PDA

View Full Version : Think and Grow Big.......

Pages : [1] 2

Phoenix Rising
05-13-08, 12:49 am
Think and grow big…..

“What the mind believes, the body can achieve.” - Napoleon Hill

So Bust’n Ass 3 is underway and it is time to bulk, except for one thing, my fear of the 200lb mark. I am six feet tall and around 195lbs. Whenever I have reached the 200lb mark in the past, my mind thinks that I am a fat f*ck and I stop eating and slid down below the number again. As a friend recently told me, you can not be a mass monster at six feet and less then 200lbs. And I highly doubt, insert sarcasm, that a gain of 5 pounds or so would make me the winner of the Bust’n Ass contest.

So what is my deal with 200lbs? A little background on that: my grandmother was obese from about age 35 on and died just after passing sixty, while my father had a stroke at 55, he was also fat, and decided the he knew better then the doctors and continued to drink vodka and eat a stick of hard salami every night after work. Bang! Age sixty rolls around nine months later he is dead. Never met his grandkids, never met my wife, and gave up on life. In the back of my mind, I have this irrational fear that when I reach 200lbs I will turn into a fat ass, just like them, and continue the death just after sixty trend. I know it will not happen it is a mental block that I must get pass if I want to be the biggest MF’n dad at my kid’s school let alone win this contest.

Enough of the history lesson, it is time to move onward and upward and screw the scale. 200lbs ain’t nothing but a number and it is not going to slow me down. I am not my father and I am sure as hell not my grandmother either. I am on my own man with his own goal, plan, and lifestyle.

TIME TO START BUST’N ASS!

Lowdown5
05-13-08, 12:53 am
You just took the most important step toward your goals.

Proud of you Jason.

Phoenix Rising
05-13-08, 1:03 am
OVT Virgin.

On the advice of Lowdown5, I have changed my routine and have started the OVT training program. Looks like a solid program and will be a nice change of pace. Started it today and felt a little out of place in the gym as I was doing exercises that I had not done in a very long time. Workout felt good but also felt like a bit of an experiment as well. Started with the Arms and Abs routine since my quads hurt like a son of a bitch from yesterday’s ABC session, thanks a lot LD and Hoffdogg!

For the sake of space, I have not included the warm up sets:

Straight bar curls: 80*6, 90*4
Dumbbell curls: 40*5, 45*4
Cable Curls: 110*6

Tricep pushdowns: 150*8,150*8 (this is as high as the cable goes so need to do something else)

Skullcrushers: 65*6, 85*4
Dumbbell kickbacks: 35*6 (felt awkward as I have not done this one in years)
Barbell wrist curls: 70*4, 70*5
Dumbbell wrist curls: 30*5, 40*4

Leg raises: Bodyweight * 15 (twice) need to figure out how to add weight to the ankles.)
Cable rope crunches: 50*8, 70*6 (never done this before)
Weighted crunches: 80*10, 90*10 (used a machine, next time I will use free weights)

All in all, felt good but a bit awkward. Tomorrow is shoulders and traps and exercises I know very well so I expect the awkwardness to go away.

Phoenix Rising
05-13-08, 1:24 am
You just took the most important step toward your goals.

Proud of you Jason.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. You will be happy to know that I have written down everything I have eaten today, including two pieces of gum.

Themostocles
05-13-08, 1:39 am
Looking good man. Definitely a good start. -T.

Themostocles
05-13-08, 1:46 am
And on the tricep pushdowns, try doing some drop sets. Not sure what the volume restrictions are on the OVT program, but its a good way to tax the muscle when you can't increase weight. -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-13-08, 1:51 am
And on the tricep pushdowns, try doing some drop sets. Not sure what the volume restrictions are on the OVT program, but its a good way to tax the muscle when you can't increase weight. -T.

Thought about that, put the program calls for a strict set between four to six reps. Thinking about weighted dips.

Themostocles
05-13-08, 1:58 am
Thought about that, put the program calls for a strict set between four to six reps. Thinking about weighted dips.

Or some closegrip bench presses. -T.

Hollow
05-13-08, 9:24 am
Good to see you have a journey up and running Phoenix Rising. Wishing you the best in the Bustin' Ass contest.

Braindrop
05-13-08, 2:33 pm
Subbed, GL with the contest.

Phoenix Rising
05-14-08, 3:26 am
Thanks for the support!

05/13/2008

OT- Shoulders and Traps

This one was a nighttime work out for me, started at 10:40 pm and ended at 11:20 pm, I usually hit the gym in the morning but a schedule change at work has me fitting in the workouts when I can. Doesn’t matter, day or night, I am going to the gym. I can’t reach the size I want sitting on my ass on the couch. On to the fun:

Military Barbell Press (front): 70*6, 90*5, 110*4 (smith machine didn’t count bar)
Seated Dumbbell press: 50*5, 50*6
Standing side laterals: 25*8, 30*6 (aim for 6-8 on this set)

Barbell shrugs: 125*6 (pr) said f@ck it and slapped on 30lbs more and hit 155*6, smashing the pr set one set earlier.

Upright rows (straight barbell): 60*6, 80*4

Good solid workout, nice to smash a pr at the same time. I have a pinched nerve, near my spine by my traps, which was giving me fits but figured I would just suck it up and deal with it.

Tomorrow is back day.

Themostocles
05-14-08, 3:50 am
Way to get in there and get it done. I have had a similar pinched nerve, try holding the bar wider or narrower than normal. Also try different grips, overunder, underhand. Congrats on the pr's. -T.

Hollow
05-14-08, 11:55 am
Solid workout Phoenix Rising and congrats on the PR!

Phoenix Rising
05-15-08, 12:16 am
May 14, 2008
Back
8:50 AM start

Had to get in a morning workout today and looks like that will fit best into my schedule for the rest of this week. Next week, the schedule flips again so it will be afternoon workouts for me.

Even with the short turn around from last nights workout, I still felt pretty good. Went to a new gym and it took me some time to get used to some of the machines, new equipment, and lack of other equipment.

On with the show:

Lat Pull downs: 115*6, 125*6, 140*5
Seated cable rows: 115*6, 130*6 (tried a new machine and did not like it one bit. The seat/bench was way too far back, and not adjustable, so it made for an awkward starting motion)

Back extensions: 175*6, 205*6
Hyper with weights: 25*6, 35*6

Chest workout tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Phoenix Rising
05-15-08, 12:17 am
Way to get in there and get it done. I have had a similar pinched nerve, try holding the bar wider or narrower than normal. Also try different grips, overunder, underhand. Congrats on the pr's. -T.

Thanks for the advice, I will give this a shot at my next back workout.

Phoenix Rising
05-15-08, 12:18 am
Solid workout Phoenix Rising and congrats on the PR!

Thanks, it felt good to move some decent, for me, weight around. These workouts really have made me realize that I was not pushing myself hard enough in the past and wasted many trips to the gym back then. Good news is that I know now and I am seeing the results.

Themostocles
05-15-08, 1:21 am
Thanks, it felt good to move some decent, for me, weight around. These workouts really have made me realize that I was not pushing myself hard enough in the past and wasted many trips to the gym back then. Good news is that I know now and I am seeing the results.

Do you keep a log book? Thats when I started making my real gains, when I could look and see what I did last, and then try to beat it. -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-15-08, 1:31 am
Do you keep a log book? Thats when I started making my real gains, when I could look and see what I did last, and then try to beat it. -T.

Take it with my all the time and take a look back to see how far I have come or where I am dragging ass. Just finished writing in the exercises and set amounts for tomorrow.

Themostocles
05-15-08, 1:36 am
So what weight are you trying to acheive with this bulk? -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-15-08, 1:42 am
So what weight are you trying to acheive with this bulk? -T.

Still trying to decide. I plan to take a look and see how the first week went diet, workout, and weight wise and then go from there. Ideally, I would love to be 220 and 6', though I am not sure if I can do that in 12 weeks. Got the 6' already just need to add the weight. I will post my first week wrap up on this thread so you and others can critique it. The bulking game is new to me, so I am not sure what to expect.

Phoenix Rising
05-16-08, 1:58 am
OT – Chest
Thursday
Start 8:45 AM
End: 9:25 AM

Flat Barbell Bench: 140*6, 160*4, 170*4 (Smith machine, did not count the bar weight, was not sure if it was 20 or 25lbs)

Incline Dumbbell Press: 40*6, 45*6, 45*6

Dips: Bodyweight * 6, BW*6

A couple days off and then back to it on Sunday (Leg day). With my schedule shift at work, I am switching to another gym location as well. Not as nice as the one I have been at for the last two days, but iron is iron.

Themostocles
05-16-08, 2:04 am
Nice chest w/o, simple but effective. -T.

Braindrop
05-16-08, 10:35 am
Smith machine, did not count the bar weight, was not sure if it was 20 or 25lbs)

I found out the Smith bar at the hotel I work out in on the road is only 15#. It made me sad, because I thought I was benching 240 on it the first time I used it. Then I found the label...

Phoenix Rising
05-17-08, 1:17 am
I found out the Smith bar at the hotel I work out in on the road is only 15#. It made me sad, because I thought I was benching 240 on it the first time I used it. Then I found the label...

LOL, I will go with 15 then. I was looking for a label and didn't see one. I had an old workout partner who swore that the bar was at least 35lbs. Funny how is non-smith bench press never got close to his smith bench press.

Phoenix Rising
05-18-08, 10:07 pm
Sunday, leg day, Sunday.....

Hack squats: 235*6, 280*6, 340*6 (Need to bump the weight up higher)

Leg Presses: 360*6, 500*5 (PR!)

Stiff Leg Deads: 115*6, 135*6 (no longer a stiff leg dead virgin!)

Standing calves: 132*8, 170*7

Leg Press calf raises: 180*8, 270*8 (not used to this at all)

Nice leg workout day. Set a new pr in the leg press and did stiff leg deads for the first time ever and now a big fan of them. Also the first workout that I used my new iPod for.

widdlewade44
05-18-08, 10:16 pm
and good luck on your Journey, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Themostocles
05-18-08, 10:27 pm
Great work on the pr's. How did you like the Ipod? -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-18-08, 10:36 pm
Great work on the pr's. How did you like the Ipod? -T.

It is an iPod shuffle and it worked out really well. Nice to be able to have my own music playing in my ears then being subjected to the regular gym music. I liked that I was able to pick the song and volume for my sets, loud when I needed it.

Phoenix Rising
05-19-08, 6:39 pm
Monday!

Arms and abs

Straight bar curls: 90*5, 95*4
Sit dumbbells (alt): 40*6, 50*1 (arrgghh missed this one), 45*3
Cable curl: 130*6

Tricep press: 130*6, 175*6
Skull crushers: 75*6, 100*6
Kickbacks: 50*6

Barbell wrist curls: 80*6, 80*4
Dumbbell wc: 30*6, 30*6

Leg raises: bw*10, bw*10, bw*10
Machine crunch: 90*10, 120*10, 140*10
Crunches: bw+5lbs*10 (x3)

Nice solid workout. Took about an hour, so spacing was better then the first time I ran through this one.

Phoenix Rising
05-20-08, 10:12 pm
Tuesday
Shoulders and Traps

Military press (smith barbell): 70*6, 100*5, 120*4
Dumbbell press with a twist: 40*6, 50*6
Standing dumbbell laterals: 30*6, 35*6

Barbell shrugs: 155*6, 195*6 (PR)
Upright rows: 75*6, 75*6

A couple things I have noticed, my shrugs have improved since I started using straps, before straps, my hands would give out before my shoulders. Second thing, I started keeping a food journal and have been tracking everything I eat. I noticed that I was not nearly eating enough, as a matter of fact there were days I was below 1600 cals which is no way to bulk. So this week I have uped the intake and passed the 3000 cal mark today without feeling stuffed at anytime and eating every 2.5 hours. Have to eat big to grow big as the saying goes.

