PDA

View Full Version : Barbell Hack Squats, Who Does 'Em?

malink
05-11-08, 4:05 pm
what do you guys think about barbell hack squat...i think there are amazing to shock the legs once in a while...i tried them today, 4 sets of 10-12 reps and i wasnt able to squat shit after

what do you think about it?

born0withno0soul
05-11-08, 4:31 pm
i would like to know how you do them

prowrestler
05-11-08, 5:16 pm
i would like to know how you do them

its like a deadlift but the bar is behind you.

NickSP
05-11-08, 5:32 pm
its like a deadlift but the bar is behind you.

^^
It's kind of awkward and you usually can't use quite as much weight, but I feel it burns the quads really well, and of course some grip work. Get the form down and I think it's a great secondary exercise to use after your squatting or leg pressing. I personally wouldn't use it as the first movement.

malink
05-11-08, 5:44 pm
try this

Leg Extensions: 4 sets, 12-15 reps
Hack Squats: 4 sets (last set is a triple drop set), 10-12 reps
Leg Press: 4 sets, 10 reps
Barbell Squats: 3 sets, 10 reps
Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Standing One-Legged Curls: 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 3 sets, 10-12 reps

DreamZero
05-11-08, 9:37 pm
Good ol deadlift? Best thing around to build up testicular fortitude.. I know you have a solid back bro, it could be a great addition to that leg routine. Peace

mcbeast
05-12-08, 3:28 am
Bb hacks are sickening,guaranteed collapsing after a heavy set..
google and reap the benefits

sanga
05-12-08, 3:36 am
Good exercise providing you get the move right, some people don`t sink down enough into the movement.

Joe_clay
05-12-08, 4:53 pm
Only done them a couple of times on a light weight but could definately feel it afterwards.

Kept catching the bar on the back of my legs etc so think i need to work on getting the form right

mcbeast
05-12-08, 5:14 pm
Only done them a couple of times on a light weight but could definately feel it afterwards.

Kept catching the bar on the back of my legs etc so think i need to work on getting the form right

no,with my huge ass it had to grind against my calves.And now i have the biggest fn scars there.Wear em with pride!

I havent done em in a long time,might throw em back it

Thetasteofink69
05-12-08, 8:34 pm
try this

Leg Extensions: 4 sets, 12-15 reps
Hack Squats: 4 sets (last set is a triple drop set), 10-12 reps
Leg Press: 4 sets, 10 reps
Barbell Squats: 3 sets, 10 reps
Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Standing One-Legged Curls: 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 3 sets, 10-12 reps

That seems like over kill to me..

prowrestler
05-12-08, 10:16 pm
at one point, i had no squat rack so i had to do the bb hack squats. they are really tuff.

Gazzara
05-12-08, 10:48 pm
If the bar hits the back of your legs, you are bending forward too much. I started doing hack squats to force myself into better form for the regular deadlift. You have to keep your ass down and your shoulders back to get the bar past your hams. I used Meeko power grips for hack squats becasue I found it hard to grip a heavy weight from the hack position.

ionicrod
05-13-08, 12:22 am
yeah. there was an article (pretty sure muscle mag) where darem charles was talking about doing these to bring up his legs. He was pretty much swearing by them, talking about going back to the basics. I have yet to try them, but i will probably the next time i switch up my leg routine.

malink
05-13-08, 6:57 am
That seems like over kill to me..

why?

with proper nutrition and rest this isnt over kill

InkdMuscle
05-13-08, 12:17 pm
Sounds like an exercise that I am going to try. I love finding new ways to work legs and not be able to walk afterwards. lol

npeezy
09-26-08, 6:09 am
A staple in my leg routine is the barbell hack squat...the kind where you get into a deadlift position but the bar is behind your legs, against your calves....arc your lower back and pull...dragging the bar sorta up the back of your legs and stand upright...ive also heard this called a reverse deadlift. EVERY leg workout i do, i always have someone asking me what exercise i am doing because i have NEVER seen anyone do this movement. I happen to love it. i feel it in my lower quad and i feel it definitely targets the area next to the knee...does anyone else do these?

simpleguy
09-26-08, 10:10 am
I think I've seen a while back Giant Killer on this board doing it... I heard it's a bit weird till you get used to it - feeling naturally doing it, but then it produces great results

firsthorseman97
09-26-08, 10:19 am
I did them a few times this past summer. My training partner at the time showed them to me. Its definitely an awkward movement at first but it kills the quads.

pmug0000
09-26-08, 10:29 am
I never have, but I think I might give 'em a shot.

