PDA

View Full Version : Your Bodybuilding Role Model?

Italianmuscle08
06-03-08, 10:42 pm
mine personally is franco columbu

kent20
06-03-08, 10:59 pm
"Viking Power" Svend Karlsen

Maharg
06-03-08, 11:02 pm
Ed Coan, Tom Platz, Dennis Wolf, Magnus Vermagnuson, Kevin Nee, Marius, Dorian Yates, the list goes on.

jeff00z28
06-03-08, 11:06 pm
mostly people i see in real life that are farther along than me. also guys like layne norton that are completely natural (not to get into that but you know what i mean)

BrotherInArms
06-03-08, 11:07 pm
Anybody involved with bodybuilding or powerlifting who puts in the hard work necessary to get to the top -yet- remains humble enough to appreciate the fans who are responsible for holding them with such reverence.

InkdMuscle
06-05-08, 12:47 am
Anybody involved with bodybuilding or powerlifting who puts in the hard work necessary to get to the top -yet- remains humble enough to appreciate the fans who are responsible for holding them with such reverence.

I agree. There are so many greats and so many awesome up coming BB'ers. I admire anyone who has the dedication and determination to live the lifestyle and reach their goals.

Brick By Brick
06-05-08, 12:57 am
Jill Mills, Texan, two time World's Strongest Woman, 2003 APF Nationals 181 lb class champion, numerous other PL and strongwoman accomplishments. Wicked strong, and a great spokesperson for our sport.

rev8ball
06-05-08, 1:01 am
The late, great Anthony Clark. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and a very giving person.

RIP...........

mdh84
06-05-08, 2:01 am
larry scott

P-Ram
06-05-08, 2:16 am
Was always an Ed Corney fan.

Magnus and Kevin Nee for PL's.

Achilles
06-05-08, 4:41 am
Dorian Yates deffinetly, My friend Jason always said "We're gonna train like Dorian Yates and get huge" .. Ronnie Coleman because he's so damn Intense, Evan Centopani because he has incredible aesthetics. Machine because he's so determined and focused and thats what you have to be doing this ..

krazyassmexican
06-05-08, 9:17 am
Evan, Ant, The house, Ed coan, Sgt Rock and my brother TEK

Legacy
05-23-10, 11:06 pm
As we all train, we all have that ideal figure we want to accomplish or feat of strength to reach and we look up to other people based on similar goals. So the question, who are some pros bodybuilders, powerlifters, or others that yall look up to for inspiration?

My top 3:
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Johnnie Jackson
John Cena

I look up to all these guys because not only are they impressively built, they are also strong and have that pure functional mature strength; also athletic. On top of that they all put in hard work and in my opinion "you get as your works deserve."

Birdman
05-23-10, 11:52 pm
Great topic bro,
I would say I look up to
1. Erik Fankhouser- He's a hell of a bodybuilder but balances that between being a family man and his job, very admirable.
2. Evan Centopani- He is raw. He tells it how it is yet he is also down to earth and is willing to help anyone who asks.
3. Steve Reeves- He is a great example of a classic physique.

J-DOG
05-24-10, 12:18 am
I agree with Birdman with Erik and Evan! Those are two guys that have found a perfect balance between training, life and family and are getting the best out of each. It is a very hard task trying to balance kids, training , work and whatever else life throws at you so my hat goes off to those who achieve their goals!

I have to say also that Mr Dorian Yates is an inspiration from the tenacity, work ethic and thought that he put into his training and preperation. He was ahead of his time much like Arnold was in thinking outside the box and trying different things to get his physique to where he wanted it.

JD

aussie bulk
05-24-10, 3:18 am
Hi guys, here's three for you that may have you googling a bit since most of you seem to hail from the Northern Hemisphere!

1. Stirling Mortlock (Australian Rugby Union Player) - So strong, such a great leader and just a great team man. (If I can get one person on this forum to look him up and find out about the game of Rugby Union then I'm happy)

2. Joe Frazier (boxing) - the man went into the 14th round with Ali when he was BLIND and didn't take a backward step because he wanted to knock Ali out so much. He didn't succeed, but that's life!

3. Phil Waugh (Australian Rugby Union Player) someone forgot to tell him that he's too short to play. This guy is an animal on the field, standing up to guys 10inches taller than him

tdubs
05-24-10, 3:45 am
1) Arnold- An all-time great and one of the few bodybuilders that had pro BB size but somehow seemed attainable and not 'too' big like some of todays pro's.

2) John Cena- good blend of size and athleticism, and seems like a top bloke as well.

3) Brian Cushing- Regardless the recent rumours Cush works incredibly hard and doesn't forget his roots, which cannot be said for a lot of pro athletes.

Girevik 69
05-24-10, 9:32 am
My Top 5 (in no particular order)

John Grimek One of the all-time classic bodybuilders, Grimek also excelled in various strength sports; he competed in weightlifting at the 1936 Olympics, and was able to do a bent press (a one-handed lift) with the massive Louis Cyr challenge dumbbell (202 lbs empty, and 273lbs when fully packed with metal shot). And he was from Jersey! (born in Perth Amboy). Strong even in his later years, he lived to age 88.

George Hackenschmidt Hack excelled both in weightlifting and wrestling (especially Greco-Roman). He was a student of Physical Culture under the famous Dr. Vladislav von Krajewski. Among his most impressive lifts was a wrestler's bridge press of 311lbs, done in 1898. He died in 1968, some months short of his 90th birthday.