Themostocles
05-21-08, 12:05 am
Way to progress P. I don't keep a food log, I just eat the same thing day after day lol. Cuts down on the math. -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-21-08, 6:16 am
Way to progress P. I don't keep a food log, I just eat the same thing day after day lol. Cuts down on the math. -T.

How is your cut coming along?

Themostocles
05-21-08, 6:26 am
Good, I weigh again today, but as of last Wednesday I was down 8lbs. I am going to add cuts and some l-carnitine this weekend to help pick the metabolism up. Other than that, just going hard at it. Just a friendly reminder, update pics are due Monday. -T.

Hollow
05-21-08, 9:22 am
Workouts continue to look solid Phoenix Rising! That was a great idea adding a food journal to keep track of what you are eating. No doubt this will help you on your quest to add more mass.

Phoenix Rising
05-21-08, 9:36 pm
Wednesday
Back is where it is at

Wide grip pull downs: 137.5*6, 142.5*6, 150*6
Cable Rows: 150*6, 175*6
Good Mornings: 65*6, 85*6
Machine Back Ext: 260*15, 280*15 (Racked machine)

Gym did not have a glute hyper so I had to settle for the back extension.

Food intake was great again today.

Phoenix Rising
05-21-08, 9:37 pm
Good, I weigh again today, but as of last Wednesday I was down 8lbs. I am going to add cuts and some l-carnitine this weekend to help pick the metabolism up. Other than that, just going hard at it. Just a friendly reminder, update pics are due Monday. -T.

Nice job! Looking forward to Monday, not sure if I am going to jump on the scale or not. Might just go by the pictures and how my clothes feel.

Phoenix Rising
05-21-08, 9:38 pm
Workouts continue to look solid Phoenix Rising! That was a great idea adding a food journal to keep track of what you are eating. No doubt this will help you on your quest to add more mass.

Thanks!
A food journal and believing in myself have been the two biggest differences so far.

Phoenix Rising
05-22-08, 9:19 pm
Thursday
Chest Day

Smith Bench: 160*6, 170*5, 180*4
Incline Flys: 40*6, 55*6
Dips: BW*6, BW*6

Kind of went into this workout with a pissy attitude, looking at a shift change at work (not until another 6-8 weeks though) from days to nights. Not 100% thrilled about it but you do what you got to do.

Mood changed once I plugged in the iPod and went to work on the flat bench. Noticed that I did not push myself on the flys, I originally did 35*6 and then 40*6, so I said f it and went back it did again after my dips. This is the last day before a new series of OT workouts and I wanted to give it my best and not dwell on it for the next two days.

Next week brings a new series of workouts so it will be fun to shake it up a bit. Looking forward to pics on Monday as well.

Themostocles
05-23-08, 7:08 am
I work nights also, it sucks but it is a job. Into todays economy that hard to come by for some. There are number of night owls on here, so atleast you will have some company in that department. I am on here more at work than I am at home lol. Look forward to seeing your routine change. -T.

Hollow
05-23-08, 12:13 pm
Thanks!
A food journal and believing in myself have been the two biggest differences so far.

You've got to believe in yourself!!!

Phoenix Rising
05-25-08, 5:45 pm
Leg Day

Leg Press: 440*6, 500*6, 550*5
Smith Squats: 100*5, 110*5
Hammy curls: 145*6, 160*4
Stiff Deads: 115*5, 140*4 (Felt like I was going to pass out at the very end.)
Standing Calves: 180*7, 192*8
Seated Calves: 125*8, 150*5

Nice leg work out today, hurt to walk to the car. Stiff leg deadlifts are coming along, only the second time I have ever done them. For some reason I have a fear of squats, I think it is because I had to relearn them since my form was all messed up and I was tweaking my back all the time.

All in all a good day. I will be posting pics tomorrow so I see if there are any changes.

Phoenix Rising
05-26-08, 11:41 am
Chest Day

Did it without the smith machine this time.

Incline Barbell: 135*6, 145*5, 150*4
Bench Press: 155*6, 180*5
Decline: 165*6

Machine Crunch: 160*10, 180*10, 200*10
Weighted Incline: bw*10, 10*7
Crunch: bw*10 (x3) 30 second rest between sets

Went into the gym at 6 AM to avoid the normal national chest day crowd. Surprise! Even at 6 AM with a total of 8 guys in the gym, 8 of them were doing chest. The power of national chest day! I am now aware that it runs from midnight to midnight on Mondays.

Phoenix Rising
05-27-08, 9:48 pm
Back and traps
5:00 AM

Back to afternoon workouts tomorrow.

Barbell Rows: 125*6, 145*6
V Bar Pulldowns: 160*6, 170*5
Hammer High Hammer Rows: 70*6, 75*6
Seated Cable Row: 175*6

Deads: 135*6, 185*5 (Been doing for a week now and damn I love these)
Shrugs: 205*5

Good solid workout. Thank god for straps as my arms no longer give out before my traps and back.

Progress pics look great for everybody so I know that I have to keep bustin ass.

Themostocles
05-28-08, 12:05 am
Sorry about being AWOL the last couple of days, busy weekend with the kid and family. Looking great in your pics man, you are getting there. You doing any grip training? W/O's are looking really good Phoenix. -T.

Phoenix Rising
05-28-08, 9:45 pm
Sorry about being AWOL the last couple of days, busy weekend with the kid and family. Looking great in your pics man, you are getting there. You doing any grip training? W/O's are looking really good Phoenix. -T.

Good to have you back, when you were gone my readership dropped to zero. :-}

I know what you mean about kids and family, whew sometimes they are a workout themselves.

I do some grip training. Two years ago I was hit with Guillain-Barré syndrome. Guillain-Barré syndrome is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. Basically I started to losing feeling and control of my hands and my grip strength was gone. The feeling started to spread up my arms and the disease can shut down the heart and respiratory system quickly. So I spent three days in the hospital with a spinal tap and all kinds of good stuff. Lucky for me it only traveled half way up my arms when it stopped.

So after that my grip tested out at the same level as a 7 year old kid and has slowly moved up since then. Last check left hand was 13 yo boy and right was 15 year old girl. It is coming back slowly but surely. To give you an idea what it is like, my hands have that tingling feeling you get when they fall asleep, but I have it at all times.

Whew, sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you the background on it.

Phoenix Rising
05-28-08, 9:57 pm
Shoulders and Triceps

Man, had a deep tissue massage yesterday and I feel good but beat to hell.

Seated dumbbell press: 50*5, 60*5, 60*4
Military press: 110*4, 115*3
Standing side lats: 30*6, 30*6

Cable pushdowns: 140*10, 146*8, 146*8
Machine overhead ext: 60*10, 70*10, 80*10
One arm dumbbell ext: 35*3.5, 30*4 (really wanted that four on 35lbs just couldn't hit it, next time I will get it and then some.)

Funny how the weight feels different on cable systems. One gym I can lift more while the other I can lift less. Just part of the "joys" of not using free weights.

Themostocles
05-28-08, 11:55 pm
Good to have you back, when you were gone my readership dropped to zero. :-}

I know what you mean about kids and family, whew sometimes they are a workout themselves.

I do some grip training. Two years ago I was hit with Guillain-Barré syndrome. Guillain-Barré syndrome is a disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. Basically I started to losing feeling and control of my hands and my grip strength was gone. The feeling started to spread up my arms and the disease can shut down the heart and respiratory system quickly. So I spent three days in the hospital with a spinal tap and all kinds of good stuff. Lucky for me it only traveled half way up my arms when it stopped.

So after that my grip tested out at the same level as a 7 year old kid and has slowly moved up since then. Last check left hand was 13 yo boy and right was 15 year old girl. It is coming back slowly but surely. To give you an idea what it is like, my hands have that tingling feeling you get when they fall asleep, but I have it at all times.

Whew, sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you the background on it.

I completely understand, I got and uncle with auto-immune issues with alot of similar effects. And then a cousin with Renauds. I was going to give you tips for grip strength if you weren't doing any. Great job soldiering on, instead of writing off lifting like 90% of the population. -T.

Hoffdogg
05-29-08, 12:03 pm
Better late than never I guess...I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

Just know I will be checking in now regularly.

Hollow
05-29-08, 12:12 pm
Your workouts continue to look great Phoenix Rising! My hat is off to you Phoenix Rising for overcoming Guillain-Barré syndrome and still pressing on with working out verses packing it in!

Phoenix Rising
05-29-08, 9:32 pm
Thanks for the support everybody. I figure that if it didn't kill me, then I can and will kick some ass in life.

Phoenix Rising
05-29-08, 9:32 pm
Better late than never I guess...I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

Just know I will be checking in now regularly.

Welcome to the party!

Phoenix Rising
05-29-08, 9:41 pm
Thursday
Bi's and Abs

Kind of dragging ass on the way in, must be a Thursday thing for me. Picked it up a bit as the gym was not crowded so I had some room to workout without crowding other people.

Straight Bar Curls: 95*5, 95*3, 85*6
Hammer Curls: 35*5, 35*4
Curl Bar Curls: 75*6, 90*4

Leg Raises: bw*12, bw*15
Cable crunches: 60*10, 80*10

Next two days off, Saturday is a fun loving cheat day and then back to the fun on Monday.

Themostocles
06-01-08, 1:33 pm
Hope you had a good couple days off, and are now well rested and ready to hit it hard on Monday. -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-01-08, 7:35 pm
Sunday = Leg Day
Took Friday and Saturday off as normal

Leg Press: 450*6, 540*5, 600*5
Squats (non-smith machine): 115*6, 135*5
Laying hammy curls: 155*6, 165*5
Stiff Leg Deads: 125*6, 175*5
Standing calves: 204*8, 216*8
Sit calves: 155*8, 155*7

Solid Sunday workout. Deadlifts where have you been all of my life????

Hoffdogg
06-01-08, 11:02 pm
Sunday for legs...definately can be a religious experience. Workout looks solid.

Themostocles
06-01-08, 11:34 pm
Deadlifts where have you been all of my life????

If only more people asked this question lol. So hows life other than the gym? Family doing good? -T.

Hollow
06-02-08, 12:08 pm
Solid leg session Phoenix Rising! Hope you had two good days of rest on Friday/Saturday.

Phoenix Rising
06-02-08, 5:04 pm
Tuesday
Chest and Abs

Incline Bench: 140*6, 145*6, 155*5
Bench Press: 185*5, 190*4
Decline Press: 185*5

Machine Crunch: 200*15, 200*12, 200*10 (30 second rest in between)
Incline Crunch: bw*10, 5lbs*7
Crunch with weights: 5*10, 5*10, 5*10 (30 second rest in between)

Decent workout, though I am not eating enough today (mental thing) but I have planned out my meals for the rest of the day so I am good now.

Hoffdogg
06-02-08, 5:56 pm
Tuesday
Chest and Abs

Incline Bench: 140*6, 145*6, 155*5
Bench Press: 185*5, 190*4
Decline Press: 185*5

Machine Crunch: 200*15, 200*12, 200*10 (30 second rest in between)
Incline Crunch: bw*10, 5lbs*7
Crunch with weights: 5*10, 5*10, 5*10 (30 second rest in between)

Decent workout, though I am not eating enough today (mental thing) but I have planned out my meals for the rest of the day so I am good now.Is this a future workout? "Tuesday"?

Phoenix Rising
06-02-08, 6:12 pm
Ah crap..make that Monday workout.

Hoffdogg
06-02-08, 6:21 pm
Ah crap..make that Monday workout.HAHA...I figured that, but who knows you could have been dreaming of tomorrows workout!

Themostocles
06-03-08, 6:28 am
How are the low number of exercises working for you? I like lifting too much to that few of sets. I don't know how you were training before either. -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-03-08, 10:04 pm
The low level sets are working out very well, reps and weights are going up. I do about two warm up sets that I generally don't list. I will do this for the first exercise of the muscle group only.

