PDA

View Full Version : Stage Rookies unite...

B.C.
04-14-08, 12:12 am
Since I decided to do my first show, I have discovered many more questions than answers. I'm from an area where bodybuilding does not seem to be very popular, so the FORVM is my main source of info and motivation.

This thread is meant for all of us who have decided to take the plunge and get on stage for the first time. We'll use it to motivate each other to keep going when we hit the walls that we never before had to face. We can share information and advice that we recieved from others, and offer encouragement to those who share the same fears and apprehensions as we do.

We have already taken the first step Brothers, and we can walk the rest of the way together...Stage Rookies unite.

By the way, the show I'm doing is the NPC Erik Fankhouser Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix...novice division of course.

B.C.
04-16-08, 2:55 am
After much confusion on the subject, I settled on a regular low carb diet for the time being. I still have five months, so if it isn't working like I want it to after a month, I'll do something more (or less) drastic. Cardio is 4-5 times a week right now. I am a little anxious about my conditioning. I have NEVER been below 10% BF in my life, so I'm worried about how difficult it's going to be to shed those last few percentage points. Anyone know how low I'll need to get for a novice show? Is 4-5% about right?

born0withno0soul
04-16-08, 3:08 am
i think carb cycling will be great for your first try. you will never know until you try it. i know it worked great for my first show

ATLMusclBro5
04-16-08, 4:00 am
Getting ready for a show and competing are like nothing else you'll ever experience. I competed at the novice level last year and it was an amazing experience. It's definitely one of the most challenging things I've done to date. But also very rewarding. I'm looking forward to getting back on stage this summer.

Good luck rookies! Looking forward to reading about your experiences!!

B.C.
04-19-08, 4:28 pm
I'm not sure what my BF percentage is, I need to get it checked. I'm looking good though. I'm fighting the urge to want to over diet, and lose all the BF at one time. I know 20 weeks is a long time, but never having been below 10% BF, I'm subconciously afraid that I won't make it in time. I'm shooting for 5%...I hope that's low enough.

blueIMlifter
04-19-08, 4:32 pm
I'm not sure what my BF percentage is, I need to get it checked. I'm looking good though. I'm fighting the urge to want to over diet, and lose all the BF at one time. I know 20 weeks is a long time, but never having been below 10% BF, I'm subconciously afraid that I won't make it in time. I'm shooting for 5%...I hope that's low enough.

sounds exactly like me. im over anxious to be peeled to the bone but i know its all about peaking for that one day. my show is 9 weeks out from today and im probably at 9-10% and i cant wait to get it down to around 5%. weird thing is i wouldnt be surprised if i have actually gained a little muscle because ive been tearing the hell outta my workouts.

jhicks3301
04-19-08, 4:44 pm
I'm doing my first show as well this October. I start prep on June 1st..

Going to be doing NPC San Fran

deanna7272
04-19-08, 5:03 pm
Good luck to you that are taking this leap... I took it 19 weeks ago and my first show is NEXT Saturday.. I am doing Figure, but nonetheless... It's one helluva ride from excitement to complete breakdown (Last night I locked myself in my bedroom and told my hubby that I didn't want company while one of my BEST friend was standing in my livingroom...) Don't laugh, you may do dumbass shit like that too.

My advice is surround yourself with those that SUPPORT you. No one "out there" understands WHAT you do or WHY you do it, so when you find people that "get it" you will know ("ANIMALS" know)...

Stay strong, stay committed, and stay TRUE to yourself if nothing else... It's a strange trip, and hopefully next Sunday I can say that it's ALL worth it..lol I heard it is...he he he

Oh, and even with what seemed like "scare tactics" coming out, I am ALSO doing House's show... I will begin my prep (already being lean) about 16 weeks out... I'll see ya there...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

B.C.
04-19-08, 7:43 pm
Hell yeah...this thread is finally starting to take off. This is what I hoped for when I started this thing.

Deanna, where are you from in Ohio? I'm from the Canton/Akron area, I'm just stationed out here in South Dakota. I'm making the trip home to do the show in September.

BamBam
04-19-08, 7:45 pm
Yo fellas...I did my first show in 2006, and am doing another one this August...

Any help and or assitance needed LET ME KNOW...Im with yall!! Lets all get on the stage and show em' how we fucking rock it here in the LEGION....

BIG!!!!

In IRON,
Josh

RooRooTJ
04-19-08, 8:01 pm
I took my first step a few weeks ago. If you are looking for advice on a diet, I went with the Keto approach and it worked really well. The only thing I would have tried to do a little better is carb up a little better. I think i looked a little flat. Good luck with your prep, I will be back on the course in a few months, got my 2nd and third show comin up in October.

jhicks3301
04-19-08, 8:04 pm
I'm looking forward to the experience and this will for sure be a learning experience for me!

B.C.
04-19-08, 8:18 pm
sounds exactly like me. im over anxious to be peeled to the bone but i know its all about peaking for that one day. my show is 9 weeks out from today and im probably at 9-10% and i cant wait to get it down to around 5%. weird thing is i wouldnt be surprised if i have actually gained a little muscle because ive been tearing the hell outta my workouts.

188 at 9-10% is pretty damn good for 5'9". I'm right around 200 now, but I could be anywhere from 12-15% at 5'8". I sure would like to be about 185 on stage, but that may be a bit ambitious. I was 176 at 10% when I came back from my last deployment, but it's kinda been a roller coaster since then. I'm interested to see how much of the weight I gained was lean mass. I don't think I'm going to try and gain this much that fast again though...slow and steady is probably better.

Love the sig by the way. Good Luck with the conditioning Bro!!!

BamBam
04-19-08, 8:18 pm
I took my first step a few weeks ago. If you are looking for advice on a diet, I went with the Keto approach and it worked really well. The only thing I would have tried to do a little better is carb up a little better. I think i looked a little flat. Good luck with your prep, I will be back on the course in a few months, got my 2nd and third show comin up in October.

What shows u doing Roo? And how did u place??? You looked good man!

MassMan
04-19-08, 8:21 pm
Took my first step on stage last year @ this teen bodybuilding event. Me and my friend entered and he took the superheavyweight @ 224lbs and won the overall.

I took 7th in the heavyweight @ 210lbs.... first contest and 3 days out, completely flattened out..... also couldn't get the front lat spread for shit!!! Definetely need to practice more on posing.Gonna step on stage in a couple of years, hopefully as a superheavy...

jhicks3301
04-19-08, 8:33 pm
I hope to bring it up to around 220 before I prep... We will see.

Also, going to practice posing at least twice a week

blueIMlifter
04-20-08, 12:07 am
188 at 9-10% is pretty damn good for 5'9". I'm right around 200 now, but I could be anywhere from 12-15% at 5'8". I sure would like to be about 185 on stage, but that may be a bit ambitious. I was 176 at 10% when I came back from my last deployment, but it's kinda been a roller coaster since then. I'm interested to see how much of the weight I gained was lean mass. I don't think I'm going to try and gain this much that fast again though...slow and steady is probably better.

Love the sig by the way. Good Luck with the conditioning Bro!!!

i guess i should alter my sig a little bit because im about 185 currently. i try to keep that as up to date as i can. im competing in the middle weight division so i have to get under 176 which wont be a problem. back in december i was all the way up to 212 lbs...although i had no intentions of competing at the time so i started to diet january 1st and didnt eat as much as i needed to so i started to lose weight then i fixed it then i decided to compete so im actually eating more now than i was on my january "diet."

scals
04-20-08, 12:52 am
I'm doing the INBF Naturalmania Nationals on September 20. Just got my amateur card in the mail yesterday. I'm gonna go into the Open Division even though it's my first show.

jhicks3301
04-20-08, 2:28 am
I'm doing the INBF Naturalmania Nationals on September 20. Just got my amateur card in the mail yesterday. I'm gonna go into the Open Division even though it's my first show.

nice!! Good luck!

WeeMan
04-20-08, 7:56 am
i said in my journey that im gonna compete in the 2009 NABBA Mr Scotland, but iv changed my mind sinse then and im gonna go on stage at the 2009 BNBF Mr Scotland.
ao leaving myself what i hope is plenty of time to grow bigger, and then finally cut.

good thread.

RooRooTJ
04-20-08, 10:25 am
What shows u doing Roo? And how did u place??? You looked good man!

