do you recommend for a dailiy intake?

Thanks,
Lunatic001

Fury317
04-07-08, 6:11 pm
I dont do a keto diet like you do Ox, but as you said, Ive decided that fats are too important to leave out of my diet. Ive been eating about 10-12g of fats with each of my 6-7 meals. All of them coming from almonds, olive oil, avacados, and cashews. Im thinking about cooking my chicken and other meats in mac nut oil- Ive heard it tastes AMAZING! Ive seen a tighter physique, and have much more energy. Im not sure if its the 9kcals vs the 4 from carbs, but what ever it is Im definitely feeling less tired throughout the day.

And Im not sure if its because of the fats, but I seem to be a little more vascular....and Im diggin that.

Anyways- if you havent incorporated fats, get on it fellas!!!!

MassMan
04-07-08, 6:16 pm
I dont do a keto diet like you do Ox, but as you said, Ive decided that fats are too important to leave out of my diet. Ive been eating about 10-12g of fats with each of my 6-7 meals. All of them coming from almonds, olive oil, avacados, and cashews. Im thinking about cooking my chicken and other meats in mac nut oil- Ive heard it tastes AMAZING! Ive seen a tighter physique, and have much more energy. Im not sure if its the 9kcals vs the 4 from carbs, but what ever it is Im definitely feeling less tired throughout the day.

And Im not sure if its because of the fats, but I seem to be a little more vascular....and Im diggin that.

Same here, I noticed an increase in vascularity in my arms and chest!!!!

Ox
04-07-08, 6:50 pm
I agree with you here.... I got a real quick question..... If I cook my eggs with Olive Oil, should I count the amount of fat from the oil into my total fat intake? Kinda confused....

and also, what's your take on a fatty fish like catfish?

Yes, the olive should be counted toward your total fat/caloric intake. What helps me is to just put a few drops in the pan and just use my fingers to coat the pan with the oil (obviously not a hot pan!). But just so you know, if you're going to be heating the oil, macadamia nut oil is the best choice, it has a higher smoke point and the taste is excellent.
Catfish huh?...Actually cat fish is fairly low in fat. 6 oz of cooked cat fish will only give you about 4g of fat....not much. For fatty fish, I'd opt for salmon or swordfish. Salmon is great if it's wild but the majority is farm raised and that's garbage. The great thing about swordfish is that it's such a large fish it can't be farm raised. Swordfish is the best bet in my opinion most of the time. But if you can find quality wild Atlantic salmon then I'd go for that.

Ox
04-07-08, 6:53 pm
Ox,

How much is too much? How much do you recommend for a dailiy intake?

Thanks,
Lunatic001

I think that a 1:1 protein:fat calorie ratio is good. Don't forget fat has 9 calories per gram vs 4 for protein so you can't do a gram for gram ratio. For example if you take in 300g of protein that yields 1200 calories. So to get the same from fat you divide 1200 by 9 = 133g. So a 1:1 ratio would be 300g protein:133g fat.

Ox
04-07-08, 6:54 pm

Everyone who tries it says the same thing...greater fullness, strength, energy, pumps, vasuclarity....it's no bullshit.

MassMan
04-07-08, 7:07 pm
Yes, the olive should be counted toward your total fat/caloric intake. What helps me is to just put a few drops in the pan and just use my fingers to coat the pan with the oil (obviously not a hot pan!). But just so you know, if you're going to be heating the oil, macadamia nut oil is the best choice, it has a higher smoke point and the taste is excellent.
Catfish huh?...Actually cat fish is fairly low in fat. 6 oz of cooked cat fish will only give you about 4g of fat....not much. For fatty fish, I'd opt for salmon or swordfish. Salmon is great if it's wild but the majority is farm raised and that's garbage. The great thing about swordfish is that it's such a large fish it can't be farm raised. Swordfish is the best bet in my opinion most of the time. But if you can find quality wild Atlantic salmon then I'd go for that.

I'm guessing that I'm gonna need a nonstick pan for this to work, correct? I might get on some swordfish, too.... just read that there's too mercury or something... gonna also pick up some macadamia nut oil too, that sounds interesting... Thanks for the help, Evan!!

escholar05
04-07-08, 7:08 pm
Ox-

I was just wondering how you supplement your efa's, especially with respect to omega 3 and 6 ratios. I take 6 fish oil tabs and 3 evening primrose tabs spread out over my 3 main meals. Is that enough, or the right ratio? Also, what do you think about adding in like CLA, even though thats not considered an EFA?

Since I switched from keto to bulking I've kept bulking with a 1:1 calorie ratio of protein to fat, and not only am I making better gains than before, I also seem to stay a little bit leaner and not put fat on as fast. So I think it is definately the way to go.

Lunatic001
04-07-08, 7:11 pm
I think that a 1:1 protein:fat calorie ratio is good. Don;t forget fat has 9 calories per gram vs 4 for protein so you can't do a gram for gram ratio. For example if you take in 300g of protein that yields 1200 calories. So to get the same from fat you divide 1200 by 9 = 133g. So a 1:1 ratio would be 300g protein:133g fat.

Thanks Ox. I'll go ahead and do that....

jer
04-07-08, 8:42 pm
I'm guessing that I'm gonna need a nonstick pan for this to work, correct? I might get on some swordfish, too.... just read that there's too mercury or something... gonna also pick up some macadamia nut oil too, that sounds interesting... Thanks for the help, Evan!!

Mercury is really a non issue, unless you are a child or a pregnant women (or breast feeding).
Don't sweat it, the media just needed something to play up. lol

MassMan
04-07-08, 9:04 pm
Mercury is really a non issue, unless you are a child or a pregnant women (or breast feeding).
Don't sweat it, the media just needed something to play up. lol

That's what I thought..just wanted to make sure....