Arthur Saxon Saxon still holds some records, which is mighty impressive, given that he accomplished his feats well over 100 years ago. In 1905, at a bodyweight of 200 lbs, he performed a bent press of 370 lbs, which boggles the mind. He also did a two-hand anyhow lift of 448 lbs (which was a bent press with a barbell of 336 lbs, along with a kettlebell of 112 lbs curled, and then lifted overhead). Unfortunately, Saxon suffered from malnutrition while serving in WWI, which apparently left him open to the ravages of tuberculosis, and he died in 1921, aged only 43.

Hermann Goerner Goerner remains one of the most compelling figures in strength sports, given his numerous and varied accomplishments in a host of lifting feats. He is perhaps best remembered for his conventional two-hand deadlift of just over 793 lbs, and his stunning one-hand deadlift of 727.5 lbs (not an official lift), both done in 1920. He officially did a one-hand deadlift of 663.5 lbs, the same year. Also impressive are some of his less orthodox strength exploits, like sprinting 100 meters (109 yards, 13 inches) while carrying a 110-lb kettlebell in each hand (for 220 lbs total), in 18.4 seconds. The man was a total beast. Goerner lost an eye while serving in WWI, and he spent over a year in a concentration camp during WWII, which included time working in a mine. He died in 1965, aged 74.

Steve Reeves Often considered the greatest bodybuilder of the pre-steroid era, Steve Reeves' career also foreshadowed other bodybuilders getting into action films, when he starred in his famous sword-and-sandal "Hercules" movies. A man with amazing genetics for bodybuilding, who had top-notch proportions, he was also functionally strong, as evidenced by the 400-lb deadlift he performed, in which he gripped the edge of some deep-dished York plates on the bar with just the tips (last phalanx) of his fingers. He died in 2000, aged 74.

Aggression
05-24-10, 10:31 am
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger - if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have had that initial interest.

2. Kevin Levrone - his physique and attitude. Maryland Muscle Machine is a great DVD.

3. Michael Termini - got the chance to train with him for a full year as he helped me prep for my first ever show. If it wasn't for him, I may have never stepped on stage.

Beowulf
05-24-10, 11:44 am
Are we looking for "idols" or "role models"? Personally, I've never been into idolatry myself.

U Mad Brah?
05-24-10, 12:18 pm
Arnold brah all the way for me brahs. he showed where hard work and dedication could take a good brah

Beowulf
05-24-10, 12:22 pm
Arnold brah all the way for me brahs. he showed where hard work and dedication could take a good brah

You mean governor of California?

U Mad Brah?
05-24-10, 12:26 pm
You mean governor of California?

that's right, the governator brah

Beowulf
05-24-10, 12:28 pm
that's right, the governator brah

So you have less respect for Lou who had a TV show versus Arnie who made numerous (some great) movies? Lol.

U Mad Brah?
05-24-10, 12:36 pm
So you have less respect for Lou who had a TV show versus Arnie who made numerous (some great) movies? Lol.

just don't know enough about lou brah

Biggie973
05-24-10, 1:12 pm
Arnold, Jay Cutler, & Ronnie Coleman. All of them are beasts in their own way. I'm probably not naming many of them but a lot of them are role models

Mr. Dead
05-24-10, 4:14 pm
In the beginning, it was Arnold and Louie... Then, it was Eddie Robinson... Now, it's Tom Fuller (Rage), Stan Efferding, and Derik (The Freak) Farnsworth...

Elf
05-24-10, 4:22 pm
Lee Priest - Same body type as me. Basically same height. I admire his simple approach and outgoing personality. Just a down to earth guy.

Evan Centopani - Way down to earth. Best structure in bodybuilding today. So much potential it's disgusting. His principles are very similar to mine.

Shawn Ray - Same body type as me. Again, another down to earth guy. He may not have as simple of an approach as Evan or Lee, but he had the best proportions of anybody in bodybuilding, in my opinion.

Toro
05-24-10, 4:58 pm
First of all let me be clear: I dont have anything against athletes which use anabolic steroids, everyone is free to take whatever path they believe is correct in their lifes and everyone has their own sense of morality.

I know as a fact that many people in the forvm have chosen to not take these types of substances and train naturally. For this reason i find very disconcerting that these people chose as their role models pro athletes which are actually known to take steroids. I wonder why people have forgotten other types of role models, natural pro bodybuilders whose names are unknown by almost everyone. Of course they are not as massive and cant lift those ridicolous weights, but you know what? These athletes have to work as hard as any of those well know pros which do consume anabolic steroids, in fact they have to work even harder since building muscle naturally is unquestionably much more difficult.

In conclusion, i dont understand why people neglect athletes such as Layne Norton, Jim Cordova and many others as their role models. They actually relate much more closely to any one of us, the average natural bodybuilders that busts his ass almost everyday in the gym working to better himself. Having as a role model an athlete that consumes steroids while you are certain that you are never going to take that path is just lying to yourself. You just admire something that no matter how hard you try you will never achive, as it is widely known your goals need to be realistic.

I know some of my words are harsh and that many critics will arise, but i firmly believe there has to be a change here, too many people take steroids for the wrong reasons and one of the main reasons for this is not having appropiate role models.

Elf
05-24-10, 9:02 pm
First of all let me be clear: I dont have anything against athletes which use anabolic steroids, everyone is free to take whatever path they believe is correct in their lifes and everyone has their own sense of morality.

i understand what you mean...

But if you asked an American baseball fan who his baseball idol was, he'd mention an MLB player... He wouldn't mention an athlete from the Dominican Republic, or a Japanese professional.

Same for bodybuilding. IFBB professionals get more exposure, therefore people see them the most often and admire them most of all.