Thanks Bam. I placed 12th and after talking to the judges found it was mostly because of my back. I wasnt as wide as everyone and also wasnt hitting the lat poses right. I am still working on them now so that come October I have them down pat. I plan on doing the INBF Cardinal Classic in Youngstown and the NPC Monster Mash at Miami University if they still have it. Going to try to make a huge improvement by then.

blueIMlifter
04-20-08, 11:15 am
Thanks Bam. I placed 12th and after talking to the judges found it was mostly because of my back. I wasnt as wide as everyone and also wasnt hitting the lat poses right. I am still working on them now so that come October I have them down pat. I plan on doing the INBF Cardinal Classic in Youngstown and the NPC Monster Mash at Miami University if they still have it. Going to try to make a huge improvement by then.

what advice would you give us rookies planning on hitting the stage in the coming months?

deanna7272
04-20-08, 3:54 pm
Hell yeah...this thread is finally starting to take off. This is what I hoped for when I started this thing.

Deanna, where are you from in Ohio? I'm from the Canton/Akron area, I'm just stationed out here in South Dakota. I'm making the trip home to do the show in September.

I am from a little town called Tiltonsville, right on the river... The easiest way to explain is that it's South of Steubenville and North of Wheeling...lol I am right across the river from House...

My brother lives in Minerva... How close are you? We helped remodel his house and I spent a lot of time up there a few summers ago...lol

BamBam
04-20-08, 4:22 pm

Well its good that you know what u need to work on from the judges point of view...so I know u will get them lats right for your next shows...and since I am competing in Sept. I plan on going to the monster mash (again if they have it) so I can get two shows in this yr.

If ya need anything Roo hit me up man and good luck with your next contest prep bro!

BamBam
04-20-08, 4:29 pm
what advice would you give us rookies planning on hitting the stage in the coming months?

Just have fun...remember this is a learning experience. You are going on stage again as a rookie. No, we're not rookies in the weight room, but with posing, and competing against one another under the lights we are! Here are a few things I think you guys need to remember and focus in on...

1.) Listen to one person and one person only when it comes to the dieting
2.) CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION!!! No matter how big u r, if u aren't lean enough...you won't win or place highly because being LEAN and peeled is what wins shows! Make sure you are getting enough cardio in (20 mins morning, 20 mins after workouts, and then I do another 45 ins in the eve with ab work at my house).
3.) POSING- work on this shit whenever you have down time. I pose for20 mins after every workout when I get to 16 weeks out. I hold each pose (all my mandatories and some other odd ones) for 1 minute, then rest for 10 seconds, pose again, repeat. When this gets easy i amp it up to 2 mins a pose. This will help you create seperation, become HARD as a brick, and judges know who has posed and who hasn't when you get on stage. If you flex and begin to shake, there goes points, but if you can hit those poses and HOLD them and move fluidly through each of them, you will be good to go!
4.) HAVE FUN...if you get discouraged, or the diet gets you down, or when workouts might not be up to par...remember its all apart of the Journey to the stage. So keep you heads up and keep barreling toward the show and dont stop, dont give up..

Anything else I am here..

MassMan
04-20-08, 4:40 pm

Find a posing trunk that matches your hair and skin color. Also, make sure to expirement with different tanning products.

jhicks3301
04-20-08, 7:11 pm
Some solid advice fellas!! I'll be keeping all of this in the back of my mind!

BamBam
04-20-08, 8:10 pm
Find a posing trunk that matches your hair and skin color. Also, make sure to expirement with different tanning products.

BLACK!!! I used a black 2" posing trunk and it fits me perfectly.

but black goes with everything and if u r really tan, it looks sick, but if you aren't as tan, then the black will still blend in well.

MassMan
04-20-08, 8:43 pm
BLACK!!! I used a black 2" posing trunk and it fits me perfectly.

but black goes with everything and if u r really tan, it looks sick, but if you aren't as tan, then the black will still blend in well.

I remember my trunks.... mix of light blue and tangerine!!!! So fucking retro!! My friend went with a glittery tangerine/purple pair, like the ones Darrem Charles posed in the '05 NY Pro.... he had a real dark tan and it looked sooooo weird!!!! Not used to light and sark contrasting like that!!!

BamBam
04-20-08, 8:47 pm
I remember my trunks.... mix of light blue and tangerine!!!! So fucking retro!! My friend went with a glittery tangerine/purple pair, like the ones Darrem Charles posed in the '05 NY Pro.... he had a real dark tan and it looked sooooo weird!!!! Not used to light and sark contrasting like that!!!

Dude Im going to have to get me some of those lol!!!

MassMan
04-20-08, 9:47 pm

Looks real good on people with light skin/tan. I recommend it!

MassMan
04-20-08, 9:49 pm
Another tip, already mentioned before, practice your posing routines, get some good music, don't tan too much and you're set.

practice posing!!! If you've payed your dues in the gym, the posedown will make or break you!!

Enforcer
04-20-08, 9:50 pm
Since I decided to do my first show, I have discovered many more questions than answers. I'm from an area where bodybuilding does not seem to be very popular, so the FORVM is my main source of info and motivation.

This thread is meant for all of us who have decided to take the plunge and get on stage for the first time. We'll use it to motivate each other to keep going when we hit the walls that we never before had to face. We can share information and advice that we recieved from others, and offer encouragement to those who share the same fears and apprehensions as we do.

We have already taken the first step Brothers, and we can walk the rest of the way together...Stage Rookies unite.

By the way, the show I'm doing is the NPC Erik Fankhouser Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix...novice division of course.

Best of luck bro. Kick ass and reprsent

B.C.
04-20-08, 10:12 pm
Best of luck bro. Kick ass and reprsent

Thanks man. As long as I put fourth the best package I can at the time, I'll be happy.

deanna7272
04-20-08, 10:39 pm

Don't you dare, I will KNOCK you OFF the stage....lol

BamBam
04-20-08, 11:17 pm
Don't you dare, I will KNOCK you OFF the stage....lol

ROFL!!! hahahaha....Now I want to get them even more to see what u say and or do! lol.

I might go with blue this time though...switch it up a bit...depends on how much money I have...hmm.

deanna7272
04-20-08, 11:25 pm
ROFL!!! hahahaha....Now I want to get them even more to see what u say and or do! lol.

I might go with blue this time though...switch it up a bit...depends on how much money I have...hmm.

You know I am teasing, I was just thinking of him saying that glittery ones looked bad...lol
I am thankful that the ones I have work with my colors or I would have been screwed...

Another bit of advice, channel your stress... I can't believe how I let all the MONETARY things roll down until the last week... Take care of your monetary priorities when they arise, DON'T procrastinate...

More advice will come as it hits me....

BamBam
04-20-08, 11:56 pm
You know I am teasing, I was just thinking of him saying that glittery ones looked bad...lol
I am thankful that the ones I have work with my colors or I would have been screwed...

Another bit of advice, channel your stress... I can't believe how I let all the MONETARY things roll down until the last week... Take care of your monetary priorities when they arise, DON'T procrastinate...

More advice will come as it hits me....

LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN GUYS!!!!! She is wise beyond her years!

jhicks3301
04-21-08, 2:44 pm
Hey I'm soaking up everything here!

Brutus_515
04-21-08, 2:46 pm
A hint about posing trunks for guys ...Dont let the judge remember what color trunks you had on....little advice you want them to remember your physique not your colorful trunks

BamBam
04-21-08, 4:32 pm
A hint about posing trunks for guys ...Dont let the judge remember what color trunks you had on....little advice you want them to remember your physique not your colorful trunks

Nice.....

deanna7272
04-21-08, 10:00 pm
LISTEN TO THIS WOMAN GUYS!!!!! She is wise beyond her years!

I wouldn't go that far, I just LEARN from my MISTAKES...lol

BamBam
04-21-08, 10:10 pm
I wouldn't go that far, I just LEARN from my MISTAKES...lol

You and I both sister! ;)

Oh and I read your myspace tagline thing...dont worry about things falling into place...you will be amazed what happens to you the last 3 days b4 the show...especially the night b4 and then the next mornings carb up so you can fill out...its amazing...Love ya D'...Im right behind you!!!

blueIMlifter
04-21-08, 10:15 pm
i have some pics 8 1/2 weeks out in my journey on the last page if you guys wanna check em out and tell me what you think.

thanks for all the tips everybody too.

BamBam
04-21-08, 10:23 pm
i have some pics 8 1/2 weeks out in my journey on the last page if you guys wanna check em out and tell me what you think.

thanks for all the tips everybody too.

Saw the pics and gave some advice...just minor things...

blueIMlifter
04-21-08, 10:52 pm
Saw the pics and gave some advice...just minor things...

thanks bro.

