PDA

View Full Version : Too much tuna?

BigTruck
02-02-07, 5:09 am
Fellas -- does anyone think you can eat to much tuna? Tuna is a staple of nearly everyone in this forums diet. I was checking out an FDA recommendation to have no more than 2 cans a week!! Does anyone cycle tuna like a supplement?

Toni69
02-02-07, 5:29 am
Fellas -- does anyone think you can eat to much tuna? Tuna is a staple of nearly everyone in this forums diet. I was checking out an FDA recommendation to have no more than 2 cans a week!! Does anyone cycle tuna like a supplement?

I think FDA is "FOR 'DA AVERAGE" person..we are a far cry from average bro!

The only time I back off from eating tuna is purely when I just had enough and can't stand the smell anymore. I put some tuna recipies on the recipie thread here if you want to try something different with your tuna.

PlacentiaBay
02-02-07, 7:40 am
not me on average in a week i atleast have 1 can a day

J-Dawg
02-02-07, 10:07 am
2 cans a day here... sometimes I cycle off on the weekends, but you'll find me having 2 cans a day at least 5 days a week.

serban
02-02-07, 10:45 am
I usually get in about 3-4 cans a day. I mix it with vinegar and it keeps me "in the game".

gsb239
02-02-07, 12:50 pm
1-2 cans a day is fine, personally I wouldn't eat more unless I was totally out of food. I'm a big believer in giving your body some variety just to make sure you're getting a range of vitamins and minerals from the food you eat.

Lud14
08-21-08, 12:45 pm
I have heard that you shouldn’t eat too much tuna because of the mercury in it. Well tuna is easy to bring, easy to eat and I eat a lot of it.

I want to know how much tuna is too much based on hearing about mercury being in it?

Also what is a good substitute that is easy to eat strait like tuna?

mritter3
08-21-08, 1:59 pm
i go through 4-5 cans a week, my wife is a dietician she would definitely say something if it were harmful to my health.

Android
08-21-08, 2:20 pm
I wouldn't worry brother, i eat 2 cans a day 7 days a week, thats 14 cans each week.

Gunz1
08-21-08, 2:41 pm
yea man i dont buy all that mercury bullshit i down prob around 6-8 cans a week.. nothing crazy.. just a quick and easy meal.. cheap too... beef and chicken can get pretty damn expensive...

Lud14
08-21-08, 2:49 pm
Thanks guys that is what i thought. Just like i am going to get cancer from everything i do. Well just like all of you i will keep eating tons of it.

getbiggest
08-21-08, 3:39 pm
i eat 12 cans daily

thatdude111
08-21-08, 3:47 pm
I eat 5-7 cans a week no mercury poison yet

DASO
08-21-08, 3:50 pm
never tried it and never will. Well I tried it once by accident and never again so one bite lol. Just cant stand to look at the shit.

mustgetbig
08-21-08, 10:17 pm
ive gone as high as 20cans per day gotta do what you gotta do on a budget

Pizzalamp
08-21-08, 10:24 pm
ive gone as high as 20cans per day gotta do what you gotta do on a budget

that is no need for that at all
totally uncalled for

mustgetbig
08-21-08, 10:29 pm
that is no need for that at all
totally uncalled for

it was an experiment with the protein saturation diet that went pretty well

Pizzalamp
08-21-08, 10:40 pm

but before u say u on budget?

mcbeast
08-21-08, 10:41 pm

20$ a day is budgetting?

When i get cash,6-8 cans a week is average.

Pizzalamp
08-21-08, 10:43 pm
20$ a day is budgetting?

