PDA

View Full Version : Workout/Training Partner Stuff

saintsplaya
02-03-07, 11:49 pm
my workout partner is also my best friend but lately hes been really annoying me. we will set a time to go workout which is usually later on in the day a hour or so before our gym closes, and then he will not show up or answer his phone. or if he answeres he will say he is coming to pick me up since we live so close and wont show up forever. hes got a girlfriend which he is stuck to like glue who i think, i mean i know is the main part of the problem, but what should i do about him? my workouts suffer from waiting all day to go workout when i could go earlier with other people and then not getting to go hardcore without a spotter when he sells out. should i ditch him all together as a friend or just a workout patrner? hes becoming unreliable with other things as well as with working out. inform me on what yall would do in my shoes.. thanks brothers!!

RedIron 392
02-04-07, 12:12 am
Are you in this for yourself or your buddy? If it's for yourself, fuck him!

Later

Enforcer25
02-04-07, 2:25 am
I would let him know he's fucking with my workouts and it pisses you off. I think now he's into the girl and not working out, fine, let him know you understand and go workout when it's good for you, if he gets pissed then you have your answer. We all have families, g/f, wives, etc. and the true family, g/f, wife understands your desire to workout and the way you feel about it. Hell, my wife knows how important my workouts are and has changed things around to be sure I get my workout in. Relationships are a two-way street and when it becomes one-way, it's time to go. I can't tell you what to do with the rest of the friendship, but as far as work out partner, my advice is cut him loose and get back to working out animal style brother.

M60
02-04-07, 3:09 am
One of my friends was like that, but I never let it interfere with what I had to do. If anything it fueled my workouts even more without him there. Besides the few times he was there all he would do is shoot the bull with other assholes there then ditch me to go play basketball.

Screw your friend, man. He obviously isn't worth your time if he keeps flakin' out on you like that.

Thumperz
02-04-07, 3:20 am
yea dude that stinks. Don't waste your time with him as a partner. From a freind standpoint just tell him and be honest.

I'd kill for a workout partner. Esp one who is an animal and wants to lift heavy and hard. I had a good buddy but he decided being a plumber was boring and he joined the Miltary. I can't blame him shooting a gun would be fun.

never_2_big
02-04-07, 3:44 am
tell him how it is and drop his arse. this is supposed to be your time man so dont let him drag you down

BigTruck
02-04-07, 6:24 am
its almost better to have a partener that you don't like and arent friends with. someone you meet at the gym -- who can spot you when you need it -- yell at you when you need it -- can motivate you when you need. when its all said and done, you can leave their ass in the parking lot.

Q
02-04-07, 7:01 am
I stopped training with my partner last fall. Our class schedules didnt match up that semester and we had different goals (I want to get big, he just wants to stay in shape). His gf would also be training for skiing while we were at the gym so he would always be talking with her. We live in the same house and are still friends. So I would say if you are friends beyond the gym keep chilling with him and go to the gym with someone more focused, if not, its up to you.

COLE
02-04-07, 9:56 am
my workout partner is also my best friend but lately hes been really annoying me. we will set a time to go workout which is usually later on in the day a hour or so before our gym closes, and then he will not show up or answer his phone. or if he answeres he will say he is coming to pick me up since we live so close and wont show up forever. hes got a girlfriend which he is stuck to like glue who i think, i mean i know is the main part of the problem, but what should i do about him? my workouts suffer from waiting all day to go workout when i could go earlier with other people and then not getting to go hardcore without a spotter when he sells out. should i ditch him all together as a friend or just a workout patrner? hes becoming unreliable with other things as well as with working out. inform me on what yall would do in my shoes.. thanks brothers!!

I would have to drop him as a workout partner and see how things go as just friends. You cant depend on anyone but yourself when it comes to meeting your goals. It is up to you what you get out of your workouts. Yeah its nice to have that extra spot or someone to help push you but if you are truly serious about your training and meeting the goals you set then you will make do with out that particular workout partner. I have several guys in the gym that want to workout with me and that's fine but I let them know up front I don't have time for BS, so if they are going to workout with me then that is exactly what we are going to do, workout. If you don't have a spot just rack the weight and wait for about 10 seconds and rep out a couple more. Do what you gotta do to get it done.

Personally I think you should invest in a ipod and let that be your workout partner along with the iron, it will be there anytime you need it.

Good luck Bro!

Machine
02-04-07, 10:17 am
I always forced myself to embrace the concept of isolation and solitude as it relates to my training. After all you are born alone...you die alone...you should train alone. Now I'm not saying you cant use a partner...I will say this though...Every significant advance in my training , be it in wieght or reps or intensity has come when I was alone. You will find it easier to ease into a manic zone when you are by yourself...you can fully become aware of your surroundings and use all of your senses to absorb power. Mozart probably didnt compose the worlds most beautiful symphonies with his buddy pointing out the girls on the treadmills. You cannot tie your training to anything or anyone outside yourself because then without knowing it...you already set limits on yourself and ultimately your growth. This is a loner's game for me...I dont need any friends...I dont want any dead wieght and I dont have time for negative energy. Do yourself a favor...buy a dog and train alone.

MACHINE

Toni69
02-04-07, 10:49 am
I agree with Machine...I rather train alone but at times when I want to go heavier, like on my bench or squats, I wish I had that one reliable spot to back me up, so sometimes it hinder me from saying screw it, do it yourself, so what if you can't get the full rep, at least I tried. But on the same note, I don't want 195 bench crushing my chest either.