Not only that but I think, generally, most people look up to the freakier people... Regardless of the sport, people like the insanely gifted athletes (or at least those who seem insanely gifted, eg., AAS users).

jeff00z28
05-24-10, 9:26 pm
stan efferding. to be that much of an enormous freak but still be hilarious is not common. And i love raw strength, i hate gear (squat suit, bench shirt, straps, etc)

FewL4no1
05-24-10, 10:25 pm
Steve "The Phantom" Michalik.

After reading the article on here by John DeFendis, I can tell you that nothing motivates me more than the knowledge that my body is capable of infinite possibilities. 'Intensity and Insanity" is something that has inspired my everyday lifting to the point to where I can't go to the gym when I know people will be there....I just want to hit the weights and never stop for 45 straight minutes: Superset after superset after superset with no rest and beating my body until I almost have to be rushed to the hospital. THAT is the way to train, and Michalik inspires me every day to do so.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:19 am
i understand what you mean...

But if you asked an American baseball fan who his baseball idol was, he'd mention an MLB player... He wouldn't mention an athlete from the Dominican Republic, or a Japanese professional.

Same for bodybuilding. IFBB professionals get more exposure, therefore people see them the most often and admire them most of all.

Not only that but I think, generally, most people look up to the freakier people... Regardless of the sport, people like the insanely gifted athletes (or at least those who seem insanely gifted, eg., AAS users).

I agree with you and it turns out to be pretty sad since the same message is given all the time to the average bodybuilders: if you want to be recognized and succesful, guess what you have to do?

Aggression
05-25-10, 8:30 am
I agree with you and it turns out to be pretty sad since the same message is given all the time to the average bodybuilders: if you want to be recognized and succesful, guess what you have to do?

Personally, I can care less if you use the sauce or not. That's not the reason I picked my 3 role models. It goes way beyond that for me.

Define 'successful', T. Do you define successful as 'getting in magazines'? Then yes, the top notch IFBB guys are more 'successful'. But to me, 'success' isn't measured by how many articles you appear in. That's just me ...

Aggression
05-25-10, 8:31 am
stan efferding. to be that much of an enormous freak but still be hilarious is not common. And i love raw strength, i hate gear (squat suit, bench shirt, straps, etc)

I just read this guys article in one of the latest MD's, with Kai Greene on the cover. If you're a fan of him and haven't read it yet, get on it. A very inspirational article, no doubt.

Toro
05-25-10, 9:15 am
Personally, I can care less if you use the sauce or not. That's not the reason I picked my 3 role models. It goes way beyond that for me.

Define 'successful', T. Do you define successful as 'getting in magazines'? Then yes, the top notch IFBB guys are more 'successful'. But to me, 'success' isn't measured by how many articles you appear in. That's just me ...

I agree with you that succes can be a very subjective term. If you consider it from the personal point of view, yes, you can be very succesful even if your mother in law doesnt know your name by achieving you own goals. And yeah A, what i meant by succesful is what u said. It might not be you and me but many other guys envy or want the life of an ifbb pro and we all know that you need juice for that. Being natural is not an option if what you search in this sport is fame or money.

Aggression
05-25-10, 9:25 am
It might not be you and me but many other guys envy or want the life of an ifbb pro and we all know that you need juice for that. Being natural is not an option if what you search in this sport is fame or money.

How many top IFBB pros out there have bodybuilding as their ONLY means of income? Very very few. Only the top level guys make it with the IFBB being their sole source of income. Take a look at Branch. Second overall in the Olympia, yet still holds down his own logistics company. I'm not disagreeing with ya, just playing the Devil's Advocate here, trying to spark up some debate.

Toro
05-25-10, 10:04 am
Yeah, money is deffinatelly not so present in the sport of dobybuilding in general. But still, any ifbb pro gets a much bigger share than a natural athlete. As an example Jim Cordova won the overall for natural mr universe and got 6000 dollar winning prize. Kai Greene got fourth in the olympia and got 30000 dollars! There is always more money involved in the untested side of BB which i find honestly unfair. Seriously, is it any harder what Kai did? You can also take the example of supplement companies which only sponsor juiced bodybuilders and do not give a realistic vision to their custumers.

Aggression
05-25-10, 10:09 am
Yeah, money is deffinatelly not so present in the sport of dobybuilding in general. But still, any ifbb pro gets a much bigger share than a natural athlete. As an example Jim Cordova won the overall for natural mr universe and got 6000 dollar winning prize. Kai Greene got fourth in the olympia and got 30000 dollars! There is always more money involved in the untested side of BB which i find honestly unfair. Seriously, is it any harder what Kai did? You can also take the example of supplement companies which only sponsor juiced bodybuilders and do not give a realistic vision to their custumers.

People would rather see the freaks of nature. If there is anyone to blame, its us as human beings.

As for the supplement ads in magazines, its all about dollars and cents. That's what I love about Animal/Universal. They don't throw up an athlete and say 'So and so gained 50lbs of dense muscle in 1 year'. Rather, they shed light on the journey itself, along with motivating/inspirational messages.

Beowulf
05-25-10, 1:47 pm

I know as a fact that many people in the forvm have chosen to not take these types of substances and train naturally. For this reason i find very disconcerting that these people chose as their role models pro athletes which are actually known to take steroids. I wonder why people have forgotten other types of role models, natural pro bodybuilders whose names are unknown by almost everyone. Of course they are not as massive and cant lift those ridicolous weights, but you know what? These athletes have to work as hard as any of those well know pros which do consume anabolic steroids, in fact they have to work even harder since building muscle naturally is unquestionably much more difficult.