When i get cash,6-8 cans a week is average.

i dont spend that much on meat per day

mustgetbig
08-22-08, 8:11 am
but before u say u on budget?

the tuna here at an aldis comes 4cans for a dollar

McFly
08-22-08, 8:16 am
i've been slightly addicted to tuna lately...been eating 2-3 cans a day as a snack. mixed with FF mayo, spicy brown mustard and relish eating it on crackers or pita bread while I watch TV at night.

actually made 3 sandwiches today to eat in between meals...hmm think I'll have one now!

mcbeast
08-22-08, 9:50 am
i dont spend that much on meat per day

hell no neither would i maybe more like 30 a week,haha buy in bulk.

and as far as the tuna at aldis..its crap 2 cans equal one good can.even then,your aldis is cheap.mine is 2 for 1$.either way thats a ridiculous amount of tuna in one day

Latimer316
08-22-08, 11:21 am
Damn, I'm glad my tuna isnt $1 per can. I sure as hell wouldnt spend that much on a can..they are around 54-57 cents per can, excluding albacore

Nole1
08-22-08, 11:28 am
I just can't eat more than 1-2 cans of it a day.

I can go to the butcher and get boneless/skinless chicken breast for $1.39/lb, which ends up being better protein and at a lower cost p/lb than canned tuna anyway. Plus there are so many more things you can do w/chicken.

As others have said - buy in bulk and meat becomes much more affordable.

200lb weakling
08-22-08, 1:54 pm
I read that the cheaper tuna is fine as far as mercury. I've heard the albacore (spelling?) can have mercury concerns. Albacore is more expensive anyway. I think the albacore might taste a little better or something.

It's funny with me. I get real tired of tuna and don't eat it for a while. Then the first couple times I eat it after a layoff, I think it tastes good. Then after two times eating it, I'm sick of it again.

sunny_max
08-03-09, 2:52 am
i eat tuna everyday like 40 gms of my daily protien is from tuna...i like it and its cheap.....but my gf who is in high school thinks its a bad thing cause of the mercury content in it......i usually quite her down by saying you dnt understand bodybuilding.....but i was wondering what u guys thought about it......is there somethign as too much tuna?

weedlewott
08-03-09, 4:38 am
Avoiding Mercury in Fish - Topic Overview

What is mercury?
Mercury is a metal found naturally in the environment. Human activities, such as farming, burning coal, and using mercury in manufacturing, increase the mercury cycling through the air, water, and soil. In water, mercury changes its form and becomes methylmercury. Fish absorb this mercury. When you eat fish containing mercury, you absorb the mercury, and at high levels it can be harmful. Mercury will leave the body over time in the urine, feces, and breast milk.

Do you need to avoid the mercury found in fish?
For most people, the level of mercury absorbed by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Overall, fish and shellfish are healthy foods. They contain high-quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat, and contain omega-3 fatty acids, a type of essential fatty acid. A balanced diet that includes fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's growth and development.

Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. However, some contain high levels. Eating large amounts of these fish and shellfish can result in high levels of mercury in the human body. In a fetus or young child, this can damage the brain and nerves (nervous system).

Because of the mercury found in fish, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advise the following people to avoid eating fish high in mercury and to eat limited amounts of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury:

Women who may become pregnant
Pregnant women
Nursing mothers
Young children
If you are concerned about your or your child's mercury level, talk to your health professional or local health department about testing.

How should you change your eating habits to reduce your exposure to mercury in fish?
The FDA and EPA recommend that women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children:1, 2

Do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish, because these all contain high levels of mercury.
Eat up to 12oz a week (two average meals) of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna, has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6oz a week (one average meal) of albacore tuna.
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6oz a week (one average meal) of fish caught from local waters, but don't eat any other fish during that week.

Should a woman who is not planning a pregnancy be concerned?
Mercury accumulates in your bloodstream over time and slowly leaves the body through urine, feces, and breast milk. If you eat a lot of fish high in mercury, it may take up to a year for your mercury levels to drop after you stop eating the fish. If you decide to become pregnant or have an unplanned pregnancy, you may have high levels of mercury. While elevated levels of mercury usually do not cause significant health problems, they may affect a developing fetus. If you are of childbearing age, try to follow the guidelines above when eating fish.

Where can you get more information?
For specific information on:

The amount of mercury in commercial fish, see www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html.
The fish or shellfish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas, see www.epa.gov/waterscience/fish/states.htm.
For general information on mercury in fish, see:

Your local health department or environmental agency.
The EPA fish Web site at www.epa.gov/ost/fish.
The EPA mercury Web site at www.epa.gov/mercury.
The FDA seafood Web site at www.cfsan.fda.gov/seafood1.html.

