PDA

View Full Version : "Squats & Milk" Program

Giant Killer
06-12-08, 7:31 pm
Has anyone utilized this program? Sounds great...

"If you strictly follow the squats and milk program you will gain approx. 20 lbs. of bodyweight in just 2 months."

20 Rep Squat Routine
Muscle Building Workout
By Lee Hayward

One of the fastest ways to gain size and strength in the entire body is by following the squats and milk program. This is an old time routine that has been around for over 50 years, but it works awesome for fast gains. Even if you are a hard gainer.

The way it works is you train 3 days per week (i.e. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday).

Each workout you will start with full squats. Do 2-3 easy warm up sets to get the blood flowing and to warm up your joints. Then take a moderate weight and do 1 set of 20 reps. For each rep take a couple big mouthfuls of air, hold your breath, squat down and up, and repeat. As you progress through the reps you will need to take more breaths in between reps. During reps 15-20 you may need to take 5 or more big mouthfuls of air in between reps. It takes me 3 minutes to complete 1 set all out set of 20 rep squats.

Right after the squats while you are still out of breath, grab a light barbell (i.e. 25 lbs.) and do pull overs while lying on a flat bench. Take a deep breath in between each rep and really feel the stretch in the rib cage as you do the exercise. Do 1 set of 20 rep pull overs with 25 lbs. Keep using 25 lbs. for the pull overs as this exercise is just for stretching the rib cage.

Each workout add 5 lbs. to the squats and get all 20 reps. This is the key to making serious gains with the program. You have to make 5 lb. jumps in weight each workout. I just finished a squat routine like this and within 2 months I worked up from doing 20 rep squats with 225 lbs. to 20 reps with 315 lbs.

When doing this program you should do full squats. I personally squat down until the back of my legs touch my calfs. This will make the squats far more effective for muscle growth.

Another thing, do NOT wear a weight lifting belt while doing the 20 rep squats. By squatting with out a belt you will strengthen your lower back and it will be easier to take deep breaths while doing high rep squats.

Make no mistake about it this routine is brutally tough, those 20 rep squats will take every bit of energy that you have, but the gains are awesome. This routine will stimulate your entire body to grow from the stress of the squats. And the pull overs will help to stretch your rib cage and make your chest bigger.

After you finish the Squats and Pullovers do a circuit of:

Chin Ups
Dips
Decline Bench Sit Ups

Do a set of chin ups for as many reps as you can
Rest a minute
Do a set of dips for as many reps as you can
Rest a minute
Do a set of decline bench sit ups for as many reps as you can

Do this circuit 3 times and your workout is done.

Do this exact routine 3 days per week. Each time make sure to add 5 lbs. to the squats and try to pump out more reps with the chins, dips, and sit ups. This will work every major muscle group in your body and force you to grow like nothing else.

As for your diet you need to eat as much food as you can and as often as you can. The program is called "squats and milk" because the old timers used to drink at least 1 gallon of milk every single day to help them gain weight with the program. Milk is high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and calories.

A typical days eating for this program would look like this:

Breakfast
4 eggs
2 slices of toast
1 glass of milk

Snack
Bran Muffin
1 glass of milk

Lunch
Sandwich (i.e. meat, cheese, tuna fish, etc.)
piece of fruit
1 glass of milk

Snack
Granola bar
Slice of cheese
1 glass of milk

Supper
Meat (i.e. chicken, beef, pork, etc.)
Pasta, Rice, or Potatoes
Cup of veggies
1 glass of milk

Snack
2 slices of toast
1 glass of milk

*drink plenty of water throughout the day

If you like you can mix a scoop of protein powder in your milk for even more protein and calories.

This is just a sample eating plan, you can change it around to suit your own taste. But you get the idea of how much you should eat and how often in order to gain size and strength.

If you strictly follow the squats and milk program you will gain approx. 20 lbs. of bodyweight in just 2 months.

Ref. http://www.leehayward.com/squats.htm

rev8ball
06-12-08, 7:38 pm
This is right out of Dr. Strossen's book "Super Squats" from about 20 years ago. He based it on routines done by turn-of-the-century strongmen and bodybuilders. Good readin', and his routine will truly turn boys into men....lol

TheStiffmeister
06-12-08, 7:38 pm
sounds like the exact setup in the book Super Squats.

i tried it, don't bother. the diet kinda sucks for it too. i prefer a diff diet that isnt so heavy on dairy products.

Pizzalamp
06-12-08, 7:41 pm
similar diet to the one arnold has in the encyclopedia of bodybuilding...nice and basic

looks like a good routine...i would like to try it

shizz702
06-12-08, 8:19 pm
Yes sir I've done it!

Did it last year around spring time as a matter of fact. I went from 135 lbs for 20 reps to 225 lbs for 20 reps.

I started off weighing around 190 lbs. When it was all said and done I got up to 205.

It is a great program. The 20 rep squats are a whole 'nother ball game and will really work your ass out! What really gets hard is to keep the bar on your back that long, and to maintain your breath, it will leave you gasping for air afterward.

