PDA

View Full Version : Fiber supplementation

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 10:32 am
what do you guys think of it?

is it worth it?

i woke up today and something inside me told me get some fiber in the system
so i took a serving of sugar free metamucil

(i dont have problems with dumpin i just felt like it)

bigrhino
05-26-08, 10:56 am
I used to take it. I have a 5 pound tub of Metamucil, but I'm doing keto so I can't take it (mine has a lot of sugar).

I definitely felt better on it. I would do use them in shakes. Orange metamucil, oats, and strawberry whey. It keeps you more regular, plus it tastes good, because it made my shakes really sweet.

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 10:58 am
I used to take it. I have a 5 pound tub of Metamucil, but I'm doing keto so I can't take it (mine has a lot of sugar).

I definitely felt better on it. I would do use them in shakes. Orange metamucil, oats, and strawberry whey. It keeps you more regular, plus it tastes good, because it made my shakes really sweet.

buy the sugar free version
you can and should use it on keto

bigrhino
05-26-08, 11:06 am
buy the sugar free version
you can and should use it on keto

I really don't know what the hell I'm doing with my diet right now. I call it keto, but it's more like just eating cheeseburgers (homemade, no bun), chicken thighs, drumsticks, breasts, fish, whey shakes, and vegetables. And lots of carbs, whatever I want, on the weekend. I'm not really tracking the macros or cals. It's working b/c the fat is coming off really nicely. I'm just trying to figure out why I look puffy at times and awesome at different time of the day. I think it's b/c all of the sodium in the meat. I'm done rambling on. lol

But I really have to start taking a fiber supp again b/c I am far from regular.

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 11:08 am
I really don't know what the hell I'm doing with my diet right now. I call it keto, but it's more like just eating cheeseburgers (homemade, no bun), chicken thighs, drumsticks, breasts, fish, whey shakes, and vegetables. And lots of carbs, whatever I want, on the weekend. I'm not really tracking the macros or cals. It's working b/c the fat is coming off really nicely. I'm just trying to figure out why I look puffy at times and awesome at different time of the day. I think it's b/c all of the sodium in the meat. I'm done rambling on. lol

But I really have to start taking a fiber supp again b/c I am far from regular.

yeah bro, sugar free metamucil
you cant go wrong

Pizzalamp
05-26-08, 11:09 am
fiber is really important to help prevent colon cancer down the road and for good health

if u mix sugar free orange metamucil w/ vanilla whey its like an orange creamsickle

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 11:10 am
fiber is really important to help prevent colon cancer down the road and for good health

if u mix sugar free orange metamucil w/ vanilla whey its like an orange creamsickle

i heard dave saying
you should take the fiber by itself

and not close when you take your supps
or the fiber will fuck em

but i am gonna try

simpleguy
05-26-08, 12:12 pm
I think they are def worth it, or even digestive enzymes supps for that matter...

RenegadeRows
05-26-08, 12:19 pm
dave recommended fiber itself (1 green salad during keto) but for those that want an alternative option, he recommends sugar-free, plain metamucil. I noticed that they have a metamucil that is totally flavor-free and thus sugar free. Someone told me that you can mix it in a glass of water and it will taste like...well...water... mixes in clear too.

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 12:29 pm
dave recommended fiber itself (1 green salad during keto) but for those that want an alternative option, he recommends sugar-free, plain metamucil. I noticed that they have a metamucil that is totally flavor-free and thus sugar free. Someone told me that you can mix it in a glass of water and it will taste like...well...water... mixes in clear too.

actually dave never said to have 1 green salad because of the fiber content
if you really read him
he said that since the diet is virtualy zero carb there's almost no fiber
you should see that besides veggies
he used to recommend sugar free metamucil but now he recommends his own fiber sup

Giant Killer
05-26-08, 12:32 pm
I like to get a good size serving or two of spinach in a day.