I find that when I ask a dude in the gym for a spot they automatically think they are my "partner." This bugs the hell out of me. Of course, me as nice a person as I am, I allow people to follow me around. Eventually, they die off 'cause I wear them out (believe it or not). Its kind of like when a piece of a lizard's tail is cut off and then it grows back...one partner falls off and soon, another sucker is tagging along behind you.

I hope that made sense...sometimes I think faster than I type...or is it the other way around..whatever..you get my drift right?

GADO
02-04-07, 3:43 pm
I had the exact same problem. My friend would always blow me off just before it was time to go and train. He wouldn't answer the phone... wouldn't call or anything and then later give me some bullshit excuse about how his car broke down or he lost his phone... he's just one of those dicks that only train to look good in a t-shirt.

In short, I made the decision to drop my reliance on someone else to train with me. I realized how much I was being held back, mainly because his desire to train didn't match my own, and that was a crutch I didn't need. And so I trained alone, I used more dumb bells and just asked for spots from regulars I knew wouldn't mind stepping in when I really needed it. Overall, I've never been stronger and prefer to work by myself now. Try it out, it may be hard at first but it's the best thing I've ever done.

super_size_me
02-04-07, 4:31 pm
I actually prefer to train by myself. I have had a workout partner for the passed five months, and have still worked alone out on occasion because he didn't feel like going. If your partner isn't as dedicated as you are, then he's going to hold you back. You and your training partner have to be on the same page, or you need to not workout together...you'll just end up getting in each other's way.

Alivewhenimdead
02-04-07, 5:51 pm
nothin' wrong with lifting by yourself, just get in the zone

if you go to a decent gym then you shouldn't have a problem finding ppl to spot you on heavy sets of bench or whatever else you might need someone for

wolf
02-04-07, 9:01 pm
If it's not working for you - move on. Better to lift alone than drag dead weight. Maybe at some point he'll come around and be back in the right frame of mind - do what YOU need to do.

mattpatt
02-04-07, 9:08 pm
and Amen

Big Jimmer
02-04-07, 11:29 pm
when he starts noticing the gains you will be making, he will get back into it. you shouldnt need a spot all the time, push yourself hard but stop before you need a spot. i had a partner for almost a year, and hes an animal, no doubt, but his new job has screwed up hours, so for the last 6 months i have been solo. i stay in the mindset better and have been gaining strength without him. all you gotta do is lift some heavy weight and eat yourself huge.

MELTDOWN
02-04-07, 11:40 pm
i have had the same training partner for well over 12 years. only a hand full of times has he missed a workout (something about having his two daughters and an anniversary or something like that). but now, he has landed some big time nascar job and is gone most of the time. for about .04 seconds i thought "what will i ever do ?", but then it was my set to work in at the hack squat. then, at that moment, u2 was on the radio with " i can LIFT...with or without you " (haha)...........and the guy stepping out of the squat rack had jackyl playing thru his mp3..."i stand alone today......."
life goes on and so do i...hammer down !!!!!!!

peterpyper
02-05-07, 1:06 am
good topic to read,ya i train alone also i like it better use to have a partner but he been bz doin other stuff but that was the only one that trained like me and was in the same zone,life goes on but gotta keep trucking

P_Venkman
02-05-07, 1:14 am
If I were you, I would just tell him this. "Im goin to the gym at this time, on the dot. Everyday." And just go do your thing. If he comes, great you have a spotter, if not, work out alone. I love lifting alone man, no one to question what your doin, and no one to explain your actions to. Theres a few good guys at my gym and we spot each other when needed. But other than that its usually just a nod or a "whats up".

sjchris408
02-05-07, 1:52 am
I know what you're going through, your friend sounds exactly like my best buddy when it comes to working out. He has a girlfriend as well, which is partly the problem, but when it comes to the bottom line, what makes or breaks a training partner for me is their desire to grow. If they don't have it, they just won't be able to keep up with me, they might survive a couple workouts, but as soon as leg day comes around, theyre nowhere to be found. But like machine said, honestly you get your best gains by yourself, unless you're training with someone stronger than you in which case the competition factor kicks it.

doomsdaylover
02-05-07, 2:06 am
God, workout partners can really suck. You need them to push you and spot you and get you through sticking points...but other times their lack of dedication makes my balls itch. If only a robot like, Mr. Data on Star Trek could be my lifting partner and cater to my every need. Then life would be perfect.

In conclusion, if he stinks, you gotta drop him like a bag of rotten carrots.

M60
02-05-07, 3:02 am
I agree with Machine...I rather train alone but at times when I want to go heavier, like on my bench or squats, I wish I had that one reliable spot to back me up, so sometimes it hinder me from saying screw it, do it yourself, so what if you can't get the full rep, at least I tried. But on the same note, I don't want 195 bench crushing my chest either.

I find that when I ask a dude in the gym for a spot they automatically think they are my "partner." This bugs the hell out of me. Of course, me as nice a person as I am, I allow people to follow me around. Eventually, they die off 'cause I wear them out (believe it or not). Its kind of like when a piece of a lizard's tail is cut off and then it grows back...one partner falls off and soon, another sucker is tagging along behind you.