There was a couple times I literally wanted to throw up afterwards! The pullovers you do afterward are a great accessory lift too. They have become a staple of mine. Great for stretching the chest.

I guarantee if you drink the milk and put everything in to the squats you will grow!

BrotherInArms
06-13-08, 1:09 am
I found Dr. Strossen's book very helpful when I first started out. The man doesn't sugarcoat anything, instead, just preaches the value of a high-intensity, high-protein diet.

Worth getting, in my opinion. Quick read.

Latimer316
06-16-08, 9:43 am
I started this workout today and I will keep people posted on how it goes. Just finished my first competition so I'm looking for something new and this sounds pretty good and something different to try for 2 months.

T. Kemble
06-26-08, 9:39 pm
this program works. its a number of basic movements with a high calorie-nutrient dense diet. its not rocket science, your going to grow

loiacanoa
06-26-08, 10:56 pm
I'm trying this. Great post!!

shizz702
06-27-08, 12:43 am
I just remembered this: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/222/

Great article regarding the program, the author made some great gains and thoroughly describes how he did it, and the gains he made from it.

bloodgroove65
06-27-08, 12:32 pm
No, you prolly won't gain 20 lbs but it is solid for gains. I did it about 15 years ago and gained 8 lbs and went from 135 for 20 reps to....... no shit.......350 for 20 reps! And Iset up a video camera to make sure my ass got below parallel. But don't be a pussy about it, if you don't want to fall down and die at about 15 reps you aint using enough weight, then you gotta tough it out. Good luck!!!!!!!

ROC1291
06-27-08, 2:38 pm
I dont know if this is relative at all, but Machine's "Alternative to Needlepoint" is quite the leg workout.

r-ace-f
06-28-08, 7:36 am
isn't that diet a bit weak? a granola bar and milk for a meal?

panzerwagen
06-28-08, 8:47 am
Are you supposed to to the entire thing (squats, pullovers, chins, dips, situps) x 3? Or Do you perform 1 set of squats and pullovers only + 3 sets of chins, dips and situps?

/panzer

Giant Killer
06-28-08, 10:29 am
isn't that diet a bit weak? a granola bar and milk for a meal?

Yeah the diet could use improvement obviously. But this is an old program without some of the knowledge of nutrition we possess today.

Are you supposed to to the entire thing (squats, pullovers, chins, dips, situps) x 3? Or Do you perform 1 set of squats and pullovers only + 3 sets of chins, dips and situps?

/panzer

The way I saw it, you do Squats and Pullovers about 2-3 sets of warmup before this 20 rep set. After that circuit is complete, you do the 3 sets of chins/dips/situps circuit.

mcbeast
06-28-08, 11:18 am
After basic i am def trying this,might drink more milk tho,haha.Will prob be doing 275x20..how many weeks would one suggest doing this?

mcbeast
06-28-08, 11:26 am
Herer ya go,some pointers..
http://www.musclenet.com/20repsquat.htm

dominate77
06-28-08, 8:08 pm
No, you prolly won't gain 20 lbs but it is solid for gains. I did it about 15 years ago and gained 8 lbs and went from 135 for 20 reps to....... no shit.......350 for 20 reps!

is that in 2 months???

BaseballMonster
07-10-08, 7:47 pm
yeah i read this long ago, and as a matter of fact i put more than 20 lbs on i put 28.3 lbs on and that muscle is fuckin rock solid now. I kinda dislike the high calorie diet thing though id save it for offseason.

Arbalest
07-15-08, 5:41 pm
Ahhh.. 20 rep squats.

Thats all I do for legs :)

I like to do them "Breathing Squats" style. Expand the ribcage.

shizz702
07-15-08, 10:47 pm
I like to do them "Breathing Squats" style. Expand the ribcage.

That's the only way to do them brotha ;)

Hoomgar
07-18-08, 11:46 pm
This was the first routine I ran when I started lifting last August. I just recently emailed a copy of it to McFly to get his spin on what he thought of it. It was a great starter program for me and helped me to get my feet wet so to speak in the world of weight training.

I've been doing a split ever since but I can tell you those 20 rep heavy breathers beat the crap out of ya!

Hg

1samtheman1
09-08-08, 11:36 am
this diet and training looks like it works,
its got to be oneof the most natural ones aswelll
the diet would suite me aswell if what i gather is corect that you eat dairy,meet,fruit,
no carb bullshit,and the fat is all healthy no saturates wich is hard to burn.and makes you feel fat.the milk will make you feel healthy,and support your body in all ways.
from now on iam going to drink milk more than anything.
i used to come back from the gym and drink a pint natrualy,just recentll i coped for a pint in the frige thought i would have a sip and ended up drinking the damm bottle.hahah
this diets got to work.

bunda
09-13-08, 3:14 pm
that sounds nuts.. squatting 3x a week and adding 5 lbs each time.
i deffs gunna try this out in the next coming months!

for anyone thats tried it, are your legs still sore from the previous session when you have to squat again?

"6"
09-17-08, 7:30 am
that sounds nuts.. squatting 3x a week and adding 5 lbs each time.
i deffs gunna try this out in the next coming months!

for anyone thats tried it, are your legs still sore from the previous session when you have to squat again?

