PDA

View Full Version : Do you weigh your food or count calories...??

Hotmail
04-14-08, 10:35 pm
I am trying to gain size and possibly do a show in the future. I read a lot about counting all your calories and making sure you keep it at a certain range. But i have also been told to weigh all my food by grams, and that this is easier then couting calories.... Does anyone suggest anything? or am i going about this all wrong?

ct italian 1
04-15-08, 8:04 am
If you are dieting for a show, you must measure/weigh all of your food & count cals as a rule. Some guys do not, but they tend to be the ones with lots of experience under their belt and know exactly what their body needs. Personally, I measure/weigh & count EVERYTHING. Off season, you can generally be more laid back with your approach and "guesstimate" totals. Eat big to get big, eat clean to get lean.

sanga
04-15-08, 8:30 am
Weigh and count exactly!

krazyassmexican
04-15-08, 8:32 am
i never count calories no matter if i am dieting or bulkin
i just count the grams of protein/carbs/fat i am puttin in my mouth a day

ct italian 1
04-15-08, 8:38 am
i never count calories no matter if i am dieting or bulkin
i just count the grams of protein/carbs/fat i am puttin in my mouth a day

That's theoretically counting...
and he asked about dieting for a show. That's much more regimented than cutting for the hell of it.

JMC
04-15-08, 8:40 am
I would also say weigh your food. Conversion from there is easy. 4 cals=1g protein & 1g carbs; 9 cals=1g fat. You can also work your ratios from there also and it will be easier to make adjustments knowing what your taking in and what needs to be changed... by weights that is.

CT makes a good point... my recommendations are what I would do, not necessarilly the best option for competition dieting.

ct italian 1
04-15-08, 8:43 am
I would also say weigh your food. Conversion from there is easy. 4 cals=1g protein & 1g carbs; 9 cals=1g fat. You can also work your ratios from there also and it will be easier to make adjustments knowing what your taking in and what needs to be changed... by weights that is.

CT makes a good point... my recommendations are what I would do, no necessarilly the best option for competing.

ya, counting is easy if you know how much food you're taking in. You can't count without weighing/measuring lol.

Enforcer
04-15-08, 8:44 am
Count/ measure whatveer the fuck u need to do in order to get the right amount of food into ur body

On Letting Go
09-18-09, 6:16 pm
I count calories. There are some days that i just dont feel like doing it, where i think that it would be so much simpler to just eat by instinct. But i have pretty big appetite, so i worry about putting on too much fat. Counting calories gives me that feeling of complete control, ensuring me that im always moving in the right direction with my cut or bulk.

I've considered counting calories only while cutting and eating by instinct while bulking, but ive never actually gone through with it.

Just curious as to how you guys manage your diets.

OnLettingGo

pmug0000
09-18-09, 6:29 pm
I don't count calories per se, but I am fairly strict about how much and what kinds of foods I eat. I pay more attention to keeping my carbs/protein/fats in a certain range every meal rather than actually counting the calories, but since I do have a very good idea of my macros I could calculate my calories easily

C.Coronato
09-21-09, 9:12 am
I know exactly what my counts are while dieting for a show. Its very important as you need to know where you can lower if your fat loss is at a stand still, you also are usually on a certain diet that is pretty much the same for 12+ weeks, so you count it once and then its done ..

As far as bulking, i did not count. I knew how much protein i had at a meal, and that was it. I ensured enough of that through the day, from there i would have my 6 meals. Making sure one was a Real Gains shake with milk and oatmeal, i knew i would keep my cals up. If i started slowing down I added more nuts an extra ounce of protein, ect.

Beach91
09-21-09, 10:05 am
Hi all,

I measure and count everything. When dieting for a show, i am meticulous and make adjustments weekly, obviously if i am losing a lb to 2lb per week, i stay the course, if my metabolism slows, i adjust cardio and the amt. i am eating, if i am lossing more than 2 lbs, then its christmas, and i add a little more food back into my regimen.

Off season, I will have 2-3 cheat meals a week were i dont count anything, but for the rest of the week i have everything figured out in spreadsheets, and actually measure and weigh everything, and check my weight/the mirror to ensure the gains are positive. Offseason i look to bulk and gain slowly so 1lb or 2 a week or every 2-3 weeks is what i look for, slow n steady, to limit fat, as well, i keep a log of poundages on my bigger lifts, if my bodyweight and the maxs on my bigger lifts arent going up, i increase clean foods throughout my several daily meals.

my 2 pennies
beach