PDA

View Full Version : From Nights to Days

lumberjack
06-27-08, 5:51 am
I was thinking about starting a thread, not really sure why. My main reason was hoping to find some guys who work nights, and live there life back to front, how they eat, sleep and train, and fit it all in back to front.
I work a night shift, 5 days a week, and also some hours in the day, meaning i get broken sleep, im sure its the same for many guys, who work, who are fathers or maybe other reason, but for me it has had a huge effect on my training, and actually a positive one, time is so much more precious, i can no longer take my time in the gym, and i can no longer cook my food as i go, i got to make my food for the day when i wake up, take it off to work with me, or leave it in the fridge ready to mouth down, i have to train after work as most people do, and i just happen to work when everyone else is sleeping, its made me be more dedicated, and more motivated to get the best workouts i can, to feel every rep, to isolate each muscle group im working and to stay even stricter with my form, i am very anti cheat repping, even in growing season, i want to have a healthy body, and i dont want a bad back....ever, my dad suffers from it and its horrible.
I am by no means a beast, 220lbs at 6ft 1 and 17% bf means i got along way to go to being in the shape id like to be in id probs be around 185lbs maybe, but like alot of people its my journey, making myself 100% dedicated, not having that cheat meal,and the more dedicated i become, the more the results come, the bigger the pay off.

Themostocles
06-27-08, 7:10 am
I also work nights, 5-6 days a week. And I flip my schedule on the weekends. I cook all my food for the week on the weekend, I just don't seem to have time during the week. I lift about 8:30 in the morning, which is nice; the gym tends to be quite abit emptier. -T.

Appollonian
06-27-08, 7:11 am
Good luck man! I'm going to be starting a rolling roation of going to the night shift- every two months I'll be on the night shift. I've recently started making all my food for lunches at the beginning of the week and just putting the rest in either the fridge or freezer, and I find that saves a tremendous amount of time during the week.

Themostocles
06-27-08, 7:17 am
Good luck man! I'm going to be starting a rolling roation of going to the night shift- every two months I'll be on the night shift. I've recently started making all my food for lunches at the beginning of the week and just putting the rest in either the fridge or freezer, and I find that saves a tremendous amount of time during the week.

A couple of the guys I lift with do that, except they rotate every two weeks. And they run thru three shifts like that, I can only imagine how bad that sucks. -T.

lumberjack
06-27-08, 4:25 pm
great to see some of you guys are working the night shifts, rotation sounds impossible to deal with, i struggle with my 2 normal days each week, i lift about 8.30am also, and my gym is rammed with people who think an hour on the treadmill each day is like a ritual, i spose its the same as me, whats your gyms like?

Themostocles
06-27-08, 8:10 pm
I am cutting, so that treadmill time is a ritual for me too. But my gym has two big rooms, one for the soccor mom's and beginners, one for the free weights and the more driven. Everyone is respectful of each other, even if we don't mingle much. We don't have alot of fancy things, but its got what it takes to get the job done. -T.

lumberjack
06-28-08, 2:57 am
yoo im cutting to mate, but concentrating alot more on diet than cardio at the moment, i have a very physical job, and am a part time sports coach, so am going to see how it goes, will add more if needed.
my gym is a clutter of cardio machines, weight machines and a small free weights area, very annoying, if more than 5 guys are lifting, you might as well go home as 90% of them have no idea what they are doing, training random body parts, random exercises, weights, terrible form, almost makes you want to puke, i hate it so much.... the trainers are oblivious, just watch tv or give old ladies and fat people there shitty exercise routine.
no other place good that i can get to though, so got to make do!
reading dave drapers book at the moment and getting standard equipment to train at home might be the way!

Themostocles
06-28-08, 3:11 am
LOL, I would train at home if I had the room. Every gym comes with some measure of BS, but what are we going to do? Its like work, got its ups and downs. Thats the reason I have two gym memberships, depends on which BS I want to put up with that day. -T.