BigAnt
06-03-08, 10:23 pm
Leg Day

Leg Press: 440*6, 500*6, 550*5
Smith Squats: 100*5, 110*5
Hammy curls: 145*6, 160*4
Stiff Deads: 115*5, 140*4 (Felt like I was going to pass out at the very end.)
Standing Calves: 180*7, 192*8
Seated Calves: 125*8, 150*5

Nice leg work out today, hurt to walk to the car. Stiff leg deadlifts are coming along, only the second time I have ever done them. For some reason I have a fear of squats, I think it is because I had to relearn them since my form was all messed up and I was tweaking my back all the time.

All in all a good day. I will be posting pics tomorrow so I see if there are any changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERY SOLID LEG DAY!

Basic lifts and to the point!

Keep strong---MIND/BODY ! ! !

Phoenix Rising
06-03-08, 10:32 pm
Tuesday, yes Tuesday, work out
Back and traps

Long day today and wll be for the next 3-4 weeks. Woke up at 2 AM (for work) and hit the gym at 4:40 PM and then after this it is time for bed at 8 PM.

Barbell Rows: 155*6, 165*5
V Bar Pulldowns: 162.5*6, 162.5*5
Machine Rows: 200*6, 212.5*6

Deads: 155*6, 185*6
Dumbbell Shrugs: 60*8, 65*8 (worked with a lesser weight to really get a good stretch in).

Themostocles
06-04-08, 12:19 am
Tuesday, yes Tuesday, work out
Back and traps

Long day today and wll be for the next 3-4 weeks. Woke up at 2 AM (for work) and hit the gym at 4:40 PM and then after this it is time for bed at 8 PM.

Barbell Rows: 155*6, 165*5
V Bar Pulldowns: 162.5*6, 162.5*5
Machine Rows: 200*6, 212.5*6

Deads: 155*6, 185*6
Dumbbell Shrugs: 60*8, 65*8 (worked with a lesser weight to really get a good stretch in).

What kind of barbell row is that? -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-05-08, 9:27 pm
Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but they are standing barbell rows.

Phoenix Rising
06-05-08, 9:33 pm
Took Wednesday off to take care of my very pregnant wife. Hardly see each other with the new work schedule so decided it was a good idea to keep the family solid and tight.

Thursday
Biceps and Abs

Straight bar curl: 80*6, 85*6, 100*4
Hammer Curls: 35*6, 40*4
EZ Bar Curls: 80*6, 90*6

Leg Raises: Bw*15, Bw*15
Machine Abs: 150*15, 160*15, 200*12

Nice to be back at it, I think the body appreciated a day off. Recieved my Omega yesterday and started taking it last night.

Themostocles
06-06-08, 12:21 am
Not sure if I am answering your question correctly, but they are standing barbell rows.

I was just curious, there are so many types of barbell rows lol. Didn't know your wife was pregnant, congratulations PR, how far along is she? Boy or girl? Got to be exciting! Take care of the family. OH yeah, strong curls too :).

Hoffdogg
06-06-08, 1:37 am
Days off...good
Your Bicep workout....good
Wife pregnant...I don't think I knew that!

Phoenix Rising
06-07-08, 6:27 pm
Yep, wife is pregnant. Been keeping it a bit quite since the last one resulted in a miscarriage. My baby girl is due in just under two months! So that will make two girls, one boy, and one busy mom and dad. Three is the limit though.

Week 5 of Max OT and of course, the first day focuses on arms which I just did two days ago. Ugghhh.

Back and Arms:

Lat pull downs: 150*6, 165*6
Vbar pull downs: 165*6, 165*5
Barbell rows: 165*5, 165*5

Dumbbell curls: 40*6, 45*5
Straight bar curls: 80*6, 90*4 (arms still sore from last arms workout)

Overhead machine extensions: 105*8, 135*5
One arm dumbbell extensions: 35*6, 35*5

My eating is suffering on the weekends as I don't eat nearly enough. Decided to set the timer for every two and a half hours and when it goes I get something to eat. Sounds basic but it has been a struggle.

Themostocles
06-07-08, 6:31 pm
The timer is a great idea. I pretty conditioned response trained myself to my meal times. Now my stomach lets meknow like clock work lol. Not so much hunger, as just kind of rumbles. -T.

Hoffdogg
06-07-08, 9:55 pm
Yep, wife is pregnant. Been keeping it a bit quite since the last one resulted in a miscarriage. My baby girl is due in just under two months! So that will make two girls, one boy, and one busy mom and dad. Three is the limit though.

Week 5 of Max OT and of course, the first day focuses on arms which I just did two days ago. Ugghhh.

Back and Arms:

Lat pull downs: 150*6, 165*6
Vbar pull downs: 165*6, 165*5
Barbell rows: 165*5, 165*5

Straight bar curls: 80*6, 90*4 (arms still sore from last arms workout)

Overhead machine extensions: 105*8, 135*5
One arm dumbbell extensions: 35*6, 35*5

My eating is suffering on the weekends as I don't eat nearly enough. Decided to set the timer for every two and a half hours and when it goes I get something to eat. Sounds basic but it has been a struggle.Good stuff right here, and a HUGE congrats on the new arrival!!!!! My arrivals are not so new...LOL...already 17 and 15...sheesh

Weekends are hard man, I always fall down myself. Log it into Fitday.com and print it...keep it in the kitchen...the timer is a good idea....even if you think about it...eat

Phoenix Rising
06-08-08, 9:25 pm
Sunday
Leg Day

Squats: 115*6, 145*6, 165*6 (Damn, feeling better and better each time on these)
Leg Press: 630*2, waited 15 seconds then did 630*3 (PR)
Deads: 165*6, 185*5
Laying Hammy Curls: 165*6
Standing Calves: 220*8, 228*7

Themostocles
06-08-08, 9:28 pm
Sunday
Leg Day

Squats: 115*6, 145*6, 165*6 (Damn, feeling better and better each time on these)
Standing Calves: 220*8, 228*7

Those numbers keep getting higher and higher, those legs have to be looking thinck. So what are you weighing in at now? -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-08-08, 9:40 pm
Those numbers keep getting higher and higher, those legs have to be looking thinck. So what are you weighing in at now? -T.

Wife noticed increase in the thickness of my thighs when I was playing with m son on the floor the other night. Nice not to have chicken legs anymore. Not sure about the weight, saving that for picture day. Toda was cheat day so I ate a crap load of clean and not so clean food today. Felt good.

How are your workouts coming along? Just over a week until the next update.

Themostocles
06-08-08, 9:55 pm
Its going good. Still not noticable to others on the midsection, but it is too me. I forgot to weigh this morning, so my next oppurtunity is Wednesday. So is your wife happy about your transformation? -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-08-08, 10:12 pm
She is loving it. Last night she was worried that I was not getting enough calories so she ran out and bought a steak and rice bowl for me.

She is looking forward to starting her own transformation after the baby is born.

Themostocles
06-08-08, 10:13 pm
She is loving it. Last night she was worried that I was not getting enough calories so she ran out and bought a steak and rice bowl for me.

She is looking forward to starting her own transformation after the baby is born.

Thats awesome that you have such a supporting and understanding wife. You are truly blessed PR. -T.

Hoffdogg
06-09-08, 12:51 am
Sunday
Leg Day

Standing Calves: 220*8, 228*7Big congrats on the PR! Love the cheat days too, I did a cheat dinner last night and breakfast this morning....just a little different swing to it.

Phoenix Rising
06-10-08, 10:45 pm
For your viewing pleasure I give you two days of workouts in one post.

Had a massage on Monday, and concentrated on my left shoulder that was sore as hell. A bit of an impingment issue but it is getting taken care of and feels better already.

On with the show:

Monday:
Chest and Abs

Flat bench: 190*4, 195*4, 200*4 (PR)
Incline Dumbs: 50*6, 50*6
Dips: bw*4 and then shoulder gave up on me

Machine abs: 85*10, 85*10
Incline: bw*10, bw*10

A lot of pain in the shoulder, had the massage later on that day.

Tuesday:
Shoulders (nothing like giving the shoulder and good workout after getting it "fixed."
Traps

Machine Press: 100*6, 125*4 (went with the machine first to test the shoulder out, it passed with flying colors)
Dumbbell Press: 60*4, 60*4
Standing side laterals: 30*6, 35*4
Dumbbell Shrugs: 60*6, 80*6

Happy to have the body working near 100% again.

Themostocles
06-10-08, 11:56 pm
Damn your numbers are growing every week. I got my massage next week, looking forward to it. She really knows how to loosen everything up, and to help break down knots. Glad the shoulder is better. -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-11-08, 9:45 pm
Wednesday
Triceps, forearms, and abs

cable push downs: 180*6, 200*6
Skull crushers: 75*6, 95*5
One arm dumb extensions: 40*5

barbell wrist curls: 80*5, 80*5
dumbbell wc: 20*8

Leg raises: bw*15, bw*15
crunches: bw*20, bw*20

Due to my lovely syndrome, described a page or two ago, my grip is shot today. I could do the 80 lbs but then had issues with the dumbbell curls. To give you an idea of what it feels like, my hands feel like they are partially asleep and cramped up at the same time. Yes, it is a pain in the ass, but I am thankful that my hands and forearms were the only things that the disease hit.

Next two days off and then back to the fun on Saturday.

Themostocles
06-12-08, 12:20 am
Enjoy your days off PR. Enjoy the family. -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-17-08, 9:32 pm
Busy with the family so I have delayed my postings.

Saturday - Legs
Squats: 165*5, 185*4, 190*2
Leg Press: 589*4, 589*4
Standing calves: 228*7, 232*7
Leg press calves: 180*15, 180*15

Sunday - Back and Bi's
Lat Pull Downs: 150*6, 165*6, 170*5
V-bar pull downs: 170*5, 170*5
Upright barbell rows: 135*6, 135*6 (pinched that damn nerve again!)

Straight bar curls: 95*3, 75*6, 75*6
Standing dumbbell curls: 35*6, 40*5

Took Monday off as my body was feeling beat to all hell and back.

Tuesday: Tri's and Abs
Cable push downs: 180*6, 200*6, 210*6
Skull crushers: 95*6, 105*6
One arm ext: 45*2, 40*4

Barbell wrist curls: 60*8, 60*8
Dumbbell wrist curls: 25*8

Leg raises: bw*15, bw*15
Crunches: bw*20, bw*20

Whew! sorry for the long post.

Feeling better, especially after seeing my progress pics.

maxrep
06-17-08, 10:05 pm
ALWAYS claim victory!

Hoffdogg
06-18-08, 12:02 pm
Looks like you are still killing it!

Phoenix Rising
06-18-08, 9:57 pm
Thanks for the support guys! It helps me dig down deep and move the weights when my body wants to say no.

Phoenix Rising
06-18-08, 10:01 pm
Wednesday
Shoulders.

Damn it, still having issues with the shoulder so took some motrin ahead of time and that seemed to reduce the pain a bit.

Machine Press: 125*6, 137*4
Seated Dumbbells: 60*6, 65*4
Machine lat raises: 40*6, 40*6 Holy F! This is when the shoulder pain kicked in.

Dumbbell shrugs: 85*6, 95*5

Good workout, tired of the shoulder issue though.

Hoffdogg
06-19-08, 2:58 pm
Wednesday
Shoulders.

Damn it, still having issues with the shoulder so took some motrin ahead of time and that seemed to reduce the pain a bit.

Machine Press: 125*6, 137*4
Seated Dumbbells: 60*6, 65*4
Machine lat raises: 40*6, 40*6 Holy F! This is when the shoulder pain kicked in.

Dumbbell shrugs: 85*6, 95*5

Good workout, tired of the shoulder issue though.
Watch that shoulder man, you can find exercises that don't aggrevate it. I find that any front raises bother mine, and certain angle of Flyes.

Find what works, avoid what hurts.

Themostocles
06-19-08, 3:02 pm
Watch that shoulder man, you can find exercises that don't aggrevate it. I find that any front raises bother mine, and certain angle of Flyes.

Find what works, avoid what hurts.

X2. Your progress pics are looking great PR, and so are the w/o's. Keep up the amazing work. -T.