Pizzalamp
04-07-08, 11:40 pm
Evan:
Have you heard from anyone about their acne clearing up once they began taking the right ratio of omegas? Or when they did the efa rich keto diet?

My skin clears up immediately when I do the keto diet.

Ox
04-08-08, 9:31 am
Ox-

I was just wondering how you supplement your efa's, especially with respect to omega 3 and 6 ratios. I take 6 fish oil tabs and 3 evening primrose tabs spread out over my 3 main meals. Is that enough, or the right ratio? Also, what do you think about adding in like CLA, even though thats not considered an EFA?

Since I switched from keto to bulking I've kept bulking with a 1:1 calorie ratio of protein to fat, and not only am I making better gains than before, I also seem to stay a little bit leaner and not put fat on as fast. So I think it is definately the way to go.

I usually use 1000mg fish oil x 3 times daily and 1300 mg evening primrose oil x 3 times daily. I also throw in 1000mg CLA x 3 times daily. I'm really looking forward to the new Animal Omega....it will make my EFA supplementation so much easier.

Ox
04-08-08, 9:33 am
Evan:
Have you heard from anyone about their acne clearing up once they began taking the right ratio of omegas? Or when they did the efa rich keto diet?

My skin clears up immediately when I do the keto diet.

The majority of people who make sure to include the roght amount of EFAs in their diet see improvements in their skin...even if they have typically good skin they see improvements in clarity and texture. Those with skin problems see the most notable improvements.

Universal Rep
04-08-08, 9:41 am
I usually use 1000mg fish oil x 3 times daily and 1300 mg evening primrose oil x 3 times daily. I also throw in 1000mg CLA x 3 times daily. I'm really looking forward to the new Animal Omega....it will make my EFA supplementation so much easier.

Agreed. I'm gonna be taking just a single pack a day. Figuring you're gonna be a two-pack-a-day kinda guy?

kcinnitram91
04-08-08, 9:57 am
Hey Ox, huge fan of yours. My question is, What kind of ratio should I use when bulking as to keep my fat gains minimal? I am an endomorph and have an easy time gaining size, but a hard time gaining LEAN size. I saw that you use 50/25/25, would this be a good starting point. Thanks and keto is going great for me so far!

rev8ball
04-08-08, 3:13 pm
One of my coaches is currently writing a lit review article on Omega-3s; as soon as it’s done, I’ll post it here. In the mean time, she forwarded to me this little tidbit, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

“The plant form of omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid…is an essential fatty acid that can be converted to EPA and DHA. The conversion…is very inefficient though with estimates of only 0.2% to 6% of consumed alpha linolenic acid being converted to EPA and only approximately 63% of EPA being converted to DHA. Furthermore, increased intake of linoleic acic also decreases the conversion of alpha linolenic acid to EPA through competitive inhibition.”*

Another great reason why it’s fantastic that Animal Omega gets its omega-3s (4000mg) from fish.

*E. Clayton et al, Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2007:19:92-103

T.Alan
04-08-08, 4:06 pm
I started integrating more fats into my diet for the last four weeks of my bulk and I went from 225lbs to 230lbs in that 4 weeks and appeared to get more lean.

Now I'm a little over 2 weeks into the Keto diet and thus far I have great energy.. my strength is staying the same in some movements.. but I actually felt stronger today.

My muscle mass appears to be staying steady even tho I feel slightly flat. I'm seeing more separation every day and I'm losing the fat around the middle slowly but surely.

Currently I'm taking in about 125 grams of fat per day. I have that with two of my three shakes. I've been alternating salmon and buffalo for meat sources with chicken being the constant. I also add in some Olive oil with my spinach on the chicken meal and for one of the shakes I have 2tbsp Trader Joe's Natural Peanut Butter. Of course the a.m. meal is 5 whole eggs (Omega 3 eggs) with two whites.

We'll see how my progress keeps coming along... I'm on lab rat status thus far.

Hoffdogg
04-08-08, 5:04 pm
Before I came to this Forvm I never really "got it" about using good fats in my diet. The improvements and gains I have made in the past year have been just great. I am so glad I finally was set straight.

Wasteland
04-08-08, 5:06 pm
One of my coaches is currently writing a lit review article on Omega-3s; as soon as it’s done, I’ll post it here. In the mean time, she forwarded to me this little tidbit, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

“The plant form of omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid…is an essential fatty acid that can be converted to EPA and DHA. The conversion…is very inefficient though with estimates of only 0.2% to 6% of consumed alpha linolenic acid being converted to EPA and only approximately 63% of EPA being converted to DHA. Furthermore, increased intake of linoleic acic also decreases the conversion of alpha linolenic acid to EPA through competitive inhibition.”*

Another great reason why it’s fantastic that Animal Omega gets its omega-3s (4000mg) from fish.

*E. Clayton et al, Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2007:19:92-103

I like the fact that Animal Omega has fish and vegetable sources. For me, there are benefits to using vegetable-based oils aside from the whole ALA issue.

gsb239
04-08-08, 5:16 pm
What do you guys think is the ideal ratio between mono and polyunsaturates in your diet?

I took a nutrition course last year and our professor told us to focus more on monos.

Maccabee
04-08-08, 5:31 pm
Lets say one was to take Animal Omega. How would you know if your taking in enough?

Universal Rep
04-09-08, 3:41 pm
I like the fact that Animal Omega has fish and vegetable sources. For me, there are benefits to using vegetable-based oils aside from the whole ALA issue.

Agreed with ya 100%.

born0withno0soul
04-09-08, 3:47 pm

i agree as well. thats whats going to make this product great.