AFTazz06
09-26-08, 10:54 am
never tried them before, machine hacks kicked my ass, any pictures or videos showing how to do these? i would love to try'em out.

sanga
09-26-08, 10:57 am
I did this exercise many years ago when I first started and trained at home, got some good results too.

firsthorseman97
09-26-08, 11:03 am
never tried them before, machine hacks kicked my ass, any pictures or videos showing how to do these? i would love to try'em out.

Here's a video I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQ7fqP7meQ

BackRowBack
09-26-08, 12:12 pm
That's some old-school stuff right there. Can't say I've ever tried it; I always thought it would be too awkward.

npeezy
09-26-08, 1:50 pm
oh its DEFINITELY an awkward movement when you first start doing them, but once you get the rhythm of doing them correctly (just like any exercise) they are a piece of cake.

when doing them, make sure you control the negative and you will feel your fibers in your quads on fire, its awesome...then make sure you stand straight up at the top of the movement to really hit the lower quad and tear drop...once you start them you wont want to stop.

here is a good vid to learn and see the motion...notice how he almost locks out at the top...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDFdNqg0I4

Ady
09-26-08, 2:01 pm
Best way i find to hit my quads works perfectly every time. A staple in my workout :) its good to see someone else doing them aswell as keep ask me the same things

Giant Killer
09-26-08, 2:02 pm
I think I've seen a while back Giant Killer on this board doing it... I heard it's a bit weird till you get used to it - feeling naturally doing it, but then it produces great results

For sure I've incorporated them into my program in the past. The form is very strange at first but when you get comfortable with it...it will put some direct hurt on your quads like none other.

This and front squats are little orphans I like to throw into the mix. People usually don't stick with 'em long enough to see the true potential of the exercise.

firsthorseman97
09-26-08, 2:05 pm
For sure I've incorporated them into my program in the past. The form is very strange at first but when you get comfortable with it...it will put some direct hurt on your quads like none other.

This and front squats are little orphans I like to throw into the mix. People usually don't stick with 'em long enough to see the true potential of the exercise.

Is this an exercise you hit for low reps or high reps, or both?

Giant Killer
09-26-08, 2:16 pm

I would stick with high reps, low weight. If I recall I would go 10-12 at the lowest. Really get the form down and the work that the quads do will maximize hundred-fold. This is one of those exercises that if you ego-trip on, you'll work all your stabilizer muscles instead of the wheels.

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 2:29 pm
Tried these for the first time a few weeks ago after seeing Hollow1 do them in his journey. I was able to get a lot of power in this position and as a result went too heavy for my first time doing them. I ended up with a fairly serious abdominal sprain that is only now getting better. At first it was that bad that I was worried I had given myself a hernia.

Be careful and work your way into these. Especially if you are tall with a lot of your height coming from leg length as I am. It's a great exercise that I look forward to doing again in the future but as with any lift, you should work your way up gradually. Even if it feels like you can do a lot more. Maybe more so for the over 40 crowd?

Hg

shizz702
09-26-08, 2:30 pm
Here's a video I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQ7fqP7meQ

Lol I'd never be able to do it, the bar wouldn't be able to get past my squatter's ass!

npeezy
09-26-08, 3:53 pm

def. shoot for 12-15 reps. at least i know for myself, i dont start getting the painful queezy burn in my quads until around 7-8 reps then i keep pushing through until i get at LEAST 12.