BamBam
04-21-08, 10:53 pm
thanks bro.

No need to thank...we're family...

B.C.
04-27-08, 12:34 pm
The diet had me feeling like shit. I was tired ALL the time, and my motivation was taking a nose dive. At 20 weeks, I have decided to go Keto. Everything I hated about my old diet, is supposed to be non-existant with the Keto diet, so I'm giving it a shot. It has to be very strict, so it'll keep me focused. I did a shit load of research, most of it here on the forvm. I read through all of Ox's keto threads, so I could make sure I was doing this thing right.

B.C.
04-27-08, 12:39 pm
I just confirmed everything through her thread (I didn't want to look like an ass), and Deanna did awesome at her show! She took 2nd in the Masters Figure, and 3rd in the Open! Lowdown described her as "smokin' hot!!", so let's hope she posts up some pics soon. CONGRATS DEANNA for taking the plunge, and taking the stage by storm!

Jala_B
04-27-08, 2:57 pm
I am planning on doing my first figure competition on October 18th. It is an NANBF show, and will be in Elk River, MN.

I am doing some training on my own, but do have a trainer who wil be working with me. He normally charges $100/hr, but after seeing my pics and my workout ethic, he offered to train me for free to help build up his portfolio. Can't really say no to that! The thing that "sold" me on taking him up on his offer, is the fact that he is willing to let me keep training heavier so I can stay in powerlifting competition shape

He is going to have me on a 16 week training cycle. I NEED to do a girl's night out in the next 6 weeks! (Haven't had one since last June, so I think I am due...)

Getting nervous and excited for all of us!!!

B.C.
04-27-08, 4:24 pm
Jala B, welcome...and good luck on your journey to the stage! I must say I have never heard of a powerlifting figure competitor before. My utmost respect goes out to you for having the gumption to try them both at the same time.

Jala_B
04-29-08, 11:52 am
B.C.---

Thank you for the welcome to this post. Yeah, I do get a few strange looks when I tell people. I just get strange looks when I tell them I am a powerlifter! It should be a doubly interesting ride!!

McFly
04-29-08, 11:57 am
i'm be competing for the first time this august....good idea for a thread!!

deanna7272
04-29-08, 12:02 pm
I just confirmed everything through her thread (I didn't want to look like an ass), and Deanna did awesome at her show! She took 2nd in the Masters Figure, and 3rd in the Open! Lowdown described her as "smokin' hot!!", so let's hope she posts up some pics soon. CONGRATS DEANNA for taking the plunge, and taking the stage by storm!

Hey thanks... It was a great experience and I can't wait for the next.... I am so excited to get back to the weights and BUILD BUILD BUILD....

Jala... I am excited for you.... Free training??? He MUST be confident... You go girl!!!!

Jala_B
05-11-08, 8:34 am
Any updates on training? It's been a couple of weeks since the last post.

B.C.
05-11-08, 10:01 am
Any updates on training? It's been a couple of weeks since the last post.

My training is going great! My diet however...not so great. I have been working a TON, and I keep giving in to convenience. I'm still losing because of all the cardio, but if I could clean up the diet I'd be a lot better off. Good thing I still have 18 weeks.

jhicks3301
05-12-08, 4:48 pm
I start my prep june 1st!!! Looking to kick some ass for my first show!

B.C.
05-12-08, 4:52 pm
I start my prep june 1st!!! Looking to kick some ass for my first show!

Welcome to the thread jhicks. There's a lot of good info here already, and we're always looking to add more.

WeeMan
05-12-08, 5:11 pm
ok i dunno how this thread works, but im bulking for a show next year and iv just gained 20lbs

B.C.
05-12-08, 5:25 pm
Good enough Wee Man. We're just here to help each other along. It doesn't "work" any certain way at all.

WeeMan
05-12-08, 6:00 pm
Good enough Wee Man. We're just here to help each other along. It doesn't "work" any certain way at all.

hah thats good to hear. i want to know whos going for a more "classic" style of poseing??
im working hard one my routine and practising really hard. i want to 'wow' people with my routine.

B.C.
05-12-08, 6:25 pm
I'm definitely going more classic. I think I'm going to pose to a slow Pantera song though. Lots of old school poses, like the ones Arnold talks about in the Encyclopedia.

MassMan
05-12-08, 10:19 pm
Anyone see Kai's posing routine @ the NY Pro??? Sooo fucking sick.. definetely not a "classic" posing routine, but it's just unbelievable how someone his size can MOVE.

BamBam
05-12-08, 10:42 pm
Anyone see Kai's posing routine @ the NY Pro??? Sooo fucking sick.. definetely not a "classic" posing routine, but it's just unbelievable how someone his size can MOVE.

Big man got some feet on him! Good shit!

Hope everyone is doing well and if you guys need anything then lemme know...Im always here!

IN IRON,
Josh

WeeMan
05-13-08, 11:55 am
I'm definitely going more classic. I think I'm going to pose to a slow Pantera song though. Lots of old school poses, like the ones Arnold talks about in the Encyclopedia.

yea same
i saw a guy posing to the song Rammstein by Rammstein. wish id thought of that!! i want a slow heavy song.

zanderfever
05-21-08, 3:29 pm
I'm going for my first 2 shows this November. November 1st is the INBA Eastern USA & New York State Ironman Championships. My main focus is on November 15th, at the NPC Eastern USA's. I'll be in the 17 & Under Teen Division and i'm starting the precontest diet 16/18 weeks out.

I have a question concerning the last few days before the contest. What should be done with sodium, water, and carbs? I'm still a little hazy about how I should manipulate them, and frankly i'm a little worried about the dehydration.

B.C.
05-25-08, 1:33 pm
I just got through my first "rough patch" of this prep. I got real down on myself, and started to wonder if I had what it took to get things done. I had a good sit down with my wife to make sure she WANTS me to do this, not just that she's OK with it. I was starting to make excuses out of fear, and I almost decided not to do the show. I got through it though, with a lot of help from some friends here at the forvm. I am starting to realize the importance of a good support structure while going through show prep. I'm back to the grind now...always moving forward.

Jala_B
05-25-08, 2:29 pm
Glad you stayed with things!! I would've been sad to hear you decided to not compete.

I have a really good guy friend that I lift with who I have always thought would've done great in competitions. When I just started thinking about doing a show, I found out that he did the whole diet and training for a couple of different shows, and chickened out and never entered. I can tell by the support/encouragement that he gives me, that he kinda regrets it (just in how he talks).

B.C.
05-25-08, 8:46 pm
Glad you stayed with things!! I would've been sad to hear you decided to not compete.

I have a really good guy friend that I lift with who I have always thought would've done great in competitions. When I just started thinking about doing a show, I found out that he did the whole diet and training for a couple of different shows, and chickened out and never entered. I can tell by the support/encouragement that he gives me, that he kinda regrets it (just in how he talks).

I would never forgive myself if I quit. Even the pros come in off their best sometimes, but they don't blow off a show just because they're a little smooth. I would rather be in bad condition, still do the show and learn from it, than quit and learn nothing other than the fact that I was a quitter.

deanna7272
05-26-08, 1:10 am
I went back to find this post that atrain11b posted a week ago and I copied this quote. I think with the circumstances that B.C. just went through and those of you who are stepping onstage for the first time, this fits.... Thank you atrain for posting it brother, you get all the credit....

"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

When I saw this, I had just returned from talking with a dear friend of mine at the gym that is stepping onstage for the first time also... He is worried about which class he's going to be in, he's woried about not placing well, and he KNOWS that his "friends" will be critical of him and his decision to compete. When I saw the post from atrain, I couldn't print it out FAST enough....

I hope it helps...

B.C.
05-26-08, 3:09 am
I went back to find this post that atrain11b posted a week ago and I copied this quote. I think with the circumstances that B.C. just went through and those of you who are stepping onstage for the first time, this fits.... Thank you atrain for posting it brother, you get all the credit....

"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

When I saw this, I had just returned from talking with a dear friend of mine at the gym that is stepping onstage for the first time also... He is worried about which class he's going to be in, he's woried about not placing well, and he KNOWS that his "friends" will be critical of him and his decision to compete. When I saw the post from atrain, I couldn't print it out FAST enough....

I hope it helps...

It helps.

Thank you Deanna.

BamBam
05-26-08, 8:24 am
I'm going for my first 2 shows this November. November 1st is the INBA Eastern USA & New York State Ironman Championships. My main focus is on November 15th, at the NPC Eastern USA's. I'll be in the 17 & Under Teen Division and i'm starting the precontest diet 16/18 weeks out.

