PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Firefighter Animals

Preston
06-15-08, 11:15 am
I'm just curious how many men/women are firefighters here on the forum that use all their training for the good of the cause.

Representing Sheffield Volunteer Fire Department.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/medicmom13/firefighter-1.jpg

Preston
06-15-08, 12:01 pm
Fireman's Creed

When I am called to duty God
wherever flames may rage
give me strength to save a life
whatever be its age

Help me to embrace a little child
before it is too late
or save an older person from
the horror of that fate

Enable me to be alert
to hear the weakest shout
and quickly and efficiently
to put the fire out

I want to fill my calling and
to give the best in me
to guard my neighbour and
protect his property

And if according to your will
I have to lose my life
bless with your protecting hand
my children and my wife

Preston
06-15-08, 1:42 pm
Looks like I'm the only one. :)

Preston
06-15-08, 6:27 pm
Well, I suppose I'm the only firefighter here on the forum, so I found the best video I could to represent what it is exactly I do.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0iGWfiSgw&NR=1

Maccabee
06-15-08, 6:50 pm
Did you just become a fire fighter?

Preston
06-15-08, 7:29 pm
Been in training since 16 at my local station. Finally on the team. :)

naturalguy
06-15-08, 8:22 pm
I am not however I have many friends in the FDNY and I have the utmost respect for them

Angst
06-15-08, 8:51 pm
Been in training since 16 at my local station. Finally on the team. :)

Congrats my brother

Preston
06-15-08, 11:36 pm
I am not however I have many friends in the FDNY and I have the utmost respect for them I know exactly where you're coming from. Hopefully I'll attend a fire college this coming year. That will be exciting haha.

Congrats my brother

Thank you Angst..appreciate it. :)

BCent
06-16-08, 1:38 am
Voly for 3 years here, although including training I guess I been in something like 7.

sly06
06-16-08, 2:22 am
I believe J-Rock is a firefighter. If I am mistaken just let me know.

Preston
06-16-08, 9:01 am
Voly for 3 years here, although including training I guess I been in something like 7.

Awesome Castle, that's simply amazing man. Takes serious dedication, and a big heart to be able to run into a burning building.

Preston
06-16-08, 9:02 am
I believe J-Rock is a firefighter. If I am mistaken just let me know.

So awesome !!! More and more start just creepin' up on here. The more and more volly and or pro firefighters we can get going, I could request a training event for sometime next year.

Now that'd be sweet.

bdb1513
06-16-08, 12:09 pm
Representin Whippany Volunteer Fire Dept. been doing it since 03...hopefully going career soon

J Wong
06-16-08, 12:19 pm
I have a question for firefighters. If a newcoming firefighter had a degree in something like fire science, does that benefit the salary at all? I'm stuck in between firefighting and LE.

newbreed
06-16-08, 12:30 pm
Representin Whippany Volunteer Fire Dept. been doing it since 03...hopefully going career soon

I'm here representing the Whippany Volunteer as well since 2001.

Preston
06-16-08, 3:53 pm
Representin Whippany Volunteer Fire Dept. been doing it since 03...hopefully going career soon That's simply awesome BDB, how many times you've suited up for a fire?

I have a question for firefighters. If a newcoming firefighter had a degree in something like fire science, does that benefit the salary at all? I'm stuck in between firefighting and LE. I beleive the one thing that raises or lowers the salary would be the taxes in that area. So say if you live in a suburb of Chicago, you'd get paid more than someone who lives around this area where the maximum population seem to be less than 10,000 people. All depends on the taxes. If you are a "firefighter" and not an inspector I beleive you are paid a flat rate. You are then trained to be able to do the job, and some if not all that work for big cities go to a "Fire College."

I'm here representing the Whippany Volunteer as well since 2001. Brothers in the same house, so awesome!!! Always good to know you've got a buddy who has your back. So cool guys, keep them coming!

ranger_kyle
06-16-08, 4:24 pm
I am a wildland firefighter in Nova Scotia. I don;t do structure fires, all forest fires.

Preston
06-16-08, 5:37 pm
I am a wildland firefighter in Nova Scotia. I don;t do structure fires, all forest fires.