I hope that made sense...sometimes I think faster than I type...or is it the other way around..whatever..you get my drift right?

Holy shit. I hope I dont do that. Theres this dude at my gym that I kinda follow around. Sometimes he'll ask me to spot him, but its not like we workout together. The other day he spot me without me even askin'. He even let me use his chalk! Hes a great guy.

saintsplaya
02-05-07, 3:46 am
yall are a huge help and are making me see the light. im starting to think about how much my friend ruins my workouts. the extra time it takes for him to get ready to do another set, the never wanting to do legs with me, how he only likes doin biceps, and the waste of my focus worrying if he will even show up. like yall said once he sees my body taking shape the way he once his to look he will try to jump on the bandwagon only to jump right off in a week or so when his girlfriend wants to have a movie night or waste money at an overly priced restaurant. i work out for myself, not solely for my appearance like he does, but mainly for the way it makes me feel, to know that i have a place to go and escape from the everyday grind of school, studying, and work. knowing that i can accomplish what many people dream about, going to the gym and keeping up with my goals to put in the time regardless of what obstacles life may throw may way. i go there to move heavy weight, not drag dead weight with me in the form of a partner. im going solo on this ride for now on fellas, knowing that going solo will make i and only i responsible for the direction and destination of where this train is going. huge props to yall for the advice yall provide and have provided.

Toni69
02-05-07, 4:25 am
I see most of us have had bad wo partner experiences and would rather train alone. I much rather train alone. i can't stand the chit-chat and having to "teach" people as to why I do the things I do. I have a momentum, and sometimes other people just don't get it. My husband and I used to train but he gave up lifting, because of work he says. I was actually so glad he decided to stop because he was slowing me down. He started getting very slow and talking and joking alot..making fun of others and that really bothered me. He would make comments about how how some dude had bad form squatting and I would think to myself, "have you seen yourself squat..wait..you don't squat!" Squatting was never a part of his routine. His motto is "if you cant see it in a tank top, dont bother training it."

Yes, I am dogging out my husband..only because I don't understand how one minute you got it; the drive, commitment, passion, the stamina, shit, the honor of being able to stay in the game..and then..poof! it just disappears. And for what? A cigerette, a drink at the pub?

If a partner is not on the same wavelength as you as far as training goes...cut them off ASAP. They will slow you down and get you pissed and this can be avoided by just not training together.

Thorgrym
02-05-07, 10:53 am
Theres a guy from work I can train with. If our schedules match on any given day we train hard together. I can go heavier without fear of not ebing able to get the weight off me if I go to failure.

If our schedules dont match I train aloen and go as hard and ehavy as I can within safe limits. Sometimes that includes half reps, and if it does fuck it, thats what I can do on that day.

Dont become dependant on another for your training. Do it by yourself and for yourself if you have to. Thats what this sport is. A lonely one that you go through alone. But its fuckin worth every lonely second.

Thor

naturalguy
02-05-07, 11:45 am
Partners can be great however if they are holding you back or hindering your training, get rid of him/her now.

the_menace
02-05-07, 4:39 pm
This is the reason why I love working out by myself.

Tell him that he's on his own. I bet he'll feel shitty for what he has done, and his training will also follow the same path. Shitty habits equates shitty results.

G Diesel
02-05-07, 4:50 pm
If they are serious and commited, a training partner can be a great asset. If you have to also motivate them and change your life to accomodate there laziness or lack of character, they are a cancer that needs to be excised. Either you are on this team to win or you are contributing to my loss, so come to play or give me the ball and get the fuck out of the way. I've too often in the past found myself guilty of trying to carry others on the wings of my dreams. Peace, G

J-Dawg
02-05-07, 4:51 pm
I prefer working out alone. I get so much more out of my workouts by lifting in solitude. If it were up to me, I'd tell your friend that you'd rather work out alone. Be honest with him on why you do.

Gainer65
02-05-07, 5:23 pm
nothin' wrong with lifting by yourself, just get in the zone

if you go to a decent gym then you shouldn't have a problem finding ppl to spot you on heavy sets of bench or whatever else you might need someone for

Amen brother!

Liftbig21
02-05-07, 7:39 pm
I always forced myself to embrace the concept of isolation and solitude as it relates to my training. After all you are born alone...you die alone...you should train alone. Now I'm not saying you cant use a partner...I will say this though...Every significant advance in my training , be it in wieght or reps or intensity has come when I was alone. You will find it easier to ease into a manic zone when you are by yourself...you can fully become aware of your surroundings and use all of your senses to absorb power. Mozart probably didnt compose the worlds most beautiful symphonies with his buddy pointing out the girls on the treadmills. You cannot tie your training to anything or anyone outside yourself because then without knowing it...you already set limits on yourself and ultimately your growth. This is a loner's game for me...I dont need any friends...I dont want any dead wieght and I dont have time for negative energy. Do yourself a favor...buy a dog and train alone.

MACHINE

Machine you took the words right out of my mouth I never had a training partner...everything I acheived was on my own...When your in that gym the only person you can rely on is yourself.

Rage
02-05-07, 8:36 pm
It's an individual sport. I agree completely with Machine. Keeping an independant mindset will keep you focused. Who knows, if your training on your own, your bound to notice someone else at the gym that may be just as consistant as you and at the same times. Just don't count on it.

k1usa
02-05-07, 8:51 pm
for spots and negitives...use any other gym animals...depend on yourself...friends are great outside the gym...but for me...I need to be left alone....live my life in the gym the way I want...without any problems or drama from a weak link....I like the solo workout....

you hang in bro....just do your thing....train hard...and live long.