In conclusion, i dont understand why people neglect athletes such as Layne Norton, Jim Cordova and many others as their role models. They actually relate much more closely to any one of us, the average natural bodybuilders that busts his ass almost everyday in the gym working to better himself. Having as a role model an athlete that consumes steroids while you are certain that you are never going to take that path is just lying to yourself. You just admire something that no matter how hard you try you will never achive, as it is widely known your goals need to be realistic.

I know some of my words are harsh and that many critics will arise, but i firmly believe there has to be a change here, too many people take steroids for the wrong reasons and one of the main reasons for this is not having appropiate role models.

I understand what you're saying. But what does it mean to be "natural"? Just steroids? What about diuretics? Growth hormone? And is "natural bodybuilding" truly "natural"? I'll never know.

Aggression
05-25-10, 2:21 pm
I understand what you're saying. But what does it mean to be "natural"? Just steroids? What about diuretics? Growth hormone? And is "natural bodybuilding" truly "natural"? I'll never know.

excellent point. 'natural' is a term that various in definition with each person. Some people may even say that using creatine is unnatural. Some natural federations forbid the competitor from using 'illegal substances' for x-amount of years. So hypothetically if the rule is 'the competitor must be clean for 3 years', then big Ron Coleman can enter a natural show, right?

Fearless Rabbit
05-25-10, 4:00 pm
I believe he`s the best, steroid-free bodybuilder of all time - Frank Zane. He was winning with best sculpted 82kgs ever. Aston Martin between Sherman tanks.

Video tells more than words:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4JA0226w4&feature=fvst

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:03 pm
I believe he`s the best, steroid-free bodybuilder of all time - Frank Zane. He was winning with best sculpted 82kgs ever. Aston Martin between Sherman tanks.

Can we ever know who has and hasn't used steroids? And does it matter? Or: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8783

Toro
05-25-10, 4:09 pm
Can we ever know who has and hasn't used steroids? And does it matter? Or: http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8783

Ok i didnt want to start a discussion about this topic. I made clear in my first post that everyone is free to choose whatever path they think is correct in their lifes. My main concern was about appropiate role models for the average natural bodybuilder.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:15 pm

Here is a list of banned substances from the WNBF, it pretty much gives an idea of what a natural bodybuilder cant consume.

http://www.wnbf.net/drug-free.html

Aggression
05-25-10, 4:15 pm
My main concern was about appropiate role models for the average natural bodybuilder.

An average natural bodybuilder can't look up to a Ronnie Coleman?

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:16 pm
Here is a list of banned substances from the WNBF, it pretty much gives an idea of what a natural bodybuilder cant consume.

http://www.wnbf.net/drug-free.html

Do they never - consume it? Are testing methods so foolproof that cheaters would always be caught?

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:17 pm
An average natural bodybuilder can't look up to a Ronnie Coleman?

I know a few pros. I've known many in the past. Some pros have amazing work ethics. Others are, well, flat out lazy. I don't know Ronnie Coleman well enough to say what kind of work ethic he has. But if it was impressive, I'd look up to him. Would I say IFBB pros are role models? That's a trickier question. Can certain baseball stars be considered proper role models despite admitting to using steroids? Depends on who you ask.

Aggression
05-25-10, 4:17 pm
Do they never - consume it? Are testing methods so foolproof that cheaters would always be caught?

Oral anabolic steroids don't stay in the system very long. Neither does Testosterone. One could use this stuff all the way up until the final weeks and drop it, and pass the tests ...

Aggression
05-25-10, 4:18 pm
I know a few pros. I've known many in the past. Some pros have amazing work ethics. Others are, well, flat out lazy. I don't know Ronnie Coleman well enough to say what kind of work ethic he has. But if it was impressive, I'd look up to him.

Bingo. That's what I was getting at. Just because they're 'unnatural' doesn't mean I can't look up to them if I'm a natty. If they have a good personality, a strong work ethic, and if they're 'good for the industry' in an overall sense, I'll take a liking to them, OJ or not.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:22 pm
Bingo. That's what I was getting at. Just because they're 'unnatural' doesn't mean I can't look up to them if I'm a natty. If they have a good personality, a strong work ethic, and if they're 'good for the industry' in an overall sense, I'll take a liking to them, OJ or not.

We are missing the point here. I did not say a natural couldnt look at a juiced athlete in terms of dedication or hard work. Please read my first post in this thread again.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:24 pm

It would be of a very cowardly attitude as well as low moral for an athlete which has taken steroids to take part in a tested show, given that they are given the choice to take part in other non-tested shows imho.

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:25 pm
It would be of a very cowardly attitude as well as low moral for an athlete which has taken steroids to take part in a tested show, given that they are given the choice to take part in other non-tested shows imho.

You know only honorable men? I envy you.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:32 pm
You know only honorable men? I envy you.

The point is that, what would make you want to take part in a natural show when u could compete in a non-tested one if you are taking sterioids? There is always more money involved and more media.

Aggression
05-25-10, 4:33 pm
The point is that, what would make you want to take part in a natural show when u could compete in a non-tested one if you are taking sterioids? There is always more money involved and more media.

Maybe that particular person can't hack it in the untested shows, and maybe he just wants to bring home some hardware.

tdubs
05-25-10, 4:33 pm
Ok i didnt want to start a discussion about this topic. I made clear in my first post that everyone is free to choose whatever path they think is correct in their lifes. My main concern was about appropiate role models for the average natural bodybuilder.

The thing to bear in mind is that a lot of heroes or idols are set during childhood. When you're a youngster, daydreaming about being big, strong and fast, you always identify with the extreme ends of human performance (I think Aggression said something similar?).

All kids watch wrestling, or strongman (not to mention superheros in comics and cartoons) and see these huge, strong guys dominating the competition. But at that age you don't know what steroids are and as such think it's 'natural'.