Giant Killer
09-26-08, 3:53 pm
Lol I'd never be able to do it, the bar wouldn't be able to get past my squatter's ass!

Me too, but I elevated my heels on some plates and it both taxed my quads better and pushed my torso forward, getting my ass (relatively) out of the way.

prowrestler
09-26-08, 11:55 pm
A staple in my leg routine is the barbell hack squat...the kind where you get into a deadlift position but the bar is behind your legs, against your calves....arc your lower back and pull...dragging the bar sorta up the back of your legs and stand upright...ive also heard this called a reverse deadlift. EVERY leg workout i do, i always have someone asking me what exercise i am doing because i have NEVER seen anyone do this movement. I happen to love it. i feel it in my lower quad and i feel it definitely targets the area next to the knee...does anyone else do these?

i use to do them when i trained at home and had no squat rack, they worked and take balls to finish a set.

Italianmuscle08
09-27-08, 9:08 am
i love these but it does feel weird cause it hits your hamstring and like the back of your knee and gets caught. i used to have to do them in sweatpants because they would rip the living shit outta the back of my leg

IronWilson
09-27-08, 11:29 am
I hate doing them because my butt is really big.

mustgetbig
09-27-08, 2:05 pm
i do them almost every leg day

airborneIRON
09-27-08, 10:49 pm
i actually tried these out because i heard they could produce good gains, but i could never feel right doing them. just too unnatural for me...oh well.

npeezy
09-28-08, 12:44 am
i use to do them when i trained at home and had no squat rack, they worked and take balls to finish a set.

thats for sure....i almost throw up every time haha

ralf_snake
09-29-08, 11:09 am
I cant do the BB hacks squats, since i got a big butt, but machine hacks is good as well.

Tiny
09-29-08, 9:40 pm

Ah shit! You are resurectin some severe old skool shit now. I used to do 'em, back in the day when I had my first barbell set and my Bob Hoffman weightlifting instructional booklet. How about fuckin Jefferson Squats? Ever try that one? Shit, I'll bet if a mother fucker was seen doing Jeffersons in a conventional gym the whole place would think he was some kind of wacko. Jeffersons will fuck you up - not making light out of the barbell hacks, that shit for real hard core.

npeezy
09-29-08, 11:17 pm
Ah shit! You are resurectin some severe old skool shit now. I used to do 'em, back in the day when I had my first barbell set and my Bob Hoffman weightlifting instructional booklet. How about fuckin Jefferson Squats? Ever try that one? Shit, I'll bet if a mother fucker was seen doing Jeffersons in a conventional gym the whole place would think he was some kind of wacko. Jeffersons will fuck you up - not making light out of the barbell hacks, that shit for real hard core.

I LOVE EM! NO ONE EVER DOES EM (AT LEAST WHOEVER I SEE) AND THEY ARE MISSING OUT!!

i have heard of jefferson DEADLIFTS but not jefferson squats....

you mean where the bar is crooked between your legs and you have one leg behind and one infront and you get into a stiff leg deadlift stretch??

bigchuck000
09-30-08, 8:57 am
I do them at home where i only have basic equipment.
i do it with high reps to polish off the quads at the end of the workout

Tiny
10-01-08, 8:59 pm
I LOVE EM! NO ONE EVER DOES EM (AT LEAST WHOEVER I SEE) AND THEY ARE MISSING OUT!!

i have heard of jefferson DEADLIFTS but not jefferson squats....

you mean where the bar is crooked between your legs and you have one leg behind and one infront and you get into a stiff leg deadlift stretch??