Russ k1usa

Big George
02-06-07, 3:10 pm
Are you in this for yourself or your buddy? If it's for yourself, fuck him!

Later

Good point - then meet up with him, show him your guns, and ask him if his girlfriend can get him a pair of those (or something else)

bobbyj654
02-06-07, 3:23 pm
its hard to get motivated with a partener because you guys are always talikin and stuff, but if your partner is a dedicated animal, then there shouldnt be a problem

dude, if youre partner does something stupid, like show up late, or give a bad spot, or he just talks too fukin much. kick that guy in the damn balls, and tell him to go kill himself, lol, im jk. it would be funny though, i would do it as a joke, but not the part about kicking him in the balls
but seriously, if he does, i would kick his ass

Ironpsycho
02-24-07, 4:24 pm
Hey i've got a question for you guys. Does anyone ever have trouble finding a person to train with. im not saying this being cocky but it just seems like more and more if i can talk someone into training with me once they majically either vanish and i dont see them any more or they just always have an excuse not to after that. either they dont like the volume or the intensity i train with, but does anyone else have this problem? because there are days when itd be really nice to have a person you trust to spot you when youve got a lot of weight above you.

train.eat.supp.sleep
02-24-07, 4:28 pm
there are alot of quitters out there...but if u lift in a gym where there are some people that have some clue of what is going on...ask them for a spot....if they have been in this sport for a while they wont mind....they dont have to be lifting with you to give u a spot...and just keep on the lookout for someone who u think would stick with you and your intensity...but keep the intensity up and things will work out im sure

Big Wides
02-24-07, 4:36 pm
i had a training partner while at school, but since i've graduated ive been on my own, i find it very tough to find a training partner

teacup839
02-24-07, 5:02 pm
ive gone through 3 partners
i say fuck
if you want somin done right you got to do it your self
if you ant got a spot ive learned this set the weight down for 10 sec then do a rep and contineu till you get to what you wanted to get to

Kiwi129
02-24-07, 5:12 pm
Yeah the kid I fuckin workout with is always making up gay shit. He's really either going home instead of training to either: A) smoke pot, B) go drink somewhere, or C) go to sleep. He only trains when he wants to and sometimes doesn't "feel" like doing this and that. Pisses me off.

teacup839
02-24-07, 5:41 pm
were here brother lol

like animal said go hard or go home

Powerfreak
02-24-07, 5:44 pm
Good training partners are far and few between, I went for years going through one after the other for whatever reasons. Even started driving three hours one way to train the way I need to with people who were just as serious as me. As it ended up I moved to my current home and Nazareth Barbell where we have a whole team that trains together. It makes training a whole lot more productive when you have people to push to your limits every workout.
I am sorry to say that you can only do so much by yourself and expect to continue to make gains. There is no wqay I could continue to train the way I do without the aid of my training partners. They are some of the best in the game and I am most greatful to have them.

teacup839
02-24-07, 5:47 pm
man you got the life down in louisiana i know theres a lot of hard trainers but trying to find them is fucking hard pluss i work shift work hey any one wanna come move by me and get my same job and shift and train with me

Kiwi129
02-24-07, 6:31 pm
Do you guys think it's okay to just go to the gym and ask for spots when you need them? The only things you really need a spot on a push exercises (squat, bench, military, getting dumbbells up...). I don't really feel like getting close to anyone to actually be a training partner.

txpower
02-24-07, 6:35 pm
i've got 2 partners. they pretty much just spot me on the heavy stuff then do whatever they want otherwise.

darkside64
02-24-07, 7:06 pm
finding a good training partner is very hard. Especially when your an animal. I would say throw up a flag by wearing some animal gear to the gym; see if any brothers pick up on it. If not I would say just ask a "big guy" to spot you on your heavy lifts.

goody19
02-24-07, 8:48 pm
its wayyy easier just finding someone to spot you on real heavy sets than it is to find someone with the drive and love we have. if you do find someone, congrats, i still havent yet. and make sure if they are gonna spot you, they at least know the proper way and the way you like it done.

Ironpsycho
02-24-07, 9:23 pm
yeah dont worry ive got animal shirts that i wear every day and my animal beanie and its not that i cant find a training partner because my brother is a personal trainer at coops where i train along with alot of other hardcore trainers but they all lift in the middle of the afternoon and im still in highschool and in class. so since i cant train with them i try and go to the gym when all the crowds arent there which now is either 4:45 in the morning or 8 at night. and theres a few people who can give spots but i just like haveing a training partner because if I run out of motivation by myself I can just concentrate on kicking whoevers ass and getting even more weight with better form then they can do. but thats just me.

bovat
02-24-07, 9:28 pm
Hey i've got a question for you guys. Does anyone ever have trouble finding a person to train with. im not saying this being cocky but it just seems like more and more if i can talk someone into training with me once they majically either vanish and i dont see them any more or they just always have an excuse not to after that. either they dont like the volume or the intensity i train with, but does anyone else have this problem? because there are days when itd be really nice to have a person you trust to spot you when youve got a lot of weight above you.

i feel your pain brother, my partner is a pussy, come workout with me, lol

Mr.Totality
02-24-07, 9:33 pm
I have only had one training partner worth a damn, and that was my father. Hes been dead for 10 years ad I have been lifting alone since then. It is easier alone I feel. I got my music on, and dont feel the need to talk and BS

Ironpsycho
02-24-07, 9:43 pm
ahhh if only all the members of the forvm were in the same state then there would never be the lack of partners, good spotters, whatever, but yeah im with all you guys about having music on and not talking, even when i have a partner the only things i say are the sets reps and then psyching them up or pissing them off callin them a pussy so theyll get there last reps. but if any of you guys are ever down in greenville SC. stop by coops.

