PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Training & Cardio

LiftBig315
04-24-08, 9:07 pm
So I have been lacking in the Cardio dept. which isn't exactly speeding up the fat loss.

Would HIIT on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Mornings be a good idea? Or too much.

currently 5'10" 225 around 20% bodyfat.

Also, should I do it on an empty stomach? Pop a Nitro Pack? or have a protein shake?

wsuiron
04-24-08, 10:42 pm
i have heard that HIIT isnt the way to go if you want to retain as much mass as possible. However if loosing fat is your number one goal, go ahead. The best time for it would be first thing in the morning with some BCAAs or EAAs and/or right after training.

LHS Monster
04-24-08, 10:47 pm
i used HIIT last summer and its phenominal esp. with low intensity cardio sprinkled in BUT... the kicker is doing HIIT after leg day is a BITCH hence why i added a day of low intensity it may not sound bad now but just you wait once leg days rolls around and you trying running the next day you will be back here in tears.... or at least i was

LiftBig315
04-24-08, 10:57 pm
That's funny cause today was legs, and we went pretty heavy...I am gonna try some HIIT in the morning, guessing I won't make it too long, but I am gonna give it a shot...gotta start somewhere. I will probably be puking, seems like the thing my body likes to do when I start in on cardio. At least that is what would happen in Football.

simpleguy
04-25-08, 12:31 am
bro, hiit works wonders in boosting your metabolism, but I wouldn't do it every cardio sessions...

switch things up

so let's say you do cardio 3x a week right? what I'd do is - one session HIIT, one session 30-45 minutes moderate to high intensity cardio (in 'the fat burning zone', 65% to 85% of your mhr)

then on the last session maybe just some moderate intensity cardio should be fine, or opt for one of the two above... just don't do the same type of cardio every time

p.s. make sure you get enough protein/cals in, or you'll risk loosing muscle

and a pack of nitro or some eaa stack would be good pre or during your cardio sessions

good luck

Fearless Rabbit
06-13-10, 6:27 am
I think about switching my cardio from longer, lower intensity routine, to HIIT. What I do now is 8km running (twice a week), with small break on half the distance. 4km in 21-22mins, and than 4km in 18-19mins back. It really tires me a lot, but I don`t give a shit about that. What I want to is to burn fat, and if being tired is all about burning fat, make it be.

However, as with weights training, I like to switch things up every now and than. Here`s the thing I`m wondering about..

HIIT is supposed to burn more calories in same amount to time invested, compared to regular low-intensity cardio, right? Now, I know high intensity workouts in general (weights, sprints etc) use carbs as primary energy source; low intensity uses stored body fat. So, isn`t low-intensity still better, even if fewer carolies are burned, but are burned from fat?

I like being efficient, and don`t wanna bust my ass sprinting around if it`s not gonna burn my stored body fat. What do you guys think?

Joe J
06-13-10, 6:55 pm
I'm really no expert but I think it has something to do with muscle fibre twitches. I have been lead to believe that low intensity cardio is better for bodybuilders as it uses slow twitches which retain the optimum amount of muscle whereas high intensity, as it uses carbs, will take those carbs away from your muscle building.

charlievanriper
06-13-10, 7:04 pm
I'm really no expert but I think it has something to do with muscle fibre twitches. I have been lead to believe that low intensity cardio is better for bodybuilders as it uses slow twitches which retain the optimum amount of muscle whereas high intensity, as it uses carbs, will take those carbs away from your muscle building.

Low volume works better for me, HIIT always seems to turn me into a Zombie ( and thats not the most optimum place to be if you want to maintain Muscle)

korinek00
06-13-10, 8:20 pm
Longer, low intensity workouts will burn most of the calories from fat.

High intensity workouts will burn most of the energy from carbohydrates, however, also burning more overall calories per time invested.

I think low intensity, longer cardio is the better option, in my opinion.

C.Coronato
06-14-10, 10:08 am
I used to do low volume. But i kicked it up this season for my show this past weekend. I was the leanest and biggest i have ever been.

60 mins in the AM walking at 3.5 speed on a 6.0 incline.

Then 20 mins HIIT after training.

Best way to find out, IF it works for you .. Simply try it for a week or so.

Mindaugas
06-14-10, 5:34 pm
HIIT is also less catabolic than low intensity/high duration cardio.

Fearless Rabbit
06-14-10, 7:46 pm
I used to do low volume. But i kicked it up this season for my show this past weekend. I was the leanest and biggest i have ever been.

60 mins in the AM walking at 3.5 speed on a 6.0 incline.

Then 20 mins HIIT after training.

Best way to find out, IF it works for you .. Simply try it for a week or so.

I`ve been thinking about trying HIIT after reading your journal, actually ;) But lets keep it straight - you had timelines to match. Is HIIT something you would suggest for non-competing athletes, trying to keep as much hard earned muscle as possible?

Thx for replying everyone.

C.Coronato
06-15-10, 8:54 am
I`ve been thinking about trying HIIT after reading your journal, actually ;) But lets keep it straight - you had timelines to match. Is HIIT something you would suggest for non-competing athletes, trying to keep as much hard earned muscle as possible?

Thx for replying everyone.

Well, i am bigger, stronger, and leaner than i ever have been before. So yes, regardless of a time constraint or not, i would suggest it as it works very well.

Funky
06-15-10, 8:59 am
HIIT actually retains way more muscle mass then killing a low intensity for long intervals over an hour. When mixed with some low intensity it turns you into a fat burning furnace. TTL or now C. Coranato was using it for his contest prep and stepped on stage a champion and left with the win!! Everytime I have ever used HIIT I have burned more fat faster than when I ran for 2 hours straight daily. I like to mix it up and go for 3 days HIIT 3 days low intensity. I never do any cardio on Leg day. Everyone is different try different things see what works for you then do it til you get the exact result you want!!

charlievanriper
06-15-10, 9:53 am
Well, i am bigger, stronger, and leaner than i ever have been before. So yes, regardless of a time constraint or not, i would suggest it as it works very well.

The only thing I will add for those doing KETOGENIC DIETS for Cutting dont do HIIT. It will cause your Cortisol levels to increase and you will find yourself falling out of ketosis.

Littlefry
06-15-10, 11:52 am
Personally Id do a bit of both, that way your keeping your body guessing and getting the benifit of both HIT and LISS. I would do HIT 2x a week, and LISS 2x a week.

charlievanriper
06-15-10, 1:42 pm
Personally Id do a bit of both, that way your keeping your body guessing and getting the benifit of both HIT and LISS. I would do HIT 2x a week, and LISS 2x a week.

Are you saying while in Keto or out, I will agree if out of Keto but not in Keto. Palumbo, Duchaine the 2 biggest in KETOGENIC research for bodybuilding are totally against High intese Cardio during Keto. In fact they say keep your Cardio under 30 low volume, 60% of max HR. I find my Hour works fantastic and I still stay borderline KETO. Wensday, Thursday and Friday I cut down to 2 20 minute sessions only as then I am inr=to a solid Ketogenic state.

When I was doing HIIT and Light Jogging my weight would go down as well as Bodyfat, Now on Keto my weight stays the same and my Bodyfat melts like Butter ( today 9.7 % down from 15.6 4 weeks ago)

I will continue to do what burns only Fat and nothing Else YIPPEE SKIPPY, if it aint broke dont try to fix it!!!!!!!!