Pizzalamp
04-10-08, 5:22 pm
Lets say one was to take Animal Omega. How would you know if your taking in enough?

i would follow the doasge reccomended on the can...but im sure you will notice improvements in your skin, hair, nails, muscle fullness

BamBam
04-10-08, 11:34 pm
I am hoping to start supplementing EFA's into my regimen...Hopefully being Omega soon enough...but I have been switching my diet over to high fatty fishes, and whole eggs, some natty PB, and of course my greens every meal...and thus far...I feel so much damn better...now I'm going to see how much better things get when I start using EFA's

RenegadeRows
04-10-08, 11:40 pm
I added EFAs to my diet...been about a month now and I am gaining back my strength and mass (been out of the game for a while because of a messed up bicep tendon). This thing is giving me more energy than a carb-load (alone) before a workout

Ox
04-11-08, 5:04 pm
Hey Ox, huge fan of yours. My question is, What kind of ratio should I use when bulking as to keep my fat gains minimal? I am an endomorph and have an easy time gaining size, but a hard time gaining LEAN size. I saw that you use 50/25/25, would this be a good starting point. Thanks and keto is going great for me so far!

Actually I use a 1:1:1 ratio in the offseason and have found it very effective for a leaner bulk. For a diet based onj 300g of protein it would be 300g protein:300g Carbs:130g fats. Keep in mind this for offseason. Glad you like the keto method. Keep in mind that EFAs are an integral part of an offseason diet, a precontest diet, and even the diet of a sedentary desk clerk! Everyone needs them no matter what their goal(s).

Ox
04-11-08, 5:05 pm
Agreed. I'm gonna be taking just a single pack a day. Figuring you're gonna be a two-pack-a-day kinda guy?

2 Paks easy...I'm anxiously awaitíng my shipment!

Ox
04-11-08, 5:08 pm
[QUOTE=rev8ball;352231]One of my coaches is currently writing a lit review article on Omega-3s; as soon as it’s done, I’ll post it here. In the mean time, she forwarded to me this little tidbit, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

That's true and that's why I've always advocated fish oil. Still, Flax hits it from another angle. Animal Omega will be, by far, the most comprehensive EFA supp I've ever used. In fact, it will be the first. I've never used a product that was a proprietary blend simply because I never saw one complete enough and always bough the supps individualy. Animal Omega will eliminate that need.

Ox
04-11-08, 5:11 pm
I started integrating more fats into my diet for the last four weeks of my bulk and I went from 225lbs to 230lbs in that 4 weeks and appeared to get more lean.

Now I'm a little over 2 weeks into the Keto diet and thus far I have great energy.. my strength is staying the same in some movements.. but I actually felt stronger today.

My muscle mass appears to be staying steady even tho I feel slightly flat. I'm seeing more separation every day and I'm losing the fat around the middle slowly but surely.

Currently I'm taking in about 125 grams of fat per day. I have that with two of my three shakes. I've been alternating salmon and buffalo for meat sources with chicken being the constant. I also add in some Olive oil with my spinach on the chicken meal and for one of the shakes I have 2tbsp Trader Joe's Natural Peanut Butter. Of course the a.m. meal is 5 whole eggs (Omega 3 eggs) with two whites.

We'll see how my progress keeps coming along... I'm on lab rat status thus far.

People usually don' believe me when I say how effective keto is and how great fats work. The they try it and praise it! Glad to hear you're having success with it. Don't worry, I usually feel a little flat for a bout 3-4 weeks and then suddenly I have sick pumps...stay the course.

Ox
04-11-08, 5:14 pm
What do you guys think is the ideal ratio between mono and polyunsaturates in your diet?

I took a nutrition course last year and our professor told us to focus more on monos.

Your professor is correct. While omega-3s will come from poly sources you don't need to build your entire fat intake with them. There are your EFAs and then there is your dietary fat. You could easily fulfill your EFA requirment with 10g of polys (the polys will have special properties that the monos don't and you will use the monos as a solid energy source)- Think of it as vitmains versus food-the omegas are your vitmains and the monos are your food)...from there the rest should be monos from sources like olive oil, nuts, etc and some saturated fat from eggs and red meat. It's all about balance!

Mr. Dead
04-11-08, 5:33 pm
Ox:
I'm not sure if thsi has been posted yet, but here goes... I've got a can of Animal Omega on the way, and was wondering when the best time of day to take it would be. I'm just starting my cut for an upcoming show.

wsuiron
04-12-08, 1:11 pm
Ox,

so i am currently taking flax and fish oils and decided to go pick up some evening primrose oil. Well i was in a hurry and just saw it at the store and picked it up and when i got home i read on the label that it said it gave PMS support. I am wondering what that is all about and if it is suitable for me.

Ox
04-12-08, 3:59 pm
Ox:
I'm not sure if thsi has been posted yet, but here goes... I've got a can of Animal Omega on the way, and was wondering when the best time of day to take it would be. I'm just starting my cut for an upcoming show.

Any time of day is fine. Just keep in mind that if you take any fiber supps such as metamucil or any high fiber foods such as oatmeal etc, do not take your Animal Omegas or other EFAs at that time. Fiber can become very viscous and pull EFAs and many other supps and medications through your stomach and intestines without being absorbed. I would take the at least one hour before or 3 hours after fiber supplementation or VERY high fiber foods. If the food your are eating has some natural fiber don't sweat it. Otherwise any time of day is fine.

Ox
04-12-08, 4:05 pm
Ox,

so i am currently taking flax and fish oils and decided to go pick up some evening primrose oil. Well i was in a hurry and just saw it at the store and picked it up and when i got home i read on the label that it said it gave PMS support. I am wondering what that is all about and if it is suitable for me.