MFALCH
02-24-07, 10:21 pm
I remember training with my buddy Kilgore. He was the god damned man. We started our lifting together, and made huge gains. We knew each other's workouts inside and out, exactly how to fire each other up. Hell we both knew exactly when the other guy would need to go to the store for protein. The dynamic between the two of us was insane, we both admitted we made the best gains together. He switched schools about two years ago and fell off of the iron wagon.

I've had three shitty partners since then. One guy stuck on for a couple months. Another guy tried but couldn't get his ass up in the mornings more than half the time. It was just never the same.

Nothing is better for progress than a motivated partner, but I believe that there is nothing worse for progress than a shitty one.

Maccabee
02-24-07, 11:57 pm
I find myself training much better without a training partner. As far as spotting goes I try to work with dummbells so that I can just drop em if I get stuck. I know how you feel, almost everyone I have trained with just either quite or disapeared. I just train on my own. One thing Iam trying to look for is another Animal who I can train with. The only training partners you can rely on are Animals, imagine how sick workouts would be if you did it with another Animal.

mgmmaze
02-25-07, 12:31 am
When i was out in Iraq i had a training partner. It made our workouts intense. but now im pretty much on my own somtimes i wish i had my boy to push me some but i think i can hold it down pretty much on my own. The big time is when i try to pack on strength and size where i hit the heavy weight that time i notice a parter would kick ass. well thats my 5 cents. peace

OldeIron
02-25-07, 12:55 am
Good training partners are far and few between, I went for years going through one after the other for whatever reasons. Even started driving three hours one way to train the way I need to with people who were just as serious as me. As it ended up I moved to my current home and Nazareth Barbell where we have a whole team that trains together. It makes training a whole lot more productive when you have people to push to your limits every workout.
I am sorry to say that you can only do so much by yourself and expect to continue to make gains. There is no wqay I could continue to train the way I do without the aid of my training partners. They are some of the best in the game and I am most greatful to have them.

I got something kinda like this. There is always at least 3 of the guys I train with always at the same the same time I go, so i always have someone to train with. They are all die hard too, come no matter what, gotta love them. Im the younest, and theyve helped me alot, I would still be at 148 if it wernt for them and this site lol. Eitherway, I would say look around your gym for a week and see whos there when your there. Try n find someone who trains like you, thats how I found my crew. Hope that helped.

dragondad
02-25-07, 1:28 am
My training partner is awesome..he's been lifting since high school....big little fucker. He's kinda of wacked sometimes (always wants to super set), but I'm getting great gains with him. When I started I could barely push 135 on bp for 10. Now I push 275 to failure 3-4 reps after 4-5 sets. It's kinda funny to watch him talk while I'm listening to my i-pod, don't here a word he's saying, pisses him off. Bad thing is I only get him 4 weeks at a time, then off for 2 weeks then back for 4. He's an underground miner and he works some jacked shifts. Don't know what I would do without him, guess I'd figure it out.

teacup839
02-25-07, 1:16 pm
for people with partners do you ever feel like you cant tell your partner about this web site cause there just not deturmined enough

goody19
02-25-07, 5:32 pm
i have 4 friends, they are like part of my family. they are gym rats too. just for fun though. no seriousness about it. they do it for the beach pretty much. still big kids though. and they have no idea this place exhists... and im not telling them its here either

teacup839
02-25-07, 9:33 pm
goody i seen your goals for 07 i know this is off topic but what you at now

fallen_evil
02-25-07, 9:45 pm
I feel your pain on finding a good partner. I lifted a year with my best friend and made some real sick gains. Even days I didn't feel like much the son of a bitch pushed me. Now I am on my own because of schedule conflicts and it really sucks.

djlr42789
02-25-07, 10:30 pm
I usually had my best friend at our high school gym. But he always blew me off which I had no problem with so for almost 3 years now I'm a senior and I lift alone. Personally when I'm about to reach the end I only need myself to push me further.

Now I work at a Gold's and lift anytime I want. I'm more comfortable on my own.

I can never explain to my peers why I lift all different times of the day. I just don't like to be around a negative energy of someone who only lifts for beach muscles.

BIG45s
02-25-07, 10:43 pm
I have been fortunate with training partners. Mine have been very good. The guy I train with now is dedicated. He works his ass off and just recently trained through an injury that would have been used as an excuse to quit by many. The other guy I occassionaly train with when he is on break; he is solid as well. He takes his lifting serious and is pound for pound one of the stronger lifters I have seen.

Peace

BIG45s

conan75
02-25-07, 11:12 pm
the guy i train with has trained with me for the last 8 years...he started out at 160 lbs at 6 ft and now weighs in at 250 with hsi abs showing...i started at 210 with him and got up to 300 lbs but now carry 255 lbs comfortably now...he is like my brother....lets jus say that if i needed to bury a dead body, i know how i would call.....