YES!

prowrestler
10-01-08, 9:17 pm

FUCK YOUR OLD!!!!

lol, i use to do barbell hacks at home back in my day (3 years ago when i wasnt allowed at the gym due to marks)

made me suffer, they are hard as fuck!

npeezy
10-02-08, 10:51 am
YES!

hahaha now THAT is an old school move!

npeezy
10-02-08, 10:53 am
I do them at home where i only have basic equipment.
i do it with high reps to polish off the quads at the end of the workout

i feel they are a good movement anywhere in the workout, but i too especially like them at the end. not only do they hit the entire quad but i feel they target the lower quad near the knee. 3 sets, 12-15 reps...puke...go home.

pmug0000
10-17-08, 2:03 pm
I finally tried the barbell hack squats last night and after a few sets they had my quads cramping up something fierce. They're definitely good shit. The bar kept slamming into my calves though anyone else have that problem?

mustgetbig
10-17-08, 2:48 pm
I finally tried the barbell hack squats last night and after a few sets they had my quads cramping up something fierce. They're definitely good shit. The bar kept slamming into my calves though anyone else have that problem?

i do my calves get bruised from them

firsthorseman97
10-17-08, 2:55 pm

Do you put your heels up on plates? That's how I do them and it seems to 'move' my calves forward enough not to hit them. I actually lightly drag the bar up the back of my legs throughout the whole motion, but I don't actually slam into anything.

I was having a problem with hitting my ass but just as I get the bar to that point I move my hips forward and just skim by. With practice I have it down to a nice smooth motion.

pmug0000
10-17-08, 4:21 pm
i do my calves get bruised from them

Same for me. Now I've got bruises on my shins from deadlifts and bruises on calves from hack squats... at least I'm symmetrical.

pmug0000
10-17-08, 4:23 pm
Do you put your heels up on plates? That's how I do them and it seems to 'move' my calves forward enough not to hit them. I actually lightly drag the bar up the back of my legs throughout the whole motion, but I don't actually slam into anything.

I was having a problem with hitting my ass but just as I get the bar to that point I move my hips forward and just skim by. With practice I have it down to a nice smooth motion.

For the first few sets I didn't use plates under my feet, then for the last few sets I did. Using plates helped a little, but not too much. Probably I just need to get used to the movement and it'll fix itself.

Factory
10-18-08, 10:36 am

I do it EVERY TIME I do quads. I owe my teardrop 100% to this exercise. When I'm doing it in the gym kids come up and are like
WHY DO YOU DEADLIFT EVERYTIME I SEE YOU IN HERE. I just go about my lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthorseman97 Check Out Post

For the first few sets I didn't use plates under my feet, then for the last few sets I did. Using plates helped a little, but not too much. Probably I just need to get used to the movement and it'll fix itself.

if you do it on the smith machine its real easy to keep good form and get used to the motion, then move on to the real bar. that's what I did. When i'm going 250+ I go on the smith machine anyway, cause I don't wanna break my tibia/fibula if I drop the weight, I got poor grip strength.

npeezy
10-19-08, 12:57 am

i would just keep the bar a few inches further back so it doesnt rub your calves...it will rub your hamstrings tho no matter what

npeezy
10-19-08, 12:58 am
do you guys lock out at the top? i lock out and really SQUEEZE for a 2 second count and then slowly lower the bar back to the ground...when i lock out i really feel it in my lower quad/tear drop.

firsthorseman97
10-19-08, 1:17 pm
do you guys lock out at the top? i lock out and really SQUEEZE for a 2 second count and then slowly lower the bar back to the ground...when i lock out i really feel it in my lower quad/tear drop.

I always lock out and get that squeeze, its brutal.

Hoomgar
10-20-08, 2:16 pm
Did a simple set of just 4 reps Saturdays with just 150 on the bar to show my boy how to perform them. Pain in the abdominal came right back in a bad way all weekend and even into this morning yet.

It's a bummer too because I can really rock the weight in this move. I guess I simply can't do these :|

Hg

Factory
10-20-08, 2:48 pm
Did a simple set of just 4 reps Saturdays with just 150 on the bar to show my boy how to perform them. Pain in the abdominal came right back in a bad way all weekend and even into this morning yet.

It's a bummer too because I can really rock the weight in this move. I guess I simply can't do these :|

Hg

that's too bad, these really help out on the teardrop. you ever try them on a smith machine? might get rid of that pain?