Oh yea they are sore. I'm on my 2nd week (lovin it so far, weight is up 1.5lbs at the beginning of week 2). You really have to focus on warming up and stretching out to get loose enough to squat deep after your initial workout. I expect the soreness to lessen as the weeks go by, but its ok if they don't. Forces you to pay attention to really getting the muscles and joints warmed up before you go. Lots of ppl don't pay enough attention to that and end up getting hurt.

BaseballMonster
09-17-08, 12:32 pm
yess its the best to be sore but not when i gotta run for baseball and it all adds up to about 25 miles a day with 15 sets of suicides

Hoomgar
09-17-08, 1:03 pm
I have this program in a PDF file if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

JimmyZ
09-26-08, 3:05 pm
Do you guys think one could plateu on this, say for three months or so? I think I started my squats a little low, but I keep looking at the end result I guess. I know I can do 405x5 and after two months I will reach 345x20. I am wanting to be in the 5xx's with squat and 6xx's with deads as well. So I'm thinking either I jump up a little more now, or do +10lbs every day on squat or just do it for three months. Doing +10lbs would put me at a more realistic weight at two months in, like 485. What do you guys think? Too much?

shizz702
09-26-08, 3:30 pm
Do you guys think one could plateu on this, say for three months or so? I think I started my squats a little low, but I keep looking at the end result I guess. I know I can do 405x5 and after two months I will reach 345x20. I am wanting to be in the 5xx's with squat and 6xx's with deads as well. So I'm thinking either I jump up a little more now, or do +10lbs every day on squat or just do it for three months. Doing +10lbs would put me at a more realistic weight at two months in, like 485. What do you guys think? Too much?

I believe you're only supposed to do the program for 6 weeks, and start out on your ten rep weight, and add 5 lbs to the bar every workout.

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 3:38 pm

I believe you're only supposed to do the program for 6 weeks, and start out on your ten rep weight, and add 5 lbs to the bar every workout.

The one I sent him you run for 8 weeks. Add 5 lbs every workout to the squats. And yes even the guys I got it from recommend you take a week off from all lifting after running it and then if you do it again for 8 more weeks you should take another week off but then do a split for the next several months as this routine taxes the CNS big time 3 times a week!

shizz702
09-26-08, 3:48 pm
The one I sent him you run for 8 weeks. Add 5 lbs every workout to the squats. And yes even the guys I got it from recommend you take a week off from all lifting after running it and then if you do it again for 8 more weeks you should take another week off but then do a split for the next several months as this routine taxes the CNS big time 3 times a week!

Hell yea it is very taxing. Squatting 3x a week on a 5x5 or the like is rough, 20 rep squats 3x a week is just brutal! If you're gonna do it just don't get greedy and stick with 5 lb jumps each session, eat like a mad man, sleep 9 hours + each day and get that milk in!

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 3:50 pm
Hell yea it is very taxing. Squatting 3x a week on a 5x5 or the like is rough, 20 rep squats 3x a week is just brutal! If you're gonna do it just don't get greedy and stick with 5 lb jumps each session, eat like a mad man, sleep 9 hours + each day and get that milk in!

Exactly! I'm thinking about running it again this winter myself.

MojoMike36
09-26-08, 3:50 pm
Look you're smarter stronger and better than me but let me voice something here. Shizz tossed me a link to the website for this program a few weeks ago and I've been doing it.

I've been under the impression that you're supposed to take a weight you can rep 10 times and dig it out to 20. Meaning I hit near failure at 10-11 reps and then I start to slow up and really start to breathe hard, dig deep, and grunt like an animal. Its hands down the best workout ever.

Thats what I read and thats how I've been doing it over the past few weeks. The premise of it to hit that 10 rep wall and proceed to push to 20 by breathing heavy hard and just digging deep. If you're actually pacing yourself for 20 reps than the gains probably won't quite stack up to the 10 rep weightx20 gains. Seriously, wheres the challenge besides breathing for a regular 20 rep set?

I've always thought the real way you're gonna squeeze that ridiculous mass and growth from this 20 rep squat deal is from seriously challenging your body and forcing it to grow or die.

Thats what I've been doing it and I've been able to increase by 15 each week cause my original weight was admittedly weak. Regardless, I've had insane results. I lost a pant size and added 6 more pounds of mass so far.

shizz702
09-26-08, 4:05 pm
Look you're smarter stronger and better than me but let me voice something here. Shizz tossed me a link to the website for this program a few weeks ago and I've been doing it.

I've been under the impression that you're supposed to take a weight you can rep 10 times and dig it out to 20. Meaning I hit near failure at 10-11 reps and then I start to slow up and really start to breathe hard, dig deep, and grunt like an animal. Its hands down the best workout ever.

Thats what I read and thats how I've been doing it over the past few weeks. The premise of it to hit that 10 rep wall and proceed to push to 20 by breathing heavy hard and just digging deep. If you're actually pacing yourself for 20 reps than the gains probably won't quite stack up to the 10 rep weightx20 gains. Seriously, wheres the challenge besides breathing for a regular 20 rep set?

