PDA

View Full Version : Lagging Biceps

wedge
02-01-07, 6:27 pm
Sup brothers. I need a little help, if any of you have the time. I apparently have hit a plateau with my biceps. I've been pushing them, but they haven't really grown over the last few months. Here's my current workout, I do back and Bi's separately, hoping to get more time to work on the bicep.
preacher curl 3 x 6-8
concentration curl 3 x 6-8
hammer curls 3 x 6-8
I often include "running the rack" starting with 50lbs x 6 and doing 6 reps for each weight moving down the rack.
Any suggestions or ideas to help me kick my bi's into overdrive?

speedster00
02-01-07, 6:36 pm
Not trying to step on your toes bro, but this topic has been discussed a few times recently. use the search button.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1682

wedge
02-01-07, 6:51 pm
My bad. Never crossed my mind to look for a search bar for some reason.

IronLeague
02-01-07, 9:45 pm
Size is your problem? Problem solved bro, 4 sets of HEAVY ASS FUCKIN BARBELL CURLS.. After those, throw in some preacher, and some standing dumbell curls.

Respect,
IronLeague

tuffnuts
02-02-07, 1:39 am
The one thing i see missing in that routine is the best mass builder of all---heavy barbell curls. Make sure you're warm, load up the bar and hit it hard for 3 or 4 sets. Then get on the preacher and feel that squeeze. Also mix it up. Some days work heavy preacher and lighter barbell..just keep the muscles guessing. As long as the intensity stays high, then you're fine.

hjayss
02-02-07, 3:19 am
Man try about three sets bro close grip man real slow feel the burn. Also try to lower the weight and focus in on that bicep and use a grip where your wrist faces outward real slow low weight that way you are not focusing on that forearm you force that bi to hold te weight.

RoJoHen
02-02-07, 4:11 am
Heavy straight barbell curls. You'll be surprised how well they work.

Angst
02-02-07, 12:50 pm
Along with barbell curls, also try alternate hammer curls across your body. I do hammers for every bicep workout. Also if you do "running the rack" too often you might overtrain the bis, maybe once in a month should be good IMO

gsb239
02-02-07, 1:13 pm
Have you played with your rep ranges? My bis respond better to higher reps, say 8-15. Also, switch up your exercises week in and week out, keep them guessing.

Mr.Totality
02-02-07, 5:26 pm
First piece of advice- barbell curls as heavy as you can go and even a few "cheat" reps. That should boost them a bit

2nd piece- work with amount of sets and reps. For me, my bi's are slow growers, so I hit 20+ sets each time I work them just to get a great pump. Frustrating, but necessary

mfitz116
08-25-09, 11:26 am
Hey all, been hitting the biceps with a bit more focus lately as they have been lagging. The size has definately been coming along, but ive noticed that it seems the outer portion is not keeping up. Im wondering what excersizes will emphasize the outer portions more. I know that you cant get a single specific part of the msucle to grow...but im just wondering if im missing a lift, or maybe some little tweek of the hand placement will allow me to feel a stronger burn on the outer portion. Any help? Anyone else experience this same or similar situation?

t_mh
08-25-09, 12:06 pm
I've been told that close grip curls emphasize the outer part. I don't know if that's just a myth though.

mfitz116
08-25-09, 12:28 pm
Ya know...for some reason I seem to remember hearing that some place too. Ill definately give it a shot to see what happens. Thanks.

theharjmann
08-25-09, 4:18 pm
Hey all, been hitting the biceps with a bit more focus lately as they have been lagging. The size has definately been coming along, but ive noticed that it seems the outer portion is not keeping up. Im wondering what excersizes will emphasize the outer portions more. I know that you cant get a single specific part of the msucle to grow...but im just wondering if im missing a lift, or maybe some little tweek of the hand placement will allow me to feel a stronger burn on the outer portion. Any help? Anyone else experience this same or similar situation?

so many people say that...."my outer part is lagging"

how the hell can you tell unless you are 3% bodyfat ripped?!?!?!

just train biceps with free weights and train them hard

give it one year

and they will be big!

peace

BubbyLight
08-25-09, 5:49 pm
so many people say that...."my outer part is lagging"

how the hell can you tell unless you are 3% bodyfat ripped?!?!?!

just train biceps with free weights and train them hard

give it one year

and they will be big!

peace

amen brother

Ironjaw
08-25-09, 5:52 pm
it could be a genetix thing .... truthfully i had no idea there was such a thing... i think you should go look at the myths about biceps under the training section by vinny ... it might give u a lil food for thought...

Glory
08-25-09, 7:58 pm
Close-grip EZ Bar Curls do help a lot, I find.

Big Wides
08-25-09, 10:00 pm
Deadlift heavy, row heavy, do pull ups and heavy barbell curls. Its a simple way to add size to your bis. Also squatting heavy makes them big, and if your wondering how have a lot of weight on your back and hold onto the bar for dear life so that it doesn't slip off.

Also don't be afraid to do heavy weight in the 1-5 rep range as well for bis

Survivor831
08-26-09, 1:10 am
Try Hammer curls and Rev. Curls. Gives you a nice 3-D effect.

sideburnz
08-26-09, 5:19 am
Close grip curls & close grip Rev.curls do help alot.. But if you need more info, check out this link, it has almost everything you need to know about biceps. Very detailed. I learnt alot from Milos Sarcev.

http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/6572/the-fit-show-season-three-episode-32-milos-sarcevs-bicep-training-tips

violator
08-26-09, 6:15 am
Deadlift heavy, row heavy, do pull ups and heavy barbell curls. Its a simple way to add size to your bis. Also squatting heavy makes them big...

quality...gotta love it....

PureRawPower
08-26-09, 3:09 pm
I like to hit biceps and when I do I try to hit them from all different perspectives. I like to do heavy straight bar curls starting with 135 and working up to around 250 staying with lower reps. Then I like to hit preacher curls with a cambered bar and get a good full stretch. I follow this up with some sort of drop set or 7-7-7 curls.

As far as what I would recommend I feel that of all the biceps curls you should get the best return and growth from Any variation of Preacher Curls. Done strictly and utilizing a full range of motion I find these to be the best results producer.

Also give a try to incline dumbbell curls. These are harder to do because done properly there is no cheating, and a lot of biceps recruitment.

Good luck

Firefist
08-26-09, 3:27 pm
I like to do heavy straight bar curls starting with 135 and working up to around 250 staying with lower reps.

bonafide badass.

PureRawPower
08-26-09, 6:28 pm
As far as building bulk for biceps the straight bar curls are king. (i.e.: A 45 lb bar)

I also agree with the advice that Big Wides gave about doing the proper heavy power moves to build not just biceps size but over all size. Deadlifts, Bent Over Rows, etc will help with getting thicker.

t_mh
08-27-09, 1:19 am
I like to do heavy straight bar curls starting with 135 and working up to around 250 staying with lower reps.

Hahah you must scare children. That's so sweet.