Sources:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/avoiding-mercury-in-fish-topic-overview
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/avoiding-mercury-in-fish-topic-overview?page=2

Omega-3 Supplements, Environmental Toxins and Fish

I wanted to start out the second part of the O3FA (Omega-3) postings by talking about environmental toxins and fish because I have to confess that I was always confused about the true facts about toxins and fish consumption. There is no doubt that high fish oil intake through the consumption of large amounts of fish may present a risk for increased environmental toxin exposure.

Let's begin by talking about mercury. Mercury may come from coal-fired power plants, waste incinerators, and mining operations as well as other sources. Once airborne, the pollutants fall to the ground in rain or snow and get into the water supply and are converted by bacteria to methylmercury which is toxic to humans. Large and older fish have accumulated more mercury than younger small fish. Also, predatory fish near the top of the food chain tend to accumulate more mercury.

Mercury poisoning by fish consumption has resulted in in neuropsychiatric signs and symptoms including numbness in the mouth and extremities, ataxia, auditory impairments, and most importantly, severe neurologic damage to children born to mothers with toxic mercury exposure. Despite this information, the totality of the evidence supports that the benefits of fish oil exceeds the potential risks, including intake in women of childbearing age with the exception of a few. It needs to be clear that these recommendations only apply to fish oil intake through the consumption of fish.

With regard to fish oil intake though select fish oil supplements, testing has shown that the level of mercury and other environmental toxins is very low or negligible. This occurs for two reasons. First, oxidized mercury is only water soluble and insoluble in oil and thus would not be expected to represent a significant toxicity risk with the intake of fish oils. Second, selected fish oil supplements undergo extensive purification processes to remove toxins and with the prescription fish oil preparations undergoing even more rigorous regulatory processes.

PCBs, Organocholorine pesticides , the most common one being DDT, and dioxin has also found their way into the water supply and ultimately fish consumption has been associated with toxicities from these agents. Dioxin is the primary component of Agent Orange which was used as a defoliant in the Vietnam War and is considered a carcinogen. Manufacturers of selected fish oil supplements have implemented purifications and quality controls designed to reduce the risk of exposure to these toxins. Thus, O3FA supplements may be preferable to fish consumption as a therapeutic source of O3FA.

The caveat to all this is that the Nutriceutical industry is largely unregulated. Although the FDA designates O3FA supplements as "generally regarded as safe", they are not subject to premarket review and approval requirements like prescription medicines. Some fish oil manufacturers elect to pursue "USP-Verified" marks on their label which indicates compliance with standards set by the US Pharmacopeia (USP) which is a independent, not-for-profit, organization established in 1820 that has set the legally recognized standards for identity, strength, quality, packaging, purity, and labeling.

Many physicians are unaware of USP monographs. The USP is also involved with the verification of products through the voluntary Dietary Supplement Verification Program. The presence indicates that the USP has rigorously tested and verified the supplement. The O3FAs that I take and give to my patients are USP certified. Some manufacturers make the false claim the their O3FA is "pharmaceutical grade" when they have not gone through the rigorous processes and oversight required to receive approval as a prescription pharmaceutical so beware of this misleading statement.

When I am asked if a particular brand of O3FA contains excessive vitamins or toxins to pose a health risk, I answer by saying that it depends on the operating and purification processes each company uses. The only way to know is if it is "USP-Verified". The only thing that one must know is that this labeling does not address the efficacy of a supplement. For efficacy information a label needs to state the amount of EPA and DHA within the O3FA and then the proper dose can be determined.

In my office, I show patients five of the most common brands and although they same 1000mg per tablet, if one looks on the back of the label, there is usually about 300mg of EPA and DHA. So when I tell patients to take 4000mg, they would need to take about 12 pills although the front says 1000mg. One would think they only need to take 4 pills. This is misleading. I generally encourage patients to take highly concentrated liquid which contains 3200mg per teaspoon if they are treating high Triglycerides or 2-3 500mg concentrated fish oil tablets if they are using fish oil for only Cardiovascular clinical benefits.. Please beware of this problem especially if the O3FAs are being used to treat Hypertriglyceridemia.