Phoenix Rising
06-22-08, 8:38 pm
Took a couple days off, body told me to. Slept 21 out of 24 hours one day so I think that was a good sign to take the time off. Dealing with a sick kid and trying not to get sick myself. Was able to go back strong today. Program is switched up a bit for a couple weeks. 3 days on and one day off, every Thurs and Fri off and off after every leg day.

Sunday:
Back and Bi's

Lat pull downs: 170*6, 180*5
V bar pull downs: 175*6, 185*4
Machine rows: 90 per side*7, 115 per side*5

Alt dumb curls: 40*6, 45*5
Straight bar curls: 75*6, 95*4

Barbell wrist curls: 60*10
Dumbbell wrist curls: 30*8

Rack pulls: 185*6, 205*6 (PR)

Did machine rows based on the advice of Hoff and T. Found a no pain exercise to do.

My wife had breakfast with a friend of ours, who we have not seen in a bit, and the friend told her "Dang, Jason has been working out hard lately, he is getting big." That was nice to hear.

Hoffdogg
06-22-08, 11:39 pm
Took a couple days off, body told me to. Slept 21 out of 24 hours one day so I think that was a good sign to take the time off. Dealing with a sick kid and trying not to get sick myself. Was able to go back strong today. Program is switched up a bit for a couple weeks. 3 days on and one day off, every Thurs and Fri off and off after every leg day.

Sunday:
Back and Bi's

Lat pull downs: 170*6, 180*5
V bar pull downs: 175*6, 185*4
Machine rows: 90 per side*7, 115 per side*5

Alt dumb curls: 40*6, 45*5
Straight bar curls: 75*6, 95*4

Dumbbell wrist curls: 30*8

Rack pulls: 185*6, 205*6 (PR)

Did machine rows based on the advice of Hoff and T. Found a no pain exercise to do.

My wife had breakfast with a friend of ours, who we have not seen in a bit, and the friend told her "Dang, Jason has been working out hard lately, he is getting big." That was nice to hear.

Great workout, and a smart workout. Damn good! The compliment is the payoff...congrats on that.

Phoenix Rising
06-24-08, 10:05 pm
Two days worth for your viewing pleasure:

A little different on this one, Chest and shoulders, as I was going the machine route to find exercises that did not cause my shoulder pain.

Dumbbell bench: 50*6, 60*5, 60*5
Incline machine: 190*6, 220*6

Machine military press: 90lbs each side*6, 100lbs each side * 6
Dumbbell bent over rear lats: 50*6, 60*6

Skull crushers: 95*6, 110*2
Cable pushdowns (vbar): 140*6, 160*5

Tuesday
Legs

I owe this one to my wife. I was running late out of work and was supposed to pick up the kids by 6. Would not have had enough time to work out and pick up the kids, so my wife volunteered to pick them up even though she was almost all the way home. She wanted to make sure that I got a good workout in.

Squats: 135*6, 185*4, 200*3
Leg press: 6pps*5, 7pps*5 (new pr. I wanted to scream it out at the top of my lungs)
Sitting calves: 100*6, 100*6
Standing calves: 160*6, 160*6

Hoffdogg
06-24-08, 11:54 pm
Leg press: 6pps*5, 7pps*5 (new pr. I wanted to scream it out at the top of my lungs)
Scream it bro! I let the gym know today on my PR...haha...

Solid two workouts.

Themostocles
06-28-08, 1:19 am
What's up PR? How is the family? life? work? I know you were going to a different shift, how is that working out for you? I just got off vacation and wishing I was still on it lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-02-08, 12:41 am
Hey T, thanks for checking in. New shift at work was supposed to start tonight, 2pm to 2am, but I got hit with strep instead. Came along during my week off from the gym so that is a plus. Family life is good as we are getting ready for the birth of our little girl, which is less then one month away.

How are things going for you?

Themostocles
07-02-08, 12:49 am
Hey T, thanks for checking in. New shift at work was supposed to start tonight, 2pm to 2am, but I got hit with strep instead. Came along during my week off from the gym so that is a plus. Family life is good as we are getting ready for the birth of our little girl, which is less then one month away.

How are things going for you?

Sorry to hear about the strep man, bad luck. Let me know how you like the night life, I work 11:30pm-8am. So what do you do anyways? I am good, same old same old; work, lift eat, and my daughter. All the best things lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-06-08, 4:34 pm
Sorry to hear about the strep man, bad luck. Let me know how you like the night life, I work 11:30pm-8am. So what do you do anyways? I am good, same old same old; work, lift eat, and my daughter. All the best things lol. -T.

Hey T -

Over the strep and back to the fun. I will post my workout in the next post. I work for Target at their local distribution center. I manage a crew of about 40 people in the Inbound/Receiving area. Night life is working out ok right now, still adjusting to the schedule a bit.

What about you?

Phoenix Rising
07-06-08, 4:38 pm
I'm back! After a week off, thanks strep throat!, I went back to the gym yesterday.

Legs

Squats: 135*6, 185*3, 185*3, 135*5, 135*5
Leg Press: 5pps*6, 6pps*4, 7pps*4
Standing Calves: 216*8, 228*7
Horizontal machine calves: 90*13, 110*12

Also did 3 sets of bar only squats 12 times to work on my sticking point. Basically squatted down to just below parallel and then went up to just when your legs to start to angle then back down again. Trying to get stronger and more explosive in that area.

mikejones1
07-06-08, 6:07 pm
I'm back! After a week off, thanks strep throat!, I went back to the gym yesterday.

Legs

Squats: 135*6, 185*3, 185*3, 135*5, 135*5
Leg Press: 5pps*6, 6pps*4, 7pps*4
Standing Calves: 216*8, 228*7
Horizontal machine calves: 90*13, 110*12

Also did 3 sets of bar only squats 12 times to work on my sticking point. Basically squatted down to just below parallel and then went up to just when your legs to start to angle then back down again. Trying to get stronger and more explosive in that area.

big weight, low reps. what a bulk is all about
keep it up animal
dont forget pics tomorrow

Phoenix Rising
07-12-08, 10:13 pm
Aarrgghhh! Rough week with the new shift kicking in and adjusting to it. Currently working 2:30 pm to 2:30 am. 45 min commute there and 40 minute commute back. Good news is that I work with another dude and he knows that I am bulking and need to eat often so I am able to step away and get the food in.

Last two workouts:

7/7
Back and Bi's

Pulldowns: 160*6, 185*4
V Bar Pulldowns: 130*6, 175*4, 130*6
Machine Rows: 115*6, 115*6

Standing Dumbbell curls: 40*6, 40*4
Straight bar curls: 70*6, 70*6 Dropset 50lbs,40's, and 30's.

Dumbbell curls: 30*6

7/12
Legs

Squats: 185*4, 185*2, 135*6 (Squats have suffered as of late and not sure why)
Leg Press: 5pps*6, 6pps*5, 7pps + 10lbs*4

Standing calves: 220*8, 230*7
Horizontal calves: 210*12, 220*12

Laying hammy curls: 130*6, 145*5

Not sure what the hell is going on with squats. Trying to figure it out. Form is still good, but it feels like I am placing the bar lower on my back and my balance gets out of whack.

24 days until the due date of my daughter!!

Themostocles
07-13-08, 2:32 am
Thrawn has a pic in his journey, page 22 I think, of bar placement. Have you tried varying the type of squat: box, pause, changing stances? The body adapts quickly. But your w/o's are always improving some way, and you are looking good PR. Man it is getting close to your kids arrival, you are going to have to post pics. -T.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-13-08, 2:39 am
i believe i may have to sub this......

Phoenix Rising
07-13-08, 3:48 am
i believe i may have to sub this......

Sounds good to me. Any and all advice and/or wisdom you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Phoenix Rising
07-13-08, 3:51 am
Thrawn has a pic in his journey, page 22 I think, of bar placement. Have you tried varying the type of squat: box, pause, changing stances? The body adapts quickly. But your w/o's are always improving some way, and you are looking good PR. Man it is getting close to your kids arrival, you are going to have to post pics. -T.

T -

Did some box squats last session along with working on my sticking point. You might be spot on about the bar placement, felt off centered today and could not get it dialed in.

I will post pics as soon as she arrives. My wife and I, along with the kids, are looking forward to that day.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-13-08, 1:54 pm
well if your bulking, milk and 20 rep squats are supposed to help put some serious mass on.

and about the squat thing.. you gotta find a stance and bar placement that work for you.. but checkin out thrawns pic should help....

Phoenix Rising
07-13-08, 10:17 pm
7/13 Back and Bi's

Man, great workout today. The weights felt light and I had to double check the 80lb straight bar to make sure it was 80lbs. Felt too light.

Straight bar pulldown: 145*6, 160*5
Sitting rows: 115 each side*6, 125es*6, 145es*4

Rack pulls: 185*6, 235*4, 255*3 (PR!)

Dumbbell curls: 40*6, 45*6
Straight bar curls: 80*6, 90*4

Reverse straight bar culrs: 30*12, 40*8

Solid workout, very focused through out.

Themostocles
07-13-08, 11:28 pm
7/13 Back and Bi's

Man, great workout today. The weights felt light and I had to double check the 80lb straight bar to make sure it was 80lbs. Felt too light.

Wish my weights felt too light LOL. Congrats on the PR!. -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-19-08, 12:01 am
Whew! Been busy and have not had a chance to post my last workout.

Great News!

My daughter, Caroline Josephine, was born last night and mother and daughter are doing great.

Nice to have a new Animal in the family.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-19-08, 12:04 am

Great News!

My daughter, Caroline Josephine, was born last night and mother and daughter are doing great.

congratulations man....

Themostocles
07-19-08, 12:04 am

Great News!

Congrats big man! Give us all the stats and some pics when you get the chance. -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-20-08, 12:18 am
Pics of Caroline and the family:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg317/PhoenixRising916/Carly/the_fitch_five_07-19-2008_1346.jpg

6 lbs 14 oz
17 3/4 inches long

SQUAT or DIE!
07-20-08, 12:30 am

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg317/PhoenixRising916/Carly/the_fitch_five_07-19-2008_1346.jpg

6 lbs 14 oz
17 3/4 inches long

good lookin family man..

Themostocles
07-20-08, 12:51 am

6 lbs 14 oz
17 3/4 inches long

So cute and tiny. Makes my daughter look like bigfoot lol. Family is looking great. -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-26-08, 1:49 am
Been a bit since I last posted. Here are the last two workouts.

Hammer strength shoulder press: 70*8, 95*8, 120*4

Rear lateral raises: 65*8, 70*6

Straight bar tricep push downs: 170*6, 190*4 DS 130*13, 100*8, 70*8

Machine Incline: 255*6, 265*4, 265*3

Squats: 135*5, 155*5, 155*5
95*10 (start at bottom and only up to sticking point)

Machine Leg Press: 310*10, 400*5

Sitting calves: 90*10, 100*10

Laying hamstring curl: 130*10, 130*10

Shrugs: 70*10, 80*8

On a side note, new born Carly is dealing with some serious health issues, so my postings have been kind of hit or miss. Keeping life in perspective and taking care of the family and then me.

Themostocles
07-26-08, 10:14 am
I am sorry to hear about Carly, will keep her in my prayers. May I ask what is happening with her? -T.

Phoenix Rising
07-26-08, 9:01 pm
07/26/2008

Back and Bi's:

Straight bar pulldowns: 165*6, 175*6
Hammer strength rows: 115*6, 125*6, 135*6
Rack pulls: 205*6, 255*4

Straight bar curls: 80*6, 90*6
Rev straight bar curls: 40*8,50*6

Good workout. Nice stress reliever with everything going on.

Phoenix Rising
07-27-08, 10:54 pm
Here we go. Sunday 7/28/8 shoulders and tri's

Hammer strength press: 95 (each side)*8, 120*5, 130*4
Rear delt dumbbell raises: 70*7, 75*6
Front dumbbell lateral raises: 15*10, 20*8 (somewhat pain free finally)

Straight bar pushdowns: 180*5, 195*2 (damn! wanted to hit four so bad), dropped to 150*6

Two hand overhead dumbbell extensions: 60*8, 70*7, 75*6

Man, day two of a nice solid workout. felt good all workout long. One of those workouts were you are spent but don't want the workout to end.