Hoomgar
10-20-08, 4:09 pm
that's too bad, these really help out on the teardrop. you ever try them on a smith machine? might get rid of that pain?

I may at some point but if I am at the gym I can just use the hack squat machine. It sits literally right beside the smith. LOL!

Factory
10-20-08, 4:44 pm
oh yeah, my bad my gym doesnt have a real hack squat machine, so i use the barbell hack squats and used the smith a few times just to see the difference

Italian meat
10-20-08, 5:08 pm
my old hardocre gym in pittsburgh (exercise warehouse) don't have a hack squat machine. Sucks! I would sub that with front squats.

npeezy
10-20-08, 10:31 pm

Hg

sorry to hear that....if i COULDNT do barbell hacks i would substitute with front squats. for some reason i hate the hack squat machine, i can never get the tearing pain in my quads that i get from the barbell version....

some movements are just not for 'you' ya know?

by the way, im not sure if i missed it...but what kind of pain is it in the abs?

Hoomgar
10-21-08, 1:36 pm
sorry to hear that....if i COULDNT do barbell hacks i would substitute with front squats. for some reason i hate the hack squat machine, i can never get the tearing pain in my quads that i get from the barbell version....

some movements are just not for 'you' ya know?

by the way, im not sure if i missed it...but what kind of pain is it in the abs?

Hernia like pain. But no hernia thank God. It happened the first time I tried them a few weeks ago and it put me out of doing leg workouts for 2 weeks to get it to heal and go away. I was fine until I tried to show my boy how to do them and it hit me again for another good 4 days. It's going away again and I simply wont play around anymore. Not for me. It's not like I need them. I am doing great with Squats, legs press, leg ex, leg curl, etc...

It's just weird that this happens to me but it does so, time to move on. No biggie for me. Only regret is I liked actually doing them.

Hg

SeP
10-22-08, 4:01 am
dont know if I posted earlier in this thread or I decided not to but today I incorporated hack squats into my routine for the first time.

I used the smith machine (thoughts on this? It felt like it made damn sure it hit the whole upper leg - quad and hams - HARD) The only problem I have with this lift is that it put stress on my nuts. Every hard rep my nuts would contract like go straight up and it kinda hurt in a weird way. But I am damn pleased and surprised how hard it hit my legs!

npeezy
10-22-08, 7:43 am
dont know if I posted earlier in this thread or I decided not to but today I incorporated hack squats into my routine for the first time.

I used the smith machine (thoughts on this? It felt like it made damn sure it hit the whole upper leg - quad and hams - HARD) The only problem I have with this lift is that it put stress on my nuts. Every hard rep my nuts would contract like go straight up and it kinda hurt in a weird way. But I am damn pleased and surprised how hard it hit my legs!

if i am reading this correctly haha, i would open your stance just a tad. my feet around probably about 12 inches apart when i do these.

SeP
10-22-08, 12:21 pm
if i am reading this correctly haha, i would open your stance just a tad. my feet around probably about 12 inches apart when i do these.

did open my stance up each time. its not that my balls are getting scrunched between my legs lol its my balls are free hanging and they contract upwards everytime i stress to do a rep. kind of is bothersome worried about getting a hernia lol.

npeezy
10-22-08, 11:28 pm
did open my stance up each time. its not that my balls are getting scrunched between my legs lol its my balls are free hanging and they contract upwards everytime i stress to do a rep. kind of is bothersome worried about getting a hernia lol.

thats what it sounds like....like youre pulling your abdomen and groin in an awkward way thats aggravating you....are you arcing your back like the beginning of a deadlift and keeping the natural curve in your lower back throughout the whole motion?

Factory
10-23-08, 3:53 pm

that is hernia pain. you should get it checked out if you don'nt know how to check for a hernia yourself.