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 12:34 pm
I like to get a good size serving or two of spinach in a day.

i eat a lot of veggies bro
trust me i never back up when it comes to veggies

RenegadeRows
05-26-08, 3:59 pm
actually dave never said to have 1 green salad because of the fiber content
if you really read him
he said that since the diet is virtualy zero carb there's almost no fiber
you should see that besides veggies
he used to recommend sugar free metamucil but now he recommends his own fiber sup

for economic purposes, I will stick with the plain, bland, sugar-free, flavor-free metamucil.
Can get a shit load at walmart for under $10. Not a bad deal at all!

I can just drop a couple of tbsps in my morning or night shake and Im good to go :D

bobbymart
05-26-08, 4:08 pm
what about a whole digestive system clense? are there any good ones out there I feel kinda grimey after eating so much food for so long I want to get any leftover waste out of my system any ideas I figure this may fall on topic, if not sorry...

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 6:23 pm
what about a whole digestive system clense? are there any good ones out there I feel kinda grimey after eating so much food for so long I want to get any leftover waste out of my system any ideas I figure this may fall on topic, if not sorry...

great question

RenegadeRows
05-26-08, 6:44 pm
Hey bobby, There is a post on BB.com about this and a lot of people are saying it is a waste of money, others are saying that it really works and they can feel a difference, the ones that claim it works also claim that they feel their supplements working stronger after a cleanse.

naturalguy
05-26-08, 6:49 pm
I take a fiber supplement daily. It's good for overall health and "regularity"

bobbymart
05-26-08, 6:54 pm
Hey bobby, There is a post on BB.com about this and a lot of people are saying it is a waste of money, others are saying that it really works and they can feel a difference, the ones that claim it works also claim that they feel their supplements working stronger after a cleanse.

thanks bro, I will def. check it out over there.

FourThirty
05-26-08, 10:33 pm
One tsp every night for me...

waslate
05-26-08, 10:47 pm
The best fiber supp ever is Konsyl!!!

Look it up and read the nutrition. All fiber and no other carbs. Beats sugar free Metamucil hands down!

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 10:53 pm
The best fiber supp ever is Konsyl!!!

Look it up and read the nutrition. All fiber and no other carbs. Beats sugar free Metamucil hands down!

how in the world would that beat metamucil?!

konsyl:

Psyllium 3.4g
Sodium 3mg
Calcium 6mg
Phosphorous 2.3mg
Zinc 0.03mg
Potassium 31mg
Fat 0.6%
Protein 1.5%
Calories 35
Available carbohydrates 8g

metamucil:
http://www.metamucil.com/images/products/sf_stofsf.gif

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 10:54 pm
how in the world would that beat metamucil?!

konsyl:

Psyllium 3.4g
Sodium 3mg
Calcium 6mg
Phosphorous 2.3mg
Zinc 0.03mg
Potassium 31mg
Fat 0.6%
Protein 1.5%
Calories 35
Available carbohydrates 8g

metamucil:
http://www.metamucil.com/images/products/sf_stofsf.gif

konsyl has 8 grams of carbs and 3.4 of them are fiber
where are the rest comming from?

metamucil has 5grams of carbs and all of them are fiber

waslate
05-26-08, 10:57 pm
You looked at the wrong product. Here you go:

soluble fiber - 3 grams
insoluble fiber - 2 grams

Each dose of KonsylŪ contains:
Psyllium 6.0g
Sodium 5mg
Calcium 10mg
Phosphorous 4mg
Zinc 0.06mg
Potassium 55mg
Fat 2.7%
Protein 5.3%
Calories 3
Available carbohydrates 0.05g
* 1 dose = 1 teaspoon

krazyassmexican
05-26-08, 10:58 pm
You looked at the wrong product. Here you go:

soluble fiber - 3 grams
insoluble fiber - 2 grams

Each dose of KonsylŪ contains:
Psyllium 6.0g
Sodium 5mg
Calcium 10mg
Phosphorous 4mg
Zinc 0.06mg
Potassium 55mg
Fat 2.7%
Protein 5.3%
Calories 3
Available carbohydrates 0.05g
* 1 dose = 1 teaspoon

either way i will fuck with metamucil or dave's fiber supp any time of the day

Northman
05-27-08, 3:38 am
I eat a lot of cottage cheese. Since it will back you up pretty badly (especially when eaten with natty PB) I add a lot of oat hull fiber to it. It mixes in and adds a nice nutty flavor.

