PDA

View Full Version : What about HMB?

gymEvo
06-24-08, 4:39 pm
HMB seems to be a promising product...but i dont know anyone that takes it or has taken it. So for anyone that knows anything at all about it, or have taken it, could you share ur thoughts on this supplement? thanks.

krazyassmexican
06-24-08, 7:57 pm
from what i know universal doesnt make it
therefore we are not allow to discuss it

houseofpain
06-24-08, 8:45 pm
it's not talking about a company, just a product and chemical in general. I personally don't see the problem, just because Universal doesn't make a product containing HMB.

bobbymart
06-24-08, 8:52 pm
what's hmb?

GJN5002
06-24-08, 9:26 pm
beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate

never_2_big
06-24-08, 9:26 pm
i just plugged it into a search and came up with this page from the Vanderbilt University...

I'll post and absstract and the link...

I. What is HMB?

"HMB (hydroxy-methylbutraye) is a metabolite of the amino acid Leucine and is produced naturally by the human body. HMB is produced from a metabolite of leucine, called ketoisocaproate (KIC), by the enzyme KIC-dioxygenase. And, at least in the pig, HMB is produced exclusively from leucine"(Nissen p.2095).

II. How does HMB work?

Steven Nissen and his colleagues have performed the only study to date of HMB on humans. The researchers agree that the mechanism by which HMB impacts muscle proteolysis and function is not currently known. Nevertheless there are a number of postulations. "The high substrate concentration required by the dioxygenase enzyme compared with the liver concentration of KIC suggests that HMB production in the body may be a first-order reaction controlled by enzyme and KIC concentrations. It has been calculated that, under normal conditions, about 5% of leucine oxidation proceeds via this pathway. Therefore, if humans are assumed to have enzyme actions similar to those seen in pigs, a 70-kg human would produce from .2 to .4 g HMB/day depending on the level of dietary leucine. At leucine intakes of 20-50 g/day (which are used therapeutically), the concentrations of leucine and KIC in the liver increase and could result in HMB production reaching gram quantities per day"(Nissen p.2095). Some studies involving HMB supplementation to the diet of steers and pigs have been shown to improve caracass quality. Based on these findings, it has been hypothesized that supplementing the diet with HMB may inhibit protein degradation during periods of increased proteolysis such as resistance training.

III. What are the Claims?

The three companies that currently market the product recommend 1.5-3.0 grams of HMB/day as a dietary supplement. Although the science behind the product?s effectiveness is rather unclear, all three companies show few distinctions between dosages and manufacturing. Most people who have noticed the product often see HMB advertised as a protein breakdown suppressor. Researchers claim that such an advantage actually enhances the gains in muscle strength and lean mass associated with resistance training. Companies who promote the product claim that humans neither produce enough HMB in their bodies, nor do they eat such HMB-containing foods (e.g. catfish and grapefruit) regularly enough to provide the full benefits of HMB. Researchers claim that when we input extra amounts of HMB into our bodies the metabolite acts as a performance enhancer for such activities as weight lifting and sprinting. In effect, companies claim that HMB boosts strength levels, enhances gains in muscle size and strength, and prevents post-workout muscle tissue breakdown. The marketing companies do not make exactly clear how the product works, but they have formulated a few widely accepted ideas which are seen on the advertisement postings in many nutritional stores. Many of them believe that excess amounts of HMB in the body cause an interference with the body?s natural process of protein breakdown (particularly after a workout). In doing so, HMB allows athletes to retain more protein in their system, resulting in increased energy levels and faster recovery. Of course the companies claim that this product is only beneficial to those who workout in addition to HMB supplementation. Internet advertisements claim that there are countless experiments involving placebos and HMB supplements, which have resulted in substantial performance increases in the many groups of athletes who have taken HMB along with their training regiment.

source: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/hmb.html

TheDarkHalf
06-24-08, 11:21 pm
Here are two other really good finds from bb.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hmb.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast7.htm

LegendKillerJosh
06-24-08, 11:35 pm
i just plugged it into a search and came up with this page from the Vanderbilt University...

I'll post and absstract and the link...