I've always thought the real way you're gonna squeeze that ridiculous mass and growth from this 20 rep squat deal is from seriously challenging your body and forcing it to grow or die.

Thats what I've been doing it and I've been able to increase by 15 each week cause my original weight was admittedly weak. Regardless, I've had insane results. I lost a pant size and added 6 more pounds of mass so far.

Awesome bro! Glad to hear that program is working out for you! I told you it works! Keep me updated and let me know how it works out for you!

And you're dead on about the weight, by the tenth rep you should be realizing you're in for some pain lol!

Speaking of 20 rep breathing squats, I just hit myself a set of them Wednesday, check em out here:http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z172/shizz702/?action=view&current=Boxsquat205x20.flv

Notice I fall right out after the set lol! Squat til you drop!

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 4:10 pm
It's serious stuff. if you don't feel like your going to puke or pass out then you started to light LOL!

The one I did recommends you go immediately then over to the flat bench (no rest) and do 20 dumbbell pullovers. It stresses that you need to do this immediately. After that you get a small breather before continuing. It truly separates the men from the boys!

You guys have me seriously considering doing this again soon.

Giant Killer
09-26-08, 4:11 pm
Awesome bro! Glad to hear that program is working out for you! I told you it works! Keep me updated and let me know how it works out for you!

And you're dead on about the weight, by the tenth rep you should be realizing you're in for some pain lol!

Speaking of 20 rep breathing squats, I just hit myself a set of them Wednesday, check em out here:http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z172/shizz702/?action=view&current=Boxsquat205x20.flv

Notice I fall right out after the set lol! Squat til you drop!

Nice squatting bro! If you squat back on your heels just a bit more you can save your knees a bit. It feels like you will fall at first but the bench is there for ya'.

That looks JUST LIKE my last apartment.

shizz702
09-26-08, 4:17 pm
It's serious stuff. if you don't feel like your going to puke or pass out then you started to light LOL!

The one I did recommends you go immediately then over to the flat bench (no rest) and do 20 dumbbell pullovers. It stresses that you need to do this immediately. After that you get a small breather before continuing. It truly separates the men from the boys!

You guys have me seriously considering doing this again soon.

Go for it brotha!

Yea pullovers or rader chest pulls are reccommended immediately afterward for the whole "rib cage expansion" deal. With all that heavy breathing you can definitely beef up your upper body by supersetting the pullovers afterward. And yea, this program is not for everyone, it definitely will toughen one up mentally if they have the will to do it.

Nice squatting bro! If you squat back on your heels just a bit more you can save your knees a bit. It feels like you will fall at first but the bench is there for ya'.

That looks JUST LIKE my last apartment.

Thanks brotha! Yea sitting back more is something I've been working on. I'm just now starting to get it down to where I don't rock back anymore, and am always trying to improve form.

Yea man got all the essentials! My neighbors must hate me, but lol luckily they never complain!

JimmyZ
09-26-08, 5:41 pm
Hoom, I do do it like the program suggested. I was just thinking I started to light. I mean towards the end of the monday squat, I did feel really light headed and about puked a few times. Wed was much easier, still taxed the crap out of me but it was easier. I just want to be doing in the 4xx's X20 reps when this is done with. So I was thinking of jumping up more to start todays work out with, say jump to 275 instead of the 235 I should be at, adding the 5lbs per w/o. Or, doing a 10lb jump each day and running the program for the 8 weeks.

I started at 225x20, so I want to be 405x20 by the end.

shizz702
09-26-08, 5:52 pm
Hoom, I do do it like the program suggested. I was just thinking I started to light. I mean towards the end of the monday squat, I did feel really light headed and about puked a few times. Wed was much easier, still taxed the crap out of me but it was easier. I just want to be doing in the 4xx's X20 reps when this is done with. So I was thinking of jumping up more to start todays work out with, say jump to 275 instead of the 235 I should be at, adding the 5lbs per w/o. Or, doing a 10lb jump each day and running the program for the 8 weeks.

I started at 225x20, so I want to be 405x20 by the end.

Bro 405x20 is one hell of a feat. Here's one of the most inspirational videos I've seen for 20 rep squats, with that same weight:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6WMuI

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 9:17 pm
Bro 405x20 is one hell of a feat. Here's one of the most inspirational videos I've seen for 20 rep squats, with that same weight:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyyqDB6WMuI

Agreed, that video is one of my favorites too :)

I'd stay with the weight you are at and roll the 5 lbs per workout Jimmy. Serious bro. As the weeks go by, it will catch up to you I assure you.

Hg

shizz702
09-26-08, 9:36 pm
Agreed, that video is one of my favorites too :)

I'd stay with the weight you are at and roll the 5 lbs per workout Jimmy. Serious bro. As the weeks go by, it will catch up to you I assure you.

Hg

Yea and the man there squatting that is Jesse Marunde (RIP), which was one of the strongest men that ever lived, so 405x20 is serious business bro. I'd look at it as more of a long term goal. It can be done, but it will take some serious work to get to that level.