I have a question concerning the last few days before the contest. What should be done with sodium, water, and carbs? I'm still a little hazy about how I should manipulate them, and frankly i'm a little worried about the dehydration.

Hey Zander! Uhm, well, first off...let me see your diet so I can help you with the carb manipulation part. The water should be cut out about 16hrs b4 stage time. Sodium should always be kept at a minimum at all times. I am cutting diet pop out of my diet 4 weeks out, and salt and other no carb, no sugar condiments out at 2 weeks...maybe more.

Bro, don't worry....dehydration should not be a worry as long as you don't do anything crazy like take a bunch of diuretics or stop drinking water like 2 days before...

Im here to help bro....Im here for yall...Lemme know what I can do!!

IN IRON,
BAMBAM

B.C.
05-27-08, 8:04 pm
Almost this whole month, I've been beating myself up over not making the progress that I thought I should be making. I weghed in at 191.6 this moring, beating my goal 1f 192. I have weighed myself every day this week, mostly to monitor water levels, but there has been a pleasant side effect of it. I have lost a consistant .4 pounds every day since Friday. I'm actually losing a bit too fast right now! I don't want to drop my cardio, so I get to ADD a few calories into my diet. I've only been eating about 100g of carbs, so now I'm going to bump it up to 120g, and see if it slows down at all. I have lost an inch off of my waist/gut this month too...a WHOLE INCH. This trip home will be a test. I won't be in TOTAL control of my diet or schedule, so I'll be tested every day not to skip any sessions or meals. If I make it through this trip, I know I'll have the guts to make it all the way to the show. And to think I was beating myself up over not getting anywhere...I think it was a pretty solid month now that I look at it objectively. We really are our own worst critics.

Jala_B
05-27-08, 8:21 pm
Almost this whole month, I've been beating myself up over not making the progress that I thought I should be making. I weghed in at 191.6 this moring, beating my goal 1f 192. I have weighed myself every day this week, mostly to monitor water levels, but there has been a pleasant side effect of it. I have lost a consistant .4 pounds every day since Friday. I'm actually losing a bit too fast right now! I don't want to drop my cardio, so I get to ADD a few calories into my diet. I've only been eating about 100g of carbs, so now I'm going to bump it up to 120g, and see if it slows down at all. I have lost an inch off of my waist/gut this month too...a WHOLE INCH. This trip home will be a test. I won't be in TOTAL control of my diet or schedule, so I'll be tested every day not to skip any sessions or meals. If I make it through this trip, I know I'll have the guts to make it all the way to the show. And to think I was beating myself up over not getting anywhere...I think it was a pretty solid month now that I look at it objectively. We really are our own worst critics.

Great job B.C!

B.C.
05-27-08, 8:30 pm
Great job B.C!

Thanks.

The Epidemic
05-29-08, 3:50 am
one thing no one talks about is tanning.. me and my sister practice tanning using pro tan. its tricky to get a even color...

what do u guys use to keep body odor down whilce at the show?

BamBam
05-29-08, 9:03 am
one thing no one talks about is tanning.. me and my sister practice tanning using pro tan. its tricky to get a even color...

what do u guys use to keep body odor down whilce at the show?

Deodorant haha. I haven't had problems with odor at my show to be honest. But it could be prevelant yeah. I would just use some febreeze or some axe bodyspray.

Pro tan sucks....Use dream tan! :) That shit is awesome!!

The Epidemic
05-29-08, 11:02 am
when do you think a person should start practice tanning? 3 months out?

B.C.
05-29-08, 12:19 pm

How long does it take that stuff to wear off if you get it wrong? I'm REALLY white...pasty even. I should think about tanning more. My wife says I should hit the tanning bed first. I think she's probably right...says the tanners will turn me really orange if I don't get a little base tan first.

BamBam
05-29-08, 8:55 pm

I don't "practice" tanning. I go to the tanning bed every other day to get as dark as possible. Then, the day before the show I get a spary tan to darken up even more. Then...when I get ready for my show that morning before pre-judging, I used Dream Tan and a paintbursh and went over my lines to make them seem deeper and darker, and dream tan is good because it has little glittery gold flakes in it to make you shine more.

When you use tanning product....Take some on a brush (usually the cheap ass ones with the black sponge heads and wood stick handles...dunno the name haha) and dap it directly on your "line" of sepereation and when you spread it out start at the line and go outward. Just go with the low of the muscle. Follows your big lines and then use an outward stroke with the little lines if definition and you can't go wrong. Just don't cake that shit on there....remember "A little goes a long way"

IN IRON,
BB

BamBam
05-29-08, 8:57 pm
How long does it take that stuff to wear off if you get it wrong? I'm REALLY white...pasty even. I should think about tanning more. My wife says I should hit the tanning bed first. I think she's probably right...says the tanners will turn me really orange if I don't get a little base tan first.

1.) Tanning bed first....spray tan second....tanning product for the stage last b4 u hit the stage
2.) The stage tanning products will either turn you orange or gold...yes.

Read my above post to get some more info on tanning. Also, posing is more important than tanning!

B.C.
05-29-08, 9:00 pm
1.) Tanning bed first....spray tan second....tanning product for the stage last b4 u hit the stage
2.) The stage tanning products will either turn you orange or gold...yes.

Read my above post to get some more info on tanning. Also, posing is more important than tanning!

Got it...thanks for the additions to the thread BamBam.

deanna7272
05-29-08, 9:03 pm
I haven't had the experience of painting myself (dream tan, pro tan, etc) but I tanned every few days before my show to get a good base and then I got sprayed. I had a friend do it the day before and then I got sprayed at the venue for a touch up... Can't beat it, not orange, and it's very even...

I know that for House's show I am ALMOST positive they are having the same company do it that did it for my show... It was like 30 bucks for first and 20 for touch ups, if you need it, not a bad deal and you're done, no 3 days ahead of time stuff...lol ((You make the appointment for the night before at the hotel and touch ups AT the venue the morning of)))...

B.C.
05-29-08, 9:10 pm
I don't "practice" tanning. I go to the tanning bed every other day to get as dark as possible. Then, the day before the show I get a spary tan to darken up even more. Then...when I get ready for my show that morning before pre-judging, I used Dream Tan and a paintbursh and went over my lines to make them seem deeper and darker, and dream tan is good because it has little glittery gold flakes in it to make you shine more.

When you use tanning product....Take some on a brush (usually the cheap ass ones with the black sponge heads and wood stick handles...dunno the name haha) and dap it directly on your "line" of sepereation and when you spread it out start at the line and go outward. Just go with the low of the muscle. Follows your big lines and then use an outward stroke with the little lines if definition and you can't go wrong. Just don't cake that shit on there....remember "A little goes a long way"

IN IRON,
BB

good post. I missed it before.

BamBam
05-29-08, 9:40 pm
good post. I missed it before.

No problem bro....as I said b4...Anything...I MEAN ANYTHING....you all need let me know!

WeeMan
05-30-08, 3:27 pm

IN IRON,
BB

good advice, thanks!

jhicks3301
06-08-08, 12:18 pm
Got my first week down of contest prep.. 18 more weeks to go till my first comp!

BamBam
06-08-08, 9:24 pm
Got my first week down of contest prep.. 18 more weeks to go till my first comp!

The road is long and arduous...the littlest things set out before you become the most important and the big things seem at times insurmountable...but always remember...You have a family and a brotherhood here...Never stop and just keep going. We r all here for you and if you need anything I am always here for you bro! Good luck with everything and stay Strong, STAY ANIMAL!

IN IRON,
BB

B Con
06-08-08, 10:00 pm
Great thread..subbed as I am still debating on doing a show...

I will be at the House's show... wishing all the Animals the best!

jhicks3301
06-08-08, 11:10 pm
The road is long and arduous...the littlest things set out before you become the most important and the big things seem at times insurmountable...but always remember...You have a family and a brotherhood here...Never stop and just keep going. We r all here for you and if you need anything I am always here for you bro! Good luck with everything and stay Strong, STAY ANIMAL!