Hahahaha...evryone asks me that. They sometimes choose to market it that way simply because evening primrose oil contains GLA which is an essential omega 6 necessary for the production of prostaglandins. Sufficient prostagladin synthesis equates to you being in a better, more balanced mood. Simply put, it's good for your brain...and women who experience PMS would certainly benefit form evening primrose oil for this reason...but so would anyone else. On top of that, GLA and prostaglandin synthsesis help balance inflammation (EPA, DHA, and ALA omega 3s reduce inflamation while GLA mildly promotes it) This is ver important as inflamtion must be properly balanced for optimal muscle gains and overall health. Too much inflammation is unhelathy and reducing it too much will inhibit muscle growth (a process which is, by nature, inflammatory)

B.C.
04-12-08, 4:15 pm
Jesus OX, you sound like a mad scientist when you explain some of this shit! This is one of the most informative threads in the FORVM. Probably because this whole Keto thing is pretty new, and you're one of the few who has done so much research on it. I have a few questions, but I'm gonna search the thread a bit better to make sure they haven't been asked already.

Elite
04-12-08, 4:27 pm
Any time of day is fine. Just keep in mind that if you take any fiber supps such as metamucil or any high fiber foods such as oatmeal etc, do not take your Animal Omegas or other EFAs at that time. Fiber can become very viscous and pull EFAs and many other supps and medications through your stomach and intestines without being absorbed.

Now thats an eye opener. I reckon the majority of people around here take supps with their oatmeal and other high fiber foods. So what will you be taking your first pack of the day with?

B.C.
04-12-08, 4:32 pm
All right, didn't find them:

Omega will be awesome, but where can I get the rest of my healthy fats from?
Olive oil, nut oils, nuts, eggs, avacados...anything else?

Any fats I should just straight avoid?

Can you switch to the Keto cold turkey, or is there some kind of transition that helps the body adapt?

I got the 1:1 protien-fat CALORIE ratio, but what about carbs...do they go away almost completely?

I know that's a lot of questions, so if there is some reading I could do for some info...I'm down for that. Thanks a lot for the great thread Ox.

Peace,
B.C.

Ox
04-13-08, 4:26 pm
Now thats an eye opener. I reckon the majority of people around here take supps with their oatmeal and other high fiber foods. So what will you be taking your first pack of the day with?

Just a regular meal like chicken, rice, and asparagus will be good to take the pak with.

Ox
04-13-08, 4:30 pm
All right, didn't find them:

Omega will be awesome, but where can I get the rest of my healthy fats from?
Olive oil, nut oils, nuts, eggs, avacados...anything else?

Any fats I should just straight avoid?

Can you switch to the Keto cold turkey, or is there some kind of transition that helps the body adapt?

I got the 1:1 protien-fat CALORIE ratio, but what about carbs...do they go away almost completely?

I know that's a lot of questions, so if there is some reading I could do for some info...I'm down for that. Thanks a lot for the great thread Ox.

Peace,
B.C.

You can include peanut butter, red meat, and fatty fish too...all good stuff. The best thing to do is go cold turkey...the sooner you drop ALL the carbs, the sooner your body will recognie the need to rely on fat as it's main energy source. Go low carb or don't eliminate them or cheat and all you will do is keep your brain and body thinking it should be running off of carbs...then you will obviously run out and then you will real like real dog shit. Trust me, cut em out all at once...the stricter you are the btter you will feel.

Lowdown5
04-13-08, 9:24 pm
Evan,

Can avocado be used sparingly on a keto diet or is it not recommended?

Tork
04-14-08, 4:20 am
How long did it take for yall to start feeling the difference with the EFA's? I am going to start taking them shortly, this is new territory for me though.

jonnydunz
04-14-08, 4:23 am
Jesus OX, you sound like a mad scientist when you explain some of this shit! This is one of the most informative threads in the FORVM. Probably because this whole Keto thing is pretty new, and you're one of the few who has done so much research on it. I have a few questions, but I'm gonna search the thread a bit better to make sure they haven't been asked already.

gots to love the knowledge and experience of OX man. he is always on point with the info and the great thing about it is that everything he has said works very well. good luck.peace

Universal Rep
04-14-08, 12:07 pm
Any time of day is fine. Just keep in mind that if you take any fiber supps such as metamucil or any high fiber foods such as oatmeal etc, do not take your Animal Omegas or other EFAs at that time. Fiber can become very viscous and pull EFAs and many other supps and medications through your stomach and intestines without being absorbed. I would take the at least one hour before or 3 hours after fiber supplementation or VERY high fiber foods. If the food your are eating has some natural fiber don't sweat it. Otherwise any time of day is fine.

Good call, O, on both the timing and the tip with the fiber...

Mr. Dead
04-14-08, 12:15 pm
Good call, O, on both the timing and the tip with the fiber...

Definitely appreciate the info!!!

Universal Rep
04-14-08, 12:27 pm
Definitely appreciate the info!!!

Yeah, a few years ago, chitosan was popular. It was essentially a fiber and the same thing--it had the ability to impact fat absorption. People would recommend not taking it with fat-soluble vitamins. So yeah, avoid taking fiber and Animal Omega whenever you can...

Mr. Dead
04-14-08, 12:29 pm
Yeah, a few years ago, chitosan was popular. It was essentially a fiber and the same thing--it had the ability to impact fat absorption. People would recommend not taking it with fat-soluble vitamins. So yeah, avoid taking fiber and Animal Omega whenever you can...

People were also choking on chitosan, since they did not drink enough water, too. But I'll definitely be making sure to take the Omega and the fiber, far apart. I want to get the most out of it, that I can.

arab910
04-14-08, 12:30 pm
Ohter than fats from flax seeds and things of that nature, how does one classify a healthy fat? is it simply one that is monounsatured of polysaturated?

Lunatic001
04-14-08, 3:05 pm
How many Omega paks a day (1 or 2) do you recommend for regular Animals (individuals who lift the iron but don't compete)?

Thanks,
Lunatic001

Big Wides
04-14-08, 3:22 pm
How many Omega paks a day (1 or 2) do you recommend for regular Animals (individuals who lift the iron but don't compete)?