Factory
10-23-08, 3:55 pm

I used the smith a few times the first few times I did these, the benefit in my opinion, is that you don't rock your calves as hard with the bar, and it's a bit easier to do heavier weight. I feel it about 5x more with the regular bar though.

npeezy
10-24-08, 12:42 am
that is hernia pain. you should get it checked out if you don'nt know how to check for a hernia yourself.

i agree...it sounds like the beginning of a case of hernia bro

npeezy
10-24-08, 12:43 am
I used the smith a few times the first few times I did these, the benefit in my opinion, is that you don't rock your calves as hard with the bar, and it's a bit easier to do heavier weight. I feel it about 5x more with the regular bar though.

i did the smith last week since both squat racks were being held up...i noticed i could do more reps with a little bit more speed, but i def. like the free weight bar a LOT better..

Never Enough
06-19-09, 9:31 pm
I'm now doing 6 sets of 15-20 reps squats 4 sets of 12-15 reps lunges and 4 sets 20 20 40 20 let extensions. I'm wondering about hack squats. Very benifical or not so much? Do I need to do them? Will it help me get bigger quads?

pmug0000
06-19-09, 9:42 pm
I'm now doing 6 sets of 15-20 reps squats 4 sets of 12-15 reps lunges and 4 sets 20 20 40 20 let extensions. I'm wondering about hack squats. Very benifical or not so much? Do I need to do them? Will it help me get bigger quads?

You don't "need" to do them... you don't "need" to do anything... but I would say yes they are a great way to hit your quads and are worth adding into the mix once in a while

Big C
06-19-09, 9:44 pm
This man speaks the truth. I usually don't squat and do hacks on the same day though. I love triple drops sets on hacks just keep peeling plates off each side. Try it once.

You don't "need" to do them... you don't "need" to do anything... but I would say yes they are a great way to hit your quads and are worth adding into the mix once in a while

calcaneous
06-19-09, 9:50 pm
i love machine hack squats, because it allows you to easily put your feet in a close stance to hit the outer sweep.

MVP
06-19-09, 10:06 pm

I've always said (unless endurance is your goal) if you can do 6 X 20 on squats you'd need to severely increase the weight...

Quad hypertrophy comes from a calorie surplus and progress. Increase the weight each workout to every 3 workouts and continue to eat in a surplus and you'll find your quads will bust out of your pants.

Never Enough
06-19-09, 10:23 pm
I love triple drops sets on hacks just keep peeling plates off each side. Try it once.

What do you mean by this? I'm starting out and don't fully understand tripple drop sets. What are they what do you mean?

Big C
06-19-09, 10:26 pm
Say you do a set with 3 plates a side for 12 reps...get up take a plate off each side do a set of 10, then take another plate off each side and burnout with one plate per side. That's just an example bro. You're are resting about 15-20 seconds between those drops.

I love triple drops sets on hacks just keep peeling plates off each side. Try it once.

What do you mean by this? I'm starting out and don't fully understand tripple drop sets. What are they what do you mean?

Never Enough
06-19-09, 10:30 pm
Oh... I see. Thanks bro! that sounds like a pretty good exercise I'm actually going to try it.

MojoMike36
06-20-09, 3:24 am
do them just don't add them to what you're already doing. Remove something.

newbreed
06-23-09, 11:43 am
I always include hack squats on my leg day. I actually credit my outer sweep to it. A feel its as much as a must as squats

Grue
07-06-10, 3:43 am
Hi Animals.

I would like to know your opinion on the BB Hack Squat.

Today was the second time I did BB Hack Squats. I’m still learning / getting used to it. Trying not to fall backwards or trying not to hit my hamstrings with the Barbell when I come up.

So I would like to know if anyone has tips and tricks on how to perfect your BB Hack Squat form? Or what is the best form for BB Hack Squats.

Is it worth the while doing Hack Squats and what muscles should it hit; Quads or Hamstrings. I feel it more on my Quads.

I do it as my last Quad excise before I start doing Hamstrings.

Thanks.

AntoineV
07-06-10, 1:32 pm
Hi Animals.

I would like to know your opinion on the BB Hack Squat.