IN IRON,
BB

Damn BB, Nice words man.. It's been interesting so far and I'm showing now signs of letting up

The Epidemic
06-09-08, 10:17 am
im been bulkin for over 2yrs and all i read about is bulking/mass.. i guess i have to learn about fat loss for a etco

McFly
06-09-08, 10:53 am
I'm 9 weeks out.....

anyone have any suggestions on software for mixing your own music?

jhicks3301
06-09-08, 2:04 pm
im been bulkin for over 2yrs and all i read about is bulking/mass.. i guess i have to learn about fat loss for a etco

I've got a diet that I follow in a PDF file if you want it.. Shoot me a pm and I can hook you up.. It's awesome

WeeMan
06-09-08, 3:47 pm
I'm 9 weeks out.....

anyone have any suggestions on software for mixing your own music?

got any fotos?

McFly
06-09-08, 3:56 pm
got any fotos?

i posted a few in my journey a week or two ago

HWRNHN
06-09-08, 5:38 pm
any comments?

im going to be in a natural contest on saturday, prejudge then nightshow. ive worked with a bodybuilder nutritionist and he has me on 50g of carbs per day for the past week, i needed to drop some fat quick. heres what my week is gonna look like...
mon (today)-cardio before breakfast, 50g carbs (oatmeal and brown rice, breakfast and lunch), 2 gals water
tuesday-cardio before breakfast, 50g carb, 1.5g water
wednesday-no cardio, 25 g carb (only oatmeal at breakfast), protan coat #1-no joints, no face, 1 gal water
thursday-25g carbs, protan coat #2, 1/2 gal water-begin diuretic
friday-no water, diuretic, begining at-one white baked potatoe (no skin) every 2 hours, fatty steak
saturday-one more white potatoe in morning

thanks

BamBam
06-09-08, 11:21 pm
Damn BB, Nice words man.. It's been interesting so far and I'm showing now signs of letting up

Good...don't ever stop...nothing that would want you to or try and cause you to stop is worth having....I have learned this the hard way bro...and trust me...your goals and your future r much more important. If ya need me...you know how to get at me! :)

IN IRON,
BB

Cutting is "easy" bro...just remember what HOUSE said.."When you want to bulk, eat more carbs, and when you want to cut, eat less!" :)

Plain and simple this is one of the biggest rules to remember. Plus, also remember, calories in vs calories out.

Anything else, hit me up!

IN IRON,
BB

The Epidemic
06-10-08, 9:49 am
Cutting is "easy" bro...just remember what HOUSE said.."When you want to bulk, eat more carbs, and when you want to cut, eat less!" :)

Plain and simple this is one of the biggest rules to remember. Plus, also remember, calories in vs calories out.

IN IRON,
BB
what u said sounds easy, but ihave heard a few things
1i cut ur water
2- no carbs
3 hi carb days, lo carb
4 low carb
5- something about eatting fats and cookies
6 bannanas

WeeMan
06-10-08, 12:51 pm
i posted a few in my journey a week or two ago

what page man i cant find it?

BamBam
06-10-08, 1:02 pm
what u said sounds easy, but ihave heard a few things
1i cut ur water
2- no carbs
3 hi carb days, lo carb
4 low carb
5- something about eatting fats and cookies
6 bannanas

O.k.-

1.) Only cut your water if you r going to do a show....but thats the LAST day of the diet b4 u ht the stage. When you r on a diet then you actually r supposed to drink between 1-2 gallons a day. Your bodily functions wether related to lifting or just the naturally occuring things in our lifes, need water...these functions r facilitated by water. Also, your muscles need H2O as welll my friend.
2.) If you want to do a no carb diet then shit, do what I do (as well as many many others) and try KETOSIS
3.) Hi carb days and low carb days are apart of the "carb cycle" routine...being some days you go high, then medium, then low, then zero, then back to medium, then high, then low, etc etc.
4.) Low carb again being used by itself I have never done...so I wont say anything about it cuz I dont want to give you any wrong info.
5.) Fats, YES! Your body needs your EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) and yes there r good fats as Ox has taught us...fish, Natural PB, nuts (almonds!), whole eggs. Cookies? Whoever told you to eat cookies while trying to cut is evidentally not serious about their "physique oriented" goals. If this someone was referring to a cheat meal, then yes, on a diet you do get cheat meals...ON OCCASION!, and should only be used when your bodies metabolism isnt respoinding anymore so you need to kick it into gear. And a "cheat" meal, isn't.."Holy shit, I get to eat ANYTHING I want..." so then you go get pizza and ice cream and some ding dongs...but rather take it serious and realize EVERYTHING we put into our bodies is relevant to our goals...So, a good cheat meal should be thus (or something like this) 90% good food, and 10% bad. Ex: my new cheat meal of choice is Sushi, large bowl of rice, and a candy bar for dessert (2 if I NEED it, not WANT)
6.) Bananas...hmm...well, yeah they r tasty and r good for potassium so we dont cramp as much, but if you r eating right and taking your supps and having plenty of H2O, then these will not be needed.

jhicks3301
06-10-08, 2:06 pm
If you guys need help with versions of keto just PM me.. I've got all kinds of links and pdf files

live2lift
06-10-08, 2:47 pm
Just came across this post today. Mad props to all of my brothas on here that are getting ready to step on that holy stage. I have only done one show and if all goes well with my wifeys pregnancy I plan on doing it up again this year. It is a long, hard road that we choose to walk down to step onto that stage as an example of what you can do if you just have the right dedication and mindset. This shit is not easy, I have always said since my show that it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. There were many a times that I wanted to stop and that is where having a support helps you out. For me it was my friend that has competed numerous times telling me to keep my foot on the gas and keep driving forward. You brothas have the support of every member of the legion here to help you and push you to make you the best you are. Like I said it is not easy, but anything worth achieving isn't. I am proud of all of you guys here and stand behind every one of you to rep the "A". Good luck to each and every one of you.

Peace

jhicks3301
06-10-08, 3:13 pm
Just came across this post today. Mad props to all of my brothas on here that are getting ready to step on that holy stage. I have only done one show and if all goes well with my wifeys pregnancy I plan on doing it up again this year. It is a long, hard road that we choose to walk down to step onto that stage as an example of what you can do if you just have the right dedication and mindset. This shit is not easy, I have always said since my show that it was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. There were many a times that I wanted to stop and that is where having a support helps you out. For me it was my friend that has competed numerous times telling me to keep my foot on the gas and keep driving forward. You brothas have the support of every member of the legion here to help you and push you to make you the best you are. Like I said it is not easy, but anything worth achieving isn't. I am proud of all of you guys here and stand behind every one of you to rep the "A". Good luck to each and every one of you.

Peace

Good words brother thanks

BamBam
06-10-08, 4:43 pm
If you guys need help with versions of keto just PM me.. I've got all kinds of links and pdf files

Shit, post em'. I can always use the expansion of my mind as well bro. Good lookin' out though man!

IN IRON,
BB

zanderfever
06-10-08, 11:18 pm
O.k.-

1.) Only cut your water if you r going to do a show....but thats the LAST day of the diet b4 u ht the stage. When you r on a diet then you actually r supposed to drink between 1-2 gallons a day. Your bodily functions wether related to lifting or just the naturally occuring things in our lifes, need water...these functions r facilitated by water. Also, your muscles need H2O as welll my friend.
2.) If you want to do a no carb diet then shit, do what I do (as well as many many others) and try KETOSIS
3.) Hi carb days and low carb days are apart of the "carb cycle" routine...being some days you go high, then medium, then low, then zero, then back to medium, then high, then low, etc etc.
4.) Low carb again being used by itself I have never done...so I wont say anything about it cuz I dont want to give you any wrong info.
5.) Fats, YES! Your body needs your EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) and yes there r good fats as Ox has taught us...fish, Natural PB, nuts (almonds!), whole eggs. Cookies? Whoever told you to eat cookies while trying to cut is evidentally not serious about their "physique oriented" goals. If this someone was referring to a cheat meal, then yes, on a diet you do get cheat meals...ON OCCASION!, and should only be used when your bodies metabolism isnt respoinding anymore so you need to kick it into gear. And a "cheat" meal, isn't.."Holy shit, I get to eat ANYTHING I want..." so then you go get pizza and ice cream and some ding dongs...but rather take it serious and realize EVERYTHING we put into our bodies is relevant to our goals...So, a good cheat meal should be thus (or something like this) 90% good food, and 10% bad. Ex: my new cheat meal of choice is Sushi, large bowl of rice, and a candy bar for dessert (2 if I NEED it, not WANT)
6.) Bananas...hmm...well, yeah they r tasty and r good for potassium so we dont cramp as much, but if you r eating right and taking your supps and having plenty of H2O, then these will not be needed.