Phoenix Rising
07-30-08, 1:30 am
Whew! Bustin ass is done and it was a blast. I have decided to keep on with my bulking phase and change the workout style up a bit. Using a program called Beast Building by Christian Thibaudeau, three part program with each part lasting four weeks. Looks good so far and I look forward to giving it a go.

Phoenix Rising
07-30-08, 5:39 pm
First day on new program. Week 1 consists of working at 80% of max and doing as many sets of three reps (as you can) in 20 minutes. Rest time is up to the lifter.

Session 1: Motor skill Acquisition

Upperbody Push: Incline bench 115lbs 15 sets of 3

Overall lower body: Deadlift 155lbs 10 sets of 3

Upperbody pull: Hammer strength rows 135lbs each side 10 sets of 3.

Goal is to hit 8-12 sets per exercise.

Loved the workout, very different from 2 sets of 6-8 reps of heavy weight. Though that comes later on in this plan.

Themostocles
08-11-08, 7:58 am
Haven't heard from you in here for awhile, hope everything is going ok. -T.

Phoenix Rising
08-26-08, 3:16 am
Apologize for the lack of posting ~~~

As I posted earlier, our baby girl arrived on July 17th. She is doing well and shortly after her birth she was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. It was something that we were somewhat prepared for, mostly because I am past 35 yo and my wife is past 40 yo, but it does take the wind out of your sails for a second or two.

My mind and time has been spent on her and the rest of my family and my posts have been far and few between. Things are getting back to normal, so I will be posting again soon.

Themostocles
08-26-08, 3:18 am
Apologize for the lack of posting ~~~

As I posted earlier, our baby girl arrived on July 17th. She is doing well and shortly after her birth she was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. It was something that we were somewhat prepared for, mostly because I am past 35 yo and my wife is past 40 yo, but it does take the wind out of your sails for a second or two.

My mind and time has been spent on her and the rest of my family and my posts have been far and few between. Things are getting back to normal, so I will be posting again soon.

Take your time, the rest of us will still be here when you get back. Forum rats are good at waiting. Hope all the best your daughter and the rest of your family. -T.

Hollow
08-26-08, 3:53 am
Take your time, the rest of us will still be here when you get back. Forum rats are good at waiting. Hope all the best your daughter and the rest of your family. -T.

X2! Wishing your daughter and all your family the best!

Phoenix Rising
09-09-08, 8:46 pm
Thank you for the kind words, it is much appreciated and needed.

Happy to say that last night was my first night back in a long time. Joined a new gym, Powerhouse, that is open 24 hours so I can get my lifts in right after work (2:45 AM). I knew I was in the right place, during my first tour, when I saw not just one cage but two, a deadlift platform, and a separate room for all kinds of strong man training. Did I mention the Animal iconic sticker (RED) next to the front door as you walk in?

So last night I made my way over to the new gym and I kid you not, at the front desk they had an open can of M-Stak and Animal Test and you could take a couple packets as free samples. Checked with the manager about ABC sessions (Nor Cal baby!) and he was all for it.

Anyway, enough raving, on to the workout:

Dumbbell shoulder press:
40*5, 40*5, 45*5, 50*5

Side and front lateral superset: 15*5, 20*5, 20*5

Rear delts with dumbbells: 60*5, 60*6, 70*6, 70*4

Barbell shrug: 105*8, 125*8, 175*5, 175*3

Damn it felt good to be back. Heading over there again tonight. Best thing about working out so late that it is pretty much just me and the iron. Sometime solitude is my best motivator.

On a health note, my daughter is doing well on her "bulking" cycle as her weight is finally going up in good numbers. She has a heart defect and was having a hard time gaining weight. She is now at 7 lbs 14oz and as the doctor says "She is thriving!" Makes a Dad very happy and teary eyed to hear that.

Thanks again for all of the support and it is nice to be back "home".

Themostocles
09-10-08, 1:39 am
First of all, great to hear about your daughter. I've kept her in my thoughts, and as a father I know exactly how you feel. I truly hope her health continues to improve.

Send, that sounds like an awesome gym. Wish I had a place that cool around, but mine is still a good one. That was a great workout and I am very glad you are back brother. Doesn't look like you lost any ground while you were gone, keep kicking ass. -T.

SQUAT or DIE!
09-10-08, 1:43 am
glad to hear your daughter is doing well...

Hollow
09-10-08, 9:15 am
Great to hear your daughter is doing much better Phoenix Rising!

Phoenix Rising
09-14-08, 4:44 pm
Early Thursday morning
12:45

Cable pull downs: 160*6, 170*4
High hammer rows: 65*10, 115*6, 115*6
Rack Pulls: 205*7, 255*4

DB Curls: 35*8, 40*5
Straight bar curls: 60*8, 70*6
Cambered bar drop sets: 60,50,40,30

Good workout, had the whole gym to myself so you can't beat that.

Phoenix Rising
09-14-08, 4:47 pm
Friday 3:00 AM

Hammer inclines: 1pps*12, 70lbs ps * 8, 95lbs ps*3
Hammer press: same as above

Tricep straight bar pushdowns: 140*12, 160*9, 180*8
Skull crushers: 70*6, 70*3, 50*10
Two hand dumbbell extension: 50*10, 60*6, 60*6

Enojyed this workout, arms and chest felt pretty well pumped afterwards, must have been due to the extended time off.

Themostocles
09-14-08, 11:49 pm
Those are some great looking workouts brother. You got some strong arms PR! I love it when I have the gym to myself, then I can sing to myself really loud and obnoxiously lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
09-19-08, 3:41 pm
Leg Day

Leg Ext: 60*20, 90*15, 105*15
Hack Squat: 45lbs per side*10, 70*8, 95*5, 45*12
Single leg standing hammies: 40*12, 50*7, 50*7
Sitting hammy curls: 120*15, 135*15, 165*10
Standing Calves 195*10, 195*8, 195*8 superset with
Sitting calves: 70*10, 70*8, 70*8

Legs fried, been a long time since I did legs.

Phoenix Rising
09-19-08, 3:43 pm
Shoulders:

Smith machine press: 25lbs per side*12, 50*7, 65*4
Front lats: 20*10, 25*8, 25*10 superset with
Side lats: 20*10, 25*10, 35*5

Rear delts (dumbbell): 60*8, 60*8, 60*8
Rev Pec Dec drop set: 70lbs,60lbs,30lbs

Phoenix Rising
09-19-08, 3:45 pm
Back and Bi's:

Pull downs: 140*8, 160*8, 170*6
Hammer rows: 90*6, 90*6, 100*6
Assisted pull ups: 110*5, 110*5
Rack pulls: 225*10, 275*5 (PR)

Barbell curls: 70*8, 80*6
Cable 21's: 60lbs, 70lbs, 80lbs

Themostocles
09-19-08, 9:13 pm
W/o's looking good buddy. Lots of supersets, always fun. How are things going? -T.

SQUAT or DIE!
09-19-08, 9:15 pm
looks like youve had some pretty good wos

Phoenix Rising
09-20-08, 6:24 am
Thanks for the replies, life is going good, family is well and my little girl is making some good progress.

Chest and Tri's:
Hammer Incline: 45lbs per side*12, 75*6, 75*5, 80*4
Hammer Press: 50*12, 80*8, 100*5

Push Downs: 150*12, 180*7, 200*5
Two hand dumbbell extension: 55*10, 65*5, 65*5
Skull crushers: 50*10, 60*5, 60*5

Nice solid workout had the gym mostly to myself except for this f'n huge dude. He was pulling some serious weights so it worked on my motivation as well.

Themostocles
09-21-08, 2:35 pm
Thanks for the replies, life is going good, family is well and my little girl is making some good progress.

Chest and Tri's:
Hammer Incline: 45lbs per side*12, 75*6, 75*5, 80*4
Hammer Press: 50*12, 80*8, 100*5

Push Downs: 150*12, 180*7, 200*5
Two hand dumbbell extension: 55*10, 65*5, 65*5
Skull crushers: 50*10, 60*5, 60*5

Nice solid workout had the gym mostly to myself except for this f'n huge dude. He was pulling some serious weights so it worked on my motivation as well.

Nothing like not wanting to feel like a pussy next to the huge guy to motivate you lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
09-23-08, 4:36 am
No doubt about not wanting to look like a pussy. Sometimes it is the I-pod for motivation other times it is the biggest dude in the place.

Leg workout - copied Enforcers last workout (page 137) and damn if I can't walk. Sick bastard.

Seated hamstrings: 120*30, 135*20, 165*12, 165*12, 180*10, 180*10
Laying hammies: 60*15, two dropsets 60,45,30
Hack squats: 50lbs per side*10, 55*10, 65*10, 65*15, ds 45,35,25
Single leg extensions: 40*15, 40*12, 30*15 (legs were fried at this point and I was cussing out Enforcer)
Seated calves: 75*15, 90*15, 105*15, 120*15, ds 105,75,45

Whew. Crawled out to the car and dragged my ass home.

Going to be hating it tomorrow and the next day as my work is pretty much 11 hours of walking and standing on concrete. Got to love it!

Themostocles
09-23-08, 4:39 am
I know the feeling; I am standing on concrete right now and my feet are killing me. But when I get off work I am going to go squat and do my legs. We are a bunch of retards lol. -T.

Psycho77
09-23-08, 4:49 am
No doubt about not wanting to look like a pussy. Sometimes it is the I-pod for motivation other times it is the biggest dude in the place.

Leg workout - copied Enforcers last workout (page 137) and damn if I can't walk. Sick bastard.

Seated hamstrings: 120*30, 135*20, 165*12, 165*12, 180*10, 180*10
Laying hammies: 60*15, two dropsets 60,45,30
Hack squats: 50lbs per side*10, 55*10, 65*10, 65*15, ds 45,35,25
Single leg extensions: 40*15, 40*12, 30*15 (legs were fried at this point and I was cussing out Enforcer)
Seated calves: 75*15, 90*15, 105*15, 120*15, ds 105,75,45

Whew. Crawled out to the car and dragged my ass home.

Going to be hating it tomorrow and the next day as my work is pretty much 11 hours of walking and standing on concrete. Got to love it!

Solid workout bro. Your a sick sick man.

Phoenix Rising
09-23-08, 5:04 am
I know the feeling; I am standing on concrete right now and my feet are killing me. But when I get off work I am going to go squat and do my legs. We are a bunch of retards lol. -T.

Retards? Nah just dedicated bastards who believe in tearing it all down so we can rebuild it the way we want.

Phoenix Rising
09-23-08, 5:05 am
Solid workout bro. Your a sick sick man.

Blame Enforcer, he is the cause of this sickness! :-)

Psycho77
09-23-08, 5:12 am

Nah, I won't blame him.....I'll thank him.

Themostocles
09-23-08, 5:31 am
Retards? Nah just dedicated bastards who believe in tearing it all down so we can rebuild it the way we want.

Oh I know :). Now if I could get them stronger instead of just bigger.

Try one of Hola Bola's leg w/os next. That is a man that is down with the sickness. -T.

Phoenix Rising
09-29-08, 5:34 pm
Catching up:

Thursday 1:40 AM

Machine shoulder pres: 60*15, 85*10, 115*8, 115*8, DS 100,70,40
Plate Raises: 25*15, 35*11, 45*6
Side delts: 15*8, 15*8, 20*6
Bent over rear delts: 65*7 (4 sets)

Friday
3:00 AM

Pulldowns: 100*15, 130*10, 160*6, 160*6
Cable Rows: 170*10, 180*8, 190*7
T Bar Rows: 45*12, 70*8, 70*8

Started getting sick, flu, halfway through work on Thursday night so Friday morning workout as a bit short.

Themostocles
09-30-08, 12:43 am
Hope you are feeling better PR, the flu sucks. Good looking w/o's. -T.