I know a guy who does the same thing, and he's freakin crazy. lol Keep up the good work keeping the forest at bay!!!

bdb1513
06-17-08, 9:39 am
That's simply awesome BDB, how many times you've suited up for a fire?

More times then I can count...I mean, we are a really slow dept, but still...it adds up over the years. Love every minute of it...like the forvm, it's a brotherhood, a family of people always there for you...

Preston
06-17-08, 9:46 am
More times then I can count...I mean, we are a really slow dept, but still...it adds up over the years. Love every minute of it...like the forvm, it's a brotherhood, a family of people always there for you...

I'm incredibly excited to get my first call...dying to hear that pager go off for the first time.

bdb1513
06-17-08, 12:38 pm
I'm incredibly excited to get my first call...dying to hear that pager go off for the first time.

wiat till you go in to your first fire..gettin your fire cherry popped...you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking not doing this before haha

ShaqFu
06-17-08, 2:23 pm
Representing The Bedford Volunteer Fire Department. Started when I was 16...going on 4 years now. One of the best, most humbling experiences I have ever had.
ShaqFu

Preston
06-17-08, 5:03 pm
wiat till you go in to your first fire..gettin your fire cherry popped...you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking not doing this before haha

Oh man, you have me so pumped right now. I'm just waiting....patiently. You know, the more I look at it the more I feel like akward waiting for something bad to happen. lol

It's like " I'm so totally stoked for an accident on 80, or a fire, that's gonna be awesome. "

I gotta get better at my words. lol.

Preston
06-17-08, 5:05 pm
Representing The Bedford Volunteer Fire Department. Started when I was 16...going on 4 years now. One of the best, most humbling experiences I have ever had.
ShaqFu

Welcome ShaqFu !!! Keep on strong buddy.

Think Twice, React Once, Stay Safe!

Preston
06-17-08, 5:28 pm
I don't know if you guys have heard of this yet, but it's called FirefighterNation.com, which is basically like a myspace for firefighters. I wanted to start an Animal-Fire Group.

I don't know if I can do this, but it was worth a shot asking.

I'm on there, just search for Preston Thompson!

Polish Prince
06-17-08, 5:30 pm
my buddy james is but he doesnt really get on here. too busy workin and savin lives!

Preston
06-17-08, 7:26 pm
my buddy james is but he doesnt really get on here. too busy workin and savin lives!

Hey, he counts! :)

J-ROCK
06-17-08, 11:54 pm
I am, my dad was, and my grandfather was, all at the same dept. Had to keep the legacy going.

As far as getting paid more, have a little info for you. An A.A. degree or an A.S. degree such as fire science will increase your pay (at least in FL) by $55 a month. Anything over that is $110 a month. However, that is the limit. I have three Bachelors and two A.S.'s, still only make the freakin $110. Masters, etc, same. Thank God for other jobs though. Retirement is awesome in the fire dept. My dad retired with a huge pension check and got almost double his salary when he finished. Can't beat that.

I remember my first fire and look at myself now, it's a job that you like more and more. The more you know and understand about it, the more fun it is. Wait until you start pumping, driving through intersections and stopping on the Q, the first time you ride up as a Lieutenant, just wait bro.

J-ROCK

Preston
06-18-08, 12:34 pm
I am, my dad was, and my grandfather was, all at the same dept. Had to keep the legacy going.

As far as getting paid more, have a little info for you. An A.A. degree or an A.S. degree such as fire science will increase your pay (at least in FL) by $55 a month. Anything over that is $110 a month. However, that is the limit. I have three Bachelors and two A.S.'s, still only make the freakin $110. Masters, etc, same. Thank God for other jobs though. Retirement is awesome in the fire dept. My dad retired with a huge pension check and got almost double his salary when he finished. Can't beat that.

I remember my first fire and look at myself now, it's a job that you like more and more. The more you know and understand about it, the more fun it is. Wait until you start pumping, driving through intersections and stopping on the Q, the first time you ride up as a Lieutenant, just wait bro.