Damn good info here, thanks BamBam

B.C.
06-11-08, 9:50 am
This one is critical. Yes, we all support each other here; but you need to have the support at home too. I would seriously advise all you married types out there to consult with your spouses first. Make them part of the DECISION PROCESS, not just spring the decision on them, and hope for the best. I learned this first hand. I made the decision to do the show, and basically told my wife I was doing it; and she rebelled, basically making it impossible for me to focus on the show like I needed to. Needless to say, I won't be doing this show. I'm looking at doing the same show next year though. I'm giving her another year to figure out that I am serious about this shit, and it ain't going away. I'm going to involve her more next time too, and hopefully she'll be a bit more supportive. Ugh, women.

blueIMlifter
06-11-08, 10:53 am
This one is critical. Yes, we all support each other here; but you need to have the support at home too. I would seriously advise all you married types out there to consult with your spouses first. Make them part of the DECISION PROCESS, not just spring the decision on them, and hope for the best. I learned this first hand. I made the decision to do the show, and basically told my wife I was doing it; and she rebelled, basically making it impossible for me to focus on the show like I needed to. Needless to say, I won't be doing this show. I'm looking at doing the same show next year though. I'm giving her another year to figure out that I am serious about this shit, and it ain't going away. I'm going to involve her more next time too, and hopefully she'll be a bit more supportive. Ugh, women.

use the extra year to add 10-15lbs of solid lean mass and then destroy the competition next year. stay on the grind bro.

The Epidemic
06-11-08, 11:17 am
BAM BAM- I meant people bad fats and cookies right before they hit the stage

Brutus_515
06-11-08, 11:32 am

Truer words never spoken

HAHA I feel your pain bro!...I decided to do my show right around november well My wife got pregnant and is due in july my first show is in september, my second and possibly 3rd is april and may....she was cool with it at first then I was kinda taking advantage of her kindness just going and with out telling her and just kinda putting alot of things off...after a few blow ups (i blame irrational hormonal changes due to being prego) i changed my schedual around and all is good...she doesnt mind my diet we just eat at differnet times and she goes out alot to eat so I dont see all that good red meat at home...but again I strongly agree just dont spout it out that you are starting contest prep in 2 weeks and it is the first time she hears about it...family first...then yourself then bodybuilding...it is a best cause if it is crazy at home and with no support it will be a negative refelction in your prep and training...I am sure I will have a hic-up or 2 in my prep when the baby comes but i "pray for peace and train for war" so to speak so i will hit it head on....

but all it good on my side my wife is real supportive except when i told he about lee priest getting back in the IFBB...she was like Fuck lee priest he isnt givin me a back rub tonight you are"...but then she calmed down when she knew i was excited and was brought it back up on her own "he was the short guy with the tattoos that was talking to us at the arnold expo...Thats good i hope he does well".there is a time and place to talk to your wife about it if she is not 100% into it and just tolerates it casue she knows it is your passion...

Best of luck with your training and dig deep and hit it hard keep your target on next year and keep the wife in the loop....

B.C.
06-11-08, 12:01 pm
use the extra year to add 10-15lbs of solid lean mass and then destroy the competition next year. stay on the grind bro.

Grindin' away..man if I could put on 15 more QUALITY pounds by then...I'd be happier than a termite in a baseball bat factory.

Rexor91
06-11-08, 1:58 pm
Awesome thread, I'm wanting to do a show at the end of this year I believe... possibly early next. But the one I really have my eye on is the NPC Battle on the River in Chattanooga, TN in June of '09. I really wanna get one under my belt before then though

jhicks3301
06-11-08, 3:08 pm
I'm glad that my girl supports what I do. She isn't big into it herself but she respects what I do and who I am.

Plus she likes the abs :D

I've emailed a few people my diet and if any of you want it just shoot me a PM here or over at bb.com

I've got some vids and progress pics in my log over there at bb.com..

Abs are starting to come out and I've still got 18 weeks!

BamBam
06-11-08, 4:02 pm
Damn good info here, thanks BamBam

Thanks bro...no problems!

BAM BAM- I meant people bad fats and cookies right before they hit the stage

Again, bad=bad....thats what you need to remember. I talked to blueIMlifter yesterday and told him my "SECRET WEAPON" I use b4 I step on stage. You should do what you do with a cheat meal b4 u hit stage. Higher carb intake, good food all around, and some sugars as well. Sugar helps get those veins full of blood and they expand making you look better.

IN IRON,
BB

BamBam
06-11-08, 4:04 pm
I'm glad that my girl supports what I do. She isn't big into it herself but she respects what I do and who I am.

Plus she likes the abs :D

I've emailed a few people my diet and if any of you want it just shoot me a PM here or over at bb.com

I've got some vids and progress pics in my log over there at bb.com..

Abs are starting to come out and I've still got 18 weeks!

Make sure you aren't losing too fast bro. If u KNOW u r losing fat then shit, stay the course, but if u start losing muscle...increase food intake.

IN IRON,
BB

jhicks3301
06-11-08, 4:24 pm
Make sure you aren't losing too fast bro. If u KNOW u r losing fat then shit, stay the course, but if u start losing muscle...increase food intake.

IN IRON,
BB

Oh hell dude i'm eating around 3200 cals a day.. I'm keeping my muscle mass but shredding the fat.. I've still a bit away

BamBam
06-11-08, 9:14 pm
Oh hell dude i'm eating around 3200 cals a day.. I'm keeping my muscle mass but shredding the fat.. I've still a bit away

Just making sure bro :). I got your back!

jhicks3301
06-12-08, 12:33 am
Just making sure bro :). I got your back!

seems like everyday I can see progress :D

jhicks3301
06-12-08, 12:37 am
From Ox himself

I asked him what advice he would give for a first timer on stage.. his response

1. Be very careful what advice you take and what advice you don't. Some people can really help you while others can't help themselves and can't help you either.

2. Develop a gameplan and stick to it. The only way to assess whether or not somehting is effective or not is to adhere to it 100%. If you falter from your plan then you did not follow THAT plan and you will never be able to say whether it worked or not.

3. Don't be afraid to listen to yourself. Also don't be close-minded.

4. Train the same way you train offseason. If you use smaller weights and train like a little girl then your body will adapt to small baby weights and you will look like a little girl. Use it or lose it.

5. Do your cardio/you're never as lean as you think you are. You may look like Mr. Olympia in the gym and look shredded to the bone. Being on stage is a whole other ball game. You're not ready until your ass is striated and you cannot pinch anyhting anywhere. Bodyfat calipers don't mean shit. Keep going. Rarely is anyone as lean as they think they are.

B.C.
06-12-08, 8:17 am
Good post jhicks, great advice from a true animal right there.

jhicks3301
06-12-08, 11:30 am
Good post jhicks, great advice from a true animal right there.

out of all the Bodybuilders he is my fav.. Even out of the big guns... He's going to be taking OVER! haha

jhicks3301
06-25-08, 12:57 pm
How is everyone's training and prep going?

WeeMan
06-25-08, 4:33 pm

iv not had money for any supplements for 4 or 5 weeks
buying a whole load at the weekend, gainer, casein, isco whey, and glutamine.

something iv noticed tho, is that training with a slight caloric intake has made me slightly leaner.

BamBam
06-25-08, 10:17 pm
Yo fellas, just seeing how everyone is doing! If ya need anything or whatever...hit me up!

MASS RESPECT...IN IRON,
BB

zanderfever
06-25-08, 10:23 pm

Yo fellas, just seeing how everyone is doing! If ya need anything or whatever...hit me up!

MASS RESPECT...IN IRON,
BB

Not to bad. Training is going well and the diet starts in 18 days. Can't wait, haha.

jhicks3301
06-25-08, 10:46 pm
Not to bad. Training is going well and the diet starts in 18 days. Can't wait, haha.

haha i feel ya man. I'm about four weeks in my diet... Everything is on track so far!

Jala_B
06-29-08, 10:29 pm
Hey there everyone...still alive, just haven't been around a comp lately. Okay, here are my updates:

As of yesterday, I am 16 weeks out from my show.

Since I last posted though, I have decieded to switch to bodybuilding instead of figure. I am doing the lightweight division. I am planning (unless it changes) to do my routine to Sweet Dreams..not sure if I am going to go with the Eurythmics or Marilyn Manson version. I am really excited!!

The guy who is helping me out was pretty happy. He really hoped I would do BBing, but never pushed it. I went to a show on 06/07/08 and realized that by the time I lean out for figure, I'll be lean enough to do just as well, if not better, in BBing. Plus, I already have the bulk muscle for it. So far my trainer pretty much just wants me to work on my hamstrings and my cutting. He is really pleased with all my definition otherwise.