Mean Machine
02-25-07, 11:34 pm
I train with my little brother. We don't actually workout together but just go to the gym at the same time. That works best for me cause I hate actually doing the same routine as someone else but I still have a spot if I need one.

ryanlemley1
02-26-07, 10:11 am
me personally, i don't have a training partner at this time. i did, but he has since moved away. he is more of the fitness guy and i am more of the guy who has the ANIMAL mentallity. he understood, when we used to train, he did his thing, and i did mine. we used the same workouts, but different wt/sets/reps//etc. he was my motivator. we did well together. but now...it is all me. when my wife goes, she is there to push me to the limit...when she goes. now, i just look in the mirror when i'm training. i tell myself each day, how bad to you want it? how bad to you want to OVERCOME? i've been improving each and everyday, brothers. Train hard!!

Dingo
02-26-07, 12:21 pm
a good training partner is like finding a pretty woman who will cook and clean.... Hard to find because they are so few and far between.

cubs1987
02-26-07, 6:56 pm
I am pretty lucky too; my training partner is great. We both do the same workout and are both noticing good gains. If he can't go, I either just go by myself or ask one of my friends. But ya that'll change when he goes to spain, so I will need to find a replacement...

kyderz
03-08-07, 2:05 am
i have none. heres my story.

i got a friend phill, during summer he would come with me every session and bust his ass. then school started, and he got lazy. this is after telling me hed show up, leave me hangin, and i finally told him to stop coming after about 10 times of not showing [in a row, over video games..World of Warcraft??]

next guy is this foreign exchange student. he told me he wanted to train with me cuz im kinda a big guy, compared to most hs kids. so i told him its be kewl. id pick him up, and after a while he didnt wanna train with me anymore because it was too hard, and blah blah blah.

next guy is aaron, good friend of mine also. i dunno whats up with my friends fucking me over. they just dont go for the right reasons. they go to get beach bodies, or to stay in shape. if you're gonna lift like a pussy, then get the fuck out. and they werent consistent.

next guy, sean. another good friend, wanted to get big, mind you hes about 6'1 or 2 weighs like 140. so he asked to train with me. i told him my rules of consistency, being on time, and busting your ass. he agreed to the max.
this guy benches the bar for 3 sets of 8. not hating on the guy, but i mean if you're stuck here, eat some fucking food. everyone of these guys have one thing in common. they all eat like 2 times a day. lunch, and dinner. yea, horrible.

last guy, currently failing me. name is joey. i started a dc routine on monday of this week. he asked if he could join me, and he wanted to take it serious this time, as he knows i do. so, we go. ses are to failure..he'll do 3 or 4, and just stop and say "I'm tired." HELLO?! how the fuck am i supposed to help you if you dont want it? you know? i even went light with this dude. military press the bar. i understand that, but fucking want it. none of these guys eat worth a shit, and they dont want it. this is why, i fucking hate partners. they always let you down.

sorry for the gossip, but i mean i want my dad to go with me.he works 60+hrs a week, hes 45, and never really got into bodybuilding as i am doing, so i get that he doesnt want to do much with this. but if my dad went, i know he would MAKE me bust my ass. my dad would force me to make myself proud. the guys who dont let you fail are your best friends.

SpecialBlend
03-08-07, 2:41 am
My training partner and i had our shit together, we used to call the gym the fuckin library, we werent here to talk just fuckin lift and get out so we could feed our engines. Recently i have been flyin solo due to his money issues with payin his gym fee. Personally i like liftin alone. It keeps me on task away from all those distractions. hood up, earphones in, iron up.

ironshaolin
03-08-07, 3:31 pm
yeah, the curse. First when I started lifting, I wan in a kickass hardcore band. We all went to the gym together, figuring we would get ripped and really be hardcore. Then, a few of them got lazy, which pissed me off considering here were the guys that got me into lifting, and now they gave up and I kept goin strong. Then it was me by myself for a bit. Then I started workin out with a friend who's much bigger than me, which was good for a bit because he's a psycho and the workout were nutty, and he always knew how to push me. But, when you have plans to hit the gym at 8 and it ends up being 9 30 before you workout, that started getting to me. Back to myself, this was around the time I discovered ANIMAL. For a while, I kinda prefered working out alone, no one to bother me, no chit chat, just focus and concentration. I recently got a long time friend to join my gym, and he's been my workout buddy now. Only problem is he has a max bench of 95 lbs, and mine is 225 so we aren't really balanced. He tries real hard, and I think after a while he has potential, so we'll see how this goes, if I have a lifting partner or not. At least I know I can walk the path alone, I don't need anyone to push me. I push myself.

Argos
03-08-07, 4:34 pm
I know the pain of searching for a good workout partner...in college I probably went through 5 or 6 of them. I was nice and if some one said can I workout with you I'd say sure. But like everyone else either they get hurt, get sore, have other things to do, or whatever shit they came up with. There was one guy though damn he was a haas. He wasn't the biggest or the baddest but man he was there on time and he tried his hardest to keep up, two things no other partner of mine has come close to. Now I workout at a military base gym and dear god they are the biggest winers. It is too early, it is too heavy, you workout too hard...I never ask you to come...you wanted to work out with me, remember. Now I fly solo, quick, hard, and intense...