Themostocles
06-28-08, 3:19 am
BTW, I am assuming you are a lumberjack... -T.

k1usa
06-28-08, 3:57 am
I admire all you guys that work the crazy as shit hours...my hats off to you animals...thats fucking hard life bro

Themostocles
06-28-08, 4:08 am
I admire all you guys that work the crazy as shit hours...my hats off to you animals...thats fucking hard life bro

Not so bad once you get used to it. I am just glad I don't work second shift. I just flop my working hours with most people's sleeping hours, my free time lines up with most peoples. Sleeping sometimes is a bitch though. -T.

lumberjack
06-28-08, 5:33 pm
i wish i was a lumberjack, i have a love affair with woods, the outside, and i have quite a few big ol padded checkered shirts ha, im over in the United Kingdom, so no shot gun... not going to be doing a branch warren hog hunting session.
i just get to my days of and sleep for like 10-12 hours, its tough, but thats what you get when you dont want to work IT or some Office job, i like to be active, moving, so 2 jobs it is.
had legs today and now got my shift... going to be a slow night, i have never gone over 12 reps for legs, and saw an articlce in muscular development, well quite a few all over, and guys seem to like high reps, so i gave 15-20 reps a go and i only got as far as my 3rd exercise, leg extensions, sqauts, leg press and i was done, felt weak! and ashamed! hate conceding!

lumberjack
06-29-08, 1:02 pm
Results...other than the addictive ability of body building, and pushing yourself in the gym, Results come up pretty high on reasons to be healthy and why be keep pushing at it, improving are bodies, image, look, results count, improve are training and diet until we can perfect whats right for us.
Well i just finished week 3 of my diet, it hasnt got an end or a set week as such, my aim is to lose 3lbs a week until i reach about 10% bf, from that point, I can construct a bulking diet and as good as my diet will hopefully be, i have lossed 9lbs so far, and at about 3lbs a week it seems to be going good,i am dropping my carbs a bit more this week, so see how i cope.
Is anyone else dieting at the moment, what are you doing, hows your progress?

lumberjack
07-02-08, 2:48 am
diet is working, more motivation to keep at it, i realise im gna look a whole lot smaller, but i have decided to be in condition is more important than anything, and adding size must come second! bring on bulking season !

BigBlueBear
07-02-08, 3:18 am
Just checkin in as another night shifter here. I kinda flip flop what you're doing... I workout as soon as I wake up pretty much. Down my Pump with some EAA stack or a round of Nitro, then hit it 20-30 minutes later.

As per food... I'm lucky enough to have a full kitchen where I work and enough downtime that I can throw something in a pan and come back to it 10 minutes later to check on it.

Themostocles
07-02-08, 3:26 am
Just checkin in as another night shifter here. I kinda flip flop what you're doing... I workout as soon as I wake up pretty much. Down my Pump with some EAA stack or a round of Nitro, then hit it 20-30 minutes later.

As per food... I'm lucky enough to have a full kitchen where I work and enough downtime that I can throw something in a pan and come back to it 10 minutes later to check on it.

That would be awesome to have a kitchen, but my job doesn't complain about how often I eat so i still luck out. I tried lifting when I got up, but it didn't work with my schedule in the evenings. -T.

lumberjack
07-03-08, 5:32 pm
i cant deal with chaffing, its the one thing im gna say holding me back from really going for it, i do not have what i would say big legs at all, compared to anyone, but ive got to a point where they chaff all the time, i have to pull my boxers/trousers up right above my waist, i had compression shorts, but ive now outgrown them, so will need to buy new ones, but is this something everyone faces? i work a job involving alot of walking, moving, twisting and right now ive got boxers on, shorts on all yanked up my backside and my trousers done up tight... feel like a monkey.........
more cardio it is.... but i dont think it will get rid of the problem at all.

Themostocles
07-04-08, 1:54 am
i cant deal with chaffing, its the one thing im gna say holding me back from really going for it, i do not have what i would say big legs at all, compared to anyone, but ive got to a point where they chaff all the time, i have to pull my boxers/trousers up right above my waist, i had compression shorts, but ive now outgrown them, so will need to buy new ones, but is this something everyone faces? i work a job involving alot of walking, moving, twisting and right now ive got boxers on, shorts on all yanked up my backside and my trousers done up tight... feel like a monkey.........
more cardio it is.... but i dont think it will get rid of the problem at all.