Source:http://blogs.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/2008/04/omega-3-supplements-environmental.html

Something to remember: As bodybuilders/powerlifters (or whatever catergory you fit into) we ingest more calories/ nutritents etc. than the normal lay person. So what applies to them doesn't necessarily apply to all.

Thank you Iceiktitan. I got this post from another thread on here. I would think that it lays out everything just right. Hope I helped you out man.

barbell
08-03-09, 5:17 am
Earlier on in the year I resorted to canned tuna after my wallet took a beating. (chicken aint cheap and steak is never on sale).
Problem was the canned tuna was canned in a fkload of cooking OIL!! So to get rid of the oil I'd run warm water through the half open can..the stuff was pretty tasteless afterwards.

Does doing what I did decrease the nutritional value of the tuna??
AND
How much protein, on average, is there in a can of tuna??
(I looked it up but the values vary greatly)

weedlewott
08-03-09, 5:25 am
here's a site for the Protein in Tuna. Covers most of the bases...
http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-tuna.htm

Tuna Canning - Eating Tuna in Oil vs. Tuna in Water

Living on a planet where over 70 percent of the surface is covered is with water abundant in edible life, fishing is a sport and a hobby with delicious prizes. But if fishing is not your avenue of feeling peace and serenity or thrill and excitement, you probably buy fish at the supermarket every now and then. Fish not only satisfies your appetite, but supplies generous amounts of valuable protein, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. More specifically, fish is the best source of Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids which play a balancing act with animal fats found in plentiful amounts with most of our meals.

Eating fish just three times a week helps to boost your immune system, assist in blood clot formation and hormone production, balance your cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease, reduce joint and muscle pain, support healthy brain and nerve function, fight depression while slowing down aging and keeping your body youthful. According to many researches, fish-eaters are hot only happier, but they tend to have more pleasant personalities than people who don't eat seafood.

Fish Fats
The main reason is found in the unique chemical nature of fish fats which work on the cellular level. Every cell in our body is surrounded by a cell membrane composed mainly of fatty acids. This membrane checks that the proper amounts of necessary nutrients enter the cells and ensures efficient excretion of harmful toxins and byproducts of metabolism. Made up of fat, cell membranes depend on the type of fat we eat.

To maintain integrity and fluidity, cells need a healthy membrane. This ensures good communication with other cells and efficient ability to hold water and vital nutrients. All the fats you eat get incorporated into cell membranes, and the type of fatty acids dictates how your cells respond and grow. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, while unsaturated fats stay liquid even in the refrigerator. Researchers believe that diets containing large amounts of saturated or hydrogenated fats produce cell membranes that are hard and lack fluidity, while diets rich in Omega-3 fats promote membrane fluidity.

Omega-3 fats are also famous for their ability to improve blood flow, prevent cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of arrhythmia, lower the amount of lipids in the blood, and prevent extreme blood clotting.

Did you know that you may be able to shed extra kilos almost effortlessly if you eat your Omega-3s? The reason is found in the wonderful ability of its constituents - the Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) - to work with appetite-suppressing hormone leptin released from your fat cells. When leptin goes up, you put down the fork down sooner because you feel satisfied and full. So, when you eat your fish, your hunger disappears thanks to the team work of EPA and leptin. Since all hormones work synergistically, your insulin also stays in check regulating your food intake, body weight and metabolism.

Researchers found that Omega-3 fatty acids affect cell growth by activating an enzyme called sphingomyelinase, which ultimately causes cancer cell death. Additionally, fish is full of other anti-inflammatory compounds known as resolvins which, unlike drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen and the COX-2 inhibitors, do not have negative side effects on our gastrointestinal or cardiovascular systems.

Nutritious Tuna
To stay healthy and safe from premature aging or onset of chronic disease, eating tuna twice a week is a great option. This truly nutrient-dense food gives you high quality protein, no carbohydrates, minerals selenium, magnesium, and potassium; the B vitamins niacin, B1 and B6; and perhaps most important, the beneficial Omega-3 essential fatty acids.