Macrobolic
05-27-08, 1:14 pm
It is definitely worth it if you aren't getting in enough fiber from oats, fruits and veggies, etc.

I think that it would be especially good on a cut diet as you may not be taking in as many carbs and therefore your fiber intake is quite low.

deanna7272
05-27-08, 1:18 pm
Benefiber powder... sugar free, of course... No taste, no clumps, dissolves completely...

ATLMusclBro5
05-27-08, 1:21 pm
I've used BeneFiber in the past and it works great. I'd add 2 spoonfulls in with my smoothie and I'm done. It doesn't really taste like anything and it's not overly gritty. Sugar-free as well. It dissolves easily in water. Good product in my opinion.

krazyassmexican
05-27-08, 1:22 pm
It is definitely worth it if you aren't getting in enough fiber from oats, fruits and veggies, etc.

I think that it would be especially good on a cut diet as you may not be taking in as many carbs and therefore your fiber intake is quite low.

i am bulkin and eat tons of veggies and oats, ezekiel cereal and stuff
but i still started takin my metamucil

adidas
05-28-08, 12:08 am
I just go with plain old Psyllium husk every once in a blue moon, however I eat 2-4 avocado's a week, that gets me any were from 18-22g of fiber per one I eat! plus the almonds I eat...so any were from 23-28g of fiber or so a day w/o the Psyllium.

stumblin54
05-28-08, 5:53 pm
i am bulkin and eat tons of veggies and oats, ezekiel cereal and stuff
but i still started takin my metamucil

Do you feel that vegetables do not provide enough by themselves?

Stumblin

gsb239
05-28-08, 5:55 pm
there is a such thing as too much fibre. Just get it from your diet.

adidas
05-28-08, 6:42 pm
Do you feel that vegetables do not provide enough by themselves?

Stumblin

there is a such thing as too much fibre. Just get it from your diet.

couldn't the same frame of refernce and answer be given for ALL forms of supplemntation?

"do you feel that _______ do not provide enough by themselves?"

or

"there is a such thing as too much ______. just get it from your diet."

Phil800101
05-28-08, 10:57 pm
I take fiber every day, psyllium husk pills.

GJN5002
05-28-08, 11:02 pm
sugar free orange metamucil mixed with vanilla protein is kinda good haha. Thats the first meal of the day and the last is cottage cheese with metamucil. You can def tell when youre not getting enough fiber and you'll know if youre getting too much.

deanna7272
05-28-08, 11:53 pm
You can def tell when youre not getting enough fiber and you'll know if youre getting too much.

Yep, and it's not pretty EITHER way...lol

waslate
05-31-08, 5:45 pm
sugar free orange metamucil mixed with vanilla protein is kinda good haha. Thats the first meal of the day and the last is cottage cheese with metamucil. You can def tell when youre not getting enough fiber and you'll know if youre getting too much.

I've been taking the sugar free orange metamucil for the past few days and that stuff is like candy!!!!

I mixed a tbsp in with my dried egg white shake and it was like a orange cream smoothie.

I've also been putting a few spoonfulls in my mouth and swigging water. The taste is amazing!

You can't go wrong with a little extra fiber...

NumeroUno
08-27-08, 5:36 pm
If any of you have read "Everything You Wanted To Know About Fat Loss" by Chris Aceto (Jay Cutler's Dietitian). He is a very big fiber pusher. Which I agree, I have currently been putting more fiber in my diet (previous to meals). He says that it increases insulin sensitivity and also lowers the GI of the food. Does any body have any sort of numbers or figures that demonstrate how much it lowers GI? And for that matter, on how much it increases insulin sensitivity? Any insider information on fiber is much appreciated. Thank you for the replies.