J-ROCK

I'm dying right now for something to happen. I'm currently just a "Firefighter," and with due time I hope to move up in rank. I'm also just working at a volunteer fire department, but maybe if I like it enough, like everyone is saying, I will go to a fire college and hopefully work for a near by city. That would be my dream job. Everyday on call...shit, I get goose bumps at noon and 6 when my pager sounds off. LOL

I'm too excited J-ROCK, and thanks for the kind words man, I'm so excited it isn't even funny. My dad, my uncle, my cousins, and I are all fire fighters. I wouldn't want to go into a structure fire with anyone else. :) Some day though man, he'll have to retire. LOL

FearDoiteain
07-02-08, 11:51 am
I just got into the fire academy here in Lubbock, TX. I start training in August. I can't wait to apply everything I'm learning here to my training with the Department.

Preston
12-21-08, 2:10 am
I just got into the fire academy here in Lubbock, TX. I start training in August. I can't wait to apply everything I'm learning here to my training with the Department.

Very cool man - it's a good time for sure.

bigffmike
12-21-08, 8:39 am
FF/MEDIC hear, full time on a combination dept. Been a FF for 12 years, with the goverment all but 3 of them..

andrewT
03-03-10, 7:58 pm
Bumpin something old here.

I have wanted to be a firefighter since childhood (along with rock star and pro hockey player). I am in University for Kinesiology, and was initially going to be a phys ed teacher. I teach hockey since about 7 years ago and I really want to drop the teaching idea and get into firefighting. Today my University had a KINE Career fair and Firefighting was there.
Anyone in Canada know the pay starting rates? the shitfs look good and provide time for a side job.

saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6JxE9efeE. This stuff looks HARD as fuck! but for some reason I am really drawn to it. I have asthma, and am pretty much always hot, but I can't see those as barriers to it, but rather hurdles to overcome. Anyone here suffer from any breathing problems before firefighting or because of it?
Also without going to fire college for 1.5 years here, how in the hell do you get in besides volunteering? what seperates you from the next guy? I can't see past experiences being relevant to a situation as unique as firefighting.

to the top!

wedge
03-04-10, 2:03 pm
This seems like a good place to post this. My family has a history of being volunteer firefighters and I have been thinking of making a career change into becoming a paid firefighter.
Any suggestions on how to go about this? Where to look for jobs, etc.?

Hats off to all the firefighter Animals.

mark!
03-13-10, 6:37 am
Oh hell I'll check in. Currently certified as FFII/EMT-I. Not currently working in the field, I made the switch to law enforcement but I'm getting back to my roots. I'll be making the switch back to the FD as soon as I drop some weight again.

mark!
03-13-10, 6:50 am
Bumpin something old here.

I have wanted to be a firefighter since childhood (along with rock star and pro hockey player). I am in University for Kinesiology, and was initially going to be a phys ed teacher. I teach hockey since about 7 years ago and I really want to drop the teaching idea and get into firefighting. Today my University had a KINE Career fair and Firefighting was there.
Anyone in Canada know the pay starting rates? the shitfs look good and provide time for a side job.

saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6JxE9efeE. This stuff looks HARD as fuck! but for some reason I am really drawn to it. I have asthma, and am pretty much always hot, but I can't see those as barriers to it, but rather hurdles to overcome. Anyone here suffer from any breathing problems before firefighting or because of it?
Also without going to fire college for 1.5 years here, how in the hell do you get in besides volunteering? what seperates you from the next guy? I can't see past experiences being relevant to a situation as unique as firefighting.

to the top!

I don't know how they do things in Canada, but here many departments don't ask that you're already certified. Some even send you back through their fire academy to ensure you're trained the way THEY want you trained. What usually seperates those who do from those who don't make it is test scores and background. Most departments around here have a no bullshit policy. Anything above a class C and you're tossed from the hiring pot. Test scores are important because you'll get looked at first. Score highest on all aspects of the application and you got first nod for the job, pending you pass all other items. I'm not completely sure about the breathing problems. To me, sadly, it doesn't seem logical to put yourself in a position where you're already short of breath and clean air. Donning an SCBA and running in to a burning building leaves everyone gasping for air at the end, I can't imagine how it'd make someone feel that has a severe breathing condition. Go for it though brother! Adapt and overcome.

This seems like a good place to post this. My family has a history of being volunteer firefighters and I have been thinking of making a career change into becoming a paid firefighter.
Any suggestions on how to go about this? Where to look for jobs, etc.?

Hats off to all the firefighter Animals.