Besides the healthy fats, fish has more digestible complete protein than most foods, high amounts of vitamins A, B, D, and K, as well as calcium, iodine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron. Tuna is also a very good source of Vitamin B6 which, along with Folic Acid lowers levels of artery-damaging homocysteine and prevents atherosclerosis.

With all the fabulous benefits tuna has to offer, moderation is still the key to success. Consider that overdoses of nourishing fish nutrients, just like underdoses, may also impair immune function, elevate LDL cholesterol, alter blood lipids and blood clotting, and worsen Type II diabetes. Moreover, fish oil naturally contains high levels of the two potentially toxic vitamins, A and D.

Canned Tuna
If you established that fresh tuna fish is excellent for your health, can the same be attributed to canned tuna? If you are think canned foods are less nutritious than fresh options, you are not far from truth. But canning may not be as bad as you think.

Canning foods is a very effective method of preservation. The process protects against the growth of micro-organisms and kills harmful bacteria, but the high heats used for canning rob foods of vast amounts of nutrients, especially vitamin C, Thiamin and Riboflavin which are sensitive to light. You still benefit from the mineral supply of the canned foods, and the macro-nutrient nourishment may even be better than what you find in fresh products.

So, canned food is not always worse than fresh or frozen. If the food's overall quality is high, it is best in all forms - canned, frozen, or fresh.

Canned tuna can be a good source of Omega-3 fats, but the specific amounts depend on the product you choose. You'll find a variety of different terms used to describe tuna on canning labels. The market name "light" tuna may refer to many different species of tuna, including Skipjack, Bluefin, Yellowfin, and Tongol, but the specific name"albacore" or ''white tuna' comes from a biological species of tuna Thunnus alalunga, which includes Longfin, Tombo, Ahi, and Ahi Palanacanas tuna.

Nutritionally, these different types of tuna are quite similar-except for their fat content, which can vary by as much as 10 grams per cup depending on the chosen species, additional ingredients used in canning, brand name, and season and water temperature where the fish was caught.

Choosing Canned Tuna
To get the most Omega-3 fats from your canned tuna, choose water-packed over oil-packed. The oil mixes with some of the tuna's natural fat, so when you drain oil-packed tuna, some of its Omega-3 fatty acids also go down the drain. Since oil and water don't mix, water-packed tuna won't leach any of its precious Omega-3s.

Some manufacturers first bake tuna for easy de-boning, but it causes a loss of natural beneficial oils. Then the fish is mixed with additives and flavorings and put into the can - all you really get from these products are nutrient-lacking calories. When tuna is packed into the can raw and cooked only once, all the natural juices and fats remain.

Tuna in Oil vs. Tuna in Brine
Trying to tingle your taste buds with canned tuna may be as challenging as choosing the right flavor, texture and nutrient profile of the product.

Link Removed

There you go man. Hope it helps you out some. There's a chart at the bottom of this ^^^ link. Check it out.

barbell
08-03-09, 5:35 am
here's a site for the Protein in Tuna. Covers most of the bases...
http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-tuna.htm

Tuna Canning - Eating Tuna in Oil vs. Tuna in Water

Living on a planet where over 70 percent of the surface is covered is with water abundant in edible life, fishing is a sport and a hobby with delicious prizes. But if fishing is not your avenue of feeling peace and serenity or thrill and excitement, you probably buy fish at the supermarket every now and then. Fish not only satisfies your appetite, but supplies generous amounts of valuable protein, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. More specifically, fish is the best source of Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids which play a balancing act with animal fats found in plentiful amounts with most of our meals.

Eating fish just three times a week helps to boost your immune system, assist in blood clot formation and hormone production, balance your cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease, reduce joint and muscle pain, support healthy brain and nerve function, fight depression while slowing down aging and keeping your body youthful. According to many researches, fish-eaters are hot only happier, but they tend to have more pleasant personalities than people who don't eat seafood.

Fish Fats
The main reason is found in the unique chemical nature of fish fats which work on the cellular level. Every cell in our body is surrounded by a cell membrane composed mainly of fatty acids. This membrane checks that the proper amounts of necessary nutrients enter the cells and ensures efficient excretion of harmful toxins and byproducts of metabolism. Made up of fat, cell membranes depend on the type of fat we eat.