(And yes I spelled the title "Fibber" on purpose)

I did not find any posts dedicated to fiber, if there are some out there let me know.

-NumeroUno

IronWilson
08-27-08, 5:42 pm
GI would vary on combination of foods. There are many variables that go into this. As for insulin sensitivity, it is a large variable in that it would vary from person to person. We really don't know everything about the foods we eat and how our bodies respond, the best we can do is guess. But fiber is very good for you. It helps you shit.

joelast
08-30-08, 12:46 pm
GI would vary on combination of foods. There are many variables that go into this. As for insulin sensitivity, it is a large variable in that it would vary from person to person. We really don't know everything about the foods we eat and how our bodies respond, the best we can do is guess. But fiber is very good for you. It helps you shit.

haha yeah if nothing else it makes my trips to the shitter more enjoyable.

but seriouslly I eat alot of food High in fiber, oats, fruit, WW's, and some of that kashi shit. I'm no scientist so I can't tell you what its doing, but i feel like it helps me keep my energy levels stable throughout the day, never really crashing or spiking.

mark!
03-21-10, 6:21 am
I've searched and didn't find an answer to my question. I'm doing a keto diet, and having a little trouble getting some fiber. My diet consists of chicken, lean beef (ground and steak) salmon and broccoli. I've been adding some green beans and spinach in to help keep my sanity. I'm looking for a fiber supplement that's not going to kill my carb intake while on my defecit. I found a fiber powder that has 5g carbs, and if I: recall correctly, 5g fiber per serving. Is there anything anyone knows of that's 0g carbs and a good amount of fiber?

C.Coronato
03-22-10, 10:05 am
I've searched and didn't find an answer to my question. I'm doing a keto diet, and having a little trouble getting some fiber. My diet consists of chicken, lean beef (ground and steak) salmon and broccoli. I've been adding some green beans and spinach in to help keep my sanity. I'm looking for a fiber supplement that's not going to kill my carb intake while on my defecit. I found a fiber powder that has 5g carbs, and if I: recall correctly, 5g fiber per serving. Is there anything anyone knows of that's 0g carbs and a good amount of fiber?

Most of the time you can stay in Keto, as long as you dont go over a set number you should be ok. I am not 100% sure but im willing to bet there are some fiber tablets that dont have carbs in them .. Check like CVS, Walgreens, ect..

adidas
03-22-10, 10:48 am
go to bodybuilding.com and search for Psyllium husk...its cheap and is nothing but fiber...

mark!
03-22-10, 10:27 pm
Damn thanks for moving this here in to this thread guys, my bad.

I bought some psyllium husk today, started on it. We'll see how that works. I appreciate the help gentlemen.

Girevik 69
03-23-10, 7:15 am
I get a good amount of fiber from my whole foods, but I still use a fiber supplement--Renew Life's Triple Fiber capsules, which have flaxseed, oat bran, and acacia fiber.

PORTERHOUSE
03-25-10, 7:40 pm
psyllium husks powder. Cheap and effective. I cut w/keto and use it 3 times a day. Very effective and much better than the processed stuff like metamucil. Pretty cheap too.

peteraugusts
04-01-10, 6:13 am
There's no evidence that long-term use of fiber supplements is harmful. If you take fiber supplements, be sure to drink plenty of water or other fluids every day. Otherwise fiber supplements can actually make your constipation worse. Also, add fiber to your diet slowly to avoid problems with gas. Some people can benefit from a fiber supplements if they are unable to consume enough fiber in their diet. Fiber supplements can also aid in weight loss because they allow people to feel fuller for longer.

Excessive fiber intake, or increasing fiber too fast, can cause intestinal gas, bloating, constipation and cramping. By gradually increasing fiber, along with drinking enough fluid, many of these uncomfortable side effects can be prevented. Fiber supplements can also interfere with the absorption and effectiveness of certain medications.