PDA

View Full Version : Ever broken a machine?

P-Ram
06-19-08, 4:19 pm
I just got back from doing back and Bi's, the cable on the seated rows snapped on me while doing 230lbs....I'm alright, thankfully.

Point is, some strong dude that goes to my gym asked me if it was my first busted machine which got me wondering how many times this actually happens.

So...

Ever broken a machine?

Malloy1344
06-19-08, 4:29 pm
Yeah I've destroyed a fair number of machines in the past. LOL.

All cables, and a few miscelleanous machines. Sometimes from conjuring up new ways to add more plates onto a machine

::shrugs::

krazyassmexican
06-19-08, 4:32 pm
not me but the other day my boy broke the cable pulldown machine
neddless to say he left the gym just to hop on the ambulance
he didnt even know what his name was

P-Ram
06-19-08, 4:41 pm
Thats pretty dirty. I flipped back and hit the smith machine but thankfully i didnt bang my head anywhere.

rev8ball
06-19-08, 4:52 pm
I just got back from doing back and Bi's, the cable on the seated rows snapped on me while doing 230lbs....I'm alright, thankfully.

Point is, some strong dude that goes to my gym asked me if it was my first busted machine which got me wondering how many times this actually happens.

So...

Ever broken a machine?

Don't really use 'em, so can't really break 'em......

P-Ram
06-19-08, 5:07 pm
Don't really use 'em, so can't really break 'em......

Right. Not even stuff like leg press, extentions or pulldowns? Those are pretty necessary machines that I could see breaking over time and heavy use.

Pizzalamp
06-19-08, 6:54 pm
never happened to me!

jeff00z28
06-19-08, 7:12 pm
i broke my cable pulldowns i used to have at home and it fell on my head

rev8ball
06-19-08, 8:07 pm
Right. Not even stuff like leg press, extentions or pulldowns? Those are pretty necessary machines that I could see breaking over time and heavy use.

I can absolutely see those breaking. I just don't really use them so it's never happened to me.

InkdMuscle
06-19-08, 10:18 pm
personally not me. but i have seen a guy use the preacher curl machine with the max weight. Once he was done he let the weight come crashing down and broke the base of the machine.

Hercules
06-19-08, 10:51 pm
About 2 years ago, I had the cable snap on the leg extention machine I was using. I probably could have been hurt pretty bad, but it broke at the top of my movement so my legs didn't fly up and hyperextend both of my knees. I don't use many machines anymore, though.

dannynb
06-19-08, 11:52 pm
Doing cable crunches....cable broke....so did my nose when I smashed into the floor....

Psycho77
06-21-08, 7:11 am
cable broke on me once when I was doing seated cable rows. I didn't roll back but I hit my head hard on the floor.

Achilles
06-21-08, 7:48 am
ive never had anything break, but I've bent a few olympic bars

bobbymart
06-21-08, 1:54 pm
don't really use machines.... I have seen cable's break on pulldowns though can get pretty nasty

TylerC
06-21-08, 3:56 pm
the one i broke was on seated rows, i think i had 240 or 250 on it (the machine only goes up to 220, so i had to put plates on the side), it broke and the weight went crashing down, the bottom square thing on the machine chipped off pretty bad. Everybody in there turned and looked at me like "holy crap are you okay?!?!?!", i just started laughing and said "my bad"

i decided to finish up with deadlifts

i didnt feel that bad tho, the gym i go to is from the stone age anyways

Fury317
06-21-08, 4:10 pm
Never witnessed or had anything break on me. Knock on wood.

But its disappointing to hear about all these stories. All machines should be checked daily by staff for maintnence and repair and to make sure they arent too old to "snap" like some of you have. Its a shame, because machines can do A LOT of good to bodybuilders, powerlifters, adn everyone in between. People shouldnt worry about if a machine is gonna break on them.

Arnold Is Numero Uno
06-21-08, 4:47 pm
not me but the other day my boy broke the cable pulldown machine
neddless to say he left the gym just to hop on the ambulance
he didnt even know what his name was

shit, what happened exactly?

bobbymart
06-21-08, 5:24 pm
Yeah I've destroyed a fair number of machines in the past. LOL.

All cables, and a few miscelleanous machines. Sometimes from conjuring up new ways to add more plates onto a machine

::shrugs::

that's why in my gym I don't let people add weight to my cable machines.

Matt Dickerson
06-21-08, 6:05 pm
Interesting thread. Makes me realize why I don't use many machines any more.

I have broken:

*Vertical leg press. The Tracks broke off or something.. Just do squats now.
*Cable loaded chest press. Pressed to quickly and the cable snapped.
*Seated Cable Row.. Stupid me added 100 pound plate to the stack. My bad.Bobbymart, lol.
*Bent a cheap ass bar at a commercial gym doing rack pulls.
*Broke a cheap ass adjustable bench while doing incline presses in the cage. It must have been one of those K-Mart specials. Good thing the pins were set to catch the weight or it would have been disastrous.

It's all good. With all the injuries the machines and weights give to us humans it is only fair that we break them once in awhile.

P-Ram
06-21-08, 8:54 pm
Man, good thing that adjustible bench didn't crash all the way down...it could've been ugly, Matt.

Good stories everyone. I ran into the maintenance dude at my gym this afternoon, dude felt like shit about not reinforcing the cable. I told him it couldve been way worse.

deerenheimer
12-09-09, 8:01 pm
Broke the cable dip machine last week. Snapped a 3/8 bolt in half Sent the pulley and a couple of other pieces 20'. Luckily no one was hurt.

almosteasy
12-09-09, 11:57 pm
ive heard more than one story about people breaking both arms when doing db presses on a ball and it popped

Diesel Rocket
12-10-09, 9:49 am
Im Spotting A Kid Once In This Old Gym I Used To Work Out In And He Was Doing Dumbbell Bench Press With I Think 90s

Long Story Short The Bench Pad Slid Off Of The Frame Itself And He Fell To The Ground Along With The Weights It Scared The Shit Out Of Both Of Us Along With Everyone Else In The Gym

About An Inch To The Left And One Of Them Would Have Landed On My Toes

Razor
12-10-09, 1:34 pm
I never did but one day i was doing cable flies and this guy asked to jump in for a set. Sure enough douche bag adds more weight than he can handle and drops all the weight and the cable snaps. i was gonna deck him i swear to God.

BigChrisF
12-10-09, 8:14 pm
I've broken a few things in my time training. I used to train with an old style standing calf raise machine. It had a yoke with an eye-bolt attached to a 3/8" chain to a pivoting platform with a peg to hold plates. I had a few hundred pounds on it and ripped the eye-bolt out of the yoke.

Once with cable rows, I pulled and one of the small wires from the braided cable snapped and unwound about 6 inches from the tension. I kept going and each time I pulled, another wire snapped and unwound. So after a total of five pulls and five out of nine wires snapped, I decided to quit.

I've bent a few barbells. I don't drop them, they just aren't usually up to the same challenge I am.

Bard of Rage
12-11-09, 10:40 am
Yet to break one but I have a healthy respect for safety catches now. The leg press in my gym isn't bolted to the floor and is seperated from the wall by a 10lb plate. I was doing heavyish weight and as I went down the plate moved sending me and the leg press into the wall, I nearly shat my self.

machineman
12-11-09, 10:52 am
never broke a machine but did bend a BB once....

BigChrisF
12-14-09, 8:36 pm
I remembered another one. The seat on the incline bench broke when I was doing incline BB presses. It was an interesting event to say the least.