Hope all is well with everyone!

jhicks3301
06-29-08, 10:46 pm
Hey there everyone...still alive, just haven't been around a comp lately. Okay, here are my updates:

As of yesterday, I am 16 weeks out from my show.

Since I last posted though, I have decieded to switch to bodybuilding instead of figure. I am doing the lightweight division. I am planning (unless it changes) to do my routine to Sweet Dreams..not sure if I am going to go with the Eurythmics or Marilyn Manson version. I am really excited!!

The guy who is helping me out was pretty happy. He really hoped I would do BBing, but never pushed it. I went to a show on 06/07/08 and realized that by the time I lean out for figure, I'll be lean enough to do just as well, if not better, in BBing. Plus, I already have the bulk muscle for it. So far my trainer pretty much just wants me to work on my hamstrings and my cutting. He is really pleased with all my definition otherwise.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Nice!!! I can't wait to see how things go for you. I'll be watching!

The Epidemic
07-11-08, 10:20 am
how do u know if you enter a show meaning,

i see tons of shows, jr nats, jr usa, usa, nats, states

im lost when it comes to this.

zanderfever
07-11-08, 8:55 pm

You pick a show, start the diet, when the time comes you officially enter the show and then you go on with the show.

B.C.
07-11-08, 11:29 pm

Since it's obviously your first show, just pick one with a novice division. You'll be on a pretty level playing field that way. Just pick a show close to you geographically, or at a time you want. Most of the time, you either apply for an app, or just sign up the morning of the show. You won't be able to do some NPC shows, based on level. Regional and National level shows have to be qualified for by winning shows on lower levels. Hope this is what you were looking for dude.

Jala_B
07-15-08, 9:17 pm
Here are a couple of updated pics of me...

These were taken 07/12/08 14 wks to show date. I am pretty happy with my progress... now I just need to work on cutting!

Leg Shot

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755243&ppuser=4060951

Front Bicep

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755233&ppuser=4060951

Back

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755223&cat=500&ppuser=4060951

Jala_B
07-16-08, 1:11 am
One more pic... 07/15/08

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2764153&ppuser=4060951

McFly
07-16-08, 7:19 am
well i'm 3.5 weeks out....posted pics from 4 weeks out in my journey.....shit's getting deep! I don't know about everyone else but the mental part of this is the hardest...the diet, training and cardio is cake....you just do it....but all the thoughts, worries and nervousness really fucks with my head at times......

Mr. Aestheticz
07-16-08, 10:01 am
well i'm 3.5 weeks out....posted pics from 4 weeks out in my journey.....shit's getting deep! I don't know about everyone else but the mental part of this is the hardest...the diet, training and cardio is cake....you just do it....but all the thoughts, worries and nervousness really fucks with my head at times......

Dude,

Let me tell you I am 9 weeks in and 9 weeks out form my first show, and the dieting, training, cardio, and supplementing (at times) is easy.

I am having the same problem, I am always THINKING, how I can improve this and that and how I should go about this and how I should go about that, or thinking if I am not doing neough or if I am doing too little

What supplement should I add or take away, I sit at my desk at work (like now) and always review, critique, touch, up, and overview my training and my approach.

Just stay focused, positive, and the GOAL at hand, i think the biggest thing that helps me is telling myself "I AM DOING MY BEST AND GIVING MY ALL" and it will all fall into place!

Good luck and don't worry!

Mr. Aestheticz
07-16-08, 10:09 am
i think carb cycling will be great for your first try. you will never know until you try it. i know it worked great for my first show

I am doing my first show and carb cycling is definitley a great way to replenish your body with carbs and glycogen and also helps with your dieting when you begin to cut calories because that one meal or those meals help you feel more full and less of an urge to eat/cheat at other times. So in other words you have something to look forward to.

I am 9 week in and 9 weeks out and I train on Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat, AM/PM Cardio on Thursdays, and Sundays completely off and have 7 small meals a day.

On Wednesdays and Saturdays on my last meal of the day (meal 7) I have my carb load meal, this works great for me.

Mr. Aestheticz
07-16-08, 10:20 am
My trainer and I have finally decided and come to agreement on what song I will be performing to for my 60 second routine!

It is a song by one of my favorite bands "Three Days Grace" and the name of the song is 'RIOT", if you have not heard it YOU HAVE TO HEAR IT.

We are coming up with a lot of great poses and transitions to perform to this song. I will be performing to the first 1:05 i believe (i will walk off at the end of he chorus basically).

Find the song listen to it and let me know what you think!?!?!?

BigAnt
07-16-08, 9:40 pm
Here are a couple of updated pics of me...

These were taken 07/12/08 14 wks to show date. I am pretty happy with my progress... now I just need to work on cutting!

Leg Shot

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755243&ppuser=4060951

Front Bicep

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755233&ppuser=4060951

Back

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=2755223&cat=500&ppuser=4060951
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAMN!

Arms, shoulders, back and legs like that--FEELING SORRY FOR THE OTHERS IN YOUR CLASS!

Mr. Aestheticz
07-17-08, 2:36 pm
These pics are of my I am 6 weeks into my training and 12 weeks out.

http://a271.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_060f3eefe185910148b8bea67a459106.jpg

http://a134.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/l_e5c36d59d95bf8c71f1be77e10f80c85.jpg

http://a68.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_860dbe87dec366ea275dc2dd0ff10a5b.jpg

I am taking more pics this weekend, I will be 10 weeks in 8 weeks out.

BigAnt
07-17-08, 4:33 pm
These pics are of my I am 6 weeks into my training and 12 weeks out.

http://a271.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_060f3eefe185910148b8bea67a459106.jpg

http://a134.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/l_e5c36d59d95bf8c71f1be77e10f80c85.jpg

http://a68.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_860dbe87dec366ea275dc2dd0ff10a5b.jpg

I am taking more pics this weekend, I will be 10 weeks in 8 weeks out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTSTANDING!

Shave the hair, drop your water and your stage ready now!

STAY STRONG---MIND&BODY!

Mr. Aestheticz
07-17-08, 4:34 pm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUTSTANDING!

STAY STRONG---MIND&BODY!

HUNGRY FOR THAT OCB TITLE!!!!!!

The Epidemic
07-18-08, 1:03 pm
whats ur myspace link Mr Mr. Aestheticz

Mr. Aestheticz
07-18-08, 1:53 pm
whats ur myspace link Mr Mr. Aestheticz

I just sent you a request!

Jala_B
07-20-08, 6:50 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAMN!

Arms, shoulders, back and legs like that--FEELING SORRY FOR THE OTHERS IN YOUR CLASS!

THANK YOU.... I really appreciate that!!

Jala_B
07-20-08, 6:50 pm

OUTSTANDING!

STAY STRONG---MIND&BODY!

I'd second that....you look amazing!!

B.C.
07-20-08, 8:55 pm
I'd second that....you look amazing!!

Both of you do! You guys are going to take the stage, and take your classes by storm! Good luck to both of you guys...TRUE ANIMALS.

Jala_B
07-20-08, 9:04 pm
Thank you B.C!!!

Jala_B
07-20-08, 9:48 pm
Could I become your myspace friend too Mr. Aestheticz? Thanks!

Mr. Aestheticz
07-21-08, 8:11 am
Both of you do! You guys are going to take the stage, and take your classes by storm! Good luck to both of you guys...TRUE ANIMALS.

Thanks for the compliment, it is greatly appreciated, I will be taking more progress pics soon so if everyone wants I will post down the road and keep everyone in the loop!

Good looks once again!

Mr. Aestheticz
07-21-08, 8:11 am
Could I become your myspace friend too Mr. Aestheticz? Thanks!

Just sent you a request!

B.C.
07-21-08, 8:07 pm
Thank you B.C!!!

Thanks for the compliment, it is greatly appreciated, I will be taking more progress pics soon so if everyone wants I will post down the road and keep everyone in the loop!

Good looks once again!

You guys deserve every compliment you get. Keep it going strong...all the way to D-Day!

stolzenator
07-26-08, 4:31 pm
whats up everyone. wanted to get in on this thread. i havent competed yet, and dont have a scheduled event yet, but i wanna get on stage sometime within a year! i'm from columbus, OH, does anyone know any events 6-12 months from now in that area? (no, i'm not talking about the arnold haha!)