For the pain...

GRUNT
03-09-07, 5:09 am
I have gone through a few training partners but i dont think its a big deal or do i think i am more bad ass than the next guy. Some people have different goals in mind and mine didnt align with there goals. I have a workout partner now that is good, he pushes me and our goals are alligned.

Hauss
03-09-07, 12:01 pm
go get yourself an i pod get some bitchin songs on it and let that be your partner. people will always be unrealiable so learn to count on yourself to push you through your sets.

Cheko
03-09-07, 12:17 pm
I'll train with or without a partner, been through many. Eventually they go away or inconsistant. Whether they show or not my intensity is resolute.

Aengus
03-10-07, 6:04 pm
I make training partners cry.

There are some times when I just won't stop. I keep going..30 sets, 40 sets. I stop when I am empty.

Most people pop in for 12, maybe 15 sets. I just can't help myself, you know? These kids are rarely in it for the same reasons and with the same fervor. They aren't hungry for pain like I am, so they don't push themselves...

I have gone through too many partners, so I am basically done with pairing up. If I need a spot, I will just use a power rack. Power racks don't puss out.

invictus1
03-11-07, 11:40 pm
im with Aengus, i like the old school volume training....at 5 in the morning. im lucky to see another soul before i leave let alone have someone else train with me.

ercule
03-18-07, 8:03 pm
Boy it's easy to see why bodybuilders are such loners. A friend has a life outside of yours and the first response is " Fuck Him" It's hard in life to find anyone who can be consistent with YOUR needs . Take care of yourself first and workout alone. ( it's easier to concentrate and keep up your pace anyway) and try to be a little understanding of your friend. We are all learning life's lessons as they come.

Avicara
03-18-07, 9:41 pm
Yeah, I say fuck training partners. I tried that whole thing, and my partner would be missing a day and when he would come back would either wanna do arms or chest. As everyone else has said, worry about yourself first, you are doing this for you.

Vinny G
03-18-07, 11:36 pm
Its real simple....tell your friend, when your done being whipped...i'll be at the gym.

Dont call him or ask for a ride...you go do your own thing, but if he shows up, never hold a grudge, or bust him.....if you were gettin "some" you'd be slackin too....lol

friends are forever, and one day you your self will be in the same situation.
i have friends from when i was 16 yrs old, that i still train with once or twice a year, or go to dinner with.......but ask me who i was gettin "some" from , i couldn't care less...but my boys have been with me for like, forever.

Vinny G
03-18-07, 11:38 pm
Boy it's easy to see why bodybuilders are such loners. A friend has a life outside of yours and the first response is " Fuck Him" It's hard in life to find anyone who can be consistent with YOUR needs . Take care of yourself first and workout alone. ( it's easier to concentrate and keep up your pace anyway) and try to be a little understanding of your friend. We are all learning life's lessons as they come.

COULD NOT HAVE BEEN SAID ANY BETTER.....

deeder
03-19-07, 4:46 am
I haven't read all the posts... But my advice would be to go to the gym when YOU want and when it's convenient for you. If he's not dedicated then why should your workouts suffer because of him? Even if he were dedicated, this isn't about him.

I've gone through many workout partners since I started lifting seriously. I've been lifting alone pretty much straight since last September. No one to fuck with my schedule and no one to distract me. If I could find someone who lasted more than a month with me I'd love it! So far I haven't found anyone that has. Well... this is all not counting my girl.. But having her there isn't the same as having a lifting partner.

Reinhardt
04-24-08, 5:25 pm
So I was at the gym late night with a co-worker/lifting partner. We were the only people left, other than the front desk worker, with about 30 mins to close. The radio had been playing the whole time we were there. About 3/4 of the way through the workout, the radio goes off and we figure the front desk guy just wanted us to leave.

A second later the music returns. My lifting partner hooked up speakers to his iPod. The first song that played...

And I'm embarassed to admit I recognized the song...

He was playing the Pokemon theme song. And he was stoked about it.

MartyMcfly
04-24-08, 5:52 pm
brother, lifting partners are cool and all, but in the end, It'll be just you, unless he's an animal. I've had 7-14 (I can't remember exactly) workout partners, all of whcih either moved away or let me down or didn't have the same goals. workout for you. become an animal for you. grab a spot here and there. keep plugging away, and depend on you.

Far Beyond Driven
04-24-08, 5:54 pm
If it fires him up, who gives a shit? I had a lifting partner who was 50 years old, and made me, 29, look like a bitch. His tune? "sexy back" by Justin Timberlake.

callme47
04-24-08, 10:42 pm
I dont think you should ditch him as a freind but as far as your workout partner i say you should if hes gonna hold you back from lifting then go ahead without him theres no room for drama shit in this game.

LWSniper14
04-24-08, 11:41 pm
I have the same problem. We are never at the gym at the same time and when we are, we're doing 2 different body parts. Just go ahead and drop him as a partner. He might get mad at you, but in 2 or 3 weeks he'll call you frantically asking you for advice(well, at least that's what mine did to me anyway). Just as everybody else said, you only need yourself for progress.

Don't let him stand in your way,

Greg

mritter3
04-25-08, 7:20 am
you ditch him as a workout partner, you can always find a spotter at the gym, and if you need motivation, put on some head phones, keep him as a friend especially if he is your best friend, those don't come around often, if he is hardcore like you, he will miss the iron and be back, but for now do your own thing bro.

martylavender
05-11-08, 10:15 pm
So there are obviously quite a few people at my gym that lift. Thats a given.