Thanks,
Lunatic001

One pack a day should be fine

Universal Rep
04-14-08, 3:42 pm

Thanks,
Lunatic001

I'm gonna take a single pack a day. That's it. I'm a pretty big fella but based on what I'm doing right now, one pack will do just fine.

Lunatic001
04-14-08, 5:12 pm
One pack a day should be fine

I'm gonna take a single pack a day. That's it. I'm a pretty big fella but based on what I'm doing right now, one pack will do just fine.

Yeah that was what I was thinking...thanks for the input....

jonnydunz
04-18-08, 10:12 pm
looking forward to ordering the Omega by Animal real soon. great that you are endorsing the product from your standpoint of the knowledge you have on the subject. i have been taking another omega complex by another company. but i have this thing that i want to take as many Universal product as i can. take care bro.peace

Ox
04-22-08, 8:54 am
Evan,

Can avocado be used sparingly on a keto diet or is it not recommended?

HHmmmmm...that's an interesting question. I was always told no. I love avocados. I just looked up the nutr. profile and 1 cup has 13g of carbs but 10g is fiber and 1g is sugar! Damn that's a lot of fiber. 1cup gives you 22g of fat. I would say that if you eat no more than 1/2 cup at a time it's okay.

Ox
04-22-08, 8:57 am
Ohter than fats from flax seeds and things of that nature, how does one classify a healthy fat? is it simply one that is monounsatured of polysaturated?

In my opinion, all fats, so long as they are NOT RANCID can be healthy and have a place in our diets. even saturated fat is necessary. But for the most part, omegas (the fats which are essential because we cannot produce them and are vital to our health) are polys. But the majority of your dieatry fat intake (fat that is not essential but will be used for energy) should come from monos.

Ox
04-22-08, 8:58 am
In my opinion, all fats, so long as they are NOT RANCID can be healthy and have a place in our diets. even saturated fat is necessary. But for the most part, omegas (the fats which are essential because we cannot produce them and are vital to our health) are polys. But the majority of your dieatry fat intake (fat that is not essential but will be used for energy) should come from monos.

Natural fats that is. Anything hydrogenated or messed with should be avoided like the plague.

Ox
04-22-08, 9:01 am

Thanks,
Lunatic001

I just got home from FIBO and the Power Tour of Poland and had my package containg Animal Omega waiting for me...NICE. I'm gonna go with 2 Paks but in all honesty, one should do the trick for most people just fine. If you haven't used any EFAs before and feel you may be/have been deficient, I would reccomed a loading phase using 2 Paks a day for the first week and then going to one Pak thereafter.

Ox
04-22-08, 9:02 am
looking forward to ordering the Omega by Animal real soon. great that you are endorsing the product from your standpoint of the knowledge you have on the subject. i have been taking another omega complex by another company. but i have this thing that i want to take as many Universal product as i can. take care bro.peace

I would never tell anyone to take a product (let alone take it myself) if I didn't feel it was better than what is out there. Peace.

Lunatic001
04-22-08, 11:04 am
I just got home from FIBO and the Power Tour of Poland and had my package containg Animal Omega waiting for me...NICE. I'm gonna go with 2 Paks but in all honesty, one should do the trick for most people just fine. If you haven't used any EFAs before and feel you may be/have been deficient, I would reccomed a loading phase using 2 Paks a day for the first week and then going to one Pak thereafter.

Ox,

Thanks for the heads up....I will load as you suggested as soon as I get my Omega order. Hope you guys had fun at FIBO and post some pics for us....

Thanks,
Lunatic001

Brutus
04-22-08, 1:23 pm
Ox I enjoyed your article on the EFAs and have since added them to my diet. I am currently cutting, but wanted to know how many mgs i should be taking in a a day during a cut and bulk?

You gotta work hard for everything you get. Push yourself until you can't go anymore, and then go some more.

Wasteland
04-22-08, 1:45 pm
I'm gonna go with 2 Paks but in all honesty, one should do the trick for most people just fine. If you haven't used any EFAs before and feel you may be/have been deficient, I would reccomed a loading phase using 2 Paks a day for the first week and then going to one Pak thereafter.

Interesting. I'll give it a shot--load for a week at two packs, then go to single packs after...

Ox
04-22-08, 7:03 pm
Ox I enjoyed your article on the EFAs and have since added them to my diet. I am currently cutting, but wanted to know how many mgs i should be taking in a a day during a cut and bulk?

You gotta work hard for everything you get. Push yourself until you can't go anymore, and then go some more.

The same amounts would be used during each. What is important to keep in mind is not the total mg of fish oil, primrose oil etc but rather the total mgs of their constituents. For example you could take 1000 mg of fish oil from one company and it may have ha;lf the EPA and DHA as another brand. What matters is the EPA and the DHA. With the primrose oil or borage oil its the GLA that matters. My past regimine which consisted of

1000 mg of fish oil x 3 times daily
1300 mg of evening primrose oil daily
1000 mg of CLA x 3 times daily

yielded (respectively):

900 mg of EPA and 600 mg of DHA
351 mg of GLA
3000 mg of CLA

You can do this and buy the products separately or you can take Animal Omega. 2 paks would yield:

900 mg EPA and 700 mg of DHA
600 mg GLA
2400 mg of CLA
+ sesamin, digestive enzymes and a blend that offers oils from a variety of sources that would be far too costly and too complicated to supplement with.

jonnydunz
04-22-08, 9:50 pm
man OX you really know your stuff and that is what i strive to do as well. i want to be a knowledgeable source for those who may need some help achieving their goals. i am looking forward to the Omega and following a diet that will continue to give me the results that i desire. glad that you made it back from overseas and that you are back here on the forvm. i have a question also and it has to do with what you have stated.

you said that you will be taking 2 packs a day to get the amount of nutrients that you need. is this based on your size, workload, or just your preference. i am a big dude at 6'7" and about 290lbs with about 15-18%BF. just a guesstimate of BF as i am going to get caliper tested this week. is there a recommended dosage that pertains to the size of an individual?thanks again for your time answering this question. peace.

joelast
04-23-08, 9:22 am
Ox bro, after reading this thread I've up my EFA quite a bit and have noticed some awesome changes in energy. What you said about EPA and DHA makes me wonder though... how long have I been taking shitty EFA supps without even knowing it. Won't have to worrie about that when I get my Omega.