Hoomgar
09-26-08, 10:03 pm
Yea and the man there squatting that is Jesse Marunde (RIP), which was one of the strongest men that ever lived, so 405x20 is serious business bro. I'd look at it as more of a long term goal. It can be done, but it will take some serious work to get to that level.

Took Jesse over 3 minutes to do the 20 reps and it put him on the floor. That was no act either. Some serious stuff right there.

The Prodigy
09-26-08, 10:34 pm
best workout ever

MELTDOWN
09-26-08, 11:29 pm
good, true old school stuff. we were bangin' these out in high school add mass for the football team.

REVENGEISEASY
09-28-08, 4:27 pm
fuckin awesome i tried the 20 rep set before its no joke

MojoMike36
09-28-08, 7:46 pm
I just think people need to realize that this program isn't about going into the gym and doing the 20 reps. Its about giving every ounce of strength and might over and over far beyond the reps that you thought were feasible.

shizz702
09-28-08, 7:49 pm
I just think people need to realize that this program isn't about going into the gym and doing the 20 reps. Its about giving every ounce of strength and might over and over far beyond the reps that you thought were feasible.

Yea if you don't literally fall over afterward wanting to puke the weight wasn't heavy enough!

Giant Killer
09-28-08, 8:26 pm

Right!

v8ftmfw
09-30-08, 12:31 pm
Hi every one, I just start training with my friend for last 5 week, we mostly focus on 1 muslce a day, and WE NEVER WORK OUT LEG, I alway want to work out leg, but he does not want too. any way I was 120lb and now im 152lb, height is 5.7-8 ? I can see a good result on my upper body, had many good comment from family and friend, thanks to my friend, he is the one help me motivation. im current taking muscle milk and animal pak, I also feel different at the gym after taking animal pak.

after I read this and im kinda confuse, about

1. Will this work out ok for me ?
2. What weight should I start first, I mean should I go heavy as I can first ? i mean I never squat before so i dont know what is my weight yet.
3, about add 5lb, is that mean add 5lb each set ? or each day ?
4. what milk I should drink ? low fat milk or whole milk ?

I discust this to my friend yesterday, and he say that not gonna work, in my mind I just dont go with wat people say, I WANT TO TRY THIS !!. sorry to be a newbie on this, but I feel working out help me release alot stress on my life, it really do, i had so must problem in the pass, but working out really help me, and im really into it . thanks

MojoMike36
09-30-08, 3:37 pm
1. Yes, I'm far beyond newb gains and I'm still getting insane results from doing a program loosely based off of the Squats & Milk
2. Pick a weight you can barely rep 10 times full ROM. Warm up with a much lighter weight and do like 10 reps just to get your knees loose.
3. 5 Lbs. each time you go back for the squats. You'll be surprised how easy it is to actually add more than that from session to session. I managed to jump 10 a couple of times.
4. Whole Milk

Atleast you admit to never working out your legs, thats the first step. My buddies lift upper body day in and day out. They get no results. Meanwhile I squat 2 times a week and I still see more upper body growth because squats + tons of food = anabolic state. The Squats and Milk program is probably most beneficial for a beginner like yourself so definitely do it. Make sure you also learn the other lift forms properly. (ie. The pullovers and shoulder press).

Good decision to work your legs, skinny leg dudes don't get any respect in the gym.

Hoomgar
09-30-08, 3:44 pm
1. Yes, I'm far beyond newb gains and I'm still getting insane results from doing a program loosely based off of the Squats & Milk
2. Pick a weight you can barely rep 10 times full ROM. Warm up with a much lighter weight and do like 10 reps just to get your knees loose.
3. 5 Lbs. each time you go back for the squats. You'll be surprised how easy it is to actually add more than that from session to session. I managed to jump 10 a couple of times.
4. Whole Milk

Atleast you admit to never working out your legs, thats the first step. My buddies lift upper body day in and day out. They get no results. Meanwhile I squat 2 times a week and I still see more upper body growth because squats + tons of food = anabolic state. The Squats and Milk program is probably most beneficial for a beginner like yourself so definitely do it. Make sure you also learn the other lift forms properly. (ie. The pullovers and shoulder press).

Good decision to work your legs, skinny leg dudes don't get any respect in the gym.

100% spot on information right there my man. This brother has been following the program and it shows.

Hg

v8ftmfw
09-30-08, 4:18 pm
4. Whole Milk

Thanks for comment, today i walk over the gym ( it right next to where I work ), the lady ( she a body builder ), he tell me try smith machine first, and she show me the technic to squat, very beutiful lady btw haha ), i warm up, here wat I try

50+the smith machine for 20 rep
55 for 20 rep
60 for 20 rep

and do chin up, rest 1 min do dip, rest 1 min and do the decline thing, do 3 time, hell im sweet like never before, my leg feel sore, is that how it support to be ? next week imma start off with 60lb and add 5lb each time I squat, BE HONEST GUY, I FEEL GUITY FOR USING SMITHMACHINE FOR SQUAT AND USING THE MACHINE THAT HAD WEIGH FOR CHIN UP AND DIP, put im using very small weight, im weight 153 and i put like 25lb for using the chin up and dip, its ok to start out like that ? thanks