Mr. Aestheticz
07-27-08, 10:39 am
whats up everyone. wanted to get in on this thread. i havent competed yet, and dont have a scheduled event yet, but i wanna get on stage sometime within a year! i'm from columbus, OH, does anyone know any events 6-12 months from now in that area? (no, i'm not talking about the arnold haha!)

Welcome and good luck, you can try checking out the OCB website for upcoming shows if you would like tom compete through OCB.

You can check their website "www.TheOCBWebsite.com".

This is the organization that I am going through for my first show, hear dit is a great organization to use for startes/beginners!

Good Luck!

......EASY!!!

stolzenator
07-27-08, 11:10 am
Welcome and good luck, you can try checking out the OCB website for upcoming shows if you would like tom compete through OCB.

You can check their website "www.TheOCBWebsite.com".

This is the organization that I am going through for my first show, hear dit is a great organization to use for startes/beginners!

Good Luck!

......EASY!!!

thanks man, im gunna have to look into that! someone on bb.com also gave me a link to a NPC event in KY, how do people feel about NPC? in general, i dont know much about the different orgs. i'm doin this completely natty, as in the most hardcore supp im takin is storm, so id like to compete against as few juicers as possible

barbender18
08-03-08, 3:18 am
i'm going for my first show in june next year? i dont know what to expect. did most of you guys find someone to help you for your first shows or did you wing it?

The Epidemic
08-03-08, 7:40 am
1-Victor Martinez Perth Amboy Bodybuilding & Figure ChampionshipsVictor Martinez Perth Amboy Bodybuilding & Figure Championships...10/12/08

2-October 25th East Coast

3-November 1st Golds Classic

4-November 8th NJ State Championship

how can i peak 4 times in 30days?

Jala_B
09-03-08, 1:32 am
I posted this in the MN Animals thread, but thought it should go here as well....

Okay guys, brief update...

I am just over 6 !/2 weeks out from my bodybuilding competition. Training is going well, working on getting that bodyfat burnt off!! 1200 cal/day diet, 20-40-40 split. Getting creative with my foods....

My show is in Elk River (MN) at the high school. Date is Sat, October 18th. Pre-Judging starts at 10:00 A.M, tkts for this portion are $7. The finals are at 6:30 P.M, tkts for the finals are $15.

Hope everyone is good!!

Take care!!

(I have updated pics on my Bodyspace link too)

Jala_B
09-14-08, 2:45 pm
A bunch new pics on my bodyspace. Pics are of most of the poses for the judging. Let me know what you think! I am down to just a hair under 114 and am 16.1% BF. Working on cutting more, and the tan!

Mr. Aestheticz
09-17-08, 12:09 pm
Well for my first show I didn't do too bad lol!

Check it out!

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=20694

...EASY!!!

cviewmike851
10-15-08, 12:28 am
here I go... Ill be in the age 24 and under novice division at the Ohio Natural Bodybuilding Federations Mr. and Ms. Natural. Im pretty far out but I thought I should start making the preperations and getting psyched. Im so nervous... any ohio brothers out there around Cleveland?

B.C.
10-15-08, 11:36 am
here I go... Ill be in the age 24 and under novice division at the Ohio Natural Bodybuilding Federations Mr. and Ms. Natural. Im pretty far out but I thought I should start making the preperations and getting psyched. Im so nervous... any ohio brothers out there around Cleveland?

Another Ohio Animal. Welcome! When is your show? I'm from Ohio, but the USAF has kept me in South Dakota for what seems like an eternity.

cviewmike851
10-15-08, 2:48 pm
my show isnt for another 5 months but im starting my preperations now. im pretty excited about it. yea my best friend has been stationed over in Germany for the last couple years hes in the air force too. good luck how much time you got left in the service?

B.C.
10-15-08, 2:59 pm
my show isnt for another 5 months but im starting my preperations now. im pretty excited about it. yea my best friend has been stationed over in Germany for the last couple years hes in the air force too. good luck how much time you got left in the service?

9 years and some change...just over half way now.

cviewmike851
10-15-08, 5:54 pm
damn man... good luck bro your a better person than I am

Jala_B
10-22-08, 12:36 am
Saturday was a learning experience. I placed 3 out of 3.

Nerves hit me REALLY bad on stage because I found out 10 minutes before I went on that I was doing my side 1/4 turns incorrectly, AND there were 2 poses that I basically knew nothing about.

I started shaking on stage badly enough that my hubby and best friend from high school who were there both were afraid I was going to pass out. Not exactly my proudest moments up there.

I got my judges comments and basically had 3 main comments
1. Had good shape but should have been a bit leaner.

2. Should've had more color to me.

3. Relax, Smile, and just Have Fun.

My night show went really well though. My routine went almost perfect except for one flub, I hit all my cues though. I had a fair amount of cheers for it, so that was nice.

Looking forward to my next show!! Perhaps in May, maybe just the same show next October.
We'll have to see :)

I have a few pics uploaded to MySpace....check them out.

zanderfever
10-22-08, 5:36 pm
Congrats on competing. Don't worry about the placing it was your first competition. Good luck in May you should kill it now that you've had some experience.

stolzenator
10-31-08, 6:34 pm
My first show! NPC Natural Ohio in Lakewood, OH. Will be a good time!

Brutus_515
10-31-08, 6:36 pm
My first show! NPC Natural Ohio in Lakewood, OH. Will be a good time!

cool man good luck that is always a good show

Rexor91
10-31-08, 8:09 pm
Had a few power meets planned for this year, and my 1st bb show..... but I'm so damn far from that now it's not even funny. It's gonna be even worse come may or so after Ranger school. Good luck to all you guys!!

Brutus_515
10-31-08, 8:11 pm
Had a few power meets planned for this year, and my 1st bb show..... but I'm so damn far from that now it's not even funny. It's gonna be even worse come may or so after Ranger school. Good luck to all you guys!!

hey bro your time will come...do your thang

Factory
11-24-08, 9:08 pm
I've got a question.. How did you guys find out about your first show, I've been looking online, asking around to people I know, and I can't find any shows that aren't like.. the olympia or something.. Any advice or help is much appreciated.

stolzenator
03-15-09, 3:13 pm
here we go, 1 week out today!

aeon
09-10-09, 3:41 am
9 days out from my first show!

Wellington Champs, New Zealand

Looking forward to getting up there for sure

Brutus_515
09-10-09, 8:20 am
good luck man... my first show was a year ago...if there is any advice i can give...

STAY OFF YOUR FEET the night before...I was all pumped up and excited the day before at weigh ins i probably walked over 5 miles in venue it may have been my nerves but i was told numerous times to go lay down by the promoter and his wife. Also bring extra food if you think you have enough bring more anyhow to fill out!

deanna7272
09-10-09, 8:29 am
good luck man... my first show was a year ago...if there is any advice i can give...

STAY OFF YOUR FEET the night before...I was all pumped up and excited the day before at weigh ins i probably walked over 5 miles in venue it may have been my nerves but i was told numerous times to go lay down by the promoter and his wife. Also bring extra food if you think you have enough bring more anyhow to fill out!

I made that same mistake too Shaffer...lol We should have listened... I am resting the next 2 days.... And NO late night trips to WALMART..lol See ya Saturday!

AEON... Good luck!!! Let us know how it goes!!!

aeon
09-11-09, 4:18 am
Thanks a lot Shaf and De, some sound advice too cheers!

aeon
09-23-09, 1:25 am
Well after a few days reflection from my first crack on stage:

1. Posing - need to pop lats out more, they did a dissapearing act on stage.And be more relaxed.
2. Need more thickness everywhere!
3. Was nice and lean though i thought
4. Enjoyed every second of it, learned A LOT from experienced guys and by not placing. Only make me hungrier for next time.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/macca707/classicsidetri2.jpg

hope that pic works, far right there in that shot.

That was mens classic open division. Thanks for the support !

Aeon.

deanna7272
09-27-09, 6:13 pm
Well after a few days reflection from my first crack on stage:

1. Posing - need to pop lats out more, they did a dissapearing act on stage.And be more relaxed.
2. Need more thickness everywhere!
3. Was nice and lean though i thought
4. Enjoyed every second of it, learned A LOT from experienced guys and by not placing. Only make me hungrier for next time.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/macca707/classicsidetri2.jpg

hope that pic works, far right there in that shot.

That was mens classic open division. Thanks for the support !

Aeon.

GREAT JOB!!! Pic looks great also.... Remember each show is a learning experience and from what it seems, you've figured that out... So glad to hear that you are planning on another, it happens like that!!!