Ox
04-24-08, 9:24 am
you said that you will be taking 2 packs a day to get the amount of nutrients that you need. is this based on your size, workload, or just your preference. i am a big dude at 6'7" and about 290lbs with about 15-18%BF. just a guesstimate of BF as i am going to get caliper tested this week. is there a recommended dosage that pertains to the size of an individual?thanks again for your time answering this question. peace.

Honestly, I think anyone can benefit from 2 paks a day regardless of size. I think for a smaller individual, under 180 lbs, one pak may suffice. But optimally, everyone should take 2 paks.

Ox
04-24-08, 9:26 am
Ox bro, after reading this thread I've up my EFA quite a bit and have noticed some awesome changes in energy. What you said about EPA and DHA makes me wonder though... how long have I been taking shitty EFA supps without even knowing it. Won't have to worrie about that when I get my Omega.

Told ya! Everyone who I speak with says they feel great after upping their EFAs. Glad you like it. And you're right, with Animal you don't have to wonder abotu what you're taking.

Lunatic001
04-24-08, 2:33 pm
Ox,

We include Animal Omega in our macros for our keto diets? Also, did you find the poster? In my eyes, that represents the future of bodybuilding, you, House and Wrath.....

Thanks,
Lunatic001

Ox
04-24-08, 4:57 pm
Ox,

We include Animal Omega in our macros for our keto diets? Also, did you find the poster? In my eyes, that represents the future of bodybuilding, you, House and Wrath.....

Thanks,
Lunatic001

No you don't have to count them as part of your macros. I just picked up the poster today...cool shit!

Lunatic001
04-24-08, 4:59 pm
No you don't have to count them as part of your macros. I just picked up the poster today...cool shit!

Ox,

Thanks for the reply....Yup the poster is great...

Lunatic001

jonnydunz
04-25-08, 4:36 am
Honestly, I think anyone can benefit from 2 paks a day regardless of size. I think for a smaller individual, under 180 lbs, one pak may suffice. But optimally, everyone should take 2 paks.

i am looking forward to taking this awesome product and looking forward to the results that it helps me to achieve. thanks again for your insight into the nutrition side of things. peace bro.

MVC0924
04-29-08, 11:07 am
Actually I use a 1:1:1 ratio in the offseason and have found it very effective for a leaner bulk. For a diet based onj 300g of protein it would be 300g protein:300g Carbs:130g fats. Keep in mind this for offseason. Glad you like the keto method. Keep in mind that EFAs are an integral part of an offseason diet, a precontest diet, and even the diet of a sedentary desk clerk! Everyone needs them no matter what their goal(s).

Thanks for this post Ox. I am lookin to start a lean Bulk on May 12th. Im glad I came across this this!

Universal Rep
04-29-08, 11:08 am
Told ya! Everyone who I speak with says they feel great after upping their EFAs. Glad you like it. And you're right, with Animal you don't have to wonder abotu what you're taking.

I'll back that statement up. Solid formula and awesome quality.

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-05-08, 5:35 pm
jesus..ever since i read this thread about four weeks ago i started eating natty pb whenever i could..half a jar a day probably...i went from 150lbs to 160lbs..my bench went up a crazy 25 pounds...everything else went up pretty good too...i swear i look more ripped..my abs are popping out more..there is nothing better then EFA's!!!

Ox
05-06-08, 9:53 am
jesus..ever since i read this thread about four weeks ago i started eating natty pb whenever i could..half a jar a day probably...i went from 150lbs to 160lbs..my bench went up a crazy 25 pounds...everything else went up pretty good too...i swear i look more ripped..my abs are popping out more..there is nothing better then EFA's!!!

Hahaha....and everyone is afraid of fat! Spread the word.

dannynb
05-06-08, 10:55 am
Hahaha....and everyone is afraid of fat! Spread the word.

You ain't kidding...I've printed out you spill on EFA's and posted it on my wal in my office and on all the doors to the trainer's offices....I couldn't believe the comotion it stired up.

FourThirty
05-23-08, 1:56 pm
You ain't kidding...I've printed out you spill on EFA's and posted it on my wal in my office and on all the doors to the trainer's offices....I couldn't believe the comotion it stired up.

Ha! The folks in my office look at me funny when I down a TBSP of flax oil in the afternoon.

Right now I'm doing flax oil and sometimes throw in some fish oil pills on top. I'm going to give the new Animal Omega a shot. Would be nice to have everything in one package.

Thanks Ox.

mehancd
05-27-08, 8:48 pm
i did a search on fish oils and a lot of stuff came up. well, i didnt really want to go through it all, so if you have anything to add on the topic, id love to hear it. I take about 6 capsules a day. arnold's bodybuilding encyclopedia advises something on the order of nine. now, i know that everybody's body responds differently and blah blah blah but some things with minerals and vitamins stay the same (i.e. if you take more than one daily dose of vitamin c, you basically just have very expensive piss). supposedly these omega oils help with digestion of food in that they separate the good fat from the bad, allowing you to absorb more of what you need and much less of what you dont. because its expensive and i am broke as a joke (thank you $250 genetics text book that I cant sell back because they come out with a "newer" version every semester to make money...fucking whores), how much of this is too much? i know the answer is out there somewhere fellas, help me find it. its much appreciated. until then, have fun and enjoy lifting like it should be.