MojoMike36
09-30-08, 6:43 pm
Thanks for comment, today i walk over the gym ( it right next to where I work ), the lady ( she a body builder ), he tell me try smith machine first, and she show me the technic to squat, very beutiful lady btw haha ), i warm up, here wat I try

50+the smith machine for 20 rep
55 for 20 rep
60 for 20 rep

and do chin up, rest 1 min do dip, rest 1 min and do the decline thing, do 3 time, hell im sweet like never before, my leg feel sore, is that how it support to be ? next week imma start off with 60lb and add 5lb each time I squat, BE HONEST GUY, I FEEL GUITY FOR USING SMITHMACHINE FOR SQUAT AND USING THE MACHINE THAT HAD WEIGH FOR CHIN UP AND DIP, put im using very small weight, im weight 153 and i put like 25lb for using the chin up and dip, its ok to start out like that ? thanks

everyone has to start somewhere, just keep adding weight

v8ftmfw
09-30-08, 10:38 pm
everyone has to start somewhere, just keep adding weight

thanks guy, one more thing, the guild say " 2 slices of toast " what bread do i need , whole grain or wheat or white bread, and I do not have a toast machine, can i just throw in the oven and when it change color i take it out.

shizz702
09-30-08, 10:47 pm
The smith machine ain't gonna cut it bud. You need to squat with free weights! Start off with just the bar if need be.

JimmyZ
10-02-08, 7:24 am
Here's how it should go:

Warm Up Squat = 2x10 @ light weight
Squat 1x20 @ ???? Take your 10 rep max weight and do 10 more. Take a deep breath, do one rep, exhale, take another deep breath and do 19 more reps, each time taking a deep breath in between reps.
Immediately do Dumbell Pullovers 1x20 @ 25lbs Same breathing technique as the squats. The idea here is to stretch your rib cage, making your chest bigger as well.

Rest 1 min

Done in this order, then repeat Chins/Dips/Decline Sit Ups
Chin ups to failure
Rest 1 min
Dips to failure
Rest 1 min
Decline Sit ups to failure

Repeat just the chins/dips/decline two more times and the w/o is done.

Squats and the DB pull overs are both 1x20, no more. The rest = chins/dips/decline sit ups are three sets, but super set. Whole milk is best so drink plenty of it. Also, on the squat, you can do the warm ups on the smith, if that helps you get your motion down. You want to get all the way down, touch your ass to your calves. Do this on the smith for a few times to watch your self, then move to the free weight squat warm up. Always do your work out with a free weight squat. Do this w/o Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs/Sat. You want to have atleast one day rest in between w/o's. Eat alot more than usual too. Do this program for 6 weeks and take a week off from the gym, then repeat if you want to keep gaining like you have.

v8ftmfw
10-02-08, 4:21 pm
Here's how it should go:

Warm Up Squat = 2x10 @ light weight
Squat 1x20 @ ???? Take your 10 rep max weight and do 10 more. Take a deep breath, do one rep, exhale, take another deep breath and do 19 more reps, each time taking a deep breath in between reps.
Immediately do Dumbell Pullovers 1x20 @ 25lbs Same breathing technique as the squats. The idea here is to stretch your rib cage, making your chest bigger as well.

Rest 1 min

Done in this order, then repeat Chins/Dips/Decline Sit Ups
Chin ups to failure
Rest 1 min
Dips to failure
Rest 1 min
Decline Sit ups to failure

Repeat just the chins/dips/decline two more times and the w/o is done.

Squats and the DB pull overs are both 1x20, no more. The rest = chins/dips/decline sit ups are three sets, but super set. Whole milk is best so drink plenty of it. Also, on the squat, you can do the warm ups on the smith, if that helps you get your motion down. You want to get all the way down, touch your ass to your calves. Do this on the smith for a few times to watch your self, then move to the free weight squat warm up. Always do your work out with a free weight squat. Do this w/o Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs/Sat. You want to have atleast one day rest in between w/o's. Eat alot more than usual too. Do this program for 6 weeks and take a week off from the gym, then repeat if you want to keep gaining like you have.

my english bad, but from what I understand is

warm up do 2x10 light weight
1x20 my max weight
1x20 DB pull over

chin, dip, decline 3x

is that what you say ? wat about add 5lb thing, is that for next time ? i mean if monday I do 100lb, then wed i need to do 105lb, and friday I do 110lb ?

Hoomgar
10-02-08, 4:25 pm
my english bad, but from what I understand is

warm up do 2x10 light weight
1x20 my max weight
1x20 DB pull over

chin, dip, decline 3x

is that what you say ? wat about add 5lb thing, is that for next time ? i mean if monday I do 100lb, then wed i need to do 105lb, and friday I do 110lb ?

Exactly. Add 5 lbs to your squat bar every workout.

v8ftmfw
10-03-08, 12:28 am
Exactly. Add 5 lbs to your squat bar every workout.

Thanks for clear that out for me.

since im in this topic, I dont want created another one, please give me a comment on this, I feel bad about this situation.