To maintain integrity and fluidity, cells need a healthy membrane. This ensures good communication with other cells and efficient ability to hold water and vital nutrients. All the fats you eat get incorporated into cell membranes, and the type of fatty acids dictates how your cells respond and grow. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, while unsaturated fats stay liquid even in the refrigerator. Researchers believe that diets containing large amounts of saturated or hydrogenated fats produce cell membranes that are hard and lack fluidity, while diets rich in Omega-3 fats promote membrane fluidity.

Omega-3 fats are also famous for their ability to improve blood flow, prevent cardiovascular disease, reduce the risk of arrhythmia, lower the amount of lipids in the blood, and prevent extreme blood clotting.

Did you know that you may be able to shed extra kilos almost effortlessly if you eat your Omega-3s? The reason is found in the wonderful ability of its constituents - the Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) - to work with appetite-suppressing hormone leptin released from your fat cells. When leptin goes up, you put down the fork down sooner because you feel satisfied and full. So, when you eat your fish, your hunger disappears thanks to the team work of EPA and leptin. Since all hormones work synergistically, your insulin also stays in check regulating your food intake, body weight and metabolism.

Researchers found that Omega-3 fatty acids affect cell growth by activating an enzyme called sphingomyelinase, which ultimately causes cancer cell death. Additionally, fish is full of other anti-inflammatory compounds known as resolvins which, unlike drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen and the COX-2 inhibitors, do not have negative side effects on our gastrointestinal or cardiovascular systems.

Nutritious Tuna
To stay healthy and safe from premature aging or onset of chronic disease, eating tuna twice a week is a great option. This truly nutrient-dense food gives you high quality protein, no carbohydrates, minerals selenium, magnesium, and potassium; the B vitamins niacin, B1 and B6; and perhaps most important, the beneficial Omega-3 essential fatty acids.

Besides the healthy fats, fish has more digestible complete protein than most foods, high amounts of vitamins A, B, D, and K, as well as calcium, iodine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron. Tuna is also a very good source of Vitamin B6 which, along with Folic Acid lowers levels of artery-damaging homocysteine and prevents atherosclerosis.

With all the fabulous benefits tuna has to offer, moderation is still the key to success. Consider that overdoses of nourishing fish nutrients, just like underdoses, may also impair immune function, elevate LDL cholesterol, alter blood lipids and blood clotting, and worsen Type II diabetes. Moreover, fish oil naturally contains high levels of the two potentially toxic vitamins, A and D.

Canned Tuna
If you established that fresh tuna fish is excellent for your health, can the same be attributed to canned tuna? If you are think canned foods are less nutritious than fresh options, you are not far from truth. But canning may not be as bad as you think.

Canning foods is a very effective method of preservation. The process protects against the growth of micro-organisms and kills harmful bacteria, but the high heats used for canning rob foods of vast amounts of nutrients, especially vitamin C, Thiamin and Riboflavin which are sensitive to light. You still benefit from the mineral supply of the canned foods, and the macro-nutrient nourishment may even be better than what you find in fresh products.

So, canned food is not always worse than fresh or frozen. If the food's overall quality is high, it is best in all forms - canned, frozen, or fresh.

Canned tuna can be a good source of Omega-3 fats, but the specific amounts depend on the product you choose. You'll find a variety of different terms used to describe tuna on canning labels. The market name "light" tuna may refer to many different species of tuna, including Skipjack, Bluefin, Yellowfin, and Tongol, but the specific name"albacore" or ''white tuna' comes from a biological species of tuna Thunnus alalunga, which includes Longfin, Tombo, Ahi, and Ahi Palanacanas tuna.

Nutritionally, these different types of tuna are quite similar-except for their fat content, which can vary by as much as 10 grams per cup depending on the chosen species, additional ingredients used in canning, brand name, and season and water temperature where the fish was caught.

Choosing Canned Tuna
To get the most Omega-3 fats from your canned tuna, choose water-packed over oil-packed. The oil mixes with some of the tuna's natural fat, so when you drain oil-packed tuna, some of its Omega-3 fatty acids also go down the drain. Since oil and water don't mix, water-packed tuna won't leach any of its precious Omega-3s.