Psycho77
09-30-08, 1:45 am
Nice workout man. Hope you feel better soon and kick ass in the gym.

Phoenix Rising
10-18-08, 2:23 pm
Dang, didn't realize it had been so long since I posted. Busy with work and family but still hitting the gym. Spent the last week in So. Cal (Fontana to be exact) for some work training. I was able to hit a local Ballys for back night, pulled 285lbs on rack pulls which is a new PR, and then the hotel gym for arms the next night.

Leg results from yesterday: (back home)

Seated hammies: 135*30, 165*15, 180*12, 195*8, 195*8, 210*6
Laying hammies: 75*4, 60*6, 60*6
Hack squats: 70lbs per side*10, 75*6, 80*5, 100*4, 105*2
Single leg ext: 45*12, 60*8, 60*8
Seated calves: 120*12 (4 times) and then drop set 120-90-60

Legs are fried today and I will be worthless on Sunday (thank God for football and Direct TV season pass). Using BCAA, EAA, and Beta Ala9 as well. It's great, I get in the gym and do not want to leave even when my body is spent.

On the family front, things are going great, Carly is doing well (my new little girl) and passed her hearing test. Life is good.

Themostocles
10-19-08, 9:40 am
Great to see you on brother, and that is excellent news on Carly. I am glad she is doing so well. Congrats on that rack pull PR, almost to three plates a side. And damn you are getting some strong legs. -T.

Phoenix Rising
11-05-08, 3:55 pm
Here we go! Life/work balance is solid and it is time to turn it up a notch or six. I started this log as part of the bustin ass contest and bulked up, well my diet went south and I have slipped down to 194lbs.

I have a new goal is in sight...210 by January 1. I know I could get there by just eating Wendy's everyday and gaining the fat, but that is not the way an Animal gets things done. So it is on to heavier weights and pushing myself to the limit each and every time. Should be a fun journey, feel free to follow along.

Themostocles
11-05-08, 11:09 pm
Hey! What is wrong with eating Wendy's everyday lol? Good to see you back at it PR. -T.

Phoenix Rising
11-13-08, 3:05 pm
Hey! What is wrong with eating Wendy's everyday lol? Good to see you back at it PR. -T.

Now that would be fun dirty bulk.

Phoenix Rising
11-13-08, 3:25 pm
Great news, I won a free can of Animal Test over at Bodybuilding.com and at a perfect time as I get the bulk phase up and running.

My weight, on Monday, was a "huge" 191 lbs so I have some work to do. Back to eating 5-6 times a day with a good 2-3 hours in between meals. Mostly solid food with one or two shakes a day. I throw in some fast food hamburgers every now and again to bump the cals up.

11/12
Arms
Dumbbell curls: 25*15, 30*10, 35*6, 35*6
Seated machine curls: 70*10, 90*8, 100*6
Cable curls: 80*12, 100*7, 110*11
two hand dumbbell ext: 65*12, 75*5, 80*5
V bar pushdowns: 140*12, 180*5, 190*5

11/13
Shoulders
Machine press: 130*10, 145*8, 160*5, 160*3
Front lat raises: 25*8, 30*5, 30*8
Side lat raises: 20*6 x 3
Rev Pec Dec: 50*12, 90*6, 90*6

Feeling good. So far I am just taking Pak, Flex, Beta ALA9, Torrent, and Real Gains. Test will be included as soon as it arrives. Putting my measurements up later on this week as well. Forgot, Uniliver (3) with each meal and ZMA at bed time.

Firedrake
11-13-08, 4:12 pm
Good looking work! Are we going to see you more regularly?

Phoenix Rising
11-14-08, 5:10 am
Good looking work! Are we going to see you more regularly?

Should see a lot of me in the near future. Have a nice window of time after working out and heading to bed. Roughly between 4 and 6 AM.

Themostocles
11-14-08, 5:44 am
Woot! Phoenix back in da house! Ok, sorry, way to much enthusiasm for this time of night lol. Congrats on winning some Test, it'll do you wonders. -T.

Phoenix Rising
11-21-08, 4:34 pm
Allright, finally got the Test in the mail yesterday and started taking it.

Received my Test yesterday and started it yesterday as well.

This will be a quick update with more details to follow in the next updates.

Weight 193lbs Height 6' 00"

Goal: To not only cross the 200lb mark but to cross the 205lb mark as well.

Diet: Details to follow

11/20 - First day

Test 1/2 before
Day workout, which is a switch as I am normally in the gym in the middle of the night, 3AM.

ARMS:
Straight bar curls: 50*15, 40*8, 80*6, 90*3
Cable 21's: 80*3 sets
Machine curls: 90*5, 100*5, 100*6
Straight bar pushdowns: 140*21, 190*6, 200*4
two handed dumbbell extensions: 75*7, 80*6, 85*3
Rev curls EZ-Curl bar: 40*10, 50*7, 60*5

On a family front, Carly continues to gain weight so hopefully we have turned the corner on that.

Back day is today, I should post up tomorrow and hopefully with some before measurements.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-21-08, 4:35 pm
good goals man..

glad to hear the lil lady is still doing well...

Psycho77
11-21-08, 5:13 pm
Nice goals bro. I know you'll hit it hard and surpass it by a mile. Keep us posted on how TEST is helping ya. Im contemplating a test cycle myself.

Phoenix Rising
11-23-08, 12:46 pm
11/21 Day Two
Day Workout, took Test 45 mins before

Back:
Pull downs: 110*15, 160*8, 170*6
Cable rows: 180*8, 190*6, 200*6 (new PR)
Hammer high rows: 45lbs per side*15, 70*7, 70*7
Rack Pulls: 135*10, 225*4, 225*4

Solid workout, felt good through out the whole thing. Wanted to keep going and going. Would have but grip strength gave out on left hand. I have some nerve damage on both hands and forearms, so periodically one or both of the hands will lose almost all of their strength. It can be annoying but something I have learned to deal with.

I use grippers to help increase and maintain strength, along with some other forms of physical therapy to keep the nerves “alert”.

Next two days are off days.

I can tell you that my upper back has a severe case of DOMS so that always feels good!

Weigh in is tomorrow, so we shall see how the bulk is going.

Thanks for the replies and support.

Themostocles
11-24-08, 12:19 am
Damn bro, strong back work. Congrats on the PR. -T.

Psycho77
11-24-08, 7:57 am
Strong back workout with a PR to boot. Great work bro.

Phoenix Rising
11-25-08, 12:05 am
Tonight we put it to the test (pun intended) as it is leg night. Should be shoulder night but left hand still taking a break (nerve issue) so grip would be a huge problem.

diesel1976
11-25-08, 12:29 am
Nice back day phoenix. Way to work through that nerve issue.

Phoenix Rising
11-26-08, 7:40 am
So Monday’s leg workout got pushed to Tuesday. My oldest daughter had a hard time staying asleep so being a Dad was a bit more important.

Tuesday
Leg Day

Test 45 mins before

Leg Ext: 90*15, 120*12, 135*10, 150*9
Hack Squats: 160 (total)*9, 210*5, 220*5 (PR)
Sitting Hamstrings: 195*12, 225*8, 240*6 (PR)
Standing Calves: 180*15, 225*12, 280*11, 360*6

My leg workouts are usually short and to the point. As with my last workout, I did not want to leave the gym but I could tell that my legs were fried. Of course, I also figured that out as I gimped my way out the door and then up the stairs at home. Ah, going to love the SUTAS for the next two days.

Opinions so far:
• More focused during workout outs
• New PR’s on each workout
• Want to keep going and stay at the gym longer

Themostocles
11-26-08, 8:06 am
Way to be a dad first, always respectable. Great job on the PRs Phoenix. -T.

Psycho77
11-26-08, 11:30 am
Grats on the PRs Phoenix. Great work.

Phoenix Rising
11-28-08, 12:40 am
Turkey Day

Took Test with first meal of the day.

Did a 3k walk for charity and worked on grip and forearm strength today.

Both gyms were closed, so a good time to hang with the family.

Phoenix Rising
11-30-08, 12:42 am
Saturday
Shoulders
Nice to be back in the gym after a couple days off. I love the holidays but miss the gym time.
Machine shoulder press: 2 pps * 12, 100lbs ps*7, 105*5, 110*2
Dumbbell front raises: 25*10, 30*6, 30*3
Side dumbbell lats: 20*6, 25*6, 25*6
Rev Pec Dec: 120*8*3
Hammer shoulder press: 2 dropsets 80, 60, 40, 20
Damn, shoulders were fried and feeling good. I added the dropsets because I have that not wanting to leave the gym feeling since I started Test. Figured it would be a great time to see what type of damage I could do. Set a PR on the front raises so the string of new PR’s per workout continues.

And that was a 5k event on Thanksgiving not the 3k that I put up above.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-30-08, 12:43 am
good shoulder work man

Themostocles
11-30-08, 12:45 am
good shoulder work man

x2. Hows the family bro? -T.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-30-08, 12:46 am
Hows the family bro?

x2

Phoenix Rising
11-30-08, 1:12 am
x2 Answer, damn feels like math class or my prior banking life.

Family is doing really well. Wife is working out on a regular basis, originally met her at the gym before we got together, and looking good. Daughter spent the day at her Mom's, though we get her at Christmas. My boy, Brady, is doing well and enjoying four days off playing with Monster Trucks and watching the Speed Network. Which is the complete opposite of me. Hmm...is he really my son (LOL). Little Carly is sound asleep and enjoyed everybody holding her during Turkey day.

Enough of my stuff, how are you guys doing?

Phoenix Rising
12-01-08, 1:45 am
Sunday
Arms
Cal Fit (not normal gym but backup)

Test 30 minutes before

Straight bar curls: 50*15, 70*10, 90*4, 90*5
Machine arm curl: 70*10, 75*10, 80*9
super setted with
Machine tricep extensions: 105*20, 135*9, 140*6
Straight bar pushdowns: 140*12, 170*5, 170*7
Two arm dumbbell extensions: 80*9, 90*5 (PR), 90*4

Started off slowly and then started to pick it up halfway through the superset. Set another PR so things are looking good. New it was a good day when I was sore trying to pickup the cell phone and call my wife.

Ate all kinds of stuff this weekend, not always clean but tried my best, so hopefully the weigh in will show some results tomorrow.

Themostocles
12-01-08, 1:55 am
My life is the same old, same old. Strong ass arm day Phoenix, congrats on that PR. Those are some strong tri's. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-03-08, 3:47 pm
Quick weight update:

up three pounds last week with no change in body fat percentage. Upping the calories a little more this week to see if I can push the gain a little higher.

SQUAT or DIE!
12-03-08, 3:50 pm
sounds like a good plan...

CBat28
12-03-08, 4:02 pm
11/21 Day Two
Day Workout, took Test 45 mins before

Back:
Pull downs: 110*15, 160*8, 170*6
Cable rows: 180*8, 190*6, 200*6 (new PR)
Hammer high rows: 45lbs per side*15, 70*7, 70*7
Rack Pulls: 135*10, 225*4, 225*4

Solid workout, felt good through out the whole thing. Wanted to keep going and going. Would have but grip strength gave out on left hand. I have some nerve damage on both hands and forearms, so periodically one or both of the hands will lose almost all of their strength. It can be annoying but something I have learned to deal with.

I use grippers to help increase and maintain strength, along with some other forms of physical therapy to keep the nerves “alert”.

Next two days are off days.

I can tell you that my upper back has a severe case of DOMS so that always feels good!

Weigh in is tomorrow, so we shall see how the bulk is going.

Thanks for the replies and support.

Very strong rows, and interesting journey - I'm SUBBED

Themostocles
12-03-08, 11:35 pm
sounds like a good plan...

Always a good plan to eat more lol. I just inhaled a 6" double meat sub, and I am still hungry lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-08-08, 12:32 am
Crap, didn't realize so much time had gone by since my last posts. Anyway, time to catch up.

Work has been interesting this week so my workouts are spaced out a bit.