I had really good friend, he help me gain weight that I never gain before, he show me how to work out and how to using the machine, he alway call me " say let hit the gym " we work out 5 day a week, chest, bicep, tripcep, back, and shoulder, but never legs ! I dont ask question about doing legs, I work out with him like that for a while, I feel gain a good size upper part, I talk with couple personal trainer, and they suprise that i never work out legs on my routin, for the last 2 month, im alway stay 150, I cant gain any weight, they told me that I need to work out legs, and it make my back stronger too, after I read this topic " squat and milk " I talk to my friend and he say it not gonna work, he try before and it not work, and he dont want me wasted my time. beside my friend had problem control himself, and I saw it almost every day, and I cant deal with it, I told him imma try this routin and i cant work out with his routin any more, he mad and keep telling me that I wasted my time doing what im about to do, I KNOW I OWN HIM A BIG TIME FOR HELPING ME IN THE GYM, GIVE ME ADVICE AND MOTIVATION, we just had 2 diffrent work out routin. beside he had problem that I cant deal with, i try to help him but it not work.

last week I start drinking milk and doing squat, eat alot more ( chicken leg, tuna, beef, oatmilk ( YUK!!!!), taking pak, and real gain, my legs been hurt for last 3 day, and i gain about 2lb in the morning, I feel good. I feel I can lift more weight. I discust this to my friend and he say that leg and squat will make me fat, cant be lean. anyway, in my mind I feel guity that I dont work out with him any more, he help me alot, but we both had different schelude and goal.

any common please post.

JimmyZ
10-08-08, 5:42 pm
v8, If he won't listen to reason than just do your thing. This program works, if you do it right. He prob didn't do it right and got mediocre to no results because of it. If you add the 5lbs to your squat every w/o then that will force your body to grow. Eat to support this additional mass you want to gain. Keep pumpin at it. When you gain 20 or so lbs, then go talk to him and ask him if he wants to join you when you start the program up again after a week off. The good thing about this program, is that it works for beginners up to intermediates.

ROC1291
10-08-08, 8:09 pm
Thanks for clear that out for me.

since im in this topic, I dont want created another one, please give me a comment on this, I feel bad about this situation.

I had really good friend, he help me gain weight that I never gain before, he show me how to work out and how to using the machine, he alway call me " say let hit the gym " we work out 5 day a week, chest, bicep, tripcep, back, and shoulder, but never legs ! I dont ask question about doing legs, I work out with him like that for a while, I feel gain a good size upper part, I talk with couple personal trainer, and they suprise that i never work out legs on my routin, for the last 2 month, im alway stay 150, I cant gain any weight, they told me that I need to work out legs, and it make my back stronger too, after I read this topic " squat and milk " I talk to my friend and he say it not gonna work, he try before and it not work, and he dont want me wasted my time. beside my friend had problem control himself, and I saw it almost every day, and I cant deal with it, I told him imma try this routin and i cant work out with his routin any more, he mad and keep telling me that I wasted my time doing what im about to do, I KNOW I OWN HIM A BIG TIME FOR HELPING ME IN THE GYM, GIVE ME ADVICE AND MOTIVATION, we just had 2 diffrent work out routin. beside he had problem that I cant deal with, i try to help him but it not work.

last week I start drinking milk and doing squat, eat alot more ( chicken leg, tuna, beef, oatmilk ( YUK!!!!), taking pak, and real gain, my legs been hurt for last 3 day, and i gain about 2lb in the morning, I feel good. I feel I can lift more weight. I discust this to my friend and he say that leg and squat will make me fat, cant be lean. anyway, in my mind I feel guity that I dont work out with him any more, he help me alot, but we both had different schelude and goal.

any common please post.

You're friend probably reads Men's Health and takes MuscleTech products as well. Tell Joe World that Ice Cream in your Protein "Drinks" doesn't help you gain muscle either.

Keep doing your thing training legs brother, it will pay off in the long run when you're 200+ and he's still banging out 15lb Dumbell Concentration Curls

randombaz
10-21-08, 8:02 am
hey all,

not perfect but i got my diet in pretty good shape recently. i'm now trying the squat and milk programe, and personally i'm having at least 2 litres of whole milk if i can a day, just spread out throughout the time.

thing is, it is very filling and now im not eating whole food as often, maybe every 3 hours maybe 3.5/4 max. but calories on the milk a day is about 2000 or more in milk alone.

i'm bulking, is this ok? i've heard good things about milk, and this programme, i just can't get more food in me else i'll prob be ill. i have a fast metabolism so i don't worry about gaining fat

sanga
10-21-08, 8:10 am
If that was me I`d eat 6 meals a day with either a pint of milk between meals or with each meal.

Another high calorie food is peanut butter, you could add that in too.