Still, I agree with Aggression that while naturals are impressive and no doubt work hard, if not harder, the freaks are more motivational.

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:35 pm

Give me a sec.

Uh, to win? Because some guys look for every single advantage to win, even if it means "cheating"? I mean, I hear they take certain liberties in pro cycling, football, baseball, hockey, etc. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think they're looking to be better on the court, field and track?

Toro
05-25-10, 4:44 pm
Give me a sec.

Uh, to win? Because some guys look for every single advantage to win, even if it means "cheating"? I mean, I hear they take certain liberties in pro cycling, football, baseball, hockey, etc. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think they're looking to be better on the court, field and track?

I was sticking with BB for the moment and i assumed that the organization that sponsors the natural show was actually testing their contestants but w/e.

We are getting a bit offtopic about what the original thread was about, dont you think guys? haha

Beowulf
05-25-10, 4:50 pm
I was sticking with BB for the moment and i assumed that the organization that sponsors the natural show was actually testing their contestants but w/e.

We are getting a bit offtopic about what the original thread was about, dont you think guys? haha

It's par for the course on the Wild, Wacky World of the World Wide Web, lol.

Don't get me wrong. There is testing going on, etc. But it's not fool proof. And it's easy (or maybe easier) for some to admire "natural" bodybuilders more than those who are not, but one of my points was, how can we truly know? Since we can't read minds, I was suggesting that perhaps we should look to bodybuilders as role models based on things like work ethic, rather than size.

Toro
05-25-10, 4:59 pm
It's par for the course on the Wild, Wacky World of the World Wide Web, lol.

Don't get me wrong. There is testing going on, etc. But it's not fool proof. And it's easy (or maybe easier) for some to admire "natural" bodybuilders more than those who are not, but one of my points was, how can we truly know? Since we can't read minds, I was suggesting that perhaps we should look to bodybuilders as role models based on things like work ethic, rather than size.

Yeah, i strongly agree with you here. You just have to look at some of the athletes sponsored by Universal. Centaponi, Fankhouser... they all have an insane dedication and have the best ethics in regards to the sport and their own personal life.

NJC_Manhattan
05-25-10, 5:02 pm
mine personally is franco columbu

To take a step back and answer what this thread was originally asking. I hate to be so cliche, but Arnold did so much for this sport that its just gotta be him.

Universal Rep
05-25-10, 5:08 pm
Yeah, i strongly agree with you here. You just have to look at some of the athletes sponsored by Universal. Centaponi, Fankhouser... they all have an insane dedication and have the best ethics in regards to the sport and their own personal life.

Sometimes... What matters at the end of the day is what a man stands for. Sometimes... What matters is not what a man has accomplished, what he has achieved, but how he achieved it. That's the manner of a man. Corporate has a way of selecting those athletes who share values.

NJC_Manhattan
05-25-10, 5:09 pm
To take a step back and answer what this thread was originally asking. I hate to be so cliche, but Arnold did so much for this sport that its just gotta be him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgVM3bzN_Y

I mean come on!

aussie bulk
05-25-10, 10:08 pm
ok ladies, let's not bang on about the steroid issue. Just appreciate someone else's point of view, smile, nod and call them a f*ckwit later on at the pub with your mates

korn_fed
05-25-10, 10:38 pm
My top 5 gotta be:
1) Markus Ruhl, the German powerhouse mass monster
2) Frank McGrath... Any one of his training vids has my blood pumping.
3) Evan Centopani, just because I'd been following him ever since I found out about Animal/Universal
4) Dorian Yates, With wings like a fuckin Boeing, I wish my lats were that wide
5) Arnold Schwarzenegger, the man who started the craze. How can he not be inspirational?

1Ajax
05-25-10, 10:55 pm
you guys all said some awesome bodybuilders.

My bodybuilding role models are: Lee Priest, and that "Machine" dude. I believe "machine" defines bodybuilding. You probably never see "Machine" in articles or any other mainstream shit. Thats what I really love about him.

FewL4no1
05-26-10, 12:01 am

Sorry to burst your bubble Rabbit, but Zane did use. He is my top 3 favorite bodybuilders of all time, but that is because he is one of the few who advocates for safe usage and still maintains a phenomenal physique. But yes, he was a steroid user.

Serpiente-6509
05-26-10, 9:39 am
Top three Favorites (no particular Order):
Zane
Platz
McGrath

Also somewhere there is Dolph Lungdren

Girevik 69
05-26-10, 11:01 am

Dr. John Ziegler invented Dianabol in 1956, and so, strictly speaking, any professional athlete active from 1956 onwards is at least suspect of steroid use.

Bootleg
05-26-10, 11:14 am
Top Five:
1)Arnold: seriously if it wasnt for him, i wouldnt be lifting weights, read some of his articles throughout the years and he is very informative.

2) Steve Kluco: I got to train with him. the man is a best, friendly, humble and just a great dude. Watching him train, he takes it serious, very motivational.

3) Ronnie Coleman: Genuine attitude, humble, like just loves it. He makes bodybuilding fun, a hobby per se. work ethic is sick.

4) Hidetada Yamagishi: the MAn is persistant, and gives short ones like myself the confidence and detrimination to train harder. His work ethic is mind blown.

5) Frank McGrath: He is what introduced me into this animal way of life, looking at the vids of him training alone, i could really relate to that. When i read his journey very motivational.