Wasteland
06-05-08, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the clarification Ox.

priority
06-09-08, 1:28 pm
Good fats are vital during a cut.
Since i have have started my cut i have added 2 tbspoons natty pb to my bedtime meal along with casein protein. Do you reckon i need to add more good fats regularly?
The only other fat i get is from meat, and the odd cheat meal a week.

Rambo, John J.
06-20-08, 12:11 pm
I try to eat fish when I can to get some good animal fats. I also put flax oil in my oats every morning to make sure I'm covered.

simpleguy
06-20-08, 1:47 pm
Good fats are vital during a cut.
Since i have have started my cut i have added 2 tbspoons natty pb to my bedtime meal along with casein protein. Do you reckon i need to add more good fats regularly?
The only other fat i get is from meat, and the odd cheat meal a week.

I might get a few nasty words for this, but too many rely only on peanut butter as their main source of 'healthy fats'... there are many better alternatives though... not saying that pb is not good, but I rarely see salmon, almonds, evoo or macademia oil (just to name a few) in most fellas' diets

Rambo, John J.
06-20-08, 3:03 pm
A lot of you guys use natty PB rather than almond? I have both, but wondering what you all think?

simpleguy
06-20-08, 3:37 pm
A lot of you guys use natty PB rather than almond? I have both, but wondering what you all think?

almond butter is slightly better imo, though taste-wise I prefer pb... use both

wedge
07-03-08, 7:21 pm
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I was wondering everyone's take on omega 3 fatty acids/fish oil. Some other sites I've looked through have it as a "staple" supplement, with whey, multi and creatine. I've looked it up, but am only finding overall health related info on it. Not that that is bad, but I was wondering how it helps in a bodybuilding setting.
Any help is appreciated.

npeezy
07-03-08, 7:27 pm
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I was wondering everyone's take on omega 3 fatty acids/fish oil. Some other sites I've looked through have it as a "staple" supplement, with whey, multi and creatine. I've looked it up, but am only finding overall health related info on it. Not that that is bad, but I was wondering how it helps in a bodybuilding setting.
Any help is appreciated.

HERE YA GO, EVERYTHING YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EFAS

http://animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=61

TheDarkHalf
07-03-08, 7:46 pm
http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=405

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=401

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=19047

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=16795

If these don't cover your questions about EFAs......I don't know what will.

wedge
07-03-08, 8:51 pm
Thank you. I feel like an idiot, can't believe I forgot about this. Looks like I know what I'm buying after the holiday.

npeezy
07-03-08, 9:02 pm
Thank you. I feel like an idiot, can't believe I forgot about this. Looks like I know what I'm buying after the holiday.

no problem. animal omega is one of those staples you need...just like pak. give it time and youll love and feel the results.

Wasteland
07-31-08, 8:53 am

EFAs are useful for people in general. But they can especially benefit the lifter, regardless of goals.

Mackk
09-29-08, 9:41 pm
I've tried to find a straight answer, but I've gotten some mixed opinions, my question is, should I take my EFAs immediately after training when insulin levels are very high? I ask this because I have heard that when there is too high of a surplus in insulin in the body, the EFAs can be wasted.

TheDarkHalf
09-29-08, 11:51 pm
I've tried to find a straight answer, but I've gotten some mixed opinions, my question is, should I take my EFAs immediately after training when insulin levels are very high? I ask this because I have heard that when there is too high of a surplus in insulin in the body, the EFAs can be wasted.

I always take my Omega right before bed bro.

fenix237
10-20-08, 2:37 pm
Can anyone clear up some confusion I'm having. I'm going to start the KETO diet. I need to take in 130 grams/fat a day based on my 192lbs LBM.

1.) what is the best ratio for sat. fats from fish/eggs/meat to unsaturated fats from supplements, PB etc.

2.) please break down what a EFA fat intake should look like along with the respective cals. I know to shoot for 50P and around 22F per meal.

...want to follow the KETO exactly as Ox explains it.

Thnx all-BRP

gitBig
11-08-08, 12:16 pm
I'm taking Universal's Omega EFA capsules right now. There are 90 in a bottle that I can buy for about 6 bucks. it seems way cheaper than going with the Animal Omega. I don't have my doubts about Omega, because I have great success with pak, pump, and nitro. Will these Omega EFA capsules be sufficient enough? They say they are cold pressed flaxseed omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Do I need to upgrade to the Animal Omega paks to be getting enough EFA's? Im taking about 2 caps with every meal so about 6-8 per day. What do you think bro's?

Universal Rep
12-08-08, 4:35 pm
I'm taking Universal's Omega EFA capsules right now. There are 90 in a bottle that I can buy for about 6 bucks. it seems way cheaper than going with the Animal Omega. I don't have my doubts about Omega, because I have great success with pak, pump, and nitro. Will these Omega EFA capsules be sufficient enough? They say they are cold pressed flaxseed omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Do I need to upgrade to the Animal Omega paks to be getting enough EFA's? Im taking about 2 caps with every meal so about 6-8 per day. What do you think bro's?

It's def a better value but not nearly as complete. Omega EFA is basically flaxseed oil. Great source of EFAs but just one source. My personal opinion--AO is better than Omega EFA...

redskin 344
01-23-09, 12:43 pm
Thanks for opening my eyes on fats.....I added them to my diet and I have seen improvements. I can't wait to read the input from other Animals.

Lunatic001

and fats are actually good for the eyes as well lol

bassmonkey16
03-26-09, 2:14 pm
Hey Ox, now i know these aren't EFAs, but they are a fat nonetheless. I was just curious as to your opinion on MCTs, in regards to both off season bulking and pre contest cutting. Thanks

t_mh
05-08-09, 3:33 pm
Are the EFAs in Animal Pak enough?