Today was the second time I did BB Hack Squats. I’m still learning / getting used to it. Trying not to fall backwards or trying not to hit my hamstrings with the Barbell when I come up.

So I would like to know if anyone has tips and tricks on how to perfect your BB Hack Squat form? Or what is the best form for BB Hack Squats.

Is it worth the while doing Hack Squats and what muscles should it hit; Quads or Hamstrings. I feel it more on my Quads.

I do it as my last Quad excise before I start doing Hamstrings.

Thanks.

always stick your chest out and your butt out. the freeweight hacksquat is a hard one.. when done right it can really target the quads. a tip so you can feel your quads work even more is do partial movements in the lower portion of the motion. don't lock the knees. Doing that will always keep the quads in tension - feel the burn - If you have a big butt like me it's a hassle going all the way up and locking the knees anyways.

mcbeast
07-06-10, 2:58 pm
I agree with antoine. If you have a big ass this exercise is difficult. It is a fun one tho. Either high rep or heavy weight. It will blast ÿour quads well. Just continue working on your form. That's key.

Machine
07-06-10, 9:28 pm
The best way to do these (I do then a few times per month) is to utilize a Smith Machine...you can set yourself up to target the quads perfectly by aligning your exercise posture with an empty bar first to ensure that you wont hit your calves or ass as you rep. Once you begin to increase the weight, you will see that if you keep your chest up and shoulders over over your hips (dont fuck it up by pulling your ass out and muscling the weight up with your lower back) you will begin to understand the benefit of these.

Good luck.

MACHINE

71bbo455
07-06-10, 9:32 pm
I've never tried that one. I'll have to give it a try and see how it feels. Looks interesting though. A lot of good videos on youtube that can show the proper form.

Grue
07-07-10, 2:55 am
always stick your chest out and your butt out. the freeweight hacksquat is a hard one.. when done right it can really target the quads. a tip so you can feel your quads work even more is do partial movements in the lower portion of the motion. don't lock the knees. Doing that will always keep the quads in tension - feel the burn - If you have a big butt like me it's a hassle going all the way up and locking the knees anyways.

I agree with antoine. If you have a big ass this exercise is difficult. It is a fun one tho. Either high rep or heavy weight. It will blast ÿour quads well. Just continue working on your form. That's key.

The best way to do these (I do then a few times per month) is to utilize a Smith Machine...you can set yourself up to target the quads perfectly by aligning your exercise posture with an empty bar first to ensure that you wont hit your calves or ass as you rep. Once you begin to increase the weight, you will see that if you keep your chest up and shoulders over over your hips (dont fuck it up by pulling your ass out and muscling the weight up with your lower back) you will begin to understand the benefit of these.

Good luck.

MACHINE

Thanks for the pointers. I'll definitely start doing these. Just have to wait for my next leg day, then I’ll let you guys know how it went.
The ‘don’t lock the knees thing’ sounds hectic on the quads; can’t wait to try it out.
Practise makes perfect, like they always say.

Machine
07-08-10, 8:45 pm
So...did you try these out yet...I can't take the suspense.

MACHINE

Grue
07-09-10, 2:25 am

MACHINE

lol no.
My leg day is on Tuesdays, so i'll def let you animals know by then.

Grue
07-15-10, 10:56 am
So Tuesday I didn't do legs. I didn't gym monday nor tuesday.. eee
Was to sick (kinda still), but I did do legs today.

So as my last excirse, I did BB Hack Squats
Went alot better than last time. I felt more stable and I wasn't hitting my ass
or legs. It's still not 100% perfect thou, far from it.

But that will come with practice I believe.
So I think 2 - 3 weeks before I can go uber heavy.

So now I'm doing 60kg 3 sets 12 reps.
Will slowly start going up from next week.
I believe i'll be able to do 100kg if I get my form right.

Mattman33
07-15-10, 1:35 pm

MACHINE

i pulled these out today, and loved them. thank you for the suggestion, as well as the description. i stayed fairly light and really tried to keep my form. these will definitely be added into my program as we have no true hack squat in my gym.