Razor
05-26-10, 11:15 am
When i first started doing this my role models were guys like Ronnie, Yates, Arnold. As time went on and i became a regular on this board my views were altered. I still loved guys like those mentioned along with Kai, Victor, and Markus, but my main motivation came from the guys on the board who were grinding it out daily like me whether they were actually competing or doing it for themselves. The guys here that literally became a light switch when they walked into their gyms. Those who had to change into their alter ego to accomplish something that is not possible in their real lives. And at the same time, trying to maintain a family or a steady job. So right now that's what i look at for inspiration...

Fearless Rabbit
05-26-10, 7:21 pm
Corporate has a way of selecting those athletes who share values.
Amen to that.

C.Coronato
05-27-10, 10:12 am
So much to look at as far a role model.

Role models can be different to different people.

I think someone who strives hard, fends for a family, doesnt take the easy road, lives up to what they believe in, thats a role model.

I compete all natural. Some doubt it, some believe it. It doesnt matter to me. I know what i do, and why i do it. Does that mean i look up to only Natural Athletes? No, absolutely not. Many of them look like tools, who i would never want to step into the same room with. XS Under Armour shirts wrapped around their tight bodies just to show people they work out .. not my style. If you do this for people other than yourself, then you are not a role model to me.

I saw someone mention Steve Kuclo. That man is 100% someone i can look up to. He works a grueling ass job, is married, competes, and still constantly has a smile on his face. He is someone i look up to. Being the same age as me, and seeing where he is at, thats someone i see as a role model. He is someone i know personally and has pushed me to continue to do my best, so i would consider him a great role model.

Erik Fankhouser. Im sure everyone has seen his Day in the Life. The dude is no joke, 4am wake up calls, long hours at a job, wife, and two kids. And he still has time to smile and do what he has to, to do well in competitions. Busting his ass so his family can have a better life. Thats a role model to me.

I know there are plenty of other guys who work and support a family, and struggle everyday just to get by, and make a name for themselves, but i know these guys personally, and they are some of the ones i look up to.

Balance. Its all about balance.

Razor
05-27-10, 10:14 am

I think someone who strives hard, fends for a family, doesnt take the easy road, lives up to what they believe in, thats a role model.

Great post brother. Amen to all of it.

fawaz
05-27-10, 7:44 pm
ronnie coleman,branch warren,jay cutler,markus ruhl,johnnie jackson

kevinyu
05-27-10, 7:47 pm
arnold, mike katz and basically most of the old skool bodybuilders
they trained like no other

rmt0512
07-01-10, 1:51 am
Frank McGrath and Branch Warren. Branch's hostility towards the weights is almost scary. And McGrath is just a monster in his videos.

moreofme2kill
07-01-10, 2:05 am
role models?

1: House
2: Machine
and 3: this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGl_TEj1IIc

Lonestar
07-01-10, 2:47 am
Kai L. Greene. No matter how hard his life was he ALWAYS did more than his best to acomplish his goals. He truly loves the sport and would do anything and everything to acomplish the goals he has set. He is the most humble man you could meet and I have the utmost respect for who he is, what he does, and how he does it.

The Misfit
07-01-10, 3:14 am

I saw someone mention Steve Kuclo. That man is 100% someone i can look up to. He works a grueling ass job, is married, competes, and still constantly has a smile on his face. He is someone i look up to. Being the same age as me, and seeing where he is at, thats someone i see as a role model. He is someone i know personally and has pushed me to continue to do my best, so i would consider him a great role model.

Erik Fankhouser. Im sure everyone has seen his Day in the Life. The dude is no joke, 4am wake up calls, long hours at a job, wife, and two kids. And he still has time to smile and do what he has to, to do well in competitions. Busting his ass so his family can have a better life. Thats a role model to me.

I know there are plenty of other guys who work and support a family, and struggle everyday just to get by, and make a name for themselves, but i know these guys personally, and they are some of the ones i look up to.

Balance. Its all about balance.

Took the words right out of my mouth Christian!! (Erik and Steve)

I have to add Dorian & Ronnie in there.

AntoineV
07-01-10, 2:24 pm
Dennis Newman - Kevin Levrone - Branch Warren - Jay Cutler - The animalpak bodybuilders

I also find from time to time some unknown bodybuilder from Russia and other parts of Europe with a sick physique...

There is alot of physiques out there who are amazing.. and alot of hard working bodybuilders with great personality.

Survivor831
07-01-10, 5:10 pm
Machine, Ox, The House, and Ronnie Coleman.

Joseph V
07-01-10, 5:17 pm
1.) seth feroce ( great guy, trains hard, and used his disadvantages to his advantages which made him a recent new pro)

2.) mike kats ( an old school version of erik fankhouser,..look him up in pumping iron the movie)

3.) vinnie galanti ( because hes a mirror of myself on how i wanna be when im his age , and hes a straight up baddass dude)

100jan
07-01-10, 6:02 pm
1. Dorian Yates
2. Rage
3. Ox
4. House
5. Wrath

These are my top 5.

IronWilson
07-01-10, 8:46 pm
My bodybuilding rolemodels?

I would have to say it is all of you.

Why should I admire someone because they were dealt a good hand of genetics? But a lot of people on here work hard hours and have hard lives and still manage to keep their genuine love for bodybuilding. A lot of you come on here after everything you do during the day to patiently answer questions for beginners. You are the ones who deserve to be revered for your efforts.

If I had to choose pro bodybuilders, I would pick down-to-earth ones like Evan Centopani and Erik Fankhouser. There is a reason they are fan favorites. I also like Dave Palumbo and Layne Norton for the free knowledge and help they give out on a daily basis. I feel that bodybuilders that have personality and intelligence are doing the most for the sport. Bob Chicerillo actually has a personality among bodybuilders, although from what I've seen he seems cocky.

Alright, that's my last serious post for awhile, haha.