Yep! I work in the heat too, and it only gets worse. Compression shorts are the only way I have found to go. I don't even have large legs yet, but I have narrow hips, so my legs are closer together. -T.

lumberjack
07-04-08, 5:28 pm
I totally agree with probably 75% of the content on the forums, for some people lifting and bodybuilding has been a life changing tool, and is there life through and through, some use it maybe even to a level on par with religion.
I am a Christian, I may not be the best one, but I strive to be the best Christian I can be, the same as I strive to make the best body I can, and here's my conundrum, body building is a hugely selfish activity, and then with the use of supplements, is this natural at all?
I am sure one could build a great looking physique just eating healthy food, I doubt they would reach a pro status or even Win a good quality show, but I was wandering are they any Lifters out there who do not use any supplements at all?
It is very tempting to 'juice' up or whatever you call it, I have been banned before for using that word I think, I dont want to be banned, just want to talk about it, seeing a 20 year old such as they guys on Muscular Development frequently... 20 years of age and clean? It is impressive, but there cant be anything else. I know they put alot of hard work in, but being natural, well to me means a whole lot more! You really have used hard work and the genetics you have been given to create something.

Appollonian
07-08-08, 1:14 am
I totally agree with probably 75% of the content on the forums, for some people lifting and bodybuilding has been a life changing tool, and is there life through and through, some use it maybe even to a level on par with religion.
I am a Christian, I may not be the best one, but I strive to be the best Christian I can be, the same as I strive to make the best body I can, and here's my conundrum, body building is a hugely selfish activity, and then with the use of supplements, is this natural at all?
I am sure one could build a great looking physique just eating healthy food, I doubt they would reach a pro status or even Win a good quality show, but I was wandering are they any Lifters out there who do not use any supplements at all?
It is very tempting to 'juice' up or whatever you call it, I have been banned before for using that word I think, I dont want to be banned, just want to talk about it, seeing a 20 year old such as they guys on Muscular Development frequently... 20 years of age and clean? It is impressive, but there cant be anything else. I know they put alot of hard work in, but being natural, well to me means a whole lot more! You really have used hard work and the genetics you have been given to create something.

Lumberjack, not trying to bring the Forvm into a discussion on religion, I don't feel that my use of supplements, almost all of which are Animal products, does not interfere with my religious views. I just worry about myself and let others worry about themselves, and set the best example you can for others to follow/be inspired by. I don't feel selfish at all, my body is my temple, and I want to take good care of what has been given to me. Being in top shape physically and mentally allow me to be a better ambassador, so in that regards, I do not feel selfish whatsoever.

Themostocles
07-08-08, 1:22 am
I am not sure how supplementing can interfere with religion, but then again I am not real religious. If you are worried about it, there are organic and all-natural supps. And at 20yrs old, testosterone is raging naturally, it can lend to huge gains and physiques. There all natural test boosters also, like longjack.

As for being selfish, to some degree it is. But it is all about balance and moderation. I balance mine against family, friends, and work. There are sacrifices on both sides of the line. BUt we can't devote ourselves to others all the time, nor can hold ourselves away from others. No man is an island. -T.

lumberjack
07-12-08, 2:31 pm
Thanks to the guys who replied, it was a un thought through post, which didnt need to be said.
So Sorry for that.
Diet had a downer of a 2 day binge... suffering on my 2 days off from work, if anyone works nights... days off are a lonely time, its hard to stay commited when your on your own till 7am, oh well.
Training will be harder and diet will be better this week!
Have 9 weeks to go! So its doable.
Have hit a peak with my biceps they wont grow, my triceps and forarms are improving no problem but my biceps I just dont get it, have tried sticking to no more than 10 sets like mentioned in the 'training' section, I have also tried slightly higher reps around 15 where i get a better pump, but neither seem to be working, a bit worrying, i am getting stronger on them though... strange.

WeeMan
07-12-08, 2:41 pm
As for being selfish, to some degree it is. But it is all about balance and moderation.

couldnt have said that better myself!

Have hit a peak with my biceps they wont grow, my triceps and forarms are improving no problem but my biceps I just dont get it, have tried sticking to no more than 10 sets like mentioned in the 'training' section, I have also tried slightly higher reps around 15 where i get a better pump, but neither seem to be working, a bit worrying, i am getting stronger on them though... strange.

dont worry about that, if they are getting stronger they are probably getting harder and more dense. youv not plateau'd at all!