LegendKillerJosh
06-25-09, 11:22 pm

No. In addition to Pak I use an unnamed supp I found that contains flax/fish/borage oil. I also try to eat fish like salmon and tuna when possible, I snack on mixed nuts (I like mixed nuts, mixed veggies and mixed fruits because I like getting a variety in my meals) and LOVE sunflower kernels. Olive oil is also good.

LegendKillerJosh
06-25-09, 11:22 pm
Quick question on EFAs though - everyone is so high on olive oil, but it is pricey. Why is better than cheap old soybean oil which is only 3 bucks for a very big bottle?

IronWilson
06-25-09, 11:45 pm
Quick question on EFAs though - everyone is so high on olive oil, but it is pricey. Why is better than cheap old soybean oil which is only 3 bucks for a very big bottle?

i have been using walnut oil lately. Its got a pretty high amount of Omega 3s and it's cheaper than olive oil.

TigerAce01
06-25-09, 11:55 pm

Soy has been researched and linked to have a connection with a rise in estrogen levels in the body. Soy should normally be avoided by anyone looking to maximize their hormone levels.

-Ace

GJN5002
06-26-09, 10:38 am
Soy has been researched and linked to have a connection with a rise in estrogen levels in the body. Soy should normally be avoided by anyone looking to maximize their hormone levels.

-Ace

also, look into the way soy is processed usuing industrial solvents, I try to avoid soy.

GJN5002
06-26-09, 10:39 am
i have been using walnut oil lately. Its got a pretty high amount of Omega 3s and it's cheaper than olive oil.

I was considering that too, how does it taste because I hate the taste of olive oil? I was running late and decided to take a swig of olive oil which was a mistake.

IronWilson
06-26-09, 11:21 am
I was considering that too, how does it taste because I hate the taste of olive oil? I was running late and decided to take a swig of olive oil which was a mistake.

Eh, it's alright.... and I say that loosely, lol. To me, it kind of taste like that bitter taste you get from eggs. You might like it. It is nowhere as good as Macadamia nut oil, but it is so much cheaper than olive oil and mac nut oil.

LegendKillerJosh
06-26-09, 12:34 pm
what about canola oil?

GJN5002
06-26-09, 12:38 pm
what about canola oil?

bad as well.

Canola Oil contains 5% saturated fat, 57% oleic acid, 23% omega-6 and 10%-15% omega-3. The newest oil on the market, canola oil was developed from the rape seed, a member of the mustard family. Rape seed is unsuited to human consumption because it contains a very-long-chain fatty acid called erucic acid, which under some circumstances is associated with fibrotic heart lesions. Canola oil was bred to contain little if any erucic acid and has drawn the attention of nutritionists because of its high oleic acid content. But there are some indications that canola oil presents dangers of its own. It has a high sulphur content and goes rancid easily. Baked goods made with canola oil develop mold very quickly. During the deodorizing process, the omega-3 fatty acids of processed canola oil are transformed into trans fatty acids, similar to those in margarine and possibly more dangerous.69 A recent study indicates that "heart healthy" canola oil actually creates a deficiency of vitamin E, a vitamin required for a healthy cardiovascular system.70 Other studies indicate that even low-erucic-acid canola oil causes heart lesions, particularly when the diet is low in saturated fat.71
from
westonaprice.org

Wasteland
07-02-09, 3:13 pm

Animal Pak is essentially a multivitamin product. For EFA, you would look at Animal Omega for example.

TigerAce01
07-02-09, 3:19 pm
Animal Pak is essentially a multivitamin product. For EFA, you would look at Animal Omega for example.

x2

I've just started using Omega, and I already see and feel a difference. I'm leaner, harder, more vascular, and more energetic. Didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but I even feel my endurance going up.

Awesome product.

-Ace

Wasteland
07-02-09, 4:30 pm
x2

I've just started using Omega, and I already see and feel a difference. I'm leaner, harder, more vascular, and more energetic. Didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but I even feel my endurance going up.

Awesome product.

-Ace

To me, it's sort of like taking Uni-Liver. It's sometimes hard to say exactly how it is benefiting, but you can feel it. Though it sounds like, for you, the benefits of Animal Omega are pretty clear.

TheDarkHalf
07-02-09, 4:33 pm
I can definitely attest to the improved energy levels from omega. One day I took two packs 30 mins pre-exercise and really noticed an improvement.

TigerAce01
07-02-09, 4:47 pm
To me, it's sort of like taking Uni-Liver. It's sometimes hard to say exactly how it is benefiting, but you can feel it. Though it sounds like, for you, the benefits of Animal Omega are pretty clear.

Yeah, I've never taken an EFA supplement before. Loving it.

-Ace

sachmo23
07-04-09, 8:57 pm
Avado Oil, Has anyone ever heard of the benefits of this type of oil ? and Ox you look great just saw a video of you, it's amazing what doing a little research and fallowing a good diet one can acomplish. keep it up bro.

fenix237
12-08-09, 11:51 am
hey bros, got a question for anyone that knows the answer; when trying to determine how many EFA'a we should be consuming, what's the rule of thumb? i always see guy/girls taking 6-12 grams a day or something like that, but it's never based on bodyweight like everything else

i have a bottle of Omega 3's geltabs and Flaxseed geltabs, and i'm hoping to find out what the recommended serving should be based on weight- thnx fella's!

Beowulf
12-08-09, 11:57 am
I just pop one Animal Omega pack. Easy.

fenix237
12-08-09, 12:09 pm
I just pop one Animal Omega pack. Easy.

i hear ya bro! i took Omega for awhile (liked it!), but business has been slow lately so i'm watching my pennies. i already take the pak, flex, uniliver, S/P Just Whey, and Cuts- plus lots of whole foods... my food/supplement budget is maxed out at the moment