Find what the departments in your area require. For smaller departments, many ask that you're already certified as at least a FF. Some require FF/EMT, and some require FF/Paramedic. If you can go to school and get all of your certifications done on your own, that's what I would do but we can't always do that. Try and find a department that will hire you, and pay you while they provide an academy and full training. Any city website will have job postings. Many cities will have a recruiter, shoot them an email about your interests. Once you have what is required to get hired, test...test...test. Keep testing at every department you can. Take every test possible. Get prepared to be served up as chop liver during your oral board, but that's fun as hell after you've been through a few. I always felt like throwing up after mine. They lead you to think you're the worst possible candidate for the job, but then they call you back and tell you you've made it to the next round. (Not all departments play this psychological game with possible recruits, they fire all sort of stuff just to get a feel for your mental make up.)

The best advice I could give really is to just get out there and test. If they require a physical agility test, practice it. Most departments around here do the "CPAT" test. Canidates Physical Agility Test. Google it, watch it. It's a pretty fun test, beats the hell out of running a timed mile (when the hell am I going to run more then 100 ft in a full out sprint while working a fire anyway?) Keep at it, no matter what comes out. Find another department...test. Get a feel for it. They have study books for entry level testing in to the fire department. See if your department goes from any of these books. Good luck.

James87
04-06-10, 5:04 pm
anyone here in the fire service? EMS? Ive seen some huge guys at work i know with in law enforcement, Fire, EMS there are some animals and its always interesting to hear how there diets, training are set up since Work hours can sometimes be crazy

C.Coronato
04-07-10, 9:09 am
The perfect one for that is big Steve Kuclo, his name on here is Kuclo. He is a top level amateur bodybuilder who is inches away from being an IFBB pro. Check him out.

James87
04-07-10, 11:28 am
The perfect one for that is big Steve Kuclo, his name on here is Kuclo. He is a top level amateur bodybuilder who is inches away from being an IFBB pro. Check him out.

i just looked him up this guy is awesome thanks for the info!

James87
04-07-10, 11:55 am
This was the post i was looking for. Hows it going everyone? i work as a reserve FF/EMT and i work my other job on a privet ambulance ( In my ambulance now posted on a street corner. I'm glad i brought my laptop lol ) i just wanted to say whats up!? and now its time to go chug down my oatmeal shake

bigffmike
02-10-11, 3:42 pm
How's it going Animal Fire Fighetrs?
Fulltime FF/EMT hear

Jay
02-10-11, 7:08 pm
Hi. I hold a fire-fighter 1/EMT certification currently. I volunteered for a few years and miss it alot.

Sandman
02-11-11, 12:35 pm
Vol FF for 6yrs and counting. FF2, Fire Instructor 1, and HazMat Tech.

bigffmike
02-11-11, 4:16 pm
Nice to see some other animals on hear. What kind of lifting do you do or recomend for firefighters. Animal style..

Jay
02-12-11, 4:28 am
Nice to see some other animals on hear. What kind of lifting do you do or recomend for firefighters. Animal style..

I think cardio is a huge must for fire-fighting. You dont neccesarily need a bodybuilding type routine unless you want to. Strength training is important, especially for the back and legs but I would highly suggest hitting each bodypart at least once a week.

xman
02-12-11, 5:55 pm
I have an AA in fire science and am an active emt. However no one is hiring so I volunteer for companies and ambulances. I love what they do and how they help people with respect and kindness. So instead I took a job running a gym. Maybe I can help out by getting people in shape and preventing medical calls ;)

H4RDC0R3
02-15-11, 3:33 am
I am a firefighter/EMT out of eastern CO just now getting back into working out and eating healthy

bigffmike
02-15-11, 8:26 am
I think cardio is a huge must for fire-fighting. You dont neccesarily need a bodybuilding type routine unless you want to. Strength training is important, especially for the back and legs but I would highly suggest hitting each bodypart at least once a week.

I agree

bigffmike
02-15-11, 8:26 am
I am a firefighter/EMT out of eastern CO just now getting back into working out and eating healthy

Where abouts in Eastern CO?

Sandman
09-27-11, 4:56 pm
Bringing this thread back to see how many Firefighter Animals we have now. And I would like to see about have an ABC someday that is all Firefighters(long shot i know)