LegendKillerJosh
07-01-10, 9:10 pm
It's hard to say because I haven't really met any, but there is a lot I like. I think Dorian Yates has one of the biggest, most powerful looking physiques of all time. You look at how thick his chest and legs were and how wide his back was and you can't just tell he built that through very heavy, very high intensity, balls-to-the-wall training. As far as personality it would be hard to not say Arnold, the guy was simply electric. Everywhere he went people just flocked to him. He was charismatic, smart, funny and extremely successful. He could put his mind towards any goal it was pretty much already accomplished. I've had the pleasure of meeting G-Diesel and he is a totally down to earth guy. I really like the way Wrath trains in all the Animal Pak Training DVD's. And from reading his journey book he is also a down to earth guy with great focus and his head on straight. A lot of the IFSA and Met-RX world strongman competitors impress the hell out of me. They train with freakish weights and eat probably ungodly amounts of calories to train like that and be that big. I also like the old school bodybuilders who brought such a great camaraderie to the sport that really doesn't exist anymore. Ed Corney, Franco Columbu, Frank Zane, pretty much everyone from pumping iron who use to lift together, eat together, tan together and even party together. Great stuff right there, that is what our Detroit ABC's feel like - Gold's gym circa 1975. That's why I love all my detroit players. Mike Mentzer I also believe was a great philosopher and really was ahead of his time with his HIT routine, and was a really smart guy. I use to love the bodybuilding magazines from the late 90's that Bill Phillips produced. He was also a very smart guy and did a lot for bodybuilding. I just have to say I love this sport so much for everything it can do for you in the gym and out. Just like Arnold at the end of Pumping Iron - "I will never stop bodybuilding, I only stop competing...it's the greatest sport."

Joseph V
07-03-10, 3:04 am

dude i hope im wrong, and if im not..sorry to burst your bubble but dont you think he coudlve used duirectics for those deep ass cuts..i mean today yeah with the help of animal cuts anything is possible...but at that time dont you think it wouldve been a little hard as a natural to get that cut up?

Sprint
07-10-10, 5:28 pm
In no order but Arnold, Franco, Dorian Yates, Lee Priest, Jay Cutler. Also Dolph Lundgren (hope ive spelt that right) because a fuzzy memory from childhood, i dunno the film, couldve been Rocky IV, I just remember seeing his shoulders & thinking how amazing they looked & having no idea what it'd be like to be built like that. Part of my memory remembers thinking how much I wanted to look like that & also thinking i'd never get there cos it seemed so far away to a little skinny kid. These days, people ask if im taking 'stuff' & say about my shoulders being "huge".
Mostly shorter physiques such as Franco & Lee, cos im very much on the short side.

Sprint
07-10-10, 5:29 pm
Sorry just wanted to add Branch Warren to that list for both his physique & attitude.

Fearless Rabbit
07-10-10, 6:20 pm
dude i hope im wrong, and if im not..sorry to burst your bubble but dont you think he coudlve used duirectics for those deep ass cuts..i mean today yeah with the help of animal cuts anything is possible...but at that time dont you think it wouldve been a little hard as a natural to get that cut up?

Sure, those cuts were unreal.. I can`t say what did he use, I just know he was very nutrition-savvy for those times. Or it`s just me who wants to believe that physique is achievable by us mortals.. Have no idea, but I`d kill for that body :)

charlievanriper
07-10-10, 9:08 pm
I have to go with early on Grimek, Reeves, then Boyer Coe, Andreas Cahling,Larry Scott, Zane, Franco Columbo, now Mcgrath ( he fuels my fire every time I see his posterson my gym wall),
Andy Haman, House, CC, My friends who are local in Phx "Troy Alves, Martae Ruelas,Young Landley Manning" Thiers Jeff Willet who I admire, John Cena, Darnell Collins, Dave Horton from England ( he is really supportive of my training efforts man thier are so many really cool Bodybuilders that dont have thier head up thier arse and deserve credit. Jeez Big John Defendis, Ken Farron,

charlievanriper
07-10-10, 9:15 pm
I have to go with early on Grimek, Reeves, then Boyer Coe, Andreas Cahling,Larry Scott, Zane, Franco Columbo, now Mcgrath ( he fuels my fire every time I see his posterson my gym wall),
Andy Haman, House, CC, My friends who are local in Phx "Troy Alves, Martae Ruelas,Young Landley Manning" Thiers Jeff Willet who I admire, John Cena, Darnell Collins, Dave Horton from England ( he is really supportive of my training efforts man thier are so many really cool Bodybuilders that dont have thier head up thier arse and deserve credit. Jeez Big John Defendis, Ken Farron,

My friend Nick Scott ( dont even get me started on Nick and what he has accomplished amazing, Scott Coles Great Christian Brother, Sergio Olivia, lol now I feel thier are one or 2 I have left out. These are the ones I look up to every day and most of these have and still let me pick thier brains. I have not even started to list the female fiquer champs, the female Physique champs that I have met and currently know and look up to.

barbell
07-11-10, 1:58 am
I have not even started to list the female fiquer champs, the female Physique champs that I have met and currently know and look up to.

Got breasts?

Joseph V
07-11-10, 11:38 am
Sure, those cuts were unreal.. I can`t say what did he use, I just know he was very nutrition-savvy for those times. Or it`s just me who wants to believe that physique is achievable by us mortals.. Have no idea, but I`d kill for that body :)

anything is possible dude..dont let anyone tell you what you can or cant do..YOU set your own limits

charlievanriper
07-11-10, 12:31 pm
Got breasts?

You do! Shrmp!!!!!

barbell
07-12-10, 5:05 am
You do! Shrmp!!!!!