I. What is HMB?

"HMB (hydroxy-methylbutraye) is a metabolite of the amino acid Leucine and is produced naturally by the human body. HMB is produced from a metabolite of leucine, called ketoisocaproate (KIC), by the enzyme KIC-dioxygenase. And, at least in the pig, HMB is produced exclusively from leucine"(Nissen p.2095).

II. How does HMB work?

Steven Nissen and his colleagues have performed the only study to date of HMB on humans. The researchers agree that the mechanism by which HMB impacts muscle proteolysis and function is not currently known. Nevertheless there are a number of postulations. "The high substrate concentration required by the dioxygenase enzyme compared with the liver concentration of KIC suggests that HMB production in the body may be a first-order reaction controlled by enzyme and KIC concentrations. It has been calculated that, under normal conditions, about 5% of leucine oxidation proceeds via this pathway. Therefore, if humans are assumed to have enzyme actions similar to those seen in pigs, a 70-kg human would produce from .2 to .4 g HMB/day depending on the level of dietary leucine. At leucine intakes of 20-50 g/day (which are used therapeutically), the concentrations of leucine and KIC in the liver increase and could result in HMB production reaching gram quantities per day"(Nissen p.2095). Some studies involving HMB supplementation to the diet of steers and pigs have been shown to improve caracass quality. Based on these findings, it has been hypothesized that supplementing the diet with HMB may inhibit protein degradation during periods of increased proteolysis such as resistance training.

III. What are the Claims?

The three companies that currently market the product recommend 1.5-3.0 grams of HMB/day as a dietary supplement. Although the science behind the product?s effectiveness is rather unclear, all three companies show few distinctions between dosages and manufacturing. Most people who have noticed the product often see HMB advertised as a protein breakdown suppressor. Researchers claim that such an advantage actually enhances the gains in muscle strength and lean mass associated with resistance training. Companies who promote the product claim that humans neither produce enough HMB in their bodies, nor do they eat such HMB-containing foods (e.g. catfish and grapefruit) regularly enough to provide the full benefits of HMB. Researchers claim that when we input extra amounts of HMB into our bodies the metabolite acts as a performance enhancer for such activities as weight lifting and sprinting. In effect, companies claim that HMB boosts strength levels, enhances gains in muscle size and strength, and prevents post-workout muscle tissue breakdown. The marketing companies do not make exactly clear how the product works, but they have formulated a few widely accepted ideas which are seen on the advertisement postings in many nutritional stores. Many of them believe that excess amounts of HMB in the body cause an interference with the body?s natural process of protein breakdown (particularly after a workout). In doing so, HMB allows athletes to retain more protein in their system, resulting in increased energy levels and faster recovery. Of course the companies claim that this product is only beneficial to those who workout in addition to HMB supplementation. Internet advertisements claim that there are countless experiments involving placebos and HMB supplements, which have resulted in substantial performance increases in the many groups of athletes who have taken HMB along with their training regiment.

source: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/hmb.html

HMB is an awesome product. I took it 3 grams/day for 3 weeks and my strength gains were through the roof. I'm taking 70lbs on my squat (sure some of that was placebo as I was just on a hot streak during that time, but it worked well) I went from 405 1rm to 475 1rm.

IronWilson
06-25-08, 11:41 am
I read somewhere that for some reason it works really well for beginners to weightlifting, but not to experienced weightlifters so much.

gymEvo
06-25-08, 10:17 pm
some good info here guys...thanks....also i've been talkin to a friend who used to take it..he claims it was worth taking at the time...but now its expensive and not really worth what it costs. I mean hey, if it works...the ingredients dont seem harmful in it...it might actually be worth trying...

legendkillerjosh, were u mass dieting durring that time frame when ur sqaut went up 75 lbs?

msktyshha
12-07-09, 9:53 am
HMB short for beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. Just found out about this stuff, some companies have this stuff under their name and claim it can build some good amount of muscle mass. haven't heard about it before. Anyone using this thing?

MELTDOWN
12-07-09, 10:16 am
Universal UK has it....

felipelpr
10-21-10, 7:33 pm
I'd used some times!

I always noticed some differences, specially when I took 4,5g a day.
HMB is one of my favourite supplements!