Phoenix Rising
07-14-08, 9:34 pm
Little late to the thread, but I work nights as well. 2:30 PM to 2:30 AM, Tues-Friday. I get my lifting in on Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues. Work is about a 45 minute commute so that takes up a good amount of time as well.

lumberjack
07-16-08, 4:36 pm
welcome to the night shift madness!
anyone else catching the las vegas summer league on nba.com? pretty good fun!
i have hurt my knee this week, not sure when i did it, but its all inflamed which right now is meaning no cardio, no legs and no heavy weight carrying, which is hampering my work shift and hampering my love for chest workouts as i prefer to use dumbells over barbells, each to there own i spose. But im a big fan in incline presses and flys! I know my left side is weaker than my right, and for me using a barbell is not going to fix this problem!
anyone else ever had a knee op and had reoccuring problems?
i tore my meniscus last year and its the same knee thats hurting now... id quite like to avoid another operation, but we will see.
once its died down a bit, i will have to go back to medicine ball squats, single leg knee raises and step ups... should be fun.... damn injuries.

Themostocles
07-17-08, 9:17 pm
welcome to the night shift madness!
anyone else catching the las vegas summer league on nba.com? pretty good fun!
i have hurt my knee this week, not sure when i did it, but its all inflamed which right now is meaning no cardio, no legs and no heavy weight carrying, which is hampering my work shift and hampering my love for chest workouts as i prefer to use dumbells over barbells, each to there own i spose. But im a big fan in incline presses and flys! I know my left side is weaker than my right, and for me using a barbell is not going to fix this problem!
anyone else ever had a knee op and had reoccuring problems?
i tore my meniscus last year and its the same knee thats hurting now... id quite like to avoid another operation, but we will see.
once its died down a bit, i will have to go back to medicine ball squats, single leg knee raises and step ups... should be fun.... damn injuries.

It never goes away, you just learn to train around them and with them. My knee will never be back at 100%, but I get a 100% effort out of it every workout. -T.

Mcdiesel14
07-17-08, 9:24 pm
I was reading thru this thread about second shift being the worst I agree i'm at work right now and have been doing night work for the last 4 years not all bad but hey I get shift diff.(8% more money on the hour for working nights)

lumberjack
07-19-08, 5:14 pm
i to get a good % more for doing my night shift, over the day shift at the same job, i work a 11pm - 7.30am shift, and the outlook is looking bleak at the moment, cant handle it, im finding it great for diet, make my food, eat at work, i get a break every 2.5 hours, then sleep a good 8/9 hours during the day, no time to cheat, but also finding no time for a life either...
have to see, but having not such good qualifications, as well as a volunteer job, not left with many options..
lifting is going good, i am finding less is more, i used to be all about my 16-20 sets for bigger muscles groups and 10-14 for smaller, but now im going by feel, and sometimes arms may only get 5 or 6 sets to failure in, i find as im lifting less, im alot more stricter, able to get more reps out, feel a better pump, im getting stronger, but not sure about size just yet, but will keep at it, was wandering what your thoughts were on this, i want to gain size, strength second, is it still about finding out what my body responds to best? or should i be trying to get upto around 16-20 sets, and reduce the weight to keep up with the reps as i get fatigued?

returntodominance
07-21-08, 4:47 am
I work at a canning factory. My hours are 6pm to 6am with a 2 days off 12 days on schedule right now. I then come home and try to stay awake long enought to see the kids. My workout for the time being is non-existent. Any suggestions?

lumberjack
07-21-08, 5:57 am
that is brutal shift work, damn!
family comes before most things man, but with work and limited time with the family, your mental and physical health / happiness cant be to great?
is this the only type of work you can commit to?
a new job with a change in shift might be good, in the UK 4 days on 4 days off are quite frequent in warehouse work ever thought of looking into that?

returntodominance
07-21-08, 6:07 am
that's the thing. I was in the military foralmost 6 years so my oldest and the wife are used to me not being home alot. thank god I found a good woman. I wanted a job where the wife could stay home with the kids. To many weirdo's out there these days. I don't know about changing jobs, after 4 years of it I am used to it.