You have breasts from which you get your milk. It is because of this that you partake in weightlifting in order to build some muscle to mask those tits. You will never rid yourself of those boobs and it is because of this that you are a 50 year old loner.

charlievanriper
07-12-10, 9:57 am
Lets see 9.2% bodyfat with a 4 mm chest caliper reading (for your info thats basically no fat) Your opinion and your view get more ignorant every fucking time you log on!! Your jealousy over what I have accomplished is both obvious and sad. By attacking me you position yourself as not only an Internet Troll but a loser with no life and no future!!

HMMMM loner lets see you have 1 bro and he doesnt seem to interested in you, and I have 12 bro's that respect me. Your a joke kid a Teenage wanna be with a mouth full of shit he knows nothing about, and I am a respected elder on this forum with over 30 yrs of Training and Contacts in this industry under my belt. MMmmm leaves me wondering why you waste your time here bothering me, but anyway keep on fool you just keep proving your ignorance every post!!!!!!

I am done with this little argument with you, post what you will your stupidity is your shadow!!

Sprint
07-12-10, 10:08 am
You have breasts from which you get your milk. It is because of this that you partake in weightlifting in order to build some muscle to mask those tits. You will never rid yourself of those boobs and it is because of this that you are a 50 year old loner.

Not what this place is about. The complete opposite, in fact. Check the 12 rules, this place aint free. You pay your dues in the form of RESPECT.
In here, powerlifting or bodybuilding pros or vets of the the game can, will and do listen to the guy who just lifted his first barbell 3 hours ago. Giving advices, sharing experiences and supporting each other is a 2 way street.

Everybody's opinion is worth something. This can only be achieved with everybody paying their dues.

Incidently, nobody in here is a loner. Some of us may not have met every single fellow Animal in this Forvm, maybe some of us have never met any other fellow Animal, maybe some of us never will. However, I know, as does every other fellow Animal that if I have a problem, no matter what it is, that I can share it with people on here and get some good advices to help address the problem, or even just a few words of support and encouragement. You only have to look at the titles of the topics to see this, it isnt just training, it's diet, its living. THIS IS ANIMAL

charlievanriper
07-12-10, 10:20 am
Sprint ya I totally agree, he's been making sarcastic comments after my posts for a bit now. This was my first real angry response, but anyways I have recieved enough response over this to just let it blow bye. I'll be around here long after Jr fades into oblivion.

Not what this place is about. The complete opposite, in fact. Check the 12 rules, this place aint free. You pay your dues in the form of RESPECT.
In here, powerlifting or bodybuilding pros or vets of the the game can, will and do listen to the guy who just lifted his first barbell 3 hours ago. Giving advices, sharing experiences and supporting each other is a 2 way street.

Everybody's opinion is worth something. This can only be achieved with everybody paying their dues.

Incidently, nobody in here is a loner. Some of us may not have met every single fellow Animal in this Forvm, maybe some of us have never met any other fellow Animal, maybe some of us never will. However, I know, as does every other fellow Animal that if I have a problem, no matter what it is, that I can share it with people on here and get some good advices to help address the problem, or even just a few words of support and encouragement. You only have to look at the titles of the topics to see this, it isnt just training, it's diet, its living. THIS IS ANIMAL

Sprint
07-12-10, 10:49 am
You've risen above it brother, don't give him your time, only your pity.

Machine
07-12-10, 8:53 pm
Most ignorance, which is directed at you, does you absolutely no injury...this situation is lousy with ignorance, and you are invulnerable to the ignorance and crudeness of the feable minded to the extent that you limit its effectiveness through sheer force of will. Please retain your focus and rise above this petty nonsense.

Thank you.

MACHINE

D-NUTZ
07-12-10, 9:00 pm
My role model?

Anybody that goes in and busts their ass day in and day out. That is a true role model to me.

Whether it be the average house mom who finds an hour out of her busy day to get in the gym and bust ass or the IFBB Pros who go in to work harder than the guy next to him on stage.

charlievanriper
07-12-10, 9:56 pm
Most ignorance, which is directed at you, does you absolutely no injury...this situation is lousy with ignorance, and you are invulnerable to the ignorance and crudeness of the feable minded to the extent that you limit its effectiveness through sheer force of will. Please retain your focus and rise above this petty nonsense.

Thank you.

MACHINE

Thx brother already done, ( this was a momentary lapse of weakness).

B. Rowe
07-12-10, 10:27 pm
ED CORNEY......
In Pumping Iron I thought he had a great physique, was charismatic, and a hell of a poser but at the time not my favorite. Last month i saw an article of him competing in his 60's and he looked PHENOMENAL. Just showed his true passion and dedication to the sport

charlievanriper
07-13-10, 12:14 am
ED CORNEY......
In Pumping Iron I thought he had a great physique, was charismatic, and a hell of a poser but at the time not my favorite. Last month i saw an article of him competing in his 60's and he looked PHENOMENAL. Just showed his true passion and dedication to the sport

Ha I new I forgot one lol, I have his vid and love watching it over and over. I would love to do a routine like his, perfect music perfect form.!!!!! The best ever.

U Mad Brah?
07-19-10, 10:29 am

Brah, sounds like ur going thru some tough times and are taking it out on Charlie brah. Get urself straight brah.

DEADn
07-19-10, 10:40 am
Early on my role model was Ronnie Coleman. That changed after his Mr. Olympia run through a series of events and I gravitated towards Dorian Yates because his style is one I was sort of incorporating into mine only mine was the rest pause stuff.

Other than that I don't have anyone as any role models.

IronWilson
07-19-10, 4:01 pm
ED CORNEY......

.....And how bout that mustache?