What I am trying to find is a lifting partner. Someone that can motivate me, inspire me, spot me, and work me.

I dont see anyone at my gym that is, per say, in the same mind set that I am in. Doing the same lifting that I am doing.

Any advice on the best way to approach this? Is there some place on the web you can find someone that is looking for a lifting partner? If there isnt I think I just realized a new website that needs to be built. And I am just the person to do this!!

calcaneous
05-11-08, 10:28 pm
I don't have a lifting partner per say, but every once and a while ill lift with one of the cats in the gym, if our schedules are the same.

I guess you could make "friends" with someone that might want to train the same way you do. Its hard to find someone who wants to work at your same intensity and dedication. when it comes down to it, you can only trust yourself in the end. L-P come and go man, ive seen too many friends start fighting over stupid shit because one was 15 minutes late or didnt show up, ruined their chest day.

sanga
05-12-08, 3:53 am
These are hard to find, sometimes I think I`d have more chance finding a needle in a hay stack.

But when you do find one it can mean all the diference of hard training sessions to just ok sessions.

As long as they turn up on time everytime and are willing to push themselves 100% then thats great but again hard to find.

I have had a few training partners over the years but most burn out or wimp out.

I train alone at present, there is no one on this planet that will push me more than I push myself, in saying that I wouldn`t mind having a session or two with Wrath just for the motivation, lol.

Slash
05-12-08, 7:28 am
I personally prefer training alone. Training with a partner can prove very useful only if you both are in the exact same state of mind, and that is something like a 1% chance you've got.
Training with a partner also means you have to be able to coordinate the time of your workout and it is inevitable for both of you to not make it at the same time atleast a few times a month. My training partner's my iPod. With Disturbed screaming "Fucker get up, come on, get down with the sickness" in my ears im at war with the iron.

Just the way I feel.

martylavender
05-12-08, 9:45 am
Thanks for the responses

I know for me if I cannot motivate myself on a certain day to lift those are the days I at least get a killer cardio session in.

I personally think I should be able to motivate myself. I have those shitty days where I dont want to go into the gym, but I know those are the days I really I really need to be there.

Its nice to have someone there I think for motivation, and hell lets face it, general fucking conversation. There are days it is hella boring lifting alone. I do end up in a conversation every now and then with a couple guys at the gym but thats it.

For now I think I will just chill alone. I have a couple friends that will go in with me from time to time so that helps as well.

Tork
05-12-08, 1:10 pm
Partners? Who needs em! Just get one of them decoys at the gym to spot you, it isn't like they are there to lift anyways, there usually taking up space or fucking running thier suck to some chick. They are not there for the same reason, so embarrass them by interupting a conversation to see if they will spot you.

martylavender
05-12-08, 10:20 pm
To true

Even one of the trainers is always wasting peoples time by hitting on some of the women that come in.

A lot of the guys that come in totally hit on the female trainers. I am there to do one thing and one thing only. Feed the animal that I have totally become. It's more then just an obsession. Its a lifestyle. I have found this beast that lived inside me and its out now. There is no stopping me when I am in the gym. Even when I am at the point that I think I cant give anymore, I find it, I pull it out, and I push through.

maxrep
05-12-08, 11:00 pm
Its tough findin a good partner in iron. I am a lone wolf lifter. I tried to partner up but the guy was undependable. So the best advice is if ya need a spot get someone nearby. Even if they may be a little weak that extra hand will help. And as far as motivation, check out some you tube lifting clips, Animal DVD, or pumping iron.

Give it a try.

BryanSmash!
05-12-08, 11:04 pm
Hook up with your state's animal rep and see if you can get together with some other animals in your area. It helps to workout with like minded lifters once in a while. Also, if people at your gym suck, buy an Ipod and crank up the tunes, it'll make them easier to ignore.

josh306
11-04-09, 10:07 pm
I have been serious bout lifting for bout 18 months now. I had a training partner for the 1st year who has been training for years and was alot stronger than me. My 1 RPM bench went from 185 to 340 in that 12 month period. i feel like i have stalled the last 6 months without a partner to try and compete with. I am still at that same 1 RPM. What are your suggestions, I have tried 5x5 training, high reps and low cant seem 2 gain strength but am gaining size...

BubbyLight
11-05-09, 9:46 am
you've tried 5x5 low reps and high reps. but what does the rest of your chest workout look like

desolation
11-06-09, 5:20 am
I have been serious bout lifting for bout 18 months now. I had a training partner for the 1st year who has been training for years and was alot stronger than me. My 1 RPM bench went from 185 to 340 in that 12 month period. i feel like i have stalled the last 6 months without a partner to try and compete with. I am still at that same 1 RPM. What are your suggestions, I have tried 5x5 training, high reps and low cant seem 2 gain strength but am gaining size...

strength increase can platue especially after a good increase like yours. do you want to gain more size or strength?

Ronnie JR
04-01-10, 1:49 pm
Am I the only 1 that gets frustrated when my training partner is telling u all day "I'm ready 2 train 2day, I'm focused" then 10 minutes before itz time 2 meet @ the gym....I get THE text, I'm not gonna b able 2 make it to the gym 2day. Ahhhhh, I get hot just writing about it