IronWilson
10-21-08, 9:05 am
try throwing oats, bananas and whey into the blender with your milk. It makes a really tasty weight gainer shake that can help you get in more food.

randombaz
10-21-08, 10:36 am
ok cheers guys!

v8ftmfw
10-21-08, 2:44 pm
Dont you have problem with diary ? I had bad stomach if i drink a gallon a day.

randombaz
10-21-08, 4:44 pm
nope, i'm a lucky boy it seems :)

ironshaolin
10-26-08, 7:57 pm
i did this routine for a while, its nuts. For my goals I went down to a 2x weekly routine, my recovery isn't great and my legs hurt for days afterwards. I went from squatting 225x20 to 275x20 in 6 weeks. The trick is to do 20 reps with a weight you can normally handle for only 10. Don't be a bitch and add a pussy weight on there you could do for 25 reps. Then I did military press and pullups after one workout, and bench press and rows after the other. I would add a few scoops of protein to the plan, but I did get up to drinking about 2 quarts of 1% milk a day, and that DEFINATELY made me gain some mass. Had I followed it a bit longer I'm sure I would've blown up, but between my martial arts training 2x a week squatting was too much.

Hoomgar
10-27-08, 11:57 am
Had I followed it a bit longer I'm sure I would've blown up, but between my martial arts training 2x a week squatting was too much.

Yea man I'll give ya that right there. If you got anything else at all goin on during this program you're getting into the red. This requires that it be the only thing you're doing during those 6 to 8 weeks or so. Good on ya for seeing that before you burnt out.

Hg

Aggression
10-30-08, 1:58 pm
I don't even really drink milk much anymore. It makes me too bloated and full. My shakes were always made with milk in them, not anymore. If I have a whey shake w/ milk prior to bed, I'll actually wake up still some-what full and bloated.

Factory
10-30-08, 2:47 pm
Some ppl bloat a bit when eating excess dairy, watch that.

Aggression
10-30-08, 4:11 pm
Some ppl bloat a bit when eating excess dairy, watch that.

Yup, I do. Too much milk at one time is bad news for me.

Factory
10-30-08, 4:17 pm
The added calories help a ton when bulking though. Try to just expand your stomach a bit, In my opinion, eating is by far the hardest part of my day when bulking. And I'm a big eater...

Wasteland
09-21-09, 1:43 pm
Bumping this for it's old school approach to nutrition and lifting.

Hoomgar
09-21-09, 2:12 pm
I cut my teeth on this one. This program is what introduced me to the world of weight lifting.

Hg

G Diesel
09-21-09, 2:33 pm
Yup, I do. Too much milk at one time is bad news for me.

I think milk is a phenomenal tool for building your base and putting on off-season mass, but it fucks my stomach up too if I ingest it in excess. I could do smaller amounts more often though if I could spread em out and not have them on an empty stomach. Were I drinking it with a meal, I could probably get away with 8-10 oz 3-4 times a day. 4 or 5 extra cups of milk per day will make a worthwhile difference in your protein and caloric intake.

Peace, G

willah
09-21-09, 11:53 pm
This might be a program for me to try.. My legs have been stubborn and my squat isn't nearly what I'd like to be pushing, I'm hitting 135 x 12 to 20 right now (depends on the day) and my goal is 225+ come spring time - big jump, but I think I can do it. Current BW is 190 (8-10% BF, my metabolism is just stupid) and goal by spring is 200+. Oh, and I love milk.. I can down three to four big glasses in a sitting no problem.

Anyone with experience on the program, is it okay to throw in a fourth day for accessory work? Or is it better to ride it out as is for 6-8 weeks?

Also, just throwing this out there, "Deadlifts & Milk"? Bad idea?

Hoomgar
09-22-09, 10:41 am
This might be a program for me to try.. My legs have been stubborn and my squat isn't nearly what I'd like to be pushing, I'm hitting 135 x 12 to 20 right now (depends on the day) and my goal is 225+ come spring time - big jump, but I think I can do it. Current BW is 190 (8-10% BF, my metabolism is just stupid) and goal by spring is 200+. Oh, and I love milk.. I can down three to four big glasses in a sitting no problem.

Anyone with experience on the program, is it okay to throw in a fourth day for accessory work? Or is it better to ride it out as is for 6-8 weeks?

Also, just throwing this out there, "Deadlifts & Milk"? Bad idea?

I'd stick with the routine. If you follow it you will find that you are hammering your entire body really hard 3 times a week. You need the recovery. But if you feel you have the space for it there should be a problem with it. Everyone is different. As for deads & Milk, doesn't sound bad to me but I would make that another routine for another time.

healthykinfolk
05-01-17, 10:53 am
sounds like the exact setup in the book Super Squats.

i tried it, don't bother. the diet kinda sucks for it too. i prefer a diff diet that isnt so heavy on dairy products.

exactly I try to stay away from the dairy products also but it seems like a good workout though. I'm still stuck on my squat workout routine (http://healthykinfolk.com/bodyweight-squat-workout-routine) though.

Jay Nera
06-30-17, 2:06 am
Has anyone here done this for a substantial period of time or substantial gains? Its a classic, but ive never actually known anyone who stuck to it.

Rex
06-30-17, 6:27 pm
Has anyone here done this for a substantial period of time or substantial gains? Its a classic, but ive never actually known anyone who stuck to it.

Me neither. But I have read the book when I started training. The approach didnīt seem right to me though.
I rather followed Arnoldīs Encyclopedia. However, I did incorporate 20 rep squats on and off.