12/3
Back
Pull downs: 120*15, 170*6, 170*7
Cable Rows: 200*9, 220*5, 220*6 (PR)
Hammer High Rows: 70*12, 80*7*2
Machine lower back extensions: 150*20, 170*10*2

Nice back workout, still having issues with my grip strength in my left hand so I skipped the rack pulls tonight.

12/4
Chest
*** I have not done chest in a long time, benched for ego awhile back and jacked up my left shoulder****

Smith bench: 155*6*3 (felt a sharp pain on the left shoulder but decided to press on)
Hammer incline press: 90*12, 140*10, 190*5, 200*6 (not as much pain, liked this better as well)
Pec Dec: 110*6, 90*8*2 (pain kicked up hard during these so I called it a night)

A bit frustrated by the return of the shoulder pain, but I will find ways around it.

My overall impression of Test still remains very positive. I am setting new PR's each workout and a good frame of mind as well. Body fat is staying the same while weight is increasing. I have the best results if I take it with a small meal around an hour before workout. Heavy meals or a longer time frame and I don't seem to feel the same. Guys at work are starting to comment on my "guns" and some dude actually asked if I was juicing. That was a first.

Test will be a part of my Animal stak from here on out, not a constant (as I will follow the guidelines of taking time off) but as a necessary accessory.

Back at it tomorrow night, going to break the rules and do leg day on Monday "National Bench Press Day!"

I am finding it easier to get the cal's in during the work week but still having issues during the weekend. It is primarily due to the fact that I do not have a fixed schedule at home like I do at work. Looks like I am just going to set an alarm clock and cook for the weekends as well.

Themostocles
12-08-08, 1:16 am
I am finding it easier to get the cal's in during the work week but still having issues during the weekend. It is primarily due to the fact that I do not have a fixed schedule at home like I do at work. Looks like I am just going to set an alarm clock and cook for the weekends as well.

I am the same way. I end up have fewer meals, but more calories per meal. I find that it doesn't hurt me really, as long as I keep it straight during the week. I hope the shoulder feels better bro. Stong work, and I expect a report on your leg workout tomorrow. -T.

Psycho77
12-08-08, 4:47 am
I smell some growth here. Great workout there bro. Congrats on the PR.

CBat28
12-09-08, 2:24 pm
sick job on the rows. That's some serious weight!

Phoenix Rising
12-09-08, 3:01 pm
Leg Ext: 90*15, 120*12, 135*10, 150*9, 165*8
Hack Squats: 160 (total)*9, 210*5, 220*5, 220*4 (next time I am going for 230 or more)
Sitting Hamstrings: 195*12, 225*8, 240*6, 240*5
Sitting Calves (machine): Two drop sets

I know I have said it before, but it is worth repeating, one of the main things I love about Test is that I don’t feel the same level of fatigue in the gym as I used to. I know I got a good workout in based on not being able to walk normal to the car, cursing the stairs up to the bedroom, and STUTAS the next day, but the in workout fatigue is gone.

Psycho77
12-09-08, 8:46 pm
Leg Ext: 90*15, 120*12, 135*10, 150*9, 165*8
Hack Squats: 160 (total)*9, 210*5, 220*5, 220*4 (next time I am going for 230 or more)
Sitting Hamstrings: 195*12, 225*8, 240*6, 240*5
Sitting Calves (machine): Two drop sets

I know I have said it before, but it is worth repeating, one of the main things I love about Test is that I don’t feel the same level of fatigue in the gym as I used to. I know I got a good workout in based on not being able to walk normal to the car, cursing the stairs up to the bedroom, and STUTAS the next day, but the in workout fatigue is gone.

Strong strong leg day bro.

Themostocles
12-09-08, 11:54 pm

Your legs are really getting there, I remember at the beginning of your journey when you had troubles with them. I use Stak and beta ala9 and get the same effect. I am full of energy and endurance through out the w/o, it isn't till later that the pain hits. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-10-08, 6:16 am
WOW!

One of the best workouts I have had in awhile.
Didn’t want to leave the gym at all.

Shoulders:
Machine Press: 130*12, 160*10,175*5,190*3 (PR)
Standing Barbell Press: 50*15, 70*10, 90*7
Dumbbell bent over rear lats: 70*8, 70*9, 70*8
Front cable raises: 30*10,40*6,40*6
Machine laterals: 60*15, 90*10, 110*8, 120*6 (PR)

One of those nights where I would eye one weight and think F it I can go up one more level or plate. Felt fantastic all night long.

According to the gym scale: 203lbs - I will check the home one in the AM.

T- I love the Beat Ala9 as well. I take it either as I am walking in the gym or on the drive to the gym. Great stuff.

Themostocles
12-10-08, 6:20 am
WOW!

Wow is right, great work PR on the PRs lol. I've been wanting to do that for awhile. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-10-08, 6:29 am
Wow is right, great work PR on the PRs lol. I've been wanting to do that for awhile. -T.

Yeah, I have been waiting for someone to comment on that, why am I not surprised it was you.

Themostocles
12-10-08, 6:42 am
why am I not surprised it was you.

Cause I am a little bit special lol. -T.

Psycho77
12-10-08, 11:18 am
WOW!

One of the best workouts I have had in awhile.
Didn’t want to leave the gym at all.

Shoulders:
Machine Press: 130*12, 160*10,175*5,190*3 (PR)
Standing Barbell Press: 50*15, 70*10, 90*7
Dumbbell bent over rear lats: 70*8, 70*9, 70*8
Front cable raises: 30*10,40*6,40*6
Machine laterals: 60*15, 90*10, 110*8, 120*6 (PR)

One of those nights where I would eye one weight and think F it I can go up one more level or plate. Felt fantastic all night long.

According to the gym scale: 203lbs - I will check the home one in the AM.

T- I love the Beat Ala9 as well. I take it either as I am walking in the gym or on the drive to the gym. Great stuff.

You definitely had fun killing muscle and tossing iron in the gym bro. Hell of a workout.

Phoenix Rising
12-10-08, 2:18 pm
This mornings weight: 201.3 lbs and a 1% increase in bf over the week.

New calorie intake is doing the trick, clothes still fit well and body is still growing.

Phoenix Rising
12-12-08, 10:03 pm
Last night was the last night of my Animal Test promo period. And let me say it was an awesome workout. Worked out at 3 AM after a nice 12 and 1/2 hour shift at work. So the gym was just how I like it, me, the night guy, and the iron. On to the fun!

Arms:
Straight bar curls: 70*15, 80*8, 90*6, 100*3
Machine Arm curls: 90*10, 100*10, 110*6, 120*3 (PR)
Cable straight bar push downs: 190*12, 200*8, 210*5 (PR)

Back to back PR are sets some I am feeling pretty damn happy and invincible at this point.

Final exercise
Two hand over head dumbbell extensions: 85*8, 95*6, 100*4 (PR)
*** I was so damn happy when I hit the 100lb mark. I wasn't sure about doing the 95's but I was thinking "F it, what have I got to lose" and after that the 100lb db's were mocking me so I had to give it a shot.

All in all, I am happy with the results of Animal Test. PR's set on each workout, a lack of fatigue while working out, along with a reduction in recovery time. The best results were when I took it 45 minutes before workout. End weight is 204.3 pounds with a 1.5% increase in body fat. I would recommend Test to pretty much everybody. As with all supplements, it is not the magic bullet but a great addition to your arsenal. 38th birthday is coming up on Tuesday and yes, a can of Test is on the top of my wish list.

Themostocles
12-13-08, 12:40 am
Shit PR, you arms are as strong as mine are already. Damn fast progress. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-18-08, 6:30 am
Ahhhh....took some time off to celebrate my 38th birthday on the 16th. Nice and relaxing and got to spend some time with my family.

Back in action today
Leg Day

Leg ext: 90*20, 105*15, 150*10, 165*10*2, 180*8
Machine leg press: 260*15, 300*10, 340*8, 400 (rack)*8, followed by two drop sets. Didn't like using the machine one bit but wanted to try it out for the drop set.

Sitting hammies: 195*12, 240*8, 255*5
Standing hammies: 50*8*3
Standing calves: 360*10, 375*8, 375*8
Donkey Calf raises: 200*10*3 (First time doing these and I have found a new favorite calf exercise)

"Fun" leg day with an increase in volume all around, coupled with some new exercises as well.

Themostocles
12-18-08, 6:42 am
What a way to celebrate your birthday, with leg day! Another year older, another year wiser? Or just more ripped? Great looking w/o geezer lol. -T.

Phoenix Rising
12-18-08, 6:50 am
What a way to celebrate your birthday, with leg day! Another year older, another year wiser? Or just more ripped? Great looking w/o geezer lol. -T.

Hmm..wiser...maybe just a little bit. I am definitely stronger and bigger that is for sure. Hard to believe that one year has passed since I joined the board to attend my first ABC event (which just happened to be on my birthday as well). Figure that at age 38, I got to keep moving the iron to make sure that this Geezer keeps getting better and better with age.

Psycho77
12-18-08, 7:11 am
Ahhhh....took some time off to celebrate my 38th birthday on the 16th. Nice and relaxing and got to spend some time with my family.

Back in action today
Leg Day

Leg ext: 90*20, 105*15, 150*10, 165*10*2, 180*8
Machine leg press: 260*15, 300*10, 340*8, 400 (rack)*8, followed by two drop sets. Didn't like using the machine one bit but wanted to try it out for the drop set.

Sitting hammies: 195*12, 240*8, 255*5
Standing hammies: 50*8*3
Standing calves: 360*10, 375*8, 375*8
Donkey Calf raises: 200*10*3 (First time doing these and I have found a new favorite calf exercise)

"Fun" leg day with an increase in volume all around, coupled with some new exercises as well.

Takes a special kind of something for a man to celebrate his Bday with a sick wheelz day.

Phoenix Rising
12-30-08, 3:09 am
Out of the loop for a bit. Kids school (lack thereof) schedule has thrown me off for a couple weeks. Will be back on track tomorrow as I am cooking up my meals for the week as I type this.

JustJ
01-06-09, 1:12 am
Good work and a solid log. See you like Test...Seems like a lot of people do, I may have to pick that up next. Glad to see you're able to make time for the gym being a Dad...I'm expecting my first son any day now and am dreading the lack of sleep ha

Themostocles
01-06-09, 1:34 am
Thanks for the message yesterday, meant alot. Glad that you are getting ready to hit it. -T.

Hoffdogg
01-12-09, 9:08 pm
Hey bro hope all is well. I have had a lot of shit going on lately. Let's catch up soon.

Phoenix Rising
01-17-09, 2:02 pm
Been way too long since I posted. So here we go on the last two workouts:

Thurs
Back

Pull downs: 120*15, 150*8, 170*6, 170*5
Cable rows: 200*7, 210*5, 220*5
bent over barbell rows: bar*15, 65*15, 95*10, 115*10
dumbbell shrugs: 65*7, 70*5, 75*5

Friday
Arms

s/b curls: 60*15, 80*7, 90*5
Machine curls: 100*8, 110*5, 110*4
Standing dumbbell concentration curl: 25*5*3
Tricep push downs, different cable set up then before: 80*12, 90*8, 90*6
Single arm dumbbell ext: 35*6, 35*5, 35*4

JustJ
01-17-09, 3:04 pm
Been way too long since I posted. So here we go on the last two workouts:

Thurs
Back

Pull downs: 120*15, 150*8, 170*6, 170*5
Cable rows: 200*7, 210*5, 220*5
bent over barbell rows: bar*15, 65*15, 95*10, 115*10
dumbbell shrugs: 65*7, 70*5, 75*5

Friday
Arms

s/b curls: 60*15, 80*7, 90*5
Machine curls: 100*8, 110*5, 110*4
Standing dumbbell concentration curl: 25*5*3
Tricep push downs, different cable set up then before: 80*12, 90*8, 90*6
Single arm dumbbell ext: 35*6, 35*5, 35*4

Nice work. I assume the standing concentration curl is Arnold style (kind of hunched over)?