lumberjack
09-15-08, 1:43 pm
had a huge last 3 mnths, havent been on the internet, my girl of 6 and half years left me, i decided to leave university and ended my night job.... decisions, emotions... only thing ive kept at is my lifting... my dietwent to pot though, put on about half a stone, and im guessing most of that aint good weight, setting a new date, might even be my first show.
i am using hit training methods and i really love them, just push your ass off for 1 pyramid set after ive warmed up, 4 exercises a body part, finding new meaning to the words pumped or pain...

lumberjack
02-15-09, 1:01 pm
Just joined a new gym, ive always been member of mainstream fitness type gyms, with tonnes of machines, with set weights and hardly any free weights, well i found a simlar type gym, but it has its own little dungeon, seperate from the treadmills and bikes, and its just free weights, squat racks and benches.
Ive also got a new partner, I have hada few, but never for a long period of time, I either train real early or real late, and I train quite strictly, 1 body part per week, 2 on 2 off splits, but ive found someone who does the same as me, and he can go heavier, so im stoked.
We have been very focussed on compound, core movements, sqauts, dead lifts, romanian deadlifts, leg press, cleans, military press, flat bench press, incline and decline dumbell presses, real simple, 10,8,6 reps, opposed to 15,12,10 which I used to do.....
And ive added 5 lbs in 2 weeks, upped all my lifts am very stoked, just had to write about it, see if anyone else has had positive switch ups lately.

Weight
223lbs
6ft 1
Body Fat 20 ish % so pretty high

Bench Press - 1 rep max - 92kg
Squat - 80kg - 3 reps
Deadift - 125kg - 4 reps

lumberjack
02-20-09, 5:30 pm
bout 3 weeks in, stuffs going good! never had the joy of a good weights rack.... never been able to use wraps either, thought i was being a girl, used um and i love um, dont have to worry about losing your grip, just do the lift! good times!
its hard, u want to train for quality, but i get caught up in quantity, i will know i should stop and leave, but start something new, or leave feeling like i could of done more... but i know its the quality that counts! im currently adding some cardio to trim down, and a few lbs are coming off each week, just means i gta get up an hour earlier than normal, im sure soon enough it will work, want to lose about 25lbs, so its not a huge amount, we shall see.
we shall see! i dont wanna lost strength, so im still lifting heavy!
searching for that 100kg bench, got a dude whos doing reps for 125kg atm.... makes it look easy.. great for motivation!

jeff00z28
02-21-09, 2:55 am
i did the 12 hour shift things for the past 6 months at an IT job. i hated it for training. heavy days were good since i could do them on off days, but i couldnt stay lean. luckily (kinda) i just got fired last week. but thats ok im off to the air force after i finish my bachelors degree next year

lumberjack
01-23-10, 4:21 pm
not been around for a while, hoping to meet some people, and put a journal up and see how it goes.
this will probably be a bit like a diary, as lifting is such a passion of mine, that i will rant on I am sure.

I am following a mix of a powerlifting program and a bodybuilding type program, I train everything once a week, and everything gets hit with a low rep range and a high rep range, its working great for me, especially my arms and back.

Here is what I did this week.

Monday
UpperBody Day A

Morning is sprints about 6am
10 x 10m
6 x 20m
4 x 40m

Evening is Weights
Pressup combinations - these vary, I dont have a bench at the moment, so plyometric pressups are doing great currently. 4 sets of 15 reps
Standing Single Arm Row - 4 sets of 15 reps - 30kg
Tricep Kickbacks - 4 sets of 15 reps - 10kg
Shrug with 2 sec hold - 3 sets of 15 reps - 50kg
Lateral Raises - 3 sets of 15 reps - 5kg
Core - Plank for max time - 1min36

Wednesday
Legs
Squat Jumps + 5kg weight - 4 sets of 6 reps
Squat 8 x 60kg, 6 x 70kg, Max Set 5 x 82.5kg (Aim is 4, +1 up the weight next time)
1 Mile Run - Max - Didnt do it this week, was a late workout.