Some manufacturers first bake tuna for easy de-boning, but it causes a loss of natural beneficial oils. Then the fish is mixed with additives and flavorings and put into the can - all you really get from these products are nutrient-lacking calories. When tuna is packed into the can raw and cooked only once, all the natural juices and fats remain.

Tuna in Oil vs. Tuna in Brine
Trying to tingle your taste buds with canned tuna may be as challenging as choosing the right flavor, texture and nutrient profile of the product.

Link Removed

There you go man. Hope it helps you out some. There's a chart at the bottom of this ^^^ link. Check it out.

Much Thanks man for the link and post.
This forum is crazy good.

McFly
08-03-09, 8:28 am
i didn't read any of those long posts LOL but I've been eating 5 servings of tuna pretty much on the regular...no mercury poisoning here...

dclutter1
08-03-09, 10:51 am
I heard somewhere that you don't have to worry too much about the mercury content of canned tuna because the fish that are used for that are relatively small. The larger of the tuna have a higher mercury content because they're large enough to eat other fish, increasing the level of mercury in their system.

I can't remember where I heard that so take if for what it's worth.

weedlewott
08-03-09, 12:00 pm
i didn't read any of those long posts LOL but I've been eating 5 servings of tuna pretty much on the regular...no mercury poisoning here...

haha. well, I figured they might as well know the reasoning behind it. It's like the MSNBC thing. The more you know..

sunny_max
08-04-09, 11:25 am
haha. well, I figured they might as well know the reasoning behind it. It's like the MSNBC thing. The more you know..

hey appreciate ur help weedlewott..........very helpful posts

J-Dawg
08-04-09, 11:35 am
Earlier on in the year I resorted to canned tuna after my wallet took a beating. (chicken aint cheap and steak is never on sale).
Problem was the canned tuna was canned in a fkload of cooking OIL!! So to get rid of the oil I'd run warm water through the half open can..the stuff was pretty tasteless afterwards.

Does doing what I did decrease the nutritional value of the tuna??
AND
How much protein, on average, is there in a can of tuna??
(I looked it up but the values vary greatly)

There should also be a tuna just packed in water. Is that available near you? What type of oil was it packed in? How much? Personally, I don't see an issue with running under the water to get rid of excess oil. Just put the tuna in a strainer and run it under the water to remove the oil as well as sodium. For protein content, it should be listed right on the back of the can per serving. It'll just depend on how many servings there are per container.

C.Coronato
08-04-09, 2:48 pm
There should also be a tuna just packed in water. Is that available near you? What type of oil was it packed in? How much? Personally, I don't see an issue with running under the water to get rid of excess oil. Just put the tuna in a strainer and run it under the water to remove the oil as well as sodium. For protein content, it should be listed right on the back of the can per serving. It'll just depend on how many servings there are per container.

Agreed. You can run the tuna under water with no problem. In college i literally lived on tuna, maybe thats how i made such great gains, that and the bulk 100 pack of burgers made out of who knows what i ate as a post workout meal. But i had two cans of tuna every day of months, cheap and tastes good, not my firts choice, but its better than ramen. Im still alive and kickin.

sunny_max
08-04-09, 10:54 pm
Agreed. You can run the tuna under water with no problem. In college i literally lived on tuna, maybe thats how i made such great gains, that and the bulk 100 pack of burgers made out of who knows what i ate as a post workout meal. But i had two cans of tuna every day of months, cheap and tastes good, not my firts choice, but its better than ramen. Im still alive and kickin.

i no what u mean bro.......i eat 2 packs a day....40gm protien for $2 is a sweet deal.....but stupid gf and their high school studies...they dnt understand a bodybuilder....haha.....i like the ones in water though....saves their nutrients and stuff .......

C.Coronato
08-05-09, 10:18 am
i no what u mean bro.......i eat 2 packs a day....40gm protien for $2 is a sweet deal.....but stupid gf and their high school studies...they dnt understand a bodybuilder....haha.....i like the ones in water though....saves their nutrients and stuff .......

Truth, i do rock the water as well, i was just saying for the dudes who pick up the oil packed.