Phoenix Rising
02-11-09, 9:15 pm
Off with some nerve issues, hopefully will be back and ready to go soon.

Psycho77
02-11-09, 11:23 pm
Off with some nerve issues, hopefully will be back and ready to go soon.

Hope its nothing serious bro. Looking forward to your return.

Phoenix Rising
02-17-09, 1:44 am
Legs are feeling a bit better each day. I have a Dr's appt on Wednesday to find out the extent of the nerve damage. Looks like it will just be a one day to the next issue like my hands and forearms.

JustJ
02-28-09, 9:16 pm
sorry to hear about that man...best of luck to you, get better soon

Phoenix Rising
02-28-09, 9:53 pm
sorry to hear about that man...best of luck to you, get better soon

Thanks. I have a nerve test on the 9th to see what is going on.

Themostocles
02-28-09, 10:19 pm
Hope it goes well bro. Hows the family?

Phoenix Rising
02-28-09, 10:38 pm
Hope it goes well bro. Hows the family?

T! Where the hell of have you been? Family is doing well. Little girl is getting bigger and better each day while the other kids just keep growing and getting smarter. What about you? How is you daughter doing?

Themostocles
02-28-09, 10:47 pm
I was on an anti-social binge there for awhile, and then I got bronchitis real bad. So I kinda wasn't around much. I missed the news about things moving to your legs, feel bad about that... My daughter is well, in trouble at the moment; but, then again, I don't always listen either lol

Phoenix Rising
03-19-09, 7:24 pm
Well leg issue a bit more serious then I thought. It is nerve damage from knee to toes on both legs. It is not repairable. So on some meds right now to see if that helps with balance. (Basically, I can not walk more then 3 to 4 steps without my legs giving out or losing balance). If the meds don't do the trick then it is off to therapy to learn how to walk again. Needless to say, have not had a leg day in a while.

Psycho77
03-19-09, 9:07 pm
Well leg issue a bit more serious then I thought. It is nerve damage from knee to toes on both legs. It is not repairable. So on some meds right now to see if that helps with balance. (Basically, I can not walk more then 3 to 4 steps without my legs giving out or losing balance). If the meds don't do the trick then it is off to therapy to learn how to walk again. Needless to say, have not had a leg day in a while.

what the......oh man. hope you get better soon P. What got the nerves injured? was it like gym related?

Phoenix Rising
03-19-09, 9:22 pm
Nerves were part of residual damage from an attack that hit me 2.5 years ago. It is called Guillen Barre syndrome if you are interested in checking it out. Legs feel like they are asleep most of the time, from a light tingle to a full on pins and needles feeling.

No worries though, this Animal will fight through it.

Psycho77
03-19-09, 9:34 pm
Nerves were part of residual damage from an attack that hit me 2.5 years ago. It is called Guillen Barre syndrome if you are interested in checking it out. Legs feel like they are asleep most of the time, from a light tingle to a full on pins and needles feeling.

No worries though, this Animal will fight through it.

Read up on it.

Don't know what to say man. My prayers for a rapid and complete recovery.

Phoenix Rising
03-26-09, 2:40 am
Update:

Drugs seem to be working ok. Walking somewhat normal though my balance is off still. I think this is something I will just get use to over time and fix it accordingly. Back to work next week and going to try some upper body exercises tomorrow.

Themostocles
03-26-09, 2:47 am
Hope things continue to get better bro. Hows the little girl?

Psycho77
03-26-09, 10:14 am
Update:

Drugs seem to be working ok. Walking somewhat normal though my balance is off still. I think this is something I will just get use to over time and fix it accordingly. Back to work next week and going to try some upper body exercises tomorrow.

looking forward to the workout bro. have fun.

Phoenix Rising
04-21-09, 11:49 pm
Update:

Well, I have not had a single workout for a long time. Turns out the original diagnosis was off and it looks like it might have something more to do with my spine/tumors or perhaps MS. Just started some new pills today that will help fight the leg tremors.

I am still positive that I will beat this and you can be damn sure that an Animal shirt will be on back every step of the way.

Psycho77
04-22-09, 12:33 am
Update:

Well, I have not had a single workout for a long time. Turns out the original diagnosis was off and it looks like it might have something more to do with my spine/tumors or perhaps MS. Just started some new pills today that will help fight the leg tremors.

I am still positive that I will beat this and you can be damn sure that an Animal shirt will be on back every step of the way.

Shit.

Hope you recover fast and completely bro. I have no doubts you can fight, and definitely win this.

Themostocles
04-22-09, 1:06 am

Brother, that is the definition of an Animal. Fighting for what he wants with everything he has. My thoughts and prayers will be with you in your struggle

Phoenix Rising
04-23-09, 6:10 pm
Brother, that is the definition of an Animal. Fighting for what he wants with everything he has. My thoughts and prayers will be with you in your struggle

Thank you for the reply. I am looking forward to getting past this or at least dealing with it and hosting a Nor Cal ABC sometime soon.

Phoenix Rising
04-23-09, 6:11 pm

Shit.

Hope you recover fast and completely bro. I have no doubts you can fight, and definitely win this.

Didn't know that I multi quoted, guess you learn something new everyday. Thank you for your support and belief and I will keep you posted on my journey.

Phoenix Rising
04-28-09, 4:28 pm
Here we go.... MRI today to see if the Dr's can figure out what is going on. Damn, I just want to get back to lifting. Watching Animal DVD's are pumping me up but also pissing me off. I know I need to be patient, but I would really like an answer right now. :-)

Themostocles
04-29-09, 2:08 am
So would I bro. I am anxious to hear. Keeping you in my prayers, maybe God owes me a favor or two lol

Psycho77
04-29-09, 11:05 am
Hope everything is ok bro.

My family and friends are praying and rootin for ya.

Phoenix Rising
05-14-09, 5:30 pm
Nothing showed up on the MRI, which is a good thing but the symptoms have gotten worse. So next step is a CAT scan in the next couple of days. Just waiting for answer regardless of what it is.

SQUAT or DIE!
05-14-09, 5:43 pm
Here we go.... MRI today to see if the Dr's can figure out what is going on. Damn, I just want to get back to lifting. Watching Animal DVD's are pumping me up but also pissing me off. I know I need to be patient, but I would really like an answer right now. :-)

i know exactly how that feels.... i got really impatient when i had to stop lifting.

Firedrake
05-14-09, 6:35 pm
Nothing showed up on the MRI, which is a good thing but the symptoms have gotten worse. So next step is a CAT scan in the next couple of days. Just waiting for answer regardless of what it is.

Man, you have my sympathies. I still have some foot numbness residual to spinal nerve impingement damage that I had corrected in late July '07. (I'd had a tumor removed from the spine when I was 18, in 1972, and that and several other injuries added up) The back repair was great (the neurosurgeon actually moved some nerves around to reconnect things), and I'm very slowly regaining the strength in my legs. It's taken nine months, but my Leg Press has gone from 50 to nearly 500. Thanks to Active Release Therapy, I've actually got movement and activation in my quads and glutes, so I'm walking almost normally for the first time in years, but the balance is still occasionally "iffy."

I know what Guillain-Barre can do -- but I also know what the persistence and dedication of an Animal can do. Keep us posted.

Phoenix Rising
05-23-09, 1:29 am
Good news is that my CT scan on my head came back ok. So no sign of MS or a tumor. I am a happy man.

On the other front, went to the ER the other night and found out I developed a blood clot in my right lung. So after a couple days in the hospital I am back at home. Taking shots twice a day for the next seven days and a pill a day as well. Looks like the pills might be a life time thing, to make sure the blood clots correctly, but hey if that is what takes to stay alive I have no problem doing it.

Still out of the lifting game for a bit and looking forward to starting it up again once the doc says go.

SQUAT or DIE!
05-23-09, 10:58 am
glad to hear its not tooo serious... hope your doin well

Themostocles
05-26-09, 1:36 am
I don't know I keep missing all these updates. Im glad nothing was too serious, but I still hope things start to get better

Phoenix Rising
05-26-09, 10:54 pm
Alright, I can hear the clock ticking on the wall. The body is healing and the mind is racing. It is time to rise from the ashes that have surrounded me the last five months and come back with a mother f'n vengeance. Tomorrow I shake off the rust and get this body moving again.

Themostocles
05-27-09, 1:28 am
Lets kick some ass buddy!

Phoenix Rising
05-28-09, 12:20 am
Lets kick some ass buddy!

Count on it.

Started out light and just a few sets for biceps today. Felt good and no shortness of breath either. As the days go by, I will continue to ramp it up higher and higher.

Psycho77
06-10-09, 9:07 pm
Count on it.

Started out light and just a few sets for biceps today. Felt good and no shortness of breath either. As the days go by, I will continue to ramp it up higher and higher.

So glad to see you back at it, Phoenix. Happy to see that your scans came out clean. Soon, you will be hitting hard as ever.

Themostocles
06-11-09, 1:12 am
Once the Phoenix trains picks up speed, there will be no stopping it...

Phoenix Rising
06-15-09, 10:26 pm
Train is leaving the station.....

Themostocles
06-18-09, 1:45 am
Train is leaving the station.....

Choo choo motherfucking choo!

Phoenix Rising
06-29-09, 9:16 pm
First time in a long time, a little bit of being nervous but no other issues.

Machine Shoulder Press: 45lbs each side*15, 70es*8, 80*4
Machine Front lateral: 50*10, 50*9, 60*4
Standing behind the head barbell press: bar*15, bar*15, bar*10
Underhand barbell rows: bar*15, 65*16, 85*16

Followed by 30 mins of cardio, steady walking pace (2.8-3.0) progressed to an incline of 8 and then back down again. Put on a bit of weight during my down time and being like a sloth killed the cardio and endurance.

Good to be back!!

Themostocles
06-30-09, 1:35 am
I don't think I have ever seen a machine front lateral, you kids and all your fancy technology :p

Phoenix Rising
06-30-09, 2:57 am
I don't think I have ever seen a machine front lateral, you kids and all your fancy technology :p

Nothing too fancy, just some cables and a handle. About as "hardcore" as my gym #2 gets.

Themostocles
06-30-09, 3:02 am
Back in my day we just had DBs and ourselves, up hill both ways lol

Phoenix Rising
07-04-09, 3:29 pm
Back in my day we just had DBs and ourselves, up hill both ways lol

In the snow? That is the only way to do it.

Phoenix Rising
07-04-09, 3:31 pm
Tri's and bi's:

Straight bar pushdowns: 90*12, 110*12, 130*6
Close grip bench press: 95*12, 115*9, 135*4
Two hand dumbbell extensions: 50*8, 50*6, 50*4
Barbell curl dropsets: 50,40,30,20,10
Barbell forearm 21's: 30*3 sets.

Fun stuff. Arms are burning and so glad to be back.

July 2, 2009

Phoenix Rising
07-04-09, 4:55 pm
Leg Day on a Saturday:

Have not done legs since December when the legs started going south with the nerve issues. Didn't set any PR's but pretty impressed with results considering I could only shuffle to walk just over a month ago.

Squats: 100*7 (2 times), 100*5 (3 times)
Sitting calves: 45*20, 70*10, 70*8, 70*7

Can't wait for the DOMS to set in.

Psycho77
07-04-09, 8:19 pm
Leg Day on a Saturday:

Have not done legs since December when the legs started going south with the nerve issues. Didn't set any PR's but pretty impressed with results considering I could only shuffle to walk just over a month ago.

Squats: 100*7 (2 times), 100*5 (3 times)
Sitting calves: 45*20, 70*10, 70*8, 70*7

Can't wait for the DOMS to set in.

Tri's and bi's:

Straight bar pushdowns: 90*12, 110*12, 130*6
Close grip bench press: 95*12, 115*9, 135*4
Two hand dumbbell extensions: 50*8, 50*6, 50*4
Barbell curl dropsets: 50,40,30,20,10
Barbell forearm 21's: 30*3 sets.

Fun stuff. Arms are burning and so glad to be back.

July 2, 2009

Solid workouts, Phoenix.

Glad to see you back on the grind.