Friday - Upper Body B
Chin-ups
6 x 2
3 x 1
Total 15

Dips

Military Press
32.5kg x 20
32.5kg x 11

Bicep Barbbell Curl
4 sets of 8 x 35kg

lumberjack
01-24-10, 7:02 am
Probably something that is new to this forum is that I am training for a half marathon, as well as my regular training.
7.5miles today
11 min miles
pretty easy going

get a good few meals in me today and get back to it tomorrow.

lumberjack
01-25-10, 10:57 am
Monday - Week 5
Upper Body A
Press-ups
3 x 15
1 x 21 - Max Set
Yes yes I could be doing bench press, but I dont have one. And I suck at Press-ups and pretty much every body weight exercise, so my aim is to be able to do 100 in 4 sets. Then I will buy a bench, when I deserve one.

Standing Single Arm Row
3 x 32.5kg x 15
1 x 32.5kg x 20 - Max Set
These are good fun, I use a Barbbell pinned against a corner, stand up and row, really gets me working hard, I am new to high reps, the last 6 mnths everything has been below 8, I think my body will respond well to it.

Tricep Kickbacks
3 x 10kg x 15
1 x 10kg x 20 - Max Set
I kickback using Plates, I dont have any Dumbbells, these help with my grip as well as my Triceps.

Shrugs with 2s Hold
2 x 52.5kg x 15
1 x 52.5kg x 15 - Max Set
These are tough, I had got upto 90kgx6 with regular shrugs, but pausing and holding at the top is hard work, dropped the weight alot.

Lateral Raises
2 x 5kg x 15
1 x 5kg x 20
1 x 2.5kg x 15
These are hard work, lateral raises using plates, got to keep my grip strong, arms straight, really pushed these hard! Trying to sort out my front and lateral raises.

Aim is to get down to 95kg by Wednesday, on course at the moment. Will see how it goes.

lumberjack
01-25-10, 11:35 am
I have been doing Deads and Squats on the same day for 6 mnths, and I love it, but I want to try out some other exercises. My leg day is 1 day a week and I now choose 1 movement and after a few warm up sets go for a Max Set of aiming for 4-6 reps.

The exercises I have chosen are Squat, Front Squat, Deadlift, and Straight Leg Deadlift.
Week 1 - Squat
Week 2 - Deadlift
Week 3 - Front Squat
Week 4 - Straight Leg Deadlift

Now heres my pondering question - within those lifts, the Squat and Deadlift are the ones I want to improve the most - as I am preparing to compete in Powerlifting and those are two of the lifts.

Within these changes - should I add lifting from a platform - ie - Rack Pull Deadlifts, Or Myself on a platform so I have to go lower etc

I was rotating Deadlifts with Deadlifts from a 3 inch platform and making good progress, but I have never Front Squatted and after seeing guys Straight Leg Dead on ELITEFTS I think I am really missing out not doing them, but any advice would be great.

Ardent
01-25-10, 10:52 pm
had a huge last 3 mnths, havent been on the internet, my girl of 6 and half years left me, i decided to leave university and ended my night job.... decisions, emotions... only thing ive kept at is my lifting... my dietwent to pot though, put on about half a stone, and im guessing most of that aint good weight, setting a new date, might even be my first show.
i am using hit training methods and i really love them, just push your ass off for 1 pyramid set after ive warmed up, 4 exercises a body part, finding new meaning to the words pumped or pain...

True strength in my opinion is being positive in even what some would call the most negative of circumstance. All things happen as they should, when they should, because they should and that puts you where you are right now, exactly where you should be. Keeping at the lifting is definitely a path that i believe can lead to better times, this has been my experience anyways. Stay strong, stay animal, stay pumped, stay lifting.

lumberjack
01-27-10, 5:53 pm
Thanks for the advice bro!

Staying strong, working hard on my job and my training, things are going good.

Bit rushed today, so just got the main things done

Deadlift

6 x 60kg (132lbs)
6 x 90kg (198lbs)
3 x 110kg (242lbs)
6 x 140kg (308lbs) New Pb for reps, 142.5 next week.

Straight Leg Deadlift

5 x 60kg (132lbs)
5 x 60kg (132lbs)
5 x 60kg (132lbs)

First time doing it, will work on improving this each week, wanting to focus on technique.